Speaker 1: Hey, Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this Week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. So I'm at the gym a couple of days ago and there's this lady on the exercise bike and she's wearing a helmet on the exercise bike. So I put on a lifejacket and got on the rowing machine next to her. Hey, it's been a couple of weeks since we talked to you. Welcome back to Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin's the Flat and Patrick Hines. So we're going to try to catch up by doing last week's stories and last last week's stories.
Speaker 2: Three hour show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, starting with last last week's stories, but in conclusion, you might conclude at the end of these stories that we are kind of becoming obsolete because they're coming so fast that you won't have time to patch.
Speaker 2: Right, just beyond twenty four to seven security this moment, just to lead your own system security right now.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start with this Indian Express story, no warning, no confirmation, how an AI agent deleted a startups critical data.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, it's stupidity.
Speaker 1: Pad CAAC problems exists between keyboard and chair. Yeah, this is total stupidity. This is basically giving agency to agents and giving them access to things that they shouldn't have access to, something we've been warning people against.
Speaker 2: If we've been developing between us probably seventy years. Okay, yeah, I think you're probably right. Yeah, And I don't edit in production, do you?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 2: Now, why would you give AI access to productions? There was a story back. I think it was a couple of months ago. Actually it was about a month ago that Amazon was down one of their systems. It wasn't a primary system, it was an important system, and it's because somebody pointed an AI agent at it and had it do an update, and it decided I'm going to delete it. First and start fresh. It was down for twelve hours.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So this is a this is a bone headed mistake. That is, it could only be done by somebody who really doesn't get development. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just can't trust AI. So my wife and I retimes, Yeah, I know, my wife and I, you can't trust AI.
Speaker 2: That's the moral of the story.
Speaker 3: We're looking, we're looking to make to get our deck in our deck. Our porch is falling apart. So my wife took a picture of the porch and put it up in AI. And there's six columns on the porch, six pillars holding the every foot. She wanted to take the third one out. So I put the picture up there and I said, hey, can you label these from left to right one through six. I'd like to take the third one out, just so it knows which one the third one was, right. So it labeled them one through six and took the third one out. Just the third one had no label. All the restroom were labeled except for that third one. It took the label out and I was like, I don't even know what to do with you.
Speaker 1: I'm just get two.
Speaker 2: Ballons of milk.
Speaker 1: And if they have eggs, get a dozen.
Speaker 2: It did it go?
Speaker 3: But it was so close My wife and I just looked at it and went like what never mind. Yeah, so it's all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right now, AI must be curated by people who are smart enough to know when it's incorrect.
Speaker 2: Yep. You shouldn't let AI access to things that you wouldn't let a a average high school student touch. Or a chime production is something touch.
Speaker 1: A child with a high IQ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I work at a high school.
Speaker 3: It's like that. Most most of them are pretty high IQs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even they don't edit production.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't get access to Bank of America's production.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So this is pocket Os right is the company Texas based car rental business, and the incident reportedly took place over the weekend. When it's autonomous AI tool erase the database and all backups in nine seconds.
Speaker 2: Well, at least it gets points for efficiency.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's what I will tell you though. At some point, somebody's gonna have a bad quarter, somebody's gonna get random word, somebody's gonna have something bad that happens, and they're just gonna go, oh, you know what, AI did it. We lost all our stuff because of AI.
Speaker 2: Right, I think that makes them look better.
Speaker 3: I don't know at this point. Maybe it does where they're like, oh that darn AI as opposed to yeah, we didn't put the proper security things in place to not get ransomword.
Speaker 1: Right, So bonus points if you can name the coding agent that oh oh oh. And now Dwayne's reading the article more carefully.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm frantically reading through the article.
Speaker 1: It was cursor, It was cursor.
Speaker 2: Was it cursor?
Speaker 1: It was running. It was running on Claude Opus four point six, which is widely known as.
Speaker 3: Oh see, that's the problem. Opus four to seven's out. I mean, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: I said last week it was the most advanced and capable model for coding. Apparently, according to.
Speaker 3: This article, I mean, it leads in deletions. Here's the deal, though, I honestly I don't use Opus for coding. Opus as great as a deep thinker and a planner. Yeah, I usually use Codex yeah for coding, So sonic listen, I'd say pocket os coding's in the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta Claude's on.
Speaker 1: It is good.
Speaker 3: You got to use the proper model for the proper.
Speaker 1: Thing, Claude so on, it's really good for what I.
Speaker 3: Do, Claud's on, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And even if you were to do like an opus planning layer where it does some really deep dive planning but doesn't write any code, but then you use a sonnet to do all the code writing and then maybe a codex as your tester and testing layer, that's probably will be way more stable than just open.
Speaker 2: You'd still never let it touch production directly.
Speaker 3: Oh heck no, yeah, absolutely no, it's.
Speaker 2: The fundamental takeaway here. I agree with you, but that's the fundamental takeaway.
Speaker 1: All right. I love the I love the stories where we get to wag our finger at people that are.
Speaker 3: Again, isn't that redundant?
Speaker 2: Isn't that just a little isn't that just the stories?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, Duane, why don't you take this one about Kelp, the Kelp.
Speaker 2: My favorite Beatles albums Kelp, and.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic ride and whatever. No, this is a DeFi hack, so you'll see the start with the headline for those of you. All right, all right, let's start with the headline Hackers target DeFi Protocol KELP DAO and a massive three hundred million dollar xploit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So here's typically for those of you who haven't gone into blockchain contracts and how it all works. If you make well, obviously, the the chain is indelible, right, it's immutable, it can't be changed. So if I make a transaction, it's read only right when it gets to the chain. But when it gets approved, it has to be approved typically by multiple notes, a majority of the notes, right, and and each contract is different as to what that looks like, but call it a majority, right, So one percent plus one? Yeah, on this security this week, two of us out of three.
Speaker 1: Does that mean everybody who uses the blockchain has the vote on all these transactions?
Speaker 3: So? No, it, Like I said, that's where it depends. Sometimes there's trusted nodes, because what you don't want is, hey, let's put a million different random you know, vms up there, and they get they get a vote, and now I can tell them how to vote.
Speaker 2: Supposedly the government tried to do that early on in blockchain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, well they I supposedly they tried to do it with onion routing as well, And I don't think any of that's actually real.
Speaker 1: But only onion routing that happens in this house is in my kitchen when I'm cooking, especially French onion soup.
Speaker 3: Mm. So it's a majority.
Speaker 1: What is onion routing?
Speaker 3: Tore network so yeah, tour network so oh okay, yeah. So anyways, so it's a majority, or it's trusted nodes that vote, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And that's why a lot of it is considered quite you know, quite reasonable, quite trustworthy, right, where a majority of us have to say, yes, this is an actual like I'm Scarity this week, right, the story of us. Two of us have to say, you know what, this is a great story for us to put it on the show. You guys can decide whether all of us are wrong or not, but needless to say often, yeah, often often that we're wrong, but needs say in this particular case, that was all working fine. And in this particular, in this particular issue, there was a restake of eth where you could not only have it on this particular chain, but it could go cross chain. So I could say, oh, we're restaking it on chain A, but let's move it over to change.
Speaker 2: So those who aren't Crypto Bros. So Ether. Ethereum is a very prominent coin and one of the things you can do is stake it. So that means if you have one hundred coins, congratulations, there's a lot of money. You can take those coins and stake them and earn a percentage back. And it is a way to to have people put skin in the game and earn earn credits, earn crypto without having to have their machine pollute and.
Speaker 1: Like selling shares or something.
Speaker 2: It's almost like getting interest on your investment. Yep, it's more like that, I have a thousand eths, so I'll get a couple of eighth a month, so interest if I stake it.
Speaker 1: Is there any risk in staking your.
Speaker 2: Eth Yes, because when you stake it, you can't unstake it. You can't sell it after unstaking it for like seven days or something like that. So there's a cooling off period. So when you stake it, it's not liquid. You can't just unstake it and sell it.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: So if Ethereum tanks in the next two days.
Speaker 2: You're stuck.
Speaker 1: You're stuck. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the period was, and I'm sure it's changed. So this is them manipulating that staking and restaking process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in this particular case, they wanted to give the users the ability to use multiple chains, right, not just a single chain. So there's a message that goes back and forth.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, what was they the hackers this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, this is your your KELP d O and KELP is crypto exchange, a crypto exchange, okay, yeah, call it a crypto exchange, all right.
Speaker 1: So these are the guys that were doing the bad stuff.
Speaker 3: No, these are the guys who are do the normal stuff. This is like coinbase, this is like like whatever, Like we have their system. Yeah, we have customers who log in and they have ETH and they they stake it and restake it and do whatever and whatever. Right, the bad guys, what they did is the when you try and stake that ETH and either move it around to different chains. The bad guys actually targeted the messaging system between chains. Remember the chain he for it to get on the chain and for its to be a valid transaction, a majority have to agree and be that chain is read only. But when it moves from chain to chain, in this particular case, there's a message that comes in and says, hey, by the way, I'm going to take this steak deep. Then we're going to keep it on this chain over here for a little while, and then we'll move it back.
Speaker 2: Does that literally mean it's off the chain?
Speaker 1: I remember the early days of cryptocurrency and some very smart people that Patrick and I both know, and you probably know who I'm talking about, said this is so great. You can't hack it. It's like stone solid. And I was like, oh, yeah, sure, based on something that's digital that exists nowhere except in some computer somewhere. And you're telling me that it's not hackable. Come on.
Speaker 2: So it's like communism. It sounds great, it just doesn't work in real life now. I mean, cryptos blockchain has some real powerful things, but the problem is the implementation. And as we'll see when Dwayne explains or we explain, there was an implementation detail that was kind of a convenience that was arranged that was exploited, correct Wing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, you're right, Patrick. So just so we're completely clear on how this all works, the KELP DAO is a restaking protocol for DI for DeFi, so that could be used by any exchange. Right. The restaking ether is KELP sort of what they call a liquid restaking token. So it's a token that can move from chain to chain. They're using a messaging protocol called Layer zero. Now Layer zero is a cross chain messaging bridge protocol used by KELP. So I don't want I didn't want to go into too much detail, but now that we're asking a little bit more questions, I wanted to make sure like everybody kind of understands what's going on. So we have a protocol that's handling a liquid token. That liquid token can move from chain the chain based on a message that comes in. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: And what makes it liquid?
Speaker 3: So that what makes it liquid, my gas would be is because it can actually move around and it's not indelible. But I'd have to dig into that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it can change.
Speaker 3: So but more really on the hack. The hack is at that layer zero, that cross chain messaging. Right, So getting a token on the chain, getting a token approved obviously majority and all that good stuff. But getting a token to move from chain to chain only required one verifyer and there so one person sent a message in saying, oh, by the way, I have three hundred million dollars worth of restake teth put it on the chain and I verify it. All the chains were like, yeah, sure, that's cool, awesome, let's do that.
Speaker 2: Who verifies it? I do, Oh okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's me I verified it or my buddy Patrick verified it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh okay. That's the problem. That's the part that's where they violated the i'm directive.
Speaker 1: So they got there wasn't a man in the middle kind of attack where they got into the exchange of messages.
Speaker 3: Now you can issue these messages, like if you're participating in the change, generally you have the ability to issue some of these messages. There's even with ethereum and that sort of stuff. If you're a node that can make you know that yes, this is a valid transaction. Lots of times when we were doing when you remember mining crypto, sure right, there were different ways to mind crypto. One was trying to solve a mathematical problem. There's another way where you could have spent your CPU cycles, which was I'm going to spend CPU cycles in verifying transactions, right and become part of the network. So you could be a node that verifies transactions. Yeah, and I listen, I've done this in a while. But I know with eth, for example, if you had I think it was thirty thousand dollars worth eth a in a wallet, you could then be a verification node. If you staked your ETH in that node and said, yeah, I stake my thirty grand to say, yeah, we're making these transactions appropriately, you'd earn ETH on that, and you'd earn ETH for doing the verifications and that sort of stuff. So it was it was when mining really wasn't viable anymore, but you could still verify transactions.
Speaker 1: In the days of mining crypto are over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. I mean yeah for the normal household user, yes, I would say that you just don't have the amount of compute and electricity to really mine anything. And there are still, i mean there are still some minable tokens, but you're not getting much for them. Okay, So just so we're all sort of clear on this process, KELP dio is a DeFi restaking protocol, not an exchange the stolen asset, the thing that they created out of thin air, although is an all crypto kind of created out of thin air. Is this restaked eth or rs eth KELP liquid restaking tokens that's what that is. And the failure here happened in layer zero with that cross cross bridge messaging communications right where they just required one of one verifier, which is a no good.
Speaker 1: And so these hackers got away with or did they get caught this three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: For three hundred million dollars of eth that didn't actually exist. I don't know that they actually got caught. It doesn't say in the article here.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, they basically didn't steal it from someone. They conjured it, yeah, out of thin thinner air.
Speaker 1: All right, But it's not like they cashed it in and fled the country or it might.
Speaker 3: Have Yeah, no, no, no, no, okay, they say they say the attack has been attributed to North Korea as a Lazarith group, but nobody's arresting them and it's not like right, so all right, some of the money was actually well, well here you go, some of the money was actually seized and frozen about thirty thousand eighth of it roughly seventy one million, so not as much as it was taking.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, this is a real quick one. I brought this up on dot net rocks. It's a Windows Defender Performance Tool. It's a Windows application also a dot net application that monitors Windows Defender ETW events and visualizes scan durations in real time using a bar chart. And it can also visualize snapshots. And you know, I only mention it because there's a lot of people now and a lot of friends of ours that just you know, they sit behind their Windows machine and they're like, gee, I wonder if I'm getting hacked. You know, there's not really there's Windows Defender pops up and says, you know, if there's a threat or something like that. But generally we don't look into the inner workings of our machines and you know, what applications are running in what could be a problem in all this kind of stuff. So this is a good thing just to run. If you've got some extra screen space, throw it.
Speaker 2: Up there if you're interested in this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: If you're interested in this kind of thing. So I don't want to be labor it, but that's it. I just I'll put a link to that.
Speaker 3: Bo didn't you guys see who the two developers are.
Speaker 2: On us probably interviewed them.
Speaker 1: Oh, Alexander and Claude.
Speaker 3: I think you're going to start to see a lot more of this. I've seen a lot of githubs attributed to claud Code as the only developer now right, we're the only developer doing any pushing any whatever is Claude to where I think we'll see a lot of these little tools. I mean, shoot, a lot of us have had these ideas, right right, Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I had this little thing that did this thing?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 3: You can get cloud code to create it?
Speaker 1: So cool.
Speaker 3: He's a good example.
Speaker 2: You know that guy who did that thing at that place at the time.
Speaker 1: I remember, all right, who wants to take the CEA panel story? Oh, c panel start with the headline please.
Speaker 3: C panel for those of you know you know what sea panel is critical C panel and WHM bug exploited as a zero day POC now available. POC is now available. I mean I should say it in that proof of concepts.
Speaker 1: In other words, there's a there's a tool that somebody has written to do to do the exploit, to do the deed, to do the deed.
Speaker 2: To do the deed.
Speaker 3: So for those of you who have hosted websites, which first off, for those of you hosting your website, shame, Yeah, you probably shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Either that or do you want a job?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's one of the two. So usually if you host your own, if you're in a hosted website situation, whether it's go Daddy or whatever, lots of times you'll have a way to manage your website, right, So if it's word Press, you're gonna log in a word Press, you're gonna do whatever. But if it's another type of site, you're gonna typically have what's called Seapanel. Sepanel is probably, if I had to guess one of the most, if not the most prominent panel management system.
Speaker 2: For your website, be surprised if it isn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I we run into Seapanel a lot when taking the customer sites and that sort of stuff. So yeah, not entirely sure. But in this particular case, there is a critical CVE twenty twenty six forty one nine four zero, which is an authentication bypass vulnerability in Seapanel.
Speaker 1: Not good.
Speaker 3: So if you are running Seapanel eleven eleven or eleven one, ten, eleven one, eighteen one, twenty six, one thirty two, one thirty four, one thirty six, one thirty six one, you have to go patch immediately because there are right now one point six million sea panels that come up on Showdown instantly if you look for them, and a fair chunk of them are not patch right now. So if you have if you have a sea panel, you want to go patch this. This is probably one of one. I'd say the biggest thing until we found a bigger thing, but this is probably the number two big thing in the last two.
Speaker 2: Weeks and not a good big thing, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it depends on who you are, and I think it's a good big thing.
Speaker 2: Showed on just for those who you know don't remember is a tool that we can use to find is a first degree black belt it is.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Also a way to find exploits that are available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean think of it as think of it like the Google for for devices is really what it is. So it's like I want to find every webcam that's open on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you wouldn't do that, but.
Speaker 3: You go to Showdown showed on would Showdown would show you those before.
Speaker 2: That we'd use Google dorks basically special strings yep.
Speaker 3: And I think I think that's if I were I wouldn't be surprised if that's not where showdown came from. Where they're like, gosh, we really hate dork and this stuff all the time. Let's just create a database of it. But like, if you want to go take for example, how many computers are open on three three eight nine on.
Speaker 1: The internet, right, is that the webcam port?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Three three eight nine the remote desktop port?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So how many computers are open on three three eight nine and have in the picture of the remote desktop the username administrator.
Speaker 2: It will can't be it can't be more than fifteen million, yeah.
Speaker 3: But it will do that. It will actually go through take a screenshot of the remote desktop welcome window, and then it will ocr all of the users that show up there, so that you can search for a username. Wow, which is awesome if you're looking to target a particular system or user account.
Speaker 1: Or if you're a hacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or you're looking for Windows XP right yeah, type in Windows XP and remote desktop and you'll find a bunch of boxes connected to the internet that are Windows XP.
Speaker 2: Okay or their honeypop?
Speaker 1: Are we done with this? Were moving on to canvas. Yeah, we are all go patch, go patch, Yeah, Canvas breach may put two hundred and seventy five million users. That's nine thousand schools at risk.
Speaker 2: So this is not Canva, the AI tool. This is Canvas, a school tool.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and I've seen some people use Canva in school. But yeah, you're absolutely right, and now it's.
Speaker 1: A tool too cool for school, is too cool? Yeah, So what happened?
Speaker 2: It's what happened here?
Speaker 3: Good question? Right right now, there's an active investigation going on, so they're not sure what the exploit was to garner the information. However, right now, the shiny hunters who hacking grew up on the Internet says that they have stolen information that can contain some pi I some personally identify unidentifiable information about students and teachers, and that that may include your name, that may include your email address, et cetera. So until we find out my gas is not password right to log in, I know a lot of people that are using Canvas are using they're using single sign on anyways, right, they're using an O off to Google or Microsoft or whatever. Right, a lot of schools are using either you know, Google Workspaces or they're using Microsoft Office. So it's very fast the author indication layer. But in this particular case, you may start receiving a lot more targeted phishing email.
Speaker 2: Because they have information on you.
Speaker 3: Because they have the information on you, they know you're using Canvas, they know they what you're using it for, they know your name, they know your email address, so they'll probably start sending you very targeted emails. I mean, if you receive an email from Canvas, what it looks like it's from Canvas saying hey, we apologize there was a breach blah blah blah. Here you know, click here to enter your you know, login information so that you can we can make sure you're secure or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's probably the hackers, not can right, Okay, Yeah, so this is just a cautionary tale. It's a story. There's nothing anybody who's listening can do anything about. It just happened where and understand, right, mm and it was probably some ill configured security obviously. All right, let's move on and then we'll take a break. This is just kind of a public servicennouncement. It's nothing new, but the browser is breaking your DLP. How data slips past modern controls. It's a story and bleeping computer, but it underscore is something that we've been talking about on the show for quite a while now, which is you think you're safe because you have you know, various forms of security and in your browser and all that stuff. But more and more things are falling through the cracks and we are becoming more and more vulnerable every day.
Speaker 2: And this boils down to people, and we all know this. People are entering things more and more into portals and browsers and the DLP systems are they're not triggering. They they don't see that. So if you take critical information and paste it into chat, GPT through a web interface, it's not going to get caught.
Speaker 1: So let's just define DLP. What is that.
Speaker 3: So DLP is data loss prevention. So there's a lot of DLP systems out there that will watch all your web traffic. Like you know, you may work for a bank, right, and one of the things DLP will look for is it'll use rej axes and all the other good stuff to look for credit cards, look for account numbers, look for customer names. Right, So if I'm sending an email with a credit card number, it will flag and say nope, you can't send credit cards, you know, over email. So make sure that you're not putting data you shouldn't be putting in places you shouldn't be putting it.
Speaker 1: One of the things that bugs me about this is that the clipboard turns out to be a huge vulnerability and the you know, the tools that we use, the browser tools for password managers, they all work with a clipboard. I mean you find your P.
Speaker 2: I think clipboard is something that DLP typically running on the local workstation endpoint can check. It's when like you enter it into a page and then it's encrypted as a as a load and sent.
Speaker 1: This article says most traditional DLP solutions can inspect or control.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh, that's an assumption. I might be wrong about that then, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, anyway, so just be careful about that. And you know, we used to use, I used to use a tool that would remove it from the clipboard after you've pasted it, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think that bitwarten does that, but that would be a really great feature to turn on. You know if if at bitwarten, right, copy this to the clipboard, monitor the clipboard after I pasted it, remove it from the clipboard, right.
Speaker 2: You'd think that they do that. You'd think if you hit the pill button and then go past somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we know listeners know not to use the pill button because that has been exploited, yes, big time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we don't do that with the one in Bitwarden, the one in the browser.
Speaker 1: You mean in the browser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about the one in Bitwarten.
Speaker 1: Well, Bitwarten has a browser plug in that tempts you to use the fill button, and hey, you want me to fill this in? And I say no, because we know that that has been exploited.
Speaker 3: Now I will say what bitboardon does have. It will clear the clipboard automatically for you if you want, but it doesn't do it after pace. It does it at a scheduled time, okay, and you have to turn it on, so it's like I want to say, it's like ten or thirty seconds, so won't sit there forever. But and you do have it is something that's done nothing. It's not by default.
Speaker 1: So yeah, interesting. Yeah, I'm going to check that out. I'm going to check that out. That's definitely a good feature. All right, I guess this is a good time to take a break. Like we said, this is an extra long show and we'll be right back after these very important messages.
Speaker 3: Stand up, stretch your legs, walk around. Unless you're driving, then don't run. Get out of your car and run alongside it. Jump back in.
Speaker 1: And we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Dwayne, and that's Patrick. And Patrick. By the way, I don't know if we should say this, but we probably should. He is the possession of several little baby bunny rabbits five five bunny rabbit. Five minutes before the show started, he and his wife found out in the yard, stranded, and there they appear to be a couple of weeks old. Here's a button.
Speaker 2: And and out in the out, in the middle of out, in the middle of everything. They would have been dead by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah. The hawks would have picked him up, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So we put him in a box. We're gonna as soon as the show's over, I'm going to take them to a refuge and they're going to take good care of them.
Speaker 1: Are they sleeping soundly?
Speaker 2: I think so. Give the box a shake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's terrible, but it's funny that, you know, he's very protective of his little bunnies. He is, he is.
Speaker 3: He's only had them for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: But for very protective of my wards in all cases.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, all right, so, uh, let's this is a good one. Guy finds Google Chrome is quietly installing a four gigabyte AI model on our devices. Yikes. I guess it's not so bad, but it just sounds bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it sounds nefarious where you're like, oh my god for gig and it's interesting. So it says installing a four gig AI model called Gemini Nano. The key files there, the large file there is called weights dot bin. So for anybody who's ever done like computer vision or trains your own models and that sort of stuff, the weight's bin is a I mean, it's honestly, it's where all the post training is. It's how it identifies things. Right, So that bin file probably you know, has the weights for different words or whatever it's doing searching on, right, so I can identify and summarize pages.
Speaker 2: The cash an ai cash if you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's probably a good way to look at it. Yeah, absolutely. So they're generally large, right, and they're generally highly processed data that's going to be used statistically in some way to help with you know, analyzing the page so that you can click on that little Gemini button in home and go, so tell me about the story, right, or tell me about this article or whatever it may be. Then it goes through and does its whole statistical thing. What's nice and not so nice? Right? What's nice is if they're pushing down this weight to bin, that means a lot of that processing is being done locally potentially, so you're not sort of going all the way out to the web and calling some form of you know, chat, GBT API with every page that you're browsing, which you probably don't want to do so from a security standpoint, I almost like this where I'd like to do the local processing. I'd like to have the model local and have it call out to the internet as little as bustable. I mean, this is coming from a guy who's you know, I'm running my own AI cluster in the house because I don't want it, you know, going out and going anywhere. Sure, but that being said, you usually want to allow the users to opt in, not just pre push it. So I agree in this. You know, it's funny in this article they make the case of like, oh my god, can you imagine how much CO two this burns pushing this down to every client. You know, I would counter that with anytime, you know, call of duty comes out and the two and a half petabytes are required.
Speaker 2: Or I would I would redirect it that person still eating me, still eating me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So I you know, I don't know that I would use CO two is the argument here, But I you know, I would say, yeah, I get it. I mean, it's a good chunk of storage being used. But the alternative is take every page eyebrows and when I hit that little Gemini icon, it goes out to the Internet, you know, in full fidelity and gets processed out there. And I don't know that I want that to happen either. So hopefully, because these weights are being pushed down, a lot of that processing is being done locally.
Speaker 1: Would just be nice if you know, some of these things came with technical descriptions of actually what's happening, so people like us could understand it a little better.
Speaker 2: We are non average, no, it's the problem.
Speaker 1: But you know, we are displaners.
Speaker 2: We are below average.
Speaker 1: But you know, if we understand it, we can explain it to people. Story we're explainers, We're splainers.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's the it's the classic ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, all right, next story.
Speaker 3: That's that's our hot take on that.
Speaker 1: This one I thought was pretty neat. X Labs underscore v one botnet exploits a dB in IoT devices for d DOS attacks targeting game servers. So what's a dB.
Speaker 3: That's the Android debug port. So yeah, I was gonna say, Carl, you know you used to be the goss to be the police five years ago on this podcast. You'd be like, WHOA, WHOA t L d R. Like there's a little bit of too much acronym soup there.
Speaker 2: You just I don't think you see any words in that title.
Speaker 1: I know it's true.
Speaker 3: I was listening to it.
Speaker 1: Distributed denial of service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what AT is.
Speaker 1: I just don't know a dB is.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so ADB if if you're working with Android devices, and this could be an Android phone, it could be a tablet, but it also could be a TV. Right, Actually, that's a real fun exercise. Go to your TV. Yeah, go to your TV at your house, and you can go to the settings on your TV and turn on debugging and if you do it actually opens up a port where you can connect to that port and then run Linux commands on your.
Speaker 2: TV, and you too can brick your TV and YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, I've fricked many a TV infecting them. But yeah, so you can go in and you can run commands and you can do all sorts of stuff. Oddly enough, there is a microphone command built into the Android system. You would think, of course because of Android tablets and phones, but it's also on the TV. So if your TV has a micromonic and listen in. But there's all sorts of new things.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, are you saying that you could debug just by talking to it or no?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like I could turn it on. I could let's use the.
Speaker 2: Debug to turn on the mic spy on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's say I get on your network and that debug ports on your TV. I could turn on the microphone.
Speaker 1: And what would that do? Exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, let's see your uh you know how you can be like, you know, hey, Google, I want to you know where can I watch?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Right whatever? Golden Girls, Jesus, how old are you?
Speaker 2: It's on at a restaurant that I sam?
Speaker 1: How about watership down Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Golden Girls.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: On that note, Nicked Night yeah, mash okay, matches better. It's probably older, but better. Joey, do you ever watch what was it? Empty Nest? It was the spinoff of Golden Girls. Now, I don't think that was the dude and his dog. Yeah really, yeah, he used to go. I think he was the neighbor.
Speaker 1: My grandmother used to watch Golden Girls. I never watched Golden Girls.
Speaker 3: Fun fact. You know the old grandmother what was her name? The youngest she was the Yeah, she was not the oldest lady. They just made her look old, the old Italian lady. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I did not know that. But anyways, where were we girls?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: But adb abb back to adb Yeah. So with a debug port, you do you get? You get access to all sorts of information on the device. You can run commands on the device. You can also back up the device. But more importantly, I can push APKs to the device, so I can actually create my own Android.
Speaker 1: And APK yeah packs and aapp application, packaged whatever.
Speaker 3: And I can create an application, and I can push it to the TV, and I can set it to run when the TV turns on, like maybe reaching out to my website and giving me your Wi Fi password or whatever. Right, so we've ever run that one. Yeah. ADB ports are fun.
Speaker 1: And nothing is there to stop you.
Speaker 2: No bugs like a double oh seven designation kill.
Speaker 1: So is this what happened?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, you want the actual story?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the actual story, Like how does one get infected with this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you have to?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So yeah, absolutely so. The the the ADB port debug port sometimes is on, sometimes it is not. Depends on the model of TV and whether it was turned on or not, or the model of the device, whether it was turned on or not, et cetera. Phones usually are pretty protected, usually shut down unless you put it in a developer mode, which takes you know, going to settings and clicking on the about eighty five times and then saying yes and then spinning around and throwing the phone in the air and all sorts of weird stuff. But other devices not so much, right, whether it's a camera, whether it's a you know, IVR system, whether it's a TV. Lots of times those ports are left on and they're little mini computers, right, so great target for a botnet where I might hit that port and then take control of the device and run an application. Okay, yep, how do you protect against this? If you have an Android device, go to settings and make sure debugging is turned off.
Speaker 1: Okay, but does it require physical access for somebody to get on there?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 3: No, no, just needs access to the network.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So if the device is connected to the Internet, that means your network is the World Wide Web. If it's connected locally, that means they need to break into you know, your Wi Fi or local network or whatever.
Speaker 1: But let's face it, if you're a TV, you're going to be on the Internet because that's how they pull down shows, right Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and a lot of people don't even think about you know, oh well I just plug this TV into this you know, open wifire or whatever, right at a Starbucks or whatever. Right, so then you have access to it.
Speaker 1: So that means your TV or device could get owned or poned and used in a d DOS attack against Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't know it. It could also become a microphone that spies on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, all right, or they just at least know what you're watching on TV.
Speaker 1: So again, the fix is to go into debug mode and make sure that oh, debug mode is off.
Speaker 3: Yep, make sure debuggy mode is off. I mean, if you're really paranoid and technical and map your devices in the network and look for that port pretty quick way.
Speaker 1: But this could be. This could be anything that runs Android.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, refrigerator, refrigerator, yeah, washing, dishwasher, you name it anything. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You can take an IP address you need to check it.
Speaker 1: I kind of got to believe that most home appliances that are running Android are not running in debug mode.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, you're so precious.
Speaker 1: Do you really think that you really think that my Samsung fridge they got it best Buy, has debug mode enabled by default.
Speaker 2: Maybe it gets a random coin toss it gets. I think this is the new default password bubblem vendors, they don't. They just want to sell the product, so until it becomes a scandal, there's no motivation for them to police this. Yeah, geez, well, I wouldn't be surprised if if it's eighty percent of device, I don't know. That wouldn't surprise me at all. This is just the next level, and there'll be another one after this, right, be another level. The good news is this is better than a hard coded password that gives you because at least you could turn this off. Yeah, there's always, as they say in Men in Black, there's always a Corellian cruiser or a black flag or something like. It's always the next thing. This just happens to be the next thing, all right.
Speaker 1: This next one is a bad one, Palo Alto Networks warns State cluster behind. Yeah, well the last one is the worst one. But Palo Alto Networks warren state linked cluster behind a zero day exploit exploitation. A patch for the flaw, which hackers began targeting in early April, won't be ready for another week, and this was published May seventh. So there's a zero day out there, and you you're not protected. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not only is there is zero day, it's for a firewall. Not only is it for a firewall, it means it's connected to the Internet, and it's exploited by people who know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you just don't use the internet this month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've unplug it, unplug it, replace it with something else. Literally, that's that's what you have.
Speaker 2: Toces that horrible conundrum of you know your car is a death trap and you know it's likely to kill you any mile but you have to go to work and you can't be fixed until next month. So you take you roll the dice, you take your chances.
Speaker 1: Call an uber, That's what I would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you can't call an uber for your.
Speaker 1: Firewall, no, no, no, But I'm saying there are ways around it, which is replace the unit. Yeah, first of all, turn it off.
Speaker 3: Monitoring is another way to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 1: Well, monitoring, but you could you could watch it get exploited. Does that help?
Speaker 3: That might be neat.
Speaker 2: This is really yeah, that's a good Friday night for me. I think this is a view of our future. I think that we're going to get things that are discovered as exploited and there's not going to be a fit readily available right right, So you have to figure out like, oh, you know what. I think this is where tabletop exercises have to come in and people have to start thinking about what's the worst they can happen. Now, military does this all the time, at least when they're done, when they're operating competently. The military does this all the time, like what if they do this? What if they did that? And you try to predict the unpredictable, most organizations aren't geared for this, they're not ready for it. They can't handle it.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what is the device itself that people have to worry about it? It's the PA series and VM series firewalls. Yes, that's a lot of firewalls.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. Yeah, it's a big line of firewalls.
Speaker 1: Actually. Wow. Yeah, so this isn't a go patch because there is no patch, replace it at least for a while. Okay. The penultimate story today, which I thought was hilarious, student hacked Taiwan high speed rail to trigger urgency breaks.
Speaker 3: Isn't that just like a kid by law? By law, I can't talk about this.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like pulling them all.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised you actually obaye that.
Speaker 3: A year and a half ago though I told people how to do this, but today I won't.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like pulling the fire alarm, you know, in grammar school, just walking by, pull the fire alarm, see what happens.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here's the deal. Now, it's a first off, if you look at this article, just just zoom in on that desk.
Speaker 2: That kid has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I would ever want a picture of my desk with I think that's hand cream over there and maybe his braces like his twenty three year old Yeah, exactly. But he's also got a lot of software defined radios in there. I will tell you too. And we've done this our team, I know, if you go back, I think it's a year and a half, two years ago. Well, my team actually went down to DC and and did a session breaking into trains and one.
Speaker 2: Of the governments helped to help the government try and abilities.
Speaker 1: Patrick tried to stop him from talking about it, but he did anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's tried to stop me multiple times. And one of the exploits that we deployed actually was the ability to engage the E break on the trains. It didn't it didn't matter. It could be high speed, right. And I will tell you this. This has been deployed a couple times in anger, you know, by nation states, either pre attack or during attacks of nation states. So the way this, the way this works is the E break is actually a radio signal, right, So you can enable it by playing the right frequency. And it's not just a frequency, right, it's it's actually it's three frequencies within a period of time or whatever. But but what I will tell you is the spec for this is on the internet. That the way that the train systems work, if you like. For those of you who love reading really boring documentation, if you go read the documentation on how the rail systems work, you'll you'll find the frequencies. You'll know exactly which ones to call it in when order. You know, you'll see how they do train tracking. Heads up, they track trains over two point four gig hertz, not Wi Fi, but same band. And if you jam it, they lose a train and they shut down the whole system. And that was actually deployed I think against Poland at one point.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's you know, you think like, oh my god, this twenty one year old's got to be you know, a genius. Twenty three not really or twenty three year old not really.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: All you need to do is read the RFCs.
Speaker 1: Right, the request for comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the the manual if you will, the design doc for how these systems are put together, and then do it right, grab a software defined radio and do it. So, you know, I, although I think it's fun and it's neat to kind of play around with these types of systems, I don't applaud people who are like, you know, in real live trains causing or any system. Right, I'll tell you elevators have all sorts of systems she can play with and that sort of stuff, but you shouldn't do it now, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so this is really the irony. The irony of this story is as the kid was walking out of the train in handcuffs, he looked on the wall the window by the by the window and read the sign with the cord please pull cord for emergency break.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, geez, which does the same thing. Yeah, exactly, Like.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know, I, like I said, I think I think it's interesting. I think I think it's fascinating how all these things work and that sort of stuff. But you know, to do it on a real life train, like, yeah, you deserve what you get.
Speaker 1: All right, We're finally to our top story and this one is our top story just because it's so bad, big, big and bad. Otherwise, in Dwayne speak, awesome copy fail seven hundred and thirty two bytes to root on every major Linux distribution. So that sounds like kind of an innocuous headline. But Twain Munch, you'd tell us what this sort really all about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and actually what's crazy is right now, if you're on X or you're on whatever, there's tons of there's a place hosting this exploit where you can run one command and it pulls the exploit down, runs it in memory, and gives you root access to almost any Linux box. And crazy enough, this isn't just root level access. So we talk about privask and how you know, a lot of us listen, we don't pooh poop privesk, but we say remote code execution is more dangerous, right, We've said that all the time, Like, if you can remotely from you know, North Korea, exploit a system here in the United States, that's more dangerous than if they're on the box they can become an admin. The reason we put this is kind of the top story is first off, because of its breadth. It's every major Linux system since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: It's not just desktops and servers. It's also like containers and things like that that we don't think about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and k eights and you name it, right, So this is way far reaching. It does give you the ability to even jump outside of containers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people use containers as a security layer. This allows you to jump out and do all sorts of nasty things. And the really neat thing about this, For those of you who've been listening to this for a long this show for a long time, I want to say about maybe five years ago we talked about Dirty Cow, and then there was a whole bunch of Cow series that came out. But Dirty Cow was sort of role did as an amazing ability to become root level access on almost any Linux workstation, any Linux station. And what you were doing is you were exploiting a race case condition. And with Dirty Cow, when you exploited this race case condition, sometimes it worked, call it seventy percent of the time and you became root. Sometimes it did nothing, call that twenty percent of the time. And then sometimes it crashed the system. Call that ten percent of the time. So although it was it was cool and it was powerful, it wasn't as powerful as this.
Speaker 1: This is bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a predetermined set of bytes that you can issue to a privileged area that will one hundred percent of the time give you rout and race case conditions and it is not a potential of crashing. It is super reliable, and that's one of the reasons that we of upgraded this as well, is because this is a highly reliable way of becoming root on almost any LINUXEDS planet at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Oh, speaking of quiet, the way it yeah, I know this is.
Speaker 2: This thing's awesome.
Speaker 3: The way it injects the bites and the way you garner the token afterwards will not be picked up by ed rs, by by your anti virus, your endpoint detections. It's not even picked up by any of your logging systems. So this is not only like when you say quiet, Patrick, it is quiet, right, You're not going to see this happen. So it's it's super dangerous.
Speaker 1: You're dead.
Speaker 2: You just don't know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's super dangerous, and it's it's impressive. Honestly, are there patches out there at the kernel level yet?
Speaker 2: There are?
Speaker 3: Yes, you do need to make sure you go out and patch immediately.
Speaker 1: At the end of the article, it gives you the sects and a link to the patch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But we're which basically moves things around, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly. Actually, so if you dig back why twenty seventeen. In twenty seventeen, there was an optimization added to this particular part of memory read and write and that sort of stuff that's being exploited. Now what the patch does is rolls it back, removes it. Yeah, takes that optimization out, because that optimization is what actually exposed this.
Speaker 1: And then apparently the kernel is being patch too, so there will be a version of your Linux kernel that will be safe yep, eventually.
Speaker 3: But this is if you want to read about this, there's a great article we have the link to to really dig into kind of the bits invites and how this works. I I'm wondering, I didn't see it in this article. They actually do have some code in here, but.
Speaker 1: They do they say how it works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there there's a super simple one liner. If you do a search for copy fail one liner, you'll find it and you can run it on a Linux box and it'll it'll give you a root.
Speaker 2: So that's sad.
Speaker 1: Note pned, owned and scrowned.
Speaker 3: This one's awesome.
Speaker 2: This is a long episode.
Speaker 1: This one's awesome, but it was good to catch up. And yeah, we're glad you stuck with us. Everybody, we'll see on discord. And that's all that happened in the last two weeks and we'll see you next week on Security this week, Bye bye guys,