Speaker 1: Welcome to men, Sex and Tantra.
Speaker 2: Discover where your parents, porn and religion never taught you about being a man and having extraordinary sex. Get ready to have your mind blown and your world rocked. All right, we are back. Courageous Matthias is hanging out still with me. This is not tapping into his courage at all. He's one of the more courageous men that I've met in my life, and so we're gonna be talking about courage, my top value, one of my favorite things to absolutely talk about. I'll be interested to see Maamtathias has to say about this and how does it fit in to you know, how we live. Obviously, the topics we've been covering have not. You could say, well, we didn't specifically talk about sex relationships, but the reality is we do. Every single thing that anybody it talks about on this show fits in. Even if you listen to the wolf guy guy talking about wolves clearly fits into our dynamic as humans as well. So you know what I'm going to say. This is going to be offensive. Are you ready? Trigger warning? Offensive comment coming along? If the stuff is over your head, you probably want to go watch somebody else's podcast. Just saying, don't write me an email that says Tanya, I can't you just see what face, Tanya, I cannot understand a fuck to on anything of what you guys are saying. I'm like, love you.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: Please don't ask see in the email and ask me to explain it all. What you could do instead is give me a email that says I'd like to know more about this topic, or could you go into more depth about this topic? Complain to me and it literally it's like, I just look at your email. You can't see me right now. I wish you could, but let me describe it. I look at your email, this disdainful look comes across my face. I shake my head and I hit delete. So don't do that. It's just wasting your time. But I'm happy to go deeper into conversations that you feel are important that you want want to know more about. You can also, like, you know, hit me up on Facebook, ask for a request, I take request, write a post about this or whatever. Just you know, feel free to actually like, oh, take charge and ask for what you need. That's good, yeah, in that way with clarity, Okay, so courage, I'm gonna let you start the charge on that with your courageous action Withias, and I loved your face you just did. We're awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it's funny that you that you actually had that take courage and ask for what you truly need. You think, Yeah, so I guess that it seems like that would would tie in uh actually to uh well that that definition of a true need mm hmm. And it has to do with with with courage.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But let's actually go back to it. I will. So, for for me, courage is simply that which is in alignment with a particular vowel value or goal. Hm. And so so I'll explain a situation and about kind of why I'm saying that is you maybe you've done this yourself. You've seen others where let's say that there's a guy who goes in traffic and you know, he sees a girl or an animal or whatever, risks risk their own life to to save this person.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah firefighters. And then you know at the end, somebody after say oh my gosh, like you were so courageous. Invariably the person will just kind of like shrug and say, well, it's just what needed to get done. Yeah, so I would submit that that that essentially that that you, whether Utahannya or others, were basically just simply acting in alignment with a particular value or goal that you had. So in this case, using that could continue with that example, sanctity of life, sanctity a value of wanting to preserve life. Yeah right and so yeah, so so really having that reframe, having that reframe of courage, then it's like, oh well, it's actually maybe not this huge thing or in a certain way, it's just it's just simply that. And so even the idea of you know, and even like with my upcoming book Leading from Courageous Vulnerability, the one thing that I hope anybody gets from reading it is to have the courage to do what they know that they need to do. Anyways. Yeah, and so but it's like breaking that, Yeah, it's maybe not as big of a jump as you might think.
Speaker 2: So not creating epic heroism in that regard of thinking that it's things above and beyond what we would be called to do. I so most people you know will tell I mean, anybody that knows me's like, holy fuck, you're the most courageous person I ever know, you know ever, and that's actually yes and no. Like number one, I was a very fearful child. I knew at a very young age all the consequences that could happen from things that I was doing, like beyond how most children knew, like, oh, I could die doing that. I could get seriously hurt doing that. So my mom had to bypass those things to like, well, just take ice skating. So I was like three years old or four years old, I think, and we lived on a lake and it froze over and everybody ice skated, and I would sit out in my yard and look at everybody ice skating, and I'd really want to do it right, but I was like, that's a fuck no, you could fall, hit your head, die. Like at a very young age, I already knew all of this. So my mom was like, you want ice skating. I'm like yeah, and I wanted it badly, and she goes like, you know, skate and I'm like she'll it's like, I'll hold your hand, and I'm like no, because you could fall, and then I that's not just. So she ended up going to get this little wooden sewing chair, you know, and she goes, well, how about if you put you put this out in front of you and you hold that, and I'm like, oh, the chair will not fall because of the four legs. Blah blah, idiot, who what three year old? But just let's say right, so I'm out there now skating because I got the chair, and then I get like, you know, those little bursts of like, let oh the chair. So definitely spent a lot of time being afraid. I was an international horse show jumper and I would sit in the box ready to be on deck next and what was going through my mind was holy fucked time, and you're fucking insane. Do you know, like the blah blah blah statistics of the whatever do to double, Like how many people break their fucking neck? This is going on. They all goes off, and I'm like in the zone fearless, Wow, shark attack, I get back in the water, gune to my head, whatever. And so it feels very juxtaposing. But I would say I have to use courage, and that means for me, the ability to move through the fear to the thing I want anyway, So being vulnerable scared to be vulnerable right and move through the thing anyway when it comes to reflex actions like I am the person. All my partners have known this. When I yell stop the car. If I'm not driving, I'm already out the door. You better fuck It doesn't matter how fast we're going, because I'm on an animal rescue. Oh that there is no fear I see something else in danger. I don't have that fear. There is no fear. I'm stepping out of the car at sixty miles an hour like you better fucking stop the car, right, And because my care concern about something else that's vulnerable. Right. Baby mama and her baby ducks stuck on the side of a ramp where they had no way to go except to stay up against there and they were all going to get smashed. Yeah, I'm like, I fucking stop, you know, sixty mile an hour traffic, and was like no, I'm fucking gonna do this, and police was called on me. It was all sorts of a scene rescue a bull running down the middle of the road. People are like you're insane, and I'm like no, he'll follow me. You know, I was pregnant. I was a much pregnant, and the baby daddy was like, get in the car. What are you doing in front of that bull? Because he was like he was going after people. I just turned my back on him, closed my eyes and started breathing, and he came up behind me, touched my back, and I just walked him to a pasture.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that is so cool.
Speaker 2: Scary dives, repelling out of helicopters in a dive site with Navy seal buddies, you know, doing insane stuff. But so to me, courage, there's two. That's the two aspects. You're right, I don't consider courage to do the thing you're compelled to do, even if you're a little bit scared. I think courage is the doing the things that are freaking scary to do, but you don't have to do them. Mm hmm maybe so.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yeah, m m.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: He's breathing. I'm looking at him.
Speaker 1: Breathe.
Speaker 2: So you guys are like, what happened to that? We'll show my blank it's because it's not video. You're like, what's happening here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I could I could see that. Do you have a either like a question or a thought or a you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, absolutely, so you know in summary of what you said, like, you know, courage, there's the value. I love the aspect that you're like, you know, that sanctity of life in alignment with your values? Is it really courageous heroism? Is it heroism? So I think we need to find the difference between courage and heroic. Sure, you know, there's one thing to think about. Another thing is you know we all hear it, feel the fear, and do it anyway? You know? Is that the real mark of courageous action? It? You know, courage is my number one value. The thing that help courage helps me do is be vulnerable when it's scary. It's to be flexible when I don't want to be. It's so much be quote unquote honest. It's transparent. It's not honest, right, Be transparent when it's scary, have conversations. I don't like conflict, just like anybody else. Though people seem to think I'm cool with it, it's not actually true. It's just that I have the courage to Maybe this is a value. I don't waste time. I don't want to waste time. I believe in kindness. To me, clarity is kindness. So I'm not willing to make somebody suffer because I'm scared to have a conversation. Yeah, So where does courage play into relationships, into sex, into any of these.
Speaker 1: I think it's a big, it's a big, it's a it's a I think they play into all of them. And like I think it was the second episode we was at the second of the first we talked about vulnerability and and and in terms of this whole idea of leading from courageous vulnerability. Really, I see that as as something that is and and as I think, as I believe as Brene Brown as the quote of you know, vulnerability is required for connection, and it takes courage to be able to do that, whether whether you are being vulnerable sharing something with a partner, whether you are putting yourself out there in uh, let's say a professional standpoint and a context. It that is leaning into that discomfort and doing the thing anyway I think is a is a really Yeah. I mean, it's it's something that it's going outside of your com zone in a way that at least for me and my my experience of it, it's like going out of the out of my own comfort zone. And I know it's it's for it's for a larger purpose. It's for it's not just for me. It's not just because you know, I don't know. Yeah, it's not just for me. It's for it's for a greater it's for greater cost.
Speaker 2: Right. So yeah, so then it's like we could have like the courage that, let's just call it selfish courage, is self serving courage, And then we could have the courage that it's like, I'm on that purpose, that mission that requires me to grow in ways, and I think that that that I love this distinction, you know, there the courageousness of you know, my mission is calling on me to be bigger than I might be. So for me, like the book, the book's going to take right action for me to do. It was courageous for me to go find this teacher. It was courageous for me to do all the shit that all these crazy people told me to do well outside my comfort zone. So I want to invite people to think about the fact that courage is a muscle and brain training that you do. Like, you know, there's spontaneous courageous action which you can never train for. It's just something you do, you know, whatever. But This other piece of courage is something you have to practice and train. It's like you feel uncomfortable, Okay, what do you do in that moment? Do you shrink back to your discomfort or do you train your body and your brain that you can move into without compartmentalizing Because we tend to say, you know, veterans, first responders place lots of people like this, and I work with Navy seals and special ops people. It's like they compartmentalize, which is different than courageous. They're not actually feeling the feelings that are happening. They've learned to disconnect and be a moment of That doesn't take courage. That is not courageous action. That is a disconnect. Courageous action requires that you literally feel the fuck at everything you're feeling and then be able to move into it. So when it comes to relationships, that's really the gold because you are literally talking about embodiment of that taking that courageous step to trust yourself when you know you lie about everything, stop it, start committing, stop lying right the courageous action to live. I have had my heart broken or broken my own heart, whatever whichever you prefer. Ah so many times I've lost count and I find myself like, is it courageous action that I am optimistic and like won't close that up because of the past? Or is that like part of my value system or part of my mission? You know? So these are questions to ponder. I guess too, right, it takes courageous action to love if you've been trashed, It takes courageous action if you've been abused to believe in the good. You know, there's a lot of things that we can do with courage. But I just looked the meaning up, you know, because I'm into that. We all think we know what it means, but you know, the ability to do something that frightens one. Here's the other. Here's the one that I really resonate with strength in the face of pain or grief. M Like, that's that's the one that really like, we can learn to not be frightened of something, but can we learn to have strength use courage as the strength in that? What would happen if people were more courageous in there? So let's take that to the need. So how do we all the people that don't say what they really need how to like what?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, I mean this kind of taps in a little bit of the story, you know. In twenty eleven, I asked myself, what do I truly need to be a happy human?
Speaker 2: Love that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And then uh.
Speaker 2: M, didn't you let didn't you let go of everything? I mean, isn't that story like quote unquote normal society? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean I stepped away from a ten year you know, marriage basically, and you know, moved to friends land, slept in a tent for a year, did work trade you know with him. But I was really deeply pondering this and also in an aspect around there's a definition of abundance from the shar Channel by darryl Anka which ties in and all all. Abundance is the ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it, period.
Speaker 2: Okay, say that again.
Speaker 1: Abundance is the ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it. Period.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: So then I asked myself, well, what is a true need? Because that deeply resonated with me. It was like I could see all of the nature always like the ability to do what you need to do. I mean it's like, yeah, it's like nature, what is it? Who is allowed sue that said nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished, and so what came through was a true need. Is that which is required for an abundant life, and that which is required for your soul's greatest unfoldment, or said, maybe a little bit simpler is that which is required to understand and to use your full potential.
Speaker 2: Right, So, the majority, I would say, of us are not really doing that. We're like sitting back and going like, oh well, society says this or this is the easiest path, this is the path of least resistant. Now, look, I want to be super clear. I don't think everybody needs to live extraordinary lives. I do not think that everybody needs to achieve consciousness. I do not think everybody needs to do fucking shit. If you're like happy sitting on the fucking couch watching your TV, go the fucking do it, like literally it because ultimately, you know, you're a sovereign person. You get to do what you want to do. Be an idiot, be an idiot, Like you know, there's got to be other people. We can't all be the same. So like you know, yeah, so you know, have the courage to be an idiot, to have the courage. Yes, I should get my ass off the couch and stop eating these chips, but God knows, I don't fucking care. I want to do this. I'm like, that's conscious. Be be conscious, Be the courageous to be conscious if you want to do that. Don't be a victim. There's the courage. If you want to live the way you want to live, have the courage to not fucking claim victimhood in it.
Speaker 1: Mmmm mm hmm, yep, yep, yep. I could. I could see that, at least for me, that really that that definition it's it's in a certain way, it's a little bit of a winnowing stick or a like separate helping separate the wheat from the chaff for someone who might wish to do that simply to ask like, okay, well does this really required for me to have an abundant life? And part of the deeper dive on that is an abundant life is going to look different for different people all around the world. What is success exactly exactly? And then the whole thing about like that which is required for your soul's greatest you know, unfoldment or your potential that also could vary widely, it might be actually quite simple. I mean, if you're you know, let's say a student in Latino America, and you know you were interested in, let's say, pursuing a professional football career, you might need nothing more than you know, a soccer ball and friends to play with, and you know, some sticks set up for goalposts as maybe the next piece of a equipment or something like that. Right, So at least to to have that be something where it's like a start to really say, and you know how you can use this? I think also one of the things a simple way to actually action action this is okay, well, at least you to do an inventory, a mental inventory of your life to say, okay, well, what am I clear of everything that I don't really need, that doesn't fit really doesn't clearly fit in either of those two categories, and start getting rid of it. Whatever that is, whether it's excess stuff, whether it's clutter, physical clutter, whether it's you know, mental or stuff that you're worrying about, or excess let's say news consumption. Right, all these things that are filling our life that that is that is preventing us from actually having space to sit and breathe and to and to really be with ourselves, to really hear that still small voice that is that's coming or that wants to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, courageous courageous action to clear the clutter absolutely, because we like to hang on to ship, just saying we don't need to hang on a ship. All right. So we've talked about life, purpose, vulnerability, the truth, the truth quoting I'm error quoting everybody here, the truth, and courage courageous living, radical, radical, courageous living, whatever that is. And if you so not if you were to, because you're going to, so would you an overall summary, like what would you what would a statement that you would like men to really move into based on the things you've learned and what you know. Can you have a paragraph something that like m HM, buyers motivates then to step into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, be curious about your potential, be curious about the world, Be committed to to uncovering just what is possible. And when that is clear, move in the direction of that thing. As you move in the direction of that, hold it, hold that vision. Don't hold it like, don't clench it in your hand, hold it firmly enough. It's not just going to randomly pop out of your hand, but don't c so tightly that you can't either adjust your grip on it or put that thing down and pick up something else that's of greater value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: We have to quote that somewhere. You can pull it. You can pull it out of that all right, Everybody who is listening, and you know, you guys have to know how funny that is. I say that, and I hope somebody's laughing, because like, who the fuck if they're not listening, it doesn't really matter, right, So I don't know if you've ever picked up when I say, those of you who are listening, but I'm actually trying to be funny. I'm a nerd, autistic nerd. Literally, my humor doesn't land on everybody. I'm just saying when somebody states the obvious, like I'm about to tell you a story, and then they do it, it's really ridiculous. So you know, to those of you who are listening and to those of you who are not, we're out and we'll be back. Hope you enjoyed this particular series and looking forward to us. We'll be back, absolutely, and we have more things to get like high level about or esoteric about or who knows. Thanks so much for being with us,