Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, November twenty fourth, twenty twenty five, and I'm the host of the show Doctor Kara Santa Maria. So Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American listeners. I am actually out of the country this week and will be I think actually on an airplane on Thanksgiving proper. It's a good time to fly. You wouldn't think it is, but when you fly on the actual day. I say that now as I pre record this, but usually it's a little less expensive, at least to and fro the US. The rest of the world obviously doesn't have any indication of that. I am yammering on, but I'm really excited about this week's episode. Before I get into it, it's a big one, it's an important one. But before I get into it, I do want to thank you again. Talk Nerdy is and will always be one hundred percent free to download. We're coming up on the holidays now. I have been not working at the hospital during the entire credentialing process since March. I'm finally starting back up again in December, but this whole time I've just been podcasting. That's been my only source of income. Combine that with the incredible editing team and my just fearless and amazing producer slash executive assistant slash friend slash I don't know emotional support. No, well, you guys are making it so that I can pay those bills and so I can pay those salaries. And it's just so important because the content that we discuss here on the show, I think you'll see in the next few weeks, it's just becoming increasingly relevant, increasingly necessary. So let me let me thank a handful of you, and then we'll get into why. This week's top patrons include Chuck Blell, David J. E. Smith, Daniel Lang, Mary Neiva Anubadavaj, David Compton, Brian Holden, Gabriel f Haarmio, Ulrica Hagman, Pasqually Gilatti, and Joe Wilkinson. If you are interested in pledging your support on an episodic basis, all you've got to do is visit patreon dot com, that's p A t R e O N dot com, slash talk Nerdy to learn more. Okay, this is a big one. This week, I had the opportunity to speak with doctor Michael E. Mann. You probably know Michael mannon we'll talk about this as the researcher responsible for the infamous, famous, important, necessary hockey stick graph when it comes to, uh, the change in our climate's temperature, right when it comes to global warming. He's a Presidential Distinguished Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Science at the University of Pennsylvania. He's also the director of the Penn Center for Science, Sustainability and the Media. And he has a new book that he co wrote with Peter J. Hotez, who's the dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine and a professor of pediatrics and molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine. He's also the co director of the Texas Children's Center for Vaccine Development. So we've got probably the most famous climate scientists combined with just an incredibly important researcher in the world of virology, micro biology and vaccine science. And they co wrote a book Science under Siege, How to Fight the five most powerful forces that threaten our world. So, without any further ado, here he is doctor Michael E. Mann, Well, Michael, Mike, whatever you prefer to be called. I am so glad that you are here today, and I just want to thank you for joining us here on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Kara. I'm Mike to my friends, and so that should suffice for our conversation here.
Speaker 1: I love it. I always ask people before we start rolling. I'm like, I use the full name and title in the show notes and when I interro you, but like, are you okay with me calling you by your first name? And I've yet to have somebody say, God, no, you must call me doctor Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well we've hung out before, so yes, it's great to be back with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we've chatted before when you were a guest on The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, but I've not had you yet on Talk Nerdy. I will say part of that is because although this show has been going on for gosh eleven years now, early on, I was getting a lot of bookings directly from you know, publishers and publicists in the sciences, and just because of the nature of my show being a hard science show early on and not doing as much social justice work, it was just like white men left and right, like cis Head white men, and so I made a conscious effort quite a while ago to you know, intentionally bring more marginalized people on the show. And it's rare now that I have a sis heat white man on the show.
Speaker 2: I figured it was just because I was nerdy enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not at all. Couldn't be that. But I have to say, when your new book came across my desk, I was like, I have to get Mike on the show. This is such an important topic. So I'm just I'm so glad that you're here.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad to be here, so thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. You co wrote your new book, Science under Siege with Peter Hotez. Is that how you pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is yep, and so he is.
Speaker 1: The dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine and also pediatrics and Molecular Virology and micro bio professor at Baler. You are now a Presidential Distinguished Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Science at you PEN and also the director of the Pen Center for Science, Sustainability and the Media. Most people know you as a climate scientist, right.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, absolutely, yeah. I mean, so you're wondering how did you know? It almost sounds like the makings of a joke. Climate scientist and a vaccine scientist walk into a.
Speaker 1: Bar, right, right. But obviously those are two areas that are you know, under siege. Those are two areas that have become deeply deequoliticized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And that's sort of how this came about. About five years ago, I was witnessing my colleagues in the public health arena be subject to the same sorts of attacks that I had been subject to decades ago when we published the now well known hockey Stick curve, and it sort of made me a target for fossil fuel front groups and polluters, you know, advocates for polluters, politicians who find the you know, the science of climate change inconvenient to an agenda of continued fossil fuel fossil fuel dependents, and so they went after me in an effort to discredit this, you know, this, this iconic graph that demonstrates just how profound the warming of the past century is, how how without precedent it is. It really drives home the reality of the problem. So, you know, I've been subject to attax by right wing politicians and news outlets, you know, the Rupert Murdoch media empire, demands, I'd be fired for my job by climate that you name it, and and it was sort of PTSD for me, you might say, when about five years ago, I saw my friends in the public health arena, like Peter, like Tony Fauci, being subject to exactly the same sorts of character attacks, the same tactics, often by some of the same players. And I reached out to Peter, you know, because I felt that we had some lessons, that I had some wisdom I could share with him based on my own experiences. We became friends. We realized, Hey, we've got a book to write because whether it's climate science or COVID nineteen vaccines, we're dealing with this massive assault by an anti science driven, you know, movement that threatens us all absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I'm so, I mean, I think this is such a great way to start this conversation because probably the number one question that I've been champing at the bit to ask you has to do with that very thing. You have been dealing with this kind of pressure for a lot of your career. But I'm curious, from your perspective, does it feel different now?
Speaker 2: It does in a sense, you know, if we can use a medical analogy, I would say, you know, back in the nineteen nineties, you know, there was this sort of localized cancer in the you know, uh, in the body politic. This this assault, this bad faith assault on climate science by fossil fuel interests in those promoting their agenda. And what we've seen is this metastasized now to impact all of not just all of science, but our entire public discourse. This bad faith assault by plutocrats. You know, we we spell them out in the book, plutocrats and petro states and polluters and you know, who have come together to you know, try to not just mislead the public and policymakers about sort of some of the critical threats that we face in the science that underlies that, but essentially to undermine our entire public discourse. So yeah, it feels much bigger. It feels like what was once this localized cancer has now metastasized to impact our entire body politic.
Speaker 1: And it's such a difficult position to be in. I mean, I'm sitting over here as a science communicator turned clinical psychologists, so I'm working within the systems, but I'm also you know, continuing to do some of the public communication of science. I don't have a position where I am attempting to affect policy, for example, But I just can't imagine that those who are working as public servants in the scientists, I mean, they must feel so like it must be hard to maintain hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, And we hear from some of them. We hear from Peter certainly. Here's from colleagues, some of the career scientists who worked in NIH and the Center for Disease Control CDC. And I hear from you know, some of my colleagues who are at science institution that are involved in some way in atmospheric science or ocean science or climate science, Noah, the e p A, et cetera. We hear stories from colleagues who you know, are are still somehow there or in many cases, who have been let go over the past several months as the current administration, the Trump administration looks to pretty much dismantle the infrastructure for public health science in the US, the infrastructure for climate, advancing the science of climate and advancing the solutions. It's it's it's demoralizing. I know for these folks, many of them are without jobs. But more than that, you know, this was their life's work. They you know, we're talking about career scientists who had no you know, didn't didn't go into this for any political agenda. They went into it because they loved doing science and they wanted to do science for the public good. And now we have a government that, you know, there's no other way to put it, is trying to weaponize anti science for the public bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I mean that's that's something that's so obvious to those of us who have dedicated our lives to scientific inquiry and to kind of understanding and utilizing the scientific method. But it makes me wonder, like maybe this is the psychologist in me. But I'm always trying to sort of empathize, as hard as it may be with the position of the current administration or Project twenty twenty five or of like whichever architects you want to talk about. They must know what's going to happen. So is this intentional? Is it they want to make their be you know, public like a lack of public sort of engagement so that authoritarianism can rule. Like is that the endgame here? What is the point?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I just and what you're saying, we'd like to believe that like our fellow human beings, aren't just purely being evil for the sake.
Speaker 1: Of valuable unfortunately in.
Speaker 2: The world, you know, and it's there's there's a famous quote attributed to Upton Sinclair, the early sort of a you know, public figure journalist muckraker in the early nineteen hundreds, once famously said that, you know, it's very difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it. And I think, unfortunately, that is you know, a pretty a pretty appropriate framing for a lot of what we're seeing. We're talking about people who are too well educated and too smart to believe much of the nonsense and the propaganda that they are actively promoting. Now, some of these people are ideologue. Some of these people may believe their own rhetoric. I believe that's true of RFK Junior, you know, as misguided as he is, I think he actually believes a lot of what he's saying. And well, we don't really know if it's RFK Junior or the worm who ate his brain, but that's coming out of him appears to be an authentic sort of expression of his viewpoints. But in many cases, it's a purely cynical gambit by people who are focused on achieving as much short term profit and power as they possibly can at the expense of the rest of us, as the expense of scientific truth, and at the expense of good faith discourse.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think it's such an important point that we cannot look at what is happening right now in a vacuum. We can only look at it in the context of this sort of like deregulated capitalism, of this era of extreme wealth and extreme income inequality. And I think that you made a really good point there that bears sort of amplifying, which is there's a big difference between the architects and the propagandists and then the people who believe them. The people are harmed by them, vote for them and maybe continue to amplify their message, But we're not the architects of that message.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Thanks, That's such an important distinction. It's one that we do try to draw out in the book. You know, many of the folks who are down in the trenches, you know social media, you know, not the bots and the professional trolls, but actual real people who have fallen victim to this disinformation campaign. And I use the term victim pointedly because they're victims of a disinformation campaign. Now, those who are behind the campaign, well those are those are the villains in this story. But the ordinary people who believe what they're hearing because they're bombarded by this disinformation because there are rhetorician rhetoricians who are especially skilled at sort of tapping into the reptilian parts of the human brain, and I think that that's a lot of what's going on. People who, you know, are if you're constantly watching Fox News and reading the Wall Street Journal editorial pages, you have a view of the world that is so you know, out of bounds, that is so fundamentally inconsistent with the way the world actually is, and it's easy for people to become trapped in that epistemic bubble where they're just bombarded with this this disinform Now Fox News is pumping out the disinformation for the most cynical purposes. And we know that they've lost lawsuits over that they know they're lying. It's been proven in court that they know they're lying. But it's the people who are listening to them in many cases, you know, and we might not like their politics. They might be maga, what have you, We might not agree with them, but nonetheless, in a very real sense, they are victims of this disinformation campaign. And they're victims in part because they're being convinced to support policies and to vote against their own interest, whether it's you know, public health, whether it's the future of the planet for their children, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doublely victimized, because number one, they are going to be harmed. I mean, just like any progressive, you know, a conservative is going to be harmed by these policies as well. And number two, they're sort of facilitating their own demise without even in a lot of ways being duped into facilitating their own demise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's so tragic here, no question about it.
Speaker 1: And so you know, I'm curious we sort of already mentioned, but obviously we can go a bit deeper. You know. In the book, you guys sort of divide it into like the forces that are threatening science right now into like five ps. And in a way we've already touched on plutocrats and propagandists. What are the other three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the plutocrats, you know, the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Elon Musk who the control of the Purse Springs, who fund the disinformation and for their own ideological or political or self interest. Then you know the Petro States, Russia, Saudi Arabia. You would have to say the United States right now under Trump and Republican Congress. You know, countries that basically have an anti science agenda with respect to clean energy and climate driven by you know, their dependence on fossil fuels for their economy. So those are the petro states. And this is synergistic because often these forces are interacting, they're working together. I would put there are two more piece that are technically part of the five, the polluters and the politicians of those petro states who enable that agenda.
Speaker 1: And then, real quick before you move on, would you consider because you know, obviously petro kind of denotes fossil fuels, but would you also consider like the rare earth metals and the mining industry and all of these sort of newer requirements for to kind of keep up with current technology in that bucket.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. And one of the things that Peter and I talk about is even though we use that term petro state in part because we're I'm wedded to alliteration, so there or therefore we had to find you know, peas like peas in a pod. But these five peas. But the you know, one of the things we talk about is there is this historical relationship between resource extraction driven economies and petros. That's the sense in which we're using petro states, not just oil, natural gas, and coal fossil fuels, but extractionist countries that primarily whose economy is primarily driven by the extraction of natural resources. These countries tend to be authoritarian, tend to have an anti science agenda through and through, And we can get if you want, we can get into how is it that like some of these same petro states and plutocrats hopped on the anti vax train. You know What's we understand why they dispute climate science and fight against renewable energy because it's a direct challenge to their fossil fuel business model. But how why is it that they became you know, antagonistic to the public health community. But they but they did, and so there is this relay. These petro states really are more generally authoritarian regimes that are driven by a political agenda which is propped up by anti.
Speaker 1: Science absolutely, and I think it's funny because I get into this is going to be in the weeds for like two seconds here, But because you know the sgu guys, and because you've been on the show before, I have to bring up here and you know I publicly talk about this with them as well. One of our biggest sticking points when we do argue on the show, which I you know we don't, we don't because we agree about a lot of things, has to do with crude space travel and with sort of this motivation crude oil. Yeah, no, crude like exactly yeah. I know, I know the new nomenclature doesn't always work in an audio format, but so this idea and they are like just gung ho pro space travel in almost every single form. And I am always very eked out and reticent when it comes to sending people into, you know, the far flung regions of space wherever we might be able to go, because it does seem to be that the motivation is almost always extractive, colonial, geopolitical, and I just don't think you can tease those things apart. But you know that I hear a common argument that it's like, no, it's just you know, the human uh, you know, spirit of wanting to understand what we don't yet under And I love that and it's very pure, but it also feels so naive to me. Yeah, even if you look back to the early explorers like it was gross, it was a gross time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no, it's it's it's a fascinating topic. I've seen that same tension and in conversations with with you know, fellow science advocates, and I think it's historical in part. I think it's part of the historical legacy of you know, Carl Sagan and my friend Bill Nye, who is still very much support that because there's something that it just somehow, something in our consciousness. And in fact, Sagan has a wonderful discussion of this. I forget which book, it might be Pale Blue Dot and one of his books it's like, why as a species are we driven? Are like almost it's in our constitution two, you know, to only go where no human has gone before, right, and and space travel is an extension of that. But it's what drove migrations, this need to diversify, this need to find new groups of people to expand our horizons and and somehow it's ingrained in our in our psyche and our collective consciousness. And so I understand that, and I think that was I think, you know, people who have been very influential in this, in this world, the science communication world, like Carl Sagan, I think, did you know? And it's sort of eloquently expressed in the book and then movie Contact, for example, where Jody Foster, you know, is the star scientist again undergoing you know, I won't give it away for those who had seen it, but probably through space and time to extend our horizons. So I think it's there. I think it's culturally there in our world, in the world of science communication. But there is, you know, there's this conflict because you're right, from a purely cerebral standpoint, if we're you know, trying to if we're talking about what's the most efficient way for us, in the safest way for us to extend our knowledge, is not clear that it's necessary.
Speaker 1: Right, And we have robots now, right, yes, and there are ways to go do these things without, you know, but even for one robot, you.
Speaker 2: Know, for one welcome our new robot overlord. So let me just be firmly on records with that they can't screw up the planet more than we did.
Speaker 1: Yes, and especially when it comes to space travel. But I digress. I do think that each of these obviously five main forces which which you guys get so deep into in the book, there are just layers upon layers upon layers. So we mentioned the plutocrats, we mentioned the petro States, we mentioned the propagandists in passing is what about the pros?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the pros and the propagandas are sort of two sides of the same coin. These are the people sort of out there promoting the disinformation, the misinformation. It's the petro states and the plutocrats are funding the operation, but they need ground forces out there, you know, promoting this the disinformation, and on social media, on podcasts, in the mainstream media, on conservative talk uh conservative you know, uh, television news networks or pseudo news networks. You know that. So some of them do it for money. They're literally paid for that, and that hence pro they're pros. And in the world of public health, there's an interesting sort of special case of sort of the health freedom uh uh, sort of Mount Bank libertarian, Yeah, exactly, they've exploited this sort of libertarian health freedom movement, but a lot of them have monetized that very cynical way by undermining public faith in you know, conventional in vaccines so that they can market There are snake oil and charge huge expenses for tell tele conference uh uh consultations that go along with selling very cheap but completely uh unhelpful fake miracle cures uh like you know, uh ivermectin or hydrochloroquin and so that's it. They're is special. But but the bottom line is whether it's they're you know, monetizing the anti science by selling a product game rich doing so, or taking big bucks from tobacco and fossil fuel companies to get out there on Fox News and promote propaganda. Those are the pros, the the the propagandists. Many of them do it anyways. They're not necessarily paid, but they're still part of that ecosystem. They're they're true believers or what have you. And so there that's essentially the same category, the pros and the propagandasts. And in many cases one could argue over whether a particular cular individual is in one category of the other, but that's sort of that fills out, you know. So it's the petro States, plutocrats, the pros and propagandists, and then there's one.
Speaker 1: More, the press, right, and they're they're deeply related as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was tough for Peter and me really to be so convinced that our media has become part of the problem that we were willing to actually make that one of the categories, even though we have you know, colleagues, friends, journalists that we've interacted with, that we've worked with. There's so there's so many really good journalists out there, and so we're not saying they're all bad and that all these outlets are bad. What we are saying is that too often now many of our major media, especially as they're bought out by some of these conservative plutocrats, right like CBS News. We're looking at you, uh, you know, Elon Musk buying Twitter and now TikTok being bought by another one of these conservative plutocrats. So our media are no longer independent. They're being bought out by plutocrats. Jeff Bezos, a plutocrat, owns the Washington Post, and we've seen him now come out and say, well, you know, we are going to I mean, he's gotten rid of a lot of their longtime opinion writers. They're more progressive opinion writers. There have been massive layoffs, and he said that he is now sort of retooling the Washington Post to promote conservative principles like free markets. New York Times, you know, we take them to task for engaging in what we call performative neutrality, where you know, both the New York Times and the Washington Post have repeatedly platformed the lab leak theory of COVID nineteen even though the you know, there isn't a single peer reviewed article that supports it, and the evidence is overwhelmingly in the direction of zoom spillover events, you know, transmitted from bats and pangolins to human beings. There's quite a bit of evidence that's what's happened. But the idea that was a lab leak in Wuhan, China plays into so many useful stereotypes that the right has exploited. And here you've got, you know, legacy media like the New York Times, that the Gray Lady and the Washington Post that have platformed, you know, not just pseudo science, but anti science and done so for example, in several cases, on the eve of, say a congressional testimony by Tony Fauci, and the day before, the New York Times the Washington Post will publish an op ed attacking them, attacking the mainstream scientific understanding of of you know, COVID nineteen and platforming anti science, and so we have to hold them accountable as well. Even you know, it's not just the right wing media. Obviously they're a problem. The Ruper Murdoch, the Murdoch Empires media empire is the single greatest promoter of anti science propaganda, both with respect to climate and COVID nineteen vaccines. Obviously they're a problem. But even what we might call the mainstream press have now become weaponized in a way that is extremely unhelpful.
Speaker 1: Do you think that part of this is like an Overton window issue, that like certain things in the window of discourse have become so normalized, like certain radical things, that what seems now center is actually and I know Overton went kind of north south axis intentionally to avoid left right, but like that radical things are now considered like policy or popular sensible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look at the things right now that the president of the United States is doing I mean literally amputating the White House. Yeah, you know, amputaying a leg off of the White I mean it's almost it's symbolic of just how the standards have shifted so dramatically that things that wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Thought would have never been I mean, throwing a Gatsby themed party at our a lago in the middle of snap benefits being taken from millions of Americans like it.
Speaker 3: Just audacity, Yeah, the audacities say, you know what, we are so immune now to criticism that we're going to prove your point for you and it's not going to matter.
Speaker 2: We're going to give you the you know, the the video clip that you ought to be able to use to defeat every Republican in Congress and the upcoming you know, in the midterm elections, We're going to give it to you, and you're still not going to be able to win because we've got so much money, we're so organized, we've taken over the reigns of the government. That is their attitude, and that's why they rely. They think that they are now you know that they are now immune to the will of the public, and that's a very dangerous place for us to be But you're absolutely right, it's this shifting of the Overton window. But it didn't happen by chance. It happened because of these deeply entrenched, well funded, you know, plutocrats, conservative plutocrats, dark money that they have used to basically buy out our media, control the public discourse, and move that window in the direction that they wanted to go.
Speaker 1: And so really like this idea that because you often hear this and it kind of flies in the face of evidence based or science based thinking, critical thinking, you know, kind of the skeptic mantra that there is this like deep state and this is like a huge conspiracy theory. But really, like it's like you said, if you follow the money, there is sort of a natural path of least resistant almost like an evolutionarily an evolutionary principle at play where those with I guess the most fitness. But here we're talking about capitalist fitness. You know, greed. These things are just going to happen over and over and they don't have to be I guess all in cahoots for that to occur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, And let's you know, I mean, if we want to bring some scientific gravitas to this point of view. Let's introduce Albert Einstein, who famously wrote back in the nineteen thirties, and I think it was it was it was some sort of commentary that he wrote on sort of American politics and where it was headed, and he warned that a capitalist system where media outlets, where our media can be owned by individuals, can be bought out using private capital, that inevitably the equilibrium of that system. Let's make this physics. The equilibrium of that system is a system where a small number of extremely wealthy people control the public discourse. And once they do that, democracy cannot function in the way the founding fathers imagined it would, because the assumption was that people would make decisions that first of all, are informed by facts, but second of all, are in their own interest. And once you can get people to vote against their own interests, you have so much control, such extensive control of the media environment, that you can basically just you know, you can pollute the entire public discourse with your own for framing and propaganda and talking points. So Einstein worried that that was the equilibrium of a system where you know, our media could be bought using private capital. That we have a privatized media, a system with the media that can be owned by a small number of individuals. The equilibrium of that is a small number of individuals who are running the country and making policy in their own interest rather than in the public interest. And that was, you know, the better part of a century ago that Einstein warned of that. So you know, if you want to say that Einstein Stein was a conspiracy theorist, then fine, you know, make that argument, But no, some of the greatest scientific minds you know, in modern history saw this quite clearly. Carl Sagan saw this. He warned about this as well, so did you know, so many other great thinkers, scientists and great thinkers saw this. Even Mike Judge saw where we were headed in idiocracy.
Speaker 1: Right yep, Yeah, absolutely, It's that's.
Speaker 2: Sort of the comic version Einstein, yeah, Sagan, or the tragic version. Ideocracy is the comic version of that prophecy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, it's it's such a tough thing because there's this part of all of us that that it's it's not institutional memory, it's very recent memory. What it I mean, obviously, there have been problems, governmental problems for quite some time. Regardless of the political party that's like in power. But we do remember when the people who were sort of playing the game agreed on the rules exactly, and that we all were sort of pro democracy and anti authoritarianism. And now that that's not the case, the system is breaking down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're so right. I mean, there's it's interesting to think about what were the axioms, you know, and they were they were you know, this was the age of this was the Enlightenment. They were guided by science and enlightenment. The founding fathers, they were well educated, they thought scientifically. Jefferson was a scientist, Benjamin Franklin, the founder of my university, was a scientist. They and so, and they were sort of axiomatic and how they thought, And so we can ask what were the axioms, what were the assumptions. And one of the assumptions that they made was that we could at least agree upon the basic premise that our country was founded on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, And and so we're in a tough spot and I want I want to make sure that we carve out enough time because we're getting close to our time crunch here. But you mentioned previously, and I think it's clear to see this connection between plutocracy and you know, Petro states, this connection between fossil fuels and individuals and governmental power who you know, have been bought by lobbyists and are making decisions to help, you know, just increase wealth for a select few. But the anti vax movement, it does seem strange. It doesn't seem like the laby like that there's a big profit motive. If anything, it seems like pharma would be a better alliance with these pollutacrats. So when did we go astray there?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. And so Peter and I trace it back. I mean, the roots of sort of the health freedom movement and sort of libertarian conservative politics go way back, you know, to early American history.
Speaker 1: So the Spanish flew there was the anti mask movement. I remember seeing amazing like photographs and yeah, yeah in the.
Speaker 2: Article well and sort of the rugged individual. There was this idea that like, we should be free. You can't tell me, you know, what medicines to take. So it's almost you know, arguably part there are good things about sort of the American psyche, and there's some some bad things about it. And one of it in the tendency to challenge authority can serve us well in certain circumstances. But when the authorities tell are advising us based on you know, the scientific consensus as to how to best protect ourselves from disease, we should be listening to those authorities. But this anti authoritarianism, and that was a big part, it's a big part of the conservative movement today. They need people confused, they need them distrustful, they need them distrustful experts they need and that can be obviously the climate experts and the clean energy experts, but it's the public health experts as well, and one of the interesting sort of pieces of the puzzle. So that's sort of the larger picture. You know, the experts are wrong and sort of weaponizing their base to reject you know, what experts have to say. Because in that world of relativism where nobody knows who to trust, bad actors flourish and can easily exploit that ignorance. And so that's a big part of it. But there's also a very specific thing that happened early on during the pandemic when we needed to stem the spread of COVID nineteen and so governments were instituting stay at home orders and lockdowns and policies to prevent the spreading of this disease, which was necessary to minimize the fatalities which were you know, it was overwhelming the public health system. And one thing that that led to was a decrease in energy usage. And you can see it if you look at carbon emissions. There's a big dent, a negative dent during the pandemic when transportation less, transportation less use of energy in general decreased carbon emission, decreased use of fossil fuels. And guess who that hurt. That hurt the fossil fuel industry, including the largest privately held fossil fuel interest, the petrochemical coke industries, and the Koch brothers, the infamous plutocrat libertarians who have funded much of the you know, the disinformation infrastructure of climate denial and opposing clean energy. Well early on, they saw their own interest as being threatened by the advice of the public health community. Don't listen to the experts who were telling you to we need lockdowns, you need to wear masks, etc. And the problem is that created this sort of weaponized rabble that was sort of conditioned to reject the advice of the public health community. And when that came around to being vaccination, well they were going to reject that too. And the tragedy of that was hundreds of thousands of lost lives in the United States because as largely conservative base had been weaponized to reject the advice of the public health community, which included the advice to take a vaccine that could save your life, and in many cases didn't because these people wouldn't take it.
Speaker 1: And then there's this weird confluence where this kind of prominent, outspoken as you mentioned before, died in the wool anti vaxer, happened to have the ear of the president, happened to be promoted to a very influential post.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and in that regard, it's chillingly so similar to the and I know we don't have the time to go through it, so your listeners, can you know, look Uplysenko in the Soviets talk about that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, this is this is the trajectory we are on right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's happened before where you know, anti science became sort of the official ideological view of the government, and in that case, the Russian government and to it led to the demise of you know, hundreds of thousands of people because of famines that resulted from bad the bad pseudoscience that was being used to uh to used to guide agricultural policies in the Soviet Union in Russia. And so it's the same you know history they say doesn't doesn't doesn't repeat, but it often echoes. It's it's itself. That's sort of where we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and and people will die. And I think it's an important thing. You know, it's important to bring everyone's attention to that. So much important stuff. In this book, we didn't even get to talk about how you go to bed at night without you know, tons of Onwii, but where.
Speaker 2: You take a second to take a second as it's history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme. That's the saying I was looking for. And in the there are lots of things that we can do to try to make sure, you know, as scientists, as science communicators, the work that we do to inform the public is even more important today. And we have to create space for young scientists who want to be involved in that. We have to sort of reclaim the scientific discourse that has been hijacked by these bad actors, no question about it. But it's you know, it's almost impossible for us to do that as long as the rules are stacked against us. And so in the end, we need to take the actions necessary to reclaim our politics right. We need to elect politicians policymakers who are going to support policies to regulate big tech so that they're not allowed to weaponize social media in the way that's being weaponized against the public interest, that dark money, limiting the penetration of dark money which is poisoning our politics, and poisoning policy. All of these things we can't do as individuals. We need our government to do it. And that will only happen if we vote for politicians, support politicians, create space and support for those politicians who are willing to advocate on our behalf rather than be rubber stamps for these bad actors. And I say that I'm not sure when this is going to run, but today's election day. It's an off term election, and it sort of drives home. People need to get out. They need to use their voice and their vote to try to re you know, to steer the ship back to the path of truth. And decency.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, gosh, I can't thank you enough for the time that you gave us today, for the time that you've committed to your research, your work in you know, public communication of these important issues, and this wonderful book co written by yourself, doctor Michael Mann and doctor Peter Hotez. The book is Science under Siege. How to Fight the five most powerful forces that threaten our world. Mike, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Care It's always such a pleasure to talk with you, and I look forward to talking again, hopefully sometime soon.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and everyone listening, thank you for coming back week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk. Nerdy