Speaker 1: Dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News affiliate. We're the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests. I you each and every week to the show, and once again this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about AI artificial intelligence with author Agg Liu, who's got a book written with Ashwari How are PhD. The book is called The Handy Artificial Intelligence answer Book. It is terrific and I can't wait to get into our conversations with Agg because I think I'm going to learn a lot and you're going to learn a lot, and we're going to have a lot of fun here on Guys Guys Radio. So I ask yourself what does artificial intelligence mean for work, for society, for our lives? What is it capable of right now? And what might it be capable of in the future. It's popping up everywhere Google Search is consumer customer service calls. I just had one the other day where AI handled everything perfectly, Netflix, YouTube, TikTok, algorithms, real time traffic updates, and routing Siri at Alexa, to name just a few. It seems that AI is pervading more, more and more of our society and we've got to get a handler on it. A lot of people ask, is AI going to take my job? Well, I think the key is that you've got to learn how to manage AI. It's a tool. It's going to take some jobs, replace some jobs, and it's going to create other jobs. So you have to be on the creative edge when it comes to doing things that a computer or algorithms can't do. The creativity, the emotional connection with other people, the problem solving, and that's how I think people are going to be able to continue to grow and get ahead. Our side is going to change. It's the same thing when you know, the Internet came up, and email came up, and fax machines came up, and the telephone came up, and the TV came up. When all of these things were unleashed on our society, we managed to deal with it and we managed to continue growing. And I think that's what's going to happen in AI. And today we're going to talk about the earliest forms of AI, how it works, what some of the ethical questions are, what are some of the fears associated with the idea of thinking machines, and more with special guests agg Liu right here on today's Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Guys Guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show, and today we're going to talk about AI. My special guest is agg Liu, author of the Handy Artificial Intelligence answer Book, a practical guide designed to help everyday people, professionals, entrepreneurs, and curious minds understand one of the most transformative technologies of our time, Artificial intelligence. You know, AI is no longer something reserved for scientists and tech giants. It's already influencing how we work, how we communicate, how we create, how we learn, how we shop, invest and make decisions. Yet many people remain uncertain about what AI actually is, how it works, and how it will affect their lives. And believe me, it will. So today we'll separate fact from fiction, explore the opportunities and risks of AI, and discuss how listeners can use the powerful technology wisely and effectively. Welcome to Guys Guys Radio A G. G Liu.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hello, good to be here.
Speaker 5: So I guess we should start at the beginning. You wrote this book with your writing.
Speaker 6: Partner, doctor Ashwari Powar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's here's the book. I'm in the middle of it, so I have a piece of favor there. I'll take it out. But it's fantastic. And the first thing I wondered when I was reading the book was I wonder if AI wrote this book for you.
Speaker 6: No, we did this all all manually, all manually. We we we really wanted the goal here to be something that would be accessible to people, right. And I think in this age of AI, where it's so easy to get AI to write something for you, the thing that's going to be more important is knowing exactly what to write knowing exactly what you can do that the I can't. And so when we created this, you know, the publisher with the publisher Visible in Press, they came to me and they said, hey, we have this great idea, want to write this book in this series about AI. And I created a draft, worked with doctor Powart to sort of turn it into the current format. And yeah, it's really meant to be for a general audience. It's meant to be for people, you know, like your listeners.
Speaker 5: You know, it's amazing. I've gone through the book. It's not one of these books that you have to read from page one to the end, but it's just a list of questions that are really good and has very clear, easy to digest answers. And I think anybody who has an interest in AI, and if you don't have an interest in AI, you basically don't have an interest in being part of the culture going forward. Because this is the it's here to stay. And the key is, as I tell my thirteen year old son, you know, don't worry about it taking your job. Learn how to use it because it's going to create so much more in terms of jobs. So nothing to be afraid of. But a couple of guardrails, of course, but concerns but not fear, and let's let's work with it. So for the benefit of everybody, because we hear, you know, about computing and Google, and then we hear about AI, and I think a lot of people are not sure how to make the differentiation between what's the difference between like googling something and asking a service like CHATGBT, what's the difference between AI and data processing computer typical computer stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so AI came out of that data processing idea, but it works a little differently. So the AIS that we talk about today usually are something called a large language model. Large because it's got tons and tons of these numbers inside of it that it uses to make its processing. And it's a language model because it works with human language. So the difference between something like a standard program and a large language model is that when we write a computer program, even something as complicated as say Google Search was before it became AI related, every line of code in there was created by someone with a specific purpose. So you'd have a whole giant team of coders. They would work together to create this gigantic algorithm and everything, and they would know how each part works. With AI, it's a little bit different. With AI. What you do is create a machine that can learn, hence the term machine learning, which is often thrown around in the same sentences as AI, And basically the way it learns it's not quite the same as a human but it has all these sort of tweakable numbers in it, and you give it tons and tons and tons of examples, you know, most of the Internet at this point, and it learns how to write human language by looking at those examples and trying to predict what's the next word in a sentence or a paragraph or something like that. And so it doesn't work in a way where we know how each line of it works. In fact, there's a lot of effort right now to try and understand what goes on inside these inside their little programming circuits here. So when you ask something like Chad GBT, it's not going to be necessarily quite as reliable as something like a Google search or quite as organize the same way. But it's going to have different strengths. It can do some things that are hard to program explicitly, things that are hard to explain about, you know, creative making, poetry, things like that.
Speaker 5: Fantastic. So what's the biggest mixed misconception and that people have about AI right now? The general population?
Speaker 6: Ooh, the general population. I would say a lot of people don't know what AI is capable of right now. I think a lot of people if they've tried AI, they you know, used it when chat GPT first came out, and they think, Okay, that's you know, from twenty twenty two. That's exactly how it is now. But it's gotten a lot better and different in certain ways.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Now AI it can work with text, it can actually write things out for you, it can work with images, it can work with so many different sorts of things. And one of the big problems with AI that's been true for a very long time and it's still true, is that it's not one hundred percent reliable. You know, sometimes it'll make things up. So the companies call this the hallucination. I prefer the term confabulation myself. It's just basically shamelessly guessing an answer. But what you can do is you can ask the AI where it got its information from, and it'll be able to send you links to other places on the internet. And that means you as a person can back up what this AI is saying. So again it's about, like what you're saying, how you use AI learning, how to use it effectively to help you instead of to mislead you.
Speaker 5: It's two thoughts here, agg One is why we question why AI seem to have shown up all at once. It's been being used, but I think it's been kind of unveiled to the general public recently. But oh is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so really it hit the public scene all at once, sort of in twenty twenty two with the release of chat GBT. The original version basically the methods of computer science, the logic behind how we build these systems has existed in some form for decades. It sort of became a to in research field in the twenty tens or so, but it wasn't hooked up to enough computing power to actually make something that would be useful for the general public or interesting to the general public. It was just, you know, a research tool. It could do something like play the game of Go, for instance. It was an ancient Chinese game that was famously beaten in twenty sixteen. They beat the best human experts. So it's it's right when that chat GPT moment was the first time that these older algorithms were connected to enough computing power to matter. And once companies saw how big of a prize that was, that's when they started throwing tons and tons and tons of their computer power and their money to build new computers and everything like that in order to make this the behemoth that is today.
Speaker 5: And now we've got talking about behemoth. You have companies like Navidia who make the process and video, yeah, the video, the processing chips, and then you have all these data centers being built and people are like, what's going on here? But using AI uses a lot of energy, I guess, So could you explain that how that works so people understand.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, So this is something we talked about in the book. The deal with AI is that it uses lots and lots of computing power both to make the AI do what you want in the first place. So training the AI, that is going through all those examples and having it learn the patterns of human language and how to answer questions and things like that. And when you're actually running an AI, it's a more complicated computer operation than something like older Google Search would have been. So you actually do need a pretty powerful computer somewhere in the world to be running that. And I don't want to oversell this. It's still using less energy than say, running a lawnmower or something like that. It's not going to be anything that's by itself. Each individual AI search isn't going to be a big problem. But once you have millions or billions of people using this thing, then it multiplies and then all of a sudden it's a problem. Now the electrical grid has to worry about can it power all these data centers and everything else that comes along with that.
Speaker 5: Now, as an expert in the area, what do you think, what's the answer to that? Because people are concerned, as you've seen all these data centers, it's all about surveillance. We're going to suck all the power. The grids are old that we can't protect them, et cetera. What do you see for SEA as a solution to this.
Speaker 6: As a solution to this, I'd say that we've known for a very long time that the power grid needs upgrading. It's just something that you know, every kind of person involved in the actual system says this is something that we need to work on, and so this is just adding fuel to that fire.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: The more these data centers they use power, they use power basically twenty four to seven compared to some of these other sorts of things. And so I really think that part that's going to be making the grid smarter, making it have better energy storage so that you can take energy that's coming in the daytime or the nighttime and smooth it out. That also helps because there's a very specific problem where data centers need power that's organized very cleanly. So you know that alternating current that's going through your wires. If that shape that that current is making as a little jagged, then the data center can't really use it very well. So there's a specific thing they'll do is if that power just loses that quality to it, they'll switch over to backup power. And then all of a sudden there's a bunch of extra energy on the grid, which is almost as big a problem, and it ends to be dumped somewhere. So basically all the same kinds of things people have been talking about for a while, you know, making sure we're having more efficient power plants and making sure that we have the energy storage. You know, solar is getting very cheap as much as it's kind of a meme and so so I think that's going to be the solution there. But then also there are some more technical ways to try and make AI more efficient on the chips that we have, which I could go into.
Speaker 5: Also, where do you see in terms of kind of the race for AI between the various big powers in countries on the Earth. Where do you see the US sitting? Are we in the lead? Are we number two? I mean, China obviously is highly evolved in the system. How about the other countries have they have they way behind? Or is it just the two of us or what do you see their agg.
Speaker 6: So it's pretty much just the US and China in the race at this point. There's a few European ones. There's some in the UK is involved in some I think there's a mysterl that's in I believe France. But really it's the American companies and the Chinese companies that are in the lead. But I also want to stress it's not just all of America are raising against all of China. It's a few American companies. You've got Google, You've got open Ai, you've got Anthropic, and they're raising each other as well as they're raising the Chinese companies. So you've got your q Win, you've got your Bidy and Ali Baba, all those guys. So it's not a monolithic thing in one or the other, I'd say that, But the US teams are, the US companies are in the lead right now. You know, the biggest news has been coming out of companies like Anthropic and Open Ai, especially with Claude Fable that's been in the news lately. So there's it's it's not an insurmountable lead. You know, there's a chance that depending on what we do, China could catch up. And I also want to stress that it's it's not a race in the sense that like if someone makes some AI system that's much better than everyone else's, we want it to be good, yes, but we also want it to be safe.
Speaker 5: M Okay, when you say safe, what do you mean.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a lot of dangers that come with AI. You know, again, there's a lot of positives, there's also some dangers that we have to watch out for. So one thing that's recently been in the news is cybersecurity. So using the models that are at the cutting edge of the AI systems to find exploits in the software that runs banks, or that runs important social media sites, or anything that has your data in it. And one of the issues that people are finding is that these ais are so good at finding bugs in this code that all of a sudden, the number of bugs that are known shoots up. So the responsible thing to do, which is thankfully what has been started to set it as a trend, is to give these models to the defenders. First, give it to the software companies, give it to the banks before you release to the general public. That way they can patch all the exploits that it defines. So cybersecurity is one issue. Another issue people talk about is synthetic biology is a little more speculative. But you know, maybe AIS could make people's work in biolabs more dangerous from people with less skill, could make something like a dangerous kind of germ. But then also in principle, if an AI gets smart enough, if it really wants something that's bad for humans, you know, something like turning the whole world into more computers, then we would have a problem with.
Speaker 5: That, right of course. Okay, yeah, my special guest on Guys Guys Radio Today, agg Liu and his Agg's partner Ashwari. How are PhD put together this wonderful book and it's called The Handy Artificial Intelligence answer Book. You folks did a great job with it, reily fantastic and I'm reading it at the same time as my thirteen year old son and we just you can just open up a question or ask a question, look it up and the answer is there. It's just it's really fantastic. And I urge everybody to get a copy of this because you really want to learn about this. This is going to be part of our lives and it's up to us how we use it. You mentioned AGG finding little holes and things, and I was reading about medicine how artificial intelligence can help medicine where maybe they read a scan or something and they can pick things out ahead of time that traditionally that the physicians may not be able to see. Talk to us a little bit about that, because that's a really good thing, and is there an issue with that that maybe because sometimes AI is wrong.
Speaker 6: So yeah, So I'd say medisine is one of the areas people are most optimistic about when it comes to AI. This is one of the areas where we think it's going to be a great tool. It's already starting to be a great tool because is an area where your body is so complicated. There's so many little systems. There's so much that could be changed by something like a medicine or something by a treatment like a surgery or something like that. And having a machine like an AI that's very good at finding patterns and data that's sort of its fundamental job, makes it a lot easier in principle at least to diagnose things. Like they could work with a radiologist looking at an X ray and see, okay, maybe I can flag little points on the X ray image that the radiologists might want to look at further. Or it could help look at what your specific symptoms are, what your specific test results are, and find is there a drug out there in the world already that can treat your disease maybe better than it would be able to treat someone else with a vaguely similar but not quite the same disease. Already in clinical trials, you know, people are testing medicines that AI has come up with. The AI is searched through all the possible goals and to see what might actually be helpful to our bodies that have hurtful to it.
Speaker 5: At that same on the same note, a g G is a AI being used to find holistic cures, if you will, for maladies that people have. Because I was watching the news this morning and one of the guys, some science or you know, medical expert, came on and was touting AI developed vaccines. Now, depending on how you feel about vaccines, some people yeah, no way and uh and now they're going to use this against us, and other people like, oh, that's great. What's your take on AI being I guess a lot of it depends on who's behind challenging AI to come up with stuff, and so I guess the question is how's that being done? And are they looking for natural stuff as well as you know, farmer based solutions When it.
Speaker 6: Comes to of course, of course, you know, I'd say there's there's nothing saying AI has to do one exact approach to medicine. You know, there's nothing in the systems that are saying it has to follow this farming based approach. The way you're talking about, you know, people are talking about using it to help people's mental health, to help people's wellness in their exercise programs or in their general lifestyles, or you could even look at it, you know, to find remedies in nature that kind of stuff. You know, are there plants out there or are their animals or other sorts of you know, mushrooms I don't know that have have these these useful properties.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: And so again, AI is a very good pattern matching tool. It can find patterns and data, it can find information that you might overlook. And so yeah, I'd say definitely there's a great capability to help with with wellness beyond just targeted drugs and surgeries and things like that.
Speaker 5: Now, an obvious area where AI can help but also possibly replace human jobs is through customer service. I went on I had I had a question. I got a bill from the DMV and they had this is a license fee and this is a registration feem out here in California for a least vehicle. So I'm like, well, my license is up at the end of the year. Is this refer to that or whatever? So I went on the A I went onto the website and an AI chatbot came up and I actually put in exactly what my situation was and they answered it perfectly. It was a lot better instead of my usually going like representative representative. You know, I got the AI and they were they just nailed it, and it took me half the time. I didn't have to wait. I you know, I'm not super clear all the time, and they understood exactly what I wanted and it gave me the correct answer.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think that's an awesome use kid, and thought it worked for you. I'd say that there's there is an interesting question there, which is AI is very good, say ninety nine percent of the time, and then occasionally it'll run across something that it can't generalize its training data to to something your new situation as as easily. So I think it's very good to maybe have a sort of like the first person you interact with or person in big air quotes, right, you have that opportunity to have the AI talk to you and see if it can answer your question quickly, and if maybe the AA is not sure what's going on, or you have some more additional questions that you're not sure if it's answering correctly, then you have the opportunity to speak to a person. I think that would be a very good system. With the level that AIS are now, maybe in the future they'll become, you know, even more reliable and we can actually use them one hundred percent of the time. But I'm I'm glad that you're talking about, you know, using AIS to to talk to people directly, because you know, even in customer services one area. Another area is like if you imagine in medicine, if you have someone who's like a doctorate a rural area and they can have the AI check in with patients first and then refer to them anything that they need to make decisions about with their human judgment and so so really you having the AI augment humans and these these interactions with people, I think is an interesting and fruitful area.
Speaker 5: So it's another layer that can actually help us.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, and I think for the moment, and again this may change as AI continue to develop. The best way for you to be using AI is to augment your human judgment, your human decisions, and your human abilities.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is just like one example of it, but there's lots of examples all over the place.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic and I think it comes at the right time because I don't know if you agree or disagree, but a lot of people aren't very good at their jobs nowadays, nor do they care that much. And a lot of people are real layered at their jobs. So this is just another layer that can be helpful and actually I think can save time. I think let's talk about some of the workplace. There's certain jobs, like you know, you go to a law firm and you have all these associates and they spend all the time in the library and all that and all these hours. That's going to change and I don't know if those folks are needed, but what is needed in the legal professional least not just use this as an example of how AI can do certain things and not other things. You're still going to have to have a kick ass trial lawyer. And you can't put AI right now. You can't put AI in a robot and put it in front of a jury. You've got to have somebody within charisma who knows how to make that emotional connection with a jury in an audience. So some people are going to be even higher valued and other people maybe their jobs will go away, or maybe they'll have to work with AAR or whatever. How do you see the is it an industry by industry case where the model in terms of how much AI and how much human is going to work in some instances where do you see more people, more jobs coming out of the use of AI. I know I threw it a lot at you, but.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll take it one one step at a time. So, yeah, there's a lot of talk about AI and job laws and if you can imagine previous ways of automation, something like the Industrial Revolution when least first had steam engines instead of happening to you know, weave cloth ourselves, it really changed the nature of work and there was a time period where a lot of people lost their jobs before they were able to find new ones and find new opportunities in this industrial economy. And so the same way right now, we could have that same scenario. Right A lot of jobs that currently exist are going to be very different or potentially non existent because of the way AI is. So, like you said, all those paralegals out in the trying to research things in the library and so forth, like that, their job is going to be different, and maybe maybe there'll be fewer of them needed per law firm. But there's a there's a really interesting story about ATMs and bank tellers that people like to tell, which is that once ATMs were first invented, everyone's like, Okay, that's it, We're not going to have any bank tellers anymore. But actually, for a couple decades, the number of bank tellers actually increased. Really yeah. And the weird reason it turns out is that because ATMs made it cheaper to operate a bank branch and people wanted more bank branches closer to them, all of a sudden, there'll be fewer tellers per branch, but now they were more branches, so it made.
Speaker 1: Up for that.
Speaker 6: And so there's the same phenomenon might happen with this way of automation, with this kind of AI if you work in a kind of job that people might want a lot more of. So if you are a nurse or a physician's assistant, you know, people might if they became richer or if they had more free time on their hands, but they might want to have more medicine, you know, to help them be healthier and live longer and so forth, or you know, holistic medicine like you said as well, if you're in something like that, then maybe this will apply to your job too. Maybe the kinds of things you'll doing will change. You won't be doing as many other routine stuff that is easy for the AI to do, but the remaining parts of the job, your judgment, your interaction with people, those kinds of things might become even more in demand. So yeah, so there's there's those kinds of jobs where they grow an opportunity as the AI gets better. And there's also kinds of jobs like with physical manual labor, things like being a welder, things like being a plumber or an ash fact technician where it's very hard to train an AI to do that right now because the AIS need lots and lots of data and there isn't just lots of data on exactly where to put your hands, and there's not the robots that can be those hands for the AI.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, you could use let's say you're a plumber. Maybe you can't get a robot right now to go under the sink and fix a leaky pipe, but the plumber could refer to AI to get the right answers to what part they might need, what branch they might need, something where on the fly, you know, they might have to be a lot of trial and error and having the AI as a researcher could really help them and they could do a better job.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, even as you know, a writer, I'm a little bit of a different job. But I often will go to AI not to actually write things for me, but to say, hey, can you give me some sources I can look at? Can you give me some ways I might want to phrase this. I might not pick the one that it chooses, but I might use it as inspiration. You know, there's a lot of ways right now you can use AI to augment your job, and I think if you can learn how to do that right now, you'll be in a more advantageous place as AI continues to develop.
Speaker 5: Absolutely my special guest agg lu right here on Guys Guys Radio, we're talking about the Handy Artificial Intelligence answer Book. Really fantastic and I'm enjoying this conversation, so thank you for being here. Of course, you're a very smart person. How did you get tabbed to do this book?
Speaker 6: Well, so I am pretty, you're young.
Speaker 5: You're pretty, You're pretty young.
Speaker 6: I'm on the younger side. Yeah, I'm in my late twenties. Yeah, so I had previously worked on a book. You can see over my other shoulder. If you're watching the video called thirty second Space Travel. This is a book about the history of physics and a space travel came out a few years ago. I worked on that along with my dad, doctor Charles lou and the publisher for this book, for the HANDYAI answer Book had worked with my dad on other books in this series. So there's a whole handy answer book series. There's you know, the ones my dad had worked on were Handy Quantum Physics answer books some other ones like that, And he was looking around for, you know, people who would have the technical skills and the writing skills to be able to do this, and be lucky that he came across me and very happy to do this.
Speaker 5: Fantastic. Well you stepped up. You've done a very impressive job. Thank you. Education. Let's talk about education a little bit. My wife spent many years in education at the very high levels in New York City, been part of the Principles program through Mayor Bloomberg, and also was a kind of a coach for teachers in various school systems in tough neighborhoods. And she asked me about this, what do you see the role of AI in terms of you've got on one hand, you've got the role of teachers has changed and that they have to have like a common standard, just like in medicine, where they have to teach a certain way certain things and that's it. And how will AI impact that? Is that a good thing or not? And then from what I see when I was talking to you have, well, students are using AI to get to do their tests and the teachers are using AI to grade the test and reports. That seems like a really fluid situation at GIGI.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's something that's changing very quickly in real time. I would say we've comeing across similar problems like this before. You know, if you are a math teacher and you've you know, been in this for fifty years, you know someone who's been it for fifty years or was there fifty years ago? You know what calculators first came onto the scene. That totally changed the game of math teaching all of a sudden. You know, it was useful still to teach people how to add some tract multiply, but it wasn't the bl and do all of everything anymore. All of a sudden you could unlock because these students have access to this calculator some new ways of teaching, some new topics that they might not be able to do or that might not be able to cover in as much depth without it. Similarly, we're going to have to adapt to AI because it's it's out there in the workplace. If you want to teach kids how to you know, do their actual job, they're going to be able to use AI. It's going to be there and accessible to them for you know, ninety nine point nine percent of people. So I think that you know, the English teachers grading essays, are people grading tests and things like that. They need to adapt the same way the math teachers did. And maybe we'll have a good way at some point of saying, ay, you know, don't use AI on this one question, because we're going to be watching you in class, and so we want to prove that you can do it. But once we know you can do it, maybe you're allowed to use the AI and sort of critique its answers, you know, say, use your own judgment again for determining whether the AI said something that's worthwhile or not worthwhile. And it's it's really something that's going to take a lot of adaptation, and you know, the school system takes us a long time to adapt, so it's gonna it's gonna be a little bit tough during those those yade as well as happening. But if you're as if you're a teacher and you're listening to this, I'd say, you know, try and see if you can work AI into your classroom and not just on a service level, but on a way where it's actually contributing to the student's understanding of this new tool in their life.
Speaker 5: Great idea in terms in terms of accreditations with AI. So everybody needs to learn how to use AI. Just had like everybody had to learn how to use the Internet, and everybody has to learn an email and all of that stuff at the very beginning. So what what would be good steps in terms of somebody they want to get comfortable with AI. Should they take a coursive course or something? Is that necessary? How do you start using it to have a skill that you can leverage because I got to think that everybody who goes for a job nowadays is going to be asked about AI and how do you prove you're good at it versus somebody else? Do you need it do you need accreditation?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I don't know if it's going to be, you know, a formal coursework accreditation situation. I think there that might turn out to be something that people find useful. But if you want to get started using AI in your job or in your life, you can just go online to the AI websites. You know, the big ones. Got Claude, You've got Chatchipt, You've got Gemini from Google. And if you start interacting with it, and you interact with it knowing that it's an imperfect tool, but it's still pretty good at a lot of things you can learn over time just by by doing basically, and so you can have those conversations with AI. You can maybe give it a task that's not super important that you could maybe redo if you need to, and see what it's good at and what it's not good at compared to your specific job, to your specific kinds of jobs that you are interested in doing and are able to do. And and yeah, there's there's a lot you can do in terms of just trying the thing and seeing if it works. I'm always a fan of hands on learning. That's just my style.
Speaker 5: I agree, I agree, Yeah, But if you go ahead.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, of course. But yeah, but I think that they're I mean, obviously we've got my book. I'm happy for you to read it if you want to learn about it there, but there's also online resources and various other kinds of guides people have, and I'm not sure exactly which ones are the most useful besides you know the one that I wrote. I have a little bias there.
Speaker 5: Well, let's talk and you did a great job, so highly recommended. Let me hold up the book again for everybody who's on video, the Handy Artificial answer Book a gg Liu and doctor Ashwari.
Speaker 8: How are yes?
Speaker 6: Am I co author?
Speaker 5: So now there's you mentioned three of the AI big brands. If you will, Chat, Yes, quawed, and Google has what's Google Gemini?
Speaker 8: Gemini?
Speaker 5: Okay, so what is the for people out there who are not sure? I mean, everybody steps in, they tiptoe in, and they play around with chat and they do the free version. So let's talk about chat first. What's chat good at? And is should you go beyond the free version? And if so, why would you need to go beyond the free version? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 6: So the difference between the free version and the paid version is which model you're using and how long it's allowed to process for. Basically, so one of the things that's been discovered since chat GPT first came onlines you know in the past few years is that you can have an AI model I think through its actions word by words like okay, write down step by step what you plan to do, what you're thinking at any given moment, And because that basically gives it more time to think, it actually does produce a better result in a lot of different cases. So if you're using the free version, I'm not sure what the details were at any given moment because they keep chaining in the pricing system, right. But often when you're using the free version, it is a limit to how long it can think through that thing it's called a chain of thought. I mean there's a limit to how it longest chain of thought can be. You may be using a model that's older or a model that is easier to run on their data center, whereas if you're doing the paid version, they'll give you access to like a like a beefier one. They'll let you have it think for longer. And often that means if it's trying to do some analytical tasks, something like you know, processing a spreadsheet or something like that. It can actually do that better, and you'll maybe it'll design its own spreadsheet functions and so forth if it has that bigger model, if it has that longer time to think. And this really applies to any of the big ones. Son, whether you're using chat GBT or Cloud or geminis, it's all pretty similar in that vein. I think the reputation is that Cloud is better with hard elical tasks, things like you know, trying to design your own programmer spreadsheet or something like that, and Chat gypt is a little bit better with like emotional task or creative tasks. But they're all pretty similar in that regard. I'd say which one uses a lot and you know to do with your personal preference. Just try them all out and see which one works and which ones you can afford to pay for if you want to.
Speaker 5: So I guess, for instance, I'm working on a book proposal. I wanted to do the proposal. I've written the proposal. I was thinking maybe I should just shove it into chat EBT and see what it comes out back with. Maybe they'll have some ideas and I can tweak some things. How would how that's just an example of how you know, you eiser, let chat to the work, or you do the work and let chat take a look at it. So if you have let's say you have a document, how do you put it in? And how do you get what prompts? Because everybody everything, I real it's all about all these prompts like read and this and that, all these the code words that you're supposed to use to get the best information. Back talk to us a little bit about you know, both bosth of those things, the prompts, and also how do you input something to get the best response.
Speaker 6: Okay, so a lot of the websites now, ones like Claude is the one I use the most, but also chat GPT and I believe alsod Gemini. You can attach it as a file the same way you would attach it to an email. You could even just copy paste the entire thing right into the chat text bus and it'll be able to read that. In terms of prompts, this is an interesting one. Prompts you want to emphasize to the AI. Remember the AI is trying to match patterns. It's trying to look at the text. You gave it and see what someone answering a question on that text with the question that you asked would actually say. And so the better question you can ask, the better result you're going to get. So if you want to say, hey, I just want it, if you just want it to check your grammar and your spelling, then just tell it that in normal English words, you know, detail, maybe the way you'd explain to and of yours.
Speaker 5: Like clean up. They could clean up a document for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, say please clean up this document. Even you can do multiple senses, Please clean up this document. I'd like you to check the spelling and the grammar, especially in these particular ways. And you can even say something like and I want it to sound formal, or I want it to sound personal, or I want it to sound something like that. And they're actually really good at reading these regular English descriptions. So if you don't know the magic keywords to make the prompt do what you want, the reasonably good thing to do that that still works is just describe exactly what it is you want in as many sentences as you need, because these things can pay attention to, you know, a whole document at a time. If you have a paragraph of instructions. They have no problem with that.
Speaker 5: How about these codes that I keep reading about and I see people pop up on social media, Here's the five code you need to know to get the most out of JATGBT, And I'm like, although I really need to so I have like my bookmarket and then I forget about it. But these things important and what are they?
Speaker 6: What's the I haven't found them super important myself. So I notice that among people who are heavy users of AI, so people who I know who use it the most, what they'll often do is give the prompt because so when they're asking the question, basically, this is what we mean by the prompt, they'll give the AI these questions and descriptions about the kinds of formating, and they're like, you know, do you want to give me just the information and bullet points, or please give me a longer paragraph describing this in detail, or please give me sources that I can go look at myself. But they'll they'll basically have a few of these typed paragraphs already and they'll just paste one right in and then edit it to be the specific instructions for the specific question. And it's not a magic box. It is a tool that we don't It's a toil that we don't understand perfectly exactly all the details of the inside. But it's a tool that we know overall, matches patterns and tries to answer questions according to the patterns inside of its head.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, you can just talk to it a lot like you talked to a person. Talk to someone who may not have experience with exactly what you're dealing with, or may not know you very well, but you can just give them instructions in normal English language and it'll follow those reasonably well.
Speaker 5: So I'm sorry. So you said the code words are super important or are non important.
Speaker 6: The code words are not very important if you can make a good alternative, which is just describing it.
Speaker 5: If you can articulate what you want, just.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't need any code words for that. If you can articulate what you want, then you're good.
Speaker 5: All right, Wow, you're doing such an amazing job. Agg Thank you. Could you just take a few minutes and tell everybody out there what they really you're an expert in the field. Tell everybody what they need to know about AI and what's the best way for them to get started.
Speaker 6: All right, So you can get started by talking to it. You can go online, you can go to one of these things. You can talk to it, and you can see what it feels like, see what kinds of things it's good at, and what kinds of things it's bad at. Over all the things that you need to know. It's a pattern recognition machine. It matches language, and it's very very good at matching language, which is why it sounds so coherent, why it's very good at answering people's questions. It's getting better over time. So if you tried it back when chat GPT first came out in twenty twenty two, you're going to have a different experience with it now, and it's going to be even smarter in the future. You know, this is as dumb as it will ever be, as the saying that it goes. And also it's something that we need to make sure is safe going forward, both in terms of people misusing it to cause trouble, whether that's with cyber attacks or whether that's with bio areas or anything like that, or in principle, if the AI gets out of our control, you know, if it starts going maybe exactly like something like Terminator, but it's something that is on people's minds. There are people who care about this kind of safety and the people who are working on it.
Speaker 5: Now. If you sign up for it, like I signed up for the free version of Chat a little while ago, does it automatically upgrade to the newer versions? Or do I have to upgrade on my own? Do I have to anything?
Speaker 6: You don't really have to do very much. It'll it'll automatically get to the new versions on its own. If you want an even newer version than the free version can revide, you can subscribe to the paid version. Obviously you aren't powerful itself, but yeah, so it's it's it's like Google. You know, if Google makes an update to itself, you just still go to Google dot com and type in your search. It'll do the same thing.
Speaker 5: There is there any concern last question with your personal information and some of the things you're asking maybe yes, a legal situation. You're asking some questions about how to handle a specific situation or case, and you don't want them because if somebody's holding onto this information, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, someone is holding onto this information, So especially if you're using the free version, one of the ways the companies sort of help pay for that is they'll take your chance and they will use that training data as as training data for the next version. So there have been a couple of high profile cases where some companies someone isn't using it correctly and they don't understand that your day that isn't private by the time you put it in there, and you know there's at least something important, and that's always always a danger. So if you're really worried about that, you can look into services where you can run it, you know, your own version of chat EPT that doesn't go to the training data that usually costs money. Or you can be careful with the kinds of questions.
Speaker 8: That you ask it.
Speaker 6: You know, give it, don't give all the specific details that would be privacy violating.
Speaker 8: Got it?
Speaker 5: The power problems an impact of artificial intelligence my special guest on Guys Guys Radio agg LU you did a great job. I hope you'll come back list. I just this is the this is the tip of the iceberg in terms of the questions that I have and our listeners have. So tell everybody my pleasure, tell everybody where they can find you more about you and your book, because I think you've got a bright future.
Speaker 6: All right. So this book, the Handy Artificial Intelligence answer Book from Visible Ink Press. It's available anywhere you get your books, you know, whether that's online or a physical store. We really appreciate it. If you do order it in a physical store. That gives us more publicity, that way, more and more than anything. And if you want to see more of me, I have my own podcast that I do with my dad that I mentioned before, the l Universe Liu Universe. It's available on YouTube and all the places you get podcasts.
Speaker 5: Fantastic, Well, great job, thanks so much. I hope you'll come back and best of luck with the book and all the work you're doing because you're terrific.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 5: A fascinating conversation and we only were at the kind of the tip of the iceberg about artificial intelligence with Agglu who did a I think a masterful job and putting this book together, and also it's a great reference book and also just giving us a great overview on AI, how it's different than traditional computers and coding and databases and what we need to be aware of and how we need to learn how to use AI as the tool that's going to become a part of our lives for the rest of our lives. So it's a good time to kind of educate yourself. So we so talked about, you know, how the computers and AI are different. Why is data considered more important than algorithms in AI? Some of the things that AI will be able to do for us, and some of the things where it won't be able to replace the human element, and some areas where it can. So, as we mentioned earlier, AI is a tool, so it's going to replace some services, but it's still going to open up more opportunities in terms of development and creative solutions, creation, et cetera. AI is not the answer to everything, but it's a useful tool and can really help you get ahead. We talked about a little bit about chat, GBT and Claude and the Google service what's the name of it here, But there's a lot there's a lot of options that you can look at when you're looking at AI, and there's courses you can I think Kusera has a course on just everything about artificial intelligence, but also you could start with this book which is fantastic. It's over four hundred pages long and it's just strictly questions. For instance, I just flipped open to a page, how is AI helping older adults with medication management? Or here's another one, how does AI contribute to social interaction and combating loneliness and older adults. I mean, it's got the chapters on everything. Any question you could possibly dream of is addressed in this book, as well as an overview and suggestions who are where and where and what you resources to use if you want to learn more about AI and use it to help you in your career, because, as we discussed, you're going to have to know how to use AI to get ahead in this world going forward. It's just it's something. It's like the Internet. It ain't going away, folks, So study up and have fun with it. It's a great tool and you can have a lot of fun with AI. Thank you, Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, Guys Guys finish.
Speaker 1: First NBC News on CACAA Lomelanda sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, protecting the Future of working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 8: Org, NBC News Radio, I'm Scott Carr.
Speaker 9: Millions across the eastern US are facing extreme heat. Heat wave continues ahead of the fourth of July weekend. The most extreme temperatures so far farm in the Great Lakes region, parts of Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois. Because of the heat wave. Of the Trump administrations issuing emergency orders for a mid Atlantic power grid. The Energy Department aims to maximum output. Energy Secretary Chris Wrights issued orders to dispatch more power generation from several fossil fuel plants during periods of high demand. Emergency warnings are being issued by the Governor of New Jersey, Mikey Cheryl.
Speaker 10: Governor Cheryl says the heat is not just uncomfortable, but severely dangerous.
Speaker 11: It's the hottest stretch we've seen in over fourteen years, and it's the number one extreme heaps the number one weather related killer in America, more than hurricanes, more than floods, more than extreme cold combined.
Speaker 10: Cheryl also said the state is working with local towns and counties to coordinate cooling centers across New Jersey. I'm Lizzie Redibali.
Speaker 9: Tonight, the US begins the knockout stage of the World Cup, taking on Bosnia Herzegovina in Santa Clara, California. Earlier today, England defeated the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Atlanta with two goals from star Harry Kane, and now Belgium and Senegal are facing off in Seattle. President Trump is on his way back to the White House after spending the day in North Dakota, entering a figure he says embody the heart and soul of America in the city of Medora. Trump was there for the dedication of the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library in Venezuela. Search and rescue teams are still coming through the rubble after last week's earthquakes killed nearly two thousand people and injured more than ten thousand. The quakes toppled entire condominiums in the heavy populated northern part of the country. Official say the death toll has risen to more than nineteen hundred. The UN is seeking about fifteen million dollars to set up temporary shelter for about thirty thousand people left homeless.
Speaker 8: Scott car NBC news radio.
Speaker 12: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, The Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org or to enroll today, that's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 7: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be, Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guy's Guy Radio, Better Men, Better World.
Speaker 9: The CDC says it's now trying to find the source of a parasitic illness linked to what they call explosive diarrhea across several states. The agency says at least one hundred and forty five cases of cyclosporiasis, a type of food poisoning caused by a parasite has been reported in seventeen states. They say about twenty people have been hospitalized with severe symptoms. Conditions not usually life threatening, but people can experience cramps, nausea, fatigue, and vomiting. The relatively new Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Kevin worsh is saying that inflation risks have declined over.
Speaker 8: The past few weeks. More from Matt Mattinson.
Speaker 13: This is due to energy prices dropping following the US and Iran signing a memorandum of understanding to end the ongoing war last month. According to Walsh, the Central Bank still has more work to do, but it'll stay independent regardless of what President Trump wants. He made the comments while speaking at a gathering of central bankers in CenTra, Portugal. The Fed chairman also added the Reserve is monitoring the AI industry and predicts that it'll create jobs due to a boom in capital expenditures.
Speaker 9: Thanks to high summer heat this year, the sweet corn season could arrive a bit ahead of its usual mid July peak. In Iowa, some favorite roadside stands are opening for.
Speaker 14: The fourth Good Iowa knows the best sweetcorn comes from the back of a pickup. When Instacart recently revealed which states by corn on its grocery app, it wasn't Iowa topping the list, it was states from New England, Ioland's by Corn on Instacart thirty seven percent less than the national average. The Northeast may have no idea what it's missing. I'm Sarah Walters.
Speaker 9: A couple known for climbing skyscrapers is now in custody after climbing to the top of the Empire State Building in Manhattan and getting engaged. Reports say police climbed up the spire to meet the couple and took them into custody. As they made their way down, the man paused to get down on one knee and proposed to the woman, who appears to be Angela Nicolau, who has one point one million followers on Instagram and was the subject of a twenty twenty four Netflix film, Skywalker's a Love Story.
Speaker 8: Scott car NBC News.
Speaker 2: Radio ten fifty AM, don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band select there. We're an AM radio station, and AM refers to more than just the time of day.
Speaker 5: It's a bird. It's a bird.
Speaker 15: No, it's super raw. Okay, a gimmicky opening for a commercial about Superwroth universal life insurance, but I'm sure it got your attention.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 15: What is a super.
Speaker 4: Wroth, you ask.
Speaker 15: It's a permanent indexed universal life insurance that's totally liquid and easily accessible once it matures. Can be used to supplement retirement savings or a death benefit or both. Has no income or contribution limit, has no five year rule like roth iras, has no ten percent penalty for accessing the funds before age fifty nine and a half. Oh, and the average historical returns are five to seven percent annually tax freight. Super Roths also lock in gains, which means you don't lose your money when the market is down. It sounds incredible, right, sounds super super Roths are the way of the future, specifically your future. To see if you qualify for a super Roth, go online to the Superwroth dot com.
Speaker 2: Key digits Lock them in for more information. Recreation guaranteed fun caseyaa ten fifty am.
Speaker 16: This segment sponsored by our friends at the All News Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway, next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has an extensive menu with multiple restaurants in rialto in places like Upland and Ranchukumonga. Sammy's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke at Sammy's. You can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends, or have a community meeting. You can ask about their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come, first serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day. At five point forty Sandal would drive off of Xit eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Look for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thanks Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find more info about Sammy's at Sammy'scafe dot Net. At Samy'scafe dot Net well, you can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free Wi Fi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa Ray also one of their other locations, are ready to serve you. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa.
Speaker 12: The Tahbo Tea Club is the only FDA registered manufacturer of original pure powdy Arco Tohbo Tea in the United States. The tea is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new cells and it can truly be miraculous for someone finding a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection, diabetes, or cancer. Just fifty nine to ninety five with free shipping. Call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight, or visit to Hebot club dot com. To Hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is to Hebot club dot com. Or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight.
Speaker 1: NBC News on KCAA LOMLA sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 8: Org, NBC News Radio. I'm Scott Carr.
Speaker 9: Millions across the eastern US are facing extreme heat. Heat wave continues ahead of the fourth of July weekend, the most extreme temperatures so far farm in the Great Lakes Region, parts of Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois. Because of the heat wave of the Trump administrations issuing emergency orders for a mid Atlantic power grid. The Energy Department aims to maximize output. Energy Secretary Chris Wrights issued orders to dispatch more power generation from several fossil fuel plants during periods of high demand. Emergency warnings are being issued by the Governor of New Jersey, Mikey Cheryl.
Speaker 10: Governor Cheryl says the heat is not just uncomfortable, but severely dangerous.
Speaker 11: It's the hottest stretch we've seen in over fourteen years, and it's the number one extreme heaps, the number one weather related killer in America more than hurricanes, more than floods, more than extreme cold combined.
Speaker 10: Cheryl also said the state is working with local towns and counties to coordinate cooling centers across New Jersey. I'm Lizzie Radibali.
Speaker 9: Tonight, the US begins the knockout stage of the World Cup, taking on Bosnia Herzegovina in Santa Clara, California. Earlier today, England defeated the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Atlanta with two goals from Starr Harry Kane, and now Belgium and Senegal are facing off in Seattle. President Trump is on his way back to the White House after spending the day in North Dakota honoring a figure he says embodied the heart and soul of America in the city of Medora. Trump was there for the dedication of the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library. In Venezuela, search and rescue teams are still combing through the rubble after last week's earthquakes killed nearly two thousand people and injured more than ten thousand. The quakes toppled entire condominiums in the heavy populated northern part of the country. Official say the death tolls risen to more than nineteen hundred. The UN is seeking about fifteen million dollars to set up temporary shelter for about thirty thousand people left homeless.
Speaker 8: Scott car NBC News Radio.
Speaker 12: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the lafe An Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band selector, We're an AM radio station and AM refers to more than just the time of days. Hey you yeah, you do? You know where you are? Well, you've done it. Now you're listening to CACAA Loma Linda, your CNBC news station, So expect the unexpected.
Speaker 8: This is CASEAA.
Speaker 16: Welcome to the Worker Power, our radio show, a show dedicated to workers