Speaker 1: Warm sunny day, poor air quality for sensitive groups. Well, you know what, sensitive groups, just stay inside. Then we'll go in and suck in all that at sunshine ourselves. It's gonna be hot today, high and ninety two with that air quality alert in effect. Tomorrow hot hum a a few storms possible late in the day on Sunday with a high again in the lower nineties. It's sixty eight now seven hundred wl W. Sport Sean McMahon is in this morning, producing and handling the sports desk, and I know you're not feeling the best, Sean, but you know what, we will make the most out of it. We got a Reds victory the first game of the set in Philadelphia yesterday they beat Phil's ninety six and more today.
Speaker 2: Right correct, Yeah, So it's a four oh five first pitch, So our coverage will begin at three oh five here on the big one. Yesterday's win, Andrew Rabbit win, three point one innings, pitch, nine hits, allout, four runs, two of those runs coming off the bat of former Red Nick Costianos, and also yesterday Gary Jeff July fourth, so tradition in the United States is the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Joey Chestnut nabbed his seventeenth title. If you can believe that, you know how many hot dogs he ate in twenty appearances, He's eaten twelve hundred and eighty four and a half.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the total time he's done the competition.
Speaker 2: In twenty appearances. Yeah, he's done. He's eaten two hundred eighty four and a half hot dogs in this how many way? How many did he have yesterday? He had seventy and a half. This year he has cleared the seventy mark seven times.
Speaker 1: That's truly amazing, and I'm glad I'm not him. I agree, I agree with you there.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the human body handles that, but it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: Anything else going on in sports of note right now.
Speaker 2: Not much happening. We're kind of in that dead period of sports. It's really just reds going on right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got, as I mentioned kind of during the history segment, Wimbledon does continue. Oh yes, wimbled at the All Tennis Club England, and we'll maybe take a check on that a little bit later on this morning. The John Deer Classic continues in the PGA tournament this weekend. But again, it's not a big sports weekend, it's a big America weekend, and we're all over it. Lady Lynette and Dick both on the line. Everything is perfect, Everything is as it should be on a Saturday morning, and we'll get to it in just a moment. We are News Radio seven hundred WLW. Hey with warmer weather here. We all know our energy bills are going to be spiking right along with the temperatures, and your money's going to be flying out of your home faster than it north of July weekend, July fifth, I'll have a fifth myself. Gjdubs Back in the Saturday morning chair Man. There is so much going on there, so much I guess I want to get out and talk about. First and foremost, got to say hello to the gang at the river Camp in Patriot, Indiana. Is there a better place that's been fourth of July than Patriot, Indiana? Come on, and my friends brothers, the Pisquallys and all of their can gathered there at the river Camp yesterday afternoon. Just a very casual, very very fun gathering. We're just sitting around talking, telling stories. Some we made up, some were real and enjoying the beautiful weather and just it is amazing. No words can describe it. You have to actually be at a place like that with the scenic Ohio River as your backdrop and a bunch of friendly folks gathering to celebrate the freedoms that we have in this country and enjoy each other's company. And it was remarkable. So Rick, Ron, Laurie, Uncle Bill, Kim, Matt, Andy, Laura, whoever else? The triplets? So Rick and Ron are identical twin brothers, and they've got a son who has produced, yes triplets. These girls are all just adorable. They're like twelve years old and they're riding the golf carts and it was just a wonderful afternoon. I hope you had as good a time and we're able to enjoy the fourth like Christ two point zero and I did yesterday. Good morning, Mame Tree, Lady Lynnette.
Speaker 3: Ah Somerica.
Speaker 4: Sad beside, I'm to the farm, to the Surcicina, Bob from the mountain, to suprity, to the otion. Why football maycall?
Speaker 5: But oh.
Speaker 6: Sweet oh, I didn't know if you were going to go for that last note. You decided against it.
Speaker 3: Huh, that's right.
Speaker 1: Why you're reading that was beautiful?
Speaker 7: I got the.
Speaker 3: Bone down the allergy that is bad. I'm foming at the mouth of night.
Speaker 1: You're folding at the mouth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got it bad.
Speaker 1: You've got rabies. What do you mean you're foming.
Speaker 3: At the mouth aology? They're kicking me, baby.
Speaker 1: You sounded great. I thought you were going to hit that last one. You were going to go up and rude?
Speaker 8: What I did it all morning and when I drank that Boone County water, I don't have the same boys, I'm bombing.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm bowman.
Speaker 7: At the mouth.
Speaker 1: Do I thought it sounded great, Lena, it really did.
Speaker 3: I tried lower that dry.
Speaker 1: So did you guys have any kind of celebration there at Florence Park Care yesterday?
Speaker 3: Dave McCoy and his wife and he sang it or cheated one. I'm singing anyway. It such a good time. I was just flowing with the flow.
Speaker 1: Did you have any food?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: It was a two thirty concert. We lunched at twelve.
Speaker 1: Thirty, Okay. I didn't know if they had special Fourth of July food, like you had hot dogs or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're gonna have a Sunday one day. Oh, well, have ice cream Sunday.
Speaker 1: That sounds wonderful, very tasty.
Speaker 3: Albus will be here to eighteen Marsha. I wan't see your face in the place. Hey, Pat Columbus, Hey Christine, My Lexa went out because they guy new computer system and I can't find my phone. Help me, Mama, help me? And Doorstein over there. I love you too, baby.
Speaker 1: All right, my girls, do we get all the shout outside of the way?
Speaker 7: Baby?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Love, okay, we love you. Happy fourth of July, Happy fifth of July.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give me some blite Jack and some Johnny Red and we'll make it.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: I love all right, bye bye, some Jack Black and some Johnny Red for Lynette. Five point fifty five at seven hundred w OLU run a business and to rise and shine. And our buddy Dick the Dixter is back. Good morning, Dick.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Gett Jeff.
Speaker 10: How are you great?
Speaker 1: How do you love your new phone?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: The phone is fantastic. It's really nice, really nice.
Speaker 1: Well, you sound clear as a bell. I love that. What's been going on with you?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: They've been having uh each morning we have morning exercises and then Trey goes over. We do a little trivia and then we U. Then we uh, let's see it. Two o'clock. We go out and sit on the porch and we listened to iHeartRadio. They had the oldies on there, and we just go through it. They just go through it. They had Chuck Berry, Martha and the Vandellas, Sam Cooke.
Speaker 7: It was good, nice, It was really nice.
Speaker 1: So you start your day with a little exercise, little calisthenics, get the bar. Do you get the blood flowing?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: And and then trivia you get your mind working. They're trying to keep you young, dick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's for sure. That's for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you met any new new friends?
Speaker 7: Yes, a lot of.
Speaker 9: New friends there at really night at the Good Place.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I am so glad to enjoy it. My friends Eddie and Mary come by on Saturday. I usually go to my friend. She came over in the uh Transport band and uh she had a good time. We were we were just rocking and trains pretty good. And I told him and I want to Uh. I called day from Dayton. Yeah, wish him happy, uh aport. He's got a phone for me and I'm waiting for that phone.
Speaker 7: You know the cell phone.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, well, I mean it's it's nice that you have a phone through the into the first official hour of the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, July fifth, twenty twenty five, not only Huey Lewis's birthday, but Spam's birthday to Amazon's birthday too. How about that, as we still celebrate America's birthday some two hundred and forty nine plus years ago into our two hundred and fiftieth year and still going strong through it all, think about it first, having to win independence from Great Britain in a bloody battle that no one in the world thought we as Americans, as colonial Americans, could win. I mean, you talk about staggering odds. They're the greatest power in the world at the time. Great Britain, the Monarchy of Land is the most impressive, well armed, well trained troops in the world. And it took a while and took a lot of blood, blood sweat and tears, as they say, not the band, the actual blood, sweat and tears to defeat the British. The way you've got to fight them again a few years later over More territory. There's a Louisiana purchase. There is the scourge of slavery and the fact that we wrestled as a nation in a four year, bloody battle that saw more than a million or nearly a million Americans die to reunify as a country. There's depressions and panics and everything that we've gone through and we're still here after some two hundred and fifty years. It is an amazing story. It's a story that is not replicated anywhere else on the planet in a history of humankind. Do you realize how special this is what we shared together? Pretty amazing? How with that, let's talk to Dave.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Dave, Good morning, Good Jeff. How we're doing there on this wonderful I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we could be doing any better. Brother, As I was just mentoring, mentioning in my long winded preamble there before I finally got you on the phone, and sanity has resumed, or lack thereof, I don't know. How could we be any more blessed by God than to be born here in this country, to be to be gifted with this opportunity that is unparalleled. That's why everybody wants to come here. We got it good and we should appreciate it. But there's a lot of people in this country who sadly do not and do not understand the sacrifice, do not understand the special, special blessing of God that is the United States of America. They would rather reign on our parade. And I say, well, I can't say what I say. I just have to think it. And you know what I'm thinking, don't you.
Speaker 7: I think I think I know what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, would you tell me because I have no idea? Well, what's going on? Oh wait, wait wait page one thirty.
Speaker 7: Two, Page one thirty two. Well, page one thirty two is kind of Saturn. Yeah, I think you.
Speaker 1: Heard that the guy who invented the heat index passed away, didn't you.
Speaker 7: No, really, yeah, apparently he was eighty eight, but he felt like one hundred and four.
Speaker 1: It's my joke, I know, I know.
Speaker 7: Happy Birthday spam. Hey, what kind of dance does America do on the fourth?
Speaker 1: What kind of dance does America do on the fourth?
Speaker 8: Dave?
Speaker 7: The Independent dance, of course. Yeah, there's a good question for you.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dave, Dave, Dave, Yeah, Dave, you think I'm just gonna let that go. It's independence, not dance.
Speaker 12: Oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: Five twenty one, five twenty one, Where was the declaration of independance?
Speaker 10: Side? Where at the bottom?
Speaker 13: Jokes told by day from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: Stall in the studio kind of creepy. I think dolls in general kind of creepy. But the Ventriloq was stall because maybe I watched too many really bad horror films back in the eighties and nineties. I always think that they're gonna start talking by themselves. The dummy is gonna start talking to me, which would be kind of redundant. Have a dummy talking to me? Are you talking to me? Let's talk to already a rick and get a reception report before I get any deeper into this hole that I'm in.
Speaker 12: Uh oh, no, I'm Gonna dig You Deeper. And one of the one of the versions of Amazon Women on the Moon, a American vanuloquist and a French raniloquist gets their dummies mixed up in luggage and the dummies speak the other language while they're on the stage. It's a funny concept, but they just didn't stop the joke. It went on way too long.
Speaker 1: So so the French dummy is speaking in English.
Speaker 12: Yes, and making fun of it because nobody understands what he's saying, including the ventuloquist.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great.
Speaker 12: Wackiness ensues.
Speaker 1: But I I mean, I just find that ventriloquis dummies in particular are just very very I don't know, there's something about them that give me the he be gbis.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 12: Yes, that and a lot of clowns, especially clown dolls. I mean, my wife and daughter warned me if we're in an antique ball, which is like clown alert, don't look left.
Speaker 1: Even a Jeff Dunham show. I mean, I can respect the man's talent, he's very funny, but I don't want to be alone with one of his dolls.
Speaker 12: Now that's kind of takes on two different things.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe not.
Speaker 12: Back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: So how are you receiving?
Speaker 14: Is?
Speaker 1: What are you using to receive this fine broadcast platform of iHeartMedia. How are you listening to the show?
Speaker 12: You are coming in five by five? And let me say you better be on a nineteen thirty eight Silico Com Model thirty six one sixteen XX known as the one sixteen double X. This radio, if this radio is a lady she'd been.
Speaker 15: Eleven, let me tell you, oh yeah, fifteen.
Speaker 12: Tubes yeah on RF and two IF reception amplifification stages AM and four short wave bands with great coverage and band spread. This thing is one heck of a DXer. And it also not only has a giant loudspeaker I think it's sixteen inches, but it also has three acoustic clarifiers, which are these passive radiators that look like speakers but have no wires that prevent any cabinet resonance so that the cabinet doesn't resonate and make weird sounds. Then it improves the fidelity greatly. The thing sounds as good as it receives. And yeah, it's a paint peeler.
Speaker 1: So I thought that in many cases you wanted some resonance from the cabinet, But you're saying without the resonance, the sound is even pure.
Speaker 12: You want a consistent resonance, and there are resonant frequencies of basically any objects. So the cabinet is going to vibrate horrifically at certain frequencies, and that's what this prevents.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, here's something I've always wanted to know. You say, it better be coming in five y five. It's a fifteen tuber. Why do more tubes improve the sound? Many times?
Speaker 12: And well, you know, it's a good question, and the reason is usually kind of a rule of thumb not etched in stone. Each tube represents a different stage of the radio. So a standard five to twoe radio doesn't have an RF amplifier to increase the antenna signal, and it only has I stage, which is the only amplification the signal ever gets. If it's a seven tube radio, that might mean it has an RF and a second I stage, so it's taking that signal off the antenna and boosting it and then boosting it again. The other side of it is that on the audio side, you may have one tube that's driving the speaker or in this case you have four tubes, a pre amp and then a duel what they call a push pull. Most radios actually get rid of exactly half of the audio, and this actually makes sure all of it goes through. And then there's a converter tube to flip the sign wave upside down. And yeah, it would take a radio guy to explain it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well what no hold on, that's why you're here. You're the radio guy to explain it. Your name is Old Radio Rick.
Speaker 12: For God's sake, for those of you MST three k fans, that was a doctor Forrester throwback of where well you see, well it would take a scientist to explain.
Speaker 7: Oh even talk to aren't you?
Speaker 1: That's great? Any other things to say about this fine specimen that you are listening on?
Speaker 12: Okay, so with all those wonderful details, do you think that's what Philco would focus on in the catalog?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 12: Of course not so. I go to a Saturday Evening Post ad a full page where it says the incline control panel FILCO is the only type of radio featuring the no squat, no stoop, no squint tuning process. It shows a cartoon of a man in a tucks and tails and us presumably his wife in an evening gown, and he says, honey, remember how I looked tuning the old radio, And she says, thanks to Philco, I'm beginning to forget.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: It takes the third paragraph to get to the fact that, oh, yeah, by the way, it's got the Just as the one sixteen double X sets new standards and convenience, it establishes new heights and fidelity for the reproduction of voices musical instruments, either singly or combined in great orchestra. A complete mastery of the short wave channels is yours too, with the Filko won sixteen double X, and no mention of the extra amplifiers or the really cool built in antenna or nothing. But then they get the payment plan. Yeah, this two hundred dollars radio in nineteen thirty eight. It is forty five hundred dollars today, and back then it would be a mere payment of one dollar or about twenty three bucks today a week for apparently four years.
Speaker 1: Jeez, going to put a radio on layaway.
Speaker 12: Yeah, by the time you get out the worst art whoops, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. So the nineteen thirty eight double lexer.
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, good things. Not a triplex because that would open up all other can of worms.
Speaker 1: Speaking of cans of worms, it's Spam's birthday today.
Speaker 12: Spat Spam Sunstones.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, Monty Python fan Old Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com. If you'd like to find out more.
Speaker 16: At six twenty two, seven hundred WLW Sports, Sean McMann in this morning, tell me the tale of what's going on this weekend.
Speaker 1: Say particularly the Reds, Yes, Sir Gary Jeff Well.
Speaker 2: The Reds one yesterday nine to six in Philadelphia to start the weekend. Game two of the three game series continues today four or five. First pitch coverage begins at three oh five here on the Big One. Nicolodolo to the mound for the Red Legs. All right, Yesterday, July fourth, and as always a big day at sports across the United States. It's particularly because of the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest. No surprise to anybody. Joey Chestnut naps another title, making it his seventeenth.
Speaker 1: Now here's the question, is this really a sporting event? Is this an exhibition? I consider it more. I mean, yeah, it takes some skill, yes, obviously. You know, it's funny because it's kind of on that gray line. It's like, could it be considered a sport? Could it not be?
Speaker 2: You know, I considered a sport just for fun, you know, eat your heart out, Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, you know what I mean. Seventeen titles pretty tough to beat.
Speaker 1: Well, I think bowling's of sports. So I guess we'll let the hunting. That's fair, you know on that too, And I don't know, really, not a hole lot else going on. Of course, Wimbledon continues this weekend part of the Fortnite Day six of Wimbledon today. Tournament goes until next Sunday, the thirteenth. All right, any winners or losers of note, not that I've seen. Next time around, Okay, six twenty six the gang from Ripley, and there is big news in Ripley. If you've been paying attention to the rest of the local media. The rest of the local media finally got in on what I've been talking about for the last seven years. And we'll discuss further in a moment afternoons.
Speaker 17: I'm toasted, you sid honey. We may meet through dude, would you never care me compare Whiskey down planted there.
Speaker 1: And east down Highway fifty two right there along the river, gorgeous summer day and yeah, how now Brown County, which has become the center of the media universe in Cincinnati over the last week or so, It's held a deep, abiding place in my heart for years. When I first met Doug and then Angie Bohnson and met the rest of the wonderful mosaic of human characters in Ripley, Ohio, first at Snappers Saloon and then at Brookies on Main Street, my life completely changed. And I've been talking to them on the radio on this show for good seven years now every Saturday morning. But all of a sudden, because of the notoriety I helped bring to this little hamlet on the Ohio River in Brown County, now Buddy wants a piece of the action. Channel five, Channel twelve, probably nineteen too, not who knows.
Speaker 18: Nine.
Speaker 1: They're all talking about Brookies and the Queen of Hearts.
Speaker 15: Good morning, gang, Good morning from a gang of one.
Speaker 1: Oh no kidding, Well, Darren needs arrest Darren needs arrests.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And there she's on an unexcused absence here this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, make sure that she knows that there will be consequences for her for her truancy.
Speaker 15: You had quite the build up for everything here and then you know, you just get one person.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you're you're where it all started. You're where it all started.
Speaker 10: This is perfect, Doug, We're back yeah with hey.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that pot this week is probably for the Queen of Hearts is probably going to be well over one point five million now just now.
Speaker 1: When it was whatever, a couple hundred thousand dollars, we were still talking about it. When it was five hundred thousand dollars, we were here touting it and helped build it up, and all of a sudden it got over a million, and the TV stations took notice. You know what you want to talk about? Our about a bunch of Johnny cum Lately's. I've known about Ripley and Brookies and all of the wonderful things that happened there for years.
Speaker 19: Have I not?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 18: Have been?
Speaker 7: Have I been?
Speaker 1: Have I been your number one cheerleader all this time?
Speaker 7: And all of that?
Speaker 15: You know our listeners, yeah, and our listeners out there that you know do all their interviews on the TV. They need to tell those TV channels.
Speaker 12: That they heard it here first.
Speaker 1: Jerry Jeff Walker w well W Saturday Mornings. That's where I found out about it. So yeah, the drawing this Wednesday night at seven thirty will be in excess. We're guessing of one point five million dollars, right.
Speaker 15: And Cherry even has a Shrey even has should have had a good report. But Wednesday's looking really good and according to the weather too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 15: And tell us tell us all about tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow will be the last farewell tour performance of me, Gary, Jeff Walker and Chris going's until probably the fall. At least two to four in the afternoon. We'll be there playing some music while people are buying their tickets for the Queen of Hearts at Brookies on Main Street and Ripley. Everybody knows where it is now, so there's no excuse but looking forward to Yeah, what else does yep?
Speaker 15: But if you sneak down buy your tickets today, I think my pool be open. There'll be some chicken wings on a girl ooh nice.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, Douglas, you hold down the fort there since you're the only one this morning. But tell everybody. I said, ha, And Dan Carroll said. Dan Carroll said, with somebody possibly winning a million dollars in the Queen of Hearts, Someone's about to become a millionaire thanks to Brookies. Does that really qualify as friends in low places? And I say yeah, because the green hornet if she want ain't changing, Doug ain't changing. None of those people at Brookies are changing a thing. And you might actually be able to get a chicken wing or two off of them. Sure, all right, man, have a great weekend, bro you two all right, Steve from Etna waiting in the wings, and we'll talk to him in just a few tendon s Day weekend, celebrating and enjoying some time with you again on a Saturday morning. And always enjoy this fella. A mix of history and current events and incredible insightful commentary every single time from our friend Steve from Edna with news of the week in a pithyphone call. Good morning, my.
Speaker 20: Friend, Good morning Gary. Jeff June was a Civics lesson for all of us. Most of the attention has been on the so called big Beautiful Bill, But I really wonder if almost all the controversy ignores the national debt, which is probably thirty seven trillion. Yes, there is a debate over how much it will grow. What would the attempt to entitle illegals on the one hand, how the effective tax cuts on the other. When Ronald Reagan and Democrat Arthur Lapper, the USC economist, postulated that reducing tax rates actually increases tax revenues, there was some validity to that argument, because there is an incentive for folks to make more money. But the debt kept rising. I suspect the dirty little secret was that the Gipper had to win over some Democrats and did so by throwing some port their way, and we increased the defense budget dramatically in the eighties.
Speaker 7: This is why the estimate of the increase in.
Speaker 20: Our present national debt is on the back burner except in the minds of folks like Rand Pahl, and the circus continues. Democrat House Leader Hakim Jeffreys found a marvelous way to waste time and therefore money.
Speaker 7: He and fellow big.
Speaker 20: Apple politician Chuck Schumer had Senate clerks read about nine hundred and forty pages of the Big Beautiful Bill. It took sixteen hours last weekend but who really wants to get down and dirty on the weekend before the Fourth of July holiday. The amazing aspect of this is that some lawmakers might have actually been listening, and short of reading the damn bill themselves, learned what was actually in it. Maybe they can't read. Earlier in June, former New York Congressman Jamal Bowman, trying to light a fire under his waning political career, took to the far less stage and likened our tax on Iran's nuclear facilities to the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki that ended I stress ended World War Two. The irony of that comparison escape Bowman, since the intent presently was to destroy Iron's ability to end the world better. Yet, Bowman, the firebug who pulled that alarm at the Capitol to fort an upcoming vote, said two hundred and fifty million Japanese died in the two blasts. As Bob Bucker would say, just a little outside, it was about two hundred thousand, and since the imperialist said they would fight till the last Japanese citizen dropped dead, we probably did them a hell of a favor. Those two Japanese cities are doing just fine. News photos are a lot more impressive than what we see presently in say O, Chicago and Detroit.
Speaker 7: By the way, I'm got not suggesting anything.
Speaker 21: And then.
Speaker 20: There's the New York City mayor's race featuring independent Eric Adams who's trying to keep the lid on crime and thirty three year old radical Muslim Zoram Mamdani, who thinks quote billionaires should not exist. Well, hell, the Democrat Party wouldn't exist. Once again, irony rears its ugly head. He wants to raise property taxes on folks end quote the outer boroughs, as though New York has just one inner borough, Manhattan. But wait a minute, that's the home of Wall Street and fancy digs on the East Side and the West Side. Why spare them? Zorum AOC loves them, but her congressional district, excuse me, partially in Queens. That's an outer borrow. And Chuck Schumer lives in Brooklyn, doesn't he? Yeah, you might not have thought that one through. To paraphrase Douglas MacArthur from last week's show, socialism never dies, It just begins to smell really bad. Occasionally, a Supreme Court justice hits the nail on the head. This time, the head was that of Katanji Brown Jackson, who, along with Sonya Sotomayor, made a fool of herself in the birthright citizenship case. Dissenting opinion writing for the majority, Amy Coney Barrett said, and this is a quote. We will not dwell on Justice Jackson's argument, which is at odds with more than two centuries worth of precedents, not to mention the United States Constitution itself, we observe only this Justice Jackson to cries an imperial executive while embracing an imperial judiciary. That was a stinging reference to activist district court judges who think that their opinions should apply to.
Speaker 7: The whole nation.
Speaker 20: Maybe Justice Jackson can get some of Chuck Schumer's set of clerks to read her the Constitution this weekend while she's picnicking.
Speaker 7: Who fought?
Speaker 20: Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to trot out former disgraced Ohio Attorney General Mark Dan to argue that using the unclaimed funds and Columbus to fund stadium projects is, his words, unconstitutional. Dan was so corrupt that fellow Democrats in twenty oh eight took the lead in booting him out of office. When Mark Dan left, three agencies, one of them federal, were still investigating he and his staff. He had managed to install his mistress as his scheduling supervisor, which resulted in a divorce. Who Knew a Top eight was charged with sexual harassment, and the AG's office became a dumping ground for youngstown crooks. It's called vetting. Try it next time, Columbus.
Speaker 7: What's next?
Speaker 20: Joe Biden lectures us on mental health in the workplace. Glory be to God. Oh my goodness, caearage. I hope we can save ourselves. Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: Oh. Not as optimistic as he sometimes is, but realistic, you bet you six fifty three seven underd WLW. It's holiday weekend, so they're going to let me work for Imagine that, Gary, Jeff double Dippin'. Not only this morning until nine o'clock, but tonight from nine pm to midnight. I'll be here with a special holiday weekend night cap. And it is very special, not just because I put it together for you, but the people on it are very special. Included in tonight's guest list a guy named Jerry Dale. If you're not familiar with the name. He was a very, very big in the music business in the nineteen nineties, especially working with artists like Will Smith and Snoop Dogg. Was, you know, full on into the fame and fortune of being in the music industry. Then got into porn and now has discovered Jesus Christ and he has a book out called Music, Porn and Jesus. We will talk about that during the show tonight. Also the gang from VCAST. What is VCAST Veteran Companion Animal Services. They are based originally in Columbus, but they just announced the opening of a Cincinnati chapter and they match up veterans with companion animals from shelters and it is just a wonderful symbiotic kind of thing where the veterans are being helped by these animals and the animals are being helped by the veterans, and they're providing all kinds of services. Find out about that. John Lott, my favorite Second Amendment guy from the Crime Research Prevention could use some of that in Cincinnati from what I understand. John Gordon on patriotism and people's pride in America and how with some it has waned and why and Mighty John Marshall from moneymusic dot Com will wrap things up there on July Top ten list of valuable Vinyl, informative and fun. Tonight Steve Shilte right around the corner this morning on seven hundred WLW in to another hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, July fifth, twenty twenty five. Gara, Jeff and you together again the way God intended it to be on a Saturday morning. Then President Trump get any credit at all for the lower gas prices, he will hear, maybe not other places in the media, but he will hear, Thank you, President Trump. Drill baby, drill. And while we're at let's talk a little more eco stuff with our retired environmental engineer himself, the one, the only, Steve Schulty, my friend. How are you doing this morning?
Speaker 7: Gary, Jeff?
Speaker 10: That is always better than I deserve on this great post. What's the July day?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 1: People should celebrate American Independence every day, don't you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So this morning I got the a couple things.
Speaker 11: H One, this is from my newsletter I Get Access to Energy, although it's from the March twenty five edition. So if you want to look up access to energy accessedenergy dot com on the Internet.
Speaker 1: So this is this is well, let me say this, say March twenty twenty five, so this is essentially old news, but it's news that no one else has covered to this point. So it's news, right.
Speaker 15: Yeah, out, but plus you know they're a little bit behind.
Speaker 10: I just got it this past week.
Speaker 1: No, no, I understand. But what I'm saying is nobody else will do Nobody else is really talking about this, right, But.
Speaker 10: We have the article.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so the article and you and I talked about, we talked about have talks about the benefits of CO two that provides for the increased growth of plants. Yeah, and without CO two in the atmosphere, plants.
Speaker 10: Will die and life as we know it will end?
Speaker 12: Is you and I will die?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: And as well?
Speaker 10: Was there ever a problem with tree shortage? And the answer they say is no.
Speaker 11: In fact, in the US, total timber standing increases by about six hundred pounds per US citizen per year, And they show a grat from the US four Service that.
Speaker 15: In terms of billions of cubic feet.
Speaker 11: Of hardwoods and soft woods between nineteen fifty and the year two thousand the US forest increased by forty percent, not four percent, forty percent. So I thought, well, what else is out there? So I've got on the internet looked the US Forest Service. I found some kind of interesting. He says, since the year nineteen hundred, forest area in the US has remained statistically within seven hundred and forty five million acres plus or minus five percent, with the lowest point in nineteen twenty with about seven hundred.
Speaker 10: And thirty five million acres.
Speaker 11: Then in nineteen and year two thousand they estimate was up again to seven hundred and forty nine million acres plus or minus five percent.
Speaker 1: So we're not losing our forest.
Speaker 10: We're not losing We're not not losing on our forest. They're growing.
Speaker 11: And so even I even stole something from the good old UN okay, which you'll usually give us bad news about the Earth, but the UN Food and the Culture Organization estimates our US force are growing at a rate of zero point zero three percent each year.
Speaker 10: Not great grid, but it is positive growth.
Speaker 11: So my my take from all this and what else I read is if we want a greener US and a greener Earth, thank carbon dioxide CO two.
Speaker 1: The miracle molecule baby. And also you were you were mentioning or you had mentioned that that data centers and with AI, there are more and more of these data centers and they are they are choosing gas power plants more often because they're most efficient and provide the energy that they need that is sustainable. There's that word again, so data centers. And again here on the advent of AI, there's going to be so much energy required to power these places, but they all go ahead.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 11: This comes from building design and construction of June twenty third headline guests. Power plants are being built exclusively for data centers. This basically is about Texas, Texas and data center in Texas building its own power plant.
Speaker 15: It's big enough the power a major city at one thousand, two.
Speaker 11: Hundred megawatts, fueled by West Texas shale oil oil. Uh so if you supply itself as possibly some other data centers.
Speaker 10: And what the thing is, what's driving the.
Speaker 11: Environmental wactos on the climate alarmist nuts is that the widespread assumption was this power generation for new data centers would be facilitied by so called renewable energy wind, solar, and power. But if my edition to that is the reason data centers are not looking at wind solar or battery power is that it's number one costly and number two and most importantly the unreliability of wind solar and battery power that still needs to have backup power to have the reliability.
Speaker 10: And one thing these data centers use needs very much, Gary Jeff is number one reliability.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. And that's the thing you can't afford, and they cannot afford to have a power outage. And and gas power plants are are more reliable and ready to answer the call than any other form of energy that we have right now. Steve SCHULTI thank you as always, my friend, have a wonderful rest of your Independence Day weekend. Here he is seven hundred w l W in seventy I used to do killer Casey casem Gary Jeff Caseam back in the day. Anyway, Yeah, I put that away in a well. You know, here's the thing. When he died, it just wasn't as much fun anymore. I tell you, what's always fun for me is to talk to this guy because he knows about things I have absolutely zero knowledge of, completely, especially when it comes to the latest tech news and things to watch out for our it guy Doomsday. Dave Hatter with the aluminum foil hat on his head and Tech Talk on a Saturday morning. Good morning, mister Hatter, how are we?
Speaker 5: I'm good, Gary, Jeff, how are you good?
Speaker 1: Enjoying the holiday weekend, sir?
Speaker 5: I am, but I was enjoying your led Zeppelin bump there. All of My Love is a classic album, is a masterpiece, I agree, underrated by people.
Speaker 12: I love it.
Speaker 7: It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Well, fantastic. I'm glad that you enjoyed the bumper music. For some people, it's just like I don't know, sitting in a dentist office or in an elevators somewhere. But so what are we? What are we focusing on this morning in the cyber world and in the world that you dwell in as as a as a code writer and as a computer expert at Intrust Media. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Well, one thing I would tell people if you use Google Chrome, which I would recommend that you stop and get a privacy.
Speaker 7: Friendly browser like Brave or Safari or something.
Speaker 5: But if you use Chrome, there's some recent updates for some critical updates, so you should update Chrome a lot of people will ask me, well, how do I do that? You know, if you open your browser in the upper right hand corner, there's a little three dot menu there. If you go to help or if you pull that down and you go to like about Chrome.
Speaker 10: From there, you'll have.
Speaker 5: An option to update it. It should automatically update at some point, but it's a pretty serious bug, so you should update Chrome. So that would be one thing. But again, Gary Jeff, I would tell you that you better off if you don't use things from our friends to Google and you focus on privacy friendly solutions like again Brave or Tour or Firefox or Safari or something like that. So update, update your browser. That's always a good thing to do. And you know, keeping yourself or updated is pretty critical. And then you know, the AI topic continues to sort of dominate. Everywhere you look. People are talking about AI. And it's really interesting to me, Gary Jeff, because you've got such a wide range of opinions on this. You know, there's all this talk about how it's going to take all these jobs and so forth, and I'm not saying to you that will never happen, But what I am saying is having you know, used it very extensively myself, and it has its place. There's a lot of practical applications and things like rock or chat GPT, and then you've got this whole field of augentic AI, which is the idea that rather than you having to sit down and directly interact with it to get it to do anything, you can just sort of ask it to do something and it will just do it in the background on its own, you know. But then there's there's all kinds of people on the other side of this pointing out that these things have all kinds of problems. For example, there was a recent study done by Anthropic. They're one of the big big players in the game. They make Claude and it's it's really interesting when you read this headline which says that their AI will basically lie, cheat and steal to reach certain goals. And apparently during part of this testing, it tried to blackmail one of the engineers because it added access to their information and discover that apparently he was having an affair.
Speaker 7: So it's you know, when you have this whole situation of hallucination.
Speaker 5: Right, that's one of the big problems with AI in general. It just makes stuff up, and now you find that it will make stuff up because it doesn't want you to do something or whatever. It will sort of confidently tell you that's something is false. You know, How can you trust your business to that?
Speaker 7: And that's one of the things.
Speaker 5: Again, there's so much hype about how this is going to revolutionize everything and everyone's going to lose their job. And my opinion increasingly is yes, that may happen at some future point, but this stuff, there's a lot of hype, and there's still an enormous amount of problems with us, and I don't think we're all going to lose our jobs or be wiped out anytime.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 1: Well, that is reassuring.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 1: Usually I come away from these conversations and I'm just frightened as hell, And this morning I'm slightly encouraged.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Dave, always my pleasure here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, take care, Dave Hatter with us this morning, seven hundred WLW. Time for the Tom Davis Diaries. I like to refer to these as the you know, the drill, wild, wacky, weird stories from around the country and around the world with our correspondent Tom Davis.
Speaker 22: Good morning, Gary, Jay, It's good to be back. This week, we're all just one big foot away from true love. But first, a New York family is in the legal battle of their lives, trying to hang on to their emotional support. Pig Lucy is fifteen years old and may be taken away under a law in the Empire State banning pet pigs. Over eleven thousand people assigned a petition saying that Lucy the pig should stay with the family. A new drink at Buffalo Wild Wings is trending. The Mountain Dew Riddler is half mountain dew and half beer. It's similar to a Bavarian brew that mixes beer and lemonade. It all sounds disgusting, but at four bucks, it's worth a shot. Get it shot, Yeah, drinks, got it bar beer. Meanwhile, Michael O'Neill just pleaded not guilty to a charge of possession in a Florida court. This after a nurse pulled out drug paraphernalia from between his butt cheeks. Michael says he's an innocent man, but this is not the first time he's been cut with a full storage compartment. And finally, when you look back on your wedding day, do you see giant footprints. Christy Chafin and Ron Hughes recently tied the knot at the twenty twenty five West Virginia Bigfoot Festival.
Speaker 1: They actually met at a prior Bigfoot get together and.
Speaker 22: Got engaged while celebrating everyone's favorite elusive Harry Beast. At another occasion, the man who married them was dressed as a sasquatch, with the added bonus of wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Very touching. We wish them the best in life, love and hunting giant woodland beasts. Next week, New York City woman making a good living taking tourists on rat tours have a great Fourth of July.
Speaker 1: It's called the Giants. Clam Boy, you just went into another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, July the fifth, twenty twenty five. Happy Birthday, America, And if it's your birthday, well, happy birthday you. Isn't that cool to be born on the fifth of July? A Yankee doodle almost dandy, as we like to say. It's a time at eight o seven for a science minute and science Mike. Who's a dandy anytime of the year. Yes, as a night of scientist get surprising all blinding me with Hello, Dandy, Mike, Gary Jeffer, you got double duty today? Yes, yeah, I gotta gotta show tonight from nine to midnight.
Speaker 19: Let's talk about Uh, let's talk about Brookies, okay, and are you getting a ticket?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm gonna be down there tomorrow, uh playing music with Chris Gohens from two to four in the afternoon, and I will purchase my ticket. Then, Uh, you can buy a ticket anytime leading up to it, as long as they're selling tickets and that I understand that they are again today and they will be tomorrow and right up until the drawing on Wednesday night. Well, I think it's the cutoff is like ten after seven on Wednesday. They're drawing about seven thirty.
Speaker 19: So they let's talk about the probability of how this whole thing evolved, right, so that it was a fifty four card deck, right, So yeah, yep, So let's.
Speaker 7: Just talk off the very beginning.
Speaker 19: I assume they you can tell me, actually give me the better guess of numbers the ticket sales, but when it first started.
Speaker 15: So I assume they sold let's say they sold five.
Speaker 19: Hundred tickets, Okay, And so you look at the probability of first, first you have to get your ticket drawn picked, and then you have to go ahead and pick the Queen of Hearts out of the fifty four decks. So that's one out of five hundred times one out of fifty four. And they're mutually what they call mutually exclusive events. So having those two multiplied together, they're starting.
Speaker 7: Off the.
Speaker 21: Chance.
Speaker 19: It's three point seven times ten to the minus fifth. That's the probability of picking out the Queen of Herts when the game first started, which is really amazingly low. So now, how many tickets do you think they have they'll sell for the Wednesday?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, no idea mine.
Speaker 19: It's just yeah, So I just ran two numbers, so you say they sell ten thousand tickets, and now you're only picking one out of four cards, right, so there's only four cards left, So that's two times ten to the minus fifth. That's the chance of the probability of you getting the getting up to the being able to be allowed to pick the right card. And then if they sold five hundred thousand tickets, which I don't know how they would do that, but it'd be five times ten to the minus seventh.
Speaker 7: So this whole thing when it starts.
Speaker 19: I mean, you ever realize how low the probability is of even just winning it right off? I mean, it's just it's just amazing. There are more things that that draw out to get this this hijackpot. And I heard you the beginning of talking about all the shows, the TV shows and everything like that and that that are now Brookies and is like their number one draw for ratings.
Speaker 7: Yea, even even even the station we're talking on.
Speaker 19: It's like the doesn't they don't mention anything about how you were, like you know, always in their no you.
Speaker 1: Know, look, luck of the draw. This place has kind of fell into my lap thanks to Doug Bnson and then the people that I met out there, and from Lisa to Jerry Jones to the Green Hornet, to Darren brook Bank, the owner of Brookies Buzz and all these people, these characters that appear on the radio in my little radio Mayberry World here of Saturday morning and then you know, the Queen of Hearts started and we went through one drawing with them, you know, and they'd promote it when they were on on Saturday morning and they'd got to about two hundred and fifty thousand before it got hit, and then this one started. And it's been almost a year that I've been talking with them about the Queen of Hearts, and now all of a sudden, the media focus of Cincinnati is on Ripley, Ohio and Brookies and the Queen of Hearts. And what an amazing thing that's turned into. Well, I know where it started. I know what originally drove those people there, and a big part of it was them being on the radio with me every Saturday morning. So I'm gonna take a little bit of cred, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yes, sir, I would too.
Speaker 1: Uh So anyway, uh but anyway, it's it's gonna be it's gonna be huge, and they're gonna draw till they get a winter. On Wednesday, they're.
Speaker 19: Done, right, I imagine Thursday, there's gonna be a lot of people staying and sleeping late.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't, I would imagine. So, And if you're not there and you've got a ticket in it's your name and you have the Queen of Hearts, it's half so I mean half of one point one point five million after taxes ain't too shabby either.
Speaker 7: Good luck A Jeff, you too.
Speaker 1: See you science Mike on a Saturday morning, thirteen minutes after the out time, and let's go to Brother Rick Green for the word of God on a Saturday morning. Brother Rick, good morning, God bless you, and I hope you're enjoying that you join the holiday weekend.
Speaker 16: Brother.
Speaker 21: Most definitely.
Speaker 1: I'm out back.
Speaker 21: I'm planning some flowers in the backyard, and I woke up praying for you and your listeners.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 7: And today we have.
Speaker 21: Psalms thirty for one verse eight it says, taste to see the Lord is good blester, the one who takes rescue in him. Amen.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 21: I love that, Harry, because I don't know where else I would go if it wasn't for God.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Psalms is so beautiful too, the whole book is beautiful.
Speaker 21: I truly have no other answer. I'm just thankful for His great and mercy and allowing us to seek him.
Speaker 1: Amen. That's right. It is a privilege to be able to to be able to seek God out and to enjoy his grace and his mercy and all of the.
Speaker 21: World which we would all take advantage of.
Speaker 7: That Gary, I truly do.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's real easy to do. It really is. We make we make it harder than it should be. Yeah, because we put we put all kinds of things in front of God. When when when nothing, nothing happens without Him? And so why would would we give him the glory for everything in our lives to begin with? Because that's the only reason that we have anything good?
Speaker 21: You know there is any All these shiny distractions twenty four to seven all around us, and they catch our attention. Yeah, all these shine and that's what they are, their distraction.
Speaker 1: We're like toddlers.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they de gd to keep you from the truth. I hope you will wake up. We'll truck Stefan over there.
Speaker 7: It took me a while. It wasn't overnight.
Speaker 1: No, it's an ongoing process, believe me. Brother, Thank you so much for being a part of this show and being a part of my life. And thank you for spreading the word of God with us on Saturday morning on these fifty thousand watts. Brother God, bless you well, welcome. I have a blessed per all right, take care that Teresa is on the line, that Teresa, how are you doing, my dear.
Speaker 14: I am finer than two thousand, great ultra fine stand paper today, My good man, how the heck are you?
Speaker 7: Gary Jeff?
Speaker 1: It sounds almost painful. What's going on?
Speaker 7: No, it's fine stand paper, honey, as low as you any. But he doesn't matter.
Speaker 14: Hello Chris, the two point of Hello, Frankie the fabulous Feline.
Speaker 7: I said it right this week. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 14: You know in South Carolina. I'm going to steal a line from How to Marry a Millionaire in nineteen.
Speaker 7: Fifty three with Lauren Bacall shots.
Speaker 14: He said, here's how care they don't She's gonna marry a millionaire? She says about William Powell, the man that she's after.
Speaker 3: He's so rich.
Speaker 14: He refers to his money. Here in South Carolina, we're so hot. We refer to the weather. We don't talk about the weather. We refer to the weather. Sir, I digress. Did you know that your shoe is the spiritual island of misspit Toys. You are the lion with the wings in the crown, and Miss Lynette is the doll, Mo is the train with the square wheels. Jim Let Barbara is the Charlie in a box Science, Mike's the airplane, and Dick from Dayton is the elephant and the rest are upper grabs.
Speaker 7: I need a cigarette after last week's show, How about you?
Speaker 14: And I haven't smoked since February twenty eight. Today's word is pandemonium.
Speaker 7: What am I creating?
Speaker 4: Pandemonium?
Speaker 14: It's a state of uproar wild up or chao for confusion, loud noises.
Speaker 1: That's me, God, bless you, I love you, I love you. I wonder which misfit toy she is or did she tell me it's so hard to follow? Uh, We'll take a break and come right back.
Speaker 23: Is another hot one across the Tri State as that he continues to build in the low nineties today, but it feels like temperatsu are close to one hundred. Mostly hot and dry, however, will have isolated storm chances late in the day on Sunday. From your Severe Weather station. I'm nine first one of meteorologists KJJ listening to radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW Sport. Sean McMahon is in today. Well we got shohnny Hi.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well we Red's won yesterday nine to six in their first game against the Phillies on Independence Day, marking their fourth straight win on that American Holiday, Andrew Rabbid three point one innings, pitch, nine hits, four runs allowed to off the bat of former Red Nick Costianos. Today four oh five, first pitch three oh five begins our coverage here on the Big One seven hundred WLW, Nick Lodolo on the Mount, and Joey Chestnut nabbing his seventeenth title at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.
Speaker 1: He ate seventy point five yesterday. It's a lot of dogs, a lot that's a.
Speaker 10: Lot of dolls.
Speaker 1: Huey Lewis's birthday today. You may have heard on Rock and Roll Archaeology that earlier with Jim's from but he's one of my faves. It's someding dessl by working with him.
Speaker 10: A damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Speaker 1: I'm supposed to get who is next week? No, damn well, i won't wl W world's lowest wages. So I'm gonna bore my wife because she's heard the story numerous times and you may have heard me tell it before. But one of the reasons Huey Lewis and then is one of my favorite artists is because he's such a down to Earth Guy, and it's sad that, as Jim was mentioning earlier this morning, hearing problems, an inner ear problem has rendered him basically moote mute, rather mute voiceless. The last couple of years, he can't sing, and that's a shame because he had such great, great voice, great rock and roll voice. But back in the day when they were at the height of their popularity, almost forty years ago. I'm flashing back to nineteen eighty six when i was working in Nashville, Tennessee, and I'm doing afternoons, and I'm backstage at the Huey Lewis and the News before the Huey Lewis in the News concert, and I was going to meet I'm doing my show a remote from backstage, doing afternoons. It's about four thirty in the afternoon, and I'm going to meet winners that had won backstage passes for meet and greet with the band and tickets to the show that night. But I'm doing my show from backstage, and all of a sudden, it's about four point thirty in the afternoon. Out from behind the stage walks this sky can't tell it because the son is like silhouetting him. I can't see the face, and I'm thinking, oh, this is a security guard or a stage manager telling me I got to move because I noticed they were setting up a table in back of me while I'm doing my show and I'm up next to the gate. It's Huey Lewis. I'm like stunned. I didn't expect this, and he said, I said, you're from the radio station. He said yeah. I said, yeah, do you need me to move? I noticed you guys are doing it. No, no, we're getting ready to have our pre concert meal. I just wanted to know if you'd want to join us. Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks. So I'm doing my show eating with Huey Lewis and the News and the Tower of Power horns, and years later I would see him. But when the bloom was kind of like off, the Huey Lewis and the News rose and they weren't as at the top of their game, and he still remembered my name and was just one of the most gracious guys in the world. So happy birthday again to Hughey's I he was Clegg, Hugh Clegg Junior. This is really anyway, He's seventy five today, and I hope he's enjoying it wherever he is and whatever he's doing. Good morning, kids time Boll gives from Waldy modern medicine miracles. The old man in his mid eighties struggles to get up from his couch and starts to put on his coat. His wife watching this, asks well, where are you going? He said, I'm going to the doctor. She said, I didn't know you're feeling bad? Are you sick? He said, nope, I'm gonna get me some of that Viagara's stuff. Immediately she starts rustling and working and try to get out of her rocking chair and starts to put on her and the old man says, well, where are you going? Said one? Going to the doctor too? Said well, what's wrong with you? She said, If you're going to start using that rusty old thing, I'm getting a tetanus shot. Oh just bugging in down the road on a Saturday morning. Here on seven hundred WLW Gary, you have Saturday Morning edition. I'm the reason the Queen of Hearts is that damn big in Ripley, not Channel five, not Channel twelve. All this other media hogging my spotlight, taking my people away from me. That have been a part of my life and this show for the last seven years, and we still love them and we'll be out there tomorrow. Right now, we're turning our attention to the wide world of what in the wide world of sports is going on here anyway?
Speaker 7: Hey mo, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: Doing fine? I gotta ask you that kind of had a quasi debate earlier with Sean McMahon, who decided to include the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest and Joey Chestnuts continued dominance of that. Like like Ken Jennings in a Jeopardy hot tub, he continues to bubble on but whether whether that in fact, whether competitive eating is in fact a sport or not. And I'd like your thoughts on this.
Speaker 7: Well, if it is a sport, it's not one that I want to watch.
Speaker 18: No.
Speaker 7: No, that makes me sick to my stomach watching people eat that way. Uh, So I'll say no, okay to me. To me, a sport is something that you have done in Jim class. Uh And where I grew up, we didn't have competitive eating and Jim class. So I'm gonna say no. Now, does it require some degree of physical acumen? I suppose it's just not something I want to watch. I I the idea of watching someone eat a million hot dogs and a finite amount of time is vomited inducing.
Speaker 1: What if they're what if they're eating, they're not eating?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Just watching people eat in general is not probably one of my preferred pastimes. I would say, but there are people who do it eloquently, I think, and and they're there or elegantly would be the more proper word. And and there are people with good table manners that I could watch eat. But you're right that form of eating is not exactly conducive to keeping what's in your stomach in there. I would concur with you absolutely.
Speaker 7: If I've got if I'm going to play the food in front of me, I have no problem sitting across from someone watching them beat. But has a general rule watching someone eat hard paths. But I there was a U and Joey Chestnut was there. There was a hot dog eating contest at October Vesincinnati one year, Yeah, and I went to it. I didn't participate in it, but I went to it. And after about three minutes of watching people do that, I literally got sick to my stomach and just said like this is this is disgusting.
Speaker 1: So and yet it's a big deal, and yet they put it on television.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure it does quite well.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 7: I mean, you can you could bet on it.
Speaker 10: You could go to a sports.
Speaker 7: Book, an online sports book and bet on bet on not only the result, but whether or not Joey Chestnut was going to break the record, the over under, how many hot dogs he was going to eat, the over under for hot dogs and the other competitors.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a bet? Do you think there's a wager on whether somebody actually hurls in the middle of it?
Speaker 7: Probably? Yeah, had I watched it, I would have led in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, very very nice. We're also at that time of the year where, I mean, there is plenty going on. We're in the heart of summer, We're just before the All Star break in Major League Baseball, and training camps will be starting soon. And but one of those events that people don't really a lot of people don't pay attention to unless they're Dave Keaton any other time of the year, Wimbledon is going on right now, and it's probably kind of would would you equate tennis kind of like with horse racing. For you, is it one of those sports that you may pay more attention to during an event like Wimbledon, Like we've talked before about the Triple Crown and the Kentucky Derby and stuff. Yeah, for that weekend you're kind of into it? Or are you more into tennis all the time?
Speaker 7: I want to be into tennis all the time. There's just not enough room on the plate for all the sports I really like. Because I really like the sport, I don't follow it as closely as I did when I was a kid, But you know, to me, number one, there's something really cool about breakfast and Wimbledon. I always like it when you get out of bed and there's live sports on, So you get that. Number two, Our tournament to Cincinnati Open is coming up here a few weeks is awesome and bigger and better, and it's going to be over two weeks, and so I kind of get into it then. And the neck, you know, just bleeds right into the US Open, which is just an awesome event, one that I've been lucky enough to attend. But you know, the week in and week out of the ATP or WTA Tour, I don't follow the way I used to, and part of that is, at least to a degree, on the men's side, kind of a dearth of American, you know, great American men's tennis players. I'm hoping that Ben Shelton, who's the guy we've had on our show, could could maybe change that a little bit. But it's a sport that I love in a like a great high stakes tennis match that can at times last four or five hours, like the front ch Open final is really hard to beat. I just don't follow the sport to the degree that I did when I was younger, but I still really like it.
Speaker 1: I love watching Djokovic just because he is so He's just so animated, and he's just like all there, all out there, right in your face with everything, and he's been very successful to ted. But you know, I harken back, and I'm gonna sound like the old man that I've become now. I harken back, like to the nineteen eighty six US Open and Jimmy Connor's final hurrah heroically going up against McEnroe. It's all about the names in tennis, and you're right, there, aren't There is a dearth of great American tennis players for us to follow in this country. Plenty of players, but still dominant players that everybody can kind of relate to. And it's it's kind of like it's kind of like golf was after Tiger and now they've been some some names to kind of replace Tiger in professional golf. Would you agree, no question?
Speaker 7: And I think what Tiger Woods did is he made people interested in golf watching it, but I think he made people interested in playing it. And so I think you now have you know a couple of generations of people who are into golf and watching them because they play it. I know, you know, obviously a lot of people who play I don't know that many people who play tennis. I know a lot of people who play pick a ball, but I don't know that many people who who play tennis. But yeah, you're right. I mean when I grew up, you know, I grew up watching the tail end of John McEnroe's career. I remember Jimmy Connor's last US Open when he beat Aaron Krickstein, I think in the quarterfinals to take at the age of thirty nine, advanced to advanced to the semi finals. Maybe wasn't that old? But yeah, there aren't those dominant names that just sort of transcend that everybody is familiar with. And I think that that obviously is something the sport on both the men's and women's side could badly use.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of like another sport that's like that is professional boxing, which has now been surpassed. Yeah, you know, surpassed by m m A and UFC as far as people watching pugilistic efforts, you know, and people being just pummeled inside a ring or inside a octagon as the case may be. But you know that when we had the big names like Muhammad Ali and George Foreman and you know this and Joe Frasier in all of those great names, then there was a natural national interest in professional boxing, and it's just not there anymore because there's nobody knows anybody.
Speaker 7: Well, think about it. The biggest boxing match in this country, and I'll I guess the world over the last year involved a retired fighter and a YouTube guy. Yep, right, the Mike Tyson fight on Netflix back in November. Now, that was a spectacle and I'm not going to pretend that I didn't watch it, but to me, it's a pretty damning Indeamond against her sport when the biggest event, the one that drew the most people and brought the most people to the party, is one that involves a guy who's not a sanctioned fighter, although I guess he is now and one who you know was Gonna Tada thirty years ago, you know. So that's but you know, for for much of the twentieth century, whoever the world heavyweight champion was at the time was like the most famous person on the world in the world, right, like everybody knew who that was. That hasn't been the case for a long long time.
Speaker 1: The reds on the Road in philadelp and this club continues to you know, we talk about this almost on a weekly basis, of the bounce back and forth between five hundred just a few games over just a few games under uh that there still seems to be a seed change that has happened in the last couple of weeks. And I think we discussed this the last time we talked about it, MO. But Eli de la Cruz continues to deliver in points where he would be striking out at crucial times, and he still does that. But is there has there been any more talk because I keep on hearing my friend Greg, who just harps on this all the time. He realizes that Elie de la Cruz is a star and will be of an even bigger star if he continues to progress, but he wants to move to the outfield. And I can't say that that I disagree with that. I the more I see from Ellie de la Cruz, with the arm he's got and the speed he's got, now we've got I mean TJ. Friedel is great. Will Benson plays pretty good right field when he's in the game, But I mean, is it time to finally move him out of the infield.
Speaker 7: It's a great question, and it's one that I will admit that I don't go back and forth on, but that I see both sides of. And so to me, there's two answers to it. Number One, the answer right now is no, you're not going to put him in center field today because he's literally never played the position at the professional level, and so if the idea is throw him out there in center field, well that's going to be a disaster. You have to give you have to give athletes, You have to give players a chance to learn a position. Ellie's not played center field, so if it's throw him out there and just see how he does. No, not with the team in the middle of a playoff. Fine, Now if you decided for a variety of factors, one being we have another shortstop who could play the position better, the other being Elliott shortstop still makes too many errors, and the other being his considerable, considerable athletic trades would really play well out in the outfield. And you decided we're going to start spring training by teaching him how to play the position, then I think that idea obviously has a lot of merit because I think you and I have talked about this. You see the amount of ground he covers at shortstop, and it's breasttaking, and you cannot imagine, you know what, you start to imagine what that would look like with him going, you know, from centerfield to less center field, from centerfield to right center field, that sort of thing. I know there are a lot of people who feel like, ultimately he's better suited to play out in the outfield one day, but they've also invested a lot in him in playing shortstop, and he can do some things to shortstop that absolutely dazzle, and that's considered the sport's most important position. I think it'll be interesting as his career unfolds. You know, Number one, he has never stated a desire to play center field. So you know for people who are like, well, look, they have to do everything they can to keep Ellie Dela Cruz, well, then what you don't do is put him in a position that he doesn't want to play. So I think it's a fair question, and I think it'll be interesting as his career unfolds to see if any real serious thought is given to that. Now they need somebody else to play shortstop. They have some prospects in their system they're very high on, and so you know that might force their issue, or maybe Ellie decides I want to try it, and so we'll put him out there in center field. But I certainly believe it's an idea that has merit. I hear from people every time he makes an error it short and sometimes him throwing can be an adventure that go, you know, we'll throw him out there in the outfield. You don't do that. You don't do that blindly. You do that with some training, And that obviously would have to happen in goodyear.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for fulfilling that much space with that answer.
Speaker 5: Mo.
Speaker 1: So the short answer would be this year, no, next year maybe, right, Yeah, but the Reds aren't just aren't just tread and water. It seems like, you know, they're the only team in the Major League that hasn't been swept in a series this year still, and they won the first game in Philly, So we'll see what they do this afternoon. Are you optimistic?
Speaker 7: Very optimistic, because you know, there are a lot of comparisons between this year's team and the team two years ago. And the team two years ago was a lot of fun, but the team two years ago had this huge crater in the middle of it was the starting pitching. If you knew at some point it was going to catch up to him. That's not the case this year. And not that they don't have whole to fill, but they don't have this overwhelming weakness. I think you can maybe argue offensively against left handed pitching that's maybe going to catch up to them. But I am optimistic. Their better players are starting to perform like they're better players. Andrew Abbotts start yesterday. Aside starting pitching, is a bit terrific. Hunter Green is trending toward coming back here right after the All Star break. The schedule is about to get a little favorable, even though the Miami Marlins have played well recently here before the All Star break, and they've got some prospect capital they can use to make trades to get better. I am optimistic. I think this team is good enough to at least hang in the race for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and if you eat a hot dog, take your time, I will, thanks, counselor what's going on?
Speaker 7: Brother?
Speaker 1: I just think that was really good advice. You just gave him. Take your time, you know, just the usual stuff with me. Had a good July holiday. What about you went out to the river camp and Patriot of the Pasqually clan, the brothers Pisqually invited us out and we spent the afternoon out there. It was very relaxing. Chris the two point oh and I and all the family out there and beautiful scenic yeah, Ohio river Oh yeah, great, great set underneath a big shade tree around the big table, and just had fun.
Speaker 18: You can't beat that. No, what's on the show min Well, here's what I got, good news. I just I can't get enough of this.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 1: Donald J.
Speaker 18: Trump tagging CBS to the tune of sixteen million dollars. I sued them for them doctoring Kamala's interview for sixty minutes. Very good, sixteen million plus. The TV news ratings are out this week and it is a bloodbath for the legacy media. You gotta love that. Gonna talk to Linda Matthews. She is a Republican running for city council, the only one. And then now we're going to talk to Greg Stanley of Komy and Shepherd about what's going on in the local real estate mark.
Speaker 1: After the show, show at Huddles Cafe. You're out on the holiday weekend. This is a brand new thing for me. This is my first time at Huddles on a Saturday. This month, five thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: That's the average amount of money people in the US are now spending on gas.