Speaker 1: The other problem here, though, is another a concept called interpassivity. Zorin could put us into this interpassive state where, because the problem is, you know, this spectacle of him winning could be taken as you, oh, great, I don't need to do anything anymore. I don't need to get out there and support him because he's going to do my anti capitalism for me. And whether or not he does is obviously just a question that has to be left to the future. But it goes to the broader point that when you have fascism, when you have communism, you need propaganda with those things you need to argue, but capitalism doesn't need you to believe it works for it to work. And apparently, according to this argument, fascism and communism are things that require you to believe them to work for them to work. So in capitalism and capitalist realism you can have this state where I don't believe money is real, but I act as if it is, or I don't believe this works, but I act as if it does work. Right, you get into this capitalism capitalist realism is this unique situation that produces that, and the danger of interpassivity is, you know, whenever any spectacle comes along like Zorin winning or the Squad winning, or Bernie gaining ground.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The danger is that it can relax us into passivity because it's, like we see, it's obviously the media system that we're not going Unless you're going in person to their rallies and hearing them speak, you're probably getting this information from the media. So you have a spectacle of anti capitalism and you relax and say everything's good, and you pay attention to something else. Hello, pillpods listeners. Today we're picking up on a topic we actually covered a couple of years ago now, I guess it was so I can't even remember when we did our last episode on Mark Fisher, when we did Exiting the Vampire Castle. That was a bit a bit of a different angle. But today we're going to capitalist realism, something I've wanted to read for quite a.
Speaker 3: While and.
Speaker 1: Never never done it. It's not even that long. I don't know, why have you never?
Speaker 3: Was this your first time reading it?
Speaker 4: Eric?
Speaker 1: It actually is, Yeah, I'm really yeah. I missed out on a few texts I know, and I claim to be knowledgeable about the sort of British Marxism type of stuff, but I guess this is one of the ones I missed.
Speaker 2: It's like one of the only theory books that anybody has ever read. I know it is. Yeah, it's like the kind of theory book that gets a lot of people into theory. They're like, I think I can read theory now, and then they read Jamison They're like, Okay, I give up.
Speaker 4: There's probably a good chance that many of our listeners and may have this might be the only theory book that they've read.
Speaker 1: Perhaps yes, oh yeah, everyone can school me on it because that's my first run through. But I mean his style is quite familiar, right, Like it is kind of eclectic, bringing in very different topics from pop culture, economics, politics, and drawing on like psychoanalysis.
Speaker 4: And also if it's if it's not obvious already, we're joined again by Tony from the one Time YouTube channel and the One Time radio.
Speaker 3: Podcast to talk about this.
Speaker 4: So I just want to get that, make that clear so the listeners are aware of what's happening.
Speaker 1: I know I'm blowing this introduction.
Speaker 2: I'm the substitute teacher, the substitute yeah, guest host at this phase. Treat me well.
Speaker 3: Tony is a guest host, meaning we're.
Speaker 1: Going to put on a film for you for m's going to be the class today.
Speaker 2: Is a teacher? Yay.
Speaker 1: Actually Fisher does talk about teaching quite a bit because I guess he is a teacher or was a teacher, sorry, and he drew a lot of stuff on his experience.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: It was almost like a continuing education he taught in. It was like almost like an alternative oh yeah, school system where like working class families or people who didn't fit into the mainstream British school system, which I'm not familiar with at all, could sort of send their kids there.
Speaker 2: And I think it was more like the British equivalent of community college. Oh yeah, yeah, kind of what he taught.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I was I was also going to say, it's before Tony got here and before we started recording, Eric and I were sort of noticing that there's you know, it's it's funny that in the Exiting of the Vampire Castle he talks very like praisingly about Russell Brand, who I think was for a time like authentically a pretty left wing guy, like talking about working class issues. And then I also added the fun fact maybe even some of you who have listened have actually listened to the audiobook of Capitalist Realism because it is actually read by Russell Brandt in the audiobook.
Speaker 1: In the audio, he's the narrator. Yeah, I mean the Russell brand crossed the Aisle not long ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it was always genuine. I mean, and he was a bit again on like the more British cultural scene. He was big and until he got into those big movies.
Speaker 4: But he's trying to find some self reflective answers.
Speaker 1: I don't know that's in the sexual harassment stuff. Yeah, he probably, I don't know. He exited the Vampire Castle, but he turned right.
Speaker 4: So what's the So maybe we should just get like the core thesis of the book on the table. I don't know if either of you kind of have. I mean I can kind of give it a shot if you want. But Eric, did you like a have a way into the core thesis and maybe also why you wanted to read it, because in this case, Eric actually chose the topic.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I suggested getting back to this text because again it was one I feel I'm feeling the guilt of not having read it, even though it's such an obvious thing to read. When you're in this area of anyway. Yeah, so capitalist Realism. I wanted to read it at this time too because of Zorin's win and the kind of I think it seems to me like the mainstream establishment democrats at least are like those today who are most under the influence of capitalist realism, because you kind of have like the anti establishment right that seems to have taken over and I don't know what they I don't know how they would fit into the capitalist realist argument. Maybe they do, maybe you disagree, but they seem to be not there. And then Zorin also seems to be kind of like an anti capitalist realist challenge from within anyway. It's just it was just an opportunity to use some theory to meditate on an interesting development in democratic politics in the United States as outside observers and capitalist realism. Yeah, I mean, it's just very basically, Yeah, it's the subtitle the book, right is is there no alternative? Which is asking that question. That's rephrasing Margaret Thatcher's famous line, there is no alternative, Tina, there is no alternative to capitalism, and today that problem seems to be very dominant, especially after the fall of the USSR. Right, He's like, you know, at least in the eighties, you know, there was a clear, actual alternative to capitalism. We say, Okay, you can just point to I don't know why everyone suddenly forgets about China after nineteen eighty nine, as if they stop being communists somehow, But okay, anyway, the fall of the USSR. Now there's no alternative, like for real it seems. And you could argue China's pretty plugged into the global capitalist market despite its avowed communism.
Speaker 5: But arguably it is an al Yeah, I mean it's symbolically at the very let But anyway, it seems like we're deeper than ever into this.
Speaker 1: And you know, this Fisher text is also just a blast from the past too, you know, like I started university maybe not too long after he actually wrote this, and I remember two thousand and eight. I remember all that stuff too that he's talking about. I've seen those damn movies. He's mentioning most of them, So I mean, it's also fun for me to get back to that stuff. But yeah, capitalist realism, it is a kind of subjective belief that there is no alternative to the capitalist order. It goes a bit deeper than that too, because of the shift to post forwardism, which we'll have to get into as almost created a new situation in which work in labor seem to be changing drastically, and our relationships with our jobs and our families seem to be changing very draftically. Seems things seem to be in flux quite a bit more than they used to be. And actually capitalist realism seems in many ways to pick up or provide an alternative way of conceptualizing all this to something like say Friedrich Jameson's the Logic of Postmodernism or the Logic of late Capitalism. It's another way of talking about postmodernism with some different ideas about it for those of you, for those who may be less comfortable with using postmodernism as a way to conceptualize all of these social changes over the twentieth century and beyond. So it's not just like a simple you know, oh, there's an alternative, that's the definition of it.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: It is a cultural and historical configuration in much the same way that postmodernism is. When you use it in the way Jameson uses it, so can get into more of the specifics as we go along. But that's the general you know, that's why I was thinking of about it, And that's kind of a basic what is capitalist realism? What's Fisher're talking about here?
Speaker 4: Also the kind of Gijak saying it's like much easier to imagine an end of the world, write some sort of catastrophe than it is an end to capitalism, and like so, and that's sort of like the way and I guess like the fact that that's assuming you accept that premise, the fact that that's true is like evidence of capitalist realism existing in our sort of social political, cultural milieu.
Speaker 1: Fisher kind of attributes this equally to Gjek and jameson. Yeah, this this idea that it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism, which just and then he uses a kind of discussion of the movie Children of Men at the very beginning to illustrate this idea. But it just kind of goes towards the broader argument again of capitalist realism, right like, if it's easier to imagine the end of the world, then there really is no way we can imagine an alternative, right like our imaginative horizons have shrunk in around us in a way that means we just kind of give up. It's like this situation where now where we don't actually believe in the ideologies that we espouse. We know it's all kind of just like cynical bullshit, and yet we have to we act as if it's all true. Everything we're saying is true, and we act as if we believe in it. But that's all I was just saying. You know, like Zorin makes these promises. In one sense, yes, he's a politician. They all want to win, and he's saying these things to win cynical disavowal. But on the other hand, like we should rally behind him because these are good things and we all want these things. And there's this sort of schizophrenia contradiction there between these two things.
Speaker 4: I'm actually not convinced that renfree is are a good idea. I actually think that's kind of a bad idea. But that's a whole other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in any in any case, like the afford the general message of affordability is something everybody can get behind.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, that's crucial. I totally agree with that.
Speaker 2: Please elaborate on that wire. Rent freeze is bad under is it like bad under a certain context or just in any context?
Speaker 4: The problem with that with this is like housing availability, and when you just keep things artificially cheaper, you're just going to continue to increase demand, and it's actually just going to be harder to get an apartment, get anything.
Speaker 2: You mean that you would, you would reduce supply.
Speaker 4: You're gonna You're also going to reduce the incentive to increase supply.
Speaker 2: So I don't know about the demand, but the supply is that going to happen?
Speaker 4: Do I think that there should be like other policies that like make rent freezes possible, Like yes, I'm just saying, like in a vacuum in the current context we live in, doing a rent freeze is generally like not a good long term solution.
Speaker 1: Disagreeing with how we get there is not disqualifying you from having a leftist point of view is still like it, But the general message of affordability is like something we still even if we don't all agree on specifically how to get there. I don't think Victor secretly has like major real estate investments that he's worried about and he's like hiding them and lying to us by saying no, actually there's technical problems that would be hilarious and ballsy if that were the case, and I'd love it, not really because I'd feel betrayed, but anyway, yeah, I think he's behind.
Speaker 4: In New Zealand, there was a policy that was like a real failure, like when they had kind of the labor government, where they started giving like first time home buyers like a big tax credit and basically just like giving people more money to try to help them get a house, which sounds on paper like a good idea, but what happened is housing prices went through the roof because all of a sudden, there's more people have money to buy houses, but they're not actually building more houses. So therefore the price of houses went way up because everyone was trying to buy into market. So like, you need more than just like one policy in isolation, like you need to do more than just give people money to buy houses. You need to increase the supply of houses.
Speaker 2: You could definitely do rent freezes. It's just not a long term solution, that's what I mean. It's not a long term. So definitely it's not like it's catastrophic.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't think it's catastrophic. The way that that policy in New Zealand is.
Speaker 1: Like commodifying the housing market in general is probably more long term issue.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sorry, capitalist realism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should pivot back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can. I can bring it to that. Just I was surprised you want to talk about this boo because I was thinking of, like, this is the one book that's probably talked about too much on the left. In fact, it's so I knew that this book was something unique when a few years ago I would see people's hinge profiles like have capitalist Realism in it sometimes, and it was like one of these books you would see people.
Speaker 1: Just really quote on the dating app.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well what I mean is like you'd find normy is quote unquote nor me is. Are people who aren't really into theory like that who would know about this book and kind of like it.
Speaker 4: I think signal that they're like I'm kind of into theory. They just have like, yeah, post realism.
Speaker 1: Quote, which it is very accessible. It is very accessible a virtue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the other thing about it is that it really is like Jamison Jishak and I would say parts of Christopher lash kind of distilled in this more accessible format, although Christopher lash is very accessible and I think he's much better to be honest, But like, this book is good. I mean it resonates with people, I think because of the examples when he talks about, like in university, how there's this one idea I remember resonated with me a lot, was this idea of depressive hydonia as opposed to add hidonia, which like traditionally you can get diagnosed for not being able to feel pleasure, but he thinks the sort of zeitgeist of a lot of young people is actually this inability to not feel anything but constant pleasure. It's like addiction, but it kind of numbness as a result of that. And how you would see people in his classes like wearing headphones all the time, even if they weren't listening to anything. Yeah, you know what I mean. It was just just this obsession with always wanting to be distracted. So it resonates in terms.
Speaker 1: Of art, resonated with me definitely.
Speaker 2: In terms of what it says. You know, there's the kind of obvious like people can't imagine anything outside of capitalism, but I think there's other aspects of it that are more interesting. I know, you know, I'm curious what you guys's favorite chapter was. For me, it's Marxist Supernanny, the chapter nine, I.
Speaker 1: Believe, Yeah, the last one, I think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Marxist Supernanny has this has a point that I think gets at something a lot of other Left authors, except the likes of Jijik and maybe Lash and Jamison, get at, which is actually this idea of Marxist supernanny. Is this idea that you know what, like the left has defined itself about freedom for so long, and but what is capitalism's big, big strength. It's like constantly giving people things that they want, but not giving things them what they need. Right, it's giving them what they want but not what they need. And what is the left's role in this? Is it to like accelerate the wave of capital by you know more opening up more windows of freedom and you know, desire or is it actually to kind of be like, hey, you know what, protect us from what we want and give us what we need. Like this is the whole point about the supernanny. The supernanny. Oh, I should really probably elaborate on this super nanny for those who don't know, is this TV show in Britain which was basically about this like very menacing, big supernanny woman who would be called in by parents who had no ability to like manage their kids, and their kids would be total delinquents, misbehaving, just.
Speaker 1: Like Missus Stoubtfire type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, like kind of just like eating ten chocolate bars a day, won't want to listen to their parents and it's just video games. And usually it would often be like single mothers who need to call in, or very where I would say permissive liberal dads, So I dad's do I say? Like featured, who would be calling it would be calling in the super nanny to go manage the kids, and she would bring in this like really harsh discipline, but like in a way that would work, not just like mindless, you know, not like just beating kids or something, but just effective discipline that would put the kid's life in order and get them to actually listen, because you need that for kids to grow up, like some level of obedience. Right, And he thinks that's emblematic a little bit of capitalist culture. And then how it kind of destroys our discipline willpower through constant consumerism, and how it's in the system's interest to do that. And how if if a lot of people seem to actually kind of crave and to some extent, like I feel almost like I have I'm free, but in a way that actually hinder me. You know, Young John gets at this a lot like, how now we're masters of our own exploitation, and how maybe actually there's been a collapse of authority, but in a collapse of authority except for like capitalist hierarchies, but in all these other arrangements, like the family, there's a collapse of authority, collapse of communal authority, religious authority, and all that's good for capitalist interest to kind of colonize everything. And I thought that chapter was great, and I wish it was longer because I wish he took that logic to a bigger conclusion, because I think a lot that goes over a lot of people's heads, and that's stuff that lash in the culture and Narcissism has been saying since, you know, first book was in the seventies and in the eighties.
Speaker 4: In a way, I'm not surprised that it goes over people's heads, because it does suggest maybe some conclusions that are traditionally associated with a more right leaning or at least right right leaning analysis of culture.
Speaker 3: I mean Christopher Lash.
Speaker 4: Too, like for those of you that don't know listening, is someone that you know, I think that if you actually read him, it's not really like clear that you can just say he's a right wing figure. But the right has co opted him like recently, like the right wing, like like the post liberals have kind of like used taken a lot of inspiration from Christopher Latch But like I think I'm tempted to say that Lash would even likely reject that characterization, but well.
Speaker 2: His daughter does actually very much dislike the way he is used by the likes of Steve Bannon, because Steve Banner claims to be influenced by revolt of the elites, and when you think about that, it's not hard to see how. But Christopher Lash saw himself, as he described himself as a socialist in economics and a small sea culturally conservative on small cea culturally conservative but socialist on economics, and you start off as a full on Marxist at the beginning of his career. So he has a kind of historical materialist look at things, and he's been critical of both the left and right, Like he'd be critical of the right for not really proposing like material solutions and really speaking to superstructural things, and the left kind of actually having like weirdly capitalistic views on some like so sociocultural stuff.
Speaker 4: With like desire and enjoyment and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, he's kind of a critical kind of.
Speaker 4: Like liberal illiberal like like like hedonism basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's interesting that you brought up biunchall Han as well, because I definitely while I was going some of the parts definitely brought me back. I was like burnout society. There's definitely some big overlaps between self exploitation that that bunch Han talks about and the kind of self self surveillance that after he brought up Deluze, after Mark Fisher brings up Deluze and that that PostScript on control Society, he brings up this idea of self self surveillance, like you're internalizing these mechanisms that were once sort of seems like they were outside of you. That there that you're being You're being performance evaluated. Your performance at work is, for example, or in an interview, it's being evaluated all the time. And there's a big complicated system that that requires. Ironically, as we move deeper into neoliberalism, the anti government ideology par excellence, we end up with more and more layers of hierarchy and bureaucracy go figure Fisher points out. But one of the things we end up doing also is internalizing that performance review kind of structure, so we end up self monitoring, we end up and that, Yeah, that reminded me of of kind of Bunchulhan's argument about like what we do with with cell phones and the way we the way we we have to move from like a negativity of almost like cynicism towards ever achieving anything, to like this overabundance of positivity like work, work, work, and work.
Speaker 2: Is never done.
Speaker 1: Exploit yourself like a paradigmatic influencer is something. The longer they step away from the computer is the more chance that they're going to fade into irrelevance. So they kind of have to be and people are literally just burning out, passing out on the subways and stuff like that. There are some elements of that I think in here, but more of a materialist analysis as well, because it is all pinned down on I mean, one of the big tectonic shifts he points at is the movement from Fordism to Postforwardism, which is a little more maybe one of the more obscure things in here that people won't be quite as familiar with.
Speaker 4: Do you want to outline that transition from from Fordism to Postfwardism just for the listeners?
Speaker 1: I know, I immediately regretted bringing that up prison, like shit, I'm gonna have to fucking oh my god. So obviously it's named after like Ford himself of car Fame, where you have a physical factory and you have an assembly line and loads of employees and kind of a very clear work structure. But actually he dates the transition of Fordism to Postfordism. What was it like October nineteen seventy nine or something like.
Speaker 3: That, where.
Speaker 1: There's this shift according to I'll just read it here. According to Marxist economist Christian Marazzi, the switch from Fordism to Postfordism can be given a very specific date October sixth, nineteen seventy nine. It was on that day that the Federal Reserve increased interest rates by twenty points, preparing the way for supply side economics that would constitute the economic reality in which we are now and meshed. And what I got out of this was the movement towards much more. This word flexibility comes up, and these flexible supply lines on demands, manufacturing supply lines that are ready to sort of shift and break and pop up somewhere else. Rather than having these very stable, secure, long term supply lines, you also have you know, the offshoring of a lot of works and the diversification and globalization of all these like logistics lines too. So like Japan is one of the big then the Japanese car industry is one of the big pioneers of like on demand shipping for example, where you have very very carefully timed and tuned supply lines. You don't just have these big factories and with like tons of like parts in them anymore. Everything is on demand, on time. Everything has to be tightly regulated. But then at the same time, this flexibility creates a lot of instability too, and so Postfordism is kind of this move towards also markets where it's not about a stable commodity, it's about you know, creating new desires, shifting to accommodate what consumers are saying. And by the way, people are more considered as consumers. Now we're very used to being referred to as consumers, which is kind of a type development.
Speaker 2: I would say probably the simplest way I could think of explaining Fordism and postforism is just the transition from a producer economy to consumer economy. Like the Fordism is just you know, assembly lines. It's a company, sorry, a country where you're exporting goods for other people to consume, whether it be weapons or whatever, materials cars like America was producing more than it consumed for a while and then and you could say the ideology of that was more what Weber might call the Protestant work at you know, which is, you know, you should be a little bit more austere, you shouldn't consume too much, you should work hard, you should be disciplined. But then the shift from a consumer economy, which comes with world trade and globalization and people are consuming more and now the main way for people to get rich is to sell stuff to Americans and First World countries like in Britain, France, Canada, and so you know, with that you get an ideology that changes, like you get this is the basin superstructure thing with Marxism is like, when you people and capitalists have a means of getting rich one way, ideologies are going to kind of shift in ways that benefit that. It's not really conspiratorial, it's just that, you know, obviously it's going to mesh together just due to the nature of the interests, Like, you know, what ideologies are better for a consumer economy, one that doesn't tell you to be guilty about consuming, one that tells you actually should be guilty for not living your best life, for not consuming. And that's the kind of also get like these sort of liberation movements on the left, there's a constant debate between the like proletarian feminist wing, which I support, and the sex positive wing of feminism, which is more like, you know what, we should like legalize all sex work and let's do all that, and which I think accelerates the trends that I've got us here, you know, kind of it's a whole other topic. We don't have to go into that. But what I what I just mean is like a lot of the ideologies I think more people when they have issues with the left, they have issues with certain sociocultural tendencies, and that comes out of the sixties, which comes out of this post fort is transition, right.
Speaker 4: You're accelerating the processes if I'm hearing you're right, Tony right, Like that's kind of what you have in mind that Like, so it's not necessarily like about whatever, like legalizing prostitution in specific, but just like it's an example of something that is like that you see as consistent with this pattern of just like come out of find kind of like desires.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean.
Speaker 1: One of the big features of postfwardism is kind of like a gig economy type as opposed to like the stable work that I don't know, I guess like grandparents now in this generation had this kind of stable work, paying into a pension, having this kind of company that lays out the path before you a little bit, and maybe you probably have healthcare through your company and all that. We move much more towards like a dual income gig economy where work is contractual and expected to be temporary and you're not expect the company is no longer expected to you know, have your back on healthcare and pension and all these other things. Like the so called sort of nanny state did or forced them to do. The kind of welfare state idea corporate or at least like a kind of corporate welfare state type of consensus. Postfwordism kind of does away with that. And that's also connected to this flexibilizing of supply lines, this offshoring, this of production, this transition to a consumer economy. And he even talks about, you know, he's him and being again in this sort of I guess community college like system where he's seeing kids coming in from families that now have like overworked, dual income parents, and the parents have a lot less time to spend with the child. So he's saying, like, you know, the kids I'm seeing are seem to be like almost less and less socialized because they haven't had that like attention that a single income sort of you know, fordist family could could afford for them. Postfortism makes this makes it a lot more demanding to even have a family, which is he says, is ironic because neoliberalism depends so heavily on the factory. It's the it's the fact that the family is the fact factory of the consumers that need to buy the products that that are being made.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I caught that too in the book where I actually didn't like that because he kind of uncritically went with what is a very popular view and at leftist academia, which I think popularized kind of by Wendy Brown, is this idea that neoliberalism actually pushed the idea of the family as something to replace the safety net. But you know that is like taking Reaganist rhetoric and like the right wing faction of neoliberalism, because that's where I think this point of view ignores is that there is very much a left wing faction in neoliberalism. There's both the right and the left faction neoliberalism. And they'll say, yeah, of course the right will sometimes say the family is like the haven and the heartless world. I mean, that's not the that's actually a Marx Marx quote, but this idea of like says that about religion, though, But the family is like this thing that will replace that should be exist, but the welfare state should be abolished. But the thing is the regardless of what anyone says, is the family was just declining. You know, you see a broader decline of the family, no, regardless of what's happening. So doesn't really matter what I think is actually the overall just factual trend is that Postfordism saw a decline of the family. And it's I and I think people throw in that stuff which is like, oh, the neoliberals wanted to keep the family. No, it's that they were more like, they weren't idiots, and they knew that if you threw people off the welfare state there would be consequences to some extent, and that you had they preferred the family over you know, the welfare state, whereas a left where often prefer the welfare state over the family. I think we should have support both. Like, I think both are pretty damn important.
Speaker 1: Like worrying about the integrity of the family lately has been more of a right wing talking point in like more contemporary politics of today. Fortunately, and I mean he's I think his broader point is kind of correct. I mean, especially for the latest generation where like you know, again, the affordability crisis also makes like having a family much more difficult and expensive. And of course, but the right he tends to take this criticism and say, like the left is against family is the postmodern neo Marxist culturalists are actually like directly opposed to any kind of family.
Speaker 2: But they do say abolish the family. They just envision this idea of like a communal structure which is basically like the pre nuclear family structure of the tribal communal structure, which you know it say's not like they don't appo, they don't support family, It is that how are you just going to abolish the family and go to that structure? And they'll say, well, it's possible because past, you know, there's been past arrangements. And it's like sure, but how do you get there in this modern state? And you know, most people think that it's going to be the administrative state. And if you look at the way the left talks about childcare, like the radical left, because a lot of some some marksists supported a lot of anarchists support it, and you know, some like academics, left wing progressive academics support it, but it's not a really popular position.
Speaker 1: I think everybody is worried about whatever version of the family, whether it's the very traditionalist heterosexual nuclear family of the right where you're not allowed to have gay parents or anything, and then or the more I think ample versions you find on the left. Everyone is kind of worried about what capitalism means for the family structure, which it's connected to the move to postfwardism. Is really what I wanted to say, All these different phenomena are connected there. Yes, Postfwardism is like the movie Heat compared to like older gangster movies like The Godfather and Goodfellas are like are like the paradigmatic Fordist situations, because in The Godfather and Goodfellas you have this very traditionalist ghost of the old world Italian gangsters with these family structures and these like well, these like hard one value system that holds their almost very kind of almost slightly mysterious and ritualistic kinds of hierarchies in place, as opposed to Heat, which is just like a bunch of guys who are doing a job and aren't really like connected and to anything and not clearly not part of a family. Because at one point one of the characters wants to get married, and one of the crime bosses is like, how do you expect to help me if you're tied down with marriage? Like the idea of like rootless criminals who have no attachment to and they're much more on a hey, I kind of just compares those The Heat is like analogous to the difference.
Speaker 4: Part of the thing in this book that I always felt was maybe incomplete or taken a two face value is the structural explanation.
Speaker 3: For mental health.
Speaker 4: Okay, I guess that that it's like that, it's like, oh, like it's it's like the capitalist economic which like I'm I think that that plays a role, but it's like not the actual mechanism. And I do actually feel like maybe the family is like an important kind of question here that uh that like that I again, and I've said this before on the podcast on past topics, that uh, you know, the left is maybe not equipped enough or like too wary because of how conservative right wing coded talk about the family is and religion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and really well, when I.
Speaker 4: Really do feel like like just saying, oh, like it's because capital is is so toxic and it's not giving us the things that we need. That's why we're all depressed. I just don't think that that's a that's an incomplete.
Speaker 2: Story, because we have to work. That's the thing. The way they take it is like, oh, capitalism makes us depressed because we have to work. And it's like, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, in some cases that's true.
Speaker 2: Part like capital well, the thing about Marx, Like, remember Mark, what Marx was saying said capitalism creates alienation, not that it makes you depressed. There are different things. I mean, alienation is a does like limit your humanity. It kind of dehumanizes you in some way. But it's not like he's not saying capitalism makes you want to kill yourself. Like the rise of mental illness is is really something unpressed in it that we've been seeing and it's does zact like it's merely as a result of people now just being open about it. Like I mean, it's completely utter bowl like the fact that you have such high depression rates and suicide rates in the most rich countries. May I add I think Han takes Mark Fisher's analysis to a more strong conclusion. Like Young Johan talks about the family, but he also talks about religion and decline of rituals, where he says the decline of ritual of religion has not been completely emancipatory process because while we can say, like organized religion was really repressive and some of the superstitions of some religions were very backward and unenlightening, he thinks that you think the core strength of religion is rituals, and rituals are something that are actually good, and that is very much missing in the capitalist society. And yeah, like I think, I mean, he goes as far to say that is the cause of depression, and I think that's certainly part of it.
Speaker 1: It is interesting that he brings up the mental health crisis because that has been seeing a lot of attention, especially in universities in the last couple of years. This like sort of and obviously we got a good dose of dose of it in COVID as well, the mental health epidemic, the hidden pandemic it was called at the time or something like that. And not that I'm laughing at it. It's a serious thing having an ADHD diagnosis myself and then reading a line that runs something like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a pathology. It is a pathology of late capitalism. I'm like, yeah, I'm late capitalism man produced by money slamming together and Lena Hadrian Collider and then I popped out, and also my mother and father. But they're inconsequential to my birth. No, I mean, I take his point. These are depression and ADHD and mental health are conditions that are obviously neurologically instantiated. It's not like the scientists who are studying these things are just crazy ideologues hallucinating genes and cells and brain activity. But these sorts of things are also reflective of I don't know if he asks this in the right way, Like obviously they're biologically instantiated, but what causes them? Like what is their cause? And obviously the answer will be will like ADHD, for specifically, is one of the most genetic things they've identified, like out of out of anything. If you see someone with ADHD, like there's a huge chance that like one of their parents will have it too. It's very heritable. So that's how they would answer. But he's you know, I take his point to.
Speaker 2: Play devil's advocate. One could like you can definitely say like that adh the traits we associate that we call ADHD are genetic, But the classification of ADHD is a result of capitalism, I think is more what like Fisher would say, given that, like think about it, like why is ADHD a problem to be diagnosed? Because it makes you like the only reason why any pathologies ever really created as a pathologies? Because it renders your renders you unable to effectively integrate into the existing society. When in the case of ADHD, it's like it's not like a it doesn't make you violent, it doesn't make you completely dysfunctional. Maybe yes, but like it's just like, you know, maybe you're not as productive as you should be.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of emotional regulation problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or you're not as productive as you should be also, right, which is more mundane.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have so many days where I'm like, I'm going to get everything done today, and then at eight o'clock, I'm like, I did nothing today. In fact, I undid some things.
Speaker 2: I did yesterday.
Speaker 1: But but no, it's uh, it's the problem of separating. You know, I guess historical processes from sort of like the scientific style of explanation, right, Like we know we know things like heart attacks are modern era diseases because while people simply just died more often than they would reach the age where heart attacks became and then once life inspectancy goes up, you have new diseases to deal with. Or once the refrigerator is invented and we're not curing all of our meat, okay, like now stomach cancer is going to change its distribution, and it's the problem of separating kind of I guess subject and object in that sort of way too. It's like, okay, well, then what's is refrigeration the cause of heart attacks? Like they you know it doesn't of course, of course there's like it's so there's lots of different ways to explain those sorts of things, and ADHD and depression are examples. But then you know it's no coincidence that you have this like massive pharmaceutical company. I remember the last time they changed my my ADHD medication. I can't remember if I mentioned this. I'm not on it anymore, but last time they just changed it on me without asking, and I looked at it and the new place the factory was located in Israel. It went from a factory from Sweden to a factory of in Israel. And then I was just like, and they didn't think that like asking me about this.
Speaker 3: We wait.
Speaker 4: So it was the same medication. It just happened to be one that was made in Israel.
Speaker 1: Now it was a generic that they started offering. So once once a generic comes out when there was no generic before, your insurance company says we're not going to cover the normal one. We're only going to cover the generic now. And apparently sometimes the also the pharmacy will just switch you onto the generic without even telling you, so then suddenly your medication is different. And I looked up the factory that was being made in It wasn't Sweden anymore, it was in Israel.
Speaker 4: You'd rather support those blonde Swedes than those than those Jews in Israel.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, definitely That's what I was getting at.
Speaker 2: And also.
Speaker 1: Also all of it's connected. These material developments, developments of science, history, culture, society. Obviously they all interact, and it's really kind of crazy to try to separate and isolate these things. But yeah, anyway, back getting back to sorry.
Speaker 4: Well, I just want to I want to bring it back for sure to sort of like the capitalist realism and maybe like how we can use this to think about contemporary stuff. I mean, this was originally inspired partly by Eric's observations about the reactions to Zoron's when in New York, but I guess like before getting to that, I also kind of I've been meaning and I wasn't sure where to fit it in. Just to comment about this the sort of thought experiment that I've mentioned before that I've used with students about, you know, it's easier to imagine the.
Speaker 2: End of the world.
Speaker 4: I guess I just want to start by throwing a little bit of cold water on that, because I guess it's not surprising to me if you think about it. Why it's easier to imagine the end of the world because it's simple, Like it's like an asteroid hits the world. It's not complicated. It's like people are going to die, you know, like there's going to be droughts, Like it's not like the things that could destroy the world are relatively simp Mass destruction is like not complicated. Making sure that everybody has like a good material means is complicated.
Speaker 3: Like that's why it's harder.
Speaker 4: To imagine, because it's actually complicated. So I don't know if you guys disagree with me, but I guess I guess I just think that the little the fun thought experiment is actually like not as revealing to me as it seems, because to me, it's actually not a mystery why it's harder to imagine alternatives because it is actually a very complicated problem, whereas destroying every human on the planet Earth is not that complicated.
Speaker 1: It is certainly like a catchy little slogan that really drives the point home. It's easier to imagine, and our cultural imaginary is definitely much more jam packed with disaster films and climate and zombie and plague and whatever. Other ends of the world's kind.
Speaker 4: Of even in the conversation we've been having now, like we've sort of been talking about the balance between and Tony I think up really like interesting stuff with regard to Christopher Lash and just sort of this like the fact that, okay, like if capitalism is just about satisfying desires, well it's no wonder that there's going to be some sort of emptiness to that.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: So then it's we've sort of been dancing around this idea that you know, we haven't been framing it in terms of alternatives, right, But there's a way in which our conversation was sort of talking about, well, what do we really need in our society?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: And I think Chapter nine, I guess, is sort of onto some of these ideas that you know, well, we need some kind of paternalism, some sort of way to encourage more discipline or something like that, right, because just Giving people more of what they want, i e. To satisfy their sort of hedonistic desires. Well, that's not really going to do it in a way because I mean it may might help, right, like I mean just giving people stuff, but maybe like the more fundamental problems that Fisher is talking about in this book, well we're not really just going to solve them necessarily by just giving people like more liberal freedom in the sense of just more or more hedonistic freedom. And then so like even so as my point of bringing that up and rehashing that is, like we are noticing the complexity because there's like so many like competing interests and desires and concerns about like what actually constitutes a good life that's worth living in a society. What's a thing that constitutes a good society. Well, maybe it's rituals and patterns and family. I mean, these are like I'm saying, these are complicated problems, right, these are not This is not like like imagining an alternative that addresses all of those things that we've been talking about is seems to me to be actually like a huge puzzle.
Speaker 1: My idea with this thinking about Zorin was just that well, clearly, like conservatives disagree and that, and they would say it's very easy apparently for them to imagine the end of capitalism because Zorin apparently represents a threat because he's being called a communist. I think, like just just recently, Trump was just agreed that he's a communist and was going to look into deporting him, and like Homeland Security had a meeting about him and all this shit, Like there's some panic going around. And so apparently for them, it is easy to imagine the end of capitalism because a New York mayor could end capitalism, apparently by the way they're reacting. But that's the point, right, how do you distinguish their rhetoric from the reality that they're like, they're not talking about a reality at all. Anyway, as far as Zorin can go, he's just going to be able to draw a happy face, which is fine.
Speaker 2: So there's this tendency, and I've talked about it with other people on my podcast One Time Radio, and it's this tendency for the left to affirm or support something that inadvertently either is it commentative to capitalism, benefits capitalism, or affirms something that is already happening under capitalism. A good example is this authority question, like the family arguments, you often hear in favor of abolishing the family, or against the likes of you know, Biancho Han's view, or the likes of Christopher Lash's view, or just anyone who wants to defend the family. They'll say, well, the existing family is oppressive, and that sometimes you know, if when kids are and don't have you know, real freedom, I mean, their parents have custody and all that. If you have a bad parent, you're fucked. And now they're not wrong about that. However, their solution is to look at broken families and to say, you know what the solution is, we should just do away with the family. And I think it's silly and naive, because yes, this is something that is bad, like that some people have really bad luck. In fact, a lot of the people who make this very argument come from broken families, which gives them a sort of bias in the where they'll say, you know, if they'll project what is really ultimately a family trauma onto their politics, and I think, damn, don't ruin it for the rest of us. But like, also, it's just not a great solution. What I think we should look at is why not that we should get rid of the structure necessarily, or like I don't think there's only one structure, but that we should think that we're wise enough that we have figured out this clear alternative to like the family structure. I think, you know, you have we really careful before you embrace the politics of like, you know, let's get rid of that.
Speaker 4: I think the real thing is the construction a society of just deconstructing everything, deconstruct gender, deconstruct family.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, we should look at like, Okay, we should have better authorities, Like that's that's the question, is we should have We shouldn't help families so that we have as we have less broken homes.
Speaker 4: Don't get rid of binaries, just have better binaries.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, I don't know if i'd go that, but like, actually, actually, you know what, I'm pretty much I'm very I'm pretty against the gender binary. But that's another whole topic.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I just meant.
Speaker 4: I just meant in the sense of like these authoritative like ways of thinking about things that like it's not that there's a problem with like authority per se, it's just a problem some people think there is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some people.
Speaker 2: People think there is. In fact, like this is a kind of streak you find in Wilhelm Reich's sort of view. Wilhelm Reich was this guy who thought that the family was oppressive. We covered him, didn't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about him a couple of weeks back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the family was oppressive. It gets people to bay authority because the family's a first cell of fascist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, holy shit, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: What he's right about is what Hegel kind of says in the philosophy of right is that the family is the first cell of the state. And unless you think you can live with no state, then you'd think that view is ridiculous. I think the idea of like the family is.
Speaker 1: Where ideology is shaped for Reich.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, but this is this is the kind of thing this anti this pro hetero, this anti authority, this blanket anti authority politics.
Speaker 1: It's just having sexually repressive parents. What's more authoritarian? Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of people who find themselves attracted to politics that are, you know, against all authority as such. And often you see this a lot in the way some of the left intellectuals who are on this sort of side like to use Nietzsche. They like to use Nietzsche and kind of forget about as aristocratic hierarchical politics and just take the kind of anti authority part and you know, embrace that kind of like Adulus doayes this actually, you know, and how he uses Nietzsche, And a lot of the people who find themselves attracted to this sort of thing, they think in their own shoes and that's it. They think, well, you know, I can, I can be a free thinking individual and I'm perfectly fine without any authority structures. You know. It's to say that everyone can't be can be like that, And it's like, one, you're probably an adult. Two, if you are a kid, this would be bad. Three. Also, not everyone is like you. This is the thing that a lot of people who are intellectuals get attracted to this politics because they are by default people who are inclined to this sort of freethinking, free spirited view. Not everyone wants to be like that. Not everyone wants to be like that for everything in every matter. Like I'll give you an example. I'm very like, you know, forward thinking, free thinking on political matters, intellectual matters. But when it comes to like I don't know, deciding where to eat or deciding certain thing. I prefer other people decide. I like. I love it when people decide, you know. I love it when someone who knows their shit about something just goes and does it.
Speaker 3: Last night, I decided we go to Patua.
Speaker 4: You know, which is a good A good Jamaican Asian fusion restaurant in Toronto anyway, Okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you just docks to everybody, dude, Anyway, They're great. The broader point here is about authority. I don't think authority is inherently bad. I really don't. It's a matter of better authority and the outcomes that it leads to some people who find themselves attracted to like just anti authority politics. It went well with neoliberalism, partially because you know, when you get this crackdown on the welfare state that comes largely from the right, starting already with the seventies, but you have, like, at the same time, the new left politics is so anti bureaucracy, and part of that's you know, legitimated, Like it's part of that's legitimate and that there is a real critique of bureaucracy. But it'll have as like libertarian politics that actually mesh very well with the new spirit of capitalism. You know, the new spirit of capitalism was all about getting government off your back, about delegating stuff to the market. I think sometimes man like, because I had never found the systems of the Soviet Union appealing. If I was alive in the sixties, I could see myself getting going from a you know, new leftist to a you know, neoliberal. I mean, a lot of left ease became neoliberals. That is a fact. In fact, there's this book called the left Wing Origins of Neoliberalism that's about how a lot of like people used to be like full on Marxist Soviet sympathizers, and after they got disenfranchised, they thought, well, you know what, maybe the market is the way to a freer society, maybe even a socialist society, because you have like this, it's more liberating than the state. And it's we look back on that like, oh, that's like a you know, I would never believe that, But I don't know. Man. The way the the left has marked pro I would call like the dominant form of feminism today market feminism gender ideology, This idea of choosing a million genders it's so marketized. Think about it like the marketplace of genders, the marketplace of ideologies.
Speaker 1: I don't know, that's a that's a tough one. That's a tough one. I think there's a difference between.
Speaker 4: Your sciritu agree by the woke mob.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think there's a difference between trying to like analyze what's going on in any of these situations and then navigating the distinction between facts and values, which can never really be separated. But it's not like every time we're describing something, we're also advocating a very specific solution to it, right, just like what opened us up with the housing thing. Right, Like we would all agree on affordability, but maybe not all of us would agree that freezing housing prices is the pathway to affordability in that in at least in where housing comes into it. But I think also, you know, saying okay, all these genders and reflects some kind of market ideology, and then even that, what's the problem with that? There's there's a certain level of analysis lackings that I can't agree or disagree with statements like that because I just don't know what the fuck, where the fuck they're even coming from and what the problem is in the first place. But anyway, that is to say, I don't know the answer to the gender stuff there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess do we want to mentions?
Speaker 4: Talk about Zoran a bit like because I'm you know, as a as a student of political as a doctor in the philosophy of political science, I was looking into it. What power does the mayor have in New York in general, Like for the mayor to be able to do any of his core policies, he would need at least some funding authority from from the state government. And this and the governor I forget her name, Hochel or something like that. Maybe I'm mixing it up. She basically said, like she's not going to increase taxes on anyone, like she just said, and because she's been asked like, are you gonna do the things that are necessary for like him to implement his policy to for example, create like a like childcare in New York City, like she would need to or he would need to appropriate like funding, and the only way that he can do that is by going to the state capitol.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so I was just saying, like that's not going to happen. So like his core policy is just not not realistic. It's not because I'm not in favor of them, it's just about like the institutional reality that like then that there's only so much that the New York Mayor can do. I mean, maybe he can so to freeze rents he needs so, I know that there's like something called like the Rental rate like review board in New York City, and the mayor does have the power to appoint those members, but the mayor can't directly like freeze rents.
Speaker 2: He would need to.
Speaker 4: Get that board to agree to freeze rents. And he's not allowed to fire people from the board unless it's for misconduct, so like he would have to like if so, you know, he would have to find an excuse to fire all the members of the board and then implement his own who are going to promise to freeze rents. So it's just like those are just like the kinds of fine institutional details that I was looking at. I was like, well, it's his platform is just like not gonna fucking happen.
Speaker 1: So and no matter how much she feels like kind of a breath of fresh air and a real turn and at least like municipal politics and or even a real turn in politics and the Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: We need a new system in san Antoni will agree with me.
Speaker 3: We need sortition, we needs.
Speaker 1: The other problem here though, is another a concept called interpassivity that that comes up here in this text. And interpassivity. Well, he's talking about the film, Wally, but it's a broader point, right, So he says about it that the film, it is a great film. The film performs are anti capitalism for us. It's a it's an eco catastrophe movie.
Speaker 2: He brings up.
Speaker 1: So what but and it's a great film, and he has some criticisms of it, But what he wants to get out is this concept interpassivity, which means capitalism anti The film performs are anti capitalism for us, allowing us to continue to consume with impunity. And so this is the problem when and we you even get this even from more like Marxist, like more more even like more hardline leftists, is like, well, I'm not I'm against Zorin because he's not like radical enough. He's not he's not a true Marxist. He has critiques of capitalism, but there are critiques from within capitalists and.
Speaker 3: Blah, blah blah.
Speaker 1: He's not enough, and he's ultimately damaging because he's going to perform. I don't know, that's almost seems like he could. And Victor's skeptical attitude may then be appropriate. Here is that Zorin could put us into this interpassive state where because the problem is, you know, this spectacle of him winning could be taken as oh, great, I don't need to do anything anymore. I don't need to get out there and support him because he's going to do my anti capitalism for me. And whether or not he does is obviously just a question that has to be left to the future. But it goes to the broader point that when you have fascism, when you have communism, you need propaganda with those things you need to argue. But he's saying here, the role of capitalist this is a quote, the role of capitalist ideology is not to make explicit and explicit case for something in the world that propaganda does, but to conceal the fact that the operations of capital don't depend on any sort of subjectively assumed belief. Capitalism doesn't need you to believe it works for it to work, and apparently, according to this argument, Fascism and communism are things that require you to believe them to work for them to work. So in capitalism and capitalist realism, you can have this state where I don't believe money is real, but I act as if it is, or I don't believe this works, but I act as if it does work. Right, you get into this Capitalism capitalist realism is this unique situation that produces that. And the danger of interpassivity is, you know, whenever any spectacle comes along like Zorin winning or the squad winning or Burnie gaining ground, right, the danger is that it can relax us into passivity because it's like we see, it's obviously the media system that we're not going unless you're going in person to their rallies and hearing them speak. You're probably getting this information from the media. So you have a spectacle of anti capitalism and you relax and say everything's good, and you pay attention to something else. You go back to, you resume your Lord of the Rings movie or whatever you were watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a performative ritual at this point, like in art galleries or a lot of these artistic events where people will say and then then that's why laid capitalism. I see a lot of video essayists. It's strange, like there's this interesting thing where like bread tube started, Like this category of bread tube is this fascinating thing on YouTube because it includes a lot of channels that are frankly aren't very political at all. But every now and then, and they're like three hour long analysis of Harry Potter or whatever film or video game, they'll say something something late capitalism, and it's almost like a ritual and that's the disavowal you mentioned, you know, like this fetishistic disavowal, which is to be like, yeah, I acknowledge it, but you know, whatever is Usually he talks a lot about this. How like the way in which Mao is China would deal with criticism, you know, like in Dissent, he quotes Mao at a meeting, how he would say, okay, guys, whatever criticisms you have of our party, just shit it out. Let it out like a shit. And the way describing it like a shit, like just get it out, like just out of the way so we can move on life as usual. It is kind of the way we treat like sometimes like our ritualistic anti capitalism. You know, it's like okay, you know, yeah, it's bad whatever, not think about it.
Speaker 1: Capitalism itself is the biggest purveyor of anti capitalism. Yeah, capitalism, like movies, music, or the cultural sphere is full of anti capitalist messages. Reality shows are a good example of all this postfortist and capitalist realist stuff too, because reality shows are something that are affected by what they say, which is an interesting situation. So it's like what you say is real also somehow affects what is real. And I guess the point is, you know, you can have a reality show and then the audience can react, and you can incorporate audience reactions back into the supposedly realistic and unscripted show, and there's a feedback loop between what people are saying and what is happening, and then so what is real in that circuit, like it becomes a little less clear. And that matches the point too of interpassivity and the fact that capitalist ideology doesn't require a case to be made for it. In fact, capitalist ideology works best when you're not making a case for it, and so you can behave in whatever way you want, you know, as long as you believe this is all bullshit, then you can still do it. And I'm sure every Silicone Valley capitalist.
Speaker 2: Is like that.
Speaker 1: You know, oh, I know money is completely just paper and worthless and or just bits on a computer. Now if you're talking about those people, But I'm gonna act. I'm gonna conduct my life as of getting as much of this ship as possible is the most important thing.
Speaker 2: So there you go. My prediction is they're gonna get a huge return of trad culture, but it's gonna be super commodified and ironic, and it's gonna be totally ineffective. It's gonna be a bunch of people who are like, I'm a trad cath. Now you already see what the likes of like red Scare podcast, where they're like they consider themselves to be trad cath but are they really though, And you know, you people who will like flaunt the kind of like crosses, but at the end of the day, they'll do the same stuff and nothing will change. Capitalism will continue.
Speaker 4: Do you think there's gonna be any growth of real trad Like do you think that your generation's gonna have gonna have kids sooner like our zoomers? Do you think zoomers are gonna have kids, maybe uh sooner than millennials.
Speaker 2: I don't think they'll have a choice. It's not like it's they can barely buy a house. Yeah, that's forget having forget having kids.
Speaker 4: So the trend's gonna the trend will conte.
Speaker 2: Look. I have friends who have master's degrees in like engineering and chemistry, and like, really, you know, you would think employable, employable degrees, and they can't even find a job. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: I would expect the family structure to continue to be challenged under capitalism, as as Fisher's saying here as we're seeing, and I would not be surprised if trad came back, because a lot of what trad is is just kind of playing house right, like like very traditional family roles, childbearing, stay at home wife, brett winning father, like kind of this nostalgia for Fordism. It is a it is a it's a fortist fantasy. I'm sure it'll get stronger if things continue in the direction they're going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I think that's interesting. Well, I think that was a good episode, guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening everyone.
Speaker 1: And yeah, thanks for indulging my choice.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 4: I think if we really never talked about or never covered a capitalist realism on an early episode. I'm glad we did, and even if we did, it was probably appropriate to revisit it. Tune in next week for Kim Jong Pills to be back back in the driver's seat, and do check out Tony's YouTube channel one dime and his podcast one Diime Radio. And yeah, we'll leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We should thank our guests for joining us, Thank you for Ross for that.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I went substitute teacher and didn't get bullied.
Speaker 1: All right, win win, all right, chow stop recording