Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I want to play this Joe because I I think I can play. I don't think there's any swearing in it. Let's see how far we get.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon Lisa here. So I went into a sauna spa thing at the gym, and a week later I.
Speaker 4: Had like this rash on the side of way body.
Speaker 3: Went to the German hoologist.
Speaker 2: First thing out that doctor's mouth was, have you been in this fall lately? Because you know all.
Speaker 5: The puffy stuff is in the air and you got it on your skin. I don't go back.
Speaker 2: I have a great day, Happy holidays, She said, hussy stuff, pussy, pussy stuff or puffy I'm not quite sure any of those are None of those are good to be aerosolized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I don't think I would be down with sitting in other people's hot soup.
Speaker 2: That's why, because you're you're ok You're okay with the one seater.
Speaker 1: With my own soup. I will sit in my own soup. What else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time four? What's happening? What's happening is sponsored by Abner Gas Water Damage Fire Damage Burglary called Public Adjuster Abner GAG eight one eight nine one seven, five two five six. All right, three dead is what we're getting out of Madison, Wisconsin. This school shooting at Madison's Abundant Life Christian School from earlier today.
Speaker 1: We are anticipating another update coming in this hour. We will take you there lives should it happen before the end of the show. Several injured. We don't really have that number nailed down because they don't have it nailed down. This is a Christian school K through twelve, about three hundred and ninety students. They do say that the shooter was a student.
Speaker 2: The chief did also announce that there were no law enforcement officers who shot at They did not have to fire their weapons when they got on campus because by the time they got there it was all said and done. They still did their due diligence, obviously clearing the building, clearing the locations, clearing the parking lot. And they said that they're doing a secondary search of buildings and vehicles just out of an abundance of caution. And again, like Shannon said, an update coming sometime later this hour.
Speaker 1: The ex wife of a doctor was shot and killed outside his medical practice in Woodland Hills has been charged with murder.
Speaker 2: They believe this was a murder for higher plot.
Speaker 1: This includes special circumstances of lying and wait murder for financial gain as well. She's also facing an assault charge stemming from that baseball attack on the doctor just months before he was shot and killed.
Speaker 2: A little earthquake, the old two point eight that rattled Monterey Park from this morning. No big deal, that's all just after ten o'clock if you felt it.
Speaker 1: Thorty's have arrested a guy from Stockton who tried to recruit an undercover police officer to work for him as a prostitute. Skuy used social media to recruit a woman who is actually an officer with the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force.
Speaker 2: I you ever try to hire a prostitute? No, as a matter of fact, you mean, in general, the answer is still no. Is a different answer would specify? I mean the answer is still no at that point. In South Korea, the political turmoil continues. South Korea's Constitutional Court has begun the process of reviewing the impeachment of their president Yun Suck Yule the leader of his party. The Han Dong Houn is the leader of the People Power Party. He resigned this morning. He had wavered in his support of the president. Of course, you remember the president declared that short lived martial law earlier this month. In the end, the party said that they would support impeaching their own president. Last week, just ahead of the vote that took place over the weekend, there was.
Speaker 1: A guy caught outside the Pentagon with a loaded gun in his car and a device in his underwear that would enable the firearm to act.
Speaker 2: Like a machine gun. Can you bring this down for me? What good is it doing? And what as good as it in his underwear?
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't understand the technology here. The Well, the loaded gun in his car is like a remote control or.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, it's a physical oh icy that you can put it on to the gun on the back of the slide. I see, I see it. I guess it's the handgun version of a bump stock for the bump stock thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you keep it in your underwear because it's completely illegal, Oh to turn a sound my automatic weapon basically into an automatic weapon.
Speaker 2: I mean it's technically not, but still that's why they don't. This guy was driving around with a first of all, the loaded gun, yeah, the glock switch, the giggle switch, whatever you call it, in his in his pants, underpants, and talking on the cell phone the whole time, talking on his cell phone. Okay, well he wasn't using the blue tooth. I just mean, if you're going to be doing dumb things, right, if you're going to put dumb parts into your dumb underpants, don't do the dumb things to attract the attention of the police. Right, just to guess, just as my little there's a new law that's coming into California January first, public libraries are prohibited from banning books that deal with race, gender, identity, sexual orientation. They call it the Freedom to Read Act. It requires libraries to develop and make a policy that governs how library staff select, acquire, and manage library materials, and they must include a process for the public to challenge library materials as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: It was a week fifteen in the NFL, just a handful of games to.
Speaker 2: Go, and I didn't know Detroit.
Speaker 1: Was that banged up as they were going into this. I also didn't know Dan Campbell's teeth were in.
Speaker 2: Such bad shape. It's so funny. It's so funny that that comes into play. I didn't get to see the Bills Lions game.
Speaker 1: I heard that the score was not indicative of just how far.
Speaker 2: Apart they actually were. Buffalo looked great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Josh Allen has had like three games in a row of just looking like a freaking superhero.
Speaker 2: You can't ask for that. The timing of it. There are a lot can be said about playing with the momentum, and you can be as haphazard and shoddy as you want to. I mean, the Chiefs last year were one of those things where you get halfway through the season you're like, they're not even gonna make the playoffs. But when you get into late November, into December and January, that's when it counts. That's what it counts. And this is exactly what he's and that team is. I will say this, Detroit's uniform people are crushing it this year. That helmet that they were wearing yesterday, like the metallic blue helmet with the silk the great it was really listen just because I watched football for the fashion of it.
Speaker 1: The Josh Allen thing to me seems it feels a little bit like the Lamar MVP season of Yeah, he had a great season, but it's going to falter.
Speaker 2: I just don't love that defense as much.
Speaker 1: Detroit had a lot of injuries apparently they not know about, and then they lost David Montgomery today and for a MC that he suffered yesterday, some sort of injury to his MCL.
Speaker 2: You were also talking about Patrick Mahomes and his injury. They alleged injury, well they did. The team says it's a high ankle spring, okay, which is a very nondescript. I mean, I know we see those before and guys come back.
Speaker 1: Justin Herbert's played with one of those the entire year. About Justin Herbert and the Chargers they had, they just seemed hungover from that Chief's loss. It took so much out of them because that was a winnable game. If they had Lad McConkey last week. He doesn't have anyone really to throw it to. But that Tampa Bay Buccaneers team, like I was saying earlier, Baker Mayfield's just a winner. And Mike Evans is incredible to watch, reminiscent of Jerry Rice. Just head and shoulders above any other receiver right now, in my opinion, they're legit.
Speaker 2: The Buccaneers are legit. Forty to seventeen was a final score in that game. I at one point showed my wife an image of Ladd McConkey. He'd just caught the ball and he's laying on the ground a little bit, and it makes for some reason, that angle made his helmet look that much bigger. It already looks like he's a little kid wearing a grown man's helmet, but then to show him on the sideline without his helmet on, he looks like an eleven year old. He's incredible.
Speaker 1: He catches everything, and he had a couple he had a couple non catches yesterday late in the game, but he he his vertical yesterday on one of those balls.
Speaker 2: I was like, how the hell did.
Speaker 1: That kid get that far off the ground. He's incredible. Invisible step ladder, let's see here the Steelers. Steelers fell to the Eagles. I think Jacob was the one. He was the only one who knew that was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: To the Eagles too, did she? Okay, so we broke the mi broke the Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 6: Role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we stuck. But Mike Tomlin. We also forget this about Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 1: He also was getting a little too close to too much of a winning record.
Speaker 2: He likes to lose a couple along the way. Did you hear what he told the ref no oh away from me? Yeah? Yeah, he was pretty mad. Don't we all repeat it? Because it was a fight, wasn't there. I mean there was a fight during the game and the rest weren't doing anything about it. Something like them. There are gonna be two Monday night games tonight Minnesota. I don't It doesn't make sense if you're gonna do that. Start one at three. Okay, so wait, what are the games? You got? Minnesota at Chicago that starts first kickoff just after five, and then uh Atlanta in Vegas against the Raiders at five thirty. Yeah, I won't watch that, says America. Says America.
Speaker 1: Denver comes to town on Thursday, essentially a playoff game because Denver Denver second in the division behind the Chiefs at nine and five.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a tough game.
Speaker 1: Bo Nicks is all over the place, tough, tough in the trenches.
Speaker 2: With that team.
Speaker 1: Uh, so Chargers have their hands well, but Broncos too. It's a short week for both of them, so well, and we got to travel.
Speaker 2: The maining schedule for the Chargers is something like it's New England and which is.
Speaker 1: The Broncos awful and Gland and the Raiders. The Broncos play the Chargers, then they play the Bengals and then they play the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Is there a scenario where the Chargers are rooting for the Chiefs in that game? That will be nothing for them? Is there the scenario which is unfortunate? That's an ugly way to watch for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Eric and Craig and ten fourteen n D on Twitter. Y'all came up perfect with the Chiefs, the Bills, the Eagles, and the Packers.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't forget. If you ever miss any portion of our show and you heard that thing that she said that's probably going to get us in trouble, you can always go back and listen on the podcast before they pull it off. All you have to do is go to KFI AM six forty dot com slash Gary and Shannon. From there, you'll see the posts every day from the show. You can also go to the iHeartRadio app search Gary and Shannon. You'll find all the past episodes. In fact, anywhere you look at your podcast. Anywhere you get them, type in Gary and Shannon. We're on all the platforms and you can leave us comments there. You can rate it, you can share it, you can send it to other people, all that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: I thought that game last night was going to be better than it was. I thought the Seahawks would put on a better show.
Speaker 2: Can we do outlaw those Seahawks uniforms place? They're awful? They're awful, worst green color. It's hideous and I wasn't a fan of.
Speaker 1: I don't like green, bayl and white either. That's also unnaturally.
Speaker 2: Helmet's looked on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Gino Gino Smith, My god, just when you thought that he was not the answer, Sam Howell comes in, Holy hell.
Speaker 2: And it gets worse. All right, Gary, Jane, I couldn't throw the ball from me to you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So who the hell am I?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: When you're also suffering high ankle spraying the s to barely open fire at a private Christian school in Madison, Wisconsin. Today, let's go live to I've got it right, over here. We're going to go live and get an update from the police chief.
Speaker 6: I'll just give you.
Speaker 5: A minute to start your live streams or do whatever you need to do while you're doing that. My name is Chief Sean Barnes s H O N B A R N E S. I'm currently the chief of Police for the Madison Police Department. I'll be providing a brief update of the school shooting that we had today in Madison. There's some information that we're not going to release because it's still an ever evolving situation. You're here from some of our representatives, from our city and from our county, and behind me are a lot of people who came together today to make sure that the day ended well and then everyone else was safe. So if that being said, I'll go ahead and start my remarks. Today truly is a sad day for Madison and for our country. It is a day that I believe will live in our collective minds for a very very long time. Heard the details today at ten fifty seven am, our team was called to the Abundant Life Christian School in reference to an active shooter. We know that three people are dead, including the suspect shooter. We know that the suspect shooter was a teenage student who attended the school. At this time, we're not releasing the age or gender of the student or any other identifying remarks about the student. Two other people have died. That died were a teacher and a teenage student. Six other people were injured. Two students are now in critical condition in the high hospital and these injuries are considered life threatening injuries. Four students are also at other area hospitals with non life threatening injuries. But these are just the physical injuries that we know about. We know that this was the middle of the day of a school day, and so there will be other injuries that we'll have to face for a very very long time, and we're going to do everything we can as a community to heal those injuries as well. Many of you have asked me about the why of this, Why did this happen? What do we know? What was the motivation? I do not know, but I will tell you this, Our detectives are working hard in an investigative process to find out as many answers as we can so that we can further prevent these things from happening. Not only in this community, but in other communities around our country. I think we can all agree that enough is enough and we have to come together to do everything we can to support our students to prevent press conferences like these from happening again and again and again. The school building itself is clear. We have cleared the school. There's no other threats or danger to the community. We're in the process now what we call reunification, and what that simply means is making sure that every student that was in the school is present and accounted for and return to their loved ones. This usually takes a while, but we have practice, unfortunately, and practice and practice, and that's why we're able to reunify students with their parents within hours of a school shooting. The reunification has taking place at the Dean Clinic on Road, and I certainly thank them for their help. Again, we need our public to find an alternate route if that is your normal way home. As we get closer to the end of the day, please be patient or find another route home. We're currently processing the scene, we're interveering those who may have been witnesses, and we're obtaining search wants to get additional information and Lastly, I want to just say thank you to everyone who's standing behind me, the organizations and agencies that they represent, the men and women of the Madison Police Department and Dane County Sheriff's Office, who selflessly ran into a building not knowing what they were going to encounter. Many of you know this about me, but I started my professional career, if you will, as a public school teacher back in nineteen ninety seven, and I taught public school for four years. It was one of the greatest joy of my life before becoming a police officer, and I can tell you what a special place our schools are. With that being said, we owe it to our community to do everything possible to ensure that it's not only a special place, but a safe place as well, and we're going to continue to do that. So we ask for your patients. As information is coming in, we will do the best that we can to bring you accurate and timely information. But we want to make sure that our public knows that we're working extremely hard on this particular incident. There are a lot of people involved, and certainly we're going to come together as a community. I like to bring up at this time, police Fire Chief Chris Carbon.
Speaker 7: Thank you Chief for Barnes. Before I started, the only thing I can say is this is not a place that any fire chief or any one of us would ever want to be. And I can't believe I'm standing here today talking about this incident. The Fire Department is a part of this community much like all the folks standing up here with me today. Our hearts are with and our arms are around everybody impacted today and everybody within our community. With that, I won't repeat the details shared by Chief Barnes, but I will share with you the fire department activity for today. Much like Chief Barnes mentioned at ten fifty seven, we were also dispatched with Engine five and medic five to the same location. Throughout the course of the incident, we responded with five engine companies, four ladder companies, fifteen ambulances. I would like to take a moment and share our gratitude for our county partners throughout a multitude of MS and fire agencies that joined us in the response.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 7: We all said eleven off duty chief officers that came in on this response. It was a tremendous response from the fire department. We transported four patients to SAT. We transported three patients to the University of Wisconsin Hospitals on the arrival of our crews. I can say my gratitude to our membership for what they did and their selfless actions. Today it's hard for me to place into words what they ran into as well.
Speaker 5: They did that immediately, they did that.
Speaker 7: Selflessly, and within a course of fifteen minutes, from the first transport to the last transport, all the patients were on their way to the hospital. So to our membership within the Madison Fire Department and within all the emergency services, my gratitude, my recognition of the work that goes into this, the training that went into this that again we had hoped we would never have to put into practice one more time. On behalf of the Madison Fire Department. Our hearts are with you, our arms are around you, and we will be with you throughout the duration of this. So at this point I'll step aside turn over to the mayor.
Speaker 3: Thank you, chiefs, both of you. This is an incredibly sad day for our community. As you've heard, there is no danger to the community at this time, but our entire community has been impacted by this tragic incident on behalf of the Common Council and the City of Madison staff. I want to offer our heartfelt condolences to the victims and families and to the whole abundant life community. Our focus now is on supporting them and supporting the victims and their families, and we will continue to do that through the coming days and weeks. I also want to thank our first responders and the police, fire, the medical staff for their quick action and their life saving efforts. As you've heard already, this is a whole of government response. It is not just police and fire, It is not just City of Madison. We have folks from all around the county. We have folks from multiple agencies engaged in both the initial immediate response and the ongoing support, and will be engaged for days and weeks to come. I also want to thank the White House and the Governor and others in the federal government and state government for reaching out to offer their support and help. We will be drawing on resources as needed going forward, but the most important thing right now is to make sure that we are centering the victims and their families and that we are doing whatever we can to support them and to help them heal and to lift our entire community up through this difficult incident.
Speaker 2: I am on record.
Speaker 3: That I think we need to do better in our country, in our community to prevent gun violence. I hope, I hoped that this day would never come in Madison. It is not something that any mayor any fire chief, any police chief, any person in public office ever wants to.
Speaker 2: Have to deal with.
Speaker 3: And so I will ask our entire community and our entire country to do whatever we can to make sure that no public official ever has to stand in this position again. And now invite the counting executive to the podium.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon everyone. Today our community is reeling from the heartbreaking and senseless tragedies at Abundant Life Christian School of Madison. As a mom who received a text from her son at a high school here in the city of Madison, wondering if he was safe, I can tell you this hits you on the gut. Our community is better than us, Our country is better than us. Cannot continue. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and the students and the educators, and the list goes on and on. Every one of us is affected by this unimaginable and unacceptable violence that has hit our community. Today, Dang County stands united in grief with the abundant life Christian School community. The Sheriff's Department, the Department of Emergency Management, Department of Human Services have all been on the front lines. My phone has been ringing from people across our state and our nation asking what it is that they can do to help our community. And right now it is our time to be committed to supporting this school, these students, and these families, and our first responders who went into that building during this devastating time. We must work closely with our law enforcement officers and first responders, mental health professionals, community leaders, and policymakers to ensure that we are taking care of one another. No community should ever have to endure such a tragedy, and my administration is going to do everything that it can to provide assistance to those who have experienced this devastating loss and also do everything that we can to prevent such tragedy from occurring. To all of those are aggrieving in our community, please know that you're not alone. Dan County stands with you. We're here to support you in any way possible, Please reach out and ask for help. The governor's office as well as the mayor's office and I will continue to update the public as we learn more. But please understand there are many things that we cannot share with you right now. This is an active investigation. This is an active case. The SSM Health Clinic near the intersection of Buckeye Road in Stone Road is the reunification center. I know that that has been out, but we need to make sure that folks know where it is that they can go to be reunited with their children again. In the coming days, we are going to make sure that we are supporting those that have been most impacted by this. But folks reach out, ask for help. This does not need to be the reality of our community.
Speaker 2: Thank you. All right, we'll start over here with questions. We're listening to a live update this update out of Madison, Wisconsin school shooting. We received the call up on.
Speaker 5: Christians fifty seven am. Someone from the from the school call now one one to report that there was an active shooter. That means something different to us. Obviously, there's different protocols that go out tone alerts. Even so that even if officers are busy doing other things, they respond. One of the things that I do want to note is that our training center is about three miles from there. We have a special event team medics. Those that have worked with the fire department responded to this particular scene from their training day. So what began as a training day became an actual day, and so that's how this call originally came in.
Speaker 2: Nicholas, did you have a question.
Speaker 6: What can you tell us if anything more about this shooter and what their motivations were, or a unie contact with their family members, anything anything updated on that.
Speaker 5: Sure, it's nothing new that I can tell you about the shooter at this time. Again, as as as difficult as today is, that's still someone's child that's gone. That's still someone that has to deal with what happened today, and so we want to make sure that we can ensure as much cooperation as we can. You asked me about why as I stayed it before. I don't know why, and I felt like if we did know why, we could stop these things from happening. But what I will tell you is, as soon as we are done with the investigation, any information that we uncover that will not compromise the safety of anyone involved, or compromise the confidentiality of any of these children that are involved. Will tell you. I just asked for your patience.
Speaker 6: All right, go over there, sir.
Speaker 2: What kind of done was you?
Speaker 5: We know it was a handgun. We know a handgun was recovered.
Speaker 2: Was confined to one classroom or did it spread out?
Speaker 5: We know it was confined to one space. I don't do not know if it was a classroom or a hallway. One of the things that we've gotten very good at, certainly different from in my day, is that if you do not need to be in a crime scene, you do not need to go to a crime scene. And so the crime scene and those persons who are involved, they have that crime scene lockdown, did not go or enter into that crime scene. But if you can imagine most schools, the s the students go together, but they are segregated, so on each different floor, in each different group, and so there's no evidence that anyone else was injured that was not in the age group. You know, what you said was talking about how school staff responded, what the train said. I cannot speak to how the schools staff responded. You know, we we did have injuries, but it could have always of course, had additional injuries. I do not know what the school's protocols are. Again, this is a private Christian school. I know that we have a very good rapport with MMSD Madison Metropolitan Schools public schools, so we have done trainings for them before. But I would assume that most of the teachers have the same or some similar type of training as a part of their certification.
Speaker 2: Courts outline about how many students are in the school.
Speaker 5: Can you confer.
Speaker 2: Altimately how many students?
Speaker 5: I do not know how many students attend the school, but their website says that they serve about two hundred families.
Speaker 6: Right in the back white. What kind of sport systems you're really made available to you were affect your pride the comperience.
Speaker 5: That's a good question. As you heard from our mayor and our counter exec we have services within our government that will be made available to them. I have a lot of confidence that they're going to follow through on that and we'll make sure that that persons who need to do you guys want to speak to them.
Speaker 4: So Dane County Human Services as well as the Red Cross and other consolidated agencies are already on the scene and we will continue to be on scene and those resources will be bolstered. Again, please reach out. You are not alone. We are going to navigate this together, and there are people who are affected by this trauma who are not in the reunification center or at the school. We need folks to be reaching out because we do have resources available.
Speaker 2: Did you know if a.
Speaker 4: London Christian Life student do they have afer?
Speaker 5: It's not my knowledge that they had a school resource officer that if they did, I would be a police officer and I know where they all are and they're not in the school right now.
Speaker 2: We've been listening to Chief Sean Barnes Madison, Wisconsin Police Department about today's shooting at Abundant Life Christian School there. This is a school of just under four hundred students between K and twelve grades. Three people were killed. That does include the shooter, who he described as a teenage student, but that was the only description he gave, not going to release the age or the gender. Yeah, that was odd. I don't know if that means that it would be super easily identifiable, that people would know immediately who it was. Based on that, but that would seem hard. But the two others at some point very soon, Yeah, two others that were killed. One of them was a teacher, and then the second person killed by the gunman or the shooter, i should say, was a teenage student.
Speaker 1: The wounded had injuries ranging broadly from minor to life threatening. So that's six students minor to life threatening.
Speaker 2: He had two of those said to be life threatening condition. And he did also mention that this was confined to one space. Wasn't clear if it was a hallway, a classroom, cafeteria or something like that, but did say that the shooting itself was confined to just one space. The fire chief got up there and if you heard that emotion almost choking back tears as he was describing the situation that the fire fighters ended up walking into when they were dispatched as well, of course, tasked with getting the injured out of there as quickly as possible, which he said that they did within ten to fifteen minutes. They had all the students out of there. But again, a teacher and a teenage student apparently killed in this shooting in Madison, Wisconsin. At Abundant Life Christian school, and no details about the shooter other than to say that it was also a student and that it was a teenager using a handgun to affect the violence. So more details obviously tomorrow when we come back. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.