Speaker 1: Have you checked it out yet? Arrow dot Net twenty different podcasts one place. One of the most talked about ones street Speak with Alexa from Amazon. Yeah, you gotta check it out. It's AI technology meets somebody who's actually lived it and oh Alexa isn't as perfect as what you think she is. Street Speak with Alexa and Clarence only on Aro dot net, aarr Oe dot net. Enjoy your exploration. Hey, what's going on today? Let's do some pod crashing. Episode number four seventy seven is with Daniel Scheffler from the podcast Wayfinder. How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Excellent? Tell you so well.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited to share a conversation with you because you're getting to do what so many of us would like to do. But for some reason, we keep hitting these walls, and I don't understand why we can't just let go and just go on a wayfair kind of a journey.
Speaker 2: Well, I tell you what it is besides the finance components, so let's leave that out for a second. But I think people feel like it's daunting because it needs all this planning. But I have been trying to encourage people to just start traveling in their own city, in their own state, in their own whatever small region, and then it starts to feel less daunting, and then you can expand it out of state, out of country, and perhaps intergalactic. I mean that's possible now too. So I think people worry that there's there's these unknowns. People worry about the unknown, right they think, what if this happens? But if you change your mind and just says, and you can tell yourself, what if this magical adventure happens, then little by little something wayfindery will find you.
Speaker 1: But see, I'm so inspired by this wayfinder attitude and journey. And the reason why is because I've sat with many medicine men who always tell me how they use mile markers to, you know, kind of show them what the path is. They didn't have a map, they only had these places of discovery and that's where and they would document, you know, how they would make their way into a brand new day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I was in Kenya a week ago, spending time with the Samburu people's tribe in the northern part of Kenya, and one night we were sitting under the stars and there was a sort of distant thunderstorm. So some lightning coming through the clouds, and the stars had opened up in the Milky Way, and the elder tribal member started to talk to me about how they had been navigating by the stars and how even today they know exactly where everything is. It was magical, like because I'm so used to going on my phone and using it to navigate, and it reminded me to trust a sort of something more primal in me, something more, something less digital, something more analogue, to just kind of navigate your world. Well.
Speaker 1: See, that's what I love about traveling and being in r V is the fact that I document everything in journals and so'll and I'll go into these journals and I'll see what we did the last time, What did we learn from this? But when you talk about, you know, looking up at that sky and stuff, maybe it's because I'm from Montana, but looking up into the sky to find out where.
Speaker 3: You are in May, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, there's just something up there that is constantly speaking to every one of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're totally right. We forget. I think it's because we're so we live such digital lives because everything is on the phone, and there's a part of my travel inspiration that I try and hand to people. And I'm working on a book at the moment, and this is what the book will be about, and it's put the phone down. It's okay to get lost. Look, there's a moment where you get lost and it's dangerous, but for the most part, you're getting lost and it's magical if you have the right attitude. But if you follow your phone the entire time, we lose the ability to navigate. Right. We become android androids, we become robotic. And I know for myself, I'm going to Korea this week. I know that there are a couple of places I really want to see and soul, But for the most part, I'm just going to walk. You know. I pack comfortable shoes, I pack some sunglasses, and I'm off. I don't I sort of try and get off the map and off the phone, and then that is when the adventure happens. But I understand that for most people this is hard because we're so used to the support of well now it's ai right, like Lord, it's there all the time, not it is helping us. But at the same time, you need to know when to put that down. You need to know that the adventure is not on the phone, because you can do that at home, the adventures right in front of you.
Speaker 1: One thing that I'm very much afraid of is the Google Calendar, because that is a map that really because for me to put today together, I actually start almost a week and a half ago.
Speaker 3: And that's just the way that it is.
Speaker 1: And so when you speak of this open land, this free I can go out and look at the stars and stuff I'm going, But how would my Google calendar handle this.
Speaker 3: I'm not the only one.
Speaker 2: I Am going to come and take your phone away from you and just challenge you and come ride with you in an R and B and see where we end up. That's my challenge to you.
Speaker 1: Well, it's usually in a place where there's gonna be wild animals, because I am an animal activist in the way that I don't know if you've ever read Ted Andrews, but I believe animals speak to every one of us every day, and if we are not listening, we are missing out on a major page in history.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know, my dog talks to me all the time. I love it so I can relate, you know, when I was in Safari in Kenya, last week, I did see a lot of animal It was that's saw the Big Five and it's just magical. But I also saw animals I've never seen before. There's some there's a small cat to settled like it sort of looks like a large house cat, a very large, very lean, very mean house cat. And I sort of communicated with this cat in a weird way. We spent time together. I was on the game drive vehicle, but I was just sort of quietly sitting there. And then my guide said to me, you know, it's very rare to see those. There are two of them in the MASSI Maha, and I saw them both and it was interesting, Like I when I go to Africa, I was born in South Africa, there is a sort of homecoming and a part of us that wants to commune with animals, that wants to understand that's something primal in us, and we lose touch with that, not just because we live in the city, but also just the way we live our lives. Right, Like, there's something so magical to sit at a watering hole watching the elephants play and communicate with each other, and you know, spread have them mocked bath and spray water and there's something that we're missing in our day to day life where we're not doing enough of this.
Speaker 1: But you know what's really interesting about this, Daniel, is that your podcast has given us the opportunity to live vicariously through you and so and as we listen to each episode, we're kind of soothing that little itch that we've got to be with animals and stories and traveling and things like that. But at the same time, you also challenge us get your little thinking noggin in order here and start planning your own journey.
Speaker 2: I think so. There is a Safari episode coming in season two which I think people will appreciate, especially you if you're an activist. It's coming from someone very smart and interesting to talk about conservation and new ways of understanding conservation. Conservation is such a complicated topic, especially in Africa, but the episode's going to be great. But yeah, I do feel like I most people cannot travel for various reasons, but I encourage people to just try and start small. Just try and travel in your own town and then in your own state. But it is magic to be able to go somewhere and to lose yourself in order to find yourself. That's the goal, right, Like we want to grow and travel is a travel like a it's a magical way of doing it, like it offers it to you so on a silver platter. It's like ready for the taking. You know, people go to Morocco, they have been to this, to this exotic as Americans would say, exotic place. The smells, the hot air balloon rides, the the you know, snowball sandboarding, and the dunes, going into the soup, and suddenly you're changed as a person, like you cannot remain the same version of yourself if you go to these places and open yourself up.
Speaker 1: Please do not move. There's more with Daniel Scheffler coming up next. The name of his podcast is Wayfinder. We're back with Daniel Scheffler. You know what, I'm so jealous of something that you said earlier about having this relationship with your dog and that your dog speaks to you and stuff, and then you're talking about traveling and storytelling and the scent of the air. I wish that I could have the what a dog does inside their nose, because we are missing out on so much history by not smelling the ground that we walk on. And I know that sounds gross, but I think that we're missing out on so much stuff. When you talk about the scent in the air of Morocco.
Speaker 2: You're totally right. You know, my dog I live in Madrid now and she goes to the park every day with her friends, and on the way she smells. And my husband and I were talking about this the other day. We were like, she's smelling more intensely here. It's the crystal's longer history. Here, She's like smelling back to where the Arabs founded this town, and then to the Spanish. She smells the Inquisition. It is magical. She knows that I'm coming home. She can smell me before I arrive. There is something kind of crazy about that. Although she does travel with me a lot, she's a travel dog. On dog is like, isn't that the most sacred, sacred thing. I'm like, I love my husband, but my god, the dog.
Speaker 1: My wife and I are convinced that you are a modern daytime traveler. Do you feel like you're wearing those slippers?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, why not the ruby slippers? Yeah? I do. I do feel that way. I'm forever on the road, and there is something that does feel sort of crazy and chrontimistic, antigodness, oh no, what's the world and chromistic anachronistic to me that I sometimes go back to places that have never seen a white person, Like I spent some time in Benning recently to go see the voodoo, and these people had never seen a white person. And then I go to places like Japan and I feel like I am in the future, right, Like you see how things operate there, and then you're like, am I in the future. I'm going to soul this I told you this weekend, and it's like, you know, these these countries have a very futuristic perspective, so it does feel like that. And then you know, I go to Africa and you're in a tribal village in rural Kenya, and it does feel like some thing thousands of years old. So yeah, I guess, I guess I haven't thought about time travel in that way, but it just feels like it.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that your podcast offers us, and this this is just strange old me, mister Powart, guy who's been writing all these years, is that I believe that you're going to show me the needle in the haystack, because you go to places that I know where that needle probably is, but I'm never going to make it there, but I'm going to rely on you to take me there.
Speaker 2: Well, that is years and years of practice. Find it the needle, or perhaps I put the needle then in the first place, right, you know, I you know, I think it's a As a professional traveler, it is my It is my gift to people to make it easier for them because like I get to go and I never go to a place once. I can go as many times as I want. It's literally my job. But a lot of people they like, this is my one time. I'm going to whatever London and I want to give you the best of London, not necessarily the touristic things that you will find by yourself. Walk the streets of London. You'll have an adventure. But trust me, I've spent enough time in London to take you and to show you where to go where that needle is going to prick you in a way that you will love, love, love, And that's the role for the show. This is the method that we're sort of employing, is that this way find a way of seeing the world is like, yeah, listen to us will help you find the things that you're not necessarily expecting.
Speaker 1: But you know what, though, Daniel, is the fact that in listening to the podcast or the one thing that in my heart is I feel like that you could predict a weather storm before it gets here, because you're so experienced with the atmosphere of all things in the universe that you're able to hear it, watch it, study it, and go. You know, I think it's gonna rain in about an hour and a half. I just feel something that I felt maybe in Kenya. I think it's gonna happen here again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're so you're showing the money. I was in Kenya and I said too. I was spending time at the mess I Warriors, some of the elders, and they literally can tell you exactly when it's going to rain. And I didn't ask. I asked the man. There were some big rains in Kenya when I was there last week, and I did ask this gentleman. I was like, can you just impart this unto me? Can you just paint this unto me so that I also have this Still, I think the thing that I can foretell, perhaps I cannot foretell the weather. But I can foretell that when when there's about to be a good time. That is a skill that I've had, Like I know which when the party's good and the party's not. So perhaps that is is truth telling.
Speaker 1: So then how how are you going into each podcast? Because I'm a podcast writer as well as producer, and that's one of the things, you know, building that storyline, the consistency of you moving us forward. What is that like for you to go from actually living it now you got to tell the story? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Right, that is that is the skill. I mean, I have been doing this for two decades, you know, I write for the New York Times. I have a little I have a little experience, But no, I think it's like people are interested. If you are interesting and interested off the battle as one, you know, I think that that's the rule. I also make sure that I'm friends with people that are both interesting and interested. So I think the north star we have for this show and my producers are wonderful, is that we're curious. Right, We're adding curiosity and we're moving the narrative forward by by also being curious. So we invite guests that are telling you things that perhaps you wouldn't know, like I just had this wonderful author on She's had a she has a great book that just published last year, and she has spent her sort of last few decades in the Stans so Kazakhstan to Afganistan and she Opekistan. And the episode is on Ozbekistan and summer cont and she talks about it in a way that gives you a little history, so you have a little context, but it also allows you to start uncovering in your own mind the sort of that I have prejudice about the Silk Roads. What do I really know? What do I want to understand? And how can I go there? And I think that's the goal we've got with the show, right, So perhaps the Silk Roads is a hard trip. It's far, there are no direct flights from America. But if you want to do something really special, you can travel with your mind's eye with Joanna, who's want the interviewee. And then perhaps when you're thinking about a trip and you're trying to be really adventurous, this is the one you'll pick. You know. Mexico's great. I love it. I go all the time, and I think it's one of the best countries in the planet, especially the food and the humans. They're wonderful, but there's also thank you stand waiting for you, you know. So I think that's what I'm trying to do with the show, that what we're trying to do with the show is kind of get people out of a comfort zone and push them to sort of open themselves up in order to feel something. Travels should feel something other ones. It's a holiday.
Speaker 1: You got to come back to this show anytime in the future. Twenty minutes is never.
Speaker 3: Going to be enough. With you, Daniel, please come back.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having a minute.
Speaker 1: You be brilliant. Any day you be brilliant.
Speaker 2: Thank you sir, Thank you so