Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Gym rosen House along with you from Kansas City, Missouri, where the Guardians in the midst of their season opening series against the Royals. What an opening day on Thursday, a dramatic seven to four to ten inning win for Cleveland over the Royals. The teams will meet thirteen times this season, and you got a figure of the remaining twelve. There'll be quite a few like the opener, because they are two teams that are very evenly matched and have high expectations regarding winning the division and reaching the postseason once again as they did a season ago. Good show lined up for you today. In just a little bit, we will hear from Jose Ramirez his thoughts on the season ahead. We will also visit with Nolan Jones, the former top prospect for Cleveland had been with Colorado. Now he's back with the organization that drafted and developed him, and we'll hear his reaction to the trade and some of his thoughts on rejoining this ball club. Also Daniel Schneeman, a first for him making an opening day roster, and we'll get his thoughts about that accomplishment. And we'll hear from Stephen Osterer, the new farm director for the Cleveland Guardians. Our first weekly farm report from Osti, and he'll fill us in on TRIAA Columbus. But first to look back at opening day, a sellout crowd in Kansas City, as you would expect, the joint was jumping, They were out early. It was a three to ten local time start. And I can tell you if you showed up at nine to go to work that day, you had to battle tailgaters who were already at it out in the parking lots, the massive parking lots here at Kaupman Stadium and the Chiefs home football field as well across the parking lot. And they were ready to go, and they saw quite a ballgame. Vinnie Pasquentino put the Royals in front in the third inning with a three run home run that made it a three to nothing ballgame, and just like that, the Royals were in front. They were facing Ben Lively because Tanner Biby, the scheduled opening day starter and rightly. So the ace of the staff came down with the stomach illness and that really hampered him the last thirty six hours prior to opening day, and the Guardians just didn't want to risk putting him out there despite his best efforts to continue and make his start. Stephen Vote, the manager and the pitching staff as well coaches, they said no, no, and they bumped him back to a little bit later on on this season opening road trip. So the Guardians are trailing three nothing after three, but they started to chip away in the fourth, John Kenzie know Well with a sack fly. Another sacrifice fly, this time from Jose Ramirez in the fifth made it a one run ball game, and that set the table in the sixth inning for Kyle Manzardo to put the Guardians in front on.
Speaker 1: Hell Surpas pitch swung on and Kyle Manzarto with a deep drive deep right center. This boss got a chance.
Speaker 3: It is gone.
Speaker 1: Kyle Mansardo into the fountains and right centers, left on left, and Manzarto has given Cleveland its first lead of the campaign at four to three on Hell. Sirpa, who was so big for the Royals a year ago, brought in to face the left tender and on a left on left matchup, Kyle Manzardo blasted won four hundred and twenty four feet to the fountains and right center. Manzardo another guy who just came into camp bounding with confidence based on September and what he did in October. And Manzardo, who had three point sixteen with a home run against Detroit and the Yankees in October, has picked up where he left off your one opening day.
Speaker 2: That was just the start of what turned out to be a huge day for Manzardo as the Guardians had a four to three lead and they turned it over to last season's best bullpen in baseball, and first up in the sixth inning was Cad Smith, now the two two.
Speaker 1: Swing NMS ran it in on his thumbs at ninety seven miles per hour and Bobby Witt Junior's strikeout victim number one to start the sixth the pitch swing and he got up with a slider and Kate Smith makes quick work of the best threesome in the American League, went pass Guentino and Perez and it's four to three Guardians.
Speaker 2: Then in the seventh inning, Tim Herron held on to the lead.
Speaker 1: The bitch strike three called fastball on the outer edge, and the Guardian's bullpen picking up where left off. In fact, when you think of how Ben Lively finished, Cleveland now has retired thirteen consecutive Kansas City hitters. And we go to the eighth with the Guardians up four to three. Then in the eighth inning, Hunter Gaddis worked himself into a jam with a lead off walk to Calvin Biggio, and then later on in the inning and error by Gaddis put runners on the corners with nobody out. But somehow Gaddis would work out of it, putting the finishing touches on a scoreless inning by facing one tough customer in Bobby Wood Junior.
Speaker 2: Now the two.
Speaker 1: Pitch tys on a slider. What a job by Gaddis and this Cleveland alert infield defense. Somehow the Royals head first and third, nobody out and they do not score four to three. Cleveland, we head to the nineteen.
Speaker 2: So it remained four to three heading to the bottom half of the ninth inning and with a Manuel Classe on to close it out. Normally that means an easy pass to a victory, but not in this case on opening day, Classe was hit hard enough where the Royals would tie the game, as they did it on a sackfly off the bat of Michael Massey, and that made it a four to four contest heading to the tenth. The Guardians, though, would strike for what proved to be the decisive runs, as they had brought Rochio starting the inning at second base as that lead runner, and Stephen Kuan stepped in to try and put the team in front.
Speaker 1: Now the one two delivery, Qwan with a line shot toward the gamp in the right center on the run and missing it. His Renfro against buy him rolls to the warning track into scores. Rochio and Kwan with a double an odd route to that ball and right center by Hunter Renfro. He didn't angle back going toward the right center gap. He cuts straight across and the right fielder never had a chance and the Guardians have a five to four lead here in the tenth.
Speaker 2: So the Guardians had the lead, but as we've grown accustomed to in these extra inning games, with that base runner starting at second base in each of the innings, the visiting team likes to score more than just the one run and after an intentional walk with two outs to Carlos Santana, Kyle Manzardo, who already had a big day going, was looking for more long.
Speaker 1: Not a Sacramento State University hands at the belt, He's ready. Here it comes. Manzardo rips it down the right field line. That's abase it into the corner. Kwan will score San Tana to thirty's being waived home. He is going to score without a throw. And another huge hit off a left hander by Kyle Manzardo, a two out, two run double into the right field corner to make it a three run tenth and Cleveland with a seven to four lead. Manzarto with a triple, a homer, a double, all off left handed pitching, and four runs batted in. What a day it was for Manzardo, the third Clevelander to record four or more runs batted in on opening day. The only others Chris Speaker did it back in nineteen twenty five and Leon Wagner did it in nineteen sixty four. And also, Manzarto became the third player in Major League history to record a double, a triple, and a home run on opening day, joining only Baltimore's Don Baylor and Detroit's g Walker. Baylor did it in nineteen seventy three, Walker in nineteen thirty seven. So what a day for Mansarto and what a day for the Guardians as they come away with the win. And after the game, Manzarto talked about his big day.
Speaker 4: How many triples did you go to hit?
Speaker 5: You hid one screen training. I've been leaving extra bases on the table for too long. I'm gonna get as many as I can.
Speaker 2: What is an outing like this this season opener that some historic facts behind it? What does that do for you coming out of the game day and have a hit.
Speaker 5: The gambling was Yeah, I mean it's super, super encouraging for the team to bounce back the way we did, but also personally to you know, find some success early on.
Speaker 6: Feels great.
Speaker 3: It was the last time you had to double a triple.
Speaker 1: In a over.
Speaker 5: I did it only once in college, that's I mean college and then this this is the only only time ever.
Speaker 7: How's that feel?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's it's great. Yeah, Oh yeah, tons and tons of confidence. You know, it definitely helps me settle in a little bit early here.
Speaker 6: Okay, A lot.
Speaker 3: Of times you see young hitters come up, and especially a left handed hitter, and you're not going to face left and kind of last year that was the way for you, right, What is your approach this year is that you don't care if it's a left year, like you want to prove that you can.
Speaker 5: Yeah anyway, Yeah, I mean I've hit hit lefties my whole life. So you know, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that I'm you know, better against left handed pictures or anything, but I always hit them growing up. So you know, I'm excited, excited for this year, excited to get those opportunities a little bit more.
Speaker 7: Your first pitchure to so what are you looking for?
Speaker 5: They just changed pictures, looking looking for something hard and close. He throws really hard, good sinker. I figured he'd he'd, you know, show it to me early, try to get ahead.
Speaker 6: Jumped it.
Speaker 1: Intentional walks are part of baseball.
Speaker 6: They didn't motivate you at all.
Speaker 3: And the guy in front of you, guys walk.
Speaker 8: In the in the top of the tent.
Speaker 5: I mean it didn't like upset me or anything. I get it. But you know, maybe they'll think twice next time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think anybody whenever that happens, anybody's gonna take that a little bit personally, But I mean it's just baseball.
Speaker 3: Do you think you had a good camp?
Speaker 9: Did you just carrying that into the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, just uh, you know, building building off of the things I had, you know, worked on all through camp, and uh, you know, now I get to get to apply it when it when it counts.
Speaker 2: So it was a great day for Cleveland, opening the season with the ten innings, seven to four victory over the Royals on Thursday, and after an off day on Friday, they're back at it this afternoon with a four to ten first pitch and an airtime for Guardian swarm up of three thirty five. When we come back, we'll hear from the newest Cleveland Guardian, but he's an old Cleveland player at least in terms of where he started his major league career. We're talking about Nolan Jones, acquired from Colorado on the last weekend of spring training, and we'll talk to him about his journey when we come back after this.
Speaker 8: With Progressive Customer Service, there are lots of ways to connect with us, so you never have to miss a second of your favorite sport, because you'd much rather watch a ball go through a net one hundred and twenty four times in forty eight minutes when you don't really have to pay attention until the last two, and then somehow those two minutes will take an hour.
Speaker 1: You don't want to.
Speaker 2: Miss all that.
Speaker 8: Luckily, you can chat with Progressive on our app, online or over the phone without missing a single one of those times the ball goes through the metal circle. Progressive Castulte Insurance Company affiliate to other insurers. Not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhause back with you in Kansas City, where the Guardians are opening the season with a three game series against the Royals on the opening day. Roster Nolan Jones acquired the last week of spring training from the Colorado Rockies. The former first round draft pick of Cleveland and former top prospect of the Cleveland Indians at the time, Jones worked his way to the major leagues and made his debut in that twenty twenty two season, but after that campaign he was traded to Colorado, where he had an outstanding rookie season. In fact, finished in the Upper echelon of the Rookie of the Year voting that year in the National League fifth among the vote getters, and last year disappointing season with some back injuries. But now he's back with Cleveland a surprising trade at the end of the spring training time, as Tyler Freeman was traded to Colorado in exchange for Jones, and Jones is saying that when he got back to Goodyear and walked back into a familiar clubhouse, a lot of familiar faces made things a lot easier for him to get readjusted.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I mean, I think that the clubhouse we have here has been very accepting to me. And you know, obviously two years a long time. But at the same time, you know, teammates, teammates and friendships have gone beyond and I didn't lose contact with a lot of these guys.
Speaker 2: So I feel at home. When you look at at the last year or so, you had the great rookie season in Colorado, What have been some of the challenges that that you hope are behind you now as you get a fresh start here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I feel like I had a really good twenty twenty three and I had I had great feels at the plate. My body felt really good, and I wanted to keep that going. And so day one of the off season, that's what I did. Kept hitting, kept throwing, kept doing all these things. And I felt like I really burnt myself out. Uh, And so I think it's a it was a it was a lesson for me. And you know, obviously dealt with a lot of injuries last year and struggled, and so I think that you know, I took the opportunity, with a two month old daughter to try and get my body right through physical therapy and and learn how to be a dad. You know, two months into the season or two months left in the season, had my first daughter and was not able to spend as much time as I would have liked with her obviously on the road and everything and some rehab stints. So I really wanted to take that time to to spend some time with her and learn how to be a dad. I mean, I think, you know, that opportunity for me is what I've always dreamed of, And those first two months were really hard not being there for her, so and my fiance, so I wanted to take that time and spend it with them. And I think that it really set me up to get my body right first and then slowly build back into it. And I feel really good right now.
Speaker 2: One of the big cliches is that it puts things in perspective, and obviously when when you have a child, it certainly can do that. Aside from even the physical part, just that mental side. How did that help you just kind of keep things in a good place mentally.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Like I said, the first two months are really hard, you know, obviously not being there and there's not much feedback from the child, from my daughter. And then once the smiles started and the crawling around and the laughs and eating foods, like just seeing all those first and being there, like you said, it really does put it in perspective. And and and I mean, I'm out here doing this for her. I think that, you know, my whole life, I've dreamed of becoming a big leader. I've dreamed of being on this stage, being able to you know, I only win a World series one day, and now I have those same goals, but I'm doing it for a different purpose. I'm doing it so you know, I can show my daughter what hard work looks like and what her dad can do on the baseball field.
Speaker 2: And you come to a team with high expectations deservedly so after a year ago, how refreshing is that for you?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Like I said, my dream, my entire life has been win a World Series, and winning is fun. Winning keeps the clubhouse loose. Winning keeps smiles on people's faces. And so to get an opportunity to come over here and hopefully contribute to that is really exciting for me.
Speaker 2: Pats Nolan Jones a power back from the left side, and it will be interesting to see maybe you can put together the type of season that the Guardians are hoping for as they look to him improve their offense as they go along here in the early stages of twenty twenty five. Well, we know proven offensively. I suppose Ramirez, the perennial MVP candidate, will join us next as we continue on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Now the payoff pitch down low checked his swing. He never saw fastball, curveballs and changeups, and so Jose walks again. And it's amazing because the baseball gods would say, whatever you do in the late endings, don't want somebody to bring the tying run to the plate, but the baseball guns never faced Jose.
Speaker 2: Ramirez Welcome back to Guardian's weekly Jim Rosen House along with you from Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City. Well, Jose Ramirez has had some kind of major league career and he is still going strong looking for another MVP type season. After last year's run at triple forties, he ended up stealing forty one bases, hit thirty nine home runs, had thirty nine doubles. One of the great seasons in baseball a year ago. He's been working hard during spring training to put it together again and maintain that tremendous consistency. And he felt he had a good spring and when we caught up with him with translation help from Augi Rivero, Osei says he's ready to go for the new campaign.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 4: There's nothing particular thing. You have to work everything as a whole, you know, all side of the game. You have to work to bit what for the season.
Speaker 2: And when you look back at a year ago, You've had great seasons in the past, but this one even was a step above that. When you look back on it, what were some of the keys last year that allowed you to put up the numbers you did.
Speaker 4: No, No, in reality where knowledge it is a good season. But particularly I don't like to dwell into the numbers in the past, because you know it's peeking to the details. I just focus on the present and what we have in front of us, and for me is what is the next season is going to be for us.
Speaker 2: So when along those lines, when you look at it that way, what are you trying to do to improve on? And after a year where you did so many good things, are there still things that you're trying to get better at, whether it's hitting or defense.
Speaker 6: Okay, one of the fans.
Speaker 4: It's difficult to improve in any other area. But I like to work on everything in my difference, my offense, my running, everything incombined, because I feel that's the way how you can have a good season.
Speaker 2: Visiting with Jose Ramirez, I'll give Rivero here to help you look at team wise. Such an out standing season a year ago, you go deep into the postseason. So far, what are you saying around this clubhouse that says you can make that last step and get to the World Series.
Speaker 4: No, wheto, we lost some important pieces, but also we added some other important pises as well, but for me in reality that this never tells you how the season's gonna go. It's more about what you do end up doing doing the year and how you grind to those difficult times. That tells you how long are you're gonna go doing the season?
Speaker 2: And you're acknowledged by it by so many as the leader of this team. Uh, what do you do to pull a team together when the year begins and over the course of the season.
Speaker 6: No amento you um you look at.
Speaker 4: I don't think I do anything specific. Just they know who I am. You know my joking around you, keeping a good humor, good energy all the time, and most important that we're on the same page. They know I'd like to win. I'm here to win, So they understand we're in the same page trying to win games and that's what our main focus as a group.
Speaker 2: They have a great season. Thank you, Thank you at Jose Ramirez an established major league veteran having a potential Hall of Fame career and seems to be showing no signs of slowing down and will be a big key to the fortunes of the twenty twenty five Guardians. And on the flip side of that someone who made their first opening day roster after spending significant time in the major leagues a season ago. Utility man Daniel Schneemann can play all over the diamond and got the good news late in spring that he would be on the opening day roster, filling a vital role for this ball club, and when we caught up with him, he talked about the differences and similarities of being called to the major leagues for the first time and making your first opening day roster.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's a very similar Failing, you know, you kind of get a reassurance that a lot of the work you put in an offseason paid off. And so I knew coming into camp was going to be a battle, and you know, I try working hard and working on things that would help me, you know, earn a spot on the team, and I'm glad it worked out.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting earlier in the spring you mentioned that there was a different feeling this spring because you were trying to earn that job, maybe as opposed to last spring, where you were just trying to make an impression, and explain the differences in how you handle the day to day pressure is this.
Speaker 11: Spring, I just tried treating this spring the same as last spring in terms of playing free, playing loose, not trying to put a lot of pressure on myself, even though you know the there was a different feeling in terms of trying to make a team versus, like you said, kind of just trying to make it a good impression. But I just think I play my best when I don't put too much pressure on myself. So that's what I tried doing.
Speaker 2: And when you look back at the season agoing things that you wanted to work on, you mentioned working on some things this offseason, any specifics there that you felt you really made some gains in.
Speaker 11: I really tried working a lot on off speed while maintaining, you know, being able to do damage on fastballs.
Speaker 6: So just a lot of off speed training, a lot of time in the weight room.
Speaker 11: I tried around some weight and I just think working on and on all those things and then getting here and you know, kind of refining my approach. Working with Fink and Dan Espo and all the hitting coaches, I think they've kind of helped me put it all together.
Speaker 6: And so I'm trying to go in a season with a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: You'll play a lot of positions. Again, most likely anything you're focusing on, though defensively and at a certain spot that it feels important.
Speaker 11: I think I always feel I need to improve a shortstop just I know the areas I need to focus on, you know, keeping my feet moving and staying fluid, not getting stuck. So just trying to work on the things that I know I need to get better at, and and I think if I'm able to play get short stop, I think I think those tools will translate to everywhere on the field.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of where my focus is.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if you're good at short does does everything else kind of fall into place when you're asked to play a lot of different positions.
Speaker 6: I think it definitely helps.
Speaker 11: I still have to get a lot of work in in the outfield and other positions, but I just feel like the things I work on a short translate really well. So my main focus a lot of the times, especially if I'm playing short that day, is really you know, I'll watch Rokyo.
Speaker 6: I'll watch how he goes about.
Speaker 11: His business and and how he moves his feed and the confidence he plays with over there, and so I really just I try to take advice from him and learn from him, and and then you know, if I'm playing in a lot of position a different day, then I do the same. Well, I'm working at those positions with the guys around there.
Speaker 2: As well, Daniel Steaman joining us, And you're part of a team with high expectations. You get through spring training and what do you think by the time spring training ends as you get ready for a new season about the possibilities for this team.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think a lot of a lot of people are kind of underestimating us, and I don't think that's anything new. But I think the team is going to just try to take it one day at a time. I think we all work on the right things. We have a lot of a lot of resources that are going to help us get a lot of wins. But right now, I think our focus is on today and that's how it's going to be the rest of the season, just taking it one day at a time.
Speaker 2: Did you learn much from going through a postseason run like the team did a year ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean the experience was great learning. I don't know if there's a whole lot of learning that experience. I think it's just I think staying in the president is really important, just not trying to let the moment get too big. But I think the what you learn is if we're in that situation again, I think having that experience, I think it helps you stay more calm, stay more in the president, and just treat it like any other game.
Speaker 2: And circling back to the beginning, you found out you made the opening day roster. The way you found out, though you felt was good. How so explain how you found out and why it was a good way for you to learn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just very casual.
Speaker 11: Voter kind of pulled me off when I was walking out to the field and he let me know, and he kind of made it seem like it wasn't a big deal. And so in terms of he told me that it never gets old. He told me it's a super special thing to make it an opening day roster. But just the way he told me kind of made me feel like I belonged and made me feel like I deserve it, So in that sense, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: One of the good guys in the game Daniel Schneeman, and he is on this opening day roster this season and looking to fill that key role of in field, outfield, you name it. He can play a lot of different positions and he'll be a key certainly for Cleveland throughout the year. Stay with us when we come back our first weekly Farm report. We'll get a Columbus Clippers triple A preview when we come back after this timeout.
Speaker 7: When you bundle renters and Auto with Progressive, you can save while protecting your most valuable possessions, like your really expensive limited edition sneakers and your new suit for your cousin's wedding. Except you never actually bought the suit because you can't stop buying sneakers, so you show up to the wedding looking like you're going grocery shopping. But hey, at least your sneakers will look good in the pictures until you're cropped out of every last one of them. So go ahead and get Progressive so you can save while protecting the things that matter to you. Progressive County Insurance Company and Affiliates and other insurans not available in all stage situations.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, and we are joined now by the Vice president of Player Development, Farm Director Stephen Ostro. And Stephen, at your first full season doing this taking over for robsterfolio and we touch base a little bit in the off season, but you've gone through spring training, teams are just about ready to get going. And how exciting is this for you to see a lot of the hard work in the off season start to go into season mode.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hey, Rosie, thanks for having me on the I mean, and the spring training is always really exciting. Going into the season is even more exciting getting to see, you know, some of the hard work payoff and guys transition into the actual competitive modes. So yeah, we had a lot of cool story and storylines with the players over the spring. Really excited to kind of see our affiliates battle this year.
Speaker 2: And let's start with Columbus and we'll get to some younger prospects in a moment. But Andy Tracy is back there as the manager, and there are several players who I'm sure heading into spring training thought they would be with the big club, and names like a Will Brennan and on Hell Martinez among others. What has he done to create an atmosphere there to help players like that who are dealing with some maybe disappointment in their careers but still very bright futures. How is he good at handling them?
Speaker 9: Triple A is a very difficult level. It's a difficult level for the players for the manager. Andy Tracy has been through it himself as a player, so you know, he understands how difficult it is to be on that side of the game. And I think the environments are The environment that he's trying to create for everyone is to be positive and think about the day to day and the development and trying to keep yourself ready to go at a moment's notice. So you know, we're really lucky to have Andy Tracy manage that level. It's probably the hardest, hardest job in player development, and he's done a really good job for us the last few years getting guys ready and making sure that he also recognizes how difficult it is for them and supports the players.
Speaker 2: Certainly great to have him back in Columbus. And we'll start on the mound and then we saw this guy a left hand or Doug Nacasey during Major League spring training was tremendous. What are you seeing from him, especially as someone who has been in that pitching development part of it for a long time. So maybe next steps that he needs to take to take that last step and get to the big leagues.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Doug certainly is fun to watch. Over the course of his time with us with the Guardians, he's spent a lot of effort and focus, you know, preparing and getting his body in a good position to go out and compete so that he can be as consistent as possible in the mound. Doug has had very good stuff for a while. I think just continuing to pound the zone and figure out how he can attack hitters more consistently has been a big focus, and he's taken a lot of strides over the last few years to do that. He had an incredible spring and showcase that. I think it's just continuing to refine that and have the mindset that he needs to have that one he's good enough to be up there, and then two be able to consistently attack hitters with this good stuff.
Speaker 2: And how about Parker Massik, what are you seeing from him as he tries to see if he can dominate at that triple A level as he's done at some lower levels.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he had a tremendous year last year. I think he spent around sixty six innings in Double A and in that time, he was probably one of the top performers across all of Double A, and Parker's got phenomenal stuff. He's got a plus change up that he can rely on all the time, and I think over the course of last year he really dialed in his command, his ability to execute and own his arsenal. We saw that again this spring. There's been at some physical development. He's throwing harder, so seeing him at the Triple A level is very exciting for us and hoping that he continues to learn what it's like to face better hitters and adapt to it.
Speaker 2: A couple of guys who we were hoping to see more of in major league camp but had some injury issues. Franco Alaman, how's he doing and what are you seeing from him in terms of a return to pitching in game action.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And another guy who had a really good year in DOUBLEA last year was the forty man ad Over the offseason. Is struggling a little bit with health in the past, and it was a little bit delayed in his progression this year into spring, so he's a tick behind. Building up in bullpens. Looks really good. Everything has been positive there. Excited to see him get back to full tilt and throwing upper nineties and striking a lot of guys out.
Speaker 2: And how about Nick Enright, what's he going through and what are you hoping to see from him?
Speaker 9: Yeah, another forty man ad we talked about was exciting heading into the season. Similarly, has been building up in spring training, has progressed to full and ten.
Speaker 2: Getting on the mound.
Speaker 9: When he's healthy, he's dominant, pounds his own, throws a lot of strikes. His velocity jumped up a little bit last year too, So I think when he's full tilled, he's we're hoping that he can impact the big league team this year.
Speaker 2: Let's switch to the position player side at Triple A Columbus with farm director Stephen Osterer and behind the plate. Obviously, catching is you've got to have that depth at the Triple A level. And we saw Cody Huff during the major league portion of spring training. What stood out to you that has him on the brink.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Cody's a great catcher. He really understands the defensive side of the game, what it means to lead a pitching staff, how to prepare, and I think his exposure to all the great catchers and former catchers of the big league level. This camp kind of highlighted a lot of the things that he could do to just take his strength and make it elite. Last year is another really good year a Double A and doing those things and leading our staff excited to see him continue to do that at a higher level. There's some permits with the bat that he's been making over the offseason. Look pretty good the spring with the hitting. So yeah, Cody's one of those guys that all the pitchers want to throw to and you know, really excited to see him kind of lead the staff in Triple A.
Speaker 2: And you have a young outfielder trying to make that jump to the Triple A level and pd Halpin and what are you saying from him and what benefits did he gain from from being in big league camp as long as he was.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Similarly, I think with any of these guys when they get to you know, hang around the major league staff and the major league players, they learn a little bit more about themselves. You know, Pete talked a little bit about that when we talked about his experiences, and you know, Triple A will be a nice little jump for him. He's obviously a really good defender, has a little bit of speed, and we're hoping that he can take another step on the base running side so that, you know, we could look up and have a really good center fielder who can steal some bags and potentially be, you know, impacting the major league team this year on that front. He's got some time to go and some bats to collect to continue to push the hitting tool. But Pete's a really hard worker and understands, you know, what he needs to do. So we're excited to see how that goes this year.
Speaker 2: And with your background on the pitching side, that triple A level pitching coach is so important because the impact they can make is real, and we see that when when pitchers get to the major league level and you have two there Cody Bokel and then Brandon Lee new to the organization, that combo tell us about them and what they can do to help the pitching staff down there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we are very lucky to have both of those guys, and they've got strong complementary skill sets. Cody is been with the organization for I think seven years at this point, has been a leader in the pitching department, really understands the tactical side and you know the assessment side of the pitching, and it can relate to players very well. Brandon League, you know all of his experiences at the big league level, I think it was eleven years, was an All Star. You know, Closer understands the mentality and it has done a tremendous job in a short period of time getting to know the players and having an impact. There's the two of them combined this year TRIPLEA. We think they're going to be a weapon as a unit and can help each other in our players.
Speaker 2: That is Stephen Osterer, the vice president of player Development for The Guardian's first year in that job. And how about and we mentioned this when we talked to him in the winter time when he was named vice president of player Development. The list of farm directors in Cleveland history is really impressive. Mark Shapiro, John Farrell, Ross Atkins now a GM with the Blue Jays, Neil Huntington, a former GM with the Pirates, and most recently James Harris, who is an assistant GM now with Cleveland. I know I'm forgetting some along the way, but Rob Serfolio was the person that Steve replaced in Rob's now with the Saint Louis Cardinals in an executive role in their front office. So a lot of good stuff coming the way of Stephen Oster, and we'll look forward to a lot of his updates on the farm system throughout the season. That's going to do it for our show this week, don't forget. You can hear us every week on the radio on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network on the flagship WTAM and Cleveland seven Am on Saturday mornings. Also wm AN and Mansfield and WMRN in Marion same time eleven o'clock Saturdays on WKBN in Youngstown, and of course whenever you like as a podcast wherever you like to download your favorite podcast after the show airs on the radio. So a lot of different ways to hear our show, and we appreciate it when you do. Until next week, we'll join you from Anaheim, California, as this three city season opening road swing continues for the Guardians against the Angels next weekend with a stop at San Diego in between. As always, would like to thank our good buddy Brian Matse back at Command Center for putting together our shows each and every week and until next weekend when we join you from southern California. This is Jim Rosenhouse reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance