Speaker 1: Ever heard of a group called Spam House. They're like these warriors against spam, right, but back in two thousand and seven they got hit, like slammed with this massive cyber attack, the storm Worm.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. It's a classic example really of how even the people fighting against these threats they can become target themselves. It's a real reminder of what we're dealing with in this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And that's actually what's got me so I don't know interested in this book, we're looking at operationalizing threat intelligence. It's like they want to give us, you know, the actual tools and knowledge to really understand and be ready for these threats. And forget the Hollywood hacking stuff. We're talking actual strategies here exactly.
Speaker 2: And a big part of that, a big part of it is understanding what threat intelligence actually is, because honestly, it's often misunderstood.
Speaker 1: Right, It's got to be more than just like data, right, Oh way, more.
Speaker 2: Think of it this way. Imagine you're trying to bake a cake, but you've just got this random pile of ingredients. You might get lucky maybe, but chances are, you know it's going to be a mess. Threat intelligence. It's like having a recipe. It's about taking those raw ingredients that's your data, malware samples, ips, whatever, and you're planting it, you analyze it, and then and only then can you turn it into something you can actually use, like to build up a security posture you can rely on.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about the info, it's about the right info and knowing what to do with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, precisely. And just like you know there are different cakes for different things, there are different I guess you could say flavors of threat intelligence. Yeah, and each one has a purpose.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm following. Can you give me an example.
Speaker 2: Sure, Let's say you find a malicious URL. Okay, so tactical intelligence that's your immediate response block it, but strategic intelligence that might tell you this url it's part of something much bigger, maybe a whole campaign going after a French bank specifically. Right Suddenly, it's not just reacting to a single thing. You're seeing their motives, how they work, which means you can get ahead of it, protect yourself, protect others.
Speaker 1: That's huge. It's like I don't even know the difference between dodging a bullet and like knowing the entire battlefield exactly.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, and it's a big one. Not all threat intelligence is equal. Just because something says it's intelligence doesn't mean it's accurate, it's reliable, or even that it matters to your situation, you know.
Speaker 1: So then how do you even how do you filter all that out? How do you tell what's good what's garbage?
Speaker 2: That's well, you have to think critically. You got to look at the source. Has anyone else backed this up? Does it fit with what other credible sources are saying? And this is key, is it even relevant to your specific threats?
Speaker 1: So even in security, you got to be what like skeptical, like a journalist checking their sources or something.
Speaker 2: Undred percent, because making a decision based on bad intel it can be worse than having none at all. You're opening yourself up without even realizing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's a little scary, but it makes sense. So we've got what threat intelligence is, why it matters? What about the people behind the attack? Though? Who are these people? Why are they doing it? Is it always about money?
Speaker 2: Well, money is a big driver, sure, but it's not the only one. You've got activists, they're driven by ideology, right, Nation states doing espionage. And then there are people, I don't know, maybe they're bored, maybe they just want to see what they can do, you know, notoriety.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you're saying someone could launch an attack just for kicks.
Speaker 2: It's more common than you'd think, honestly. And then you have the cases where well, it's not so clear cut. You have researchers, security people, they become the targets.
Speaker 1: That's chilling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the book mentions a researcher got targeted just for looking at a blog. It makes you realize how exposed you can be online, even if you think you're just you know, browsing, right. It shows the stakes are really high here, and you got to understand the different players what they want. It's not always you know, black and white. Sometimes the people you think you're protecting yourself from, well they're the ones you'd least expect.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm definitely this is all pretty interesting. So how do these analysts, the people doing this work, how do they even go about finding this intel? It sounds incredibly complicated.
Speaker 2: It is complex, yeah, but it's not like magic or anything. It's a process, a structured way of doing things, identifying the threats, analyzing, mitigating the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: So not like the movies, all the frantic typing and screens flashing exactly.
Speaker 2: Thread Intelligence it relies on methodologies, you know, proven ways of doing things, like there's the thread intelligence life cycle. This framework, it breaks everything down into manageable stages, so from the planning stages all the way to putting the intelligence together and getting it out there. It helps analysts stay organized and make sure they're looking at everything they need to.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a roadmap when you're dealing with all this stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: And like any good map, it helps you get where you need to go much more efficiently and effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's a structure to this which makes it seem a little less i don't know, like a foreign language. But what about the work itself? I mean, how do these analysts actually stay safe digging into you know, the dark side of the internet. The book mentioned OPSEEC and that whole idea of researchers getting targeted is well a little unnerving to say the least.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's absolutely crucial, especially if you're dealing with you know, actual threat actors or really sensitive stuff. Can you imagine the pressure of trying to blend in online, knowing that one wrong move and boom, you compromise your whole security, maybe even your safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot. It sounds well like a spy movie almost, So what do they do.
Speaker 2: It's definitely more than just like using a VPN or having good passwords, although those those are important, of course, But the book talks about get this crafting digital personas almost like undercover agents online.
Speaker 1: So they create these fake identities so they can like blend in and not get caught. That's wild exactly.
Speaker 2: You might create a whole backstory online profiles, even think about it, a digital footprint, to make you look like someone you're not, someone who'd fit in those circles without raising any red flags.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a tough thing to get right. How do they know, you know? How much detail is enough without like going too far and actually getting in trouble.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's the balancing act, isn't it. You've got to be convincing enough to get what you need, but not so much that you cross a line and put yourself at risk. It takes a deep understanding of the communities they're infiltrating, right, how they talk, the culture everything.
Speaker 1: So they really are like, I don't know, method actors for cyber Okay, so let's say they've done all that, got their digital disguises ready, what's next? How do they actually find these clues that make up threat intelligence? What are they looking for?
Speaker 2: It's a combination of well technical skills, for sure, but also good old fashioned detective work. One approach is analyzing malware. You can almost think of it like I don't know, getting a suspicious package delivered to your door.
Speaker 1: You're not suggesting they open it, are.
Speaker 2: You, No, No, of course not. But in the digital world, we've got these things called sandboxes. One example is Joe sandboxes like a I guess, you could say, a safe room, a controlled environment where they can and like detonate the package safely see how it works without actually risking any damage to their own systems.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, So they can watch it, see what it does, how it behaves, all without unleashing it exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what we called the dynamic analysis, seeing it in action. But then they also do static analysis, which is more like I guess, carefully examining that package without opening it, looking for clues about where it came from what it might be.
Speaker 1: So they're getting like the internal and the external view precisely.
Speaker 2: And then there's pivoting. Often you'll find like one small clue, maybe a weird domain name, you can unravel a whole operation. Really analysts use that one thing to jump to other data of maybe IP addresses, emails, using names, whatever they can find. Slowly they build up this map of like the attackers, whole infrastructure, their movements, everything.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's like I don't know, pulling on a loose thread and then the whole sweater comes undone.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. And then sometimes you need to go through like mountains of data looking for these tiny patterns that we might not even see as humans. That's where clustering comes in. Imagine a detective, right, they notice the fingerprints at different crime scenes, they all have this one weird thing in common. Well, that's kind of what these algorithms do. But with digital.
Speaker 1: Data, like digital fingerprint experts making connections we'd miss exactly.
Speaker 2: Algorithms like well, there's tlsh and d hash. They can analyze massive amounts of information looking for similarities and you know, file hash's code whatever it is. This helps analysts connect the dots, find those larger campaigns. Maybe there are multiple people attacking multiple targets. Gets complicated.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're gathering all this data, looking at malware, following these digital trails basically, But then what what's the last piece of the puzzle. How do you turn all that raw info into something useful, something that can actually stop the next attack.
Speaker 2: It really is like that, isn't it putting together this giant puzzle? But all the pieces are like scattered across the Internet, and the puzzle is always changing too, right, Yeah, new threats pop up, attackers, they learn, they adapt, which is.
Speaker 1: Where I guess that whole actionable part of thread intelligence comes in. Knowing isn't enough. You got to be able to actually do something one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: That's the I'd say that's the most important part. You got all this raw data, you have to be able to turn it into something that you know, people can use to make decisions, take action in the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does that work in the you know, in the real world. Didn't the book use that example? Ozark International Bank, right right?
Speaker 2: They were getting hit with everything phishing aimed at their employees, then you had the really nasty malware trying to get into their systems. The whole works that case study. It showed how like thread intelligence was crucial for them to fight back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like watching I don't know, a cyber thriller or something, seeing how they used all these different tools and techniques.
Speaker 2: They were able to start making connections. Yeah, between what seemed like totally random stuff isolated incidents, figure out the attacker's playbook, so to speak, what they were going to do next, and then actually strengthen their defenses.
Speaker 1: One thing that I don't know, I found really interesting was how important that open source and intelligence was, Like using things like tweet deck to see what people were saying about the bank, any potential threats out there.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's invaluable ocent as we call it. It's all about basically taking information that's already public, could be social media, news, those forums where things get discussed, whatever's out there, and you use that to get a better picture of the threatscape, like.
Speaker 1: Having I don't know, eyes and ears everywhere listening for any sign of trouble exactly.
Speaker 2: And then you've got your tools like virus Total. Analysts can upload a file see if any of the anti virus engines out there have flagged it.
Speaker 1: As bad, so it's like getting a second opinion, but from like a million security experts at once.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. And then platforms something like open CTI that gives you one place to manage everything, see the connections, work with other people.
Speaker 1: So it's not even just the tools themselves, it's also having you know, the right processes, the right people to make sense.
Speaker 2: Of it all goodness said it better myself threat intelligence. It's a team effort. Really got to have collaboration, communication, and everyone needs to be on the same page about the threats and how you're going to deal with them.
Speaker 1: This has been I gotta say, it's fascinating how this whole field it's like technical stuff, sure, but also it's almost like detective work.
Speaker 2: You know, and the stakes are huge, which is why you can't You can't go into this without like a healthy bit of skepticism. Always question what you think, Yeah, you know, look for a different point of view.
Speaker 1: So for someone listening to us, maybe they're feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this, what's I don't know, what's the one thing they should take away? How do you even start to make sense of.
Speaker 2: All this awareness. That's the key threats are out there, that's the reality. Learn about how these attackers work, what they do, and just be careful what you do online.
Speaker 1: So basic stuff. Don't click suspicious links, be careful what information you put out there, keep your systems updated exactly.
Speaker 2: Make yourself a harder target. That's what it's about. Know the risks and how to you know, protect yourself.
Speaker 1: And this is something that well, it's always changing, right. What's true today might not be tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That's why it's so important to stay up to date, keep learning, you know, make sure your security can adapt as things change.
Speaker 1: Well, as we wrap up this deep dive into I guess the world of threat intelligence, I think the message is well pretty clear.
Speaker 2: Knowledge is power, right, and in this day and age, especially online, that knowledge it could be the difference between well staying safe and becoming a victim.
Speaker 1: That's definitely something to think about. Until next time, Everybody, stay curious, stay vigilant, and stay safe,