Speaker 1: Special Operations, Cobert.
Speaker 2: SPI and I.
Speaker 3: The Team House with your hopes, Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, welcome to episode three hundred and forty nine of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy on tonight with our guest Trey Lindsay. Trey served in the Navy, first in law enforcement before he went over to Seal Team four and then Seal Team six. Served on deployments around the world, and now works as a training organization and knife company involved in law enforcement. And also he's the guy that I end up working for once or twice a year, So that's how we know each other and just know him that being all around great guy. And we're really happy to have you here on the show today.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Brother. Thanks thanks again for having me on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, So start at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about how you grew up and how that took you towards the Navy.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a small town in rural northeast Missouri called Cannon's about two hours north of Saint Louis, and I joined the Navy nine days out of high school and people often asked me like, Hey, why did you you know, how long did you you know before you wanted to become a seal or this and that where he actually did it. And for me, I was twelve years old. I read the book Rogue Warrior by Richard Marsenko. The first commanding officer is Steal Team six, and I was hooked after that. So I read it in between the summer of my six and seventh grade years and so yeah, after that, that's all I wanted to do in my adult life growing up. So I joined the Navy nine days out of high school and then the rest is history at that point.
Speaker 1: And so you went in first, you know, before special operations. Who went as a Navy police officer? I mean, tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so again I wanted to be a seal, but I guess I always like kind of joke now that my recruiter got me pretty good. So after nine to eleven, mastered arm rate the Navy cops. They were like a critical source rating. So I had to go to my first duty station for a year before I was able to screen for special programs. So, I mean it all worked out in the end, and kind of like I'll cover later on in the podcast, you know, I guess really how being at Navy cop Mastered Arms has helped me a lot with what I'm doing post military life. I never dreamt it would actually come come full circle the way it has. But it's it's funny how things has worked themselves out like that.
Speaker 1: Well, tell us about what that you know profession actually entailed that you did for a year before I go into the teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was a very heavy and physical security. So obviously, you know nine to eleven had already happened. I joined in you know, two thousand and two, you know, right out of high school. So Afghanistan was already underway, but it was racked and not you know, the invasion I racked and happened till March of two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: So little known fact.
Speaker 3: I think the majority of the initial Shakhanah ordinance that was that was dropped during the initial initial push initial invasion actually came from one of the one of the duty stations I was in physical security of, you know, at the time, in the in the southwestern Pacific.
Speaker 2: So again it was.
Speaker 3: Just kind of multiple, uh, you know, multiple of shifts. You know, we were pulling you know, constantly when they were bringing ordinance to the aircraft, you know, to the some of the aircraft of the Air Force base, but also on some of the carrier battle groups that were pulling into port. They would pretty much you know, have all these weapons systems stockpiled and they would uh they would you know, take off take off from there. Then once the initial invasion happened, it was just a steady flow of that.
Speaker 2: So very heavy and physical security.
Speaker 3: Uh, some you know law enforcement act aspect of things you still have, you know, you know, things you're dealing with on base. But really was you know a little different than your typical law enforcement job you know in the in the civilian world that you know, the men and women you know, who are.
Speaker 2: Serving the communities are sworn to protect, have to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's super important stuff when you're talking about these huge ordnance facilities and we're all aware now of some of these like sabotage campaigns that are across Europe and you get one bad actor in there and the whole thing goes up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, exactly exactly, So yeah, very very strategic you know location.
Speaker 1: And so you get a taste for Navy life here. But your dream since reading Rogue Warrior is still the seal teams absolutely tell us about you know, getting into Buds and kind of that experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was fortunate enough where I was at there was actually a Naval Special Warfare unit located over there, so I was able to do all my screen you know testing and like a a little bit of an interview. It really wasn't too terribly much of one to go to BUDS initially, but was able to get on my paperwork squat away passive PT test initially to get my package, and then when I got orders, I did one more PT test thirty days prior to me transferring. So from there, yeah, that pretty much takes me to Cornado, California, you know, in uh spring time of two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: How'd that treat you?
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Buds has definitely experience where no one wants everyonets to relive it again.
Speaker 2: So I mean, looking at it, you know as a whole, was just completely overwhelming.
Speaker 3: But when I teach a lot of like the leadership and team building versus now I talk about you know, just had to like, you know, how to eat an elephant one bite at a time. And I always like to use the buds analogy, you pretty much take it one evolution at a time, make it to your next meal, and then just you know, keep you know, always put out, be a good teammate, and then just you know, never uh you know, never never forget what the end state is, the end goal is. So I started with Class two five to two, like I said, checked in May of two thousand and four. Was fortunate enough to make it straight through with that same class. So I got to me through like Airborne school, and we still went to the Army Airborne School and then SQT and I checked in the Seal Team four in the fall of two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: So okay, before we move on, favorite Bud story.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 3: So yeah, one of the uh one of the with the leadership and team building stuff I'm doing now. So I had this acronym, uh you know, I kind of you know, I heard one evening when I was on third phase. It's called fitfo It's saying spans for figure it you know you know what out you know, fit foam mentality. So and the backstory of that is, so I was on Watch, you know, twenty years old, you know, in third phase out of San Clemente Island, and uh, I mean, looking back, I was just I was just such a dumb ass at the time, such an immature kid still, you know, even though it's you know, get ready to graduate buds. But anyway, so I'm on watch one eating on the quarterdeck when the classes, you know, the rest of the classes asleep, and we're only getting maybe four or five six hours at the you know, very very most most of the time, it's about three to four hours of sleep per night. And so anyways, I'm on watch and I get a call from the from the instructor lounge, the quarterdeck area. The instructors had their own you know barracks, you know, birthing areas, you know, where they're kind of a lounge are or they can kind of take a little break from students when the work was over. And so maybe I get a call and it's the senior senior instructor. So uh again, he starts, you know, kind of proceeding to give me like an order of like, hey, bring so many glasses of orange juice, you know, some of the glass.
Speaker 2: And cranberry juice, you know, like ice.
Speaker 3: He starts having as a whole grocery list of items he sees want me to bring down there. I think they're making cocktails, of course, you know, so you know exact what they're doing.
Speaker 2: So having it's having some adult ever did so again just me being the dumb ass kid, you know, at.
Speaker 3: Twenty years old at the time, I started just coming up with the dumbest questions you could possibly possibly think of at the time. And it was as one of the senior chiefs, the same rank I retired as, and so he was a senior instructor on the on the island at the time. And again I started asking him like, well, well, senior, like where where where am I going to find those things? At?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm on watch and I have someone relieve me.
Speaker 3: And he stops me mid sentence and he says, hey, look, motherfucker, you better figure it.
Speaker 2: The fuck out or else.
Speaker 3: And you best to stop that mindset if you want to have any success in this community whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Click so again in that.
Speaker 3: Moment, not want to be the reason the class was woken up and putting the surf zone for surf tords here. We can talk about surf torture a little bit later. But what did I do in that moment I figured it the fuck out real quick. Let me tell you so again, I was running around, scrambling, trying to find stuff as fast as I could and get it over there. And so I finally got it all put together, not you know, ran it down with the instructor. Lounges, knocked on the door, you know, stated my name and rank and what I was there for, dropped it off, and he's like, get the fuck out of here, go back to the quarter deck.
Speaker 2: So I ran back and then enough enough said.
Speaker 3: But again, as funny as that story was at the time, looking back still to this day, is probably one of the biggest life lessons learned I have. It's basically the problem solving mindset, like you know, figuring things out. So and that was one hundred percent true as far as you have to have the fitfo to figure out the fuck out mentality to you know, have any success on the seal teams, little alone is in life in general. I'm still using the fitful mentality to this day as far as getting you know, you know, getting like keeping my training company up and running, getting our knife design company, you know, uh up over our initial release done, and also the some of the collateral duties I have in the law enforcement world, get getting my Texas Commission on Law Enforcement license as well. So again you we we could we could spend you know, hours upon hours talking about bud stories. That's probably one of my one of my favorite ones. Just as far as what still sticks to me to this day, one of the one of the life lessons learned.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you, you know, follow up, where the hell did you find cranberry juice and orange juice and all of this?
Speaker 3: A good place for it, probably of the galley, the chow hauling Okay, so okay, a couple are things that had to go elsewhere to find it. But it was, uh yeah, it was pretty It was more streamlined than I originally was worried it was gonna be.
Speaker 4: So uh and then you mentioned surf torture.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, yeah, So surf torture all that is it's just you know, it's it's a means where the instructors can take a little break and they just let the elements do the work, you know, for the class as far as trying to get uh get get guys to quit. But it's an evolution where you just lay in the uh lay in the uh you know, Pacific Ocean off you know, the the Buds Beach or wherever you're at if you're out in San Clemente Island.
Speaker 2: And again, like the water is never warm out there.
Speaker 3: For folks who have been in southern California, it was a summer hell week, So, I mean it was a little bit warmer, but I think mid sixties was the warmest the water ever did get on us. So yeah, just again, it's just uh, just a timeframe where the instructors can take a little break and just let the elements do the work and get guys to quit if they.
Speaker 1: Want to get that attrition rate down exactly, exactly, all right, So I won't make you tell bud stories all night here.
Speaker 3: Try that's the We'll both to do a separate one just for buds story.
Speaker 1: I got plenty of them, I know. I feel I feel like we all have more stories about selection than like, you know, Oliver Stone has about Vietnam, you know, yeah, exactly, so you check into Seal Team four, uh, tell us about that experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was a little bit different than what other guys, other brand new guys had experienced, just because Team four, Uh, Seal Team four was deployed at the time, so as me and the rest of my you know, classmates from BUDS and SQT, I mean we there was literally like I think two seals. There was like a chief, you know, it was like the mastered Orange Shock kind of doing an administrative work and there was maybe one of the guys.
Speaker 2: So we got formed out.
Speaker 3: To uh to trade at the training attachment on the East Coast with the different cells. So I ended up going to the H one of the Assault sales you know on CQB and like the in the also mount the Military Operations and Urban Trains South Special Operations in Urban Combat. So I got to do several trips with them there seeing other Seal platoons from other East Coast teams go through.
Speaker 2: So again we always when we.
Speaker 3: Got back to UH, you know, we checked back in, you know, to Team four after the you know, the guys got back from deployment, it was you know, the new guy games all over again at that point, like we figured it was gonna be.
Speaker 2: But uh, it was really it was really interesting.
Speaker 3: I think overall, looking back, it was a good experience just getting to know different guys from your team and it's you know, being a kind of role players out for for them and just kind of actually doing some of the runs with them as well. So it really, at least for me, that definitely helped out just kind of get a jump start on at least the assault seek be portion.
Speaker 4: A little bit of uh O j T before you really started.
Speaker 2: No exactly exactly, so it was good. It was really good overall.
Speaker 1: So the guys come back, and at what point do you get put on a platoon?
Speaker 2: So almost immediately we were we were pretty much we're gonna be slated.
Speaker 3: I knew I was going to three troop and uh in a fox drop platoon, so uh sorry echo platoon echotune.
Speaker 2: I ended up switching on my second go round.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so we knew what platoon what you know, troop you're going to is called tasking at the time, we uh it transferred over to troops right after that. But uh again, you know, looking back, it was, you know, like the guys came back in for like flate fall time frames. We had a couple of months of of kind of like you know, the pro dead professional development. We didn't have a whole lot going on, and after the first of the year we start our UoT our unit level training. So we were hitting the road early, you know, you know of two thousand and six, you know, we were, uh, we were you know, going to Fort Chaffee, you know, in other places. You know, it's UNDO our ground Mobility out in the out in the Nevada area, one of our training sites. So it was just a NonStop and it's I mean still to this day, I still have a crazy work schedule and you know, with what I'm doing and kind of people tell me. I asked me like, how do you how do you like, you know, travel so much. It's like it's all I've known since two thousand and five. I've never been in one location more than like six months out of the year. So, uh, it's just a constant, a constant flow. It's I guess I'm just you know, used to it. So that's all I know now. So I don't know what I would do if I was, you know, in some place for several months. Trade I know, if I was home here, I would absolutely drive my wife and saying, you know.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, you know, like what type of dudes land on a seal platoon? Like who are some of these guys. You know, you don't have to mention anyone by name if you don't want to, But like, what are these personalities?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: Definitely type A personalities across the board. You know, that's kind of be expected. You know, you have to be, you know, a type A to have any success in the seal teams. Really, like everyone had, you know, somewhat of an athletic background, some more than others. Definitely, everyone had like a huge sense of patriotism, camaraderie and just wanted to really be a member of the of the team.
Speaker 2: Look down to the individual.
Speaker 3: Shooter level, the platoon level, you know, tasking a troop level across the board. So I just, like I say, highly motivated, very for the most part, you know, very trustworthy guys and uh just guys that you'd want to you know, go down range with, you know, serving your country, you know, and in harm's way.
Speaker 5: With Hey, guys, our show is sponsored by ghost Bad Check them out please and make awesome mattresses, awesome pillows. Awesome. Ghostpread provides high quality, is super comfortable, award winning mattresses crafted in the US and Canada. Did you know that sixty percent of US adults report being too hot when they're trying to sleep. That's me, I'm a sweaty little baby. That's why we designed all of our products with cooling features so you stay comfortable and asleep all night long. Pair any of our mattresses with ghost Beds Award winning adjustable base and get the ultimate sleep experience. Ghostpared Rules the family owned business sixty thousand plus five star reviews. They have sleep experts on staff with twenty plus years of experience. If you have any questions, you can hit them up and ask them, you know, maybe what kind of mattresses.
Speaker 1: Work for you.
Speaker 5: Twenty plus year warranty that's two times the industry standard. Free shipping and returns on mattresses. Most of the products ship out within twenty four hours. They have in house customer support and sleep acts sleep experts Chilling in Plantation, Florida.
Speaker 1: It rules it's the best.
Speaker 5: They give you a hund hundred and one night's risk free to make sure that these beds are right for you. If you don't like it after one hundred and one nights, you could send it back full refund. Uh When you purchase a ghost bed mattress you're comfort guaranteed. I'm reading it right now and it's capital letters guaranteed. Okay, they do the right thing and they're a great company.
Speaker 1: If you're not.
Speaker 5: Sure which ghost bed's right for you, like I said before, you could take you could take their mattress quiz online, or you can give a call to one of their sleep experts and they'll help you with exactly what you possibly could.
Speaker 1: Need, what works for you, and what doesn't.
Speaker 5: And the best news about this is Teamhouse listeners and viewers. You get an extra ten percent off sitewide for a limited time. You just go to ghostped dot com slash house and use the code house at checkout one more time. That's gosped dot com slash house with the code house ho u se at checkout for an extra ten percent off site wide. I want to think go sped for their continued I want to thank all the fans that listen and watch for their continued support. Without you, guys, we are nothing, So thank you for supporting the show, and thank you for supporting the companies that helped support the show. Go sped dot com slash house for ten percent off made in the US, Made in Canada, shout out to our brothers in Canada. They rock check them out. I love ghost sped. Thanks guys, And.
Speaker 1: I mean, at what point did you find out where you guys were deploying to.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until I want to say, probably springtime.
Speaker 2: We deployed the fall of two thousand and six. So yeah, my first one was to Felujah, Iraq.
Speaker 1: So oh wow.
Speaker 3: It was a you know a little a little bit like your average you know, a little over six months deployment.
Speaker 2: We had a condensed you know, UoT and.
Speaker 3: PRODEV and also said, you know, let's throat into integrations training just because of like kind of the deployment cycle. I After that we went back to like the East and West Coast teams went back to two year like you know, all every six months.
Speaker 2: It was pretty got back from deployments.
Speaker 3: It was pro DEEV, then u l T Unit level training, the you know kind of squatter integration training but still called that, and then deployment. So but we only we were on eighteen month cycles. It was just that much that much faster.
Speaker 1: So you guys got to Fallujah, if my uh chronology is right, a little bit after the Marines went in there, and kind of like cleaned the place out absolutely. So what was it like when you arrived in Fallujah sort of? What was the atmospherics?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the guys that were already in country coming to convoy to pick us up, you know, on the humbies and other other armory equipment got hit by I D and our our lead Turt Gunner got you know, fragged pretty good from it. So that was kind of a it was kind of like, hey, you know, all the new guys, welcome, Welcome to Iraq. You know you're in the war zone now this we're playing for keep. So that was definitely you know, not that I didn't I wasn't already thinking that to begin with, but yeah, it definitely kind of was a realization immediately right when we uh, right when we permitted at the deck saying like hey, you're you know, the guy in the airfield had already you know, gotten word you know, some of it from our our Joint Operations Center had like let them know that, Hey, like a convoy's gonna be late because they got hit with an I D and they had to do a you know, a cast a back bird, you know, casualty evacuation bird for our lead turt.
Speaker 1: Gunner and what was the mission like when you guys got there.
Speaker 3: So we were we had a Iraqi partner for us. We were training, but it was mostly direct action raids we were doing. So they wanted us to have, you know, so many Iraqis they would take, we would take out with them, or they could take out with us. And so they had like a couple of guys doing the training of them and another guy. The rest of the guys were doing operations, you know, some some like kind of sniper over on stuff. It was mostly like it was the direct raid, the kill capture operations.
Speaker 2: We were doing.
Speaker 4: Any that kind of stand out in your mind.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were several of them that definitely, uh definitely you know, could have got a little little little sporty, little spicy, But it wasn't until after I left because I was on the first rit bird out and the read from Place bird and then so I was like probably about half of our platoon or half of our troop, other guys from Team ten and contingent.
Speaker 2: That we're gonna be ripping ripping out with us.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So they uh, they went out on target with the rest of our guys, and then a good buddy of mine was killed that you know, evening literally like a day.
Speaker 2: After we left.
Speaker 3: So that one, I, you know, I talk about that every so often a little bit at that one still kind of stings this day as far as you know, cause we hit just so many compounds over the UH over the course that six months, and then sure enough, you know, we lose we lose a guy in one of the last ops you know of the UH of the deployment, let alone with not even like almost you know, almost half the.
Speaker 2: Guys being gone not there for either.
Speaker 3: So uh, you know, kind of looking back, I say, if I could have I told this story before as well, if I could have one redo in my entire career, I would go back and ask not to be on you know, the first rip bird flight out because again I totally understand like my leadership point of view, because I would I would definitely would wanted to. I wanted to stay, but I was gonna be going to sniper school, you know, within like you know, less than a month of getting back, and then straight into lead preacher explosive breaching school. So my professional development I was and be gone for a good portion of it, so ended up ended up you know, taking you being my first deployment with a busy prod of being one of the first guys that had rip out you know, which again it.
Speaker 2: Was about half of us.
Speaker 3: But if I could have you know, I said, I could have one redo over again, I would turn back time and make sure I was on that off for when everything went down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That sucks, man.
Speaker 4: It always seems like it's the last damn mission on the deployment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, we had a guy you know, you know, you get fragged pretty good, you know, from the I D first, uh, you know first, you know, and one of the I think maybe the first night we were in country.
Speaker 2: I think it was the second convoy they did overall.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, like in the direct action right, they were going after a group of all kind of militants that shut down an American helicopter the previous day.
Speaker 2: So it was just just bad. But hey, you know, I'm bringing lessons learned, life lessons learn at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man. And so you get back and go to the Sniper Corps. Is that the one in Indiana?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Great, Yeah, so some of it's you know, they do like the East and West coast will do like they're again it's different now. I think it's all like one big school, but like you know picked like photo image capture, and they had like the scout it's almost like a SNYP, you know, scout sniper like sniper light and then if you pass both those then you would go on to the full you know, sniper training pipeline in UH in Indiana.
Speaker 4: And what was the sniper course like.
Speaker 2: It was definitely challenging.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, the shooting itself was was was you know hard at times, but it was the easiest. It was like some of the stocking. Just the overall like field craft.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was you know, born and raised, like I said, in rural northeast Missouri, so I spent plenty of time out in the field, you know, hunting and into it just like my grandparents, you know farm they had UH in rural northeast Missouri close to where I grew up. But it just the overall like field craft and like being you know, you know, covert clandestine about things too, is probably one of the biggest things.
Speaker 2: Again, the shooting.
Speaker 3: Stuff was was challenging by all means, but I'd say like the actual field craft for me, especially some of the stocking was what I uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it was the most challenging.
Speaker 1: And at that time where you guys still like building out the big bear suits, the Gilly suits and oh yeah yeah you.
Speaker 3: Had your Gilly Gilly shawl, your Gilly Gilly suit. You know, had had several different options depending on what you wanted to wear. So again, like we were fortunate enough, I was going through in the summertime frame, so we had know thick vegetation.
Speaker 2: It was a whole lot easier than guys.
Speaker 3: That have to go through in the the winter time with no folage everything else. Of course, we got to worry about poison ivy at that point in time. I think, you know, probably two thirds of the class ended up getting poison ivy really bad. But again just the price of doing business. It's the nature of the beast.
Speaker 1: So biggest takeaway from sniper school, aside from stalking, I guess tactical patients.
Speaker 3: Definitely learned tactical patients there, you know, in an extreme way. So in your you know, doing your stock, you're in your high sight. You're just waiting for that right moment to h when you need to uh we need to execute when you need to do it, do an engagement, I'd tell yeah, definitely, Tactical patients was the overall biggest lessons learned in theme from going to snipers.
Speaker 1: School, and then I think you mentioned was there a master Breacher course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I went to like lead breacher course after that, and again, like guys were saying, like, hey, that makes some of the older guys that make no sense, you know, because usually like the snipers were doing their own thing, breachers.
Speaker 2: Would do their own thing.
Speaker 3: But again I was just kind of dual trained where I could be the lead breacher on an op or I could you know, be the sniper role doing the sniper Overwatch or some of the you know kind of like longer containment you know, operations.
Speaker 2: We would do.
Speaker 1: How do you like the breacher course?
Speaker 2: It was fun? I mean, explosives are always fun, you know, no matter what.
Speaker 3: So again, really I like the breaching aspect is the problem solving because they go, you know, just you you truly learned to kind of really like be able to like read the door when you like to, you know, you do like you you know, calculation of what's charge you know, our charges you need ahead of time.
Speaker 2: You know, I have it, you know, through your specific you know sps for one and something.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of a you know, a little bit of leeway on what exactly you could use. So it was definitely kind of the ultimate you know, problem solving in the moment, figuring out which charge you use, how much explosive net weight you have, and then even what type of explosives and kind of going from UH from there, just you know, using your uh, using your trade craft, you know, when you're out out on operations.
Speaker 1: At this point in time, I guess we're still in like two thousand and six, two thousand and seven. Around then, was the training starting to move more towards like urban environment to sort of simulate the environment you guys were going into or were still like trying to blow down trees to build an apty and that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It was definitely heavy in the h the urban aspect of things, but we still never went away from the field craft you know aspect as well though, especially what happened in the you know, a summer of two thousand and five in Afghanistan with the UH you know, the the loan survivor incident with the you know, the you know, upper Red Wings on that one. So yeah, again, always lessons learned on that one, because yeah, we were doing a lot of direct action rates and more built up areas, but we still could find ourselves out in a rural environment or even a rule into an urban environment, uh and getting an engagement there.
Speaker 2: So definitely definitely.
Speaker 3: Had to be proficient in all aspects of the operation you could come across.
Speaker 1: So you're you're moving along at a pretty steady clip here as a young seal going from being doing your first platoon sniper breacher and then going back to your platoon and going through the whole train up cycle again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, And the actually I did an augment with Seal Team eight as well to Iraq for a little bit when we were doing some of the counter on rating insurgency stuff you know, back during that time frame.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I ended up doing a little bit of an augment with them.
Speaker 3: It was a good experience, and then deployed again the fall of two thousand and eight to back to Iraq, and you know, it was different, different troop than a while I was assigned to initially, but there was like a contingent of guys from our troop that we're gonna go augment the guys of our troop, and then our troop was in kind of doing the Yukom deployment. So that was that was actually again it all worked out. It would have been nice to stay longer in the in the war zone and get more experience, but you know, being able to do some of the stuff throughout throughout Europe and really kind of get get ready for our selection course for for the command coming up.
Speaker 2: You know, I started in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: So tell us a little bit about the counter Iran mission because that's a that's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's I mean, obviously Al Qaida, Iraq, you know, they were the they were the big, you know, big ones there going after. But this had such a negative Iranian influence, especially some of the areas where we were working around, like the you know, the eastern eastern side of Iraq and also even Bagdad itself. So I know a lot of guys who did uh you know operations in Solder City. You know, it was pretty much you know, the slums of Baghdad. I mean, most a lot of guys that did any work around Bagdat are familiar with Solder City, UH and it really it was some of the some of the like the explosives that like they're you know, they were coming up with. The Iranians were coming up with specifically designed to defeat some of our armor systems. So we were we were on hot and heavy, you know, doing the Accounter Iran Iranian you know, insertaincy mission.
Speaker 1: So you guys were trying to like disrupt the i e. D networks.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was a biggest thing. You know, we got up a lot of like the financiers and like the senior leaders. But again it's just you know, the more the more you know, operations we would do. It was pretty It's pretty crazy to see just how how some of these senior leaders you know that the counter Iranian are they the Iranian surgency were tied in with the UH current government in Iraq. It was probably a sticky situation all around, depending on depending on what you know, part of the country you're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did the politics interfere with your operation? I mean sort of the local politics, like did they try to like shut down some of these missions or did you run into.
Speaker 3: That they tried to a little bit, but it seemed like we were definitely were we were insulated from from a lot of that aspect of things, just because it was it was so important the time, and like I, RACK had already been kind of spiraling out of control for for a while from probably you know, two thousand and five on, and didn't you know, even if you wantn't call it stabilized, it didn't really didn't stabilize till like, you know, twenty ten, twenty eleven. And then obviously during the troop wud draw, the whole world saw that under the UH, under the current administration at the time, when they are going to pull everyone out, and then like little Isis just came in there and started wrecking shop. And then sure enough, contingent of UH Special Operations were right back in there saving you know, you know, saving what was left of Iraq at the time.
Speaker 1: And then you mentioned going over to European Command. Mm hmm, what what were you guys up to over there?
Speaker 2: So we were doing a lot of like just training operations more than anything.
Speaker 3: It's like bi lads, like bilateral exchanges other UH I can't I can't remember some of the acronyms, but it was basically like working with our.
Speaker 2: Our NATO allies over there.
Speaker 3: So I went to Poland for for a solid month, you know, work with the Polish DROM awesome, awesome dudes. And it went to Estonia for three weeks after that, you know, within a matter of a couple of days.
Speaker 2: So again, really good experience.
Speaker 3: And uh you always have like your you know, your embassy evacuation that could could come up, you know, you could you out of there among other operations, but really you more than anything focusing on training and then for me just getting you know, making sure I was in good shape and right, you know, mindset, getting ready to start the selection process for the command coming up.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what was it?
Speaker 1: What was it like working with some of the NATO partners, Like, I mean, Groham is known to be very professional. The the Baltic States also are known to be pretty hardcore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, like I would, I would deploy with the Graham guys in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: You know, And I was, uh, you know, kind of fast forward years later, I did a little exchange with the SBS guys and I was gonna be deployed with them when I was a team leader at the at the command and one of the squadrons, and I was having to have one of my of my junior guys go with me as well, but that didn't getting shut down. Let our shut off last minute, which is a which was a bummer. Like I told guys before, there's again there's two units I really would like to have deployed with. Number one is our Delta Forest you know brothers, you know, our counterparts from the army, and then and then also our our SBS, you know, our UK brothers as well. So I had like we we had it all lined up, but at the same timeframe we were gonna be uh you know, having it having a contingent of our of our troop deployed with some of the de boys down you know, south from where we were at. But again it got with the some of the manning issues and kind of like the withdrawing of forces. You know, they didn't even deploy all their guys, so we were the first ones to get cut. But like my number two, my assistant team leader, he just deployed with the strike for us too, you know, doing like the Iraq you know in Syria, you know, kind of direct actual age. And now he said that was one of his best deployments he ever had. So the guys were great, super talented. You know, it's just very again looking back, if I could, I would really like to have, you know, one ended up deployment with them, and then also deployment with our our SBS brothers which came close both times, were with both units, but just didn't didn't know. It wasn't quite how the cards were gonna fall for us unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like in this time you're already thinking about screening for the command. You had this you had this idea in mind really since the moment you joined the Navy. It sounds like exactly.
Speaker 3: Like I said, like when I from I was twelve years old when I read read the book Rogue Warrior Senko. So yeah, I screened in the summer of two thousand and eight, you know, screen positive. It was made uh still a team for the rest of my deployment cycle there. Like I mentioned before, I deployed Iraq and then you come for a little bit and then checked in to start a start the selection course in the springtime of two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: Uh so what was the screening process like.
Speaker 3: Again, it's you know, you know, PT is obviously a big factor on there. But like when when guys you know, ask me what what was harder? You know, like you know, a green team, the selection course for development group or or BUDS uh met personally for me, I would rather do at a minimum, I would do first phase of BUDS including helliwek again before I did the six weeks of the basic you know, close quarter battles. Fa. Yeah, just again, it's looking back, it's all the stress you put on yourself, you know again, like it's you're you're not learning anything that it's technically some stuff, it's new, yes, but the instructors are demonstrating and telling you only once, but they're telling you exactly how you want they want you to do it, and then this perfection is demanded and then so again you're doing you know, hell, just pets of a morning for you know, a couple several hours and you're just getting right into doing the house run after a house wrong and a run, and then classes divide in the half half guys in the house, half the guys in the range doing drills, and we would flip flop in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I've heard guys say even even dudes that are not super fond of the Seals, say at Development Group they have a very robust, you know, counter terrorism CQB program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So again it's it's that's one of the biggest things we are judged on.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, you have to have other you have to be confident in other you.
Speaker 3: Know, core seal skills skill sets, but the CQB aspect, you know, again like kind of people ask me all the time in the civilian world, what's CK be mean? Like at this like room clearing, you know, like structure clearing, you know, how to do it safely with potentially you know, you know, heavily armed packs inside there too.
Speaker 2: And again this you know kind of you know, coming full circle.
Speaker 3: Never when I was going through the selection and then you know, you know, just doing you all, you know, staying on the on the deployment grind at the command. I never thought, you know, it would it would off the way it has post military life, being able to do something I'm doing with the civilian law enforcement training. So again, yeah, it's just kind of funny looking back, you know, the you know, twenty plus years, all the lessons learned, just kind of how I where I got to where I'm at today, and it's all just kind of the cards is fill in.
Speaker 2: Place, you know, one one by one over over the years.
Speaker 1: So other than the CQB, what other kinds of training do you go through in Green platoon as you're kind of getting spun up for you know the top level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're doing you're doing you know, integration stuff with the the one sixtieth you know, the helicopter you know, squad of the one sixtieth Special Operations Aviation Regiment. So again you talk about guys that are the top of their their tradecraft right there.
Speaker 2: The guys are absolutely phenomenal, from.
Speaker 3: Forty seven pilots to the you know the Hawks, the little birds, you know, to mention all the adapts, the direct action penetrators, you know crew for the Blackhawks rigged as gunships and also the a's the AH six is. So doing a lot a lot of integration stuff with them on certain aspects, and then you're doing quite a bit of a jumping skydiving with certain like military freefall profiles. So against I say probably besides the CV portion jumping, we usually get a couple of guys per class as well that cannot meet the standards and have to either get recycled through or they they go back to their you know, their original command, you know, within the sealed teams they came from.
Speaker 4: What do you think it is that gets them on the free fall course?
Speaker 3: Usually it's zing out the exits. And I mean I've told this guys before too. I had a fairly healthy fear of jumping, like one of the biggest I guess failures if you want to talk about, you know, I wouldmit during my career, I went to O Tai Lake's military free fall school that the Navy put on and I failed out of it.
Speaker 2: So I was ze in the exit.
Speaker 3: So and that was definitely in the back of my mind, you know, going through our green team the selection course when we were doing our uh are jumping there.
Speaker 2: But again it is just and I.
Speaker 3: Think I hopefully I was able to help a few guys that were struggling potentially as well.
Speaker 2: Throughout the years.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until I truly understood the relative wind and how you're exiting the aircraft, whether it's a side door or a ramp, and either you're symmetrical or you not, and how you like an arch you know, I can hit the relative wind is what really kind of like it just it just all clicked for me at one point in time. So again I was still you know, struggled a little bit, do you know, during a selection course for the command not doing the jumping stuff. But I was able to end up going making it through. But it wasn't until I got to the squadron and start doing a lot of jumping to where I was like, okay, it all it's all starting to make sense now as well, and even more so when I went to like freefall jump Master school and definitely kind of like tied everything in together at me.
Speaker 2: And so when I was getting ready to turn.
Speaker 3: Over my team with the incoming team leader actually one of my guys, you know, it was really awesome dude I had a lot of respect for.
Speaker 2: But I kind of.
Speaker 3: Recommended that to him because he was he was you know, he was proficient at jumping, but you can just tell he just was not as confident as I would like to see him, you know and be. And then so I kind of suggested that to him and say, hey, man, I would really I would really go, you know, recommend you go through military you know, the freefall GM at some point in time jump master school.
Speaker 2: The Command puts on just because I think it will help tie things.
Speaker 3: In to do a lot a lot, but you know, better better for you, and you'll just be more confident jumping. And He's like, and the only reason why I notice, you know, I don't think you have, you know, as much confidence as you could have because I was you about, you know, six seven years prior to that.
Speaker 2: So uh, hopefully, hopefully I was a semi positive.
Speaker 3: Influence on him as far as that that aspect.
Speaker 1: And after getting through all this training, you signed into the command. Uh, now you're now you're in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: What's it like making that jump from a seal team to development group?
Speaker 2: And so people ask me that a lot, like what's the difference? You know?
Speaker 3: So you know, I mean Steal Team four versus you know, like Team five or even you know obviously the command you know de gu Steal Team six.
Speaker 2: So I would.
Speaker 3: Say this, So if you have you know, two or three platoons deployment cycles underneath your belt and the you know, the East and West Coast Seal teams or STV Team one still Delivery Vehicle Team one, you're considered like a very experienced guy, Whereas again I did my two platoons, you know, started the selection process going through a through Green Team, and then I get to my you know, squadron, and I spent the majority of my career out over there, and I was a brand new guy again.
Speaker 2: You know. It's just like literally I was like the least experience.
Speaker 3: So I just I think it's over all the experience level, just the mission set itself, and just really like the for the selection process, you know, on Green Team, it's just perfection is demanded, you know, and it's they have so many, so many you know, just you know sets of eyes watching you, like you really can't get away with with a whole lot, especially early on doing some of the the initial readout phase of things.
Speaker 2: So I'd say just over.
Speaker 3: Again, it's it's it's like when I was having my interview board, you know, when I was doing like my screener initially to try to get orders to go, uh to go to Green Team, go through the Command selection process. I kind of like on my interview paper work, like I said like, hey, like why do you want to come to Command. I'm like, it's it's the natural progression for strong operators to to kind of just keep keep going up in that that trajectory. So again, like the quite a few guys I know on the East and West Coast team is.
Speaker 2: Definitely kind of plateaued out a little bit.
Speaker 3: They had the talent level, they definitely could have went to the command and been very successful over there. So again it's just, you know, it's it's just when one big competition as far as you know, the trajectory up as far as experienced level goes. And again it's just you know, you're you're you know, you're one of the tier one units. You know you're gonna be, you know, to be getting the call when things really you know, when shit really hits the fan or some of the higher profile operations happened.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: What's it like, I mean, you've partially answered this, I think, but already like, like, what's it like getting to a squadron? And again, I imagine all of these guys are A type personalities, like they're super dialed in, super intense all the time.
Speaker 4: What's it like hitting the ground running on a squadron?
Speaker 3: So even to your point, Jack, even more as far as hitting the ground running, So like I was just our squadron was deployed when we when we got through our our selection process. So yeah, like the command master chief, he wanted us to take the holidays off, so ra after the first year, we deployed overseas with a squadron. So uh, again you talk about just being thrown right to the fire and being like you are a Tier one operator like you are, you are expected to know, you know.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 3: So it's definitely definitely you know a lot of things we've you know, covered some and Green Team, but but not to the extent with.
Speaker 2: The high level of training.
Speaker 3: And again just talk about the experience level you know, from like you know, the troop chief, you know, the team leaders on down. It's just like I've told so many people this before too, Like looking back, it took me a couple of years to get removed, you know, kind of in the in the civilian world and kind of looking back and like that, the talent level that that place possesses is unreal. Everything from like the operators you know, like you know, the leadership, the you know, even like the supporting assets you know, all the different different various departments like everyone at that at that place, at that command is truly at the the tip of the spear, at the top of their game and in all facets. So if you're not, you can't pull your weight. You have to move on.
Speaker 4: So all right, So tell us about gearing up for that first deployment.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, again, it was we went through the selection process and any through and the little time you know, for the holidays, and then it was it was, you know, I think the second no, it was, it was, you know, I guess it was a couple of days after the first. Yeah, we we caught a rotator bird and and I'm over there and flew over and joined our joined our squadron. So it was you know, kind of what I what I we were kind of talked about, you know, where we were told, you know, what was gonna be expected of us and everything everything else.
Speaker 2: So it was it was quite the experience, you know, I mean.
Speaker 3: Definitely, you know, just you talk about just you know, walking in some place where you are just you know, you feel so small, even though you just went through one of you know, considered one of the hardest selection you know courses in the US military, you still feel like you don't know anything, you know, when you're there just because of the.
Speaker 2: Talent level of guys that are that that you're working with U.
Speaker 1: And I mean is again the big jump from the sealed teams to development group is that now you guys are charged with going after like nation level hvts as opposed to like these are the bad guys in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, like a lot of like the national being like one of the national mission forces. It's it just gets ups the game that much. And also the scrutiny, the scrutiny that comes with it as well. So yeah, like I said, like when we were going through Green Team, perfection was demanded, and yeah I was, you know, perfection was demanded in the squadrons, you know, to the to the highest extent for ever, from your team leader, from you know, your your other senior leaders, all the way down to you know the guys that were just you know a year or two you know ahead of you as far as as you know time in the command. You know, you just you don't you don't let your teammates down. Like when I talk about some of the leadership and team building aspects, you know, I covered in the civilian world and some of the domestic law enforcement world too. But I talk about peer pressure, peer pressure being the ultimate double edged sword, you know, like where you had guys that were you know, like we're negative peer pressure completely I saw like just ruined, derailed, you know, completely derailed careers you know before that matter. But then positive peer pressure like okay, you can accomplish extraordinary feats just because you don't want to let your teammates down.
Speaker 2: So again, like Doug about the ultimate ultimate double edged sword. Yeah, or peer pressure, it could.
Speaker 3: Be a be a hell of a hell of a positive or an extreme negative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the pressure, but there's also the aspect of like you're my boy, Blue, you got this, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly you don't you don't want to let your teammates down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can you say where you went on that first trip?
Speaker 3: It was an East East East Afghanistan. It was one of the one of the strike forces over there. So with the with with the squadron, I was.
Speaker 1: In cool and from that timeframe, like now that you're in the big leagues, any missions that kind of like jump out at you that were interesting or noteworthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we did several diployments to Afghanistan. The roys could be spicy at a moment's notice. But for me, I was I was very fortunate if I was in the troop that conducted the Justin Bichannan hostage rescue raid in Somalia in January of twenty two Will though, again it was just just how it worked out with the rotation. Again, very very fortunate. Everything went very well that night. It could not have gone near nearly as well as it did. And uh, I'm just out of respect for the for the guys you know, still going in harm's way doing the job.
Speaker 2: I really don't like to cover very you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the specifics of the operation, but I do like to talk about a lot of the lessons learned. I'll do that a lot when I'm teaching in the Law Enforcements, but I'll just close a little more in a closed, closed environment to really kind of hit home some of the points. But I always like to talk about you know, I'm doing my initial PowerPoint slide for some of the c CB courses I teach, is you know the definition of advanced tactics.
Speaker 2: We heard that in Green Team all the time.
Speaker 3: All advanced tactics are is knowing the basics, knowing when it makes sense to break the rules and then be able to articulate why you broke those rules.
Speaker 2: So it was definitely like.
Speaker 3: That operation really highlighted because I'll cover again without without saying too much. You know, even though we had you know, the most state of the art military aircraft, you know, Werconstance aircraft overhead, we have the latest and greatest of weapons systems optics mbgs.
Speaker 2: The wrecked guys had thermals.
Speaker 3: But even though we had all that, the tactic we used to clear that objective and save those two hostages was one of the most basic tactics at every infantry soldier is taught at a young age and every small unit you know, special operations tactician is taught at a young age with some of the kind of the small unit tactics we work on. So that always mentioned when I'm teaching the courses. As far as I hate, never interestimate the importance that tactical team leader position. Like when when things went very kinetic, you know, very dynamic, very quick, I still remember hearing our my true chief's voice in my ear, like cool, calm collected saying like hey target ID damn it, guys, target I d just because your buddy, shooting doesn't mean needed to be shooting. So again we got to count, you know, we got to own every round we send down range because we had two innocents, two hostages we were saving. And then also kind of talk about the the personal SOPs always talk about, you know, with the courses you know, personal standard operating procedures, they never miss an opportunity to learn from either your mistake or somebody else's mistake, whether it's.
Speaker 2: A real world operation, training, you name it.
Speaker 3: So, uh, my biggest personal lesson learned personal standard operating procedure lessons learned from that one is I never left the wire from that point forward without some sort of a handheld thermal because we had zero loom. We had a thick cloud cover rolled in right the last you know, you know, like from our from a r p our operational rally point, and so we we pretty much you know, I had to uh you know, we're you know, kind of fanned out in a certain you know formation where we knew the pilots were sorry pirates holding the two hostages were roughly in the same type of a formation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the REKI guys were with either their.
Speaker 3: Handheld thermals or their fusion goggles or night vision and you know thermal combined you know goggles, you know capable. Uh, they were kind of calling out heat sources, you know, with the rough direction of travel and rough distance. But it was it was fairly helpless feeling not really being able to see even like we're we're we're heat segnisures right out there. So that was my biggest lesson learned on that one is I definitely wanted to from that point forward, I v left the wire without a handheld thermal.
Speaker 1: And if they dividing because it was because it was so foggy you couldn't see anything under night did the again.
Speaker 3: It was zero loom cloud covered rolled in and there's a ampient light in the country of Smali, in the in the in the in the bush, you know, in the middle of nowhere, and just like the vegetation was super thick. So again even like looking just underneath your mvgs, looking at your buddy to your left and to your right, you know, or even in the formation, uh, you couldn't. You could see like the glow from them and maybe a little bit of an outline, but you'd have to shine your laser illuminator to really be able to see them.
Speaker 2: So really I couldn't, you know, most of us could not.
Speaker 3: Tell at all, and you know where roughly even the you know, heat signatures were coming, you know from distance wise and rough location unless you had a thermal capability either built in your mvgs or like a little handheld thermal.
Speaker 1: And so you guys pulled Jessica Buchanan and there was a European national.
Speaker 3: He has a Danish guy out, Paul fisted. Yeah, they were working for a danishd mining company. When uh, when when they were taking hostage.
Speaker 1: And I got to ask, like, what's that moment like when you repatriate an American and a friendly national hostage. I always think of like you know, the Kurt Muse rescue in Panama, where like all of a sudden, there's these soldiers there pulling you out and saying we're American soldiers, We're here to bring you home.
Speaker 4: Like that's got to be a good feeling.
Speaker 3: Oh no, absolutely. It was definitely the highlight of all our careers, hands down. And we were again we just you know, she ex filled her and the other the Danish citizen Paul, They you know took one of the first heilos out and we didn't you know, didn't hear anything else from her for you know, several years. But then after the fact, she end up coming back to the command and we were able to host her and kind of like have a big, big debrief.
Speaker 2: It tied in a lot of like our questions we have.
Speaker 3: Also kind of her you know, her question she had once we were able to tie the stories together. So I thought that was very beneficial and like just such a sweet girl, such a sweet gal. So that's really cool. Yeah, just you know, just a wonderful, wonderful human being.
Speaker 1: And I bet it also offered some closure to that event for everyone involved.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Like again, initially we did have like little meat and greet in one of our commander's conference rooms, and uh, I mean she immediately like she was gonna like start talking to begin with, and she completely just broke down and started crying and like the thing that she was able to get, you know, word, she was able to get out, you know, because we like took her to the memorial wall that she saw the pictures of guys that have been been killed throughout the years you know, at the Command and so yeah, she kind of like we were barely able to hear her get it out, the words out. She's like, I couldn't live with myself if I would have seen one of you, one of your photos up there on that memorial wall.
Speaker 2: So again we totally hey, it didn't did not work out that way, you know.
Speaker 3: So you know, yeah, so hey, everything worked out fine.
Speaker 2: We're all here and let's you know it was.
Speaker 3: We also reiterated to her the day it was all the highlight of all of our careers. So we were more than happy and more than willing to go, you know, put ourselves in harm's way to bring you back home, Jessica. So I think I definitely made her feel feel pretty good about about things.
Speaker 1: So I think she wrote a book about her experience, and I have not read it, to tell you the truth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I needed to read it as well. Uh still too. Yeah, it's called impossible odds. So I watched the sixty minute interview she she's done several times, or she did several times.
Speaker 2: It was a pretty pretty good interview. Folks have not seen that yet. So just if you just.
Speaker 3: Googled Jessica Buchannan and Hassa's rescue sixty minutes and it'll pop right up on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I'll check it out. That is a super cool story. I got it man, that's awesome. I thank you. And after that, what was kind of like the next step in your career as an operator at this point.
Speaker 3: So right after the deployed to Afghanistan again later on that that year, after we did the Hassa's rescue for Jessica. But then after that actually was for a pre team leader. I did a little a cup of professional development. I went to our Clandestine Operations squadron, so it's a good experience doing some of the unilatal surveillance stuff we were doing. Then went back to the squadron I was a member of before and did my you know rotations at assistant team leader and team leader, and then I finished my career off back at our clandestine operation squadron.
Speaker 2: So again I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking back, I really cannot you know, I really can't ask for too much more as far as you know, just being able to uh you know, you know, just getting the various experience of attitudes again talk about everything, how it's all comes full circle. The uh sevil uh from our clandestine Clandestine Operation Squadron, I do quite a bit of a like surveillance training for domestic law enforcement. So again between like the tactical training shooting something, they are like kind of a small unit, you know, small team, you know, tactics courses and also the surveillance. It keeps the schedule pretty full. And one of the gals is one of our femail operators at the pro UH at the at the our Clandestine Operation Squadron, is a good friend of mine, Jackie.
Speaker 2: She runs a Feenda Defense group. We we uh we you know.
Speaker 3: Team up a lot to to uh host you know, and put on some of these surveillance for domestic law enforcement blocks. So again, I know, initially like Jackie was gonna try, I thought, Jackie, and now we are gonna be co located, We're gonna be able to both hoping here together.
Speaker 2: But I can pleatly get my dates mixed up.
Speaker 3: And yeah, she's back in California, but we are going to be linking up again coming up in the Denver area here in July for several weeks for some training we're putting on. So yeah, definitely recommend her guys to go check out a Feene Defence group on Instagram and then she's got a website. It's you know, pretty pretty well put together too. So she's an awesome gal. And when we're doing our introductions, I always bring it up, you know, I kind of say my piece as far as background is, and I said, he, I don't want to steal Jackie's thunder, but who and here has seen The Lion this series and usually about half to two thirds of the you know, the class, you know, tending raises, you know, their hands like okay, Like Jackie.
Speaker 2: Is your real life version of the Lion?
Speaker 3: Is she was in one of three programs that that you know, that that series was written based off of, so that that always gets guys his attention right away, you know, when they're like, oh gosh, yeah this guy, this gual, here's the real, the real deal. So yeah, just Jackie is an awesome, awesome gal. And yeah, it's it's it's a pleasure to work and it was. It was good to work with her while we're on active duty together, and it's you know, just as good, if not better, working in the civilian world together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put us in touch and would be more than happy to have Jackie on this show one.
Speaker 2: Day Okay, absolutely, I highly recommend it. Yeah, Jackie is. Jackie is awesome. Jackie is I always I always joke with guys as well.
Speaker 3: So for can I compare Jackie you know, like you again being being a female and like pretty much a man's world. You know, she's definitely definitely an alcohol in herself, but as far as as trustworthy and.
Speaker 2: Uh you just you know, you know, a team player she is.
Speaker 3: So I always can make the comparison, you know when uh, you know you're you're a small, you know, tight knit group of a group of friends. I use the u that movie The Town with Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner when they're h when he goes into when Ben Affleck goes into you know, the placer's staying at and talks with you know, Jeremy Renner's character and he's just like, hey, like, I need your help. You know, you can't ask any questions. You know, we're gonna hurt some people. And he says, you know your your your car are mine? You know?
Speaker 2: Or who or whose car are we taking that.
Speaker 3: Jackie is in that same category, like Jackie, I need your help.
Speaker 2: You know, we gotta go do some stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit questionable, and she would be like, all right, be taking your trucker minds, right. So she's definitely definitely in the club. You know, she's definitely within the sister within the brotherhood.
Speaker 2: That is for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh So you said you did some time as assistant team leader and then team leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so in the squadron, I spent you know, right, quite a not quite a decade and uh overall, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Again being an assistant team leader.
Speaker 3: After being out of the loop for a little bit and our Clandestine Operation Squadron, it's it was fairly easy to come back, and it just again is how funny how things work out, Like I keep mentioning, so that when I came back, the the assault squadrons were actually taken over some of the uh you know, unilateral surveillance mission and our Clandestine Operation Squadron had been doing. So my troop was designated as the you know, the sensitive Activity support activities you know, you know, clandestine you know, capable assault troop. So I was able to help out a lot, you know, with uh, with some of the the transition just coming from coming from that world and then then deploying the same spot, you know, that with a with my Assault Squadron that I just deployed the previous cycle with with our Clandestine Operation Squadron.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of capability in one troop, isn't it to have guys that can free fall in and clear an airplane if need be. But also he can do all this sort of quaint DestinE surveillance work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I won't mention his name because he likes to keep a very low profile with so many stuff he's still doing post military life. But one of the most well respected operators lace in my time. I was there set said it pretty good one time. You know, he was a team leader and one of the squadrons and went to our Clandestine Operation Squadron and then went back as a troop chief for that same Assault squad and then finished his career retired out of the clandestin Operation Squadron. But give the guys, you know, they would say like, oh, it's an essay, you know, it's you know, it's a uniltal surveillance troop.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, you know, sensitive activities troop.
Speaker 3: But then he's just like, no, no, no, it's an assault troop with a sensitive activities capability, Like there's a difference, you know, so it's pretty much all encompassing, so definitely a little bit different than just a.
Speaker 2: Quote unquote sensitive activities troop.
Speaker 3: So no, it's an assault troop with sensitive activities capabilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's also interesting to have like the sort of continuum of targeting kind of encompassed and all encompassed in one organization like that that you guys can probably do the intelligence gathering, the mission planning, and then the execution of the mission itself if you were called upon to do that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we would like the kind of the fine fixed Phoenix exploit analyze and uh even some of the deployment cycles before that, and we were doing some of like the more of the remote outstations with some of our you know, inner agency counterparts as well doing like an assistant team leader you know, you know then also the team leader during those rotations where I mean you're the senior military guy you know, on the on the ground on some of these operations as the team leader, and really from like the whole aspect as far as professional development, you know, you couldn't ask for anything more because you've understood like the targeting aspect of things. You know how you actually you know, target packages even get brought up you know from like Intel reports and various locations, you know, various even assets if you will, you know, you know technical, you know physical, you know, uh, you know, human intelligence, you name it. But you really learned the uh, the whole targeting process from like Okay, we have a bad individual we're going after. Okay, we start to build a pattern of life on him, you know, and then from there package you know, the you know, the con op concept of operations goes up and you're you're doing. All that you know is the guys are helping you with it. You know, your Intel analyst plays a very big, very big role and other uh other you know, specialized positions within the small team you're working with. But I mean you talk about like this the ultimate professional development. I mean, you understand the whole process pre damn good or you have to understand it or you're not gonna ever gonna get out the get out the door to go to the ox if you how the process works.
Speaker 1: And then becoming a team leader, I mean, what's that experience, like, uh, you're in charge?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? No, definitely, uh definitely the highlight of my career, you know overall.
Speaker 3: So I was I was in our troop chief position for a clandestine operations squadron for a bit as well too. Again, it just did that that that would have been, you know, probably the highlight of my career, but just unfortunately it was learning like the COVID timeframe, and then it kind of had like some stuff on the personal side. I decided to retire, so didn't didn't get to do nearly as much real world operationally.
Speaker 2: I was hoping in that position.
Speaker 3: But but as far as you know, being like an a team leader of an assault team, you know, it's just it's again like talk about that the talent of that place, like just looking like every one of my guys you know, from like I was at Echo one down to like my my Echo seven, you know, at number seven. So I just every single dude just was just a phenomenal you know, physical specimen number one, number two. Just the the talent you know, overall, like whether it's like for CQB, shooting, jumping, you name it, I mean you it's they say, you know, you know, team leaders should only have to make you know, at the command like slight course corrections here and there, you know, and that's that's one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Was my my case as well.
Speaker 3: So I know some guys have to deal with some problem children that U that causes more h you know, more effort and uh you know kind of uh you know, have more of a more of a negative light. But you know, it's it's for me at least, I couldn't ask for any better guys.
Speaker 2: You know that work and work I worked with and when I.
Speaker 3: Was a team leader, so even as the assistant team leader, I got you know, quit you know, I was one of this Uh. I think the senior number two is senior assistant team leader in the squadron for one full rotation.
Speaker 2: So again it was you know, guys would come to me for a lot. I think, you know, hopefully I was a positive influence to them. And uh uh.
Speaker 3: Again it's just you know, just still still to this day, just just blows me away, just the talent of that place.
Speaker 2: Still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they even I was fortunate enough to uh just pass January.
Speaker 2: One of the cities I'm in quite a bit.
Speaker 3: My old squadron was doing an urban training event there and I was I got to see a lot of guys and were never mind you guys when I was an you know, assistant team leader and team leader that they are now team leaders are assistant team leaders running the show.
Speaker 2: So's that was just phenomenal to see.
Speaker 1: So and so you finished your career in the Clindestine squadron. I know that stuff's like pretty hush, but what what are you allowed to say about that?
Speaker 3: I just it was our biggest miss set, depending on where we were at, was like being able to unilaterally conduct a conduct surveillance where it's physical technical you know, using other uh, other assets, other electronic means. That was the biggest thing that our troops specifically, and there was other troops that have other other mission sets I won't go into, but for ours specifically, it was the ability to basically you know, target you know, underneath the uh you know kind of a you know, the you know, the the cover of something you know, other completely like non you know, non uh you know action arm type of a military you know, element operation where we're referred to as But it was it was really just like the fine fix aspect of things is what we really concentrated on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then talk to us a little bit about retirement, Like, you must have had some moment in your career of like surrealism. You know that you went from being the twelve year old kid reading rogue warrior to being a team leader and then you know, master chief, troop chief. Pretty wild experience. How did retirement take place for you? When did that moment come where you're like, you know what, that's I'm ready to move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was a senior chief at a time. It's actually doing a big surveillance block. But uh, without going into like actual specifics, I just I just got to the point where I was, I was on the fence say hey, like I really need to figure out, Hey, am I going to be retiring because I was coming up on our I was, I was less than inside of the year from hitting the twenty year mark.
Speaker 2: I was like nineteen years in change.
Speaker 3: And uh it was actually, uh, you know where we live out now majority of the time in Dallas, Texas. We were on a work trip out there of all places, and just kind of like it.
Speaker 2: Just you know, all came to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: At once I told my wife, I was like, hey, you know, I know you said I had to get there on my own.
Speaker 2: Whenever I was going to you know, retire what I just got there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like after that trip, when I came back the following week, I put in my retirement paperwork and then still had the position for like several more months. That's why they were doing some maning, shuffling around and everything else. But I was starting my uh my prep to uh to retire at that point, and it was a long process.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure you.
Speaker 3: Saw it as well too, where you're you know, separating out retiring for for everybody, it is it is definitely not an overnight You're you're not just giving your two weeks notice and then walking out the door like you are in the civilian world potentially so. But yeah, once I was, once I got there, I was. I was so ready I could have walked out that day, honestly. So except a hell of a ride, you know, looking back, you know, when you traded my experiences for anything. But they say, when you're done, you're done, and you'll know you when you're done. So I like, I've had several buddies since then, you know, getting ready to retire, you know, or you know, getting really you know, kind of like on short final they said like, like, dude, me, we didn't realize what you were saying, you know initially when you said, like, hey, when you're done, you're done, but like we definitely do now. So I know, again, I hope like get them some good advice during their transition period.
Speaker 1: It's really important, isn't it, to like know when you hit that point, to identify.
Speaker 3: That, because again, like there's there's definitely guys that I you know, still have you know, crazy amount of respect for that were burn out. They should have retired years earlier, but they're just like it kind of I wouldn't say, you know, you can never get comfortable at that place, But at the same time, I think guys were just, you know, they were a point where like, okay, I can pretty much hit the cruise control and like kind of ride this for a little bit longer, even though I'm you know, they're not really really all that happy, you know, they they're they're ready to move on. But there is again I wouldn't use the word afraid, but I think there's just a lot of apprehension with guys getting out when they back it out, especially when they have twenty plus years then who.
Speaker 1: Hell wants to say I don't want to be on the team anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, you actually.
Speaker 3: Where you just you lose that fire in the gut, which I really that was really for me. I was just like, hey, man, like the juice is no longer worth to squeeze. I feel like I was going one hundred and twenty miles an hour my entire career. I'm just kind of like, you know, when I got to the point, I was like, well, you know, I think I'm good. I think I'm ready to move on and try something else in life.
Speaker 1: That's cool. So you retire and tell us about post military life. I mean kind of what are those first couple of years like after retirement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I retire officially in October first of twenty twenty two. But I said this before when folks have asked, and I'll say it again, like from my experience when I'm talking to a lot of other guys, I think my transition the last you know, X amount of months I was in and then transition in the civilian world was one of the smoothest and easiest really I possibly could have could have had again again, we were I was fortunateenough to do quite a few urban training events where we would be hosted by you know, local state and federal law enforcement teams throughout the area. So we'd always been trying to give back either host them at the command you know they'd come out and train, or even on location we would provide you know, training for them depending on what they want to work on, whether it's shooting, CQB, you know, you name it. So I kind of had been putting out a little bit of feelers, you know, months prior to when I was going to be dropping my you know, had to make the decision. And again this happened to be in Dallas when I finally you know, made that made that decision. And one of the good buddy of mine, he's worried for Garland PD. He's one of the SWAT or the lieutenant over Swatt and also he's the current president of the tech Astachable Police Officers Association. I told him I was going to be dropping my retirement paperwork. When I got back, I was ready to move on the first thing he said to me. He's like him, man, let me know when you just want to start teaching for us, you know, we'll get you on the on the books as soon as as soon as you're ready. So I was able to get get I started my I'd already had the idea for my company, the name, you know, everything else I wanted to be doing, you know, when I was doing my undergraduate you know program for my online degree with entrepreneurship through American Military University, but really wasn't going to like obviously you know, launch it until I knew like, okay, this is how much time I had left in the military and going from there, so I, you know, submit him in Texas. My articles of formation literally like a couple I think a day or two after I got my UH, I got my retirement paperwork approved back from Big Navy, so I knew, like this is gonna be my last day. And I really didn't do a whole lot with it for several months, but is after I want to say, April May ish timeframe of twenty twenty two, I put in for like the outside employment through the command you know it. So again, if you're on you know, just burning leave, there's still some employment restrictions where you're able to do quite a bit of stuff. You just have to ask permission for it ahead of time. So I was able to actually start working for myself and my company just burn, like excess termal leave. I didn't do like the skill bridge, none of the transition programs. Once I had all my VA stuff squared away and everything else, you know, I even like started working for myself even before I had my retirement ceremony, had that in June of twenty twenty two, and then like literally just burning, you know, the excess leave I had at that point in time, just coming a little bit here and there in between work trips I had lined up. So so many people told me, it's like, hey, it's some big change.
Speaker 2: You know you did you know over twenty years in the.
Speaker 3: Military, you know, right out of high school, Like you need to take some time off, you know, like six months to a year, maybe do a little work here and there, you know, and and.
Speaker 2: Really kind of figure out what you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't listen to any of that shit. So I literally got my retirement.
Speaker 3: I took my wife into the command for one last time on September thirtieth of twenty twenty two, got her a dependent you know, retiree ID.
Speaker 2: I had to get rid of. I had to get rid out of.
Speaker 3: Several programs in the Clandestin Operation squad and I was in and then turning my access badge, got my d D two fourteen, and then went and got my military retiree ID.
Speaker 2: At that point, they gave me a temporary badge.
Speaker 3: You know, I hate this badge out and just leave it right on the top of the the badge readers you're driving out.
Speaker 2: Did that, and literally three days later I'd already had it lined up. I did a three week work trip.
Speaker 3: That's you know, seventy two hours after I officially retired. So I went out to Denver, did some training out there for a week, and then went to Dallas Fort Word for a week, and then down to Houston for a week. Sorry not Houston, San Antonio. I'd already done a Houston trip previous to that. So yeah, again, like I totally understand, I totally get white. You know, some folks want to do you know, six months a year, you know, you know some you know sabbatical, you know, hiatus.
Speaker 2: But that was definitely not me.
Speaker 3: Like, literally seven and seventy two hours later, I was on the road again, hitting it hard.
Speaker 2: So I've been been going NonStop ever since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you needed something to do with yourself to keep you occupied. Absolutely got your navy veteran hat from the p X and you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, I got my you know, company logo of that wasn't going.
Speaker 2: To get any in that.
Speaker 1: Maybe a name with you exactly, so your company, you have a training group, tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Galloglass Guardian group.
Speaker 3: And then I get asked all the time the name, what's like the namesake, you know, what.
Speaker 2: Does it mean?
Speaker 3: So so gallo Glass was a term for Scotch Irish mercenaries from the thirteenth to sixteenth century from the North Norse Gaelic armies kind of where some of my family lineage is from.
Speaker 2: You know, my dad, Dad's obviously last name Wendesay Scottish.
Speaker 3: My last name my mom was, her maiden name was was Brennan for Irish, so kind of had the tribal the tribal areas of Scotland and Ireland and the family lineage. So again the Scotch Irish, you know, you know, Galloglass warriors were Scotch Irish mercenaries from you know, kind of their version of special operations forces during that time. And once they would leave service, you know, military service, they'd go back to the tribal areas and protect the uh the chiefs and the uh the tribal villagers from criminal elements and foreign innovators, or sometimes they would be hired by another foreign uh you know, tribe to help protect the tribal areas in the same capacity. So not quite what I'm doing to the you know, to the tea, but I mean it's very similar in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: As far as some of the tactical training.
Speaker 3: We do a little bit of security you know and assessments and things like that, but really like our bread and butter is the uh the tactical training for domestic law enforcement. We do some uh some kind of civilian training as well, trying to get a little bit more involved with that, and I started doing a lot more about leadership team building talks here recently as well various presentations. I have a big power point. I can do uh, you know, almost a full full day of stuff, or I could do like, you know, kind of blocking in it's just several hours at a time, just depending on what the what the clients are, you know, wanting, what they're asking for.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 4: There's also a knife design company. Oh yes, I actually have a couple of them right here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so TSG Blade so good, buddy, mine I knew from uh from Seal Team four or we just we've kind of been working on this for a while. And so yeah, we just had our The website is not live just yet. It's gonna be TSG Blades. I'm actually gonna have a phone call hopefully tomorrow the next day to follow up with our web designer. But this is our initial initial knife we hadn't made right here. So this is the TSG Blades Overt, the large it's a little over five inches, one hundred percent American made. Our knife manufacturer is out of the Denver, Colorado area, Revo, Indy Nids. And so yeah, it's got you know, the un clip sheath, you know, a whole Kai Dex thing else. So that one, and then we have.
Speaker 2: Then we have the TSD Blades Covert. That's the smaller one.
Speaker 3: So that this one is not beneficially released yet, but the other one is going to be hopefully released on on the website here very soon.
Speaker 2: I have some of I've been selling in person.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, man, Yeah they look great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then so the for the third one.
Speaker 3: Again, this is literally just a prototype our our manufacturing made after we design This's gonna be a folder basically the size of the this TSG blades, the covert, this was gonna be the the clandestine and a folder.
Speaker 2: So and it's a pretty printed prototype.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're gonna be hopefully starting to take orders for those very soon as well.
Speaker 1: Cool man. And uh, then let's also talk a little bit about some of the other stuff that you've gotten into, like, uh, there's a bit of your police law enforcement work that you're getting into. And then I mean there's also how we met doing some security work exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess again I've we've joked before. We got to like, you know, start linking up, brother, you know, more than like once a year like work. You know, So either you got to come down when Jaymed comes down, you know some of the boys boys week in North Carolina or meeting Dallas or all hit up head up north in.
Speaker 2: The you know the NYC to meet you guys.
Speaker 3: So no, So I'm a fully commissioned reserve deputy in the State of Louisiana through Richmond Parish and again just you know kind of help out with training works some you know coming and going when I'm traveling through there. But I'm in the process of getting my Texas Commission on Law Enforcement license as well.
Speaker 2: I'll be a reserved through Allen Texas PD.
Speaker 3: I again talking about like the the Navy cop Mastered Arms.
Speaker 2: How it all, you know, kind of came full circle since.
Speaker 3: I had that, you know that any seed enable listening code in addition to being a seal, I was able to get approved by the from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement to go the Military Police credentialing route. That really saves a lot of in person academy times. So that would I would normally have to do, even though there's a special Operations route. You can go a special Operations veteran and then a military police veteran. And I was able to kind of get shave a shave even more time off. So I've already done all my line so I'm all of my online requirements. I've done all of my in person academy except for I need eight hours two different four hour blocks that I'm getting knocked out next next Thursday on June fifth, and one of the regional academies in the Dallas Fort Worth area. And after that, I put in my my affliction to take the exam and just hopefully knock it out the excuse, you know, the first time knock out the the test, you know, then I'm then I'll be be able to get the fully commissions and license at that point in time. So again a lot of guys have asked me, you know, like, hey, why why why you doing the law enforcement you know, like actual you know, commissioning, Like you don't need that in your military experience.
Speaker 2: But for me, I'm all about just being like a lifelong learner, you know.
Speaker 3: And again, when I set out to do something, I really truly intend to try to be of all possible the best in the world at it. And I think like, okay, how do I how can I set myself apart from other guys doing with similar backgrounds, doing the you know, the training gig as well. So kind of my my thought process was like, hey, if I can have as many different credentials and licenses, is domestic law enforcement where I'm when I'm working a shift, you know, helping the guys out, you know, guys and gals out, I'm held at the same standard, you know, saying you know, like you know use of force, you know in in the same uh, you know, restrictions and guidelines, you know underneath the you know, the Texas Commission Enforcement or Louisiana Peace Officers standing and training, Like how I got to set myself apart, Well, if I have as much real world experience as I possibly can, I'll be able to help translate that to a lot of the training blocks. We do that much more and kind of put that domestic law enforcement spin on things, because I mean I've heard a lot of times before people compare like, hey, special operations, you know forces, you know, doing overseas operations versus domestic law enforcement. Is is comparing apples to oranges. But if you really want to break it down, there's a lot there's a whole lot of similarities as well. So one of the biggest onesdays, Okay, you have, like the military, you have your commanders intent, you have your rules of engagement. In domestic law enforcement, you have your you know, your chiefs intent, your sheriffs, your director, whatever organization you're working for. You have your use of force guidelines, the US rule of law. So you still have your left and right flanks. You have to operate in and again if I can, if I can, you know, continue to hopefully you know, help out you know, the you know, local, uh, state and federal law enforcement agencies and kind of really like you know, curtail even if they don't take exactly you know, how we're you know, some of the things we put out to them as far as different tactics, techniques and procedures for various operations. If I could just help put a little of a spin and more things for them and it fits within their department rate seats of policies or guidelines and saves one of their life, one of their buddies' lives, or an innocent civilians life. I mean, that is worth every second, you know, you know, I mean all the effort I'm putting into it. So again I have gotten you know, uh, you know, texts and phone calls from guys. You know, it's definitely at some point in time, I really need to do like a h a testimonials to get the up the website updated a little bit more. But guys hitting me up saying like dude, like some of the stuff you showed us literally saved our lives.
Speaker 2: This is what happened.
Speaker 3: So that's a good feeling you talk about like job satisfaction at that point. So again, yeah, hopefully if I can make you know, I can do that and really do something I enjoy and make a good, you know, good living for myself, you know, my family. That's you know, acting on the cake, but literally just receiving text messages or phone calls from from guys that's saying like, dude, like, I don't know I'm sitting here, Like one guy recently was he was involved in two separate shootings. I put through multiple courses and he like to hit me up, you know, two separate events about like you know, two years apart, and he hit me up, you know, saying as hey, I'm sitting here with my you know you know, you know young their two or three year old daughter, and like my wife is you know, X amount of months pregnant. He's like, I honestly don't know if I'd be sitting here right now if it wasn't for you and some of the stuff you put out.
Speaker 2: So so I just wanted to say thank you. So again, getting getting calls and texts like.
Speaker 3: That is like is it just I mean, it's it's worth every bit of the uh you know, the effort and the struggle sometimes being a small business owner you know, running it, you know running you know, you know post military life here.
Speaker 2: But again, you know, talk about just you know, always one of the lifelong lessons learned. Right now. I always like to break things down, like.
Speaker 3: They just said, the uh you know you know uh, you know, tactical, operational, and strategic, uh you know levels of things. Right now, I'm really concentrating more on the tactical, like the boots on the ground, the end user getting a little bit is like operational stuff when you have multiple you know units, you know, inner agencies you know, working together in a mutual aid capacity. But if you have when you want to start bringing are talking about the strategic level things those your policy makers and whether it be like you know, you know, state or federal you know, like you know, congressional your members helping get legislation you know across or even like you know, senior leaders from you know, your various various agencies. You know, like you're your chiefs, sheriffs, directors, you know, folks that are really like affecting policy and writing policy. So I would like to get to the point where I have enough experience across the board where I can really start hopefully affecting at the strategic level as well, and like really really helped kind of set some policies to where it would keep officers in the general public, you know, say that's really it's all it's all about. It's all about safety in the general public and safety for the for the officers doing the dangerous job trade.
Speaker 4: There's something you mentioned that I'd like to kind of key you off of.
Speaker 1: You talked about being a lifelong learner, and I'd love to ask, you know, someone who worked at your level today, what are you still learning about marksmanship? What are you still learning about reaching? What are you still learning about tactics?
Speaker 2: They're they always evolved.
Speaker 3: So when I teach in the teaching one of the UH one of the like the the CQB portions, I always talk about bangs used to like bangs, you know, distraction devices, the visionary devices.
Speaker 2: In the civilian the world, we.
Speaker 3: Would call them crashes in the military that I made the exact same things. A lot lot of times it's exact same manufacturer, depending on UH, which agency is buying from which which manufacturer.
Speaker 2: But again talk about just.
Speaker 3: You know, on O J T and always trying to like make the course you know, better with with various you know, various uh you know kind of critiques you know, you know, you know kind of you know, you know, aar points guys would come up with. And so I remember I was actually down at Houston teaching a course for a Region two of the Texas Tactical Police Officers Association.
Speaker 2: I do a lot of a lot of work with. And again, like it was interagency class.
Speaker 3: You know, he had guys that are like, you know, full time swat guys from major metropolitan area. And then you had guys that were, you know, you know, within like less than two years as a as a police officer, they got sent to instructor level of CQB Corps.
Speaker 2: So you have like huge training disparity.
Speaker 3: But so anyways, so when we're talking about implementing bangs, and there was like we were doing a deliberate style clearance and.
Speaker 2: Like one of the guy, a couple of guys, like one guy that was actually the one man in the doorway.
Speaker 3: Guys were getting a little frustration because the gears are grinding, not working together. For the first time, I think it was the first day when this happened. After we had it did like some classroom portions of things and really like the one guy you know on the number number one man was like, guys, what do you want me to do? You want me you know, you're gonna bang and want me to hold You want to banging clear deliberately. You want to be bang, you know, bang and take it dynamically. And I'm just like stop right there, you know, like I literally got on my phone. I'm like, I have to add that to the UH, you know, the the bang portion of the UH of the calls us you know, you know, the presentation doing the distraction and are utilizing the distraction devices. So and that's just one of like, you know, many many examples I could give of our far as just just listening to guys, you know, from from the domestic law enforcement standpoint, how they do things and how it's like, Okay, I can totally see that, Like maybe I should like more for a least at least cover that in different aspects. You know, it's always always you know, evolving and making making the curriculum better and better. And again, like I've I've told a lot of folks this as well. I'm of the mindset of everything I teach, everything I put out in a domestic law enforcement training course, I need to be able to prepare myself and be able to be accountable if things do not go right, even if the officers did everything correctly things if not they do not go right, I could get called to the carpet and get on the witness stand, and I have to justify why I, you know, put you know, the certain training objectives and the curriculum.
Speaker 2: Why I was covering that. That's why I'm so big. It was. It was a lot of work, you know, leading up to it.
Speaker 3: But a couple of years ago, the Texas State Legislator changed the kind of rules for some of the reporting requirements for training.
Speaker 2: Where before it said like if you if the.
Speaker 3: Course got audited, you had to provide a lesson plan with like the different training objectives and curriculum ahead of time and also the skills test. Then they changed it. I want to say it was September of twenty three they change it to where like you had to have one on file ahead of time. So again it was a lot of extra work for me, and I had, you know, work in between uh, the work trips, I was back here getting some family time in in North Carolina. But it really forced me to start making some of these you know Texas Commission on Law Enforcement template, uh, you know lesson plans where it's like at CQB surveillance shooting, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like a lot of night vision work I do as well.
Speaker 3: And so I've I've always passed those off and guys want them, you know, like the training coordinator will get a copy of it for the reporting standards.
Speaker 2: But there's even other states.
Speaker 3: So I kind of had sent that to guys and you know what I've done the course is through them, are with them and uh and they've actually been able to take it morph it to their state their state standards and like it was you know, it's like the lesson there they can make their own lesson plan on file at that point too.
Speaker 2: So that's that's definitely a benefit.
Speaker 3: And it just kind of has that that that that that little bit of extra extra backing to know that like, hey, a state governing body is you know at tracking and approved through a training coordinator at you that you are actually you know, you know, go in by the lesson plan and when I whenever I do, hope like it. You know, my test knocked out for my Texas Commission on Law Enforcement you know license, and I get commissioned with ALAN. One of the first courses I'm going to go to is the forty hour t COLE Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Instructor Training Block. So because after that, I'll be able to, like I think it's I have my own control number if i'm if I'm not mistaken, and I can actually bottom line like lesson plans instead of always having to run through you know, like training coordinators for a certain department.
Speaker 2: So still a little bit more I got to figure out on that.
Speaker 3: As far as if I still have need to run through a department itself, I think that might be the case, but I just would be able to take a lot of work off, a lot of load off of the training coordinators having that qual in addition into my my t COLE, you know, like general Peace Officer's license.
Speaker 4: Trey, this has been a pretty wild ride, man. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Speaker 1: And is there anything we haven't gotten to, anything I haven't asked that you'd really like to talk about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think we cover the majority of it.
Speaker 3: I mentioned the t t p o A, the Texas Tactical Police Office Association a lot I do. I do some stuff with the n t l A, the National Tactical Office Association, not as much, but I'm gonna be presenting their conference again this year when they're when I have it in the in the end of August and the DC area, so looking forward to that. I'll probably do it maybe like Onesies, twesdies courses of them. There's there's several other state a lot of law enforcement you know, nonprofit organizations that I hopefully get more of work with, like the H two A, the Heartland Tactical Office Association, the Kansas City area.
Speaker 2: That's another another one I've been working on hot heavy. I gotta gotta get some stuff excuse me, a schedule through them.
Speaker 3: So that and then I would like to talk just a little bit about you know, a nonprofit I'm I'm partner with and do a little Good foundation. They have the Dallas Fort Worth area, so I mean, even though they're based out of there, they kind of sponsored training and other stuff. I mean, if you you look on their website, just d a l G that already to do a Little Good Foundation, and you google that old the website will pop up. But now buddy, buddy of mine started that, you know, years ago, as you know, the founder and executive director, Russ Spears is his name, and he's just he's just one of the most phenomenal human beings that I've ever met in my entire life.
Speaker 2: He's a former Navy veteran himself.
Speaker 3: And then really he has several different several different aspects, you know, different like mission focuses where one is like you know, training domestic law enforcement. Two is kind of helping with you know, veteran entrepreneurship programs, and three it's like a knine like you know, like a you know, a service animal for kids that have you know, been like an abuse of homes and things like that. I know there's other stuff he's getting involved with as well. And again if you just go on their website and look and they just they just have some just from some phenomenal programs. So definitely wanted to want to get them some more of visibility here this evening as well.
Speaker 1: We'll have links down the description, and I think we also have a couple of viewer questions for you to Trey.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is from Corbin. How often did fitfull apply to c QB?
Speaker 2: Okay, fitful applies to all aspects of life? Tell you you know so, But now a lot of it is just I don't say, like.
Speaker 3: Hey, a quick decision like our basic tactic you know, executed quickly is usually better than an advanced tactic executed slowly or poorly. Though again, like you talk about just you know, playing pick up basketball, fill and flow, read and react, it all means the same thing. You have to have a lot of the figure out the fuck out mentalities you go. You still want to have your SOPs and you want abide by them, so you're not you know, breaking the rules. Like I talked about before, the definition of advanced tactics, just knowing the basics, knowing what it makes sense to break the rules, and then be able to articulate why you broke those rules, as all advanced tactics are.
Speaker 1: From CB. What's your opinion on the MP seven.
Speaker 5: I've heard comments from other Tier one guys that it's not liked and used as much at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it was not I had one for years.
Speaker 3: I carried it on a few ops, but there's just you heard horse stories from guys that if some guys had good success when they.
Speaker 2: Had to use it, other guys did not.
Speaker 3: And just the round itself, I think I think it could have been a little bit more up, you know, efficient, but like some of like the actual bullet designs you know, and ingrains would have been a little bit different.
Speaker 2: But again, like this, it's such a.
Speaker 3: Small market, like kind of talking with some of the ammunition manufacturers are like, you know, when we try to try to get additional, additional you know, rounds with the heavier grain bullets for that, just like guys man, there's only two units out there that's really using it. It's just it's not worth our time for we'd have to invest. So again, it was super lightweight, it was it was freaking so much fun to shoot. I'll give it that. But again, like I only carry it, you know a handful of times when when I was doing some of the Overwatch type missions where I had like a long gun on my back, I wanted to try to make, you know, be as light as I possibly could be. Again, it's just some guys liked it, but the majority guys just weren't super super you know, big fans of but so I think some better options now, even though it's a you know, the pistol caliber versions, but like the the MP X, I have one of those three sig love that thing, the the Nemo Arms mongoose that just came out and just got released. Good buddy of mine, we were at the Command for together for quite a bit. He works for Nemo Arms. So yeah, just haven't a chance to shoot that yet, but just feeling it, you know, hands on like I would. I would carry one of those before I carried an MP seven for sure overseas or even domestically.
Speaker 5: One more, what was your favorite rifle or gun while you were in the teams?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my H and K four sixteen will always be near and dear to my heart, just because you know, never never let me down when I needed it do or it was hoping it did not let me down.
Speaker 2: I should say we got the noveskis.
Speaker 3: I think in twenty gosh, what year was it, twenty seventy I was still in our assault squadron, so got the Noveskies. Those were definitely you know, a good upgrade, but again really didn't you know, really didn't get a chance to deploy that much with it.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed the hell out of shooting it for sure.
Speaker 3: That phenomenal guns like some of the other awesome you know American manufacturer you know AR companies, AR manufacturer companies are but I'd say, yeah, just the H and K four sixteen will always be near and dear to my heart, just because it was. It was the workhorse for the UH, for the tiers, for the Tier one organizations for many years during the height of the gquat.
Speaker 4: That's it for questions. Try one more time. Let folks out there know where they can find you, where they can find your company.
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely, Yeah, So it's my website is uh three G Strategic Consultants dot com. This is exactly how it's listening spelled out. Also on Facebook, I do some stuff work related on there, but yeah, you just look at my name, Trey Lindsay, you know, should be able to send me a free request for Instagram.
Speaker 2: I have Galloglass three G.
Speaker 3: It has my company logo on there as well, so I do a lot of like, uh, you know, a lot of work work related obviously to the three G company on there. Also have a TSG Blade. You should be able to look that up on Instagram, but I haven't posted a whole lot. I'm waiting for our website to go live before we do kind of our official online launch, and then also for for Instagram v t L three. That's uh, you know, that's just my personal one of the walls I usually tag. If I'm sending a post on one, I'll tag the other one so guys will be able to pick up on that. And also guys are interested in getting swag. It's out of the Dallas, Texas area, my swag company just you know, on the website three G Merch just you know, it's how it's spilled out, like three G then M E r c H dot com. It should pop up all the different you know, various various you know hats, you know, t shirts. Just got some hoodies in as well, got a like, you know, like little like you know, kind of yetti style you know, koozy cups, and have a have a platform of other things we're gonna be.
Speaker 2: Adding as well. So again, yeah, just if guys are interested in that, just three G merch dot com.
Speaker 5: Awesome, Hey Trey, if you want, you can send us all those links and they will be in the description of this video in the show notes. So if you guys want to follow Trey or any or get some merch, check out the Knives anything.
Speaker 1: The links are in the description.
Speaker 2: Got it, Yeah, say so?
Speaker 3: The on the on the Knife website, it's gonna be We already owned the doname. It's gonna be TSG blades dot com. It's just not live yet. We're having our web designer do the do the final kind of a you know, e commerce, you know.
Speaker 2: All the stuff. He's gotta do it. But definitely sorry. TSG Blades on Instagram.
Speaker 3: You'll be able to follow me there, and then TSG Blades you know dot com will hopefully be live within the next week or two and we'll be able to start taking orders online.
Speaker 1: Awesome, man, Well, Trey, thank you for doing this interview and spending some time with us this evening. Really appreciate it. Man.
Speaker 2: Oh likewise, brother, I appreciate y'all have me on.
Speaker 3: Like like I mentioned before, we gotta we gotta start hanging out more than once a year.
Speaker 2: Work like that.
Speaker 1: You're You're welcome up here anytime, man, and come smoke cigars together.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, like J Man's actually coming down here in a uh in in June.
Speaker 4: For a bit, you know, Okay, yeah, yeah, so yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Saying, just just going out there and you can get a little, you know, get away for a quick, little bros trip. He's coming on Thursday evening. We're gonna be doing some shooting and uh hanging out on that Friday. Then he's leaving Saturday morning first thing.
Speaker 2: So just out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I might have to work that in there sometime this year. Yeah, thanks again, Frey, and uh for everyone else out there, We'll see you again next time. Thanks for joining us. And hey, don't forget to check out the Patreon. There's links to in the description as always, so we'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Jack. I just want to talk to you for a moment about how you can support the show. If you've been watching it enjoying it, but you'd like to get a little bit more involved and help us continue to do this, you can check out our Patreon. It is patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, and for five dollars a month, you can get access to all of these episodes of the Teamhouse ad free. The same goes with our affiliated podcast Eyes On with Andy Milburn, Jason Lyons mcmulroy that one. You will also get all of those episodes ad free, and you support the channel and the show, and we really appreciate it. The Patreon members are literally what has helped this company, this small business, survive, especially during our early years, and you are what continues to help this thing going even as we navigate the turbulent world of YouTube advertising. So we really appreciate all of you, guys. There's going to be a link down in the description to that Patreon page, and there is also going to be a link to our new merch shop, so if you guys want to go and get some Teamhouse merchandise, we got stickers and we also have patches, and I should mention if you sign up for Patreon at ten dollars a month, we will mail you this patch as well, so we really appreciate that. But they're also for sale on the merch shop and additionally, they got t shirts up there, water bottles, a tote bag, coffee mugs, all that good stuff, so please go and check them out and support the show. We really appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you,