Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy Kick.
Speaker 3: It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 5: This is your wake up call for Thursday, January sixteenth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. I think we're starting to take a bit of a breath. We know that thousands of people are affected by the fires. Thanks to Michael Monks, Matt money Smith, Chris Berry getting us up to date as you early risers were getting up and about.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy, but hopefully things.
Speaker 5: Will start to sort of get on a more even keel, although this one's going to last for a very long time.
Speaker 3: Thousands of people lost everything.
Speaker 5: So it's going to be weird as we start to get back into a normal rhythm, knowing that there's still so much devastation and so many lives affected.
Speaker 3: But we'll do our best. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 5: As the winds die down, firefighters continue to shore up lines around the two largest fires in southern California. The Pacific Palisades Fire is now twenty one percent surrounded. The fire in Altadena and Pasadena forty five percent surrounded. CalFire has been working to put out hotspots with water dropping helicopters. Some people who live in wildfire zones have taken up arms to protect their homes. Several residents tell KTLA they're defying evacuation orders and are staying behind to protect their homes from looters and to watch for any embers that may reignite. Prime Minister Benjamin Nett and Yahoo's office says Hamas is backing out of some of its agreements, putting the hostage release deal in Jeopardymas and Israel agreed to a ceasefire yesterday, but the Prime Minister's office is Amas is renigging on parts of it. If approved, it would go into effect on Sunday. We're going to get the latest on the peace deal, the ceasefire, the hostage released with ABC's Giordonna Miller in Jerusalem. That's coming up at five twenty. Also, I'm going out and about to Dream Center LA, where they are dealing with the nightmare of the fires and bringing hope to the thousands who lost everything. It is something you've got to hear and got to see, and it's coming up at five to thirty five, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Red flag warnings for critical fire danger have expired in much of the LA area, though a warning will remain in effect until three this afternoon in the western San Gabriel Mountains, the Santa Susannas, and the five and fourteen freeway corridors. The National Weather Service says the region will see a significant cooling trend through the weekend, but meteorologist Todd Hall tells KFI more strong winds are expected early next week.
Speaker 6: I would give it about a sixty percent chance at this point of us seeing Santa Ana wentz again across southern California. At this point, it looks like it's going to be more of a western Los Angeles County eastern Ventura County type event. The sun most similar to what we saw yesterday.
Speaker 5: He says, we will very likely see critical fire weather conditions between Monday and Wednesday. A hillside home that survived the fire and Pacific Palisite Palisades has been destroyed in a mud slide.
Speaker 7: The home overlooking the Pacific Ocean is split in half and surrounded by mud and debris. It's unclear exactly when this happened, but it will likely be added to the total number of structures destroyed as a result of the Palisades fire.
Speaker 5: Kay if i's Daniel Martindale says thousands of homes and other buildings have been destroyed or damaged in the fire, including one on the hillside just above the one destroyed in the side. More than eighty thousand people in La County remain under evacuation orders because of the fires and Pacific Palisades and Eaton Canyon above Altadena. Some evacuation orders have been lifted on the outskirts of the Eton Fire burn area as that fire is forty five percent surrounded. The La County Medical Examiner's office has reported sixteen deaths in the area around Pacific Palisades. At least nine deaths have been reported that fire is twenty one percent surrounded. People in the Altadena and Pacific Palisades wildfire areas have been banned from removing debris.
Speaker 8: LA County Health Officer doctor Muntu Davis issued a hazardous materials inspection that needs to be completed first According to the Public Health Department, that inspection issued on Tuesday includes fire debris, ash and dirt from burned down homes and businesses that might contain asbestos, metals, and other toxic substances. The inspection order will also help determine the fire debris clean up process required in burn areas from the Kenneth, Creek Hurst, and Lydia fires as well. Andrew Caravella KFI.
Speaker 5: News the leaves around LA may start filing up. LA County has temporarily banned the use of all lea flowers. The Department of Public Health says it's to reduce health risks from breathing in wildfire ash and smoke. It's not clear how long the band will be in place. People who lost their homes in the fires can apply for a hotel voucher to stay free at Hilton hotels for up to seven nights. Hilton, American Express and two one one LA announced plans yesterday to provide the vouchers, making twenty thousand hotel room nights available. People who have already applied through two to one one LA do not need to fill out another application. Let's see how the roads are filling out.
Speaker 3: Take a first look at your morning commute.
Speaker 5: We've got Will Cole Schreiber with us, and we've got a crash in Curritos on the ninety one.
Speaker 3: Good morning, well, good.
Speaker 2: Morning, Yeah, kind of a bad start there in Cerrito's ninety one eastbound right there at Bloomfield, a crash there and we had reports that was on the right shoulder, but the latest says all lanes are blocked, So keep an eye on that eastbound ninety one at Bloomfield, the south bend side of the five at the two ten, just before the two ten.
Speaker 3: A camp shell in the carpoolane. You don't want to hit that. Be careful.
Speaker 2: Also in downtown La, the one to one northbound right around First Street, we've got reports of a fire on the side of the roadway and another fire in poent A. It's going to be the westbound side of the ten in law Pointe at Pointe westbound ten, they're fire there on the right shoulder getting some attention, So watch out for that. With Southern California's most accurate traffic reports and Will Cole Schreiber.
Speaker 5: As you know, a lot of people stepping up to help out with the wildfire relief and as you know, we have thousands of extra firefighters here in Southern California and they're working their tails off to get these fires under control and doing an amazing job. And several restaurants around the area have been giving first responders free meals. One of those is Ono Hawaiian Barbecue. It's scheduled to be just through today and I love me some Hawaiian barbecue, but they're doing free meals for first responders.
Speaker 3: You can go in there, and.
Speaker 5: It's in most of their locations in West La Alhambra, Pasadena, South Pass, Glendora, upland, Mission Hills, Van Uy's, Silmar, Culver City. Thanks Ono Hawaiian Barbecue, and thanks to all the restaurants who've been stepping up to help the first responders who are really not only putting their lives on the line, but also working to save Southern California, which we desperately need. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers.
Speaker 3: Karen. President Biden bid farewell last night.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a surprising speech from the President. You know, he reflected back on his four years in office what he sees those whose key accomplishments. It was another chance for him to try and convince Americans of his legacy, but he acknowledged that much of what they consider to be their signature achievement, the infrastructure legislation, the chips manufacturing. Bringing back to the US investment in climate action, he said, it's going to take time to see effects if the seeds are planted, as you put it, and they will grow.
Speaker 3: But it was of an acknowledgment from.
Speaker 9: The President that they didn't get credit for things that they feel they deserve to get credit for. So he tried to convince people last night of it on the way out the door. But it was also surprising because he gave a warning about what he says concerned him about the future. And it's surprising because he is somebody who always talks so optimistic about the United States and what he feels is coming. But last night he warned about a tech industrial complex, echoing Dwight Eisenhower back in nineteen sixty one from his own farewell address with the military industrial complex, the President said that there's a dangerous concentration of power in the hands of a very few ultra wealthy people, and that there are dangerous consequences if their abuse of power is left unchecked, and he talked about an oligarchy that he says is taking shape in America of extreme wealth, power and influence that literally threatens our entire democracy.
Speaker 3: Okay, and who's he talking about.
Speaker 9: I think you can imagine it's talking about some of the tech CEOs and some of just the wealthiest Americans right now. But certainly it's notable given the fact that you see Elon Musk so tied Donald Trump right now and having a role in the incoming administration. Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and others who are going to be apt the inauguration last week invited to be there. This CEO of TikTok is also confirmed to becoming. You know, the President didn't call it any of these people by name, but I think that that's who the message was aimed at, and his concerns about what this means when you have this wealthy Americans with so much power and then also tied to so closely to an administration and government like that.
Speaker 5: Haven't the wealthy always had so much power, It's just that these ones are right front and center.
Speaker 9: He talked about, you know, kind of referencing like the robber barons of yesteryear. But you know, I think the difference he is saying now is these platforms, especially the social media platforms, having so much power, and that unchecked power. He was calling out the social media company needs and the dangers of misinformation and the concerns about a lack of fact checking. He said, on these platforms, truth is smothered by lies sold for power and for profit.
Speaker 5: And as you were mentioning, this address seems kind of depressing and ominous.
Speaker 3: Is that typical?
Speaker 5: Aren't the farewell addresses usually pretty much more sunshine and joy.
Speaker 9: I think it's a mix. I think it depends on, you know, what message you're trying to send.
Speaker 6: Sometimes, you know, you have that.
Speaker 9: Like reflective look back, but also you know, we've seen other presidents do a similar you know, here's what I'm concerned about, you know, make sure this doesn't happen, or here's the fight that needs to continue. I think by the end, for the president, the rallying cry was optimistic. He was pushing and urging Americans to stay engaged because it's your turn to stand guard, keeps the faith. And he finished by saying something we've heard him say many times over his four years in the White House end a fifty plus year career in public service. He said, I love America.
Speaker 3: You love it too, and that's the important part.
Speaker 5: Okay, ABC's Karen Travis, thank you so much. We'll be talking to you again soon because I think things are about to get really excited in your neck of the woods.
Speaker 3: Exciting.
Speaker 9: We'll be a little busy, I think absolutely.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman in Pasadena says she just paid off her home the day before she lost it in the fire that started in Eaton Canyon.
Speaker 7: We evacuated not knowing that our house was going to be on fire, but came back to ruins is gone.
Speaker 5: Sixty four year old Tutras Beasley tells KTLA she and her son are now looking for a new place to live, but they're dealing with price gouging landlords.
Speaker 3: I've been quoted maybe five thousand. Some of my friends have talked to people and they said six thousand plus, and then one girl told me somebody was charging eight thousand a month.
Speaker 5: Landlords are not allowed to raise rents by more than ten percent above previously advertised rates while La County is under a state of emergency. FEMA says donations received through crowdsourcing like gofund me can affect how much aid a person gets from the federal government. FEMA only covers losses not covered by something else. The agency says, by law, it cannot duplicate benefits. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who says a last minute crisis with Hamas is holding up Israel's approval of the just announced ceasefire. Netanyahu began signaling issues with the deal hours after President Biden and key mediator Qatar announced it was complete. Netanyas, whose office says his cabinet will not meet to approve the deal until Hamas backs down. He accused the terrorist group of reneging on parts of the agreement in an attempt to gain further concessions. The deal announced yesterday would see dozens of hostages held in Gaza released and a pause in fighting in the fifteen month war. We're going to be talking more with Jordana Miller in Jerusalem to find out more about the wrinkle and whether it can be ironed out to that fe ceasefire can move forward. That's coming up. In about nine minutes. President Biden has delivered his farewell address from the Oval Office.
Speaker 10: I'm so proud of how much we've accomplished together for the American people.
Speaker 5: Biden warned that an oligarchy of the ultra wealthy is taking shape in America and said Americans should be on guard for their freedoms and institutions during a turbulent era of rapid technological and economic change. He also spoke yesterday about the ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas.
Speaker 10: This plan was developed and negotiated by my team and will be largely implemented by the incoming administration. That's why I told my team to keep the incoming administration fully informed, because that's how it should be working together as Americans.
Speaker 5: Biden's farewell speech comes five days before he leaves office. One of the four former Minneapolis police officers convicted in the murder of George Floyd has been released from prison. Jay Alexander King was released yesterday morning from a low security federal prison in Ohio. Another of the convicted officers was released from federal prison last summer. Poultry and dairy cattle will be missing from county fairs. In California, the state Department of Food and Agriculture has imposed a ban, effective indefinitely. The state veterinarian says it is a necessary step to stop the spread of bird flu. There have been dozens of cases at dairy farms across California, and Governor Newsom has declared a state of emergency. Film production in and around LA has dropped to its lowest level since the first year of the pandemic. Film LA says overall production is down, even though production did increase six percent in the last few months of twenty twenty four. Officials say they are optimistic about twenty twenty five because of a three hundred and thirty to seven hundred and fifty million dollars per year film tax credit program. Comic Con is staying in San Diego. Mayor Todd Gloria says there was a debate about the convention stay due to San Diego's perceived lack of affordability. Last year, more than one hundred and thirty thousand people attending the convention generated more than one hundred and sixty million dollars for San Diego. Comicon twenty five is scheduled to happen July twenty fourth through the twenty seventh. You know, everyone's stepping up to help during this time. And I got the nicest message on Instagram from.
Speaker 3: Sandy who said, Hey, Amy, I'm a so.
Speaker 5: Cal Native transported or transported transplanted to Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 3: She says she listens to wake up call.
Speaker 5: Thank you Sandy, and also the bill Handles showed daily on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: She says, love your show.
Speaker 5: Wanted to let you know that Parlor Pizza in Louisville is holding a fundraiser around their seven locations and they're raising money for Pasadena Humane. He says they love animals, wanted to help. Twenty five percent of all restaurant meals are being donated. Wanted to let you know that even all the way across the country, people want to help.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sandy. Isn't that awesome?
Speaker 6: Nice?
Speaker 5: Of course, Pasadena Humane is taken in like it's. At last count, it was over four hundred animals tied to the evacuations in the Eaten fire zone, and they're helping them all. They're taking them in, they're treating them. Some of them have been injured, and they did say we talked to Kevin McManus. He says, for right now, they have enough supplies, they're good to go. They've gotten so many donations because you guys have been so generous, but they said they do need monetary donations because, as I mentioned, a lot of these animals are coming in, they've had smoke inhalation, they've got their little paws burned, that kind of thing, and they need they need emergency surgeries and treatments. And so if you can donate, Pasadena Humane would of course appreciate that. And that's a Pasadena Humane dot Org. I believe a man's been arrested for allegedly starting a fire and Sam Bernardino. The fire started yesterday afternoon threatens mahomes. Firefighters were able to stop it at thirty four acres in about an hour and a half. A hillside home that survived the fire and Pacific Palisades has been destroyed after what appears to be a mud slide behind the property. The home, overlooking the Pacific Ocean has been split in half and is surrounded by mud and debris. More of President elect Trump's cabinet picks will be on Capitol Hill today. A Senate confirmation hearings continue. We're going to be talking more about how things went yesterday and what to expect today with Stephen Portnoy from ABC. That's coming up at five point fifty. Right now, we want to do a quick check with Todd Hall with the National Weather Service because our red flag warnings for the most part have expired, but we still have a few hangars on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we just have a few. We just have a few areas that are in red flag still and that's mainly the Sennasusana Mountains and up into the La Kenny Mountains. That's all that's remaining. Generally, winds are about fifteen to twenty miles prior, much less than yesterday, much weaker, and we're looking at those continued resplay conditions. We still have a lot of dry conditions in place out there, so and dry vegetation and dryer mass in place. So please be careful today. You know, we need to stay vigilant, as you know, as these dry conditions will linger probably at least through this evening.
Speaker 3: Okay, and Todd, we kind of we did dodge a bit of a bullet.
Speaker 5: I mean, we had some some pretty strong wind gusts, but Overall, this Santa Ana wind event, at least from my perspective where I was, but I wasn't out in the really windy zones, was not what we were anticipating.
Speaker 11: It.
Speaker 6: I mean, it did measure up to that if you were in Ventura County and to the area areas to the north of the Ella Basin, it measured up pretty well as far as our wind gusts that we saw. So it was a very you know, being high lived in Ventura, it was. It was a fairly strong wind yesterday. We had some power outages sporadically throughout the day and so yeah, it did measure up pretty well up here. So uh, it's it's a lot of a lot of the upper level support and a lot of the wind support went to the north of the La Basin.
Speaker 5: Okay, and then Todd, we have a do we have more wins on the way next week?
Speaker 6: Fortunately after a brief after a brief respite for Friday and Saturday, we have are looking out to Tuesday, possibly Wednesday, the potential for another stand ana in event and critical fire weather conditions Again.
Speaker 5: Okay, Todd Hall with the National Weather Service, thank you so much for the update.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Okay, now let's say good morning to ABCS. We're not going to say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller. Okay, Well, we're waiting for ABC's Jordana Miller to give us a call. We're going to find out the latest on the ceasefire, the wrinkle that has cropped up, and if they can get that thing ironed out. The CEO of so Cal, Edison, says wins above Alta Dina were not strong enough to warrant de energizing power lines at the time the fire started in Eaton Canyon. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says Stephen Powell told the La Times wins typically would have to be sixty to eighty miles per hour for the company to consider the de energization of transmission lines.
Speaker 7: He says the readings Edison saw were lower than that, adding that data showed no abnormalities in the area. Right before the fire started, the National Weather Service recorded gusts of fifty nine miles per hour at its Eaton Canyon monitoring site.
Speaker 5: Investigators are still working to figure out what started the fire in Eaton Canyon last week. Okay, we've got Jordana Miller. You know, sometimes we're we've got a little bit of delay because we're talking to someone who's halfway around the world. Good morning, Jordana, Good morning.
Speaker 12: I mean, there's been a last minute snag in the Gaza ceasefire deal, even after all of the announcements last night and the really optimism and celebrations in Gaza and relief here in Israel. Today the Israeli Minister is saying that Hamas has renagged and they're trying to renegotiate one part of the deal. He's keeping his negotiators in Doha to try to handle this last minute dispute. And now John Kirby is now also saying that US officials are there trying to figure this out. It appears that Hamas is trying to change something on the issue of the Palestinians, the jailed Palestinians, who will get out how many of them in exchange for the thirty three hostages. It's a very contentious issue. Hamas of course wants.
Speaker 6: Some of the.
Speaker 12: Jailed criminals is what would call them terrorists right, who've carried out crimes, murder and other terrorist attacks. The Palestinians. Hamas wants some of their most senior members out and Israel saying no, we have a veto over some of the names, and so this is part of the dispute. That's what Israeli sources have told us. We do expect it can be resolved, but it's going to take several more hours, and that means that we're not going to see the Israelis officially come out and approve of the deal and then even put it for a vote to the cabinet and the government. Those are steps that have to be done to ratify the agreement, and you know, ahead of actually the deal being implemented and having the start of the deal on Sunday. So we're seeing a delay here. God willing will get through this last detail because as you know, Amy, this has been a deal that we've been talking about for months and months. It has so many moving parts, and certainly if the sides have agreed on everything else, they're going to get through this last dispute.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, we certainly hope.
Speaker 5: So so going on the assumption we know that's dangerous that they actually do get this one iron out and decide that they are going to move forward. We had heard that the ceasefire would start on Sunday, the nineteen Monday, and then just a quick quick overview, there's phases of it, so just like in thirty seconds or less, you know what happens in Phase one and then Phase two and phase three.
Speaker 12: Right, so Phase one ushers in the seafire for six weeks. We see thirty three hostages come out, including two Americans. The Israelis will release dozens of Palestinian prisoners, the Israeli Army will redeploy to a buffer zone, AID will flood in. In the middle of Phase one, the sides, we'll start talking about Phase two and Phase three, which will bring a permanent end to the war, the rest of the hostages to come out, and a new governing body for the Godza Strip and plans for reconstruction, rebuilding.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, as this moves forward and hopefully takes fold, we'll be talking more and get into more details about, you know, the first phase and the second and third. Sure, John Miller, thank you so much for the information, and we'll keep our fingers crossed.
Speaker 6: Talks you Amy.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA City Council members have proposed giving at least ten thousand dollars to city employees who've lost their homes in the wildfires.
Speaker 13: The motion, introduced by five members of council, would call on the Personnel Department and labor unions to help in identifying the impacted workers. The proposal also calls for help in other ways, like creating a city fund to assist workers offer flexibility with sick time and paid leave. In addition to giving eighty additional hours of paid leave, it would also allow paid leave to be donated by other employees and expand work from home opportunities. The council's Personnel Committee is slated to take up the issue first. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 5: People who lost their homes and the fires can apply for hotel vouchers to stay free at Hilton properties for up to seven nights. Hilton, American Express and two one one LA announced the plans yesterday. It will provide vouchers for twenty one thousand hotel room nights available. The Biden administration is said to be considering ways to keep TikTok available in the US if a ban takes effect on Sunday as scheduled. One official says they are exploring options for how to implement the law so TikTok doesn't go dark. The video app is said to be banned unless the Supreme Court blocks the ban. The government approved the law last year that prohibits app stores from offering TikTok because of concerns the Chinese government has used it to spy on Americans. President ellect Trump has directed his legal team to ask the Supreme Court to block the ban until a political solution can be found. But Francis has been hurt in a fall for the second time in just over a month. The Vatican says Francis didn't break his arm today, but it's in a sling as a precaution. A few weeks ago, the Pope fell and got a bad bruise on his chin. Most red flag warnings have expired with no new major fires breaking out in the Southland. Wins may return to the area early next week, as Toddhall with the National Weather Service was just telling us. The break in the winds is expected to give firefighters an opportunity to shore up fire lines around the fires in Pacific Palisades and Altadena and Pasadena. Hotlines have been set up for pet owners who have lost their pets in the wildfires in the Pacific Palisades and the Eaten Fires. For the Palisades fire, the number to call two one three, two seven zero eighty one fifty five. For Eaten fire victims looking for dogs, cats, horses and other livestock the number to call six two six five seven seven three seven five too. If you didn't get those, you can probably google it as well. President Biden says he is greatly concerned that an oligarchy is taking shape in the US. He says, giving power to the extremely wealthy and powerful threatens are democracy, basic rights, and freedoms. He gave his farewell address from the Oval office last night. He has less than five days left in office. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The clock is ticking toward a TikTok band at five point fifty. Who got grilled on Capitol Hill and who's going to be on the hot seat today? We're going to find out with ABC's Stephen Portnoy. That's just in about fifteen minutes or so. This week, we didn't feel like it was appropriate to go out and about to do a normal segment, like we go out and we see cool things about and around LA and southern California that maybe you forgot about because there's so much to do around here, and so we like to share different places to go and things to see. But this week we wanted to go out and about to see what people are doing to help. Like we talked about, it's so amazing to see all the people coming out to help in the wake of the fires. We went to Dream Center LA and caught up with the director of Disaster Services, Clint Carlton. So Clint tell us what the Dream Center is doing to help the thousands of people who've lost everything in the fires.
Speaker 14: Well, believe it or not, this is actually our tenth year with my Heart Radio. So tenth year our Heart Radio serving the community of Los Angeles. So we can't thank you guys enough to start out with for standing with us together. I think this has been one of the hardest, hardest things for Los Angeles to deal with. Obviously, we had COVID nineteen and that was that was a horrible fear disaster. But this there's there's so many people that have been impacted and and so we're just trying to provide support, joy, hope and light at the end of the tunnel through the uncertainty. Right now, the wind's blowing you, your hair is blowing because because we don't know what's going to happen tonight.
Speaker 4: And so so where we are right now, we're in our line, and so.
Speaker 14: We're providing relief right now to individuals over We'll walk over there in a second, but you see our drop offline. So the Dream Center is just here right now. So we're in we have four stages of a disaster. We have the rescue face, we have the relief face, and the and the rescue face and relief face together right now.
Speaker 4: They're messed together.
Speaker 14: And then and then coming up hopefully next week, we can start the recovery fase, okay, and that'll that'll allow us to go in and help people out in their homes.
Speaker 4: Believe it or not, We're going to go door to door. It's called adopt the block.
Speaker 14: We've been doing a doctor walk for thirty years here in Los Angeles, and we go on knock on people's door and say what do you need?
Speaker 4: How can we meet your needs?
Speaker 14: And so that's what we're going to do for many, many people in Los Angeles, the Alta Dina area, the Palisades area.
Speaker 3: And the beautiful thing is the Dream Center is obviously built for this. So let's take a look at the the relief part.
Speaker 5: Now, there's a line of cars. I had to park about a block away and walk in because there is this line of cars of people who want to drop off donations to help people. And then there's another line that's filtering in and they're picking up supplies because these are people who don't have anything.
Speaker 3: They had like ninety seconds to get out of their home. They've lost absolutely every kick medical.
Speaker 4: So it is so heartwarming.
Speaker 5: And I know I'm an all teary and stupid about it, but it's just amazing to see the.
Speaker 3: Outpouring of support from people. I mean, look at all these donations. What kind of donations are we looking for?
Speaker 14: Paper shows, non character food items is what we.
Speaker 4: Need right now. But it breaks my heart. I have a lady come through and you're gonna make me cry?
Speaker 6: Is she just?
Speaker 4: She just showed up and she said, I don't know where to start. Yeah, I don't know what to do. So so our team just, you know, surrounded her, and I mean, you start with a toothbrush. Yep. You start rebuilding somebody's life with a toothbrush. And you look at these these.
Speaker 14: Houses that have been passed on from generation to generations.
Speaker 4: That's her wealth.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And some of them didn't have insurance. Yeah, and so we got to stand in the gap.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the immediate need now is to get those donations, and we're tempting them on the addresses two.
Speaker 14: Three zero one Bellevue Avenue, Los Angeles, California, and nine zero zero two six.
Speaker 3: Right, it's right in in Echo Park Park, easy to find. Type it into ways and we'll get you there.
Speaker 4: And then again those are people dropping off yep.
Speaker 14: And then these are people picking up, and so they're coming in from two different ends of the street. Got drop off, pickup, drop off pickup.
Speaker 4: When we go door to door, well we'll knock on the door. What are your needs?
Speaker 14: You need an air feer, fires, you need, you need something? You need anything for your house? You know, do you need a new count because it's got smoke inside of it?
Speaker 4: You need a new bed? I mean, that's what we're going to be looking for now.
Speaker 5: It's amazing and look at all of these donations. I mean it's just it's just again, it's heartbreaking what happened. It's heartwarming to see what we've done. Now, If they want to make a monetary donation, how do they do that?
Speaker 14: They can they can go to dream Center dot org backslash donate, or they can go on kfi's website and give there, or they can text relief to three three one zero zero.
Speaker 4: That's relief to three three one zero zero.
Speaker 14: And also what I want to show you is these are volunteers from all over Los Angeles. Yeah, these people, these people have truly truly showed up for their community.
Speaker 3: And that's the amazing part. How people are just showing up. I mean, it's so beautiful to see because I know that we.
Speaker 5: Get jaded and cynical, but when disaster strikes, man, people.
Speaker 3: Have turned out.
Speaker 14: We had over this weekend, we had over twenty five hundred volunteers on Saturday and Sunday. Twenty five hundred volunteers showed up to volunteer for us on Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 4: Just the most amazing thing.
Speaker 5: Thank Carlton, thank you for what you're doing, for what your organization, Dream Center LA is doing.
Speaker 3: We're so proud to have partnered up with you.
Speaker 5: I know we've had a relationship with iHeartMedia for like ten years until legit five O one see organization.
Speaker 3: We need your help.
Speaker 5: That's where we're out and about and we would love to have you donate because they need our help. It again when we talk about what happened to these people and how they just lost everything and basically the blink of an eye, and it was so cool to see everybody stepping up and helping out and uh, if you again, if you want to make a contribution, it's Dreamcenter dot org slash donate. You can also drop off donations at two three zero one Bellevue Avenue. That's continuing, I believe through next week. But just if you go, just know that, you know, don't go if you're in a super big hurry, because it's gonna take a little while. They the lines are astounding and I would love for you to go and take a look at the interview with Clint and get a look at what's going on at Dream Center La. I'm posting this on my Instagram at amy K King a M y K A y K I n G at amy K King, Also on Kfi's Instagram at KFI AM six forty. You got to see what they're doing a dream Center La and it's probably gonna make you want to do something too if you haven't already. Thanks again to dream Center La, and again the contribution is dreamcenter dot org slash donate. Thanks again to everything that dream Center LA is doing, just doing God's work. Really, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Some people in fire evacuation areas have chosen to stay behind to protect their homes. Ivanna Manly in Altadna tells KTLA she and a few neighbors are watching for any embers that might reignite and are protecting their homes from looters.
Speaker 3: I do have firearms, and I've been, you know, calling my friends like to make sure I know.
Speaker 7: How to legally exist with them.
Speaker 5: Since the fire started last week, dozens of people have been arrested on suspicion of looting homes and businesses in the Palisades and Eaten fire evacuation areas. Local authorities and fire officials advise all residents to follow evacuation orders. The deadly Palisades fire is now twenty one percent surrounded. That's up from eighteen percent a day ago. Winds are expected to reduce dramatically over the next few days and pretty much take calm through the weekend. But as we've mentioned, another Santa Ana wind event is in the forecast for early next week. The fire in the Pacific Palisades area erupted on January seventh and has burned through more than twenty three thousand acres and at least five thousand homes, buildings, businesses, schools, you name it, it's burned. At least nine people have died in that fire. More evacuation orders have been lifted on the outskirts of the Eton Fire burn area near Altadena and Pasadena. Containment of that fire is going up. It's up to forty five percent surrounded. The Eaten Fire has left sixteen people dead and burned more than fourteen thousand acres. Southern California. Edison continued to do public safety power shutoffs in areas with high wildfire risk. It's due to continued high winds and dry conditions in the Inland Empire. As of early this morning, about twenty seven thousand customers in San Bernardino County are without power. It was shut off as a precautionary measure. The numbers down to only about one hundred and fifty customers. In Riverside County, the brush fire in Riverside that broke out Tuesday in the Santa Ana River Bottom has been classified as arson. Riverside Fire authorities confirmed the fire in near Mission in Avenue and Indian Hill Road was intentionally set. They are investigating the blade. The fire burned about two and a half acres and did prompt some evacuations in road closures. No arrests have been made yet. Prosecutors in La and Orange Counties want to make looting during an emergency a felony. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the legislation proposed yesterday would make the crime punishable by prison time.
Speaker 7: It would also classify looting as a strike under California's three strike law, and it would make a looting charge toffer to expunge from a criminal record.
Speaker 5: Dozens of people have been interested for looting and other crimes in the fire areas around Pacific Palisades and Altadina. Two of the men charged in the murder of actor Johnny Wacter in downtown LA have been sentenced to prison. Lionel Gutierrez was sentenced yesterday to four years after pleading guilty to attempted robbery and grand theft. Frank Alano pleaded no contest in October to being an accessory, receiving stolen property, and possession of a firearm by a felon. Two other eighteen year old men were ordered last week to stand trial on murder and robbery charges for the actors killing last May. The FDA is banning an additive used in thousands of food and drink items.
Speaker 8: The classic red dye number three has been put in American's food products since nineteen oh seven. However, the end of a thirty year study by scientists shows evidence that the food dye, which is used as artificial coloring, has links to cancer and animals. The dye, which is made from petroleum, was challenged by several organizationations in twenty twenty two that led to the ban on Wednesday by the FDA, which covers the rest of the US. California was proactive by banning red dye number three in its drinks and foods back in October twenty twenty three. Andrew Caravella kay if I News the.
Speaker 5: US Border Patrol has busted up an attempt to smuggle five baby spider monkey monkeys into Texas. The animals were found in a car Tuesday at a highway checkpoint near Corpus Christi Monkey shelter Primarily Primates says it is tragic that people are trying to smuggle monkeys. No kidding, They say the animals are difficult to live with and often become dangerous. Remember not too long ago we heard that people were smuggling tortoises in socks.
Speaker 3: People are just crazy.
Speaker 5: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanya, who says a last minute crisis with Hamasa's holding up Israeli approval of a just announced cease fire. ABC's Ian Pannell says the news comes as people in Gaza have been celebrating in the streets.
Speaker 11: So Netzignaho governments is accusing the mass of reneging on deal. They were supposed to have mets already this morning. The Security Cabinet should have ratified the deal, but that hasn't happened, raising questions.
Speaker 4: About what happens next.
Speaker 5: Natanya Who's office has said the Cabinet won't meet until Hamas backs down the ceasefire was supposed to begin on Sunday. It would include the release of thirty three hostages and the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. Musicians will i Am, Derek D, Nice Jones, and DJ Head, along with actor and philanthropist Ettian Maurice, will be presenting a live stream benefit tonight to support those impacted by the La County wildfires. It's modeled after Club Quarantine, created by d Nis in his living room during the COVID nineteen pandemic. Remember when they were doing that. I remember Toad the wet Sprocket was doing concerts. Glenn I believe is his name, and they're just doing concerts in their living room. So cool, nice way to spend the time. But anyway they're doing it. It's basically the same format. It's called lah aimed at rejuvenating fire affected residents during a time of displacement and isolation. That's according to the Annenberg Foundation and the will I Am Angel Foundation, which are both sponsors of the event. It's going to happen at six pm. It will originate from will i AM's Fyi campus. You can watch it on Instagram and YouTube. It will include sets featuring d Nice and Djhad and will include updates on available resources and also feature stories of hope, which is always a wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: I totally forgot to tell you this.
Speaker 5: I got a DM from another listener on Instagram at Amy kay King and they said, oh, Amy, are you going to be watching this?
Speaker 3: And I said, what am I watching?
Speaker 5: So? You know, our our friend Colonel Nick Haig, who's a NASA astronaut and also a Space Force guardian, and we've had the opportunity to talk to him several times. We also got to talk to him on the International Space Station. Well, he's up there and he gets to go for a space walk today. In fact, it's supposed to have started at five o'clock. It's on the NASA plus app. I need to go turn this on in our next break. But Commander Sonny Williams is going to be going out there along with Nick Haig. Plans call for Williams to float back out next week with Butch Wilmore. And of course Sonny and Butch are the ones that went up to the space station on the Boeing Starliner and they were supposed to be there for a week, but then now they've been there for like nine months. They were planning to come back in February, but I believe a last time we heard, it's now been pushed back to March. They just want to make sure that everything is right and ready for them to come. And in fact, Colonel Haig's whole mission got redone. He was scheduled to go up with a crew of four people in August, and that's what we had been talking to him several times leading up to that, and then when Sonny and Butch got stuck up there, they had to reconfigure everything, so the mission changed. Colonel Haig was promoted to commander, so he's the commander of his mission, and they just went up with two astronauts. It was actually Colonel Haig and then a Russian cosmonaut, and they left two spots open so they can bring Butch and Sunny home.
Speaker 3: But what I's thrilled they're going to be doing a space walk today, Well, just walking in space. I know, yeah, I know, I'll have to ask him about that next time we talk to him.
Speaker 5: Here's another way you can help fire victims and get entertained. At the same time, fire aid relief is coming to the Intuit Dome on January thirtieth, performers and ticket information. We don't know yet it's coming soon, but they have scheduled fire aid relief. Did the into It Dome on January thirtieth, and we'll share the ticket information and the performer information once that's announced. State Farm says it will offer policy renewals to homeowners impacted by the Southern California wildfires. State Farm was planning to drop coverage for the homeowners, but says it has paused that and now says people who had coverage as of January seventh, when the fire started, will have the option to renew for another policy term. The US Air Forces it has deployed three military planes assigned to the Wyoming National Guard to Los Angeles to help with the wildfires. Three other C one thirties from a Colorado Springs based US Air Force Reserve unit and the Nevada Air National Guard have also been deployed. President elect Trump may be considering an executive order that would put a pause on a new law that requires TikTok to sell or be banned. Suspending enforcement of the law would give the Trump administration time to work out a sale or some other solution. The Chinese owned app is scheduled to be banned in the US starting on Sunday. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, the Israel Hama ceasefire just announced yesterday has hit a snag. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen Moore, of President elect Trump's nominees were on the proverbial hot seat. Pam Bondi, the nominee to be Attorney general, how'd she do yesterday?
Speaker 15: Well, look, she demonstrated her discipline because republic Democrats tried to repeatedly get her to talk about what she would do if the president ordered her to go after his political opponents, and she wouldn't give an inch. I mean, you know, she wouldn't acknowledge that Donald Trump lost the twenty twenty election. She said that Joe Biden is president, but she refused to say yes, Senator Joe Biden won and Donald Trump lost. She also refused to engage when questioned by Senator Schiff about whether she would push back against the demands to, for example, investigate Liz Cheney or Jack Smith, the former Special counsel. She said that if everyone's so worried about Liz Cheney. Senator Shiff ought to be worried about the crime rate in the state of California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a fun little exchange.
Speaker 15: Yes, And she also pointed out that Senator Shiff was censured by his colleagues in the House. Now, when all is said and done, I think it'd be a huge shock if Pambody were not to be confirmed by this Republican controlled Senate. And Senator Lindsey Graham spoke for most Republicans, not all of them. What he said that he's glad that the President elect picked her, that Donald Trump knows Pam Bondy, that he trusts Pambondy, and that Pam Bondy is highly qualified, having served for eight years as the state attorney general in Florida.
Speaker 5: Do most attorney generals previously serve in a like in a lower capacity? Is it an attorney general or is does it matter?
Speaker 4: I think it varies.
Speaker 15: I mean, you have various examples of attorneys general who have served as federal judges. That was certainly the case with Merrick Arland. You have attorney's general who have served in senior posts in the Department of Justice, previously. I don't know that that's the case with Pam Bondy, but Pambody, having served as the chief law enforcement officer of one of the largest states in the country, certainly has the requisite qualifications compared to others who have been confirmed for the post.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, okay, And then yesterday, Stephen, they were also talking to Senator Marco Rubio, he got his confirmation hearing. I thought that they did them like one after another after another, but that one appeared to be going at the same time.
Speaker 15: Yesterday was apparently a tied the record in the Senate for the number of simultaneous confirmation hearings. And the whole idea is to see to it that the instant that President elect Trump takes the oath of office at noon on Monday, he can go into an anti room off the Senate Chamber sign papers that formalize these nominations, and maybe by the end of next Monday, the Senate will vote to confirm some of these key posts. But you know, while these hearings are held essentially protectively, the whole idea is for continuity and so that you know, the new president can have team confirmed as soon as possible. They can hit the ground running. Now we're talking about a couple key posts, certainly the most senior posts in the cabinet Secretary of State, Attorney General as the Treasury secretary designate Scott Bessant has his confirmation hearing today, and again I don't expect that these nominees will have trouble. It'll be interesting to see how the vote comes out for Pete Hegseth, the Defense Secretary nominee. But ultimately, when all of a sudden done, the effort here on the part of this new Republican controlled Senate is to demonstrate to the country and to the incoming president that are they are ready to go to make sure that, as they say, elections have consequences and the president has his team in place, okay?
Speaker 3: And then do we have more confirmation hearings tomorrow or are they kind of done after that.
Speaker 15: I'm not aware of anything scheduled for tomorrow. I think everyone's getting ready going to the Burlinton coat factory to buy all the coats and scarves and gloves and hats that everyone's going to need because Monday's inauguration ceremony is set to be the coldest in four decades. We're talking about midday temperatures at noon Eastern time under twenty degrees with windshills in the single digits. The last time it was that cold, or about that cold, the president decided to have the ceremony held indoors.
Speaker 3: I was just going to ask you, do they ever move it indoors?
Speaker 15: It has happened once in the modern era, and that was Ronald Reagan decided in nineteen eighty five. I don't know if it was Nancy Reagan or whoever, just maybe it was him himself said you know what, it's not worth making everybody freeze. I don't know how Donald Trump feels about it, but you know, as evidenced by the desire to have the flag at full masted full staff, despite the law which says that for thirty days after the passing of a former president the flag shall be at half staff, the idea is I think it would perhaps be seen as the wrong message to send to the country for the new president to yield to the climate and the weather. Let's see how it all plays.
Speaker 5: Out, all right, ABC. Stephen Portner, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 3: As always, you bet.
Speaker 5: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KMFI twenty four from southern California's expected to get a break from the Santa Ana wins over the weekend, but they're not done yet. Todd Hall with the National Weather Service tells KFI more strong winds are expected early next week.
Speaker 6: And yes, we will very likely see critical fire rid conditions again developed once again sometime between I would say Monday and Wednesday next week.
Speaker 5: For now, red flag warnings of critical fire danger have expired in much of the region. A red flag warning will remain in effect until three this afternoon for the western San Gabriel Mountains, the Santa Susanna Mountains, and the five and fourteen Freeway corridors, with gus up to about forty miles per hour expected. A hillside home in Pacific Palisades that survived the fire has split in half from what appears to be a mud and debris slide. Not clear when the home on Castemalai Castella Mare Drive was damaged. Video from the air shows the home in two pieces, with one section leaning heavily toward another nearby house, with mud and debris surrounding it. A home just above on the hillside burned to the ground. The La County Health Director is issued in order prohibiting debris cleanup or removal in the fire areas that include Pacific Palisades and Altadena until has met inspection is done. The Health departments is fire debris, ash and dirt from the fires may contain asbestos, heavy metals, and other hazardous substances. Once cleanup starts, property owners have to get special approval and then follow laws regarding fire debris and hazardous waste cleanup and disposal. And The Autrey Museum in Griffith Park is planning to reopen today and is offering free admission. The museum has been closed during the wildfires. The museum said in a statement, the Autry's top priorities the safety of our visitors and community, and it is with caution the autre Is Police to announce we're reopening our doors Thursday, January sixteenth. The museum is offering free admission through Monday. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI, the winds are diminishing, but as I just mentioned that red flag warning remains in effect until three pm for the western San Gabriel and Santa Susanna Mountains and also the five and fourteen freeway corridors. Sunny skies. Highs in the upper sixties at the beaches Metro La and inland O c. Sixties to about seventy in the valleys, and I E. Fifties in the Anelote Valley. Morning clouds, afternoon sun Tomorrow cooler with highs just around sixty. It's forty two and fuller ten fifty four in San Clementy, twenty six in Lancaster, forty two in Studio City. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.