Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Great to be here today. We're jumping into information security the fundamentals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been digging through some excerpts from that pretty detailed study guide you mentioned, right, and.
Speaker 1: The mission here is well to cut through it all, pull out the really key stuff and basically give you a clearer path to understanding how we protect electronic information today. Because it's a complicated world out there, it really is.
Speaker 2: And you just need to look at the numbers to see why understanding this is so critical right now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean the scale is kind of mind boggling. Over four hundred and fifty thousand new malware types every single day.
Speaker 2: Every day, and think about the total volume. It was what one hundred and eighty two million ten years back, now it's over one point three to four billion. That's just a constant barage.
Speaker 1: It's a huge threat landscape, and that translates into real money, right Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, cybercrime isn't just some abstract threat. The estimates are staggering, maybe ten point five trillion dollars annually by twenty twenty five. That's a massive hit to the global economy.
Speaker 1: Wow, And we need people to fight this. But there's a gap, a.
Speaker 2: Huge gap globally. Even though the cybersecurity workforce has grown, we're still short something like three point four million professionals.
Speaker 1: Over three million needed. That really drives home why getting these fundamentals is so important for everyone, not just the specialist. It's about protecting information on a massive.
Speaker 2: Scale, exactly. So let's dive in the core idea information security. It's really just about protecting electronic information, simple as that sounds, okay, and that protection usually boils down to three key ideas. You've probably heard of them. The CIA triad.
Speaker 1: Right, not the intelligence agency, No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: It stands for confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
Speaker 1: Okay, break those down.
Speaker 2: Confidentiality that's about keeping secrets, making sure only the people who are supposed to see sensitive information can actually.
Speaker 1: See it, right and integrity.
Speaker 2: Integrity is about trust. Is the data accurate? Has it been changed or messed with by someone unauthorized? You need to trust your data is correct.
Speaker 1: Makes sense? And availability.
Speaker 2: Availability just means that the authorized users can get to the information and the systems when they need to. You know, the system is up and running.
Speaker 1: So stopping things like ransomware attacks, which hit all three precisely.
Speaker 2: Ransomware locks you out, that hits availability, It might change files, hitting integrity, and often they threaten to leak the data if you don't pay, that's confidentiality breached. It's a perfect storm against the triad.
Speaker 1: That really clarifies how they link together. Yeah, controlling who sees it, who changes it, and ensuring access. But I heard there's a bit of a trade off, like more security means less convenience. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Generally speaking, the tighter the security, the more hoops users might have to jump through. Finding that sweet spot between really strong protection and usability. That's that's the constant balancing act.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's what we're protecting. Who's trying to break it?
Speaker 2: Who are the attackers, right, thread actors or malicious actors. Historically, you know, maybe it was about fame, proving technical skill, bragging rights, but today overwhelmingly the main driver is money, fortune, financial gain, So less.
Speaker 1: Digital graffiti, more like digital bank robbery exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not just one type of person or group. The landscape of adversaries is really diverse. They vary a lot in you know, skill level, resources, motivation, even whether they're attacking from outside or crucially from inside an organization.
Speaker 1: So what kind of categories are we talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got the less sophisticated end, sometimes called script kitties. They might use tools they found online but don't have deep expertise. Okay, Then you scale up. You have organized crime groups very focused on financial fraud, ransomware, that kind of thing. You have insiders, employees or contractors who misuse their legitimate access.
Speaker 1: That sounds tricky to defend against it is.
Speaker 2: Then there are activists driven by ideology, political or social call and at the top end you have nation state actors sponsored by governments, massive resources, highest scale levels. They're playing a different game entirely. Understanding that whole spectrum is key.
Speaker 1: So knowing that who and why, let's talk how how do these attacks actually work? What are the common methods.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the most common and honestly most effective methods doesn't even rely purely on tech. It's social engineering manipulating people exactly. It plays on human psychology, trust, fear, urgency, our tendency to obey authority. Attackers exploit all of that to trick.
Speaker 1: Someone, how like pretending to be someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they might impersonate an authority figure, maybe someone for it, support or a boss. They might create a sense of panic you need to click this link now, or use intimidation, or they create a whole believable story a pretext to get you to give up info or click something.
Speaker 1: And this is the basis for things like phishing, right, which everyone gets emails about right.
Speaker 2: Phishing is the broad term those mass emails hoping so one bites, but it gets much more focused. How so you have spearfishing, which targets specific people, maybe using information gleaned from social media to make it more convincing. Then there's whaling, which goes after the big fish CEOs CFOs often impersonating another executive.
Speaker 1: Wow. And it's not just email, No.
Speaker 2: The delivery method varies. Smishing uses SMS, texts and vishing voice phishing uses phone calls. Those can be surprisingly effective, especially unfortunately sometimes targeting older individuals who might be more trusting over the phone.
Speaker 1: It's incredible the different angles they try. Okay, what about attacks that bypass tricking the user directly.
Speaker 2: That's where things like supply chain attacks come in. And these are really dangerous because the victim, the end user, often has absolutely no idea they've been compromised.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Compromised hardware, It can be a device could be tampered with during manufacturing or while it's being shipped. Imagine buying a new piece of network gear that already has malware on it. Yeah, very hard for the buyer to spot.
Speaker 1: And software too. You mentioned like updates.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a huge vector. The source material had to really putent. Example, attackers got into the systems of a company that makes network management software. Okay, they injected malicious code into a software update, So when tens of thousands of clients downloaded what looked like a perfectly legitimate.
Speaker 1: Update, they were installing the malware.
Speaker 2: Exactly, over thirty three thousand of them. That one breach in the supply chain spread massively, affecting thousands of organizations downstream. It's incredibly damaging.
Speaker 1: So beyond people and the supply chain, attacks also exploit weaknesses in the tech itself. Right.
Speaker 2: Vulnerabilities, Yes, absolutely, Vulnerabilities are flaws or weaknesses. They can pop up anywhere in the operating system and applications. Those are platform issues in firmware, which is that low level code embedded in hardware that's often hard to update. In legacy platforms, old systems that aren't supported anymore, no more security patches even in brand new hardware if it reaches its end of life, and very very commonly, just simple misconfigurations. Someone didn't set up a system securely, default passwords left unchanged, things like that.
Speaker 1: Right, And we always hear about zero day attacks? What does that mean? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Zero day vulnerability is a specific type of flaw. It's one that's actively being exploited by attackers before the vendor who made the software or hardware, or the wider security community even knows it exists. So zero days of warning precisely, that's why they're so dangerous. When a zero day exploit appears, there's no patch ready, no immediate defense. Attackers have a free run until it's discovered and fixed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when these attacks succeed using social engineering supply chain vulnerabilities, what's the fault? What are the typical impacts?
Speaker 2: The consequences can be really severe. Obviously, there's the impact on data. You could have data loss or data exultration where they steal copies of your data. A formal data breach often leads to identity theft for customers or employees right, that's huge on the data itself. Think about lost productivity. If systems are down because of ransomware or some other attack, the business grinds to a halt. That costs money directly and the reputation that can be the longest lasting damage. And enterprise's reputation takes a massive hit after a major breach, especially if customer data is stolen. Rebuilding that public trust can take years and a lot of investment.
Speaker 1: Okay, that paints a clear picture of the threats. So let's switch to defenses. How do we start building up protection.
Speaker 2: Where's the first layer you actually start in the real world physical security, Because think about it, if someone can just walk up and grab your server or plug into your network closet, a lot of your other digital defenses become kind of moot.
Speaker 1: So locks, fences, security.
Speaker 2: Guards, yep, all of that perimeter defenses like barriers, gates, maybe security guards. Sometimes in very secure areas, they use what's called two person integrity or control, meaning to authorize people have to be present to perform a sensitive action. Reduces the risk of a single insider threat.
Speaker 1: Okay. And sensors, yes.
Speaker 2: Sensors to detect intrusion, passive infrared, pir microwave, ultrasonic, even pressure sensors on floors or fences. Plus monitoring tools like CCTV cameras and increasingly drones for surveillance.
Speaker 1: Night secure the building. What's next the data itself? Does all data need the same locks?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not, and that's where data classification comes in. It's crucial you figure out what data you have and categorize it based on sensitivity.
Speaker 1: And important like top secret versus public.
Speaker 2: Sort of. Yeah, common categories might be sensitive, think trade secrets, personal identifiable information, critical data essential for the business to operate, and public information that can be freely shared. Classifying it lets you apply the right level of security controls. You don't need Fort Knox for the company newsletter, but you do for customer financial data.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense? Focus resources where they matter most? And you mentioned location matters too. Legally, it really does.
Speaker 2: That's data sovereignty. It's the the idea that data is subject to the laws and regulations of the country where it's collected or processed. This is a big deal. Some countries Russia, China, Germany, France or examples, have laws requiring data about their citizens to physically stay within their borders. You can't just store it anywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: That adds another layer of complexity. Okay, let's get into the tech for protecting the data itself making it unreadable.
Speaker 2: Cryptography, right, Cryptography a fundamental building block. It's important to distinguish it from something called stiganography. Stiganography is about hiding the fact that data exists, like hiding a message inside an image file. Cryptography, on the other hand, isn't hiding the existence of the data. It's hiding its meaning, making it unreadable unless you have the key.
Speaker 1: How does that work fundamentally?
Speaker 2: Well, the basic recipe is you take your original data, the readable stuff called plaint text, You combine it with a secret piece of information on the key, and you run both through a mathematical process, the algorithm. The result is scrambled unreadable data the cipher text.
Speaker 1: So plaintext plus key plus algorithm equals ciphertext, and the key is the crucial part.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the algorithms themselves. The mathematical recipes can often be public knowledge. Security experts have vetted them, but the key must be kept secret. That's the lynchpin.
Speaker 1: What does cryptography actually do for us?
Speaker 2: What are the benefits it gives us several key security properties. The obvious one is confidentiality, keeping data secret, but it also provides integrity, ways to check if the data has been altered since it was encrypted. It enables authentication, verifying that someone or something is who they claim to be. It supports non repudiation, proving that a specific person send a message or performed an action they can't deny it later. And it can be used for obfuscation like masking parts of data or replacing sensitive data with tokens.
Speaker 1: And you can use it on data anywhere.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. We talk about protecting data in three states, data in use while it's being actively processed in menory, data in transit while it's moving across a network, and data at rest while it's stored on a hard drive or database. Cryptography applies to all three.
Speaker 1: Are there different ways the keys work? I've heard symmetric and asymmetric.
Speaker 2: Yes, those are the two main types. Symmetric cryptography uses the same secret key to both encrypt and decrypt the data. It's generally faster. Asymmetric cryptography uses a pair of keys that are mathematically linked, a public key and a private key.
Speaker 1: How does that work? One locks the other unlocked.
Speaker 2: Kind of what you encrypt with the public key can only be decrypted with the corresponding private key, and vice versa. This allows for some really powerful things like digital signatures.
Speaker 1: Ah right, how do digital signatures use those keys? Okay?
Speaker 2: Let's say Bob wants to send a message to Alice and prove it's really from him and hasn't been tampered with. He takes his message, calculates a unique fingerprint of it called a hash digest, then he encrypts that small digest using his own private key. Okay, he sends the original message and this encrypted digest to Alice. Alice receives both. She uses Bob's public key, which anyone can have, to decrypt the digest. Then she calculates her own hash digest from the message she received in coomeris them exactly If the digest she calculated matches the one she decrypted using Bob's public key, she knows two things for sure. One the message wasn't changed in transit because the digest match integrity, and two it had to come from Bob because only his private key could have created something that his public key could decrypt. Authentication and non repudiation that's clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it doesn't encrypt the whole message, just proves who sent it and then it's syntactic licely.
Speaker 2: It's very efficient.
Speaker 1: So where do we actually use cryptography in the real world?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's everywhere in software like full disc encryption FD that scrambles your entire laptop hard drive, or Transparent Data Encryption TDE used by databases, and increasingly it's built into hardware like what things like self encrypting drives seds that handle encryption automatically, Hardware security modules HSMs, dedicated devices for securely managing cryptographic keys, Trusted platform modules TPMs, chips on motherboards that help with secure boot processes and key storage, and secure enclaves found in many mobile phone processors.
Speaker 1: So it's embedded deep Yeah. And blockchain is that related?
Speaker 2: It's definitely related. Blockchain technology relies heavily on cryptographic principles, especially hashing and digital signatures to create that shared, immutable, trustworthy ledger.
Speaker 1: Okay, with all this complex math, how do attackers actually break it? Are they cracking the algorithms?
Speaker 2: Well, theoretical attacks against algorithms exist, things like known ciphertext attacks, downgraded attacks trying to force weaker encryption collision attacks against hashing. But honestly, the most common way cryptographic protections fail in the real world is much simpler misconfigurations.
Speaker 1: Human error again.
Speaker 2: Often yes implementing it incorrectly, using weak keys, poor key management practices. Those are far more likely avenues for attackers than actually breaking the underlying math, which is usually incredibly.
Speaker 1: Strong that makes sense, and managing all those keys and identities. That sounds like a job in itself. That leads to PKI Public Key infrastructure exactly.
Speaker 2: PKI is the whole system, the technology policies, procedures for creating, managing, distributing, using, storing, and revoking digital certificates which bind public keys to identities.
Speaker 1: So it's how we trust that a public key actually belongs to who it says it does, right.
Speaker 2: It relies on trusted third parties called certificate authorities CAAs. You have a root CAA which is highly trusted, It issues certificates to intermediate CAAs, who might then issue certificates to end users or servers. It forms a certificate chain of trust. Your browser uses this chain to verify websites identity, for.
Speaker 1: Instance, but certificates can expire or be compromised. How do we know if one is still good?
Speaker 2: That's crucial. We need revocation checking. The main protocol for this is OCSP, the Online Certificate Status protocol. Your browser can query an OCSP responder server to ask is this certificate's still valid? Sometimes the web server gets the OCSP response itself and staples it to the certificate it sends you, which is faster, But there's a known issue called the OCSP soft fail if your browser can't reach the OCSP server for some reason, it might just proceed anyway assuming the certificate is okay, which is an ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like a gap.
Speaker 2: It highlights why proper certificate and key management is so vital. It's complex, and it's a frequent target for attackers because if they can compromise the trust system, they can do a lot of damage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered securing data itself. What about securing it as it travels across networks?
Speaker 2: Right? Securing data and transit. Often this involves creating secure tunnels through untrusted networks like the Internet. The main protocols you hear about are TLS and ip.
Speaker 1: SC TLS that replaced SSL. Right for websites.
Speaker 2: Correct. Transport layer security TLS is the standard now for encrypting communication between your web browser and servers. That little padlock icon you see. Ip sc P security is a broader framework. It works at a lower network layer, the IP layer, and can encrypt and authenticate all IP traffic between two points, like between two corporate sites forming a VPN.
Speaker 1: Got it. Okay, So we've looked at physical security, data classification, crypto, PKI, secure comms. Let's pivot to the devices people actually use, endpoints, laptops, desktops, phones, right.
Speaker 2: Endpoint security hugely important because that's where users interact with data and often where at tax land. First, a major threat category here is malware, malicious software.
Speaker 1: On top of that list seems to be ransomware.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a huge problem. Ransomware either just locks your screen locker ransomware, or more commonly now encrypts all your files crypto ransomware and demands payment for the decryption key. Nasty stuff, and it's evolving. We're seeing more blended attacks. The attackers don't just encrypt your files. They steal a copy of your sensitive data first, then they threaten to release it publicly, even if you manage to restore your files from backup. It gives them extra leverage extortion exactly Beyond ransomware, you have other types of malware designed for spying eavesdropping malware, things like keyloggers that record every keystroke you make, or spyware that monitors your activity, take screenshots, accesses your camera or mic.
Speaker 1: Are classic viruses still around?
Speaker 2: They are. They use various techniques to infect files, like appending their code or splitting it up. They also use methods like mutations to constantly change their digital fingerprint trying to evade detection by antivirus software. Some are even smart enough to check if they're running in a sandbox or if security tools are present, and they'll just shut down to avoid being analyzed.
Speaker 1: And the web browser itself can be an attack vector.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Two common web based attacks are cross site request forgery CSRF and sericide request forgery SSRF.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are those?
Speaker 2: CSRF is clever? It tricks your browser while you're logged into a legitimate site like your bank, into sending an unwonted command to that site from a malicious site or e mail you might visit. It basically hijacks the trust the bank site has in you or your browser session.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: A SSRF is kind of the flip side. It exploits a vulnerability on the server itself, tricking the web server into making requests to other internal systems it wouldn't normally access or even to external systems. It abuses the trust the server has, maybe with other back end systems inside the network.
Speaker 1: Okay, lots of threats targeting endpoints. So what are the main defenses?
Speaker 2: It has to be a layered approach. First, you need good anti virus or anti malware software. Modern versions use signature based detection for known threats, but also heuristic or behavioral analysis to spot suspicious activity even from unknown malware.
Speaker 1: Right. What else?
Speaker 2: Patching seriously keeping your operating system and applications updated with the latest security patches is arguably the single most important thing you can do. Attackers actively reverse engineer patches to figure out the vulnerability they fix, and then they target unpatched systems. Automation helps a lot here, so patch quickly and off absolutely. Then there are OS level protections, things like hardening the system by disabling unused ports, protocols or services using application allow listing where only explicitly approved software is allowed to run rather than trying to block known bad software.
Speaker 1: That sounds more restrictive, but maybe more effective.
Speaker 2: It can be. Yeah, also sandboxing applications running them in isolated containers so if they get compromised, they can't easily affect the rest of the system. And you have host based monitoring.
Speaker 1: Tools like HIDS and HIPS exactly.
Speaker 2: A host based intrusion detection system HIDS monitors logs and activity on a single computer for signs of intrusion. A host based intrusion prevention system HIPS goes a step further and can actively block malicious activity. It detects detection versus prevention.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, mobile devices, phones, tablets, they're basically powerful computers we carry around, but they seem different from a security perspective.
Speaker 2: They are. They've come a long way from old feature phones. Now they run complex OS's apps. Enterprises manage them using different models BYOD bring your own Device CO, corporate own, personally enabled CIOD, choose your own device, trying to balance flexibility and.
Speaker 1: Control, but they carry unique risks.
Speaker 2: Definitely. They spend a lot of time outside the traditional secure corporate network perimeter. They're easily lost or stolen, which means data loss risk, or they could be compromised and used as an entry point back into the network. Right, older devices often stop receiving security updates, becoming vulnerable. The built in geolocation tracking can be a privacy or safety risk, and of course the cameras and microphones could potentially be used for spying if the device is compromised.
Speaker 1: Lots to worry about there. What about really small devices, embedded systems like in cars or industrial controls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, embedded systems often running a real time operating system ARETOS. They're everywhere now. Security can be a real challenge for them because they're often designed with very limited resources, not much processing power, memory, or even battery life. Implementing strong cryptography, for example, can be difficult or impossible on some of these constrained devices.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've secured the physical space, the data, the endpoints, the mobile devices. Now how do organizations control who gets access to what? That seems fundamental?
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. That whole area is called Identity and Access management IAM, and the goal is pretty straightforward, ensure the right users have access to the right resources at the right times and for the right reasons.
Speaker 1: Control and Step one is proving you are who you say you are. Authentication. You mentioned three factors right.
Speaker 2: The three classic factors are something you know, something you have, and something you are.
Speaker 1: Okay, something you know that's passwords.
Speaker 2: Right, typically yes, passwords or pass raises. It's worth noting servers generally don't store your actual password. They store a cryptographic hash or digest of it. But the big problem with passwords is us human memory.
Speaker 1: We choose bad ones we often do.
Speaker 2: We pick weak ones, short common words, predictable patterns, personal information, or we reuse the same password everywhere, which is a huge risk if one site gets breached. Our brains just aren't built for remembering dozens of unique, complex passwords, which.
Speaker 1: Makes it easier for attackers. How do they correct passwords?
Speaker 2: Several ways? They use automated dictionary attacks, trying common words, brute force attacks, trying every possible combination, especially for short passwords. If they have lists of usernames and passwords from previous breaches, they'll try credential sluffing just trying those pairs on other websites, or rule attacks where they try variations like adding numbers or symbols to common words.
Speaker 1: So what are better options than just passwords.
Speaker 2: The other factors exactly something you have refers to a physical object, things like security key is, those little USB dongles or smart cards that you need to physically possess to authenticate, much harder to steal remotely than a password.
Speaker 1: Okay, and something you are.
Speaker 2: That's biometrics, Yes, biometrics using unique, biological or behavioral t rates. You have physiological biometrics things related to your body, fingerprints, retina or iris scans, facial recognition, voice patterns, even the vein patterns in your hand. These use specialized scanners or increasingly, the sensors already in phones and laptops. There's also cognitive biometrics based on how you think or unique life experiences, harder to implement but very difficult to fake. And behavioral biometrics, which is about something you do uniquely, like the rhythm and speed of your typing keystroke dynamics.
Speaker 1: Biometrics sound futuristic, but are they perfect?
Speaker 2: Not quite. They can be issues with accuracy, false positives, false negatives. There are privacy concerns about storing biometric data, and unlike a password, you can't easily change your fingerprint if it gets compromised somehow, So often the strongest authentication uses multiple factors together.
Speaker 1: MFA multi factor authentication. Okay, so once you're authenticated, you still need to control what that person can actually do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. That's access controls, they limit privileges. There are different models how this is done. Common ones include DC discretionary access control, where the owner of a file or resource decides who gets access. MA mandatory access control is much stricter, using system wide policies and labels often seen in military or high security government systems, and RBAC. Role based access control is very common in businesses. Permissions are assigned based on a user's job role, not individually.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers controlling user access. Let's broaden out again to the infrastructure itself. The network's connecting everything. Why are networks such a big.
Speaker 2: Target Because they connect everything. If an attacker can compromise the network, they can potentially access or disrupt many many devices and systems all at once. A single network vulnerability can have widespread impact.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. What kind of attacks happen at the network level.
Speaker 2: We see things like Man in the middle MITM attacks, where the attacker secretly sits between two communicating parties. Intercepting or even altering the traffic. DNS poisons or hijacking messes with the system that translates website names into IP addresses, redirecting users to malicious sites. DTA DOST Distributed denial of service attacks are huge. They flood a target server or network with so much junket traffic that legitimate users can't get through. Often launched using botnet's armies of compromised computers or increasingly vulnerable Internet of Things devices. Think baby monitors, smart thermostats, garage door openers, all roped into an attack.
Speaker 1: Wow, everyday gadgets used for attacks any others?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Attacks can also target fundamental weaknesses in how local networks operate, like at OSI Layer two. It wasn't originally designed with strong security in mind.
Speaker 1: So how do we defend the network itself?
Speaker 2: Again? Layers at the edge, router ACL's access control lists act as basic filters, blocking unwanted traffic based on IP addresses reports. They're used both on external routers facing the Internet and internally to segment traffic. They can also help prevent IP address boofing and fire firewalls are critical. They enforce the security policy, deciding what traffic is allowed or denied based on rules, direction, priority, time of day, maybe even application context. You have stateless firewalls that look at packets individually and stateful firewalls that track the state of connections, which is more secure.
Speaker 1: Different types of firewalls too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Web application firewalls wafs specifically protect web servers from web based attacks. Next generation firewalls and gfw's offer more advanced inspection, looking deeper into the traffic and UTM Unified threat management devices bundle multiple security functions firewall intrusion prevention, VPN, etc. Into one box. Some firewalls operate all the way up to OSI layer seven the application layer.
Speaker 1: Is it just about the devices or how you structure the network?
Speaker 2: Network design is hugely important. Being proactive using vlands virtual local area networks helps segment the network. If one segment gets breached, it's harder for attackers to move laterally to up parts. In DMZs, I've heard that term DMZs or demilitarized zones, it's a buffer network. You place publicly accessible servers like your web server in this separate network segment between your trusted internal network and the untrusted Internet. It's typically protected by firewalls. You can have a single firewall design or more securely, a dual firewall setup, creating a screened subnet.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about newer concepts like zero trust?
Speaker 2: Zero trust architecture is a major shift. The core idea is never trust, always verify. Don't assume that because a connection is coming from inside your network, it's automatically trusted. Every single access request, regardless of origin, has to be strictly authenticated and authorized based on policy, usually managed by a central policy engine.
Speaker 1: That sounds much more rigorous anything else.
Speaker 2: For network defense, network access control NAC solutions are important. They check the security posture of a device before allowing it to connect to the network. Is its anti virus up to date? Does it have the latest patches? It can use an agent installed on the endpoint or be agent lists.
Speaker 1: So you have all these defenses, how do you know if something is getting through monitoring exactly?
Speaker 2: Monitoring and alerting are crucial for detecting attacks or suspicious activity that might bypass preventative controls. You need visibility.
Speaker 1: How do you monitor?
Speaker 2: What methodologies different approaches? You can look for anomalies deviations from established baseline behavior. You can use signature based detection looking for known patterns of attack. You can analyze behavior as a user or system acting unusually, or use heuristics rules of thumb about suspicious activity.
Speaker 1: What tools help with this?
Speaker 2: You have packet analysis tools like wire shark or TCP dump that let you look at the raw data packets flying across the network. Flow analysis tools like NetFlow, s flow or IPFX provide higher level visibility into traffic patterns, who's talking to whom, how much data, and crucially SIME systems Security information and event management. These are central platforms that collect logs and event data from all sorts of devices across your network, firewalls, servers, endpoints, applications. They aggregate this data, correlate events to identify potential incidents, generate alerts, and provide tools for analysis and reporting. They're essential for managing the flood of security data.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay, let's talk Wireless, Wi Fi and Bluetooth add complexity because the signals don't stop at the building walls right.
Speaker 2: That creates what some call blurred edges. Your security perimeter isn't just the physical boundary anymore. It extends wherever the radio frequency signals reach multiple potential entry points.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Bluetooth, any specific risks there.
Speaker 2: Bluetooth uses small short range networks called peacanets. Over the years, different versions like Classic Bread, y AAR, and low Energy le have emerged. Attacks have included things like bluejacking, sending annoying unsolicited messages to nearby devices and blue snarfing, which is more serious involving actual data theft from a vulnerable Bluetooth.
Speaker 1: Device and Wi Fi. It seems like the security standards have changed a lot.
Speaker 2: They really have, driven by new tech, needing more speed using different parts of the radio spectrum, and definitely needing stronger security. We started with WEP, which turned out to be badly flawed, then WPS for easy setup also proved vulnerable. We moved to WPA, then WPA two, which introduced much stronger encryption like AESCCMP and better authentication methods, especially aight oh two point one XEAP for enterprise networks. And now the current standard is WPA three, which offers significant security enhancements over WPA two, including protection against offline dictionary attacks and a more secure WPA three enterprise mode with optional one ninety two bit security.
Speaker 1: So using WPA three is key. What kind of attacks specifically target wireless lands.
Speaker 2: A big one is setting up rogue access points. Someone plugs an unauthorized wireless router into your network, potentially bypassing all your carefully configured security. Wireless denial of service tax are also common, either jamming the radio signals with noise or sending spoof disassociation packets to constantly care kick legitimate users off the network.
Speaker 1: How do you defend against those.
Speaker 2: Beyond using the strongest standards like WPA three and strong authentication, practical measures are important. Conducting wireless site surveys helps understand where your signal is going and identify potential dead spots or areas where signal bleeds excessively outside your intended coverage area. You can then configure aps, adjust power levels, maybe use directional antennas to control the signal footprint better.
Speaker 1: And finding those rogue aps.
Speaker 2: You need tools for that. Regularly scanning the airwaves with wireless probes or integrated security systems helps detect unauthorized aps broadcasting in your space. Oh and while some people use my address filtering only allowing devices with specific hardware addresses, it's generally considered a weak control because MA addresses can be easily spoofed or changed by attackers.
Speaker 1: Good to know. Okay, shifting to the cloud, so much computing happens there now it does.
Speaker 2: Cloud computing just means accessing computing resources, servers, storage software over the Internet from a provider, rather than running it all your self on premises. You also hear about edge and fog computing, pushing computation closer to where data is generated.
Speaker 1: Different types of clouds too, right public.
Speaker 2: Private Public clouds are shared resources like AWS or Azure. Private clouds are dedicated to a single organization. Community clouds are shared by several organizations with common interests, and hybrid clouds mix elements of public and private.
Speaker 1: And how applications are built as changing too. Micro services.
Speaker 2: Traditionally, applications were often big, monolithic blocks of code. The trend now is towards micro services. Breaking down applications into smaller, independent, specialized services that communicate with each other. Offers flexibility but adds complexity, and we access.
Speaker 1: Cloud resources in different ways.
Speaker 2: Sas posis exactly those are the main service models. Sas software as a service is ready to use software like email or CRM delivered over the web PIS. Platform as a service provides the platform, OS database development tools for you to build and run your own apps. IS Infrastructure as a service gives you the basic building blocks virtual machines, storage networks, and you manage almost everything else. SaaS just means anything as a service.
Speaker 1: What's the big security headache with cloud?
Speaker 2: One of the biggest challenges is often just confusion over the shared responsibility matrix. Who is responsible for securing what? The cloud provider handles security of the cloud the physical infrastructure, but the customer is responsible for security in the cloud. How they can figure services, manage data, secure applications. It varies depending on the service model. Is versus pious versus selling, and misunderstandings here can lead to serious gaps. Plus, you inherently have less direct control than with on prem.
Speaker 1: Systems, So how do you mitigate those cloud risks?
Speaker 2: Regular cloud security audits are essential. Leveraging the provider's architecture for resilience. Using multiple regions and availability zones helps with uptime and disaster recovery, and particularly with micro services, robust secrets management becomes critical. How do you securely handle passwords, apikeys and certificates that all these little services need to talk to each other, you need specialized tools for that.
Speaker 1: Virtualization underlies a lot of this right running multiple virtual machines on one physical box.
Speaker 2: Yes, virtualization is fundamental to cloud computing and modern data centers. Huge advantages and flexibility, host availability, elasticity, resource utilization, and cost reduction. It introduces some security considerations, like securing the hypervisor, but it also enables powerful networking concepts like sen Right. Software defined networking SDN separates the network's brain, the control plane, from the packet forwarding part, the data plane. This allows for centralized management and automation of network configuration. As do you want to apply similar principles to wide area networks, optimizing traffic flow and security across geographically dispersed sites, often over standard Internet connections.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about finding weaknesses proactively. Vulnerability management crucial area.
Speaker 2: It starts with vulnerability scanning. This is typically an automated process that scans your systems and networks looking for known weaknesses, missing patches, insecure configurations, vulnerable software versions.
Speaker 1: What's the goal of scanning?
Speaker 2: To identify and monitor your vulnerabilities, track progress and fixing them, reduce your overall attack surface and often to serve as an audit or compliance check. It's defensive and it's often guided by threat intelligence.
Speaker 1: What exactly is threat intelligence?
Speaker 2: It's about gathering and analyzing information about threats and thread actors. Who are they, what are their motivations, what tools and techniques do they use? Who are they targeting. Having this intelligence helps you shift from just reacting to a text to being more proactive, anticipating threats and prioritizing defenses based on what's actually happening out there. You get it from internal logs, public feeds, commercial providers, information sharing groups.
Speaker 1: When you've read a vulnerability scan, what choices do you make?
Speaker 2: Key decisions include the scope, exactly what systems or networks are you scanning, the timing, when do you stand to minimize disruption, and how do you scan?
Speaker 1: What are the options there?
Speaker 2: Active scanning sends probes to systems to check for responses, while passive scanning just listens to network traffic. You can stand from an internal perspective inside your network or external from the Internet, and a big one is credentialed versus non credentialed scanning. What's the difference a non credentialed scan sees your systems like an outside attacker would without any login privileges. A credentialed scan logs into the systems using provided credentials, allowing it to look much deeper, checking patch levels, detailed configuration settings, software versions installed. It gives a more accurate picture of vulnerabilities, but requires providing credentials securely.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, how does a penetration test differ from that? It sounds similar.
Speaker 2: It's a really important distinction. A vulnerability scan is defensive. It finds and lists potential weaknesses. A penetration test or pen test is offensive. It simulates a real attack. The testers actively try to exploit the vulnerabilities found and maybe others they discover to see if they can actually gain unauthorized access, steal data, or disrupt systems.
Speaker 1: So scanning finds the holes, pen testing tries to crawl through them exactly.
Speaker 2: Pen testers can be internal or external. They use reconnaissance techniques, passive gathering public info, and active probing systems just like real attackers before attempting exploitation. It's a much more hands on adversarial assessment.
Speaker 1: So you get results from scans from pen tests, a list of vulnerabilities do you just.
Speaker 2: Fix everything, not necessarily and often not immediately. Resources, time, money, people are always limited. You have to prioritize based on risk. Which vulnerabilities pose the greatest actual threat. You consider the likelihood of exploitation and the potential impact if it happens within the context of your specific environment.
Speaker 1: So some might be low risk right.
Speaker 2: A vulnerability might exist but be very hard to exploit in your setup, or the impact might be minimal, or the cost and effort to fix it might be disproportionately high compared to the risk. It become the risk management decision.
Speaker 1: That leads nicely into operations and management. What happens when things do go wrong a disaster, a major outage, a successful attack.
Speaker 2: That's where business continuity planning ECP and disaster recovery planning DRP are essential. BCP is the broader plan to keep essential business functions running during a disruption. DRP is specifically focused on recovering it, systems and infrastructure after a disaster event, natural disaster, fire, major cyber attack.
Speaker 1: Part of that is having backups.
Speaker 2: Redundancy Absolutely redundancy is key planning for failure. This includes having backup data, backup power, backup network, links. It can also mean having redundant physical.
Speaker 1: Sites different types of backup sites.
Speaker 2: Yes, a cold site is just space and basic utilities. You have to bring in all the equipment, so recovery takes weeks. A warm site has equipment, but maybe not the latest data or configurations. Recovery takes days. A hot site is basically a duplicate data center, fully equipped and with data synchronized, allowing for recovery in hours or even minutes. Data redundancy on disk drives is also common, using ray levels like level one, marroring or duplexing to protect against drive failure and keeping.
Speaker 1: Track of what's happening normally is vital for spotting problems.
Speaker 2: Constantly, logo from operating systems, applications, network devices, security tools produces a huge amount of data. Monitoring these logs and system performance is critical. Tools like NetFlow s flow IPFX help monitor network traffic patterns and again SIME systems are central to aggregating and analyzing all these logs to spot potential incidents.
Speaker 1: And if you do spot an incident.
Speaker 2: You need a plan, an Incident Response IR plan. This outlines the steps to take preparation, identification, containment, eradication, recovery, and lessons learned. It's crucial to have this defined before an incident happens, and you need to test the plan regularly through tabletop exercises, simulations, etc.
Speaker 1: What about gathering evidence after an incident, maybe for legal reasons.
Speaker 2: That falls under digital forensics. It's the science of retrieving information from digital devices, often data that's been hidden, deleted, or altered. It follows strict procedures securing the scene, preserving evidence integrity, maintaining a documented chain of custody to ensure the evidence is admissible in court. Includes things like e discoverer for legal cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's boom out one last time. To Highest Level Governance, Risk and Compliance GRC, how does this fit?
Speaker 2: GRC provides the overarching structure. Governance sets the direction, defining security policies, roles responsibilities, insuring security aligns with business goals, monitoring performance reporting. Compliance is about adhering to external rules laws like GDPR for data privacy regulations, industry standards PCIDSS for payment cards. It often involves regular security testing and auditing internal or external to arify that controls.
Speaker 1: Are effective, and risk management ties into this.
Speaker 2: Yes, risk management is the core process. You identify potential risks, you assess their likelihood and impact, maybe using metrics like meantime between failures or MTBF for likelihood. You prioritize them, and then you decide how to address each risk. There's often debate about how frequently formal risk assessment should be done, but it's an ongoing cycle.
Speaker 1: How do you calculate risk likelihood times impact?
Speaker 2: That's the basic formula. Yes, estimating likelihood and impact can be quantitative using numbers, or qualitative using high, medium, low rankings. Once you've assessed the risk, you choose a risk response strategy.
Speaker 1: What are the options?
Speaker 2: You can transfer the risk, often through things like cyber insurance. You can avoid the risk, maybe by deciding not to implement a certain technology or engage in a certain activity. You can mitigate the risk, implement controls to reduce its likelihood or impact. Or you can accept the risk, make a conscious decision to do nothing, usually because the risksk is low or the cost of mitigation is too high, but you document that decision.
Speaker 1: And this applies to suppliers and partners. To third party.
Speaker 2: Risk hugely important. Third party risk management is critical for securing your supply chain. You need processes to vet vendors who handle your data or connect to your systems. This might involve security questionnaires, requiring them to undergo penetration testing including right to audit clauses and contracts, and setting clear security expectations.
Speaker 1: You also need to know what you're actually protecting.
Speaker 2: Asset management exactly asset management and specifically cybersecurity. Asset management. It's about identifying, classifying, and managing all the assets hardware, software, data, intellectual property that support your business objectives and need protection. This includes tracking physical assets using barcodes, RFID, GPS, which is more involved than just counting them inventory or discovering them on the network enumeration.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last crucial piece the people we talked about social engineering earlier.
Speaker 2: Which brings us full circle to user awareness and training. It's absolutely essential. You can have the best technology in the world, but if users click malicious links, reuse passwords, or handle data insecurely, you're still vulnerable. Security is a shared responsibility.
Speaker 1: And training needs to be effective.
Speaker 2: Yes, it needs to be practical, relevant to the threats people actually face, engaging and ongoing, not just a once a year checkbox exercise. Things like phishing, simulations can be really effective at reinforcing learning and measuring awareness levels. It's challenging but vital, and.
Speaker 1: When data reaches the end of its life, getting rid of it securely right.
Speaker 2: Data destruction, You can't just drag a file to the trash can. For paper, methods include burning, shredding, cross cut is better, pulping or pulverizing. For electronic media, the OS delete command just removes the pointer to the file. That's called purging. The data is often still recoverable. You need proper data sanitation, using software to overwrite the data sectors multiple times, or for magnetic media like hard drives or tapes, degaussing using a powerful magnet destroys the data. Physical destruction is also an option.
Speaker 1: Wow, we have covered an incredible amount of ground here from the absolute basics, the CIA triad through attackers, attack methods, layers upon layers of defense, physical data, cryptopki endpoints, networks, cloud.
Speaker 2: Then operations, incident response, forensics, governance, risk compliance, asset management, user training.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, it really is. So looking forward, where is all this heading? Automation and AI seem to be big buzzwords.
Speaker 2: They are, and for good reason. The sheer volume of security data, logs, alerts in the speed at which attacks happen today are just too much for human teams to handle alone. Automation is becoming essential.
Speaker 1: How is automation used in many ways?
Speaker 2: Automating security checks within software development pipelines CICD, using scripting for repetitive tasks, having security guardrails, and automated system provisioning. Using automated security groups in the cloud to dynamically adjust access based on threats. It helps scale defenses and speed up response.
Speaker 1: And Artificial intelligence AI is that just smarter automation.
Speaker 2: It's related but different. Data analytics, which we've used for a while, typically relies on humans defining rules or models to find patterns in mostly historical data. AI ideally aims to be more autonomous, dynamic, and iterative. AI systems can potentially learn from data, adapt over time, and identify novel patterns or threats without being explicitly programmed for them.
Speaker 1: So how might AI be used specifically in security?
Speaker 2: The potential is huge, really across the board before an attack, maybe for more accurate predictive analysis of threats during an attack, for a faster detection correlation of complex events across different systems and even coordinating automated responses and after an attack for deeper forensic analysis and learning to improve defenses. But there are risks too, Oh, Absolutely, Using AI insecurity introduces its own set of challenges and risks, potential biases and algorithms, the possibility of attackers manipulating the AI, ensuring transparency and explain ability. It's not a magic bullet, but it's definitely a major area of development.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been incredibly thorough. It's clear that information security is this vast, interconnected and constantly shifting field. We've gone from basic principles to highly technical controls, operational processes, and strategic management.
Speaker 2: It's definitely complex, but hopefully breaking it down like this shows how the pieces fit together. And having at least a foundational understanding of these concepts is I think, really crucial for anyone in today's digital world.
Speaker 1: I agree. It really underscores that shared responsibility idea and thinking about how central people are both as targets for attacks like social engineering and is a key part of the defense through awareness. Makes you wonder, here's a final thought for you listening how much does your own personal cybersecurity awareness really contribute to that bigger picture of global security. Something to think about,