Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: This episode of Monster Talk deals with some explicit sexual topics and may not be suitable for all listeners. You've probably heard or used the word gargantuan to describe something large. Did you know that that word is a literary illusion. It comes from a set of stories by Francois Rebelae about two giants called Gargantua and Pantagrule, first published in fifteen thirty two. In these satirical stories, Gargantua, one of the giants, sets up a monastery of Philima. And here is how it's described. In all their rule and strictest tie of their order, there was but this one clause to be observed.
Speaker 3: Do what thou.
Speaker 2: Wilt Philima means will. In nineteen o four, a man named Alistair Crowley published what he claims to be divinely received wisdom as the Book of the Law, a publication which has become famously well known by shorthand reference to its similar command.
Speaker 3: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Speaker 2: One work of famous literary satire, the other a holy book of the magical religion of Thelema. Make of that what thou wilt. In this episode, we're going to talk about a man who gave himself more titles than a nineteen seventies Italian horror film, including The Beast six sixty six. His real name was Alistair Crowley.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 1: A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 4: Part eight, Part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland if a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Morenster Talk.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith. We're almost finished with my currently planned series on magic. I still want to talk about Jack Parsons and about Margaret Murray's book The Witch Cult in Western Europe, but we'll be back to more direct monster coverage first. Though to be fair, there are many who would call the subject of this episode a real monster. We'll dig into some of the biographical material on Crowley in this episode, but if you check the show notes, there's some fantastic links if you're interested in seeing.
Speaker 3: Some contemporary coverage of his life.
Speaker 2: There's an interesting documentary from the BBC that was part of a four part series called Masters of Darkness that covered Crowley in one episode. A fairly complete version of that's on.
Speaker 3: YouTube, and I put links to that in the show notes.
Speaker 2: And there's a page with digitized copies of the tabloid coverage of his various exploits, some of which are shocking even today, or at least the claims are. He's famously been called the wickedest man in the world, and it seems to me like he would have just reveled in such epithets because infamy was as good as fame to him. He was a writer, a poet, a cult leader, and by many accounts, a total and complete bastard. In the documentary, a few career highlights show up. For example, he was a very good mountain climber, but then he had a scandalous episode where he allegedly refused to help his companions after an avalanche because of some falling out that they had had. He bought a house on the coast of Lochness called Bileskin House and conducted a magical ritual there which was supposed to give him access to his guardian angel, but which required first to summon princes from hell, and then he didn't finish that ceremony, which led to rumors and legends about what failing to complete such a ritual could lead to. In the nineteen twenties, he went to Sicily and started a church based on his religious teachings, but soon was deported because of the scandalous accusations that his cult had conducted bestiality, sacrifices, and some of the practices which had led to the death of one young member. He used up lovers and left them destroyed, and he spent much of his life enslaved by drug addictions. Yet somehow he's seemed by many as a kind of hero whose intent to harness the power of human will is despite the failings of the man who brought the teachings a path to a fulfilling life. The problem I have with talking about Crowley, especially from a position of wanting to be historically accurate, is that I can't tell what portion of the stuff written about him is true and what is complete bullshit. It is deeply frustrating. The majority of the news cover's ridiculous missmash of rumors and allegations, and is not very different from the news stories from tabloids today. I can tell you this, though his influence after his death has grown because of the fascination that many in the entertainment business feel for him. Many musicians have referenced him. Ozzy Osbourne's song Mister Crowley, though it mispronounces his name, is just one example. Jimmy Page of led Zeppelin bought Bileskinhause and owned it for several years and apparently owns a lot of Crowley's writings. In addition to many other magical tomes, Crowley influenced other magical thinkers as well, and his religion lives on today. The counterculture of the sixties and seventies seemed to consider him a natural fit, though very little of Croley's life comes across as particularly groovy. But let's get onto this interview, which is the third and final part of my interview with John L. Crow Hopefully, across these three episodes we will have provided some context to understand what was going on in the world to produce a man like Alister Crowley Morenstertle Okay, So, in our previous discussion, we were talking about the rise of esotericism and occultism in Western civilization, and we talked about theosophy and briefly about the Golden Dawn, and our goal here is to guide into a discussion about Alistair Crowley, and well, let's can we maybe could you give us a few biographical details.
Speaker 3: About him and then how he gets involved in this movement.
Speaker 4: Sure, he grew up very upper middle class. His father had a beer brewing business, Curly Beer, and.
Speaker 5: He basically had a.
Speaker 4: Strict environment because although his parents were brewers, they were part of a very conservative Protestant denomination called the Plymouth Brotherhood.
Speaker 2: A quick editorial correction, it's actually the Plymouth Brethren and a link to more information about them as in the show notes.
Speaker 4: And they stopped him from being able to participate in normal childhood activities with toys and playing with friends and all.
Speaker 1: Of these things that we come to back.
Speaker 4: To children do for normal socialization. Instead, he had a more tumultuous of an experience.
Speaker 5: He was very.
Speaker 4: Dedicated to his father, and his father died when he was young. That caused a financial and social crisis within his family. He ended up living with some relatives he had negative experiences with, and then when off was went to school and again had negative experiences there. So he had a very difficult childhood, and through that he came to identify a lot of it with Christianity. So he started to rebel against the kind of Protestant strict religion and instead he said, well, if the Polymouth Brotherhood were about God and Jesus rejecting the devil and being very conservaive, I'm going to do the exact opposite. I'm going to embrace the diabolic and I'm going to embrace hedonism. And so we could see by the time he is in college that he is indulging this lifestyle. He's starting to become educated in philosophy and science.
Speaker 1: He also has an interest.
Speaker 4: In poetry, in literature, he is also interested in theater. So he's becoming very well rounded, getting a very good education that his economic status allowed. And so he ultimately rejects graduation, becomes a poet and gets involved in various kinds of activities, and one of them is the Golden Dawn. Through a friend, he is introduced to the Golden Dawn and he attends, and he's by this point has a very significant interest in esoteric subjects occultism. And we should also look at the timeline with theosophy beginning in eighteen seventy five, and spiritualism, mesmerism, new thought. All of these traditions being established or coming into being. It was a very potent environment for him to take.
Speaker 1: These ideas and run with it.
Speaker 4: So he's encountered these esoteric and occult ideas from a variety of places, including the Kabbala and so forth.
Speaker 5: So when he's introduced to the.
Speaker 4: Golden Dawn, he's very, very apt, very eager, and he begins to excel in the Golden don it's also here, after a couple of years, that he meets Alan Bennett, who was considered the second best magician in the Golden Dawn next to Mather's one of the founders, and they get along very well. Craley sees an opportunity because Bennett comes he's very ill and comes from a very poor family. Curly says, look, if you give me teachings in magic, I will put you up and give you a place to live and give you resources so that you can practice magic.
Speaker 5: And so they do.
Speaker 4: They get a flat, and so we see in eighteen ninety nine they're living together. Craley is getting lessons from Bennett, and Bennett's.
Speaker 5: Health is on the mend to some degree.
Speaker 4: So it worked out very well for them in these last eighteen nineties. But already here we see that Bennett had an interest in Eastern traditions.
Speaker 1: He was a member.
Speaker 4: Of the Theosophical Society early in the eighteen nineties, and so eventually Bennett will leave the Golden Dawn. And in that same time frame, when Bennett leaves in nineteen hundred, Crowley is worked his way up to the Inner Order, but the members of the lodge don't want him to enter the Inner Order, and so that we have this huge personality conflict.
Speaker 2: But this is he's coming out of a position of being upper middle class and from a university time period, right, so he's already he's like a seeker and seeking education in a classical since at the same time, is that what we're saying.
Speaker 4: Well, he definitely was interested in being educated, and he was very well read. He had access to lots of learning resources even before going to college, but he was coming from an environment that stressed education, so he was very literate. He read a lot, and he while in college he had access to philosophy and the sciences and literature, so he was participating in various degrees in both humanities, and what we would consider the STEM stuff, I mean within the context of the end of the nineteen hundreds. But he was absorbed in these ideas and really expanding them because he wasn't limited in an ideology that said that there's no connection between these humanistic ideas and these scientific ideas. He was looking at them as part of a whole. And so one of the things that encumbers people and thinking about stuff today is they think, oh, I don't need humanities, I'm doing STEM. But they don't understand that minds in the world around us aren't categorized in kind of the disciplines. The way things manifest and influence and feet on one another are are a lot more fluid, and so the boundaries that we create discipline wise sometimes inhibit thinking.
Speaker 5: He was not participating in that.
Speaker 4: In fact, he was participating in a very unbounded thinking. So he would include esoteric knowledge and occultism along with literature and science and they were all one big mix of ideas influences that he had no problem pulling together.
Speaker 3: So he's also.
Speaker 2: He's a he's at least bisexual, right, I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Think I think it's hard for us to.
Speaker 4: Deal with the fluidity of his sexuality using today's terms. Again, we very much are uncomfortable with things being undefined, so we have since since the sexual Revolution and feminism and all of this exposure to a variety of human sexual preferences, sexual practices, sexual modalities. People want to break it up into various kinds of categories of gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, transgien. That's fine, but when you start projecting those categories back into a time period in which they didn't exist, it becomes a little more dice. What we do know is that Crawley had love emotional love for men and women, and that he participated in sexual activities with men and women. Now, some people want to say he's gay and that he really wasn't into women, or that he was bisexual, or those debates. In many ways, fine if that's what people the direction they want to take it, But in some sense those categories are not helpful because they're trying to bring in the reel in or bracket or closed down his sexual activity. And the fact is he participated in a lot of different kinds of sexual activity with different people of different genders, so he.
Speaker 2: I guess, let me ask it this way, so I think one of the challenges I have is a modern un initiated reader or an interested party.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what to call myself.
Speaker 2: I'm curious about all this as it relates to magic. So a lot of times when I read about this stuff, it's craully participated in sexual rituals for magical purposes, and I don't know how that actually plays out as opposed to sexual encounters for merely hedonistic purposes or as part of long term relationships. There's all these different ways to sort of categorize sex acts. But I'm curious about how sex magic works because I keep seeing that phrase sex magic and sex magic rituals. I have no idea what it means. I don't understand. What you know is that like the magic is released through orgasm. I really don't understand at all. So, like, if you have any insight to that, I would really be curious about what that means.
Speaker 4: Well, sex magic has a large variety of manifestations. And if you think about what are the areas of human activity that have the most intensity emotional connection, If you want to talk in terms of energy build up, the the largest pools of energy and engagement of an individual or individuals, and that would certainly include, if not be led by sexuality. And so participation in sexual activity in a ritual context is simply using the various methods of sex engagement, and that could be anything from masturbation to intercourse of both men and women or women together or men together or as a group of very genders. All of these kinds of techniques are means to move consciousness or move energy, or to consecrate an object to one's wills or desires, or to create a context for g nosis or access to a transcendent knowledge. So it really depends on what the goals are of the participants. It could be as mundane as you want something done, you create a talisman for it, and then to focus your will and notions about that and participate in mascipiatory activities and then with climax or something coming from that, bodily fluids those that consecrates the talisman. It could be as extensive as individuals participating in group sexuality and using bodily fluids or orgasm or the energy from it to consecrate things or to get an individual or multiple participants in a state of consciousness that are receptive to mystical experience or knowledge. It's just there's all kinds of different ways that it can participate. And some of the examples for Croley in his sex with Victor Neuberg is they had sex in the desert for during their times in which they were doing Anokian works and scrying in the ethers, and so they would use sexual intercourse to get Curley in a mystical state and so that he was more receptive and could participate in the scrying of Anokian.
Speaker 1: Ethers and so forth.
Speaker 4: So there's a large variety of activities that manifest sexually, and sex magic is basically harnessing those activities for magical ends.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So it reminds me of we did an episode on homunculus, and the concept of trying to create some sort of life with a single person is typically the way I've read is a male right. So I don't know if there's any rituals for making a female based homunculus, but yeah, but there are.
Speaker 4: There are rituals of sexual intercourse between men and women to create homunculus. And if you think of the climax at a moment in which the male and female are come together preferably and simultaneous climax to create the material basis which then could be used as the grounding for the creation of a spiritual being one that the goal of that spiritual being's existence is the culmination of the will of the participants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's, uh, that'll tie into some stuff where we'll be looking at in the future, at least some of the stuff alleged to have been.
Speaker 3: The gold Jack Parsons for example, Right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that's exactly what's what Jack Parsons was was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's really interesting. So the these uh but now do you know this this is this part of Eastern religion or is this part of Eastern tradition or is this part of something that's come out of these esoteric movements that they claim is part of an Eastern tradition that's not I I'm finding it hard to kind of reconcile what is absolutely, you know, being repurposed in what's being sort of created at hock for these other movements.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure how to word that exactly. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Like, what's legitimately part of Eastern tradition that they're repurposing and what is maybe just created from their own interest in trying to get these results.
Speaker 5: We don't know.
Speaker 4: The difficulty is, first of all, if you're talking specifically about sex magic, we're talking about a time period where people don't talk about sex that often, and when they do, they talk in veiled terms. So what is Eastern and what isn't Eastern really comes down to the claims of people, And there certainly are claims that the knowledge that they have. For instance, somebody involved in spiritualism and her Brotherhood of Lights and pbe Randolph. He was a mixed race spiritualists who also claim to travel in the Middle East and become initiated and had sex magic rights and used hallucinogenic substances like hashish as part of magical ritual. Those claims are made or similar ones by other people.
Speaker 5: We don't know.
Speaker 4: It is certainly not part of the exoteric practices of Eastern religions. Probably the one exception are high level tantric practices that participate in sexual intercourse in tantric Hinduism and tentric Buddhism. But what people miss there is that the goals of those intercourse participations is not orgasm. In fact, orgasm would be considered failure in tantric practice. Instead, the goal is to maintain engagement in the sexual activity while building up energy and then taking that energy and using it for other means, versus releasing it in orgasm. So when when Westerners talk about tantra, they usually have it very very wrong in terms of its resemblance of Eastern practice. That doesn't mean Western forms of tantra are wrong, they're just different. And that's that's the one thing that we should also keep in mind when we're looking at origins or looking for origins.
Speaker 1: In some cases, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: This is what this teaching is from this group and what they where they got it from, could be invented, could be an amalgam of different sources, or both.
Speaker 1: In some sense, it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't really matter. What matters is what they do with it and what they claim about it.
Speaker 2: So I didn't want to take us down too big of a rabbit hole, ye i am. I was just very curious about that because I read a lot in preparation for these interviews, and nothing really broke it out very specifically. I was a little curious about what was sex magic and sexual ritual is an easy thing to say, but that's a broad category that could be a lot of things, so I didn't really know what was under the hood.
Speaker 4: It really is broad and there it is multifaceted. And there are some scholars who have spent a lot of time looking at this and looking at esoteric traditions and the transmission of various kinds of sex related religious practices and spiritual practices, and I don't claim to be one of those specialists, so I don't want to go too far down that subject. I think they would be better people to have on your show. But there is a lot there and it is very interesting, and it would and it does touch a lot on particularly Crowley and the OTO and also the other organizations in which Curley participated in his AA and his magical teachings and subsequent students, because Crawley was one who was adamant of positive correlation between magical practice and sexual activity, whereas on the opposite side, someone like Blovatski insisted on celibacy, so no sexual practice of any kind, including no masturbation, so that the person remains pure and focused and is not distracted by lust, sexual desire, or physical engagement of sexual acts, and so you'll actually see people within theosophy who were married stop having sex, or people getting married and having celibate marriages, or not even getting married ever because they don't want to participate in that kind of activity. And Blovatski herself claimed never to have consummated her two marriages.
Speaker 2: Huh, I've been married for like eighteen years.
Speaker 3: I think our anniversary's tomorrow, So it's not my way.
Speaker 2: Okay, say no, honey, It's an abstinence for sexual magical powers.
Speaker 3: Totally cool. So yeah, I don't think I could sell that, so.
Speaker 5: You know, most people can't.
Speaker 4: And theosophy what they said, especially during the time of Blovatski, was you know what, that's okay, get married and participate the best you can. Just understand that your inability to discipline yourself in that sexual sense means that in this lifetime you are not.
Speaker 1: Going to reach the highest levels of spiritual development.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I guess it's the price I have to pay.
Speaker 4: But on the other side, you know, you get people who are practicing Crowley systems, like you're never going to get to the highest levels of spiritual development unless you participate in certain forms of sexual activity.
Speaker 3: So it really.
Speaker 4: Just depends on the system and you know what its view on the body and desire and all of.
Speaker 1: These kinds of things are.
Speaker 4: And that's why focusing on questions on the body and how the body is constructed and the use of the body in a magical and esoteric practice becomes really helpful in kind of getting into the ideas that are underlying it. Because the body is bad, then all the wants and needs of the body become demonized i e. Sexual intercourse. Whereas if the body is seen as ultimately good and is your connection to the world, then things of its needs and its participation in the world through sexual activity and other activities, then those are inherently good. So notions of the body, it's construction and the overall orientation to it becomes a prime indicator of what the ideologies of that organization or that system are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So with Crowley, he's over the course of like since he's he's left us, he's gotten this sort of legendary status.
Speaker 3: He shows up in pop culture. You see him in The.
Speaker 5: Black Sabbath.
Speaker 2: Is just Ozzy Osbourn the mister Crowley song. I think that's although he's his Crowley, But I think that's wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it is a Black Sabbath song here so shows up and I think, I mean, there's lots of groups. I mean, Black Sabbath and Ozzy are the most obvious making a reference to him.
Speaker 3: But to b Paige is a huge fan. Tov.
Speaker 2: Paige goes on to buy Bileskin House and that for a while, which is where Crowley did some of his rituals. And so he's got this huge, maybe outsized pop culture presence outside of the.
Speaker 3: Direct religious side of him.
Speaker 2: So like, in one sense, most people know him as sort of this dark figure in Western culture. And I think that's only dark in contrasted with Judeo Christian views, right, I mean, I don't know how dark he is within magical tradition.
Speaker 4: Well, well, you know, it's funny because he did participate and publicly announced his engagement in various kinds of sexual activities, various kinds of magical practices and so forth. And you're right, by more traditional or conservative Judeo Christian morality, these things are seen as bad, which is also why he got, you know, the yellow journalism label of the most wicked man. But one has to wonder when you start stacking up what he did in a larger context to people who have participated or engineered genocide, and sadly, in the twentieth century, we've had many political leaders cause or facilitate genocide. In comparison to that, I don't know how wicked he is. He never killed anybody. He never caused the death of groups of people, or caused you know, whole territories or whatever to be destroyed, or mass incineration of human beings.
Speaker 2: Right, it's almost comical to say it compared to some of the sort of things that happened in the latter half of the twentieth century, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, to say you're the wickedt man of the world. And you know, basically that goes down to you know, breaking as many of the commandments as you can, that sort of thing that you know, within that context, yes, wicked, but within the sort of.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get into moral relativism.
Speaker 2: As you point out, he did not kill millions of people. He didn't so much on economic damage to people.
Speaker 3: He just.
Speaker 4: I would go so far to say that if you looked at what happened over the over a weekend in Hollywood, sex with multiple partners outside of marriage of both genders, indulgence in magical rituals, and inclusion of drugs and alcohol.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that happened. So I mean that's what he did.
Speaker 4: Okay, at the time, that was so you know, taboo that Yeah, he got.
Speaker 5: That kind of label.
Speaker 4: But I mean in the modern world, I don't know if it's good or bad. Some might argue either way, but that kind of activity that got him that label is so common these days, right.
Speaker 2: I think we've talked about on the show before and on the conversation we had outside of this interview with my belief that if he were alive today, he would fit right in with the sort of Kardashian social media world.
Speaker 3: He liked to be in the newspaper.
Speaker 2: He seemed to like to sort of manage his image quite a bit.
Speaker 4: So he did well, he did early on, I think, you know, as he got older, and we have to remember, this is a guy that had a public presence for decades. It's not like he was a shot in the dark who kind of appeared in the you know, the early twentieth century, was a figure of the moment and then disappeared. He was in the public eye across both sides of the Atlantic in the English speaking.
Speaker 1: World, four of decades.
Speaker 4: His activities, his writing, his books, his painting, all of these, his theatrical activities and his ceremonial magic, and his political ideas, all of that were continually being discussed in the newspapers of his day. And so we have decades of his exposure. And he was very sensationalistic, very media attention grabbing in his twenties and early thirties that I think later in his life he found became more of an impediment to his spiritual teachings or the goals that he had as being a religious prophet were hindered in many cases by the image and persona he had put forward in his younger years.
Speaker 2: So most of our listeners are going to know, uh, let do what thou wilt be the whole of the law, right, They're going to know that line.
Speaker 3: But what what exactly does that mean?
Speaker 2: And what was the goal of his his breakaway religion to Oto?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, the Oto existed before Crowley. Okay, this was this was one of those fringe Masonic groups that was started.
Speaker 5: It was started in Germany.
Speaker 4: There's a number of founders, and probably the most prominent is uh Royce and then Kilner, and so they had this very underdeveloped Masonic group and one of the things that they included in it was.
Speaker 1: Sex magic.
Speaker 4: And so when Royce became acquainted with Crowley, he offered the opportunity to be head of the OTO of the English speaking world, and Curley accepted.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 4: Within that context, Crowley had already received his prophetic channeling of a Book of the Law. Now, the context in which it was received is frequently debated. He claimed basically that there was a preter natural presence who dictated it to him while he was in Egypt, and that this took place over the course of three days. But again the details of this changed slightly over time, and so it's not worth getting bogged down in it.
Speaker 5: In the English speaking OTO.
Speaker 4: He adopted his book the Book of the Law as a foundation of the English OTO. He reworked the initiations that he got to include this Book of the Law, which has a system he called Thelema, which means will in Greek. And so it is within that context he started propagating the ideas of the Lima within the OTO. But he also started another group, one modeled very much after the Golden Dawn and even preceding his involvement with the OTO that he called the AA. And what that AA stands for is variable and depends on people's levels of initiation and.
Speaker 1: Knowledge, so I won't even again go there.
Speaker 4: Each one of these subjects can become very very deep and take a long tangent, but that one was very much a thelemic initiatory group where he's taking the Golden Dawn system, taking Thalma and his ideas about magic that developed.
Speaker 1: And that's the one that.
Speaker 4: These two groups are evolving independently but overlapping in the sense that the memberships of one are frequently also in the other, and so so there's no Church of Fleema per se in the OTO, because the OTO is a Masonic group doing Masonic like rites. You have your magical group, the AA. And eventually Crowley also participates in getting ordained within the Gnostic Catholic Church. And we should also understand that just as there are all of these fringe kind of Masonic groups within the notions of Apostolic succession coming out of the church, there's all of these Apostolic groups and for people who don't know what that is. According to the Roman Catholic Church, Jesus appointed Peter to be the person that the church is founded on seeph it's the wrong. And so all of the bishops that come out of the Catholic Church go through a physical laying on of hands that put them in what is called apostolic succession. And so there's this long continuous chain of making people bishops, and that there was a physical interaction between two people, one that had that interaction previously and the new one who has that one. And once that's done, it can never be undone. But there have been people who were in the church got apostolic succession, but then we're thrown out of the Roman Catholic Church. Well, they still have apostolic succession. They were bishops, and they theoretically can pass it on and they do. So you get these lines of apostolic succession outside of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church frowns upon this, but they can't deny the continuity of these lines. And the participants document it, you know, saying so and so consecrated so and so at this date and this location, et cetera. But then you have other people who are claiming they were consecrated without any documentation.
Speaker 5: And then finally you also have.
Speaker 4: Systems of apostolic succession in which it doesn't trace itself to the Catholic Church, but it traces itself to a mystical experience of where Jesus appears and gives somebody apostolic succession and restarts a line that was either lost or didn't exist. And one of those lines is the Gnosta Catholic Church. And there is a mystical experience that a French person has and they start align and so you get this kind of convergence of all these different lines. And by the way, I point out, one of these kinds of restarts is also in found in Mormonism. So this is another tradition that has the priesthood of the Mechisldic. But that one was reconstituted by Jesus to Joseph Smith. So this is not an uncommon practice. It is one though that you either have it within or outside of the church. And so we see it happening to Croley and he creates a Gnostic Catholic Church. And I'll also note that the Old Catholic Church, which is another Gnostic one was integrated into theosophy with Leadbeater, and they created the Liberal Catholic Church through that Gnostic progression, and that exists today.
Speaker 3: I've heard of that. I didn't know what it was. Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: So you have this connection again with this fringe Apostolic succession and these Gnostic churches. And there's numerous Gnostic churches that exist today that are arising from claims of Apostolic succession, coming either from lines coming from the Catholic Church or through these other kinds of mystical experiences. So there are three independent things ultimately with Croley, the Oto his Aa, and the Gnostic Catholic Church, and all of them incorporate Thelema in some way or another.
Speaker 2: So what's Croley's goal with Theleima? What's he trying to accomplish here?
Speaker 4: He's trying to spread it as a world.
Speaker 3: Religion, Okay. And then what's it like?
Speaker 2: I mean, what are what are the tenets of Thelma? What is how does it compare to other religions.
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing that is at the core of Thelema is it accentuates the individual over the group. And this is actually one of the things that is very hard for a lot of people to accept about that tradition is that the individual is empowered to the level that their spiritual will, their goals, their reason for being trumps everything else. So if you look at most religious systems, it's about the religion itself and the individual sacrificing themselves, their will, their desire, turning it over to God's will or something like that. Crowley, being someone who was very interested in exemplifying the individual, has a system in which the individual comes first.
Speaker 1: So the individual's.
Speaker 4: Will, their goals, what they're trying to accomplish in their lives, and on a spiritual, transcendent, gnostic, or even just mundane level, becomes the first and foremost consideration. That's why do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, right, It's that will of the end. Vidual is totalizing. Everything else is subsumed within the will.
Speaker 5: Now, it may.
Speaker 4: Actually be the will of the individual to make sacrifices to subvert what they want to the good of a group, but they have to make that choice. It's not an assumed and it's not a system that says if you're being selfish and putting the self first, then you're bad. Right. That's that's how it is in so many other Abrahamic traditions, Right, individual has to subsume to the will of God or the group, or a least the opposite. And so that that's the basis of do what that will. Now, that doesn't mean do what you want, because doing what you want is a very kind of whimsical influenced in so many different ways. Right, You're sitting there and watching TV and an ad comes on for some type of food or swede or some activity or something like that, and you're like, oh, that looks good.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what want levels are at will is a much more fundamental basis.
Speaker 1: It's the core of what you are and what you are living for.
Speaker 4: It's much more subtle, it's more philosophical, and it's not so obvious. And so the rest of the system is to understand what your will is. So ceremonial magic is part of that process of discovering.
Speaker 5: What your will is.
Speaker 4: And part of that system is there is a being or entity of some kind named that he calls the Holy Guardian Angel, and the nature of that angel is frequently debate. Sometimes he talks about the angel as being a separate entity. Sometimes it's the Higher Self, sometimes it's both.
Speaker 5: So it's it's not clear to those outside.
Speaker 4: But supposedly those who have encountered their Holy Guardian Angel, that duality or that confusion is cleared up, and that being helps guide you as you come to understand what your will is.
Speaker 2: Over then that context, this would be something that would be unique to each participant. They would they would get their own personal guardian Angel if they wanted to go through that ritual.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: They don't get one.
Speaker 1: They have one.
Speaker 3: They have one, okay, But that doesn't contact.
Speaker 5: It right now.
Speaker 4: That could be contacting the higher self, like some portion of their consciousness that exists on a higher spiritual plane that could be contacting external entity. At one point, Curley identifies the being that dictated the Book of the Law to him as his Holy Guardian Angel. So is that being part of his mind and did he write it in a trance nature or is it a separate being that was in the room with him.
Speaker 1: Dictating it to him.
Speaker 4: These are some of the debates about the context in which the book was received.
Speaker 3: Kind of what year was this that he sort of put this together and published.
Speaker 4: The book was received in nineteen oh four, Okay, but he didn't do anything with it for a few years, and in fact, he misplaced it for a while, and later he found it around nineteen oh seven, and it was then that he realized it had greater spiritual import than just some kind of trance writing. And that's when he started building his systems around it. So the first one was the AA, and then later the OTO and then the Gnosta Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So ultimately, over the course of his life he had published several works he had tried to build up these groups. What ends up happening like, are all of these groups that he started? Are they all still extant or did some of them survive some not? Or how what's his legacy looking like?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you could look at his legacy in a lot of different ways. His influence as a whole is pretty tremendous. He looked at for his rebelliousness. He's looked at for his literary skill in both his poetry and his writings of novels and short stories. He's looked at as a kind of spiritual renegade or libertarian or hedonist by some so they see him as a model of rejecting the status quo and the system and instead making one's own way. Some look at him as a painter. Most recently some paintings of his has been discovered, but he also during the period that he lived in Germany in Berlin, that he did an art show there. So there was a number of different ways that people look at him and become inspired by him. Definitely within the arts he's inspirational in film, dance, music, literature, visual arts. He's referenced quite frequently. But then also these groups, they all exist today. Some exist in a multiplicity. So there's lots of groups that call themselves the AA, there's a few groups that call themselves the OTO, and so there are conflicts within their community of participants who argue about the legitimacy of any one group or another. And then you also have the Noosta Catholic Church, which continues. There are those who participate in the NaSTA Catholic Church outside of the OTIO context, and since the late twentieth century, the Nosta Catholic Church within the OTO. Although they were independent, the memberships were overlapping in at one point they were combined and so there's a confluence between participation in the OTO in its initiatory degrees also necessitates even in nominally participation in the Nosta Catholic Church. And so that as you go through the initiations, you're actually being initiated in the OTO as well as receiving titles within the Gnosta Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So ultimately, uh, within his life when he passes away, what was his.
Speaker 3: Status at that point? Was he.
Speaker 2: Like well revered? Was he doing okay financially or was he struggling? Or like you know, in this sort of classic not not talking about from a spiritual perspective, but just from like a how well was he being taken care of at the end of his life? Was was was he successful? In that sort of capitalistic.
Speaker 3: Perspective where no, not at all? Okay?
Speaker 4: He he basically died living in a small rented room of a person's house.
Speaker 1: In in England.
Speaker 5: Relatively poor.
Speaker 4: He would get visitors, but his organizations were in shambles if they even existed at all. He was trying to find people to carry on his legacy. He was somewhat successful. He did have a successor in the OTO, a guy named Carl Grimer, who continued the OTO in the AA. Grimmer was much more interested in the AA, particularly as far as the EGC. He had some who participated and were interested in that, And then there were a smattering of people who became involved and interested in Crawley's work towards the end of his life that carried on his work after he passed away in December of nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 3: And what did he die of? Or do we know?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's it is known off the top of my head. I don't remember. I think it was very mundane, just a normal kind of illness.
Speaker 1: I'd have to look it up, but something like pneumonia or something like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, one thing we should keep in mind is that he was a heroin addict for almost his whole life. He did times try to stop, short periods of times. He was more successful than others, but he was taking heroin up to his death, and so a lot of his time, you know, was engaged in that kind of activity.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure it's complicated too, I think when there's so many of these rituals that involve opening up your mind with drugs, and I gotta suspect if you use heroin. It's it doesn't take much to get you completely addicted.
Speaker 3: It's it's yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I think another context that we have to keep in mind is at the time that he started using heroin, it was legal and it was actually seen as a viable medication for the treatment of asthma, and that was a condition that he had, and so heroin was prescribed. It was only later when that ended and medical science saw, you know, the repercussions of people who became addicted to heroin and the fact that there were better solutions, that they stopped seeing it as.
Speaker 5: A proper treatment. But by then it.
Speaker 4: Was the damage was already done and who knows how many other people.
Speaker 5: And cocaine was also prescribed.
Speaker 4: For illness, and so the drugs that we think are illegal today and bad in some context or not, that's a relatively recent phenomenon, right, right, And the impact of those drugs was not well known until you know, well into the twentieth century.
Speaker 2: Well, it's important to mind listeners that heroin, heroin was a brand name.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's yeah, it was, it was. Yeah. I've seen a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Packaging for heroin and cocaine being used in Friday things, including Coca Cola. The coca part of Coca Cola used to be from the Coca right right.
Speaker 4: I mean you could go to your farming as system and pick up cocaine pills like nothing.
Speaker 5: I mean they were cheap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, John, I wow, I feel like we could just keep talking about this, but I I probably do need to wind down here. There is uh this is this will seem like an unsecuoror, but for regular listeners, this is a thing I try to ask people who come on the show.
Speaker 3: This one common closing question. Are you ready?
Speaker 5: M hmm?
Speaker 3: What's your favorite monster?
Speaker 5: The Creature from the Black Lagoon?
Speaker 3: Is it really awesome?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I used to.
Speaker 4: My father was in the military, and I grew up for a period of time and during the elementary years in Honolulu, and they used to have a creature double feature on the weekends and they would do a Godzilla film and some other old, you know, horror film, and I just absolutely.
Speaker 1: Loved watching the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Speaker 3: Have you managed to go see The Shape of Water?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Not yet.
Speaker 3: Oh, you should totally go see that.
Speaker 2: I think you'll get a real kick out of it. It's it's not directly from that tradition, but it certainly has been heavily impacted. Girmo del Toro does a fantastic size. It's a great story, but it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. But a great gill Man, so it's really really fun. I think he would really get a kick out of it. So check it out if you get a chance.
Speaker 1: We'll do We'll do.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me on the show, and I appreciate everybody's time in listening.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate you taking the time. This is such a complicated topic which I think people will have a pretty good handle on now. And obviously I'll have to edit this down just a little bit, but this is really good material. And thank you so much for helping us contextualize the role of Crowley within this larger esoterica, because as it fits in with this magical research stuff, I think it's really important. And I don't think he's well understood. He's much more commonly a pop culture sort of reference point than a better understood sort of figure within Western history, you know, So I really I think you're going to help people sort of clear some mystery up.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to do so.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on moorns Trutor.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and today you heard an interview with John L. Crow about the life of Alistair Crowley. I hope you'll check out the links in the show notes at MonsterTalk dot org, where there's a lot of information if you'd like to dig deeper into Crawley's strange but interesting life. He somehow got a reputation for outsized evil and wickedness. Yet in a century that saw mass human eradication, carpet bombing, unlawful medical experiments, global wars, and nuclear bombs, somehow his life by comparison seems almost quaint. But he sure seems to have messed up a lot of lives, including his own. Often we have higher aspirations than our ability or fortunes allow us to execute. I certainly see the appeal of a philosophy that talks about will. According to many interpretations, when Crowley said do what thou wilt, he was talking about living for one's true purpose, following your will with purpose, not doing whatever pops in your head, dividing your true purpose. But despite the heroic stories we hear about loners with incredible force of will and how they accomplish amazing things, it always seems to me that when you dig a little deeper, more has actually been accomplished by the cooperation of people who share a vision than by individuals who seek credit and accolades. But this has been a show about Alistair Crowley, not his teachings. There are some links in the show notes if you want to learn more about that. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine, but the opinions expressed on this show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarge slash support. That's Monster dot org forge slash support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages, as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle, and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music's by Peach Stealing Monkeys. As always, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 4: Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week.
Speaker 1: Then subscribe to Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit Skeptic dot com to sign up.