Speaker 1: Weary. We welcome to our last film Evils. I love them.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, and welcome to the Culture Cast X, the Projection Booth of the Projection Booth X Culture Cast whichever floats your boat. I am one of your hosts, Cristachue of the Culture Casts, and I'm joined by my good friend all the way from a shopping cart barreling down a hill somewhere out in the deserts of California, somewhere your friend of mine, the host of the Projection Booth, Mike White.
Speaker 3: Why is it going to be crunchy peanut butter?
Speaker 4: Why's it got to be diarrhea?
Speaker 2: That was the question that I was asking, because diarrhea's funnier, duh. On this episode of the Projection Booth Culture Cast Crossover, which is normally when we talk about new movies, we're gonna be talking about a new movie, or at least half of a new movie, folks, because on this episode we're talking about Jackass, best and last, the most recent and according to Johnny Knoxville several times in the film, the last Jackass movie that we will ever see.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I believe him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you believe him, but we may talk about it, but yeah, we're gonna be talking about twenty twenty six's Jackass, Best and last. So once again, this film is directed by Jeff Tremaine, who has more or less, I believe, directed every single one of these films from the first one until this one. He was also directly involved with the production.
Speaker 4: Of the show.
Speaker 2: It is a show, a movie based on the show Jackass, which at this point is just movies based on movies because the show has not been on since what the mid two thousands, ran for like four, four or five seasons. And yeah, this is once again a stunt escapade film with the Jackass guys. But unlike the last couple films, this one is half of a clip show, half of a new movie because we are well unfortunately unable to feature some people in this movie because they have passed away or no longer work in the Jackass kind of swear of people. So, Mike, I am very curious thoughts on Jackass as a fan of the franchise, because I know we both are obviously or we wouldn't be talking about this, and thoughts on this final film.
Speaker 5: Well, I never watched the Jackass TV show. I really. I went to the first Jackass movie under protest. I was my friend Dion Conflict was in Detroit hanging out with my wife and I and he just kept talking about how much he loved the Jackass movie. We needed something to do and it was playing at a dollar show, so we went against my better judgment, and I absolutely loved it. I had such a good time watching that first Jackass film, and I went back.
Speaker 3: And I did watch some of the episodes. It was actually a little tough to.
Speaker 5: Find good at good quality versions of those episodes. I wasn't going to buy the DVDs. I'm sure they were put out on DVD at some point, but watched a lot of those. I never watched What the Wild Boys or any of the like offshoots of those kind of things. But I have gone to see every single one of these Jackass movies and have even watched the zero point five versions that they've released since then. So I'm yeah, I'm down for these movies. I was a little disappointed in this one because you've been saying fifty percent new, fifty percent old. I think you're being a little generous. It feels what's more like forty percent new if even that much, I'm curious somebody's going to break it down for somebody's going to do like a mathematical percentage of old clips to new clips. But yeah, it felt like I was seeing a lot of stuff that I've seen before.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Christ So, like yourself, I did not watch the Jackass series when it was on. It was on from U two thousand to two thousand and one, which is crazy three very short season. I did watch it in college, though I did have it on DV in college, and so we would watch it in college, and there are some bits from the show that are still some of the funniest bits, in my opinion, that they've ever done. And so when the movies came out, because the first movie came out in two thousand and two, the second movie came out in two thousand and six, right because right as I was sixteen. So I don't think that was the one I saw in theaters. I think the first one I saw in theaters was Jackass three D, which I think is still my favorite one. It still has some of the funniest bits. Jackass three D is the one that has I believe Jackass three D is the one that has the giant hand, which is one of the funnier things. I mean, I know, why would you hold that fucking soup? I still never understand why Bam Margera, of all people, was like, yea, let me just hold the soup. Hey, what the fly? And fuck were you thinking? Cause it's like, what do you think? Really think that they want tomato soup?
Speaker 4: Back there? They're not being around These guys must.
Speaker 2: Be like have to be on edge constantly because you just don't know, especially when you're on set for the movie. I think Eric Andre has said something to that effect when he talked about being in Jackass Forever. It's like you can never be on like you can never be like calm because there's always something going on. And again, they get really good footage obviously, but a lot of it is really carefully planned and curated and choreographed because Johnny Knoxville is, you know, the master of ceremonies. He's the pt Barnum of this group, as it were. But I am probably being generous because I will say for me, and I'm not a big fan of Jackass number two, primarily because it's the one that's like really gross, like really gross. That's the one where I think, uh, Dave England eats like a like a cow patty. It's either a cow patty or a horse patty. He eats it and he just like eats it and it's just fucking disgusting. That's also the one where Steve O I think, is drinking horseges, which is also fucking discussed like this is. That's just really gross. And so the second one is my least favorite one, or at least it was up until now. I can't even in good conscience suggest people go see this in theaters unless you're a big fan of Jackass, because so much of this is just in other movies or on the internet already, and that that's a real bummer for me as someone who likes Jackass as much as I do, because again, like I said, Jackass three is genuinely a movie I will put on sometimes and just enjoy because it has some really funny moments, some funny sketches, and some funny like one liners that they say to one another, and Johnny Knoxville's energy is always always infectious is as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there were moments while I was watching this documentary though, well, and I'm calling it a documentary. I mean, what else would you call it.
Speaker 4: It is a show.
Speaker 2: It's half of a documentary and half of a new movie. It is a clip show.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like I you know what it feels like. It feels like.
Speaker 2: Jackass Forever and a half because, like you said, those half and here's the thing, I love those half movies. Some of those half movies are better than the movies that they actually are, the halfs of. I'm thinking of two and a half and one and a half specifically, this is like four and a half. It really is like there's so little here in ways of like new things that I'm disappointed, but at the same time, like what are you gonna do? Like this is what they put out.
Speaker 5: When they started the movie with a clip that they couldn't show on MTV where Johnny's shooting himself, I was like, Okay, this is great, They're going to do a documentary about Jackass. And then they did the opening and everything. I love the opening with that kind of Jamroqui type floor that they're doing, and then they do like a montage and I'm just like I'm still prepared. I'm like, okay, a montage of old clips. Okay, this is cool, you know, playing the classic theme and everything, and then they go into the new one with the robot giving the bricktil exam the colonoscopy, and I was just like, okay, well this is new stuff. And then they kind of go back into old stuff and I was like, wait, wait, what is this movie? And I no one had said to me this is a documentary about Jackass. But while I was watching this movie, I started getting the feeling why wasn't this a documentary about Jackass? Like this is the time while most of these guys are still alive. They have no problem showing you know, clips with Ryan Done, they have no problem showing clips with Bam. But it's like, why don't you just do a documentary about this phenomenon? I mean, has that already happened? Have they done a documentary? Because I'm sure they have tons of clips that they can't show and things that they can revisit and talk about how well or non well they went. I would I think that that would be a really nice way to go out rather than this kind of half hearted, frankly half hearted thing.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 5: I have fun watching this movie, absolutely, I had a blast watching this movie. What I recommend it to other people? Yeah, probably not like you're saying. I mean, I'll wait until the actual four point five maybe comes out. But I was just like, yeah, all right, you know, like I kept saying, like I've seen this before, I've seen this, but have I seen this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I saw this before. And then it just made me remember some of the other things, Like I kept wondering, like why isn't Chris doing more stuff? Like he does that great half naked or sorry, fully naked high jump, but it's like other than that, it's like, yeah, he's Bunny the lifeguard here and there, but it's like he's barely doing anything. The one woman that's in the team, I don't remember her doing much of anything at all other than in the opening credits getting the electrical shock on her tongue. But I'm like, why is she even here? Like I don't see everybody represented equally, and I don't know, maybe I'm just of course, you want your Steve, oh, you want Johnny like I on Chris, and I on Chris doing some naked dancing, ripping off the clothes, ripping off the pants and doing his dance. You know, like, if you're gonna do the hits, give me more of the hits.
Speaker 4: So I misspoke.
Speaker 2: There is no one and a half because Johnny Knoxville said there will not be a half for this movie either this is one. Are the only ones that are not getting half movies? Four has a half one already, it's on Netflix. But I I think I watched it, but I couldn't tell you if I remember it or not.
Speaker 5: It has a half because this isn't it?
Speaker 4: No, this is five?
Speaker 5: This is five? Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow? Ye?
Speaker 3: Did I miss a movie?
Speaker 2: Forever is the one that had Eric Andre Wow? That came out in twenty twenty two. Yeah, I saw that one in either see it. That's the one where Knoxville gets shot out of the cannon.
Speaker 4: With the wings.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think I wear the silence of.
Speaker 4: The Lambs segment in this film comes from for sure.
Speaker 5: Then I did see that, which I was just like, why tell me the difference between the sequence that.
Speaker 2: That there is not one there is to ask, I know what you're asking, and the danger room or the escape room in this and the one in that nothing actually the one and that's better. I can't believe they showed both in this movie, like, don't remind me of the one with the rattlesnake, which was so goddamn funny. Just the fact that they got bam in that room with a snake and then they closed the door will will never not be funny to me.
Speaker 4: But absolutely, yeah, like no, like, why would you show that in?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I'm okay, so for sure. Then I did see four. For whatever reason, I'd forgotten the four existed. I thought this was for I was even getting in an argument at work today that this was number four all right, so okay, fucking a number five.
Speaker 3: So I guess they.
Speaker 4: All kind of together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, because when you're like, oh, yeah, four point five, I was like, no, no, this is point five. So yeah, this is not not a full movie. And then I made the mistake. At a personal note, I had told my wife that we were going to see this at one, and then she had a handyman come out over the weekend to do some repairs and put together this letter that I had bought a few years ago and had still never put together. So she was going to do this nice surprise. I was going to take the cat to the vet. She was supposed to have the handyman over here have everything together by the time I got back, and then we could go to the one o'clock and then I come back, the handyman still isn't here. They don't show up until like one o'clock itself. So I ended up buying tickets for this because the app for my movie theater does not do refunds very well, if ever at all. So I ended up paying twice for this movie. So I rather than calling the theater and talking with a human being, I just said, fuck it, I'll buy tickets again. So I paid double for this movie. So I'm like quadriple ripped off by this one. And I mean again, I had a great time watching this, but I was just like, Okay, yeah, I've seen this stuff before. Guys like just give me new stunts or show me more stuff that from the TV show that I couldn't see before. Was the Brad Pitt's stuff. Had that aired before?
Speaker 3: It must have?
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it was on the It was on the TV show.
Speaker 2: But I want to say it was like in the second It was either in the second or third season, because it was once the show kind of became that like phenomenon where they were you know, getting trying to get people to ban MTV to ban.
Speaker 4: It and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Like that that all was after they became you know, kind of famous, cause again, like they got away with stuff in the first season of the show that they could not have gotten away with in the second season because they were recognizable by the time.
Speaker 4: The second and third season you know, rolled around it.
Speaker 2: In a lot of ways, The early show had a lot of like man on the Street stuff that the movies never could really get into because these guys are so famous now, especially Johnny Knoxville, which is why if they ever wanted to have Johnny Knoxville in anything other than like a fiction role in a fictional film, he has to be in that ridiculous bad grandpa makeup just so they can have him doing the things he used to do. Because even in Jackass the movie, he.
Speaker 5: Doesn't really need the makeup much anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, that's he's still a good looking guy. I feel like Johnny knox was one of those guys. I'm like, he's a good looking guy with his he looks good with the gray hair he does.
Speaker 5: No, he's a very handsome man, and I think he's actually gotten more handsome as he's gotten older. I agree, Yeah, I think Pontis is really looking good.
Speaker 3: I mean he's always been.
Speaker 4: To talk about looking good.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's always been a good looking man, but I think he really looks good in here. Steve O looks pretty damn decent for his age. I just feel bad about his voice. Man, Like his voice has always been rough, but it's like it's gotten worse with age.
Speaker 2: I have a really close friend that can do a very spot on Steve O impression. Add it's may stay though it's that mine's not that good. His is way better. But that like, I don't know what you would call that, Like his voice has always it's always sounded like that, but now.
Speaker 5: It's it's wonderful for him to talk, you know, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I will tell you of the group of people I am, it's sad because Ryan Doune passing away limited the group one person, and then everything with Bam limited it again. So nothing past the third movie has ever really felt like Jackass. It's you know, it's like The Mummy three where they recast Rachel Weiss as Maria Bellahok, It's I wouldn't say it's like Iron Man two because Terrence Howard was never going to get out of Iron Man acting like that, he was never going to get into the MCU acting like that, apparently so and no one was I think sad to see him go, other than maybe him. But this is one of those things where I guess, I guess we're the Beg still the Beg's when one of the brothers passed away. Yes, they were, but again, like how many people have to be left for this to still be the same thing?
Speaker 4: The last thing you want?
Speaker 2: And this is kind of the problem with the last movie that this movie again, like you said with the with the female member of Jackass, it's not this is the this is the ship of theseus question? Right, Like if you replace all the pieces, is it's still Jackass? No, it's in fact not, because, like you've just alluded to, each of the members of the group has a distinct personality and they each brought something different to the show. Especially I'm a fan of Wild Boys because Chris Pontius has always been one of my favorites, not just because of Party Boy, which I you know, is one of like the most early two thousands goddamn things you can ever think.
Speaker 3: Love party Boy.
Speaker 2: Well, it's still one of the funniest fucking things ever, just ripping your pants off and just harassing people in a thong like okay, and Chris Ponius does yeah, he does it with such just like Gusto. And one of my favorite scenes in this entire movie is Knoxville going, so you know how in the Olympics they used to perform naked, Well, we want you to do this high jump naked, and Panie's just goes okay, and Knoxville's face is just like, yeah, no shit, Like I asked pon Is to do something naked, of course he will, like what it's the look Knoxville makes on it with his faces. Why did I even have to ask? Of course you're going. But absolutely, it's just not Jackass anymore. And I think that when they added all the new people in in the last movie, it's still worked against all like all odds, it's still worked like the last movie, I think, still relatively decent, but yeah, this movie, I think it really like it goes to show that they really have to pad this movie out with the good times of Jackass, not just because the people that are in some of those clips are no longer with us or no longer work with them. But also because it's just that's when Jackass was Jackass. If there was one more movie, it would be sad. This is verging on sad, it kind of is. And that's sad for me because I don't think anyone in this movie would want either one of us fans of the franchise to say that.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: And yeah, like they have to give up at some point because these guys are starting to be senior citizens. I mean, honestly, the them, starting with the once they get into the movie proper, starting with the whole thing about it's very important for you men to get checked and all this stuff. It's like, yeah, these guys are of that age. They should be getting their colonoscopy every ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johnny Knoxville is They say it in the movie forty nine years old. And man, I you know, for as much as I may not be a fan of some of this movie, this movie contains the most horrifying thing Johnny Knoxville has ever done. When he's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that was not a good enough shot with that bull. Let's steal a take two. You just know that something bad is going to happen, And man, I thought him getting his shit rocked by the bull. And was it three or four where he's doing the thing where he's roller skating, you know, right, roller skating in a buffalo herd and he gets each shit from the buffalo.
Speaker 4: This is way worse.
Speaker 2: Like he's his head hits the ground so hard that I was like, he's got to be I know he's not dead because I've seen him on talk shows stuff recently, but how the fuck does guy not die?
Speaker 4: Okay, because it's Johnny Fucky Knoxvill That's why.
Speaker 5: Oh I thought with that particular thing that you're talking about with the bull scene, I honestly thought that he was pranking the rest of the team because all of them are are in this like separate cage right right, and he's just like, oh yeah, we gotta go again. We got to go again, and he's like building it up and all this kind of stuff. I thought for sure that that they were going to have a wall of that cage drop and then like three or four bulls get released all at the same time. That's honestly what I thought was going to happen. So when he got rocked by that bull the second time. I was like, oh, well, where's the joke, Like this is just him getting hit, Like you should definitely be pranking the rest of these guys who are all standing around, just like, oh Johnny oh man, all you know, like do something, you know, give it a subpersive and fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like they used to.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's I know it. And that's the thing like that. The only thing that redeems that scene is how hard of a hit he takes. Oh yeah, because to your point, like they've like I just said, they've literally already done this with a Bison and Johnny Knoxville.
Speaker 5: I just feel like they did that whole thing with the teacher totters right yeah yeah, And they even show like a little clip of that at one point. I was like, Oh, that was a really good bit, you know, because the more you you do layers on top of it. Because there's just him doing I'm going to do a magic trick and he's standing in front of that curtain. I thought that curtain was going to fall, like something was going to play into the magic, because the magic doesn't play into the bowl. Sorry that I'm over examining this, but the magic doesn't play.
Speaker 4: Aga they went into all this when they were thinking of these ideas.
Speaker 5: You know, not real Oh yeah, absolutely, because I'm just like, well, yeah, i mean, look at how elaborate they you were talking about the escape room stuff, super elaborate, you know, or the whole thing that they're doing with the silence of the lambs. Thing like, not only is it you know, we're setting out this thing with the snake and all this stuff, but then we're doing the lights out, then we do the twist with the silence of the lambs, the vision goggles, and then you got fucking podcast in the background with the junk time behind his legs, wearing the robe and doing the Jamie Gumm dance. And I'm just like, that's where the brilliance comes in. So just being hit by a bull doesn't cut it when it comes to this stuff.
Speaker 2: No, And it's that's the thing about Jackass that was always more interesting for me is the subversiveness of what they were doing and not just it's kind of like the Sopranos of it all. Like the Sopranos is never about people getting killed. It was always about everything else, And for me, Jackass was the same thing. Like it's never really been about the skits or the death defying acts as much as just how subversive that is in what they're doing, and like filming themselves doing it, and the levels to which they're putting their bodies on the line to be entertaining. It's like, I mean, it's you know, it's modern day stunts, but done in a like really small way. Like Steve you know, Steve O is sticking a fucking ping pong ball of his asshole and like shooting it out of his asshole, Like I I what, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 3: Was pretty lame as well.
Speaker 4: Don't get it, like what's the joke?
Speaker 5: Right, But some of the simplest things can be the funniest.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, and they often are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like one of my favorite things was I think it was in the First movie where they just cut somebody and they think they show the clip in the opening credits. I think it might be Steve O. Like he's in another room. He comes running and he jumps on a trampoline and just bashes himself into a ceiling fan. That was fucking funny. And it's like that's just a real quick, like one off type of thing, and they will do those like little jokes, and sometimes those little jokes, as as the connective material, are like so fricking funny. And I just love those things where it's like I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is whatever, and just do it, you know, like it's very quick, you know, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Steve O's gonna struggle trying to get this ping pong ball out of his ass, and like, yeah, we understand that I got it, Steve O. You don't have to explain the joke to me that you swallowed this and now yeah, and I did like the one guy who's just like, well, the real trick would have been for you to shove it up your ass and I'm puking out.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, Dave, Yeah, Dave England is hey, Dave England always has some very funny one liners.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It just yeah, I think to your point, it's just it's lost a little bit of the magic. It's like, I wouldn't say it's like they've run out of ideas, because there are some funny bits in this movie, like when they play Twister while I'm laxing it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm surprised it's taking him this long to do that.
Speaker 2: It's reminiscent of one of the other skits that I think is quite possibly It's one of the few things that every time I've.
Speaker 4: Watched it it makes me gag.
Speaker 2: Is the sweatsuit cocktail where he gets the sweat out of Preston Lacy's thing and Steve o drinks it and he just starts like vomiting like crazy. Like that for me, is one of the grossest things they've done. This is a close second where they're just like Steve O' is just shitting everywhere. But again, it's one of those things where it's almost like they didn't have enough of it. They didn't let the they didn't let the gag go on long enough, because sometimes again that's like the kind of tim and Eric Eric Andre of it all is the like anti humor of like letting it go on so long that it finally comes back around in the absurdity of how long it's gone on.
Speaker 4: There's none of that here either.
Speaker 2: Like the they show they show the the the one with the little people, where it's like we have God, we Man, and the little woman, and then we have the little guy, and then we have the other members of the gang, and then we have the little cops and then we have the little paramedics. It's like, that's that's what I miss from these guys, is like just being able to push and push and push and push and push. Since when did jackass stop pushing? Like that's right, you can see more subversive things on the internet. Now, maybe that's part of the problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that probably really helped kill their whole business, you know, because it is a business. They've had to think of these things and come up with all of the ins and outs of this stuff. And yeah, I mean the planning is what I really enjoyed, and just how elaborate some of these stupid things are, or like, yeah, I mean they show again, like the jet ski that takes off and goes into the hedges.
Speaker 3: That was a great bet.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's all. That's another one of it. It's again, the simplest ones are often the most funny. Like one of the ones that I genuinely I love because I love Ryan Dunn's reaction is when it gets blown up in that toilet and he goes, Man, that thing just goes. That line has stuck with me for years, as he just half covered in blue pages, that thing goes man like.
Speaker 4: Fuck.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine sitting on a toilet and having explode up my asshole like and.
Speaker 4: Again it's that's such a simple.
Speaker 2: You don't have to draw these gags out where you have people suspended as marionettes on strings and you're shooting at them with like tasers like that gas. It's barely even funny.
Speaker 4: And you know what, I.
Speaker 2: Feel bad because like this is another one of these things where it's like, I'm sure that this was like a dream come true and has nothing to do with him, because I actually like Adam Ray as a comedian of fair amount. I find him very funny. I find his crowd work funny. I find the characters that he does funny. They don't give him.
Speaker 4: Anything to do, which is such a fucking shame.
Speaker 2: Like you have a genuinely, really funny guy who's been able to in a lot of ways escape the shitty orbit of Tony Hinchcliff and the bozo pals that he kind of became famous around, but they don't give him anything to do, like compared to like Eric Andre even in the last movie, who's getting like his shit rocked constantly anytime he's on screen. Here they just have Adam Ray be the voice of the Proctologist robot and then the narrator during the Marionette sequence, which is in the lower third of the Jackass bits they've ever done.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, yeah, that was pretty disappointing. I really was hoping and for more with that robot, Like I liked his little one liners and stuff that he would do. But it was like, okay, yeah, give me something else with this thing, like put it out in the world, you know, like this was so insular when it came to just them having jokes amongst themselves. I don't think there were very many clips where they actually go out into, you know, amongst the real popular I.
Speaker 2: Don't think they can anymore, not unless you're like in pounds of makeup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 5: It was just like, hey, guys, like all of these clips where it was you know, like like you said, the.
Speaker 4: Bar or not a camera phone and fucking sight.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, I know.
Speaker 5: It's just wild, right.
Speaker 2: So my girlfriend said to me, She's like, I think my favorite thing about this clip is the fact that there's no social media about any of this, Like this existed in a time and place before people were pulling their phones out to take pictures like That's what made Jackass work is that the only way you'd ever be able to see this is by them doing it and posting it on MTV as an episode.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Now, if they're doing any of this, you're gonna have like eight million different angles, which again is to bemoan a ultimately positive thing, which is everyone having information and telephones in their hands to be able to do that, which has allowed more people to do things that are jackass adjacent to But it has made these guys kind of like the Grandpa's all standing around doing low rent stunts trying to relive the glory days, which again like it's charming, But this is that movie. This has now gotten to that point because and I wanted to ask your thoughts on this. It feels like they were on set for.
Speaker 4: Like a week. Yeah, like a fucking reek man.
Speaker 2: Compared to the other movies, which are like feel like real endeavored even you know, the third movie has a bunch of football players in it. It has like, you know, it has real people from the real world. It has a I think the third one has a bad grandpa sketch. The fourth one I think might as well. But like you said, there's just it seems so like we're just on the back lot here shooting the footage and that's that. Like okay, like what yeah, what what? Okay, You're shooting the footage in the dick House parking lot in Pomona somewhere, like okay, cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And like I said, they're already sitting down talking about like, oh yeah, we did this thing and remember this and da da da, And I'm like, just just make.
Speaker 4: Who that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just make these interviews, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think anyone would watch a Jackass documentary not expecting to see new footage because we have never seen the footage of Johnny Knoxville eating shit down the stairs in that box, which, by the way, fucking.
Speaker 4: Oh god, what in God's name?
Speaker 2: But that's my point, right, Like, again, you have a guy going down the stairs in a box that does not sound like it would be something entertaining, but yet it is one of the most entertaining things in the movie because of who it is and all that and everything else. But yeah, man, like I I don't understand why they wouldn't just do that, Like what what is the what is the reason to not I guess when, like you said, you have everyone together already, unless they did do that and we're gonna get that at some point in the future anyways, But why not what I don't know, why why do any of this without that or mention that you're doing that or have that be a like a you know, a thing that you're talking about, like we're gonna do this comprehensive jackass documentary, cause there's still footage that we haven't seen even now we're seeing that at this movie, Like there's if there's point fives of all these movies, there's point two fives of all these fucking movies as well, like there's for the people that want to see it, aka people like me and you who care about the creative process that they are engaged in, which I can't think of any other creators that have been able to do this as their creative process. There have been like segmented things that are this, but in terms of like a troop of people whose sole gimmick is being death defying dipshit circus clown stunt men, these are them in terms of the highest visibility and yet like they did, like you said, didn't think that it's pertinent to discuss that more. We just se Johnny Knoxviill crying a bunch just kind of what it boils down to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just frustrating to I mean, the closest that you get to the creative process, and this one is that clip of Bam when he's like, this is the shit I faxed over to Knoxville and it was just the drawing the stick. Heres there's this big feca and there's those little guys. It's like, Okay, do they all come like that? Like what is that? Do they have like a writer's room meeting for this?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean they probably had a writer's room and there was a box that they opened and there was just a shitload of joints in it, and they were just like listen, roughly get stoned and just come up with the stupidest, funniest things possible. I like that we get to see the clip of Steve O refusing to do the car stunt from the first movie. Like, I like those things because at this point, like there is a mythology to jackass, even if they don't want to acknowledge it, which they kind of do. Acknowledge it, like there's a mythos to this series, like there's there are character roles, there are things that have happened, there are in jokes, like you've mentioned that they re referenced several times directly and indirectly. Like I don't, I just I don't understand. It just seems like such a missed opportunity, which for Jackass is rarely ever the case. I would say, like not pulling your like pulling your punches is not something I would think Jackass would.
Speaker 4: Be, like the last thing I would think Jackass would be doing.
Speaker 3: Franklin.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, Yeah, Yeah, Like I said, I had a good time, Like it left me wanting for sure, And yeah, I really I can't recommend it.
Speaker 3: I can't say.
Speaker 5: Go pay your six dollars or thirteen dollars or however and however much I ended up paying. We don't do what I did.
Speaker 3: First off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just wait for it to be streaming, because it's really it's not even that spectacular of a thing, Like they don't have the big you know, the big moments in the movie are things that were in other movies.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I was very glad that I was able to see things like, you know, I guess one through four, but just to you know, only they were remembering one through three, but to see like the big shopping cart, to see them being chased through the neighborhood by bulls, just to see the uh, the big stunt at the I think it was at the end of one where they're going down that ramp and there's Rip Taylor out in the boat throwing the confetti and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, the end of love that I love that.
Speaker 3: That was so good.
Speaker 5: Instead this one it ends with the with the door stop being flung a couple times, Like what the hell was that?
Speaker 3: Thing?
Speaker 2: That was one of the gags from the first season of the show.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, was the fans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like one of Dave England's things. Was just like, yeah, I found it funny. But again, like you said, it's for those of us who have seen everything, which I think if the things that you like about Jackass is that frenetic pace of like just jumping to things, you would really benefit from watching the show. It's a small commitment of time. It's three seasons. Each episode is twelve minutes. It's very little time, and I think it is the best that this series ever was because it was when it was the most raw and transgressive and aggressive. Really again, like this show was being talked about at the highest levels of government and FCC. They were like trying to take this show down just because it was a bunch of bozos hurting themselves. It's like children will imitate this. Yeah, well children are stupid, of course, Yeah, but like so well adults too. You think it's just that, No, it is the children who are hurt themselves. No, adults will do the same thing. I remember my mom and dad telling me all about how terrible Jackass was when I was growing up, because they had read something about one of the skits in the show, which is Johnny Knoxville getting into a burn suit and then having stakes affixed to the city and then him jumping onto a grill and then they eat the steaks over the credits. That's fucking hilarious.
Speaker 3: That is it very funny.
Speaker 4: It's very funny.
Speaker 2: And I remember my parents telling it to me and they're like, would you watch a show like that? I remember saying yes, because it sounds fucking have.
Speaker 4: You ever seen that before? No, and still haven't.
Speaker 2: In a lot of ways, like I don't know where you would go to see that other than Jackass. And that for me is, if you are replicating the things you've already done previously, you are missing the point of your own show, which is you're doing something that's so subversive and weird that it stands alone singularly as its own thing. Like there have been people that have tried to do things like Jackass, including people that were involved in Jackass, but there is nothing like Jackass. And the problem for me with this movie is, and again I can't suggest people other than like Jackass fans period go see it is you have created a film that shows things from your other films, so you have created your own You've pointed the finger at your own obsolescence essentially and said, why would you watch this new thing when you could just go watch the old things that are clearly better?
Speaker 4: How do we know that? But we'll just show you the old things.
Speaker 2: Even like that's clip shows, man, clip shows are such a jumping of the shark, just like yeah right.
Speaker 5: I mean they used to do that all the time when on TV when I was growing up, especially Family Ties, because Michael J. Fox was out doing his movies and all these other things and it's just like, okay, you know, oh, remember remember when Michael did this, and then they would have like you know, the Tinayethers segment and all that kind of stuff, Mallory here and there, and it's just like, okay, yeah, something's going on.
Speaker 3: Why do we keep doing this? Right?
Speaker 5: And in this one it's like again, it's like, man, have they had like a real thing on camera where they talk about what was going on with Bam where they talk about what happened with.
Speaker 2: Ryan is a spam but with Ryan, Yes, I believe in one of the movies. I think in four they have something. I think there's like a dedication at the end of the movie to Ryan.
Speaker 5: I gotta go back and watch that.
Speaker 2: I for a pandemic, So I don't remember it either. I just remember that there's something in there. Because three was the last one that had all of them this. Look, let's talk about this broadly, right, When was the last time the fourth movie in a series that went past the trilogy was any good? Like contemporary examples are very bad.
Speaker 4: Indiana joneses to mind, Yeah, this is like Indiana Jones.
Speaker 2: It's like, now we have a bunch of old guys on screen who are clearly old trying to relive the glory days. These guys capture better than Indiana Jones. But the stakes here is so much lower, like so much lower than Indiana Jones. But this movie also budget of ten million dollars, box office of ten million dollars. Right, yeah, I think Will's out here. I don't think this is popular with the gen Z crowd.
Speaker 5: No, probably not, because it's pretty poletely incorrect.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know.
Speaker 2: How gen zs hate politically and correct stuff. It's like they're fucking kryptonite. As someone who dated one who was very much a gen Zer through and through, they're miserably politically correct to a point that it makes you just want to rip your fucking hair out sometimes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I have very little sympathy for people who can't enjoy someone hitting a ball with their dick, because if that offends you, look inward at yourself for fucking fuck's sake, Like they're not doing anything here other than pure entertainment, genuinely, like, this is not this is not trying to solve world hunger, and they make no bones about it. They're not trying to like do anything other than be entertainers. So yeah, like I I wonder, like just the viability of Jackass as a thing anybody cares about anymore. I don't know who is lining up for a lot of things like that. We saw that with Star Wars, where you know, we talked about Mandalorian and Grogu. Apparently nobody went and saw it. Everybody was going to see Obsession in backrooms. Which as someone who sat and watched Mandalorian and Grogu in theaters and backrooms, I can tell you which movie had were people in. It was back rooms. And I mean again, it made more money, just like Obsession. Like I think we are moving into a time where the tastes have changed and the people that are going to the movies to make money at the movies and spend their money at the movies are it needs to be focused on things that aren't appealing to people my age, your age, and.
Speaker 4: A little younger.
Speaker 2: But that's about it, Like I just these kinds of things just don't have the same staying power anymore. And I don't think it's all just because the quality has dipped. I think the interest in people's willingness to engage has also dipped. Like you know, there are probably some people that are like, oh, there's another Jackass movie coming out. I remember when I saw it when I was in college, and that's it. That's as far as the conversation goes. And I get it. But you know, you outgrow things, like there are people that outgrew friends from high school, outgrew movies and songs and TV shows that they liked, and I get the distinct feeling that Jackass was probably in that for a lot of people, because it was you know, the energy of Jackass has always been aggressively masculine. I don't think anything's wrong with any of those guys. There's never been any sort of like things leveled against any of them other than just like being drunken bozos, but like, it's been aggressively masculine, not toxically masculine, but aggressively masculine. There's a lot of penises and all kinds of like butt humor and farts and shit and stuff. But even that has kind of a terminus with a lot of people. I love a good dick and fart joke, I think as much as you do, clearly, but there are plenty of people that, like you've alluded to, not just younger people younger than us, but also people our own age that are just like that. It's not funny anymore. It's like, oh, okay, get off your fucking high horse, fine whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just I think it's this is what the fourth one would have been a good spot to end this. The third one was an even better spot. But I don't know of any movie that's gone past the trilogy that's really worked even contemporary anymore.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I guess. I guess Rocky doesn't count. You know, that's the only one I could think of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not contemporary anymore.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 5: Because I'm old. That's why I'm I'm these guys. I'm a little older than these guys, I guess, so just a tad, right, Yeah, not much so, because yeah they were when did you say two thousand and one?
Speaker 4: They were doing us in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the hospital started doing the stuff for the skate magazine in nineteen ninety nine, so yeah, pre two thousand, entertainment, pre two thousand and one, pre nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we got a Jackass movie in twenty twenty six. I'm glad that it is the last one. But this is diminishing return. But you know, getting to see a Jackass movie on the big screen one last time, I think was probably the goal here. And if that was singularly the goal, they achieved it as far as I'm concerned. So because the last one came out, and it came out during the pandemic, and you know, pandemic was a weird time for seeing movies in theaters. Now we're kind of past that, and you know, if people don't go and see it, they can't say it was the pandemic. They can they I think, can live happily knowing like the people that wanted to see it saw it, and the people that didn't want to see it didn't, And that's you know, that's not as good as you could ask for in this day and age. Was something as seemingly possibly still divisive for some people as Jackass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me either.
Speaker 2: So I guess with neither one of us suggesting you go see it unless you're a diehard Jackass fan, you know where we stand on this. If you want to hear either of our shows that don't pertain to Jackass, you can find all of those shows and more over at weirdingwaymedia dot com, where my show, The Culture Cast, Mike Show, The Projection Booth, Susan Lambert Adams Show, Eighties TV Ladies, and a whole host of other things can be found. Head on over there and give those shows a listen. I guarantee you will find something that you enjoy other than this, because I hope you enjoyed this even if we were a little harsh on the movie. But you know, I think it's coming from a place of love, and we did still spend our money, So you know.
Speaker 5: There is that multiple times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently in your case twice.
Speaker 2: So you know, there you go, and as always, we'll catch you on the next episode.
Speaker 1: From the Bosch The Bosch, the Boss
Speaker 4: Boss bids cot Bins from the Books of the Booksts from the Bosom