Speaker 1: Last week, we covered part one of the Canadian cult case known as the ant Hill Kids. We discussed the leader, how the cult originated, and the abuse many of the members endured. Here in part two, we will continue with the horrific tales of torture and abuse that only escalated. As well, we will talk about the final resolution and the conviction. My name's Ben and.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast. The following podcast and material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. You're gonna need a drink today. I'm warning you right now. I've got whiskey because oh boy, this this is hard. This is no pun intended not to that's what she said. This is hard, just straight up it's gonna suck. Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was really living my best life before this. I was drinking a Christmas drink and watching a Christmas movie.
Speaker 1: A good old like Hallmark movie where everything's like happy and like small town sort of situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, And now I'm coming to.
Speaker 1: This, Well, this is small town stuff too, just very dark small town stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I just love to say really quickly too, because someone I can't remember what platform it was. I hanging out in Patreon. Patreon totally called me out because we were talking about when we great and we're like December first people, but then like before December first, I do a lot of Christmas shopping and then I'm also watching Christmas movie. So it's a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit what will be.
Speaker 1: The work, But it's pick and choose when you do it that at least, you know what I mean. Totally like, if you don't want to have a Christmas Day, you don't have to. When you decorate, it's a Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true, you know, yes, very true.
Speaker 1: I want to quickly give our our patrons a shout out because I don't want to talk too much on this. We want to get into the case today because this is a part two. But we did have a couple of people sign up for Patreon this week, so shout out to Kim and her girls, Kinsley and Braylin and Laura Wilson.
Speaker 2: Awesome, yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: They're all getting the behind the scenes stuff and even the extra episode at the end of the month.
Speaker 2: Which is coming up soon. Actually it is.
Speaker 1: We gotta. We got to figure out which case we're going to do. For that, we got a big old lisp, so we got to die there and get our stuff in order.
Speaker 2: So I think you've made us wait long enough.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for Part two of The ant Hill Kids. No, I'm going to tell you now you're not ready.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm ready.
Speaker 1: If you do not know this case yet, be prepared. This gets graphic, it's gross, it's disturbing. The abuse and torture is a lot.
Speaker 2: My goodness. You compared it to another one of our cases. It's a doozy juneco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not comparable, but it's at that level of holy shit, if that makes sense. Yeah, okay, Yeah. So last episode or sorry episode, we covered a bit of like rasch or roche or rock apparently is more how you pronounce it, but I'm going to stick with Roche because of how I've been pronouncing it. So Roche and how he started his cult known as the ant Hill Kids. We covered the development of the abuse tortured and covered the events that unfolded, and we left off in nineteen eighty seven, when fourteen children were removed from the commune and placed into foster homes. The cult was left with just adults, two men and eight women, and Roche once again seemed to level up his abuse. That's where we left off. Kay, you ready for this? Okay? Well, as he leveled up his abuse, he only worsened. It didn't seem like anything really mattered. Just every year, every month, every incident, whatever, he just intensified in his wicked behaviors. With just a few drinks, he would launch into ramblings about the Master of life and death, the good and bad Creator. On one occasion, inexplicably enraged at one of the commune members, whose name was Claude Oulette, he issued a very bizarre ordered. He instructed him to wear an elastic band and wind it very tightly around his scrotum. Oh my, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know why. I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 1: I told you this is gonna get graphic and wow, brutal. He did not skimp when it came to any sort of torture by any means necessary. He was like he didn't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: And see, I've said this before, but how does he even think of that? Like, I'm sorry about I don't know what's wrong with you to even think. I don't that as a torture thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Okay, Well, Claude adhered to the strange order by his messiah that they called Moses, remember, and he proceeded to wear the rubber band tightly wound over his scrotum, and he wore it overnight and the next morning it resulted in irreversible damage to his testicles.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can only well, you know what I can. I mean, yeah, well, that's apparently you feel like this is much worse.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm kind of feeling it a little bit right now. Yeah, but this is actually even apparently an older method of castrating animals.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've never heard this.
Speaker 1: So event you basically just wind the band around the testicles and eventually they fall off. Gosh, because it cuts off circulation and everything.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, but I feel like that it just can't be. That can't feel good.
Speaker 1: No, I can't imagine it would. Yeah. In response, Roche decided didn't decide to actually to take pity or feel remorseful to this incident. Instead, he decided to take matters into his own hands. After all, he has performed surgeries and his commune members before, Right, so what would be the different about this situation. So Roche began performing a very gruesome procedure on Claude in order to quote repair his testicle.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, how the fuck does he think he's going to repair his testicle?
Speaker 1: Well, he started by using a razor blade to slice open claud scroll and with his hand, he manually removed the now infected testicle. What and cauterize the wombed with a hot piece of iron?
Speaker 2: What the ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He removed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he cut open his scrotum and pulled out his testy and then seared it shut with a hot iron.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sure that felt real good.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure it did.
Speaker 2: Something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Subsequently, Roche decided that he needed to hold a vote, so he orchestrated one, and this was to decide whether Claude should be stoned to death for allegedly quote offending God. However, the vote did not go through as Roche was hoped, and his proposal was overturned. So Roche resorted to wielding an acetylene torch, which is that torch they use in welding oxy acetylene towards. They call it so it makes his oxygen acetylene so that torch that literally melts metal. He began and wielding this and threatening to use it to cut open Claude's stomach.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean, look what the guy just did to him. Not that it's oh sorry, who the Shitroch.
Speaker 1: Was wielding this because the vote was no.
Speaker 2: So now he has something even more so against Clyde Claude. Claude.
Speaker 1: Yes, So he's like, okay, you know what, This surgery is now done, but you offended God for whatever reason, because I guess his testicle gout infected. So he's like, hey, should we stone him to death now? And they're like no. So he's like, well, fuck this, I'm going to fucking just cut him open with him the subtlean torch instead. Then screw you guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, so say so, my mind altered what you said to make it more easy for me to digest. And it was literally this guy that was getting his testicle cut doing the voted, like doing a vote and going to no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but okay, that's not what happened.
Speaker 2: It was not what happened.
Speaker 1: It was Roche saying, okay, for whatever reason, now I'm not done with your surgery, and I just want you to suffer more, so should we stone them? Is yes? Okay, wow, Well Claude was rightfully terrified in the situation, so he ran. He resorted to seeking refuge in the woods nearby. They lived kind of out in the woods anyways. It was a strategy that was not unfamiliar to the commune at this time. He and others regularly use this tactic when Roche descended into his bouts of frequent drunkenness. It was just kind of a routine tactic at this point. It's just kind of like to temporarily get away from the situation.
Speaker 2: The madness.
Speaker 1: Basically kind of like a kid running to the room and closing the door. It's their safe place. It's the only thing they can think of to get away.
Speaker 2: That's really sad.
Speaker 1: One of the members, by the name of Jissel in particular, would occasionally take shelter at her father's house until Roche would persuade her to return to what he deemed her quote true family. Despite a temporary period of good treatment upon her return, Giselle inevitably faced repercussions for running away and bringing dishonor to Roche. So even though he's like, hey, it's all good, Just come back. We're your family, and say the first day or two was good. He's like, yeah, it's all good, you're back. We're happy to have you back. Yeah, he resorted to a ship right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 1: One incident, in February of nineteen eighty seven, Roche impulsively hurled a hunting knife aunt Chizelle, inflicting a three inch deep gash on her thigh that immediately began gushing blood profusely. Roche showed zero remorse for any feeling for that matter, and instead he just simply fetched another beer and went to bed. Holy shit, Yeah, wow, this guy is fucked.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that you would just hurt someone to that extend and just like pace, Yeah that is that's some kind of monster right there.
Speaker 1: Well, it gets even worse than that situation because he went to bed with his beer. But then he woke up two hours later and discovered a clot had formed in Jizelle's swollen leg as a result of the injury. And once he discovered this, Roache decided to take matters into his own hands, opting to perform another makeshift operation. No, so he pressed hard on Jizelle's leg to force the wound to reopen. Gosh, he probed it with a red hot iron file and poured cup after cup of boiling water onto the injury, scalding it and burning her over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: That's way too much.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is just scratching the surface.
Speaker 2: Gosh. Okay, I felt that one though.
Speaker 1: Wow, the shit he's doing is beyond gruesome, beyond horrifying, Like there's no words.
Speaker 2: No, and it's so sad that these people can't get away, you know, like they're stuck there almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, I'm going to touch on a little bit later about why these people are really stuck there and get into their perspective a little bit, but for now, we're going to continue with this. Just I've got a bit on this episode regarding that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well, her poor damn leg, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean a week later, though, the woundn't became infected, which I mean it's not a real surprise given the no barbaric surgeries that are being done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then what.
Speaker 1: Well Roche decided to give it another go.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, no, I don't want to hear about this anymore.
Speaker 1: No, so to this same girl who he just sliced open with throwing a knife at her, scalded with boiling water, and probed with a red hot piece of metal. He decided that now the remedy would be for him to pack the infected wound with a concoction of salt, olive oil and spruce gum. So because it's infected, he's shoving more shit him.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, eventually Giselle was able to recover enough that she was able to attempt to escape once more. But a few days later she returned to Roast just as before, unable to let go of the power this sick fuck had over her. Dang, she truly she returned because she truly believed that she needed to return to fulfill her role in God's plan and to remain with Roache despite the ongoing cycle of abuse and control that's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really has a hold on them, he really does. It's shocking that you would just go through that much and then and then you know, still feel the need to be coming back.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not that they're coming back for Roche. They're coming back because of God. They believe he is this conduit through which they are serving the Lord. Yeah, that's what they think. It's not that, oh, Roche is all powerful and all knowing, it's he is bringing God us through God, and like he's the pathway.
Speaker 2: And they're having to go through these things to get through this pathway or closer to God or whatever, right.
Speaker 1: Kind of kind of yeah, Okay, it's more so they're not going through them to get closer to God. It's that this is just like how it is and what has to happen for whatever reason. These things are serving a purpose that they just don't know about, but Roche clearly does.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, of course, Giselle wasn't the only one of the group though, who was suffering at the hands of their supposed messiah. Roche subjected another member, Josie, to the a settling torch, the one that he liked to wave around so frivalently and threaten people with. He held the burning torch up to her flesh until her skin began to bubble.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So this is a burning torch that is to weld metal.
Speaker 2: Wow, what does this fucking guy think he is?
Speaker 1: Oh, he thinks he's something He really does. Another member was giving birth for the first time, and in that vulnerable moment, he callously passed the torch across her stomach in the middle of her giving birth. He just runs the torch across her stomach.
Speaker 2: You're fucking kidding me.
Speaker 1: Another member, Jaquez, suffered a blow to the head with a blunt axe and his ribs were fractured by the aggressive and mercy swing of a wooden club. The brutality never got better, It only continued to worsen. A woman by the name of Nicole experienced a miscarriage due to the trauma of a beating from Roche. On a separate occasion, Roche even shot her in the shoulder with a three or three caliber rifle.
Speaker 2: Hmm, Okay, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I told you this is a fucked up case.
Speaker 2: I can't even believe that the harm he is doing to these people.
Speaker 1: Well, we covered a lot in episode one in the first part of this, and I mean there were a lot of children getting injured and abused as well. But now that the children are gone, for whatever reason, it seems like he just is upping it even more, getting worse. I didn't think he could get worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he is. That really hits me the whole, like giving birth and injuring her at the same time, Like, are you freaking kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he did.
Speaker 2: That is so disturbing.
Speaker 1: You can't get any lower than this sick.
Speaker 2: Fuck And like I'm sure that was even his kid, right, So it's just like, yeah, most likely actual fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was constantly on a rampage. He was he was looking for ideas to torment abuse anyone for any fucking reason. H He didn't need a weapon either. Giselle fell victim to his steel toe boots, resulting in broken ribs. Claude endured methodical torment, including the deliberate spraining of his toes in a gruesome incidant where a piece of broken glass was used to slice open his arm. Roche extracted eleven of Claude's teeth with a pair of pliers despite having absolutely no dental issues whatsoever, and he commanded one of his wives to break Claude's legs with a sledgehammer.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that is so much abuse.
Speaker 1: He used vice grips as a torture method on Gabe, Gabrielle and esz L's nipples until they bled. Claude, in one horrifying incident, was hog tied and suspended from the ceiling for an hour while Roche ordered others of his wives and to shave off Claude's pubic hair and pour boiling water all over him. Cool Roche punched another member by the name of Solange brutally in the neck, knocking her out cold. Jaquez was ordered to inflict pain on Gabrielle by smashing her thigh with a sledgehammer, while Roche personally squeezed Gabrielle's hand in a vice and whipped her in the eye with a belt. Man it doesn't stop. The abuse extent into more sinister acts too. I'm sorry, I'm laughing that. It's just it's an uncomfortable thing.
Speaker 2: It's uncomprehendible.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't I don't know how to present this information. Yeah, I'm just like, it's so far beyond fucked.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, well you're yeah. I laugh often when I'm uncomfortable. It's a coping mechanism.
Speaker 1: It really is, honestly for me right now. Yeah, because this abuse went far more sinister in other acts too. For example, Roche was roast stuck a hypodermic needle into Gabrielle's back, containing an unknown concoction, and he, while it was in Gabrielle, began twisting the needle until the tip broke off underneath her skin.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I was researching that one, that's one of the ones I felt the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, holy I I yeah, okay, Yeah, you were right when you said that you're gonna need a drink for this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My whiskey is almost gone already. M you good?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, the last episode, please remind me here he had he killed, he'd killed like a kid or a baby or something.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, he had?
Speaker 2: And like, are none of these adults succumbing to these injuries?
Speaker 1: Not so much? No.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't even believe what these people can endure like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. There was some adults, at least one passing away as a result, but that is to come in this episode. Still we will talk on that, okay. Regarding Gabrielle, though with the hypodermic needle, he also further subjected her to torture by burning her breasts and genitalia with that same torch.
Speaker 3: Oh my, gosh.
Speaker 1: Jack has under orders cut off half of Gabrielle's left pinky finger with a pair of wire cutters, and her other fingers were broken with a board. Oh Roche struck and broke Slange's cheekbone when she was six months pregnant. The cruelty even extended to animals, as Roche in one situation, beat one of their horses to death with a chain. My god, there are literally no words I have that can truly describe this individual. Yeah, I can't. It's so fucked up.
Speaker 2: And the real fucked up thing though, that just came to my mind is like this is the shit that you're just able to find right like out there, Like how much more is there that like was forgotten or that they didn't want to, you know, say, or whatever, Like, Yeah, this is honestly as disturbing as it is. It's probably just like the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: It really is. Yeah, And I can imagine, Okay, they're saying, in this situation, so and so got struck in the face and had their cheekbone broken. How many times were they struck in the face before the cheekbone was broken? Were they struck the day before the day before that, the day before that, and were they being struck for the last month or two in a row every morning, and then the one incident we're talking about is when they were hit and their bone broke.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's so fucking sick.
Speaker 2: It is really, really, really disturbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Unfortunately, though, you are right, we are only scratching the surface because there is still more to come in this episode.
Speaker 2: Oh god, everything you say, I'm like, Okay, that's got to be it. That's got to be it. I'm going to pull the label off my fucking drink here because it's I'm just like, need something to do.
Speaker 1: That's your anxiety is getting to you. You need an outlet. I can't blame you.
Speaker 2: I need like a stress ball or something.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you guys are listening to this while you're sitting in your office or something, I can guarantee you probably are either a sitting back and you're like clenching your coffee mug or cup, or you are biting or chewing on a pen or fiddling with it fivorously, or you do have a stress ball in your hand. One of those three things.
Speaker 2: Why the shit do I not have one of those? We should get one of those for like a person listening, We really should. That's an amazing idea, that is, But to.
Speaker 1: Move on to say that we are only looking at the tip of the iceberg. Another incident, for example, was Gabrielle experienced a very horrifying medical incident when her uterus prolapsed, which is commonly caused as a result of childbirth. Rather than seeking professional medical help, she endured another one of Roche's makeshift attempts of medical surgeries, and in this case a correction including punching the uterus back inside and fashioning a wooden cone and trust to essentially plug her up. Oh yeah, her uterus was prolapsing, so he decided to punch it back in place, and when that didn't work, he used wood to basically cram it and hold it back.
Speaker 2: Wow, my jaw is like on the ground right now.
Speaker 1: I know. Now. She did run away to a woman's shelter at one point, but Gabrielle returned to the compound instead of seeking proper medical care. It took a year before she could undergo a partial hysterectomy at Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay, but she had to do so under one of Rosche's abstinence trips to Utah behind his back.
Speaker 2: Dang, that is just oh man. The fact that they just keep going back is just so it just like makes my heart hurt so bad.
Speaker 1: I can't and I'm not.
Speaker 2: Blaming them or anything, oh, definitely not, but it's just like, yikes, I would do anything to get them out of the situation.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, like, all these things are so fucking disturbing, but the worst part of it is is that psychological control that Roche has over there. That's the biggest mind fuck to me. Like I can't fathom being in that situation and still this individual has that control. That is so disturbing to me that he has that power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again when he's doing things like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, I'm not blaming the individuals whatsoever. And as I mentioned that, we're going to try and like get a peek at their point of view. This is the moment that I have here. I actually have a letter that one of them wrote to Roche, so that goes like this, good day, Moses, my master. I would have liked to have talked to you yesterday evening, but I think it is preferable to write these things down rather than saying them for fear of talking too much. I am going to talk to you about the last fit of anger that your master exercised through you. I really believe that what you did doesn't come from you, but from someone much higher. For my part, I really believe that you were possessed by a very powerful spirit. That's what I saw in what you did, the throwing of the knife, the rifle shot, the harm done to many. My eye saw things that went beyond them. My body is very afraid of all these things. I understand it very well because of the law of death in which it exists. But within myself I am well. I am very well and very happy to belong to a real mass her who himself belongs to the only real master of life. Love. Rachelle in Brackets aka Solange Boillard.
Speaker 2: Hmm. I was not when you said that you were going to read a letter. I wasn't expecting that for some reason.
Speaker 1: So this is the individual who had the knife thrown at her, Yeah, gash in the boiling water and the iron prod and then the wound packed, who ran away to come back and was shot in the shoulder with a rifle and I want to touch a one specific thing here. The very first sentence, it goes like this, I would have liked to have talked to you yesterday evening, but I think it's preferable to write these things down rather than saying them for fear of talking too much. Yea, talking too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like she to go in punished if she had said all of that, which isn't even a long letter to him, not Yeah.
Speaker 1: So holy fucking that alone. And then of course the whole point of her saying that there's another spirit acting through you, it's not you doing it. I feel very blessed to be serving you because you serve.
Speaker 2: A higher being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like, holy fuck. That is so fucked up. Yeah, that he has them believing this, even after all the things he's doing to them. I feel so bad for these individuals because they want so bad to serve their their savior, their Lord, their their religious idol. I understand individuals have their religion and that's what they believe is going on, is it's simply God. And I feel so bad that Roche or Rock or whatever the fuck this douchebag's name is is taking that away from them and replacing it with this horror that they don't even know is happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so hard to even know what to say. That letter, for some reason has me just a little bit. I don't even have words, like just heart broken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the best way I can play.
Speaker 2: Like you almost just need to sit there for a few minutes and just digest that. But then I feel like if you think about it too much, you just like ball your face off.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I could read this letter every day for the rest of my life, and I don't know if I could fully ever digest this letter.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you probably couldn't, Like I mean, we couldn't. There's no way, No, there's no way.
Speaker 1: I could never put myself in their shoes. I could never understand the pain, the power, the faith that went into this. Never could never. Yeah, it baffles me, and I feel so bad for the individuals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bizarre that someone could possess this much power over someone else, It really is. Yeah, it's mind blowing.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're going to carry on away from the letter here though. Now we're into the fall of nineteen eighty eight, and this marked a very tragic and terrifying episode in Solange's life. Solange is the one who wrote the letter. Convinced by Roche that something was wrong with her liver, Solange was manipulated into believing that she needed on operation.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and this is like a big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking liver, We're talking yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, during an afternoon of excessive drinking, Roche's behavior took another violent turn as he began strangling the women in the commune, claiming that their breath belonged to him. Holy shit, And in a disturbing sequence of events, he now adorned himself with jewelry and announced his intention to quote treat Solange.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no.
Speaker 1: He led the group to their bakery, where he cleared a table and instructed Solange to undress and lay down. He inserted a tube into her rectum and used a mixture of molasses, oil, and water as an enema fluid. This ordeal lasted for half an hour, during which Roche encouraged Solange not to be embarrassed about losing control of her bodily functions. I mean, after all, she is going through an enema here with some terrible fucking fluids. And he then proceeded to press and punch her stomach, insisting that she moved her hands when she dared tried to fend him off and fight back. Adding to the cruelty, he inserted a tube down her throat and instructed to blow and suck on the other end of the tube.
Speaker 2: What the shit.
Speaker 1: Then, with a knife in his hand, Roche made a five inch vertical incision on Solange's stomach, just below her ribs on the right side. He took his hand and reached into the incision with his fingers and pulled out a strip of tissue approximately four inches long and a quarter of an inch thick. He tore it off and declared, there, you're going to be all right, as another member of the group was tasked with sewing her wound closed.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, he and he's doing this and she's just like awake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's awake. She has no form of any sort of like painkillers, nothing.
Speaker 2: Holy okay, that makes me feel ill.
Speaker 1: Time well. Following this quote procedure if you will, Solange was sent back to the cabin, where Roche ordered her to take a warm bath filled with cherry. This only aggravated her condition, so Roche then subjected her to a cold bath instead, because if the first one didn't work, well, this one will. And upon her taking the cold bath, she then would return to bed, and Solange began bleeding from her mouth and would pass away.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. No.
Speaker 1: Yes. Medical professionals later determined that Solange's cause of death was acute pertonitis, which is an inflammation of the pertinonium resulting from digestive fluids leaking into the abdominal cavity. It's assumed what was cut from what Roche cut was part of her intestine.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because I was just like, what the sh did he pull out?
Speaker 1: We don't know, It's just that's assumed. But it was some part clearly of her digestive.
Speaker 2: Track, something that like her body needed.
Speaker 1: He literally pulled out an organ, ripped a chunk off, shoved it back in, sewed her up.
Speaker 2: O oh man, I.
Speaker 3: Am so appalled, dear, okay, okay, yeah, her poor body, what it endured, Oh my gosh, for absolutely like no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she was completely fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Now. The aftermath of Solange's death plunged Roche into a state of despair, leading him to attempt suicide. In various ways. Initially, he implored Jaquez to shoot him, then he tried an overdose on Tyler Know and ultimately attempted to drown himself. However, in a letter later addressed to the spirit of the deceased, Roche declared a peculiar experience where a mysterious force intervened, freeing him from his binds. During the drowning attempt, he emerged from the waters exclaiming, God doesn't want me to die. Yeah, sure, that sounds pretty fucking convenient to me. Yeah. So, following this ordeal, he contacted doctor Jess gost Beck and traveled to Utah in October of sixteenth. October sixteenth of nineteen eighty eight, in a meeting with doctor goes Back, Roche claimed that Slange had died suddenly in the woods due to a spontaneously erupted vein in her esophagus.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, could that have been any more false?
Speaker 1: Right now? Doctor goes Beck reassured Roche that there was nothing he could have done to save her, but Roche, guided by his strange dreams, asserted that God has designated doctor gos Beck as his guide, and in these dreams, Roche claimed Solange was inside his body with her form emerging from his ejaculate. So he and doctor, you know what, fuck doctor, it's just goes back to me. I'm not gonna call him a fucking doctor anymore because fuck that. This person's fucked too. The two of them them concocted a fantastical belief that Solange was to basically experience a reverse birth through the belly of a male, mirroring the birth of the womb from a female basically. So Doctor's like, oh, you couldn't stop the death. Oh yeah, sure you could give birth to I mean, I mean, maybe maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe this doctor is like talking completely hypothetical here and is like, maybe it's being a little more therapeutic. But Roche literally is thinking he can rebirth Solange just as paralleling birthing through a female l womb.
Speaker 2: Because I was like, what the fuck are you talking about here? I was so confused, but that I was like, that's not what it is, But that is what it is.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's exactly what it is. He was now convinced that he was basically pregnant with Solange. Yeah. He even actually went and performed a post mortem marriage by proxy, officially recognizing the union between him and Solange.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this shit is just getting worse and worse.
Speaker 1: I told you this is fucked up.
Speaker 2: Holy what are you doing to us here? This is okay?
Speaker 1: I fucking told you. Okay, are you good? You're crossing your arms down.
Speaker 2: And like, I know, well, I've like been my like this. I've been putting my nails into my hands, like I this is just okay, I just am. I'm going through a lot of emotions right now, Okay.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. I mean, it's just so, it's so messed up. Like I haven't no other words. I have no words at all to describe. I have nothing, like I don't know what to say. I literally don't.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how you went about researching this. I don't think. I don't even know if I would physically be able to so like, good on you that that is something.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate that it was not an easy task. I mean, every episode takes its toll, don't get me wrong, But then there are.
Speaker 2: Some that are more so, Like I would be stress eating. I probably would have gained ten pounds researching this episode.
Speaker 1: Well, there's things that we research and it becomes almost expected, it becomes almost the normal. When you're looking at true crime, and anyone out there who listens to true crime or researches or anything on a regular basis, there's murder. Is it's normal in the true crime world. Doesn't make it less horrific, don't get me wrong, but you are caught off guard when something, all of a sudden is worse than a murder. It's like, what the fuck? H So, yeah, and this one is it's beyond messed up by any means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I've already said, it's it's literally uncomprehendible what he did to these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, once Roche returned from Utah to see this doctor or whatever, he ordered Claude to exhume Solange's body from her grave, and Gabrielle was instructed to open Solange's body and pour vinegar on her internal organs to deter worms before reburying her.
Speaker 2: My gosh, she's even passed away and he's not even leaving her alone.
Speaker 1: The plans didn't end there. A few days later, he had them redig up Slane.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Once more, Roche instructed Jaquez to drill a hole in Solange's skull, and then Roche then began to masturbate into the opening, ejaculating into the whole of her skull, all in the misguided belief that he could somehow rebirth or bring her back to life.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry, but this guy is an fucking idiot. Yes, I thought that I was angry, and now I'm just so beyond pissed that I don't even think I'm gonna be of sleep tonight. So thanks a lot, dude. Sorry, I am so mad right now, rightfully, So don't get mad at me. I know you look scared. Wow, but that just that is just too much. Like this person is deceased. What the fuck is he doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he is the one that made her deceased. Yeah, and now he's doing this to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'm not okay.
Speaker 1: Neither am I trust me. I don't think anyone listening to this right now is okay either. Okay, again, excuse our laughter because we are so uncomfortable with this episode. You like, it's beyond ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and poor Ben is now breakwor life.
Speaker 1: I kind of am now his attempt at rebirth or bringing her back to life, however he wants to freaking phrase it. His plan, of course, didn't work, and initially Roche was before all this. Roche was informed that Solange's wish was to be cremated, reportedly, and he eventually reluctantly agreed, and the group did burn burn Solange's body.
Speaker 2: How would they have done that? They don't have that means to do that, did they?
Speaker 1: I'm assuming just a bonfire, and by the sounds of the following information it makes sense. So before the cremation, one of Solange's ribs were removed at Roche's request, which he kept in a leather wrapping as a morbid keepsake. Then after the cremation, each member of the group took some of her bones for themselves in memorial. Roche collected bone fragments in a jar and filled it with olive oil, which he regularly used as a misguided attempt to bring Solange back to life, continuously through his twisted notion of rebirth that he still thought might happen. I guess so, I'm assuming it was just on a large fire, because they were able to collect fragments of her remain still. Hmm, Okay, is that label almost off?
Speaker 2: Well, I would be ripping it off right now, but I'm trying not to make a lot of noise.
Speaker 1: So fair. Now, Roche, being this all powerful being, his entity, his Messiah being Moses, would soon first meet its first ever act of real defiance.
Speaker 2: I've been waiting for this for some time now.
Speaker 1: Roche was trying to entrust his next soon to be born child, conceived by Francine, to the care of a man by the name of Alex Joseph to prevent childcare and family services from intervening. Okay, however, Alex started an argument. This argument ensued between Alex and Roche over the treatment of his wives, and Alex successfully stood up to the group's quote Messiah.
Speaker 2: He wasn't part of the group though, right.
Speaker 1: I believe he was. Okay, he might have been. Maybe he's not. That's not too clear to me. I'm not certain. Maybe a previous member. I don't know. He clearly has inside knowledge yet, because he knows the treatment right, So I'm not too sure the relationship of Alex with the group intimately. But now, no one, regardless has stood up to Roache before, and this momentarily momentary display of defiance left a very large impression on Roch's wives, showing that he wasn't actually this all powerful being. Instead, it portrayed him rather human okay. As a result, group member Josie Pellettier successfully left the cult during the winter of eighty eight and eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Nice Yes Nice.
Speaker 1: On July twenty sixth of nineteen eighty eight, intoxicated as usual, more violent tendencies escalated. Jisselle, Claude, Francine, and Maurice managed to sneak away into the bush to hide, but Gabrielle was not so fortunate. Roche screamed and ordered her to place her hand on the kitchen table, and then then he rained down a knife and stabbed her in the hand with a hunting knife, pinning her hand directly to the wooden table.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Blood began to pour from her hand immediately, as Roche just nonchalantly grabbed another beer and left the room. Jeeus, Gabrielle forced herself to remain conscious, and after staying there with a knife pinning her hand down for forty five minutes, Roche returned to the room. He noticed her arm had now turned blue, clearly from a lack of blood in the extremity, so he fetched a carpenter knife and began cutting away at the flesh on her arm, halfway between her elbow and shoulder, ultimately cutting the flesh away all the way to the bone.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: He then dislodged the hunting knife from Gabrielle's hand, took her over to the stump on the kitchen floor, and used a dull meat cleaver and swung at the exposed bone. First swing missed, but the second struck the bone and broke it in half, amputating Gabrielle's arm entirely.
Speaker 2: Wow Okay.
Speaker 1: Remarkably, Gabrielle somehow endured this hole ordeal, and the following day she left and sought refuge at a woman's shelter. Yeah wow, But she returned to the compound at Chaquez's request, urging her to return. Days later, Roche and again another drunken state, decided that Gabrielle's stump was now gangrenous gangrene. Using scissors, he cut off the infected flesh, but he didn't stop there. He also took a chunk from her breast for unknown reasons. In a further act of cruelty, he struck her on the head with the side of an axe, leaving a very large gash. She managed to run once again and fled into the bush, but she ultimately would black out.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: She regained consciousness two days later.
Speaker 2: Two days Lakers still.
Speaker 1: Laying on the forest floor, and discovered that insects had now laid eggs in her open wounds.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Still, she returned back to the compound.
Speaker 2: This has to be she has to get away. At this point, She's not going to live.
Speaker 1: She once again found Roche drunk and eager to perform yet another operations.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The acetylene torch was used to cut a piece from the drive shaft of a junk car, which Roche heated until red hot and pressed against Gabrielle stump where her arm once was. Finally, she had enough and she left the cult behind.
Speaker 2: Wow, I on assume stock that she lived, so am I like, that's that's something. Yeah, I for sure thought that she was gonna pass away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought the same. But she endured so much and she finally left the call behind, and her escape marked a very large turning point in nightmarish saga. Of the antil kids.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, and.
Speaker 1: Because of that she is our badass of the day. No shit, I mean, I can't imagine surviving that and then going back, going back because of your faith being that strong, and then finally still surviving enough to be the one to leave and have this becoming the turning point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: On August sixteenth, nineteen eighty nine, she reached a hospital and concocted a story explaining her missing arms. She fabricated, didn't explain that it was roach or anything like that. The police were called, leading to a filing of an aggravated assault charge against Roche, so the police went to find them. However, when the police arrived at the compound on August nineteenth with a warrant for Roche's rest, they found it deserted. Roche knew what was coming, so he, along with Jaquez, Chantelle and Nicole, with the two youngest babies that had now been born, had fled to Quebec. The others took Gabrielle's lead and had returned to their families, breaking free from Roche's manipulative hold.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad most of them. So he has what three women and two kids still with.
Speaker 1: Him though, right, I believe so, yes, Okay. So it took six weeks for the police to locate Roche. But on October sixth, nineteen eighty nine, the day Giselle decided to finally disclose Solange's death to the authorities, Roche was apprehended by the police. Good everyone, not just Roche. Everyone pleaded guilty to charges related to Gabrielle's amputation. Roche received a twelve year sentence, later reduced to ten years due to his claimed quote genuine remorse and concern for the victim.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that is not even close to enough.
Speaker 1: Jaquez received five years, Chantelle received two less one day, and Nicole eighteen months. While facing additional charges for first degree murder, Roche's trial for second degree murder was pursued when insufficient evidence of premeditation was found. Now it was at this time very obvious that more charges were to come as more and more evidence and accounts of Roch's actions were being discovered. So Roach's lawyer did the only thing that he could do. He negotiated a deal, a deal where Roche would plead guilty to second degree murder charge in exchange for no further charges.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Oh, this case is exhausting.
Speaker 1: That's one word for it.
Speaker 2: I'm exhausted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a very large burden, even just to hear, yeah, let alone to be a part of. So the deal occurred on January eighteenth, nineteen ninety three. Roche their Day was sentenced to life in prison, with parole eligibility set for nineteen ninety nine, only six years later. Are you good?
Speaker 2: I'm good? But I'm like, did this guy get the fuck out of jail or not? Did he like? He didn't? Right, he didn't get out of jail, right, there's no way.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll touch on that here in a second.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, there were individuals such as Francine Chantelle Nicole known as Holga, Ruth, and Deborah respectively. They remained loyal.
Speaker 2: To Roche wow.
Speaker 1: Even having conjugal visits with him.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Other survivors attempted to adapt to a new life without him. Roche's numerous children, numbering over twenty, were dispersed among foster homes across Canada and the United States.
Speaker 2: Those poor kids, Can you imagine that being your father? My head hurts. I'm a headache now.
Speaker 1: Now. Interestingly, and very disturbingly enough, despite the horrific nature of Roch's crimes, prison staff spoke very highly of him, describing him as very charismatic cool, which we know from any fucking psychopath out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Case in point, I mean the classic, the cliche Ted Bundy.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, but he sucks.
Speaker 1: We all know he sucks exactly. Now. In two thousand and two, Roche would officially apply for his parole, but his request was denied due to being assessed as a high risk to people.
Speaker 2: You don't say, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Do say I very well do say. Now. In two thousand and nine, he attempted to sell his jail cell artwork. He's sitting there and his cell doing some artwork on it. Well, he's trying to sell it on a murder themed auction website catering to true crime enthusiasts. Oh so true crime memorabilia. You know, maybe document signed by Ted Bundy for example. We just spoke him already, so we'll just say Ted Bundy signed court documents or something like that. Right, So he's trying to sell his own artwork on this website.
Speaker 2: Which is so disturbing because people would buy that.
Speaker 1: For sure, Yeah they would, But the attempt to profit from his crimes was denied as artwork was blocked from leaving the prison.
Speaker 2: Good Yeah.
Speaker 1: As the final piece to the puzzle, the chapter of Roche, their day would finally come to an end on February twenty sixth in two Thy eleven, before he ever had the opportunity to see parole or the outside world, Roche's cellmate approached him and stabbed him in the neck repeatedly with a makeshift shank, killing him behind bars. After the attack, the roommate casually walked to the guard station, handed over the weapon, and declared, quote, that piece of shit is down the range. Here's the knife. I've sliced him up. Roche was discovered dead near his cell at the age of sixty three.
Speaker 2: And that guy just didn't give a fuck. He was like, fuck, this just needs to end.
Speaker 1: Pretty.
Speaker 2: It's basically his thought process there.
Speaker 1: I think, so wow, and that is the case. That is the story. That is the cult known as the ant Hill Kids.
Speaker 2: Huh. I feel like wow, that was a ride and a half. I feel right now like my like, my chest is tight, my eyes feel like they could start crying. I don't even know why, because the end of that was just such just so much mixed emotions there. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about how I feel too, It's so fucked up.
Speaker 2: Wow, what is what did you say to the guard? Can you say that again? Please? I need to hear that again.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the quote is that piece of shit is down on the range. Here's the knife. I've sliced them up.
Speaker 2: WHOA not a single fuck given? Yeah, huh. I mean, but the thing is, if it wasn't for that guy, like he would have got out.
Speaker 1: Of jail for sure, probably would have.
Speaker 2: And I can only imagine what would have happened. Yeah, because he still had followers too.
Speaker 1: He did, Yeah, he very much so did. And I mean a life sentence is not it's not a person's life. It's not for the rest of your life. Like you can get out on a life sentence very much so easily, totally you serve that time you're still out well.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and they were already saying that he was doing good in there, so like I'm sure they'd been like, yeah, you know, he was an angel in jail, like he's he's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean like he was denied parole in what was it two thousand and two when he was up eligible for parole in nineteen ninety nine, so he was denied his parole, then give him a few more years, sure, yeah, probably freaking try it again and probably get it because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he really wasn't very old when he died sixty three, So I mean, the chances are very high that he would have gotten out of there when he was, you know, at a still reasonable age or whatever. Yeah, but I'm actually surprised that he did stay in jail that long.
Speaker 1: A little bit, it's same because we've seen a lot of people with more sentences get out sooner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, that was that was something.
Speaker 1: That was definitely something.
Speaker 2: I am going to have some cheese and crackers now, just comfort food. Well before this, I was like, oh, I don't need a snack, but now I do you know that that was just that was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Do you need a hug?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I love you too, don't I don't think it's a hug that I need. I don't know what I need. Wow, you probably need a hug after researching that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm honestly I feel like you know, when you like take a deep breath and you exhale after like a major like stressful event or like you're super like angry about something, there's that like just like weight off your shoulder almost every time you do it. That's how I felt all fucking day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, okay, I mean it's it's it's insane that like this. It's good we covered that, you covered this or whatever, but that's also like crazy to me that this was Canadian. For some reason, I.
Speaker 1: Can't believe I've never heard of this growing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we would have been alive at this time.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I was born and we we were both born in eighty eight, so he was apprehended when was it it was eighty nine, was it? Or no, it was later than that.
Speaker 2: But still he would have had it been in the news and stuff when like his parole was coming exactly and when he died and stuff. When he died, we definitely like we were it's surprising we didn't. Maybe we did, and we just you know didn't look at it.
Speaker 1: We're kids, We you know, we don't know sort of thing. Yeah, yeah, it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. October sixth nineteen eighty nine, so he was apprehended when we were one year old, but.
Speaker 2: Not that we would have known at that point. But you know, it's I'm just surprised that I don't remember this case in the news and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Okay, Well, I think we're gonna go eat some cheese and crackers and pickles and pick at cheese crack crackers and pickles, crack cheese cracking. No, definitely not that. We're gonna go eat some cheese, crackers and pickles. And to our friends in the United States of America, you got Thanksgiving coming up here for a couple of days. We want to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. Yes, hopefully everyone out there is not too traumatized by this case. We appreciate you sticking through to the end Part one in part two, if you want to check out our social links, they're all in the description of the podcast. If you want to check out our other podcasts or our sister podcast, if you will. Fearful Jacko hosts that every Wednesday he comes out with a new episode. So tomorrow he's got a new episode coming out. Just go check it out. Yeah, have you ever heard of the Highway of Tears.
Speaker 2: I absolutely have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Jack was talking about that. Wow, so go check it out. Yeah we're gonna beat cheese and crackers.
Speaker 3: Now, h Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it was worth it was worth staying for this part two like this was. I mean, I'm I'm glad I heard it, but I'm glad I didn't or what the fuck I don't even I can't even speak. So until next time, like we gotta go here.
Speaker 1: Until next time, stay wicked