Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: For the second time in as many attempts, Twitter blew it yesterday.
Speaker 4: The social media site was glitchy.
Speaker 3: A bunch of people couldn't listen to the interview that Elon Musk was doing with Donald Trump when he started about forty five minutes late. Elon Musk said there appeared to be a massive d doos attack on Twitter and working on shutting it down, and that they were going to proceed with the interview, but it started about forty five minutes late.
Speaker 4: It did go for about two hours.
Speaker 1: Protesters with the with an organization that I will not name AH took over the four oh five this morning in West LA terrible move, demanding a ceasefire in the Israel Hamas war colin to it arms embargo, so they shut it down just south of the ten. If you want to piss people off and get them further against you, shut down the four five. That'll really ingratiate you to the greater Los Angeles area.
Speaker 3: Moron, Oh, we have got to do the Gavenusom story which one the photographer.
Speaker 5: I do not know this story.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we'll do it later this hour and expand on it. But I will just say this. The office, the Governor's office is defending the hiring of a director of photography m A two hundred thousand dollars a year director of photography.
Speaker 5: Wow to the Governor's office. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: But if there's something that he likes, it's favorable lighting and good hair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So two former La County Sheriff's deputies and two former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation. It was a sham raid at this guy's home in Orange County five years ago. They demanded thirty seven million dollars and the rights to the man's business. So they've been a ragin this week on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under the color of law.
Speaker 5: All I pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 3: So these two sheriff's deputies and the two former soldiers from Australia and Great Britain go to this guy's house in June of twenty nineteen and they force him, his wife, and their two kids into a single room for several hours. They take their phones, and they threaten to deport him unless he complies with their demands.
Speaker 4: Now he's a legal permanent resident. Keep that in mind.
Speaker 5: They said.
Speaker 1: The man slammed the business guy against the wall, choked him. Fearing for his and his family's safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multi million dollar interest in a tech firm, a China based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Speaker 3: The money behind all of this, by the way, was his business partner, a Chinese woman, not indicted, but they said that all of this was her idea.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: I see, they had been fighting legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade.
Speaker 1: So she hired these guys as hit men, financial hit men, so to speak. Basically, now here's the problem. One of the men charged is a guy by the name of Stephen Langford. He retired from the La County Sheriff's Department in twenty twenty, but he was a pretty big deal in the Sheriff's department. Had his hands on a lot of big cases. And now all the people that he helped put Away get to raise their hands and say this.
Speaker 5: Guy is not above board, he is dirty.
Speaker 1: It's a Brady violation, and it puts all those cases in jeopardy, creates a lot more work for the current law enforcement structure that exists.
Speaker 3: So the first person Langford wasn't apparently the first person of this group. Glenn Cozart of Upland used to be a shriff's deputy. He was the one who was originally hired and then brought on Langford, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbot. That's a lot of names, thirty nine year old British citizen, former member of the British Military Prosecutors said that Turbot was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus rate. And then there was another guy, Matthew Hart, a forty one year old Australian citizen who's also been charged in this case. And if convicted, each of these guys could face up to twenty years in federal prison. And like you said, the repercussions of potentially the shriff's deputy having his hand in all of these all of these other cases that now are up.
Speaker 4: In the air. They're all being questioned.
Speaker 1: Right, And the law enforcement structure that exists now is a lot more flimsy than it was when he was handling cases. So it's good news for a lot of criminals. This DA doesn't do anything about pains.
Speaker 3: A reminder that next week we are going to be live in Chicago for the Democratic National Convention. It could be crazy, It could be absolutely bonkers, depending on how things go, both inside and outside the Convention Center. It's at the United Center. It's where the Chicago Bulls play, the Blackhawks play there too.
Speaker 1: We're set up right next to a magnificent Michael Jordan statue that I can't wait to climb.
Speaker 4: Probably not available for climbing.
Speaker 5: We'll see about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe it's one of those like let your kids run the bases at Dodger Stadium. Maybe there's a day at United Center where they're like, let your friend climb the Michael Jordan's.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I did notice that it was roped off, but I mean.
Speaker 3: I think there were actual glass walls. It wasn't just roped off.
Speaker 5: They were not glass walls. It was just a slight roping.
Speaker 1: And there's just like Jim Harbaugh taught me, I'll walk up right to that line and I'll cross it and then blast through whatever glass walls. Hey, if I get arrested, that's good for the show. If I get arrested, it's even better, because yeah, that's true. But if I got arrested for climbing on a Michael Jordan statue, the mileage we could get out of that, that is true. I mean I got caught with a sight or at Dodger Stadium, and I've brought it up seven hundred times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to get T shirts printed.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: So just so everybody knows, yes, we will be doing the show live from Chicago all week next week talking about what's going on in the convention. We'll be talking about our opinions of what's going on at the convention, et cetera. And we wanted to go to the Republican Convention. We wanted to. The financials didn't work out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the sales department didn't get it zact together.
Speaker 4: There wasn't anybody on this floor.
Speaker 5: I know that we will nobody on this floor.
Speaker 4: We wanted to go. So we are going to get to go to Chicago.
Speaker 3: So we hope that you would tune in, and of course you can follow us on social media at Gary and Shannon. We'll be posting videos, We'll be posting our experiences. We know there are going to be massive protests that are already planned, and those are the planned ones that.
Speaker 4: We know about. We could see some some other things go down.
Speaker 5: I can't believe that's next week.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we got a lot, because what's going on all right at this A lot of this up next.
Speaker 4: Why Laguna Beach thinks tourism is destructive.
Speaker 5: Because they're Laguna Beach. They get to live there.
Speaker 1: Something to be said about living somewhere people want to visit and knowing that and being grateful that you're in that spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, you get to sleep there every single night.
Speaker 6: Can you guys, please please please stop with the commercials with the doorbell I work from home and it drives my dogs crazy, which drives me crazy. Please don't make me change stations. I love you guys, but no more commercials with doorbells. Please, very very frustrating.
Speaker 5: There's this station that I listen.
Speaker 3: Do you want to go for a walk? You want to go for a walk? Oh no, oh, let's go for a walk. No w A l K, let's go for a walk. Stop it, you're horrible. That's worse than saying mamesa. My dog's probably freaking out right now too.
Speaker 5: Your dog's not listening to this show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, is the r one.
Speaker 1: But like, a certain annoying ad can really make you stop listening to a particular station.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, there's a station that I listen to from time to time, and it's got the most annoying, disgusting ad on it, and it's about a woman and she's talking about her husband's yellow, crusty toes and it's disgusting and it plays all the time, and it makes me never want to listen to that station.
Speaker 3: I'm awful. And the thing is, I don't even know. I don't know the commercial that she's talking about. I don't know the one that's got right either.
Speaker 1: But I feel bad about it because I understand how that can happen.
Speaker 3: Laguna Beach c's about six million tourists a year, but residents who live there say the challenges that these tourists bring have begun to outweigh the benefits, mostly because people don't pay attention to the rules at the beach. People wading into the water and the tide pools when they're not supposed to. Laguna officials have gone to the city council over and over again and urged officials to do something to address the challenges brought on by these tourists. And one of the things they have said is, hey, just start issuing tickets for what is already illegal, which is smoking. You can't drink in public, you can't litter, you can't bring a pop up tent that's more than six feet wide. All of those things they said, if you were able to crack down on it would make a big difference in terms of.
Speaker 4: In terms of just the likeability. Perhaps.
Speaker 3: Other people said that the influx of visitors also taxing resources, because lifeguards have had to pull twenty two hundred people from the water over the Fourth of July weekend and since Memorial Day. Ocean rescues are up four hundred percent since last year.
Speaker 1: I love the way it's written in the La Times. From the exclusive Montage resort, where an ocean view room costs upwards of one thousand dollars per night, a colony of seagulls battled over a costco retisserie Chicken carcass, like, if that's if that's your plight, is a Costco, how how dare I have to look at a five dollars still five dollars?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 1: How dare I have to look at the carcass of a five dollars meal when I am paying one thousand dollars a night at the Montage? Ridiculous. I don't feel bad for you. I just don't well.
Speaker 2: And what is the.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's the what's the downside?
Speaker 3: The upside they're hoping would be more maybe tax revenue or ticket revenue than which that would be coming in. And then the downside is you get to live in one of the most beautiful places in a beautiful rich.
Speaker 1: People that complaining about the pores coming in in the summer and eating their five dollars chicken, they don't.
Speaker 5: Want to be They don't have to see the pores.
Speaker 2: That it's not that.
Speaker 7: Is that just assured me that I called.
Speaker 5: Wait, why did you play?
Speaker 1: That just assured me that.
Speaker 6: I call it speak and saw the.
Speaker 3: Cow because of your succulent Costco rotisserie chicken.
Speaker 5: Ah, my succulent Costco chicken.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They have formed a committee dedicated to addressing visitor issues there in Laguna, They've launched an ad campaign on Google to target misbehaving tourists. These ads are going to run for the rest of the summer and talk about the common complaints, the litter of the cigarette smoke and the loud vehicle exhaust So my mother now lives in Laguna.
Speaker 4: Apparently she's the one I joke.
Speaker 5: Dixie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she doesn't live anymore. She's a hundred would have been one hundred and three right now, Dixie three.
Speaker 4: She's born in twenty one.
Speaker 5: I love that name so much. I'm so sad I never got to meet her.
Speaker 3: And what a what a just a weird thing that she was Nate, Uh, what do you call it? She was married to a guy named dick her Son, right, Yeah, Dixie and Dickerson. That's some rifleman stuff.
Speaker 4: That's they were very riflemen people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I know, I.
Speaker 1: Can profile correctly. Do you have a good story to tell us about?
Speaker 3: Not only do we have a good story, it's about an old dog.
Speaker 5: What's the dog's name.
Speaker 4: The old dog's name is.
Speaker 5: Good Boy Ivy.
Speaker 4: I don't know, is it Ivy?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll go with that. Ivy.
Speaker 1: Are we going to have good news, good dog news, story music.
Speaker 4: We might.
Speaker 3: We might also have to get into your We might also have to get into your arrest.
Speaker 4: Well, no, your meat is American. Get over at Shannon. You don't need meat.
Speaker 1: Garbonzo beans are great, by the way, I know, get off the meat.
Speaker 5: I'm not getting off the meat, all right, Jacob, you know what to do with that, right?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: I mean I think garbonzo beans are great.
Speaker 4: Garbon I've one of my favorite beans.
Speaker 5: But I'm not gonna just eat them.
Speaker 4: That's silly.
Speaker 5: That's just silly.
Speaker 2: I've done that.
Speaker 5: I'm Canadian. I can I can explain to you what I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I need an explanation, Debra, how do you eat garbonzo beans?
Speaker 5: What I'm saying is you can? You know you can? You could put that creative with some rice, with some black beans. Is that a farting sound?
Speaker 1: No, us, come on it. We're much more grown up, right. Actually, the boss told me, Debra yesterday. She brought me into her office and she said, I need you to grow up.
Speaker 2: Really hysterical.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A member of the squad elon Omar congresswoman out of Wisconsin, trying to avoid Minnesota, Minnesota, trying to avoid the fate of a couple of her closest allies. They're holding a primary election today. She's defending her a fifth district seat against a repeat challenge from former Minneapolis City council member Don Samuels, happens to be a much more centrist Democrat, whom she narrowly defeated just a couple of years ago. Tropical Storm Ernesto expected to lash the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, other parts of the Caribbean today.
Speaker 4: That storm could reach hurricane strength later this week.
Speaker 1: Hey, we do have to get into this Gavin Newsome story coming up next, the one you alerted me to the fact that he has hired a official photographer who is going to make more than the Secretary of State.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a lot of photo editing.
Speaker 3: I assume of Gavin Newsom, we'd make him look smart and strong and tough.
Speaker 4: Guy. M tough guy, dude.
Speaker 6: I just had to chime in about Laguna Beach.
Speaker 2: I have a couple of clients that live there that I got to deal with, which means I gotta go there.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 2: Laguna sucks. It's full of Karen's no parking.
Speaker 6: It's just nonsense. Man.
Speaker 2: Other than the view, Laguna Beach is not even worth going to.
Speaker 5: Getting in there too is always a hassle.
Speaker 2: That's great, Hey guys.
Speaker 8: Gary from Santa Crita just wondering if Deborah and Shannon's lap was because the boss pulled her in and told her to grow up, or because they realized that she probably wouldn't grow up. Have a good one, see.
Speaker 5: Yea, probably both a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: A good news story to tell you about a kayaker on a cross country trip through Canada creeks and rivers, ticks a brief detour to rescue a man's dog that had been trapped under a log.
Speaker 5: I got the wrong one.
Speaker 4: I was gonna, God, I'm an idiot.
Speaker 5: That's for off the air.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it didn't look like the right one, but I was gonna let you determine that.
Speaker 5: Why do you let me order things without help?
Speaker 3: You've never asked me for help ordering things, and you've always you've always screwed it up. Tied eyed sweatshirt is all I have to say. It's all I gotta say. Yeah, you wore at one time new Zealander.
Speaker 2: Tom Hudson was canoeing solo on the Saskatchewan River just outside the Paw when he found himself on a side quest.
Speaker 7: Okay, he doesn't look okay, And that's where I saw saw a dog stuck.
Speaker 4: I could just hear a boxing. I actually passed to and then then turned.
Speaker 7: Around and when I faintly heard the heard the bucking and churning around and went back to investigate.
Speaker 2: He struck Tom, who had been canoeing across Canada for two months.
Speaker 4: Now, by the way, this is small town Canada television.
Speaker 2: He knew he had to do something when.
Speaker 7: I found out she had a log was actually on top of the back half of her. They made sure we stayed there for a few minutes first, just to make sure she wasn't injured or spinal injuries or anything.
Speaker 2: Tom was able to bring the large white dog onto his canoe. Then they had to find its home.
Speaker 3: Now listen, he was flying to BC from his home in New Zealand, across Canada as far as Manitoba near the pause, as you heard the reporter say, when he heard this barking, decided to take a detour to investigate. Ivy is the name of this fourteen year old Great Pyrenees who was lost. The owner had been looking for her all day the previous day, but there was heavy brush that prevented him from seeing or hearing her. She was stuck just a quarter a mile away from home. And again she was stuck somehow under a log. So under a law, yeah, Tom ties up his canoe. He lifts the log off of her back. He carries her through knee deep mud and attempts to position her very comfortably on the canoe because again he wasn't certain at the time that she was okay, you know, may have been this spinal injury. She had never been afloat before, said Tom. So Tom snapped a pretty self explanatory photo of the first impressions. He paddles about four hundred yards downstream. He finds a dock, and he puts Ivy down on the dock and goes to ring a nearby doorbell, hoping, hey, whoever answers the door may have an idea at least who the dog is. So the owner, whose name is also Tom, says, she's a pretty lucky old dog that came when that He came by when he did because he could have went the other way, on the other side of the river, and he never would have seen her.
Speaker 4: I probably would have never found her. He said.
Speaker 3: It was funny because the New Zealand accent was startling to him. Even though he's Canadian, he probably has his own accent. Tom stuck around. Tom the kayaker stuck around to help wash the dog off, after which Tom the dog owner invited him to eat with.
Speaker 1: His fanis I was just going to say, is this going to be one of those stories where they have Thanksgiving together for the next twenty five years?
Speaker 4: Could be?
Speaker 3: This is where it gets really sad though, Oh no, well, I mean no, it's an overall the dog gonna die? No, no, no, dog's fine. Dog's fine. But he said, being hundreds of meters from home, probably able to hear your owner, probably able to smell your owner. I just thought it would have been a terrible way for Ivy to go.
Speaker 5: Wow when you put it like that.
Speaker 3: So, he says, So there was no way I could not have done what I did. He does say he plans to return next spring to finish the voyage. He told the CBC that he left with a feeling that all the world's kind people were located in Canada, endeuring the nation him as much as the wilderness and wildlife as he had seen along his route.
Speaker 4: Where As they say in Canada, his rote.
Speaker 2: Turns out the dog is Ivy, a fourteen year old Great Pyrenees. This reporter says her owner had been looking for her for several days. Her owners fed her and gave her a thorough bath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very bath.
Speaker 1: Very Everyone has a commercial that that bothers them.
Speaker 4: I think I think everybody's got one.
Speaker 1: The one for me from the one for me on this station is the is the singing of the diarrhea we have we've gone through at least I think two or three, right, Jacob, Different different jingles that involve diarrhea on this on this station should two or three. It's a word that should. You should not want to say sing Why are we singing diarrhea?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 5: Unless it's Steve Martin, I don't want.
Speaker 4: To hear it. And Gary, this is Mandy from Yukaipa. I would be so incredibly sad if you grew up.
Speaker 6: Shannon.
Speaker 4: You are the highlight of my morning at my pooring job.
Speaker 6: So you guys just keep on doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Love your show.
Speaker 5: Thank you, that was nice. Funny dea, where did you find that?
Speaker 3: Jacob?
Speaker 1: How do you keep everything but dia? Okay, stop it, it's a order of audio. It's funny though. He takes nice pictures of Steve Gregory. Oh yeah, glamor La glam shots.
Speaker 3: It's like, it's like, Jacob is Steve's two hundred thousand dollars a year photographer.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what Jacob is.
Speaker 4: How much are you making doing that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Not enough.
Speaker 3: California Governor Gavin Newsom's office has added a two hundred thousand dollars a year director of photography to his office.
Speaker 1: That is uh, that's right in line with him getting caught at French laundry during the COVID shutdown complete. It wasn't just the fact that he was out eating when he told us that we can't go out to eat, but it was the fact that he was at a place that charges upwards of seven hundred dollars with the wine pairings for one person to have dinner. Right, I mean, it's just egregious head in the sand, tone deaf about how real people live in this state behavior.
Speaker 3: The retired photojournalist, a guy named Charles o'mani is now being paid to capture Gavin Newsom's pictures in wildfire zones under the one eighteen Freeway when he's cleaning up homeless encampments. And this guy is a pretty well known photographer. A list of prominent politicians that he's worked with before, including former Presidents Obama and Bush. His LinkedIn page shows that he was a photojournalist for Newsweek. He's been published by prominent magazines like Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, the Governor's office, and again it's that same vein of tone deafness. The Governor's office issued a statement that says, unlike nearly all of his predecessors and gubernatorial counterparts, the real story here is that Governor Newsome did not have a dedicated photographer for over five years. We're thrilled that changed when Charles joined our team.
Speaker 1: Who needs a Charles this day and age where everyone can be a photographer with our iPhones, I we can all take decent pictures of other people, right, nobody takes decent pictures of us, But we could, you know, I mean they said that plenty of other governors have dedicated photographers, But I bet those other governor's photographers are not making close to two hundred thousand dollars. Yeah, you could pay an intern to take your picture, to vollow you around and take your picture.
Speaker 3: Rattis Doug Elmets is a Republican strategist who says this, It just doesn't make any sense. The photographer could be hired as a contractor to a newsome campaign position, and then you wouldn't have all the questions raised about taxpayer dollars, because if you hire somebody for two hundred thousand dollars a year, given that the state is has a seventy three billion dollar deficit right now, this is another one of those tone deaf, complete unforced errors that he has put himself in. By the way, the photographer makes two hundred thousand dollars a year, do you know how much the governor makes in the state of California two hundred change two thirty? Yeah, he hot. Now, I don't know if that means that this guy is clearly he's a Pulitzer.
Speaker 4: Not a Pulitzer. He is an award winning.
Speaker 1: Sandra Dale O'Connor Henry Kissinger are some of the portraits featured on his Instagram. Very artful, very lot of black and Whites, George wo and the great Gavin Newsom right up there with Henry Kissinger and Sandra Dee O'Connor.
Speaker 3: I just it blows me away that there is no sense of normalcy. And listen and listen. This is why people make fun of California. This is why. Yes, if you live in Missouri, you think, why would anybody want a picture of the governor? And you have to explain to them, well, we come from the capital of narcissism, and we have a king of narcissism who lives in Sacramento, and he's gonna want this photographer again if he wants pictures of himself.
Speaker 4: I don't blame him, I don't fault him for that.
Speaker 3: But the idea that a tax payer two hundred thousand dollars salary.
Speaker 5: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: You're gonna in one week cry out for people that work in restaurants to make twenty dollars an hour because they're having such a hard time putting food on the table, keeping the lights on right. But at the same time, you are going so you're going to pretend to know how people are living or struggling, and at the same time, in the next week, you're going to hire a photographer for two hundred thousand dollars a year?
Speaker 5: How many pictures I got taking? What do you it? Just that that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's only taking a couple of day, but it takes a lot of photoshopping. I don't know. I don't know, editing after the after the I don't know. But are you just paying for the name? Like he's not doing a whole He's not, you know, digging ditches out there as far as photographer world goes, But you're paying for the name.
Speaker 5: I think you are paying for the name, which makes it even worse.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: A reminder, next week, we're going to be live at the Democratic Nation Convention all week doing the show live from the right there on the outskirts the concourse around United Center, the all of the candidates, a bunch of different politicians, political hacks, and a bunch of people are going to be walking around and as we did eight years ago, we're going to be interviewing everybody.
Speaker 1: We actually have a pretty impressive stage. Yeah, shall we say it's bigger. It's bigger than all the other stages.
Speaker 3: I would say most people would say that it's the most impressive, the best. Yeah, yeah, I'm not saying that, but most people.
Speaker 1: So I think we'll be able to get great guests because of our beautiful I will admit our beautiful stage.
Speaker 3: Our beautiful stage is going to make me repack. Not that I've packed, but I'm saying.
Speaker 1: If you could, if you could not just wear shorts and flip flops and dirty stained undershirts, that would be cool.
Speaker 3: And it's we're going to be in air conditioning, so I can wear like a long sleeve shirt and not be uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: That would be nice. A couple of colored shirts, maybe a jacket. Okay, all right, let's try not to look homeless.
Speaker 4: Not this time. Not this time. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app