Speaker 1: Let's talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Our second semi final game in the College Football Playoff, of course, the first year in the twelve team expansion is tonight Texas six point dogs against Ohio State, and I would imagine Ohio State will cover. I would maybe it's just getting caught up in how impressive they've looked in this event, the College Football Playoff, But I think it's more than more of the fact that Texas just really they were impressive against Clemson, no doubt, but their game against Georgia, I mean, they lost in Georgia was the same team that couldn't get past Notre Dame, and clearly Notre Dame is a good team. So I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong and it ends up being close, and maybe I'm wrong in Texas wins, but I just feel like this Texas team, they are so fortunate to be there given the way things played out, and they do deserve credit, right. I mean, they were very lucky to get a gift meeting the no call on the targeting, but they also from then made big plays that completely flipped that. I mean, it went from fourth and long, they got to score a touchdown or it's over, and you know, the percentage chances of Arizona State winning before they snapped that ball and scored their first touchdown in overtime had to be like in the nineties high nineties, because it's fourth and long and they have to score. So the fact that they did that and then came out and scored on the very next play in the first possession of the second overtime and then got off and then made a stop on defense, I mean, they were that was impressive. It doesn't change the fact that they were lucky. But still despite that, they they did what was needed to do from then on to go and win the game. So maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, but I just think this Ohio State team is kind of rounded into form and they've kind of already went through the worst they could go. Like, if they lose tonight, their fans are gonna be upset they lose tonight, and it's I'm sure you'll hear more people coming after Ryan Day. But the energy and I mean, like the toxicity is probably the better word to use than energy that was there after they ended up losing the Michigan in the one year where you can't lose to Michigan, and you did. I kind of feel like they they went through the worst they're going to go through, and they're playing loose, They're they're they're confident, and clearly they're very, very talented. So I think we're gonna get an Ohio State and Notre Dame championship game, and I would I would, I have to take Ohio State. Now, with that said, Notre Dame, how about how about a season they've had I think Notre Dame and and just kind of seeing this new Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. Maybe it's recency biased, but I just feel like the way they've they've carried themselves, the brand, the old the DNA that they have under Marcus Freeman, it's it's clearly different than what it was with Brian Kelly and Marcus Freeman probably when it comes down to just the chops that you have to have to be a really good football coach at a really high level. When Marcus Freeman was named the head coach at Notre Dame and took over for Brian Kelly, he probably wasn't good enough at that point, but they clearly liked everything about him, and I feel like when he got hired, I was surprised they didn't go after a bigger name, But I remember kind of understanding, Okay, this guy. He's really likable. He's got a lot of charisma. You can just tell that he's relatable to his players and that players would want to play for him, and that kind of stuff really matters, right. That's you know, it's being a leader, and we're not in the locker room, so we don't see it every day. But I feel like he had all of the things you need to be able to be a successful coach at a high level other than you know, x's and o's. And not to say he didn't have it, but he just hadn't. He'd never been head coach before, you didn't know. And I think he's come. I think he the job was so big, and he has such a good head about him, and it's oh poise that I think he was not afraid at all to really really really lean on his coordinators. I mean, Al Golden, former Miami coach. I mean, that guy's got a phenomenal defense this year. I mean they've been they've been great, and you know, Marcus Freeman, I'm sure he's responsible for that as well, like he's a part of it as well. But I just think this was a guy that kind of like we're seeing with well, I'm not gonna make the comparison, but when it comes to to Freeman, he knew, Hey, I just got hired for the first time ever to be a head coach and it's a freaking Notre Dame and I've taken over for a guy who was the most I mean he was Brian Kelly. Despite the losses in the postseason and getting blown out in some of those games, he was still a very successful coach at Notre Dame. In the grand scheme of things. You gotta keep in mind, Notre Dame was really really down before he got there, and they made some really good runs and had good years. I mean, he was a good coach that they did not want to lose. And he goes to LSU and the vibe was sort of that he felt like he'd done all he can do at Notre Dame and he wants to go win a national championship. And now Marcus Freeman, in his third season, has put this Notre Dame team right there with a chance to win the national championship and they're good. Clearly they've got talent, but I kind of feel like, to me, they are they're the team of this postseason or this twelve team playoff meeting. And I guess you could say the same about Arizona State, who of course, you know, didn't didn't make as deep of a run. But this is a group and it sounds weird because it's Notre Dame. They usually have their their fair share of elite players and they do and always will. But I just kind of feel like they are kind of embracing the fact that there are people that don't think that they belong because they're not in a conference and they lost to NIU. There is a when these guys who are playing for Notre Dame right now and they committed, there was already the stigma about Notre Dame that they you know, they're they're able to just get in because they get preferential treatment. They're not as good. So there's kind of a chip, if you will, on the shoulder of this Notre Dame team. And I think they're led by a guy Marcus Freeman, who I mean, he he looks like a rising star and and he had some losses to some teams that Notre Dame should never lose to, including one this year against NIU. So in his first few years, you know, he was he was taking losses in big games, and you know that that concerns you. But he was also losing to teams that you shouldn't lose to, which concernship. But this year I thought it was going to be the break, the make or break year for him. In year three, I thought, with Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame was either going to feel like they've got their guy and the future's really bright, or they're gonna know, hey, this guy is fine, but Notre Dame to be Notre Dame needs somebody different. And clearly, as we stand here today, uh it's it's the fact that they think they've got a guy who has a really, really bright future. So I was pulling for him last night. I hated that the under didn't hit and uh, it looked good and then all of a sudden game yeah and then it and then it didn't And you know, I hated that, But still I'm happy Notre Dame one. And if we get we get Notre Dame in Ohio state. What and let's say Ohio State rolls Texas tonight, which could happen. There's more there's much better chance of that happening than it the other way around. What is the conversation from the SEC Loudmouse. I mean, I'm sure, like the Fine Baums and Lane Kiffin, they'll they'll just ignore it and then continue to come out talking about twenty twenty five college football as if it's still the league that not only is the best, but just has you know, is on a different planet compared to everybody else. But they'll be proof, not just this year. This year is the big proof, but like they'll be there'll be signs that since we hit this new world of nil and the portal, yeah, you're still great, but the gap is closing. It's not only not what you believe it is, it's not even close to that. So I'm I'm I'm willing to acknowledge even if the Big Ten and the independent Notre Dame team play in the title, it'll I'll still tell you that I think top to bottom the best league in college football is the SEC. They're but with that said, I still would like I just want them to be humbled there. But I also kind of feel like, no matter what happens, they won't be because there's just a there's an elitist tone from the SEC from certain programs for good reason, like Alabama, specifically Alabama. They it's they're they're wrong this year, but like you totally understood why they feel like they should get the benefit of that out because they're Alabama. Well then it played out this year where like they they didn't do anything that would make anybody think they were worthy of being a team that belongs in the playoff. They didn't get in and they shouldn't have got it, and then they got their ass kicked by Michigan in a bowl game. So they thought that they were clearly just better despite the losses they had than other teams with a similar record, And I think it's not crazy for them to view it that way. I don't think it's crazy for fans that aren't Alabama fans to see it that way. But then it played out and you were wrong, and they probably really let's be real, Haylen Neibor, he's got to have he's gonna have to have a good year next year, like not like he needs to be really really good or they'll start to think they need to make a change. So those programs. Alabama is a great example, even Georgia. Like Georgia, they felt elite and they you know, they they were good this year. Nobody would say they weren't. But them getting humbled by Notre Dame the way they did probably was a was a tough, tough pill to swallow. So those are programs that have earned I think, a level of benefit of the doubt. But then there's other teams like what is lank link Kiffin thinks he's he's the guy that should be given the benefit of the doubt when quite literally, his whole career has been mostly off of flash and not substance. Lank Kiffin, other than this year when they beat Georgia, he'd never won a game he wasn't supposed to win. I mean, lank kifvin was winning all the games he's supposed to win, sometimes really ugly, he'd compete against good teams. But like liank Kiffin, he's the last guy that should feel like he he deserved Like despite their loss and despite the home loss to Kentucky, well, if you know, you can't tell me we're not one of the best twelve teams. Yeah, I can, and there was no way to really prove it, and I guess technically this still isn't any way to fully prove it now. But as things have played out, I mean, the SEC should be a little more humble. But I don't know if that's I don't know if that's gonna happen or not. I really don't. All right, it's coffee and company we are feel about Thordon's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I've not been outside since, you know, about an hour and I don't know an hour and twenty five minutes ago, and it was snowing pretty hard, and I would imagine it's still doing that right now, so stay safe. The roads on my way in here were not bad, but maybe that's changed since then. I it does sound like once the snow comes to an end before I guess a little bit later this evening, maybe around seven o'clock or something, it's gonna be cold, and it'll be really cold tomorrow, so roads will probably still be bad. But what I'm interested to see is on Sunday, when we get aboff freezing, how long is it above freezing? And I guess how much is it above freezing? Because when this stuff starts to melt, that's great, but you got to keep in mind there's so much much of it that if it's melting for I don't know, the five hour window that we get aboff freezing, and then you get to the evening and it's twenty degrees again, like all that stuff's just going to freeze, And I just don't are we ever going to go back to school? Like I don't go to school, clearly, but our kid's gonna ever go back to school because they had a full week off this week, and I'm thinking Monday will probably be the day because again we're going to get aboff freezing, but it's not like it's going to be a buff freezing for five days straight. It's going to be just a certain stretch of time throughout that day. So I don't know, but this has clearly been as we get to the end of the week, this has been the winter week that has impacted us, And as you know, it's been the wildest and I wouldn't even I'm sure other places wouldn't call this wild compared to you know, if you're in the Northeast, I'm sure this is nothing. But for us, this is as big of a snow week we've had around here in a long long time. And as much as I did think it was kind of fun early on, I'm ready. I'm ready for it to be over.
Speaker 3: I'm sick of it. I'm done with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was fun. Thank you for coming back and reminding us what a what a winter is when you hit snow totals like we've had this week. But yeah, I'm ready for Uh I'm not ready for like for the spring yet, but I'm just ready for it to not be that cold outside. And I'm ready for my kids to go back to school in daycare. So you know, I can I can get some hit some sanity back. All right, let's do this. Let's take a quick break. What do I want to get to on the other side A wild Kelly Dicky stat that, uh, I just I didn't even know how to set it up. But if Lamar Jackson wins, wins the MVP Award, Louisville Athletics will be able to say something that nobody else can say when it comes to former athletes that have gone on to have success in the professional ranks. So we can certainly get into that. Also, I do want to talk a little more about this basketball weekend. We've got Louisville taken on Pittsburgh on the road, Easily the best game, or I'm sorry, easily, in my opinion, easily the best team they're going to play the rest of the way. Now, maybe you say that says more about the SEC than it does pit That's fine, I get it if you see it that way. But I happen to think Pitt's really good and Louisville right now seemingly has better momentum than they've ever had. So I am eager to see what happens tomorrow and I'll be there noon, and Pittsburgh looking forward to it. Taking the family should be a lot of fun. And then Kentucky, they've got Mississippi State on the road and a real I mean, it's not ideal to have this opponent at their place coming off your loss to Georgia. But if anything, you'll be able to see pretty quickly. Are you Are you learning from what teams are able to do against you that makes you so vulnerable? Because Mississippi State is going to do exactly that, and it's gonna be a tough game for Kentucky. No doubt so stick with us. We haven't even really got into the NFL playoffs this weekend, but we'll certainly do that. So hang out right here. Coffee and Company fuel by Thornon's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong here, but was this Chris Brown's for song like his first hit?
Speaker 3: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Look it up because I think it was either this or Excuse Me Miss? Do you know that song? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think excuse Me Miss was before this.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This was godsh it makes me realize how long he's been. I guess you know, a star because he this was when I was in one of these songs, either excuse Me miss or this one you're playing? Was it came out when I was in high school, which was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: In fact, run It Run. It was probably his his official first one.
Speaker 2: That's what that was, right?
Speaker 3: No, that was gimme the Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay? Are they both really similar? Am I crazy Chris Brown songs?
Speaker 3: During this?
Speaker 2: Okay? Because I'm because now that you say that, I do realize that they're different songs. But you could. I would have believed you if you told me that that was that they were the same.
Speaker 3: I gotcha. I'll play you out on the next one.
Speaker 2: You'll so now I'm curious. So Run. It was his first single that was huge and it was number one hit. Then it was excuse Me, miss, and then it was give me That, and they all came out in why does this not show me? The year? It was all on his debut albums, so technically in the same two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and six maybe so he high school at one point.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, well it was before I got there, about two or three years before I got there, But they went to state championships and I think their band had won an actual state champion and they had entered to win like some sort of contest where Chris Brown was going to high schools that year, and he came and played in like the cafeteria. It was like three years before I got there.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that that that he became such a big star when he was so young. I thought he was a little bit older than that. In fact, really random, and I mean an absolute random ass story that is that is that is hard to believe, but it's true. One of my close friends I grew up with from the time we were five years old. We graduated high school together. He was he was my backcourt mate on high school basketball team. He he got into like dancing, like choreography, and and that became like his passion when we were seniors in high school, and you know, growing up in Bullet County like it was, you know, it's kind of hard to relate to that because there wasn't. I mean, he was the only person that I had ever heard of that decided, as a seventeen year old kid from Bullet County that he wanted to be like Wan that's what he wanted to do.
Speaker 4: Dance sounds like very Zach effrom in high school. So I'm not going to follow your dream, dad, I'm a dancer.
Speaker 2: But but you know, right after that, it kind of became a bigger thing to where that show with Randy Jackson on MTV America's Beast Dance Creer. I don't know if you guys remember that show or not, but he ended up and he went back Cody when we were growing up, but his name is Dakota Once. Once he entered the entertainment world, he became Dakota so that's what I call him now he's Dakota. But he ended up moving to Atlanta and he joined with one of those dance dance groups like the Jabbawalking. Yeah, so that's what that show was with Randy Jackson from American Idol. They gave him an American Idol type show on MTV that was about instead of just performing like singing and whatnot, it was dancing as a group and they were called Royal Flush and they made they made it pretty deep into the show and then he ended up moving to l a and he became a backup dancer for Chris Brown. He went on tour with Chris Brown for like four years. We're talking we're talking South Africa. Like he was all over the world and he ended up getting hurt and it's kind of like an athlete. He got hurt towards a cl and they could they replaced him. But he met his now his now wife and they've got two wonderful children together. They live in in Seattle. But he met her. She was also a part of the of the dance group. So yeah, I mean it's it's one of the most random things that like because not only did you know not only did did Chris Brown perform on is either Jimmy Fallon or it might have been SNL And sure enough, like he's Chris Brown's out there performing as the act in one of the five Guys. That's five guys and girl girls that are a part of like his his I'm doing a terrible job of of of I mean, there are dancers, but like you know, not just any dancers, like they're a part of his, his tour, like his that's his team essentially, So you know, you turn it on and sure enough you see it. I remember no joke pulling open Facebook one time in like twenty fifteen or something, and there was somebody that shared an article from like I don't know, wasn't TMZ, but it's one of the one of the big, you know, global pop culture sites that covers that kind of stuff, and it showed a picture of them getting ready to come out on stage. I think it was on Jimmy Fallon And sure enough, there he was, like he was right next to Chris Brown.
Speaker 3: It was just wild to.
Speaker 2: See he was in the movie. It was in two different movies Footloose, which I actually never ended up seeing, but he was in Footloose that they redid like in the I don't know when they did it, but and then he also was in uh, what's the what's the gosh, what's it called? It had the It's gonna drive Me crazy? Pitch Perfect? They did pitch Perfect and pitch Perfect too. You know that was that what do they call it? That's a musical? Right, yeah, you've seen those, right, those movies, right, So the pitch Perfect movies are musicals. While everybody's singing, there's a lot of dance going on, and he was in that. So super random. No, that's pretty cool, and in a way I feel like I have some kind of a connection to Chris Brown. Not really, but at least I can say it and tell a wild story that, despite it being insane, it's it's actually true.
Speaker 3: We need to get Chris Brown on the show Not Your Body.
Speaker 2: I've heard not good things about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard so too. He's doing like tours now where he's just taking pictures.
Speaker 2: With Oh yeah, I mean I've seen the memes. I've heard some stories about how he I mean, I don't think he's a great guy. And you know it's coming from somebody who not not joking, live with him, within him on a bus and then across the world for many years, and I don't think he's a great dude, which probably doesn't surprise a lot of people, to be honest with you, but make certainly a lot of hot trouble. Certainly an entertainer, no doubt about that, all right. So Pat Kelsey on his on his radio show, I believe last night of the Night before, had mentioned something that I've seen labeled as the worst kept secret around, which I guess just speaks to how disconnected I am from what's going on, because I had no clue about this at all, but apparently others did and it was just like a whisper thing. But I learned about it from Pat Kelsey saying on his radio show that Noah Waterman in December actually had a surgical procedure on his hand and he's been playing with rods in his hand. So Noah has I mean, look, he struggled this year to make shots. He's looked uncomfortable, and I don't want to go down this path again because it'll I'll spend more time on it than I want to because there's no don't I don't know the answer, But man, he when fans were mad at this team at points this year, I feel like he got all the energy from that. And it makes sense in regards to like the fact that he's taking a lot of threes and he's not making them and that's kind of what he's supposed to do. And he'll be a klutz at times and kind of fall over, and you know, he's a defensive he can be a liability on defense depending upon the matchup. So I've never really understood why he got it more than anybody else. Maybe it's because he sort of, I guess, has that vibe and I don't pick up on this as much as as others do, but like he's the guy that if he's playing well and he's being you know, he's he's feeling himself, then you're happy he's on your team, because he was on the other team, you'd hate him. Like I get why people say that the case in prior, like he very much carried himself that way to where I totally understood why people had said that. But when it comes to Noah Waterman, I never really quite got it. But I felt bad for him because he was struggling and he was still going to play a lot of minutes because you know, you know, you don't have anybody else like he's he's going to be a part of this team because they don't for a good stretch, they didn't have anybody else to play. So I don't I guess what I'm getting at is here when it makes a little more sense as to why he's not shot the ball, well, I don't. I don't believe that the surgery where he had rods put in his hand was on the shooting hand. I could be wrong. I feel like you'd have a tough time doing anything if that was the case, and you wouldn't be able to not he had' missed any games, by the way, so I think it's his all offhand. But either way, that is going to impact your ability to shoot the ball. So that at least explains a little bit as to why he's fired it up there at times. And it looked as if like, man, why this guy. You told me this guy was a shooter, So that you know that, that makes a little more sense. And I just think for Pat Kelsey to keep that within, for Noah Waterman to want that to be kept private, I mean, I think that kind of speaks to this team's maturity and their ability to kind of block out any kind of noise. Because if I was Noah's age, which you know he's he's not an eighteen year old freshman. He's been playing college basketball a long time. He's probably twenty three, twenty four years old, but still that's that's young to me. If I was that age, and I was and I had stretches of play and games that were really, really bad, I would at least want I would have I would have an insecurity within myself to want people to understand the reason I'm playing so bad is because I'm out here giving you everything I can and I just had rods put in my hand. But he you know they you know. I didn't hear it directly. I saw a write up about it from I believe it was the CJ that that highlighted or that mentioned Kelsey's quote, and he said, I don't I think what he's I think he led with I probably shouldn't say this. I'm sure they don't want me to say this, or maybe he doesn't want me to say this, but I'm going to say it anyway. And that's when he shared that Waterman has been playing with this injury, and I mean, I think it's one more than anything, just the fact that he's playing hurt, knowing that he's needed more than ever because of these injuries that has happened. I mean, and he's and he's still giving you everything he can. I mean, that's one of those things where it's kind of what you would expect, but also like it probably has been very difficult for him, and yet he's played poorly and nobody realizes that he's actually gone through a pretty you know, probably a pretty painful injury, and clearly he's not been as comfortable out there, and yet he's you know, I don't know, I don't know what the value is in keeping that within, but more than anything, it speaks to this group they're not they've and I said this against I think it might have been in the Duke game when they came back from the Bahamas. They got their buck kicked by Ole Miss, and then they had Duke, and they played really tough early on, they led for about thirty minutes, and then it kind of got away late. They lost by double digits. Duke clearly was just a better team. I remember thinking to myself. Look, these guys have had a lot of legitimate excuses of legitimate factors that it's just bad luck, right, injuries, that kind of stuff, and they don't carry themselves in any way as if they feel sorry for themselves. They're not victims. And I think knowing Waterman's injury situation now and it never being at least I mean, it wasn't public knowledge, and he certainly didn't go out of his way to tell anybody. Pat Kelsey didn't want to tell anybody. I mean, I think that speaks to these guys. They're not going to make any excuses. They got a job to do and they're going to give everything they have to get the job done. So I'm not happy to hear that Noah's been dealing with that and that he's had rods put in his hand, But again, it kind of makes me love this team even more. Something else that Pat Kelsey said, this was not in on his Coaches show. This was in I guess an interview that he did. Make sure I cite my sources here because I'm going to play this sound for you. This is Pat Kelsey during an interview with Louisville native David Novak, who is a business leader here locally. He recently had Pat Kelsey on to I. Don't I guess this? I guess uh, mister Novak has show, a podcast, whatever it may be. But this was something that I was not expecting to hear, but certainly something to me.
Speaker 5: You know, I've reached out to Coach Crumb's widow, who's been phenomenal to me. You know. It was really really cool and I don't know if he's going to be mad that I'm saying this on a on a broadcast like this, but I had a long text exchange the other day with the great Rick Patino, which was really really cool. Peyton Siva asked me, he goes Coach Patino asked for your number? Do you mind if I.
Speaker 2: Give it to him? And I said, heck no.
Speaker 5: And about ten minutes later I got a text from him and it was a follow up from the Kentucky game which he watched. And my response first of all, was like, are you sure is this somebody like pulling my leg?
Speaker 3: Or is this really Rick Patino?
Speaker 5: And it was really him and gave me some you know, just some good feedback and said some really nice things, and it just made my heart beat fast and made the hair staring up my arms, that that a guy like that, that's such a legend around here, cares about what we're doing and acknowledged, you know, our game the other day against against Kentucky.
Speaker 2: So so, Austin, I wanted to get your thoughts on that because you developed, I think the emotional investment you made, the emotional investment, you developed the connection to Louisville basketball to where it means a lot to you when Rick was here. Correct, yep, clearly he's not here anymore, and he's done some things lately with Kentucky that would make fans feel a certain way. Despite it making sense, it's still not something you want to see. What does that do to you at all? If anything, when you hear that Tina wanted to reach out to Pat Kelsey and talk a little ball and you know, I guess just want to establish some kind of rapport they'd never talked before. I've got my thoughts on it, but I feel like for you, I mean, maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like that's got to be a good a good vibe for you because it's like the parents divorced and it's like you know, knowing that your your stepdad and your and your real dad or like, you know, they're cordial and you can like both of them.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's it's not like the Will Smith meme anymore, like why don't he don't want me anymore? You know, it's it's it feels good and it feels like it's a step in like the right direction. I was never one of those fans that got mad when he went back to Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I mean a little bit.
Speaker 2: It always he didn't want to see it, but you understood it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you understood it because it always hurt.
Speaker 4: I mean, he wasn't shy about saying how much he loved Kentucky even when he was here.
Speaker 2: And what most people didn't pick up on, and I didn't either at the time, because you know, you're just so deep into the rivalry. When Rick would be a little spicy towards Lexington and Kentucky, it was not about that program, that and base. It was about that man, John Caliparira. It was cal so he probably had an offit had, you know, had feelings for them more so than we even realized when he was here. But he just couldn't go there. But in fact, I think that drove him crazy more than anything that of all people, Cal was running Kentucky and and thriving. So yeah, I mean I remember you and I talking about it at the time, that the whole Kentucky thing, like I didn't want to see it. I would quickly just scroll past. I mean this may sound silly, but I would just quickly scroll past stuff on social media because I didn't want to like even you know, I don't want to go there. Yeah, exactly, That's kind of the way I And then when you know, Rick wanted to make it all about him, which he typically does. And look, I'll be honest with you, I think it's cool that that Patino wanted to reach out to Pat Kelsey. I don't I wouldn't have wouldn't have minded if he never did it, doesn't you know. But overall, as a Louisville fan who realizes the best era that of my life time for the louis of basketball was clearly when Rick Patino was here, and now he's moved on, and there's just no scenario where that tenure, that stretch of time within this program, it is going to stand out as I mean not only was it important to get Louisville back to the top during Rick's time here and win a national championship, go to a few final fours like that kind of stuff matters. That's why louisll can still to this day, despite the recent years of struggles, claim they're one of the best programs in the sport. So there's never a scenario where that era won't be remembered fondly. Even though Rick didn't get out of here in a good way, and even though he's clearly been bitter, and there was a lot of scandals that happened, a lot of stains that took a while, and it's still taken some time, I suppose, as far as national perception to get rid of that. But our best memories were during that time, and we all know that. Unfortunately, the nature of what went on and what was connected to those scandals, the salaciousness, you know, made it seem you know, it's just how life works. Man. People who think about Rick petinat Louisville that didn't experience it like we did by any means, and maybe didn't even really follow college basketball all that closely, they'll think Rick Patino at Louisville and they'll think hookers in the dorm. I hate to be so blood, but that's just that's just that's how things work. And again I'm talking to maybe people out of sight, out of mind that don't follow college basketball that closely, So all that stuff sucks. But either way, we all know that our some of our best memories are in that era. And now I some of Rick's best memories were absolutely Rick Pottino in my opinion, And again this goes back to what I just said about what happened. When you think of Rick Patino, you think of Louisville before you think of Kentucky. And I like to believe it mostly because of one how long he was at Louisill. He was here longer than he was in Kentucky, and he had a lot of success. But I'm also not foolish enough to say that because of the national attention that was that that that this program got because of what went on, that's also a factor in it too. So look, Rick, I think Rick does love Louisville. I think he's a little bit unrelatable to where like he doesn't like he's not I mean, he he appreciates his time here and knows that he had it. It had something really good, and I think that's why I bothered him so much that it ended the way that it did. But you know, I don't know Rick. Rick will eventually be welcomed back here, and he's welcome back now, like even after the Kentucky stuff. Like in fact, I'm glad that people kept some receipts and made it quite clear that look, you do what you want to do with Kentucky. We don't have to like it, but we get it. But to claim that you're not invited back and you're not welcome like that ended up being like Rick got put on Front Street.
Speaker 3: That was a lie.
Speaker 2: That was a lie. Josh Hurd has confirmed through others that that was just not true. And Luke Cancock, of all people, was very very upset to hear Rick claim that he's not been welcomed back whenever Luke and a lot of his guys have done everything they could to make it to make it to where he can come back, and again he can. He just he'll have to be the one that decides to do that. But maybe now that there is a level of somewhat of a relationship between Kelsey and Patino. Maybe that'll happen sooner rather than later, which I think would be great. Like I feel like that'll be another st and again it won't have anything to do with like this programs succeeding moving forward, but Rick coming back and getting a you know, being able to be honored in some way, like if they do a fifteen year anniversary of the twenty thirteen TIT title team, maybe that's the window where he could come back. And to me, this sounds corny, I know, but that to me is somewhat of a part of the closure here of like completely removing ourselves from how bad that era ended and how bad it's been since then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like getting the hay you up text?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, I mean. And the fact that Rick, I mean Rick did it the right way, reaching out to Peyton, who of course he's still close with, and obviously I just I just can imagine being a fly on the wall as Peyton walks into Pat Kelsey's office and is like, hey, coach Patino wanted me to give you his number. You cool if you're my boss, Like I don't want if Pat Kelsey was like, of course, hell yeah, and I am sure that some of that is an exaggeration. Maybe a lot of it is an exaggeration in regards to Kelsey's like, are you kidding me to be able to talk basketball with the legend and the hair on my arm stood up? Like maybe some of that's hokey, Maybe some of that's an exaggeration, but either way, like it speaks to his humility, and I think that's a huge part of why this can really work out here because he's he's he's feeling I mean, he's feeling pretty good about where things are right now, and he has every right to. And I hope that they can keep that momentum rolling tomor against Pittsburgh quick break. We'll come back on the other side, keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So, if Lamar Jackson does end up being the NFL MVP, which if you listed earlier, him getting thirty votes for ap all NFL First Team quarterback, whereas it looks like the let's see eighteen votes for Josh Allen two for Burrow, but thirty for Lamar. That has made Lamar now the favorite to win his third MVP. But according to Kelly Dickey, if Jackson when's the ap NFL MVP Award, excuse me, Louisville would be the first college to have former players combining for six MVP awards and the NFL MVP Awards by college says Herewi Yeah, if he does, Louisville will be in the Yeah, so calif this is such misleading, but cal has four former NFL has four MVPs as a college and it's all from one guy, clearly in Louisville's. Louisville's is not though, because of Johnny United. So Lamar gets three his third, you haven't united with his. You would end up with Louisville, Notre Dame in Tennessee, being able to claim that they are the leaders as far as producing the most NFL MVPs. So random, do that with that what you want. But hey, if you're looking for something to add to the list of things you can throw out there about what Lamar Jackson has done for Louisville football, you know, he's he's he's done a lot. But him continuing to be the best player in the NFL. I mean, there's there's it's hard to know what it's doing for you this day and age, but it certainly helps you more than it could ever hurt you. All Right, This is not something you typically see. This is awful, but certainly a big piece of news in college football today. And I suppose also when it comes to the NFL draft, because I don't know where this guy's actual draft stock was, but a former LSU quarterback, Kyrien Lacy, he has he's cooperating with authorities and is going to turn himself in because he's wanted on charges of neglect, I'm not sorry, negligent homicide, felony, hit and run. So apparently on December seventeenth, this young man he was in an accident or I guess he called.
Speaker 3: I read it.
Speaker 2: I read the report earlier, and it was it was somewhat confusing, but from when I gathered he actually he didn't he didn't get in a wreck, but his crazy driving resulted in a very bad car accident, and it ended up killing a former marine and injured two other people. That's according to the Louisiana State Police w WAFB and Baton Rouge is the one who broke this story. But they say that the investigators alleged that Lacy, who declared for the draft just two days after this crash, sped from the scene of the ten am accident after initially causing it it did not report his involvement to the police. They later were able to determine that the vehicle that was driving recklessly that caused this faal accident was in fact Kyraen Lacey. He's twenty four, played at LSU for a long time, and it says here that he's also wanted on charges of reckless driving, which of course that reckless driving is what led to the accident and the negligent homicide. But he according to wa WAFB, his attorney is in communication with Louisiana State Police and he's expected to turn himself in. Apparently, he was driving a twenty twenty three Dodge Charger on an interstate and recklessly passed multiple vehicles at a high rate of speed by crossing the center line and entering the northbound lane while in a designated no passing zone. That's clearly very dangerous, but at that point a northbound driver and a pickup truck abruptly hit the brakes and swerve to avoid a head on collision with Lacy's dodge charger, forcing a Kia Cadenza that was behind the pickup to swerve left, crossing the center lane and hitting a southbound Kia Sorrento head on, and of course that led to the death of a seventy seventy eight year old man who was a former marine. So again not, I mean, that's just the tragic story all the way around, and LSU, you know, that's the kind of stuff you don't want your program being attached to. But I'm just again, when these kind of things happen, and I'm a nerd for I guess true crime, and I don't feel like this story fits in true crime right now. But when people end up making a big mistake, doing something really stupid or you know, doing something heinous that was you know, quite literally an awful act that they need to be helped count Like, I just I always try to think back to like in their mind, did they think they got away with it? Like if he's been actively communicating via his attorney to police, then maybe it's just been under wraps as far as it being a news story, but two days later he declares for the NFL Draft. Be hard for me to imagine that he wasn't aware that there was a crazy accident that he caused. And it's also one of those things that you know, you got to have pretty good app like for him to fully be charged with this, to where there's not some kind of a plea deal for a lower charge. I just don't know how you can fully prove that, like quite literally, he caused it. I mean it clearly. I mean, if the driving was what they claim it was in the investigation, and then yeah, I mean it makes total sense that he should be had accountable because he's out there driving like a lunatic, causing others to react a certain way, and that's dangerous and that's that's why a crashed happened that took somebody's life. But I don't know, I just having that way on your conscious knowing you did, I mean, I don't know. Maybe people can truly block it out and just assume they're invincible. They got away with it and they'll never get caught. Like maybe that's how some people operate. But I'm too paranoid and again not to go down a path that wouldn't be good for this show. But I does anybody else ever sit around and think like there are people who walk among among us that are evil human beings and we have no clue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I don't I don't often think about it. I don't want to think about it. That's no way to live. You know, you got to be you know, you got to have some awareness, You've got to have head on a swivel in certain situations. But like if you're just always fearful of like, oh, this person walking down the street, they may kill me. Like that's that's no way to live, and it would be awful. But every now and then, I'll, i'll, you know, you'll you'll hear of a story about somebody that you know you would have never expected doing something heinous or I mean, there's a reason that people are fascinated so much so by like serial killers. I mean, they're awful people, of course, but you know, a lot of them end up I guess not a lot of them, but at least some of them, some of the more notable and memorable ones over the years. One of the things that makes their story so fascinating is that they were living in playing They were living in plain sight amongst normal human beings, and nobody had a clue that they were, you know, killing people. I mean, it's crazy and this is not that, but still, just to know that he declared for the NFL draft and went on about his business as if nothing happened. Maybe there's a chance he didn't know that he caused the wreck that killed somebody. Maybe he thought that even if he did, he wouldn't be held accountable because you know, he didn't wreck. But yeah, just a wild story, no doubt. All Right, we got the five o'clock hour. We'll get wild here as we get out here for the weekend. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety m