Speaker 1: Now that, Watson, how about your new Shallock Holmes story, The Adventure of the Scarlet Worm, where.
Speaker 2: Mister Bell that singer affair took place in Paris.
Speaker 3: I supposed the story really began on an October evening.
Speaker 4: In Baker Street, a long long time ago.
Speaker 2: I've been more than usually busy with my practice that day, and I returned to our lodging shortly after nine.
Speaker 4: I remember as I entered.
Speaker 2: The living room, Sherlock Holmes was seated at his side table, clad in his dressing.
Speaker 3: Gown, and working hard over a chemical investigation. A large curved rick trot was boiling.
Speaker 2: Furiously in the bluish flame of a Bunsen burner.
Speaker 3: Finally, he brought a test tube containing a solution.
Speaker 2: Over to the table. In his right hand he held a slip of liftless paper.
Speaker 5: You will come at a crisis, Watson. If this flip mustafer remains blue, all is well. If it turns red, it means a man's life with Lord Holme's really ah, as I thought it turns red, an out of center telegram was cutton jat and I need have no further connection with the case.
Speaker 4: Well, you didn't tell me if you were working on a UK's home.
Speaker 5: It was a shot, a little affair. My dear Watson, an orthopedic shoemaker Wapping became somewhat fretful with his wife. He added poison to her morning pot of tea and was stupid enough to leave a sample of the deadly brew. It's purely a routine matter. Let's forget it. You wiok tried old jab.
Speaker 3: Visit.
Speaker 5: I hope you won't be too tired to accompany me to Paris tomorrow.
Speaker 3: To Paris.
Speaker 5: Why this afternoon I received a very rare visitor in these rooms? My brother Microft all is not well at the Foreign Office. They need our help.
Speaker 4: What's wrong? Home?
Speaker 5: And international spiring is at work. In the past few months important secrets have leaked out, vital secrets that might bring this country to the bird of war. Is two of the Foreign Officer's brightest young men have committed to his side. Rather than about how they betrayed their trust, Microft tells me he has reason to suspect a beautiful and dangerous young lady in Paris who inspired these men in these men a loyalty even about Patrick.
Speaker 3: And they want you to try and Trapper?
Speaker 5: Is that it no Watson, they want us, oh micraft, and I agree that you would be perfect faith to use in such a trap. Right, it just sounds like a piece of cheese, only metaphorically. Watson. You must agree that your imposing appearance, your open countenance and hearty manner would attract the attention of any female spy.
Speaker 4: Yes, I see what you mean. But if you're right, in.
Speaker 5: Any case, we shall make you doubly desirable by entrusting you with a certain invaluable naval secret Master.
Speaker 2: Master, you will entrust me with uctually worthless documents, spread the stories that are valuable, and wait for the woman to approach me precisely.
Speaker 5: I shall accompany you as a bodyguard, but leave you largely to your own devices. Yes, Watson, I have high hopes of this trip to Paris. With you as the worm and me as the hook. I think we may snare this evil loveliness, miss Holmes. Doctor Watson, sure me your credentials and explain your mission. We are aware of aspiring. We are on concert watch, but I think you would have done better to have stayed in your own country. We of the Paris Police are perfectly capable of handling such an affair. Ourselves. I are sure you, Inspectory go. The fact remains that two foreign office men died here under sinister circumstance.
Speaker 3: And as the business you know prettice officials.
Speaker 6: Monsieur, I myself investigated the deaths. They were both self inflicted. We of the Jersey and bro cannot fatten the mind of a suicide quite. But I doubt if the deaths were coincidental. Surely there must be some connecting link between them.
Speaker 3: Inspecton.
Speaker 6: The only facts I can give you, Monsieur Avis, both men frequented an American owned gambling casino in Monow. The name of it please slitters on hoom Forday. The only other fact I can give you is that both that dead men were seen there in the company of a certain mademoiselle l Virah.
Speaker 5: Micross pots of Can you describe her, Inspector, Oh, what are a woman? Though she is very young, princes have duel fire paper.
Speaker 4: At the moment, the.
Speaker 6: High official of the Bank de France lies in a prison cell because he appropriated funds that he lavished on her. She's a fatal massieu, but she is as elusive as the win Well Watson.
Speaker 5: Our first move is obvious tonight, WI shall visit Slater's gambling casino on the Ruffontaine and try our luck.
Speaker 3: I say, Holmes, is your our residing Paris.
Speaker 2: At Knight, run our way to an American gambling casino in the hopes of meeting a beautiful young spy named Elvera.
Speaker 3: It's just like a novel.
Speaker 5: Quite incidentally, since the young lady apparently moves in high society, I think it wouldn't wisely if we give you a more impressive name, a fictitious title, perhap.
Speaker 4: Well how about the title I used once before?
Speaker 5: So William Norton spend it? So William Norton itch will be And I trust that Sir William remembers the role he used to play.
Speaker 3: Here's indeed, Holmes, if I do meet the young.
Speaker 4: Lady, I'm to appear very susceptible to.
Speaker 5: Her beauty and not too hard for you, I imagine, And.
Speaker 7: I'm to drop dark hints about the valuable secrets that I'm carrying precisely, Watson, And if the lady proves as intrigued as I hope she will, you will follow the matter through to its logical conclusions.
Speaker 4: A good conclusion, Homes is how to take this.
Speaker 5: Ah, here's the casino courage Watson and good luck, good evening. I'm standing Slater, You gentlemen, haven't been here before. No, mister Slator, my name is Charlocke Holmes, and this is sir William Norton.
Speaker 3: Now you know Holmes, Sherlock Holmes are detective.
Speaker 5: Not here drumming up business. I oh no, just showing Sir William some of the sites of Paris. Fine, then relax and enjoy yourself. Gentlemen, forget your professionist to Holmes.
Speaker 3: In Paris at night.
Speaker 5: There's no crime, or as there is, the police are conveniently blind to it.
Speaker 3: Glad to have you plase Harms.
Speaker 4: I think perhaps I'll take a little flat at the tables. Yes, that do you?
Speaker 5: You wish to speak to me as yes, I could not help. But over here Slater mention your name. It is a great honor to meet Shelock Holmes. He permit see to introduce myself. I am Andrea Landon. How do you do? And this is a William Norton.
Speaker 3: That perhaps you have heard of me. My poetry has been published in England Poetry.
Speaker 5: No, mister Landon, I'm afraid it's escape me.
Speaker 3: You have not heard my first as monk charon?
Speaker 5: Do you not think quite?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: The metaphor seems a little involved, if you don't mind my saying, so, what do you think? So William, As far as.
Speaker 4: I'm concerned, there is only one language, not saying you have born?
Speaker 6: Then I shall recite a poem of mine in English Translats monsieur, I said.
Speaker 2: Hams, look at that stunning creature sitting by yourself at the.
Speaker 4: Shamanda fir table.
Speaker 5: She's smiling at your fortunate William. That is Mademoiselle elviera.
Speaker 3: Oh nod and no gentlemen. In translation, Michaelin begins a.
Speaker 6: Craves the grave August at August cheek, because I think.
Speaker 4: I'll climb my luck at the tables over there. I've seen you lay at home much later, I hope, Sir William.
Speaker 8: Ringia noting, is it not?
Speaker 4: Yes? It is like, can't think how you recognize me?
Speaker 3: Miss madame.
Speaker 8: You may call me as you do? You know me, Sam Slater, tell me who you were? He knows that I have a certain pasha for distinguished English.
Speaker 3: That's extremely flattering.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you care to join me in glass of champagne.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, I would like that. Let's direct his teeth that.
Speaker 4: Champagne bond Champagne too.
Speaker 8: You are here in times I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing me, yes impossibly.
Speaker 4: You see, I'm.
Speaker 2: Ending an extremely delicate and confidential matter of Libertish government.
Speaker 8: And I suppose you would be too busy to let me. Sure you're some of beside, I don't think.
Speaker 4: So work no play enough. We're scared to escort you with it.
Speaker 8: Good then if we are to be then I can't go. I'm calling you, sir William. I think I shall call you really, think.
Speaker 4: Well, we muster think of toast.
Speaker 8: I suppose one to really a man of misty.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, my dear, and I shall drink two elder and to a better acquaintance.
Speaker 8: Good night, Really, I shall see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Have our breakfast.
Speaker 8: Sign now it is, of course, Mada, that's an important mission for the British government. When you are come to that.
Speaker 4: Uh, good night, mother, come here really.
Speaker 8: So good night?
Speaker 3: Why so you'll kissed me, you little darling. Thanks awfully.
Speaker 5: You're doing splendidly, Watson, spendidly.
Speaker 3: Keep it up. She's a three little thing.
Speaker 4: Homes.
Speaker 3: It's hard to believe that she's a spy.
Speaker 2: I tell her that I was here on a secret and confidential mission. I even tell her that I was carrying important naval plans. She didn't seem particularly interested.
Speaker 5: Of course not. She is much too clever to as the comesy approach. She'll work slowly, she will wait until she thinks she's got you completely captivated before she goes after that secret.
Speaker 3: Then I'm just to carry on the world it last night.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay? Oh good, wind her, dine her, send her flowers, buy her jewelry, make I think your head over heels in love with her.
Speaker 4: I suspect that you.
Speaker 5: Won't find the job to one second.
Speaker 4: I'm sure for three days now there you've been showing me first.
Speaker 3: But this is the first time I've actually been in your flirt.
Speaker 8: You like it, really, I thought it would be much prior to here. You know, you said you were going to explain some of your important business to me. You're going to show me what a secret treaty looks like.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know I said that, but they're pretty good. Like you wouldn't be interested in matters.
Speaker 5: You have the treaty with you?
Speaker 8: Yes, please let me see ye oh please, silly, I can't.
Speaker 3: Go through this musquerde no longer musker.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: I've been really fun of you on these last few days over I can't let you walk into a trap.
Speaker 8: Chap, what are you talking about, Willie?
Speaker 4: I'm not William. I'm not Sir William Nolton.
Speaker 3: My name is Watson, Doctor John H.
Speaker 5: Watson, like Truss's friend is the detective Sholock Holmes.
Speaker 4: We came to Paris to.
Speaker 2: Try and track your Oh, my dear girl, you're suspected of being mixed up in Aspiring.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I pose is an important numbers from England.
Speaker 8: Chap, are you dadding all food?
Speaker 3: Put down that revolver I'm going to.
Speaker 4: You're going to drop it, My dear, I can't do it.
Speaker 8: I'm just a stupid, weak female Aussle. I've gone friend of you too, bumbling on. You remind me of my father. She was such a sentimental fool like you, just to sweep You're young.
Speaker 4: I know you don't really want to stay mixed up with a bunch of criminals.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, look here, you tell Sharock Homes and me what you know about perspiring and we will see that no harm comes to you.
Speaker 8: My dear, I wanted to get out of it for months.
Speaker 9: It was not a glamours and exciting at first, and they paid me well, but I hate them now.
Speaker 8: And yet when I told him I wanted.
Speaker 4: To get away, this will take care of you.
Speaker 3: Just tell us who's at the head of the organization.
Speaker 9: That I don't know, but I can tell you a lot about some of the members.
Speaker 2: Let's spend it and step on your coat, up a little bullet and we'll go over and talk to Shark Homes and had him.
Speaker 8: See me looking like this, lacking.
Speaker 9: No, you're gon and doing him here.
Speaker 8: That's the time you get back.
Speaker 5: I'll be more presentable, all right, I'll go and get him at once.
Speaker 4: Watson.
Speaker 5: I'm occasionally astonished at the many classics to your carrot.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you very much, Homes.
Speaker 4: It's nice you to say so.
Speaker 3: Your personal charm has apparent.
Speaker 5: It's and vinced a dangerous woman. The crime does not pay. It's remarkable if it's true. What do you mean If it's true, surely it must have occurred, even to a man burning with a zeal of one who has snatched a convert from the fiery flames, that this could be a press for us to walk into the delay while the young lady makes herself presentable, would provide an excellent opportunity for her to summon her a social upon my soul homes, your ugly cynical I don't believe you have a heart, possibly not, but I do have a hit.
Speaker 4: Oh here's her.
Speaker 2: Place, now stop, kevitt, I met your hundred past to a shilling, which she's still waiting for us and alone.
Speaker 5: Long art buttons, very long hard.
Speaker 3: Look look, look the concierge is sweeping up the steps. He'll be able to tell us if anyone's been here since I left.
Speaker 5: True, that's her, Yes, she.
Speaker 4: Llow follows over the ooka we were we were calling her Mademoiselle al Vera. Has anyone been to see her in the last half an hour? We hey, man, she left ready only five minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Do I do not think she wished to go?
Speaker 5: You mean that she was taken away by for exactly issue.
Speaker 4: But I could swear on this, so coulccur.
Speaker 3: The man who accompanied her was holding a pistol to her by a.
Speaker 4: Few a minute.
Speaker 3: I think she has been you say, kidnap.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we'll rejoin Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson. Every man who takes pride in his appearance should know that handsome, healthy looking hair needs a hygienic scalp.
Speaker 5: That's why when you buy a hair tonic, be sure to get.
Speaker 1: Your money's worth. Don't settle for just any hair dressing when you can enjoy the extra advantages of Cremmel hair tonic. This highly specialized hair tonic contains an amazing combination of hair grooming ingredients which is found in no other hair timeing. Crammel keeps dry, stubborn hair neatly in place all day and always gives hair such your natural, well groomed appearance, never sticky or greasy. But men, Crammel does lots more than keep hair looking handsome. Trammel leaves your scalp feeling alive and tingling. At the same time it removes itchy, loose dandris It's simply great to lubricate a dry scalp, and if your hair is so dry it breaks and falls when you comb it, Cremell actually helps condition the hair in that it makes it feel softer, more pliable. So men a bottle of Cremel at any drug counter for an application.
Speaker 5: At your barbershop.
Speaker 1: Let Kremmel, help keep your scalp HYGIENI your hair always looking handsome, always looking at the very best k R E M L.
Speaker 5: Kremmel hair. Time.
Speaker 1: Well, doctor Watson, once again you left me on the edge of my chair. So when you went back to the girl's flat, she'd been kidnapping.
Speaker 5: What did you do next?
Speaker 3: Well, Fortunately the concierge was able to give us a good description of the.
Speaker 2: Cab driver, and with the aid of Inspector Rego, we were able to find the man.
Speaker 3: Question him.
Speaker 4: He'd give him the couple. He told us to.
Speaker 2: Valla pashe Den in the Elizamo mark a club known as the Scarlet Worm.
Speaker 4: Holmes and I, accompanied by.
Speaker 2: The French inspector, lost no time in taking a cab to places.
Speaker 6: I should not admit you to visit lever Scarlet Worm, as you would say, without my protection, Hunt, it is a cesspool of evil. Underweller may have been known to enter there, make their exit by back door.
Speaker 5: It burst into the sewers.
Speaker 4: Lord, they've taken a poor little girl.
Speaker 5: Inspector. It go as I said. Mademoiselle Alvira told my friend that she does not know who is at thehead of this organization. Have you any suspicion? Yes, but little less, my friends.
Speaker 6: One thing, we are sure this man of mystery, the brain behind these caminals, is not French, probably.
Speaker 4: Is English, and englishman Or says sure not.
Speaker 6: That Lebet Carlott is waiting for m See on the alert, my friends, and keep close to me.
Speaker 4: I tell you we didn't want to do the Tamon Slator, the man who who owns the casino we went to the other night.
Speaker 5: Yes, and he seems to be involved in a violent argument.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a rattle like that.
Speaker 5: You don't know what you're doing, but you know what you're in here.
Speaker 4: Hang your uncle.
Speaker 5: And this guy who's the man that Slater's argument with inspector that is Shadea this establishments.
Speaker 4: Later is leaving. I wonder what he was doing in a place like this.
Speaker 5: Come here, speak to Chavez and find out if I am an with a visit from the place the teacher.
Speaker 6: Since when does a visitor from the Jersey m Duro have to explain his business? Shab Tell me why was later here? And why did you argue that?
Speaker 7: Sure you can't here to try and as some of my appass he has traveled, electing his gambling beds.
Speaker 5: I spit at him in his class meets that I can't stick to their sands. I'm not positive there. Let's set to the table. Shall win? Mycope is on?
Speaker 6: The truth is a possible I shall I join you in a moment, Missiew, I wish to make some investigation.
Speaker 5: Wats you seem to be a positive magnet towards the fair sex. Look at this young lady heading for.
Speaker 4: You read hair, very painted face? Not my time.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid one is you? Run along? Young ladio.
Speaker 4: Don't sit there?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, Watson, where's your chivalry? Please sit down, won't Joe.
Speaker 8: Gener don't recognize no story formal.
Speaker 5: Life, whereas I've been keeping silence. Mademoiselle al Vida help hera. The wig is excellent in the use of makeup, superb mademoiselle. But I recognized you at once by the confirmation of your ear lobes vero.
Speaker 4: Why are you disguised?
Speaker 5: Why they bring you here?
Speaker 8: I cannot speak now? You must get me away once, be careful, and they watched. We can't let that the front way. They're not back staircase that leaves Mosella. But the ntic table.
Speaker 5: You take a watson, I'll guard the retreat. When the music starts again, dance with her. When you get to the back of the hall, slip out. I'll join you at the hotel.
Speaker 2: Look, look, look, homes, Look who's turm me to our table, said gasted poet.
Speaker 3: Fellow we met of the casino.
Speaker 5: Andre Flandon, pay no attention. I'll the care you no once again, I meet my friends.
Speaker 3: Shall a home. I have a new poem that I've composed in your especial.
Speaker 5: Dance Watson and good luck, ride your home? Come on, come on your friends, please, no, I shall tell you my poet.
Speaker 3: It begins, Oh my dear, I can't tell you how relieved I am to find you.
Speaker 8: All right, depend to dance some girl that you don't know that dance me told that door in the corner. That's the truth. Don't see a thing, follow me done, stays here, careful, where's careful? Stairs? Turn here?
Speaker 5: My god, I have the steps. You could live so easily. Did you that I'm waiting for you?
Speaker 4: And he can't step without his lantern? Run over?
Speaker 3: I'll follow you. Run one round?
Speaker 4: Oh won tie? How do you like that? You felt his wine.
Speaker 5: What's you all right?
Speaker 4: Yes, Homes, I'm quite all right, and run over chap. I'll take care of it and see that the girl is safe.
Speaker 2: Now that we're all safely back at you tell I can tell your homes that I.
Speaker 5: Hated leaving you in that fifty dead Inspector Gool had a revolver. It's more efficient than the knife the inspect him. It was near being with your homes. You fought bravely, and so did you.
Speaker 6: Are acumbent friend on the sofa, there only poet.
Speaker 4: I wonder why you brought him back here.
Speaker 5: For a poet, he uses his fists with surprising skill.
Speaker 4: He must be hurt.
Speaker 3: He seems to be unconscious.
Speaker 5: I think he's suffering from the effects of a trifle too much. I hadn't the heart to lead him. Ah, there you are, mademoiselle.
Speaker 3: Be around.
Speaker 5: You're feeling no ill effects, I hope no, mister Holmes splendid. Then, now that we're all assemble, supposing you tell us your story. Who kidnapped you tonight?
Speaker 9: It was one of Chavez's men. They made me disguise myself and swear never to see either of you again, on pain of death.
Speaker 3: For the which we came to see you.
Speaker 5: We knew that Travia was connected with disguise. Mary, you're safely under lock and key, but we still don't know who is at the head of this organization. Can you give us any clues, mademoiselle.
Speaker 8: I think that the man you want was waiting in the cab that took me to the Scarlet Worm. But he was asked and he never spoke.
Speaker 5: Can't you recall anything that might give us a clue?
Speaker 9: Oh, one incident, if it means anything, Shade's men said to him, we go to the scarlet worm. Eh that is could you also you make a worm's no?
Speaker 5: And then he laughs He said this in French, of course, yes, yes he did. Then the case is I'm an idiot. I should have spotted it sooner. The man you want, Inspector, is lying asleep on it. Look out, He's not asleep, wasn't He's got a revolver?
Speaker 2: I know you don't.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's gone to sleep again.
Speaker 5: Really, what's in your insplendid form tonight? But monsieurs, why do you say that man is the cubert you yourself gave with the clue, Inspector when you told me that the criminal was an Englishman posing as a Frenchman. You are not the fall on two occasions, and then not from all a few minutes it was long enough to realize that Flanta was really an Englishman. The first time we met him, he quoted a poem that he said was translated from the French. The translation was grave as the grave, August as august heat The poem could not have been translated from the French, because both of those puns are possible only in the English language.
Speaker 8: But how did my repeat in the conversation in the cab give you a clue, mister Horn.
Speaker 5: Because it was another pun in French. The word for worms and for verses is the same. There spelt a v rs.
Speaker 4: I see it now.
Speaker 7: When the man in the cab said you make worms, he also meant you make verses, precisely wanton, and thereby pointed directly at the police.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 5: With Andre Flanton or whatever his real name is, in prison, I'm sure my craft will have no more trouble with his firing