Speaker 1: Got to review this.
Speaker 2: Oh, Rob McFarland's is the River Alive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the new Robert McFarland got to review that for the Critic, which would be a very interesting read. And once the embargo is lifted on it, which is on April the twenty sixth, we had to talk about it because I thought what might be quite a good idea is that we ought to go and read more. So therefore books that you have read or have just read that we ought to occasionally going to talk about that because you know, we are all literarty types. And and then you know, why do we go and have almost a book club? But not a book club? Too bad?
Speaker 2: If it was a book club of Robert McFarlane books, though, we wouldn't get anywhere. Because I love his writing. I wish I could understand it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever found if you just pretend to be the character of whoever's writing it, suddenly you can understand it.
Speaker 2: Does that work for natural history? If I pretend to be a grebe?
Speaker 4: Can I ask how do you fight?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you have like a a reading hour? Is there a specific time that you read?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: How do you fit that in? Because quite honestly, at the moment. It is not a habit I can keep up in any way, shape or for no.
Speaker 1: I am with you on that personally, well sat on the loo, and before I go to sleep, I'm a terrible I've got a very low light reading lamp, so I don't keep Claire awake, and I read before I go to sleep. And then, because I'm now middle aged, I then wake up at about half pass three and I have to go for a week too much information, and then I come back and I can't go back to sleep again immediately, So then I probably read for another hour until about half ass four and then doze off, and then the alarm clock goes off at six, and up I get again, So I get about two three hours of reading in it. We're really weird times of the day. So yeah, what do you do? Richard?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 2: As I trying to catch up with that, because I misheard him, I thought you said, have you got a reading owl?
Speaker 3: That would be I mean that would be pretty good, Callum, does look like the head week.
Speaker 2: So I've got two readings. I do fiction just before bed? Are you talking again? Calum?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 3: I was just going to share a little story.
Speaker 2: You can have your story in a minute. Oh no, have your story now then?
Speaker 4: Fine, No one can specifically about ours.
Speaker 3: We had a sub editor at at work and I decided to buy her a present, which was an owl that one owl says who and the other says whom with a question mark, and she really liked that.
Speaker 2: So what have we done this week?
Speaker 1: Well, you go first, to go first, okay, So why you've been Okay, usual stuff. I went off and planted hedges, planting, planted, planting, lots of hedges. But today I went to that there London, and I had a meeting with my publisher because I don't know if you know, but I've got a book coming out on the first.
Speaker 2: It's got a book coming out, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: About hedges, and who's publishing it unbound? Yes, and it's called Words from the Hedge and I think it's going to be huge. Anyway, I had this publisher's meeting with the lovely Rena, who is the head of communications, the lovely Flow, who is the poor individual who actually had to edit the thing, and Patrick Galbraith, who is the sort of editor commissioning editor who did it. And so we had a chat about all the various events which we are going to go to with the book and some of the press stuff. So now all the hard bit and by me is done. And now my wife Claire has organized this huge tour which we're going to do, of which the good news is that the Country Slide Pod is going to get involved in some of these events, going off to things where we can go and sort of talk our stuff and hopefully that might inspire people to go and hopefully buy my book, so that would be quite fun. And then I went out for lunch.
Speaker 2: How close are you coming up to me?
Speaker 1: Cheltenham? Cheltenham Science Festival? Where else am I going? Sort of your way? Exeter? That's a bit quite a long way south against the Exeter Comedy Festival, Exter Literary Festival. Where else am I going?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: The game Fare? That's quite sort of west. Most of them seem to be rather east southeast now all the way down to Kent. But there's nothing actually specifically in Wales yet, But who knows it. It's funny when with books, I mean, is my first book I've ever published, and it is that the whole marketing thing is very weird, very weird. I don't understand how it works, but you know, I just go where I'm told, really talk about it and hedges.
Speaker 3: I'll just wait for it to be on Instagram reel and now I'll just give it after twenty five seconds.
Speaker 1: Now what you can do is you wait till it comes out on audio, and then you can think, are wonderful all those chapters with me just talking at nauseam?
Speaker 3: I think that genuinely, I think that your book would be really, really good as an audiobook, because it's not. Certain books really don't lend themselves very well to being audio books, but certain ones really do. But I find it really like I've been editing for like two days straight and I've had nothing but podcast and audio books because I just I go into auto pilots so I can listen and take in information, but obviously I can't read while I'm trying to airbrush people's wrinkles out of there from under their eyes. So yeah, I rate the audio books the only time I get to do it. And you know what I've had, I've started doing when I go on a dog walk and there's nothing much to do, I launch a conversation with chat GPT on my phone and you can do like a full conversational piece with it. So I've had a full education on trying to learn wine. So today I explored what the different Italian great varieties had to offer. Also, it helps with the pronunciations because I see lots of wine names and I'm like, what is this an?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I've been to Multipli. It's very nice place. Any road listen. So we now know what you've done. Is that is that Callum has done chat GBT and I've been to London and swander around doing literary stuff, having lunch in swanky South Kensington restaurants at my friend James Chiverini's with fascinating lady and a gentleman briefly today who are quite high profile, I suppose, and I'm not going to tell you exactly who that they were, but they were. They were huge, fun, very entertaining and very cutting edge. And I was sat in this restaurant and I could see most of the crew from the Daily Mail sat on a long table and because of the person that I was was sat with was quite high profile. You could see them all even though they were drunk his lords and onto their seventeenth bottle of wine, you could see them going, who's that bloke? Who's with that famous geezer and his wife and they were sort of waving the waiter over and I can I'm not a lip reader, but like I say, who's see. It was quite good. Yeah, I was talking about you today. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was talking to somebody from the Royal Countryside Fund and we were talking to them about a project we're trying to get funded here and we're saying, you know, we want to do hedge laying and coppicing in part of that. And the guy said, immediately right, you'll have to have the king gup. The King parents mad on hedgelaying knows all about the styles, knows all about hedgelaying. It's a big deal.
Speaker 1: He's he is the president of the National Hedge Layers Society. He has a lot of his hedges laid. Obviously he's placing in the Cots Horse and he's got they've started laying hedges two at Sandringham arm he has think it's telling tales out of school. But he slightly infuriated his partridge keepers because he wants to put trees in the hedgerows are Sandringham and of course the worst thing, the last thing you want for gray partridge conservation are trees in your hedgerows because a gray partridge loves a hedge, but he hates a tree because he knows that death perchaes above in that tree. So yeah, so therefore they don't really want that. So the predator purchase are what we call trees. I mean, absolutely superb. Put them all at the end in a little spinny or a cop sort of type affair at the end of a hedge. Fantastic, but not along the length of the hedge. But you know, he's the king. He gets to do his own shizzle and why not. But I don't think it's a very good idea personally. If you want great partridges.
Speaker 2: Well you can't say that that's treason.
Speaker 1: Treeson I guarded loyally guarded his mother back in the day, sat on a horse. In actual fact, I was mortared once on Queen's lifeguard. I would then they weren't actually aiming for me. They were aiming for John Major, they being the IRA. But it was quite fun as a sat a little horse called Lancelot, and the IRA decided that they wanted to mortar ten Downing Street. The bass plate was about half we was in the back of a transit van. It was about half the way down from horse Guards, heading towards Fowler Square, and they'd cut out the roof of this transit rafah and they lobbed these things over there and they landed in the garden of because people don't know, it's quite a sizable garden at the back of ten Downing Street, and they landed in there. But these things washed over my head and my little horse Lancelot that I was sat on on guard on at the time sort of went bloody hell. He wasn't very steady under fire. He dropped to his knees and rolled over and I just managed to extract myself from underneath. And some pillock of a rayal military policeman from the SIB, which is their sort of version of the CID, said what did you do at the time? And I was a fairly young trooper and I was saying, well, I was upside down because my horse fell over. He goes, what could you have done to stop it? And my and the guard commander is a court force called Fletcher, and he was a right tough He ended up going into the Foreign Legion in the end, and he said, what do you think he was King dinner do with it smacking out of the air with his king sword and this military policeman sort of I think I won't argue with you, and yes, all right, fair point. You know what I'm I supposed to do. I'm wearing something that went out fashion and Queen Victoria's reign. But anyway, that's my I can't even remember how we even got here, but we got here, and you now know it's just one.
Speaker 2: It's just one tumbling thing after another. I mean sometimes it's like throwing a load of bingo balls into a river. This podcast sort start off with an order you chuck them all in and then just stuff comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Plastic pollution in rivers. There you are, what about you? Yeah? It is your bit now, so you are now going to talk to us about conservation and Milton Keynes? How many bitcoin between here and the moon and this spaniel that you met last week?
Speaker 3: Due to Trump tariffs? Bitcoins not reaching the moon just yet?
Speaker 2: Is it not?
Speaker 3: Beat as Day? Did a beat as Day? It's good fun as fun as beat as days are missing sausage roll Sam out of the lineup a beats Day? Very disappointed? No, sausage rolls on the last day.
Speaker 2: That did you miss Sam or did you miss sausage rolls?
Speaker 4: Both in equal measure?
Speaker 2: All right, as where's a hierarchy of needs on that.
Speaker 3: Some say he's actually part man, part sausage roll Others say it's more of a sixty forty split.
Speaker 1: But has he has he changed since we gave him a knighthood? You know? Is he now a bit more aloof? Is that why though I'm not luring myself to come on a beat's day, I've got a knighthood. I'm not hanging around with all these scum he sort of.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest, He's probably got invites.
Speaker 3: For the rest of the season after that.
Speaker 1: I think this is the case. Anyone who gets mentioned on this podcast now is both blessed and damned because wherever they go, they said, you mentioned whether.
Speaker 3: Or if we don't like them, then Kim and the rest of Korea make sure they get taken.
Speaker 2: Out number one in career again.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I went looking for the Korean embassy today because I had someone told me that apparently the North Korean Embassy is actually in a suburb somewhere in a semi detached behind a private hedge. So I thought, well, I'm for japes and a laugh. I will go and look for the yes for some Korean banter. So I walked, obviously, to walk to Old Portico. You've got to go past so many of the embassies. You go past the French embassy, and I thought, I'm not going to go and have the French one. That's got no comedy value at all. Then I came to the Panamanian embassy and I thought, oh, this will be fun. So there weren't that many people walking along there, so I got my phone out and turned it onto reverse. So I was going to do a little thing, and suddenly this man came out and he said, you can't film here, mate, And I went, you know what, I'm just doing this for a podcast. You can't film me. I went oh, And so I thought, well, I'm not getting in trouble with the Panamanians. You know what. Look what happened to McMillan over the Panama Canal. There was all sorts of hassle. So I walked on and I thought, that piece of comedy gold is now at an end.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if you were in a public place, well, don't get all I want to get all photographery about you.
Speaker 3: But technically I don't think he's got any rights to tell you. But then maybe yeah, if you're in a public place, public right away, he's got.
Speaker 2: Film members, he's Otherwise Google street View wouldn't exist.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean I have to say that there is one place up in I think it's an outskirts of Newcastle that they just put this thing on a WhatsApp group and said the Google vans coming around and just every other snapshot as you go along on this street view thing, just Jordie's sat there with their penises exposed because they just stood there in the windows or garden gates of that.
Speaker 2: Every time I've been to Newcastle, that would lead me to believe that you could have just done that on any random day and filmed in a direction and you would have seen somebody in a state of undress.
Speaker 1: They have got a great sense of humor, and yeah, they are the funniest. So anyway, we now onto have you said what you've done other than oh no, you did some other exciting things, isn't you.
Speaker 3: I was also in London. I had a couple of days in London, which is quite nice.
Speaker 2: Went round.
Speaker 4: I went to Fallow restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh like them.
Speaker 3: They've got an exceptional YouTube channel and if you want to learn to cook like I don't know, fancy sauces and stuff, the Fallow YouTube channel is probably the best resource because it's actual chef.
Speaker 2: Stuff and works as well. It's done from a very practical point of view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's not much messing. It's straight in. This is exactly this how you make it taste amazing And I've turned a lot of those recipes and stuff in there with Partridges, Pheasants all that jazz made amazing sources and pimped up a lot of game meet using that. So when I got the opportunity to go to the restaurant, I was blown away and I just was, yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 2: Are working there or are you just passing around?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Just drinking and eating and having a laugh.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 3: I'd go as far to say it's the best meal I've had in London.
Speaker 4: That good.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Yeah, it's really worth going Fallow. Saint James's wholeheartedly recommend. I had a beef rib that. I mean, it didn't look like much at all, but it was smoky and incredibly beefy and probably one of the finest pieces of meat I've ever tasted in my life. It was just so unbelievably good. So highly recommend that place if.
Speaker 4: You get a chance.
Speaker 3: But I also went to the Harold's Food Market during that time and they're selling lots of game meat down there as well, which was really interesting. Partridges you can buy a wood pigeon, you can buy mallards everything down there. I think that's the best selection of game meat I've seen anywhere. I think even my local butchers hasn't got quite as much as that in the in the window, and they show a fair bit.
Speaker 2: Fortland's had a good pile last year as well. I don't know if they have if they kept up with it, but they sort of. Everyone seemed to go over to a decent supply of game. But it is nice. It's weird you have to go right into the middle of London to see it, whereas a lot of provincial towns you you struggle to find game of that regularity in that that's equality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, the same with Borough Market. Borough Market is a wash with every single conceivable but a game you want to have their you know, you think where I went for lunch today, I had a venison shank, and then when lap along two doors down is open, that's nothing but game. So it's actually, bizarrely is that the Capital is best served whether it be for butchers or for restaurants, that's where you get wild meat, that's it. Whereas hick where it's actually shot and processed, and then it's a bit seemed to exist, but it was ever Thus, I think, you know, there used to be special trains used to go from great Yarmor filled with game and wild fowl into the Capital. So I suppose we're actually only repeating the pattern that's always been.
Speaker 4: That funny.
Speaker 2: You're burying the lead a little bit here, callum as well, because have you been moonlighting on any other productions.
Speaker 3: My final thing was I was invited thanks to thanks to your good reputations and the fact that you two had already done it onto the Guns on Pegs Podcasts. Had a very extensive, long conversation with the chaps on there, and it was it was really good. It was a really good time. Actually, it was really fun. I listened back and I was trying not to be too controversial, but.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 4: Obviously I didn't try that hard.
Speaker 1: I think they did very well. They let you talk and they asked you a question. They pulled the ripcord and they let you talk. And I think that narrative of the let's talk to Callum the fascinated observer and you showed your fascination and some of the questions that you asked of it. You know, why is that normal?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I think particularly about the clothing was very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shuffle, shofflegate.
Speaker 1: Yes, shogate. Yeah. And I think there was a lot of it's worth while listening to the Guns on Pegs podcast anyway, because obviously we are not a shooting podcast people, but they are.
Speaker 3: I did have to get that across several times because I just going to make sure and probably there's there's I So a point I do want to make is they also ask excellent follow up questions to lead me into stuff.
Speaker 1: When I sort of follow up questions, they ask Callum.
Speaker 3: Ramble onto non sequiturs, which unbelievably I have a tendency to do. And so some of my favorite podcast co hosts also have a tendency to ramble into non secutars on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: So yes, I've never done anything like that.
Speaker 2: I've never had Tuesday, Build Build Pump.
Speaker 3: So yes, it was a really good podcast. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I should imagine there's probably some people listening that have come across from there, which I'd like to say welcome.
Speaker 1: They've left already, don't worry, they probably have as.
Speaker 3: You talk about a load of Bill hooks, hey, and then yeah, just you know, there is actually some good content on this podcast episodes including tree Man, Harry Hoblin, Harry Hoblin, Demand the Legend. It's actually a really good episode and not just as ambling like this any any other leons.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Chalon Davis, he was excellent, and I'm really particularly looking forward to was it week after next? Is We've got and Dobson on? Yeah, we've got Andy Dogson on talking about reed beds.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm particularly excited about this because I know bogger all about it. I get I get to ask loads of questions like what is a reed? What do you do with the reeds? What the reeds taste off? Can I eat reeds? Can you burn reeds?
Speaker 4: Can you give me a taster?
Speaker 3: So am I right in thinking that they when they there's something about regenerating the habitat when they take the reeds out.
Speaker 4: Is that a thing, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, basically Andy is from he comes from about I think four generations of thatchers and they are the bee's knees. And obviously here in Eastanglia, one of the major mediums that you use for thatching is water read fratchur my tease Australis, I think is the Latin name for it. And the interesting thing where he's going to come from is the fact that we do not use British read half as much, three quarters as much, seven eighths as much as we used to do, because there are certain organizations that say, don't cut it, you know, or we've got to leave it alone otherwise the bittens will suffer. And so we end up if we're going to look after historic buildings with having to import water read from Ukraine, from Turkey and Egypt and places like that, which of course is not ecologically sustainable. And there's also a big question, and this is the thing I really want to understand from him, is that is it actually yet another thing that you're getting certain sort of wildlife NGOs saying, oh, leave everything alone. It will be fine, Is it not? Actually that these habitats are suffering as a result, and that we are also missing out on getting this sustainable product which we could be using on that. So I'm really looking forward to it because I don't think another podcast would have thought about reed beds. But they are such vital habitats they need to be managed. And we're asking someone who's about to get his doctorate in reeds. I don't think there's another read doctor anywhere. But he's also really understands it because he's a proper thattor and he's from a family of Thatchers.
Speaker 2: And what I was going to say, if he's a fourth generation Thatcher, does that mean that somewhere in the village is someone with a surname minor that absolutely hates him.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: I've been sitting on that joke for about three minutes now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish I'd sat back on it.
Speaker 3: If you're waiting patiently not listening to a word, let's.
Speaker 1: Shut him up by asking what have you been up to this week? Richard?
Speaker 2: I've been up to absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I wrote an article for Scribehound on wild garlic and why you're not doing enough with wild garlic. Well, yeah, Ramsoon's is a better name for it, wild garlic, sort of the weird modern name Ramsen's is more is probably the most common English name. And over here in Wales it's crab a crab a gavier. But rams AND's you get place names named after wild garlic. So Ramsey and it's in Suffolk. Ramsey, yeah, yeah, named after the Ramsey bottom.
Speaker 1: My father's family. A lot of them come from Ramsey. And I think it's actually Huntingdon shere? Was it Lincoln shere? I can't remember that sort of fends man.
Speaker 2: As well, there's Ramsey there. I didn't know that most places with rams in somewhere in the name in England are more likely to be doe with wild garlic than they are to do with the sheep. Well, I never there you go. That's that's that's your bit of value for today and for everything else. Like what you do with wild garlic, I've broke it down into five or six different things, so you do it throughout the sea. You just do one thing, So you do stuff different stuff with the young leaves than the mature leaves, and then the flowers and you can pickle them and do all sorts of things of them so cool.
Speaker 3: So I found my first wow garlic, that's what.
Speaker 4: What do you call it?
Speaker 3: Ram ram ramsons?
Speaker 4: So what do you do with the young lea?
Speaker 3: To found my first ones when I was pigeon rooshing about a week ago, and I picked them and left them in the fridge to die, but I have every intention of actually using it.
Speaker 2: So raw, fresh and raw to pick them, wash them, make sure it's actually wild garlic, and then you can eat those raw. They're the ones for salads and things like that. The more mature they get, the more they'll benefit from a little bit of heat and a little bit of cooking. So March tends to be when you start to get the mature ones. But the young ones now they've got a real kick to them, So they're the ones are going salads and sandwiches and things like that. And the flowers are the best bit though, wait for the flowers to come up, although actually the seed heads that are left behind after the flowers have died back, you collect those and you put them in a side of vinegar or a white wine vinegar, and you make a sort of a.
Speaker 4: Garlice caper that sounds good.
Speaker 2: I nick that from a chef at La Manoir because I was trying to knock me down on the price of forage, so you told me a recipe as part payment.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things was to get the wild garlic and you hold it used something like a I think I used cold press rape seed oil, and I held it at a temperature of like eighty something celsius, so it didn't like quite fry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite volatile the compounds in there.
Speaker 3: And then gave it like ten minutes or something, and there was a trick that would make it a very deep green and ensure that you didn't wash all the color out. And you had this stunning wild garlic oil. And I saw it on I don't know it was a TikTok or something. I followed it to a tea and it come out absolutely perfectly. And I never wrote the notes down. So if anybody knows exactly what the trick to make in a wild garlic oil to be a deep, rich green, you.
Speaker 4: Just let me know.
Speaker 2: So the thing with that is, I bet that didn't taste much of garlic at all, because the more you mess around with garlic and wild garlic and temperatures the more you lose a flavor of garlic. So this is another sort of chef secret. When you have wild garlic whatever and in a restaurant and it really tastes of garlic, chances are they've lobbed some bull garlic in there as well. Because wild garlic is you should think about it more as an onion that tastes a little bit of garlic rather than a true garlic. So the more you mess with it, the less it tastes off garlic. It's this weird thing out the really popular foraged items for restaurants. Often you have to mess with to actually meet the customer expectation. It's like chicken O the Woods. People always say, oh, chicken O of the wods, it's wonderful. No, Chicken of the Woods generally tastes of butter because that's what it's swimming in when it served you on the plate. And it doesn't have nothing wrong with deep flavor at all. Yeah, I mean, butter's fine, but it is it's a delivery vessel for butter. Mostly puffballs.
Speaker 1: They don't taste a lot, did they really.
Speaker 2: No, But they'll absorb the flavor of whatever you put them with At Fallow.
Speaker 3: We had a cabbage and it had like a little truffle thing next to it, so they they're very transparent. So I googled what they did to this cabbage to make it taste unbelievable, and it turns out they confee it in butter, then fry it in butter, then cook it in butter, and then smother it with butter, and then put butter on it, and then smokes and butter and then put butter with it. It's basically just a buttered cabbage. There's a lot of butter in it. Let me just tell you.
Speaker 2: I was going to go on a limb going on a limb there and suggest that recipe might be French.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it is one of the best.
Speaker 1: It is peculiar. A country that is renowned for not really wanting to die in war is more than happy to kill itself and others by their cuisine. Not the fact it tastes bad. It's just there's just a half attack on a plate.
Speaker 2: What a way to go though, smoking a gal naked from the waist down eating.
Speaker 1: Well, it's cabbage.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't like that, just just for the obituary. Choking on a steak bad Oyster.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody. Richard here the one in Wales, not the hedge laying Suffolk. One week we got Hugh, my mate from Petrovelin Farm, to give me a little sort of audio summary of what he's doing with yogurt. Well, a few of you suggested that we should do that every week and give a little bit of time over to a small rural business so they can describe what they do and people can hear about their services. We put a thing out on x and this is one of the responses we got. We did get a few others. They're a bit weird, so we've shoved those at the end of the episode. You can hear them there. But for now, this is Jonathan.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 6: My name is Jonathan Harpm and I'll run a company called Ethic collabora Culture and we're based there in the Fens and we're a triecare company. We specialize in optimors and the trees health threats into our natural law span and we do this utilize and some very fancy kit we can order decompact the soil injecting beneficial natural nutrients straight into it. We inject trees again nutent strain in the tree system, or in certain cases we can even pick them up and move them out of the way using one of their tree spades.
Speaker 1: Um that will do.
Speaker 2: And you can read more about Jonathan's services at Ethicalarborder Culture dot co dot uk. Now back to the show. Talking of inappropriate behavior, We've had an email, so if you want to there's an email address in our show notes if you want to send us some stuff people do, and we've we've got some future events lined up that came about from those emails. But this one I'll make them anonymous, so they say, dear all, I am a retired solicitor from Oldham, so not your target audience. I am sure, no, that's that's that's within the bracket. However, I enjoy listening to your conversations, even though they are occasionally a bit laddish callum real, especially while working outside in my garden. So I'm going to skip ahead a bit here. I feel that I have no concept as to whether most of our agricultural land is farmed by huge landowners slash companies on an industrial scale, using agrichemicals with no thought for wildlife, and merely owning land for agricultural relief purposes. Alternatively, is most of our land farmed by small family farmers in a more traditional manner with an innate love of their land and animals who will suffer most from the odious loss of agricultural relief. Do we live in a countryside largely stripped of all its wildlife? Or is the countryside in a healthier state than that? Is the countryside becoming more industrialized in its management and unfriendly towards wildlife, or has there been a step change towards a more environmentally friendly way of farming over recent years. What is the balance between these extremes. I would appreciate your insight as non farmers, but with a strong relationship with the land. There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's you know, that's rather serendipitous that should come through, And thank you very much for bothering to actually ask us. I think that it's rather ab aside, because I'm writing an article at the moment for the Critic, which is about how we actually got from the about the time when the repeal of the corn laws in eighteen forty six, forty eight something like that, and how that shift, how government then decided that it was better for Britain to import food than it was to grow it here. Ok. And so what was the corn law that the corn laws, Well, there was a I think we're basically we put tariffs against the imported goods and that was a Tory thing. Wig. Someone was someone called free traders, and what they believed was it was better that you should have free trade so that we could import stuff because ultimately what it would do would force the price down. So therefore, rather than ensuring that our farmers earned lots of money that if you imported food from largely the colonies, because of course we were, rather we had a pretty win win situation is that if we imported loads of wheat from Canada, well we were still getting a drawer out of it, because you know, Canada part of the Empire. If we imported once we had frozen transportation and we were able to import lamb from the colonies of New Zealand and Australia, well then fantastic, we could import that, but we were still getting a drawer out of because we owned those two countries as well. So therefore the free traders were were very much that we could import food. And that sounds like a history point. You know what the hell's that got to do with today? But what it was the start of was the driving down of food prices. So therefore farmers in this country had to try and compete against countries where they could have cheaper production costs, either because the scale that they could achieve, or otherwise in more modern days. Let's be perfectly honest. You know, if we're important costs, labor costs, kenyon beans, well, because a kenyan is going to get paid buttons compared with what you're going to have to pay someone for here. And so of course all these various things that happened. So actually from the repeal of the corn laws, you've had this issue. Now, why does that affect wildlife? Well, largely because the moment you have to start cutting costs, you increase in industrialization, you increase mechanization, you reduce the numbers of people who are working on the land. So therefore a winter work only fifty sixty years ago, but certainly before the Second World War, winter work on a farm in Suffolk would have been right, lads, with all the corners in the grain store, find and do the off you go, you eight men, you're going off to go and do the hedgerow management. Well you don't have that anymore now because you've just got a flail mower, and so therefore you've reduced all these people. So our addiction to cheap food, aided and arebtted and enabled by government has, i would argue, is responsible for the decline in wildlife. And so when you think about it, in nineteen seventy three, when we joined what we know as as the European Union, the UK spent thirty one percent of its monthly income on buying food, right, that's how much it costs. By the time we left in twenty twenty, we bought twice the amount of food for only ten percent of our monthly budget. So food had becomes so cheap by that point. Now something's got to give. If you're going to grow food for that cheap, it means that wildlife's going to take the hit because you're going to increasingly rely upon sprays, you're going to increasing rely upon lots and lots of artificial fertilizers. You're going to try and eke out every single inch of value from that field. So it's an interesting point. But I would say that if you're looking for a point a finger of blame. It's the consumer, but largely it's the fault of successive governments of various hues insisting that food must be cheap, aiding and abetting supermarkets who forced that price down because they wanted to go into price wars, and our farmers were forced into a position where they are and wildlife has suffered as a result.
Speaker 3: So let me just need that in a nutshell, I'm trying to get my head around it. So we've made food to a price that's that's the cheapest it's ever been. And as a result, then that the farms aren't having enough having as many staff as previously.
Speaker 1: More industrialization, more specialization, right.
Speaker 3: So then that's so the need for food costs to be cheaper and cheaper and cheaper and cheaper has driven less people and more and less funding for wildlife, I suppose. Or is it just just the practices of the farming.
Speaker 1: I think the practices of the farming have certainly been up until we got elms in. I mean, I think it was about eighty three. Margaret Thatcher was surprisingly green. It's something that I mean, she was talking about climate change very early on. At the end of the day, she was a chemist, she understood the science, and she brought in the first environmental schemes and funding for farmers back in about eighty three because they started realizing, ooh, all this industrial farming which we had been pushing so that everyone can eat as much as they want for ten bob and a rabbit skin has had some repercussions. And then from the eighties through to elms. You know, now we've got it's completely different. Changed.
Speaker 2: And eighty one was a Wildlife in Countryside Act, which was landmark piece of legislation which encapsulated all ecological management into law in one place, rather than being scattered across twenty different things. Somebody once told me that the Wildlife in Countryside Act was effectively the Antiquities Act recobbled together and were sort of a find and replaced for schedule monument and put schedule of protected species. And that's why I read so weirdly in places when you look at the protection given to some areas and not others.
Speaker 3: So what is I don't really know what the elms, elms trees.
Speaker 2: We used to have.
Speaker 1: Elms, the Environmental Land Management Scheme. When we left the EU, all our funding for farming came under the Common Agricultural Policy, and so because that was more or less invented for supporting peasant Portuguese farmers and French farmers who are and tirettle farms because you know, they have these weird rules about inheritance and whatnot, and got time little farms. It was designed for us in Britain where average farm size was slightly larger. The Common Agricultural Policy with its basic payment scheme which gave you a amount of money for the amount of land that you owed, that was a really good thing, but it was slightly the thing that encouraged things like milk lakes and grain mountains and what not. And so then they brought in which was funded through which was across Europe. This the comryside stewardship schemes there, which was supposed to enable you to go and apply for grant funding to do good things for wildlife. But it also it subsidized your growing food basically by this basic payment scheme. And the more money that you got was the bigger the farmer you were. You got more money if you had more acres. Now, when we left the European Union, Michael Gove came up with this brilliant idea because he was the Defra secretary. I think is a brilliant idea. And actually most farmers thought it was a good idea, and less possibly it was a little bit ropy for some of the upland far because they're so complicated what they have to do up there, and their margin on what they earn is so tiny. But the Environmental land Management scheme was this thing is saying we're going to replace all that European stuff and we're going to pay you public money for public good. And in other words, what that was was we aren't going to subsidize your food. We're going to try and make you have a nice, wonderful We're going to do all our politicians stuff and work behind the scenes to go and get you fantastic trade deal all around the world so you can export food and we're going to make sure those nasty supermarkets don't rip you off. But the money we're going to give you is to improve air quality, improve habitats for wildlife, water quality, all the public good in the environment. That's the idea and it worked. It worked like an absolute charm. This is the weird thing. I mean, Michael Gove, I would argue was the greatest death ro secretary we have had in I don't know how long, And of course, in typical conservative mindset saying oh, you've done quite well at that, let's go to move you to somewhere else exactly, it seems to be that was going yeah, yeah, yes, well done, We're going to go and shove you off and do something else instead.
Speaker 2: You can't possibly have two years of competence in one go.
Speaker 4: And have you thought about foreign policy?
Speaker 1: Yes exactly, Yes, we're not going to put you off, and you're going to say how are you with tanks? Do your tank is? Yes? I do. It's one of those things of the gun on right off you go m O D for you mate. You know he was made the he was made the dutchy of Lancaster book. You don't even know where lancashyere is anyway, Look.
Speaker 3: Did so did they cut? So they cut food subsidies and then with the intention of backing up elms as something for environmental good to best practice farming.
Speaker 1: Best practice farming precisely that so that we were going to have where the idea was supposed to be that the farmers could actually make money from their food is the fact that they would create market forces that paid a fair price for they did. But also is that all the environmental good they had, because let's be honest, seventy two percent of our land mass still is farmland. They were saying, well, you're gonna have to look after that for wildlife, and we the consumer, the taxpayer benefit by the fact we've got cleaner water, cleaner air, we've got more wildlife about, we've got more trees, we've got more hedges, we've got floristic margins, we've got meadow land back. We have got all the things that all the environmentalists wanted. So to ask that question, is the countryside and a healthy estate? I think that little bit there is it Well, I think it was heading the right way if i'd be perfuse. I'm not a Tory. I ripped up my Conservative Party membership card quite a long while ago now, But I think that Gove created something and he got some support from Rishi Sunak that really made it a workable thing. It was so good that the Labor Party when they came into Powis and we're not going to touch elms, was there the thing they said? Then they had them going with this twenty two billion pound black hole shizzle that they just explain all their stuff away and then they now buggered it all up. But I think it was a great scheme, I really do, and I think that wildlife was getting in a better way.
Speaker 2: Isn't it quite telling that we're on a Britain's premiere rural podcast depending on whose chart you were consult and not one of us as a tory. That's that interesting?
Speaker 1: Isn't that very insightful? I think To answer this question, and it's a very wide question, and it's one that probably would take about two hours to fully answer, the countryside has become more industrialized, and it's become more industrialized because it had to. But this started back a long, long while ago. You know. You think of how we in Britain have always been very very good at inventing stuff to make farming easier. And you know Bake Well farmer, George Jethrow Tull, all those people, they all invented stuff to make farming easier. So we've always been industrializing. But I think the financial incentives to be more industrialized came from government, ah and it necessitated the decimation of wildlife and the wider environment, because the only way that farmers could keep their head above water and feed the beast was by doing that. Gove created elms, which reversed that and was already started. It was in such short order of how quickly things you could see. My god, there's more starlings about. My god, there's dunnocks everywhere, all of a sudden, My god, we've got this. Yes, you could go to some places, ah and you seeing as much wildlife. But I mean that's not surprising, because you know, not all farmers have embraced the ideas. But it was a great thing, and I think we're now taking a backward step courtesy of the current government.
Speaker 3: At some point I suggested that we should do a episode of what we'd like or what we think the countryside looks like in the future. But just looking out, I don't know. Two a couple of years into the future, I mean, inflation's running wild through, prices are going up and up and up. A loaf of bread costs Avivor what does farming look like in a situation where well on the trajectory we currently are, What does farming look like from a standpoint of wildlife? Are we going to be hammering the most efficient. Let's produce food for the cheapest as we possibly can because we need to curb this inflationary issue that we have. Is in the short term, is wildlife really going to take a hit due to spiraling costs?
Speaker 2: See my whole My take on the whole thing is it really depends where you're looking. I mean to answer the original question from our emailer, looking at rural North Wales compared to looking at rural Suffolk, it's a completely different world livestock farming versus out arable farming. Just I mean meant I was meant to be but the client just canceled. I was meant to be in western Shropshire tomorrow on the Welsh border. And I've said before this, particularly in spring, you can blindfold me, take kidnap me, and then I'll drop me off somewhere and I could tell you which side of the border I was on, just based on the land management practices.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the difference is?
Speaker 2: So I would say the English side is more diverse in species in sort of just hetererospecies, planting species or something like that. More diverse and tree species, different livestock as well, more of a mix as well a lot of dairy, but you will start seeing more pigs and more things like that. In the livestock side of things. It just feels more pastoral, whereas Whales feels wilder despite not necessarily having the visible diversity. So part of that is terrain, part of that soil. Part of that's income because you just earn more as a farm in England than you do in Whales, and I know that to your friends on both sides of the border. Policy makes a huge difference to that, but also number of people looking after the land, so there are more people running smaller farm that cover a smaller area in England than you have in Whales, whereas Whales you have some fairly poor farms that cover huge areas. So you can have a huge acreage of mountainside, very poor scrub mountainside or unimproved pasture or whatever the coding is these days, that will dwarf the acreage of somewhere in Shrupture or Herefordshire or somewhere like that. But the farm in Herefordshire will probably have three times a turnover. So all of those factors affect it, which means to say, is the country sy getting worse or better. Well, it depends where you're looking. And the thing about the future, I always try and look for the past to find lessons, and it's the Industrial Revolution made a weird thing happen. So it's difficult to sort of tell for certain, because you're only going off anecdotal accounts and contempt accounts from them, and people weren't writing much about this sort of thing. Then it did seem that nature was in a fairly parlor state at the end of the eighteenth century a lot of farming. Farming had pretty much reached the pinnacle of what it could do without mechanization, without industry providing things for it, which means it was almost like an over farmed organic farm that you see now, edge to edge, grazing lots, not much time to rotate between things, trying to get more and more out of it. Then came along the Industrial Revolution, and then a lot of people moved to the cities to working these places, going from your literal cottage industry to working in a factory, going off there, going off to be injured in some horrendous mill accent, or be somewhere. Was it Catherine Cookson who we always writing about going off to move from the countryside to the mill, and.
Speaker 1: Eighteen fifty one was the first year that there were more people in the census who lived in urban areas and the countryside. So I do a talk for various things saying eighteen fifty one was this pivotal year because for the first time we stopped being a rural economy and became an urban economy. And obviously that has carried on going Now. I think it's about sort of nineteen percent of the population of this country now live in rural areas. But of that nineteen percent, it's something like four percent are actually directly involved in farming, and obviously then there's others like.
Speaker 4: Me and Richard workers.
Speaker 1: Probably no, I think it's it's more or less in stasis now. I don't think it can get any less.
Speaker 2: Depends what you call a rural worker as well, because somebody working on a laptop on a broadband connection in a cottage, are they a rural worker or not?
Speaker 1: Well working on that that's difficult, I suppose, I suppose frontline troops if you like. But I think one of the things that's interesting about this issue that Richard highlighted is to create a one size fits all policy for farming and also for the environment. So therefore, where ELMS is really challenging, and where they were starting to get there, there's an adjunct of ELMS which is called the SFI, which is a Sustainable Farming initiative which added greater flexibility to ELMS. And what that was a caterph was the issue that Richard has said is that you have got such a difference. You know, I say right at the start of my book. I don't often talk about my book, but there is you cannot be an expert on hedges. It's impossible. You can't be an expert on hedges because a Dorset hedge compared with the Suffolk hedge is like comparing Jupiter with Mars, right, they both planets, but utterly different. So therefore you've got to understand so much about the intricacies of soil, climate history, geographic location, all these various things, just weather patterns and systems that to have a one size fits all policy is very, very difficult. And I think that they had done this where we've suddenly arrived as a big problem. So you've asked the question, which I think is a very good one callum, which is, where do I see it if this economy keeps going the way it's going, and what will happen to wildlife? That's the thing that worries me. Of course, I want my farmers to be in a good state, because they can't be green if they are in the red. That is the first obvious thing. But all of a sudden, land use under this current administration has changed, so Gove and the Conservatives and you know, he then went off and he's stopped being an MP's now the editor of the Spectator and dah da da da da. But he had left a situation where we suddenly farmers were starting to actually we're just in the middle of the big farmland bird counter at the moment we've suddenly gone. I would get farmers ring me up, or they'd send me a WhatsApp and they'd have a little picture of loads of goldfinches feeding on a feed ride or something like that, or I say, rich, what's the and you know, I'd have to go and try and identify some blurry moth that they had done. Oh I found this on my thing, because it'd suddenly become quite engaged with nature more and they were actually interested in it, and they'd almost be bragging, Oh, I've got sixteen pairs of gray partridges on my place and you know, and then you'd see someone a bit quiet, Well, I've got more limits online than you have. All of a sudden, this current government under that Miliband idiot, is that he's now looking at land as a place where he can put solar panels and wind turbines, because his idea of being green is this fictitious energy system that he's got, which we all know anyone who can count up to sort of five on one hand can say it doesn't add up. And so therefore what he's trying to do is do a land grab to put green energy production on places. And I don't think in the grand scheme of things that this is going to be that good for wildlife, and it's obviously appalling for our food sustainability and security. So therefore, I think, to answer your question, callum, where are we at If this economy keeps going the same way. It's only going to hit us in our pockets, but it's also going to kick the poor old yellow hammer right in the egg laying department. And I think to answer our question that we were set by our listener. I would say that that piece where she said, have we become more industrialized? Yes, and we have discussed as the reason why we had turned a corner. And we were still industrially farming land to grow food, but we were almost farming just as industrially for nature as well. We were creating mixes, we were creating cover crops, we were creating floristic mixes which worked far above what if you just left it to nature to do. Because we've buggered up the lamb for such a long while, you couldn't just rewild it because it doesn't work. So therefore, companies are OHK, banking, kings and places that had developed all these seed mixes that you could sow and drill, and they were getting funded by the government, and they were punching above their weight for wildlife. The GWCT had done all this research. If you put these here in this situation, in this soil, this will work. It was going so well, and I fear we're going to have a terrible industrial future and we're going to see nothing but wind turbines, and we're going to see nothing but bloody solar panels, and nature is going to not thank us one bit, and I would imagine that that's the way it's going to go, and we won't be any rich or better fed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that removal of the removal of the money is going to be the biggest factor because you can Okay, so for nature, you can do two things. You can either do some really positive management, which has to be careful but also has to be quite intensive in places in the hedge lettings, fairly intensive. You're cutting out a big chunk of stuff and throwing it to one side to make something that will be good then for twenty years, but it's going to be targeted. You've got to do it in a way that makes sense across an entire landscape. The other thing you can do is just walk away and leave it, which isn't actually bad for nature, but what it does do is take a long long time for the effects of man to stop. So I won't say where it is, but I've been observing over the last couple of years natural region at a big estate somewhere in England that's being left for rewilding, and every time I go there, I can still see the lines of the crops that were put there five years ago, because that soil is going to take a decade to start looking like a meadow again. It just looks like a scrubby field that's been left to go over, and the same with lots of the other corners. So nature will restore, but it will take decades to do. And that's what people always get wrong with this. You know, the sheepwrecked mountain landscape of whales. Yes, the sheep are eating the saplings and preventing anything else from growing up to that there. But if you took the sheep off, it would then still be a scrubby, fairly poor landscape, then covered in these weird grasses as well, and then you might get some heather coming back, but then the heather would just get burnt off the first time as a wildfire. It would take a long long time for the trees to return back as well. It's not happening in your lifetime to any significant amount. If you want to return it. If you want to change a landscape to look like something else, to make it a better habitat for a species or a set of species, or to improve the balance to offset something else elsewhere, you have to manage it. You have to do stuff to it and all that money is going. Almost the best bet for nature in a lot of these places is that it can just be left alone to do something for at the timescale it needs. And that's the other thing. The people aspect of this, because I think we're going to have almost well, we're already seeing it people returning to wanting to move out of cities and live in rural areas, because living in a rural area now compared to say even two thousand and nine, it's hugely different. In two thousand and nine it might as well have been the eighties living in rural Northeast Wales. No internet, there's no buses, everything's still in black and white. You couldn't do much. But now I'm sat here on one hundred and fifty megabit internet connection. There's no difference to me between me and Callums relatively urban sort of edge of village place where he is, and we've got good access and there's a Greg's drive through opening in the local town at some point. You know, if you're living here as a commuter village, it's not much difference to somewhere just outside of Chester, what's ten fifteen years ago. So they'll have a lot more people moving here, a lot. All the new houses are being built in villages and the edges of green towns, which means new road, which means new access things, which means compacted soil for a long way around from all the construction site. I'm a little bit less worried about the lack of money for management of landscapes, and I'm more worried about the change in population density in places, because adding people to an area means wildlife always has a poorer outcome. It never wins.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that. I'm with you on that, and I okay, here's an interesting thing. And again it shows the difference between regions and even regions within counties. The Breckland, which is the north bit of Suffolk, and the south.
Speaker 2: The bittery bit.
Speaker 1: No, that's more the bittens are over the broads, the brecks are these very dry. It is the driest place Stanton down that it's always the thing. It's the driest. I think it has the record for the coldest place in England, the hottest place and the driest. It is an utterly bizarre place in and that's one of the reasons why they made so vast swathes of it into a military training area near Thetford and the Thetford Forest and one on. And one of the interesting things that there's a fantastic, fascinating scientist called Paul Dolman who's a professor at the UEA, and he's done a lot with the farm cluster up there, and they're looking at because they had this absolutely superb and unique flora and fauna, but particularly the flora that was there, and a lot of it relied upon the old heath being there and that it was being gnawed down to the quick by rabbits. Now bear in mind the rabbit is a non native creature, but the brex had been created by rabbits largely just gnawing the this very poor, sandy, gritty soil down to and these weird little things started growing in there and that was the only place you'd find them in the UK, where, of course the rabbits all died. The farming practice has changed because we're so blooming clever. We managed to learn if you've destone this place and you can actually turn it into vegetable growing land. It's nice and light and so therefore if you put enough fertilizer in it you can grow vegetables. After about ten crops is absolutely knackered and if you leave it alone, it goes back to heath relatively quickly. But the downside is not what breckland used to be because there aren't any rabbits anymore. So therefore is if you're looking at it, the idea of rewilding breckland, you can't do it because you lose all these unique bits of flora. So what they actually do is that they go in with essentially a power harrow and they bash up vast suedes of this heath and to try and recreate what the rabbits were doing. And hey, press the it's the only way they could come back. Some bright spark from the Wildlife Trust said let's reintroduce rabbits, which they did, and then they all died because the diseases of VHD and mixed motosas were still there. But it shows you that if you want sometimes to get this just this idea of shutting the farm gate, walking away and say let's rewild it, it doesn't work. But also, more to the point, even if you follow you think about farmland, right, it grows our food and so if you think stuff it am I going to import all our food and we're going to put wind turbines all over it, and we're going to put solar panels all over it. It's not rewilding, is it, Because it's not wild because you've got these bloody great big turbines and thing and solar panels everywhere. So therefore there is always someone wanting to do some land use, you know, either grow food and make a profit out of it, or put turbines and panels up and make a profit out of it. So therefore I think rewilding although an excellent idea, and I think every county should have a wildcn hill and a NEP, but it only needs one and the rest of it we should be able to farm because we need to eat, and we should be more food sufficient. But the bits that you don't need to farm, the land sparing, should be managed and it should be managed in such a way that it is bashing above its weight for wildlife. And this is where the rewilders and the conservationists have a locking of horns. And I think that is the answer to the question that we have been set is that yes, we've become industrialized and isn't it good? Because industrializing to make it better for nature is a great thing because we humans are part of nature, and so therefore, why shouldn't we use our intellect to try and undo some of the dirty stuff that we've done since eighteen forty six they bought in the repeal of the corn laws. What do you think? Callum?
Speaker 3: A lot of people, So a lot of people do say rewilding doesn't work, and I have seen quite a lot of evidence to show such stuff.
Speaker 4: But then equally.
Speaker 3: There's places where places get leveled and quickly trees grow, particularly fast growing trees, and within ten years there is a reasonable amount of biodiversity that does come back you yeah, yeah, But for other things that aren't curlews, I have I did do a bit of researching because quite a lot of people have said before that rewilding absolutely doesn't work, and it appears in some edge cases.
Speaker 4: I think it might.
Speaker 2: It depends what depends what people's definition rewilding is. If it's just get hands off, then all you're going to do is then the back of climax of vegetation until there's a fire, it burns down and your reset.
Speaker 1: In Californians, how that goes.
Speaker 3: I'm particularly thinking there was some stuff about some woodland that people had left, and within ten years some quite nice sizeable trees grew back and the forest looked healthy and not not as terrible as it could do. But I should imagine this probably as well as rewilding, there's probably somebody on a nearby state doing a deer management plan and some other stuff as well that go that go alongside.
Speaker 2: We've had that humans on these islands for a long, long long time now buggering it up. It hasn't been wild for many thousands of years. So the rewilding part is it's a bit like like a listed building status. I think you've got to decide, okay, which bit are you preserving? Which state are you going? Because I've seen listed buildings from the sixties, you know, because it's preserving an architectural style of the mid twentieth century, which means you're stuck with your law and you and you weird brickwork and stuff like that. So which when you're rewilding, where are you going back to? And I think that's the problem I have with the term rewilding is I never know what that person means when they say, rewilding.
Speaker 3: Just turning it like you said that, you said that that trees might not return in your lifetime, which is probably true in a vast amount of places that Like, So, I've got an area around where I live that has changed rapidly over the past like twenty years, and the only it's largely just left alone. They grace horses on it, and it's just left alone. But it doesn't really change. The only thing that did change is it became very marshy due to a leak that the local authority won't rectify, and now we have like quite an interesting area of what you could only describe as wet woodland thanks to the leaky which is which is actually a very unintentioned good consequence.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things that things is is that it's like most of the debates in the countryside and about farming, is that rewildings seem to be a fantastic idea because if you think about it, it spends. You know, I get paid not a huge amount of money, but I get paid money to go and lay hedges. The idea about rewind thing is that basically, you buy this farm and you shut all the gates and you block up the drains and you walk away and hay press though as if by magic or the wildlife will come back. Now we do as conservationists, practical conservationists, we try and create wilder spaces around the edge, but we create them well. That the Rewilders argument is that nature knows it better than me and Richard Gould, right, that's the which is probably true. But the problem is is that how soils behave, particularly when they've been intensely farmed for such a long while, or you've got circumstances like I've explained in the Brex there whereby circumstances dating back to when the Normans bought rabbits over I mean, good god, it's it's it's something that you then have to go and recreate that because you want to go and have this space, you have to have human intervention because if you actually just left the bres alone, it's missing that vitally ingredient of rabbits, which we know we can't bring back because it will die. So therefore, what you're going to do if you want the brex or do you want to have that? So I think that human intervention is a necessity.
Speaker 2: Back to the ice Age well, but even then there are the mix of animals we had has changed, and the reason things changed after the Ice Age because certain things died out, because the habitat changed, because the climate changed, which led to greatest amounts of some populations and less of others. We can't return back to some fabled point unless you remove the humans as well and carefully sculpt things back into that point and then sort of start the clock again. Because if you took out the forty acres of fields behind the house here that are not mine, just stop farming, just didn't do anything with it. Yeah, there'd be trees grown up in the fields within a couple of years, and there'll be all sorts. It would also be KFC for foxes because there isn't much ground nesting bird habitat around here, so that all try and go there, and then every fox from miles around will be choosing to snack on things there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the apex predator, then you have then that's where the real wildest thing come and say, okay, yes we have got a problem with predators, and we have the apex predators anymore.
Speaker 1: So then you have this thorny issue of people trying to sort of say, well, we're going to put links there and we're going to put wolves over here, and they will do this. I mean, that's why, really it doesn't work, because putting apex predators in is obviously a bonker's idea. There's no two ways about it. If we decided in fourteen hundred and sixty five whatever it was that in England that wolves were incompatible with us when we had a population in the whole country about the size of London now, then it probably means that now we've got seventy three million to have all we're going to they ain't going to be very compatible now. And the old things have gone all the way down to Cornwall, and they were saying this is about the only place we've found in England where there's any space left. And we still killed them anyway because we thought they don't work because you stop eating our sheep. You know, they weren't just going, oh, we're wolves, we'll only eat roe deer. It just doesn't work like that because nature isn't like that. You go for the easiest option, and an easier option is to go and kill a sheep than it is to go and kill a road deer. But anyway, or a German chancellor's pony, yes, or a German chancellor's pony. But I think, you know, if we get back to the whole point, is that, yes, we've industrialized. Yes we nature is in a parlor state compared with what it was, and I'd say it's in a parlor state probably compared with what it was towards the end of the Second World War that was where the tipping point started. And then probably by about nineteen seventy ish when we joined the European Union what it was called back then, it really ramped it up. And then we got to a point where in about the late eighties early nineties a lot of species had actually become more or less unsustainable. And so therefore you can't rely upon mother Nature to do because human beings created the mess. So it's up to us to get us out of it. It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we're not going to resolve this now in this evening's episode. So I think Callum's got a thing to finish us up with. Just as were.
Speaker 4: Your gloss off the top of you. He's wearing a little beanie hat.
Speaker 3: Now he looks like a he's like a ship Craig Davey and sit there.
Speaker 1: He needs a kestrel on his arm.
Speaker 3: Craig anyway, just how nature has changed so completely outside of farmland. My area has changed quite significantly in the past sort of well, even in.
Speaker 4: The last few years.
Speaker 3: Today, there used to be a heron on the pond every single day. That seems to have gone, but it's been replaced by kingfishers. So I see kingfishers around all the time now and up until a couple of years ago. In twenty years agoing around that pond never saw a kingfisher. There's kingfishers around there. All the frogs seem to have died off. They didn't come back. The last two springs no frogs had come back. But when my son was a boy one two years old, we used to go and see the frogs around there. They've all gone. We now get woodcock in the woods where we never ever had those before. More head sparrows than ever before. Sparrow hawks are also plentiful as well, due to a lot more people. I think lockdown was really good for a lot of people that were doing supplementary bird feeding. They were enjoying the gardens.
Speaker 2: More buffet for sparrow hawks.
Speaker 3: But that also meant that the sparrowhawks absolutely loved it. And I often see them because they know where there's a larger concentration of birds in the urban garden. They I was on the phone to you once, Richard, actually and sparrow hawk absolutely destroyed a sparrow in front of me. Yeah, And we've got red kites that have now been replaced largely with buzzards. We never had red kites before. Now they've been largely replaced by buzzards. And I saw one hedgehog in the past five years and it was like the size of a football. For some reason, it was the biggest hedgehog I've ever seen the headhog life.
Speaker 2: And it was the last last hedgehog.
Speaker 3: Probably you joke, but I think that might have been the last hedgehog. He was having an absolute word of a time. I haven't seen a hedgehog in five cases, and I used to see him. I used to see him regularly as a kid.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting point. So therefore, there is a lot of wildlife. You live on the urban net fringe, the urban edge, and I think it's one of those things that that's probably a place where you know more wildlife is almost observed. The wildlife where I live isn't observed because most of the time people don't have access to it, thank God, so they don't see it. You know, I know what it's there. I was watching the other day planting a hedge and I discovered something quite fascinating because I'm now old, and you know, I try and plant five hundred hedge whips a day, right, and so about every fifty or so, I stand up straight my back and go oo, and I stop for five minutes. I have a quick suck on my old vape thing. And I watched the skylarks out on some stubble that was to my left hand side, and I saw there was a pair fighting up in the sky, and then I realized there was another pet and there are about five skylarks fighting. They do not fight on the ground. They go up, not as high as they do when they've actually got their territory. But when they're sorting a territory, the place that they seem to want to the bit of territory they want to take ownership of is the sky, so they're not battering hell out one another down on the ground where they will actually nest. They want to try and get this is my air space. So they have this little dog fight. And I realized that the reason why I've only just noticed it because I'm getting older and stiffer. And I stopped more and think that a five minute break. I actually stopped and watched, and I think that's what we should do more of. Is the big farmland bird counter at the moment is go out there and watch. Shut up, look around you and observe. And if you can record in some way for the big farm bird count is a great thing. But just in your own data bank and say, well, I never and so that little observation you've had is great. My observation fascinating, I think.
Speaker 2: And if you haven't come across it before, already, go and download the Merlin bird app. Oh yeah, it's like Shazam for birds. So you download it onto your onto your phone and you have to download the pack that's all the sound files for West I think it's like Western Europe or something, but that's got our birds on it. And then you just leave your phone somewhere in a meadow or on the edge of the garden or the edge of the truck and it will tell you at its best gets what species it's hearing, and then you can screenshot that and you can you can add it and add it to your list of things that you've seen. But it's a really good way of almost like passively recording it because it will pick out all the differences in the song. But the other thing as well, with waiting to see birds. If you're out doing some work in the countryside, does a lot of our listeners are, or you're visiting it, don't just stop and then immediately scan and go, well, there's nothing here. There's the amount of stuff that you'll see if you sit quietly for ten minutes. It's them being noisy and buggering around that scares them off. If you can sit quietly and stop jigging about, they will start to become more active again. The other one is standing in the field in the middle of the night with a thermal imager, possibly a Hicck micro one who can sponsor us if they like. If you think the countryside is devoid of wildlife, go and stand in a field with a thermal imager at night. You'll be amaze what's honking around out there in the fields. Just when you're all abed more. We've had another review. Accidentally, Great stumbled upon this by chance. I was looking for unvarnished but deeply knowledgeable rural dispatches without the overly tweet sentimentality or the dry academic spreadheaty common in other shows concerning the countryside and conservation, and found exactly that here. Love the rambling, unedited chat and the easy dynamic of the three hosts. More of this please, And that's from mess.
Speaker 3: My favorite bit is they think the ramblings unedited, it would be so much worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's about two hours of editing per podcast that is just cutting out all the dross. Is amazingly these are the best bits.
Speaker 1: It's a weak thing, do you know. I think actually eventually people is going to think that Amy's name is actually that she's called poor Amy.
Speaker 2: Well, we I think we've picked up some new listeners as well over the last couple of weeks, so welcome to all the new listeners. And we know that some people are sort of listening and then going back through the back catalog because you can see how the numbers change. So I think, you know, people seem to be happy with that, So thank you, and if you do. If you do like this and you haven't shared it with your friends already, then please do because that helps us reach new audiences. It doesn't sort of automatically get shown to people you Sometimes you have to share it manually. And if you want to leave us a review then that would be really useful too, because that tells other people that this is this is worth their time, because I think that's the thing with podcasts. You look at it and go that's an hour and a half? Can I be asked with an hour and a half? So if this, if they read some good reviews, they know it's worth clicking download. So thank you for that. Just a reminder that Callum and I and with Amy and toe poor Amy will be attending the British Shooting Show on the Friday in a couple of weeks time, which I think is that's thirteenth, fourteenth something like that, on the whatever the Friday is, and we're going to be going around there with.
Speaker 3: My fourteenth Valentine's Day val pictures of Richard Nigus which he signed and he's kissed every one of them.
Speaker 2: On Valentine's Day, You're going all the way over to the neec on your own then.
Speaker 1: Calm, you're not taking your missus with you.
Speaker 3: I'm taking nine. I don't think she's going to want to. Some people do actually have to. They've got surprisingly, people have got real jobs where they have to turn up to places, so they can't just stick around and go to like Birmingham or wherever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said with such which hate Birmingham. It's the nec It's not that bad.
Speaker 3: I once stayed in a hotel that was about half a mile from Birmingham. But what they didn't tell you is called the Arden Hotel, where they didn't tell you it was half a mile but the wrong side of whatever that motorway was, and it was seventeen pounds in a cab to get across the road, and it has the worst burger that's ever existed. And my friend accounted the same story, which I feel was like, did I tell you this story? And it just so happened that we've been to the same hotel and had the same experience. Imagine a hockey puck in a limp bun and that was what we were served for about seventeen.
Speaker 2: Pounds, hockey puck and the limp burn. I think that's the correct way to end this podcast, so thank you to everyone. Thank you for listening. Please like and subscribe No that's YouTube, No just you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also send us money as we have several people who've been sending us lots of nice things, including Louise again, so thank you very much Louise. Yes, we will spend it on some sort of gin or maybe just the hosting costs for the podcast. So thank you very much everyone, Bye bye, thy thanks.
Speaker 7: Hello as Angus Blair brave Heart McNeil.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 7: As you know, cats in Scotland are history. If you want to make sure it's steeds that way, called today for a free quotation. We've got fen traps, gen traps, pole traps, cage traps, even they ones for bears. They'll catch a cat, dinny you worry, So let's make cat's history. If you see one in the garden, call us today eight hundred two three four two three four. We'll go on our website for a quotation www dot scotch cats get it you will.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, Hello, this thing on this This is Jeremiah I run. Jeremiah's are sluicing with sluice arses mainly on the world, but we also we also go out as far as Wig. On the other side, we don't We don't go into into Liverpool though we know we don't go there, but we sluice ourses mainly human, but we've we've also been known to do goats, pigs and we once did a recalcitrant lama that refused to get bathed. But but mainly mainly it's human. So our sluicing is mainly what we do. We've got sort of three tiers of service. We've got a basic one which which is cold water, We've got a premium one which is warm water, and then we have a Premium Deluxe version which is where we use soup soap as well.
Speaker 2: We can use soap and we can use soup, but if you have soup then then really that's extra. That's a bespoke quote. So if you if you go to our sluicing dot org because we couldn't get dot co dot uk because that Git from Portsmouth has got that one, our sluicing dot org that's where you'll find us.
Speaker 8: You all know it's me Hubert's Washington Smyth bringing you a very unique experience for you and the lad It's simulated hunting of poor people will take you for the day. You will track along our shed and you'll see tenants super some you saying about bifters and other such things. And then you'll get to go into the simulated area and hunt poor people.
Speaker 4: You'll get to use.
Speaker 8: Different caliber of weapons, anything of your choice.
Speaker 4: It's a fantastic day.
Speaker 8: Monte, Johnte Bonte and Conti will be there.
Speaker 4: I hope you'll calm down.
Speaker 8: It's twenty pounds per person and you'll all get a glass of Bollinger on arrival. Thank you, brilliant