Speaker 1: And everyone would say I was a thief if I stole something, but I don't get caught. I never get caught. Where's the karma and that? But for the rest of my life, I'm looking over my shoulder. Am I going to get caught? You know? I'm carrying that energy with me, and that energy suppresses what I could be the bigger person of what I could be, let's say, because I'm carrying that negative energy with me. So it's not necessarily that if you do something, karma comes along and smacks comes back and smacks you. It's the energy to carry with you. Pay attention to what you want to carry with you through life.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, and welcome back to NYYT where you are learning to level up your yoga teaching one masterful class at a time. This episode is called Karma, Forgiveness and the Four Great Passions. What if the hardest part isn't what happened, but what you're still carrying from it. Today's guest doctor Lynn, helps reframe karma beyond those cliches that are on mugs and T shirts, like what goes around comes around or karma is a bitch. We redefine karma. What it really is as a philosophy, how a candy bar reveals how you relate to yourself, craving in control, why some interactions stay with you longer than they should, the key to forgiveness that doesn't ask you to be fake, passive or pretend everything is fine, The four great passions that quietly run the show for most of us, and the depth behind the thought your health is your greatest wealth. And in one section, we went off on a tangent about karma, and it reminded me of a lecture that I heard in my three hundred hour yoga teacher training. So I actually pulled out my notes from my three hundred hour with one of my teachers, because you can hear me in this episode. I'm like reaching for the thought, stumbling for it. I almost get it. As I look back at the notes, I was like, Okay, I wasn't far off, but I wanted to read it to you here, just to educate you on karma a little bit and remind myself. So my teacher taught me the three types of karma. The first was your sanchita, which is the storehouse of karma, so that maybe the collection from the past lives and then Parubda is the karma that you're now dealing with because of Sanchita the storehouse. So this is like the manifested the things that are happening because of who you were in the past. And then Agami is the karma that you're creating because of Parubda, so because of what is manifested the things that you were manifesting for the future, which was just like a nice little refresh for me. And the next thing that my teacher taught me I'm still reading just from my notes of my three hundred hour just because it's interesting, was the three actions of karma. And this is like viewing karma and your actions as seeds. So there's v karma, which is the black seed. This is non virtuous actions when your motivation is to harm for your benefit. So karma which is a dirty gray seed. This is virtue virtuous acts but actually done with selfish intent. And then there's a karma, which is a pure white seed, virtuous actions without expectation, doing for reward of action like your reward is doing the action itself. It's selfless service. And then I wrote, we have the option to change the world instead of the world changing us, which is basically the golden rule. Do unto others as you would want to have done to you. And then something else interesting that I wrote at the bottom was to think of karma like trauma. You can feel its effects long after the event, but you are responsible with how you deal with it, like what you do with it. So if that at all interests you, this episode is going to be a treasure trove full of more gems on karma. I'm so excited for you to listen, Turn it up and let's dive in. Hey Yogi's Mackenzie fly Here Mom, yoga prineer, teacher, trainer, retreat leader, and your guide to master your yoga teaching. This podcast is your weekly dose of actionable wisdom and candid chats with industry experts. Learn to connect deeper, weave yoga magic, and lead by example. Full disclosure, I'm still mastering it too, but together will skyrocket your impact and income. Hit subscribe and let's grow one episode at a time. Doctor Lynn is a naturopath, yoga nutrition therapist, fitness professional, karma master and published author, international speaker, and video producer with over forty years experience in the fields of natural health and fitness. She has been featured on Redbook, Reader's Digest, Huffington Post, Shape Self, and various other national publications, TV networks and podcast She is the author and producer of the soul Walking series, Karma Prosperity, Vitality, and the Nature Apathic Wellness series, The Yoga of Nutrition and Recipes for Health, Sex, Happiness and Love and Doctor Lynn's Proactive Aging Workouts DVDs and TV with international distribution. We are so lucky to have you on the podcast. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Doctor Lynn. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for inviting me. This is exciting. I love talking with yoga teachers.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Well, where do we even begin with someone with your with all the receipts of the incredible work that you've done in your life and your career, and all the areas that you could go. I guess my first question for you is what exactly is a yoga nutrition therapist? How do you blend those two things together?
Speaker 1: Well, first off, I am a naturopathic doctor and as studying natureopathy, natureopathy is really has three pillars of health. That's well the foundation and it is nutrition, exercise and sleep. Rest. Those are the three pillars of health from a naturopathic standpoint. So my background is really in you know, there's a heavy nutritional background there being a naturopathic doctor, but there's also there's a branch of yoga called on Amaya kosha and on a my kosha is it's the it's the yoga of eating and it's not any specific diet, but what it means is paying a paying very careful attention to what and how we eat and how important that is because it's not just the nutritions that we take in, because we do have to take nutrition in, but you know, we live in a society of go you know, we don't chew enough. So it's really about how to really appreciate this body and what you need to give this body to keep it healthy. So that's really weird in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: Oh amazing. And here we are. Here we are as I'm speaking with you, I'm eating because the appointments are back to back and sometimes that's just life. You know, we got to like squeeze it in where we can. And I was mentioning to you before we clicked record that as a breastfeeding and nursing mother, man the calorie expenditure just of keeping up with that. It's like I can't eat enough in a day, but one hundred percent noticing the difference of just the experience of eating where you don't have as much stimulation, you're not doing anything other than eating and giving this act all of your focus and slowing down and savoring the food and noticing the flavors changes the experience but also primes the body for better digestion. I've really noticed that in myself.
Speaker 1: So that's really kind of what it is. It's and it brings in, you know, the yoga and the nature apathy. That's really my background that I've and what I've done over forty years is weave the two together because they fit beautifully together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then how how specifically do you do this work? Is it through private clientele? And what does that look like if someone were to come to you and want to begin this process and practice.
Speaker 1: Well, I do have on my website people can get in touch with me because I do it online.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: When I first started my practice, it was, you know, we didn't have zoom and things like that. You know, I lived in Los Angeles and I had a small practice and That's really how I started with seeing clients one on one, but then it kind of mushroomed into more teaching. And when I say teaching, you know, I lectured at the City Loyola Marymont. There's one that they certified people in yoga therapy. So I was a destructor for yoga therapists there, you know. So I really began more lecturing and traveling. And then I became the corporate educator for an international aromatherapy company and I traveled all over the world lecturing on that. So it kind of went from seeing one on one clients to more of writing books and teaching actually teaching.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing. Congratulations, What a just lighthouse you are for all of us of thinking bigger. You know, I think sometimes yoga teachers they only see one path of what to do, and that's really expansive to see somebody doing it in that way. I had a tangent, I guess in my own career in education where I actually went through doctor Sears. Are you familiar with his work? His wellness? And I believe it was a nutrition program. It's been many years since I did at probably over ten years, but I remember the curriculum was all around inflammation and how to eat in a way that lowers inflammation, and how this is very arrvetic. Even of a lot of illnesses begin as inflammation or access heat in the body. So what do you have to say about that? And do you find that to be the case of where you might start when it comes to cleaning up somebody's nutrition.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm a big one, especially in teaching in my classes, on having people pay attention to their digestive system. And in my classes we call it the power channel and it goes from it goes all the way up through the digestive channel, and I have people do a lot of big deep breathing into that channel because what we do is and when I say we, you know, we're a society of eating foods that really aren't supplying the body with the nutrients that it needs. And you've got to think about your body as a machine. If I'm putting garbage in there, at some point, the body's going to go. I got to react to this, and that's where the inflammation and that's where the problems come in, is when we are not eating properly, you know, putting the right nutrients in there. And I always would say with my clients, you know, here's the nutrients. For example, you know you need vitamin B vitamins, and I would list out everything that you need and here's how you get them through this diet. And after you take care of that, eat all the cookies you want. And they would look at me, and I always say, you won't want cookies after that. You'll be full, but take care of the body first, and then go ahead, go ahead, because life is not about being. I mean, we are wired for pleasure and part of enjoying life is enjoying the pleasures of life. And you know, it's okay to have that piece of birthday cake. It's okay to have a dessert once in a while. But it's about giving your body what it needs to take care of itself. And then that stuff is okay.
Speaker 2: Good, that's good to hear that it can that it can be more balanced and we can have our cake and eat it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because most people, you know, when they think about it, oh my god. And you know, ninety five percent of diet's fail for this one reason, deprivation. If I tell you you can't have it, then you're going to be craving it and you're going to want it, and when you go off the diet, people go right back to those things. So in Korea yoga, which is what I really was the beginning of my yoga study, Korea is all about balance and it's moderation, and it just means you balance things out. So for example, if you're craving craving that candy bar, Krea says, go get the candy bar, take a chunk off, eat it, and throw the rest away. Moderation Can you throw the rest away?
Speaker 2: And I feel like I can, And I'm very blessed that I am that type of person. My mother in law is like, and my husband a little bit is that type of person that's like, I can't have it in the house because once I start, I can't stop. And do you feel like some people really are wired that way that it's harder for them to cut themselves off. And I just count myself so lucky to be one of those people that really can I just want like my one little bite of chocolate after my lunch. And I'm a very moderate person. So yeah, for those people that can resonate or relate to being more of an extremist and this not only showing up in the way that they eat, the way they do everything. What would you say to those types of teachers or those types of people.
Speaker 1: Well, again, it all comes back to moderation, and we're all different, and we're all you know, it's so hard to give a specific when we live in a general world, and it's just like when I teach or anything. It's you know, people have if they're really stressed. You know, some people, if I'm really stressed, I'm one of those people that don't eat, you know, my appetite, my stomach type and self really stressed, where other people when they're stressed, they just they eat. So we you know, everybody's circumstances are very different. But it's really coming back to yourself and loving and taking care of yourself and understanding that if you live life and balanced and everything in your life is balanced, you have perfect health. Anytime anything in the body, mind, and soul is out of balance, and that again is nature apathy. It all three come together, then we have health. So it really comes back to reflecting upon yourself.
Speaker 2: What were the three again that you said, was it nutrition, sleep, and exercise? Exercise? Okay, those are the three pillars. Yeah, beautiful. I feel like in this season of motherhood and sleep being sleep being just absolutely obliterated, so broken. You know that, I do notice when sleep is lacking, I feel hungrier and also feel like I need more water, but I want less exercise because I'm so tired. So it's interesting how you know one of these pillars will really affect and knock the other one off its equilibrium.
Speaker 1: Which we'll think about it. If you eat it, if you eat a trashy diet and not a good diet, you don't sleep well, so you're right, it knocks that one off. And if you don't exercise, if you're kind of lethargic, you know, So the three pillars, it's all about balancing those out. Now that's easy to say in theory, now to practice it. You know, we all we live in a very chaotic world, and we live in a world that comes is just bombarding us with information and stuff. So it's very difficult to balance those out. And it's also difficult sometimes to find people who are authentic and who really you know, there's so much information out there that is not really good information. And I always tell people seek out people who are you know, have the bad ground seek how people who are really trying to help, but not somebody who's trying to make a lot of money.
Speaker 2: So it's so important. And even just with these pillars, it's like so accessible, you know, it's so simple and always back to the basics, which is the best thing to be reminded of. And it's just it's works, you know, it just works. Where does the karma come into play? And when you say, like, karma master, what is this kind of work that you do here within this field?
Speaker 1: Well, to master anything, you have to read about it, you have to practice it, you have to write about it, and you have to teach it. That's a master. A master goes through all of those different things. And over the course of forty years, I've practiced, I've written books, I've teached, I've lectured. So that puts me in that that is how you move along that category. And karma is a philosophy, and you know it is a branch of yoga, but it's a philosophy and it's and that's primarily what I teach is the philosophy of karma, which is simply comes right down to cause and effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people are really familiar with the phrase of what comes around goes around, or karma is a bitch.
Speaker 1: And I like to tell people because that is it's very pop culture of good karma, bad karma. That's not karma. Karma doesn't have judgment that infers judgment, and karma's not about judgment, just says, you know, if I do this, this happens. That's so pay attention, be aware. And I'd like to use this as an example. Let's say I go out and I steal something, and everyone would say I was a thief if I stole something, but I don't get caught. I never get caught. Where's the karma that But for the rest of my life, I'm looking over my shoulder. Am I going to get caught? You know? I'm carrying that energy with me, and that energy is what I could be the bigger person of what I could be, let's say, because I'm carrying that negative energy with me. So it's not necessarily that if you do something, karma comes along as smacks, comes back and smacks you. It's the energy to carry with you. Pay attention to what you want to carry with you through life.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is so good. That's a really great analogy, and thank you for that. I remember in my three hundred hour yett we went in a deep dive. My teacher was telling me about the storehouse of karma, your sarma. I want to say that it was perubda, but I think that's wrong. I might be butchering it. But it was basically where all of your karmaic actions are stored, that storehouse of karma, and through like crea yoga and taking action, trying to burn up those karma seeds, and that the karma was like seeds, and it was either like a black seed or a gray seed or a white seed, and that the actions that you're taking your eye, they're in the black seed being like negative action or hold holding ill will, and then the gray seed being one of neutral, and then the white seed being one of obviously like high vibe. So is that in your methodology or does this sound very different? Or if you were to go about like teaching somebody about karma the basics and how your actions are being stored and how they play out, how would you describe it?
Speaker 1: Well? I would come back to again, we go cause and effect. Everything's cause and effect. We are nothing more than a shield of energy. And as I teach my students, I mean, the reason that you and I can see each other is because the molecules that make up our energy are moving at a much slower pace and that creates the material world. But energy, if you speed it up, it's just like water. If you take water, it pours. If you slow down the molecules of water they freeze. If you heat up the molecules they turn into steam, you know they and you can't see it. You know, it disappears, but it's still there. So we are all of those things moving around in the world, all three of those things at once. And so karma really is about the energy that you absorb. We absorb energy every single day. You and I are absorbing energy. Now just by communicating, we you know, we are meeting each other and our energy fields are coming together. It's just like if you walk into a room and there's someone that you just get a bad vibe about, you know, or you get a good vibe. That's energy, it's oral, that's energy coming off of us. And that's really what I teach people is we are nothing but balls of energy. Now, how do you want your energy to move through this world chaotic out here, Do you want to bring it in and balance it? You know? And bringing in and balancing it again is very easy in theory, but we live in a crazy, crazy world and it is very difficult, you know. So it's not something that people should feel guilty about if you lose your temper, you know, because we all do, because we're humans. We all make mistakes. But are you aware of them? If I lose my temper and let's say I yell at my husband for something, do I stop and catch my breath and say, wait a minute, what is this energy I'm giving off? And come back and balance myself and then approach the problem, We're probably going to have a better chance of a solution.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like that well said, and I appreciate all of it, of just becoming aware of it to change the experience of life. And I think that if I were to really distill it down or boil it down to the practice of yoga and the benefits of it, is like same situations and same circumstances, but is different relation to it, And that in and of itself is the most profound part about it, is that it's changing the experience of it for the better.
Speaker 1: You're a yoga teacher, and I'm sure your audience can relate to this. I mean, you know, I can go in and I can teach and teach, and same people come to the class and teach and teach and teach, and then one day there's just something I say and the lesson that resonates with somebody. And they've been to every class I've had, you know, and they've liked the class and everything, but that day, and I can't tell you the people that have come up to me and say, how did you know I needed that today? And I always say, you know, when you're ready, the teacher will appear, you know, and I didn't know, but you've practiced yoga today because it resonated with you, you know. And we can teach class after class after class, and it's always a good class. But then there are those moments, and those are the ones that really touch me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I call those receipts of resonance. Anytime like a student comes up and they just let you know that it really lands today or they really heard it today, and that like you're mentioning, you've been saying this day after day year after year, but for whatever reason, it really struck a chord with them that day. It's so profound and powerful, and it feels so good to receive that as a teacher, that your work is landing and then it's meaningful, it's making an impression, or it's changing behavior for the better. It's awesome when that happens. Hey, real quick, I just wanted to pause and say thank you for listening to Master Your Yoga Teaching. This podcast is something I pour a lot of care into and every month I choose one lucky person to be our listener of the month and send them fifty dollars in cash as a simple way to get back. If you want to be considered, here's all you need to do. Leave an epic review on Apple Podcasts, take a screenshot before you hit submit, and DM it to me on Instagram at Master Your Yoga Teaching, the same name as the podcast that's it. Reviews might feel small, but they seriously matter. They help this podcast reach more yoga teachers like you who are craving death, confidence and longevity in their teaching. So if this show has supported you in any way, this is one of the biggest ways that you can support it right back. I know how easy it is to not do it, but even a few honest words can go a long way. I'll announce the winner at the end of the month and message you directly. If it's you, thank you so much for being here, for caring about your yoga teaching, and for being a part of the NYYT community. Good luck. Classic examples of karma yogi's it's this yoga of action or doing good deeds out in the world from this perspective of we are all energy balls and beings. How do you then, how does this translate to people changing their lives guess these concepts, How does it like translate into their daily living and how do you encourage that? Or is it something different?
Speaker 1: Well, it's there's a compassion and understanding are two very big things that have to do with common Understanding is understanding that we are all human beings and that we are all subject to fault, you know, and we all have these Everybody wants love, everybody has felt hate and anger. These are emotions, they're human emotions and they're part of human life. So it's what you do with those. Do you take that moment to step back and if somebody is very angry around you and they're yelling and screared. Can you step back for a moment and observe what's going on and understand that they're acting out in a human nature and have some compassion because you've been there too, you know, and that is the important thing is to be able to go, well, yeah, I've had moments where I've lost my temper. I've had moments where I've you know, done things like that, and you know that's working your karma and every time you work that, you get a little closer and closer to that purity.
Speaker 2: That was a great answer, well done. Yes, I always I mean even in yoga classes. I think I said something to the effect of that this morning, of helping practitioners and students understand, like, if there's any measuring stick or any barometer to take score of your advancement on the path, it's not in your nailing of the handstand or whatever the poscat may be, but in the moments in your life when you encounter discomfort or suffering, like not liking it, and being able to have this moment of awareness within that stimulation and then to to your point of receive it more from a place of understanding of like, yeah, I've I've had moments like this too where I've I've lost my temper, And to think of karma in that way, because that's a very like Monday and seemingly unextraordinary way of practicing. Yet at the same time, that's it. That's the most important one that we can all do.
Speaker 1: Well. You know my students, you know, they'll come to me, Chris, when you teach yoga, you come in and you have the lesson and everything else that come up to and I say, doctor Lynn, You're just you're so balanced and you're so spiritual. Da da da, And I say to them, yes, and I'm teaching, But do remember I have a husband, I have children, I have grandchildren, I have things in my life, and my life can get you know, and I just have to remind myself to come back to this place. I'm human, just like all of you, and we all I mean, I still make mistakes, you know, I mean, that's part of life. Nobody has all the answers. I will say, as you're mature, and I can say that because I'm seventy three, so I've been down the road. As you mature and in life, you do take a different perspective on things, and wisdom is about and wisdom doesn't come without experience. You have to have experience in like both the good in the band can't be all yeah yeah wow.
Speaker 2: Well even when you went back to the and it's interesting with the title of the podcast, even having the word master this idea of like mastery of something, of anything, that there are certain qualifications or things that you need to move through, like you listed to get there, but also this idea that it's almost unattainable in some ways, you know, if like it's a constant pursuit and it's a passion and a daily discipline and a devotion, an aim target that you can be going for, but one that maybe you'll never truly hit. And I like this idea of karma yoga being in the daily living, the daily actions and interactions that we have with ourselves and other people of any circumstance or situation that's happening. It's like, what are you going to do with this cause the thing that's happening to you and your effect being either your reaction or your response one without awareness or one with awareness. I think it's just making it really practical and just in the live everyday living well.
Speaker 1: We have tremendous power and we give our power away all the time. You know. We have power over what we think and what we say and what we do. And that's really the whole thing. Be aware of what you think, what you say, and what you do because it defines you. That's who you are, you are, that is what you know. And so it's very important to pay attention to those things. And it's not easy. I mean, we all have mouths that things fly out of, you know what I mean, that's life, you know, and then you're like, ohs, why did I you know, but it's are you aware, are you able to pull back and are you to work on it within yourself or do you take that little index finger out and point point point point point. That's the you go pointing out you know, well you did this and you did that, you know, and rather than coming back and taking responsibility for yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then with the idea of inadvertently or in seasons where you were really triggered or reacting or super stressed out, and you respond or you react to your life in a way that quote unquote was uncarmic or not not from your most highest self, not from your most enlightened being. What is is there a process of getting redemption for that? Or is there a way that you can like burn up the bad karma so to speak, and wipe your slate clean in some ways? Or what is? Is there is there is that? Does that process exist? Or? From your perspective?
Speaker 1: No, Well, if if I'm angry and I'm I'm charged with anger and I'm shooting that anger out at someone, I'm carrying the anger. I'm carrying the emotion. And we all know what anger feels like. I mean, it just charges you up inside and everything goes, you know, the higher you let it go. It's awareness of that and awareness of what it's doing to me at the moment. And do I really want to carry that energy? And can I pull that energy back? And every time I pull that energy back and I bring it back to a balance place, I'm working my karma. And it's like cleansing every time, you know, I cleanse myself a little bit, and then maybe the anger comes up again and I temper it, and I keep tempering it and tempering it, and eventually it isn't there now you know that takes tremendous work to do that, but it all comes back to it's all about you and how you are moving through this world. You can't control anybody else, you can't make anybody else aware, but you can do your work, and that's karma.
Speaker 2: It actually makes me think a lot of meta meditation in the sense of I'm sure you're somewhat familiar with it, but if maybe listeners who aren't familiar with it, these stages of trying to generate feelings of loving kindness, even compassion and forgiveness for yourself of any deeds that you've done for strangers, maybe just people that you don't know, and then also for people who have wronged you. And it's that phase of meta meditation of sending loving kindness, compassion, forgiveness to people who have wronged you that is really challenging. But it's also recognizing in some of the or I guess to your point that you're the one that's sitting there feeling the feelings of wrong, of hurt, of anger, And it's that cliche of like, are you wanting to continue to take that poison or is there a cliche? I feel like there's a quote in there that's like anger is just drinking poison something like that, and that you're the one who's constantly living with that in your body, and so you're the one that's getting consistently hurt by it. And so it's like you understand it in your mind, but to actually do it sometimes, like you said, it's much harder to actually do because in some ways, I'm sure a lot of people feel like to forgive or to really let that go would mean letting the other person off the hook. So do you have anything to say to that of like, in instances when you have been really wronged or when you feel really hurt and you theoretically understand, like I'm the one that's taking my own poison, what do you do in those moments?
Speaker 1: I choose not to. There are four great passions in the world, Yoga teaches us, and everything comes from these four great passions, and they are deceit, greed, anger, and pride. And if you really take one step back, you will see that everything comes from those. So let's take anger for example. I don't choose to want to carry around the emotional passion of anger. It's not something I want my life to carry through with my life. So if a person makes brings that to me, my role is to work on it within myself. That doesn't mean that I have to acknowledge that other person. I am free to remove myself from their toxic energy because it is toxic. It's coming. If someone is coming at me and they're coming at me and they're jabbing at me and they're trying to get under my skin, you know that's a toxic person and I don't need to be in that. I bless them and wish them silently to myself, you know a good path in life. But then I remove myself because I don't. You don't keep yourself in situations that keep bringing that up if you're not going to deal with it yourself.
Speaker 2: I think the fine line too, of in instances when somebody has wronged you, of forgiving and moving on, but at the same time establishing certain boundaries so that there is new protocols moving forward. I'm thinking of a very personal, intimate and like vulnerable thing that I feel like I'm still dealing with and navigating in family relationships where there has been deceit and tremendous anger and lots of scarring in the family and wanting to continue on with life, you know, wanting there to still somewhat be a relationship, but knowing that that relationship needs to have boundaries to keep everybody safe. And how difficult that can be because it doesn't feel like you forgive and forget because you need to remember but proceed with these new boundaries and these new actions. So yeah, I do you have anything to say about that of forgiving yet also installing new boundaries and what that is that really forgiving if you have to have these certain new rules in place.
Speaker 1: Well, you just said it. You don't forget. It's not about forgetting. There's a big difference between forgetting and forgiving. And when you forgive a person, you're really freeing yourself up because you're really not carrying that energy with you. But you don't forget, you know, because that person can. You know, you have to draw those boundaries and in not forgetting, you also have to look at that person in what we call and I use this term and I don't mean it derogatory, but we call it ignorance and we call it that this person is you have to look at them and say, this person hasn't a clue and most people who are living a very negative path, who are very angry. Most people haven't a clue they're the ones that's causing the problem. They don't, and so they're ignorant to their own energy, their own things. So you can't change that someone's ignorance. They have to do that themselves. They have to become aware themselves. And so it's not my job to do that. My job, according to Karma, is to do what I can for myself, to walk my karmic path, and everyone that I encounter on my karmic path to see if I can make their life a little better, make the world a little better, even if it's only just a tiny, tiny, one little thing I said in class that made one person feel better or made someone become aware that day. I've done my work. So it's not grandiose. It's really very very simple.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I like how you're bringing it back to what's our responsibility and what's our role, what's our job? And too. There was this video that I saw years ago that was a cartoon and it's kind of about somebody maneuvering through their life and giving hugs. And when this person gives hugs to different people, they're absorbing somebody's like energy and turning colors. And I remember thinking that there was something wrong with that imagery of It's like, it's not our responsibility to fix somebody else or you know, change or alter their timeline, do their work for them. And I just really I'm grateful for your reminder that we can really it's our responsibility to take care of our own karma, and that that is often whenever we notice ourselves caught up in a lot of suffering, that maybe it's an indication or feedback that we are making. We're taking on that responsibility of trying to fix or manage or handle somebody else's karma instead of our own.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, we're all individuals and we're all on our own karmic path and sometimes you don't necessarily have to solve it in this lifetime. Maybe you're going to go through this lifetime and you're going to have it's going to be a really rough life that you're going to go through. But according to karma reincarnation, you get to come back and do it again. You keep coming back at a different level. That is what reincarnation means. So it you know, who are we to judge, and that's where Karma says, you're not to judge. Who are we to judge a person's path in life? You know we are you know, there's enough work to pay attention to your own path. You know, come back and pay attention to this this one because it's a lot of work being a human being. There's a lot of vulnerability out there. It takes a lot to walk the human path. And so that's what I try to remind my students is, you know, come back to yourself and realize that everybody is on their own path, and you might not agree with the path that's person is, but that's not about you.
Speaker 2: That was really powerful what you shared about the four what did you call them? The four desires?
Speaker 1: Now for great passions?
Speaker 2: For great passions? Amazing. Thank you for teaching all of us that, are there any other rules within this karma conversation that would be a value or useful for yoga teachers to hear, because I don't think I'd ever heard it presented in that way. So is there any other like law of karma within it that would be helpful?
Speaker 1: Well? Karma teaches us that when we get into trouble, especially when we're dealing with the passions. Is when we there are four things that we block. When we block knowledge, we stop learning, we stop being open, and that has to do with flexibility and openness, you know, and so we get prejudice, we get biased, we stop right there rather than being open and flowing. So that's one thing when we block our vittality. It's very important to stay vital and strong, and we do that. That is going to that's going to make your karmic walk very difficult if you're not taking care of your health. So don't block that. We should not block feelings because feelings are real, and feelings are in order to be a human being, you have to be willing to experience all of the emotions and all the experiences of life that is human life. So if you want to have happiness, you have to have sadness. You have to experience both of those. And so it's not blocking feelings and then finally not blocking your sense of free will and understanding that we have the free will to choose. I can choose the path I want to take in life, and it's very important to be able to not block those things. You'll get into trouble every time you block them.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's so such a great reminder and it's also very empowering that you have, like you're saying power in all of this power of choice. And just this morning in my class, I'll share this imagery just because it's relevant for me, and it also seems reflective, maybe just a different lens of this conversation, looking through a different way. But I shared the parable of I believe it was a Chinese parable where there's this man who's running from his shadow because he's so unnerved by the image of the shadow and also by the sound of his own footsteps. So he thinks his solution is to just keep running faster, longer, harder, But at the end of his life, he just crashes and dies of exhaustion because he just kept running away from himself, never really thinking that the truer solution is to just sit down under the shade and then the shadow and the sound of the footsteps go away. And it's just this powerful imagery that helps us recognize that really our work is becoming more comfortable with sitting with ourselves, you know, turning around and facing the darkness, the shadow, the thing that gives us so much fear and anxiety and learning to grow our capacity to sit in that discomfort that then we free ourselves. Do you have anything that you want to tack onto that, because that imagery just is coming through with everything that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: For me, well, I would say we all, none of us get through life without some obstacles and challenges. That's life, you know, And you know what you see sometimes, you know, if you if people don't know me, for example, you know, they see where I live in my life and they would think, wow, Lin's had a really you know, and I do. I love a very wonderful life. But you know, I was a single mother with two children, broke, had no money. I mean, I put myself through school as a single I struggled terribly. I went through a lot of difficult times. I was, you know, adopted as a child. You know, I could go on and on about things like that. And you have those challenges and then it's what you do with those. You know, you can sit and oh, sorry me, or you can look at them and they're all opportunities to learn and grow when you switch your mind to whatever comes to me is an opportunity to learn and grow and I'm going to look for that in it. I'm going to look for that seed. We want to go back to the seeds in there, and I'm going to learn from that. That's when your life changes completely. And that's you know, that's the whole, it's the whole.
Speaker 2: Key Yeah, am men. Amen. Well, just congratulations for doing that, for facing all of that mess. And there's that cliche of like turning the mess into your message, and it really seems like you've done that and that through this embodied, embodied work that you've done first in your life and now sharing with other people, I'm sure that it's really profound, potent, powerful because you've locked the walk.
Speaker 1: And that is the thing, you know, It's where I'm coming from is if I can share, you know, with other people, if I can enlighten one person, if I can take a little load off a person, if I can give them something, then that's my karma, that's my path And the rewards are far more than any money.
Speaker 2: You will ever get.
Speaker 1: And I know you know this if you're really you know, as a yoga teacher, really sincere yoga teacher, and you're really teaching yoga, those moments when someone comes and throws their arms around you. And I've had people cry. I've had to I've sat after class and held someone while they were sobbing. You know, those are the moments that you go, this is why I do this, This is why I do this. It's not because yoga teachers don't make money. You don't make money be a yoga teacher, you know, and you're not in it to make money. But you're in it because it's a path that is so so fulfilling in life, and you're doing something that's helping other people.
Speaker 2: It's karma, yes, one hundred percent back to service. And it's so interesting. I mean, how much hang ups yoga teachers have around receiving money and also how there is this narrative of doing this work that you won't make money, and learning how to how to do it in a way where you can is also a huge message that I try to inspire teachers with that it can be done, but just not in the traditional model, and that when it comes to the eightfold path, even prescribed by the boot of like right living, of doing something in the world that's right living, where it's advancing society and human beings and human nature and drawing up are frequency and energy as a collective. It's like yoga, teaching is where it's at. This is this is right living and right work. There could be a more better thing to be paid for that's in service of greater humanity. So yeah, I just had to say.
Speaker 1: That, and I will tell you that things so you know, things have always come to me. That's what I you know, things always come. I mean, I'm a very fortunate woman, a woman, I have beautiful people in my life. I've traveled the world, I live, you know. It just you go out there and it's just amazing to me the energy You'll come along and there's an opportunity and things happen, you know. And it's not that I'm setting out to try to you know, make money. That that's the goal, you know, that dollar. It's that you put the energy out and it comes back to you and it comes back a hundred times over, you know, And that's to me, is the most important thing in life. I mean, you know, it's just it's a passion and I feel so I feel like I tell my students, I'm the luckiest woman in the world. Is I get to go and I get to teach people, and I get to help people stay healthy. What a great profession, right, agree?
Speaker 2: And I completely agree, and just thank you so much for everything that you've shared here. We haven't had an episode I wanted to, really, it just was interesting and fascinating, but zeroing and on this idea of karmix. We haven't talked too much about it on the podcast yet, So I hope everybody learned something new from this conversation.
Speaker 1: I know that I have.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else that you wanted to say in this realm or in this field, like if there was a way to put a nice little bow on it or a button around karma and energy and how you're maneuvering through life. What else would you say just to close us up here?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that the most important thing in your life is your health. It is truly your wealth, and that is by mind and soul. You can't ignore one nature. Opathy teaches us that all three must come together and balance to have perfect health. So I would say to people that your health is the most important thing to focus on, and then if you can spread that out and send that message to other people's that's really what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Yes, health is your greatest wealth.
Speaker 1: It is. Lose it for a moment, you know. I I teach my students, I say, okay, you got the common cold. You lose you get a common cold, what happens? Oh you can't wait to get healthy? And oh, I just you know, you really appreciate your health. Then you get it and retake it for granted. Don't take it for granted. Get up every day and bless that your feet touched the floor, that you got up, that you have the ability to do these things. There are many people in the world. And I'll kind of finish with this. I have my students, do you know a relaxation and they're relaxing, and I will remind them that there are people in the world that don't have the luxury of these few minutes to just lay down and relax. There are people that are living horrible lives in this world. Appreciate that you have moments. Appreciate that you live in a world where you can take this five minutes to lay down on a map and breathe.
Speaker 2: Amen that attitude of gratitude and what you appreciate, appreciate she ates, and just changing changing the person that's looking you know, it's like it's all about this self identity. Identifying as someone who is blessed and grateful then changes everything, you know it all that's the first domino to tip, and it all just tumbles from there, like your beliefs about your life and all that you've received and all the blessings that you have, even those challenging moments, those pains were actually the portal to take you to this new learning and choosing that mentality changes the thoughts that you have, which then changes the actions that you take, which then changes the life that you have. You know, it all kind of tumbles from there. So thank you so much, doctor Lynne. Yeah, that's karma, that's karma. You are amazing. This conversation has been so life bringing for me. I feel so grateful to have exchanged our energy here virtually, and I'm so happy that the listeners were able to have some of that too. If they're loving everything that you're saying, or they want to plug into you and your community, your books, your website, and your work, where can they find you give them a little information about how to plug in.
Speaker 1: Okay, all they have to do is go to my website and it's spelled out, doctor Lynn dot com. So it's a d O C t O R L y n n dot com. If you go there, there's a history on me. There's my books, there's my classes, there's my consultations. Everything is there. I'm an open book.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome, Well, we will link everything in the show notes for everybody to find you. Appreciate you so much for being on the show. And then also thank you, dear listener, for coming back each and every Wednesday. If you loved this episode and somebody came to mind in your life, your friend, your neighbor, your yoga student, your yoga teacher, and you want to send it to them just to let you know or let them know that you were thinking of them, that would be so so awesome. Help us spread the word about this podcast and until next Wednesday, I misday us. Thanks for listening. If this is your first time, peruse our feed to see if there's something else that will serve you. We're so grateful that you're here and invite you to join our inner circle by subscribing to our newsletter. If this episode resonated with you, help us spread the word by sending it to a friend who needs to hear this message, likes, follows, sends, shares, and reviews help us to continue delivering high quality content to you for free each and every week. Don't forget to tag at Master your Yoga Teaching so we can reshare. I am a certified yogi. However, this podcast is intended for information and entertainment only. If you are interested in mentorship or coaching with me, check out the website linked in the show notes to get more information. This content and other content produced by CLW Studios and affiliated partners, is not therapy, and nothing in this content indicates a therapeutic relationship. Any opinions of guests on the podcast are their own and do not represent the opinions of Mackenzie or CLW Studios. Learn more about Mackenzie, her guests, and CLW Studios by following the links in the show notes. Keep shining and we will see you next Wednesday for another dose of Master Your Yoga Teaching Now Mi, stay Blast