Speaker 1: Dire wave. The scientific method cannot justify the scientific method. Therefore itself, it is a dogmatical presupposition. It's a lovely man voice.
Speaker 2: Not a effeminine positive defamation.
Speaker 1: Yes, welcome, we're live. I think should be good. We're here, and today it's a little bit different. We're going to have my discord with me because I'm scared. I need all my backup people because I'm afraid of Ejahs and all the Muslim I'm joking not but we're going to do Q and A or stump or debate or whatever. Now, if you just want to come on voice and ask questions, you can do that through the discord. I'll put the link in in a second. If you want to come on a video debate, I have a zoom link open as well, and I can send you that link. So we offered. Ejaz said he was ready, he was ready to go, ready to debate. We've offered for months and months and months to set up a debate with this guy. Anyone doing so He says, oh, I don't mean today, even though he said I'm ready to go. Anyway, we will do Q and A. We'll do Q and A. Also we have a. We have all the discord wirdos here. What's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get debate Jordan Peterson if you want.
Speaker 1: If he wants, you got him right here.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready to debate. I can debate anyone right now, ready to go.
Speaker 1: So if you don't want to come on audio, thank you, Jordan. Uh, you can also leave me a stream lab super chat question or challenge right, it's it's the challenge is open. We make it really easy to debate, Like, it's super easy to come debate. There's no hoops. You don't have to jump through hoops to come debate here. It's very easy. And now I've even opened it up to audio, so that is the link there. If you want to join the discord, you will have to be vetted, of course first, to come in the discord. You can't just everybody can't. Just pile and read the rules, rules, questions, and then you'll be vetted. And after you're vetted and we decide that you have the balls, we'll let you come in. Yeah, what it toos, you're not late? Welcome?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: We got a good crowd here. Be sure to leave a like and a thumb up. Well that's the same thing and then also share it super chats. Thank you, okay as a mod there, he's putting the stream lab superchat there as a rough outline I'll be covering just because we're probably waiting for people to come in if they want to. We got a couple of Roman Catholics in the in the in the discord right now. I don't know if they're going to come in, but we've got the emergence of the Catholic tradition, the excellent Yarslav Pelican book. I'll use that as a rough outline for topics to discuss. But you can talk about whatever you want if you want to ask me questions about philosophy, if he challenge me, this is we got. I got incense burning up in here to make to set the ambiance. I saw one of them, p u a guys. He always lights incense before he starts his live stream, so I thought i'd rip him off into that. So I've lit incense. We've got the ambiance. We got the whiteboard here. If you're Muslim, if you're Rumman, Catholic, if you're set of a contest, if you're Protestant, Calvinist, evangelical, atheist, even if you're Jewish, or you're welcome to come and ask your questions, debate, challenge whatever if you want to. Now I'm not smoking weed, it's just incense. Pro If you want to come into the voice chat, go to the discord, join the discord. There's the link at my Twitter. Let me see if I get the actual just the discord link. Now, you know you gotta go to the you gotta go to the Twitter. That way, we can't have we can't just have everybody pulling in there, so you got to go to my Twitter. Catholic nonsense. Somebody said the chat anyway, what's up discord? Anybody? Is anybody in the discord right now? I know we got a full room. Does anybody want to come on the live stream and give us some chat material, questions, challenges?
Speaker 3: Silence?
Speaker 1: I mean we had I know, I know. So we opened this up today because we had a lot of Muslims talking and you know, making a lot of fuss, and so we opened it up. We had two or three Muslims talking smack all over Twitter. And then I said, come on, I even I'll even let you on here. Well we'll do a live stream. We'll start at the live stream, come on and debate Bra, debate me, Bra, and the dudes just left. We at least the dude that was talking to Smack left, So so I thought we were going to have some That link has expired. No, it's not. Go to my Twitter. At the top is an unexpired link. If that link was wrong, then go to my Twitter and then the latest link is not expired. I can't be expired. It's an hour old, not expired. Uh all right, let me try. Let me get another link for you guys, and it's expired. Okay, rest in peace. Let me get another link that shouldn't be expired after hour though, I don't know whatever. We got Father Deacon and Ias in the house. We got Lewis. We got a lot of our old old discord friends all here with us, old timers, old timers because of course we're all scared. We got to have a mob, right we have. We have to have backup because none of us individually can handle anybody in a debate.
Speaker 4: Or Yeah, finding Muslim people to debate is like trying to herd cats.
Speaker 2: We can't find them. Right. We got the chebar Ali debate.
Speaker 4: Okay, he did great in that I think shaver ally comported himself honorarily. And then now suddenly everyone's scared. Now it's no debate, no one debate Jane, and we.
Speaker 2: Can't find them.
Speaker 4: So it's like they accused lots of ox Christians is being scared.
Speaker 2: We offered the debate.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've said we've done three debates with Muslims, now, so how are we scared?
Speaker 2: It's just nonsense, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And then they set up conditions that they want to groups.
Speaker 2: For us to jump.
Speaker 1: You don't debate me on a blood moon, on a leap, ear in the middle of Texas in an underground cave at two am. Then and we have to debate only in morse code I want to be and it has.
Speaker 4: To be you have to wear seal skins and it has to be more code.
Speaker 2: But you have to write haiku and then you have to record that morse.
Speaker 4: Code onto slate tablets, and then you have to have a blind.
Speaker 1: Man readout has to be translated into Hebrew and then written on vellum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like okay, it's like, how about the.
Speaker 2: Next thing. It would be give me ten million dollars and I'll debate you.
Speaker 1: That'll be the next thing, I require a debater's fee of half a million dollars to appear.
Speaker 5: I have three goods and four CAFs.
Speaker 2: Please, I would also my way, all right, so read check out? Yeah as well, guys.
Speaker 1: The debate has to be done in sign language or Braille. If you don't do an animal sacrifice, if you don't do it in braill, it's because you're low.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so, uh, you guys, just you guys interrupt me. You guys can interrupt me if somebody comes in, if they want to do is there anybody who has any questions or challenges or or debate topics issues? I think I shared the newer link, by the way, so there's the new link if you want to come in. Uh, there will be people vetting people right now, so you guys can come in. I'm not talking to any I'm talking to you. Who am I talking to to you? In the chat?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: You Byzantine in the chat in the discord chat. You can come on. It's open, dude, We've got to open.
Speaker 6: Can you tell people to change the AVI? Is the profile pictures on Discord from the default because we kind.
Speaker 2: Of have a rule against that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so if you come into the dis you come into the discord, you got to do our rules, all right, So when you leave you can go back to whatever you want, but in our discord, please follow the rules.
Speaker 2: Uh have a charge.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't really do no hintai avatars, no, no whatever, there we go.
Speaker 2: No anime advatars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't do that.
Speaker 2: You know this small us in the general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the guy from a couple of nights ago that we spent the whole night with. So, uh, he says he's going to come in. Here we get a uni E who says he'll come in. But we had this discussion for about three hours the other night. So now being mean to the guy, I'm just saying, I think I know where that chet's going to go, But if nobody's going to come in, I'll just kind of like wait until people come and I'll talk about some of the notes from Pelicon.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Yeah, Jay, So I've been watching your stuff for a while.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting, But I was just wondering if you could like point to.
Speaker 7: In the early church, any points where a father is saying that, you know, asking for the intercession of saints is Okay, it.
Speaker 1: Gets explicitly mentioned up by the time that you're dealing with Augustine or with the Cappadocian saints Cyril in the categorical lectures I think mentions it. I know Augustine mentions it explicitly in multiple places in his writings. So yeah, I mean you can. You should be able to pretty easily google like church Father's intercession of the Saints, like that's not really too controversial of a topic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean I guess in my own research when I look into it, it seems kind of not like explicit, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Well, it is explicit when it becomes a question, right, So by the time of Jerome, actually Jerome talks about it explicitly when he writes multiple letters against like Vigilius and the other guy who questions relics and saints, and he writes this really funny treatise just making fun of the guy, telling him that he's basically possessed and he actually just needs to go touch the relics to get the demon out of him. So, I mean, he makes other arguments, but so Jerome has treatises explicitly on it. Augustine mentions it. I'm pretty sure it's in the catechortical lectures of Saint Cyril. But if by explicit mention, we can't think of it like there has to in the first century be a theological defense of every doctrine, or I won't believe it because there's all kinds of things that we wouldn't believe, right, I mean, we don't have a first second century mention of n hypostatized, but this becomes a crucial chrystological statement by the time of Saint Cyril and afterwards. So it's just it's just kind of like a bogus criteria to argue unless I see it explicitly defended or stated, you know, in the post appisode period on will believe it. Well, that's ludicrous. Nobody actually follows that. Like there's all kinds of crystological dogmas that most people believe that you wouldn't believe because it's not stated in the first, second, third century.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, just coming for a Processant background.
Speaker 1: Right, understand, understand, I mean, but I mean there's no uh, I mean, I could just turn that around to Protestant and say, where is the Protestant canon in the first second third century.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course, that's that's one thing that I've been sort of struggling with and you know, looking and listening to your talks, you know, and help me out understanding it.
Speaker 1: Word right, Thanks, no problem. Yeah, so we got you're our first caller in the pseudo live call in stream. Welcome. You were my first ever. I don't really like the idea of calling streams, but whatever, I thought it'd be fun to try it out.
Speaker 5: Long time listeners, Yeah, you're on the air.
Speaker 1: I've got the documents, folks, you're on the air all right. By the way, only an intercession of the saints, I mean that's even in scripture, right, It's even it was even in the Jewish tradition prior to the Church, right. So I'm not saying that's true, because I'm just saying there's early attestations to that. There's prayer, prayers for the dead, and Maccabee's there's the idea of the intercession of the saints. Just comes from the idea of the intercession of saints on earth. Read the Book of Amos where he intercedes, and read you know, when Abraham intercedes, he saves the city. Well, in the Book of the Apocalypse four and five. The saints aren't dead. They're in heaven interceding, so they continue the work of salvation with us as they're in heaven.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 8: That's also in the Book of James. In the Book of James, at some point Saint James, because of the Lord, says that we have to pray for one another. And in other places we know that people, even after the physically dies, alive in Christ. For if you can pray for one another, you can still do it on one specifically sat person is dead. And Saint Jame's also mentions the fact that the prey of the Righteous are especially powerful.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, good prayer. So this is a scriptural there's a real spiritual.
Speaker 8: Basis for all of it, and we can see it being attested in the early history of the Church and even in the Old Covenant.
Speaker 2: There's a full continuity.
Speaker 1: Right. Gert for three dollars says, what do you think about lucid dreams? Uh, we don't really. I mean there are lucid dreams. I've had lucid dreams, but we don't really pay attention to dreams and visions and this kind of stuff, which is not say it can never be done. But you need to be under the guidance of a spiritual father to be kind of looking into that kind of stuff, because we are very prone to delusion, and so most of the Holy Fathers and the Elders and our tradition warns against following dreams and visions and omens and this kind of stuff because we're just so easily deceived by that stuff. Father Deacon, you would agree with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely absolute. It's funny because in my department up in the office, you know, the Social Sciences building, and I was disgusting with one of the professors I think they were a psycho ecology professor, and they have this like reading group and they said, one of the things we do is we interpret dreams. And so this issue kind of came up from an Orthodox perspective.
Speaker 2: So you have these groups of people that.
Speaker 5: Will interpret dreams and trying to attached mean and so we Orthodox shy away from that just because you could think about all kinds of crazy stuff that the conclusions that you could come up from.
Speaker 2: That's not something that we particularly would suggest is safe to do.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you one go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, also, when you know, when a woman talks about our dreams, you just want to shoot yourself in the head.
Speaker 2: So boring, So like, we don't really want to encourage.
Speaker 1: Men to do that either, Father Deacon, could you give us a brief because we have a lot of people, I think in our chat who might be new to these topics, just a brief explanation of maybe, in contrast to Protestantism or Roman Catholicism, what is the spiritual Father and why is that important? Orthodoxy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So one thing that excuse me, that we worked about are keenly aware of in our practice and our theology.
Speaker 2: Is what we call spiritual delusion. Priest and all of us have it.
Speaker 5: And what I think so dangerous about spiritual delusion is that you don't know you have it, Whereas a temptation, it's very easy to IDENTI that the fact that you could actually be being manipulated by demons under the guise of something holy and spiritual impure is quite dangerous. Now, as far as I know, Protestants don't even have a concept.
Speaker 2: Of having spiritual delusion.
Speaker 5: They may talk about temptations and correct me if I'm wrong. In my study of Roman Catholicism, I don't think it's even addressed, is a concept of something existing. And I think it's really important that not only do Protestants not have a concept of being spiritually deluded, but have no mechanism on how to cure that and treat them. And I would say this is something that's so important in Orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: Why we have a spiritual Father is that if we.
Speaker 5: All assume I'm constantly being manipulated by demons, not only in temptations, but being spiritually deluded and thinking that oh, this is from God, or this is something holy that I should be doing, maybe I should maybe God's telling me to interpret people's dreams or something like that. How do you know that you're not deluded? Well, you don't if you are the problem. And so this is what's so important about having a spiritual Father is there's somebody who's experienced and has the credential spiritually speaking, that can have proper discernment and the way that spiritual delusion and the whole spiritual progress as well is acquired through obedience and repentance With an Orthodoxy, so we're really going to stress that means we don't rely on our own abilities. In fact, we're going to admit we're incapable of healing ourselves and getting ourselves out.
Speaker 2: Of the you know, the muck.
Speaker 5: And so what we turn to is an advanced physician of souls who's experienced, and.
Speaker 2: We make ourselves obedience.
Speaker 5: So, as we say in Orthodoxy, there is no spiritual problem.
Speaker 2: You can read all.
Speaker 5: The theology books that you want, You can go to school and get all the degrees and never make any spiritual progress. So the whole point of Orthodoxy is to make spiritual progress to heal ourselves.
Speaker 2: And you need a physician. And so you make.
Speaker 5: Yourself obedient, even as hard as it may be that your spiritual father tells you something you're like, I don't agree with that. Part of the obedience is I'm no longer going to trust in my own abilities, and I'm going to listen to the spiritual Father. And because the spiritual Father, the priest is a sacrament, there is grace bestowed. So even in the faults of individual men is priests, the grace of God still comes through that sacrament and that office.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 5: When you're obedient to your spiritual Father, you're blessed. You're blessed by God, and you begin to again, a spiritual father is somebody that's like a counselor and a doctor that knows you, knows your spiritual medical history. And this is why what you don't want to do is being jumping around from different priests and making confessions, and you need one spiritual doctor who is taking care.
Speaker 2: Of you and can help you in your own repentance.
Speaker 5: So I'd say that's something unique about Orthodox that not only do we have the concept that we're all spiritually diluted, we have the mechanism in place in the structure of the church over the last two thousand years for dealing with that. So that's not something a lot of people talk about.
Speaker 2: But I'm Jay, I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we got some questions about that because people thought that I was saying that you can't talk about a dream. No, what I said was that it's in the Orthodox tradition, you have a guide, right, Paul talks about being Timothy's spiritual father, So you have a guide that you know helps you sort of discern who's actually been down the road already. That's the point here. It's not that you can't talk about these things. In fact, you should talk about these things with your spiritual father. Now, it is correct that a lot of times it's hard to find a spiritual father, especially in America, so that's difficult. Father Deacon. If you're not talking, can you mute because there's kind of like a staticky f back and whatnot. That's okay, but you're welcome to definitely talk. But thank you for that. So, by the way, and the guys in the chat, I'm not saying you can't talk about that, but and there's Lewis and Kai and Grido. There's a guy who's a Roman Catholic named Tony g He says he's trying to get in the discord. Oh okay, Tony, are you there? And for those yeah, hold on for the hold on. If you're not talking, please mute. Guys in the YouTube chat, this is discord, all right. It's not a guest on the show. If you want to come into the discord and chat, you're welcome to. As of now, it's ghetto set up, so I don't have a better way to do it, so there we go go ahead. Guy, what's up?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 9: Hey Jay, I'm a Roman Catholic bit of a layman. I just had a quick question. You often say a movie portray real life. I appreciate the work you do as far as the esoteric work. I just wanted to know the Orthodoxy position on spiritual battle as far as demonic possessions and you know, demonic things that are in living people's houses, because you know, we always see Roman Catholic.
Speaker 2: Priests the forefront.
Speaker 9: As far as handling this battle, I just wanted to know the Orthodoxy position on debt.
Speaker 10: Yeah, if you're not talking pretty mute, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Of course Orthodox Orthodoxy does house blessings. The priests do this like once a year they go around and do house blessing, So there's there's no difference between the Orthodox and Catholic view of that kind of stuff of sacramental theology, blessing the house, blessing water, blessing rivers. I mean, this is very common in the Orthodox Church. So of course we believe in the reality of spiritual warfare. I mean all of the spiritual ascetic writing is about battling the demons. If you read Larsay's trilogy, I mean Larchais wrote this gigantic trilogy Therapy of Spiritual Illness, and it's all about how all of the vices, you could say, are kind of like battling demons. This is all just from the Father's philocalia. So I would argue that really Orthodoxy is who continues this tradition. I mean, we have a lot of monastics in Orthodoxy, Monasticism and ro Catholicism is basically vanishing. So I would say, definitely check out somebody like a father, but not Father, but Jean Claude Larcher therapy of spiritual illnesses, which would answer your question.
Speaker 2: I definitely appreciate the comments.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Also, Father Georgia Korro is really good at He's an Orthodox priest that has a lot of experience with possessions and exorcisms.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's who you mentioned in the past. We need to do it interview with him, Yes, exactly, Ulson says, for seven dollars, here's my imp to roasting you. I'm late to the game. People won't debate you because you're doing brain keto royds. No, sorry, bro, that's that's not a good joke. It would be fair to say that ninety percent of your audience is happy that you did not become I can't read the rest of that. Sorry, he remember if you if you send me a super chat on stream labs, I can only see one long sentence. I can't see a gigantic paragraph. But even though I appreciate the seven dollars, a Ulson, that joke was kind of lame. Bag. I tell for ten dollars, says, what do you think about the Finnish Orthodox Church. I don't have any knowledge of the Finnish Orthodox Church, Father deacon, do you hadn't know anything about this.
Speaker 2: I think they're pretty good. I think they're technically under the EP. But as far as I've heard of it, I haven't heard any problems.
Speaker 1: With he says, with my finished roots, I would feel like it's more natural to join that, But people from the Russian Church tend to speak against it. I don't know. I don't know the drama.
Speaker 5: That's because there's a you gotta know the history between Finland and Russia, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know what is what is the isue, so.
Speaker 5: You know, acquiring lands and wars and stuff like that. So there there's some sensitivity with that. That's not a theological issue. That's a cultural, a cultural issue. I don't personally I imagine this person's asking in Finland because I'm trying to think, like what other Finnish.
Speaker 2: Orthodox churches there are outside of Finland.
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds like that's what he means.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was just gonna say, I'm ethnically finish, and our greatest hero is our greatest hero because he killed like a lot of Russians.
Speaker 3: Like a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, do you know what I'm talking about? Yeah, so, like a lot of Russia.
Speaker 4: Like he killed a lot of Russian so and that guy's out national hero.
Speaker 2: So like Russian Finland relations are still sketchy to this day.
Speaker 1: So basically, you're defending du that is what you're saying. You're here to defend.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am a douan Is, but I get we must.
Speaker 1: We must train the American the right wing to take down America.
Speaker 2: The Dougan Bitcoin.
Speaker 4: I get that, and I share before Jed Dire and kJ be on Twitter.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, is there anybody in the discord that wants to speak up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I had another question?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: A bit of a lament question.
Speaker 9: During this gism when the church is separated, I wanted to know how it worked when it came to going to battle together against you know, Islam and the Crusades.
Speaker 2: How did all that come together? Did they you know, get together and it was.
Speaker 9: Okay for that time when they just separated, you know, just a little bit of clarity on that situation.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the Byzantium was sacked. What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I was wondering because the schism was in ten fifty.
Speaker 1: Four correct officially, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the Crusade were a little bit after that, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were there were at camps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were several attempts to kind of unite, and that offered, uh, what we thought would be kind of a promising lead to possibly be united in something, and it kind of backfired. As Jade pointed out, Byzantium was under attack, and uh, we thought that we could unite and call for the help of the Latins and it really didn't.
Speaker 2: Work out well.
Speaker 1: No, the Latins eventually sack the Latin Bysanthium eventually.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, you guys, I appreciates the answer.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, I'm wrong, dude, Hey Jay, yes, sir.
Speaker 12: I only have a minute, but I did wanna I guess ask you already know me as far as we talked for a really long time yesterday or the day before. If you remember, you probably talked to a million people. But anyway, I guess my question is okay, good.
Speaker 1: Your question as well.
Speaker 2: Craized Latin.
Speaker 12: I guess the clitice learned about extraordinary form, visit team, all that kind of stuff, as well as the Orthodox UH spent about tens visiting Eastern parish Orthodox parishes to the priests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember the story. You don't have to. I'm not trying to be mean, but I remember. You're cutting out.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: If you want to leave the discord and then pop back in, it usually resets the setting. So maybe you won't be cutting out, but you're cutting out right now.
Speaker 12: Kristen diving into the possibility that she might be in the wrong.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: But it Hey, I didn't hear any of that. You cut out for all that, damn, so so exit and come back.
Speaker 2: All right, all right? But oh the joys discord.
Speaker 4: If people want to ask a question and you don't want to hope on stream, just go. If you're in the discord, go to voice text General. I tagged everyone there. You can ask questions and I'll see them.
Speaker 2: To Jay.
Speaker 1: This is the first ghetto pale attempt at a call in show. I don't even like the idea of Collin shows, but we were trying to get okay, well, well we were trying to get it. We were trying to get Is to come debate, and he wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: But we got a question, what's.
Speaker 4: The explanation of Noah's sons and grandsons having different features and skin color?
Speaker 1: Why does it need an explanation? What I mean, people go into different climates and there's a symbiotic relationship between you know, people's physiognomy and their environments. I mean, there's nothing wrong with adaptation. And you know, yeah, people go into southerly climates, they're gonna you know, gradually developed, you know, darker scin or whatever. I don't see why that's even controversial.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got another one.
Speaker 4: What would you say to people who tell you the Bible is impossible because of dinosaurs skeletons existing.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two possible answers. I think that anything that modern science proposes that is bound up with Darwinian naturalism can be legitimately doubted, and we have a basis to be skeptical of. So there's a lot of questions about quote, dinosaur skeletons to begin with. But even if they are real, the Book of Job speaks of all kinds of things that could absolutely be a dinosaurs. So there's nothing inherently contradicting about either position is conceivably defensible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Behemos is a good example of what could possibly be a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Saying, okay, another one, do you think.
Speaker 4: That the Orthodox and Catholic Church could unite in some way in the future. Personally, I couldn't see it. I'm not sure what your take is, Jay, So I just wanted to ask and know your side.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, there's our like if you look at Metropolitan surfim Prius, he wrote a long letter to Francis. He's a famous Greek Conservative bishop. He wrote a long letter saying the thirty four or five elements that the two churches could not unite over. That would have to change. So that's the classical Orthodox position. It doesn't matter what modern and humanists say. You have to adhere to the traditional arguments that we've always made on the basis of the canons and the councils as to what the elements of change and innovation in Rome are. Right in the Middle Ages, in the East. They were called Byzantine lists, and these are the lists of the problems that we have with Rome, things like forbidding pedro communion, forbidding married priests. Those are just one of the many, right, there's a whole bunch of other ones, like philioque and that kind of stuff. Obviously comes first. Papacy. Those are the main issues, but there's a bunch of other issues too.
Speaker 4: Okay, now the question these questions are rolling in, so thanks to everyone in the discord, can you discuss the difference in Protestant Christus Victor versus Orthodox attirement?
Speaker 1: Well, Christus Victor is an attempt to borrow elements of Patristic ideas. So there's nothing inherently anti Orthodox about some of the ideas of Christa's Victor. Because the Lutheran theologian that I think it was a Lutheran guy who went back and tried to reconstruct different theories of atonement from the Patristic period. He's just borrowing from different church fathers and different ideas. So I would actually argue that the Orthodox position has the correct elements of all the positions, right, So all of the positions have elements. Is there a penal substitutionary aspect to it. Yes, Is there a Christ's victor aspect to it?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 1: Just read book three of John Damascus and he explains perfectly in line with all of the Eastern fathers before him and many of the early Latin fathers as to what the orthodox doctrine of the death of Christ and the Atonement is. The last part of book three is the perfect excellent harmony with Christology doctrine. And the Protestants, especially Calvinists, end up as historians with their doctrine. It's that easy, so we don't have to go into Lutheran speculations. And as if we don't know what the doctrine of the atonement and the death of Christ and the descent into Hades is, we do know. Like it's all just academic theories up in the air, not for us. No, the herowing of Hades is a dogma, it's nowhere in Protestantism.
Speaker 2: We have another one, curious on your views on the Church of the East.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't accept that as anymore than any of the other Churches of the East, the so called Orientals. They're just as much in schism as the others.
Speaker 4: Okay, short answer love that in what sense would an Orthodox say that Pope Leo was the archbishop of.
Speaker 1: All the churches in the same way that that same phraseology is used of Con Sentinople. I mean, these kinds of glowing terms and phrases are used often. Uh. The Alexandrian patriarch it is sometimes referred to as the head of churches, the head of all churches Antioch and Basil's letters as he uses that same phraseology. It's that there's a common usage of florid. Uh, what's the term that there's a there's a term for like the glowing phrase phraseology that's used at times. It doesn't always necessarily mean the Vatican One doctrine of papal infallibility. So if you look, if you look at the way Canon, look at the what can you mute if you look at the way Canon twenty eight of Chalcedon speaks of the ecumenical patriarch. It it's ecumenical patriarchate, universal patriarch. It's just a term. There's we don't necessarily read into that universal dogmas or in terms of Vatican One view is all we have to do there. Ifew the Vatican One view is just show that it's not present in the Seven Councils. And that's very easy to do. If that's the case, the Vatican One refutes itself because Vatican One says that its view was always true.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got another one. How do we get people over the quote sky daddy.
Speaker 4: Argument and the quote if God good, why bad things happened?
Speaker 2: Mind? How do we get people over that?
Speaker 1: The easiest way to go about that is just to point out that to do basic pres up first of all, like we're not calling God a sky daddy, as if there's a one to one correspondence between the earthly notion of father and a heavenly literal father. Those are what's called analogia, right, There are analogies between human fathers and God. The Father doesn't mean that God is identically literally a quote guy with a long beard and a dad. He's spoken of as like a father, but he's also spoken of as like many other things. Mute. Can you mute? Just boot that guy if he's so so? Uh so, The sky daddy argument is based on a misunderstanding of what divine names are divine terms. So if you read Dionysius in the Divine Names he will go into detail explaining how we predicated God in what sense we use these words in terms, and then ironically, you know, just boot that guy.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 1: Ironically, atheists even do the same thing. They will speak of nature like it's a mother, like it's an artificer, like it's a designer, like it's a personal cognizant agent able to create and make things, when it's an impersonal chaotic force. So they will do that. They will do the exact all right, booting that guy, just doing that, understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see.
Speaker 5: I'll keep my eyes by the way, even better, look at the personification of science.
Speaker 1: Yes, we got almost three hundred people, by the way, welcome everybody, Thank your father digging. Go ahead and finish that. I thought, if you want to, well, I mean.
Speaker 5: If you notice, let's consult the oracle science. Science says, it tells.
Speaker 1: Us, oh, yes, exactly right.
Speaker 5: It's perfied form of deity that you go to the oracle and givinize.
Speaker 1: Your Yes, the science gods have spoken that COVID you know, doesn't affect riots, right, but it does affect anything else exactly. So, so sky daddy God, I would just do a basic prese up and say that this, First of all, it's not accurate. You guys did the exact same thing with personification of nature, and then you turn around and act like nature has no qualities like this, there's no actual design actually in nature, as they all argue, But then they turn around and talk like there is te loos in nature. Then I would turn around and say that what was the next one? Oh, morals, And I would just simply say that you need something like Christianity to provide a system for a basis for objective ethics. I'm not saying that there's objective ethics just because I say Christianity is true. I'm saying that the system of Christian theology or metaphysics and ethics gives an account for how there's ethics. That's different than just saying well, it's true because we have ethics. And that's two different arguments, right. The atheist doesn't have a basis at all to say something is wrong, something is ethically morally wrong, it's arbitrary. That's two different arguments. So if you can make those that argument and just say oh no, wait a minute, so Christianity is quote evil or bad, but you don't actually believe there is any objective evil or bad, so you have no basis to make an argument that Christianity is bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question is, yes, what advice would you give to an atheist who simply confine it within himself to believe?
Speaker 1: I mean, belief is not a like thing that you work yourself up to. I mean you have to repent, you have to change your life to believe. There's a symbiotic relationship between the repenting and changing our ways and the acquisition of the gift of faith. Right. I mean it's all grace ultimately, in the sense that God is the one that's giving us our providential situations that lead us to believe and repent. And at the same time, grace is all I mean, faith is also a gift, So I would ask God for faith and at the same time, you know, stop whatever degenerates that you're into. That's that's how it works.
Speaker 4: Also, I'm going to send you a someone ask that you put up a screenshot of each as his tweets, So I'll send you a screenshot.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not doing that. I'm not doing that. I'm not We're not doing stupid drama. I mean it's an open invitation. I've invited this guy for eight months to do a debate and he just talks around it all do it in six months? Oh were you you made fun of me? I didn't make fun of you. This is all he does. He just asks, you know, it's it's just drama. I'm not doing that. I mean, we set up we set up a debate with we set up a debate with his teacher. If we set up a debate with his teacher, we set up a debate with everybody else. Have no problems with Zephon Molini, Matt Dela, Hunting, Adam Okesh, all these different well known people and that. I mean, it's been months and months and months of trying to set up a debate with this guy. It's just a waste of time. I'm not gonna even interact with him.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Another question, is there an attempt to unify the Church of the East and Orthodox Church actively going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't keep up with that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know there's been discussions with Monophesites. I don't know about Syrians.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, can you explain what is meant by formal distinctions in God and why Orthodox reject this.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter what terms you use, because we're not Scotis. If you read Scotus's treatises, he has two treatises on the unicity of God and the Existence of God. I've got the treatises right over here on my shelf, and go. We did a whole talk on this. Go watch the talk that we did, me and father Deacon Ananias, where we covered Anselm's ontological argument and Scotus's arguments for divine simplicity, where he equates in a strict identity, will, knowledge, essence, unity, et cetera, all of the attributes of God and he predicates it all on the basis of natural theology. Okay, that's that's not our position. We can't unite with Scotism. So formal distinction of Scotis is just a scholastics, quasi scholastic thing that's invented to try to have a closer position because he's trying to do justice to the Eastern position. It doesn't matter. We already know what the correct distinction is. It's not based on speculations of later theologians in the Middle Ages, because the dogmatic councils have already determined what the distinction is. It's a real distinction between essence and energy, just as real as a distinction between the hypostases. It's not even debated in the in the in the in Our Fathers, It's very clear. I mean, Maximus has tons of passages that discuss this distinction. Right the sixth Council predicates its argumentation on the essence energy distinction being real. I mean imagine saying that creating the world is only formally distinct from Jesus walking on water. I mean, just think how stupid that is. So formal distinctions, A formal distinction is just a scholastic thing to try to have a position closer to the east. But it doesn't matter because I can go to Scotus's other works where he is explicitly says things that we could never agree with.
Speaker 4: Okay, we've got a question that I think if Father Daton is there, I think this would be a good question for him. So I'm an inquire in a very evangelical family. They really don't like orthodoxy, and I don't want to be evangelical anymore.
Speaker 2: What do I do? I can't drive yet, and I don't know anyone orthodox around me.
Speaker 5: I'd say, tickets slow, thank you for your question. I get a lot of these questions and you know, consulted with my spiritual father on how to approach.
Speaker 2: These sorts of things. You know, as many of you converted, know.
Speaker 5: That sometimes you spend a long time is a catechumen, many years. It can be a slow process. So I'd encourage you if you can't get to a service that you know, we have a Catechises program on the discourse here and in fact, I think we correct me if I'm wrong, Jay and Lewis, but we have a Metropolitan Jonah aiding in that process. I'd say, really start trying to you know, get some good reads. We have a good book recommendation. You can always right me questions and if it's above my pay grade, any wisdom that I have, again it comes from my spiritual father, and I'll off to take questions.
Speaker 2: So I think we can help you, and we can.
Speaker 5: You know, you're not hopefully you're not going to be living with your parents forever, and you know, pray, pray that God, you know, provide the means to eventually attend a SERVI us and.
Speaker 2: I would definitely suggest don't argue Orthodoxy with your parents.
Speaker 5: Just try to acquire the spirit of Orthodoxy, and they'll notice a change and they'll begin to inquire, what is this new thing that you've found. That's what i'd suggest, So feel free to write any of us again, We've got a lot of great resources and you can still experience Orthodoxy and.
Speaker 2: Learn a lot about it that way.
Speaker 1: I'm not upset. I get tired of the same questions over and over and over. And when we do entire streams answering those questions and then people ask those questions over and over and over, that's I'm not upset. I'm just saying that it's already been dealt with. We've done this million times. And also because I know the people that will rely on these kind of bogus, you know, ways around arguments. But I'm going to read you from the philosophical writings of John Damascus on page fifty six, says that I establish this knowledge and will of the First Being or God or God is the same as his essence, The divine essence is absolutely identical to its will. And he goes on to say, I have proved thus that the knowledge the Self love and the essence are all identical in the first being, there is no knowledge or accidental He says, there's nothing accidental. No knowledge can be accidental to the first essence. He goes on and explicitly states, so there's nothing. But he says, act as purists. Okay, So, like, how long do we have to keep making the same responses in the same arguments? And he says it over and over over. This is not, you know, like one thing I'm taking out of ord. He says, the love of God is identical the essence of God. Again, don't you understand that that's not the triadic christological dogma of the first seven centuries. We don't teach that, The councils don't teach that. Johnamascus writes entire books against that.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have someone in voice chat who wants to ask a question.
Speaker 1: Welcome manifest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can everybody hear me?
Speaker 3: Fine?
Speaker 2: Can you all right?
Speaker 11: So my question is kind of a compound question, but it's adhering to one ultimate questions. That's okay, Okay, So my question is are you familiar with the letters written in the late nine hundreds and early one thousands, going back and forth between Roman Constantinople that led to the Great Schism, and would you, and if so, would you please explain for us the contents and refutation to the Roman Catholic argument at the Orthodox Church schisms and not the other way around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Read Francis de Vornik's entire book on it, and he is one of your top Unity eight scholars who've been indicates and admits our position. How's that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: What was the name of that book again.
Speaker 1: Father Francis de Vornik, The Phocian Schism. It's a famous, well known book.
Speaker 2: I think it referring to the you know, the business.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, but I'm saying that the Vornick covers that whole period of the Phocian Schism.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you. I'll look into that. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: Manifest Okay, next question, Jay, how do you see the alien slash extraterrestrial syop evolve in the coming year.
Speaker 1: That's not really what we're here to tell. I mean, I mean, I specify it's okay, I mean I don't I don't know. I mean, it's entirely possible that they could throw that kind of a thing at us. After all, the corunka nonsense. I don't. I don't personally think it'll go that far, but it could. But I mean, we're here right now to talk about I said, atheism, logic, metaphysics, biblical theology, Early Church, Islam, Protestant Roman Catholics. So that's what we're here to talk about today, not not UFOs. I guess, I guess that fits under metaphysics. So I guess do aliens exist as a metaphysical question? So I guess I guess he is within the balance of what we're here to talk about. But anybody else, if you want to, feel free to offer up a super chat question whatever. I put into the link in the chat here. Sometimes the discord app crashes, so Discordous crash. Let me pull it back up. So the app the app crash. But if you're on the video, if you're watching on YouTube, I put into the chat the link to Father Deacon and Night's discussion of Dunscotis and and some we deal with the theology of those two guys, and are they compatible with the Orthodox theology? So contrary to the Ecumenists, they're not. We already have the decisions of the Palomite Synods which are binding for us, which make it very clear that you can't. I mean, just read the Tomos of John Becos. You can't accept Romatholicism if you're Orthodox. I don't know why people don't know this. It's not very difficult to see what the Tomos of John Becos says. It explicitly denies union on the Filioquay issues. It's not rocket science that we're doing here. What is the Orthodox position on? I don't know what that is, Gertz says on sestuy Quay v Act of sixteen sixty six. I have no I have no idea what that is. Sorry, I can't. I'm not trying to avoid it, but I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the questions, sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when I asked, would you end capturing Christianity debate?
Speaker 2: I know this has come up before. I think Capturing Christianity refused to debate, didn't he?
Speaker 1: Well, we were supposed to. I was supposed to debate inspiring philosophy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then they said they said that I had to agree to not make any quote insults, which we'd already agreed to the debate. And then they added on these new criterias that you can't say anything critical or insulting of the other person. And I said, well, that's too vague. Uh, And I said, I'm We've already agreed to a debate, and I'm gonna You know, if I make a mistake in the debate, you're supposed to call it out. You don't change the criteria of what I can and can't say before the debate happens that you've already agreed to. So they changed the criteria of what couldn't couldn't be said. And so I said, I'm still willing to debate, but you're not gonna tell me what I can and can't say. So then I said, well, why don't capture Christianity. Why don't you come debate me as well? And he wouldn't do it. So neither of them wanted to debate. This was before they were actually familiar with what I do or what I talk about. And then when I went and looked into what I argue in my background, then he decided to come up with this new criterion how to back out. So I think he backed out. If Cameron would love to to, I would love to have Cameron come on, because he believes, with absolutely no training at all, that he can destroy and refute the transcendental argument. I would love, I would I would die to uh to debate capturing Christianity on the transcendental argument and whether it's sound and valid. So please, Cameron, I pe either one of you come debate. I promised I won't be mean to you. I won't hurt your feelings. I promise, But I don't think that they actually they don't really want to debate. That's the root of this issue.
Speaker 5: And Cameron, if you're listening, if you don't want Jay, I'm always here and I'm a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Father Deacon is much nicer than me, So he's uh, he's a better he's a better philosopher, more, he's well, he's more trained than I am. So feel free to also have an interaction with Father Diacon. Doctor Annias, We've.
Speaker 2: Got another question.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on the visions of Bishop Hieronymous. I've got angelos. He prophesied the mass future conversion of Germany to Orthodoxy, as well as the destruction of the papacy in World War three, as well as a final ecumenical council to stamp out every heresy.
Speaker 1: I've never heard this as new to me. I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, heard that.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty cool, but I don't know what about it. Would you be willing to debate ef Dawa, Dude, I've already debated. We had an aazam before on they uploaded this to the channel. I mean, here's a challenge. So Christianity has been on the defensive debating their texts to the Muslims for thirty years in you know, online audio debates right all the way back to twenty thirty years ago. Right when is a Muslim actually going to step up and defend their theology? They never do it. They won't debate their theology. They will only debate basing their arguments on liberal higher criticism. That's all they ever want to debate. And then because anytime it gets into their territory, it collapses. So I'm not going to just debate you on the Gospel of John. Just like sam Simun Shamun said, We're going to debate Gospel John and the Koran and whether it contradicts itself. Those are the we don't just do only our texts, and you guys know that you won't debate your text because it's difficult to defend because it's impossible, and none of them. I'm starting to figure out that the reason that the Muslims won't debate is because they don't have good theology that's logical, Like, they won't do logic debates. They're not good at logically debating because they don't know typical basic fallacies. I'm not trying to be mean to those guys. I'm not saying that none of them are good at debating. I'm saying that most of them who talk all the smack, they don't know basic fallacies, and so they'll talk about you use a bunch of philosophy logic. Yeah, you can't debate without philosophy logic. There's no such thing as a debate that doesn't have criteria of fallacies contradictions. That's called logic. Those are called fallacies. That's philosophy. That's the domain of philosophy. It's called logic. Everybody knows this right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Okay, we got another one.
Speaker 2: We have literally like two hundred questions.
Speaker 1: No, hold on, hold on, So there's a guy in the chat say that is false. No, your debates, You guys won't debate your texts. Shaver Eli did not want to debate his text. I don't just mean the text itself. I'm talking about the theology of those texts, right, the Taoheed doctrine, the Tanzi doctrine. You don't want to debate those doctrines. That's what I'm talking about. It's not a cop dude, What are you talking about it? He says. He says, I'm copping out, dude. We've invited what's seven six seven of your top scholars and they won't debate Shabira Lee. Credit to Shabira Lee because he did. So what are you talking about? I'm not This is what you guys do? You say cop out when we invite you on all the time. There's an open invitation to Muhammed he Jubb yesterday, right undred four hundred, four hundred likes on the tweet, two one hundred and twenty retweets, and he ignores the tweet like you didn't see it. Come on, come on, don't don't tell me it's a cop out. When you guys won't come on in debate, I mean imagine inviting. So this is that we've done three public debates with Muslim No One of them. They're top debaters. And their reply is, you're scared and you're copping out. We've invited what Lewis tell me? He isn't six seven Muslim scholars.
Speaker 2: Now it's like seven or eight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you talking about? Total nonsense? All right, sorry, go ahead, Grido, do.
Speaker 2: You want to Oh?
Speaker 4: So, someone asked, I know that there have been critiques of the Catholic view of Mary where they almost view her as a co source of salvation. How is this different in the Orthodox Church where they ask Mary to save.
Speaker 1: Us the same way that we ask anyone else to pray for us and save us. Obviously her prayers have more efficacy because she's the highest of God's creation. Right, But Paul says, in doing so you will say you know, he says, keep this, this, this, and in doing so you will save those around you.
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 1: Does Paul mean that creatures become saviors like Jesus? No, this is the standard typical Protestant heretical slipped up on words. You guys get slipped up on words because, just like the Muslims, you think that words only have one meaning in one sense. So it's just the word concept fallacy. It's two different senses to salvation. Right, you can have a person who aids in your salvation without being the ultimate source of the salvation. Paul says we are co workers with God. Does that mean ah, he said, a coworker with God. So Paul thinks we're equal to God. You see what this is? Just silly. Nobody does this in the rest of their life, in the rest of their texts. Right, you don't always squish. Yeah, you don't squish a word into only having one meaning in one sense. Nobody does this in the rest of their life. Right, what does doctor bo say? A kid? Oh, a kid always means a goat. Right, So if you have a kid, you have this is what are you talking about? It's different senses of the word. This is childishness. Anyway, I'm getting all wild up. Uh, just go watch Craig Triulia's videos on Mary. He has plenty of great videos on Mary and the northodox Ya. So there's your answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Greg, In.
Speaker 4: General, another one, Keny the deacon, you'd probably want to can you outline an atheist starter kit for Orthodoxy? What should be the duties of an ex atheist before joining the Orthodox Church?
Speaker 1: Well, Father Deacon, while you answered that I'm gonna go we we So do you feel free to take over here.
Speaker 4: An atheist starter camp, start a kit? So, like what should like an atheist person, like what books should they read?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What what what should they buy first? Coming into Orthodoxy?
Speaker 3: Like nihilism?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Father Sarah and Rise is great. Ye.
Speaker 5: I'd also probably supplement some of the Orthodox reads with.
Speaker 2: See because I'd say a lot of the atheists you encounter are just deficient in the rich history of kind.
Speaker 5: Of theism within the kind of concepts, even like Aristota on the Plato that.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: John I would probably the Orthodox faith saying John Damascus would be good because then you're you're talking about the attributes God. Let's see, you could always have them reads.
Speaker 2: He's brothers. Karen is off too. That's converted a lot of.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 14: I'm trying to think, you know, just generally, something that I noticed is that.
Speaker 5: Most atheists that we encounter are generally deficient in the great works in literature and theology.
Speaker 2: So you know, Leje Toli, just take up and read it. That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: If you you never want a strong man your opponent's position, so when you go into debate, you know, like us, we read as much as possible of our opponents theology or philosophy and literature so.
Speaker 2: That we're not misrepresenting it, so that when we do form a critique, the critique is a good one. You don't want to ever straw Man. And I think that's something that most atheists could learn from.
Speaker 5: You know, you get these people like Lawrence Kraus, even like the popular atheists.
Speaker 2: Dockings. None of these people have studied philosophy.
Speaker 5: Let alone theology, yet they're going to formulate these stupid straw Man critiques. So again, I just think it would be a really good atheist starter kit, great books, liberal arts program. There you go, because you're going to get the church history of the philosophy.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, I'm back and we're done.
Speaker 2: Yea. I was just saying that, actually, you know what a good atheist starter kit.
Speaker 3: Would be.
Speaker 5: Simply a great books, liberal arts program for atheists. Uh read Well, I'm just saying they're deficient in the literature. They don't even know, you know, what they're talking about when they're formulating these critiques.
Speaker 2: And I don't think I think it would be beneficial not just to read up on orthodox theology, but.
Speaker 5: The history of Western thought in general, going back a Greek philosophy as well.
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess I highly doubt Lawrence Craft ever read Crime and Punishment.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question.
Speaker 1: Crime and Punishment is great, by the way, I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: There's one of two thousand books on my reading list. I have a book for every year that I have a book for every year that the earth has existed. It's like two thousand, roughly two thousand.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: What significant theological differences exist between Eastern and Oriental orthodox other than the Calcedonian issue.
Speaker 2: I've not been able to find.
Speaker 4: A good articulation of their differences other than the Calcedonian controversy.
Speaker 1: They're not united. A snack you could probably speak to this. If you're in here, you may have gone. I don't know, but I mean, they have a lot of division. They meet like once or twice a year, and they just kind of act like they're in communion. But they have all kinds of vast divergences amongst them, from animal sacrifice to circumcision to all kinds of bizarre things. So I'm not trying to be mean, but I mean that the Oriental quote unquote Orthodox Communion is not really any kind of unified thing at all. That's just in theory.
Speaker 15: It's more similar to the Anglican Commune, where they will have like new large differences and even like vising them, you will have you know, the Armenians today they are more Cacedonians in terms of christology. Yeah, again circumcision because in marriage, use of living and unleven bred.
Speaker 2: Animal sacrifice.
Speaker 16: Between these ches, you're forgetting one of the other crucial differences neck, which is that the Ethiopians have a different canon from the rest of the Oriental Orthodox, so they include.
Speaker 2: I mean we have slight variations again between the different works.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, when it comes to the it's like really different, Like they literally have changes to the New Testament, which is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean there's all kinds of other issues too. I mean that the the the I mean, you got like the poption out a writing a whole treatise a few years ago against the Osis, which is I mean ludicrous, unfathomable. It reads like something James White would have written. I mean, the idea that you could be an Orthodox pope of Alexandria quote unquote, that's they're called the pope of Alexandria and uh, you know you're the successor to Athanasius and you write a whole treatise against the Osis. I mean this is just preposterous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, some people opposed it in his church for doing this one.
Speaker 1: Snack snack you cut out there? Can you repeat that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, there's been a lot of opposition because it's inside this church.
Speaker 2: So this Matthews the poor where you have burst it.
Speaker 8: He read the Fathers in Greek and he taught Theosis and at this point and he was one of the biggest mystics of the Coptic quote.
Speaker 1: Well, imagine having this stress on the union, but right, I mean they have this over emphasis on union when it comes to who or what Christ is and then turning around in denying Theosis. This is it's like, I don't know, I can't fathom how. But I mean when you when you read their theology in that guy's theology, or if you listen to David's debate, I mean, if you heard David's debate, it's they're they're like all over the place, right, you start talking about energies and they don't even know. They're like, I don't know, Yeah, there's energies, but maybe there's one or two or kind. I don't know. I mean, it's come on, we have a clear, precise theology when it comes to person, nature, will, essence, energy, all that stuff. It's consistent from the Triad to Christology. That's the big difference there too, is that they don't see that there's a correspondence between nature, person, will, energy in the Triad into Christology. They disagree with that. Republicative predication, reduplicate predication.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Okay, what would you say to someone who claims that John seven, five, three through eight to eleven is a fabrication by the early Church to push Christianity over Mosaic law, or just the fabrication in general.
Speaker 1: We covered this in the James snapstream. We did a whole stream on this. I don't even think it's out of accord with the Old Testament. Go listen to the James snapstream we did on textual history.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, because in mosaic law you had to have the man who she committed with you exactly.
Speaker 2: That was what the issue was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in many in many other places, Jesus absolutely upholds the continuity with the mosaic administration. So the idea that there's not continuity is kind of ludicrous. But go ahead, Okay, this.
Speaker 2: Is for either you or Father de Yeah. Are my prayers for others, both alive and past, even uh even heard?
Speaker 4: If I'm not baptized in the Orthodox Church or participating in the EU Christ, do you have any recommended prayers for those who have died before finding Christ slash Orthodoxy?
Speaker 1: I would answer that yes, God can hear all prayers because God, it says God heard Cornelius's prayers before he was baptized.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, and you can use any prayers.
Speaker 6: The only place that non Orthodox aren't commemorated is that the alta in the preparation of the Eucharist in the Proscamede.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 16: Jordanville has a really good prayer book if you want one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bather Digan, did you want to comment on that, I mean to cut you off.
Speaker 2: No, that's exactly correct answer.
Speaker 3: Of course, got.
Speaker 2: All our prayers. But at the same time it encourages.
Speaker 5: Us to go further into Orthodoxy because the prayers are a righteous man avails much.
Speaker 14: And so I try to use that.
Speaker 5: As you know, it's hard to motivate myself to do stuff when I just think about myself. But if I realize that you know, other people depend on me. And I don't know how all of you feel about this, but for me, that's kind of a motivating factor.
Speaker 2: At lights a fire and it needs me. And the that's.
Speaker 5: Something that we could do, is that know that you know other people depend on us, and that maybe I can't motivate myself to get, you know, further my spiritual life.
Speaker 2: The fact that if you get further into spiritual life, you will be helping others is a wonderful thing.
Speaker 1: Garbage man has a question for seven dollars that looks like it's probably intended to trap me. The position on the church is that the church is the new Israel. So that should tell you the obvious answer to that question. It shouldn't be very hard for you to figure that out. Although I do appreciate your appreciate your seven dollars. There should be plenty of quotes that explain to you what our position is. Gert sends a dollar and he says, in the future garden City, will we go back to being androgynist beings described in Genesis? We're not androgynist beings. Genesis I don't think describes androgynist beings. So if you if you read uh Father Sara from Rose in Genesis Creation Early Man, he actually has a section where he talks about how he and I think he's correct. Uh, there there was gender before the fall. Some of the Eastern fathers speculated on this and speculator that maybe gender wasn't introduced after the Fall. I don't believe that. But obviously, by the way, Jay.
Speaker 5: I'd avoid the what's called the woke PC translation of the Bible.
Speaker 1: We might actually get, Yeah, I get an orthodox study. By yeah, I would say, I don't know what, but which which one are you talking about? Like N I V or something or I'm just you mean, like when they come out with the like the the literal woke Bible exactly, they will probably have like the woke study Bible, right, Okay, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just a prosperity gospel and uh liberation theology.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's your wife stuff, right. Next question.
Speaker 4: The next question is what, if any difference is there between monophysitism and mea physicism. Is there an actual difference or is it just an attempt at obfuscation by the Orientals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, all of these have been dealt with with hours and hours of streams with David me and David. David has an entire lecture course on this topic. He just did a stream on my physicum. So go to David the real medwif's channel. He did a two and a half hour stream on my ephicitism. And yes, there is an orthodox way to understand my physitism Saint Cyril of Alexander, the Christological controversy. That whole book is written by Father John McGuckin to explain that topic. So no, it's not all obbliscation. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just saying that one of the reasons that we do like a long two hour stream answering each one of these types of topics, whether it's John Denscotis or whether it's my physitism, is so that we don't have to like constantly rehearse, you know, an hour's worth of material. One reason I'm doing this is because when people come to the discord, which I'm fine with, I enjoy that, you know, every other day we're doing like five six seven hour talks and then this you know, two days later the same question comes up. How is some sooner just sinction, not pell I mean, not neoplatonism. And we've already spent four hours the day before talking about that, so there's no point in just constantly redoing the same talk. So I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just saying that if David does twenty different streams explaining that very question, go watch David's stream or read the mcguck and book searching for three dollars. I'm an atheist who finds myself unsatisfied with moral relativism and unanswered big questions. I can't seem to accept any non empirical evidence outside of my senses. How do I? And then it trails off. I can't see the rest of it. So I mean, just think about numbers and math objective or excuse me, abstract entities. They're obviously not identical to empirical stuff. So you already do believe in non empirical things. If you believe in logic, if you believe in math, geometry, you already believe concepts those are non empirical. So I would just argue that you already believe in non empirical evidence, because evidence as a concept is not matter. So when you say you believe in evidence, it's non empirical already. That's my response to that. But thank you for this.
Speaker 6: If he, if he has issues, is more relativism. He presumably believes in the existence of moral facts, which are.
Speaker 1: Also not matter. Right, So you're talking about value judgments, right, if you're making a statement about something being morally wrong or right. Well, if everything's just matter, there are no value judgments. Everything just is, you say, So saying something is wrong requires categories that are not identical to or reducible will to matter or states of matter.
Speaker 2: It's called the naturalism, Pallas.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Thank you, But great question. They're searching much appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Okay, what happens to people who never heard of Orthodoxy after death? For example, the Pagans that died before they had contact with Christianity.
Speaker 2: How are they judged?
Speaker 1: So I think we had this same question about an hour ago, and then we had the same question, yester, I'm just laughing because that's why we're doing this, So we don't have to keep doing this. I mean, so again we have the heroing of Hades doctrine, everybody that died before the coming of Christ were told in the New Testament they were in Hades. Peter says the Gospel was preached to those who were dead. Jesus descended into Hades at his death to preach the Gospel. The church fathers are very clear about this. Saint Cyril of Alexander has multiple section wy he talks about this, and he says, the Gospel has preached to all of the Old Testament dead. That's it now. People who nowadays die outside of hearing the Gospel. Paul says in the Romans too, that they have a light that is given to them the law of nature. They will be judged by the law of nature. That doesn't mean they're automatically saved. They still have to have some exposure to Christ to attain theosis. You can be saved without theosis. So whether God preaches to them in some way, we don't know. We leave that up to God. The Orthodox Church or the Eastern tradition is not as interested in trying to figure all this stuff out because we're simply not told. Ubi Petris just did a giant floora gellium of the fate of unbaptized infants, right, and so go to Ubi Petris, and you'll see that we have a tradition of not really trying to speculate other than to commend people to God. We don't know, but we have the injunction that we have to preach the Gospel. We have to convert people. Whether God reaches them in some unknown way is up to God.
Speaker 4: An interesting factoy into tradition, Plato heard the Gospel while in Hades and repented, and he actually appeared to a monk and told him to stop cursing him.
Speaker 1: Entirely possible. So I will there, funny, here is the Here is Ubi Petris's patristic list of fate of unbaptized infants. So that will kind of give you an insight into the question you're asking there. So you've got quotes from iaron a is talking about the recapitulation that Christ's incarnation reaches to all of human nature. Gregory, the theologian, Gregory, of course, spoke often of this Ambrose, Innocent, Zosimus Carthage. What else is in there, Gregory the Great? So that you'll you'll see that there is a kind of a uh, we should know that the when baptized infants die, they enjoy paradise. Those not illumined by baptism do not go to paradise nor gahinna. So that's on the Sunday of meat fair, you see. So anyway, there's more in that link. We don't speculate, We don't worry about those kinds of things. We don't know. God doesn't tell us everything, so we can't sit around speculating try to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Okay, we got a question, which is actually four questions from a Muslim, so we'll just go one by one. So how come the trinity is hard to explain when the Bible says in First Corinthians fourteen thirty three that God is not the author of introdusion.
Speaker 1: Okay, so just because Paul says God's not the author of confusion, if you look at the context, he's talking about people who were being riotous in the church. He's not talking about theology. Paul talks in many places about difficult theological writings. In fact, Peter even says Paul's writings are difficult, so difficult and meat Hebrews calls doctrine. That's me. It's not the same thing as confusion. The confusion that Corinthians is talking about is people getting drunk, people committing fornication, people not taking the Lord's Supper seriously in all manner of you know, it sounds like a Protestant charismatic service that Paul is rebuking, right. I mean, he's saying, you guys are acting like looms here, flopping around, acting crazy, doing all kinds of nonsense. That's the confusions. He's not saying that there's no difficult theology. Your own Muslim schools of philosophy are difficult. So that's a terrible argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd also.
Speaker 6: Say, if you're interested in I just want to add is check out the videos I did with bo on the Trinity, because I think the current sort of popular Eganitarian or social Trinitarian view where the divine essence is, you know, God, is the problem that a lot of Muslims might end up having. So we need to reinstate the doctrine of the monarchia of the Father and the energies absolutely because if you go by Cappadocian theology, they absolutely reject. I mean, I'm sure if your listening Muslims, you know you're here that you know, oh yeah, well so there's the you know, there's the nature, and that's God.
Speaker 2: And then because all the persons participate in that, well that's how we we call why we call them God.
Speaker 6: But the whole, the whole premise of the Cappadocians who did to basically fleshed out the Trinitarian theology was to just absolutely deny that you could predicate any name of the divinessence, including God or anything. Okay, so that's not yeah, yeah no, So just check out the just check out the videos I did with both at Orthodox you had us.
Speaker 1: Just go over to my community tab on my channel right there, the community tab, and if you look at the first one there, David has a three hour lecture on Mayaphi site. So there's the answer to the myophasite question. Scroll down a little bit and I have a one hour talk from two days ago with al Fadi on the monarchy of the Father. So it's all it's all right there, or you can go to.
Speaker 5: My twenty four hour talk hours. By the way, guys, I'm gonna I need. I want to say what a blessing, my prayers to you all and great questions and thank you Jay Lewis so Bros.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Father. Well, I'm still here. We got we got our largest crowd yet, We're right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I just wanted to bow out in case there of questions directed at me. Okay, I'm sure you guys will be fine to answer that.
Speaker 1: I'll put Father Deacon in and eye. I'll put everybody's channels below as well. When the stream is done, so I'll be sure and follow Father Deacon and then they'll have Lewis and Kai and everybody's snacks stuff too. So David as well, Thank you, Father, appreciate that absolutely.
Speaker 2: David. Yeah, O cool.
Speaker 6: Thanks to see if other from this, let's try let's keep trailblazing through these Muslim questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can you explain why the Trinity is not in the Old Testament and why it was only reviewed during Jesus's missionary.
Speaker 1: Like every debate and topic that we've had on this top on this question is arguing the Trinity from the Old Testament. So first of all, go look at all the things that we've done to date, every time that I've had a discussion with Sam, with any the whole list that I put up on the whiteboard, it's all the Theophanes of the Old Testament. That's the Trinity. Okay, Father, Son, and Spirit are all over the Old Testament, so go watch those and you'll see where I cover all the Theophanes in Genesis. This is a personage separate from the person of the Father, who's given worship, who's given the divine name, who's called the Redeemer, who's called Yahweh, who's called the Lord, he's called God, he's called all of these things consistently. Right, I've done many, many talks. I have a whole stream on the Theophanes and and the Trinity in the Old Testament. Just a stream on that you can go watch. That is Jesus God is the Trinity Biblical. That's whole stream against rocking mister e And all I do is argue at this point, read Zechariah one. There you'll see Father, Redeemer, Angel, the Lord, and Spirit. If you read the book of Isaiah. I just did a talk on Isaiah, and I talked about the many instances where you find the triad in Isaiah. So the doctrine of the Trinity as explicated by the Cappadocians and the Niceno Constantopolitan Creed is not in the Old Testament, because we believe in redemptive history that there is a period where there's a coming of the Church that completes the fulfillments of the prophecies of the Old Testament. So obviously the life of the Messiah is not going to be present in its full form prior to the coming of the Messiah. Obviously the prophecies of Isaiah are not going to be present prior to Isaiah. So that's like saying, why isn't the fulfillment of all these things there before the fulfillment? It doesn't make any sense because of the progression of progressive revelation, redemptive history, and the fulfillment of these things when the Messiah comes. So obviously, look, that's like, look, there's not a full fledged, full revelation in the sense of what Isaiah has in the time of Abraham. Right, does does Abraham know as much as Isaiah?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Obviously would we therefore conclude from that that Isaiah is false because it's not fully revealed in Abraham's day all the things that Isaiah said. Of course, not so in the same way, just because not everything that's fully revealing in the New Testament is not present in the Old Testament. We don't cancel it out. That's just presupposing that we're not the fulfillment, but we are the fulfillment. That's the point here, right. The New Testament is the fulfillment of what the Old Testament is. Looking forward to countless Old Testament prophecy. How many times does it say the gentiles will be brought into the Covenant, that they will be worshiping the God of Israel, and that when the Gentiles begin to convert in mass, that's when you'll know the Messiah has come. And what do you know, when Jesus comes suddenly entire Gentile nations for centuries, for millennia converting. Obviously, Jesus is the Messiah. So this kind of Muslim argument just is based on ignorance about our theology and the notion of the completion of the Old Testament prophecies in the person of Christ.
Speaker 6: Can I add to that, guy I Chris here he can add as well, is the we have to really consider also that even in Islam there's a development of the theology of God over debates for centuries after the Qur'an. I don't know, you may not. Whoever asked a question may not be familiar with this, but there ends up being a very specific formulation of what attributes there are, what an attribute is, what constitutes an attribute, how they relate to creation, whether or not, how they relate to the essence of God, and those are very precise, and they're not contained in that in their formulation of as part of Klam philosophy inside the inside the Qur'an, but they are still required believing for people who are part of those schools. So I don't know if you're if you're a Salafie, but that's mainstream Synism anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but as we see every time we get into this kind of argument, it's moved the goalposts. Right, Oh that's the case for you, but not for me.
Speaker 3: But in all fairness, if I can just must yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: Muslims in the majority, they are even just completey ignorant of their own traditions, and so they don't even know that there was this development within Islam itself. They are typically of a mindset like that Islam is has been static for fourteen hundred years, that it was revealed and hasn't changed one bit, and so they just either there's just a dumbfounded when you start encountering them on this, and then they'll just start making up.
Speaker 3: Excuses and this and that, switching positions. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just important to note that, you know, if you want to, you know, we're happy to say, for the sake of debate, if you're willing to accept that our scriptures hold our core doctrines, then we're happy to accept that the Quran holds the you know, the specific like ashari or matter ready formulation for the sake of debate. But you know, if you're going to use that argument, you know that the trinity that even the hardware or as Jay use, the analogy of the gems, the the or the raw or of the trinity isn't in the biblical text. Then you know, we're just going to say that, you know that the attribute specific attribute theology isn't there in the Quran.
Speaker 1: Either, right exactly? Yeah, excellent point. How chicken baby five dollars can you explain the Trinity? For NWBS? There is an eight minute video that somebody clipped where I did this kind of an explanation of the Trinity. I think it's on this Institium Bourbum website or channel. I'll post that, but basically, we believe on the basis of what's in revelation what the Trinity is right, so it's not sitting around and philosophically speculating. Primarily that gives us the doctor of the Trinity at scripture. So the Old Testament reveals God the Father, and God the Father has this secondary person that he generates that is the Angel of the Lord, that is the Messenger of the Covenant, that is the Angel Redeemer. In the Old Testament, there's many, many, many passages. Again I've gone over this many many times, and that Angel of the Lord so to speak, is revealed to be fully divine right and eventually revealed as the Son of God. We say so, we say that that is Jesus right, because Jesus the Trinity has always been there. It's always been who God is. It didn't change or become three gods or something like this. It's always been Father, Son, and Spirit. But the full revelation of that was progressive. Now even in Judaism there's progressive revelation. Again, they don't believe that Isaiah or excuse me, in the time of Abraham, that you know, Abraham knew as much as Isaiah would know or Malachi or any of the later prophets right, because there's more revelation that comes via the Spirit of God speaking through the Old Testament prophets. So this revelation is progressive. It never contradicts previous revelation. But it's very clear in again dozens and dozens and dozens of passages in the Old Testament that it's not just a strict Father God. There's also this Angel of the Lord, this theophanic manifestation that wrestles with Jacob, that speaks to Manoah's parents, that goes to battle for the Israelites, that's present in the the burning bush right, that appears to David, even in the historical books, that appears over the altar of Israel, the cloud, the pillar, over and over and over. We see this stuff throughout the Old Testament. Ezekiel sees, and Ezekiel one, and Ezekiel ten, Ezekiel one, and Ezigel nine and ten. This wheel and then in the midst of this chariot that he sees is one like the son of Man. That's the same one like a son of Man that Daniel sees right in his vision in Daniel seven. It's the same that's what we're saying, that's all we're saying. Now, that's Father, that's son, and spirit. Spirit is mentioned many times, right, It's mentioned in Genesis, it's mentioned in Zechariah one, it's mentioned in Isaiah. So we consistently see in many, even in many chapters of Isaiah, this triadic manifestation of Father, Angel of the Lord, Messenger's son, and the Spirit of the Lord. The Spirit of the Lord does this spirit. So how is the Spirit of the Lord doing this and that and yet also being distinguished from Father and Messenger, Angel of the Lord logos. Well, because there's three persons. And when we get to the New Testament, which again we're saying, is the fulfillments, the full explanation and explication of the Old Testament, there's not a discontinuity. It's continuity. Right. When we see Jesus in the Book of John, especially not just the Book of John, but in the Book of John right fourteen, sixteen seventeen, he goes into linky explanations of the relationship between him and the Father and the Spirit who he will send. So it's imperfect. When you are really fluent in the Old Testament, you see it everywhere it's like it's a no brainer. It's like, well, yeah, this is everywhere in the Old Testament. What are you talking about? So the fact that modern day Jews debate over this is really irrelevant to our position. It doesn't mean anything. I mean, it's just relevant in the sense that it's like an academic you know, dispute or whatever. But to our theology, it doesn't matter because we don't have the same theology as modern Judaism obviously. I mean, you see rabbinical debates after you know, the the first century with Judaism and Christianity part ways. When you get the eventually the different talmuds that are that are put together, you see debates amongst rabbis over what these Theophanes are, you know, is it the essence of God? Is it a second manifestation of God? Is it an emanation? Is it uh, some sort of angelic metatron being?
Speaker 5: Is it this?
Speaker 3: Is it that?
Speaker 1: Is it a hologram an angel? Right, so they have the same debates right going on that we will see when we bring this topic up. Right, It's an echo of the debate that that Justin Martyr has with Tripho. What does Justin mart keep going to the Angel of the Lord. Right, Why is the Angel Lord given worship? Only God can be worshiped anyway. So the easiest way to start with the Trinity is I got lost in that explanation. But these way to start with this is to start with the Bible. Right, So we're not because we're not basing this on philosophy like oh the you know, I sat around and I read a bunch of Plato, and I figured out, you know, based on number theory, that now there are analogies that you can make to numbers and this kind of stuff. Think about one to the third power, right, that's one thing and three things at the same time. Think about the number three. It's singular and it's also triadic at once.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 1: I Mean, there's all kinds of things in the world that do have a one and many aspects to them that the church fathers frequently make usage of to demonstrate a one many relationship that's analogous to God, not a one to one correspondent's been an analogy. They do it all the time. They do mind, will and soul right or spirit as an analogy, on on and on. So there's all kinds of things that are analogous to something being one and many. But there's no perfect creaturely analog or one to one correspondence to God because God may the creatures, and so by definition God being infinite, being omniscient, etc. There's never going to be anything that perfectly matches up to God. So that's why we're talking about on one level, a revelation for us that is kind of the final authority. But that doesn't mean that it's out of accord with logic or reasoning or these kinds of things. Because the created world and the logic and the principles of logic, numbers, math, whatever that God has put into place in the created order, they do bear some correspondence to the mind of God. And so there can be at one at a certain level and analogia analogies that are made, but we don't do a one to one correspondence as if the number one is equal to God's unity. God's unity is not identical to the number one. The number one is a created concept.
Speaker 2: Next mism question, Okay, so this is or from the same guy.
Speaker 4: The next not mind memory boring questions, So do you believe the Bible is preserved or even a trustworthy document about the life of Jesus and his teachings.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we have we have to believe that. I mean that the doctrine of the inspirational Scriptures is part of our dogmatic theology. There's no church father who denies that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next part and then thank God, we can move on. He says, if you have Okay, So he's posing necessarily.
Speaker 6: If the Bible, if we believe it is not preserved, you don't need we don't need to ask that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we'll just skip that.
Speaker 6: I mean he said, he said, he said, if you accept the Bible is not preserved, the question for but we we accept as preserved.
Speaker 1: I mean there's yeah, we don't accept that premise.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's dumb. Okay. It's like saying, can you imagine infinity?
Speaker 1: Could you imagine a well, where's that? Imagine a universe? Was there is a planet with a computer and no gun?
Speaker 3: The quant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you have the machine else maybe they can take chill infinity.
Speaker 2: Uh okay.
Speaker 4: Next, is is there any good Orthodox books that deal with Buddhism or Eastern religions?
Speaker 2: Does Saint Nicholas in Japan have any books on this subject?
Speaker 1: Orthodoxy in the religion the future deals with the far Eastern religions. The now of Christ deals with the Eastern religions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I mean, Baba seraph and rises biography has.
Speaker 3: Some good stuff in that.
Speaker 1: The easiest, the easiest response is just orthodoxy in the religion in the future, because he's he's talking about Hinduism. But I mean that's kind of encompasses all of them.
Speaker 2: Really, Okay, does the Guru, the young man, and older parties right humans? Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Does Islam have a one and many problem? For example, if truth is one in many, how can the Islamic God be the metaphysical metaphysical condition for the multiplicity of unity of truth itself when Allah is without multiplicity in his being?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. I mean that's an argument I've been making sure well stated.
Speaker 6: The mainstream Sunny position has more multiplicity in God than the Motazila Ads position that was rejected by mainstream Studdyism.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean, even though there's all these different schools because of the you know, emphasis on the transcendence of God in Islam, I don't think you're going to ever get a really sufficient coherent answer to that problem. So there's always going to be the assumption of unicity as metaphysically a ontologically prior or primary or superior. So they can't really do justice to uh distinctions or multiplicity. And by the way, it doesn't matter if they admit that as well. But we don't have three persons and so therefore, but the same problem arises with the attributes or the actions of Allah. The same problem is still there.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 6: That was one of the Jewish and Metazula critiques of the Asheri and mat Ready position was that it was too Christian because you believed in like they believed in, you know, subsistent attributes that weren't Allah.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. The problem that.
Speaker 1: We can't hear you. You have to speak up, you're really low.
Speaker 13: God has to be absolutely unique, which makes it difficult when you up at the group of.
Speaker 2: God such with life that are probably showed by Greek.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no analogy in that position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one of the many problem meticods very clearly.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question, I'm confused about the Christian explanation of suffering, and I'm hopeful that the Orthodox view can offer a more compelling explanation than the Protestant one, How did sin have the effect of changing the fabric of reality from the perfect pre false state to the current state after the fall, so as to introduce suffering to the world. It seems like the laws of physics themselves are in are inhospitable to human life and course suffering. Example, a rock can fall on one's head while walking under a cliff, and this seems to be entirely causally disconnected from man's sinful nature. How is sin connected with altering the laws of physics post fall?
Speaker 1: If you want, if you're asking how in the sense of the mechanics, nobody knows that. If you're asking how in the sense of theological revelation, well, we're told that that's the case, because the entire it's not like all of the fabric of reality was changed. I mean man's body. We have animalistic bodies because of the fall. Right, we don't know what the pre false state of man's body was like. We don't know what Eden was like. But all of the way the normal course of things function did not have, for example, the presence of decay, the presence of death. All those things were foreign to Eden, and we believe it on the basis of what's revealed, right, so we don't we don't have to have an explanation of the mechanics of exactly what, you know, the chemical reactions that occurred when the fall happened. I mean, nobody's ever going to know that. So, but whether there is a connection between death and events to the natural world and man sin, we believe it on the basis of revelation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also like that that is a very high IQ way of asking the question, if God real, why bad things happened? It was Yeah, very high IQ.
Speaker 1: But the same question Chris says for thirteen dollars and nine cents, God bless you for your work. Well, thank you, Chris, much appreciated for that.
Speaker 4: Okay, trying to find guys, please don't clutter it with your like Jay's answering questions, not you.
Speaker 2: Guys, So please don't clutter it with your answers. Okay, where can someone from a.
Speaker 4: Schismatic Apostolic church find out where they differ specifically as in the reason why they are considered outside of the church.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess that would depend on what schismatic episode church you're talking about. That I mean, you're asking me where to find out how your church differs. I don't understand the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are so let's see very Antichalcedonian.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what question I mean again, go watch David's videos if you're looking for where we say we disagree with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, David's videos are really good. The Orientals are just scared of him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's see.
Speaker 4: If God is the infinite source of all being, from which everything ultimately emerges, how can it.
Speaker 2: Be that evil things are not from God?
Speaker 4: I want to believe that God is good, but it seems like I can't reconcile this with the notion of God being.
Speaker 2: The source of all that exists.
Speaker 1: So evil has no being and no subsistent ontological status. Evil is not a metaphysical reality. It's a negation, it's a privation. It's a movement of the will away from the good. So you will find that from the earliest days of the Church up until to present day, we have always explained what evil is in this way. So we differ from pagan religions, from dualistic religions, Manicheanisms, or Astrianism, and that we do not predicate any real existence to evil. That does not mean that we're not saying there's no evil. We're not saying there's no evil, we're saying that there's no metaphysical, ontological status or substance to evil. Because when God created the world, all that was created he said was good. So being is inherently good. Being manifests the quality of goodness because it's made in the image of and on the basis of God's being, which is good. God is good, His creation is good. It shares in a participatory relationship with the goodness of God. So in that way, nothing that exists or has being can be evil. So what is evil, Well, evil is only a privation, it is only a negation. It is only a movement of the will away from the good. If we want to use an analogy, we could think of something like numbers, right, negative numbers. Do they have an existence? Not really? I mean they're a movement away from one right, And so in the same way, analogies to evil are things like darkness, you know, non existence, non being. Those are the many types of analogies that are used for moral evil. So it's not so much a metaphysical thing as it is a moral thing.
Speaker 2: Would you would you agree.
Speaker 6: With misstatement, like something like the lion increases in being and the zebra decreases in being.
Speaker 2: No, that's like when the lion kills like when the lion kills.
Speaker 1: The zebra some ludicrous, What do you I mean, Because.
Speaker 6: That's just that's tomistic, Like it's because the lion, because the lion is for its own good, the lions seeking its own good and fulfilling its own good.
Speaker 2: But the zebra. Obviously what's going on for the zebra is bad.
Speaker 1: So but that wouldn't have anything to do with their their status in terms of existence itself.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, but I mean in terms of just like good and evil, the zebra is being privated of it's good.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's that's so. Even the Western Church makes the Latins even make a distinction between different types of the senses of evil. So there's a the privatory sense is an analogy for the moral sense. So if we say that there's you know, if I lack sight, that's not the same thing as a moral evil. It's a privation. I lack the faculty of eyesight, so it's a it's a negation. But that's even distinguished from moral evil, which is you know, when I intentionally move my will away from the good to do something evil. So even the Latins will distinguish that.
Speaker 13: If I could just add on to that, There's one egesis of Genesis that I really like in terms of connecting this kind of question is if you notice Day two of creation is not followed by and it was good or God identifying it as good. And the one thing that you can notice here is this is in creation where you start seeing a separation. And so then the separation would be analogous to this kind of privation or moving away from God. And if you're moving away from God, that is what is not good, that is analogous to the sin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the darkness of Genesis one is not evil, right, It's some sort of you know, potentiality within creation for God organizing, you know, the creative world, you know, the original abyss, whatever that is. It's not inherently evil. And again darkness just like just like darkness isn't evil, right. I mean, scripture says you made the day, you made the night, right, there's nothing wrong with with nighttime? Okay. Those are just analogies to moral movement away, like when we say you are far from God. Right, it's not a spatiotempal relationship. It's a spiritual moral relationship. But that's a good point. Kai kung pal chicken wait. Searching for a dollar says uh, searching for Windell says Is the evidence for logic working equivalent to the evidence for God's existence? No, because I would say that in order to ground logic itself, you need the type of God that we argue for. So I'm not equating God to logic. How should I start my journey to believe voice? How do I know? Voices? Voices in my head are not the general God. So we don't go from those kinds of like you know, personal mystical experiences. You might have a mystical experience, but that's not how we go by knowing God or knowing these religious truths. Again, Scripture is where we start. Scripture is the primary source of revealed theology. There's other sources that it comes to tradition and you read the Fathers and this kind of stuff too, But like it starts in scripture and nobody denies this right, So you're not going to be listening to and this is a temptation I think for a lot of people who are maybe new to Christianity or whatever. They start thinking, Oh, it's God telling me to not go to this to work at this place anymore. Oh, God's telling me not that. You need the first and foremost learn what God's telling you from scripture, not from what you think you feel at this and that time. That a way, don't worry about it. You need to be catechized in scripture and in the church. Then you can make the accurate judgment calls as to well, God was telling me that I need to move to this city. God's telling me I need to date this person or not date that. God's telling you what's in scripture first of all, and then you're making your life decisions on being in accordance with what's in scripture. Right, So don't listen to this like the charismatic gibberish nonsense. Right, if you want to be married, God gives you the freedom to make that choice. If you want to be single and inter amonastery, God gives you that freedom if you want to make that choice.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: But so often people are like worried about God's will for their life or what God's will is in scripture. He tells you what to do right. I'm not saying you can't have like a providential event that helps you make decisions. But people are so obsessed.
Speaker 2: With like this.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for the dreams and the visions and this kind of stuff. No, don't even worry about that. God has told you what is good. Scripture says, so you don't. You don't have to go through that bunch of nonsense. You are. We already know what the will of God is. It's revealed in scripture and in tradition in the church. All Right, it cut out there Sometimes discord crashes. But are you guys still there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, very good. I literally just lost my place. Give me a second. Six.
Speaker 1: Okay. He has shown you, oh man, what is good to do? Justice, love, righteousness, you know, et cetera. Scripture says this. You don't have to be hunkered over in a corner, flopping around the ground speaking gibberish, waiting for some so called prophet in the charismatic church to tell you what God's will is. It's in scripture, dude.
Speaker 3: And we have a history.
Speaker 2: We have a historical question. Do you believe that the shroud of Turin was housed in Constantine.
Speaker 1: I don't have any opinion on it. I don't know. I'm not opposed to this.
Speaker 2: It was, Isn't that historical?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, how can you have an opinion on a historical fact.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose some people can doubt what's believed to be historical facts. I mean, it happens in Academia.
Speaker 6: Well, I thought the Crusaders took it from Constantinople back to Venice.
Speaker 3: That's what I understood.
Speaker 1: I don't again, I don't have any pro or con opinion of the shroud. I'm fine with it being Jesus and a real relic or not. I don't have any opinion on it.
Speaker 4: Next question is, would you, father, deacon, or another orthodoxicologist in the circle consider writing a big book addressing frequently asked questions about Orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: There's probably a book for it already.
Speaker 1: No, probably not. Yeah, I mean I think we have plenty of those already.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if we have plenty of catechisms, Like I'm.
Speaker 1: Not a catechist, right, if you want to come to the discord, and you know, there's plenty of people who can do catechisis that's I'm not here to do that. So anyway, Yeah, the.
Speaker 6: Admins here can do basic katakiss, so the baptized ones.
Speaker 1: Anyway, there's plenty of resources for that.
Speaker 2: So what is your view on divine command theory?
Speaker 1: We have an aspect of divine command theory, but we also have aspects of the other views. I mean, if you're talking about moral justification like Utafro dilemma.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 13: What is that?
Speaker 1: What they're getting at?
Speaker 2: That was just a question what was your view of it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So if you're talking about the Utafro dilemma, I mean I've answered this this many many times. We did Kallopian Club. We had two different hour long discussions and two different discord amas where we argued over this question. And I try to explain that we don't equate the command of God with so God doesn't have to submit to a rule that's higher than him. And every time this question is framed in the youth throw of the limit, they say, well, then therefore God can just will the good to be something opposite to itself. We don't believe that because we have a different conception of God and the essence energy distinction. Right, God's commands God's actions. What comes from God is on the basis of his character, but it's not identical to his character, so we don't identify God's will with his essence.
Speaker 3: Rip erse.
Speaker 1: Onward as theo Von says, onward.
Speaker 7: Okay, now what a back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next question.
Speaker 4: Okay, So next question is what was the limit of the Byzantine emperor's powers in the church.
Speaker 2: Could he appoint and remove.
Speaker 1: Bishops he's not supposed to. He probably was involved in you know, those kinds of ceremonies or whatever. The emperor can go behind the Kona stasis, so he's almost given a quasi deaconant role because Paul describes the emperor as a diaconos of God. But anytime the emperors tried to do this, this was seen as a violation. I mean, you have many heretical, heretic emperors who tried to do this and tried to run the church and it never worked. So but no, I don't think the emperors like took over the church. If they ran the church and subverted it, then we wouldn't have wor the doxy right, the heretic emperors would have been condemned. But none of the heretic emperors ever ended up victorious.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got a little bit.
Speaker 6: Pointed popes and stuff sometimes as well.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good point in the in the in the West, its same problems, right, I mean the papacy, as we just did that stream with snack, I mean, the papacy becomes a tool of the Franks, and that's not even in question in terms of history.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question is this is a really weird one. I just feel like banning the guy for asking it. But what's the rationale behind the church prohibiting first cousin marriages?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 4: Uh, it's practiced throughout the world, and it's not prohibited in the Old Testament. Also, the genetic defects that result from it are exaggerated. Yeah, okay, but I don't want to marry my cousin. I'm just curious, okay, don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, for.
Speaker 1: A friend, why can't I marry my president? I don't know.
Speaker 13: You look at the you look at the Arab world, and then you say that the genetic defects is exaggerated. Is not exaggerated?
Speaker 1: Bounty US five dollars? Couldn't a god of another faith system have revealed himself to be similar in an essence. In counter argument to TAG, no, because the TAG argument is not just a rational argument for for our view or an abstract argument. It's the TAG argument is the entire Christian paradigm. That's the point. That's the strength of TAG is that we're not arguing for a little piecemeal thing. I mean, we might have to argue on the basis of one area of the worldview at a time, just because of the limitations of of us as humans, we can only talk about one thing at a time. But the argument, the TAG argument isn't just an argument for God. If I'm arguing for the triune God, then I'm also arguing for that whole paradigm, the God. Who didn't the Triune God create the world? Didn't he have providence? Doesn't he have you know, an incarnation, etcetera, etcetera. So it's an argument for the whole paradigm, not just for an abstraction of logical argumentations or mental structures or something like this. So even if I start arguing on the basis of logic or the metaphysical status of logical entities or whatever, I'm just picking that as a place to argue the entire paradigm. That's the point here. I'm not saying it's true because I'm arguing for an entire paradigm. I'm saying that that is the argument. The argument isn't just for the Trinity, it's for the entire paradigm. You see. That's why the argument is unique, because I can't argue piecemeal and be consistent if I can't just argue for the Trinity without the rest of the of the revelation of the Trinity. Right, the revelation is holistic. It's not just the trend, it's all the other dogmas they go along with the Trinity. It's a whole system that I'm arguing for. That's the point. So, no, you can't come up with a ripoff version that's like the two god system or the four gods system. That's all the things in your system, but mine's for gods. Well, dude, that's actually just a ripoff, and our argument is not divorced from history. Our argument includes a God incarnate that's not going to be what you argue for. Like, I mean, would you argue, did did the four person God become incarnate? Really?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, guess what, dude, that's from us, like you're ripping off us, right, you see what I'm saying. I mean, our whole system is already a two thousand year old into history system based on four thousand year prior to that Old Testament revelation. It's an entire system that we're arguing for the whole thing, including history, including the Church, including the incarnation. It's all part of the argument. So no, you can't consistently just say, well, I have a you know, trinity in my head that I've come up with that solves all the epistemic dilemmas of your trinity system, and therefore why can't I just post mine? Because my argument is the entire Christian paradigm, all of it, ten Commandments, Jesus in history, all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question, Uh, I was wondering if Jay can give a short elaboration.
Speaker 2: Of theosis difnation. Uh. Yeah, How it differs from Mormon view?
Speaker 1: Well, so, our our view is not that you become a God of your own planet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Our view is not that God the Father impregnated but Mary. We don't bear any similarity to the Mormon view. Our view is what the Church always taught, which is not the Mormon view. Obviously, it's a participation in the uncreated energies of God, which is not what Mormons teach. We don't teach that the triad is a literal Father with a body who impregnated Mary. All this goofy crazy that we don't teach that, dude. Come on, So there's absolutely no similarity to the Mormon view, because the Mormon view is like a space opera, you know, like you're going to be God of your own planet and have celestial sex and space babies and that. What are you talking about, dude, that's what That's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Next one is when God cursed the serpent to eat dust all the days of your life.
Speaker 2: But that had been a reference back to Adam being formed from and returning to dust.
Speaker 4: Was God telling the serpent that it would feed on dead matter and thus death itself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that Satan or the serpent literally feeds on dead matter. But there is a connection between the dust of the earth and the curse pretty consistently throughout scripture. Absolutely, just like thorns and briars and thistles will come up. That's an image that's used throughout the Old Testament of the curse of the Fall. So yes, in a certain symbolic sense, but not like snakes are literally eating dead things or something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question is this is from someone seeking advice.
Speaker 4: He says, how should I deal with the fact that most of the priests in my area are gambling, drunkard di divorces, gallivanting with women of the nine.
Speaker 2: So the christ I guess is, how do you deal with the fact that you have bad priests in your area?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, first of all, I mean I'm not convinced that gambling itself is inherently always wrong. There's a little this is ambiguous territory. I mean, if if I have a business venture and I take out a loan or whatever to I mean, that's a gamble. So I mean, at what point exactly gambling is this is you know, we're not Puritan Protestants here with this kind of stuff, but I mean, there there's really no church that's immune to corrupt leadership, right, that's in Protestants, that's in Roman Catholics, it's Orthodox. I mean, this is this is just a problem of the human domain. So I don't have any easy answer as to what you can do other than to try to find the best that you can that's not corrupt. I mean, can you go to a different city that's nearby if it's a little bit longer. I mean, I've had to drive one two three hours before to go to church. And if you if you've got a long drive and it's you can't do it every Sunday, then plan you know, like once a month to do you know, your one month trip to the church that's two hours away or whatever. I had to do that for a long time before I had something closer to me. So it's just, you know, I don't have any easy answer for that kind of stuff, but it is unfortunate. There are a lot of corrupt clergy out there, no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: Next question is, if the Creator is separate from this cosmos in a manner opposed to pantheism and panentheism, wouldn't the totality comprised of Creator us his creation be more encompassing than the Creator by himself, such that the aggregate of Creator and creation then comprise a greater entity than the Creator by himself.
Speaker 2: And wouldn't this mean that the aggregate slash totality.
Speaker 4: Would then better fit the characteristics of the absolute or God.
Speaker 2: Then would the creator alone.
Speaker 4: I have heard in places that Orthodoxy is panentheistic, but I'm not sure if most orthodox.
Speaker 1: Would confirm, Well, this is equivocation on the notion of what is greater or not greater? I mean, on what basis are you saying that because there is God and creation, that's somehow greater. Now we would say, with Dionysius in the Divine Names, that the fact that God creates he did intend to create to express and to share his goodness. He wanted to share himself and his goodness with creatures. So that is in a sense greater. But that doesn't mean that it adds greater to God himself, right, because God did not lack anything. And Maximus himself deals with this question many places in the ambiguity where it comes up with Well, if you read Toolos and his dissertation on Maximus covers this question about well, why did God choose to create? And Maximus says, we can't say other than out of his own goodness. But his goodness doesn't add to being like like, oh, God lacked, he was lonely or something like that, and so he created because he was lonely and needed more.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: No, it's just out of pure, overflowing goodness and love, is what Maximus says. So, uh, no, it doesn't add to his being. And there's no there's no, there's no aggregate goodness that like trumps the goodness that God has, because the goodness that creation possesses is a participatory goodness that God has. And by the way, panentheism is kind of orthodox, so I'm confused as to what what what that person is talking about. We don't believe in pantheism, but we do believe that God permeates the creative order.
Speaker 4: Sure, okay, cool, it seems as if we actually got through the questions.
Speaker 1: Also cool, Well, we've been going for two hours, so let me see if there's any more of the super check questions. Uh, there's a.
Speaker 2: Couple here that says we also got another one.
Speaker 1: Okay, now there's a few here. Let's let me go back to where I missed a bunch of these. Well, a whole much Kung Powell for ten dollars? Why was the virgin Mary necessary? Could God create recreate without her? Sure? But God always chooses to use and have humans participate with him in redemption. God just wanted to do it that way because again, like I said before, creation occurred out of the goodness of God, not because God needed or had lack. I mean, this is precisely one of the reasons why we don't have a bare, strict monotheism of a self existent person from all eternity. God always had a over ever flowing, overflowing love from the Father to the Son and in the Spirit. So there is that triadic love and communion from all eternity. And so God didn't create the world as a reflection of himself because he was lonely or because he needed some way to be Lord. He was always Lord right, the Father was always Lord, He was always the cause in Arka, and always had the Son. So there was always that perfect triadic relationship in the creation of the world. Therefore, is not out of necessity. It's not an emanation. It's not a determined thing on the basis of eternal forms in the essence of God or Platonism or anything like that. It's purely out of goodwill. This is what makes Christianity unique is that the creative world is a willful expression of God's love and goodness in being and not any kind of necessary emanation or determined process. That's the chief argument that Maximus makes against Origin and Plotinus and all these weirdos and creeps is that, no, it's not a necessary emanation or creation, is not an eternal generation from God or anything like that like the Platonist thought. So that's what makes it unique. And therefore when we read Genesis and we see that Mary, when we see that Eve is the mother of all, right, now we start to see how Mary is the new Eve. You see, it's a common comparison. Mary is the ark of the covenant. Mary is the answer to the destruction that Eve brought. So that's why Mary was necessary in a secondary sense, not that God needed her, but that He chose and willed to have humans or someone like Mary be necessary in the economy of salvation. So that's the answer to that question. But thank you for that, Kung Paw Bounteous. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of people sometimes, especially Muslim critics, forget the whole concept of like divine drama and stuff like that, Like how do you talk about and Athanasius talks about how the crucifixion.
Speaker 2: Had to be a particularly kind of violent and kind of obvious.
Speaker 6: Things so that people would know about it and the economy and you know, like the divine counsel and stuff like that. Like God doesn't need to consult with his divine counsel to make decisions, but he does. And it's like a divine a divine fittingness to all these things, to this order because it's pedagogical as well for us, it teaches us things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, God didn't need Abraham to intercede for Sodom. Orrybody knew that he would, and he chose to operate through Yeah, creaturely co operators. As paulses, we are God's co workers. God didn't need Amos to intercede, but he wanted Amos to intercede.
Speaker 2: Ythan says, well, that too.
Speaker 6: He's like God didn't need like he didn't need Moses to raise his staff to split the sea or anything. Like, he didn't need all these human specific human involvements.
Speaker 2: To a lot of the things he does well.
Speaker 1: The incarnation is thus a affirmation of the goodness of creation and God's will to use the created order, because it was always his intent to become incarnate and always his intent to use the created order. That's key. Creation itself presupposes incarnation. That's what's unique to orthodoxy. Let's see Bounteous for five dollars, could God create? Wait, Noah, that's the one I already answered, peak brain capacity a dollar. If the world we are living in is not operating the same way as described in Genesis because of the fault, then evolutionary theory could be regarded as balanced science on the basis of pure empirical evidence. Well, they're necess saying it is pure empirical science or evidence. All data is theory laden, All empirical experience is theory laden. Go listen to this stef On volume debate. I outline the four problems of basic empiricism that nobody in an empiricist tradition can answer. Their basic well known classical problems of raw not eve empiricism that have been asked for centuries now ever since David Hume Willard sellers up in the present day, William ben Orman Kwine, those are the basic problems that empiricism can't answer. So you're wrong about the idea that there is such a thing as a pure empirical data or science or whatever. I can't see the rest of your question, but that looks like where you're going. And if you mean by evolution adaptation, nobody denies that species adapt But if you mean by evolution this grand theory of death being natural and AONs of time to produce Adam and Eve out of Kate, Geico, Caveman or some of this nonsense, then no, be chez wait searching one dollar. Okay, I read the scripture, but I can't overcome my skepticism. Well that was pretty quick too. That was like an hour ago. So you you read the Bible in an hour again, So it could be just a book. Well, how can just the book predict the birth of Christ? How can just the book predict all of these messianics specific that one guy comes and fulfills. How is that just the book? When you pray, does God speak to you? No, it's again, it's not audible voices.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So Jesus answers this very question by saying, go to the scriptures and study them, and you will see that they have all kinds of things that show them to be miraculous. Right, they predict the coming of them Assiah. Look up the messianic prophecies start there, and then you'll start to see that the book itself is of divine inspiration. That's the visible proof argument that Jesus uses. Right, he has no problem just saying, look, if people rise from the dead, that's not going to convince somebody. If they're not going to be convinced by the predictions of the law and the prophets, they're not going to be convinced by anything. So what I'm saying is, go and look at the Messianic prophecies. I mean you responded by saying, oh, okay, I went and read scriptures, but I don't see it. Do you even know what you're reading? That's what I'm saying, Like, you have to understand what you're reading, right, I'm not saying just look at this verse, like, read the thing and understand that there are prophecies of when the Messiah will come, what he will do. Right, the Book of Isaiah start there, So man light is right, Lucius for three dollars, what is the Orthodox position on why people are born with incapacitating illnesses? Well, because of the fall. I mean all illnesses, all death, all decay, all of that comes as a result of Adam's fall. I don't know how how else to answer that. That's just another problem of evil question, but thank you for that. Lucius Militaris three fifty three. What is the Seraph and Rose book on Genesis and Creation? Genesis Creation Early Man? And I'm sorry it does appear to be out of print. I was looking the other day at a lot of different places and sites as to where it might be perfect just and I couldn't find any. So I'm sorry to say that that book appears to be gone. I mean not gone, but I don't I mean you can't get it for like under nine hundred dollars. Every place has that book for sale for nine There may be a PDF floating round, but physical copies apparently are sparse because it's out of print. But maybe if you drove to a monastery or a bookstore somewhere, you can find it.
Speaker 2: About you.
Speaker 1: Yes, this Creation early means.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think he's talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, So I am going to continue this talk. I think we'll close up the Q and A. I'm gonna keep going because I did say I would do this, and it is time to finally dude the Pelicon book. So I'm not going to end the stream. I think we'll close up the Q and A part and then if anybody wants to continue with me here on YouTube, I'll just continue doing this stream. But I'm not going to keep doing the Q and A part. I want to get into early church the development of the Patristic tradition from Pelicon's book, because I did say months ago I would do.
Speaker 13: This, and.
Speaker 1: Church of Eternal Logos tonight will do our part two in the next few days. Jamie and I will do our part two in the next few days. And thank you to all you guys on the discord for chipping in, and I'll put everybody's links and whatnot.
Speaker 13: J before you cut off, If if I could ask, did you want to maybe make an announcement with regards to what is Seminin's Metropolitan Joonna has.
Speaker 1: Planned for the server, Uh, sure, if you want, If you want to go ahead and announce it, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can just announce this.
Speaker 13: So we're waiting on some more information hopefully forthcoming next week sometime, but his eminence, Metropolitan Joonah has offered to start up a weekly ctaschtical lecture your series right here on Jay's discord, so stay tuned for that. We'll make some more prominent announcements as we get more information, but hopefully next week we'll we'll have a set time and date when all this stuff is going to happen.
Speaker 4: And they're reminded to everyone watching the stream, if you want, please do come to the discord.
Speaker 2: I'll break you personally myself. We'll ask all your dumb questions. Blah blah blah blah. Love all of you.
Speaker 4: Jay, make sure to put my Twitter down there because I won that Internet cloud.
Speaker 1: You know, I know I will do that for all of you.
Speaker 6: By the way, hop over to Sam Shimunt Shimonian's channel. He did an interview with Craig on the Orthodox view of Salvation and I listened to as much of it as I could and it's actually really, really, really good.
Speaker 3: So go and watch it after Jay's finished.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, after guys, am I going to be cutting into a lot of people's streams. Is Cotel doing one? I don't know, It's okay. I mean everybody can eventually watched come back and wash. Yeah, yeah, it's not a big deal. How many of people watching live. But I am going to cover because I've got so many notes on on Pelican, I took hundreds of pages of notes, and I also have hundreds of pages of notes, well about a hundred pages of notes on the medieval Heresy Book, which all