Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games.
Speaker 1: Taking you on a journey through fantasy.
Speaker 3: Football, the law, and life.
Speaker 1: We saw your depends on how much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 3: Dominate your fantasy drafts.
Speaker 4: Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 5: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly disc Dicussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer. Let's not delay. Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 4: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 5: Welcome into this week's discussions with Drew. Our guest for you this week is a man that I had the pleasure of spending a little bit of face to face time with this past weekend, Michael f Florio from the NFL Network Fantasy Analyst NFL Analysts. He's got his fingers in a lot of different pies here with Sirius XM Fantasy and the Sick podcast covering the Buffalo Bills. We'll get a chance to talk with him about the bills today. But welcome to the show. Thank you so much for making time for us.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you for having me Drew.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I got to spend a lot some face time with you, but not as much as I you know, I could always use more time with Drews, So.
Speaker 5: I know, man, I felt like we were kind of like in each other's orbit the whole weekend, but like not a lot of like actual time together, which you know, that's how it goes. It feels like you're at a wedding, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, every time you turn around, you're having a new conversation.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's fun, it's great. But I left and I was like, oh, I didn't get to hang out with you as.
Speaker 5: Much as I wanted, I know, and I looked for you guys the last night, and then I was bothering you and Marcus when you were on the air on Sunday because I just like wanted to talk to you guys. I'd barely hung out with you guys. But my favorite was Marcus telling us one night he was going to bed by just texting me and you saying it's a rap, Like it was no explanation, no I'm out of here, no I'll catch up with you tomorrow. Just it's a rap. And then that was the end for Marcus. But had a great time seeing you man.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: Likewise, so thank you for Green to come on the show. We got a ton of news to get to because it's the best time of year where we actually get to talk about football without like speculating about what might happen because we're in training camps, so that's super exciting. And I put together like a camp highlight kind of show sheet today what are the narratives that we're hearing And I want to let you unpack some of this stuff and see what your opinions are on the narratives that are developing, because there are some that are really starting to get a runaway train here, and I want to see whether we need to stop that or whether you're in on the narrative. So yeah, the first one I want to talk about is the two most important guys in fantasy football this year, Jamior Gibbs and Bjeon Robinson. They're doing what we call the hold in now. They're not actually staying away, but they're not practicing because ostensibly they both want new contracts. Is that in fact what's going on? And do we need to be concerned about these two guys?
Speaker 1: I don't think so at all.
Speaker 3: Look, it's there's still a very long runway for these guys to get signed. I guess I would if you ask me which one is a little bit more concerning, I guess it's Bijon because new play caller, new OC like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of change there this year.
Speaker 3: So the more time away from the team, the less optimal that is. But I think both of these teams know how good those two are. I think they know their offense is going to go. Look, they have a lot of other talented pieces around them, but they're going the running game and a large portion of the offense is gonna go as far as you as these guys can take you. And maybe if like the Lions didn't trade David Montgomery, you'd be a little bit more concerned about Gibbs. But I think both of these guys get paid. I think it's really cool that they're kind of doing this together. They came into the league together, they're taken over together. Now they're advancing the position and the pay rate at the position together. I still think they're picks one and two as of now. Now, look, if maybe you want to pivot and take a Chase or a Puka, I wouldn't, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna tell you that's a bad decision.
Speaker 3: But I'm not letting this hold in right now, five weeks out from Week one, determining from what I think are the two best players in fantasy football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm with you there.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit funny that we heard zero of this and we've all just been on the Gibbs Vijon like no doubt or train to this point, and then all of a sudden, training camp starts and they're they're both like, yeah, we're not practicing. It is kind of amusing because we do this for a job that can also be seen with other descriptors there for us best ball drafters. But hey, let's talk about another situation that just kind of I feel like Ron Burgundy that escalated quickly. We've got Ricky piersall out in San Francisco looking like he's going to be shut down for the season. So number one, is he even draftable at all?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 5: I'm hearing that he's just going undrafted in some FFPC leagues because people think he's done.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: Sure looks like that's happening. But then they go out and they sign Deebo Samuel off the street for a reunion there in San Francisco. What do we think about this entire situation? And are you chasing any of the wide receivers in San Francisco right now with these developments?
Speaker 3: Like, I get it if you want to throw a later around dart throw on these guys. But I'm okay with Mike Evans where he's going. But he is not someone that I have typically drafted a bunch of yet in my best balls and the few redrafts that I've done already. Because while I like Mike Evans, there's tense, like, like I like Terry McLaurin, Lad mcconkee, DJ Moore, a whole lot more, and they go in the same range, so I'm typically ending up with other names there.
Speaker 1: I did see. I know Scott Barrett tweeted this out.
Speaker 3: I forget who he was quoting, but he said, like someone said, whatever happens with Mike Evans at the end of the year, it's gonna be very obvious. Either he's gonna miss a bunch of time due to injury, or he's gonna score like thirteen touchdowns to be the Devonte Adams And either way, yeah, I think that is exactly how it's gonna go. In the King's Classic auction the other day, I threw a one dollar bid on Christian Kirk. I do think Kirk is someone that in a pinch, you could throw in, and I think he's a better real life asset than fantasy asset.
Speaker 1: But while he's out there, I do think Kirk is a little underrated.
Speaker 3: Like the last we saw of him, he was going off for the Texans in the playoffs, So I know everyone really also likes Stribling right now, like he's the big hype this week, And I tweeted jokingly when they signed Deebo, I was like, well, this stripling season was fun while it lasted, and I had a lot of people being like, no, look at who they have. He's going to get playing time. I don't disagree because they're all aging Deebo, Evans, Christian Kirk. They have the power plan if you believe in that stuff and all of that. But my pushback is, I don't think this Debo signing is nothing. Man, if Deebo signed with another team, maybe you could then say it's nothing. But this isn't another team. This is the team where Deebo Samuel made his name and got paid and put up monstrous numbers. And the thing that I think, and I don't think it's exclusive to fantasy football. I think, as someone who does a lot of fantasy baseball stuff, I think we make a big mistake two mistakes. One, I think we think we know how a situation is going to play out better than we do. But two, I think we think that like the way that we view it is the way coaches view it. I guarantee you Kyle Shanahan is not sitting here thinking, well, Deebo Samuels is old and is heading towards that age, Cliff, I gotta get the young kid. That's what us fantasy analysts want. But Kyle Shanahan is thinking, I can trust this guy. I've built systems around this guy. He knows where he has to be when he has to be. He knows my system inside and out. So my thinking if healthy, it's a big if. But if that trio of forty nine ers wide receivers are healthy, I think those are the top three wide receivers in week one and so on. I do think Stripling will get an opportunity because I don't think these guys stay healthy all year.
Speaker 1: But to me, and look, he's a later on dart throw. If you want to throw that dart, I have no problem with it.
Speaker 3: But if he keeps getting hyped up, I will eventually be out because Drew. I think this is gonna be one of those situations where if those three are healthy week one, Obviously, if a camp injury happens, that changes everything.
Speaker 1: But if they're healthy, I think.
Speaker 3: The person that drafts Dribbling will not be the one that gets the eventual breakout if it occurs, because if we go two three weeks where he's playing behind those other three wide receivers, the person.
Speaker 1: That drafted him is gonna end up throwing him back on the way wire.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the main problem with these kind of players, and especially with this class. There's not a Justin Jefferson or Jamar Chase in this class. There's a bunch of guys who may earn the time, but don't look like they're going to come out of the blocks with a solid route or snapshare. I don't see many of them at all. So that's a great point. A lot of logic in this conversation here that I love. One of the comments you made about Mike Evans is it's interesting to me where Evans is going because his ADP shows that I should be able to get him at a reasonable spot, and he never seems to be there. So I always wonder like, where's this ADP coming from? Because somebody is always more interested in him than I am, and I feel like where he's being drafted, the risk of his recent injury problems is not being baked in because somebody's excited about him being with Shanahan and all the touchdown possibility. So okay, well, I can talk about the forty nine ers forever There are a lot of parts of this and you hit on most of them there so or if not all of them, And we could dive really deep into that, but I want to continue moving here with some of the big camp talking points, and one of them's Molik neighbors. This is an interesting one because I've been leading the charge on do not draft Melak neighbors. This is a complicated recovery situation. I saw him limping around to that softball game. I'm like, how is this guy going to play NFL football in three months?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: Here we are watching clips of him running routes, sticking that foot in the ground and planting and cutting. Are we feeling better today or is that sort of like one of those things that we just need to kind of turn our brain off and ignore because we know timelines and timelines are rarely wrong when it comes to these type of recoveries. What do you think about neighbors and how are you treating him?
Speaker 3: Ah, this is one that is and I said this back in like January February. Neighbors is going to be the hardest one for me because on one hand, I agree with everything you said, right, and it's something I'm trying to get better at is not assuming the best case scenario.
Speaker 1: When we're talking about hell especially.
Speaker 3: I know there's outliers to every rule, but more often than not, that first year back from a severe injury is not optimal. Right Like the players working in the way back, they might not be ready.
Speaker 1: Week one, you know.
Speaker 3: So I get that line of thinking, and my thinking was be disciplined, Let someone else have neighbors and you get him next year. But drewlik Nighbors.
Speaker 1: You know, we all have our guys.
Speaker 3: Milik Neighbors is like my guy, and I know I'm not the only one who likes Melik Neighbors. But when he was a prospect, I was like, he's better than Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: Like I think he is amazing.
Speaker 3: And then people were fading him a bit because of his quarterback in year one.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, I'm taking him on as many teams as I could get him. Year two.
Speaker 3: I was saying last year, Drew that I think at the end of the year, we're gonna be talking about Neighbors the way we talk about Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 1: I think he is that good. But I was really fearful like you with all of these reports.
Speaker 3: For so long, we're negative, right, and he had to have a second procedure and all this stuff. But now the fact that he avoided the pup, he's out there. It looks plausible he could be there for Week one. I've already bumped him a good bit. Now he's more in the teens. I had him outside the top twenty wide receivers initially.
Speaker 1: Now he's in the teens.
Speaker 3: And I won't lie if he looks good in preseason, I'm going to continue to bump him up and up and up. Partly because I'm a sucker from the league neighbors, but also partly because I am a big believer and this kind of goes against a little bit what I was saying with you know, the coming back from injury might not be the same right away. I'm a big believer that earlier in the year, you're just trying to stay in contention and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Right Like, like, obviously you always want to win. You don't want to be two and two, you'd rather be four.
Speaker 3: No, I get that, But I want my team playing its best at the end of the year, not at the beginning. The games at the end of the year is simply matter more. You could lose any regular season game and you're fine. You lose a playoffs and your season is over. So you want your lineup at its absolute best weeks fifteen, sixteen, and seventeen in my thinking. So because of that, I could be in very much see myself in on Neighbors and where he's going right now, Drew, I am going to be trying to get a lot more because, like I said, I wasn't super in on him early this summer, but I've already seen people say they think he's going to be going in the early second round come Labor Day, and if that is the case, it becomes a.
Speaker 1: Lot harder to hit drafts. So what I'm trying to do in my early draft is get him so that.
Speaker 3: I don't have to pay full price in my drafts that are like Labor Day weekend stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't imagine walking into a home league and not seeing him go for in the second round. If this continues now, who knows. We still haven't even heard today if we've got swelling, or if he's taking the day off or he's doing it every other day. Thing there's still a lot of information that we can gather, and look, the time is on our side right now, because we do, like you said a little bit ago, have five weeks to figure this out, and we're going to know a lot more about him coming up. But I think it's a really interesting conversation and I'm open to being wrong on this whole thing. But man, oh man, these kind of injuries, boy, they rarely end well. But you know, with elite guys, sometimes they do elite things.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's move on to the Cardinals situation. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Adrian Peterson pops into my head every time I think about this because I faded him fully that year. I was drafting Toby Gearhart like a chump. And yeah, here we are.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard the name Toby Gerhart in a while.
Speaker 2: Who has right him? And orlandis Gary hanging out?
Speaker 5: Okay, I got problems, man, All right, So let's talk about the Cardinals wide receivers. We continue to see that the Marvin Harrison thing. It's a litmus test really for how you feel about fantasy football and how you do these kind of things, because you can see a lot of footage of him dropping passes. But then you can also see a lot of footage of him, you know, going deep and get the getting the touchdown against air or whatever. But I tell you what, I just got to be completely honest. I can't draft either one of them.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 5: But if you put Michael Wilson on the screen and then you put Marvin Harrison on the screen, Michael Wilson just looks better.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I don't know, like that's a super unscientific thing. He just looks better to me. Like it's just to me, it's kind of wild like that I'm having this weird realization as I'm watching these videos. But man, man, So anyway, let's put that aside. What do you think about this situation? Is Harrison's situation as bad as people are making it out to be.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've heard a lot of speculation that he doesn't want to be there anymore and he's trying to He's pulling at James Arden something like that, and uh, I could see that potentially.
Speaker 1: I'm not react.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, overreact. I'm not reacting to the camp. Okay, he dropped the ball in camp. I don't care, you know, Like what I care about is what Michael Wilson said earlier this week, to me, mattered more than anything that I've seen at camp where he was talking about how last year. Because I tweeted out the this back in May, I bumped it on my account this week if you want.
Speaker 1: To go check it out.
Speaker 3: But even after his huge breakout games, when Marvin Harrison played, Michael Wilson reverted back. Maybe he was still better than what he was prior to the breakout, but he was not a must arte guy when Marv was out there. The thing that he said though, was in Drew Petsing's offense, he would play the Z and he'd play X when Marv was out and the offense ran through the X and that's why.
Speaker 1: He got all that volume when he was out there.
Speaker 3: So I originally was like, I think Marvin, so I think both of them are kind of going at a discount right now from what their upside is. Like, I think Marv getting him outside the top thirty cheapest than he's ever been. I'm not gonna have a ton of him. I don't want to say like I'm enamored with him. He's one of my guys, but at that cost, I'll throw a dart or two, you know, And with Michael Wilson, I'm gonna pat myself on the back here.
Speaker 1: I did tweet this out this week.
Speaker 3: I went back to my pre draft right up for him, and I was like, this is my favorite guy to come out of nowhere in this class because he's uber talented. Injuries or why he's going to fall in the draft and injuries or why he's being not really looked at as a top name. So I've always believed in the talent of Michael Wilson, But the biggest thing giving me pause with the Cardinals, it's why and look, I've Trey McBride has been my Titan one in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I'm fading Trey McBride this year. I don't want to go.
Speaker 3: I see the upside with Michael Wilson outside the top forty wide receivers, But my biggest concern is at what point are they gonna sit Jacoby Brissett and turn to Carson Beck Because if and when that happens, these guys are going to take a hit.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I understand the thinking they're underdogs, and I think they're big underdogs in their first fourteen or fifteen games this year, they're gonna have to throw a bunch. I get that the early season appeal is there for me, but at some point in time I think the Cardinals are gonna look at it and say, especially with the end of season schedule being a little bit softer, playing Jacoby Brissett goes against our long term interest. And we could say teams don't think that way. Teams think that way. We see it all the time. It's my fear with the Jets as well. It's why I want no part of Garrett Wilson this year. If that happens in the second half of the season, that could really drive down the value. And now, whatever happens in the fantasy playoffs, I'm not gonna want to start one of it.
Speaker 1: And I know it's crazy to plan fifteen weeks ahead.
Speaker 3: I always say schedule analysis is dumb like that, but this isn't schedule analysis. This is at some point in time, I think a third round quarterback who I watched and did not really like as a prospect is going to take over. And if that is the case, it's going to leave you with a lot of big question marks. In the second half of the season. Went again, to me, the games matter more than so that, more than anything else, is what gives me a.
Speaker 1: Lot of hesitation with drafting the Cardinals players this year.
Speaker 5: Boy, I saw a ridiculous tweet the other day, and I don't know if you saw it or somebody said, Carson Beck has really been missing as receivers and missing them by a lot, like by like five yards, and there's concern about how inaccurate he is. And I retweeted it and I said, so he's Carson Beck.
Speaker 2: I mean, like we knew this, right.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's incredible that these guys get drafted and all of a sudden we have amnesia about what they were for what Beck was in college for nine and a half years, Like we get we get amnesia all of a sudden about the fact that he sucked in college. He was, you know, my Hoosiers in the in the championship game. If they were facing a real quarterback, they might have lost that game. And Beck driving down the field even though I know he's Carson Beck, I was terrified. And then he threw a Carson Beck interception to end the game. So what the heck are we doing here? Glazing these guys like they're going to suddenly step into the NFL and get better. So the concern there is legitimate. Cardinals are poorly run organization, and they are going to tell themselves we can get a better draft pick, and we can see what we've got and know if we got to move off. This guy makes complete sense and it definitely worries me. Worries me for Trede McBride too, So okay, let's move on to Atlanta. Atlanta is a situation that I'm not sure enough of us are scared enough about because they've got some really important pieces here with b John Robinson and Drake London. And I made this point last summer and it didn't turn out to be correct, but I'm making it again right now, and that is that in order to support these high level fantasy assets, we've got to see decent quarterback play. And we got good enough quarterback play in Atlanta last year, and maybe that's how we can characterize it again this year. But neither quarterback is healthy to start training camp. That's a little concerning, especially for two guys that have checkered injury pasts. Now we've got a QB three running training camp.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: Do we need to be a little bit more concerned about this offense long term or do you think this resolves with Tua in his back and we're going to be okay.
Speaker 3: No, I'm very concerned for two reasons. One, London was much better with Michael Penick Junior last year. It was the exact opposite for Kyle Pitts.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Up to two, I'm more fearful of Drake London. So yeah, I fully accept the line of thinking that I think Drake.
Speaker 3: London Drew London is one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. I believe in the talent all of that, and I get it. He averaged over twenty Fantasy points per game with Michael Pennix.
Speaker 1: As the starter last year. My concern is one, is Panic's going to be healthy to start the year. We don't know. Two. I watched Tua.
Speaker 3: Down the stretch last year, and that was not a starting NFL caliber quarterback. And I think the fact that he might start over Michael Penick Junior says a whole lot more about Michael Pennix than I think it does about Tua, and I have concerns with Pitts as well, because Pitts averaged nineteen Fantasy points per game. When Drake London was out he averaged I think it was over sixteen per game. With Kirk Cousins, he was not good for the first twelve weeks of the season. He was a tight end fifteen and then he caught fire, or maybe it wasn't week twelve, but it was close to that.
Speaker 1: But I get it.
Speaker 3: At least with Pitts, you have two things on your side, or three things. I would say one, he's much cheaper. Two, the floor for success at tight end is much lower than it is at wide receiver. And the big one is Kevin Stefanski loves including the tight end. So I as much as like I have Drake London ranked eighth amongst my wide receivers, but I don't anticipate myself taking him all that much because if I miss out on usually like AJ Brown is there, but if AJ Brown is gone, I'll probably take one of the running backs instead.
Speaker 5: It's it's hard for me because I keep coming back to the fact that Drake London feels like he shouldn't be this cheap, and then I think everyone's having the same conversation in their head that there's a reason he's this cheap, and and I think that we need to be a little bit more concerned about Atlanta than we currently are. I'm kind of surprised nobody's sounding the alarm bells there on Twitter. Just haven't seen a lot of conversation about it. But we shall see, because we do, like we have said several times, we do have a lot of time and maybe to his back condition calms down and he's okay, But I'm not sure that's the thing that we need to be hanging our hat on either. Let's hope tous healthy. Yeah, really, So okay, let's move on to the situation in Dallas, and I'm going to talk about their running backs because we're getting a lot of Jaden Blue steam here. And last year, a large part of why Javonte Williams such an enticing fantasy piece was his work near the goal line, and he got plenty of receiving work early on. Now that the receiving work wasn't as sustained at the end of the season that we wanted to see, so that makes me a little bit concerned. But the Jaden Blue stuff, it's interesting to me because I felt like he really couldn't get out of his own way last year, and there's rumors that he's studying harder, that he's got the system down, that he's in a better spot this year. Can we believe the hype and if we can, do we even ding Javonte Williams because they didn't really have a backup that could do anything last year. But maybe that does matter for Javonte Williams. Maybe it eats away enough that maybe he is being properly priced or maybe a little overpriced. I don't know what to think right now. I want to see this develop. What's your initial impression of the Blue hype.
Speaker 3: I had I drafted Blue in our King Classic auction this week.
Speaker 1: I had Blue on that team last year.
Speaker 3: I had Blue on a lot of teams last year because I do believe in his talent.
Speaker 1: I think he is a good passing passing down option.
Speaker 3: I think he has explosiveness for days and when you're he's never going to completely.
Speaker 1: Steal the job away from Javonte Williams.
Speaker 3: So the way that an RB two could have standalone value is if they get passing work and if they have big plays in their profile and that is why I am enamored with Jayden Blue. The other thing is Javonte I not the biggest Javonte guy.
Speaker 1: I understand, like last year he started.
Speaker 3: Off like a house of cards down the stretch, though he became a lot more closer to the old Javonte Williams than the league winner that we thought he might be early on. But I get it right, if you're gonna get that much volume on a high scoring offense like Dallas, you're you're going to be a top twenty.
Speaker 1: Back stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I don't think Blue dings him enough to where he's not worth going there. But to me, the biggest concern I have is what if the second half the first four years, in the second half of last season is the real Javante, right, not the first half of what we got last year. And if Blue eats into that work, Like, if he plays how he did the first half of.
Speaker 1: Last year, Blue will not matter for Javonte.
Speaker 3: But if he plays like he did the second half and Blue eats into that, You're gonna feel it. So you could call me crazy like I have, like someone like base tall two and ahead of Javonte Williams in my rankings.
Speaker 1: I just think the up side is higher.
Speaker 3: But I understand I'm in the minority there, so Javonte I'm just not the biggest Javonte Williams guy, so I a lot of the times where he's going, I'm taking a wide receiver in that range.
Speaker 5: I don't disagree there as much as I want to be in on Javonte Williams at the current price because I feel like it it should be a slam dunk. But other people have to be feeling the way that I'm feeling, which is that it's not a slam dunk. That it's just it makes me a little uneasy because of the way he finished last year. We both alluded to that. I'm just a little bit concerned, and it's kept me from really going hard at him in auctions, even though the price hasn't been that bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, he went for twenty one.
Speaker 5: Dollars on Saturday in The King's Classic. I think in that league where you need somebody flexes, it's a little criminal that he went that cheap because he's going to get three hundred touches. But other people are feeling what we're feeling, and I don't think that's something that we should ignore when we've been doing this as long as we have. Sometimes you're guy's telling you something. Okay, let's move on to Minnesota, where I know we're doing this a little more rapid fire than I normally do on my shows, but I kind of like it. So we're going to do a few more of these situations and then we're going to hear some targets and fades from Michael before we let him go. But let's talk about Minnesota because I heard some rumors this past weekend in Canton that there are people in the building in Minnesota that are concerned about Kyler Murray, that he's not picking up the offense as quick as they want him to, that he's not doing what they thought he was going to do when they brought him in. And Hey, as one of the biggest haters of Kyler Murray out there, I have to say, Hey, I could have told you that was going to happen. But I do have faith in Kevin O'Connell, and I thought that he would do something when he brought Murray in. So maybe it's just too early and he needs more time. But I'm a little bit concerned that we're hearing these reports now, and I guess I wouldn't call that a report. I heard a rumor this weekend, But we also heard a report from I believe Thor yesterday, who is very plugged with Minnesota, that he's watched two days of practice and JJ McCarthy has been better than Kyler Murray both days of practice. Now, that doesn't mean he's gonna win the job, but it means I'm that worries me man. I mean, I do know about you, but should we be backing off of Justin Jefferson a little bit and Jordan Addison's even going as a as an important wide receiver two piece? Are we not worried enough about this quarterback situation in Minnesota?
Speaker 1: I'm not as worried.
Speaker 3: Look, I get it.
Speaker 1: If you want to just completely fade the situation.
Speaker 3: If you say I don't want any part of it, I'm still drafting Kyler Murray one. Kyler has been a top twelve Fantasy points per game quarterback every year except for last year. Like, I think you're already getting him at his floor when you're giving him KOC and the weapons he has, not just Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison Juwan Jennings is there three. I think there's an argument that this might be the best one through three wide receiving room in the league.
Speaker 1: And if it's not, it's not far off.
Speaker 3: I'm not super bullish on Jordan Addison because I do as much as I think he's a really good wide receiver, I think Juwan Jennings is gonna have a role.
Speaker 1: I think TJ. Hockinson doesn't fully go away. They'll throw to the running backs.
Speaker 3: But the one player that you know is going to get a thirty percent target chair is Justin Jefferson, and I'm fully in. I think Justin Jefferson is the most obvious touchdown regression candidate ever. It was him and Wandell Robinson who had one hundred and forty more targets and less than two touchdowns last year. Like he to me, just screams obvious regression candidate. And I have a friend who doesn't work in this space but is a huge Vikings fan, and I was talking with him a lot over the summer and he was like, I think Justin Jefferson was checked out towards the end of the year, Like there was a lot of plays that you're used to seeing Jefferson make that he just wasn't making and he obviously Jefferson didn't lose that ability overnight. The other reason, and I'll take this the other direction, Drew, I think making this a competition is kind of dumb in my opinion, because you want a guy like Kyler Murray to have as many reps as possible, because I don't. I would be shocked if J. J. McCarthy is the Week one starter pending an injury, because I know, when when we get to this time of year, we're so far removed from last season. Right, we're eight months removed from the last time we've seen the Vikings play football. Let's not forget that both Koc and Justin Jefferson threw JJ McCarthy under the bustle and then put it in reverse and ran it back over him.
Speaker 1: They were like he would like.
Speaker 3: Koc was like, I'm looking forward to not having the quarterback position be a negative for us. That's like the guy is still on his roster and he said that, So, yeah, I think it's gonna be Kyler and on Justin Jefferson. But I will say this, I have JJ as my wide receiver five when I have pause taking him. It's not because I don't want to take Justin Jefferson. It's because I'm like, well, Ashton Jentz's still there, or like James Cook is still there, So that gives me a little bit more pause than fading J. Like I'm in on JJ, but I just sometimes like I'm fully in on Ashon Gents this year, Like I it's hard for me to pass up him to take JJ because I'm like, I could get AJ Brown in round two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love the comment you made about the touchdowns too. You know, we have a very short memory when it comes to that stuff, and he wasn't that bad if he scores a couple more touchdowns, and maybe Kyler Murray's the answer to that. But if you pile on top of that the fact that the discount we're getting maybe the best discount we're going to see on Justin Jefferson over his fantasy career for quite a few more years, if this Murray thing works out, or if they fix the quarterback position, this is quite the price we're getting. He went for forty three or forty four on Saturday in The King's Classic. That feels cheap considering there's about six seven guys that went ahead of him.
Speaker 3: So did I throw a couple of stats at you that I just I was trying to remember them as I was talking.
Speaker 1: I got I found him now on my doc.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Second fewest fantasy points per target amongst all wide receivers last year, lowest end zone catch rate in all of football last year, fifth.
Speaker 1: Lowest catchable target rate.
Speaker 3: And JJ McCarthy and Justin Jefferson had the lowest passer rating of any quarterback wide receiver duo in the NFL. I'm sorry, Even if Kyler is what the haters think he.
Speaker 1: Is, it's not going to be as bad as it was with JJ.
Speaker 3: So I yeah, you're not paying Justin Jefferson a first round price for him to be a little bit better than he was last year.
Speaker 1: But I'm just choosing to.
Speaker 3: Believe in the talent because talent wise, there's an argument that he is I think it's chased, but there's an argument that he's the best wide receiver in football.
Speaker 5: And I think people you know, misunderstand too. A lot of times. If you add four touchdowns in two hundred yards, all of a sudden, it catapults him into a different zone and things can look different very quickly. So yeah, it's It's something I've been fined myself on all off season. I've always assumed Murray's going to win the job. But this this stuff I've been hearing lately, boy, oh boy, it makes me concerned. But okay, we got two more situations I want to hit. Let me take these in reverse order from the show sheet, because I want to give you some time to talk about Buffalo if you want to. Let's first hit the Philadelphia Eagles, and we're hearing the right things that we want to hear about them fixing the offense in Philadelphia because the Patullo experiment was brutal. We know that AJ Brown was checked out, and this offense in general just looked like a two thousand and five offense or a nineteen ninety five offense.
Speaker 2: It just was awful. And now everyone's.
Speaker 5: Saying that what did I hear yesterday? Jordanilot I called him an evil genius? Called Sean Mannon an evil genius, which is an interesting quote, and I that kind of stuff like bounces off me. After a while, I understand that that's hype and the kind of things that we hear in training camp but it's been more than here in the opposite or hearing nothing. I mean, these guys are obviously excited about the changes. So are the Eagles due for a resurgence? I mean, are these quotes telling us that maybe the offense is a little undervalued for fantasy football or are we seeing some aging pieces in the decline of the Philly offense.
Speaker 3: I I'm very in on Devonti's Smith. I took him in our King's Classic I had. I did another mock this week where I took him as my wife. I got him as my wide receiver too.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: I guess he would be my two in the king Classic, even though I bought him before a lave. I just think Smith is a really talented wide receiver. I think the offense now is going to run through him and all of that. The thing about the Eagles is it's a pendulum, right. They're so good every year except for last year, that they're oc changes pretty much yearly, and we've seen it swing back and last year was obviously the lowest of the low Oh and I do have a little bit of concerns, like Jalen Hurd is still in my top six quarterbacks, but he's six, because is he gonna get back to like I know, he's gonna run at least touchdown wise, is he gonna put up the passing numbers that made him that when he had the QB once.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gotta see that first with all the different changes around and stuff.
Speaker 1: So I've dinged him a little bit. But I still have Saquon in my tier two, in my top ten running backs, but he's not like where he was up last year or the year before that. So I guess you could say I'm dinging them.
Speaker 3: A bit, but they're still very close to the elites at their position.
Speaker 5: I think so too. And I Davonte Smith boil boy I before I started this summer, and I was looking at if aj Brown ends up in New England and Davante Smith is freed. I blatched onto both of them immediately as guys that I really wanted to have a lot of. I don't know if that's gonna be accurate or not, but I've been dry a lot of both of those guys because of that one singular trade. So all right, let's talk about Buffalo. This is your team. I know you have a show. By the way, plug that show for me real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, actually it's gonna be changed. I haven't updated my Twitter bio. It's gonna be changing homes this year. Myself and Stevie Johnson are starting our own channel now, Legend and Guru on YouTube. Our show is now going to be called Microphone Mafia, and Donald Jones, another former Bills wide receiver, is joining the show as well.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be even bigger and better than last year.
Speaker 3: And we kind of have full say on everything going on, so please go like and subscribe and do all that stuff to the channel. It's called Legend and Guru. But yeah, starting next week actually, so the sixth I think it is in August, we're gonna start going live every Thursday talking Buffalo Bills football. So if you're a Bills fan, or you want fantasy insight, you like Stevee, you just want to hear locker room talk from how it was when those guys are playing, I think you'll enjoy the show.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, everybody check that out, and let's talk about the Bills now. Because I ended up with the weirdest occurrence that I could possibly imagine in the King's Classic, I don't dislike it, but you could have asked me what was going to happen in the snake and this would have been like my four hundredth guests. But I ended up getting DJ Moore as my wide receiver one in the fourth round because I went three straight running backs. The value was just staring me in the face at running back. So I went DJ Moore as my wide receiver one, which I don't feel comfortable with at all. But then I turned around the fifth round and Josh Allen staring at me, and I'm like, come on.
Speaker 2: Guys, like, what are we doing here? Where you're leaving me?
Speaker 5: Josh Allen in the fifth round, like come on, you were on the air. And as soon as I I'm serious, And as soon as I took Josh Allen, the room kind of chuckled because we heard you explode.
Speaker 2: Oh here we go, Drews.
Speaker 5: You know, So what do you think about this situation? This combination of Alan and Moore and a lot of people hate Moore. Boy, it is really hard to give a pro DJ Moore take on Twitter and not get ripped to shreds. I know you're a DJ Moore fan, What do you think about this? Combination of these two getting put together for the season.
Speaker 3: I will be John snow standing there with the sword watching the cavalry come at me when it comes to DJ Moore, and I know there's more fans than just me, But talking about the show I do with Stevie Johnson. A huge talking point last year before the trade deadline and then obviously after and into the offseason was like who should the Bills go after? And there was the pie and this guy names like AJ Brown and Justin Jefferson when we thought he was unhappy and stuff like that. But the one that I kept saying over and over again was DJ Moore. And I know people could say, oh, he was gonna get caught, the Bills shouldn't have sent the second all of that, I don't care about that when we come when it comes to fantasy. I also, to be honest with you, Drew, don't care about it when it comes to real life because you have Josh Allen in his prime. If you got to overpay little bit to try to get you over that home to get a Super Bowl, it is worth it.
Speaker 1: No one's gonna care about five years from now if you win a suit.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm a Knicks fan and my office is now filled with Knick stuff.
Speaker 1: They could go to eighty two this year. I do not care. It's just about winning, right, And I.
Speaker 3: Think DJ Moore is going to help them, and I think he is going to be a fantastic fit with Josh Allen for a couple of reasons. For one, something I kept saying a lot last year was I don't think Dj Moore I was wrong coming.
Speaker 1: Into the year because they remember coming into the year, they were like, they're struggling to figure out how to use DJ Moore.
Speaker 3: And I was like, if a mine as good as Ben Johnson can't figure out how to use DJ Moore, I'm concerned. But he wasn't a good fit because Ben Johnson's system is one that relies on like you being.
Speaker 1: Where you have to be when you were supposed to be there.
Speaker 3: So I knows DJ Moore's strong suit. He's more of an improviser. You know who's a big improviser, Josh Allen. Like I think when Josh does his scrambling and he's by time in the pocket with his legs, his first, second, and third thought is probably going to be where is DJ. But on top of that, let's look into it a little bit further, right, Coleson Lovelin was the Bears leading overall receiver in the playoffs. But you know who had more yards than Roma Dunsa and Luther Burden.
Speaker 1: Dj Moore.
Speaker 3: So when the games mattered the most, he also had more targets in the playoffs than he had in any game in the regular season. So when the games mattered the most, they still trusted DJ Moore. On top of that, I went and I looked at DJ Moore's production from last year.
Speaker 1: Well, for one, he so he did.
Speaker 3: He struggled when they threw the ball in under two point five seconds, which is a lot what I was talking about, right, the quick on schedule stuff. He struggled there. But when they held the ball for two point five or more seconds, he was the leading receiver on the Chicago Bears. Josh Allen his lowest point of ever throwing the ball. An average time to throw is two point nine seconds.
Speaker 1: Josh likes to hold the ball.
Speaker 3: Josh is going to give DJ more time to get open. And on top of that, let's look at the situation, right, Dj Moore.
Speaker 1: Two seasons with Joe.
Speaker 3: Brady, he had one hundred and eighteen targets and one hundred and sixty three targets he went for over eleven hundred yards of both of them with very poor quarterback play in Carolina last year, he rated better out wide and downfield than anyone the Bills had.
Speaker 1: He rated very well from the slot as well.
Speaker 3: He struggled from the backfield, which, okay, who cares about that? But I just think styles where I think we make a big error in this Drew is taking past results and spinning them.
Speaker 1: Toward forward, right, Like I've seen a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Say stuff like, well, he hasn't been a top twenty five wide receiver in points per game in this many years. Okay, he's got a better quarterback than he had. Caleb Williams is bottom four and accurate throws in catchuble passes each of.
Speaker 5: The last Williams he had a horrible year throwing the football despite the help from Ben Johnson and his receivers.
Speaker 3: The highs are so high with Cayleb Williams that I think people overlook that the lows are very very.
Speaker 1: Low and that he misses. He's that NBA player that will miss a layup. He's Josh Hart.
Speaker 3: He'll miss a layup, but at the buzzer he'll hit that three with a hen in his face.
Speaker 1: You know that is Caleb Williams as of now.
Speaker 3: But I think the situation there's less target competition, there's a quarterback that he fits better with, there's an OC that he's.
Speaker 1: A play caller I should say not.
Speaker 3: And now a head coach though that hand picked this guy that worked with him and said I want this guy here. So to me, all of the situation is just air for a big, resurgent year from DJ Moore.
Speaker 1: I have him.
Speaker 3: I think it's my wide receiver sixteen, but his ADP is wide receiver twenty seven, So I could get another wide receiver or running back where I have him ranked, and then a round later still get DJ Moore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you're familiar with football guy Jason Wood, but he does a lot of our projections over at Football Guys, and one of the things he's been pounding on base camp privately is just that he doesn't see how he gets below one hundred and twenty targets. And that's how I see it too. He's got to get at least one hundred and twenty and it may go beyond that. So I've always said, when you have a player like AJ Brown or DJ Bohrer and they get in the best situation they've ever had in their career for a quarterback, you just got to take a chance on him. And even if you end up being wrong, I don't want to have no DJ Moore or no AJ Brown or no DeVante Smith when they get the best situation they've ever had.
Speaker 3: To add to it, I've seen a lot of people be like, well, the Bills are run heavy offense, they don't like to throw out wide a lot. One I think that was situational. Let's look at who their outside wide receivers were the last two years. But two, I always say this, I don't have sources in one Bill's drive, but I talk to a lot of people who do.
Speaker 1: And the thing that I heard, like when I was out in.
Speaker 3: Buffalo in April, numerous people or at Super Bowl, like I had this conversation numerous times where yeah, the mc dermott had a lot more say on the op like he would meet with Brady each week.
Speaker 1: Is what I was told.
Speaker 3: And would I want the offense to game plan this week to look like this? I wanted to look like this. I wanted to look like this and h it.
Speaker 1: Joe Brady has Look, we're gonna know very early if.
Speaker 3: He was a liar or not, but Joe Bray everything Joe Brady has said since he's become the head coach, We're gonna be more aggressive. We're gonna take more shots downfield. I want to move guys around more. It's all different than what we've seen the last two years.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 5: Love hearing that because my King's Classic season is riding on it. But I was excited to hear your excitement on the on the air waves when I pulled that move, because I certainly am not a snake draft guy. You know, my snakes are never that great. Although last year I had my chance to do it and my team fell apart. Anyway, nobody cares. Thank you so much for the breakdown on all of these training camp spots. I want to leave everyone with a couple of guys that you like personally that you're drafting a lot of or that are your guys. And then I also want to hear the other side of the coin, who are a couple of guys that you're fading right now? And you can just say hey, I'm straight up fading these guys period, or by adp your call on either side. There, give me a couple guys you like right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, DJ Moore was gonna be a big one, but we just spoke about him.
Speaker 1: Base Jall. Tuton is my guy this year. Just trust the Liam Cohen system.
Speaker 3: Last year etn Or Ashan basically was left for dead and then finished as the top thirteen running back. The year before that, Bucky Irving was a league winner. The year before that, Karen Williams was a league winner. I just trust the system and I trust the talent in two in there. So that is my guy. But I really like Trevon Henderson, still Omari and Hampton ash If you were drafted last year as a running back in on you, I'm gonna throw a few. I like Isaiah likely a lot, Malik Willis as a later round pick. Jackson Dart is my guy at quarterback. I like McLaurin a good amount. As for fades, it always comes down to costs, right, And a lot of the guys that I was planning on fading are becoming more popular fades.
Speaker 1: But like, I'm not in on CMC this year. I'm not in that much on h N.
Speaker 3: Although he's starting devond that is, he's starting to get to a point where it's like, Okay, maybe it is worth taking a shot on him.
Speaker 1: I don't want Breze Hall. I don't want Garrett Wilson. What is the theme here?
Speaker 3: I don't want to be tied to bad offenses that could make a quarterback change late in the year.
Speaker 5: Boy, I hear that, and I ended up with Breese Hall in the third round because I just thought it was too late for him to be still sitting there. But gosh, I don't feel good about it. I do not want to be in on the Jets this year. Man, oh man, take that lesson to heart everybody. Sometimes you just have to make it simple. Go for good offenses, good quarterbacks, good play callers. Thank you again for coming on man. You know, enjoyed seeing you this past weekend and always enjoy talking ball with you. Really informative episode here for everybody. Just people where they can find you and where your work is.
Speaker 3: Yeah at Michael Lefflorio on Twitter or x whatever you call it, Instagram. You could catch me over at NFL Network doing Insiders. Fantasy Live is coming back in a couple of weeks, and then a lot over at Rotaballer and Serious XM as well. I'm doing Saturday shows there right now, but always you know, jumping on for drafts and stuff like that, so lots of different places you could catch me talking this fake game that we love so much.
Speaker 5: We do love it and we love hearing you talk about it. So thank you again to Michael af Florio for being here on Discussions with Drew. It's been another fun episode and I hope you got a lot out of it. Training camps are rolling, things are moving fast. Stay right here at the Auction Brief to keep up with all of it as we go throughout the rest of the off season. Thanks again to Michael Florio. And that's going to do it for another week of discussions with Drue. All right, that's going to wrap up another week of discussions with Drew as we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday morning for my solo time and the Auction Brief. Mike, Thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 4: The Auction Brief is adjourn that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief