Speaker 1: Initialize sequence.
Speaker 2: Coming to you live from Houston, Texas, home to the world's largest medical center.
Speaker 3: In the bunch of days. On the day we're leave Dremont.
Speaker 1: Island, right Coty.
Speaker 2: This is Your Health First, the most beneficial health program on radio with doctor Joe Galotti.
Speaker 3: During the next.
Speaker 2: Hour you'll learn about health, wellness and the prevention of disease. Now here's your host, doctor Joe Bellotti.
Speaker 1: Well, a good Sunday evening to everybody, doctor Joe Galotti. If it's Sunday evening at seven pm Central time, of course I want all of you listening to your Health First. We hear every Sunday evening, and our single mind the goal is to make you better consumers of healthcare, period, end of story. That is our sole mission. We've been on the air for twenty two years every Sunday, and we'll be getting into some other items here a little bit later in the program. But I always have looked at the value of a program like this as educating the public. We're not selling anything. We're not trying to have you do anything out of the ordinary other than arm you with information you could use to take care of yourselves, yourself, your family, your best friends, your co workers, your community. So that is what we're all about. Your health first. Our website doctor Jogalotti dot com, Doctor Joegalotti dot com. And I would say say, if you wanted to find out about us, that is the place to go. There's a link to Soner for our weekly newsletter, send me a message. All of our social media is posted there, doctor Joegalotti dot com. Now on the program tonight one of my favorite experts, doctor Mike Wilson. He is a cardiologist here in the Texas Medical Center. I actually think Mike, and I'll have to ask him. I think Mike dabbled in radio in college. That that fact sort of sits in the back of my head. And so he's got a great, great radio presence. He speaks clearly, he's knowledgeable, and he's able to explain complicated things. That's what that's what this program was all about. We don't want to throw a bunch of doctor talk at you. Just keep it simple and actionable things that we can share with you tonight. You should be able to who put into play immediately. So the election is over, my goodness, now not getting into the politics. You love Trump, you don't like them you voted for him, you didn't vote for him. Etc. But one of the themes that came out of the campaign, and it really was once RFK Junior joined in and became part of the campaign, was this slogan of make America healthy again, Make America healthy again. I would say, as simple as that is. Now, some of you may think it's a little bit corny. For years we've been hearing make America great again, make America safe again, make America prosperous again. Now we have make America healthy again. But I do believe and serely that we have a great opportunity to keep pushing this narrative forward because we have to. We absolutely have to commit ourselves to making America healthy because really there's a lot of unhealthiness that I see every day that doctor Wilson sees every day, all of my colleagues in the Texas Medical Center, doctors across the country, and I'd say, sadly a lot have thrown their arms up to say, yeah, everybody out there is too damn unhealthy. I can't fix it myself, so let's just kick the can down the road. But that's not what we're going to do. So second, next segment. After we get done here, I'll be giving a little bit of an intro of what I think make America healthy is, and then doctor Wilson will be joining me just a little bit later on. But don't forget go to doctor Joeglotti dot com. All right, So today I went on a field trip with my wife. We went to Trader Joe's. Now, I have always liked Trader Joe's going to shop there. I think they have a good selection of vegetables, fruit, some select items that we like to get. But for some reason, it was sort of at about twelve one o'clock today, the store was absolutely mobbed. And I when it was that crowded, I had a chance to sort of look at what other people were buying. And I've said this before in the radio. I do some of my best research at the grocery store. You get to check out what everybody is buying. It's my consumer research in a sense. And the most crowded aisle was the processed food. Well, all of these frozen meals, frozen pizza, frozen lasagna. And while Trader Joe's has this sense that it is maybe a little better quality, it is exactly the same it is a highly processed meal, high in fat, sugar, and salt, and responsible for all of the obesity and chronic disease that we're seeing now. For me, when I go to Trader Joe's, the majority of things that I buy were my family buys frozen fruit, frozen vegetables. We buy some canned goods there that are not very processed at all. We'll get some dairy products there. But when you really really take a look, and it really dawned on me and my wife today that there are a lot of candy, sweets, chips, frozen dinners, And again they're laid out from a marketing standpoint, very very well with these end caps. The end caps are the displays that aren't on the end of the aisle that they want to lure you in and buy stuff that you have no intention of buying, but your hand just gravitates and pulls it in and you buy it. But a lot of it is cheap, highly flavored foods that you're tempted to buy. And when you go shopping to a place like Trader Joe's or any supermarket, you have to have a strategy. All Right, We're going to take a break, Doctor Joe Galotti. This is your health First. Stay tuned. We will be right back every Sunday between seven and eight pm. I'm doctor Joe Galotti. You should be tuned in your health first. And our website is doctor Joegalotti dot com. Sign up for our newsletter. All of our social media is there. You get send me a message. This is a two way street, says contact us. Pull it up, send me a message, hit send, I get it, and we'll communicate back with you. Coming up in just a short bit, doctor Mike Wilson will be joining us a cardiologist here in the Texas Medical Center. He and I are going to get a little bit more in depth on this whole notion of make America healthy again. And I firmly believe that for those of us that are in healthcare, those of us that truly want to prevent disease. See the missing link here is in many cases, we're good at fixing stuff that's broken. Okay, how do we seriously, in a big, big way, prevent things your body from falling apart in us having to patch it together with glue, band aids, tape, duct tape. All right, we have the wrong mentality here, and so by educating the public, having them understand what their risk factors are. Early warning signs you get in early, okay, and I you know, you know, we don't have a check engine light on our body, but if we did, a lot of people would be walking around with a red light on their forehead saying that there's something wrong. You need to go and get checked out. Now, with this whole make America Healthy again idea, why is it that we are so unhealthy? Why do we why do we even have to talk about this? Well, there are all kinds of I don't want to say theories, but reasons why our population has become so unhealthy. Is it just related to the food? Well, I do believe that a large portion of the problems we're seeing are indeed related to what we're eating or not eating. All right, now, again, looking at Trader Joe's, and I like Trader Joe's, but it was like a feeding frenzy in that frozen aisle. People were going for all kinds of frozen crap and that was their dinner. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and Sunday. They're going to a restaurant. They're not cooking the fresh fruits and vegetables. It's not portion controlled, it's not low in salt, it's not high in fiber. So the food is an issue. The second thing is lack of exercise. People are not walking around the way they used to, especially in Houston or other big metropolitan cities. We drive around everywhere. The thought of walking just doesn't even cross our mind. When I travel to other cities and you realize, A, the people are thin. B you got to walk everywhere, and just being in a city at a meeting, I'm putting on twelve thirteen thousand steps. In Europe, forget about it. Everybody's walking everywhere. I do think that stress, we are stressing ourselves out part of it. There is a basis for it. Other would just worrying about stuff that doesn't need to be worried about. And we have basically taken our eye off the ball, meaning we're not really paying attention to symptoms. Everybody I see in not everybody should. That's a broad statement. A lot of my patients they are chronically fatigued, and they are accepting of it. They get home from work, they fall asleep. I get some of my best work done after I get home after twelve fourteen hours I come home, I will still exercise even if it's in the early evening because I have to to stay healthy. I don't want to get chronically ill. And the bigger question, which I'll get around to doctor Wilson, what do we have to do to get back on track and how long will it take? Now? With RFK Junior, and again he at times has been controversial on some items. I think we're going to have to really listen to if he's given some sort of a platform in the administration, what does he say. But when you look at the numbers, the numbers are staggering as far as the amount of chronic disease. If you look at the numbers for the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around one hundred and twenty nine million Americans are living with at least one chronic disease such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, or fatty lever. Chronic conditions account for five of the top ten leading causes of death. So this is not a benign problem. Key thing, vast majority of these can be prevented with lifestyle modification. Lifestyle choices which is what do we eat, how much will we x, what time do we go to bed, do we drink too much alcohol? We're taking too many pills prescription or not prescription. And these numbers over the past twenty years just continue to increase, and so there's no no end in sight. These numbers are going to continue. And my biggest concern, and if you have children or grandchildren, here's the guilt trip. When you see your grandchildren next time, you could look at them and essentially say you are not going to live as long as mom or dad because they're going to be afflicted with chronic disease decades earlier. And the sad thing is, so I practice live a disease. That is my day job, if you want to say. And so, we have fifteen, sixteen, seventeen year old kids I'll call them kids coming in with abnormal liver chemistries. Their blood work is abnormal, they have an ultrasound that shows a fatty liver, and we investigate it further and we find out that they are on the verge of developing soorrosis. And he said, oh wait a second, doctor Galotti, cirrhosis is only in alcoholics alcohol use disorder, well alcohol only accounts for about forty nine percent of all the cirrhosis we see. The other fifty percent or fifty one if you're really listening, is due to things like hepatitis B, hepatitis C, autoimmune disease. But fatty liver is a major major cause of chronic liver disease. So now you've got an eighteen year old that either is on the verge of sorosis or does have cirrhosis, and it may be too late to turn around. And this is unrelated to alcohol or drug use. This is related to what you ate. And now these people they graduate high school, they want to get into the workforce, they want to go to college, and they're chronically ill. They have a lot of symptoms, they're on medications. Medications give you maybe side effects. You have appointments with one doctor after another. So instead of strategizing on your school work, your career, your occupation, the skills that you're going to develop, you're spending time in the office with me or doctor Wilson or any other physician around the country on medicine's side effect. So it is it. And look, I'm not here to paint a bleak picture and have you all get depressed and tune off the radio. Is that this is a wake up call, to energize you to say, Okay, enough is enough. This is the wake up call. And my sense is that if what the administration does or can do, if it is executed properly, make America healthy again, this could be an amazing wake up call that can transform the United States. And I do mean that now. I came across earlier today a video on President Kennedy in nineteen sixty two, and what I'll do. I'll probably post it, but it may take time to get posted up. But one of the things he said, a country is as strong as its citizens. And I think that mental and physical vigor go hand in hand. So back in nineteen sixty two, when we didn't have have these problems, he nailed it. A strong and healthy citizenship means a strong, healthy country. We'll leave it at that. Doctor Mike Wilson is coming up after news, weather and traffic. I'm doctor Joe Glotti. Stay tuned, we will be right back. Welcome back, everybody, Doctor Joe Galotti. And tomorrow you should all know this. It is Veterans Day and we'd like to say thank you to all of the veterans that have served to make our country great. And you know, it's funny. My father was a World War Two veteran and actually in a couple of weeks he's he died a couple of years ago, but he's going to be celebrating in heaven. I guess his one hundredth birthday, and all the years that it would be Veterans Day or fourth of July, i'd play this patriarch music and he would get such a kick out of it, as do I. We're all kids at heart. But thank you again to all of our veterans, and our hats off to you, and thank you for your service that we so preciously need. All right, well, doctor Joeglotti dot com is our website. Let us get doctor Mike Wilson on the line. Mike, carry you tonight.
Speaker 3: Wonderful. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely. Now, at the beginning of the program, I don't know if you heard this, but I had thought years ago you had said that in college you dabbled in college radio. Is that true?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it was a little I was a little bit younger, but yes, I was a disc jockey for a country music station. How old?
Speaker 1: How old were you at that time?
Speaker 3: I was from the time I was fifteen until I was eighteen?
Speaker 1: Wow, Like, did you have an on air handle or name or did you just go as Mike? This is Mike Wilson on the air.
Speaker 3: I've mostly stayed nameless. They kept a pretty firm handle on me.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we love having you on. You always do such a great job. And you know, for those for those that are new to the program or old to the program, I love to tune in every Sunday evening. The whole goal here is to have experts and guests that I bring on that can speak common sense, common language. And I'd have to think that, Mike, you're one of the best we have. So thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So, uh, make America healthy again. Now we'll get into the heart disease part and you know where you get your hands dirty. But what is your take on this? We could call it a slogan, but I really would like to think that we do have an opportunity to raise awareness to make the country healthy. What what is your take with all of the years and all that you've seen, explain to us where you know really what you're thinking.
Speaker 3: I think you really hit the nail on the head with your opening segment and discussing much of what you found in Trader Joe's. And as you said, you find a lot of material for your show by walking through the grocery store.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, I worked briefly with a guy who did some studies with adolescents and with long term health with the Bogaloosa Heart Study in South Louisiana, and one of their discoveries that was, if you'll pardon the pun, very disheartening, was that our trend towards ill health actually begins when you're twelve, thirteen, fourteen years old. That excess body weights started then, and the habits started then. Even high blood pressure, not the kind you and I treat, but high for that age range, was already appearing in adolescence. Right. And what we need to get back to is the education and giving a good example to our children. Eating right, exercising, doing the very simple things right pay off in a long term.
Speaker 1: Right now, my goal here is not to make this a political statement. As I was saying earlier, it's make America great again, make America safe again, make America healthy again. But if you could, just like off the off the top of your head here, give a grade from A to F on the general state of health of our country. Now again, we're a little bit skewed. We're in the Texas Medical Center. We tend to see the sick of the sick, and so you know, we don't see really healthy people. But you're gestaled on this. Where do you think we're really at?
Speaker 3: You know, I would put us at about a C minus.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I would say.
Speaker 3: You know, there is there are the acquired illnesses that nature has waiting out there for us. And there are a lot of places on Earth that are suffering or great deal from those type of illnesses, from malnutrition, malaria, all kinds of awful illnesses. They're in a much worse way. Where we're suffering is really from the opposite, from excess and.
Speaker 1: Sloth, right, sloppy. I mean, it's the truth.
Speaker 3: And we're going to we're living healthy through many of our productive years, but where we're going to pay the price is in longevity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, you know the type of patients you see in the cardiovascular realm are very similar to the ones that I see on the liver front, and my patients when I see them, some of them or many of them are later fifties, early sixties, and retirement is sort of just around the corner. They're starting to project what they want to do, and it is everything from just you know, go fishing every afternoon, to travel with their grandchildren or pick up a new hobby. And I have to look at them and say, you know you're here with me now because you have a serious, potentially life threatening disease that may, if it does not kill you prematurely, you're going to be severely disabled in a sense. And what do you see and how do you articulate that to everybody tonight on the radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're absolutely right. And what I'm seeing more and more of, along with the excess body weight obesity, is a type of heart disease that I think the best term for it is called failed aging. It is a heart that has gone through life without being challenged, without being exercised, without being work and it's then adapted to its workload so that as age comes or as other illness comes, the heart can't really help and becomes an impediment. So many people develop a form of heart disease that we're labeling heart failure that is severely limiting and very difficult to treat and not something that you can really undo later.
Speaker 1: Right, And it really is, in a sense a disease of neglect, people not checking in on things until the hubcaps, the wheels start falling off, and then you say, oh gee, I have to go see doctor Wilson now, right, Yeah, all right, Well what we're gonna do, Mike, We're going to take a quick break. I'm with doctor Mike Wilson. For those that want to learn more about doctor Wilson in his practice. Euston MDS dot org is the website. I'm doctor Joeglotti. Stay tuned. Final segment coming up in a minute final segment of this week's Your Health First, Doctor Joe Galotti our website Doctor Joglotti dot com. We are talking about make America healthy again, and I think we've got a lot of work to do. Him on with doctor Mike Wilson. Mike, you know a lot of doctors by yeah, I don't want to say by experience, they they tend to be a bit a political. I don't think I saw anybody around the hospital wearing a button on any candidate which way or the other. But you know, I I you know, after uh Donald Trump won with such huge margins the other day, I really started to think about this to say, if there is the quote unquote mandate that you know, maybe this little little piece of the puzzle here could get pushed through and and pick up some steam. What what do you think?
Speaker 3: I sure, I certainly hope. So it's it's uh uh many many initiatives like this, uh false for just a variety of reasons. But I don't know if you remember so many years ago when the government decided they were going to try to help us out with our diet, and they came up with this whole food group business. Many of the nutritionists when you mentioned that, their hair stands straight up right. But the initiative has stuck around. It had a great deal of impact. And if the initiative has no more impact, then to get people to pay a little closer attention to their diet like you were talking about with processed foods, and to get out and take a walk for twenty minutes every day, it's going to have a big impact.
Speaker 1: No, for sure. And you know what I see every day and I'm sure you and many of our colleagues in the medical center see this and other big centers around the country. We get patients that are late. Now, I look at that as a symptom. You have to look upstream to say, how how is it that somebody was referred late? They they're late, They're late to the game. Okay, they're showing up in the bottom of the ninth instead of showing up in the first or second inning. And is it a problem with the system? Is it a problem with their primary care physician ors whoever is taking care of them, or is it a is the responsibility on the individual to say, look, man, you've got to take some responsibility. You're not feeling good, You're short of breath, you've got chest pain, you have palpitations. Why are you waiting till it's critical? And you have to call nine to one one? And you know when you're taking a history and you're like, oh, yeah, you know, I've had these palpitations for years. What do you see in your real world, everyday practice.
Speaker 3: It's a fantastic question. And I think a major part of the problem is some of these things are so difficult to tease out from some of the common symptoms that you and I feel every day, and especially in someone who's very overweight or obese, it is exceptionally difficult to determine whether part of the limitation is simply the excess body weight, or whether the excess body weight has started to turn into a disease state with formed heart failure or with the liver with a fatty liver. That on us is going to be on the patient and doing the simple things and maintaining your health and maintaining your body weight. But where we go on the other side is the screening tools that we really need to have interness and general practitioners aware of. With with a heart, we can tell a great deal by echo. Now that's almost as good, if not better sometimes than hard caathorization, okay, or or as you're as you're saying so much of now, I think liver disease has just skyrocketed, right, and ultrasound there can be extraordinarily.
Speaker 1: Useful exactly, And you know, I think, uh, you're you're on our speed dial. Where we see patients that come in with abnormal liver chemistries, their lab work is abnormal, they've been told they have fanny liver and nobody really raises it to any concern to you know, sit them down to say, look, if we do not address this in the next few years, you could be in much more serious state. And when they don't hear that, they go home to their family and they say, well, but the doctor say, well, it's not that bad. Did you get a new prescription? Now I didn't get a prescription. Did he do any extra test? No, you didn't do any extra tests. Well, then I guess it's sort of okay. And and you know, the can, the can get kicks down the road until they show up and you know the dirty little secret, which you're well aware of. Most of these people with fatty liver die have cardiovascular disease and that's not you know, a good situation. So I would say to let you share your heart disease wisdom with the audience. Now, first, symptoms that that need to not so much panic and hopefully nobody has to call nine to one one during this program, But the symptoms that they should really be familiar with. What what are they? How? How would you list this off?
Speaker 3: I say that the single most important thing to be aware of is that many people have the misconception that when i'm my heart gets into try, I'm going to feel chest pain. The vast majority of people that run into difficulties with corner ritory disease or blockage don't describe what they felt as pain, right, and many will sit home thinking, well, it's not hurting, so that the sensation is a discomfort or an awareness that something is badly amiss. Right, You're unable to carry out activities that you should normally do without being unduly fatigued or breathless, and you feel an odd sensation that's uncomfortable beneath the sternum, the shoulders, in the neck or the jaws. And if you're doing something and you get the sensation that makes you want to stop, and that sensation goes away, it's time to call for help.
Speaker 1: Right, I would agree, Where would you throw in shortness of breath with, you know, either walking or going upstairs, carrying a suitcase at the airport, compared to that sort of just general discomfort, Just hey, I'm just sure to breath all of a sudden, and people will say I'm overweighted, and you know, whatever the case may be, they make up all kinds of excuses.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's where the daily physical activity is very useful because what I ask I usually go through daily activities with people to find out where their limitation is right. And the point is, do you become breathless with activities that you're normally capable of doing comfortably? And if the answer is yes, it's time to find out why.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And a bigger part of this is really people being in sync with their body understanding, Hey, in the past, I've been able to do this, or I never had these symptoms. Now it's very subtle, and there's that wake up call to say, something is amiss. I need to check in, right.
Speaker 3: Can't walk up that flight of stairs, you know. That's that's one of the things that if you're not exercising, if you're not engaging in physical activity, a lot of times you don't get the warning until, like you were pointing out earlier, you're way late in the.
Speaker 1: Game, exactly exactly. We don't like any of these nice inning cases.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So in the last minute or so here, doctor Mike Wilson, let's say that I've got the hotline after January to the White House, and President Trump is on the line. JFK. Junior is on the line, what do you tell them with regard to make America healthy again.
Speaker 3: I'd say, let's let's put that emphasis on America's dietary habits and the epidemic of obesity and getting everybody enough time and engagement to get into some regular physical activity. We are made for regular daily physical activity, and we're also made really not to have a full three square meals a day. Right, we need to limit our caloric intake by limiting the process foods and about, and that really needs to be the flag that we're waving.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, all right, Doctor Mike Wilson Euston MDS dot org. Mike, it's always such a pleasure to have you on.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, good, we'll get you back on a lot to talk about, all right, So everybody go to doctor Jogalotti dot com sign for our newslet us stay in touch with all that we do. And again, I would say, for the end of this year and all of next year, this make America Healthy again, I think is without a doubt going to be a theme. So until then, you all take care of yourselves. We'll see you.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to your health first with doctor Joe Galotti. For more information on this program or the content of this program, go to your health first dot com