Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sandy. Thanks for finding the podcast version of the show. If you're not listening on the iHeartRadio app, you should because there's a lot of great new updates, including the ability to set one oh three point one as a favorite, just like you do in your car. Open up the iHeartRadio app update and use it. Here's today's podcast. Okay, hello everyone, welcome to the show. If there is anybody listening at all right now, Hi, what are you doing.
Speaker 2: It's a holiday and it's cold and miserable in Austin, Texas. But we're glad that you're here. My name's Sandy. This is JB.
Speaker 3: Hello, trust us here, Hi everybody.
Speaker 1: Honestly, guys, I really do feel like we could say anything we wanted to say right now, just the most ridiculous thing in the world, and no one.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't get in any.
Speaker 1: Trouble because I don't think there's anyone listening. Martin Luther King day. The weather being the way that it is, kids aren't in school, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that way, people are sleeping.
Speaker 1: I did get a text message I want to share with you guys at You can text us anytime at seven three seven threes are a one to ninety six hundred. This is from Andrea. She said good morning to you all and a very special shout out to JB. I'm gonna miss listening to you all on the.
Speaker 2: Way to work.
Speaker 1: This is my last day. I need to leave for a medical procedure. Next week we'll but we'll be hoping to hear you while at home. You guys are the only ones that make me laugh and look forward to the day. You guys have an amazing weekend. This came in on Friday, and keep warm. So Andrew, I hope everything goes okay for you with whatever your medical procedure is. And as a reminder, you can listen at home. You can use your smart device if you want, you can use your phone.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell if she's leaving for a procedure or has a p it's just gonna be out of commission.
Speaker 1: It sounds like she listens to us on the way to work every day.
Speaker 4: Oh and her routines off well anyhow, Yeah, that's yeah, whatever it is. If it's throwing off your routine, that's serious and we wish you the best. We're here for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but listen at home. Too.
Speaker 1: You can use your do you guys know anyone that has a radio radio in their house?
Speaker 3: No, like the bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 5: You mentioned that.
Speaker 4: I was at my daughter's and she has an old school turntable from the seventies and old school seventies speakers, and then I turn on this receiver and I go just the tuner work.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was over there doing helping with some stuff in her apartment and I was like, oh, just the tuner and just scrolling through stations.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, she has old school radio.
Speaker 1: I probably Reddit thread that's just radio, and they're still This is really bizarre to me because it used to be a lot of fun. If you're a radio dork like JBN, and you were driving around somewhere, normally in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, you would do what it's called d xing, where you would just go across the dial to see how many different radio stations and listen to them to see how far away they were, you know what I mean, Like you could pick up stations in the Midwest, you could pick up stations at Mexico or Mexico right, you know, even here in Austin I've picked up a station.
Speaker 2: Out of Omaha in the middle of the night.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: But these there's this whole Reddit thread of what's the furthest radio station away you've ever heard? And I'm like, it's so irrelevant.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I know it's so irrelevant because you can just listen online to anything that you want to listen to, but it's still it's still kind of exciting when you're in the car.
Speaker 4: I've talked to my dad about that, because, like he grew up in that era where you could listen to Wolfman Jack mm hmm oh yeah and get all this underground, underground music like it. It wasn't the Lawrence Wolke Show. It was rock and roll and all this stuff. And I think, and I may have this all wrong, but they were broadcasting out of Tijuana, yes, where they could do three hundred thousand way at five hundred thousand. Whatever it was. That doesn't mean anything to the listener. The point is it could go across the country, especially in the evening in the night when there isn't as much noise pollution or whatever.
Speaker 5: And again I may have a lot of this wrong, but that's why they would stay up late.
Speaker 4: Listening to like Wolfman Jack and rock and roll and blues music and early R and B and everything and just on their car stereo, like my dad tells me stories of parking on a hilltop in Kansas where there are not many hilltops, just to listen to the radio and you just go, wow, that's that's pretty cool. And that's one generation ago one from us.
Speaker 1: I know. And next generation is going to have holograms of just jockey's in the car with them.
Speaker 4: Right, eh, Woffman Jack would like probably whiskey breath and all right.
Speaker 1: Next to you, Hey, Coming up on today's show, we do have some weather that's coming in and Trisia is just so excited, miserable, cold, so happy that's coming our way to we'll talk about that, and coming up next, Trisia's got the story we love.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 7: All Right, we have to talk about fire Aid. Fire Aid has been set up, the lineup has been announced. It is a lot of famous people in bands, so we're going to talk about who's going to be there when it is and how you can help.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with us the story we love Coming up next on Austin's eighty station, What O three point one? We've got a chance for you to one of a thousand bucks. Later on this morning, be listing at nine o'clock. It's the JB and Sandy Hour. We'll do it again tomorrow from seven until eight. Will be here for it this story.
Speaker 7: The lineup for the Fire Aid concert was announced and has huge, huge I'm sorry you had a little blip on my computer. Has huge names lined up for it. Here's some of the acts taking the stage. Billy Eilish along with your brother, Phineas, Gracie Abrams, Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Jelly Roll is going to be there, Joni Mitchell, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Pink Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks is going to make an appearance. Also, Dave Matthews and John Mayer are going to perform together for the first time. Another act was announced and some people are like that might have been a bit of a big, a bit of a mistake. Earthwind and Fire is going to take the stage. Other special guests will be announced in the lead up to the show. They're still adding to the lineup. The show is scheduled for January thirtieth at the Into it Dome and the Forum also January twenty fourth, if you want to get in on donating as well. There were also a live telethon streaming on multiple YouTube and Twitch channels the week before the concert.
Speaker 1: It's also going to air on at least one iHeart station in every single market across the country. And I don't have this confirm, but just based on the lineup, I'm guessing that will be on our sister station ninety six to seven Kiss FM, So.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing where that will air.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, does it say I understand fire relief and stuff, but where's the money going?
Speaker 2: Do we know that?
Speaker 7: No, that information was not released in this update, but I'm sure if they're having a telethon on YouTube and Twitch channels, all of the information about where it's going to go, how to donate, obviously, is going to be very very obvious to find out to see for them to tell you how the money is being used, which I imagine a lot of people want to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, boy that musicians and performers are sure asked a lot to donate a lot of their term and talent to things like this, and when this one really kind of hits home for them because a lot of those people live in that area, you know, they are most of the Palisades and close.
Speaker 5: To the successful ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's a tricky thing about this, Like, yeah, where does the money go to? Your point, Tricia, like you want to.
Speaker 5: Help it rebuild.
Speaker 4: Like I was watching on CNN this restaurant tour, third generation, this young woman, her parents, her grandparents started it.
Speaker 5: It's like, I want that money to go to that.
Speaker 4: I would like to think in Malibu, Pacific Palisades, the residents are okay financially in theory, right, I know it's still a devastating blow, but you know I want to I want to see the local infrastructure get rebuilt.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: How do I mean there's if there's not a grocer down the street, a convenience.
Speaker 7: Store, schools, grocery stores, it's all gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the essentials, not just the residents. That's what's so hard to get your brain around this.
Speaker 5: It's so devastating.
Speaker 2: I would have I imagine, you're right.
Speaker 1: I bet that that's where the money is going is to those things, the infrastructure of the mom and the pops, the businesses that have been around there for.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 1: A lot of those homes I read yesterday, quite a few of those homes are homes that are being inhabited by people that inherited those homes, you know what I mean. They're generational though that area, and they're they're you know, who ever bought the house probably bought it in nineteen fifty for forty thousand dollars. Yeah, I'm serious. And now, but think about it, it's not. Maybe that's what it's worth now right right.
Speaker 3: After it burned down.
Speaker 4: The dirt's still worth quite a bit, having like a Pacific view and all that stuff. But yeah, compared to what it was when the genera the home on it. How do we get in on that generational well thing?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: How do we miss that?
Speaker 2: Geez Oh yep, that's the mystery question.
Speaker 1: That's hey, I'll tell you he's got generational wealth? Is coach Sarkisian with his new contract?
Speaker 7: Did you say, yeah, yeah, they are not playing around you know, the NFL was sniffing around him.
Speaker 3: He ignored him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they reported him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not to mention other college programs like it's big business now in nil world and all this, like it's big business.
Speaker 1: I think he got seven more years and ten million dollars a year or something like that.
Speaker 7: Seven a four year extension and then nearly doubled his base pay for staying, and he gets some huge bonus for playing in the college playoffs semifinals. So he's around until like the what twenty thirty one?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow? Yeah, good for him.
Speaker 3: I know it's great, good for him.
Speaker 4: I think in this there's a lot of positives and negatives of this nil transfer portal era, but this is one of the ones that I think is good for a college, for a coach, this this is a pinnacle career thing.
Speaker 5: You don't have to go to the NFL.
Speaker 4: I sort of equate it to there was a time when when you made it to film, you wouldn't do TV.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Now TV is big business and Hollywood has figured that out. I think that something similar is happening in football, where oh my god, college like it's it's equally as exciting, if not more exciting. Yeah, and the pay is good and you don't have to be in the NFL.
Speaker 5: It's it's I don't know, this could be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of coaches that are not built for football, like it is, right, now though, with the nil the transfer portal and all that, the old school guys like they don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: That's why Nick Saben retired. You know. It's probably what Mac Brown's thrill death. He's not coaching right now.
Speaker 5: It's also over seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true. Run, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: And congratulations coach sark Well deserved. It's the JAB and Sandy hour more coming up on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Boy, I'm telling you you would think today is Christmas Eve for Triciaus. She's just so damn excited about this cold weather that has made its way into Austin.
Speaker 2: Yep, and I don't like it.
Speaker 1: A cold weather advisory is in effect until noon on Wednesday due to dangerously cold air and wind chill temperatures. Now I understand that it may start snowing later on this afternoon. They're saying maybe around six o'clock. A few flurries are possible during the day, but tonight that we might actually get some snow showers that could cover the ground, like.
Speaker 7: Maybe a two an inch of snow, potentially sandy kind and.
Speaker 1: Like Georgetown an inch and then kind of as you go east towards bass Drop gettings lagrange one to two inches and then Brian two to three inches of snow. And Tricia, it just loves this. Jabi and I you are are on the on the same page. I hate it. I hate hate it, hate it, hate it. Yeah, so okay, little history here. Tricia born and raised.
Speaker 4: Sauce tonight, So snow is super exciting. I've been I've been in Austin since I was twelve years old, so back to nineteen eighty I had so I had some experience in the in the Midwest right with snow and of true winter, and Sandy has some childhood Nebraska.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you hate it. I hate it. I just I can't eat.
Speaker 4: I don't even have the words of how much I hate it. And I get it if you're from here and you don't ever get to experience that, it's it's kind of a nice little treat throwing up with it.
Speaker 5: You're just like, here's.
Speaker 2: What Trician does it. Here's what she doesn't understand.
Speaker 1: I mean, like you said, I lived in Nebraska, but I also lived in the mother of all winter environments in Syracuse, New York.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: I forgot about that in your radio career. You did it, what two or three years? There?
Speaker 1: Just over a year, okay, Syracuse one winter that it felt like a decade. It did, and there were on two different occasions, I got to work at the radio station on the back of a snowmobile.
Speaker 2: That's how much. They don't measure it in inches there, they measure.
Speaker 5: It in feet of snow.
Speaker 2: Here's what Tricia.
Speaker 1: Doesn't understand about. She would like to have a full winter, three months of winter. What she doesn't understand is how sloppy the snow gets. That it gets lush slush and you got all over your house. You track it in your house. It's you got to bundle up when you go outside. You got to scrape your windshields.
Speaker 2: You've got to do. You got a shovel snow.
Speaker 1: Just going to the mailbox is a pain in the ass.
Speaker 5: My biggest thing I hate the most.
Speaker 4: And you won't to understand this unless you've dealt with a real wink wet mittens, the grossest texture, smell, every just wet legs.
Speaker 7: Just oh, I'm not saying that I want it to be Syracuse, New York type winters down here living in Texas your entire life. If there is the slightest hint that there could be snow or even just flurries. Everybody was like I remember as a little kid, my mom and my grandparents being like, it's gonna snow. It was always presented to me as this is so exciting. So it's ingrained in me that it's a huge deal.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: You probably also associated with school closure.
Speaker 7: Yes, not having to go to school. Is there anything greater for a kid than school getting canceled?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about the food.
Speaker 3: And it's about the snacks. That's exactly right.
Speaker 7: It's y'all, don't like it all the cold and being inside in your house and the cozy and the fire and hot chocolate and no school and let's make brownies.
Speaker 4: Or I have central ac and heat. I don't know if you've heard of it.
Speaker 3: It's a whole vibe.
Speaker 5: You can control a sperior year round to whatever you desire.
Speaker 2: It's the same temperature inside all year long.
Speaker 7: It's just something different. I mean, my god, Texas has gotten so hot. I mean the summers that we've had lately. When you walk out into like a parking lot, if it like you can smell the tires melting in the parking lot, on the cars.
Speaker 3: It's so hot.
Speaker 7: This is something different. It's a change of scenery. It's a new way to act.
Speaker 3: And I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a new way to act.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's different close. It's not flip flops for a change.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't last very long in a real winter, though I would.
Speaker 7: Again, I'm not saying I want Syracuse to come down here every winter, but come on, let us have the snow days.
Speaker 2: Come on. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: If school doesn't get canceled tomorrow, our daughter is going to lose her mind.
Speaker 7: She's already gone down the path of what she's doing on Tuesday, staying home, and what she's baking, and what movies we're gonna watch.
Speaker 3: If they don't cancel it, she's gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't need it, and i'd rather I'm like you, JB. I'd rather it be one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Five than I get why all these Cogers move to Florida. Yeah, I'm starting to work on my wife about a Florida life, like I have to leave from you know, run from some hurricanes.
Speaker 5: But no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This one wants to move somewhere where there's four seasons.
Speaker 3: Yes I do.
Speaker 4: Okay, you ever hear about anyone retiring and moving to New England or the Midwest.
Speaker 3: No, No, we're starting retired.
Speaker 2: Just our neighbor.
Speaker 3: They had vacation houses there.
Speaker 4: They retire Southern California, Arizona.
Speaker 5: To Mexico. Too much sun Florida.
Speaker 4: There's a reason all those people cannot be wrong.
Speaker 5: They just the life of it.
Speaker 1: But you know what's so funny and I can't wrap my brain around it. But our neighbor Chip and Share and they retired. They moved to northern Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, and I'm jealous every time I get just get a weather report from them. I want I want it to be really cold and build snowman's. I want there to be a leaf peep in time in the autumn.
Speaker 2: Probably apples in the fall.
Speaker 7: I might want to down on Christmas tree, but then also pick apples in the orchard. Taylor swift sweaters and smoke a pipe.
Speaker 2: Have an outdoor fire pit that you can actually using.
Speaker 7: Right, Yes, I want all those things that you see on postcard.
Speaker 3: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, I'm just looking at this this. So the weather is, it's supposed to come in tonight, so hopefully, I don't know, mostly everybody will be home by the time it starts light freezing rain snows.
Speaker 4: I can tell Trisha one thing that she's never had happened. It would change her mind entirely. And Sandy probably.
Speaker 5: Knows is getting your tongue stuck to a sled? Why are you looking at?
Speaker 3: Why are you looking a sled?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you another thing you don't miss it slipping and falling and smashing your tail bond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not fun a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so crumpy about the great weather God. Just for a little while, just enjoy it a little bit.
Speaker 2: We're Texas guys. We're not We're not like you you were born.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, it's the Jam and Sandy how Er. It's Austin's eighty station what O three point one? Hey, thanks for listening to the podcast. We'll see you on the radio every morning from six until ten on Austin's eighty station what O three point one streaming on the iHeartRadio app. You can also ask your smart speaker to play us. Just say Alexa, play what O three point one Austin's eighty station on iHeartRadio,