Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy. Save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy Dot I E Board Gosh Energy. Know your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimation Saniel bill of twenty six hundred and twenty nine Your new customers only thursch of centis Kentov Smart all day electricity unitrates in twenty nine percent of gas.
Speaker 3: See porcosh Energy dot E for fulties and sas.
Speaker 4: Oh hey, it's still your little step brother who tries to trade you their calcified banana flavor now and Laters for your many rhes'ess pean and power cups. And you're like, dude, little dude, step all the way up.
Speaker 5: How dare you?
Speaker 4: That's not all life works? Ali Ward back for the second half of some Knowlogy. Did you listen to part one yet? Deep sleep versus rem versus ram versus light sleep? Which is the ug which is the glittery dress loafer. Do you regularly disco with the night Hag. How loocid is your property brothers experience to see D three po give you PTSD. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I've exposed you as having skipped part one, So go listen to part one.
Speaker 5: Part two will be here for you.
Speaker 4: When you're done, it will make way more sense. Come on, Okay, so part twurs. It's just us now we get it. We have the basics on how sleep works, what happens when we don't have enough of it, and what our brain waves do, and why insomnia is a product of fear and anxiety. But this episode answers Patreon questions to help you get better sleep and includes yes, this secret insomnia buster from your pod, dad's mom, your pod nana fancy Nancy board. So I'm earnestly so excited to share it because I swear it works so.
Speaker 3: Well for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, but before we get to the episode, a few things we always do and you know it really quick, Los Angelinos if you happen to me in Alano. Member third, there is a comedy benefit for multiple maloma research if you listen to the hematology episode with doctor Brian Durry, which was all about blood and multiple maloma, which is a cancer that my dad has. This is a great way to support. It's a comedy benefit, so it's a whole comedy show. It's hosted by Kevin Neilan and Natasha la Jarro, Cristella Alonzo, Jim Jeffries, Gabriel Iglesis, Sashar Zamata, Shanta Wan's are all performing and I'll be there just hosting the Red Carpet live stream. But to get started at fifty bucks and they are available at comedy dot Mieloma dot org. You can also go to my instagram and I have a link to their instagram there. Okay, so thank you to everyone who supports on patreon dot com slash ologies. Even as little as twenty five cents an episode gets you into that club. You get to hear what episodes I'm working on. You can submit questions. I may read your name on the show. Now, this is my favorite job. You all pay my salary and you make this free to everyone, So thank you for that. Thanks to everyone who gets pins and shirts and hats and totes at ologiesmerg dot com. And you can support for no coin just by tweeting and gramming. Tell your mechanic. Spread the word also by star rating on iTunes or other platforms, or leaving reviews which I read and cherish, like notes from the feedback fairy. And to prove it, here's a fresh one I just plucked. Great Dad Jokes wrote in If Bill Ny, the Science Guy and Dirty Jobs had a love child, it would be this podcast. It takes a deep dive into a variety of specialties, but explains things in a way that makes you super excited about things you never thought you would get excited about, like bugs, anatomy, and primate butts. Great dad Jokes, you get it.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, So Somenology Part two, let's get your questions with Virginia based neurologist Sleep Whisperer, author of the Sleep Solution, Why your Sleep is Broken and how to Fix It, and of course somenologist doctor W Chris Winter. Can we do a rapid fire around? Oh yeah, I'm absolutely okay. So I asked for questions on Patreon. As I do, I say, patrons, hit me with your questions, and typically I get fifty to eighty questions.
Speaker 5: Maybe. Wow, I got two hundred and fifty five questions.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right.
Speaker 4: Twenty five pages worth of questions. Clearly we're not going to hit them all here we go.
Speaker 5: So I'm just going to run through.
Speaker 4: Megan Yonce wants to know why do some people have different circadian rhythms?
Speaker 6: So, Meghan, that is a genetic trait you probably inherited from your mother and father as either being a night owl or what we call delayed sleep phase or a morning person a morning larco. So probably the simple question is you acquired it from a parent. Now it is modifiable, so there may be aspects in your life that allowed you to change it. But to me, I think it's a trait like eye color that we can work to overcome.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of always there and I'm a leave it. Just sell it as an aside that our sleep need. How much sleep do we need?
Speaker 6: And our timing is Megan's describing when do we like at night or late or early tends to push us into certain careers.
Speaker 3: Teacher likes to.
Speaker 6: Wake up early in the morning, maybe needs a little bit more sleep, more consistency in their life. So and night ouls tend to travel better, deal with jet lag better, and by some studies, are smarter and interesting.
Speaker 5: Really, I didn't know that this kind of the follow up question to that.
Speaker 4: Paul Hawk and a few other people asked, I was a lifelong night owl and I just woke up one morning a morning person.
Speaker 5: How does that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, Paul, that's interesting. I don't know. For me.
Speaker 6: A lot of times things that I've involved in my life can push me one way or the other. One is like exercise first thing in the morning. I was training for like a trathlon a long time ago and meeting a group of people.
Speaker 3: To do it really early, and I hated it. I dreaded it.
Speaker 6: But after a few weeks I was waking up like at four point fifty five in the morning, an hour or five minutes before my longclock went off, and felt really good and was long asleep at ten o'clock at night. So it can be certain things in your life, or as our bodies mature, we tend to become less night oriented in general and more morning orient. So, you know, the high typical school student stays up at three o'clock in the morning watching YouTube videos, wants to sleep until two o'clock in the afternoon's really upset with mom when she comes in and opens up the blinds before lunchtime. And then you look at Grandma and Grandpa living down in Sarasota. They get the nutribullet out at three o'clock in the morning making kale smoothies, and you're like, Grandma, well, my god, what are you doing. It's three o'clock in the morning. I know this is when I wake up, isn't it great? So we have a tendency to move towards that as we get older. So maybe Paul has just moved there very quickly.
Speaker 4: So side note, like Paul, I too have recently come to enjoy waking up early when I do it, and I thought this meant like I have finally gotten my shit together. It's happened. But Paul, it looks like it just means we're old and marching ever closer to death. So we win some we lose somebody. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: The steely blue gloaming and the morning mist belongs to the old. So come join our wise wrinkle party Let's Little spoons at seven am over our third cup of percolated foltures. Tyler Ke wants to know is it possible to tell the exact point someone starts being asleep or is it just a gradual blurring of lines into unconsciousness.
Speaker 6: So you can see it on a sleep study, and there is a sense of gradual. So when you look at the brain activity, what you start to see is a slowing of the brain activity. The eye movements that characterize wakefulness becomes slow and rolling. So the answer is generally over about a thirty second period. That's how we score sleep. We look at thirty seconds of sleep at a time, and when you start to see a predominance of that intermixing of sleep with the with the light wakefulness, that's when we say sleep happens. So it's a it's a gradient, but it's a very short gradient for most people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thirty seconds is pretty short.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you could you could see it very clearly. It's not hard to find skype.
Speaker 4: A scientist wants to know why do some people make weird noises as they're falling asleep and what can we do to stop them from doing it or what can they do to stop doing it.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one.
Speaker 6: So one of my favorite weird noises at night is a phenomenon called catithrinium, which is a prolonged expiratory moan.
Speaker 5: Ps.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jay Leidiker for creeping on your vulnerable sleeping boyfriend and putting it on YouTube. So thirty six thousand strangers and counting could enjoy what sounds like a constipated puppy or a very frustrated porcupine struggling to understand tax paperwork.
Speaker 6: So for a lot of people when they go to bed, this is super super fun that you know, when you find out the person you've committed your life to does this, they will actually kind of take a b breath in and all the things that I go.
Speaker 3: Kind of like a foghorn all night long.
Speaker 6: So these can be There's also somemiloquy, which is sleep talking, which can be sort of gibberish or it can actually be, you know, fully formed sentences that people have no idea what they're talking about. These things can be treated. Often there's underlying sleep problems that are causing them. So if you can figure out the underlying sleep problem, like with the sleep study, you can sometimes get rid of the underlying You can get rid of the sound that the patient's making, but they can be kind of difficult to get rid of. Sometimes, what can the underlying problems be so for instance, like sleep sleep talking. A lot of times what happens is and individuals sleeping along, they'll have a little breathing disturbance and as they kind of they kind of wake up, they're conscious enough to have a conversation. One time, my wife woke up in the middle of the night and said, we've been watching the X Files, this show a long time ago. Much as you try to bury it, the truth is out there. She woke up and said, hey, you just go out there and go those dead bodies off the law and real quick. And I was like, what are you talking about? And then she would get real upset with you if you tried to rationalize what she was talking about. So I figured out very quickly the best thing would be like, oh, yeah, I'll be alright, bye, I will take care of that. She'd fall asleep and not remember anything about it the next day. So, you know, but a lot of times you would hear like a little breathing hiccup that would kind of wake her up. It could be a little acid reflux, it could be a little a random leg movement, you know, coughing fit. And there's lots of things that can do it that would wake people up to do it, even seizures. There's a great video one time of a young woman who was very you know, sort of proper and you know, raised right as my parents would call it, who would wake up in the night and just say awful things, curse, make these very vile sexual references.
Speaker 5: Ps.
Speaker 4: I tried to find a clip of this video, but googling quote woman obscenities in sleep only turned up a ton of gross tutorials about how to sleep with women. And scrolling through this deluge of pickup artist DIY videos made me too sad to keep looking.
Speaker 6: So sorry, I had no recollection doing it the next day, and it turns out she was having seizures just at night and that was the manifestation of the seizure.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just thought she was a rude girl.
Speaker 3: Rude girl, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she got that treated. But I also hope, like, let her be herself, you know what she's like.
Speaker 5: You know what I'll learn from that.
Speaker 3: To freak fagfly sister, that's right.
Speaker 4: Bob Carlton asked, and we kind of touched on this a little bit earlier. I've heard that it used to be common for folks to wake in the middle of the night, do some reading, and then go back to sleep for the rest of the night, basically bisecting nightly sleep.
Speaker 5: Is this something that really happened and we should bring it back?
Speaker 6: It did happen, and if it's a bit of a denser read, but it is absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 3: A guy named Roger Eric wrote this book.
Speaker 6: It's like a Day's End or at Night's End or something like that. It's a journey into the history of sleep or something like that. I've always butchered the title. I really apologized because it's such a good book.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, the real title is at Day's Close Night in Times Past by a Roger Eckerch. I'm going to admit it. That does not roll off the tongue. So I get why Doctor Winter could not figure that out. But it's all about what happened during nighttime in pre industrialized eras, from like masquerade balls to crime, to inns and taverns and brothels, yarns, spinning circles. And I feel like now I need an episode on nocturnology maybe to shine some light on the topic. Okay, Doctor Winter explains.
Speaker 6: But he writes about sort of sleep throughout antiquity, and there was sort of this first sleep and second sleep. We would go to bed when the sun went down, we would sleep, we'd wake up. We'd walk around at night and greet neighbors and fall in holes that we didn't see in these passages that he's found during I think it took him years to write this book. And you read a page and you almost have to close the book and just think about, oh my god, it's so cool that people used to do that. So should we bring back I don't know that we should voluntarily bring it back, but I do think it does provide a little bit of this idea of hey, look, if you want to have a siesta during the day and break your wakefulness period up in a little spot of sleep, I think that's okay. And some would argue natural. I think it's okay. If your night period is broken up by a little period of wakefulness, that's not a big deal. You know what is insomnia. It's not a person who can't sleep. It's a person who can't sleep when they want to. That's part A. Part B is you have to have an emotional response to it. So if waking up in the night is kind of a fun thing for you and you don't you don't mind it, then I think it's perfectly, perfectly fine and a great way to sort of view an awakening during the night.
Speaker 3: It's not the end of the world. Just your wait, go with it.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't do the kind of damage that like a C three PO alarm clock on your butt would do.
Speaker 6: Very different terrifying screaming We'll doomed, you know, going off over and over.
Speaker 3: It made the craziest sounds. I'm like, God, I can't leave. We do that to people. C three P I always thought was funny.
Speaker 6: I was like, if we had had R two D two probably been better, But this random robot and screaming at you at three in the morning was was often just what people needed to wake themselves from a deep sleep immediately.
Speaker 4: Again, if you missed part one, the midnight terror of a mechanical C three PO does await you, But you got a lot of people who ended up not liking Star Wars after that.
Speaker 3: To be honest, it's right this kind of visceral response to the nude movies.
Speaker 4: LEVI like the jeans and Ron Smith both asked about shift work that it's awful for your health and what can you do to negate the negative effects of that?
Speaker 6: Levi and the other individual are absolutely right, ron or right. The thing that terrifies me the most about sleep and sleep science is not insomnia. It's not the person who went eighteen months without sleeping. It's the person who is the shift worker who thinks that they're doing okay with the fact that they work a day job and also have a night job to make ends meet. And these are the conversation we have our clinic. I really think you shouldn't be doing this. Great, you're gonna pick a mortgage doctor.
Speaker 3: Winner and no, I can't do that, Okay, then shut up.
Speaker 6: So we do often get into a position of they almost feel like they don't have a choice. And the World Health Organization classifies shift work is a class two a carcynogen. Now, I think it's incredibly devastating to our health.
Speaker 4: So real quick, what is shift work exactly? I wanted a clear definition, so I asked the internet. Now, according to the National Sleep Foundation, shift work is work that takes place on a schedule outside the traditional nine to five every day, so it can involve evening or night shifts, maybe early morning shifts, rotating shifts, And yes, the World Health Organization does classify shift work as a car synogen. So if you heard the Surgical Oncology episode about breast cancer and it's concern, the stats say that women whose work involves night shifts have a forty eight percent increased risk of developing breast cancer. Prostate cancer risk is also elevated, along with a host of other cancers medical ailments. Now, according to my good friend Wikipedia, this may be due to alterations in circadian rhythm. So melatonin is a known tumor suppressor and it's generally produced at night, so late shifts may disrupt the production of it. And one study I read reported that the underlying pathophysiological mechanism, which just means why does this happen though, is that exposure to light and darkness at weird times leads to disruption of normal sleep wake rhythms. It's called chronodisruption. It means I'm sleeping at the wrong times. My brain is confused. So it's like, who's afraid of the dark, Who's afraid of falling? A sleep of the lights on? That seems more dangerous now, But what can shift work, like doctor Winter himself experienced during his medical residency due to a human When.
Speaker 6: You look at individuals who are engaged in shift work, we know that they have much more difficulty with their weight, much more difficulty with the blood pressure, more heart attacks, more strokes, more mistwork, more GI issues, more psychological issues. I mean, it's just a very difficult thing to sustain. I remember when I was in residency, when we were talking about that, you know, a while back, that I felt that I was clearly at my most unhealthy point in my life and if this were my job, this is what I'll do for the next thirty years. I don't know that I felt like I would have lost ten years of my life. And I look back at even my kids when we look back at pictures of myself.
Speaker 3: During that time. Thank god, we didn't have a lot of digital cameras around at that time.
Speaker 6: But the pictures that we do have my kids are like, oh god, Dad looks terrible, pasty white, just looks really unhealthy. And I think it's because I was so If you're a shift worker, talked to a sleep specialist. There are medications that can help alleviate that, And I would say the other thing too is to talk to your employer about ways you can make the shift work more humane. I mean, hopefully you're working for somebody says, look, I don't care how you do it, we just need to cover these shifts. There's ways you can construct your work environment. There's ways you can construct you can construct the way that shifts move from day to day that are a lot easier on a body than others, And a lot of times it's a matter of doing a little bit of research or talking to somebody about.
Speaker 3: How ways to make that better.
Speaker 6: The other thing, too, is you try to work towards not being a shift worker. I mean it sounds really flip by being very genuine and that even if you like it, and there's a lot of things to like about shift work, you know, working at night for some people, there's not a lot of administration around. You just show up and do your work. It's kind of quiet, and some people feel good at that time. But just understand, just because you're good at doing it and you like it, doesn't necessarily mean it's probably a really good thing for your body.
Speaker 5: Got It same for jobs that involve a lot of jet lag asking for a friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Again, there are things you can do to treat jet lag.
Speaker 3: There's some really cool goggles that you can.
Speaker 6: Wear that shine green light into your eyes that kind of your brain circadian rhythm, and a lot of them have these old jet like calculators associate with them. So if you're getting ready to go to Stalkholm for three days and then over to Brussels and then back home to New York, you can use these lights at certain times of the day to help you acclimate more quickly to that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I got a lot of questions. Corynavis, Sophia Garbo's, g X, Barnett, Paula Hawk, Katie Spino, Maria Kumro, Abigail Campbell, and Moore all asked how can some people sleep for five or six hours and feel fine and other people need eight or ten? Like why do some people seem to need less?
Speaker 6: So that once again kind of goes back to the earlier question about how come some people are night oriented and some people are day oriented. So when you think about your sleep, everybody's listening to this has a certain amount of sleep that they need that's individual to them. Not only that, but it's also individual to you at that time. So if you're a twenty year old, that time might change when you're a seventy year old. So not only do we have a time that we need or a duration we need, but we also have a timing. So those are the two variables I want you to think about. And so the answer to the question is, there are some people out there who need eight hours of sleep, and we talk a lot about that in the media, being sort of an average. I think the average is probably closer to seven to seven and a half, but we can agree to disagree. So whatever that average is, it is an average. So when you're planning your picnic, there might be a statistic out there that says the average picnic attendantly two hot dogs and a hamburger. That is awesome information to have as you are buying your supplies because now you've got a little bit of an algorithm for figuring out how to feed people. Now, that does not mean that every person who walks to your pick comes to your picnic, is going to heat two hot dogs and a hamburger. So we need to get outside of this idea that eight hours of sleep is somehow magical it is if.
Speaker 3: That's what you need.
Speaker 6: But if you're somebody who needs six and a half hours of sleep, seeking eight is going to create an hour and a half of dead time. That's going to be very unpleasant to you and might even be interpreted as being insomnia. Well, I'm trying to get my eight hours, doctor Winter. I go to bed at ten o'clock and it takes me like an hour to hour and a half to fall asleep every night.
Speaker 3: Is driving me crazy.
Speaker 6: My first question I always ask people like that is why have you chosen ten o'clock is your bedtime? And they look at you like I really never thought about that, sort of like saying, my lunch time is at ten thirty am. Wow, tell me about your lunch. Well, like ten thirty, I leave my office, I go to the restaurant, I sit down, the waitress comes, she says, what would you like? I say, I'm not that hungry, and she keeps coming back and coming back and coming back. Finally, around twelve thirty, I say I'll take a chicken sandwich please, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Nobody does that. The waitress at some point it's gonna.
Speaker 6: Say, honey, leave, why do you keep coming at ten thirty and just sitting there taking at my booth, like go shop or go do some work and come back when you are hungry. So you know, for the person who asked the question about sleep duration, we're all different. So if you're getting six and a half hours of sleep and you feel great and you don't feel like falling asleep in movies or in meetings or things of that nature, you're probably doing exactly what your body needs to be healthy.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's good to know.
Speaker 4: Travis carry, Julie Noble and others asked backsider stomach, which is best and why?
Speaker 6: So it depends on how you define best. Most people would describe sleeping on your left side as being best because number one, our body's blood return comes mainly through the rights of our body if we're engineered correctly. So there's a thought that if you sleep predominant on your right side, you kind of compress that passive return of blood to your body, which can be especially important for pregnant women. So left side sort of alleviates that our airways want to collapse more when we sleep on our back, so sleeping on your side puts our airway in a little bit more of a favorable position. Although kids have big tonsils, sometimes it doesn't, but for an adult that works out well. The problem with sleeping on your side is orthopedically, a lot of people find that it hurts their shoulders, it hurts their hips or knees to sleep on their side, So orthopedically the best position to sleep is on your back. So the answer to the question is, if you're saying from a sleep perspective, I would say left side or on your back with your head somewhat elevated to keep your airway more open. But you know, there's all kinds of studies about sleeping positions. If you're worried about wrinkles, or you're a woman with larger breasts and you're worried about them sagging, then you really shouldn't be sleeping on your side or your stomach. It should be back all the way, keeps our skin looking healthier, keeps our bodies looking more tone. So it really depends on what you mean by which is best. So I would say, in my world, left side of your body is probably the best. On some sort of mattress that maybe eliminates that kind of pressure feeling from your joints.
Speaker 5: Okay, what about on your face?
Speaker 6: Sleeping on your face is tough. I mean a lot of people sleep on their stomach. It's fairly rare to find somebody who's a stomach sleeper who likes their face into the pillow. It's a little dangerous. But they do make pillows that kind of are almost like the little massage. When you have a massage and your face down, you have your little face in a little doughnut hole or whatever. So they do make pillows that facilitate that. I would say that you know, if you're going to sleep on your face is try to make sure you're not eliminiting the amount of air that you're getting or whatnot, or just gently turn your head to one side or the other.
Speaker 4: Okay, good to know. Yeah, asking for a quote, friend, I'm pretty sure I sleep on my face. Okay, quick aside. Also on sleep apnea, there are a few different types with different causes. But how do you know if you might have it? Okay? Do any of these sound like you? Daytime sleepiness or fatigue, unrefreshing sleep insomnia, perhaps morning headaches.
Speaker 5: Okay, here's what you do.
Speaker 4: You throw a lavish slumber party and then over cereal the next morning, you just hand out questionnaires to your friends asking if they heard any loud or frequent snoring, silent pauses, and breathing or choking or gasping sounds. Or you could just request a sleep study. If the doc like, yep, you gots it, they might work out some treatment that involves lifestyle changes like ditching booze or cigarettes, maybe losing weight, side sleeping, or mouthpieces. Some folks have to get surgery for sleep apnea, or use a breathing device like a seapap, which stands for a continuous positive airwave pressure because it forces air past any floppy throat obstructions you might have. I was doing some digging and it may not be a cure all for everyone, but tons of folks who have finally treated their sleep apnea with a seapap say it's life changing. And also, if I were not busy making this podcast, I would go into the side business of aftermarket medical equipment and sell SEAPAP upgrades that look like glistening face huggers from Alien or maybe bane masks.
Speaker 3: Oh you think dog loses your.
Speaker 4: Allie Shannon has three questions, but I'm going to ask, well, they're all good.
Speaker 5: Can you dive from sleep deprivation?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 6: Yes, but it's not something that you would be able to do yourself, meaning you'd have to employ friends with you know, stun.
Speaker 3: Guns and cattle prods.
Speaker 6: So, and the reason I'm saying that is because there are people out there who have insomnia who feel like they're not sleeping, that the fear of the situation creates the situation. So I would say to this person, you are in no danger of not sleeping. In fact, even people who come to our clinic and I said, well you have to have a sleep study. Why I can't sleep in my inn bed? How can I sleep in a sleep study? I always tell them why you go to the sleep center. They're gonna look all these wires up to you, and I want you.
Speaker 3: To lie in bed. I do not want you to sleep.
Speaker 6: Just lie there awake like you normally do, for seven or eight hours and we'll see what happens. Nobody ever does it. In fact, they actually sleep more, you know, than they do at home. They'll come back and say I told you I didn't sleep, and I'll hear you slept for six hours and thirteen minutes. Whenever I showed a judge her video, and she said, oh my god, I really thought that I was awake all night long. In fact, I'm looking at this thinking maybe you super impose my face on another You know, she was kidding. But so, no, you are not in any danger of sleep deprivation. I always tell people insomnia is the worst condition in the world that has almost absolutely no medical consequence.
Speaker 4: Really it doesn't. It doesn't lead to plaques in the brain, and.
Speaker 6: So sleep deprivation does not insomnia. Insomnia and sleep deprivation are two very different things. So, yes, if you're working your a nine to five job, you come home, sleep for two hours at seven o'clock, you go off to clean office buildings all through the night, and go right back to work the next day. Yes, you are putting yourself in position of having trouble. However, is that person going to completely sleep deprive themselves. No, They're going to do that job for a period of time, and what's going to happen is they're actually going to fall asleep on the job. They're going to fall asleep in their office the next morning. So it's very difficult to sleep deprive yourself because you know, like I said, sleep always wins, you're going to sleep. And unlike hunger, which does a primary drive, and thirst, which is a primary drive, sleep your brain can actually control yourself doing that.
Speaker 4: So think of sleep as being a vital resource that you don't even have to hunt or search for or gather. You could just make it yourself if you just chill out and let it happen. So imagine if you're like man, I could really go for a lobster roll. Well, I'll just sit really still and breathe, and it'll appear. Not sleeping enough is like being hungry all the time when we could just conjure lobster rolls. Now, why are we saying no to sleep but yes to scrolling for so many hours before bed? I'm asking myself this.
Speaker 5: Ps.
Speaker 4: If you hate lobster rolls and this analogy doesn't work for you, I don't care, because it was for me. I was talking to me this aside. Was a private moment between my heart and my brain and my mouth. Anyway, So sleep happens, so.
Speaker 6: At some point it just takes the decision out of your hands and you fall asleep.
Speaker 5: Huh. Shannon also wanted to know what does lack of sleep make you fat.
Speaker 6: It does so sleep poor sleep in a lot of ways makes you fat. It makes you too tired to want to go to the gym. You're sitting around more, which creates a problem. We actually burn less calories when we're sleeping poorly. But the biggest thing is we start to create this biochemical cascade of chemicals that make us feel full go away, chemicals that make us crave really bad foods or in abundance.
Speaker 3: I always tell people when I was in.
Speaker 6: Residency and really struggling and sleep deprived, I would go to this little convenience store in the hospital and there were these little packages of Chipsway cookies, and then they had like the thirty three percent more family.
Speaker 3: Size bag, and I would lie to the fill us.
Speaker 6: This little woman who worked there'd be like, oh, yeah, some of the doctors are wanting some cookies. I want one or two, but no more than three. But I need the family size bag. And by the time I got out of the Communian Star, I'd eat in the entire sleeve, you know. And so I look back on those days, I think, oh God, it was so driven by something. I didn't want that many cookies. It makes me kind of sick to think about right now. But oh man, I could put a herding on those cookies at the time.
Speaker 4: Then of course these cookie's put a herding right back on you. So why does this happen? Let's blame a trio of hormones, shall we. There's leptin, which tells your brain's hypothelmus like, nah, I'm good man, I'm not really hungry. So this appetite controlling hormone, leptin is supposed to peak while you're asleep, but if you've been snoozing weird, it goes a little wonky. Now there's also grellin, which is the flip side of the leptin coin, and it signals to your brain this show time and too little sleep means a veritable monsoon of this hormone. Also insulin, the third one stores fat, and yes, our insulin gets disrupted when our sleep sucks. So I am no medical person, but I can confirm this research because once I was very tired on a flight and I asked a stranger if I could have some of his sour patch kids, and he gave me the rest of the bag. I think out of pity and also fear. So there's your anecdotal evidence also they were really good. Julie Noble wants you know, I've heard that women are typically lighter sleepers in men. Is there a science behind this?
Speaker 3: I think there are.
Speaker 6: There are actually some studies that show that, and also some studies that kind of relate it to childbirth. You know, male of species going out to find food, female species protecting cubs and whatnot. So there are some studies that sort of look at that. So I think that that's that's not an unreasonable thing to think for sure.
Speaker 4: What do you tell new parents who are like, I can't sleep, this baby's crying, but I cannot just ignore the baby.
Speaker 5: What do you tell them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I always tell parents, Look, you know, for the first few months of the child's existence, it's gorilla sleep, not grill like the animal like grill like the you know, freedom fighter in the jungle somewhere, meaning you just get it when you can, you know. I think it's very important for parents from the get go, even maybe even before the child is born, to start thinking about scheduling, not only in terms of the child, but your own schedule. So if a mother who's pregnant is exercising at the same time, every day and it is not a good schedule or self baby pops out often having sort of picked up on that too, you know, bodies shaking and the babies in there kind of moving around during the zumba class, but not when your mom is sitting still. So you know, parents can child rearing out. And this is my next books. I'm writing a book about kids in sleep, which I think is a lot of fun. But you got to be very careful because you're kind of straddling this line of sleep expert doctor and let me tell you how to raise your kids kind of thing. So I would be very careful not to step on any parents toes. But one of the fundamental questions you have to answer with the kid is are you going to schedule their life or do you let the kid kind of decide what's going on. You're going to tell them this is when they nap, this is when they nurse, or you're just going to basically pull it out and they can suck on anytime they want to, which a lot of people do, and that's that's perfectly your choice. But when you don't build in some sort of structure or a schedule to a little baby, it doesn't develop a schedule. So again, is there a baby out there that's not sleeping?
Speaker 3: No, there's not.
Speaker 6: Is there a baby out there who's sleeping so inconsistently and so unpredictably it's driving mom and dad crazy. Absolutely. So if you can predict your kids sleep or quiet times, you as a parent can get anything done. So to me, that's really the goal of those first few months of life is really being careful about the messages you're sending. Okay, naptime is from ten to eleven. What happens if the baby goes down screams? Is that off until ten forty five? What do you do at eleven o'clock? Are you gonna wake the baby up because that's the end of the naptime or do you just go ahead and let him sleep for the hour because well, they didn't sleep. They didn't say so. I would say, you wake them up at eleven o'clock and you do it with a smile and you have fun with them. Now the baby's trying to fall asleep in the car seat going to the store, and you don't let them. I always kept his little wet wash cloths in my car. And when my kids start falling asleep in the car, take their shoes off, mess around their feet, which made him cry.
Speaker 3: They hated that.
Speaker 6: And when that didn't work and they were still falling asleep as I messed with their I would just take a wet washcloth and throw it in their lap, and they would get all upset about it, Oh God, now got this cold wet thing on my lap, or they'd play with it or suck on it. I didn't care as long as they weren't sleeping, because this is not the time we've determined to sleep. You had your time by an hour ago, and you screamed and rocked your your cage, your crib the entire time. So to me get your kids on a schedule. AT's step one.
Speaker 5: Ps.
Speaker 4: Doctor Winter is not alone in seeing this visual correlation. I found an article titled quote why cribs kind of looked like cages on fatherly dot com, and it said that cribs have evolved from the seventeen hundreds. There was an Italian practice of popping a slatted half shell of an old whiskey barrel over your wee one, kind of like a protective cage so you wouldn't roll over it and kill it in bed. Oh, simpler times, eighteenth century state of the art baby technology was just a liquor soaked splinter cage for parents who care enough to provide the best. Mike Milkire and Ashland Todd McLaren all kind of asked, why can you sometimes sleep for a really long time and feel super lethargic and sluggish, Like can you not catch up on last sleep?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: Is it not like a bank account?
Speaker 3: So those are two different things. So you can.
Speaker 6: And there's some really interesting new research that says individuals who might struggle to get the perfect amount of sleep from time to time as long as relatively quickly to try to make it up with the nap.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing.
Speaker 6: So you're got to catch a flight, it's delayed, and you don't get home until three o'clock in the morning, and you thought you're gonna get home at ten, and you got to go to work the next day. I think it's perfectly fine to make up for that lost sleep with a nap or some sort of supplement'll sleep here or sleeping in when we sleep an unusual time.
Speaker 3: So I always like to.
Speaker 6: Look at people's schedules, and college students are the worst. You know, Monday was a Friday, I'm organ at chemistry class it starts at eight, and get anything other than eight o'clock class.
Speaker 3: It really was the pits.
Speaker 6: And then Tuesday and Thursday, I don't have a class until noon, and then on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, I don't even go out until two in the morning, let alone you know, waffle house whatever the next morning. So when people have these schedules that are kind of all over the place, the brain adopts this position of what do you expect.
Speaker 3: Of me at nine am?
Speaker 6: On these days we're sound asleep, on these days we're already an hour into an organic chemistry lecture, and on these other days we've just gone out a couple hours ago. So your brain, I always say, this is my term makes no sense to a lot of people, but your brain, your brain just kind of goes gray. There's no black, there's no white. It just kind of adopts this. That's how people feel to live in Portland or Great Britain. It's gray all the time. There's no sunlight. So you're just kind of like, I'm not terribly depressed, but I'm also not super happy either.
Speaker 4: So unpredictable sleep patterns can give you a real case to the morisses.
Speaker 6: And you know, so you're just kind of this kind of melancholy all the time. I think people feel that way. So to me, the answer to that is probably number one. There is this entity of sleep inertia. We try to sometimes make up our sleep, and we have these massive sleep blocks, so our brain doesn't exactly know how to feel when we wake up. So a lot of people will feel worse after a night of sleep or even a nap if it sort of surprises the brain. So the best way to sleep, the best way to nap, is to try to have your sleep period end at the same time every time.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, so.
Speaker 6: It's a very difficult thing to get somebody to say, Look, you have the opportunity to sleep till noon. It'd still be better if you woke up at eight, had something to eat, went outside where the sunlight, walk the dog, all bit of physical activity, and then if you wanted to supplement your sleep, take a nap at a designated time. So that way we don't interrupt what your brain is sort of expecting. You know, we don't get hungry generally because we need food. We often get hung because our brain is saying, oh, it's noon, this is when we usually have the chicken sandwich. So here we go, let's get ready for it. It's not oh, we're calorically needing food a lot of time. So we're just trying to create a good rhythm for our brain. So for meals or in rhythm, rhythm or exercises in rhythm, often our sleep will fall suit.
Speaker 5: Oh that's good to know.
Speaker 6: So you can make up for a lack of sleep. So if you stayed up all last night doing some great project for work, as long as you can make it up pretty quickly, you'll you'll scientifically live just as long as the person who always gets the right amount of sleep.
Speaker 5: Okay, boo yah to them.
Speaker 3: Oooh yeah.
Speaker 4: Corey Navis, Michael Saidampuga, Emily Mankis, Melissa Brewer, Janella Lindauer, John Worster all asked kind of about sleep supplements, about melatonin, about ambient about taking something to sleep?
Speaker 5: Is that good or bad? What are we dealing with?
Speaker 6: So I will my disclaimer will be I'm not a big fan of sleeping pills. I think that they certainly have up their place, and I guess I would think of a sleeping pill like an appetite stimulant. You probably don't know that many people who take appetite stimulants. They do exist, they're out there. But when we all go out to lunch and we're sitting around, everybody's ordering food and you don't feel hungry, what do you do. My guess is you don't say, oh, gosh, hey, guys, does anybody have an appetite stimulant? Because I'm really not hungry for lunch right now, and I know if I don't eat, I'll starve to death. And I've seen these videos on the internet of people starving to death.
Speaker 3: It looks terrible.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do that, so please look around find something for me to take. So we don't think that way when it comes to our food. We think, huh, it's unfortunate because this food looks really good and I'd like to eat, but I'm not really not that hungry. But oh well, I'm sure i'll get hungry at some point in the future. So I think for a lot of people, sleeping pills become a crutch that is completely unnecessary and kind of this weird lie that you need something to fall asleep with other people, don't.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: The flip side of that is a shift worker. You work seven eight to seven p for four days, you have two days off, and you get back working seven p to seven A. So you're constantly moving backwards in four You're a traveler, you fly to Shanghai every two weeks to do business, and you have struggled to adapt. I think those are perfectly appropriate ways reasons to take medications. Melatonin in particular, because it's such a good drug at helping us adjust our circadian rhythm.
Speaker 4: Okay, so quick aside. Melatonin is that hormone. It's produced by a tiny pie sized mid brain, little nugget called your pinial gland, and it makes you sleepy, it helps you dream. And for a long time we thought only animals made melotonin, but it turns out it's in a bunch of plants, you guys. So now we have melotonin supplements and gummy vitamins and over the counter access to it. But some experts worn against using the supplements long term because it can cause next day grogginess or grumpiness. But what is a big melatonin cock blocker? You ask, good question, and it's blue light, So to boost your natural melatonin in your brain. This is why people say they lay off the screens after dusk. New fangled light sources like screens and phones blast daytime raise into your brain at the wrong times. It's very confusing. And firelight and incandescent bulbs have these warmer wavelengths that don't mess with you by the bye. Just in case you want to be like next level hipster and bring back those really long, creepy nightcaps and maybe carry a candle around from room to room. I'm kind of feeling that in between that aesthetic and whittling spoons at dawn, I'm kind of smelling a real alley Ward Instagram rebranding over here, just coming over the sunrise horizon, my friends, who's into it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 5: Fine? Okay?
Speaker 4: So why else might someone take a sleeping pill or a supplement, death.
Speaker 6: Of a loved one, you lost your job, some emotional upset to have a big problem with the sleeping pill. I don't, but the plan should be, Hey, here's a sleeping pill. I'm really sorry this thing happened to you. This will help you kind of get to this immediate know burn the of the situation. But then we're going to do things to move us away from it, you know. So maybe that many people have talked to Right, why do you take amby, Well, I can't sleep without it when that start it started? You know it's because of the divorce. Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Has that been hard? Well was seventeen years ago. Like number one, she's not coming back, you know, stop carrying that towards number two. The reason why you're taking the ambient it has nothing to do with the divorce. It's because now the divorce precipitated a problem, that something is perpetuating. So let's get down to the bottom of what that is. So if you're taking melotone every night, be careful with that. It can actually make you feel like you're constantly traveling east because most people take the melotone right when they go to bed. If you're giving your kids melatonin because it helps them sleep, I've got a big problem with that as well too. So pills and sleep, I think that they don't really belong with each other. And ask your doctor the next time, you know, what is the evidence that this medication works. It's surprising some of the answers that you'll get. Or if there's even an indication for this drug. A lot of people take the drug sarah Will, which is a heavy duty antipsychotic, to help them with their sleep, and not only is it not indicative for sleep, it's actually recommended that people not take that drug for sleep. Just be careful about the medications. Are getting doctors their hearts in the right place. They want to do something, and for you to say I'm not sleeping, they feel very compelled to do something, and often that comes in the form of a pill.
Speaker 4: Okay, So remember, blue light from our phones and TVs and laptops is just not something we've evolved to see at night. Our brains process blue light as like, okay, daytime orwakeness. Now, if blue light is the cock blocker of melatonin, then it might be helpful to block that cock block with cool blue blocker glasses. And by cool, I mean warm toned. Now, which brand of glasses should you buy? There are a million research them. First, I found an article on Consumer Reports that tested three different brands and they ranged in price from eight dollars to like fifty five dollars, and the ones that cut the most blue light, they found out, were the cheap ones. One brand called Ubex skyper rated the highest. So the most expensive ones cut about half the blue light is the cheap ones in this particular study, so look it up first. PS. If you are researching these glasses on your phone in bed right now, just let it wait till tomorrow. A couple more questions a little here's Carl and Hale's parcels asked about blue lights on cell phones. Should we be turning our phones to yellow? Should we be taking our phones and throwing them into a landfill? What should we be doing?
Speaker 6: I don't think we need to throw our phones into a landfill, although if you'd like to come to my house into my kids' phones into a landfill, I would not fight you on that one. I would actually disappoint it, but secretly be like, oh thank god Miles came over and through the phones in the landfill. So to me, I think it's just about managing our phones. Phones are great. They really help us kind of keep connected, they keep us safe. There's all kinds of fun apps and whatnot and audiobooks, etc. To me, the biggest thing is as we start moving from dinner to our bedtime, that sort of period we really want to start looking at lighting in our house, our routines, and finding a way to sort of move away from computers and cell phones at that time. Okay, it's eleven o'clock. If somebody needs me, they can get a hold of me. But I'm going to plug my phone up in a kitchen. I'm not going to take it into the bedroom with me. It's something I can do when I can look at when I'm having trouble sleeping. So I think, you know, good hygiene with our cell phones is really important if you're somebody here, you're a nurse, and you know you may get called in the night, so you can't really separate yourself from your phone at night, you know, installing things like dimmers on our phones, or employing the little night settings, or even getting little blue blocker glasses. Uvex make some Swan Wicks, make some that you can keep on your bedside table, so when you're looking at your phone, you put the little blue blocker glasses on, so those harmful wavelengths of light are not keeping you up at night.
Speaker 4: Free Johnson wants to know what's the difference between hypersomnia and narcolepsy.
Speaker 3: So that's a great question.
Speaker 6: Brie. Hypersomnia you can think of as being sort of the umbrella term of the hypersomnia's narcolepsy, it would be a specific one. And asking that question because of this term idiopathic hypersomnia, weisk has thrown about in sleep, which is essentially your sleepy He don't seem to fit all the criteria of narclepsy, and the doctor has no idea what to do with you, so they call you idiopathic hypersomnia, which kind of drives me crazy. So lots of things can make us hypersomnik. Narcolepsy is a situation where you're not making chemicals in your brain that stabilize wakefulness. So a typical narcolepsy patient will sleep eight hours, wakes up, feels pretty good, goes to his favorite art history class, sits down the front row because he thinks if I sit in the front row, won't fall asleep, and immediately nods off and doesn't even feel sleepy to begin with.
Speaker 4: This literally happened to me in an art history class, in an auditorium of six hundred people. I sat in the front row to stay awake in a sleep. So either every person on earth has done this specifically in an art history class about double barrel vaulted stealing architecture in cluineal villages. Or I'm just more and more convinced that doctor Winter guessed this because there is a glitch in the simulation. We're all living in an alternative universe anyway, So some people get tired.
Speaker 6: So these are individuals who are largely outside of control of their own sleepiness.
Speaker 5: How do you know which you are?
Speaker 6: So that would be something that would probably require visiting a sleep specialist, But we've talked about some things already that kind of indicate it. Number One, you're a hypersomnik. You're excessively sleepy, which is different from being fatigued. You're saying no, no, no, beyond fatigue. I can't read without falling asleep. I fall asleep watching shows. I don't go out on dates because always not off and it makes me feel uncomfortable. So you're expressing a lot of drive to sleep despite adequate sleep. Sleep paralysis can can somes go along with it. An entity called cataplexy can go along with it. When somebody is wide awake often feels some sort of emotional upset or elation or happy and all of a sudden feels paralyzed, like their knees want to buckle, or they can't hold their head up, or their hands become very limp. People have very vivid hallucinations as their falling asleeper waking up at a young woman with narcolepsy who had this hallucination that her husband was like rummaging around or underwear drawer, and so she confronted him the next morning and said, were you What were you looking for?
Speaker 3: Why were you in my under ad door.
Speaker 6: He's like, I was not in your underwear drawer, and she's like, I'm certain that you were. He's like, honey, I would tell you if I were. I wasn't. And she came to understand over time she was having these very vivid hallucinations as she was waking up that really weren't real.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: So a lot of people with narclepsy struggle to discern reality and something that's not meaning. I thought I did a podcast with Ali, but I ran into her and she's like, no, we haven't done it yet. It's coming up next week. So you start to doubt, did I pay the bill? Did I have the conversation with my neighbor at about barring the lawnmower or did the podcast ever happen? They sort of live in this weird place in between reality and dreaming and have this difficulty understanding which was real.
Speaker 5: Are there any movies about sleep that you love or hate?
Speaker 6: I remember a movie called Insomnia. I think it was like with al Pacino and Robin Williams that we thought was really interesting because it was mainly filmed in Alaska when it was always dark. I always thought that was kind of interesting.
Speaker 7: Are you don okay? I mean you haven't been sleeping much, Detective Dormer.
Speaker 3: Now the night up like this and you're really gonna lose it. Don't worry. Well, you can sleep when you're dead.
Speaker 4: So this movie seems kind of scary but very al PACINOI that's my official scholarly review. Also, his character's name is Detective Dormer and it's about sleep. Dormer literally means sleep in French. I only watched a trailer, but if there is not a scene in this movie where two cops are like eating apple fritters in a squad car, being like, it's so weird that this movie is about sleep and your name literally means sleep, then I refuse to see the film.
Speaker 6: Generally, Hollywood tends to treat things like narcolepsy as almost comical. You know, it's a funny character that every time something happens, he falls over. Maybe the one that I would like the most is Inception because it sort of touches on this idea of lucid dreaming, which I thought was really cool and really took it to a neat place. I think lucid dreaming is a fascinating topic, So maybe that's the one that would choose.
Speaker 5: Is lucid dreaming something you can choose to do.
Speaker 6: It's something that you can, you can it's a skill. Now some people just do it if you've never had lucid dreams. So lucid dreaming is simply being aware that you're dreaming when you're dreaming.
Speaker 4: As long as I'm so horny for entomology in this episode, Lucid comes from the root word for light or clear, and it was coined by Dutch psychiatrist Frederic van Eden in a nineteen thirteen paper called a Study of Dreams. So exploring free will in different states ofnsciousness was pretty progressive for an olden timey dude. But he also thought the demons cause nightmares, so.
Speaker 6: You know, and then dream control is sort of the next step of oh wow, I'm dreaming that I'm doing this thing. I'm staying on top of a building. Dream control would mean you could actually just control yourself jump off the building and then fly. So you can do it, and the way to do it is to really start becoming aware of your own reality. And so what I would do when I was going through this phase of trying it out and writing about it for this outlet, I would during the day, I would take my ring off, my wedding ring off. I would turn it around and look at it and kind of look at my hands and say, this is a real thing I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I'm not dreaming, and that would put it back on.
Speaker 6: So I could actually do that in my mind as I drove as I was talking to patients. And then what you start to do is you start to question reality in your dreams. And so what happened was I would have these dreams. I would one dream that I was going to a circus, and all of a sudden, I was like, wait a minute, and I would look at my hands and they were all distorted. I was like, Wit, this is a dream, I'm doing it, and that would wake up because I was so excited. But eventually you get to this place where you just kind of make it a habit to sort of question your reality throughout the day, and you bring that behavior into your dreams and as you start to realize, oh wait, this isn't a dream, you can do a lot of really cool things. One is, look at your hands. Our brains do a very poor job of rendering our hands and our dreams, so you'll have like twelve fingers or like two massive monster fingers or something.
Speaker 4: So side note, I look this up and there's this whole wiki site and forum on lucid dreaming wherein people shared their weird finger experiences. Here are two of my favorites. One is, I remembered to do a reality check, so I looked at my hands and realized that they're actually claws. Another person said, quote, my fingers appeared jumbled, as if I had no bones. Okay, so all Ward is no Edwardian are a mental health professional, but I'm fairly certain that these people are just afflicted by demons.
Speaker 6: The other thing you can do is, like you know, pull your skin or push your finger into the palm of your hand. A lot of times it will pass through or your skin's very flexible. If you look down at your feet, your feet often don't touch the ground, which is probably where you're not to touch the earth. Your feet don't touch the ground. Our brain has trouble rendering our body in three dimensional space. It's really cool to look up at the ceiling of your house, which often looks like the sky. Everything when we look up typically looks dark. During the lucid dream, my favorite thing is try to find a mirror in your dream and look at your face. That is absolutely a total freak show.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's cheaper than drugs too.
Speaker 6: I would imagine, so yeah, and it's and you can get better at it. I had a swim coach when my son's swim coaches told me one time he was such a good lucid dreamer that he could actually plan out. He could use the time and his dreams constructively. He would think, Okay, well, we're going to swim this team next week. I'm going to construct my relays this way. I'm going to actually sacrifice this relay because I don't think we would beat them. Anyway, and we'll put them in these events, like so we have it all worked out by the time he woke up.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, visually interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's billable hours.
Speaker 3: That's good. That's exactly right.
Speaker 4: And any flim flam you'd like to debunk anything, any myths that you want to dispel.
Speaker 6: Alcohol is terrible for your sleep. Have as much as you want to have it with breakfast.
Speaker 7: Do you want a mimosa?
Speaker 6: In general, you always tell people look sedation and sleep or two different things.
Speaker 3: Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger.
Speaker 6: A lot of people figure these things out the hard way, and it's always upsetting to me that I know people like that, and people out there are going to people for help, and it just seems to be this arms race of how much sedation can we give somebody, So be very careful with that.
Speaker 5: Ps.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of alcohol specifically, it can help sedate you into light sleep. But do you remember how rams sleep in the second part of the night, and it's the one that's restorative for your memory, it's good for your mood and concentration. So alcohol disrupts that. It's kind of like the friend who leads you to a party and then ditches you there and the party sucks. Do not trust it. Alcohol can be kind of a dick that way.
Speaker 6: I think the idea that if you in your dreams, if you you're falling and you hit the ground, you die, I don't think that's the way the case at all. That's not true.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: There's so many great questions your I feel like we've covered everything.
Speaker 4: About What about things too, like counting sheep or the method where you breathe seven in four out.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so.
Speaker 4: This breathing exercise was developed by doctor Andrew Wheel who kind of cribbed it off of pranayama, which is an ancient technique.
Speaker 5: So that gist is you do this.
Speaker 4: You exhale completely through your mouth and you make a whoosh kind of sound, and then you close your lips and hail through your nose as you count to four in.
Speaker 5: Your head, so.
Speaker 4: Four count, hold the breath in for seven seconds, and then over the next eight count in your head, make a wishing exhale from your mouth. So you practice this pattern for four full breaths. You inhale for four, hold for seven, exhale over eight. It's supposed to distract you from anxiety. And calm your nervous system. You're breathing, you're getting oxygen, you're doing math, You're not thinking about whether or not the thing you bought for the office gift exchange was too cheap. But what's my mom's big insomnia trick?
Speaker 5: Here it is.
Speaker 4: I feel like it deserves a soft drum roll. Okay, good, We're gonna call it the sleepy fancy nancy technique. My mom does this thing she taught me that works like a charm where you think of a category like fruits, or boys' names or electronics, and then you go, what's something that starts with a? Okay, apple, be BlackBerry? See, and then you go down and I never make it past like ll, I'm out.
Speaker 5: But do you have anything else like that?
Speaker 3: I think that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Some sample categories you can use for this alphabet game, types of fruit, boys' names, girls' names, gender neutral names, cities, snacks, vacation activities, clothing brands, cereals, items you would keep in a purse, animals, really anything. I've done so many of these. Let me know what some of your sleepy fancy nancy categories are. I'm here for them. I will probably use them. Next time I'm jet lagged in awake on the wrong coast, which will literally be tomorrow.
Speaker 6: So to me, what you're hitting on is something very important and without getting too crazy into it, as you get back to the idea of what insomnia is, it's really not the inability to sleep. But when people who have insomnia really start to struggle, they really start to try to sleep. If I'm sitting out watching television, I'm finishing up watching you Bachelor in Paradise. I can never make it to the Rose finale because I always fall asleep.
Speaker 2: Katie, I accidentally called out the wrong name, and I would like to extend to you the option of staying. We'll say and see how things go.
Speaker 6: Sure, thank you, But then I wake up, I get into bed and I can't fall asleep. Why is that, doctor Winnis, Because when you're watching the Batchel, what are you trying to do? You're trying to figure out if Astrod is going to stick with this guy or she gonna dump him because he sets a dog or whatever like, that's what you're trying to do.
Speaker 3: You're not trying to sleep.
Speaker 6: When you go to bed and you turn the lights off, a lot of people suddenly really start to try to sleep. So you've struck upon something that's very important. Give yourself a task that's not trying to sleep. You're kind of giving yourself sort of a complicated task. You're trying to visualize the letter of the alphabet. Okay, B what's a fruit? Blueberry? Okay, great, see cherry?
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 6: And so now you've decided you're not going to try to sleep. You're just going to relax and name fruit or named boyfriends. We tell our professional athletes all the time. Look, when you go to bed, professional pitcher, I want you to throw thirty perfect pitches before you fall asleep. Oh wow, Visualize the stadium around you, your favorite catcher, you're on the mound, everything, your coat, your pitching coach shows you your arm slot, your movement of the ball. Let go visualize the ball in real time, flying through the air and landing in your catcher's mitt. Look around, scratch yourself, catch the ball when he throws it back to you, and do it again.
Speaker 3: Once you do it thirty times, then you're allowed to fall asleep.
Speaker 6: What's so funny is they'll come back and say, man, Doc, you know I'm trying to do that thing you asked me to do and shoot those free throws before I go to bed, or throw those pitch before we go to bed, and I can only throw about four or five pitches. The next thing, I m alarm clocks going off, right, so I don't tell them.
Speaker 3: Well there.
Speaker 6: That's the point is that you know that I'm trying to get you away from this idea of let me think about trying to sleep, but oh no, I'm not asleep yet.
Speaker 3: What am I gonna do? And try to find something else.
Speaker 6: The other cool thing is that when you pick an activity, so if you're somebody who is a pitcher or a basketball player, you like to do you like to run, or you do some sort of special skill, if you visualize yourself doing that at nine, your brain doesn't differentiate practicing something and actually visualizing it that well. So if you're somebody who likes to play basketball, visualizing yourself shooting those free throws will make you a better ballplayer. So I love the idea that either way, even if you make it through your thirty free throws and want to do thirty more, it's not wasted time. There's a really cool device called meuse, which is a little headband or it's a pair of sunglasses that measures your brain activity and feeds it back to you through your earbuds.
Speaker 3: Is the form of like the sound of the rainforest.
Speaker 6: So when you sit there at lunch time, you finish up your lunch, you put your little muse thing on, you do a little meditation session. You can practice the ability of quieting your mind down, so you can learn what it takes to make the sound of the ocean get really quiet, and then you think about your mother in law, it's really loud again, so you can So now when you go to bed at night, you've gotten very good at this ability to quiet your mind, which either help you fall asleep or allows you to sort of assume this sort of meditative state, which by some studies is just as good as sleep.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: And the cool thing too, is I love this story you gave because you've got this little mechanism that gives you confidence, like you know what to do. I'm gonna get in bed, I'm gonn fall asleep usually no problem. But if I can't, I'll just do what you described. And what's funny is I was talking to a magazine editor one time. I was describing her the benefits of resting and how sleep's great, but resting is very good too. I just don't believe that, you know, even though you're telling me all his research. And I said, yeah, I said, if you just rest it all through the night, you'd be okay the next day. You wouldn't be perfect, but you wouldn't you know. The F word in my clinic is function. You wouldn't be dysfunctional. And she said, gosh, you know, why don't you do that, like prove it, Like, why don't you just rest all night and write an article? But I was like, sure, I'll do that. I've been trying to write this for two years, very exactly what you said. I get in bed, I'm going to like, okay, I'm gonna I want to start off with state capitals. I'll start with Maine. I think it's Augusta, Maine. I think, is that right? And then you know, by the time I get to like Virginia, I'm out cold and the long car goes off.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying really.
Speaker 6: Hard to be in a dark room with my eyes closed, but not sleep. And it's amazing how quickly sleep comes and you try not to do it.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a very good parting words, Let's repeat that.
Speaker 3: And it's amazing how quickly sleep comes and you try not to do it.
Speaker 5: Now, what's your least favorite thing about your job? What sucks the most?
Speaker 3: What sucks the most about my job?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 6: This is a great, great question. I'll step on my soapbox. I love treating patients. I love helping people sleep better. But in our current medical climate, it is very difficult. I'm not trying to paint a sob story here, but it is very difficult for doctors to spend time with patients and get enough money from insurances to keep the lights on their clinic. I read an article in Forbes about how many doctors are literally living paycheck to paycheck, which was funny because one time my wife and I were watching The Bachelor, speaking of the Bachelor, and the host comes out and says, oh, and ladies, he's a doctor, and like all the ladies are like, oh, it's so great, and my wife literally audibly grown. She's like, Oh, it's not the cash cow you think it is. So but the issue really is that the biggest thing I struggle what sucks is that I don't feel like I have the time to devote to my patients sometimes because I've got to see a certain number of people to pay my office staff. Now, being able to lecture, being able to write a book and talk to people like you work with sports teams takes a tremendous pressure off of my clinic that a lot of practitioners, really good practitioners, don't have.
Speaker 3: So hopefully, you.
Speaker 6: Know, we'll be able to kind of work around this and make healthcare affordable but also allow doctors to practice their craft in a way that they can help patients and not feel like they got to see thirty patients in a.
Speaker 7: Day, right.
Speaker 5: I don't think patients like it either.
Speaker 6: They don't, and you know, and I talk pretty freely about it with my patients, like if I'm late or running behind or whatnot. You always try to make sure that every patient can say what they want to say, even if it means I'm going to be a little bit late. For most people, they're they're pretty patient.
Speaker 5: They're pretty patient. So thanks for your patients, patients.
Speaker 4: Fuck, do I have to do another etymology for this one?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 4: I do? I can't not, Okay, So I just looked this up and the root for both patients and patients. Is the Latin for suffering. So next time someone thanks you for your patients, they're saying, literally, thank you for suffering for me, which is kind of endearingly emo. I like that patience and being able to suffer evidently is a virtue.
Speaker 5: And what's your favorite thing about your job?
Speaker 6: My favorite thing about my job is the idea that sleep. Everybody likes to talk about sleep, you know, sleep, and it's one of those things if I go to a party, introduce myself as a neurologist.
Speaker 3: You know, I got a grandmother's got parkins or whatever.
Speaker 6: But if you talk about sleep, everybody's got a story to tell. It's sort of this universal thing and I love to tease other doctors about. You know, I missed that article on Time magazine that said Mysteries of the spleen. You know, like in this poor guy's like devote his life to understanding the spleen. But you know, also, I mean there was a national geographic we subscribe to just recently there was back to back issues on athletic performance, which is near and dear to what I do, and the next issue was sleep. I mean, people love it. It's fascinating. It's cool to talk about the brain's awesome. So you know, if you're like the toa doctor, the spleen doctor, it's not fair.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, I get it.
Speaker 6: It is not fair that media does not pay as much attention to you and all the awesome things that you're doing. So to me, it's just the diversity of different things you can do as sleep.
Speaker 3: Or so much fun.
Speaker 6: I get to talk to people like you and hang out and talk to a baseball pitcher. It's like every day is different, so much fun. Well, I'm so excited you did this. Thank you so so much.
Speaker 3: It's my pleasure anytime.
Speaker 5: So what have we learned?
Speaker 4: Ask smart people stupid questions because it just might change your whole life and your dreams. So once again, Doctor W. Chris Winters is at sportsleep Doc on Twitter W Chris Winter on Instagram. He runs the Charlottesville Neurology and Sleep Medicine Clinic in Charlottesville, Virginia, and his book is called The Sleep Solution, Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It. So if you like his voice, he also reads his own audiobook. I have a copy of his book. I bought it legit style before even booking him. It's really funny, shockingly funny and down to earth and a really great read. But it's packed with tons of neuroscience and tips, so it's really good. Ologies is at Ologies on Instagram and Twitter. I'm Ali Ward with one L on both. I'm also on did I mention Invention every Saturday morning on the CW. In case you want science content that's a little more polished, kid friendly, has zero f words or talk about butts, you can find Ologies merch at ologiesmerch dot com sales help support the making of the show and also helps you find other ologites in the wild. Perhaps you'll spot someone in a shirt. Thank you Shannon Feltis and Bonnie Dootch who reached out to me after episode one to offer to help me make that reality. Also thank you to the mystery person who sent me an envelope of cash in the mail to help support the show and signed it ken damn it, I mean Steve. I'm buying rechargeable batteries for the Zoom recorder like a sensible uncle would. The Ologies Facebook group is popping off full of kind, curious, funny people. Thank you to my dear friends Hannah Lippo and Aaron Talbert for helping run that I love you both. Thank you to Nick Thorburn for writing and performing the theme song, and of course, to Sleep Deprivation poster child Steven Ray Morris for editing these episodes altogether.
Speaker 5: He also makes the.
Speaker 4: Podcasts The per Cast about cats and See Jurassic Wright about dinosaurs, so seek him out for sure. As long as we're on the topic of other podcasts, this week, I'm a guest on one called Wine and Crime. Now these are hilarious ladies, Lucy Kenyon and Amanda, They are olagites. They reached out. It was an honor to be on. I can't even see fake blood on TV without psychologically barfing, and they were kind enough to let me talk about science frauds instead of any stabbings. So if you want some heavy duty gossip about medical bambooslry, some hardcore mythbusting on the shadiest gastroentrologists the world has ever known, do take a listen to this week's episode.
Speaker 5: They are great.
Speaker 4: If somehow you're like, what is this podcast? Here's a primer, Hay.
Speaker 7: True crime fans, So have you listened to Wine and Crime Yet.
Speaker 8: We're a true crime comedy podcast hosted by three childhood friends who chug wine, chat true crime, and unleash our worst Minnesotan accents.
Speaker 7: Each week, U Scal's pick a true crime topic and pair it with the delicious wine before delving into the background in psychology behind the crime.
Speaker 9: Then we share and speculate wildly about a couple of bonkers cases related to the topic.
Speaker 8: Past episodes include necrophilia, cults, crimes of passion, cruise, ship disappearances, Exorcism's Gone Wrong, All This over a bottle of wine, or Let's be Real.
Speaker 9: Three listen anywhere you get your podcasts. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at Wine and Crime Pod, and check out our website and blog at wineancrimepodcast dot com.
Speaker 4: Cheers Okay. At the end of the show on ologies, I tell you a secret, And this week's secret is that this morning I found three imasks aka pinned socks behind my bed. And my other secret is I had this epiphany the other day. Then, when it comes to doing things we've never done or are too scared to do, being scared of doing them and not doing them is way more painful than doing them. Even if you get it a little bit wrong and it's not perfect, you can always do it again. So I started a page in my notebook. I made myself write down all the things that I'm afraid to do, and I let them just kind of pour out of a pen, unjudged. And I was surprised that among them were say no, go to sleep for real. I actually wrote that, so please see part one on sleep procrastination. And then another item was do more live science and comedy events. So I will let you know how I do with tackling those, particularly the last one. And if you have a few minutes and a piece of paper and a writing utensil, will just make yourself write down what you're a little afraid to do, because it might surprise you what you write down, and maybe just give you a little gentle kick in the tush to do them, because it's so much worse to hold back than it is to do to try and fail again. So we might as well just do things as long as we're live, right, Okay, So that's my secret for you this week. I'll let you know how I'm doing on those, and meanwhile, kiss.
Speaker 5: Them sleep cool. Snooze in Okay, Bye.
Speaker 4: Bye pacadermatology, homeiology, crypto zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, patology, ethnology, seriology, ethology.
Speaker 2: Ever get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing cloak card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and Doya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy, chunky chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco. Every little helps available in most stories. Prices varying Express