Speaker 1: But fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's uh, let's finish strong the last hour for me here at Sports Talk seven ninety Coffee and company, the final the final episode fueled by Thornton's. And that's that's when. Hell of a way to go out. Certainly appreciate my friends over at Thornton's. And I know they're still going to be, uh be with me as I as I make the move. So it's really starting to hit now that now that we're here the final hour, and nobody better to get this hour started with than a man who uh you know, really introduced me to sports talk radio on this station when he was an afternoon underdog, and is Tony Venetti. Tony, give me, give me some advice. You've given me great advice over the years. Things that you said that I just assumed there was no way, no way that's true. There's no way, you know, there's no way this is gonna pl out the way that it did, and then it did. You were correct, Tony, give me some advice.
Speaker 3: Well you know when you switch and again, congratulations, buddy, you earned it. You know, nine years ago. We stuck you on an island and basically told you to figure it out, and you did. So you know I helped it. I tried to help you guy do as much as I could.
Speaker 4: But basically you were on your own.
Speaker 3: And people don't realize when you do a solo, three hour solo sports show and you moved to a station like seven ninety, that is a tough, tough gig and you figured it out, you fought your way through, and you got it done. So congratulations with that. But here's what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: And you know I do this with you all the time. What's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You may not believe me, but I'm telling you. I don't know how many times you've said that.
Speaker 3: Right, Sports radio is like having children. Okay, so here here's the analogy.
Speaker 4: Ready.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you have your first kid, you try to keep at least one You try to keep one foot in your old life.
Speaker 4: Right. You're like, hey, I can have my old life and have a kid. Right, I can have that. I can do that. I can pull that off.
Speaker 3: You soon, you have enough energy to pull it off for a little while, but when kid number two shows up, you realize, no, no, no, no, that old Nick is dead and now Dad is.
Speaker 4: You know, Nick is reborn.
Speaker 3: In the Dad and your old fun, cool life gone.
Speaker 4: You're gone. That's gone. Now you are goofy Dad, and that's what you do. But at the beginning, you keep.
Speaker 3: One foot in that old life and one foot in dadhood.
Speaker 4: You can't do that. So sports radio will be the same.
Speaker 3: So when you leave and you leave and you start Monday, you'll be enthusiastic about you know, sports guys calling you and say, hey, can you do a segment? And you'll be like, I wish I could talk about this game on my sports show. And then about four years later you'll you'll try to keep your foot in that world and then try to try to do your thing with the news. But in about four years, you won't know the players' names. You won't know you won't know it coaches, all the coaches. Look right now, you could probably tell me where the athletic where the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: At U of L. You know, well that's Brian Brown. That's easy. But you know, you.
Speaker 3: Could tell where all these guys are from, where they came from, all the details of the assistant coaches in a couple of years, you won't be able to answer those questions.
Speaker 2: I thought I was getting pranked or I was in an alternate universe, because you and I chatted earlier today at Tony Cruise's retirement party, and you said something along these lines, and I'm I'm not kidding you. That has been my mindset the last two weeks is that this is going to be great. It's better for me professionally, and man, what an opportunity. But hey, I mean, I'm talking sports all the time. I mean, I'm that's still going to be there. I can just walk down the hall. Hell, I know how to run the board. I can just go on the air whenever I want and talk sports and get it out of my system. So that has actually been in my mind that this is Ah, it's fun, it's fine. Don't be sad, you're not leaving. You're just you're gonna be doing a little bit of both. But yeah, it'll I'm sure it'll. Again, I wouldn't believe you, But there are things that Tony told me in twenty and sixteen that I appreciated, one even knowing the guy, because I've worked with him now and he was somebody that really helped me, you know, become a fan of sports radio. And I'd say this all the time to people, and I don't know if it really hits. I don't even know if you remember this, Fanetti, I didn't know you did rock radio. I was too young when you did that. And not to make you feel like an old man, I did so when people thought you were, you know, not to give you a bigger ego, but like you know, obviously you've done a lot of great things, and you've been very successful in this market in a variety of ways. But eighteen seventeen year old Nick Coffee who turned on seven ninety and heard you yelling at Adam Neft and I feel like you bullied him at times, but it made for great radio.
Speaker 5: But I didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: So I just thought you were the name you were because of sports specifically, and I remember telling you that. I don't know if you believe me, but it's true. And then I later learned, you know, the legacy of the one Tony Vinetti who's made all these moves from rock radio sports radio super successful in both of those now killing it, crushing it with Dwight on News Radio eight forty whas. So you've made some big jumps and been successful each and every time. And now I know, I guess you do know what you're talking about because you told me, Nick, tell me listen, man, I know you love it and I can see your passion. But come come a few years down the line, when your daughter gets older and maybe you have another kid, you know you're not gonna have the energy to go watch Louisville play Montana State at nine pm on a Tuesday, And I'm like, oh, I'll be doing the postgame show. I'll be the press conference asking the questions. I might go to Montana State to scout. I'm like, I'm young, I'm energetic, I'm thinking nobody's talking about. And like this past year, as Pat Kelsey brought Louisville basketball back to life, all I thought about was enjoying that experience with my son. And you literally told me that was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and by thought and by the way, it's not rocket science. Watched the game and talked about it the next day. You don't have to be there, Uh, those are the nineteen seventies. You don't want to when you have a family, You've got young kids.
Speaker 4: You want to behold you got what you got a short window to be with these kids, and.
Speaker 3: You know they, you know, enjoy the time when they want to be around you. But yes, those those beginning days of NET where we were just finding our way. You know, nobody expected you know what we did on seven ninety. I mean we had. It's the famous story where Kelly Carl's our former marketing.
Speaker 2: It's never been done before in this market and will never be done again as far as what seven ninety was at that.
Speaker 4: Time, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: And we had a huge meeting with all eight radio stations and they said we're going to unveil the marketing plan and marketing budgets for each station and the plans to elevate. So I sit there with Nef sitting next to me, and at the time I was on two stations, one rock station.
Speaker 4: And one of sports. And we got we got through six stations, and he goes, Okay, that's that's good.
Speaker 3: You guys go back to work. We'll regroup and send you an email back with a recap. And I went up to Kelly Carlos and said, hey, you didn't do any there's no seven ninety or qmth and he said, yeah, we didn't do plans for them.
Speaker 5: Did he give me a Kelly Carl's life laugh?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yet, well no he didn't do the laugh. But he was not a lot.
Speaker 3: He wasn't very emotional, so he just went, yeah, we didn't do plans for those.
Speaker 4: We didn't. We don't really have plans for those, and then walked away.
Speaker 2: Now can I ask you us real quick because I'm curious at that time were you aware in your career what HS was. I assume you were then just because you'd been around radio a long time. But for me, I didn't really know the true power of HAS until a little bit, a little bit of time here. But when he said that to you, I mean clearly you had to go figure it out, and you did. But like you know, HAS is and the Kelly is is that was a big role. But I'm just curious at that time when that was said, were you were you stunned or were you like, Hey, all right, I'm gonna go prove these people wrong.
Speaker 5: I'll make it work.
Speaker 3: Uh. It was a big ego hit because you know, you know, you have to make plans for me and my ego whenever we make reservations.
Speaker 4: So it's it.
Speaker 3: Was an ego hit because I thought, no, this is an important station and sports will be important. And then I figured it out. They don't care about the rock and they don't care about the sports. They thought the sports was cute at that time, Hey, just have fun, do your thing, and if you make any money on it, that'll be good. And that was a shock to me because I had, you know, I had just finished ten twelve years of Rock Guy, where it was always a priority and it was rock was huge and all that, and that's when rock was dying. So it was a wake up point for Neft and I and I said, Neft, we got to go to work.
Speaker 4: So we went and took the show on the road. Yeah, loose on the round. So we did a live show for free every day.
Speaker 3: For you know, for three hundred and sixty five days a year, and we went after it and the rest is history. But man, it was a big ego hit and people forget there was a you know, oh, there was always a priority for sports.
Speaker 4: No, No, there wasn't. People are like, oh, it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of cute, you just do your thing. But we did it and then listen. And that's why I'm telling this story. Is it easily details into yours.
Speaker 4: You had to do the same.
Speaker 3: You know, we stuck you on that island and said, Nick Coffee, figure it out.
Speaker 4: That's a big reason why you got the gig you got now. Yeah, and you did it by yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, and you you've shared that with me before as far as just because you told me to go do the same thing, and I tried and they wouldn't let me because I said, look, I'll go do a show anywhere for free. I just want to build the show, get my name out there. I was well aware when I got hired that I did not have quite the radio following that others that had been in this industry a lot longer, and I was willing to go introduce myself and be out, but they they wouldn't let me do that. But you said something that did another. It's another thing that played out. You said that you got to make it work because at the time, you've got little John and Maggie, really young kids at that point, and you're just thinking, Okay, this is survival. Let's just go make it work. And I don't know if I've been in that exact spot. But I also realized, look, if I'm not out here making relationships with clients potentially and just try and you know, trying everything I can to keep it alived where they don't see me as somebody that just looks like dead weight, then it'll be it'll be it'll be my day. And then this last you know, year or so really especially the last few weeks just kind of realizing sort of what this move is for me professionally. You know, I now not only think about how grateful I am, but like I think of my kids and I go, it takes me back to when you'd said.
Speaker 3: That, and there's no Yes, there's no bigger motivator than standing in a hallway with a door cracked to your kids room when they're sleeping as a guy, as a you know, as a dad.
Speaker 4: And say, look, man, I got to figure this out. And you're willing to.
Speaker 3: Do anything at that point because there's there's so cutes there and there sleeping and that you know, it's at night and you're standing in the doorway and you're like, look, this is on me.
Speaker 4: So you are at that spot and you and you're it's gonna be fun. Man, you're gonna You're gonna have a ball dude.
Speaker 3: Plus, we come in right, you know you are our lead in, so we come in and cause chaos.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna make Dwight shower though?
Speaker 2: Because I think I think Dwight should should need to shower at least once a week.
Speaker 4: No, you don't understand. You're you're gonna learn.
Speaker 3: You're gonna learn the Dwight going going to work. Uh he gets you together about nine thirty, but he comes in, Uh, you know, still hungover, still drunk. You know what when the sunglasses are still on first segment, we all know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this when it comes to the transition that you went from sports talk to news talk. You guys started out six to eight eager to take that spot, to show what it would what it would become, and it became very successful and then obviously made the move to UH to to to mid days from nine to noon. Now, what was a surprise for you as far as because again, knew it would be different. You knew there would be a big adjustment. You knew you'd have to prove yourself and you've certainly done that at least, not prove yourself as a as a as somebody that's talented, but just you know that that you could you could clearly be successful within that type of show. What stood out if you could remember early on that that might have been you know, okay, didn't think of that, but man, I'll adjust because I know that's going to happen to me.
Speaker 3: Well, the big thing was and again, if you don't think you have to prove yourself every single step of the way when you're my age, you'll you'll look.
Speaker 4: I was upset that they wanted me to do an audition tape for the Switch.
Speaker 3: I was like, are you kidding me? And let me tell you something. I did it because that's what you do, because it's look, it's show business, not show friends.
Speaker 4: So they you know, you go do it. But here's a big thing.
Speaker 3: So if sports and politics and this new stuff is very similar, if you could survive, I said it, Leland Comway, Mandy Condle, Tony Cruz, Dave Jennings, myself, and now you all came.
Speaker 4: From sports and went over to news.
Speaker 3: Because if you can do sports radio, you can do any job in broad testing. That is absolutely a fact. Because it is like seal team training from broadcasting.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. Now.
Speaker 3: What I found out very quickly was Trump was just elected in the first term and I thought, well.
Speaker 4: This will be fun because I thought of.
Speaker 3: The Fun Sports Day and making fun of the UK and all that, and then the fun rock days and all that, and I said, this will be fun.
Speaker 4: Well, I found out.
Speaker 3: National politics is so divisive. People don't they don't float over to the other side in elections or opinions. And so we started in you know, Dwight was the pro Trump and I started making fun and in two weeks in it was like, okay, this ain't working because the national politics. So we figured out we're just going to cover local politics, which is JCPS, l MPBU and the you know, metro council and smaller city groups like j Town and Saint Matthew's in Middletown at the West End. And that was better because a Republican will vote for a Democrat locally or the opposite. But in national politics, people go to their corner and they're nasty and I feel local that's.
Speaker 2: What you just go to. What you just said though, like I feel like that's that's true. But it's probably never been more true than it is currently with the climate right correct, correct, because.
Speaker 4: It is at an all time high.
Speaker 3: Uh. But it's And by the way, you'll want to be local politics anyway I am. I'm a personal opinion that you can't really change that national politics.
Speaker 4: Good luck. Yeah, what are you doing? You know you want to go to a protest or something.
Speaker 3: That that's not gonna that's not gonna change national politics.
Speaker 4: The d's and the rs is what they call them. They don't really care about you. Locally.
Speaker 3: You can make change locally, big time. You can make change locally in your in your district, in your neighborhood.
Speaker 4: You can make a change. But national politics forget it.
Speaker 2: So I've already I said this earlier that of I love the all of the many I love you butts that I've had in my in my life recently those and then I love you butt congrats, but please stay away from the politics. And it's like, you know, first they want me to stick to sports. Then they want me to not talk about sports. Uh, and then they want me you know, I'm just gonna be me and you know, let it, let it, let it play out the way that it is but uh, I do. I'm kind of entertained. I'm not trolling anybody, This is not a bit, but I can I get the sense that people are of the opinion that I'm gonna I'm gonna roll in there on Monday and just let out a real big indicator of red or blue, Democrat Republican and like, that's not I mean that first.
Speaker 5: That's not what the show is. But also like, why would I do that? That would be really stupid.
Speaker 4: No, No, Mornings is a different bie.
Speaker 3: So you got your information, and uh, you know you don't do the Hall Report anymore like the old days.
Speaker 4: Uh, but you know, no, that's not your job. That's not what you do.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's really they'll figure out what you are, but you you know that's not your job. And by the way, you do what I do on every new show, and you should do it on Monday. At the beginning of every new show I do, I say, this is the worst.
Speaker 4: Show that you will hear in this time slot from us. This is the worst, but tomorrow will be really bad but a little better.
Speaker 3: Okay, set the bar as low as possible, right, and then just find your way.
Speaker 4: Son.
Speaker 3: You'll use your crutch of the sports Every once in a while and you're lost and you you kind of just come back from break and you'll go to a sports thing because that's your crutch. You went to your right, you know, And I don't know if you want to your left or right in basketball when you're in high school, I don't know what your go to play was when you drove to the basket.
Speaker 2: I could, I could go left, but right was where I preferred. So I will say this the Yeah, the one thing that in the last four or five hours, just in the conversations I had with so many great people that I got to meet today and some others I got to catch up with us. We celebrated Tony Cruise's retirement, and that is that I've known this, but for some reason, it just now a lot of things are just processing. Is it's been so chaotic in these last couple of weeks. But the amount of time that Kentucky in this Morning News has existed and been a part of generations. Right There's people that listen to it on their daily drive and their daily commute, whatever it may be.
Speaker 5: The routine, and.
Speaker 2: Their dad did, and their grandfather did, and along all those years, many many years, there's really only been like three people that have done it all for a good amount of time.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you noticed that.
Speaker 1: Screw it up.
Speaker 4: Pressure at all, Son, No pressure at all, Son. We're counting on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like number four hosts in like the last eighty years.
Speaker 4: Luck.
Speaker 3: But I will tell you this, and again, I hope this isn't all due inside baseball for everybody, but.
Speaker 5: If so, we don't care. The show ends after the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right here.
Speaker 3: So when you when you showed up did the Tony Kruz thing, and we say.
Speaker 4: Goodbye to the grill masters, having you.
Speaker 3: In that group of Kerry and I and Dwight and Guss and Joe Elliott and and and that was bringing you in and then having that picture was was really sort of symbolic for me. I felt good because I said, now, I said, the kid, the kid's now not a kid anymore. He's earned a spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and it really did again, and I wouldn't have had it any other way as far as how it played out. But also, you know, it's a it's an old corny cliche, but I never as this started to finalize and come together is when it really started to hit me, like, wow, I really have been at this for nearly ten years, and I've never you know, I probably have, I don't know, not sure sure what more. I mean again, I think having the three different day parts I've had on Sports Talk seven ninety such a big station. KRD has been around a long time, Like I mean, I couldn't ask for much more. But now that I'm here and then being with all of you guys today and and you know, like I don't want to say that I don't feel worthy, but obviously I realized how much of a step this is. And for you guys, especially you, Tony Terry as well, Dwight, Gus, everybody that's everybody that's that's currently a part of the team or that has been a part of the has team, they've just been nothing but supportive. And they don't realize it maybe or maybe they do. Letting me know that you do believe that this is going to be good and I'm fit for it does does mean a lot and go a long way. So I really do appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, we got your back. I mean, that's that's that's the thing. And let me tell you when you've got.
Speaker 4: Guys like that that have your back. You can steel pretty confidence, you know, and you got to have people in this industry then have your back.
Speaker 3: Now we will all talk smack about each other, of course, we all, we all will, we all have your back.
Speaker 2: I have PTSD. I have PTSD Tony. Whenever I see somebody with pleated pants.
Speaker 5: I showed up.
Speaker 2: I showed up to the spring game first time. You know, I'm working at a spring game as part of our broadcast, and I've got a red Louisville polo with pleated tacky pants tucked in, and I show up and you and Dave are finishing up, and I'm about to go on with Howie. And you said, why did you show up to the spring game looking like Jake from State Farm?
Speaker 5: You what pleated pants on? Bro? And then I knew that you would you would always be honest with me.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, looks look I fixed napped, I fixed Dave. You know we worked on YouTube, but I am I'm not. I'm not a cyborg. But I will tell you you know where you stand with me.
Speaker 5: Sure, And that's appreciated.
Speaker 2: That that's that's that's that's more valuable than a lot of people realize, but Tony, thank you so much for everything. Cannot wait to get started on Monday with you guys. And you know how special you are to me, and you know how great you've been in this industry. And it's still crazy to think that I have been able to know you over the years and now get to work with you and again now we're on the lineup together again. So thank you, brother, appreciate you. Have a great weekend. And you know, let me know if I suck, because I know you'll be honest.
Speaker 3: I will tell you when you do that, that's how I raise my kids, and I'll do that to you.
Speaker 4: No, you're not gonna suck. It's gonna be great. I love you, Nick.
Speaker 3: Coffee and enjoy your last thirty three minutes all right in seven nineties.
Speaker 5: We're gonna make it count. Thanks brother, Talk to you soon. Love you. That's Tony Venetti. He needs no introduction, He's Tony Natti. Quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back thirty minutes left. Another guest, one more guest to join us. We said the best for last round here and then we'll we'll have another quick segment and then that'll be it.
Speaker 5: So thank you. All, it's coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talks.
Speaker 1: You're listening to coffee in company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: We got about twenty five minutes left here before we wrap it up and get out of here for the weekend. And then I get out of here and I'm gonna go home. But then when I come back, I'm gonna walk down a different hallway because I I'm making the move D eight forty whas And this show so far has been really what I wanted it to be.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: I've been able to at this point not have you know, any kind of real emotional meltdown, which is what I wanted.
Speaker 5: That wouldn't be good for anybody.
Speaker 2: Would be you know, I probably wouldn't be embarrassed, because I don't really get embarrassed by that kind of stuff, but like he wouldn't be good. But a lot of conversations with a lot of friends and people that I look up to and really admire and that have been a part of the show in certain ways. In this next guest, he was a big part of the show for a long time, and he is somebody that I consider a work brother, a radio brother, and I was gonna say little brother, and I guess that's true. But maybe I'm still fighting the fact that I'm a lot older than him, because you know, I don't I never, at any point felt like the old guy. And this guy has never made me feel old, other than you know, when he occasionally references things that I just assume he remembers. Oh he doesn't remember because he wasn't alive. But he is a great man and he's somebody i'm proud to call a friend. And I guess I'll start with the question to the company man, John Alden, Are you ready? Are you ready to be back with me? Because you know, I just assume, of course he's excited. I mean, you know, maybe I can be a lot to deal with. Are you as excited as I am? John Alden?
Speaker 6: Oh, my gosh, I couldn't be. I couldn't be more thrilled that we are gonna be working together and we're gonna be on the big stick this time on news radio.
Speaker 2: Look at us exactly, and you are, first of all, I'm in every one word I said. And to see you climb and not only move up and any any show you've been a part of You've done a damn good job in every way and now that's why you're You're producing not only Kentucky in his morning news, but also Tony and Dwight. And I take no credit for any of that, but it does make me feel good because again, I'm proud of you, and I Vannette's more like an uncle to me because there's a bigger age difference between him and I than than the two of us. But you are you are great, and I know you hear that a lot from a lot of folks, but I want you to know how much you mean to me. The time we worked together was was a lot of fun. And you know, I could tell right away that you you took this this serious. You You were somebody that has always been very professional, but you just, you know, you took it serious to where you if for some if something didn't work out, if we had a goof of something, you know, and that happens, you know, you took it and wanted to get better. And that was so noticeable to me that you care. And it's weird to say, you know, somebody cares about their job, but a lot of people don't, and a lot of people who do do and you do, and that's rare, I think in a lot of ways, especially somebody who is who is who was young like yourself. So I'm really looking forward to it. And how about this we You know, this is crazy to say, but I was talking to a buddy of mine who listens to you along with the morning show at eight forty now and he misses you on this show, and he said something that I hadn't thought about. But maybe it's just because I didn't want to have PTSD. A lot of the time we worked together, all you had. All you listened to was me complain and cry about Kenny Payne. And we won't have to do that on has John.
Speaker 6: I gotta say, is that the time where I jumped on and you moved the afternoon, there was a lot larger of a chunk than I would have ever imagined of Louisville basketball being in the doldrums of wherever they were, and the moment that I got ripped away from you, it seemed like that was the moment that Louisville and Pat Kelsey were able to get things all, you know, the way that they were going this past season. So maybe I was the problem, and nobody really knew that.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't you, and I mean it, trust me, it wasn't. But who would have Who would have thought that we'd be having those conversations, because who would have ever thought that Louisville basketball would be in the position you know that they were, So yeah, it's but even with that, like I'm not kidding you, that was that was therapeutic for me. And you know you, you were a good teammate on the air and let me get it out of my system. And again I'm now glad that that's over. But when it comes to the move to h As, I can now lean on you for some guidance. You've been getting up pretty early. You also are the father now of a of a newborn baby girl, and so that's a that's a different element of it. But I feel like even if you weren't a new father, and I guess before the baby was here, you were already getting up early. Tell me it's not as hard as I think it's going to be. Tell me that it's gonna be okay, John.
Speaker 6: I think I think a lot of it really is mind over matter, because whenever I realized that that's the position, that I was getting thrust into back in November. I was obviously nervous that there was going to be times that it would be maybe impossible to wake up, and until I had the baby. We've had the baby for now. I think she's seven weeks old today. Until just a couple of days ago, I've never had an issue getting up. But now that we've thrown this whole element of taking care of a newborn along with my wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they control your schedule. There's really no way around that, right the I.
Speaker 6: Got the call from Tony Cruz at about four fifty nine am the other day, and I realized that was going to be several minutes late for the first time. But I think you'll just just fine. And you've probably heard this already a million times from Tony Cruz and maybe a few others. But you never get used to getting up that early. There's there's parts of it that you get used to it, but you'll never wake up and feel refreshed at four in the morning.
Speaker 4: Doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Only people who do that, I'm gonna assume, because I was thinking about that the other day, like, you will be used to it as far as it's routine. But I think anybody whose alarm clock goes off at three point thirty or four o'clock or maybe earlier and they're they're up and added and eager, they're either on drugs or they're crazy. I mean that maybe I'm wrong because I don't know how it could be normal, but uh, yeah, I'll get used to it and I'll certainly make it work. But how how has how has the dad life been so far?
Speaker 4: For you? Uh?
Speaker 2: And you know, not just you, obviously your lovely wife Alicia. You guys are new parents, and uh, first of all, I know that's that's an awesome experience. I told you that it would change your life, and I'm sure that it has. But uh, how, I mean, I mean, how how has it been? And I know, I know sometimes it can be difficult because again, newborn babies sometimes they just decided, yeah I'm not going to sleep, Yeah I'm going to cry, I'm gonna do this in that but it's it's a beautiful ride. Uh, And I'm just curious how you feel as a father.
Speaker 6: Well, we're both we're both me and the wife. We're both loving and very much. It was a very interesting beginning because our baby girl, Daisy. She did come four weeks early, and so with her being premature, she was in the nick you for ten or eleven days. Uh, and so that part was, you know, pretty difficult, but we may do and we figured it out and she did just fine. But once we got to bring her home, you know, everything was a brand new. Honestly, every day right now feels like a brand new experience and one way, shape or form. But both me and my wife Alicia are absolutely loving being parents, even though you know, it can be very difficult at times, as I'm sure all parents are aware of, but you know, it's very rewarding too. Even though it's only been seven short weeks, we're absolutely loving it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you some advice. In fact, this is some advice my wife wanted me to pass along to you shortly after Daisy was born. And it's really hitting today because tomorrow is my son Mussa's fifth birthday party, which is crazy. He'll be five years old on Sunday, that's his birthday. And we look back at pictures and like, it goes by so fast, it's such a blur, So try your best to take it all to soak it in and live in the moment. But I feel like if that was easy to do, everybody would do it. So just try be mindful of these early early stages because as much as it can be sometimes just a lot and can be heavy, you believe it or not, you will miss it. I believe that is the case. So you know, keep keep it up, and keep keep all you know, keep keep being you. You are a great guy and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it, and I wouldn't bring you on the show on my Lift show if you mean the world to me and I cannot wait to be reunited with you once again. And last question I will I will ask you have you had moments in your time now with Kentucky and his morning News and with Tony and Dwight where people who you know or like was that you on has Because that happened to me. I've been in radio like three or four years and people didn't know anything. Did I hear you on their eight forty whas? So I'm sure that's happened to you, right. It's a it's a it's a reach.
Speaker 5: I really don't. You don't quite realize until you're on there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so back whenever I was with you one seven ninety, I got it here and there. But you can almost accidentally say something on eight forty and I feel like somebody walking down the street will say they heard you on the radio station. So yeah, that definitely called me by surprise the amount of people that listened to our station. But it also makes me excited for you know, just knowing the impact to make on any of these shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it's it's awesome. And again, as the conversation started here with you and I who to thunk it right here? You know, imagine when we when we launched Coffee and Company in the afternoon, whenever the hell that was I was a blur to me. You know, I thought I thought it'd be successful. You know, I thought the world of you and wanted you to be a part of the show. But now for us to be together along with some other great team members Scott Fitzgerald, John Shannon and everybody else on the lineup, you know, it's, uh, it's pretty awesome stuff and I'm looking forward to it. So thank you for your time as always, and I know Tom is probably something you know you want to use for sleep now, so get some rest, rest up for the weekend. We got a big, a big, big, big show on Monday to get this thing started.
Speaker 5: Thank you, brother, you know I love you.
Speaker 6: Enjoy your last few minutes on seven ninety and I appreciate you letting me be a part.
Speaker 5: Of it, no doubt. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That is the company Man, John Olden. I haven't asked him yet. I'm not I'm not going to force the nickname on him, but I did give him the nickname, which I think is a good nickname, the company Man, because he's he's quite literally that, and I mean that in a complimentary way. He'll do whatever is needed for the team, and UH love that guy. I don't I feel I'm to the point maybe this is my uh insecurity to where I'm not because he is. I mean, he's a lot younger than me as far. I mean, he's like a decade younger than I am. So therefore, like when I call him a little brother, I'm like, what, I don't want to be little and like he's a little kid. But also, you know, he's a lot younger than me, which means I'm I guess just in denial that I'm getting older. But anyways, quick break, the last break, and then we'll come back and we'll call it. So I hope you'll stick with me. I promise it's not going to be some boohoo session here, so stick around. It's coffee company feil about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety