Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too nothing With John Taylor, I was just gonna say underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall. Now are you gonna go on the coach at eight o'clock tonight? Sits down and let's put it in.
Speaker 2: Here's Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock in downtown Vaccouver. We're the Paul Karstrom Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek Won. How are you it's Sonny out? Oh be happy? Oh it's Sonny. It's a beautiful Lestna Tad cold.
Speaker 4: But hey look the sun was out. That's all the matter is. The sun is out.
Speaker 1: Tad Cole says mister fort Saint John, the tad Cole lest Before we get into a lot of hockey. We want to mention the BC Lions. They play tonight in Abington, their second and final CFL preseason game after their Victoria Day loss to Calgary over on the Island. Their regular season opener Saturday, June seventh against the same Adbonton Elks. That's the concert kickoff with your buddy Snoop Dogg. Oh and just enough meat. Just got this update twenty seconds ago. Over fifty thousand tickets sold for concert Kickoff with Snoop Dogg. They hit and passed right there. Look at that fifty thousand. That's not me.
Speaker 4: I'm not one of the fifty thousand. I'll be at the game a kickoff, but I'll tell you fifty thousand.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you're still part of the fifty thousand. No I'm not because I got free tickets. Well no, you're still I didn't pay for him.
Speaker 4: But anyways, I'm going to be showing up at game time and I'm not watching Snoop dog.
Speaker 1: But fifty thousand people apparent is that if we somehow got Snoop Dogg on this show, you would be kissing up to him so badly.
Speaker 4: Well, same as that Ryan and Rod Brindamore. If Rod Brindemore came out, you.
Speaker 1: Go, oh yeah, Ron, how you doing?
Speaker 4: But anyways, look at this. I was not happy when Snoop Dogg was named.
Speaker 1: And look at this. Look at the way the city of it is always popular.
Speaker 4: It is always popular. And people know his music. I'm not one of them, but people know his music. And can we talk about this? Well, I'm going to talk about it now.
Speaker 1: We've got Amar Doman on the show Monday, Ryan, we do Okay, Lions owner of mar Doman on the show. He's a Snoop Dogg fan. Okay. Abbotsford Canucks last night, we often don't talk all that positively about the well you don't about the Vancouver Canucks a franchise, but the Abbosford Canucks are part of that franchise. Game one of the American Hockey League they called a Cup Western. Finally yesterday went to overtime, packed house three to two. Christian millanin with the overtime winner for the hometown Abbotsford Canucks. Rick.
Speaker 4: Look at this and this is ot just the shot from the point always a good thing, especially in overtime. Shoot the pot, get it on net, and look at the goaltender. He was ticked off. He shouldn't. He didn't think he should have let it get past him. And Will Lannon a veteran guy, Donnie, and you've mentioned him.
Speaker 1: In the past.
Speaker 4: Why he never gets a shot with the Canucksy he does good stuff down there and he gets the ot winner.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned the goaltender. He's one of the stars of the game. Yeah, he was a Texas goaltender. Remy Purier forty three saves. Absford outshot them in a game that went to overtime, forty six thirty eight, So he was outstanding. Quite quite the night for Dallas Stars. Organizational goaltending, he was great, Jacon, You're not souch he gets pulled in Dallas against the avonton Oiters. Is the Oilers advance this? Lina's Carlson Rick. He was never not for one moment in the time he was called up, especially at the end of the regular season for the Vancouver Canucks. He never looked out of place at the NHL level. And he is now after a couple of sists last night, leading Absford in playoff in playoff points?
Speaker 4: Can he take the next step?
Speaker 1: Don't?
Speaker 4: The next step is being a regular in the NHL. Not getting sent back. You don't want to get sent back. You want to be prepared and ready to be an NHL player every single day.
Speaker 1: Is he ready for that? To assist four shots for Linas last night plus two, he's a center, You would have to think at the very least realistically bottom six a Ford center next year with the Vancouver Canucks. I would think anyway, well, that's what training caps for.
Speaker 4: We sit here and remember last year se Lob's always gonna he's ready for the NHL.
Speaker 1: Didn't happen. Yeah, that was the Jonathan Dolan trade. I believe that's how they got Lead.
Speaker 4: That's how they got Linas. Carlson was through the Dell and trade.
Speaker 1: Yep. From San Jose Game two Saturday, and Ryan, you had an update ticket wise when it comes to the Absford Canucks and the Texas Stars Saturday, you got to get a move on if you want to see that game live.
Speaker 5: Yeah, courtesy are good pal, Ben Lipkob, the Abbotsford News Ticketmaster is showing five five what available tickets right now for Saturday's Game two between Abbotsford and the Texas Stars. He also says tickets are so hot someone bought up a row and are selling them for two hundred and seventy eight dollars each stub up right now?
Speaker 1: I don't know so well. Now it's interesting because the rules they live in now. The name of the reseller is f Aquallini, so I don't know who that is that's trying to make a buck. But I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I could just see last night they were fourteen hundreds off roughly of a sellout in Abby, but you wouldn't have known it by the crowd shots.
Speaker 1: And now it looks like Saturday and it's gonna be selloed in that. I say, this is the world we live in right now. So as an older person, you know what's better this or old schools? Got helpers out front? You know, two tickets here, two tickets, two tickets. Oh I miss that, I miss that. They go on. Either way, you're kind of getting ripped off. I missed the program.
Speaker 5: Well, the only thing is is you could have held out with those people outside right Oh, game starts then they have to drop their price. You kind of lose that now with the stub hugs and really good that ticketmaster reseller etca.
Speaker 4: Things on your cell phone. It's ridiculous. But this guy's selling them and making a buck.
Speaker 1: I don't like this. You know what, Uh, sixty bucks to the scalping, Wasn't that The actual in person scalping wasn't much better? Pretty scrupulous in a way. Yeah, it's funny like I. You know, as somebody who was reporting on the conducts on a regular basis, you get to know those guys. They're there all the time.
Speaker 5: You should have tried to resell your media pass right now and then you could have made some good money.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I would have had it for much longer. True, that's a good point. That's one day I could have made fifty bucks or who knows. But again, Saturday night Game two, you wanted to talk about a defenseman.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Victor Mancini. Ryan played the video. I love this guy. Watch this. This guy's got size, he's got skating right shot d watch him get the puck. Watch this now through two guys then beats the defenseman on the outside didn't score. Imagine if you would have scored, the building would have gone nuts.
Speaker 1: Donnie.
Speaker 4: But that I talked to a pro scout who said that man Seni is very he's been a horse in the playoffs. He said, he is very close to being an NHL regular. I Donnie, can you picture Mancini and Ellis Petterson? The defenseman is the third pair next year. I know one's got to kill penalties. You need a penalty killer in that third pair. But I'll tell you, boy, this guy look at this. You don't see big guys move like this very often, tall, gangly guys with big skates.
Speaker 1: Look at this. Unbelievable. You know what size feeed he is?
Speaker 4: No, but those guys that are six four, two twenty, they're not.
Speaker 1: In a size eight skate down.
Speaker 4: They're usually in a size maybe is h there're ties twelve, thirteen, fourteen. You know that's the key. I think that's the key, the bigger the skate. Didn't one of your kids hash size fourteen in battle? But he's just he's no six to eight. But anyways, listen, this man come from the grandfather. Anyways, listen, uh, Mancini, keep an eye on him. He's gonna be My eyes are on Mancini. That training can and his feet and his feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so again, Game two Saturday, Texas versus the Atmosford Canucks are having all sorts of fun there, and if you want to ticket, get up there, maybe grave on those five available tickets. Meanwhile, we touched on this a little bit earlier Oilers six Stars three. The Edmonton Owners are off to the Stanley Cup Final for a second straight year. For a second straight year, They're going to take on the Florida Panthers. I love the matchup, contrasting styles. There's star star power. There's that I imagine the hate that built up last year and that last year's You forget, last year's Stanley Cup Final went to seven games after the Panthers built up a three nothing lead. There's all sorts of storylines there. But everybody these days, as I go old man again, everybody talks about stats, not just goals, assistant points. You know, the story with the analytics, right, and the analytics and the course and the expected goals. I'm wait, I'm not smart enough to figure any of that stuff. But I do know this hockey comes down more than anything else. And there's talent, obviously, that's a big, big deal. But hockey comes down to moments and what the best players come up with the big moments. Bobby, you are flying through the air all of that. But last night, second period, the crowd in Dallas buzzing. We fell down three nothing early Ottinger got pulled and the crowd stayed with them. They came back to make it three to two, and the crowd was buzzing fourteen minutes and then this happened with Connor McDavid. What a moment it's been old lookout bits. McDavid hants to catch up Big David Stars. The break away.
Speaker 4: Goal for Connor McDavid and the Edmonton lead us back to two.
Speaker 1: And boy, I'll tell you the crowd the building went silent after that and they picked it up, you know, to the Stars credit. They tried to come back again. But that's what it's all about. I mean, you can again talk about all the numbers when it comes to the important games the postseason. Throw the numbers out. It's the players who can come up with big moments. Connects don't. Right now, not many guys other than quinnyus that could come up with something like this.
Speaker 4: You're bengaling and bark Off the other night in Carolina. He did it McDavid. It's his ability to do things with the puck and stick. Kandel when he's at high speed.
Speaker 1: I was, and I've several a million times. I think his hands are as faster, faster than his feet. But I was almost disappointed when this happened. As great as it was to watch, I was almost disappointed because I wanted it to be a close game. It was getting really really good and then he and there was an element of luck here the block shot. But man, that was that was just that was really something special. And they didn't touch pardon me, they touched or did Clarence Campbell but he did last year he didn't touch it. Yeah, and he just he and for people go, well, it doesn't mean anything. Who cares, blah blah blah. Connor McDavid thought about this. They didn't touch it last year and they lost the Stanley Cup Final. They touched it this year. Put at the ever they were parading around with it. We'll we'll see what happens. But he's hoping for a change of luck here.
Speaker 4: I like, I love Minutia, like this absolutely, and we should mention a couple of local guys going to the Stanley Cup Final story stature Donnie pod Colson, Vasilli pod Colson local.
Speaker 1: I thought he was rushing ah.
Speaker 4: He said, local played for the NHL team here in town. Good for him, the Canucks, the Canucks.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 4: You can say what you want about Pud Colson. Some people call him the bust. I don't care. The kids loved everywhere he goes. He's he works his ass off.
Speaker 1: You're saying the Conucs Canucks made a mistake you, so I'm not stop it.
Speaker 4: Don I didn't say they made a mistake. Bob Stafford told us they love Pud Colson in that dressing room, and they loved him in Vancouver too.
Speaker 1: Good for him. So there have been four back to back Cup Final rematches in the expansion era. The Oilers were involved in one and maybe this is something they can It's just again Minutia, but a positive for them. Oilers Islanders eighty three, eighty four, they lose in eighty three to come back. Islanders come back and win against the Islanders and eighty four. You'll learn.
Speaker 4: You learn from your mistakes, and the owners learned from their mistakes last year. Donnie, I got them in the final. It's hard not to take.
Speaker 1: You've got the you're picking them Oiders.
Speaker 4: It's hard not to take. You didn't mention the other local kid who's going off on. I mentioned Troy Stature, Ryan NuGen Hopkins and Ryan NuGen Hopkins Burnaby one of class, but you didn't mention him. Okay, Ryan, I'm talking with the local product facility, Pod coles in Okay, okay, Ryan NuGen Hopkins.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Gadgevitch plays for the Panthers.
Speaker 4: By the way, the Edmonton oiter is just so everybody knows. Nineteen Canadians on their roster. Nineteen nineteen Canadians on their roster. Just saying, just saying, just saying.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of support there. Okay, So you've got look, look, we were running out of time here. We've got to get the Thomas grants and you know he'll have a hissy fit if you don't get them, you know, diva, Right, But you've got some information on connuc ufase, well save that for later, all right, older horses. There includes a bit of an update on brock Besser. Yep, you look like you're surprised. You're the one who told me about this. Yeah, yeah, okay, here's what else is coming up in the show. It's action packed. DTMZ is it's me coming up in the eleven o'clock hour. Look who's joining us just after eleven Trevor Linden.
Speaker 4: Trevor Linden, one of my favorites all time. Trevor Lindon number sixteen.
Speaker 1: Former conduct captain, former Canuck president. And why do we have Trevor on the show while we're going to talk about the NHL and the Canucks, but also his old team, the Medicine Hat Tigers are playing in the Memorial Cup Final on Sunday. They haven't won since eighty seven and eighty eight when Trevor was part of that team.
Speaker 4: Donnie, who did Trevor Lindon hire when he got to Vancouver? Willie d first hire, second hire, betting.
Speaker 1: That he wasn't with Trevor in eighty seven and eighty eight. I know, but the connection, Yeah, I'm connecting the dots. Yeah good, okay, big ride. The Twitter guy coming up later this hour at the bottom of this hour Kara Gardner More. She's the new GM of Vancouver's new It's expansion p WHL franchise. We recorded this interview. She is very impressive and up next, as we mentioned, talking hockey from the Athletic Thomas Dratz. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks. If I don't see it later in the show, have a great weekend. Donnie, Dolly the Team.
Speaker 2: I Check Dollie and Dollie. The Team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca. Love golf but hate the rain. Hideout Golf is now open.
Speaker 4: Located in the Sands Hotel on Davy Street. Hideout Golf as your new go to golf simulator bar, perfect for everything from casual rounds to a competitive play.
Speaker 1: Hideout Golf has an exclusive offer for Donnie and Dolly listeners. Get twenty five percent off simulator time for your first booking. Just use the promo code Dad Dad twenty five. That's Dad, Dad twenty five. Ready to t up your next night out.
Speaker 4: Book now at a Hideout Golf dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Friday and all today's guests are brought to you by That includes Thomas Drants standing by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort looking for a midweek escape close to home. BC residents say fifteen percent on weekday stays at the Bayside Oceanfront Resort in Parksville, relaxed by the ocean, enjoy great donning and unwined with island hospitality. We talk about the great golf courses around there as well. Book now at Bayside Resort, Parksville dot com. Evander Kaine was supposed to join us on the Show LA Tuesday. He is canceled after watching her first segment. I kid, we forgot. We're talking about little bit of Vander Kaine right An Opkins, Stature, Pod Colson good connections to Vancouver again with the pud Colson. He was a Canuck. He's in the Cup finals. We call him local if he didn't grow up.
Speaker 4: Here, Okay, Stature Kane and options good local kids in the Stanley Cup finals.
Speaker 1: Joining us now from the athletic He's a local kid, Thomas. Dr Thomas, thanks for doing it this? How are you?
Speaker 6: Ah Ah, I'm doing great with a welcome like that, My goodness, rig Yeah, I love you.
Speaker 1: You know that well, I'm welcoming you. Love hate love hate love hate love hate. Hey Thomas, when you watch these growling at me, when you watch these NHL when do you want to let it go? When you watch these NHL playoffs as we get ready for the Oilers and Panthers, what sticks out in terms of what the Canucks need to acquire?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I mean so much. To be totally honest with you, unfortunately, I mean I think we're looking at, you know, a team that needs size, a team that needs a lot of speed, and I think those like, both of those traits leap off the page. You know, that Oilers team, the way that they're I mean, the Oilers are a fascinating sort of example here because there's two things that they're doing that are just absolutely crushing teams.
Speaker 3: First of all, they're they're lethal off the rush.
Speaker 6: I mean, they are scoring a ton of goals off the rush, something the Canucks have really struggled to do across the last two years. And additionally, you know when there's loose change in the crease. I mean, you better catch every perimeter shot as a goaltender that the Oilers shoot your way, because you know whether it's Perry, whether it's Dreysidel Hymen before the injury. You know McDavid's winning battles. I mean, we saw Jeff Skinner score on this type of play to make it through nothing last night. But they are first to bucks, They are getting putties in on pucks and just digging pucks out. And then in addition to having that size, they have the speed or sorry, the skill level to actually do stuff with it, interesting backdoor passes, you know, really good movement high low and man. I mean that's very different from what it looks like when you watch the Canucks play, just the way that they dominate in terms of winning fifty to fifty puck battles in the greasy areas of the ice. So I look at all of that and just think there's a lot that this Canucks team needs, you know, size, speed, grit, leadership, character, especially up front. I mean put it all together. This team is far far away from the level that the Florida Panthers and the Edmonton Oilers are at, which, by the way, isn't a huge insult.
Speaker 3: You know who else is far away from that level.
Speaker 6: The Dallas Stars and the Carolina Hurricanes, and they're clearly top five teams. Just there's a lot of distance to travel to get into that sort of tier of contenders, and then even once you're there, there's a lot of distance to travel before you're at the level of you know, these historic teams like Edmonton and Florida.
Speaker 4: Hey, Thomas, anyway you cut it really positive for the Canucks and we can harp on many negatives from this season, but is absburd last night and overtime over Texas? You know, what are you seeing with that team? The biggest thing we're gonna watch is which one of those players can make the jump to the NHL leg level to be a regular NHL the not just a guy goes up to Vancouver next year sent back down. Who do you see there as being a regular right out of the camp.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, it's an interesting question because you know the sort of leading scorers and best players on this Abbotsford Canucks team.
Speaker 3: Rick and maybe this is partly because atu Ratu.
Speaker 6: Has been injured, right, but it's really I mean, phil d Giuseppe had through forty minutes last night, Phildy Giuseppe had eight.
Speaker 3: Shots on call.
Speaker 6: Right, It's been a lot of Sami Blay, It's been a lot of sort of veteran players. Jonathan Lacaramaki through forty minutes, by the way, had zero shots.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So there's an element to which like this run is not being driven necessarily by some of the younger prospects that Canucks fans are excited about. It's being driven by some of the candidates to be depth contributors for the Canucks next season.
Speaker 3: Linus Carlson, I.
Speaker 6: Think, is a guy that for a variety of reasons has left off the ice, both at the NHL level and obviously in the Calder Cup playoffs. Just the way that he like you want to talk about digging Putson in tough areas of the ice and having some size, Like, Linus Carlson's got the skill definition tight and he wins a ton of battles.
Speaker 3: He's really heavy on his stick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are some speed limitations to his game, but I mean, I think we've seen him be a dependable fourth line player. I think he could have some NetFront utility on power play two going forward at the NHL level, and he's had a tremendous run. So he'd sort of be at the top of my list of Abbotsford Canucks to watch for guys who strengthened their case to be on the NHL roster next season, especially given that the team proactively signed him to an NHL contract a couple months back. And the other guy's obviously Victor Mancini and acquired in that JT. Miller trade, the first part of the JT. Miller trade, And I mean he's blown up. He's played really, really well. I had some concerns about the hockey sense when we saw him down the stretch, some of the puck handling too, but when you see how what he can do, you know he's aggressive, he's willing to join the rush as you're seeing there. He's got a big frame, he's a right handed shooter, and from what I understand, is an absolute ringcrat in terms of the work ethics. So you know, I think he's put a lot of things on tape in the Calder Cup playoffs that I'm sure will strengthen his hand at training camp for the Canucks next ball.
Speaker 4: Absolutely hearing a lot of good things about Mancini. Hey what about Dempko, A lot of talk about he's on trade boards. They're gonna have to get to his agent. I think Thomas soon to find out, Hey, what do you want on a new deal, because if he wants seven times seven, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Thomas. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The way to think about this Rick From my understanding, and this is somewhat dated information three four weeks ago, but I was talking to some principles involved in a high level hockey operations decision making with the Canucks. The sort of main concept to keep in mind here is the idea of shared risk, right, and like, I think the Canucks would love to keep demco and are open to doing an extension, but I think that extension needs to account for the significant risk of you know, extending him coming off of, frankly a nightmare campaign in which he had three separate extended injury related absences over the course of the season, including one which was of that unprecedented knee tear which he suffered in the playoffs last year, like twelve months ago, and you know, from which I think we sort of wonder, like will that have a meaningful impact on his performance level and his durability going forward. The fact that he then sustained the back injury and an additional lower body injury, you know, only sort of heightens those concerns because it wasn't just that Demko was hurt three times. He also wasn't at the level consistently that he typically has been. And how could he be, I mean, given what he dealt with last summer, given how you know, sort of drawn out his his ramp up was in recovering from that injury. We didn't get, you know, the best version of Thatcher Demko, who is, as we know, one of the most dominant goaltenders in the league. Now, if Demco and his camp and Demko's obviously publicly expressed a desire to extend, you know, if they decide that they would like to buy some security this summer on July one, when he becomes extension eligible and sort of lock ins you know, some guaranteed an NHL level money as opposed to taking the risk of playing through a contract year and rebuilding his value. You know, I think the Canucks are open to doing that. I think they're very high on Demco as a player and a person. But I think it's clear that, you know, any sort of deal like that is going to have to account for the significant uncertainty that surrounds DEMCO, the shared risk. That risk has to be shared and cooperative, and that's sort of I think how the Canucks are viewing it and sort of what will shape this negotiation. I'm really fascinated too, Rick, just to come back to Abbotsford. I mean, what's our tur she loves this safe percentage at now because you have to nine thirty seven something like that. I mean, he is brushing it and you've got Lankan and signed for five years, and you know there's only two spots on the NHL roster, and she loves is going to require waivers this year and after this sort of run in the Calder Cup playoffs, not to mention what he did in the Stanley Cup playffs the year prior, not to mention what he did in the.
Speaker 3: World Championships the year prior.
Speaker 6: I mean, you'd have to think that there's going to be teams looking at him and thinking, hey, look we can we can help him figure out how to battle through traffic and stop some of those long range shots at a good enough level that he can be our big game goal. And so you know, part of the logic, like, if you're doing a Demco extension, you're you're probably making a decision too on Archer. She loves and you know, given this team's emergency level needs elsewhere, right, there's a lot to weigh for Canucks management because while there is uncertainty on Denco, for sure, you know, there's also an intense level of upside in his game and for goalie needy teams, you know, especially with given that he's just got one year left on his deal, I think that he'd have some pretty significant trade value if he were to to sort of make it off trade boards and actually make it to market ric. So it's a complex situation for the Canucks to stickhandle here.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rick's got the stop watch on. Okay, Thomas, this has gotta be quick. What do you know about Kevin Dean Chicago Blackhawks assistant He's left that organization. What do you know about him and all these this talk about him joining the Canucks staff?
Speaker 3: Not very much.
Speaker 1: There you go, Rick, There you go?
Speaker 3: Is that there you go a record for me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know very much about Kevin Dean. To be totally honest with you.
Speaker 6: That that Chicago team I thought had moments early in the season where they played decently structured hockey under Luke Richardson. Things really fell apart on them in snowball, and then they just didn't have enough talent. So I wouldn't look at like their defensive records as sort of something to take to the bank and evaluating Dean's overall coaching an interesting name for sure, but you do think that the Canucks would want and need to add someone with head coaching experience to the.
Speaker 3: Staff above all else.
Speaker 6: So we'll be very interested to see how put blushes out his bench staff.
Speaker 1: How do you do forty five seconds? Excellent? Perfect?
Speaker 3: Does that include the joke though?
Speaker 4: Does that it includes right from start to finish?
Speaker 1: Thomas I said, let's leave it to that. That's a record low for you. Awesome, A great weekend.
Speaker 3: You said, excellent, Rick growling at me. We're we're doing well boys.
Speaker 1: Thanks, things are normal. Thanks, Thanks, Thomas, appreciate it. Thomas grants the athletic We thank him. By the way, the Hockey Night in Canada panel has gone on a lot about this. The additions of Jake Walman and John Klingberg for the Edmonton Oilers, and in the past they felt the Oilers felt that they needed size on defense, some toughness on defense, and not that Wollman and Klingberg aren't tough, but just that they're known for moving the puck. Well, what do the Oilers have forwards who want to get to get the puck passed up to them? It fits their personality a lot, a lot better than the other defenseman in the past who have left the organization. Just a smart move by say what you want about him, So he gave up a first round pick for Donnie. It's been a good decision. Okay. Up next we have Kara Gardner Moury, the new GM of Vancouver's new p w HL franchise. She's gonna join us next Donnie and Dolly the team one check.
Speaker 4: The Mayside Resort is a bootique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the block above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property prides themselves on offering an uncompromising fusion of West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged, the setting is gorgeous, the memories.
Speaker 1: Last a lifetime.
Speaker 4: Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, ocean front restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event, The Bayside ocean Front Resort the perfect choice any.
Speaker 1: Time of the year.
Speaker 4: Called two five zero, two four eight eight, triple three and fuck your state today.
Speaker 1: It is Friday already, Rick oh An. All of our guests today, including Karen card Vancouver's new PWHL franchise, brought to you by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort. Looking for a midweek escape close to home. BC residents say fifteen percent on weekday stays at the Bayside in Parksville, relaxed by the ocean, enjoyed great downing and unwined with island hospitality. Book now at Bayside Resort, Parksville dot com. Kara Gardner Maury recently named the first GM in the history of Vancouver's new PWHL franchise, coming here after coaching Princeton University's women's team played both ice and field hockey. Yes, Rick at Brown University, former Canadian national team member. What a resume here, Pride of Henshall, Ontario. Kara joins us. Now, congratulations, Kar, thanks for doing this. How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm so excited. Thanks for having me, no problem.
Speaker 1: We don't hear that a lot on the show, and it we appreciate that. What attracted you to this job in the city of Vancouver.
Speaker 8: Well, when I was first kind of approached about the job, you know, I have been a coach most of my career, but I realized, after talking to some of my connections in the NHL with the Philadelphia Flyers and some of the gms there, what a cool leadership.
Speaker 7: Opportunity this is.
Speaker 8: And the city of Vancouver is, you know, highly regarded as one of the greatest cities in the world. So I just really thought I needed to explore this. I'm very passionate about growing our game and helping this league succeed, and so it was just like kind of a natural progression, and the more I looked into it, the more I just wanted to be in it.
Speaker 1: Just doing some research here for once before an interview, expagine drafts just around the corner. June ninth. What are your top priorities right now?
Speaker 8: Oh, my goodness, So my top priorities are, you know, getting ready for that draft, looking at you know, all the player pool, the player salary. I'm lucky that I've got to either coach the actual players, coach against the player coach them on the national team. So I feel really comfortable with the player pool, but also trying to get a head coach in place so we can hit the ground running as soon as this starts up in a few days.
Speaker 1: You played in the now defunked NWHL. I hope I've got that right. How does that I'll tell you right now. I've been watching the games. They're very impressive. How does that stack up from what you've seen of the PWHL.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, it's come so far. Our game is amazing now. And it was crazy because I remember playing back then and we thought, oh my goodness, we get to play professionally, but you know, really we didn't get any money and we were still living in our parents' basements. So I've been watching and just hoping for these moments for so long, and it's been quite a while. I don't want to age myself since those days. But I just look back at me and my teammates, and you know, Jana was one of the players that I played with briefly in that league, and it's just incredible seeing how far the game has come and coaching them over the.
Speaker 7: Last fifteen years.
Speaker 8: Just the skill level and the speed and the talent, it's just grown so much, and it's an incredible, incredible game to see.
Speaker 4: Now, Kara, every GM in every league is asked the same question when they get the job. What kind of team are you looking for? What kind of identity do you want with your hockey club?
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, you're going to see one of the most competitive teams in the league. So I'm big on speed, relentless play. I was a defense when I played, so I think, honestly, that's you got to build from the back out, So you're going to really see strong defenders.
Speaker 7: But you know, really dynamic, really fast.
Speaker 8: I would love a team that's, even though I'm talking about defense, that's scoring seven goals a game.
Speaker 7: I just I love goal scoring.
Speaker 8: So I think you're it's definitely not going to be a boring team to watch.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the pool of players. Where's women's hockey right now for you in Canada. I mean in British Columbia. I can tell you Don and I had kids in minor hockey. We saw a ton of women's teams getting good coaching. Now there's a lot of good coaches players. Where's that pool prospect in Canada right now for you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: The prospect pool is across Canada.
Speaker 7: We have some really exciting.
Speaker 8: Players coming out of British Columbia and the Vancouver area itself, but you'll find them all all across Canada.
Speaker 7: Numbers are growing at such an alarming rate.
Speaker 8: I remember when when I was young, we really had to play ring at our boys hockey for most of it. So to see all the like U sticks you, eight, like you, twelve teams that are all girls, multiple girls teams in every cities, it's it's incredible. The numbers are expanding at an amazing rate and that's what's going to produce the best players in the future.
Speaker 4: What about going from player, sorry for player, coach to GM. I mean, you did a great job in Princeton. Now you go from being behind the bench upstairs the boss.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean some things I think are going to be a little bit easier when you get to watch from up top, you can sleep a little better. I'm not yellow the officials quite as often as I do from the bench, But part of what I loved about my job was building teams and building cultures.
Speaker 7: I think that's a big role of the head.
Speaker 8: Coach and it transfers perfectly to the role of GM. So, you know, I'm sure like the daily you know, interactions and being in the fire is something that on some level on this but on another level, it's kind of nice to get to watch it from up top.
Speaker 1: What was it like coaching hockey at Princeton University? Yeah, I coached min Ivy League parents. What was that like?
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh no, the parents are great.
Speaker 8: You just you really have to know what you're talking about and why you're talking about it, because the Ivy League students and Princeton students, like, they're incredibly intelligent and they're going to ask you why on everything.
Speaker 7: So as long as you're ready and you know why you're.
Speaker 8: Doing the things you're doing, it's incredible. And I will tell you, the conversations at pregame meal will blow your mind, Like the things they're talking about that they're learning in school and like studying. They'll they'll talk at the table at meals and you're just like, wow, these are some of the most intelligent, bright young leaders, like in the world.
Speaker 1: We're talking with that. Kara Gardner Morian, you gm A Vancouver's new pwhl A franchise. Your husband is Sean Mourray, former NFL receivers special teams demon Steelers, Patriots, Cardinals, Seahawks as well, just down the road here. Does it help Kara being so close to somebody who can relate to the ups and downs of sports, in this case pro.
Speaker 7: Sports, Yeah, I think it does. It's going to translate well because I think one of the.
Speaker 8: Harder parts for me, you know, fifteen years ago or so, was the first time it was traded or taken off waivers and understanding that professional sports is a little bit different where you go, where you know, the gms pull you and you might have to pick up and move in two weeks, and that's the business of the sport. And I think when I was young, like and never been a professional athlete myself, I was like really kind of taken aback by that, and then slowly you realize the business.
Speaker 7: You understand how contracts work, it.
Speaker 8: Was nice to see that side of the game for this position.
Speaker 1: Kara, the Canucks don't have a practice facility. What can you tell us about What can you tell us about your team's practice facility at the Agrodome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we're incredibly lucky and super blessed not only having our own practice facility, but being the primary tenant in the Pacific Coliseum.
Speaker 7: I think we're the only team.
Speaker 8: In the league to be a primary tenant, and that's just a testament to the city of Vancouver and PNY and how much they're embracing and supporting this team. So we feel incredibly lucky. I think it's going to be a great tool to draw some of the best players in the league towards Vancouver, and again, it just shows what a commitment this city has and the passion that they're showing for this team.
Speaker 1: This has been great. We'll get you back on soon. All the best on June ninth, that expansion draft and everything going forward.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Kara, She's impressive. Carrat Gardner Mariy new GM at Vancouver's expansion PWHL franchise. Of course, Seattle also joining another hockey club to watch next Winter Doney. Meanwhile, and we thank Kara just before we go to break and get ready for Big Rye. Considering closing your business, we got to take care of our title sponsor here Able Auctions. Not sure how to get everything sold and you're building emptied? Let the experts at able Auctions. Help Able Auctions has been helping business owners and managers sell striplus equipment, inventory and vehicle fleets in a timely and orderly manner for decades. To set a quick email to Sales at able Auctions dot ca to get started. We'll get you right back. We'll get right back to you with some ideas and options. Quick, easy, free, absolutely no obligations. Sales at able Auctions dot CA. Sales at A b l E Auctions dot C A Big Rye Next, Donnie Dolly team on check.
Speaker 4: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, Lower Mainlands leader in rental property management from finding a tenant to collecting rents and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Birds Nest Properties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at birds Nest Property as a call today six oh four two six to zero, double nine, double five, or visit Birdsnest Properties dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Just before we get to big Rye, Twitter guy, we haven't introduced the poll question on our show yet, Richel, Let's do that right now. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pups, the Wattling Dog, where you can enjoy twenty taps and twenty screens. You're home for the connection UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today. Pretty straightforward pole question.
Speaker 4: Today, Absolutely our Waddling Dog pupule question, very simple. Who's gonna win the Stanley Cup? Oilers, Panthers. It's pretty close. Fifty seven percent say Florida. Forty three percent of Abington nine hundred and six votes already is hopping. Is popping on a Friday morning.
Speaker 1: As far as the odds go, the betting odds, the Vegas odds, one website here, we have lost it, Lose your house dot com, whatever the case may be. Oiler's slight favorites yes minus one fourteen odds to win.
Speaker 4: That first Zach Hyman, Donny. That's without a good forward, and they're still favored.
Speaker 1: It would be the first Canadian team to win it. Sound like up since ninety three in the Montreal Canadians, Big Rye, the Oilers are definitely more banged up than the Panthers because no Holloway or Broberg either.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so weak. What Holloway Broberg?
Speaker 1: Why is that week?
Speaker 4: They're not with the Oilers anymore?
Speaker 1: What are you talking? No? No, why are you talking to me? Why am I ginging? I'm getting tolightally confused. I'm thinking you're making a good joke here. I thought you were making a joke. Are you're looking at something from last year? Yeah? I was something goodness, something that the worst you got one foot out the door.
Speaker 5: I got confused. Hey, just worry about Evander k and his importance.
Speaker 1: To the series. Bag and Brolberg are you Ryan? You just screwed it up? Halloway and bro Halloway, Brolberg are you serious? You know why? Because it just popped up on my screen is because you're turning into us? I know, man, it is true. There's no other way to explain Hardla right here, big on the Twitter guy is brought to you by sit Down. That was really bad?
Speaker 5: Uh and it's the final few days of Outlander Plugging Electric Vehicle days, happening at Surrey Mitsubishi all month long, save up to eighty five hundred up their most popular all wheel drive suv. The Outlander plug In Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electrical gas and can fit seven passengers in three rows of seating.
Speaker 1: Get a massive eighty.
Speaker 5: Five hundred savings only until me the third first, which is Sunday No Tomorrow on the Outlander plug In Hybrid in Serimonsubishi Instore zero day one, fourth Avenue in Surrey tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This is starting to become like, uh Yiyln hall Away is going to be there signing autograph.
Speaker 5: What was what was the the the mister showbiz bit. That's kind of what the segment's turning into the former ten three. Yeah, I'm getting everything wrong. I won't get this wrong though, I can promise you that. And that is the white Caps announcing, uh, yesterday some great news to see what a dummy Uh That watch party we mentioned happening at Terry Fox Plaza for Sunday's.
Speaker 1: Big game against cruz Azul in the concer CAF Champions Cup Final it's sold out.
Speaker 5: With the watch party, twenty five hundred fans will be packed into Terry Fox Plaza. And more importantly, it was a five dollars donation to get a ticket for the watch party. Twelve six hundred dollars are being is going to be donated to the white Caps FC Foundation. So really good thing happening again outdoor Terry Fox Plaza. Watch party happening at BC Place. And if you're not going to the watch party and you're not going to Mexico to check out the match, which you probably should be leaving pretty soon. If you're going to Mexico for it, a reminder, it's on one Soccer. That's how you can watch one soccer the game six o'clock on Sunday. And by the way, double check your teles subscription because tell Us channel nine to eighty on tell Us has one Soccer for certain subscribers. Yeah nice, so double check that. If not, you got to go on the website one. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It's the biggest game in franchise history and ninety percent of the public doesn't get it. The other ten percent have to spend an hour to find Soccer one.
Speaker 1: And you have to buck up, and you have to buck up.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely ludicrous that the white Caps are putting their fans.
Speaker 1: It's not the white stop an MLS contract. No, no, no, no, not this one, not this one. This well, because this is a Conca calf thing. It's not nothing to.
Speaker 5: Do with the MLS, right, yeah, yeah, so it's not it's not not really the MLS. I would say it's more Conca calf than one soccer having this agreement. But Rick, to your point, I agree, horrible, like this should and and I understand rights agreements and all of that, but it's too bad.
Speaker 1: There's not a way that TSN and one soccer can't come to some last minute agreement and say, because of the magnitude of the match, it's going to be on TSN. I mean, look, they've got nothing else on their network right now. There's no NBA. Well I guess there is NBA tomorrow, but it's quiet times for them right now. It should be readily available. Horrible.
Speaker 5: This is arguably the biggest, well it is biggest moments in soccer seventy nine.
Speaker 1: It is it is it is. You just mentioned the watch party being sold out. Yeah, there hasn't been a buzz like this for the white Caps, all due respect, since they started back in twenty eleven. This is it. Well and outside of that game against Messi here as well. Okay, but involved in this run though to your point, it's still been part terms of what the team is up to exactly. This is number one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got to spend an hour finding this soccer one. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And I'm more worried about the pre ten bucks. Yeah, yeah, well that's not a surprise. Okay, moving on here.
Speaker 5: Amazon had their upfronts earlier this week, Amazon Canada.
Speaker 1: That is what the go ahead and they they officially streaming here. They officially unveiled the roster for season two of Face Off Inside the NHL. Of course, last season featured Quinn Hughes. So this year it's a long list of names that are There's one name there that I think is going to be eliminated, Channa. Yes, well it'll be the end of his story somewhere else. At the end of his story could be interesting. There's more names involved. This, This stuff has already been done. This would have been this is all in the can I stand corrected?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, throughout this past season The only interesting thing on here though, is the fact that there are no this time around, there's well there's no Edmonton.
Speaker 1: Oilers involved in it.
Speaker 5: But I'm trying to remember, I don't think last year, because the final two episodes of last season just have revolved around the Cup final.
Speaker 1: Remember we had the famous clip, Yeah, I mean Davian.
Speaker 5: There's also the famous clip that's been going around a lot in last twenty four hours of Zach Hyman post game last year when he said stood up and said, I feel it in my heart We're gonna.
Speaker 1: Be back here. So it's got a lot of play. So Matthew Kachuck's evolved. The big names. I'm not gonna run through all of them. Well, brothers a lot. I needed to say Crosby but Flurry and his Crosby Flurry song. But also Miko Ranton in right the double trade in season I mean that that'll be something interesting, and his lack of production in the postseason as well, but both Ka Chuck brothers back of production in the last half of Dallas's postseason. Yeah, well, I look, I said to you before the show, thought, okay Ranton and you could poke holes in because if you look at his overall statistics, you go, oh, that's not that bad. But if you take out.
Speaker 5: The two hat trick games, which are back to back, he has three goals.
Speaker 1: But also tell people what you told me. You agreed with what I said yesterday. I've got some blowback, and everybody's welcome to their opinion. Love it in the Delaney's inbox. But I just don't think his effort levels gripped. Man. Maybe he's hurt, and that's the thing, like, we'll see on that.
Speaker 5: But again, as I made the point with Austin Matthews when people would say that too, oh maybe he's he's banged up or whatever.
Speaker 1: All we can know is what we know, and we don't know.
Speaker 5: That any of these guys are injured until they want to say in their post season presser that I had this and I had that.
Speaker 1: That's fine, but can I ask this to this is throughout the season they've been cameras. I think it's Christmas on Okay, I believe I'm just wondering about foreign nations. Yeah, I think Harley there got the call rather late. Yeah, yeah, I think I think that they that they would have been rolling on that. But there was also the foreign Nations documentary they already had, right they've they already did that, so I don't know how much they'll be crossover. But it is interesting that a lot.
Speaker 5: Of these names were also involved in both Kachuck Brothers, right Seth Jarvis, Harley Kneelander.
Speaker 1: For Sweden, you mentioned it, they provided a cardboard box for Shanahan.
Speaker 5: I think, well that will be interesting, Like do they have him cleaning on his office.
Speaker 1: That would be good film, good cinema, you know, putting away his little name plate there, family photos or just thrashing. I mean that would be yes.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean look they had me David spaz out, yeah in Game seven last year.
Speaker 1: Maybe Shannan will be doing you know, kids up the phone with Keith Pelly, just throwing things around, ripping up let, ripping up letterhead would be massive. Yes, absolutely, absolutely so anyway, season two, and I gotta be honest, I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to season one, because maybe it's because we're so involved in hockey. I like to sometimes take these things down a peg where I've enjoyed other sports documentaries more like the F one one I really enjoy and Full Swing I really enjoyed. But the accent they spent with Quinn Hues was really interesting. You know, it is cooking that sort of thing. That was great. With the awful TV setup, Yeah, Quinn needs some help. You know what. You came to my place and you ripped into my mind. That was also weak. Okay, TV, you are a man cave snob. I've been to it could use some work. Yeah, what I got three screens, they're mounted, there's cables are hidden. Quinn us.
Speaker 4: It was like, why do you need three screens? How do you watch three different sporting events at the same time?
Speaker 5: Because because I I have my eyes move, I can absorb at the level you guys don't know.
Speaker 1: One of those odds makers in Vegas. Yeah, exactly, it's the young kids these days.
Speaker 4: Donnie and I grew up with the television, remember the Wooden Ones, the heavy wood Donnie. The TVs wait so much, and we didn't have remote control.
Speaker 1: You had to turn the knob, but you guys were I was a remote control for my dad's far Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: We only had nine channels in the eighties and you got three TVs with three different games.
Speaker 1: But come on, he's he is a man cave stop. I've improved mine, by the way, I would never have a man cave. I think it's stupid. Why why why can't you just sit in your living room with just no I want to I want to go away. Yeah, stop, you know, kick everybody out of the living room. There's there's a couple members of my family. No name is mentioned. Quick. You're watching hockey again, you know I don't need that quick right, No, I am so if we're down to three here and process of elimination, okay, coming up next. I don't think this is too strong to say. Canucks legend right. Trevor Linden, Oh, former president the Hockey Ops, two time Immortal Cup champion, will talk to Trevor fitness grew fitness. He Yeah, Club sixteen, Dolleyball sixteen up and so Surrey Club sixteen. Club sixteen. You go so often, you're not it's good. It's a beautiful, beautiful place. Have you been to Gate sixteen? Trevor lindon is No, I don't. It's done sinful of reference. Donnie sure the TM Tech. Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. Friday and all of our guests today. It brought to you by the Bayside oakshre Front Resort in Parksville. Book now at Bayside Resort Parksville dot com. Trevor Linden is going to join us now, former Canucks captain, former Canucks president, two time Memorial Cup champion eighty seven and nineteen eighty eight with the Medicine That Tigers and of course, on Sunday in Ramuski, the Tigers will play in the twenty twenty five Memorial Cup Final against either Monkton or London. Yeah right, got that, go hat go Trevorling and joining us now. Trevor, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 9: I'm awesome goo good to be with the legend Donnie Taylor Dolly you got a legend yet I just called you a legend?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Come on, come on, Trevor, Okay, before we.
Speaker 9: Start, you look amazing. Are you working out a Club sixteen, Trevling.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am. You are right. I go every weekend, your weekend. Now, what else are you going to ask? Trevor? I got a problem though, Trevor.
Speaker 4: You're you're the first two doors to get in the Club sixteen. Is so Surrey are damn heavy. It's like it's like the vaults to keep the money in the banks. Like, Trevor, I'm spending half my workout get through the first two doors.
Speaker 9: Damn Well, that's the point, that's where your workout starts.
Speaker 1: Dolly, stop, come on.
Speaker 9: You must look at this guy and say, wow, this guy looks amazing. And you and I like, we're get we're in our fifties, right.
Speaker 1: Uh Donnie R Yeah, sure, let's go with that.
Speaker 9: What's that?
Speaker 1: Let's go with fifties. That's good, okay.
Speaker 9: And I know one thing, Hey, Dollie, you'll appreciate this. I know Donnie loves a good deal.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah, you're not. Oh yeah, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 9: More than anyone. Yeah. Now, at Club sixteen, Trevling. In fitness, you can work out for free all summer long if you sign up, now, Donnie, really, really, you get the summer for free? Is that like amazing.
Speaker 1: What about me? I've been paying for years?
Speaker 9: You're what are you paying?
Speaker 1: Like like like a deal already? I should have a Trevor Linden discount.
Speaker 9: Come on, you already got it and paying sixteen bucks a month even town, Donnie, I'm telling you you cannot pass this up, my friend. You can need to Hey we Hey, we're getting older, Donnie. We need to like push a little way, keep it going, you know, keep it tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'll consider it. If I go to South Surrey. Do I have to pay extra because I have to open those doors? Yeah?
Speaker 9: No, No, you don't have to pay extra. That's part of the workout. You'll still get the summer for free. And uh, you know, like and it's like sixteen bucks a month. You're like, You're like, you're crushing it.
Speaker 1: You Rick will be okay, who you cheering for? Who you cheering for? On Sunday?
Speaker 9: Oh man, come on now it's uh. I got my my dear old mom. She's eighty three years old. She is the biggest hockey fan in medicine. Hat loves her Tigers, you know, curls three times a week. She I need to know exactly what's going on with every one of the players, and we be up to speak because when I call, when I call her, she needs to talk Tigers, so and so. Yeah, it's been it's been fun obviously with Gavin McKenna, special player. It's good to see Willie. It's funny I saw will I saw the Tigers and when Willy brought them to the Cup in four in Colowna and at the Memorial Cup here in Vancouver in two thousand and seven when Milan Lucic and his team won. So it's good to see back at the Big Dance. And he's got a heck of a team. One thing I don't like. I don't like this layoff. That's the thing that scares me. But you know, I hate the layoff. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: What do you think of Gavin McKenna, Well, he's special.
Speaker 9: I think there's a couple of things that it's interesting, right We've got we had Connor Berdard, We've had mclin Celebrini, and now we've got Gavin McKenna. That there's something in the water out here in the West with the number one overall picks and not just one overall picks, but like special. You know, I'd hate to use it. I won't say the word generational because that's get around a little bit too much, but upper echelon special potential players there. So I think the most interesting thing with Gavin McKenna Dahlia, and I'd love to hear your opinion on this is just what does he do next year? Does he go back to medicine hat or take the nil money and go play college like that is I mean, this whole college situation is find really fascinating just for what it's going to do to junior hockey and and just the development model and how it relates to NHL teams too. I think is is kind of fascinating because it's been it's a total change.
Speaker 4: And talking agent's Trevor, they're saying that the kids are dominating at fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, they don't want to go back to the W eighteen. They're going to continue to dominate, So let's go to college and play twenty year olds, twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, twenty four year olds. So boys hockey changing, Trevor, Look at the BC Hockey League, look at the Western League. I mean, what are your thoughts on all these changes in junior hockey.
Speaker 1: WE'RECEIVD.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think it's interesting because and there's another way to look at it, like so a lot of times, these kids that graduate as nineteen year olds out of the Western League to make to go to the American Hockey League is a massive jump and it's difficult to do. So these kids that graduate out of junior hockey at nineteen go play at the University of Michigan or Denver. I mean, it's gonna make college hockey older. It's going to make junior hockey a little younger, but junior hockey is going to get better. I mean the CHL because all kids they're not going to go to the USHL anymore. They don't have to rush to college. They can come play junior hockey. So it's it's it's fascinating. I think it's I think it's obviously it's a good thing to have these kids that are sixteen years old, fifteen years old making a decision on like what they want to do either college or junior is a was a brutal position to put these kids and families in. So having that not be such a big decision at such a young age is a good thing, Trevor.
Speaker 4: I always remember ninety four and how hard it was, But winning the Cup isn't any easier now than it was in ninety four.
Speaker 1: Look at these teams.
Speaker 4: Look at the injuries when teams get knocked out, Trevor, broken this, broken that, and guys are playing through, you know, to win the Cup. It's it's just the hardest trophy, Trevor. It's got to be the hardest trophy to win.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, there's no question, guys. I think it's it's harder now because I think just getting to the playoffs is harder than it was. Think about this, guys. When I started in eighty eight with one teams in the league, yeah, sixteen of them made the playoffs, Like are you kidding? Like five teams didn't make the playoffs, Like, and now you've got thirty two teams, sixteen of them don't make the playoffs. So just getting there is harder because the games are more intense earlier in the season and it ramps up sooner. The competition is tough. And then yeah, no question, I mean the game is so good. I mean the players are so much better than they were, you know, back when I started, And it's faster, it's harder, and I you know, I think that especially in hockey, it's just you just don't know who's gonna win. It's just so hard. You know, you get on a roll, your goaltender, you know, Skinner gets on a roll. Like who would have thought, like the fact I was so wrong, so wrong. I mean, because if you put Dallas and Evanton on paper, if you're a general manager, you'd say, I'll take Dallas's goaltender all day long. I'll take Dallas so long, and I'll take Dallas's depth at the forward position all day long. I mean, and and I'd even take their coach over no block, He's got more experience, et cetera. So and then you see what happened. But you know, the game. The great thing about hockey is the game is played on the ice. And Emonton's got the two best players in the world and they are incredible and difference makers, and so it's it's it surprised me, especially going down in five games like that. Was that's a shocker for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, Trevor, I want to talk about a certain night this past winter, if you don't mind, What was it like being at Rogers arena with your son for Patty O'Neil's special special night. I think we have some visuals as well. What was that like?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I mean, first of all, just uh just saying hi to Patty and and uh boy that uh we we've yeah, we've been through a lot together. And having Roman be able to meet Patty and go down to the dress room. He's seven now, so just uh, you know, he's just uh all eyes, lots of questions. So uh yeah, I just could seeing those guys. And great for Patty that he's had such a great career and able to step away at a time he can go. And I mean it's such a commitment to be in that role and and I think it's forty years like so when he, he and I first year was in was in Vancouver in eighty eight. We came at the same time. So yeah, super fun. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Which it like having your kid go to games. Now having Roman go to games.
Speaker 9: It's fun. I mean he uh, last year in the playoffs we saw the Nashville One of the Nashville games, we sat in the stands, which was awesome because the first time I ever sat in the stands really and I wanted home to have that experience. And and so he's, uh, he's pretty funny. He's got a lot of great questions and kind of like, dad, did you really play here? Like? You know? So, and he comes home from he came home from school the other day and that that clip of Jeff Norton going through the glasses was anniversary of that. So that was kind of going around. And so some of the kids at school were saying to him and they're like, hey, could you They say, hey, could you ask your dad? Why did he hit that guy through the glass. So Roman, the kids the school was saying that you hit a guy through the glass. So we watched the video tape. He said, Dad, why did you do that? I said, well, I didn't mean to hit him through the glass. It's just kind of what happened, you know what I mean. So, yeah, he's fun stuff like that because he's uh, lots lots of fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, while we're on this subject of the Caducks, Trevor, I got to ask you, can you envision Elias Petterson having a strong offseason and turning his career around?
Speaker 9: I mean you yeah, I mean you gotta hope.
Speaker 1: So I'm not.
Speaker 9: The commitment that the team made to him obviously significant. I mean, they are banking on this guy to be the player, and I'm not sure exactly what goes on with Elias. Obviously I knew him, we drafted him and spent some time with him, and the last year I was there, clearly, you know, I think he's really got to take ownership of where he's at and where he needs to be. And you know, just to read some of the comments, I don't know if there's a rift between Danny and Hank, And it's just crazy to me, but he needs to step up as a pro, and step up as a professional and and and deliver what's expected. I mean, he's capable of it, for sure, but there's just times where he just looks disengaged and uninterested. And that's that's concerning.
Speaker 1: So we all know about Petterson versus Miller. So you were the conductor captain at one point. I'm sure this this happened. You were there for a long time. What would you do if two teammates weren't getting along and it might and it was affecting the team?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that situation was I don't just don't know I've ever seen this before, guys in any like like I mean, like what like baseball, football, basketball, hockey. I mean, we just I just have never seen the situation before where one of the one of your top players had to be traded because these guys couldn't get along. Like, I just never seen it before. And I know, you know, obviously JT is abrasive. He can be, and you know, we love his emotion on the ice and how he plays. Sometimes that doesn't always serve him well with teammates and in the locker room. But at the same time, some of that's okay. I mean everyone's got to be a big boy in the locker room. I mean, I'm not sure how much that affected Elias. I mean, clearly it was a situation that had to change, But yeah, I just never seen it before, you know. I Mean there's obviously times where not everyone's best friends on a team and that's accepted, but everyone understands to get in the locker room, they're they're there to do one thing. And this seemed just to get just, you know, completely in the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: Trevor, when you were the press, the Canucks had the farm team in Utica. Now it's an abosper Look what's happening. I mean, they're in the Western Final last night, a huge crowd, they sold out the next game.
Speaker 1: How good to see Abisperd doing well.
Speaker 9: And Maddy mahulters, well, ah, I've actually got to be surprised. I thought Manny was the guy that they would bring in for that job. I really did. I was shocked actually, But yeah, I mean the biggest thing with Utica guys is that, you know, as far as a development model, it was good because every trip was a bus ride. For that there was you know what I mean. And they had more more practice time, better practice time, more training time, you know, and and you know, it's been great here. It's been awesome here. You know how I talked to uh who I talk Oh, I was talking to Scottie Walker the other day. His kid plays out there. Uh and uh, just you know the you know, bussing from Abbotsford to the airport to clearing customs, to flying down south to coming back to clearing customs. You know, that's that's but I mean, it's been great to be closer to the team, no doubt about it, you know what I mean. And Abbotsford embraced that club, and it's just great to have that Vancouver feel with your with your you know, with your farm team. And it's a huge win for the organization. And and but definitely nice to see Ryan Johnson and Manny have success down there. Two guys I loved working with and so it's nice to see them doing well.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, as we wrap this thing up, Trevor, you kind of disappointed me here because no, well no, because Eleas Petterson, what does he have to do in the off season? Join Club sixteen? Club six Come on, you missed it.
Speaker 9: I'm giving you the summer for free. Re alius. I know you're getting I know you're making twelve sheets a year, but hey, Club sixteen is going to give you the summer for free. And Donnie, no one likes a deal like you and I yes, yeah, you can't turn that down.
Speaker 3: Donny.
Speaker 9: Look at Dollie. He looks like, look at him.
Speaker 1: That could be you. Yeah, yeah, sure. Hey Trevor, can I just clear something up here? You just said something and we're getting some reaction here. When you said a rift between Dan Neil and Henrick, you meant a rift between Daniel and Hendrick and Elias right, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I just I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's out there, but it's out, it's out there. Travel we've heard it, we've heard it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I don't I don't know what that means. No, no, no, Danny k no. But yeah, I mean and even like you know Elias with his car, I know he picked I know he cleaned it up, but his comments about the market and playing in front of the fans, I mean, it's just not you just that is not where you want to go. And you don't have to look too far. You can look to number thirty three and number twenty two. Nobody took more criticism earlier in their what they couldn't do, And you know what those guys did. They just went to work and they just worked and worked. And he could not ask for better role models, especially for a young Swedish player in market such as this, to how to handle that, like are you kidding me? Like it's on a t if you're not sitting there talking to these guys every single day about what's going on for you and how to handle things. I mean, I mean, it couldn't be any simpler for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they care so much. Trevor appreciate it. Best of luck with Club sixteen, and best of luck to your medicine hat Tigers on Sunday.
Speaker 9: Ye go Tigers, and Dolly, I'm gonna get those doors fixed for you. I don't want to upset you anymore, right, and I want.
Speaker 1: To chew gum. You can't chew gum in your place. Start change that rule.
Speaker 9: Choose gums and work out at the same time.
Speaker 4: I'm a big gum tour. I'm a big gum tour. I want hey, yeah, change that rule, Trevor.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, Hey, remember focused, Remember focused. I'm gonna take care of that for you.
Speaker 1: Dolly, Yes, yes, thank you. Trevor appreciate it all right.
Speaker 4: So'm Surrey, Club sixty.
Speaker 1: Club sixteen and sucery right, so surry. Okay, and again we're gonna Trevor misspoke here he meant rumored, rumored. Elias Petterson and Daniel and Henrick, we've heard it. Trevor's heard the same things we have. Okay, we'll take a break and we'll update the poll question next. Thanks to Trevor Linden, Donny Dolly, the team on Jet Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your Business where you can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca dot sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Again our thanks to Trevor Linden. Waddling Dog pull question visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs where you can enjoy twenty taps and twenty screens. You're home for the conduction UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today.
Speaker 4: Ryan got her up. The Waddling Dog pop poll question very simple. Who's gonna win the Stanley Cup? The Orders of Panthers leading right now is the Panthers at fifty eight percent, but not far behind it forty two percent.
Speaker 1: The Orders over a thousand votes already.
Speaker 4: It's hopping. It's popping on a Friday.
Speaker 1: Game one is Wednesday. Game two is Friday. No weekend games until game five. Yeah, that's I don't like that, but I understand he could say Friday night is a weekend television.
Speaker 4: Television, Television dictates everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know people in Canada want to see a game on Saturday. It's Saturday night. Hot I do anyway, It's it's it's it's tradition. Meanwhile, again, bye boy, Trevor lin Oh you look at that interview and you just say to yourself and just how much passion he has for not just the Medicine Hat Tigers who play in the Memorial Cup Final on Sunday, but the Vancouver Canucks. Just it's just too bad. It broke down between Trevor Linnen and the Canucks when he was president. It was Trevor Linn the owner. He proposed her and I don't know how you messed that up. He messed it up.
Speaker 4: The owner messed it up because he wanted to rebuild. Trevor Benning said two more years. The owner said, oh, you're gonna fix it in two years and then okay, I'll take you by Trevor. Big mistake.
Speaker 1: And yet every time I bring up or rebuild you get upset, but it's okay with Trevord, Dottie. It's eight years ago. Yeah, where would they be now if they want to rebuilt when Trevor told them the rebuild, Yes, it'd be in a better spot today. Sure, So why is it any different now?
Speaker 4: Because they got a guy named Quinn Hughes who's gonna walk.
Speaker 1: To that ye might walk anyway? More importantly, is what you said.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares more about this franchise, all due respect, everyone sittings everything.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares. Yeah, but Trevor Linden is right there, along with Stan Smiel and others. They all stand. And the fact that Lyndon was only in that position what feels like a cup of coffee and they amicably split, And the fact that Francesco never even really had to answer for that is that's wrong to me. It's ridiculous. It's insane that that hound did not treat him good at the brutal ridiculous, ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And good on Trevor because he's taking the high road. He's been back in the building since and all that.
Speaker 1: But and he but he's still not afraid to speak his mind now, and much of what he says, including what he says about it. LEAs Peterson is, I think bang On you had some updates when it comes to Connuck, UFAs or Penning, use.
Speaker 4: So u Brock Besser, my gut still says he ends up going to July first Onny. But I do expect the Canucks to take a final run at re signing him in June. I thought they didn't want him back. Gonna explain, Uh, what price is high on the trade market down. Don't be surprised now if the Canucks go back at Besser with an improved offer. You got to remember what do we talk about. Do they have draft capital, Do they have the draft picks, do they have the salary cap space? Do they have the prospects to bring in a top six forward? If you don't and the prices are high, maybe you go back to Brock and say, hey, Brock.
Speaker 1: Right, But is he pissed off? Well that they basically went public was saying we're done with.
Speaker 4: Them, thank you, thank you, and most likely it's too late. Is still get the feeling Brock felt disrespected this year. They did not go to him in the summer.
Speaker 1: Which he still evaluated.
Speaker 4: They evaluated and then the two Pittsburgh Penguins come to town and they signed both of them within two weeks. Down O'Connor, you know, and then Elvin's comments and the trade deadline about Brock. I mean, that didn't go over well with the best camp.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think he he people didn't understand what he was what he was saying there. Just keep an eye on Besser.
Speaker 4: I don't think the Canucks are one hundred percent out on this, and we'll keep an eye on Pa. Suitter checked in last night. Very quiet, quiet on for Bert and quiet on Juleson.
Speaker 1: And you have business. That's right, that's right, as you do every time, absolutely absolutely every show.
Speaker 4: Looking for a gift for a sportsman, how about an addition to your man cave. Pastime Sports the place to visit check out the largest select action of sports member billy autographed items, trading cards and collectible games in Western Canada.
Speaker 1: You got four locations. You got Langley, Metrotown, Gilford Mall and cap l Adam Mall. Look at this in North Vault, Oh.
Speaker 4: If you can't visit the mid story, you can shop their massive collection online at pastime sports Dot. You can follow them on Facebook and X for the latest influence card drops and in store signings.
Speaker 1: And Ryan's the laptop situation Laptop Trevor Linden signed draft puck Hi. He's on the show earlier today from nineteen eighty eight Card of the Day.
Speaker 5: Dolly All forgets about him all the time. That's Ryan Ugen Hopkins have beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 4: Burnaby Winter Club first overall pick Banham draft red Deer. This guy's been a He's had a hell of a national cost season.
Speaker 1: He said, this is the best he's been well. And you I think of Shannon. You talked to Dunny five whatever he's making that contracts over but he got the term. I know, I know, I know, but still I know you'd like to overpay yp A down.
Speaker 4: He got term and he lowered his AVV av av a a V he lowered that and hes av something else AVV.
Speaker 1: But a Burnaby kid, he's had a great career. Good on him. We're good. Is it got it? You know? This door this door thing, the door thing got me. Yeah, he's that part of the workout.
Speaker 4: Open Johnny, your front two doors to a building should not I use your shoulders to open them.
Speaker 1: I do hate that when you get You're going to a place and usually you have something in your hands and the doors are like.
Speaker 4: Leg I have to use my shoulder to get into Linden's Club sixteen.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. There you go. Maybe the cas will sign you up. Okay, we're good, Tims. Next Donny Dolly the team on Check Love the crack of a baseball bat or the smell of hot dogs? The Vancouver Canadians have you covered.
Speaker 4: I'm enjoy a Vancouver summer tradition with three foot hot dogs, Sushi Ray. This is fireworks and Blue Jay prospects, all at the iconic Rogers Field and not Bailey Stadium.
Speaker 1: Visit Canadians Baseball dot com to get your tickets in details on all the summer fun the Seas have to offer. That's Canadians Baseball dot Com. Come for the fun and stay for the baseball.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's eleven thirty four on a Friday morning.
Speaker 1: Donnie Doli on Check TV.
Speaker 4: Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Swisser Golf Club.
Speaker 1: Go see big Al out there. A great track. Great track. DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer design was the golf club reminding everyone tea times can be booked online now for any time during twenty twenty five. And if you've got a group of twelve for more, ask us about our Donnie and Dolly midweek group specials at Whistlergolf dot com. Forward slash Groups outdated North American box office numbers from the weekend. It was this This Leelan and Stitch. It teamed with Tom Cruise from Monster Memorial Day weekend in the States and throughout the continent. Disney's live action version of Lelo and Stitch earned a staggering one point eighty three part of me one and eighty three million dollars, surpassing a Minecraft movie for twenty twenty five's biggest opening weekend.
Speaker 4: How about that it's a cartoon, it was okay, yeah, and they use his voice? Yeah yeah, what who's going Tom Cruise's voice?
Speaker 1: No, okay, okay, I'm going to get to the Tom Cruise part and it okay. Three and forty one schmill worldwide. Wow, that movie's a remake of the O two original story, which was a cartoon six legged alien. Do you see it? Yeah, it'sart the original? Yeah. In a Hawaiian girl and max is in love. The trailer for the new one is on Disney, and so we watch it like once a day. He just loves watching that trailer trailer. Yeah wow, take him to the theater. Oh yeah, he's never been yet. Well, don't go to the previews. Well they also have these fans only friendly screenings. Now they're like, okay, a little less noise. We made the mistake of going to the first movie I can't remember what it was, one of the shreks with our daughter. Great movies, and then she started crying. The previews are louder than the actual Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that. Yeah. Okay. So meanwhile, Tom, Cruise, Mission Impossible, the Final Reckoning. It looks really good. The trailers look really good. The eighth appearance of Cruise as Ethan Hunt in a near to stop it Right in a nearly three decade run, distant second, but still bringing in a franchise record for Mission Impossible seventy seven a million. Final Destination Bloodlines, the trailer of which just frightens the hell out of me, just under twenty million. Oh yeah, yeah, it looks like it's a horrmon. It's all about torture. It looks like yeah.
Speaker 5: And by the way, why do we need to have those ads run during sporting events? I don't know, you know, like Max's Max and I watched it, Yeah, I know, watching the hockey game and that comes on.
Speaker 1: I don't want him watching that. I know it sound like such a dad, but it's like it's you know, you really are an old man. You go from the nice hockey game to this woman is getting her head cut off by a chin saw Like great, great, Yeah, I'm in a horror movie and I was into them when I was younger, in a long time. Yeah, kind of fun. We should all go. No, I'm good. I don't watch those things man, No way. May thirtieth, we have six birthdays. The line is set at a generous five by barking up the right tree Lumberyard at Casino in poos Coopy, BC. The beaver barking at a tree. Okay, apologies too. Who did the artwork? There's elementary No, this one's Jordan Jordan. It's very good, very good. Jordan. I like it. I like it. Lion set at five barking up the right tree. Away we go. Retired NHL Goldie Rick This is for you, retired NHL Goldie acquired by the Connection nineteen eighty two from Saint Louis along with Jim Nill and Tony Curry in return. Kines Rick Hines check defenseman drafted in the second round twenty third overall by the Canucks in nineteen ninety. His dad also a defense for the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bola bo did say, Gary Bubla, Ery Bublah's son is Jerry Slager. H But Bublah was here first, then came Slager. There's a documentary there. Yeah, Ery Boublah, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Undrafted former Canucks left winger from revel Stoke, friend of the show. Also played for Washington College Hall. He had brown. He was able to make the NHL Despike Milfrey Burns to Yes Burns the thirty five percent of his body in a bonfire. Actually came on the should to talk about he was a great guest. What a story. Late Chicago Bears running back out of Kansas NFL rushing yards leader in sixty six and sixty nine. The Bears have retired his number forty uh G.
Speaker 4: S Sayers says, that took a while, but I think you got there.
Speaker 1: Who It was a good time. I saw my legend. My mom cry was while she was watching the movie Brian Song about Brian Piccolo and Gail Sayers was his roommate. James conn played Brian Piccolo. Yeah, Billa, Dy Williams, Yeah, I know you're looking at me. Brian. You had the most old man moment, so I went old man for a second there. But Brian Song is an underrated sports movie, Gil says, just Gil Gail, Gail Gail was really good. Former MLB outfielder from the Dominican OH four al home run Leader and World Series m v P with the Red Sox infamous bathroom break in Finway Park. Ramiers American singer songwriter rapper one of them rappers, real name Thomas de Carlo, Calloway Burton one half along with Danger Mouse of the duo Narls Barkley, C. L. G. Brown, Celo Green Green what's his name? Yeah? That guy? Yeah, brother cel Yeah, Yeah, exactly were good? Yeah? Is it just me? Is coming up? Celo Green is fifth is Where's the Time Gone? This is such a good song. Celo Green fifty years old. He's gonna help play us out march O six and the album Saint Elsewhere. This is Celo Green and NARLS. Barkley number one worldwide with Crazy on check playing the music you can't get enough of. On a BC Friday morning, I.
Speaker 4: Remember when I remember, I Remember when I lost my man.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's Outlander plug In Highbred Electric Vehicle Day at Surrey Mitsubishi.
Speaker 4: This month, get up to eight thousand, five hundred off their most popular all wheel drive s u V, the Outlander plug In Hybrid.
Speaker 1: The Outlander plug In Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electric or gas and can fit seven passengers in three rows.
Speaker 4: Of seating, cruise pass traffic and h OV lanes even when driving solo, and again save up to eighty five hundred.
Speaker 1: Visit Surrey Mitsubishi at one three eight two oh one hundred and fourth Avenue in Surrey. Are online at Surrey Mitsubishi dot CA. A offer ends May thirty first. Is it just me Rick on a Friday?
Speaker 4: We're gonna go to Couch and Valley and Lisa. The canucktioned more Canadian players, simple as that they have a Swedish player who wants the game to slow down. The playoffs are about being fast paced. More Canadian players please, says uh, Lisa and Kouchi Valley, Edmonton's got nineteen Canadians on their roster, Florida's got over ten? Where are they in the Stanley Cup Finals?
Speaker 1: There you go?
Speaker 4: There you go?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? RP? And White Rock? Is it just me? But I believe that the movie Brian's Song was actually a TV movie, a made for TV movie not shown in theaters, And I believe RP is right. Ryan, listen to this. I know you wanted zone out when it comes to stuff from the sixties and seventies, but that was It was a time when made for TV movies showing off and on ABC. Yeah, I remember that were competition, were very very good, Yes for the movies in the theaters. The other movie that sticks out for me from the seventies Brian Song was on the other was Steven Spielberg. One of his first movies called Duel Duel Duel not Due Duel Duel. Yeah. Wow. It was about a truck chasing a salesman in like a K car. It was I thought it was movie was Jaws? No, all right, well one of it. I don't think it was this first movie, but it might have been a second. Fabulous movie holds up today? Check it out this weekend? All right? You work out in sixteen? Is it just me?
Speaker 4: If Toronto WEFC were playing Cruise azul TSN would have had that match on every sood. Chucking Vancouver, no, no, no, no, Chucking Vancouver is bang on.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that's a great submission. Chucking Vancouver bingo. Paul and Paul and Calgary? Is it just me? Or is Rick a big Lelo and Stitch fan? His top today is similar to Lelo's dress. That's Paul and Hey, that's Paul and Calgary, not me. This Paul and Calgary guy. All he does is rip me every single week about what I wear. It's ridiculous. You should see what he's saying about opening a door.
Speaker 4: This Paul guy is just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: That's not the same. Look at this, that's not the same. She's red. I've got a maroon, dark crimson, dark brown crimson. This Paul guy. Get it off with there, Ryan, get it off unsigned Actually it's Tanbier. Is it just me? But if you have an issue with the Sadines, maybe you should give yourself a look in the mirror because you're the problem. Yeah, rumored rift.
Speaker 4: Between Peterson and the twins. If I'm Petterson, I am talking to the twins every day I am in Vancouver and saying, hey, guys, how can I get better? How can I get better? Name one guy that can't get along with the Sadin Twins, Name one everybody. They're just the most unbelievable professional hockey players on and off the ice. And this guy had a problem with them.
Speaker 1: Not good. Yeah, and they've stuck around Vancouver.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they're doing a great job of developing the kids. The Seden Twins are just an absolute beautiful fine for the city of Vancouver and the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Is it just me who emits it more light?
Speaker 4: Donnie when he sees his nineteen ninety four buddy Captain Knuck or Dolly Wall when Travis Green or Millstein are on the show, Drew Peoples in caris doel who Drew Peoples? Anyways, don he's ripping us for you like in the ninety four team, and me like in Travis Greens are buddy of mine, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not, and you like eighty two three of us like I'll admit it. Ninety four is my favorite asher of the Canucks eight and Ryan likes his twenty eleven guys, and I have respect for all of them, but not ninety four. This is a great memories, a great time in my life. Not that this isn't a great time. Travis Green's buddy of mine. I'm not gonna deny it. Elvis had two TVs in the basement of Graceland. Put that in your pipe and watch it. Man O in Chilliwac talking about what does he have in your Ryan has three television No, he has to me. What's it called the man cape? Yeah, and his man cave Elvis had. You're familiar with the expression. Man, He's not a man cave guy. I sent my couch in the living room. I watch.
Speaker 4: I don't need a man cave. I don't need five TVs. I sit in the couch and then I watched. I'm surprised Elvis only had two. Elvis had two teams in the basement of Graceland. Graceland is on my bucket list.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the size of TVs back then, the heaviness, the wo like I mean, I have three screens. The screens wouldn't have been there, but but the but the came back, and then you entertainsist console with the turntable. Yeah, and the radio. Oh yeah, like like oak right, you got a shot there.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to see if they's being a TV in the eighties done. It took like three four guys.
Speaker 1: They were heavy. They needed a pit crew. The what are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: This is this is apparently this is Elvis's TV room at Graceland's Graceland basement.
Speaker 1: He had one time. Okay, back then though, that would have been a big deal. Isn't the couch facing the wrong way? Yeah? Yeah, well no, no, I guess I guess because under there are other things going. Is that a monkey on the table? Yes? Yeah, Do you not see the monkey jumping on the bed? Yeah? Yeah, okay, but why is it yellow? They like? No the monkeys? I guess the lighting is. That's three time.
Speaker 4: But he Elvis was ahead of the game Graceland. He's got three TVs going.
Speaker 1: I remember I got a thirty seven inch television that attache and it was the I thought it was like I was the King. What about this old like projector? Oh they've never really had a good pure God. No, you go over to somebody big, but they go over to somebody's house and they'd be like, look at this. I'm like yeah, right as they play their laser disc. What else we gotta break? We got we gotta break.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna break.
Speaker 1: Uh well, wrap up the show in the week of the poll question next Donnie delay the team I check. The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TVs, twenty local and domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour for four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop, with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and important products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal, there are countless reasons to come, sit, and stay at the Wattling Dog. Yes Trevor Lennon is still president foring to be alive being played on a regular basis, said Rogers, which try hasn't happened yet yet. We're gonna keep requesting it. Right. It's a great chong.
Speaker 4: It gets your moving dog pull Rick Ran get her up the waddling dog up pup poll question very simple today, Ryan, get her up the waddling dog. Pop pole question. Who's gone the Stanley Cup? Oilers Panthers? Fifty eight percent say Panthers for the older is eleven hundred votes ready.
Speaker 1: It's hoping it's popping on a Friday, just before you get the photos. So quick. WHL news. Okay, what do you got? Oh? No, WHL you mean?
Speaker 4: I tell you said, w l A. This is a shocker, guy, is w Just listen to me. Victoria Cougar's no.
Speaker 1: The RG the Royals.
Speaker 4: Victoria Royals. I remember the Cougars. Grant Fear was there Mel Bridgeman way back in the day. Listen, Victoria has just lost. Oh yeah, the Cougars were great.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: North Dakota has landed. Uh to Victoria players, this is big news in the world the hockey. Trevor mentioned it about these young kids going to the NCAA from junior hockey, Donny Keaton Nverhoff and also Cole Reshni who who you know? This is the stars? Their stars, this is this is Victoria's top four, top defenseman going next year to the University of North Dakota. And boy is this hurt? Does this hurt Victoria when you lose two guys of this caliber? Do you know that Verrhoff is going to be a top five pick in the NHL Draft next year? Cole Reshani's gonna be a first round pick.
Speaker 1: So people talk about him maybe being available for the conduction.
Speaker 4: In the Canucks at fifteen. This is pretty shocking news and not a good day if you're a Victoria Royals fan at all at all. Photos, No, no, I got a happy birthday. I gotta get in Matt the Carpenter, Donnie from Alicia and THEO big fans of the show. Matt the Carpenter, good guy. You're not gonna find a better guy, big fan of the show.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday? Yeah? Now photos or right? Where are we going? Something from the w LA. No, this is the Bay of Fundy Fundy Yeah, sorry, what the heck was that? You've had a great show this our good pow Goose hold on the Goose on his Canadian tour. Yeah, in the Bay of Fundy, Yeah, the Bay of what the hope you got some Fundy?
Speaker 5: Thanks for helping me out here, you doo h visit to the Hope Well Rocks at the Bay of Fundy.
Speaker 1: And he says as he walked down to the beach. Yes, as he walked down to the beach, another couple at D and D merch on. Oh wow, sweeping the nation, sweep in the nation. Yeah, they're from the Okanagan and like him, they drove from BC on this trip.
Speaker 4: So so what province are they in right now? Where's the where's the Bay of Fundy? I don't know, Hopwell Rocks Maritimes, Maritimes. So he's at the on the beach and he runs into another person with D and D.
Speaker 1: There you go, Oh, look at this. It's clicking in. Look at this. So they get a goose. It separates Nova, Scotia and New Brunswick. Ah yeah, wow, Yeah, what a great photo. It's just unbelievable what Goose has been doing for us. We really appreciate it. One other photo very quickly, my cousin Jack my cousin Jack works at same on Foods and Walnut Grove.
Speaker 4: Look what was on in the way and the lucxtroom today for his break on Foods watching us.
Speaker 1: Yeah at Walnut Grove. Isn't this Elvis's basement right by my house Foods? Does he control the music?
Speaker 5: No, he's only been on the job a little while, so you can't touch the music right pecking order, the music can't.
Speaker 1: Touch the TV. Holloway, can you can touch the music? He remembers that exactly music I've saved on. Is just what's happening with the w l A. Rick quickly stop?
Speaker 4: Donnie said w l A stock No he didn't, okay, I thought he said.
Speaker 1: W l A Okay. Well, we've left a lot of submissions in the Delaney's arts and didn't get to them. We apologize for that fun show again, our thanks to all our guests, including Trevor Linnon. Have great weekend, folks. That's it for today and this week and the half of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and check I'm donning you up to date in the world of sports,