Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A bunch of stories that are going on.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the man suspected of killing a Minnesota lawmaker and wounding another did surrender to officers last night. They found him in some woods near his home. He was arrested in charge with two counts of murder two counts of attempted murder. He apparently posed as a police officer when he shot a Democratic House Speaker Melissa Hortman. Former House Speaker Melissa Hortman and her husband Mark. He also shot a senator, State Senator John Hoffman and his wife Yvette. They suffered multiple gunshot wounds each. John Hoffman was shot nine times, his wife Yvette was shot eight times. They both went through surgery and are expected to survive if Vett apparently shielded their daughter from the gunshots. Wow an adult daughter, but she was not injured in the attack and was able to work the.
Speaker 1: One who called nine to one one. Wow.
Speaker 3: Wall Street Journal reports that Iran has been urgently signaling that it wants an end to hostilities and resumption of talks over its nuclear program, although they don't do that publicly, Tehran has apparently told other Arab state officials that they would be open to returning to the negotiating table as long as the United States does not join in the current series of attacks that Israel has leveled against that country.
Speaker 1: Well, I mentioned I saw some No King's protests down in Huntington Beach, saw some pro Trump action there as well. Listened to Michael Monk's reports yesterday, caught that from two to four where he was fielding calls from people who saw what they saw over the weekend, and Michael Monks adjoins US now. And I didn't spend much time on Twitter or social media or the internet really this weekend, Michael, But I did hear one of your talk back callers say that there were fake numbers of protesters, which I found to be interesting because I don't know how you fake the overhead shots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you were on Twitter and or X as we call it now. Unfortunately, it's hard to adjust to that abrupt change for something that's been so important to journalists for so long. But it is X and I'm on there all the time, scrolling and falling deeper into depression. But I can tell you that over the weekend, it depends on who you voted for, on how you saw what was playing out. And that's pretty much the case for everything. Even this Minnesota there were good numbers.
Speaker 1: And numbers in LA she would expect. But I just is it because people were saying that the pictures that they saw were the scope of them was not fully telling. Yes, it's from that angle, it looks like a lot of people, but it wasn't really that is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because at the same time you had the military parade going on in Washington, d C. And so folks who are maybe on the Democratic side or farther looking at this and saying, look that, turnout.
Speaker 2: There's nobody there. Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's completely competition all day, every day on stuff that really doesn't matter, rather than getting into the grit of the policy. So it's who's got more friends. I've got more friends than this guy has, and you know anytime that you can use. Of course, the president himself is notorious for this, ratings, crowd sizes, hand size. You know, this is something that's very important to him and is now filtered out into broader American society, and this is definitely what people were complaining about all weekend. Nobody was at the military parade. Nobody was at the No Kings or if you just acknowledge the military parade, what a dud this was.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody had a good time there. This looks so poorly orchestrated.
Speaker 4: The soldiers weren't marching correctly, or the No Kings saying, oh yeah, big deal. We woke up this morning. We still don't have a king. Great job, No Kings people, you know we didn't have one to begin with.
Speaker 3: Post he said, you guys have done a great job. We still don't have a king. Thanks for all your hard work.
Speaker 4: He may have plagiarized that. I did see that. I had seen it earlier from others. I mean, that was the kind of messaging that was going on. What I think I observed in downtown Los Angeles where I covered it for is on Saturday afternoon, was the crowd was an immense, but it wasn't intense the way that some of the in your face kind of protest outside the Federal building and when the National Guard and the Marines might be involved, because this isn't that crew.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 4: I don't want to use this as a pejorative, of course, but you might hear the phrase latte liberal. I mean this was people who voted for Hillary Clinton, people who voted for Kama Harris, very enthusiastic.
Speaker 1: That was the vibe that I got when I saw the protests as well.
Speaker 4: These are people who have bad feelings about the current administration. This was scheduled before these immigration enforcement efforts really ramped up, so it was more broadly focused against the Trump administration and their various policies. And it brought a lot of people downtown, which was kind of needed because of the curfew that's going on. It was in the late afternoon, early evening hours that the vibes shifted again because the geography of the event shifted. Was back outside that Federal building and a lot of those usual characters showed up. It was also interesting to note, if I may quickly, it's not just Republicans or conservatives that dislike the No Kings.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you who really.
Speaker 4: Hates the No Kings protest, the leftist, the folks in LA that love to antagonize the police, the military. You saw a lot of criticism from online LA the people who are just inferior. Oh, you know, this is not how you protest. In essence, this isn't how you protest. If you have a list of things you shouldn't be doing at the protest, this isn't a protest, you know, and very explicitly said, these are people Democrats who were trying to hijack our momentum, our movement. Don't let them do that.
Speaker 5: And that's what that's the problem with the Democrats. They eat each other. Well, these folks aren't Democrats. I mean the ones who were downtown are And so I've continually tried to make the distinction here because I think it's just political interesting.
Speaker 1: But it's a people that go after the late liberals that get the headlines and get called democrats and then everyone thinks that everyone's that crazy.
Speaker 4: You nailed it, because if you see a leftist, if you will again, I'm not using that as a majority of they would proudly wear that a leftist set away moo on fire. That person probably did not enthusiastically vote for Kamala Harris. If you voted for Kamala Harris at all, but you can bet that he will be in a campaign ad against a run of the mill, mainstream democratic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it is often those leftist positions that get attached to more mainstream or moderate whose policies you may still disagree with, but it's not a true reflection of their politics.
Speaker 1: Just like the guy who shot and killed the lawmakers in Minnesota, he'll be used in the campaign ads.
Speaker 2: For the left.
Speaker 1: Look at what Trump supporters do. I mean, it's an awful place we are with the rhetoric, it really is.
Speaker 4: I mean, in the immediate aftermath of that shooting, that's where a lot of the terminally online folks, including unfortunately some members of Congress, go is, how do we find out who this guy voted for so that we can pendant on him rather than coming to terms with what was clearly a tragedy. Yeah, let's get some facts before we ascribe the politics of this man so that we can somehow gain from it politically.
Speaker 3: And there's got to be a certain amount of self reflection no matter who you are, what political side you're on. I mean, Governor Tim Walls comes out and says, we can't have this divided political environment like this. This is never This is never okay. Political violence is never okay. Okay, that's fine to say, you're the governor of the state. Now lock yourself in a room and go through all the times in your own head where you've said things that were over the line. Yeah, for both sides, not just because he was running for vice president. I mean there are you reach a certain level of politics in this country. There's a great chance that you've had to step on people to get where you are. So let's maybe do a little bit of reflection and think to yourself. Okay, maybe I am also of even part of this completely polarized political discoord.
Speaker 4: But Gary, you're asking for introspection and self reflection, and I just don't think folks are.
Speaker 2: Willing to do that.
Speaker 1: I am asking you to stay for another segment.
Speaker 2: I'd happily do that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Dodgers pitching debut tonight, Redundant as La hosts The Padres, the first time oh Tani has pitched in the Major League since undergoing that right elbow surgery back in twenty twenty five or twenty twenty three. Excuse me, we thought that he wasn't going to make an appearance on the mound till after the All Star break.
Speaker 3: But here he is, yeah, on Blake Snell Bobblehead night at Dodger Stadium. The judge overseeing Sean Comb's federal trial dismissed one of the jurors. Today, lawyers have acknowledged that the jury is diverse, but they did not want to see this guy kicked off. They said that the guy the juror who was dismissed, is black. The alternate juror who will replace him is white. Prosecutors raised the issue last week after this juror, in casual conversation with one of the members of the court staff, said that he just moved in with his girlfriend in New Jersey, but during jury selection he said that he lived in the Bronx with his fiancee. So the judge said, sounds like you're just trying to make some money off of this book deal.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, so they kicked him off the jury.
Speaker 1: So a little bit of confusion. The Trump administration has directed immigration officers to pause arrests at farms, restaurants, and hotels. This after Trump expressed a bit of alarm about the impact of aggressive enforcement. Stephen Miller, the architecturally of Trump's immigration policies, said that ICE was going to target three thousand arrests a day, which Michael Monks actually heard you talking about this yesterday on your show. Seems a lot if you're just going after the worst of the worst criminals, even though this administration or the mouthpieces for the administration have said no, if you're here illegally, you should be worried, period. But three thousand arrested day, obviously is not just going after the worst of the worst. Now, the President came out and said, you know, these are good people. I don't remember exactly what his words were, to which people who advocate for people here illegally said, yeah, they are. They're all mostly very good people. So is his messaging going to change, are his orders going to change as he realizes that it's not just people in farms, restaurants and hotels that are good people? Or where are we with that? And is that message resonating on the street.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you can listen to anything the president says and then wait a couple weeks and see if it is shifted at all. We think about the tariff policy the way that it's been the tariffs are on, the tariffs are off. It does end up having real impact on the way people feel. That's how you see it reflected an opinion pulling about it. How do you feel about the economy or how businesses prepare for the inventory that they will have available in the summer. Should I order now? Should I order later? What are the prices going to be? Should I take out a loan right now? When you waffle on your positions and you're the president, it creates a sense of anxiety. There's already anxiety for illegal immigrants here in Los Angeles, but I can tell you it is visible because the fashion district is dead. Santi Ali is dead, Downtown is mostly dead. The curfew is playing a big role in a lot of that. Tons of buildings downtown covered in wood as if there were a hurricane and the forecast, I mean plywood on the last bookstore. I mean iconic landmarks in downtown LA are covered in wood. But all of those little cheap shops that people like to frequent on the weekends, Santi Ali, Los Angeles Street, the flower district would typically be hopping on a beautiful weekend like what we just had, and it was tumbleweeds everywhere. So if people feel like certain sectors are going to be better protected than others, it's not playing out in real time because I'm hearing even from folks who work in restaurants that employees aren't coming and they're calling about what's the vibe. There was a fast food restaurant downtown that had an ice truck go through the drive through and like, I think they were just picking up lunch, and it terrorized people who work there.
Speaker 3: Speaking of curfew, what is the plan for that? We know that Karen bass Mayor had said it's going to stay in effect for now, I mean for an unforeseen amount of time from eight pm until six am. When she first imposed it, she was asked what would be the criteria to lift it, and the one of her criteria was she wanted to have a night with zero arrests.
Speaker 2: Are we in moving in that direction? We seemed to be there last night.
Speaker 4: Last night was relatively calm, I say relative compared to Saturday Friday, all of the days leading up to it, all the way back to last Sunday when it really got Harry Day night into Monday morning is when we saw all that violence. The vandalism and looting in downtown LA, and that prompted the curfew. I talked to the two founders of the Downtown LA Residents Association, and incidentally, last night they sent an email, and I'm on this list, so I got the email. Didn't participate in the survey, but I got the email and it was asking, we need urgent response from people. What do you want to do about the curfew? Three options, end it now, phase it out, or keep it going. About two hours later, they say they got about three hundred responses and a combined eighty percent we're either in this curfew now or start to phase it out immediately, with only like twelve percent saying keep the curfew going. And that's because if you're in downtown LA, you're already struggling. It's expensive, and the environment down there is not always inviting to folks to come down and spend their money. If you are a restaurant owner, if you're a bar owner, you haven't been able to do anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, the curfew. What are you going to open up for breakfast? You can't.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make any business sense. So you've been hit really hard. It's not sustainable. It's just not sustainable, and so it does have to end at some point. But the caveat is the immigration enforcement is clearly going to continue. I would expect that demonstrations against immigration enforcement will continue. How does it all end? That's what I keep asking all weekends. How does it end? And I don't have an answer for that. I don't think anybody does. But I think that if immigration enforcement's going to escalate at the directive of the President, that the demonstrations could escalate as well. And anytime that there's that sort of disorder, there are a lot of bad actors who want to take advantage of that and start breaking into the stores again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's an option whether it picks up steam or it fizzles out. And I just don't know because I'm not down there, so I don't know where the energy level is, but you can usually tell.
Speaker 2: Right it feels like covid era down there.
Speaker 4: And I think about Friday night, I left here, went home, and I'm just kind of hanging around, you know. Sometimes Friday night You're like, I'm just obviously we're going to stay in. There's nowhere to go because we live down there. You know, what I want McDonald's. I'm going to go find something because I'm a resident and i'm a member of the media.
Speaker 1: McDonald's we have two.
Speaker 4: There's one on the other side of skid Row on Alameda, and then there's another one on Olympic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we'll go to stop at the Alameda one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good one. I mean, they're all very fast. I got two lanes, very kind kids. I get a M chicken. I love a MC chicken. I was like, I want to McChicken. It's kind of like the chick fil A. I don't think we give McDonald's mc chicken enough credit. Chick fil A is really good too, but they got the pickle on there, like the chick fil a does too much.
Speaker 1: Though the mcchicken's a perfect snack, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I want to MC chicken. And my spouse is like, you're not supposed to go out. You're not supposed to go out, but if you do, I will like a big mac. So I go hunting for this. You're going.
Speaker 4: The one on Alimedo was closed, but on the drive down there, I mean, even in skid Row, which is often lively for all the wrong reasons. Ghost Town, I did have to find the one on Olympic Oh, you know, and they gave me a doctor pepper instead of the day.
Speaker 2: All right, it's all right. I was glad that they were open.
Speaker 4: But gas stations close, restaurants closed, and then in the afternoon you think, okay, well this isn't a few hour But then the Immigration Enforcement is hanging over the head of a lot of illegal immigrants who work down there, and it's dead.
Speaker 2: It's just completely dead. Oh that the mc chicken was good.
Speaker 1: It always is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good. Not disappointed, No, I was really glad I did it.
Speaker 1: I haven't had one for a while.
Speaker 2: Michael Munk always a pleasure, guys.
Speaker 6: Right, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Big stories of course, today is the arrest and now federal charges that have been filed against the man suspected of killing a Minnesota lawmaker and wounding another. There were some issues early on yesterday. They said they were going to charge this guy with second degree murder, that it wasn't premeditated. They were able to explain that Mary Moriarity is the county attorney there in Hennepin counties are.
Speaker 7: The highest charges we can file by complaint, and it needed to be done quickly to get the warrant out. Mister Bolter was taken into state custody, and our office intends to pursue first degree murder charges against mister Bolter.
Speaker 3: There was some pushback originally, I guess there was a concern that the prosecutors in Hennepin County specifically were, as we like to say in the old in the olden days here in LA, progressive prosecutors, which were considered to be lighter on crime. But she explained the way they had to get the warrant right away was to file secondary murder charges. They can be upgraded to first degree and they're still saying that the death penalty is on the table for that guy.
Speaker 1: Progressive prosecutors are often just defense attorneys that are marauding as prosecutors, pretending I've seen rodding.
Speaker 2: That's good, though.
Speaker 1: They worked their way into the other side like a trojan horse situation. Another chilling angle to that story is that this guy stopped at two other homes. He stopped at the home of a state representative in Maple Grove and a state senator in New Hope in between those two attacks I imagine being those families as well.
Speaker 3: And why wouldn't he I mean, these were in the middle of the morning, middle of the morning and middle of the night, two in the morning, whatever it was, why wouldn't he have stopped.
Speaker 2: At those places?
Speaker 1: For whatever?
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't have gotten out?
Speaker 1: Whether it was security gates didn't like the vibe, there are people outside, people inside, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, he did stop those two homes, but obviously did not enact the carnage he did it the other two. The bookended those two stops.
Speaker 3: There was a lot that was made out of this, and I'm not sure that it needed to have a lot made out of it, although it's unusual. Stu Mundell Box eleven helicopter by a longtime helicopter guy, had a live therapy session is the way described about a separation his feelings for bourbon. He was flying over downtown Culver City to get to one of the No Kings protests that was taking place, and was apparently answering questions from viewers.
Speaker 2: Basically just a live YouTube feed.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you go live, it's all on the table, right whatever you're doing, if you want to answer questions, and he was just super honest. Now I haven't taken in a lot of Stu Mandel's reporting over the years, but what I can remember, he's just a matter of fact guy. He's just like he's not missed. Look, I'm very serious. I'm a traffic reporter, and I will just give you the traffic. He seems to be just like a dude that would be your friend up in the sky reporting on the traffic. So this is kind of like in line with whatever vibe I've picked up on over the years. He's just honest with people about what's going on in his life.
Speaker 3: He didn't denigrate anybody. He was careful about the things that he said. He was honest about what he said. He was honest about his feelings. He wasn't mean to anybody. He was just processing through this conversation, just a little bit of it.
Speaker 8: I am I am married. I am I am legally married. I am legally married. That's about the only way you can really say it. I am legally married. But I am not looking at now at all. I I just had a bunch of debacles with my personal life. Yes, it's true. I know it's hard to believe somebody that doesn't even know what he's talking about in a relationship, and you know, but yeah, I got nothing right now, got nothing, got nothing, not really looking you know, I'm trying to trying to find myself and be happy. I'm being serious about them.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: And as somebody asked, are you married? Are you looking for love? I mean, that's one of the main questions that's going to happen if you open it up and you're you know, it's just it's just a common human question. And there were people who reacted to this as if it was a breakdown of some sort, him dropping f bombs or going after management or even worse, going after coworkers by name or something like that.
Speaker 2: And it's so far away over there there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got the link and I thought, oh no, what's this And then I'm just kind of.
Speaker 3: Like, eh, if you're somebody. One commenter wrote to Fox eleven, this is a PR disaster for me. This guy should get a raise. It's not a PR disaster. It's it's proof I'm a human. Yeah, it's proof he's a real guy. He's a real guy. He's going to be on with Conway today at four o'clock and he's going to talk about that.
Speaker 1: I love it when people on TV have moments of realness. It's why that Angelina Joe Lee movie was so good all those years ago, where she plays that reporter who gets drunk and she goes on the air and she's herself, and it's refreshing because they are these unattainable, perfect avatars. They are these perfect people who look great and sound great, and you think they've all got it so together, but they're just like everybody else. Of course they're gonna have issue. It's just refreshing when you see somebody. It's not a breakdown, it's a realization that they're people.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the name of that movie that you refer to, The Light or something like it. The TV station that she worked for was KQMO Como essentially right, But when they filmed in the TV station, all they did was take a piece of white tape on the first o and made it into a que that was like, that's all they did to change the logo for the TV station.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so goofy. All right, Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: Sports Talk, sports Stock were you sports Talk on Petros's birthday?
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't we on Petros's birthday?
Speaker 1: I don't know. They don't talk about sports, RuSHA.
Speaker 2: It's a good point. We'll pick up where they left off.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: They dismissed one juror who had apparently been bragging about not living where he.
Speaker 2: Said he lived.
Speaker 1: Was this jur number six? I do not know the number because I'm reading on TMZ and I don't know if it's the same juror. It's as Diddy's trial is on the verge of another jury shake up due to one of them getting a strange text message has left the judge with concerns that the juror is talking about the case outside of court. Sources say the juror alerted the court on Friday about the text message from a phone number he didn't recognize, asking him if he was Juror number six. The juror wanted the judge to know about the mystery texts, and indeed the judge had a lot of questions for him about the message and the phone number from which it came.
Speaker 9: Well, that's different than the one that they dismissed this morning. That the judge dismissed this morning had said he lived in the Bronx with his fiance, but then told one of the court staff that he had recently moved in with his girlfriend in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Uh and if you don't live there, well, they don't want you on the jury.
Speaker 3: For one thing, the judge, it made the judge assume that the guy manipulated his answers so that he could be on the jury, so he could get some sort of fame.
Speaker 1: Can we please not have to relive this testimony again in another trial?
Speaker 2: Trial? And this stuff a couple things. In the world of sports.
Speaker 3: Florida Panthers look like they're on the verge of cementing yet another Stanley Cup.
Speaker 2: They won yesterday.
Speaker 3: UCLA Baseball plays against LSU in the winner's bracket tonight.
Speaker 2: JJ Spawn hit a sixty four foot putt last night ended up winning the US Open.
Speaker 3: He looked like he was going to disintegrate.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he's putting from the green from the not the green.
Speaker 2: From the rough, from the rough from the fairway.
Speaker 1: How far as I don't know, is that how.
Speaker 2: Sixty four feet is a long?
Speaker 3: Sixty four feet is from here to the bathroom probably, and the putt it was not straight at all, So it was a brilliant brilliance foll It was really cool. So he won the US Open under some bad weather. The big shake up in terms of baseball world is that the Boston Red Sox traded Rafael Devers to the San Francisco Giants yesterday.
Speaker 1: The Red Sox were like, he is not worth it anymore, and worth it is like what three hundred and fifteen million dollar contracts something like that.
Speaker 3: The Giants are going to pay that baby out. The Giants are on the hook for it all. They the problems that he developed in Boston had to do with he wanted to play third base right, and then they brought it, bringing Alex Bregman and tell him you're going to be the DH and he's like, I don't like that, but fine, I'll be the DH. And then they lose their first basement and they're like, hey, you got a first basement, SMIT, and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: You guys told me I was the DH. Not you can't keep you can't have an outfielder go down. And then I go play in the outfield and.
Speaker 1: He started blowing plays at first right.
Speaker 3: Well, he he's this, he's mental. I'm pointing to my head. He's mental in that so much of his game can be affected by whatever's going on in the outside world. In you know, he's met with the team ownership and was mad. He just became a cancer in that clubhouse. And the Boston Red Sox are not bad. That's the thing is. They have a change there.
Speaker 2: But you don't need that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So as great as it is for the Giants to pick up a bat, which they need and they currently need a third basement because Matt Chapman is on the il.
Speaker 1: But there's nothing like a player with a chip on his shoulder getting a fresh start. I mean, that is electricity.
Speaker 2: It could be. We hope.
Speaker 3: So I'm sorry, I hope, so, I hope So far you they play against not an issue tonight. The biggest news baseball wise is that Shoheo Tani will be back on the mound making his Dodgers pitching debut against the Padres. Probably the way it's written, probably only a couple of innings. Yeah, I think he only pitched forty five, maybe fifty pitches in the last simulated game, which is supposedly him throwing it to full velocity, but we'll see. Dave Roberts did say it's very exciting. He said, I'm still a baseball fan. First, the anticipation here for the game is it's going to be bananas when it happens, a lot of anticipation. I think we've done it the right way as far as the process, so which is weird. I would have if the Dodgers have all season had problems with injuries so that they're their bullpen has been thin, why would just why why put him in now? Why not let him work up to a four or five or six inning capability before you before you get him back on the mountain.
Speaker 1: Well, they've done the simulating the games as well. Let him cool off after that. But they are very shorthand. The Dodgers are fourteen pitchers on their injured list, including four starters.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Blake Snell ironically whose bubbleheaded is Tonight, Tyler Glass, now Sasaki and Tony Gonsolin. So his injury, if you want to know, was a Grade two sprain of his ulner collateral ligament that requested or required I should say, Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 2: That's on the outside. Radius is on the thumb side. Olna's not Ulna.
Speaker 1: I don't remember they said that. Shohe has been getting very antsy, which is a good sign.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. He's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He really is. It's something that you you should watch and enjoy and just reveling because you're going to see a player like this again.
Speaker 3: All right, swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.