Speaker 1: So extremely pleased now to be joined by Gino Brito, also known as Lewis Sir Dan as a former WWWF Tag Team champion and a legend of the Montreal wrestling world, and he's here to talk to us about Virosok promotions and the time in nineteen eighty when Hulk Hogan, who was just beginning to break through as an attraction not only here in the United States but globally Japan as well as come to find out, Canada, and he faced Andre the Giant in Montreal that summer of nineteen eighty. Gino was the promoter at the time, along with Frank Vola and others. We want to really thank you Gino so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is great to get some history here, because until we really started carefully researching Hulk Hogan's history, I don't think a lot of people appreciated that he went to Montreal after the Shay Stadium match with Andre and you guys were a pretty big house at the Paul Suave Arena, could you.
Speaker 2: I have a matter of facts, Yes, it was at the Pulowe Arena, huh. And the place was really jammed. I even had one of the firemen that told me says, you know, we had some standing room there, and he said, you know, be careful because people were I mean hal Cogan, he just made such a hit and especially against the Giant, so we knew it was the biggest house ever drawn at the Paulsolvat Arena for wrestling.
Speaker 1: Is that right? That is fantastic? What was the house? Do you remember the gate?
Speaker 2: The gate? If I remember at those prices we had, I don't exactly remember it right now, but I know it was over which in those days was over fifty grand.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's very helpful. So tell me about Lerosock Promotions. That's you Frank and Andre.
Speaker 2: Right. Yes, At first my dad had started it and when he passed away, I took over the promotion and I went to see mister McMahon, not the son, the father, and I needed some help a little bit because I was kind of okay. I was wrestling, but I was green and promoting and I never had and he suggested to me that they can Frank Valua, which was from Montreal originally, and he he was pretty well at the end of his career and with Andre the Giant, and they came in as my partners at first. That's how you get the name barasag Vala Russiminov for the giant's name, and Akassela my name at the end there, which made Vara sact. That's what we call it death.
Speaker 1: That's great. So tell me about Andre and his interest in being involved, you know, having a piece of a territory in Montreal back then, not just wrestling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, him, he didn't you know, like we say, he didn't put his nose in the business. But because he knew that Frank was handling it and I was handling it and him and I was gained pretty good friends over you know, which I had known him from before, and everything worked out fine. But you know, Andre Andrea was a happy, go lucky guy and but still he was and Trank Vovo was looking out for his interests.
Speaker 1: So sure, when did you know, do you remember first hearing about Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 2: The first time? I? Well, I knew that there was from the days when he ye, I think he rest for the Minneapolis territory under another name or something.
Speaker 1: He had been he had been in Alabama, Memphis, and he had been yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: And then he went to uh Golden something. It was his name and guy looks good and this and that. I had heard about him, but I had never met him until well, I didn't meet him the night of that show. I had met him before, and but I had heard of him because everybody was talking about him that the year is a potential to be a big, big star, which he was. And so when he came in, it's because of course of mister McMahon, Vince McMahon sending him in, because of the connection between the Giant, McMahon and Frank Vauvoir and all that. Sure, and so it was easy to book him. And since they had a piece of the territory, he even made it even easier.
Speaker 1: Right, How was how was Vin Senior about Andre owning a piece of a territory? He didn't consider Andre his exclusive talent. He was okay with him going up to Montreal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, he's the one that suggested it too. I mean, uh, you know, when we talked, he knew Frank Frank would come in and that the Giant would be an asset. And then that was on the verge of getting TV all over on the English Channel and the French channels up here we eat French and I had TV going all the way from tender Bray, Ontario to the Marathimes, and so we seen that we've seen the potential in the territory and went Andre, well.
Speaker 1: That you know, that was your race there absolutely well, looks like it really started in Versoch for Hogan on nineteen eighty where we found some press clippings today there were we had.
Speaker 2: Some matches before that, this and that, and we had a couple of guys that that. We had the Rusial brothers here and rick later on he was he came in later Ricky Martel, but Dino Bravo came in and and with the Vagina and the territory picked up and every time we had the giant here. Well, of course we did some good business.
Speaker 1: It looks like in May he wrestled at war Capontier Hogan did Do you remember Hogan and Carpontier? Why would Why were they put together?
Speaker 2: Uh? I don't really remember. That was it for our promotion?
Speaker 1: It looks like, yeah, it looks like it was. I mean, all we have is one press clipping that shows that he was there in May. It's kind of the first time we didn't.
Speaker 2: Wrest Carpentier in Montreal, and that's what's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, perhaps it was, it was a different city. What was Edward Capontier's involvement with the territory and do you remember him having an occage?
Speaker 2: Had to worry Cambarantine never had any points, any percentage in the promotion or nothing. Yeah, he was just the here as per former wrestler, and he had been a year before and he's the one that they at first. They gave a good hand to my father when he first started, although the territory was completely dead then because we had they never had TV and they were all TV doesn't work, so but Carpenter he needed. Of course, he was one of our top guys here too, you know Edward with the Vashon, Maurice Vashon and O that and Rujo's. Yeah, he never had anything to do with the promotion. Said it was the commentary on television with g Ray, a man by the name of g O Ray.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know they.
Speaker 2: Used to do the French version of of our wrestling program on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we found an article from May fourth, nineteen eighty you remember we just lovec right, Yeah, yeah, so he did an article that said the Monday that wrestling season kicks off tomorrow evening Paul Schwave Sports Center. The promoter none other than Frank Vaulois, and his first card proved his seriousness. He pitted a favorite among Montreal wrestling fans at Ward Capontier against the current biggest star in New York, Hulk Hogan. So apparently that's where it went down.
Speaker 2: No, I don't remember. You could be right, but right.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh that's fine, yeah, yeah, just in case it jogs your memory.
Speaker 2: There is. I don't remember that. But yes, as a matter of fact, that the night that the Giant wrestled all Cogan, Regis which was a boxing promoter. Then I gave him, as I said, I want a big promotion on this because he was connected with the newspapers and all that I see and he had done. I held a story on Cogan, so that really helped too to pack the house. Was great talking about it.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about Regis Lovek. He was a boxing promoter. Yeah, okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had the office next to ours, yep, on the second floor of the Postova Arena and the end of like the hal Tuns and all the he was in the boxing, in the boxing promotion, but he also, like I said, he helped us promote us another small town and you're in Quebec called Three Rivers and for that one show, which he had nine to do with the promotion, but the publicity he did all he did the public city for that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great because it's some of the surviving material that we can look at his research. So that's just great. It looks like there's some surviving footage some fan took some film. I believe it was July twenty third, nineteen eighty in Quebec City where you can see Hulk wrestling Carpontier. It's on idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that could be the Quebec city, but not in Montreal, Okay, sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it looks like there was a July fourteenth match in Montreal as well. But yeah, on Carpentier was he because he seems to me like he was from another generation. I was surprised to see that he was very active in nineteen eighty in terms of in the ring.
Speaker 2: What was that? Yeah, although you had a big point there, I mean, his best years were that generation before, but he was still a man for even he was in his late forties, I think, and it's still in great shape, and I must admit better fit than I was, But he and he can't. But the only thing is that I personally as a promoter and with miss with Frank and all that, we didn't rely on him toil the really drawn, big big houses anymore. You know. The only other guy that was of the other generation that's still the great for us because of his character and all that was Matt Doug But Shan but and but him and Carpenty first of all didn't get along too well. So you couldn't do much business with these two together, you know. But he did help still, he was a good draw on the card, but he was like the top baby faces, let's say, in those days. Of course he had the gianty aardno Bravo and the rules shows him stuff like that, yes, which, but Carponi was still plugging along and doing fairly well.
Speaker 1: So when you first heard about Sterling Golden Hulkogan, did you hear.
Speaker 2: That Sterling Golden I was looking for?
Speaker 1: Did you hear that he was limited in the ring and just really huge or did you hear that he had what did you hear about him that you know, he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Nick Bob Winker in the ring, you know that could make a broomstick look good, you know what I mean? But but he had that potential. He was the only guy and the man could talk. He was good on interviews. He knew what to say, and he had that presence and he got that, you know, and he stuck to his gimmick. Wood was good with the yellow boots and yellow and people just bought into him. And of course that's why that I don't think there's anybody that threw the money that he drew, and that in his time that he was on top.
Speaker 1: Absolutely when you brought him in for the Andre programmed, how did you handle the fact that he didn't speak French?
Speaker 2: Help? That is?
Speaker 1: Did he cut promos in English on your TV?
Speaker 2: And Hulk? You know it? Skike? Here we got some hockey players that only speak English, but they're so good that people buy him, and Hogan was one of those. As far as wrestlings, they just loved all Cogan, especially the young kids. I mean, I had never seen so many fathers and mothers bring their kids to the matches as that night, Is that right? You know? And oh yeah, you had kids. They're especially ten twelve year old kids. They just knew. I don't know how, but they knew about hul Coogan.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting.
Speaker 2: But we had that pushed them a lot on TV and newspapers and you know we you know, which helps. But he was somebody special. I gotta say, I never had a guy that it was so easy as far as promotions go, for to push the right away, to to start drawing big money like that. You know, so oh Hogan the first time he came in like well with the giant, nobody ever wrote that Gratuate at the post overreada I don't think we could have anyway. I don't would have let us do with it. People were afraid for security and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that many people, So I would expect. I would have thought that if he came in in nineteen eighty he would have been a heel in Montreal against Andre Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which he was then, but he would you know. It's like there's some guys in their business as you I'm sure you know, like Hogan, Steve Austin, they were heels, but people still cheer him and he was one of them. And I tell you there were as many people there, Probably not as many, but a lot of them were cheering Logan last night.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's fascinating matter.
Speaker 2: What they he was over, like I said, especially with the young children.
Speaker 1: Did you get you know, tapes from vincior did he send tapes that you played in your TV of Hulk wrestling and doing promos?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah on channel for all of their way Away. We promoted a few things there and mostly, like I said, if I gave us a big hand there because I knew he was good with promotions. I mean his boxing shows us. Every one of his boxing shows was doing good. So I said, look to think over the publicity, and which he did, and he really pushed everybody was talking about wrestling there. That's and you could tell you we're going to draw a good house when you got all the tickets, so then advanced.
Speaker 1: Yeah do you remember Gino? Were you motivated to book Hulk because of the house that him and Andre drew at Shay Stadium? Was that sort of the catalyst for you?
Speaker 2: No? No, not, Look we all knew that that. You know what they say about ninety thousand, I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 1: I No, No, I'm not talking about not wrestling three. I'm talking about when he wrestled Andre in nineteen eighty in the summer underneath Bruno versus Larry's Obisco. Yeah that show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah Abisco. Yeah yeah. I knew that he draw money, that it was worth to bring him in there to way, it wasn't a losing proposition, yes, But of course in those days I was talking to Vince the Fathers and Vince was said, yeah, we'll push him this and that, and I said sure, because I could tell that the guy, even when he was wrestling as throwing Golden, which he wasn't all Cogan, I could hear from other restlans say this kid, he's green, but he's gonna be somebody's this is, you know. And we just booked him. And with the Giant, well you couldn't miss here in Montreal with the Giant. First of all, he spoke French, the Giant. The people knew he lived in Montreal, this and that. So if you got the guy to go against him and organ with his size and everything, and the people bought into it and it was an easy thing to book.
Speaker 1: What did Andre think of Hope?
Speaker 2: Did he like him? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I think he did, you know, unlike you could tell Andre, you know who you like, like right between you and and now he didn't like John said too much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well known, yeah, and then you could tell by.
Speaker 2: The matches that you know, it should have worked out to Giants home hosts and but but they was a Cogan, he knew and anyway to do what he did there at in Pontyak, Michigan for for the Hull, he had to like him because Andrea.
Speaker 1: Was his own man, absolutely so. So it was more Vince Senior recommending Hulk in nineteen eighty than it was Andre recommending Hulk in nineteen eighty to come up to Montreal.
Speaker 2: No, No, it was uh, it wasn't Andrea at all. It was Andrea we booked it, but everything was McMahon. And you know, he had the power and he had the restless and he you know, like when I talked to him, he gave me some pointers and I agreed with him on that and that was it excellent. But Andre just came in and like I said, he was in the office, but he never he never, like I've never seen him come in the office and sit behind the desk. I look at the booking or something like that. It was his sight.
Speaker 1: That's good to know. Did you know Louis Louis to la.
Speaker 2: If excuse me.
Speaker 1: Did you know Louis to A Louis TOI Lett He booked for Ron Fuller, and he booked in Florida, and he's from Montreal, Oh.
Speaker 2: Louis tellt Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew him well, very well.
Speaker 1: The reason I bring him up to now.
Speaker 2: Was over here when he'd come and visits Montreal a few times, because you know, and I had him in my house for supper and all that. I knew Louis Toilette pretty well. A good wrestling mind, by the way.
Speaker 1: Yes, But the reason I bring him Mupchino is because, you know, as far as we can tell, the first booker to really book Hulk as a monster was Louie. When Louie was booking for Ron Fuller in Alabama.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Do you.
Speaker 1: Remember Louie talking about Hulk at all and kind of discovering him or at least giving him the Hulk gimmick?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, he did talk about him. The only thing, you know, like we used to about the Hulk no matter, you know, because some guys would criticize, Oh, he's not that good a worker. He can't do this, can do that. But like Ruie said, you know the bottom line is he's drawn the money. Yes, and so you know he knew he knew he had a business mine. I gotta say, Louie. And he could tell it when a guy would click that's the term we use in the UH. And he knew to push. Sometimes it wasn't the best of wrestler as far as the technique and all that, but the guy would throw all your money. And that's the way you look at it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he's the one.
Speaker 2: Actually, Luis a d When I told him another wrestler, Adullah the Butcher, which I I it wins Ontario, I kind of started. I would say, not promoting then, but a Dullah the Butcher. And I met with with anduisa, let that guy's gonna go far and and I said, you know they should. I said that she said that gimmick this and that I don't know if it's said, don't worry about it, he's gonna go far. So you could tell that the guy knew about promoting wrestling and booking, especially wrestlingstly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bring him. I also bring up Louis because when he was booking for Ron Fuller, not only did he bring in Hulk Hogan in nineteen seventy nine, but he immediately he immediately matched up Hulk with Andre. The first time Hulk and Andre wrestled was for Ron Fuller in Alabama, and sure there he.
Speaker 2: Could see he could see all our science there. Yes, which you know, that's what you want to do. You want to draw some money no matter what sports you're in, and that's it. And Dods too, well, you had the biggest things there.
Speaker 1: In the business was Andre when he wrestled in eighty still Jean Forrey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in Montreal. He always was Jean Forray always. Yeah, they always called him Jean Feri.
Speaker 1: Jehan Fetty, sorry John fetti X. I'm looking at yeah, some of the advertisements in the newspapers up there, and you know it's Hulk and Andre, but it's John Freddy. That's how you can always tell if it's Montreal.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, you're everybody. Jean Peree because he had wrestled for Grand Prix Wrestling before in the early seventies, when he came in as Jean Forray for so many years that people you know, he said that to them he was, but people knew that his real name was Andrea russim Off because of the public of newspapers and all that. So you know, they bought also Andre the Giant. Yeah, but they say, is you're in Montreal, Quebec, especially the province people was was Jean Foray, Jean.
Speaker 1: Forerray, somebody else? That hulk wrestled in Montreal, according to the records we have as Jackie Whites. Do you remember Jackie Whites, Jackie v X, Oh pardon me, Jackie v X, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that he was the nephew of Carpentier.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he was more of a journey man than you know, by the year, being the nephew of Carpentier. He came in and very nice and uh, you know, he had a few matches where you know, like double main events and stuff like that, and a good worker, the same build, the same size, a bit bigger than Carpentier, but the same size, you know. And but he didn't use the name Carpentier. First of all, Carparentier would wouldn't have liked that. And he used the name Jackie his real name is the xovich, so he cut it down to the X Jackie.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, Okay, great, Yeah, I'm also seeing that Hawk wrestled Ben Hallay. And if I'm not mistaken, did you have a guy there named Dick Van Dyke?
Speaker 2: We had a guy yeah, yeah, yeah, the fame as.
Speaker 1: The TV per Okay, that's true. That's not a typo. Okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, was Dick van Dyke, another journeyman. It looks like it was like a squash match that he had against you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was, it was. It was.
Speaker 1: How about Pat Patterson, of course, a Montreal guy. It was surprising to us.
Speaker 2: He came in there in the late eighties, about eighty four eighty five, right, and he did some good business as we in trenches with eyes Qebec in English is the dream of Quebec. Yes, he was a heel and he did good year in Montreal with against Saray Rougeo and all that.
Speaker 1: Right, that was years later. I was thinking more Gino because when we go back and find some of the earliest training footage of Terry Boleah Halcogen training in Florida and Tampa in the ring with him as Pat Patterson, who I think may have been an assistant booker for the Graham at the time in seventy seven.
Speaker 2: That I don't know. I knew that he was a big help to Vince during the w WF years there, and of course and this and that. Yeah, another good to a wrestling mind. By the way, Pat passes different than Louis Toilette. Luis Toilette was uh sometimes pat he wanted to do things a little too fast, but he still had that mind about wrestling. He's the one that, uh that you know that how do you call what you battle royal? When guys come in everything? Yeah, he's someone that figured that out and everything.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I was wondering he had he had a good mind. Did Pat Patterson have an impression of Hulk Cogan? Did Pat Patterson support Hulk?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Pat Patterson got he there's a guy I gotta tell you. He gotta tell me. He got along with everybody and you could see them, you know, anytime a guy was getting over. He like a few times he sacrificed himself for others because he knew that, you know, he said he wouldn't be staying here that long anyway, because Evince one of them back in New York where he did some work there with starting slaughter and all that. That's right business then and no, no, but and I like personally, I like Pat. The guy was, uh, no matter if you had a thousand people or ten thousand people, he worked the same way. You know. Yeah, good worker.
Speaker 1: You had said, you know the difference between Pat Patterson and Louis Tillett from a booking perspective, I think was that Pat liked to move fast. What do you mean by fast?
Speaker 2: Louis tilt was more like I said that, Louis tell that to me. You know, I could see by what he did, like, you know, he wouldn't think, oh, we're gonna draw a big house and that well you know, tell him it was We're gonna build it up and really draw a big ouse. You know. Yeah, I think the patients plus see, he could recognize talent very very well Louis Toilette, which I'm not saying Pat could not, right, but to me, I put my money on Louis for that.
Speaker 1: Very very interesting. So in addition to the Montreal match at the Paul Suavel Arena that we talked about, Hogan also appeared to have wrestled Andrea in the summer of nineteen eighty and Timmins, Ontario and Sturgeon Falls, Ontario were those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, those sounds. We used to go to Ontario also. He must have done some work for the other promotions, Frank Tony Promotions out of Toronto, Yeah, and probably sol Ogan there. But of course here he used to do the whole circuit there. He even went into the Maritimes, Gas Pay all the areas northn Quebec, Ontario. Andre did all the towns, even the small towns. He used to look to to be on the road. I had I had myself. I had bought one of those fans with the big bubble top for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as long as the you know, he's right there with me and this and that and on the way back, that case of heir had to be there. I love it.
Speaker 1: So the big matches. August twenty fifth, nineteen eighty Paul Suaverena, Montreal. It's the match we started talking about Hogan versus Jean Frey under the Giant. What do you remember about the finish? You know, how did the match play out? Was it a was it a negotiation? Figure out? The finish how did that go? I?
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I was so busy I didn't even see the match. I'll tell you why, because people were even used paper. Guys were coming to me, I need tell me about this, tell me about that. So I'd get a glimpse and that's about it, you know, and uh, running around, And then I was my I had an office upstairs on that. Like I said the same, Floria and my wife were my My wife came to the matches and sh I can't go up It's full of people up there. I said, what the hell they're doing up there? The matches are down here. Wow. And so I was too busy to really look at the match. It's more first of all, I was nervous, but I was thinking, Hey, you know what, I was so proud of the house and all that and so that. So if you asked me about the finish, I'm sorry. I'm not with the one that could tell you that.
Speaker 1: That's okay. So I just I didn't know until I asked you. If you if you saw the match, do you think at the time it would have been a sensitive thing as far as like whether Hogan or Andre went over. He just did a count out even if you don't remember the finish. Was that a big part of bringing a guy like Hulk up is, you know, figuring out how the finishes would go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No matter what there is with Hogan, Uh you know, you know, I don't care if you would have lost in the middle of one, two three, p He's still the next week you were wrong with somebody else. He's still so love you know what I mean. Yes, he had that that that power, and of course, uh nobody we took care of the Giant might face it and nobody's gonna pin the Giant one two three there. But still I'm dad worked out, it worked it out, And that's why I say that Ogan that the Giant light oaken because of that. You know, Hey, it's just the fact that he put them over that strong. They're in Pontiac, Michigan.
Speaker 1: Fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and for an Seo m J. Pisaro. That's something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a great point. You know that I think people that people that don't know about Hogan and Andre's history before Pontiac, Michigan might not appreciate the significance of Andre taking the one two three against Hulk because like you said, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, that that that was, you know, which he never did for anybody like you were to. You know, he had some matches with donal Lee, with Jonathan too. They called it here we had it. It wasn't my promotion though, that was a con priest promotion. He They called it Match of the Century and of course nobody beat anybody there, you know, but still he wouldn't have been pinned so to do it for Ogan. He must have really liked the Hulkin and of course he respected the Vincement plans so much too that that helps, you know, if Vince says we do it this way or that that was it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think that even though you didn't see the match, do you think helped me have slammed Andrea in Montreal that that night?
Speaker 2: No, No, he tried to. From what I hear, he tried, you know, like to pick him up a few times, you know that try they build it up there, you know he did they that would that would have been something special because you know, you don't want on Andrea. He had to put in the people's mind that Andre was unbeatable and to beat Andre or something. People say, well, this guy I might do it, you know, and and Hogan was the guy to do that. I don't. I don't see even your biggest seal in New York. Oh yeah, you would have sold out, a normal sellout. But let me tell you, if it would have been in the Montreal form, which you can sit twice the people that you can do with the Soviet we would have sold out the form too. Oh wow, you think so it fell out the form a lot of times anyway, but that would have sold out. So you know, when you talk about haul Cogan and Andre, to me, it's it's a it's a bit special. It's it's they're not just two wrestlers. I don't care who's on top. There isn't that many restlessly give that can continually you know that he did for so many years sell.
Speaker 1: Out like you had absolutely. Why wasn't the forum available? Was the forum having wrestling back in nineteen eighty Yeah, we used to go to.
Speaker 2: The forum, but we went to the forum. We had the form like we'd go about sometimes once a month, sometimes every six weeks, because uh form was booked pretty hard. If it was, and if I remember, well, then there was something that night at the form at the I'm not sure now, don't take my word for it, but I think that's why we couldn't go there, and so we did it at the Paul Sobey, but we went to the form where we had sell. I was there too well. As a matter of fact, the match between Jonathan and the Giant that was at the Forum, Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was another battle of the giants, right.
Speaker 2: Like hold Andre, Yeah, that was like they call it here, the battle of the century Donalo Jonathan against the Giant. And we used to it to the Forum and we had some because the way you can put people on the ice with ringside, which cannot do it hockey. We had one of the biggest cross ever at the form, which it wasn't quite twenty one thousand people, but very close to it.
Speaker 1: This is for Jonathan, is Andre you're saying, uh yeah, yeah that.
Speaker 2: That match too, I think surefs them, but it did draw that match at least eighteen to twenty thousand people.
Speaker 1: Nomen So if the Polwavi did fifty thousand maybe at the gate, what what if Hulx payoff been for a night like that?
Speaker 2: Well that I don't remember exactly, but he had a percentage which we sent also a percentage to Vents. And it wasn't the money that he started to make. Oh no, you know, not even close to what he was making, you know, a bit too later run. But it wasn't good payoff. And also we had the Giant to pay. Honestly, if if we were at that kind of crowd without the Giant and oh Corgan, we would have doubled the prop.
Speaker 1: So looking back to you know, we saw a print advertisement in one of the Montreal newspapers for the Hulk Android match and it said on it that the patch was going to happen at Park Jerry, Jerry Park where the Expos used to play. I don't know if that was it.
Speaker 2: Never did, it never materialized. We never went to the Jerry Park with the Giant and Ogan.
Speaker 1: Right, was that a plan at one point? Was that something you guys were exploring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were loved to do it, but we just couldn't. Everything went wrong there because they were back in the sementies they went to but then they had change it for tennis, and and we only have a certain date and just did not coincide with the Big Office in Washington. So we couldn't really work it out, and the Giant Ogan by then, you know there are a plan for him. I guess.
Speaker 1: I see. So I'm clear. When you guys had the match of the Paul Suave Arena, was that supposed to be Jerry Park or was Jerry Park supposed to be another?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, no, no no. We had no idea about Jerry Park then, because first of all, it was all new right Ogan and this and that, and we knew he woulddraw. I would have loved to put that. I told you, I think I would have loved that that show. I had talked to Frank Vaudwin and we said we're gonna go down and see Cory which runs the forum, the forum, the forum that day that we could get Ogan. That Monday, we could not get the Forum, so we went to the Paul. So I was reading we had which we had wrestling at the Soulo every Monday, usually every Monday.
Speaker 1: I was reading in Pat la Prodd's book when Hogan came in. Did you yourself do you know Russell Hulk one?
Speaker 2: If I? If I?
Speaker 1: What did you wrestle Logan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, no, you did not have a match against him? Okay, no, No, what was the What was it like working with Vince McMahons as far as putting the deal together?
Speaker 2: And I love it was very easy because first of all, you know, you said, sit down, talk business. Within ten minutes it was over. You would all just right away say yes or no when that was it, So you know, so and then I was greeingly on years too. So you know, for me to do business, I had worked for Evinces, you know, but never as a promoter, you know about the dealings and stuff like that. So that's why I had gone down to where we met was not in Washington, was in New York City at the hotel there. And that's it. And but you know, if you said, yeah, we're going to do it, you didn't have to worry. You know, we've done that.
Speaker 1: Last question for you. It used to be obviously the model where Vince Senior would rent out Andre for a fee to all the different territories when it came to working with you because Andre had a piece of verasak, was it different or did you have to pay?
Speaker 2: And no, no, we're still we had that deal there and where he got the percentage and this, and you know, but it didn't matter because you were drawing so much more money, you still made more money than usual, you know for sure?
Speaker 1: Did you have to do? Did Vin want?
Speaker 2: The deal? Was the deal and that's it. And everybody that used the Hulk as you just mentioned, whether he would wrestle the Porida or anywhere, and McMahon had a cut on I guess.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know, and not I guess I know, yeah, sure? Did it look to you? Do you know that Vince Senior basically followed the Andre model with Hulk?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, basically probably, although you know he could not. You see, there's one big difference between Hulk too and anybody, and it would tell you the same. And Pat Patterson there was very adamant on that when he because he was very close to the McMahons. You could not do with the Giant what you could do with the Hull Cogan because all Cogan, like Bruno sa Martino, you could put a week after after a month after money, draw money, whereas the Giant was built more like people seem as a special attraction, you know, a big one. But how many how many guys could have worked with the Giant the same way Ogan? Did you know he worked with a guy like Paul Orndorf, which wasn't that big, and then he'd worked with the bigger guys, and but the Giant, there was just so many and unless you were so big like Ogan, people believed in Ogan or don Leo Jonathan you're in Montreal, they believed in it, but you could not you know, let's say an example, if I would have said that I would have put the Giant against some of his Vashan. I don't think it would have meant as much because people figured the Giants twice as big as you know, he was an attraction, a big attraction, I gotta say, unlike the Mitches were an attraction, but you know they were under card, but the Giant he had to put them on top all the time anyway, So I don't think you build him up the same way he built this champion Ogan that went away. And the Giant never needed a belt, never had one because he couldn't do what an ordinary wrestler would do.
Speaker 1: And they don't think so oh, I understand, yeah, exactly what I mean. Did McMahon's television reach Montreal back then?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, yeah, because he had the program in Burlington, Vermont in English that came into montrealal all the first of all, all the in Canada year, we get all the American programs anyway, but they were so close that we were so already he was on TV. So it was easy, you know, because as when at first, I'll give you which got name to do with Ogan? When my dad died, I took over the business, and that same night that my dad died there we had a show. Yeah, and Montreal were drawing around a couple of thousand people every Monday, twenty five hundred, twenty eight hundred sometimes, But we brought in because of that TV in Burlington. Pat Parson again flew Albano and we almost sold out the place completely. So that's how strong that the American station was. Also it brought the English people, you know, they washed it probably Montreal being bilingual, and we had the French and the English, and that did it. I mean, by the time Ogogan came around, you know TV, first of all, I had all the TV's going. I had another one in Quebec city, went and all over the place, so it was you know, it was not but that's the way it is. So I don't think that get back to your question that all can Andre were promoted the same way. No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for those extra answers. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, well that's my opinion, you know, from here, from my viewpoint, from here, you know, from Canada. I don't know how other promoters dealt with it. But like you say, we had an ace in the whole because Frank Vauba and the Giin were partners in the company, so a lot. That really helped a lot. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Did do you know Gino did did Andre have like the stake in Varsak all the way through the end, Like was that something that he ever sold?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Finally they got out, Frank got out. He got out, you know because the Giant actually was there, you know, because of Vince Firkman that said, you know, the Giant will go in with vowel and that's it. And like I said, he was there not as a promoter, as a wrestler. He never, like I said, he never looked at the books, never looked you know. First of all, he was always gone someplace. He'd come in to wrestle Montreal, yes, but then he probably was gone someplace elf, So he wasn't around to really be part of the promotion. So when he sold it him was with nothing, you know, he but kept the mirror a bit a bit too, was his restaurant that he had, So that helps a bit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you mentioned the restaurant. I understand you went in there a few times. How you ate there?
Speaker 2: Oh? I went there, yeah, a few. I don't know how many times where I went there quite a bit. What was it? Like?
Speaker 1: What did you get? What did you order?
Speaker 2: But that sometimes, you know, I would have right to go in there like I go with my went with my wife sometimes when Andrea wasn't there, because with Andrea you couldn't pay, right, he never made me. He didn't, you know, you could not pay, and you know, I said, what the hell? You know, you know, I'm sponging off Andrea. So you know, but a few times when he wasn't there because he was with one of those actresses around your fiato was her name, the fiat And so I went just as you know, when he wasn't there, because I like to go there once in a while, and that's it.
Speaker 1: You know, what did you what kind of food was it? What did you order?
Speaker 2: Oh? He had all kinds of fool, A lot of French food. He make anything the castle, you know those French When I go in with the Giant, Actually I never ordered. He just said, I'm gonna make this, Ione, make that, put her on the table, and we need it, which was you know two times still too. We had meat like feakes and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, you know, so.
Speaker 2: You know it wasn't nice. And of course with the Giant also, I don't know why, but even I was drinking a little too much. I bet as feel as a glass of wine. Print of all him, I was a four guy? For why did they eat four and I take two? Six? I said, I called him in those days, who would call him Andre? Hey, what the hell you doing it? That's just still have full, you know, he laughing, Yeah, let's having the rink Bilin we toast but him, while I had that one drink, you probably had four or five. What is it? Uh?
Speaker 1: What was it like to see WWF go on to promote Hulk and Andre like they had never wrestled before. When you they wrestled for you in nineteen eighty That was so weird because so many people saw them wrestle all over the World, Japan, Montreal, but then come eighty seven, they had to pretend they never wrestled before.
Speaker 2: What was that like? Well, I mean, t you know, it's funny just the two three weeks ago, I was at a barber shop and the guy told me, he says, you know that, He said, no, Cogan, we were talking about every time he sees me talks wrestling. Oh. I said, yeah, so oh co the Giant and I said, we can say that we had a mirror before everybody else, right, yeah, you know, so it's funny that all of a sudden you mentioning that.
Speaker 1: I wondered, like wrestling, the three obviously went everywhere, including Canada. I wonder if the fans in Montreal were sort of like, you know, rolling their eyes when WWF was telling them that Hulk and Andre never wrestled before. But it was only seven years before.
Speaker 2: They you know. Of course if people thought about it, of course they knew, especially the people that were there, they've seen them match. They'd say, hey, those guys are lying, they're not telling the truth there, right, the definitely wrestled in Montreal.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Gino? Did Fred Blastie come with Hulk for that? The First, what did Fred Blassie come with Hogan to the match against Andrea in Montreal?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, okay no, And I guess just just finally I would I would ask you for your thoughts on the transition from Vince Senior to Vince Junior. How did that change things for you, because obviously the alliance with you and Vince Senior was very importance.
Speaker 2: There was, honestly, you know that I did that after my promotion. My trailed my promotion because first of all, the Dino Bravo, the Rugos, Martel, the Giant, everybody left, right, yeah, And I tried for seven eight months to keep going and my crew, which the Sovey was doing always well, and Quebec City and all that, and all of a sudden I wasn't drunk seven and people because I didn't have any more stars, and I dropped a lot, a lot of money very so I had to bankrupt the company, you know, all that, which was hard to take. But that's that's business. And its Pat Patterson that came to me and said, come to New York. I went to New York and I met Vince the father and Vince the son, and Vince said, okay, you promote. I had the license for them. I still had my the promotion with the Athletic Commission on that then there was an Athletic Commission and I promoted for them for a couple of years. Here all right, you with a bunch of Vince back on my feet, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So you were losing the stars because Vince Junior wasn't letting them go.
Speaker 2: Well, I was losing. When I think about it, you know today you say, well, it's not you know, but in those days, when you're losing three four or five thousand a night, all of a sudden, you see, because I'd bring in guys and fire them in and this, and then your expenses were there, but that wasn't drawing any more money, right, But you know that's it. And now if I had to do it over again, I'm gonna just put the key in the door. And that's it.
Speaker 1: The hard way, Yeah, And when.
Speaker 2: You find out the hard way. And also, you know, because my dad before I started doing good, my dad also I no TV, like I said, and I said, I said, you know, excuse the expression, I said, fuck he he uh. You know, my dad gave his life and everything crazy for the bid, I'm going to keep going and see it. But it didn't work out.
Speaker 1: Didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Then you make up, you shake hand and Vince Junior was good enough. They're giving me a job, and which I did well. I was then everything was doing good with the you know, you had all this Marschall Main and Ogan and British Bulldogs, everybody coming in there. Yeah, it was They didn't do the survey. We only did the form and and that with Vince.
Speaker 1: So besides besides Hogan, and besides Hogan and Andre, who are some of the other stars that Vince Junior didn't let come to Montreal anymore? Who else do you remember losing?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean, first of all, my my local guys which I had the two friend Shanes, the Rugos and Martell and Tonga, remember Amy Russell, that name it coul And and those guys. They all laughed and they all came to see me, and I told him, I said, look for the money that you'll be making. I said, I cannot in all honesty ask you to stay. So he especially Diano Bravo, which I broke in the bit on you him since he was a nine year old kid. I broke into business and everything, and he felt bad. I said, God, don't feel bad, because you're going to make five times what you can make with me. Absolutely, and they all laugh. And that's it. And I remain friends with all of them. I mean, business is business. But then you know you still have a grudge a bit you're in there and then it goes away, and it goes away.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So just finally looking back the Hogan Andre match August twenty fifth, nineteen eighty at the pul Suavorina in Montreal, just to revisit it, you you think that was what the biggest where would you put it? As far as the matches you were able to promote all the.
Speaker 2: Time, biggest throw, the biggest throw money was and everything to me, right and if I remember right there, we had you know, up the ringside a bit and everything, and we had a hell of a house. First of all, we never could have done that again because like I said, you know, they have a certain law that that there's so many people, you know, they're afraid of fire and stuff like that. And I don't know if it's still the same today, but then, and but to me, it was the the show that of all shows.
Speaker 1: I love that, the show of all shows. And just finally, Gina, what did you what went through your mind and your heart when you found out that who had passed away?
Speaker 2: Oh? So, I mean especially you know, okay at his age. You know, to me, he was still a young man. I'm eighty five years old now, wow, So you can imagine that, you know, when I see a guy in his sixties pass away, I've got a son that's sixty three years old. Yeah, to me, it was very young, and I couldn't believe that man. But I I don't want to say because I don't know for sure, but probably is his way of living and the way he abuse his body somehow, I don't know. Yeah, yeah, I heard that he even he had shrunk like two three inches of set through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he would say. Yeah, for sure. And he was hunched over because all the back problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all the back. But he had so many operations and all that, and it's too bad. But you know, you guy could have had. You know, it's still a good life. What can you do. That's the way it is.
Speaker 1: Well, Gino Bredo, thank you so very much for taking the time to reflect.
Speaker 2: On this it's it's the kind of very happy. If tell you a few things, I'm sorry about what I don't remember. Oh, that's okay, Like I said a few things, you know, especially that night there I you will asked me my name and I Will have had trouble. That's so nervous.
Speaker 1: That's so amazing that it was such a crazy night that you couldn't even watch the match. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't watch the match, and neither the Frank Bauba watched that match because he was upstairs there, you know, because he said, I can't leave my accountant, Joe Blanchi alone. People were coming in and now look they want to pictures this and that thing. So we were we were busy there. Man. We have to take care of the business.
Speaker 1: End of it absolutely well. But we're grateful that we did get the perspective of what it was like to work with Hulk in Montreal. It sounds like overall, very positive.
Speaker 2: I tell you, I do it all over again, terrific.
Speaker 1: Gino Brdo, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Take care now.