Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: I just realized we have back to back game day editions of Coffee and Company. Friday, we were out on the road at the Alex R. White Lawyers offices. I mean Alex White's office. I mean technically the company's Alex R. White Lawyers. To distract driver dot com. But you know, when I'm referring to just him, I think I can just say Alex White and you guys, you guys know what I mean. But we were there Friday for a game day because obviously Louisville and Boston College for a Friday night game that obviously didn't look good early, but a strong finish and a finish that I hope can really ignite this team in these last four games.
Speaker 2: And then today it's game Day.
Speaker 3: It's not a real game, but it's an exhibition, your second chance to get out and see Pat Kelsey coaching this team again. Not a real game. Spaulding, a Division III team is likely going to get beat down tonight. And maybe I shouldn't say that, because that sounds like it's going to be like you know, ugly and embarrassing. You know, that's I think most people go into these kind of games knowing that the host, right the Division I program usually is going to end up winning by a large margin, and it's just a good experience for everybody involved. You get a chance to if your Louisville go up against a different team than your own team every day, like you do every day in practice. And then for Spaulding, you know, you get a chance to, you know, play against a really good team, probably a team that's going to be insanely better than anybody else should play at that level of basketball throughout the season, and you probably get a good check on the way. I don't know what it pays to come in and play Louisville basketball on an exhibition, but I'm sure there's some type of a paycheck they're going to get on the way out. So tonight we will have postgame coverage as soon as it ends. We'll go live right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville Basketball postgame Show. Hopefully we can hear from you guys and react to whatever it is that happens. I would imagine we'll be really doing the same postgame show as we did last Monday, which was Wow, that was awesome. This team's fun is hell to watch. They've got shooters all over the floor, and I forgot what it was like to watch your team dominate an exhibition opponent because it's been a while. I'm sure there'll be some other takeaways from there, and we'll get to this a little bit later on. There are a couple of things that you know, I wouldn't even say nitpicking, because if you say nitpicking, it actually is acting like you're being critical. I don't think there's really anything to take from the first exhibition game, and probably not tonight either. That's going to be like, hmm, I noticed this, we must be in really good shape here, or hmm, this looked a little questionable. Maybe we like you just don't know. I mean, you could try to say you're learning some things about your team in these games, but you're not. And it's nobody's fault that that's just the reality of it. But a couple of things that I that I would imagine will be a little different tonight compared to what we saw last week. I'll get to that coming up a little bit later on. But again, it's coffee and company, and we are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And if you want to join us on the show, phone lines are open. I just realized I don't even have my call screener up here, So if you guys want to give us a call again, five h two five to seven nine hundred again five O two five seven seventy nine hundred. So a very full postgame show on Friday night, full lines throughout a lot of people, you know, kind of and this is what I love about the postgame shows. Whenever you have a you have a game playout, I mean, it's probably not good for the show because I feel like each time we start, I'm kind of just rambling trying to kind of form my overall opinion on what just happened, because it's so raw and in real time, like you know, usually what happens is if I'm doing the postgame show from my house, I watched the final snap and then I come downstairs and turn on the equipment and we roll. But the first few callers were essentially pleased with the way they were able to come back and win, and you were feeling good that you avoided what would have been your first bad loss of the season. But then you know, there's a lot of clear there's issues still with this team, you know, And they played much better after that twenty to nothing deficiting Clearly they played much better in the second half. The defense was so much better in the second half, so like all those things are positives, but then you still see, like, you know, Tyler Shuck, who's been great all year, he actually for the first time he made some bone headed decisions that you just aren't used to. And it was like in the first half when they're down twenty to noth and you got the interception from Shock and then you got the fumble from Amari Huggins Bruce two veterans, it just hit me that that's who this team is, and maybe they are like, maybe we'll get to the end of the year and say, yeah, you should expect one of those types of plays every week, but I'm hopeful that the way in which they and look, sometimes it's just an other team making a play, or you can chock it up as bad luck, But when you've played as many games as Louisville has this year and you've had this many big mistakes and the way Jeff, I mean, Jeff just called him mistakes when he was talking about it on the broadcast the other night. But today in his press conference he mentioned, you know, we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. So look, if you've played eight games and you've shot yourself on the foot the way Louisville has consistently, Like again, doesn't mean you can't clean it up and fix it, but like, that's your identity, that's who you are. And they were still bad on Saturday until towards the end of the game, and there was one thing that happened late that I got really really like when he decided to throw And again, it's one of those things where if Jeff completes that, like, well he's not playing. So if Shuck was able to complete that pass too, I think it was Brooks and the ball hit him in his hands decently defended, But like, I don't think Jeff used it this way, but he could actually sit back and say, look, I called a play that they weren't expecting third and short. They probably think we're just gonna run the ball, kill as much clock as we can make them call their last time out or call another time out of whatever it is. But you know, it didn't work because they dropped the ball. Like it's just a it's not worth the risk because to be fair, he's right, like he did call a play that would to work, should have worked had had Ja Cory Brooks held on the ball. And again, I think defense was decent there. But like I I was starting to kind of come around to like, here we go. They're playing, even though it's not against a great competition, they're playing some really good football right now, and they're looking like they're I mean, they're bouncing around, they've got some swagger about themselves. They've got some confidence about themselves that a way really haven't seen all year. So you know, as soon as I'm starting to think, okay, like maybe we have turned the corner here if we if we can hold on and win, and then whenever they decided to, when Jeff decided to throw the ball instead of run it there and it gave Boston College a bunch of opportunities to potentially break our hearts with you know, a late hill Mary or something. I just you know, it would have been it would have been tough. But at the end, they didn't happen. And I think throughout the year for Louisville football, the overall result when it comes to the losses, has not been devastating, has not been oh my god, we we better sound the alarm. We got big problems here because you know, you're not losing to bad teams and you have chances late to win. So it's not like the result. Hey, you lost by a score at Notre Dame, you lost by a score to Miami, you lost by a score to SMU. Those aren't like positives, but the overall result, meaning the loss to those teams and how it and you know how it played out, nobody's looking at you and thinking, oh man, that's it embarrassing loss. I mean maybe some people are, but like, all three of these teams are top twenty teams right now. So I think we had the same you'll hear me out, I'll make sense and we'll get to the phone calls in just a second. But I think we had a similar scenario on Friday against Boston College it's just reversed. Meaning yeah, I'm not gonna act like it's the end of the world because you lost in South Bend by a score. But come on, let's think about what you had to do to even give Notre Dame the lead that they had with just snapping the ball over the punter's head, chuck running for fifty yards, then coughing it up to Corey Brooks balls in his hands and then he just pops out and they get an interception. Take it the other way, like, you had so many crucial mistakes that you feel like you take just one of those away, Like I felt like we were gonna be able to say at that point that was the flukey loss. Go back and look at all the mistakes the over may But then again, you know, same thing with Miami and SMU And again, these aren't terrible losses, but it's the fact that they keep shooting themselves in the foot that you know, made it so fresh. Trading the result by beating Boston College where you did not cover the spread, that's not a big result that we should be super happy about because again, you did what you're supposed to do. In fact, you didn't and when it comes to those that set the lines you didn't cover. I mean, I don't care about that. I'm as happy they won. But my point is, like I think the Loisle fans are feeling really good about themselves right now, or maybe Louisville players, I should say, And I get it. It's because it's not the result itself, it's everything that came with it. It's everything that transpired. And I think to be down twenty to nothing and these guys, you know, not quit keep fighting and find a way to win internally, if they choose, they can really use this as a big piece. It's the foundation piece essentially for you to finish strong this year. Doesn't mean you can you know, you're guaranteed to go be Clemson. But like, if this Louisville team stops shooting themselves in the foot as much as they have this year Jeff Brahm's words myself meaning that's how he describes it, shooting themselves in the foot, like they would have a better record. Like because again it sounds crazy, you are what you're record says you are. But I think this team's good. They just make stupid mistakes at times, and nobody's perfect. But man, let's not act like Louisville hasn't seemingly made bigger, bone headed mistakes that have had an impact in how these things, how some of these games have finished?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Five O two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to jump in and give us a call, we'll go to the phone lines now and we will welcome in. Jerry, Jerry, what's happening many?
Speaker 1: Nick? Last night I watched Duke Arizona State B Darner. I'm starving for. I'm starving for for games like that, you know, competition D one competition. I don't really understand why the heck we're playing Spaulding. I looked it up. You know, Roger Berkman's not the ad there anymore. I couldn't remember I looked it up.
Speaker 3: I forgot about Roger's connection there. Yeah, I totally forgot about that.
Speaker 1: But the gay that's there now is a U L grad who's who's done a lot of work with our athletic department. And I don't know who he if. It was a contractor kind of thing, but if you read his bow, he helped out with some NCAA regionals for U of L. YadA, YadA, all that stuff. But I just Spaulding is not considered a strong Division III program.
Speaker 3: No no, and Jerry so I talked about this at the very beginning of the show because I didn't understan mean Spaulding playing any D three school is rare for a program like Louisville for exhibition games. And I get it, like, usually you'll play a really good D two team or really good NAI team. But I mean, who would you want to play like instead of Spaulding, Like I you know, I think given the circumstances and given the last two exhibition seasons when you played like I kind of get while they're playing them this year.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, everybody's playing these exhibition charity games.
Speaker 2: I'm jealous though, why we're not.
Speaker 1: I don't know why we're not playing Cincinnati or Western or whatever. I mean, give me somebody, you know. I mean, I'm starving, you know, I've been waiting two years. I'm starving for some for good ball. I know what's around the corner. But we're still what two weeks away from Tennessee yep, okay, and then uh back to Duke for a second. It's really interesting, you know, I think I think we're gonna be a good shooting team. Uh, it appears Kentucky is too. But then I watched Duke last night, and I don't know what their percentage. They filled it up many. They got shooters everywhere, So I don't know if that's a new thing across the country. Uh the word, You're gonna have to have a ton of three point shooters to get deep in the tournament. But it seems like the games I've watched, everybody's shooting the hell out of the ball. It's really interesting. I heard Indiana did not shoot it well yesterday, which doesn't break my heart because I really want to beat them that game, you know, I mean, Woodson's deep into his tenure, what four or five years in Kelsey's brand new. I would love to see us paym you know, kick kick them, you know, I want to. I want to win that game bad. But but anyway, I'm just I'm just down on this faulding game. I just I shake my head at it. You know, I look at it too, like, you know, what what if we what if we come out of the game a game like that with a dag on injury, you know what, what have we really what have we gained? And I don't see any game for us at all, even when you win by fifty or sixty or eighty or whatever. I just think it's a wasted day. In my opinion. I think you'd be better off practicing.
Speaker 3: Yep, Jerry, I appreciate the call man. Good to hear from you. So at the beginning of the show, and I mentioned how I was kind of getting jealous of you know, John John got to watch his team.
Speaker 2: He's a Hoosier.
Speaker 3: He got to watch Indiana and Tennessee play an exhibition game last night. And you know, I would love to see Louisville play maybe who Jerry mentioned, like a Cincinnati team like that would be cool, just to see where you stand and if you lose, it doesn't really, it doesn't hurt you. But then I thought, you know, let's let's let's consider the circumstances here for Louisville. Let's consider the fact that you know, you didn't beat exhibition of consistently the last two years. But you know, Jerry and I are a lot alike when it comes to certain things. I don't know if he feels that way, but like, you know, you've got the you got one talking head on one shoulder and the other on the other side, and one's like the good and the bad. One's the pessimist, one's the optimist. You know, Jerry hits my optimistic or I'm sorry, my pessimistic side in a major way because like everything he laid out, I totally like agree with. But then I thought, okay, well, let's be let's be grateful. Let's be grateful for the fact that we're no longer in a position to where we'd have to worry about losing these games. Now the injury thing. Look, you could look if Louisville played Duke tonight in a in a charity exhibition game and somebody got hurt, the same Thingking Be said, because it doesn't count no matter who you're playing. These games aren't real. They do not do anything for you as far as you know. Wins and losses, resume record, that kind of stuff. So the injury thing, like, you could say that about anything, but you are right, like, I don't know how much you really gain by beating a team like this by fifty or sixty.
Speaker 2: But you know.
Speaker 3: It's not put it this way, It's nice that you're gonna have Morehead State before you get to Tennessee, because obviously Morehead State, you know, and that's that's something to you know, to get to next week. And by the way, that game is a week from the day. The actual opener will be a week from the day when Louisville takes on Morehead State at the UMP Center. Again a real game then, but Morehead State is going to be miles and miles better than everybody you have played competitively up to this point, including the exhibitions in the Bahamas and these two exhibition opponents here in the last couple of weeks, so you know, you got to be ready to make that big step up. But look, I actually think what Jerry said is not off like you know, but I have no put it this way. I'm jealous that that other teams are getting these exhibitions against legitimate teams that you know, they're getting a chance to early on see where their team stacks up. However, you know, as far as these exhibitions that are scheduled but you know are part of your schedule every year, like you really can't gain a whole lot in any of them. I mean again, like Louisville lost these games last year like, so whoever they bring in in the first year post Kenny Payne, I don't care if they bring in Seneca High School and let Louisville beat them up, just so we can finally say we went through too. Because A there's not a D two nai school out there as far as exhibition that you would say, Okay, that's a good tune up for us. It would have to be one of these charity exhibitions. And I don't know why Louisville isn't in one. But if they ever do want to take part of these moving forward, I think it'd be awesome. The more basketball we get around here, the happier we are. All right, let's go to Dave. Dave, you are on Sports Talk seven ninety. How we doing this afternoon, sir?
Speaker 4: Oh? Pretty good. I enjoyed the game Friday night. But it's like you said, I agree with you. I think you el is pretty good, except for it seems like every game they make at least one mistake. That's just just the bofle Now. Just about every game app scene this year, the receivers from the other team are wide open. The guy on the telecast Friday night lost to college who is it where? Yeah, Andre Ware, Yeah, how many busted coverage are you? You know who's alis? I think is coaching these guys? Do they just not know what to do? Or is he just giving him bad instruction matters because before the seasons, Dirty Place was bragging a man, how great that cornerbacks was, Well you have to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Dave, I think these players obviously have to be held accountable as well. But I think when you come out of like a time out and somebody's just you know, ends up getting wide open and it's like a busted play from your defense, Like I know, it's everybody top down that's got to be held accountable. But I think that screams you're not being coached correctly, Like that's not that Hey, what are you going to do? Boston College had a receiver that could just go make a play on you, Like, No, you're putting these guys out there and they don't know what the hell they're doing. And at the end of the day, that's on your that's you. That's your job as the defensive coordinator to make sure that they know what the plan is and they execute. Now, if they get out there and they don't make plays and they're in the position to do so, then it's more so on them. But yeah, I mean the defense finished strong. But yes, you're right. I mean the two scores the Boston College have you're thinking, like, how in the world does that happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, And now the thing is the blocking by the offensive line on on the run game is not bad at all, but it's just the past protection. I mean, we you know, like Boston College. I don't think their defensive front four is all a great but still, I mean they were getting pressure on our quarterback the whole night. I mean, our guys just don't seem to block very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And again, and I appreciate the call David all circles back to they just haven't they haven't really put it all together yet. They they've not really been in sync this year. And I think it started to come together towards the end of that game against Boston College. And you know, I mean Boston College scored on the first drive after halftime, and when you're down twenty to nothing, that alone, I mean that's it's like, man, it's gonna be tough for you to come back. I mean I thought that there was really no chance they could win. Not just because like, hey, Boston College is so good and Louisville is so terrible. But again, just look at the circumstances.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: You are down twenty to nothing on the road in the game that was kind of supposed to be there for you to get right and yet they fought, they fought, they battled back, and then at the beginning of the third quarter, Boston College came out and scored, and that was another And again that's just the pessimist in me, but I thought to myself, man, they were clawing back, but that score from BC right out of half, that could really derail the momentum you were establishing. But it didn't. I mean again, Boston College scored at the beginning of the third quarter. After that, four punts and two turnovers on two tod they turned it over on down twice, like the defense really stepped up. And again, I know Boston College didn't great, trust me, but still for these guys to in that situation be able to find a way to get it done doesn't mean they're great. Doesn't mean we may not see the same sloppy team in Clemson this weekend. But I'm choosing to view this, and I hope they do as well. Not that I'm here to like give them great advice and they should listen to me, but I kind of felt like they came together as a team that night with that comeback, and as I said a moment ago, throughout the year, your results themselves have not been alarming in.
Speaker 2: A bad way.
Speaker 3: You've lost to three good teams and you were within a score and really know you could have won those games had you not shut yourself on the foot. Well, this game against Boston College, the result itself is nothing substantial when it comes to value, because it's Boston College. You do what you're supposed to do. You won a game you were expected to win. But how it all came together, I think is a real positive sign. It can be a positive sign for this group. The losses weren't something we got to lose our mind about, but the way they did it, with the multiple mistakes, it's just it was, you know, it's frustrating, But they got Clemson on Saturday, and we'll find out pretty quickly if they really really did grow and you know, kind of come together overall from that comeback performance against Boston College. Now that didn't mean if they play well or guaranteed to win, but wouldn't be shocked if they do, because again, I think loul was a good team. The record doesn't back me up necessarily, but I've seen enough to where I feel like if they do clean some things up, like I like this team, all right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I feel like we went back to, uh, we went back to not really knowing what the hell to expect in the NFL. I mean, I thought the early part of the season, and it is still relatively early in the NFL season, but like early on, like it was good, it was tough to know who was decent, who was average, who was terrible, who was elite, And then it kind of started even out a little bit to where I think heading into this past NFL week, which I guess concludes tonight with a Monday night football game, that we started to get a little bit more of an idea of Okay, here's who we know is really bad, here's who we know is probably pretty good. And then you got a bunch of teams that are kind of right there in the middle. But some results from yesterday. I mean the Rams beating the Vice that was of course on Thursday, that was not expected. I mean the Browns, I mean, maybe they just are much better without Deshaun Watson. Jameis Winston is preaching before and after the game and going out there and leading his team to a victory over Lamar and the Ravens.
Speaker 2: That was tough to see.
Speaker 3: I mean, not a I mean the Ravens started oh to two on the season and then from there started to not only look really good, they started to look like the clear best team in the NFL. And they may still be. Maybe they just had a bad day. But you know, for all this talk about how good the Ravens are, they're five and three and three and two in their division, like they don't really have I mean again, they get in the playoffs and they play well, and they make it all the way to the super Bowl. You know, easier said than done, Like you know they had the ability to do that, but you do want to mess around, like you starting oh to two with losses to one was the Chiefs, which of course isn't a bad loss, but that's now, it works, right, there's no strength to schedule in the NFL. You win or you lose, that's it. But the loss to the Ravens was or sorry, the Raiders was a real head scratcher. And then you know that's just the loss you want to avoid if you're Baltimore, because you are going to play much better teams than Cleveland. But I give Cleveland a lot of credit. I mean, Jameis Winston is like a he's like a movie character, like he he and I say this sincerely. I didn't want to say yesterday because you know, he's funny to me, but like you know, he's not a threat to Lamar Jackson. Lamar Jackson's best quarterback, best player in the NFL right now, I think, and yesterday didn't change that. But I didn't know if it'd be a good look if I was, you know, talking about how funny Jameis Winston is as he's given Lamar and the Ravens a tough loss, but like he needs to be a professional wrestler after he gets tim playing football just to work the mic. I mean, I know you don't watch wrestling a lot a lot, John or maybe ever, but like Jamis just doing Jamis stuff is really funny and entertaining, and like, I just thought he was going to be in the league forever because he's good energy, good positive guy, basically like the team preacher. And sometimes he's got a real good message that he wants to share with people. And apparently he's like a really really easy guy to like. He and he's shown that in recent years. But you know, for him to actually go out and play really good twenty seven to forty one three three four yards and three touchdowns, Like what if he did become like this great quarterback moving forward and the Browns would have gone from having one proven backup that should have been the starter that they shouldn't have got rid of. That's Joe Flacco, which I'll get to him in a moment, and then it's Jamis backing up Deshaun Watson, and Deshaun Watson stunk since he's been in Cleveland, Like he's not like take away the fact that the guy cannot you know, cannot mean he can't go a week without somebody coming from years behind, from you know, years later saying he was inappropriate with them getting a massage, and then you know he just I mean, the guy's addicted to happy endings in a bad way to where you know he's seems like a real scumbag. But like even when he was in Cleveland dealing with the off the field stuff, he's stunk, He wasn't good, but they invested so much money in him, it's like, hey, he's our guy. Well, now you know he's out for the year, And like, if Jameis Winston ends up, I mean, here up aut it this way? I don't even I don't know what the exit strategy is for Cleveland and with that contract, because it's just one of the worst contracts. She may be the worst contract ever in the history of sports. But even if you know, you gotta cut your losses, like you can't keep rolling that guy, even if he's healthy next year. You can't roll him out there again and expect your franchise to like continue to support you.
Speaker 2: But in a weird way, I was happy to see.
Speaker 3: Jamis have that moment, but I wish it would have come against you know, somebody not named the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: And how about my.
Speaker 3: Cults, completely unserious franchise, unserious, inept The only time we've ever been good is because we got lucky and we drafted quarterbacks that you know, are elite, Peyton Manning and then Andrew Luck and then after that we've been decent here and there, but like we're not a threat to anybody. We don't even know how to tank. We would prefer to be in the middle. And you know, just say we're not the worst and maybe we'll get to the playoffs. Oh and then you lose to a winless Jacksonville Jaguars team. That's the only result that could have kept you out of the playoff playoffs two years ago.
Speaker 2: And that's what you did.
Speaker 3: Well, then you do have a really bad year where it's quite clear you're gonna have to you know, gonna you're gonna get an early draft pick.
Speaker 2: And who do you take?
Speaker 3: Anthony Richardson a quarterback who has never been good as quarterback, Like it's one thing that's like, oh he sucks or he's great like that. There's levels to that, like people don't really know. I mean, but when I say he's never been successful, like he's he's somebody being able to throw the ball a mile and being able to run as quick as he can and have the athleticism that he has, Like, that's impressive. There probably aren't many people walking this planet that are as gifted athletically and physically as Anthony Richardson. Doesn't make him a good football player, doesn't make him a good quarterback.
Speaker 2: And he's shown you that.
Speaker 3: He had a record as a starting quarterback in high school of two and eight two and eight ends up at Florida, never really became their full time starter until his last year there, couldn't beat Vandy in the games he started at Florida, had a losing record as a starting quarterback. And the Colts invested in that guy, and he's not good enough.
Speaker 2: We all know that.
Speaker 3: And then the guy that is your franchise, I mean that's the most I mean again, him getting a second contract and then you're paying him. That is where you could say he's your biggest investment. But let's be real, you're only not investing in him Moore now because he's on his rookie deal. And I don't think the Colts love where they're going with him, at least they shouldn't. But like, regardless of what his salary is, let's be honest, the Colts don't get many picks that are that early, and this is who they chose, and it was a terrible decision. And I mean I want him to tank and try again and go get a quarterback once more, Like why not? It's such an important position, and this guy, like you're throwing him out there and he's not ready and like I don't know. I mean, yeah, he's gonna get some experience. He's essentially cutting his teeth as a quarterback. But does anybody see anything that tells you this guy's going to be able to lead you to a deep playoff run anytime in the next five years or something. Look again, I know a lot can change, but you don't get too the NFL and start as a quarterback and it's all about potential, Like I thought, the NFL was about needing to win. And it would have made more sense if they drafted this guy and they were not pressured into playing him right away, and if they were comfortable using a guy like Flacco or Minshew for two years straight and then seeing if this guy is able to cut his teeth, because he's the one guy that like he has never had any experience as a quarterback from high school level on, or he has been successful at that job. Now he has that job for an NFL franchise, and he can carry himself any certain way. He seems likable. How can you have confidence in your ability to be good at a job that you've never been good at at any level? Like that explains why, Like he's never been a part of a team that is good because of his quarterback play, which is why you end up with your second year quarterback. There was a top five pick for you saying he took himself out of the game in the third quarter because he was tired.
Speaker 2: I mean, man, tired.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of runner right there.
Speaker 4: Well I did, and I don't think I was gonna be able to go that next place, So I just you know, I just told saying you needed a break right there.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's context that would be valuable to know as far as like how that whole thing truly played out. But I mean, if you came to your coach and he was like he was like with you, and you were just telling him, like, man, you're gassed, like he probably would have called time out for you, but like for you to come out of the game and just say, hey, I need a break, send somebody else in like what. That's not professional at all. That's not how this works. And again, I just I wish they would. You know, I don't know if it's because of the market that they're in, but both my Pacers and my Colts are afraid to really suck. And yeah, who wants to suck? Right, nobody's having fun, your fans, your players, your organization. Like, it's never good when you're at the bottom of the bottom, but sometimes that's part of the process to give back up. And the Pacers and the Colts never attract really good players in free agency ever, Therefore, they need to build their franchise with really good investments, good draft picks. And I think this has gone so wrong with Richardson that, like, I mean, he was ten of thirty two yesterday. You know how hard that is to do in the NFL. Most NFL play callers aren't going to put a quarterback in a position to have that kind of a stat line. And I'm not saying that the Colts put him in a bad position. I'm saying they probably asked him to do things that, like any other quarterback in the NFL, should be able to do with you know, the difficulty of throw and he still couldn't do it. He's not our only problem, but I just can't believe that they that they drafted him. And you know, hate to say I told you so, because I really didn't want them to draft him, and I didn't want the Colts to be in this position. But like he screamed, avoid, I mean he didn't yell at but everything about his college career and his story screamed on draft night, avoid this guy. This will be the one where somebody thinks they found something special, some kind of Lamar Jackson thing.
Speaker 2: No, that's not what this is at all. All right, As far as who.
Speaker 3: Is tonight's game, Oh Giants, Steelers.
Speaker 2: That should be a decent game.
Speaker 3: Well, Giants think Steelers have probably been the best team as far as record that nobody's talking about as like a really you know, contender, because they've not looked good. But that's kind of the Steeler way. However, when Russell Wilson got rolling in his debut with them last week, when they turned it on and just beat the brakes off of whoever they played, I forget who it was, they look really good. So maybe if they if they keep winning and they look more so like they did last week, maybe they start to get viewed as a team that should be considered, you know, a contender to make it to the Super Bowl. I mean, we're a long way away from that, but they're five and two right now, two and one, and again they're coming off their best game of the season. When Russell Wilson, he's easy to make fun of, Like, I get it, but I always felt like if they're like if there was some world where Russell Wilson got a chance post Denver and he ended up finding success and like it worked out to where he had a you know, four or five year run where he's playing good football and the team's succeeding. One of the scenarios where I could have seen that happening is with Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh because as much as Russell's corny, I think he's about his business. Like I think he's pretty compatible with Mike Tomlin as far as like we want our brand to be that we work our ass off, and you know, I think Russell's always worked hard.
Speaker 2: He just you know, he.
Speaker 3: Really the perception of him changed so much when he started doing like the weird video stuff like he did the SOBA commercial that was weird. He did the unlimited thing or mister Unlimited like that was cringe to the to the levels I didn't know existed. And then you know, he came out with Denver and they were terrible. But I still feel like there wasn't enough out there for you to believe that he was like a guy that shouldn't still be in the NFL. So you know, I'm happy. I happen to think that the Steelers were wise to take this guy whenever nobody else wanted him, because I think the risk was pretty low and the reward. I mean, if he gets back to where he was towards the end of his days in Seattle, like that's a good enough quarterback to where if you're pretty sharp everywhere else, you could be a good team. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up the four o'clock hour, keep this thing rolling along. We'll talk a little more.
Speaker 2: Louislle hoops.
Speaker 3: Is they're an action tonight taken on spauling in an exhibition game. We might have to talk about prices for this game, then, I because that continues to be a conversation, Like if you just go fire up an app and try to find tickets and you see what it costs, Like it's an easy answer for you, Like should I go? Hmm, let me look up tickets. Uh, yeah, I'm not going. But I don't know whose fault that is, Like, I don't think that's you have l fault. I'll explain coming up on the other side. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety final segment here in the four o'clock hour on a Monday edition of Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Big shout out to our friends over at the Jefferson Animal Hospital if you realize that you have not had your pet checked out in a long time, because you know, they can't communicate with us the same way humans can. I'm sure they can communicate with you in your own way, but you may not know that they've got heck, they may not even know that they've got some potential health issues that could be a real scare, a real problem. So it never hurts to get your pet checked up, especially if you're geting a little bit older in age. So Jefferson Animal Hospitals is where you need to do that. You can get more information at Jefferson Veets dot com or give them a call. Five h two, nine hundred pets. They're open twenty four hours a day, even on holidays. So Christmas, I mean, it would be a terrible Christmas to have an emergency happen with your pet where you need medical help. But just know that if you do, they're there twenty four to seven. Their team, their dedicated staff. There's going to be a doctor, you know, a doctor on site. I mean, this is something that they realize. Yeah, you know, I'm sure there's been many holidays, many days where there wasn't an emergency, but I'm sure there has been many over the forty four years they've been around that were scary that you're they're happy they were there to help somebody in needs. So again, Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop five two nine hundred pets is the number. Jefferson Vets dot com is the website.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So I'm at a website right now called ticketmaster dot com, and I'm looking for two tickets to tonight's exhibition. And I'm just going to pick section upper level, section three oh seven, and in section three oh seven I can purchase two tickets and they are fifty dollars a piece.
Speaker 2: Is that with fees or it before?
Speaker 3: Let me cook next, because I hate talking about attendance and whatnot, just because I feel like it's it's really a no. I mean, I guess a lot of things we talk about around here are no when, like you just you know, people are gonna disagree with you or agree with you whatever, it doesn't matter. But like I just I think I have such a different opinion on attendance than most And it's not because hey, mine is correct and I just can't entertain anybody who thinks differently.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 3: I don't want it to sound like that, but like I understand why people don't go to games. I don't think that that's U of L's fault. I don't think that makes them a bad fan. I just think it's it's how we have evolved over time as sports fans and how we choose to spend our money.
Speaker 2: You know. I think the days of like the internal.
Speaker 3: Mindset of a fan that like, I'm a really big fan, but if I don't go to every game, can I say I'm a really big fan like that? I think that used to be the way it went long, long, long ago, and over time, like now you can. I mean, that's just not the way it is anymore. And we have a twenty two thousand seed arena. There's not gonna be close to twenty two thousand people that want to pay to go see Louisville play Spaulding tonight. Like that's just not reality. Like, yeah, I'd love to see this place eighteen thousand plus, but like that's not real world and everybody knows that, and I think there are people that like want that to be a reality that it just not, but it's not going to be and it's really not anybody's fault.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 3: Would there be more fans there if they weren't coming off of two disastrous seasons? Absolutely, But I think even if they were coming off of a solid season, let's say, I don't know, let's say Chris mac was still here and they were, you know, a consistent second weekend team since he got here with one run to like the Elite eight, and you were playing Spaulding tonight, Yes, you'd have more people there than you probably are going to this evening, but it wouldn't be substantial. And also, here's another thing, Like I mean, what does it matter? Like again, I know that UFL always wants people to buy tickets and go to games, like and I hope people do.
Speaker 2: Like I'm never going to try to discourage.
Speaker 3: Somebody from going, but I just hate using this platform to like talk about there being an issue within the fan base that needs to be corrected because people aren't going to pay one hundred bucks plus parking, plus drinks plus whatever to go watch Louisville play Spaulding. Like it's just you know what I mean, Like, I just can't.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't relate to those that think this is some kind of an issue. Now again, the pricing is a problem. Now what I don't know, And I can't sign into my ticket master to see what it does for you real quick, John, Like when I go to click on you know, two tickets in section again, like so these are looks like these seats like standard all age tickets says fifty dollars plus fees, So I guess that does include the ticket. So two tickets to go see Louisville play Spaulding in the upper level but in not even like front row upper level. We're talking like mid level upper level with fees, it's a hud Bucks Like that's like.
Speaker 2: Again, that's insane. Who would do that?
Speaker 3: Like again, if you have the ability and you know it's expensive, but you're sacrificing so again, I've already made a mistake, which is why I don't It's why I don't like talking about this because I just said something that is mean, like who would pay that?
Speaker 2: Because again, like.
Speaker 3: People who have the money, people who think that's people spend their money whatever they want. I just know that for me, that'd be a tough ask to spend that, not including parking, not including one beer.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna drink more than one beer.
Speaker 3: If I'm going to a game with tickets, better make sure you've got plenty of bush light there. If I'm coming, my kid's gonna want nachos, right or the hot dog or something like Again, like it's that's a lot of money for someone like myself. I'm sure to some of you out there, you're thinking that's nothing.
Speaker 2: I especially since that on lunch today. If you're a family that's wanting to go to like one or two games a year and you know it's going to be that expensive, regardless, that's a no brainer. To not pick this.
Speaker 3: One, and like you can find a cheaper ticket with a different service that doesn't have as many fees added. Like I know there's many of them vivid seats, and I don't know how cheaper they are a ticpic, Like there's all kinds of these resale ticket apps out there.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: U of L is not Ticketmaster, but that's their ticket partner. I think, like when you go to when you go to Louisville's website and like try to purchase tickets from their website, I'm pretty sure it directs you directly to a ticketmaster, you know, ticketmaster link. So unfortunately, even though it's not really ul's fault, there's a lot of people that are just gonna put this on UFL. Look, I guess it is their fault. They have some level of control on what a ticket costs. But as far as like fees become a ticketmaster, that's just that awful company that is Ticketmaster.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as far as like.
Speaker 3: I mean again, you could find a cheaper ticket than what I just referenced. But still, like I get why people don't go to these kind of games, but I also get why as fans you wish it was crowded, And I get why u OFL is going to always do whatever they can to make money from people coming to games, and clearly this price point is what they have to do for it to be a financial for you know, for it to make financial sense for him. All Right, we got to well, no, we got this show's flying by. I thought it was about to be four o'clock. No, it's five o'clock. So we'll fit as strong here, One more hour to go On a Monday on Sports Talk seven ninety