Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Good morning one and all. It's Thursday morning, May fifteenth. Then you know what we celebrate on May fifteenth. It's national something mango SORBEB Day, or it's.
Speaker 3: Actually Peace Officers Memorial Day.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, okay, I'll buy that one. It's when it's a National cockroach Day.
Speaker 4: There's a day for everyday. Oh my god, did my dog just walk in here? Yes? They did. Okay. They come in and say good morning all the time.
Speaker 5: Wow, well, thanks for taking us all with you.
Speaker 2: No, it's just I get a heuge kick out of they come in the morning and say hello to me, and it's uh see, there's my little.
Speaker 4: My little weenie.
Speaker 2: You know. That's let me tell you something, it's that's three good meals right there.
Speaker 4: It's okay, this is radio sir. Oh yeah, that's right, okay, good morning, everybody. All right, let me put her down? All right, little is all right? Where were we? Oh yeah, we're doing a radio show.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Yeah we were yeah, yeah, all right, So good morning, Neil.
Speaker 6: Oh, hey, Bill, how are you pal?
Speaker 2: I'm good good good Yeah, Amy, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning. It's also National Chocolate Chip Day.
Speaker 4: See there you go. Now it's not chocolate.
Speaker 2: It's chocolate chip not chocolate chunk day, because you have those morsels, and there's two different kinds of chips. Right, You've got the little hershey, tiny little chips, the Hershy's kisses kind of thing, and then you have the ankers.
Speaker 4: So which one is it?
Speaker 3: It is chocolate chip Day. But I do like a good chunk.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there you go, So there'll be a chocolate chunk Day at some point, of course, there will. Okay, will good morning, Good morning Bill. All right, Oh look at you button down shirt this morning, just for you and yeah, very elegant, very elegant.
Speaker 6: Look at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and shaved.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 4: Wow? Did you man escape yourself? Also, that's a lot of information. Did you give yourself an Argentinian.
Speaker 6: Look at everybody just hoping I don't answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh it was Kno. Is that dressed a little uniquely today? Is the same sweatshirt and hat that he always wears?
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you? And also happy National Nylon Stocking Day.
Speaker 2: A minute first of all, we're not going to talk about who wears those. You know, don't knock it until you've tried it, all right, Okay, does anybody.
Speaker 4: Wear nylons anymore?
Speaker 6: Amy?
Speaker 2: And does anybody wear them? And whatever having to pantyhose or any of that.
Speaker 3: I haven't worn nylons in years. Yeah. I did wear tights in Paris because it's cold.
Speaker 4: Oh don't you women wear spanky's or something?
Speaker 5: Spanksans spankys not.
Speaker 3: Here though, And I don't like I hate spanks. Do you like spanks? And no, I think they're awful.
Speaker 4: They're just don't try it till you don't until you ex it.
Speaker 6: I love them o great because.
Speaker 4: They make your butt nice and firm, you know me? What with a tight butt?
Speaker 3: No, it's spanks, I spanky?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I I get it. Okay. I think I said hello to everybody, haven't I?
Speaker 3: No, you didn't say hello to me. I thought I had an You don't have to say especially say hello? Can you mut mute?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm not okay? Thank you there, dope.
Speaker 5: And in his defense, he was confused by daw Uggs and apparently the little rascals are on his mind spanky and everything.
Speaker 4: Else coming on.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, let's say you get you guys ready for some news.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, let's do it.
Speaker 2: It's time for Handle on the News with Amy Neil and me lead story. Well, we finally got the word about that putative meeting. Oh, the putentaive meeting that almost worked between Zelensky and Putin Zolensky.
Speaker 4: Putin said, yeah, we'll meet.
Speaker 2: Zelensky said, We're going to meet personally in Turkey regarding any of the war. Putin bailed out. He said, now we're not going to meet personally. I'll send my delegation. And at that point Zilinsky is out of it too, and the president, our president is not showing up there either. So you know, there's it's going to be a day in Turkey without the fixings.
Speaker 4: Let me explain that.
Speaker 6: No, we got you. Oh, okay, good, we understood it.
Speaker 7: The power that judges have is in the hands of the Supreme Court. So today the High Court's going to be hearing the case that has to do with birthright citizenship. But the real issue. We got this from Stephen Portnoy with ABC. Thank god he can explain all this stuff, is that the White House has been stopped by judges who are issuing injunctions against his orders while it plays out and they're litigated in court. And it includes immigration, it includes birthright citizenship, It includes withholding federal funds from schools with diversity programming, relocating transgender women in federal prisons, removing deportation protections, all kinds of stuff. Well, today the Supreme Court's going to take up the case that has potentially major implications on the power of the judicial branch, because they're basically going to be deciding do judges have the power to issue nationwide orders?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a single federal judge can stop the entire country from moving forward. There are two sides to this coin. One that is a legitimate question. Two, if the judges don't have the power, So let's say the White House, the administration says, Okay, birthright citizenship does not exist anymore.
Speaker 4: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's an argument that can be made. You look at the interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment, and the court goes back and forth. Look at row, You've got discrimination cases, look at slavery, which actually was upheld by the Supreme Court in the eighteen fifties in the dread Scott case said yeah, yeah, you're yeah, you can own people. And so here is the big issue, and that is is a practical issue. If the judges don't have a right to stop immediately the redefinition of the birthright citizenship, that means that if the president can continue to do what he wants to do, and that is take away those people's citizenship right just to remove them based on the fact that they're reinterpreting what birthrights citizenship is, does that mean he has the power to deport people? And later on the court reinstates it because it becomes a constitutional issue.
Speaker 4: What happens to those people that have been.
Speaker 2: Tossed out of the country who now have been deemed citizens on an appeals court decision or Supreme Court decision versus maintaining a single judge's ability to say no, you can stop it now. It's all he's going to go on appeal. The problem is do these people who are citizens can they be denied citizenship? It's interesting stuff to say the least. Both sides have a point, and I don't know which way to go on that.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 6: Okay, want one more?
Speaker 5: Uh sure, you break it all right? Okay, now, go ahead, Okay, e p A announced rollbacks for some of the Biden era limits on these forever chemicals in our drinking water. These are the p f A s's because I am not going to pronounce them, and these are the limits to find these forever chemicals in your water. So some of them certain you know they're they're concerned is about cancers, babies being born with low birthweight, cardiovascular disease. These are the risks that are increased by these forever chemicals, and you know the Trump administration is rolling some of that back. In some cases.
Speaker 2: Lit'sten At bottom line it you're not going to be able to by paint without lead in it. By the end of the year, they're going to mandate manufacturing lead in paint.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm a little surprised at this, aren't you?
Speaker 7: Because because RFK Junior is such a big get the chemicals out, get our population healthy, the moms.
Speaker 6: Florida or Flora. I'd rather everything else. He's okay with.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't understand any of it. I mean yesterday when he was in the hearing in front of Congress yesterday or in front of the Senate, and he wouldn't he would not say that measles the measles vaccine are the best protection. He danced around that one, although he had said it previously. Oh the other thing that I loved what he did is he had mentioned in terms of vaccines that the only vaccine that has been tested with a double blind placebo study, which is the gold standard of testing vaccines, was the COVID vaccine.
Speaker 6: And okay, that's what he said.
Speaker 2: And Bill Cassidy, who is a Senator who voted to confirm him. The guy's a doctor and he had some real issues, went on the record to say, no, that's not true, and then went through a litany of the vaccines who have gone through that kind of testing.
Speaker 4: None of it makes sense. None of it makes sense.
Speaker 3: You know how Trump likes to make a deal.
Speaker 7: Mexico's security chief has confirmed that seventeen family members of cartel leaders crossed into the US last week. It was part of a deal between a son of the former head of the Sinaloa cartel and the Trump administration. It was family members of of the Ovidio Guzman Lopez Lopez Sorry, and of course he's El Chappo's son. The family members walked across the border from Tijuana with their suitcases to waiting US agents last week.
Speaker 4: And I guess what, they cut a deal to go to prison.
Speaker 2: And in I don't get it other than they realize that they're not going to be able to buy their way out of the issues in Mexico because now Mexico extradites these people, picks them up.
Speaker 4: And extradites them.
Speaker 2: And that's the last thing any of them want to be extradied in the United States because they end up in prison, federal maximum security prison.
Speaker 4: No hookers. So this was sort of done under the table, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Amy This is the first that I'm hearing about it. Yeah, it was done last week. And they're saying that the younger Guzman, who's the son of l Chapo, was planning to plead guilty to avoid trial for drug trafficking charges in the US. He was extradited here in twenty twenty three. So maybe they're doing it to protect the family. They're not saying is the family going to be incarcerated, what happens to them?
Speaker 5: Don't know, all right, Although cheers broke out yesterday as Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee signed off on the new GOP tax breaks bill. You know, they've been going back and forth on this. There's still a lot of work to do and some separation. The bloom is off the rose. You've got Representative Chip Roy from Texas, the leader of the conservative wing, says.
Speaker 6: That there's a significant.
Speaker 5: Number of those who could not bless this product.
Speaker 6: So there is some separation there.
Speaker 2: I mean, the deficit hawks are coming out of the woodward finally, because we're looking at a two trillion dollar national the deficit, and so that means that there's going to be added to the national debt. And there was no such thing as a deficit hawk the first time My Trump was in office, no such thing. They went from oh my god, we're spending too much money to whatever he wants. Now you've got a few of them on the Freedom Coucers saying, wait a minute, man.
Speaker 4: You know, we're Republicans.
Speaker 2: We don't believe in going into deficit year after year after year with the government. So we'll see what happened. There's going to be there will be at this point. I think some kind of compromise.
Speaker 3: Thirty bucks to make the bed. The La City Council's voted twelve to three.
Speaker 7: I believe it was the vote in favor of raising the minimum wage for workers in the tourism industry. What that means is that these workers are going to have the highest minimum wage in the country. So hotels with more than sixty rooms companies doing business at LAX will be paying their workers thirty dollars an hour by twenty twenty eight. It'll go up gradually. It starts if it gets final approval from the city council. It goes up starting in July, and then incrementally over the next couple of years. But by twenty twenty eight, that's a forty eight percent hike in minimum wage for hotel employees, and airport workers would be seeing a fifty six percent wage increase.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple things first, Well, I did the math on this. Sixty thousand dollars a year for forty hour week at thirty dollars an hour, and how many people do you think are going to be leaving? iHeart to make beds in hotels and effectively double their pay.
Speaker 6: CONO, where's Kono?
Speaker 3: Where'd he go?
Speaker 4: He's off to the Hilton to make some beds.
Speaker 5: Okay, allow you to dress like a hoodlum when you work in hospitality.
Speaker 6: How's the sweatcher to hoodlum guys? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sorry? A hoodie and that kind of hat.
Speaker 2: You look like the Unibomber, the happy phase, A happy face on my sweatshirt.
Speaker 4: The un obomber was very happy when he was blowing people up.
Speaker 6: How come the eyes are xed out on it? Hood all right?
Speaker 5: Dick's Sporting Goods to buy foot Locker for two point four billion.
Speaker 6: The deal was.
Speaker 5: Announced just this morning, confirming the way Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the more interesting UH purchases because you have a company that refers to a body part, but by a company that is referring to a body part in its title.
Speaker 6: Oh fascinating.
Speaker 2: Hey, you remember thinking that that that goes in business class. Believe me, they're going to be studying this one for a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You went through that big sporting thing for a while, and you were going in there all the time, coming out with a big bag of dicks, and.
Speaker 6: You were like, oh, I just got this and this, and so.
Speaker 2: You went farther than I did, and that doesn't usually happen. That that rarely happens, you know that. Then you have the company song. Of course, now you have a new company. You know the ankle boats connected to the foot bone and the foot bones connected to and then just go straight up from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could do forty five minutes on this one. You know that.
Speaker 6: I'm ashamed of myself.
Speaker 4: You should.
Speaker 3: Jay Junior gets grilled Robert F.
Speaker 7: Kennedy Junior was on Capitol Hill for back to back congressional hearings to defend his messaging on vaccines and also the growing measles outbreak, the firing of thousands of federal healthcare worker or federal health workers, and also cuts to the agencies that he oversees. This first time that he's been in front of Congress since he was sworn in, and Kennedy did find some common ground on his efforts to ban food dies, get rid of pharmaceutical advertising. Who wouldn't agree with that, reducing drug pricing, But he did get into it with lawmakers over vaccines and at one point got into it with Representative Mark Pokin, who's from Wisconsin. He asked if Kennedy would vaccinate his own kids against measles, and Kennedy paused and then finally said probably.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 2: He At one point yes, the measles vaccine is the best deterned or the best protection. And then he's come back and when he's asked that, he starts talking about the risk of vaccines. You know, the outbreak of measles primarily in Texas, and now it's in the thousands of Americans who have gotten measles, who have somehow well they have, they've gotten measles. Every single one of those people have not been vaccinated. Everyone who has measles has not been vaccinated.
Speaker 4: What does that tell you?
Speaker 6: Don't hear anybody surprised?
Speaker 4: No, and you you don't see that very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when did the GOP become the party of wing nuts and conspiracy theories?
Speaker 6: When did that happen? The Grand Old Party is no longer around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's you know what I'm trying to think, because it was before, well it was, it's always had its little it was always fringe. It was always fringe. And when and when you had the MAGA supporters. That's not to say it is. I think it's when Trump came into power or became a national figure.
Speaker 4: And it's not that he is a conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 2: It just so happens that the conspiracy theorists love him, and he if anybody's on his side, there is.
Speaker 4: They're all wonderful. The January sixth.
Speaker 2: Attackers of the Capitol Capitol all heroes, all of them. And you've got people in Congress who are You know what it did when the Internet started going crazy and the conspiracy hit the internet, that's when it go Yeah, that's when it is.
Speaker 5: And then on the flip side, you've got AOC and wing nuts. Yeah, but AOC isn't that crazy. AOC is just politically out of it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm not talking about factually, No, she is not.
Speaker 4: She is a communist.
Speaker 2: She does she talk about anybody in the Republican side describing them as pedophiles. We're talking about Congress people describing them as killing children and drinking their blood. I mean, we've got crazy people, conspiracy theories, the deep state.
Speaker 4: Now I disagree, she's out of her mind. She's out of her mind. But it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not wing nut village. That's the difference. I think that's all.
Speaker 4: It's just they go in a different direction and they're just crazy.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, yeah, all right, Starbucks, you've got hundreds of Starbucks employees walking off the job. I saw some of this yesterday. Since Sunday, they've been protesting the companies do dress dress code. That's that's how good they have it. They're complaining about the fact that they switched to the black shirt and black brown pants or something like that. They even went as far as to say that they were going to I remember this came out. Starbucks said they were going to buy or give each person two black shirts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's different.
Speaker 2: Their their big complaint is you're going The only complaint they have that's legitimate is you want us to dress or have these kinds of clothes, the black top, the black pants or whatever they want, and we have to go out and buy them, and you don't pay us very much money.
Speaker 4: Now, if they offer to pay for them, it's a new form the.
Speaker 5: Pay they're offering to give the shirts for one restaurant doesn't have a dress code for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't get it. I don't know where these folks are going with that.
Speaker 5: So then you had the folks from Starbucks saying there's been no significant impact to store operations on a national level.
Speaker 2: Right, and one of the union people say that we're already struggling, so therefore to get by and we have to buy new clothes, according to them. So we're getting two different stories here.
Speaker 7: So Bonnie got the DOJ's backing over that seven forty seven gifted by Katar. The Justice Department internal Legal Advisors clear to memos signed by ag Bondi endorsing whether it was legal for President Trump to accept that seven forty seven to eight luxury jet. The Office of Legal Counsel approved the membo before Bondy signed it.
Speaker 3: According to CNN, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of question about that.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't know how illegal it is for the US government to accept the gift from a foreign power, because that's what they do constantly. Every time someone visits, they switch gifts and then it goes. I think it's the Archives that handles the gifts, and there's zillions of them. I don't think the issue is the gifting of the seven forty seven. The big issue is what's going to happen to it. It's being gifted to the Pentagon, and then at the end of Donald Trump's term as president, it then is transferred to his Presidential library.
Speaker 4: Now it's not for his personal use. He says he's not going to use it personally.
Speaker 2: Which I believe, by the way, that is the legal issue, and then just the practical issue. My god, this is so crazy, it's beyond crazy. I'm going to talk more about that coming up at seven fifty. It is insanity, you know, as I describe every morning there's something more insane going on. This is right up there with insanity just practically speaking.
Speaker 4: I'll do that at seven fifty.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 5: The pursuit of keeping people out of their cars during the Olympics coming up in twenty twenty eight, LA County leaders are considering installing a water taxi, so this would be between Long Beach and San Pedro. Of course, the Bass administration is now looking at ways to get potholes in the water.
Speaker 2: But that.
Speaker 4: That's very strong. I wish I had thought of that. And here's an interesting part of the story. San Pedro isn't going to host any events, but it's going to.
Speaker 5: Long Beach and there's stuff going out but not San Pedro.
Speaker 3: Well that's good then, because it wouldn't be so congested.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why would everybody go to Sampedro.
Speaker 3: Because they're going to take the water taxi over to Long Beach.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, people want to fact, I just think that.
Speaker 7: One through, all right, all right, let me just another way to get there. And as was it, jenis Hans said it should be fun.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Let her do a little traffic control during the Olympics and describe it as fun.
Speaker 7: Speaking of traffic, way mo problems for driverless taxis, Weaimo has recalled more than twelve hundred of its autonomous.
Speaker 3: Vehicles because of a software defect.
Speaker 7: Apparently, the vehicles keep crashing into things gates, chains, and other obstacles in the road. Nobody's been hurt and the crashes are said to be minor. But this is over twelve hundred vehicles, and of course Weimo started driving around La late last year. It also is in San Francisco, Phoenix, and Austin, Texas. They say that they have found an fix for the software problem, so not sure when they'll be back on the roads.
Speaker 4: But still way more dangerous then we thought.
Speaker 7: No, nobody's been heard. It's crashing into gates and chains and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Way mo dangerous.
Speaker 6: Maybe he already did that, she led with that?
Speaker 4: Did you lead with that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, sorry, I didn't listen before. I was looking at the other stories. You know what, I rarely do this. I'm gonna apologize.
Speaker 7: Than calendar that May fifteenth, twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah notice, okay.
Speaker 5: Trump announces Boeing deal with Cutter Qatar worth billions. White House fact sheet actually said it was ninety six billion, and the agreement for two hundred and ten American made Boeing planes, even though Trump had earlier said that it was worth two hundred billion and included one hundred and sixty jets.
Speaker 6: So we're not sure which one is which.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean what differences that make? You know? What's one hundred billion here, one hundred billion there?
Speaker 2: Different I'm looking at these figures, and I tell you these the planes they're talking about. If you look at the ninety six billion dollars that is one hundred that's four hundred and almost five hundred almost five hundred million dollars per plane.
Speaker 4: I doubt that.
Speaker 2: And if you look at two hundred billion dollars, that's what over a billion dollars per plane. None of these numbers make any sense. None of these numbers work. Although for Boeing, boy do they need this?
Speaker 4: What a mess? Boweing has been in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, comes at a good time for them.
Speaker 2: It does all right, guys, we're done. We are completely done.
Speaker 4: This is KFI eight. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app