Speaker 1: Seven oh six fifty five Karised Talk station. Hope you have an happy Monday, as is always the case. Former Vice Mayor of the City of Cincinnati, Christopher Smithman with an advanced morning to me over the weekend via text. Uh, he's really ginned up and fired up and ready to launch this morning in between now and then, And I'm not sure what he's going to talk about, but something tells me it may be the violence going on in downtown Cincinnati. Joining the program this morning, Welcome back, Fokey, President the Federal Order Police Chapter sixty nine for the Sincinni Police Department. Ken cober Or, President, Welcome back, Ken. It's always great to have you on the program.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Do you start out this morning? One thirty this morning, Hutchins Avenue, Reading Road to abdel We have someone killed in a shooting going back, just looking at the headlines. Two teens injured in a West End shooting happened on Sunday morning. Three people hospitalized after a shooting near the banks happened on Saturday morning. Police investigating incident believed to involve shots fired at officers in Westwood happened Saturday night, got a winon hill shooting police investigating that was happened Saturday night as well. I mean, the list is almost endless, and it seems to be getting worse. Ken Cobert, your reaction, and plus the list that Joe Strecker compared he got from the since A Police department showing all of the assaults, thefts, and other arrests that happened, mostly like in the central business district of Downtown over the past several days leading up to the fourth of July holiday weekend. I mean, this is crazy, Ken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, let's not forget too On fourth of July, we had a two police officers that were shot at that after watching the video, one of them especially is absolutely lucky to be alive. I mean, by the grace of God, he didn't get hit by some day. It was almost almost point blank range. Wow.
Speaker 1: And where did that happen?
Speaker 2: That was on Western Norman Boulevard, an apartment complex, investigating a US passing complaint. Oh my god, violent, violent weekend. I talked to two ulcers yesterday, both of them been on more than twenty years. They said this weekend has been the worst weekend they've worked in their careers, the violence, the droves of kids unsupervised, you know, just creating absolute mayhem. At one point would have been Sunday morning, the District four was calling for standby cars meeting. They needed more cars to help them because nearly every third shift car was at the jail with the prisoner.
Speaker 1: Oh my lord, and you're short on numbers too. And it can't be understated that we don't have enough police officers out there. And the police officers that are out there are working substantial overtime hours. So what would you expect. Jostrecker told me the Indianapolis had a violent weekend and the mayor there immediately instituted a curfew.
Speaker 2: We do it.
Speaker 1: We talked about this before. There is a curfew, is there not for young people in downtown Cincinnati, Ken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are absolutely a curfew. And like I said, using District four as an example, you know that they can't arrest their way out of this problem when you have nine or ten cops that are encountering three hundred juveniles. Yeah, there's only so much that you can do, you know. It's just the violence is absolutely just out of control in the city. Like I said, you use Indianapolis as another example. You know, they had seven people shot and two murdered in one incident. You know, homicide after homicide after homicide in Cincinnati. This stuff is just out of control.
Speaker 1: Well, if you could have your way, I mean, what do we have by way of solutions that are out there? I mean, if enforcing the curfew, could we hold parents accountable? I mean, you have to enforce the curfew, bring the kid in front of some judicial authority, obviously to get their parents involved. And then why did you let your kid out pass curfew hours? And maybe get some answers from parents who maybe absent here just really don't care. I mean, Lord Almighty, I consider my life growing up. My folks need to know where I was all the time. And you know, you need to ask permission to be out past a certain curfew hour. And if you didn't ask for mission, you're going to get in a world to hurt when you finally got home. I mean that kept me out of trouble for the most part anyway.
Speaker 2: Sure, but you know it's a good point bringing up the judicial system. I know, well, the juveniles I got arrested at Red Went and Blue Ash, you know, Friday night from throwing fireworks in a crowd of people.
Speaker 1: The video it's so disturbing.
Speaker 2: Right, was arrested Saturday morning at juvenile court. A magistrate dismissed the charges. This is the This is part of the problem that we're dealing with is we can't arrest our way out of this problem. And when you do make arrest, you have magistrates in the juvenile court system that just decided that I don't like this charge, so they dismiss it. So, you know, only one part of the justice system seems to be working right now, and that's never going to fix things. Now.
Speaker 1: We had a prosecutor there willing to move forward and prosecute the charges, and yet the judge just said, no, no, exercising my discretion. I'm just checking this case out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I my understanding. I believe the prosecutor's office is likely going to appeal this decision. Yeah, But like I said, you have kids that get arrested, the police do the right thing, only for them to be let back out. It's no wonder that we're having a problem with all these juveniles, not only here in Hamilton County, but across the country because this is a problem everywhere in every major city.
Speaker 1: Well, and if I was in Mayor Aftab Purvoll's place or as one of the council members, I would out loud say something about that, say listen. In order to bring about some safety and some comfort for the citizens of Cincinnati and some relief from this epic youth violence problem. I am calling upon magistrates and everybody involved in the judicial system, from prosecutors through the judges on all levels, to start taking these crimes seriously and not throwing them out. The silence from the council and elected officials, including the mayor is deafening, is it not, Ken?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely. I mean said, not only have you had all this violence, you had two give police officers shot at back to back days. Yeah. Absolutely, nothing from elected officials. Nothing.
Speaker 1: That's heartbreaking, Ken, it really is, you feel, I mean, we all feel so let down about it. It's almost it's it's tacit approval. If they're not out loud screaming about the violence and demanding answers and demanding accountability and demanding prosecutions, then they're silence. I think shows support indirect or tasked support for the violence that's going on. In other words, kids, keep it up because nothing is going to happen to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to be quite honest, the cops are fed up with it. They're done with it. You know, the every weekend you have cops working Friday and Saturday nights with SWAT, CDRT. You're working over time. It's going to come to a breaking point where cops are just going to say, I'm not doing it anymore. I'm wasting my time, I'm not doing it anymore. And then what's That's when that's when things are really going to get bad. As if it's not bad enough already.
Speaker 1: Are the number of officers planning on retiring or taking early retirement or just basically dropping out of law enforcement? Do you get any indications those numbers are going up right now? Are they getting warse sure?
Speaker 2: I mean it's weekly. We're losing people weekly. That just that the people that weren't even really on the radar, if you will, of Hey, I'm going to retire. I got a classmate of mine that just said I'm out, I'm done, and he's yeah, I think the end of this month, he's done. He's not staying for the you know, the drop program. He's like I've had enough on out.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, in terms of lateral hires, and I know the Council has taken steps to try to bring more lateral hires and officers that have experienced some other law enforcement. It's a shorter window of training, not like a brand new cadet class, and those are in line too. But I mean, if it's bad, that bad morale wise, and from an officer considering employment of the insane Police Department, here's about this, Like wait a minute, I'm gonna be out there putting my life on the line, spinning my wheels, and they're going to get just freed by the justice system because well the magistrates, you don't think it's a legitimate charge. What's the point I'm gonna I'm gonna go in with a bad taste in my mouth as a potential employee.
Speaker 2: Well, because it's going on in every department around this country, to be quite honest. So I think they're they're looking at it as the financial benefit of coming here, because you're going to do pretty well. I mean, over time is so readily available, you can make as much money as you want. And I think that's what a lot of officers are going to be coming here.
Speaker 1: For well, at least, I guess that's one bright spot in the whole equation. We have officers that are still willing to work for this insane police department. But it's real, it's heartbreaking to know that this is happening broadly and across our country. Of course, I can only blame the Democrats for their anti police policies, and of course all the liberal prosecutors and liberal judges that they put in place in these various blue cities. They're getting what they're asking for, it seems, Ken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's absolutely disgusting that you don't have elected officials speaking out against his violence. That you're not going to judges saying hold these people accountable, just not occurring, and that's's why we're in the position that we're in. Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, not a pretty picture you're painting today, at Ken Kober. But at least we get to talk about it and raise everybody's awareness to it, and maybe we can start making demands on our elected officials, like threaten them with being chucked out of office in November. There's an option, Ken Cobert, God bless you and each and ever remember the police department We obviously appreciate how tough it is to do your job every day, and I'm a little disappointed that so many more are retiring. But you know what, it doesn't shock me in any way, shape or form, given this the current climate. God bless you man. Keep up the great work, and you're always have a venue here to talk about what's going on.
Speaker 2: Sure, thanks for having me, Brian.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ken, always a pleasure. Christopher Smithman up next. Yeah, I wonder what he wants to talk about first. Oder Exit won't get rid of the stench of that particular issue, but it will work on all the other odors you run into during your daily life. You know, food odors, pet odors, mold, mildews, smoke. Now it works on all kinds of surfaces as well, you know, concrete, flooring, fabric.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just just different products out there that odor Exit makes. And they've been at this more than twenty five years, locally owned and operated and manufacturer products as they do work guarantee. That's what I like to emphasize. You don't take my word for it, although it has worked for me a variety of times over the years. It comes to the one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee, get the product you need to eliminate the odor you want. If you have any questions about which one you need and how to use the product, call the toll free number. They're very helpful, but use it as directed. If it doesn't work, you get your money back To order the products. They'll be quickly delivered to your home. Through the website. It's odor exit dot com od o r xit dot com. You can also figure out which product you need and if you need to buy it today because the odor is so bad buy it locally using the search engine located on the website. Works on everything except the statch of politics. Odor exit dot com.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station.