Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Tony from Hack the Movies here and today we're talking about returned to Silent Hill.
Speaker 2: We're finally going back.
Speaker 1: Is it good? Is it a huge letdown? Is it the worst Silent Hill film? Let's find out today on Hack the Movies. Oh my god, Monica Dan, Hello, how are you? How are you so glad to I'm you know what, I luckily there was a huge winter storm that prevented a lot of people from seeing this when it came out, so it wasn't a priority. And I'm like, you know what, God was stopping selfish people who decided to have a kid when Silent Hill three was coming out. I'll give them like five or six months and I'll wait for it to hit Disney Plus apparently, and I will review it.
Speaker 3: Then our son knew. He was just like, this turns.
Speaker 2: Out, so we all looked out. I would have been really bums this in theater.
Speaker 4: He was really trying to save us.
Speaker 2: He was trying to warn everyone.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, mom, Dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought this was gonna be a bigger deal and it ended up not being a big deal. Although it made money, it like apparently was very I don't know if you do this, but the movie apparently was very cheap.
Speaker 3: I mean I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost.
Speaker 1: Looks like some of the effects aren't done, so they rushed that out. But yeah, this has been a long time coming.
Speaker 2: This is six years ago.
Speaker 1: I think Christoph Ganz said he wanted to do another one, but he didn't want it to be a sequel.
Speaker 2: To the first one.
Speaker 1: He wanted to do like a you know, like a Twilight Zone sort of thing where everyone has different adventures in this town and maybe it's not even the same town, which is what the games did obviously.
Speaker 3: I mean I was gonna say that's technically the concept of Style Hill too. Yeah, they all have different experiences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think three ties into one because of the girl, but other than that, they're all just kind of their own thing. But yeah, he really really wanted to do Silent Hill too, And we know he liked Silent Hill too, because he worked in a bunch of Silent Hill two stuff into the first movie where it didn't really belong like Pyramid Head yep. And I guess around this time they were developing the Silent Hill to remake game because Gans worked with Organs worked with Kunami to create new designs for the monsters, and they look like they're ripped out of the new game. I feel like this was a two for one thing.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, because pyramid.
Speaker 1: Head and this looks almost exactly like the Pyramid had in the game. A couple monsters in this look exactly like they do in the game. So yeah, And we were supposed to actually obviously January, but we thought this was gonna come out like two years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he said, I have the quote here.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's supposed to be finished in April twenty twenty four, but the producers kept dragging their feet or whatever. So it took forever for this thing to get fit and come out because we were talking years ago, like, yeah, we got to do Silent Hill in a few months maybe.
Speaker 3: So he had more time to work on this.
Speaker 4: Tell me, well, he had like a year and a half extra.
Speaker 1: There was time to work on it. I'm sure he had other movies to work on.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no no no, I don't accept that.
Speaker 1: And again they got a Kiraamo from the Games to come back and do the music, and it stars Jeremy Irvine from Warhorse, Where are My Warhorse?
Speaker 2: Fans at Steven Spielberg's war Horse.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: He was also in Mama Mia, Here we Go Again. I didn't see that either. Those were the only two credits that jumped out of me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it, he's I think it's Harry, right. I just said I didn't watch it, so I pretty sure he's Harry.
Speaker 1: No, and playing three different characters is Hannah Emily Anderson, who maybe one day I'll see her in a good movie, but I only saw her in Jigsaw.
Speaker 2: Which actually wasn't terrible.
Speaker 1: I was like that it was the first of the copycat Saul movies. And recently, I think maybe even before this review or maybe after this review, depending on what the schedule is. She's Jean Grey's mom in the beginning of X Men Dark Phoenix who dies horribly very important.
Speaker 4: Role We're hiring you to Die.
Speaker 1: And I think she was in the Perge TV series. But those are the two biggest actors that jumped out except for the girl plays Lara. Did you know the fun fact with her?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Same girl from the game. Yes. And she was also in Wednesday season two.
Speaker 4: I wonder if she started doing this movie and was like, oh, well, I just did this game and then did the movie. Is like, wait a minute, this isn't what I just did.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but apparently she had an NDA with the video game was yeah, she wasn't allowed to tell them so that she auditioned for the part and she couldn't say like, I'm already in.
Speaker 2: It's like, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like there should be some sort of like agreement with the NBA saying, hey, we're making a movie to accurately represent this, and maybe we can.
Speaker 1: Should be like, hey, if you get cast in the movie version of we could tell you.
Speaker 2: Guys, so they didn't get what's his name?
Speaker 1: The writer from the first one back who you know killed that guy?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And right now he's making.
Speaker 1: A AI production company to make AI films because we mentioned this in the Dark City review, because that director is.
Speaker 2: Doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for some of these Maybe not so much this guy, because you know, he didn't have to drive drunk and kill a guy. But I feel bad for some of these older guys who can't get funding because maybe they had a couple of movies like bumb and like the only way they can get funding was what to say?
Speaker 2: Because he basically said. He's like, I don't know why I'm blanking on his name right now.
Speaker 1: He's basically like, I tried to make so many movies and no one would give me funding. And then I said I had an a start up and suddenly all the money came in. I'm like, that's rough. But yeah, he wasn't asked back. Wonder why so? Christoph wrote this with Sandra vou On, whose only writing credit is Christoph Gan's Beauty in the Beast movie, which is just scenario in some dialogue that that's our only credit before this. Okay, but don't worry the other guy, William Joseph Schneider. He has a credit for a big movie that came out a few years back, The Crow remake.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, I did not see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not missing out. There's like one good fight scene in it.
Speaker 1: There's one he goes into an opera house and he can't be killed and that was pretty cool. But unfortunately you gotta watch the rest of the movie and I just don't recommend it.
Speaker 3: I don't at this point. I probably could just find it online, right, just that scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what YouTube? Opera house fight?
Speaker 1: The Crow and then just just imagine what the rest of the movie was. Yeah, so we really got a crack team here making return to Silent Hill.
Speaker 2: But again, people love that first movie. It's become like a bit of a cult classic. People love Silent Hill too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The video game, yes.
Speaker 1: And the remake of the game coming out right before this. Everyone was hyped and they were expecting a really, really good movie.
Speaker 4: I had to do one thing. He already had source material even before the new one came out. He just had to do one thing.
Speaker 1: This is And I know we said that this movie was fine and fun. I know it's not a great movie. But Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City.
Speaker 2: Did you see that one?
Speaker 1: The last Resident Evil movie.
Speaker 2: It's not great, but like.
Speaker 3: I feel like it stayed kind of close to the source material.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is they tried to do two games at once that aren't You can't do Resident one and two at the same time.
Speaker 4: It just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Two and three you can because those games are at the same time.
Speaker 1: But this is kind of like that, where like those remakes had just came out, so like all the sets look like the games that you're playing, And that's similar to this the sets do look pretty similar to the game. There's some locations that look like they're right right out of the new game. But where it lacks is the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the many liberties they took.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is funny because this one you didn't have to take as many liberties like we with Rackhoum City. You're shoving two very different games together. You're gonna have to take liberties. They all don't work this one. They're this I don't want to say it was easier to adapt, but there's less characters.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's not many characters you have to work with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you honestly, you can eliminate one or two of them, and they probably should have eliminated well, to the point you could have just left out Eddie altogether because he resembles nothing of the game.
Speaker 4: Character had to reshoot the initial scene with Laura then, which I guess they didn't have time to do, because he's inserted into the initial meeting scene with Laura. Yeah, and then he runs away and to never be seen again.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought that was very bizarre. He also doesn't have his backwards hat nope. Yeah, oh sorry, just a little background here.
Speaker 2: This is the first.
Speaker 1: Time I'm going into one of these movies knowing the game story.
Speaker 2: I played the remake.
Speaker 4: That's cute.
Speaker 1: I got the James leaves town with Laura ending. What ending did you guys get?
Speaker 4: The bad one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the bad one where he commits suicide bea water Oh, the ending.
Speaker 1: That Christoph said was his favorite and that's why he chose to adapt it.
Speaker 4: That's bad ending. Yeah, but I didn't realize that the game we were really cultivating the bad ending because when I when I play games, I only heal when it's absolutely necessary. So half the game I'm James is like twenty five percent health. I'm like, I'm fine, I could take another hit. But apparently that's really bad in the game if you if he's not full health all the time, Apparently it's slowly building up this this like thing. It's only one of the factors. Okay, it's only one of the factors.
Speaker 2: But like Monica went left in the one area.
Speaker 4: No, you don't get took that easily. I do. I do melee and not heal a lot to save those health kits and bullets for you, So you should put them into the wall behind monsters later.
Speaker 3: I love playing these games. But I also panic a lot, so.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed the game.
Speaker 4: She has gotten to be a better shot, though, I will give her that's good. When we first started playing, she did be a monster front. She put at least seven of the bullets in the wall behind.
Speaker 2: I can't I do that now.
Speaker 4: Now she maybe misses once or twice.
Speaker 2: I think there was.
Speaker 1: One Monsters getting better at like ten shots.
Speaker 2: Could not get The thing was that I played.
Speaker 1: I was really playing Resident before last year, and I had like the sniper where he grabs the girl and I was like, oh, let me kill that guy shut her in the head. I'm like, no, that's the wrong I'm like what. I was impressed I got a headshot, but unfortunately.
Speaker 4: You know, we got to work on it, just making sure she relots before encounters so she doesn't start her next encounter with one bullet in the chamber.
Speaker 2: Well. I enjoyed the game.
Speaker 1: It was very atmosphere, very I liked it way better than Silent Hill f which we were just talking about, which that was the first one that I was playing, and I thought they.
Speaker 2: Were all like that.
Speaker 1: With breakable weapons and any combat system where I have to time a parry.
Speaker 2: It's not for me.
Speaker 4: Too many items too, Like I'm not Japanese, so I can't remember the fucking names of all the struggle.
Speaker 2: Is this the stamina one?
Speaker 4: Or is this just give me sanity? It's his help like and then there's like three different variants of it, and I'm like, I don't why why are there's so many items?
Speaker 2: I get it was.
Speaker 1: About her, like she had an arranged marriage and she didn't want to do with her parent.
Speaker 2: I get it, but like there were multiple times I'm like, why is she aware? Wolf? Now? I was so confused, silent.
Speaker 1: It was way more digestible, better combat, no breakable items or anything.
Speaker 4: Well, I never got the trending of Salon hill Aft because I didn't beat it enough.
Speaker 2: Time to do it, and I won't beat it enough.
Speaker 4: I've always meant to go on YouTube, be like, just tell me how this what what's going on? And I just never figured.
Speaker 2: I didn't even watch the thing.
Speaker 1: I just googled whatever the endings were. Uh so, yeah, I I have the story fresh in my mind and I was I was watching this. I'm like, I'm gonna be smart this time. I'm the expert. Look at me, I'm the expert.
Speaker 3: It's gonna work out, probably in your favor, because with a child, we had to watch this movie multiple times, and my brain's just not as fresh the movie lot of things already and now I was a baby.
Speaker 4: The movie was so bad that it was good, and it was so good bad that it looped around to being so bad. I'm so I wish you save this for the end, right.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about this movie?
Speaker 1: This is the one you know, people are saying that movies don't have colors anymore, Like every time there's a Disney movie, it's all muddy and stuff. Yeah, this is one movie that was allowed to be that. Yeah, open on the most colorful thing I've ever seen. And even when they're in Silent Hill, like there's bright arms, Just like, why is this very colorful when it doesn't have to be? And then these movies that are supposed to be colorful a look like muddy desaturated bullshit. But yeah, he's driving around, James.
Speaker 4: Yeah we have a douchebag James speeding round curve Mustang so true to the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who could forget his Mustang that he was driving around? But yeah, he almost hits the lumber truck. From final destination too. Uh, and he swerves out away, runs over Mary's suitcase that.
Speaker 3: Was also just kind of in the middle of the road already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why she left it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was weird, but yeah, they he runs over it and then like they can't piece it together in time.
Speaker 2: She's like, just leave bus driver.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I mean, if he could carry it on with you and you can try to fix it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't linger very long, like most bus drivers will be like, okay, I'll give you a minute, or like a couple of minutes, you know, maybe let other people off to use the bathroom that's right there. Yeah, and he's just She's just like, oh my god, it's not enough time.
Speaker 1: Just go like tape or bungeies, like like, bunge this together and get a fixed.
Speaker 4: I don't think the even stopped. The bushes kind of slowly rolled and then just kept going, like.
Speaker 2: You gotta get on, you gotta jump.
Speaker 3: I don't like silent Hill. Okay, we gotta going.
Speaker 4: Although that rest stop is true to the beginning of the game.
Speaker 1: Again, Yeah, the locations are almost spot on with this, which tricks you into thinking this is gonna.
Speaker 4: Be like the game, and they miss a great opportunity right in the beginning there to show you what you could see in the beginning of signing too. They should have just had a quick glimpse of a b in the back or like a like a cloth or something like. That's just a quick one, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the body in the back of his car, Now that would be weird.
Speaker 4: No, but that's what it is in the game. So like in the game, if you being in a game when yeah, the car, if you look in the back of his car, oh yeah, yeah, I know you could see her body. But they should have like did like they could have if they were doing things well, they could have just did a quick like brushover, not like make it obvious at it's air, but just like if you like, if you're just paying attention, you could see like.
Speaker 1: Something about this is where he just meets her. We're not at the I know, I'm okay, okay.
Speaker 4: I'm yes, Tony, you're jumping ahead. I'm not jumping ahead. This is this is the same point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the story.
Speaker 4: I know I'm saying they shouldn't know they.
Speaker 2: Should have in that one scene though, Yes, but yes. Here there they're having I'm.
Speaker 4: Telling the director how he should have directed his movie.
Speaker 2: You think you know better than the writer of The Crow twenty twenty four. Yes, okay, well that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this, uh, instead of just starting where it should have started, what you said, they were like, let's show them meaning so we can understand their love.
Speaker 3: Why he's going through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, then it.
Speaker 3: Gets art supplies in the back.
Speaker 4: Yes, was he an? I don't think they ever tell you. We could just pretend that he was an accountant.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to be like an everyman kind of person, and everyman can't do art Monica, he's johns Helen Hill.
Speaker 1: So they're having their met cute and then the sky gets all dark and she's like, that's a summer storm or something.
Speaker 4: This is not ominous at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That cuts to her drowning, and then cuts to him later, drunk off his ass ignoring his call his calls from his therapist, and he gets into a bar fight with a.
Speaker 4: Dude who is a therapist. Real.
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Is it a figment of his imagination?
Speaker 2: Guys, that's a very good question.
Speaker 3: I think it's supposed to be ambiguous of.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I was like I couldn't, I couldn't parse it, don't. I don't know who Sarah was supposed to be.
Speaker 1: You know how, what was his name, Harry or Henry in the first one, you know how that was like a studio mandate.
Speaker 2: That they needed to add like a character.
Speaker 1: Is this also a case of that where they're like, you need a female character other than the one girl.
Speaker 4: There is another female character that they chose not to incorporate very well.
Speaker 2: But they're all like played by the same lady though, like Angela. You're talking about Angela, Marie and Mary.
Speaker 4: Right Angela?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're all the same actress.
Speaker 4: Angela the same actress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're all the same actress. And I feel like that's something like you have to put another lady in there.
Speaker 4: No I knew, I knew Marie was I didn't piece together Angela was it. It just feels like.
Speaker 1: They just needed another actress in there. And I don't know why, because it amounts to nothing. There's like maybe a fake out, but you know it's not gonna.
Speaker 4: Get They could have spent that precious screen time making better choices for story direction with other people and.
Speaker 1: You're right about it not knowing if it's supposed to be real, because they're always filming her underneath like glass.
Speaker 3: Oh, like her desk is glad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm like, okay, that's trippy.
Speaker 1: But then later on it's just like so they feel her normally, like, oh, I guess that was just to be cool.
Speaker 4: I didn't catch it was.
Speaker 3: Weird because then also like when he's looking at his phone, it's like kind of like blurry to see like who's actually calling him? But I was like, I think maybe that's just because he was drunk. Yeah, Like my brain was trying to be like ooh, Like he's trying to say like maybe it's not really the therapist calling him, maybe it's somebody else calling him, and he thinks it's that, and it's like, no, he's probably drunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, she tells him like, hey, sober up and see me in the morning, and then he goes to his giant apartment.
Speaker 2: Artists of movies always have those giant gods.
Speaker 3: I don't know how they afford it.
Speaker 4: They need a lot of space for their paintings.
Speaker 2: I know, I guess.
Speaker 1: And he finds a letter and it's Mary asking him to go back to Silent Ill yep, because they had such a good time they lived there, which is different because in the game they vacation. In the game they were married and vacation there. Yeah, Here, they just dated and lived there.
Speaker 3: He moved in with her right away, yep.
Speaker 1: And he's like, all right, I'm going I'm gonna go, but the road is closed, and that's when he parks, this is where they should have had the body in the back or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they needed to do something more.
Speaker 1: Something to the in the story spoiler for the game story, he mercy kills her, Yeah, and then he like drives her to Silent Hill.
Speaker 4: Is it really a mercy killing as more as it is he's frustrated.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 3: Whole point of why he's in this purgatory is because.
Speaker 4: Well he feels guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I don't know. I don't think it was so much mercy, as he was more or less frustrated and tired of the being the caregiver for her, and then they would get into arguments about it because he felt like he was trapped.
Speaker 1: What I meant was it was mercy for him Okay, it was a mercy for him. He's like, I feel a lot better now. But yeah, so he's feeling guilty about doing all that. And then like the monsters there, like you know, like the sexy nurses. I think it was like him. He was looking at other nurses when she was in the hospital and everything, so they actually have a reason to be here. But like this movie goes into none of that, really goes into none of that.
Speaker 4: Really, it doesn't have time to because it wanted to do a different direction.
Speaker 1: Yes, but yeah, so he he gets out and he's like, all right, well I'm gonna go to silent On. As soon as he steps into the town, the ash falls down. But then they were like, wait, we got to explain the ash again, which I mean, you don't. He's just doing fog.
Speaker 4: Doesn't have to be asked, So you don't have to explain everything. You don't really don't everything. You can leave something up to the imagination or ambiguity and let people kind of decide for themselves what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Angela's there, Yeah, and she tells him that there were a bunch of forest fires recently and it made the water bad, and also there was a flood and she's getting like and bags and putting them on the edge of the cemetery. The only one taking care of it, which again played by the same actress. Now, Angela in the game was just like someone else who was in the town with her own Yeah.
Speaker 3: That she is her own, separate person in the video game. Yep, it's her own trauma.
Speaker 1: Which for some reason James has to deal with. Yeah, what do they call that creature? This it's called like the something Daddy.
Speaker 3: I forget what it's called exactly, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Got a very inappropriate name when you know what the backstory is, like, I would have called it.
Speaker 4: Well, from what I understood, he helps him. The reason he is helping them with their traumas because he feels guilty and he thinks that helping other people resolve their trauma will absolve him of what he's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Angela, I guess she was like abused by her dad and everything.
Speaker 4: Abuse is a nice way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's you toobe. They get weird when you say certain things, not me, not me.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was super abused.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was super abused by her dad, and James fights him and he's like a weird bed monster. And I feel like by making this the same action actress as Mary and this added dad element that we're gonna learn about Mary, I feel like they tried to merge Angela with her and try to use her dad's story into this new thing. And as we talk about it, you're gonna realize it doesn't work at all.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work. I get what they were going for, but it doesn't work. So yeah, she's like, hey, you know, if you you can always come back here if you can't find what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: And then he walks. This is gonna be a common thing in this film.
Speaker 2: James walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well specifically James is walking onto an obvious green screen.
Speaker 2: Looks really bad. Ye, looks really bad and enough, Yeah, he's not. He looks at that map once he's like, got it.
Speaker 4: I needed him to be checking his map every three minutes.
Speaker 3: That's right, Hill in version.
Speaker 4: I don't care he has. It's been a long time since he's been there.
Speaker 3: That's why they moved him to the town is because they're like, we can't have him checking his map every.
Speaker 4: Five steps he takes. I want to see him pulling out a map.
Speaker 1: They did do it well in the first one where she keeps going up to the street corners looking at it. Yeah, and then he's constantly having flashbacks to him with Mary.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: They're just hanging out in front of the church and he's just got a giant painting of her face just off to the side, and they're like, we're in love. Isn't that great? And then he walks past the Silent Hills sign Silent Hill, that's the movie. We're watching credits title sequence of it, coming behind the mountains because they're trying to look.
Speaker 2: Like Evil Dead Rise.
Speaker 1: I know what you were doing there. We're trying to do the Evil Dead Rise thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's like, Okay, well, I guess I'm here. Now we get some cool overhead camera stuff. Not as cool as the first movie, but at least he tries to get like creative with the camerangles like he did in the original film. Oh, and he like tries to go down a street and it's blocked off with all that scaffolding and everything, which again is like the at least the remake.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that looks again ripped right out of the game.
Speaker 1: He follows the sound of music to a tunnel and he finds a cryptic message homeless guy.
Speaker 4: You don't remember homeless guy from the game.
Speaker 2: I don't recall homeless guy going.
Speaker 1: Rah, there's monsters. Ah, look at my radio. And he's like, well, that's nice, homeless guy. I'm gonna go into that place over there.
Speaker 4: Man knows there's monsters in town. Out in the open.
Speaker 1: Yees therapist calls again and she's like, hey, you missed your appointment. He's like, shut up, lady, up in silent Hill, I'm looking for.
Speaker 4: Mey, shut up, fake glass lady.
Speaker 1: And while he goes into the place, Heaven's night, the Armless Monster shows up. But don't look as good as they did last time.
Speaker 4: No, they did not. I that was actually one of the first things I thought to him, like, they looked way better, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're definitely thinner.
Speaker 1: I think they're more feminine this I think they are women in this one where they were called Armless Man and.
Speaker 4: A game for women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just I'm used to the other movie versions, but this one was they're a little too pale.
Speaker 2: They kind of blend in with the background a little too much.
Speaker 4: I love that they are No, wait, we're not there yet.
Speaker 2: You know what monsters they should have done. The ones that are all just legs.
Speaker 4: Oh they're the mannequin ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those scared the shit out of me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They would always hype on the corners. Yeah, it always catch you, and I'd always be so careful. I know, like, I know there's one behind his corner, and it would still get me.
Speaker 1: My favorite, though, is when you actually find them but you don't trigger them yet. You walk into the room and I saw one that was there and I'm like, oh, I see you bloading.
Speaker 2: Oh you're not kidding me, I felt.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: It only happened a couple of times where I caught them, but I didn't move close enough to trigger the animation.
Speaker 2: I was able to take him out. Yeah, I feel like those guys should have been in this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they should have.
Speaker 1: Maybe not so much the giant arm guy underneath the thing. You didn't really need him.
Speaker 4: But I think they spent their entire on a caked up monster.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to talk about this finer lady.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So.
Speaker 1: He goes into this club and he flashes back to a party that took place there where Mary introduces him to witches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by the way, no clubs in town. Immediate next shot club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have at the call it out and she's like, there's no clubs or art places at bars or anything here.
Speaker 2: They must vote, but.
Speaker 4: There's no museum. So clubs end game goes to museum, goes to club. But the this club that's in there is the strip club in the game.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, weird it wasn't a strip club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again it game is a strip club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that whole section. Now I should replay that game you played on stream. I played it.
Speaker 1: It's one of the few games I played off It's a great game because I wanted to like be like invested in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is when we realize that there's like they're talking about Mary's mom or Mary's family and how they helped build the town. And it's clear like this is like a cult thing like the first movie, but has nothing.
Speaker 2: To do with the game. We're doing that and I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: So I have them I notes flashback to a party in the club with weirdos not.
Speaker 3: In the game, but like there is a cult element in the games, yes, but it comes like.
Speaker 4: In the third but we don't need it in this We.
Speaker 3: But trying to say like it doesn't exist at all, like there.
Speaker 2: Is, Oh, yeah there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not arguing that there isn't. I'm where there is. But we took so much precious time way from Eddie.
Speaker 2: We really need Edie Edie that much.
Speaker 4: I don't just.
Speaker 2: Well that that see where they're running through like the meat the storage.
Speaker 4: Locker and shooting each other Eddie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't want to see that.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, He's like, we took so much pressuous time away from Eddie.
Speaker 4: It was a joke.
Speaker 1: It was a joke, but that flashback gets cut short because Armless Zombie shot acid all over that poor homeless guy and it's shooting acid everywhere, and then James bunks it on the head and then it's like ah, then it runs into a sewer, like oh, I didn't really put up much of.
Speaker 3: One thing like with the games they do like go hide under the cars.
Speaker 2: Yes, I yeah, I did like that. It actually got on its legs and wingled around.
Speaker 1: But you were going through that little like town, like the street with all the townhouses and they're running in the backyard that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he takes the homeless.
Speaker 1: Guys radio because that alerts you to danger when he gets all staticky.
Speaker 4: They didn't really explain how he made the connection, that that's how that works. Like, it didn't feel like there was any reason for him to make that sort of connection pick it up and take it with him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it only happened once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how would he have known? How would he know? Why would why is it any reason to pick up this radio? He has no No one told him. Yeah, he has no idea.
Speaker 2: How does he figure it out in the game? Does he just?
Speaker 4: I forget? Yeah, they do introduce it though.
Speaker 2: It makes more sense in a game, but yeah, for this, isn't.
Speaker 4: There a note with a radio?
Speaker 2: Maybe somebody leaves to play it again? But yeah, I forget.
Speaker 1: I thought that was funny that he's like, I'm just gonna take this. It'd probably be important later. But yeah, he takes it, and then uh, the siren starts to blare and the darkness starts to spread from him, and we look at the background. There's more armless zombies making their way to him, and.
Speaker 2: Let me see here. Oh, we get rats and then we.
Speaker 1: Get more baby beetles. Remember there was a baby beetle in the first movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're back.
Speaker 4: I think I blacked out a little bit during this scene because I was so uninterested in it.
Speaker 1: And then the Beatles eat the zombies. I don't know why they just eat the zombies. I did like when he goes into the I forget what that area was, but he shuts like, oh, the apartment building. He shuts the glass door and they're like all on it. That was pretty cool, and then it zooms up with their faces screen. Yeah. Very rarely this movie will get like the creepy imagery from the previous film, the first film. He like mimics that because there were some really creepy shots in that first one. Yeah, but not enough, not enough. And that's like the biggest problem with this film is that there's just no scares at all. None of it is creepy or terrifying. The effects aren't as good.
Speaker 4: They're not. I remember when I was playing the second game. After playing it for so long, I'd have to like stop because like my anxiety was just.
Speaker 2: Like it was a creepy game to play it.
Speaker 4: It was my anxiety was building, and I'm like I just need a break from walking around all this creepy shit that's jumping out of me all the time Pyramid had chasing me or whatever. Yeah, I just need an anxiety break.
Speaker 2: Also, I screw you read it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how to beat the Pyramid heads at the end, and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, and I like was looking up like how to beat and they said, oh, it's just like the first encounter. You just gotta wait. You gotta just wait out the time that person lied.
Speaker 4: Oh I just unloaded all my AMMO into them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's what you're supposed to do. That's what I learned. But I just ran in the circle for twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Waiting for She's like, what is this guy doing?
Speaker 2: And I learned you do have to hit them.
Speaker 1: Maybe you hit him enough times, it'll trigger like a thing. I'm just like, god damn, because I kept getting killed over and over again. Anyway, So yeah, he uh, he sees a ghost lady and he has a flashback of moving into his apartment with Mary.
Speaker 2: You're right, he did move in just like right away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't really establish the timeline, but it seemed pretty fast.
Speaker 2: You never even asked where she was supposed to be going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like she was leading the town. And then they're like, okay, never mind, we're going to go south at Hill.
Speaker 4: And she gave up so easily. She's like, I guess I'll just go back. I guess I'll just go back to the death Cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there really wasn't. It wasn't like the colt was chasing her down yet or anything.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'll go I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: Well, you hit my suitcase. I guess I have nothing else for.
Speaker 1: Uh So, yeah, he's walking around and then, uh, the TV hurts his brain.
Speaker 2: I forget what was playing on the TV. I think it was just static static.
Speaker 1: It might have shown him something, because sometimes in the game he plays stuff on TV and it'll see glimpses of what he did. But his rain hurts and he calls his therapists and she's like, why are you in Silent Hill. Mary's dead, you asshole, and get out of there.
Speaker 2: Uh I did.
Speaker 1: This was a creepy moment where it cuts to the outside of the apartment and you see that there's someone upstairs.
Speaker 2: You see a shadow. It ends up being a mannequin covered in mouth.
Speaker 1: But like that first visual like, oh, that's creepy, Like that's actually creepy. Why can't I get more stuff like that? And then this is when the therapist gets a new camerangle and we realize that she might be a real person, and she's like, I need a wellness check on James Sutherland please, And they're like is he dangerous?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, she's really.
Speaker 4: Drunk, drunk, you might have some paintbrushes on him.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: He goes upstairs, he finds the mannequin that's covered in moths and Mary's dress, and then he flashes back to coming home one day in his apartment to see Mary with the cult.
Speaker 3: It's a really big ass apartment. It is like what the whole cult is? I don't know how many people are in this court.
Speaker 4: There's a lot.
Speaker 2: I yeah, yeah, it's like, well there's more later on, but here it was like ten.
Speaker 4: Or fifteen a club in that apartment. So yeah, and they're.
Speaker 2: All just like in the thing staring at her. It's weird.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the fuck? And I'm sitting here and I'm just this is when I start googling. I'm like, did I miss something in the games? Did I was there a connection that I was unaware of? But yeah, he tells her. He's like, uh, your friends are weird. It's like they're weird. I don't like him. And he's like, ohso you're shrine to your creepy dad who looks like every bad guy ever is also weird.
Speaker 2: Lady.
Speaker 4: Any normal person would have seen what he just saw and be like that, Mount'm out. This is weir, this is this is There are so many red flags right here. I'm out. But he is very quick to be like, no, I love you.
Speaker 3: She's his mus Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, they call her that. They directly call her that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but we've been together a long time. If I ever up off the closet and there's this weird, creepy shrine in there, I'm out.
Speaker 1: If it's a shrine of your dad looking scary. If you woke up and it's Uncle.
Speaker 4: Joe, I'm not sticking around for you to kill me. It sacrificed me to some.
Speaker 1: God with his hands around you, I'd be like like, hell out there.
Speaker 4: Yet, you have to know that there's something wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Look, as someone who's dating experience has mostly been girls with daddy issues.
Speaker 2: I've never had.
Speaker 1: I've never run into a lady who had a shrine of their creepy dad behind a metal gate with a weird design that i'd be out to.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, I'm sorry. This is new daddy issue territory that I am not ready for.
Speaker 3: I didn't experience this one yet, and I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I thought I was prepared. I'm not for It's weird.
Speaker 4: And then, you know, I think back to my childhood when I used to watch Hey Arnold and Helga would have a gum shrying of like Arnold in her cousin. That was so Now look back and I'm like, that's so weird.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Speaking of daddy issues, I got choked by a girl at the bar on Father's thing willingly. No, No, she was just very She yelled at her cousin for an hour and she got hammered and she groped the guy who was on karaoke, and I was just like, wow, that girl's annoying. Hope she doesn't come over here. And then I'm on my phone and I see this arm come around.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh no, it was bad. I had to like film it because I thought a fight was gonna break out. It was nuts that girl was having a bad She would not let me go. I'm like, lady, please let me.
Speaker 1: You see in the video I sent it to like old people are like, wow, it's funny. You actually never seen you actually concerned because I'm like kind of giggling, and I'm like, no, really, you need to let go, you need to let go. She probably has a shrine of her, creepy staring at her.
Speaker 4: You could have reversed on her and said harder.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'll show you the video afterwards. That would have worked out bad for me.
Speaker 4: Maybe you could reverse creeper out.
Speaker 2: I do love that. That's a Star Wars meting with Darth Vader do it as a stormtrooper and harder. So yeah, he's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't like Eddie of this, and then cut back to where he is now. He finds a paper for a hospital and then he finds Eddie throwing up in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Eddie who.
Speaker 1: For a minute, I'm like, wait, is this just the guy who plays James but in a fat suit because they kind of looked alike, and I'm wondering if they were going for that idea, if they made Angela and Marie and all the same birds, Like, what if all.
Speaker 2: The men were all James. So this guy looks like if the.
Speaker 3: Actor pyramid Head.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, yeah yeah, But I thought, this looks like if you got the guy who played James and you just like he just let himself go for like a couple of years.
Speaker 1: But then I'm guessing James. Irvine was like, how dare you? I was in Mama Mia, here we go again. I'm not gonna wear a fat suit and okay, we'll get a different choppy.
Speaker 2: And the fakest beard.
Speaker 4: I said that when he came out there, I'm like, that beard looks so bad. Oh my god. You can see the glue on the beard.
Speaker 2: It was rough. It was rough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Eddie, uh he So Eddie was a guy who got like bullied, right, and it's implied that he killed someone.
Speaker 2: No, what happened to him?
Speaker 4: Shot a dog, He shot a dog and shot the bully and the knee.
Speaker 1: And shot the bully of the knee right right, and then ran away and then ran away to Silent Hill. Uh So none of that really gets explained here, but here he likes living in Silent Hill. He's like, I love living here by myself. There's no assholes, no one's being mean to me, no one's bullying me. But like Eddie in the game looked like he was like a team like high school, I throatly looked a well, he looked like a really tall beef high schooler.
Speaker 2: I knew guys in high school that looked like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like college age maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think, I think because his clothes were like too small for him, and he looked very slobbingly. Yeah, like it made maybe appear a little older to me.
Speaker 1: For well, I guess, I guess it was implied he was still supposed to be young. I mean, he was wearing a backwards hat. Who does that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who does that? Thank god my brother in law doesn't watch this show. Who does that?
Speaker 4: Who can't find hats and backwards anymore?
Speaker 1: They like come find I know, no matter how hard I look for him. But yeah, here, it's just like just like a different like mid thirties to forty guys like people are mean to me. It's like, get over it, buddy. Try talking about movies on the internet. You'll see what bullying is.
Speaker 4: And we have a lot of meaningful character developments here. Yeah, the only character that surely will get closure on later.
Speaker 1: Again, they should have worked at it, where like Eddie's like another dark part of.
Speaker 2: James.
Speaker 1: That's the whole thing, wasn't it Like one part of the game, like they find like all the people Eddie is killed.
Speaker 2: And they're all James. It's like he's killed them multiple times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Yeah, there's a bunch of James in the cold locker where you go in there and all the way up.
Speaker 1: But even like like even like in the theater, I think he was like I had to protect myself, but it's always James's body with the head just somewhat obscured, and James never thinks to go like who is this?
Speaker 4: Well, every conversation in the game two is also uncomfortable and awkward and slow. Yes, they would talk yeah like this for a while, and then they would respawn very slowly.
Speaker 2: Here's the credit of the movie.
Speaker 1: This is not good for a regular movie, but for a video game adaptation. Some of their line delivery and awkward dialogue does feel.
Speaker 2: Like a video game. In this movie, you like you know what, feels very much like video.
Speaker 4: The acting was so bad it felt like a badly programmed video game.
Speaker 1: But even good video games have awkward dialogue like that, and the movie was almost exactly like.
Speaker 2: They're not good for a movie, but accurate.
Speaker 4: I love in video games when it's not programmed to have them interrupt each other. So they'll have a sentence and then they'll end the sentence and there's a pause and then interrupt them. It's like, if you're gonna do that, just don't. If you can't program or I just don't do it. It just it kills me every time.
Speaker 1: I wonder why that is has something to do with like all the different languages they have to this is the same animation for every language.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you just ask GPT.
Speaker 1: I don't talk to robots now. I use gro because I already pay for pre Twitter, so.
Speaker 4: As you google it anyways.
Speaker 1: Ex premium all right, Sea Eddie loves Silent Hill. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: There's monsters everywhere, but he loves it.
Speaker 1: No bullies, there's no bullies. There's armless people shooting ass. So if you're alone, if you don't bump into anyone else in Silent Hill, you only see like monsters that are specific to you.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's implied, Yeah, unless you are sharing the trauma of somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was what James does. Yeah, okay, so what does Eddie usually see? Just don't think he's also churning, he shows his skin. He's like turning into a monster.
Speaker 4: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Eddie would sake because I think he's not gonna let go of his trauma. He's holding onto the trauma and it's starting to manifest into turning him into a monster.
Speaker 2: He will become a spooky scary monster.
Speaker 3: Yescome some sort of spooky scary monster.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha? And then they find Laura.
Speaker 3: Little girl.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they're like, hey, little girls.
Speaker 1: Hanging out in the side of all well, it sounds like a baby crying, and then it's Laura.
Speaker 2: That confuse me, right, I.
Speaker 1: Forgot about the baby tal that's like a literal zombie baby.
Speaker 4: It's horrible.
Speaker 1: Soa in the game was like a girl. She was an orphan at the hospital that Mary was at. Yeah, and I guess Mary would occasionally complain about.
Speaker 2: James to a little girl for some reason.
Speaker 3: She was dying of cancer, I guess.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, they never really tell you what it is that she's dying of. It's like.
Speaker 3: Cancer.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's cancer. She has a terminal illness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so that's why, like Mary doesn't really like James in the game. Lara, Yeah, Lara doesn't really like James in the game. But also, like Lara seems fine in the game. I don't think she's seeing all the.
Speaker 2: Monsters or anything.
Speaker 3: She's not.
Speaker 2: She's not.
Speaker 1: That's why she seems fine. She's never phased by anything. She doesn't have any like trauma or anything. Really, I guess she's an orphan, but not really.
Speaker 4: I mean, she's just went around in an abandoned town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 1: But here they made her look like scary ghost girl with the zombie baby, and I'm like, all right, I don't think we really got it here because they changed it to where she's yeah, the big revelation at the end. Yeah, they try to help her, but then they hear someone coming and then Eddie is just like, oh, you woke him up, and it's like who, And then I think James calls him an asshole. He's like, did you call me an asshole? And then Eddie walks out of the movie, runs out of it again, never to be seen again.
Speaker 4: Probably off to shoot another dog.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then we get to see pyramid Head with his new design, which is closer to the game design. But I kind of liked it better in the movies. I like the big point at the end. And he probably just got done his shift at the carousel. Oh yeah, probably just got done his shift there, you know, in between his job at the prison where he chops arms off, we.
Speaker 3: Learned, and he sometimes goes to that burger place.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, he's very busy, we learned in the last movie. A Pyramidhead has so many jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's going back to his apartment to sleep, and these guys are making all kinds.
Speaker 4: Of and they they the director really made sure from the very very beginning that you know the pyramid Head is James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine for us who know no mystery.
Speaker 4: It's like every turn it to the point where like he's in the studio he's painting pyramids. Yeah, she's like, like, okay, we get it.
Speaker 1: Later on it comes more blatant. Yeah, later on it's it sucks later on where they spell at al for you. I'm like, we already know. You showed him in the helmet. There's like a whole in Pyramidhead's helmet and they zoom in you see James's face. It's like, all right, well, you're letting us know ahead of time. And then later on the movie they're like, isn't the shock You're like, no, you already told us.
Speaker 4: You told us three times already.
Speaker 1: No one was shocked on who, no one was surprised who was under the helmet. They're like, oh, yeah it was James.
Speaker 2: Pyramidhead looks cool.
Speaker 1: He's like normal sized in this, which is I guess more game accurate, But that first movie he felt like gigantic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he wasn't towering over you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think in the original he wasn't also towering. They just made him bigger in the movie.
Speaker 4: His helmet was just bigger.
Speaker 2: No, he was, No, he was.
Speaker 1: Way Remember his hand it was like the size of the girl's chest and he ripped all the stuff.
Speaker 4: Off oh the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like, I get that they made this more like the game, but I kind of.
Speaker 4: Like the yeah in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So this one, it just kind of feels like you're at a convention and someone's walking around with one of those big helmets, but I think the effect is fine, the makeup effect compared to some other makeup effects. We'll see it look fine. Like he's headbutting the bars, although he grunts and growls a lot. I don't remember him making sounds in the game, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't remember making any sounds, but in.
Speaker 2: This movie he's like, oh, sounds are just his sword being dragged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a It kind of reminds me if you go back and like watch like the early Jason movies he is like grunting and stuff and then he just stops.
Speaker 4: Later on, I think it's more menacing when he's silent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, he uh he chases James and then James runs into a naked spider lady who's caked up and her boobs are eyes. Why it was I don't remember this being in the game. I remember there was some stuff that was kind of like this, but not this.
Speaker 4: There was like sometimes there were multiple mannequins together that were like spider like but it was but none of them had any cake.
Speaker 3: But there is the one scene where like, and I guess they're trying to recreate it here in this movie where James does go into like he's in hiding out in the apartment and he stumbles upon Like the joke is people always think it's like peerid heads fucking the mannequins.
Speaker 2: That's what it looked like to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be okay, like maybe because it's like him using her as for her body. Yeah, but I think that's what they're trying to go for. But they're like, we gotta make it a little sexier somehow.
Speaker 2: You gotta make this man here's This is what shocked me because it is like a spider lady. Why would they put a CGI spider lady in this when the last movie had a terrifying, terrible looking CGI spider person. Why why it even does the thing where it touches the head and the head starts screaming just like the last movie.
Speaker 3: I wonder, since Chris Soften do the second one, if this was like his revenge of being like, fuck that spider lad movie. She's gonna get killed by Pyramid has this one.
Speaker 1: And someone should have just said, hey, chrisp don't remember that movie. Don't remember that movie except for three assholes in a video store somewhere they remember it, but no one else. But yeah, the spider thing chases him around. He hides in a closet. Peermidhead. I guess they didn't want him like assaulting the spider lady, so he basically puts her on the table.
Speaker 2: It just punches her butt. He's just punching.
Speaker 1: I don't know even know if the actor knew he was doing that, because it's like a digital spider that he's punching.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was fucking dying laughing last night, like, wait what it jingles and everything?
Speaker 2: We can't show it.
Speaker 1: I would just say the whole movie's worth it just see Pearmdhead punch a butt.
Speaker 3: I feel like we should have gotten something else that could mimic those physics somehow. This is what it's like.
Speaker 1: And then he kills it, and then this is the sea where James hide in the closet and Pyramidhead comes up to, which, when playing the game, reminds me of that whole thing felt like a reference to David Lynch's Blue Velvet.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see Blue Velvet? Spoiler for Blue Velvet?
Speaker 1: But Kyle McLaughlin is hiding in a closet when the bad guy Dennis Hoppers like in the apartment looking for him, and he comes like right up to the closet and gets his head blown off, which I think in the game he shoots Pyramidhead when he comes up to the thing, but he doesn't have a gun in this movie. Instead, Pyramidhead just like breaks in and then stares at him, and then the siren hurts both their heads because they're the sick. And then the darkness fades and he finds Angela in a room and she's just there to remind you that she's there, but.
Speaker 4: She yells, is so deep with this character.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, she's there with her knife looking in the mirror.
Speaker 4: I mean in the game she did have that knife. Yeah, But James like, give me the knife, give me the knife.
Speaker 1: But she's like just telling him she's like wasting her his time there or something, and she's like, I face so many.
Speaker 2: Terrors blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And he's like, okay, well that's nice. Bye Angela. And then he finds Lara again.
Speaker 2: She says she knows Mary, yeah, and then he.
Speaker 1: Chases her to Rosewater Park and loses her in amaze A lot of mazes in this It was in a game too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it felt like I mean, it didn't look.
Speaker 3: The same though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they're yeah, they're not the same. But I kind of drew the conclusion myself that that's what they were going for. And it felt like.
Speaker 1: Hell Raiser too, the Big Labyrinth, And this is like a weird thing where like they just reveal that Maria is already there, like he chased her, and then we see Maria walking down the street. Yeah, and then it's like a big thing where he meets her. I'm like, why do we get that weird shot? Like, I don't know, it's felt this is awkward editing there. But he finds her and she looks exactly like Mary. But also Angela did too, and I don't know why he didn't piece that.
Speaker 4: Together Jamie Real Ramona Flowers vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that wig wasn't really doing her anything.
Speaker 2: Looks right out of the game though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did copy her outfit pretty.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, just not her personality very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't really feel like the one from the game. But yeah, he struggles to answer questions about Mary. He's like, my girlfriend, she's maybe in a hospital.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: She's like, what the fuck so she's really not your girlfriend, like she should have seen the red flags from James.
Speaker 4: You seem normal at first, but maybe I'm not so sure now, Maybe i should just go else and in the town.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she's like, you're the first normal person I've seen in like six weeks. Like, how's she been showering and applying her makeup for six weeks?
Speaker 2: Which he calls out.
Speaker 1: He's like, look pretty good for six weeks here, probably because she can't say, Oh, I'm just like a manifestation in your mind.
Speaker 2: I'm not real.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they they hide from another armless zombie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, poorly, might I add, Yeah, they're.
Speaker 2: Just we're just gonna hide in front of the truck and it's coming around.
Speaker 4: And it walks past them, right, and then they have no urgins he to get away. I'm like, that thing just has to turn around and see you and then that's it. But they just so they just so nonchalantly, they just get up and move along clearly in line of sight of this monster.
Speaker 1: Well it doesn't have eyes, I mean, how does it know where everything else is when we're gonna go down that route? But look, they don't have time to do all that. We got to do another flashback of him in the town when it was occupied, and he stalks Mary and the cult.
Speaker 2: I did like that. He has to move a garbage dumpster.
Speaker 4: But we had to shove this supremely epic looking hospital for a small town, this monument of a hospital. Have you seen this thing?
Speaker 2: Wait, we're there at the hospital yet. No, we're not at the hospital. That's when the hospital, right, No, no, no, this is we're talking about the flashback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but don't they show the hospital in the flashback?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: No, am I thinking the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: I think you're thinking the wrong thing.
Speaker 3: I think you're skipping ahead in flashbacks.
Speaker 4: Always when you watch a movie, and they gather in my head.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this is when he's following her in the past. Okay, but then he loves her and he has to move a big garbage dumpster, which I thought was funny. Oh yes, because you have to do that a lot in the game. And he goes into the town's sewer system.
Speaker 4: I'm back on track. I know where we're at.
Speaker 2: And then and then it cuts. Okay, this is why you got confused, because then it cuts, and then we're back in the present.
Speaker 1: Then they go to the hospital. Yeah, for a minute, I thought it was it jumps back and forth. It's actually kind of annoying, it is.
Speaker 4: The hospital just really stood out to me as being like this magnificent structure.
Speaker 2: It's huge, it's gidianic, and then all the stretchers are just outside. I thought that was funny.
Speaker 4: It just looks like a billion dollar hospital in a small town.
Speaker 1: Do you think there was some like really you know how like resident Evil to that police station. It's the most amazing looking thing ever, like it used to be a museum, like, Okay, at least there's some bullshit excuse for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they go to the Brook Hospital.
Speaker 1: Then they find a tape player with Mary talking to her doctor, and then Maria brings up the colt with the last name Crane.
Speaker 2: Uh, and then we.
Speaker 1: Go back to the past because the doctor was like, they've been giving you this thing. We see they give her some kind of poison or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's been slowly killing her, so it's like a poison that Yeah, although if you're taking a poison for that long, you would have built up an immunity, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: I I guess it depends on the poison. I don't know, I guess it it's magic.
Speaker 1: So they give so the colt gives her poison and then she starts bleeding.
Speaker 3: She bleeds like from everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't understand that. I'm like, they had to smear the blood on her, right.
Speaker 2: And then they all like drink her blood.
Speaker 3: Like they're sucking on her and everything.
Speaker 1: And then James is yelling at her and no one's acknowledged, no one can hear him.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on here, but.
Speaker 4: So why would the path he went down lead him behind like this super great and not into the main room that they're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was weird, But I honestly think he just put the cult stuff in here for people who only watched the movie and didn't play the games like the first movie, like the cold stuff, and he's like, oh, this one will also have a cult thing that will add there. And I'm like this was so unneeded. No one needed this, no one. It doesn't even tie directly to the first movie. So if people did only watch the first movie and they cared about it, this isn't satisfying for them. And then people played the games, They're like, what the fuck why is this even in here?
Speaker 4: I think trying to have flashback to explain the real trauma of how they even got to this point would have been more meaningful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't understand what was so bad about him being like, oh, she had a terminal illness and I felt guilty about it and I was frustrated and what I mean that's like realistic, it happens turning it into the cult was poisoning her for evil magic and like this feels like the and there's.
Speaker 3: No explanation of what is the outcome of this? No, like why do they do it? Like why are they going to live forever? Are they going to get all their dreams come true? Like that's never touched on.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but like got to suck on a woman? Yeah, I mean who doesn't. But you know, actually you solve the movie's problem, right ten stars like share subscribe, but no, because they take again the game as ridiculous as it is with naked armless zombies and big I don't know, big gorilla things and there's weird shit in that game. But the whole thing of like feeling conflicted about a loved one who's sick and then feeling frustrated over it because it goes on for that is relatable.
Speaker 1: Changing it to a cult is doing this for evil demon magic. It makes it unrelatable and you kind of lose what was good about the game. Not saying you have to be like a game and an adaptation, but what you replaced it with.
Speaker 2: Was not good.
Speaker 4: We you don't make Silent Hill too and not make a Silent Hill too.
Speaker 2: So it's it's bizarre that they added this element to it.
Speaker 4: And again, it's not like he had to wait for the game to come out. He has source material from the original one.
Speaker 2: He likes the game, that's the weird thing.
Speaker 4: Clearly he doesn't because this was an abortion of.
Speaker 2: Weird thing. Like, I guess he wanted to make this. He's the writer. I can see if he didn't write it and he didn't have a lot of control over the script, but he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe he like hit his head and he has like brain damage if he thought that this was would be good. Like, I can't fathom somebody being a fan of Silent Hill too and then doing what he did. Yeah, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: It just breaks the whole thing.
Speaker 4: It just doesn't if you're a fan of something, and I'm a fan of a lot of games, I'm sure there are a lot of other people who a fan of many different games. And I always see the same criticism every time these movies come out. It just in the game, Like, all I want to do is they just want to see the game in movie for him, And it's apparently this is an impossible task for a lot of people who do game of adaptation.
Speaker 1: Well, the good how you get around that is adapt a game that has like no fucking story.
Speaker 2: That's why I love the Twisted Metal series.
Speaker 4: It was actually really good, though it's just like.
Speaker 2: What story from the game.
Speaker 1: There's no like consistent story in those fucking games. It depends on who you're playing, like that's fun. Mortal Kombat got a little carried away with its lore and that's why their adaptations or whatever.
Speaker 2: All of the new ones, well, the.
Speaker 4: Lord got pretty crazy. The new one was so crazy they like we should reboot it, and then they're rebooted again.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the new the new movie was awesome. Wortal Combat too.
Speaker 1: Someone who hated the previous one, I was shocked at how well it was. But yeah, I feel like if you do you gotta just have to do a fucking game that has no story and then just have fun.
Speaker 4: Twisted Metal was enjoyable. It was good.
Speaker 1: The married the New Mario movies are okay, they're fine, shut up.
Speaker 2: Anyway. So yeah, he he doesn't like any of that.
Speaker 1: And the tape player says like, hey, uh, this is killing you. You probably shouldn't have been taking this drug for so long.
Speaker 4: Look that makes you bleed. But then in the hospital flag.
Speaker 1: In the hospital, the siren starts up again, and then the fucking darkness comes from his hand.
Speaker 2: It spreads everywhere that the rust world. Is that what they call it?
Speaker 4: People refer to it.
Speaker 2: They said it was the darkness in the movie, so I'm just going by that. In the first movie, they call.
Speaker 4: It the darkness. If you played, people are for tuning the game.
Speaker 2: Well, well listen, listen. They run to a room with all the nurses.
Speaker 4: I want to argue about this a little bit more.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's hitting his head. The lights are falling off. You know it's funny.
Speaker 3: But you hit your head and it made the lights come back.
Speaker 4: Well, let me know if I need to just whack it in my head.
Speaker 1: The weird thing is I think the episode that's coming out after this we Also those lights are only glitching when I'm talking about horror movies. I stay down here all day long, no light issue, every review, no light issue. The last two horror movies I review. Suddenly that light's freaking out. Anyway, they get to the room with all the nurses, and then the nurses come to life and chase them, and they don't look as good as the first movie.
Speaker 4: No, A lot less sexy, A.
Speaker 2: Lot less sexy, and now they're porcelain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was weird. Some of their faces were open and porous. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also I was very confused and like the one nurse starts like the banging of the pots or like whatever she has like a pipe or something, And I'm like, but that's how they start killing each other because they hear the sounds. Yeah, the other movie and this one. She's just like, all right, guys, let's go wow dinner time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like they don't. They don't hunt based off sound. They could just find the game they sound. Yeah, and that was the weird part.
Speaker 4: And then they run to an elevator and he's hitting this button to go down, Like, clearly there's no power in the elevator, so what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 1: He has he he has an old boy moment where he's gonna fight them all with like a weapon in a hallway. I did like that shot of them, what that awkward white shot of them like just skipping toward him. But then he's just bunking them on the head. Again it's porcelain.
Speaker 2: It was cooler when they bloodshot out of them and everything.
Speaker 4: And then Marie zero survival instinct to just stand there watched it came up and get stats.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: This might be a case where like, yeah, I guess he doesn't want to like repeat himself too much because he did such a good nurse scene in the first movie, and he's like, well, I I kind of have to do a nurse scene again in this movie. But yeah, the scenario that I imagine we already did, so now I gotta do something different. It's just mandated I need the sexy nurses in this and this is what he came up with. They chase it down the hallway and he bunks them on that head. I'm like, this is this is really a big left down.
Speaker 4: Actually, I feel like the scene could have been improved to by maybe having like the lights flicker that way, like when he goes to the elevator, it would seem like there might be a semblance of power, so what he's doing doesn't seem absolutely fucking insane.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Marie gets stabbed.
Speaker 4: Maria Maria or Maria.
Speaker 2: Maria gets stabbed and they get away. He treats her wound and she says like, hey, I know what.
Speaker 4: It's video gat to.
Speaker 3: Like you could be like sliced in half and then as long as you get your healing whatever else you had.
Speaker 2: I was just shot. Let me get some greener. I'm all better.
Speaker 4: I love the Resident Evil seven. You're getting shot stabbed and it's like on the hand, put the thing on your hand. It's like, ah.
Speaker 1: Freaking Ethan had limbs cut off and he just poured liquid. He's like, I'm all better now. So she's like, I know I look like Mary because the way you look at me, I must look like her. And she's like, promise me if you don't find her, we'll leave together. And he's just like, yeah, I'll think about it.
Speaker 4: Nothing to her. He just turns around and walks the funk away.
Speaker 2: I remember in the game, isn't She's just like, I'm tired. I'm gonna go sleep in this room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a jail celler or something like.
Speaker 2: That, something like that.
Speaker 1: I think it was the hospital, but it looked like a jail cell Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think she's like, oh no, no, you're right. She was in a room. She was in a room.
Speaker 2: But then he finds Lara, who has.
Speaker 4: The dirtiest bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, he finds Laura, who has the baby that's just screaming, and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck is this? It's cute, but she tells him.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, you left Mary and he's like, wait, what, I'm doing this all for her? It's like you don't like her that much.
Speaker 4: I thought it was going to be a metaphor like they had a baby and they like abandon it or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the baby imagery is weird in this way.
Speaker 1: It made more sense for the first movie is like the mother and daughter and everything.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering if it had, like if they had some more of a cult storyline and then involve the baby.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if wondering if like earlier drafts lean more into the cult stuff, and then they removed it to be more like the game, but there was just too much of a.
Speaker 4: Well, they removed some Eddie scenes.
Speaker 1: Apparently, if they removed all of it, release the Eddie cut.
Speaker 4: Yo, let me like what I like?
Speaker 2: He wants to see Eddie eating a bunch of ice cream and an ill fitting.
Speaker 4: I want to see Eddie Eddie in the movie theater, just slamming Glizzies with Laura watching a movie.
Speaker 3: The baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, the baby dolls creepy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He followed her and she locks him in.
Speaker 4: A room, which happens in the game.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is where we get the ceiling Stretcher boss battle, or what I thought was gonna be the ceiling Stretcher Lady boss battle. Instead, it's a really bad makeup effect. It looks like it looks supposed to be supposed to be look like a dying person, but it looks like a space alien.
Speaker 4: And I feel like the shot of her face was too long. They were like showing her too long and it takes away a lot of the suspense and makes it more awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she has like four arms and she shoves her fingers in his mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was pretty hot.
Speaker 2: And then he wakes up in the normal world.
Speaker 4: Which I then immediately hated.
Speaker 1: Uh, and this therapist is like, hey, I'm here, stop. Mary's dead. She's been dead for months, you eighty eight And he's just like, oh, okay, I'm gonna have a flashback down. This is where he flashes back to confronting her about the Colt and he's like, pack your bags were leaving, and this is the dialogue here feels bearing video gave me and woulden.
Speaker 2: He's like, I followed a girl today and then.
Speaker 4: She led, first of all, not packing bags. We're leaving. It would be packing. I'm packing my bags, I'm leaving. What I just saw was fucking the name and I want no part. And then he's too forgiving, like he there he's drowning in red flags.
Speaker 1: And by the way, she's also a problem because he's like, why do you tell me about this? And she's like, I told you were things about me you wouldn't like, and you said you'd accept me. You should have been like I think Colt was like the first time you met, I was flirting.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be bleeding from every orifice while people licked you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like being licked by an evil cold is something you.
Speaker 4: Have All things I could guess that are a problem. That would not be one of them, but they hair killing a guy would be less, yeah, problematic.
Speaker 2: But she won't leave with him. She won't leave with him.
Speaker 1: She refuses to leave with him because she's heartbroken that he's and that's got something cult.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing for him because she's fucking insane and he needs to get out of there.
Speaker 1: He does, he does, And this is another shot I really like, where he gets at his card. He looks back and everyone in the apartment complex or at their windows staring at him, Like, but again, that's that's now We're making the movie about like a cult manipulating them and not so much about his grief and guilt, which is what's so important about the game. And I'm like, and this Colt stuff never really pays off. The Colt never gets any cobumpins. We never really learned what happens to them.
Speaker 3: I don't know what their purpose is, Like, yeah, what happened to them? Like, it's never like it would have been at least sort of interesting if he ran into them while he's looking for Mary in this sun.
Speaker 4: Hill nobody's story is solved in this nobody's so yeah.
Speaker 1: Therapist tells him like, hey, your brain's dumb, stop being like that, and he's like, okay, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna go look out this window and he's like, hey, that's a hot lady outside, and then the darkness comes back.
Speaker 2: Months are everywhere and he's still there.
Speaker 1: And I guess this whole previous sea was supposed to be like a fake out, like it was just a dream.
Speaker 2: You know what movie did that?
Speaker 4: Really? Well?
Speaker 1: Remember fourteen oh eight The Haunted Hotel Room. Do you ever see that one?
Speaker 2: No spoiler, it's really good.
Speaker 1: It's a haunted hotel room that's trippy and mess with your mind. And like toward the end, you think he got out and he's free, and we see him going about his day and everything, and then he like goes to the post office and suddenly construction workers start breaking down the walls and it realized he realized he's still been in the hotel room the whole time. That was a good fake out. That was a really good fake out. This not so much because it comes at a weird time in the movie where you're like, well, the movie's obviously not ending now, and at no point did I think we were ever gonna stay in the real world. I'm like, well, obviously he's gonna go back. So I don't know if any of that therapist stuff is real. It's weird that we see her having conversations with the doctors and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's the only that maybe illudes that maybe she is and just everything and you're just not getting her whole story. Again, you're not getting the whole story of somebody crazy. But other than that, she just seems not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If she wasn't having scenes with other people by herself, I would say she's just a figment of his imagination.
Speaker 2: But she is. So it's like, in the real world, is he just in a hospital bed going like Mary, Ah, what a monster?
Speaker 1: And they're like, he's talking about a monster again, Let's just give him more morphine.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like, out of all things that it can actually be left up to an interpretation. Yeah, and that and that would be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be fine.
Speaker 1: Say he's back with Maria now and she kisses him, She's like, can we stay together?
Speaker 2: I want to be together?
Speaker 1: And he's just like nah, and he leaves her behind, but then she gets on the elevator with him, and then we get that spinning camera shot and then.
Speaker 3: The elevators just plumbing down.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I don't remember this part that I black out.
Speaker 1: Probably remember, Yeah, they get the elevator, they go all the way down, which is which I will uh, I will take that over the really long staircase in Silent Hill too.
Speaker 2: There's that one part you just have to.
Speaker 1: Go down a really really long staircase and it goes on for a fucking while.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that part, but that was annoying.
Speaker 4: There's a ladder you go down for a little while, also a lot of holes you jump in.
Speaker 2: A ladder and a staircase.
Speaker 4: This movie was missing James jumping into holes and sticking his arms in the hole. It really needed more hole holes being filled with his arms.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: That's again they this story needed more holes filled.
Speaker 2: I get what you're saying, that clipped out of context. That could go the wrong way again.
Speaker 1: But that's another thing where I almost wish this was a different director who hadn't done all this stuff before and did his own stamp because taking things out of creepy hole. She did that in the first one with the guy taking the key out of the guy's mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like, oh, yeah, well we already did that.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, we can do it again if we're if we're making a good story, that it's okay. But it's okay to make a good story.
Speaker 1: Just have someone else do it. I don't know why he felt the need for him to come back.
Speaker 2: We're going sorry, the sirens going off or going into the other world, I got it. One plug that thing. There must must be loose somewhere.
Speaker 1: They get off the elevator and now they're in a giant maze with paintings of Mary's face everywhere.
Speaker 4: I remember this part. Yeah, I think I blacked out. I do.
Speaker 1: I do like kind of I kind of like this look of them just walking around the maze. I love when it pulled out and showed like how big it was and the lights are going off.
Speaker 4: I do like that her face was slowly contorted into pictures too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was a good And this feels kind of like the later parts of the game where we're gonna just starts to feel like so not like the real world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that is a transition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, he Maria just keeps telling him like, hey, stop stop looking for Mary. She's gone, basically saying move on, yeah, let's move on, and he's like, you're not real. I'm gonna use my brain power to get rid of you. Cuts a pyramid Head fucking slicing her up the middle. That was fucking brutal. Poor Maria. I don't think she deserved that.
Speaker 2: Flowers you know what's section from the game.
Speaker 1: I really wish they would have done that weird three D puzzle with the giant. No, that was the worst part is you also struggle with that one.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's just because I'm stupid or if it was actually legitimately hard to do, but I was stuck there for way too long, and like it, when I get stuck in something like that for too long, I actually feel like an idiot. I'm like, I'm like, I bet you there's someone else that there, if they were watching it, be like this guy.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's took me a while. I also would have liked the hallway with the arms coming out. That would have been cool.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: Pyramid Head has killed her and then we flashed back to him with a big fake beard. It's really bad.
Speaker 4: It was so bad.
Speaker 2: Uh, And then he paints himself and then he draws up pyramid over his head just in case.
Speaker 4: We didn't in case he didn't get it yet.
Speaker 2: But we all got it. We got it right away.
Speaker 3: Actually, it didn't take too long.
Speaker 2: Again, if they.
Speaker 4: Didn't, if you didn't get it from the last helm where they showed his face again and manifesting pyramid head, if you haven't figured it out yet, guys, you don't need to play the games so now.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, he wakes up from this flashback and he's in the water and he washes up next to the Lakeview Hotel which is on fire. Which it's on fire at the.
Speaker 2: Very very end. I remember there being a lot of fire at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: There was when you were doing Angela's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Angela's Trauma. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because they're having a conversation in a room that's all on fire, I'm like they would be struggling to breathe.
Speaker 2: But I guess this is a magic I.
Speaker 4: Think, wasn't it ship What didn't Angela burn the house out of their dad in it?
Speaker 2: Way? So I think that's why that was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could be wrong. I'm not sure somebody in the comments will correct me on which.
Speaker 1: Again, if you're gonna say that Mary killed her father with fire, if we're going to commit to merging these characters, sure, but they didn't do that, so now it's just on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When he gets in there, he sees Lara, whose face does start to change into Mary a little bit, and she asked him for Mary's full name, which is Mary Angela Lara Crane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the worst. I can't believe they didn't throw him like Eddie and things stuff.
Speaker 1: There Mary, Mary, Marie, Angela, Lara, pyramid head, Eddie, bed daddy, sexycy homeless man, homeless, creepy homeless man with radio.
Speaker 4: There, just having the four names on the tomb so no, just like.
Speaker 2: Uh. Then so he realizes that they're all connected.
Speaker 4: It was that it was so bad.
Speaker 3: They're all versions of Mary, yes.
Speaker 4: Which they weren't in the King.
Speaker 2: They worried. But yeah, he finds Angela Maria but yeah, Maria.
Speaker 3: Yeah the tombstone though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one, the one that wouldn't matter the most. But yeah, he finds Angela, who's sitting on a bed and she can't get up because the bed has grown hands.
Speaker 2: This scene was kind of cool. But yeah, and the pools are underneath and it pulls both of them into like a fleshy world in the game. That was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was And then this would have been the whole sequence where you're running from the bed daddy whatever it.
Speaker 4: Was, which they should have had at least longer than thirteen seconds scene of resolution for this.
Speaker 1: I did thought it was a practical effect though mostly but yeah, the bed turns around and then it has Mary's face and he's like, what does this mean?
Speaker 4: And then it's just done. It was over so quick. It's like, here's an exciting climactic scene and it's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so dumb by the way in there.
Speaker 4: I'll cut that one out with Eddie too.
Speaker 2: That boss fight.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of problem with the bad one chasing you on that. I sucked at that one hard brag much.
Speaker 4: I think I died once.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're playing, when you only played the game for like thirty minutes at one am for the course of two weeks, it's hard.
Speaker 4: If you want to make up excuses while you're bad, you can, But.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I'm not bad at video games.
Speaker 1: I also only play them when I'm really tired, so that might have that might factor into it.
Speaker 4: So when are you shutting your video game review chair?
Speaker 1: So yeah, the nothing happens. He wakes up and there's a burnt corpse in front of him, which is maybe the bad monster.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming it was a bad monster. Yeah, but again no, no still resolution to what it is. It's just like, where is the actual resolution to that?
Speaker 1: I guess it's just a show that now Mary's dad was controlling her whole life, even in death.
Speaker 4: But there's no they don't really talk about her dad other than the fact that he was a cult leader, So you don't really have a lot of connection to at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the cult is acting on his orders and they were like torturing her a whole life.
Speaker 4: You still don't have any any reason to connect with her dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we needed like more specific story.
Speaker 4: There was nothing in the story or in any in the other plethora of flashbacks they did to insinuate her dad abuse her other than I.
Speaker 1: Think I think they're changing it. It's not so much like sexual abuse. It's just he controlled her life like he.
Speaker 2: Did the cult. The cult was taking avandage.
Speaker 4: That was not depicted well at all.
Speaker 2: No, it was he it was No. I agree, it wasn't done well.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, like what the movie was trying to do as an adaptation, I'm not saying it didn't well.
Speaker 4: She would just kept Angela as her own character. It would have made more sense.
Speaker 2: Or cut Angela. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Everybody cut the cut Eddie. They cut my boy Eddie out, cut.
Speaker 2: Eddie and Angela. Just have him fighting monsters being sad about his wife.
Speaker 4: Where was my scene?
Speaker 2: You agree?
Speaker 4: Where's my scene of Eddie and Laura are sitting in a movie theater? I think I think Monica's blacking out.
Speaker 2: Now, what did you want from the game in this movie?
Speaker 3: I mean the pure actual idea of being stuck in your own hell, which in the game, which apparently you didn't realize.
Speaker 4: I realized in the car on the way over here, she told me, and I thought I knew a lot about this game.
Speaker 3: Is that you find out that James has been in this loop. He's gone through this and I forget how many times, but.
Speaker 1: Like factor in Eddie a million times, because he killed him so many times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what. But like you get the videotapes and the clues and all that stuff. Like if you get all the photos and everything merger all to get you find out like, hey, you've been here for like decades basically, like you've been stuck here. And that's terrifying to think that you've been stuck in this loop and you just you're not learning your lesson or letting go of any of your guilt from this. Yeah, and also like just being able to see what their hell worlds are, Like, it is terrifying when you get into Angelo's world and when you get into Eddie's world, even though Eddie is more the fucked up one. But that's a terrifying concept. It still would have worked just fine as a movie.
Speaker 1: Maybe it would have worked better as a series where this episode we're gonna explore Angela's stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like somehow they all still like kind of seep like itges with each other.
Speaker 2: But the merging the characters sometimes that can work.
Speaker 1: It does not work here. But yeah, then he follows uh her outside and he sees her in bed, he sees her corpse in bed, and then we get a flashback to him being with her as she was dying. Yeah, and again the illness is a result of the magic poison Colt juice. But she's like, I tried to shield you from that part of my life. And then here she's like, not very well, yeah, not well, Yeah, I tried to shield you.
Speaker 2: We hung out with those people all the time. I tried to shield you.
Speaker 1: But then she says like her dad is insider like basically, like whatever the poison was a result of them. Basically, her dad took control of her life. Even in death, she can't escape him, and she just wants to escape him. And she basically asked James to help Mercy kill her really, and he's just like, I don't feel like doing that.
Speaker 2: And also that's kind of illegal. I don't know how I get away with it.
Speaker 4: But didn't ask her to do that in a game, I know, in the game. Not this weird cloth he picked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was some reason film tape in the game would have.
Speaker 4: Been so hard to just use a pillow. Could they not afford a pillow and a budget?
Speaker 2: They only had one pillow and she was laying on it.
Speaker 3: It might have had some sort of like medicine on it that helped.
Speaker 1: I thought he was just wiping the blood from her nose, but but yeah, they he mercy kills her and he feels real bad about it.
Speaker 3: And again, but it undercuts the whole emotional aspect from the game. Yeah, the fact that like he felt guilty for killing her, and that's why he got stuck in this hell loop. Yeah, where she she just needed him to be there for her. Instead, it's just like he left her then he came back and killed her because he just didn't want to deal with it anymore. And like he said, that is an actual trauma that people go through, like a guilt that they feel when you have a loved one dying.
Speaker 2: Like it doesn't work because this almost feels like he's doing a good thing. He's freeing her from.
Speaker 3: She says like it's okay, like please kill me, and he's just like okay. It's like, so, why are you stuck in this loop? Then like there's no point.
Speaker 1: Well, he ends up not being in a loop. We learn Mary flies around on her stretcher.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: They wanted her to look like the girl from the first movie who was also on a stretcher flying around, but yeah, but here she looked like a weird brown space alien.
Speaker 3: She looks weird, I get I think they were trying to be like, oh, like, she probably became so emaciated from whatever disease she had.
Speaker 2: But she looks like a space alien.
Speaker 3: Get it. And they gave her tentacles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gave her like four r.
Speaker 4: Yeah she did. You did point out that day she had these weird tentacles. I'm like, yeah, what is it?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I missed the tentacles.
Speaker 3: Like that was supposed to be a representation of like IVS, like being hooked up in the hospital bed. But like, if they showed her actually hooked up in a hospital bed being sick like that, then it would have made more sense to see her as this sickly alien creature.
Speaker 4: Are you saying they didn't do a good job of describing the aspects of what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she makes him fly over the fire. Looks dumb, but yeah, he said, like I wish I had died the same time as you, and that's why he hasn't forgiven himself.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Then she disappears and he finds her corpse and he loads it into a sweet Mustang that's parked outside.
Speaker 4: And then you get the bad ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then he drives into the lake and then we hear like a doctor talking to him, are you with us, mister Sunderland, Which maybe in the real world he like flatlined over something. I don't know, but yeah, when he wakes up, he's back at the beginning of the movie, and he has all his memories of the previous time. So he's just like, hey, lady, I'm gonna help you drive somewhere and we're gonna we're gonna change things.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be a gentleman and get you out of here.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's gonna change things for her. So he's not in a loop.
Speaker 4: So did he die and he's like living in heaven? Yeah? Or did he get a second chance?
Speaker 2: I think maybe it's the second chance, or he's dead. And this is how he wished.
Speaker 4: Because Monica brought up earlier to me that that could have been the beginning of the loop, that I that she brought to my attention earlier, and like, oh, well, that would make sense and if it was actually looping in that way, and that would be better to the game. But it did not seem like that was the case.
Speaker 3: No, it would have been more horrifying. Yeah, if he wakes back up and it's in that same sequence and like they go back into the town and you're like, oh, like he's going to relive this, like you did not learn anything. Yeah, but she didn't really learn anything anyway.
Speaker 1: But the Devil's Advocate with Keanu Reeves or at the end he like rejects Satan and everything. But then it like loops to the beginning of the movie and the Devil's gonna try and trick him a different way.
Speaker 2: Keep doing this and keep doing this.
Speaker 4: I think one of the bigger things too, is that when you play the game for so long, you start to empathize with James a little bit, even though what he did should not be empathized.
Speaker 2: Yees. But because I too look down on murder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but with everything that goes on the game, because you may not if you don't have him be in it, you may not understand what has happened yet. So the doors are open for empathy towards James until you learn. But the whole movie I didn't.
Speaker 2: Like James's He's very bland, and then when you do know about his past, he's kind of a dick.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was like he could have addressed the whole cold thing a little bit more subtly and like.
Speaker 2: Hey, what is this?
Speaker 1: Explain it to me instead of pack your bags were leaving bitch.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I would have thought about it that.
Speaker 4: They could have. They could have actually explained every storyline in a movie. If at the very end he would have went into that bathroom at the stop and when he opened it up there was a dog at all.
Speaker 2: Say you know what, why didn't they just fucking go?
Speaker 4: That would have fixed ten out of eleven out of ten if that was the ending, If.
Speaker 1: They had the balls to just do that, and then they get in the UFO together, Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, fly one of these days that would someone will make that movie.
Speaker 4: That would have been the best possible ending for the movie. I would have been like.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to do it next time. I don't think we're getting more silent Hill movies anytime.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, we make our own. We should do what the anti Donna team did with X Men. Just make make our own.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the uh, just do the dog ending? Why not do it as a joke?
Speaker 4: At least this dog ending would have made I think it would have saved the film.
Speaker 1: I think I said before, I would have settled if he's like walking down a hallway and he sees a door cracked open with a control panel.
Speaker 2: You just see the dog walk past the door.
Speaker 1: I would settled for that, but then like a monster jumps out before he can like address it.
Speaker 4: That actually would have been good too, That would have been That would have been fucking good. It needed to be there. There needed to be the dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the movie ends with the music video style credit sequence.
Speaker 3: That's almost weird too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if that was from the game or anything.
Speaker 4: I stopped paying attention as soon as the credits rolled. I think I walked out of a living bit like did.
Speaker 3: You listen to any of the lyrics? Kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics, but the visuals it's like, oh, it's like James and Maria and cameras spinning around them, Like.
Speaker 2: Did you write down the lyrics?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: But now I want to look them up to them.
Speaker 4: So yes, this is pressure. Now.
Speaker 1: I wonder how I would have if I didn't play the game and I went into this bunch like I did the other two.
Speaker 2: I feel like this still would.
Speaker 1: Have not been a very good movie because the cold stuff is still confusing.
Speaker 2: Even if he didn't play anything, and it.
Speaker 1: Just wasn't scary. There weren't any really creepy visuals. I never had the feeling of dread like I did in the first one.
Speaker 4: There's no conclusion anything. A lot of things are left unanswered, a lot of things are ambiguous like that, I'm fine, that could work.
Speaker 3: That can work in movies. Sometimes that works to a horrifying effect of like you're not getting answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like it makes.
Speaker 4: You Yeah, I agree totally, but yeah, like it does not work the way they did it.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, this one almost explains a little too much, so it makes the stuff they don't explain stand out more. It's like, Okay, well was the Dad magic? Is any of this real?
Speaker 3: We never actually do we actually see the Dad.
Speaker 2: We just saw a painting of him looking scary.
Speaker 4: It's just a bust of him in a metal closet.
Speaker 1: And I get again, you have to make some connections to the previous film, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: If that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's just a huge left and I expect it better from him, and he had more creative control and like.
Speaker 3: The first one, like you said, it's become a cult classic, like revisited, and we're like, is this fun movie? Like it is a pretty good movie for adapting a Silent Hill game.
Speaker 2: It works on its own for the most part.
Speaker 3: And then it's just like he's like, I can do this, guys, I'm gonna come back, I'm gonna take control again. And it's just like I'm gonna ship the bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really shouldn't have been. I don't know what happened with the visual effects, why they look so bad. I'm not sure what happened there, but I wanted it.
Speaker 2: To be better.
Speaker 1: Is this the worst Silent Hill movie out of the three?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Worse than Revelations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say, yeah, this is at least their explains that makes it work a little bit.
Speaker 4: And I feel like sometimes when you're watching Revelations, it felt like you were playing a video game. In some instances, it like actually felt like I had video game flow. Very good video game, but not very good, but you could see you can kind of feel at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure which one's the worst.
Speaker 1: I will say this is definitely the biggest letdown of them because Silent Hill revel, no one knew what to expect.
Speaker 2: With Silent Hill one.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, that was pretty movie Silent Hill too, Everyone's like, well that looks like shit.
Speaker 2: But this one people are.
Speaker 1: Like, he's back, it's gonna be good, and we're all hike because of the remake. And then it was just like, oh, this didn't check any of the back remember.
Speaker 3: Too, Like when people start seeing like the teaser trailers, were like, ooh, this doesn't look good, and like everyone's like, it's just a teaser trailer. They still have to work on it.
Speaker 1: You give it, Yeah, that people fall into that trap, because sometimes that's true, but oftentimes it's not. Yeah, this this didn't do it for either of us.
Speaker 2: But we did all the Silent Hill movies.
Speaker 4: We did it.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's a choose your own Adventure on Toby right.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck yeah, maybe we'll do that at some point, but as OF's that's animated though.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, Well, we did all the theatrical Silent Hill movies.
Speaker 2: We did it.
Speaker 1: I think we can all agree the first one is still the best. Yeah, then the second one has some funny moments and you could just skip the watch a let's play of the games. Then this it's so condensed, it's not good. Where can I find you? Guys, We're gonna find you.
Speaker 3: Monica Instagram, I am at story in the end. I mean that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: The only place you had a TikTok.
Speaker 3: I have a TikTok, but I just postings like things I don't make tiktoks.
Speaker 2: And Dan.
Speaker 1: Dan if we were feeling grief written and we drive to a town that's covered in fog, where can we find you?
Speaker 4: Probably dead?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: You go, okay, what is your personal help?
Speaker 4: But I would like, I'm out, I wouldn't survive, or I'd be just like just send it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give up.
Speaker 1: The moment I walked into Silent and saw the first sponsor, I'm this. No, all you have to do is forgive yourself and you can leave. And he chooses to hang around the naked acid shooting monsters. No, thank you, but yes, and you can follow me hack the movies wherever you're online. Please like, share, subscribe, sign up for Patreon, even at the free tier. I'm gonna fix that light. I'm gonna fix that goddamn light.
Speaker 2: Later today. And what else do I have going on? I forget when this comes out, so I don't know what the plug. But yes, follow my socials so you know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: And where where you will be? What you got going on?
Speaker 4: Well, I do know.
Speaker 1: In August I'll be in New York for the Sci Fi Horror Fest.
Speaker 2: And then did I send you Paison Cohn?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You did, and you told me I could get him free.
Speaker 1: Yes, we apparently the Italian member have hacked the movies can get press passes to Paison Con.
Speaker 2: So that's my birthday weekend. My favorite thing.
Speaker 1: I because Johanna fanned out she was an Italian, her grandmother did, so I let her know right away.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you're not allowed to come. I felt so good doing that. So I guess look for a bunch of Guidos walking around Baison Con at some point.
Speaker 3: Uh no, what No, I just mean like, you're gonna be the least looking Guido there.
Speaker 4: Do you think guidos watched this show?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I'm gonna be wearing my Rocky for Italian tracksuit.
Speaker 4: Should I come dressed as a Guido?
Speaker 2: Are you Italian? Yeah?
Speaker 4: A little bit?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, that's fine, I'm like.
Speaker 4: French and Italian. Uh sorry, we just you know.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Have paison con with almost every actor from the Sopranos who's ever existed.
Speaker 3: Oh and that one guy from the Adam Taylor movies.
Speaker 2: Yes he's the only one who doesn't have a Sopranos credit.
Speaker 1: Oh but yes, follow us there and I'll let us know what you thought of Return to Silent Hill, and we'll be back.
Speaker 2: Ten years from now when they make another one. Goodbye, everyone. Remember to like, comment, and subscribe. Check out our other videos and Patreon page.