Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Adventurers of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Cloak and Dagger. But first I do want to encourage you. If you are enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software. Today's program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can't support the show on a one time basis. Support dot Great Detectives dot net and become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters at Patreon dot great Detectives dot net. But now, from September one, nineteen fifty, here's the episode War of Words.
Speaker 2: Are you willing to undertake a dangerous mission behind the enemy lines knowing you may never return alive?
Speaker 3: What you have just heard is the question asked during the war to agents of the OSS. Ordinary citizens who to this question answered yes. This is Cloak and Dagger, black warfare, espionage, international intrigue. These are the weapons of the OSS. Today's story, a War of Words, concerns an American agent who personally delivered a message to the kernel of a Japanese camp and is suggested by actual incidents recorded in the Washington files of the Office of Strategic Services, a story.
Speaker 4: That can now be told. Okay, Harry, I spotted it. There's our target. Check, ready to let them go, Ready, bombs away theer's he goes.
Speaker 5: I dropped every.
Speaker 4: One of those bombshells we had in the plane, and they hit the target right on the nose. And the explosion that followed sounded like this just as much noise as paper makes when it floods to the ground. Those were our bombshells. Propaganda leaflets, leaflets designed by OSS to lower the morale of the Japanese soldiers in that camp in Burma. Those were our silent weapons.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna turn back now, Okay, Pete, Harry, what do you think of that phoned up picture of the bombing Tokyo we just dropped?
Speaker 5: Looked authentic to me.
Speaker 4: And I liked that little pamphlet too, you know, the one that began Suns of the Rising Sun. It is better to surrender than fight without bullets or die of starvation in the jungle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that one was real, cured.
Speaker 2: It's sure.
Speaker 3: How to give those lousy jets something to think about, right, Sorry, Harry.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 4: That's okay, Pete, forget it. Let's beat our own record, get him back this time. Huh yeah, here we go. Sometimes the guys forgot that Harry was short for Haryoshi Ryoshinabura. And though I like to think of myself as an American Japanese, even people thought of me as a Japanese American. I had to learn not to be too sensitive.
Speaker 5: Mean boys, not in Thank you, colonel, it's down.
Speaker 2: Cigarette. Thank you. You two have done a good job in the past few months peppering Burma without propaganda material. No, here's a night, thank you, and we already have begun to see the results. Or how's that, colonel, Well, you know how live Japanese prisoners used to be at a premium Rather than be captured, they'd commit hallakiri, almost in defiance.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I hear a lot of them are surrendering lately. That's right.
Speaker 2: Their morale isn't what it was good and you too can take part of the credit for that. But tomorrow, tomorrow, I want you to go one step further. Well, listening, sir h take a look at his documents.
Speaker 4: What is it Chinese or Japanese. Well Greek to me, I can tell you what it is, Pete. It's obviously a forged order to the commander of the Japanese camp to withdraw his troops three miles east.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope it's not an obvious forgery to him attended Nabura, because if he falls for it and moves his camp, our armies will have a clean road right into Bambo. And once we get there, Burman's practically in our hands.
Speaker 5: I see. Oh begging your pardon, colonel.
Speaker 4: What are we supposed to do to walk into that Jat camp and deliver these orders?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, No, your job is much simpler. All you have to do is fly over the OSS Detachment one hundred and one at Asamon, drop this document a Cutching natives, and our agents there will do the rest. We've contacted them by radio. They expected check, Colonel, be a snap, nothing to it.
Speaker 5: This o'll be a snap.
Speaker 6: Ha, nothing to it?
Speaker 5: Ha heard. I know we'd run into a champ zero.
Speaker 7: Right back at your buddy.
Speaker 4: Now, he died too fast for your Harry. I'm gonna grab more sky. Maybe you can lose him up there.
Speaker 1: It's on a tail.
Speaker 5: Maybe not for long, hang on, boy.
Speaker 4: Most of the way up, the air was thin enough so that I could see the nose of that zero following us, and then it's seven thousand feet. The air became thick and we lost him, but the plane had taken quite a beating.
Speaker 5: How bad is a lot you're paid?
Speaker 3: Oh, we're having more than fifty miles to go, and we can sit down and cutch in territory, make.
Speaker 5: Repairs before heading back to India.
Speaker 4: Okay, instead of dropping that document, well delivered purse, won't we get there?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 5: If we get there? What what's that wing? It's coming off where he hit us. Percy goes, what are we doing now? I'm gonna kick a stick.
Speaker 4: Forward as hard as I can put her in a loop.
Speaker 5: Well, that's crazy. Now out of tosses backwards out of the cockpit. Don't pull your rip cord before your fall free of the plane. We'll light to the river.
Speaker 8: I'll give you a freake dry.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 4: We fell free of the plane. I jerked the rip cord in my shoote open. On the way down, I inflated my may west and the little lifeboats swelled up below me. I could see Pete drifting slowly in the Brahma put the river and then I hit the water.
Speaker 5: Boy, this is a nice mester to be and.
Speaker 3: Not even sure exactly where then one oh one detachment's located.
Speaker 5: It's somewhere to the south, isn't it. Yeah, that's the help who who jungle steaks?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna think of a lot of places I'd rather be, for instance, for instance, anywhere this place is probably crawling with enemy patrols.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a pleasant but careful, careful all trip over those roots.
Speaker 5: The jungle was heavy and oppressive. The tall trees spread.
Speaker 4: A canopy over our heads and shut out what little sun there was. After a few miles, our shirts were ripped the shreds on the brambles, and blood ran into.
Speaker 5: Our eyes from the leeches on our foreheads. And then feet stopped shorting, Harry, But the river? What river? What is it? From a putre where we lay in it? You see it?
Speaker 4: Say to the right, I don't get it. We passed it a few miles back, Yeah, we sure did. You see that clumper roots? They look familiar and that's where you almost tripped, right there by the swamp. But yeah, we made a nice big circle, right back where we started. How the devil did we do that anything could happened in this lousy.
Speaker 5: Harry japatroll. Just isn't our day coming this way? Quick?
Speaker 7: The swamp never see this week. Let's get on the water to it pass, all right, Let's say I get down. Just keep your nose up to breathe, but we have to get.
Speaker 5: Down under it. Don't breathe all right?
Speaker 8: That I think.
Speaker 5: Like to reached out and then tied their shoelaces. Let's get out of here.
Speaker 4: That night we lay side by side, deep in the jungle, on top, of course, undergrowth, underneath the trees from which Leanna's hung down like braided ropes. We shooted oppositions every few minutes. It's a regiment of ants and bugs crawled into our clothing and kept us awake. And then towards morning we fell asleep exhausted. When we awoke, the sun had found a hole in the branches.
Speaker 5: And crawled through. Boy, that sun's hot, is it? What do you mean? Is it? I'm cold, Pete, I got the shakes fever. I don't know. I just feel sick, sick of my stomach. We can't sit here, you think and travel.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, come on boy, that sounds blazing, isn't it. Well, but you said you had the shakes. Oh nothing, nothing, Come on, Harry, come on now, up on your feet. Boy, you'll be all right.
Speaker 5: Come on, boy, that's it.
Speaker 4: But we started walking again. Our wrists had open sores on from jungle rode. My head was hot, my hands were cold, and I felt sick, awful sick. Harry, how do you feel? I'll be okay with that swamp we hit in. That's those lousy bugs that got on your skin, and I'll be all right. Ah, Harry, Harry, Yeah, Harry, hiy, h.
Speaker 5: Okay, fella. I just take it easy. Yeah, that's it. This cold cloth on your forehead, it'll make you feel better, you'll see. Boy. Pete, yeah that's Pete. Where I couldn't you say anything more original than that? For crying out loud, my black god, than I don't talk so much, blabbed enough when you were off your head? Uh, who's a focusing girl?
Speaker 4: I know it, U c l A. I figured how long it goes have been Sinsey, you know, two days and we got enough rash and it we'll be okay.
Speaker 5: I don't lie to me. I said, we'll be okay. Now, don't try to set up Harry. Well, how far do you think we are the cutcheons.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I've got the direction pretty well mapped out now by a day's travel.
Speaker 5: Do south?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 5: If you sit here with me for a week, now, don't cut some pick it out of here. I'll tell you what. If you make it there by yourself, you can come back with some of the natives and get me. Not on your life.
Speaker 4: I'm not leaving it, but quiet, someone's out sun you do its God and call out when out of the cares. My head was pounding hotter than before. Maybe maybe it was the fever. Maybe it was because I had to lie to helpless while people went out a law do whatever was outside?
Speaker 5: Do not shoot? Friend and friend?
Speaker 9: Who are you?
Speaker 5: Maybe soothing? Scout and scout? Show it is morning from top of tea, show your head brooks so uniform. Yeah, yeah, you got good eyesight, But you still haven't told me who you are? Told you and sing scout, cutchen, scout, cutching, cutching.
Speaker 4: H Why didn't you say so you're from Asamia, You're from the OSS detachment.
Speaker 5: He's from Harry, Harry, did you hear that? Ol, how's this from the mountain coming to Mahammon? It's great, It's just great. Would like, oh boy, would love.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: Look, I've got a sick friend in here in the cave there fever. Can you fix him up? Do we see?
Speaker 4: I looked up from a bed of leaves that Pete had made the cutching scout oleen over me with short and squat, with long, matted hair and teeth worn to a black stuff by beatlemut.
Speaker 5: He took a good look at me and jumped back that he'd been bitten.
Speaker 4: Jumpy copy.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, hold on, Wait a.
Speaker 4: Minute, hold on, I said, I listened to son this this is American. Just like I said, he's Japanese. It's no use listen to is a Japanese Yes, yes, that's right. But he's American too. He's having American friend.
Speaker 5: Look at his uniform.
Speaker 10: You say free, I say, Japanese. Will fix up from fever? They didn't bring to camp, They didn't say, which is what.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he mixed it up in those which doctor concoctions. Besides the juice of mahogany LEAs and the roots of the leanna vines or whatever it was.
Speaker 5: I was on my feet.
Speaker 4: Two days later we started out for Detachment one oh one, only this time we had a guide. And then the next night, out of nowhere we came upon it.
Speaker 5: Well what did you know here?
Speaker 4: It was the USS secret hide out, carved right into the jungle of Furmas.
Speaker 5: So this is Detachment one oh one.
Speaker 4: They will eat straw, attached pashas, a mess hall, a well, aquip hospital, mortars, bazookaus, crates, av yournhering, harry look.
Speaker 5: A woman, a woman, a Red Cross nurse.
Speaker 4: Gi paratroopers and bright colored shirts and I'm maced jump boots were strolling about, mingling with a Native troop.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Oh, is it just like a city in the wilderness, isn't it. It's like nothing I've ever seen before, and probably late nothing you'll never see again. Uh where'd you come from?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure, and they've been standing behind you all the tame. Would you like to let me show you around? Babe?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well not now. Thanks.
Speaker 4: The guide who brought us here disappeared. We've got to find the head man around here. We have something for him.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 8: But you'll live longer if you live slow and don't drive yourselves remem Mother is the soul told me that in Dublin many years ago. He mayrish, you know no, no, you don't say oh yes, yes. You take a good look at her little camp. As they said, you'll probably never see anything like it again if you live to be one hundred and four. It's as if the liper can't set it down right in the middle of the wilderness. We'll look around later, if you don't mind, know who's insane to take out?
Speaker 5: These lads.
Speaker 8: The paratroopers who were first down in the they all had the same look about them when they first came, as if they stumbled into a better fire leaf.
Speaker 5: Look, would you mind very much? Lad?
Speaker 8: There was a farmer in Wisconsin and they went talking to the nurses from Boston originally that is and the tar Lad is a Texas but we won.
Speaker 5: It took lot to make him say that this looked better to him than Texas. Well, you are forced down here too, Will, in the manner of speaking, yes, I was. What did you do before the war? I will? I'll tell you, Leeds.
Speaker 8: I operated a hut furring from Hoboken to Canarsie. You want furry right, driving little business. It was too, and after the war, I'll probably come back to it. This guy's off his rocket.
Speaker 5: All Look, where can we find somebody in authority?
Speaker 8: That evening Mass with everyone else Mass? Of course, you see that big store hut at the far end, you'll find him there.
Speaker 4: We went to Mass, and when we got there we found our friend with the bro the one who told us I ran a hot furring go boken to Kanasi officiating at the.
Speaker 2: Quoted.
Speaker 4: Every once in a while he'd look up at us and I could see the suggestion of a smile around his lips.
Speaker 5: That was a soldier Staddy next to us.
Speaker 4: Who is that?
Speaker 5: Well, that's father, o'dool. You practically organized the one on one.
Speaker 8: Sure, And I said it just to see the look at your faces later.
Speaker 3: On, we'll take a good look boy, my red, I would father or two. Yes, here the four Japanese orders the colonel gave us in India. Of course, the original plan about dropping them over to you and turning back didn't work out. But just as long as we got them here, just as long as we have them, we know what to do with them.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 8: There's a Japanese mail courier coming through tomorrow night from the groom to the jack camp at Mucklem. Now I'll have sue Linga one of the other scouts intercept him and deposit this document.
Speaker 5: In his mail. Coach, oh, I get it. Father.
Speaker 4: When he comes to he won't know what hit him, but he'll keep going with the forged papers.
Speaker 5: Hey, so you get a quick brain lead and there by the bay.
Speaker 8: Yes, father, you know, since you're Japanese as well as American, I suggest you stay close to me for the next day or so until you leave. You see, then the natives will get over their suspicions of it.
Speaker 5: I seem down with fever. Ah, I was nurse all right for bardging? And do you hurt this way? Father? A tool? But sue Ling told me one of these men had jungle sickness. Wait, it's great, alright, Nurse Amy Leeds. Take a look at her. Isn't she a fair cal You know that's enough of your blindy. Father. Come with me, please? What's your name, noborer? Lieutenant Harry Nabora. I'm okay? Now, really are you that?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 5: We just want you at the hospital for a checkout. Come along, Hey, hey, wait, you jave mind if I come to No, not at all the doc who looked me over and gave me a clean bill of health.
Speaker 4: It must have been those witch doctor herbs and sue Ling's later father O'Toole gave us a bashot to ourselves, and Pete and I fell on those army cons And then about three o'clock in the morning, Harry, Wait, what's up?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Let's find out. Yeah, what's everybody running to? Oh there's that nurse. Maybe seen Hey, nurse nurse. Nothing to be alarmed about. Boy, what happened?
Speaker 6: One of the cab approaches our watch dog call? Probably any miscou?
Speaker 5: I didn't hear any doe.
Speaker 6: This is a silent watchdog. What Actually, it's a crossbow with one hundred and fifty pound pool. It set up so any intruder who touches the trip string is shot for the poisoned arrow.
Speaker 5: Well that that's quite a watch dog. Yes, I've been thinking of putting one up in front of my tent or so Sally, So Sally mean, Now it's done, sholing. It can't be helped. It's all right. Hello father ho there, your lads, come on in. What's up? Father sue Ling? Make mistake mag mistake a mistake. Well, I'll tell you boys, it's like this.
Speaker 8: I sent Sue out last night to intercept the Japanese courier and deposit this document.
Speaker 5: And his mail. Poach. What went wrong?
Speaker 8: Well, it seems that Suling doesn't know his own strengths to quote a phrase, and he hit him too hard. I'm very much afraid the courier will not be able to deliver the mail after all to the camp at Mucklem.
Speaker 4: Well, look farther OUTO. That document is important. It's got to get there. Where's the coreer now in the hospital?
Speaker 5: Is even the very best kid? I assure you.
Speaker 4: I'm a male sack in my position. Okay, then another jab coury is going to take his place and deliver the mail.
Speaker 5: You're nuts, Harry, what other jet courier?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 5: Now? I know your nuts het?
Speaker 4: When I sweach uniforms of that guy, take a good look at me. I promise you you'll never recognize me.
Speaker 5: The idea has a touch of genius, lad, I think it may work.
Speaker 4: I hope it may work. Slipping an extra prayer for me father. While I was at it, I went after the letters and cards that were going to the Japanese soldiers and phoning them up. I raised everything but the signatures and wrote about how bad conditions were back in Tokyo and the black market was flourishing, how they were being bombed every night. At dawn, I had changed into the captured courier's uniform. I had the mail sack over my shoulder and soooling at my side to take me most of the way.
Speaker 3: Good luck again, me boy, Thank you father too. Harry, Harry, you sure that you want to do this? Walking right in the lions. Then they get wise to you, They get wise to me. Hikata ganai.
Speaker 2: What's that mean?
Speaker 5: It's good Japanese for so what?
Speaker 11: Who goes there?
Speaker 4: And thought? I soon a corea from the program with mayor for your soldiers and a special dispatch for your commander.
Speaker 2: Mayo Toya, Come a close.
Speaker 5: Let me see your face.
Speaker 6: I do not know you.
Speaker 5: Where's adana papers? Let me see papers? Identification? Yeah? Very good?
Speaker 9: Whays dispatch you say is for me here? Why are you so late? Mail was expected yesterday?
Speaker 5: It was unavailable. Answer my question directly? Why are you rate? Native catchin warrior attacked me on the way. I had to fight him off. Connadagain, those catchings.
Speaker 9: Siren devils in the jungle shadows IM sublet to know when they are about they jump out at you er us.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, well what you're waiting for? You may leave now? Yes, yes, sir, I leave. I leave.
Speaker 4: I was glad to leave. It been easy up to that point. I try to keep from walking too fast to the gate past.
Speaker 5: Let me see it past thread. I hear it was stand at Colonel Gel's headquarters. Right, you're gonna go? Where where your death? Do you not hear me shoot top of a gun to call your attention? Or why you want me? I do not want you receive the word that gate from Colonel A. Gail. We want you to come back.
Speaker 9: Come there you are Korea. I want to make sure you did not leave here. I is the something wrong, Connona girl?
Speaker 5: What you're talking about? What could be wrong? Yeah? Important message for your canal? Take it?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you Connana Gail. I should be grad to deliver this tool my cannel. This time nobody stopped me.
Speaker 4: When I left the camp at mcclahm and started back for Cutching headquarters. I must have been within two miles of Detachment one O one when I realized I was being followed. I couldn't see anyone, to hear anyone, but I knew some one was there in the brush or the trees, hidden somewhere along the trail. I started to run fast her. My lungs started to ache with each friend, and my strength was gone and a hangover the femur I'd just gotten over. If I had escaped from the Japanese camp and fallen in the head hunter hands, I know I didn't have a chance.
Speaker 5: What are you you? I doc Dabonese English?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 5: Head hunter? You luck the lucky? Now bless messie? Lieutenant Border they see you a week? Are you feeling, Harry, father of two? Hey, what are you doing here? Sit up? Lieutenant? Let me change that on your head? How did you get here? Had you mixing things up? Have been led? You mean? Of course? How did you get back here to the USS camp? To the what I will now? It's very simple.
Speaker 8: I have an apology to make for my friends, the Kutchins who brought you here. They'd been out scouting for the past week and they did not know you. Also, of course, the Japanese uniform you were aware and confused them, but it was a pity that they speak only their own language, so that you couldn't clear up the situation. They need to teach them how to speak English, English the way it should be spoken.
Speaker 3: Lieutenants Harro, Yoshinabora and Peter Bono were returned to India by plane on the rescue Camp Arrasan, and a few weeks later a special dispatch informed OSS headquarters at the strategic city of had been taken. Thus, once again the report of another agent closed with.
Speaker 5: The words mission accomplished.
Speaker 3: Listen again next week for another true adventure from the files of the OSS on.
Speaker 2: Clock and Dagger.
Speaker 11: Heard in Tonight's Clokendigger Adventure, as Pete was Chuck Webster. Harry was played by Ralph Bell, father of two by Eric Wrestler. Others were John Allison, Lama, Edward Johnson, Carl Weber, Jerry Jarrett, Corri Starplin, and Guy Repp. The script for Cloak and Dagger was written by Winterfred Wolf and Jack Gordon, and the music was under the direction of John Guard. Sound effects by West Connant, Manny Siegel and Norman Greenfelder. Tonight's true OSS adventure was based on the book Plockendagger by Cory Ford and Alistair McMain. This program was produced by Lewis G.
Speaker 5: Collin and Alfred.
Speaker 11: Hollander under the direction and supervision of Sherman Marx.
Speaker 5: Welcome back. We have an apparent recurring character with.
Speaker 1: Father O'Toole, who was in the Catching story we played a couple months back. The one scene where Harry's status confused a catching warrior illustrates a peril face by Japanese American servicemen if you were serving in an area where the Japanese were active. The whole He's Japanese and American thing was clearly not something that they were prepared to de all with. All right, well, listener comments and feedback now, and we have a few comments regarding the Norway incident. Frankie writes over on Spotify, the Norwegian underground is so chilled and straightforward fun man. Well, thanks so much, you got a lot of a chill underground. Harrison writes, thank you for the info. On jen Minor very cool, and then over on Instagram have a comment from Greg who writes, keep up the great work. Adam Kloak and Dagger is one of my favorites. Well, thanks so much, appreciate you taking the time to comment. Well, now it is time to thank our Patreon supporter of the day, and I want to thank doc Patreon supporter since February twenty sixteen, currently supporting the podcast at the secret Agent level of four dollars or more per month. Thanks so much for your support and that will do it for today. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software. And if you're enjoying the podcast on YouTube, be sure to like the video, subscribe to the channel, and mark the notification bell all those great things that help YouTube channels to grow. We will be back next Saturday with another episode of Cloak and Dagger. If you're listening to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio feed, you'll be getting the Sunday Encore tomorrow and on Monday regular lineup does Zoom with Danger with Granger. If you're listening on our Great Adventurers of Old Time Radio feed, we will be back Tuesday with an episode of Adventure Ahead. In the meantime, do send your comments to Box thirteen at Greatdetectives dot net. From Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Graham signing off.
Speaker 4: UH