Speaker 1: Ah, sweet Jesus and all the baby orphans, can we please have some fucking rain, rain, rain, rain.
Speaker 2: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's rain. Everything's yellow out there. Basically everything is that. It's dead, dead bits with the soil underneath, and that's it. All the trees are dying.
Speaker 2: It's something that even let's think that reform HQ, they're all going mist The climate's changed a bit. Who said that? Who said the climates changing? Well, I did this. It's like it's hotter than it used to be, right, send him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we should have discussed this at some point in the last maybe twenty five years or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's be perfectly honest. The writing has been on the wall that this is happening. I mean, we don't need to Let's be perfectly honest. Hang every minor as in oh not er no er r from ages that we don't need to go and actually kill all the miners because of the sins of their past. But yeah, the climate has changed, and it's clearly obvious that it has. And anyone who works on the land could have been telling you this for the last five or six years. Is that you started to see these weird weather patterns and weird reactions of nature to what's going on around here. I mean, you know, like, oh, isn't the blackthorn early? Isn't the blackthorn early?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: The blackthorn is repeatedly early, and it's it's it's just obvious what's been going on.
Speaker 1: Stuff's getting very very strange, and people have this sort of positive spin on things. We're saying, well, you know, the vineyards of the Peak district are going to do very well, and you can grow sweet chestnuts in Northway now not if it doesn't fucking rain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could get a good tan on Irish white skinned legs.
Speaker 1: So you know, Yeah, what Calum and I were together with I'm just talking over you and there Calum and I were together with Amy on. I think we measured the tarmac temperature as about forty seven degrees on Friday in a completely airless, no moving air, heat reflecting off every metal surface car park in Skelmersdale, which is where it told to be paid me to be there.
Speaker 2: That sounds very silly to be paid to be in Skelmersdale car park, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: At one point I put my knee on the floor and I burnt my knee. I was trying to get a shot from a low angle and I actually burnt my knee and I was like, this shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Happen here now, Yeah, no, not in Skelmersdale. Always been hot in Skelmersdale.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like I put my knee on like black freshly laid tarmac or something. It was like gray, dusty gravel and it still burnt my knee.
Speaker 1: So yeah, mad I was there to fly drones and it's at one point I just put the drone hovering above my head and use it as sort of a way of cooling down.
Speaker 3: What is by drone? I have to say.
Speaker 2: Harvest is in full swing here in Sunny Suffering, and it's the reports thus far is that the oil seed rape is coming in and itat's looking quite good because I'm not entirely sure how farmers seem to have universally got around the stem flea beetle and not being allowed to use neo nickeotinoids. But from a crop that was sort of more or less written off about three or four years ago, it's now they've managed to grow it effectively and well done them, And I'm told it's okay beans. Bad news is that they are about the size of peas, and so they'll be making a loss again. And barley, I mean hell, that was starting to come in about three weeks ago, and wheat is ready to go as well. But really bizarrely is I did some of my very amateurish wheat testing by doing the sort of test between your teeth.
Speaker 1: And this podcast that amateurish announcement.
Speaker 2: It's basically is it's the prodcast for amateurs, and so I did that sort of you know, grip test between your teeth, and I nearly lost the bloody mola because it's that that grow hard and desiccated already. So for the least, the dentists are in business exactly. The dentists are coming out well from it. And also all those know nothings who seem to think that round up is somehow akin to the Satan's own spawn. No one's having to spray anything off because the sun has done it all. So it's as desiccated as hell. I've heard eight tons a hectare on some wheak around here, which is pretty good, but it's very dry. So therefore they're having the guys are having to work extremely early in the morning when there's a bit of moisture about, and it's it's quite bizarre because at the moment I am working on a project to try and bring thatching straw back to the rotations in our farm cluster. And I have you and you put something off for absolutely ages ages away. This age of harvest is until co ages away. It's now what we on July the fourteenth, and some people are the third of the way through harvest and I'm thinking, shit, I haven't actually even sorted out yet. This rather obscure. Maris Widgeon, that's the name of the sea that we've got to get.
Speaker 1: There is that's a BBC Radio Suffolk presenter.
Speaker 2: Surely, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A very good idea.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's the sort of thing Maris Wigeon does.
Speaker 4: That's what I write all my complaint letters.
Speaker 1: Put that in the book. Put that in the other book.
Speaker 2: Yours, sincerely, Maris Wigeon.
Speaker 4: I'll keep writing into Shooting Times asking where Richard nigis is. He was my best best writer ever. Love Maaris Wigeon.
Speaker 3: I don't like that one, well.
Speaker 2: Baris ma Marris, Maris Wigeon, that's what we're after there is only thirty tons of seed available from harvest twenty twenty six, and we've managed to ring fence five tons of that for our usage. You imagine having only having thirty tons of this stuff in the whole country that we can use, and so we have ring fenced five tons of that to go into the high suffolk, plus that thatching straw we're going to go and save the planet project.
Speaker 1: Very comendable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's quite a lot of because seeds and things trade in a specific way. Quite a lot of people that, especially in America, that were farmers or got into farmers, end up in finance because they spend their whole life like trading wheat and commodities, pricing and looking at forecasting, and eventually they're like, yeah, I could farm this, or I could just trade the stuff that I'm trading already and do it times one thousand and make lots of money. Apparently, like the American Farm Conferences is a bit like going to Bloomberg or something. It becomes so entrenched in finance it's mad well not.
Speaker 1: A million miles away from that. And this is another bit of Richard Nigas journalism. In the Scribe Hound Writers chatterday, there was a discussion about pigeons, and I want to tribute what to whom, But it was about, you know, someone posting on Instagram or somewhere that they'd shot eight hundred pigeons or something like that. Wasn't there some ridiculous number of pigeons and is that the right thing to be putting on social media? And you made the calculation it was, you know, so many, that was only so many kilos of seed that they've taken.
Speaker 2: Me kill eight hundred pigeons will have consumed forty kilograms of wheat. So you know, we always say, is we're shooting pigeons as a pest. Now, most definitely you are if you're shooting them over young emerging ps or oil seed rape when that's coming up, you know, it comes to second leaf stage and they come in and mallet that it doesn't grow back again. They are a serious agricultural pest. But if you're shooting them right now and you shoot eight hundred and they are basically consuming combinable wheat. I looked at what the average average pigeon crop can take and if you shot eight hundred, they would only have forty kilos of wheat inside their crop combined, which comes to about two pounds eighty three at current wheat prices.
Speaker 1: So given current cartridge prices EI pigeon select cartridge, I think yeah, exactly, it's a bit more. I think it's it's like thirty, isn't it thirteen or fourteen quid for twenty five. Yeah, unless you're buying a slab, you'd be better off just going into the field pointing at eight hundred pigeons and then digging out a fiver from your wallet, Yeah, and handing it over to the farmer. It would both being profit exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't know what a pigeon breast retail's at, but I mean there's there's no doubt about it. The pigeon is an agricultural pest and it annoyed the wick off me when those people from Wild Justice started messing around with the license.
Speaker 1: Don't started on that in Wales. We lost a lot.
Speaker 2: You did, agreed and it and one would argue that the thing that they really did by fiddling around with it, and do you know in a way they're right, is that just treating various species as sporting targets. There is a there is an argument saying did you need to shoot that now? But from their meddling, they most definitely was. And the GWCT did some research which sadly really didn't get any of the recognition that it should have done. Was there was a demonstrable decline in that year in wild broods of pheasants and gray partridges, Curtis of the number of corvids that are around courtesy of their shenanigans, and do you know what, it was noticeable that a fairly honest broker. I know he he isn't everyone's mate, but Mark Avery dipped out of well justice by that point because I think he's got a very big be in his bonnet about driven grouse shooting. But I think on the whole he is actually an honest broker, and he dipped out of that now, whether that was due to his slightly poor health or whether it's because he went, do you know what, just winning this battle is not necessarily doing anything for his war effort. No.
Speaker 1: I asked Yolo Williams about this the one time I met him, although it was in my mustache owning period about a year and a half ago. So the one photo of me stood next to is and wearing very short shorts, a very short T shirt and I've got a mustache and look like I've just jumped out of the bushes that are on a.
Speaker 2: Heath or you're a seller scout, Yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly that. Yes, it's the Rhodesian. Yeah, yeah. I asked him about this and he said, well, you know, for the general licenses, you have to follow the science, and the science says that the numbers of magpies were declining. But as we've spoken about several times on here before, that's complete bollocks because there's not a huge army of ecologists out there whose sole job is to record the bird numbers. It's things are recorded through your local ecological record keeping, and that still relies on people being asked to actually record stuff. So the more common things are, the less likely they are to record it. So then, yeah, the common things will decline under that methodology, just in terms of sheer numbers, unless you're counting everything, and no one is.
Speaker 2: Yes, quite so anyway, cheers, cheers, cheers for a hot day.
Speaker 4: Cheers.
Speaker 1: Yes, so other podcasts in our sector, they do what are you drinking? So I think guns on pegs do that? I mean, what do you What are you drinking there, Richard?
Speaker 2: I am drinking the Premiere crew Asphol Cider, A good drink.
Speaker 1: For How are you there, young Callen?
Speaker 4: I can't afford real bs. I'm drinking Banditos from Audi Despasitos and.
Speaker 1: Later I might live on Desperadoes.
Speaker 4: Eighteen fifty seven, cronin Iceberg. I love an Audi special Me love they do like all that stuff, don't They?
Speaker 2: On guns on pegs asking what people are drinking? What color are your garters?
Speaker 1: I think they should be applauded in how open they are talking about subjects, given how closeted the British countryside can be at times. Yes, and it's very difficult to open up. I mean, let's just just check in with guns on pegs and see what they're saying. Now portable, pop it in the car, take it up the shoot, have a few sausages after a workday. Bloody fantastic. I mean, that's it's quite brave to come out with that kind of thing, mainstream podcast, Isn't it? Really?
Speaker 2: Is that good for young people to be encouraged to take it up the shoot?
Speaker 1: I mean with willing participants of a valid age and everyone's able to give consent in a correct way and everything's done safely and don't scare the horses. I suppose it's okay.
Speaker 4: For a while, I support support Avian in his LGT HGTV plus Sky TV endeavor fantastic. You know, I'm sorry for it.
Speaker 1: I mean they're going to bought him with a prop. Are you going to hold his coat for him?
Speaker 2: I think they call me an ally. It's not for me. I'm an ally that on Pegg's ally.
Speaker 4: That's why I am on on Blue Sky.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Perhaps you know, we were discussing what T shirts we should have, and perhaps we should have Country Slide Guns on Pegs. Ally, take it up the shute. It's a nice side, it's a nice.
Speaker 4: Just I think just take it up the Shute be a great T shirt.
Speaker 1: Just off of one. I'll just send it to Avian. If you listen to the rest of that Guns on Pegs episode, it is very homo erotic. They talk about sort of leather based fire flappers that you can get used for other purposes, and yeah, there's there's all sorts of things in there.
Speaker 2: Well, I went on there once and they made me have some pink glasses.
Speaker 3: Afterwards, I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Know, people keep saying that the countryside is a race and be not diverse. Well, I mean Avian's Cornish. Yeah, so I mean that's that's an ethnic minority, is.
Speaker 1: An ethnic minority, and.
Speaker 2: Clearly there's diversity as you've just portrayed there with that shortcut Richard.
Speaker 1: So yeah it is. And I found gay racists in the countryside quite often.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, nothing wrong, for some of my best friends are gay racist.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Nothing anyway enough talking about it. I've heard some.
Speaker 4: The countryside is full of the most diverse people ever, and not specifically ethnicity. I will say that's slightly skewed to the to the general.
Speaker 1: British, but the kind.
Speaker 4: Of the people you get on shoot days, you've got proper local types. You go up to like a Norfolk a Norfolk shoot day, and you listen to the people that are in the beating line up. You'll have you have people that are like some shoots, you'll have people that are heart surgeons at the one of the best hospitals in the world. And then you'll have someone that you think I wouldn't possibly trust you to look after my cat, like for if I went away for the weekend, like, I'm not sure how you got dressed this morning. So you've got the you've got the shotgun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did you?
Speaker 4: I know why you're in the beating team and not with a gun, because.
Speaker 2: Is no word of a life, you know, on a you know, before you have a day, you go and have a sweepsteak on the numbers of birds are going to be shot and the numbers of cartridges which will be expended on that. I went on a day once where all the guns and all the beaters are all in the same sort of shed. A barn would be to give it too much sort of credibility, in credence before we said, and there were three x's, right, which were put in where you put your name, so they'd sort of put numbers, and they'd put an x, a scribble which could have been thirty one, could have been eight hundred and forty two, and then another scribble for cartridges expended, and you think you actually can't write, can you? And these you look at these old boys and you think, well, you know they've got quite a good farward business, or they're very good agricultural contractors. But you just know that they left school probably at fourteen at the request of the head master, and they paid no attention from the probably about the age of ten. But if you speak to them about I don't know what the linits, they will give you an expert opinion on that. But you ask them to go and write down how many shots, how many cartridges you think might have been expended, and how many birds are going to be shot, they can't write the numbers and their own name is basically a squiggle. It's quite fascinating.
Speaker 4: Really, that's quite extreme to be that illiterate, even like pick up quite basic stuff. But yeah, that does exist. It's quite mad that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could probably find you ten people in the local area who are can point to and go, yeah, I think they're at that level. Yeah, because particularly if it was if it wasn't just right down for the sweepstake, it was apply to the Welsh government for this ground, or apply for this thing, or fill in this form to make sure that you don't get fined because you've done a prior notification of storage of waste or something like that. You know, they're just that whole world that they have to work with it in order to say legal just doesn't exist for them now because of it, there are organizations. So we're here in Wales, we've got farming connect and you can go to them and basically say, I want to do this, but I have no idea how to get this ground. I have no idea what's available for me. And they'll tell you. You'll tell you, you know, these are the things you can apply for. They'll help you find funded training for chainsaw tickets and stuff like that. So there is some help out there, but there are there are quite a few people still there like that. And as you say they are, they have so much knowledge about things that have just gone by, and I will mourn their passing a little bit because they're just they were a feature of the countryside that just won't be there.
Speaker 2: I think utterly they are a feature of the countryside and probably they would be now diagnosed with dyspraxia or dyslexia or those things. They would just consider me. I'm fifty five and I know that kids in my era who were slow were put in the remedial class where they basically were given bits of last the scene and was saying, you know, if you go you're you're going to be fit for nothing.
Speaker 3: And say.
Speaker 2: The one thing I find about a lot of these old boys is that they truly.
Speaker 3: Struggle to write their name.
Speaker 2: But if you actually engage with them, there is a level of reticence which I think you find quite frequently in.
Speaker 3: Rural working class people.
Speaker 2: If you've got an accent like mine, they think is he one of them? In one of us? Is he easy? Is he one of them? But you go and chat them very quickly or discover gosh, they are the absolute doi ends of society, and they're probably the person who is the captain of the bell ringers and is also the one and only person who can tell you exactly where you're going to go and find a hazel dorm ouse. So yeah, I say, long long live them, but sadly they disappearing fast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, asked the fellow as w cut the hay. That's something that's come up very very recently for upland management. Hello everybody, Richard Prideau here. Yes, that's right, the one in Wales, not the one who messes around with hedges, although I have been known to fondle a hedge or two. This is well, this is an insert. This is Richard from the future. Really just telling you what's happening with a few things that forgot to put in this episode. I'm a bit crap. The game fair bingo card that is ready to go pretty much. We've just got one more thing to work out. But they will be available to purchase online from nine am on Saturday morning, So that's this coming Saturday, which I believe is the eighteenth of July. At nine am, they will be live and ready to purchase. And the way it works is that you go to well the link in the bottom of the episode notes for this, or you go to store dot Sidecountry dot co dot uk. There you'll see it available as a product. Now it will only cost one pound because basically you're downloading an A four PDF to print off yourself. But there'll be three options. You can choose option one, two or three and you'll get the bingo card appropriate for that number. And on there you'll find all sorts of things that you can then tick off and see at the game fare and the winner gets well, the winner gets to know that they've won, and that's it. But I want you to tag us on social media, tag Country Slide on Instagram or Twitter or x whatever we're calling it. This week and we'll see who you've seen there. So if you want to take a photo of a wolf on a fleecy jumper, or a dog in a pram or a pith helmet or an inappropriate kilt, then you can do so. Just try not to get yourselves in trouble. We want to see your photos if you can. And all of the profits from this, because there's a little bit of a card processing fee. It's not much, it's a couple of pens, but it knocks it off every amount. All of the profits from this go to the GWCT, so they'll get we'll pay them the money afterwards, so they get the money. So it's all a bit of fun. It's all very very silly, but they get the money. The other thing is that we finally have T shirts. They will also be available to buy. If you go to the link in the show notes, you can go and buy your T shirts. Now, these are a bit of a test. We are working out whether this is going to work, whether these designs work, whether we've got the placement on the shirt correct, the printing, all of these little things. So the way we've set it up is that we are selling them at what it costs us. So we're going via a thing called t Mill which allows us to just upload the designs and then they print your T shirt when you order, and they send your T shirt to you. We are listing them up until the game there at cost price. So whatever the price that's listed on there, that is we're not making any money from out that's all going to that company, but you get them at the cheapest price. We can possibly make it so that you can you can buy it, you can test it, you can see whether it works. We want your feedback. We want your feedback of could this logo be a bit smaller, could it go a bit lower, go a bit higher for the ladies? Maybe Well, I don't know whether you want dirty dunnucks pressed all the way across your lady lumps and exactly where you want them, But well you can give the feedback because I have no idea. But there will be female specific sizes. There's a few different options in there. So we've tried to make everything as clear as possible and that's why it's taken a little while to set up. Please go to the links in the show notes. That's the little bit of description you get with a podcast and at nine am or Saturday morning to buy all of these shiny, lovely things. Right anyway, back to the pod. Well, as I look out of the window, we're about to have a fantastic sunset because the air is absolutely full of smoke particles. These are actually from the Peak District wildfires. Because our local wildfires here in Wales, they're all being blown out towards islands. They're getting our smoke and we're getting smoke from Oldham, so it's blowing all the way over here. Oh yeah, it was. It was a very very hazy day for most of the day and you can smell. You can smell burning heather and burning burning wood out and outside. I've got friends in Canada who talk about this, you know. So, oh you smell the smoke from these wildfires hundreds of miles away and you go, yeah, yeah, right, but bloody hell you can.
Speaker 2: Do you think that? I mean, it's clearly that the wildfire thing is the whole playbook that the Moorland groups and whatnot have been saying, this is an accident waiting to happen.
Speaker 3: Has now happened.
Speaker 2: Do you think that their warnings went unheeded because a they were slightly aggressive in some of their tactics earlier on. Or is it be just because people would rather almost see people fry other than admit that grousemore owners and those who managed grousemores were correct.
Speaker 1: I've got slightly different take on it here in Wales, but this kind of okay, this actually illustrates the points I think. So we have one grouse moore here in Wales, one active grouse moore and that's right on the Welsh border near Rexham, tiny little place kept very well. It's where you find black grouse as well. So we've got that. To the rest of it. We've got lots of abandoned grousemores which are now just sheep grazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah you showed me something, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Wanted to see them basically covered in bracken, bracken and dead heather from the flea beetle that's gone through. And you will just think about that bit we drove that high road where we met that mad old man with the model gliders. Yes, that bit. Now, given how dry it is, if you just went up there with a match, you could probably get the whole hillside going in five minutes. So we don't have grouse small. So the grousemoll management argument doesn't exist in Wales really and as such the Maland Association doesn't, you know, because it's not relevant here. National Gamekeepers Organization, who have a huge input into this bask all these other places don't really have a voice when it comes to upland management because although there are shoots up on uplands in Wales, they're not grouse shoots and they're not managed for that. They're just sort of pheasant pens at the edge of a mountain. So it's Natural Resources Whales and the NFU and Farmers Union for Whales. They're they're sort of the ones that talk, and then you've got the fire services. Well, land management doesn't really come into it as much as you would think with that, so the argument here is about they just say, oh, just re wet or let trees grow, and that's about it. The National Resources Whales really restricted burning. So I think where we're at now is you can only burn from November the one March the fifteenth, and if you do it a day outside of that, you in Nakazya farm payments. So what a lot of places do they mow and they use robot flail mowers and things to mow up and down. But what this does is leaves a lot of woody debris behind as well, so there's virtually no burning happens here now. And what's just happened on Conway Mountain, which is where Gareth Wyne Jones previously mentioned on this podcast. He where he farms, and two hundred acres went up this weekend, but it stopped at places where there was a change of vegetation, so where there was a dry stone wall and that there was sort of grazing one side and not the other, or a track, a very well used track and footway in between two zones. It stopped dead there so it didn't jump over. And already that's being used to say, okay, so that's why you should have fire breaks, that's why you should have areas cut through and things like that. In England. I do think that the Morder Association of people that did say things a lot, They said a lot of stuff that probably natural England probably fought back against. They said, well, if you're saying that will do the exact opposite then and it was only when maybe the National Trust and those kind of landowners actually said no, we're really concerned about wildfire and arbits as well. Can we start managing it like a grouse moore, just without the fox shooting. So when Natural and England sort of relented, but I don't I don't think it was just a case they've got the wrong message. I think it was that Natural England and don't particularly care what happens on the uplands beyond what they can measure in terms of is this peat and we know the peat map that they have is wrong. They do like, well, we're just going to try and rewt this and put leaky damse in and stuff like that. That'll all fix everything, without actually going to check it on the ground, and without accounting for as we discussed at the beginning of the show, the factor doesn't bloody rain anymore. Yeah, quiet in the summer. I think that's the biggest problem is Natural England aren't paying attention to the effects of what they've done more than you know, the messaging from the organizations. I don't know, because it's not something that ever really comes across in stuff is that you don't have unless you have a combat. That's about it.
Speaker 2: Oh funny enough, that was it Literally the first guy, so went on the on the farm WhatsApp group went I'm going to start the barley today and went, well you're brave and early, and hey, presto, massive fire went up just because.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing I find wholly oxymoronic.
Speaker 2: I went down to a I was invited to a meeting down at the headquarters of the GWCT down in the New Forest, and I thought, I'm going to have a drive round because I've not been down to the New Forest since I was a child. And I thought, well, I'm going to have a bit of a bimbal round.
Speaker 3: And I was driving along some.
Speaker 5: Little open road through the New Forest, and all of a sudden my view was obscured by a mass of smoke.
Speaker 2: And they are burning the new Forest, because that's how they managed there, exactly the same way as in the uplands. They manage the ingress of scrub by burning, and they are legally allowed to do so between the first of November and the thirty first of Arch. Quite understand, the same principle as you would have in the uplands is you don't want to go and disturb that's.
Speaker 4: Quite It's quite wet at that point, though, Is that not really hard to burn.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing that they do the same exactly the same with the uplands, is that they're not burning at a time. I mean, you think about it, you are burning heather because it's a natural process. It's something we've been doing.
Speaker 3: Is the earliest.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've actually.
Speaker 3: Proven that this is not just old, this is proper old.
Speaker 4: They reckon that carbon dated it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I mean that the oldest thousand, the oldest known use of fire by man for heating from Suffolk and it was Neanderthal human beings doing it, and it was my great grandfather.
Speaker 3: Yes, the.
Speaker 2: Negus spelled ng, which I know is a bit dodgy on the old name in front, but it's something which we have done for such a long time.
Speaker 3: It's quite literally a trace memory of humans.
Speaker 2: It's how we cleared the forest, is how we we opened up places of scrub so that we could put our cattle on and graze it there. But if they're allowed to do it in the new forest and in the new forest, apparently they're quite happy with that because that is done by Forestry England and the verderers of the new forest, and the verderers and the New Forest, although their history goes back that they were basically the deer hunters of the.
Speaker 3: New Forest when it was a deer park.
Speaker 2: That's acceptable because they're doing it, and apparently that carbon is okay that they're releasing there from doing that. But the moment you happen to be a bloke in the uplands and you're doing it for the purposes of exactly the same thing as what the verderers and Forestry England are doing down in the New Forest, it suddenly turns into the worst thing ever. And but it is just something that I think is that possibly this is something that's coming to buy us and I use us in inverted commas in the ars is. We've been so vociferous about saying, you stupid bloody towny tony Juniper, you've got no idea what you're talking about. If we had actually slightly had been like the verderers of the New Forest and said this is our historic way of managing the more, we might have got away with it. But as it turns out, you in North Wales and of smelling smuts of wildfires under your nose, because the likes of Juniper's gang of incompetence have allowed this to happen.
Speaker 1: So have you ever read any of the stuff about wildfire in North America? How they managed that?
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not about Suffolk. I don't read anything.
Speaker 4: But the ones in like California and stuff are crazy, aren't they?
Speaker 1: They are? And there's there's a very interesting history with the US Forest Service. So and we can learn a lot of that from here, about a lot of from that. For here was a good book on this by a guy called Philip Connors, I think, and it's called Fire Season and it's he is one of these guys that used to do seasonal fire lookout work one of these big towers. Yeah, and you'd live in this tower and this little cabin next to it, and you just spend all of your time up there, and your whole job in the summer was to spot fires in the distance and get a range and a bearing from it on that fire. And then you caught radio another tower and see if they can see it, and they get a range on it, and you triangulate the position based on that. Really interesting system. But they in they talks about the change from what was there in the middle of the twentieth century, which was complete suppression of every single fire. Always put a fire output. You know, work really hard to any forest fire, any grassland fire of any type, put it out the moment, spot a huge effort to put it out. No fires should exist. And what they learned from that was what you do is you build up a lot of woody debris and a lot of fire load that then when you do get a fire that you can't get to in time, or it does get there before and or you just can't fight it, it will take everything because there's so much fuel there. You just generate so much heat that it'll be a completely devastating wildfire rather than the smaller wildfire which can be recovered from in the year or so. So they changed it to okay, now we assess the fire and see, should we just let this fire burn? Is it just going to take away all this vegetation or this dead vegetation we don't need anymore, and actually reduces the fire risk by having lots of little fires rather than one big fire. And that's sort of where we are now in the UK, that we don't have fire as part of our management process anymore. And what that's done is meant that when a fire does hit, it probably rips through. There's a couple of tools for our listeners to go and have a look at. National Gamekeepers Organization have the MALL and Wildfire Danger Index and they've got this map and keepers and land managers put on there. They do an assessment about how much you know, what risk therough is of wildfire and it's about as bad as it can get at the moment. Everything's in extreme risk purple, so that's quite interesting. If you've got a house on the edge of a Morland then yeah, you can go and see how much danger you're in. There's also this thing the thirty thirty thirty rule, which is if the weather and the temperatures are over thirty degrees, the relative humidity is below thirty percent, and the wind is over thirty kilometers an hour, then that's apocalyptic wildfire scenario because you'll get very dry vegetation, all the volatile oils in the vegetation is already starting to evaporate in those temperatures as well, and then the wind will drive it quicker than you can draft. Then you can fight it. And those are the conditions. When there was a couple of years ago there was a wildfire fighting team in the US, I think it was in Utah, got overtaken by fire, basically gone into the wrong place. They couldn't get out of the gully they were in, and the fire overtook them and burnt them all to death in this one gully. There's a film about it with Josh Brolin. You can go and lock up. It's not a cheerful film.
Speaker 3: One for the.
Speaker 2: Family on a Sunday afternoon when you're fed up with our antiques roadshows.
Speaker 1: Don't watch that, kids, wildfire scary.
Speaker 2: I have to say I know a few Upland keepers and their relationship with fire is that they they laugh because a friend of mine he sends me when they're actually mirror burning up there. He sends me photographs and moving film and I go, no, you're going to die. And they know what they're doing. But they're also hugely respectful of it. Now, I would just like to move this on slightly because being respectful of fire. I made a comment before we start recording Country Slide, I happen to say, callum, have you had your hair cut?
Speaker 3: And now Richard's given us some really hot.
Speaker 1: Facts on.
Speaker 2: Loading of burnable material. Calum, have you had your haircut off? Something else happened to it?
Speaker 4: Well, I had to have. I had a forced haircut.
Speaker 2: Due to.
Speaker 4: So I have recently purchased a pizza oven.
Speaker 1: And remember listeners when we said he was addicted to buying kitchen gadgets last week, And.
Speaker 4: In this pizza raven, at some point I filled the entirety of the pizza raven.
Speaker 3: With gas.
Speaker 4: Whatever the whatever the one is, so filling the oven with gas and then slightly opening the oven door and then pressing the ignition, so that caused a bush of flames to come out of said pizza oven and directly into my face, which I held my arm up to defend my beauty from from fire. And I burned all of my a lot, quite a lot of my beard off, quite a lot of my eyebrows, I'd say fifty percent of my eyelashes, which I think was the biggest shame, and most of my fringe.
Speaker 3: So to say, are very essex now they are.
Speaker 2: They are longer, so they are not her suit.
Speaker 5: Are they?
Speaker 1: They were improved?
Speaker 2: Well, But the haircut I had to google it because I couldn't remember it, because you know, I was born in nineteen seventy one, So seventies glam rock is a vague memory. But it is only a vague memory. But I had to google it and I put in weird bloke band seventies hair and it came up immediately. Because Google's bullying.
Speaker 1: That's got a broad result.
Speaker 2: Dave Hill, the English musician from Slade. So for those of you old enough to remember Dave Hill from Slade, that is now how Callum's hair looks. And for those of you who aren't old enough to remember what Dave Hill from Slade looks like, just google Dave Hill, Slade, nineteen seventies and you will now see our beloved Callum looks like I sound more like gay icon Mark Armond at present.
Speaker 3: I think that's going for.
Speaker 1: And if you want to mentally recreate what it looked like in Callum's backguarden when this happened, I just want you to picture a Japanese soldier in one of those commando comics from the eighties being flame throwed by a US marine.
Speaker 4: Going.
Speaker 3: Four eyes seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is bigger.
Speaker 4: Someone's gonna go on chat GPT today, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Though?
Speaker 3: Because of the transformation you've undergone and knowing the county which you're from, and they will jump there onto any skincare regime or fashion notion.
Speaker 2: You may have landed finally on something where you are going to make it rich callum after stickhead in my oven.
Speaker 4: I don't know how women wear them fake eyelashes, because every time I blink it feels like I've got a new set of eyes. It's like I'm conscious of every blink because just not having eyelashes anymore is pretty rough. It's really weird feeling.
Speaker 3: Well, do you know it's quite amusing actually, because I don't recommend it.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit fed up with eating money jack because I have a lot of munk jack in the freezer.
Speaker 4: You know that's not normal.
Speaker 3: Do you know that it is at our circles? That's quite normal?
Speaker 2: And you know I've tried all the norm So what I did was, I've got a haunch. I went and boned it out, and I used the Countryside WhatsApp group to check my thought process, and I thought, right, I'm going to go ask Hugo Campbell Hill. The idea here in the food section is pretty valuable because you basically get direct access to people.
Speaker 3: Who I've either tried it and go and don't do that, or people.
Speaker 2: Who are experimental chefs and they're doing something and then you can find out whether they're complete idiots or a genius. So anyway, I boned this thing out. I said, Hugo, what fancy doing is on a roll this like almost a breast of lamb with some force meat stuffing and then go and he said, oh, yes, that's brilliant, but barbecue it, and literally as he said, barbecue it.
Speaker 3: Via the power of WhatsApp over.
Speaker 2: On the other group, there's Callum's face burnt to a flipping walker's crisp going just bring him with pizza oven and the idea of me switching on my bloody or you should have some charcoal in.
Speaker 4: I went, do you know what, like a horse, you fall off you and get back on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I've fallen off horses more times than most people, right, but I never came off looking like.
Speaker 3: I've been thrown by the US Ranger Battalion on even.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, I'm trying to think what that picture is. Who's that picture where the person has just been like nap and there and there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're thinking of the album cover of rage against the machines first album. Aren't You is what they what they call the photo not self immolating monk.
Speaker 2: I have to say it's I mean, it's a thing. But look did you carry on and complete the pizza cooking? And did everyone around you laugh?
Speaker 4: I was cooking a chicken chicking in your pizza oven and considering I gassed it for ten minutes, it did still it did still come out quite well. No, no, you can't say anything else.
Speaker 1: Considering you've just had the kitchen redone as well, so you've got a brand new kitchen inside. You have now moved outside to effectively a damp well, I say damp patio, but damp would be an improvement in current conditions because you've bought the pizza ovens, so now everything's happening outside. So is the kitchen just unused or is that where you're storing all of the pizza dishes and things?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a getting it all outside. But yeah, just cook him with a bit of fire. Fire is great, isn't it not?
Speaker 3: According to your eyelashes?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, but you know if look, you can't make I can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs and sometimes sometimes eyebrows are collateral damage in the process.
Speaker 3: You really need eyebrows.
Speaker 4: And you know, there was a good meme the other day. It was like my mum didn't raise a quitter, she raised a complainer. I complain about almost everything I have to do. I'll do it, and i'll do it well, but I'll complain about it the whole way. But I am surprisingly an optimist. I feel like I have learned a lesson taking my eyebrows off and and the lesson is not to fuck around with gas. And I've learned a lesson that it could have been worse. I could have blown something up properly, but all I did was loose some eyebrows. So now not only am I going to be very careful in future because I know the consequences. Only the only damage is my pride and my eyebrows. And everyone got a laugh, So it's a win win.
Speaker 1: And if you've got to die, at least die in an anecdote, you know.
Speaker 4: I know it was a bit like it was a bit like one of the scenes from Casualty where you know it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: They like you.
Speaker 4: It's rolling hills and then it cuts to a shot of calor gas and then suddenly someone's lighting up a pizza up.
Speaker 2: And what we should do is that we should take Callum when we go to the game fair in a couple of weeks time, we will take Callum with us and we will portrayde him in front of the Moreland Associations stand that they will have and say this is what happens when you get a load of deadwood, you know. And yeah, I think it's I think it's a it's a public service thing that control burning is good, out of control wildfare as you end up looking like Callum. I think it's Look, it's just how we operate here at Country Slide. We operate a public service thing because the BBC can't be asked anymore.
Speaker 1: So there we go, there we go. Well, I think that's a good time to bring it to an end. This would be the end of the main show. We'll go of the patron only after show next and I think in the after show, I'm going to start by talking about my observations of Callum's interactions with his clients on Friday.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, thank you everyone, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yes