Speaker 1: So before we continue, I need to make an immediate clarification. So certain comments, references, or descriptions made during this discussion should not be taken as personal identifiers, endorsements, or statements of self description by Ryan. His participation in this episode is solely for the purpose of discussion and commentary, and any characterization beyond that would be inaccurate. We want to clarify, we want to clearly understand that before moving forward, and again reiterate that Ryan identifies as one hundred percent heterosexual, which would mean zero percent homosexual, or any other possibility that may be out there we're not aware of. So Ryan, is that sufficient didn't.
Speaker 2: Want us all that energy with that one that left a desired lovey?
Speaker 3: You're swing mirror.
Speaker 1: Sales, so it's so creasy lyrics, making everything.
Speaker 4: Oh so freely the lies they're feeling.
Speaker 2: Or do you just cut it off?
Speaker 1: I just I can cut it off whenever I want, so I do play a shorter version of the song, but it's the full length version, and I just cut it off whenever. Okay, because I'm in control.
Speaker 2: I don't listen to this show, so I've only heard the song once, so it's fine.
Speaker 1: You and everyone else doesn't listen to this show.
Speaker 2: That's true, That's extremely true.
Speaker 1: But anyways, ever since Sarah had her baby, she doesn't listen.
Speaker 3: But we're back. We're back. We're talking about god knows what.
Speaker 1: No, we're talking about the John waters Hey Cinema, Queer Cinema podcast, Pride Month series with Refall and his husband Mark, and we are finishing the Trash trilogy with Ryan Desperate Living Desperate Living, which came out.
Speaker 2: What Do Year nineteen seventy seven, and.
Speaker 3: Ryan, this is your choice? Correct?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And much like how Refall was forced to pick an American movie, you were forced to pick a movie that made you seem not pretentious because you're like, oh, I'm going to pick an African movie, or I'm going to pick this movie I've never seen, and it's just like, oh my god, shut up. But uh, anyways, desper Living, So Ryan, I had never seen this movie before.
Speaker 3: Why don't you take the lead from here?
Speaker 2: Sure? When I was buying all of his movies on t this was the hardest one to find, So I was like, why, I think that's very bizarre because everything else is readily available. So I was like, this has to be something different. I solely picked this because I just love this title so much. I think he's very underrated at titling his movies. I think it's a very.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite of the Trash trilogy. This is my favorite movie we covered in the series.
Speaker 2: That's shocking to hear because it was my pick. But what I think is interesting is, uh, this one, he's like we were like the past move all the movies he's made, like he's creating like these subsets of Baltimore, of like the world he's in, and this one truly is like a different world, Like there's a whole different order of society. And I just thought, like how he made this society up? How fucking insane it is? Who's in charge? It was just so funny, so deranged, so insane. Any tangent I thought was just I thought it was really funny. So I was when I first watched all the movies, this was the one I was the most like, not so much shock value, but it's taking it back by by how much I liked. But yeah, what did you guys think? Had you guys seen it before too?
Speaker 5: I've seen this one before. I was probably very high when I when I watched it, Uh so it was nice to watch it sober. This one starts at an eleven, like like this whole scene with like mink Stole at the house is like really intense.
Speaker 3: Well that's that.
Speaker 1: This is like two of my favorite parts of the movie. First of all, the opening credits are amazing. It's so you're looking down at a at a fine dining table and they're putting down like china and silverware and everything is very fancy and it's clearly like this like elite gala event table. And then the meat they end up serving is a dead rat and I was just like.
Speaker 2: It's also the poster. I think it's a fucking genius poster or two for the movie. I love that.
Speaker 1: And Migstole is a suburban housewife who is turned up to nineteen out of ten as far as anxiety and emotions and just like freaking the fuck out when the husband is coming.
Speaker 2: Like the movie opens with a husband walking outside of this house talking to the doctor, and the doctor's like, hey, she has to go back inside, like this is not going to work like this. She can't be outside anymore, she's too diressed, And the husband just goes the road to mental health is just around the corner. They cut to a baseball smashing her window and she just starts screaming and I lost it. I just lost it because it was just like that's all it took. And she's like, they're trying to fucking assassinate me. She's going absolutely insane. She finds her two young kids having sex with each other, I guess, and they're very young, and she's freaking out.
Speaker 3: They were just like, oh, well, no, that's not what happens.
Speaker 2: When she walks in the room, they're separated.
Speaker 4: And then she yells seldomides, that's what you're learning in a private school.
Speaker 1: So it is very let me let me clarify this because this is very important. It's extremely jarring that there's like two naked eight year olds because this is again, this is the seventies.
Speaker 3: What movie is sorry, what movies this? What year? Is this? Seventy seven? But there's like two naked eight.
Speaker 1: Year olds playing, But it's depicted as like well, you know, you know, like Blue Lagoon and Brookshields and that whole insanity. It's not as weird for the time. However, it's very jarring now it's depicted though, as like, kids are naked sometimes and it's not a big deal. They were acting very innocently. They're absolutely not having sex. But mink Stole is so insane that she overreacts to everything. And when she sees two children that are not clothed together, she accuses them of raping each other.
Speaker 2: So I was in her same headspace. I guess when she opened the door put it that way.
Speaker 3: I'm right right, like Mark and Rafon, Yeah.
Speaker 4: The same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I misread that. So she throws them out. She goes in this absolute tirade. Meanwhile, Griselda, their housekeeper, is witnessing all this chaos. This poor woman, so she is like their housekeeper. She's hearing all this stuff, these conflicts between the husband and her, and the husband accuses Griselda, accuses and quotes of stealing from their house. He then she just grabs her Yes if she was. He opens the purse. He's like, here's my savings account with the with with like slips. Here is my stuff. It was just everything. She's like, okay, you copy, Like what are you going to do? Yeah, So he fires her. He goes back upstairs, telling Peggy, hey, like you're like, you know everything's gonna be okay whatever. He gets frustrated, starts yelling at her. Peggy, being a hypochondriac, screams for Giselda to come help her. She's saying he's trying to hurt me. Griselda stops him. Peggy hits him over the head with something. Griselda sits on his face and I believe suffocates him.
Speaker 3: It kills him.
Speaker 1: Griselda is a very morbidly obsed African American woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this iss fine. Scenes of riding somebody of their life.
Speaker 2: Yes, just amazing how she did it. She just took control and that happens. So then it becomes a new felm in Louise. That's how I was distinct thinking this of they're on the run and they come across Morphil, this fantasy world.
Speaker 1: I want to explain. I have this brief example. Mink Stahl, who is the main character, kind of Peggy Ravel is so insane that she answers the phone. She's so just like she's a delusional, paranoid, over the top housewife. Somebody calls her landline and it's the wrong number, and she screams.
Speaker 3: You call the wrong number. How can I you ever return.
Speaker 1: The last thirty seconds, I just lost of my life. I hate you and I hate your children.
Speaker 3: And then hangs up.
Speaker 1: I wrote, mink Stall deserves an Oscar for this performance, and like, I'm not even kidding, but Mortphil is so they have to flee because they killed this man, this white man.
Speaker 3: Mark.
Speaker 1: How would you describe Mortphil other than where you would like to live?
Speaker 4: Let's maybe it's talk with the translation of the words Morteville from French would be the town of the dead.
Speaker 3: Thanks, professor, Oh, I'm so European.
Speaker 5: You'll always for whatever welcome. I would say the best. The best thing about Mortville is the cops. That's like the only reason to go to Mordville. It's been pretty alive. But otherwise, like it's.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know, like where you didn't like the cop before Mortville? The guy you didn't like the cop before Morey, that's.
Speaker 5: True, that's I know. I did not like the cop outside of Morville was not he was? Yeah, so that that also they hear of Mordville because they're on the run. They get pulled over by another creep. You know, there's always this creep in the like you know, on the roads who basically like wants them to like he wants their panties or something.
Speaker 4: And then in exchange, he.
Speaker 5: Tells them about this kind of safe haven where they can go, which is Mordville and not get like you know, the prosecuted there. And Mordeville is like this shanty town that has just like all of the like real underbelly of society, like all the outcasts, all the criminals hanging out there.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they they.
Speaker 5: And they have this police force who are these like attractive like men in leather, and it is run it is like ruled by the Queen of Mordeville, who has like a castle.
Speaker 2: In this place. I love fake of it, yeah, yeah, but unapologetic, like how it looks like when people are near it, it's tiny, but like then they just do it another way it looks huge. I think that's so hilarious. Yeah. Queen Karlata is amazing played by Edith Massey in the previous movies. I think she's absolutely fucking cooking In this movie.
Speaker 1: Queen Carlotta is the woman who marries Eggman and is also the woman who thinks her son Getter or nephew Gators should be gay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The highlight of well.
Speaker 1: Sorry, go ahead was that mark. The highlight of this movie for me is Liz Renee. So the most beautiful woman in this shantytown Mortville is named Muffy Saint Jacques, and Muffy is.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. I love Liz Renee.
Speaker 1: I immediately was like, whoa, this is so up my alley. Liz Renee was basically a very early on like famous stripper, which back in the day, this is unheard of for somebody to be a famous stripper. She was married seven times, including to a famous actor. But I was reading about the production of this movie. John Lauters received a copy of Liz Renee's autobiography In My Face for the world to see, and wanted to offer her a role in the film. He went to see her Blessed show in Boston, then travel to la to offer her the all of Muffy's Saint Jaques. He offered her only a brief outline of the story, withholding major graphic details for fear that she might refuse the role. She accepted and flew to Baltimore for three weeks of filming, which was reportedly all the production could afford to pay her for her services.
Speaker 3: So she is just.
Speaker 1: Really hot, and I'm a huge fan of Muffy the Most Beautiful Girl and Morphil and also her her girlfriend or wife.
Speaker 3: The mole was.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be played by Divine, and Divine couldn't be in the movie for some reason.
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: Divine is notably not in this and also the copy of messaging about this guy did not make it in the movie because he like he was addicted to PCP.
Speaker 4: The David Lockery who was in the other two movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, John Waters act was asked why was David Lockery not and jessper living and he just responded PCP. And then I looked David Lockery up after seeing that, and he died of a PCP overdose.
Speaker 3: You don't really hear a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people being addicted and dying from PCP. You hear cocaine, crack heroin, you know, all sorts of stuff, but you don't I don't know a lot of celebrities that have died from PCP specifically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, AnyWho, I really wish from the past movie, the prior that sort of the movies that happened after that, Mol McHenry got a little bit more shine as an actor I really liked her in this movie, and she kind of got more of like background characters in his future movies, even the ones post Divine. But I really liked mole that when Griselda and Peggy are on the run, when they first come into war Phil, she's like, hey, I need a place to save. This is a sign for vacancy. The first place he shows is just dead body on there, and she's like, don't worry, I'll get rid of the stiff.
Speaker 5: He committed suicide the night before and they haven't removed.
Speaker 2: When she just when she's like, you guys want to join me for dinner? Sure, And when they're sitting down, she's like, boy, you two are ugly bitches. She's just like so, she's so gruesome, and then she's serving them a dead animal, which probably, for all we know is real based on the prior movies. And that's of course where we meet Muffy and explain their dynamic, pretty pretty complicated relationship, stabbing her in the hand when she crosses her sare's a luck. There's a lot going on there, but pretty much from this point, Grizilda and Peggy are arrested by the Queen's Police, brought before her, we meet Cuckoo, her daughter, the Princess, who wants to marry I love this phrase. The Newdest mutant janitor from the Newdest Colony. Also in more Phil again it's John Waters. Just total Middle Earth here.
Speaker 1: Text I texted you, I said, this is I read, so after watching jes for Living, I had to read the Wikipedia plot description to make sure I understood.
Speaker 3: And this is my favorite part.
Speaker 1: Quote Carlotta's rebellious daughter, Princess Cuckoo attempts to elope with the nudest garbage collector, but he is killed by Carlotta's royal guards.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it.
Speaker 4: I think I would like to add that the moment he got he gets shot, or right before he gets shot, she says that she had jerked off fourteen times thinking about him within the same second.
Speaker 2: Basically yeah, when he's like poetically describing like I saw a used Kleenex and thought, if you were ever sick, I would take care of you. It's just like all like these things. I just everyone, It's just every level of it. I also loved they give the backstories for how like how people got to Mortville, and the backstories for Mole and Muffy are just because like Muffy seems because she seems like quote unquote the most normal person in that situation. Her backstory, like her husband's a drunk, she runs home, her babysitters having a party. Her babysitter says they're too high, so they can't find the kid, and they find their kid in refrigerator. I love that it was a real kid in the refrigerators open up and the kid comes out, and then the babysitter comes down. It's like, we have to pay me, Like she doesn't give a shit that the kid was lost and found, and then she just suffocates her in dog food. I think it's just perfect, and then hurts the husband. And then just Moll's backstory of being a wrestler and her costume is arasing Rida, Yeah, wrestling Rita, And she destroys the blockhead, just beats him to death, knocks his eye out of his head with a heel, and they're both just struggle the referee.
Speaker 1: The reason I love this movie more than Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble is because it's just sort of like Go Nuts. Go Nuts is John Waters. He makes up a whole fictional shanty town with its own monarchy and laws, and like the Queen Carlotta Institute's Backwards Day where everybody has to walk backwards.
Speaker 3: It's just so over the top ridiculous, even more so than the other two films.
Speaker 1: Even like the color schemes are insane, but people are wearing is insane. Uh, It's just it's like a cartoon. It's like if you took Female Trouble and made it a cartoon, which to me makes it way more palatable and fun, which is why it was my favorite one.
Speaker 2: I think what's interesting is like it still has like when Queen Carlotta makes them execute that guy who's just like, fuck you bitch when he comes to her, and like she just shoots them, so you're like, oh wow. Like she's also like this is why she's in control, because she's the same. But then during the parade, when Mole is like I just can't not take this opportunity and she just throws the mudball at Queen Carlotta, it almost seemed like it was real because the way Edith Matthews Turner's goes who threw that? And then nothing happens. They just cut to the next scene. I always thought it was so funny.
Speaker 1: It was just terrified, like, oh, that's a bad move because if you get caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's so it's so so deranged, so very heavy movie very much.
Speaker 1: So it is and and actually so I guess he caught a lot of flak for this. H Plus, I guess the title Desperate Living was the name of a popular lesbian magazine at the time. So and it was like, who are you, ay man to tell a lesbian story?
Speaker 3: So huh I.
Speaker 1: I would like to say in my list of fiction places to not use the bathroom, mort Phil would be up there.
Speaker 3: Really, there's a like.
Speaker 2: The Bolo glory Hole.
Speaker 1: The boot Gloryhole obviously was the best part of it, and I'm down for that. But they're the sink when you walk in. Like Mark said he was uncomfortable in mort Phil, he would be uncomfortable in Mortphill. And this is the man who wants to go to Flea Bottom. So he also loved Westworld when we talked about that back in the day. But there there there's a giant troughed sink to wash your hands, but it's labeled shits, so you take shit in there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love that. She goes through so like this is after they get arrested and they get I think, overhauled by the queen, and Peggy and Griselda are at that bar with them, and she has to walk through two different hallways at the bathroom. She's assaulted in both hallways by different people, like one one hallways super dark and someone just comes out and grass there. And then while she's in the bathroom, that woman the pink will not let her go. I love that. I think it's just like I just will not stay away from her.
Speaker 1: I should have realized this beforehand because I never really thought of it. But this is like, this is John Waters Alice in Wonderland, right, I mean, it's a completely fantastical world where there's the crazy queen who's like off of their heads.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: I genuinely never thought of that until just now when I was thinking about how fantastical this is, which is why it worked for me. But I thought this was just really fun, and I wanted to mention a couple things. I wanted to ask you a question, because we're so accepting of lifestyles in twenty twenty six, are people less horny? Because I mentioned that like develout Mormons are secretly addicted to porn.
Speaker 3: Because it's so forbidden. But if like, let's say you're really into.
Speaker 1: Let's say you're really into what's something that would be weird. Let's say you're really into covering somebody in play dough during sex, and that's so weird you would never tell a soul and it becomes this like kinky, niche thing, that's your secret. But if we're so accepting in twenty twenty six and it's like, yeah, you're into plato sex cool, here's a Facebook group about it? Does it are people like, Nah, I'm not you know, all right, Like that's not as cool. I'm not in as into that anymore. It's not like my little secret, you know. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like you're hiding it. It's more there's more energy to it, right.
Speaker 1: Mark and for Fall are noticeably silent.
Speaker 4: Silence of agreements. Uh. Also the because I think it also response to the idea of the beginning of the relationship where everything is kind of a certain degree, you know, secretive, and then it's just so exciting.
Speaker 3: Refall, have you ever watched mad of your Watch? Mad Men?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 1: Okay, so Megan says to Dawn, you only like the beginnings of things.
Speaker 3: Well, just maybe think of it.
Speaker 1: Faye Fay, Oh, Fay, you're right, Fay, thank you, Mark, thank you for correcting me.
Speaker 3: Face says that doctor Fay.
Speaker 1: Carlotta says at the end of the movie, I'm going to pretend I'm instituting mass immunization to make people safe, but I'm secretly going to kill everyone by putting rabies in their vaccines. John Waters predicted COVID.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this, this is such a bad plan on Carlotta's part, Like this seems awful, Like the town running around with the rabies seems awful.
Speaker 3: But that's what they do.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 4: They say, ohas beautiful because this is actually happening. In a conversation with Faggy, and then there was this beautiful exchange in which one of them says, one would be fun when they stopped collapsing in the streets, like walking into sewer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well this is coming from the woman who also ordered her guards sees and fuck her, referring to her daughter exactly.
Speaker 2: I love when she comes up with the plan quote unquote, when she brings in that guard, has him strip and dance for her and she's spanking him, and she's like, can ask you a favor? Do you know what? Do you know where I can find a hydrogen bomb? And then she's like maybe I love the way she words it too, because again I think it's just the way Edith Massy talks. She's like, maybe there's a way we can spread rabies and expansively, Like why are they worried about this? Money exists here. It's just like it's so funny, just the deranged part of this.
Speaker 4: So she and she does infect her daughter with rabies.
Speaker 2: She does. She also she.
Speaker 1: Also hates her daughter very like more than more than a stranger.
Speaker 3: She hates her daughter.
Speaker 4: But I actually had a problem the rabies and all of that because I was wandering since like she infects the dollar in the first place, but then the dollar actually bites her, so she gets infected automatically herself, and then she ends being fried and serves to the public as a turkey. So I'm wondering, isn't the dangerous for the public.
Speaker 3: That's all rap.
Speaker 1: I'm first of all, I appreciate your public health concerns.
Speaker 2: Also the fact that like Cuckoo just like dies, like she just overcome with the rabies and she just dies when everyone's celebrating and it's just end credits, let's go. I Also I want to point out, which was really sad, is when Griselda is trying to like protect her and the house collapses and kills I was like no, I was like, come on, I love it.
Speaker 4: It's a Game of Thrones type of killing people. It's just that goes on your main character. There's gonna be another main character, no problem, it's just yet another main character that needs to die. Okay, next.
Speaker 5: But then but then when that happens, mink Stole basically switch asides and she goes to become like the daughter that's Carlotta never had exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Well, just to interrupt with fall, you can kill rabies by cooking an animal.
Speaker 3: But it can. But you can, but.
Speaker 1: It's considered extremely risky and not worth it.
Speaker 2: Accord ahead of time.
Speaker 3: It says.
Speaker 1: It says if every single part of the meat reaches over one hundred and thirty three degrees fahrenheit for several minutes, then the virus will die.
Speaker 4: No, but then it's dry. You don't want to meat like.
Speaker 1: That, So you got to weigh one against the other I guess exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh oh sorry, go ahead, Ryan.
Speaker 2: I should I think we should definitely talk about the kind of gift of the magi story with Mole.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: So they steal a winning a winning lottery ticket that Grimselda had stolen from Peggy's husband, and Mole takes it and it's like, great, let's see if we won. They're going through morphil to find a newspaper to find the lottery numbers they win. So Mole is like, I'm going to go into town. I'm gonna get some stuff. I'm going to come back. And earlier in the movie, Muffy makes a comment that Mole is missing something that would make her like the perfect man for her. So Mule goes into town. I love there's a liquor store right next to where you claim the lottery tickets. Absolutely flawless design there. And Mull goes into the actual Johns Hopkins building. Love by the way, there's a fucking screen door on a medical office, doctor's office, hysterical to me. Love that, And she is looking for a sex change operation. They're explaining there's a lot involved. Again, this is nineteen seventy seven, so there's a lot of like they do psychological examination stuff like that, so she's like nope. She takes the nurse hostage and is like nope, and she takes the doctor and she's like, you're gonna do this for me now, So then things happen. We go back home. She comes out comes home in that amazing suit and she's bought Muffy underwear, new dress, new bra knew everything. And she's like, I got one more surprise for you, and she makes her clones her eyes, she opens them. She gets a penis and comes on to Muffy and Muffy is like repulsed by this and freaks out and she's like, get away, get away. Mole is so crushed by this that she cuts the penis off and they cut to another scene and they come back and I know this sounds to range, but I thought it was really nice. Muffy is like selling the wound is like I just liked you. I said that to bus to make you, know, to make hotter, to fuck with you, but like I love you for you. I was like, that's like that's really nice. I was like wow. I was like for for as insane as that sounds. And four John Waters movies in a row. I was like, that's really nice. It's like really really really really sweet, and I feel like that is the image I remember the most from when I watched all of his movies was the cutting off part, because it was just remember being of the most insane things you see in his movies in this fantasy world still being very graphic.
Speaker 4: For this movie, that's interesting because mine is shooting asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they stick a gun up. They don't show it, but they they don't show like insertion, but they shoot min Stole up her asshole. And I wrote to Mark because Rafall, I wish you were like on our group text, but Mark says, we're not allowed to talk to you. But me and Ryan and Mark have a group text, and I said, I've never seen anyone shot with a gun in their asshole until Desperate Living, so that happened. Also, I want to add, when they cook Queen Carlotta and bring her out like a turkey, it reminded me of of Midsummer where just like that unnatural look on the face of like skin the Jester or the other people that like the Oh god, I don't even want to I don't know why I wrot that up, I'm like feeling queasy, but yeah, made me think of that.
Speaker 2: So yeah. I also love just collect the credits just no Demula just kind of like wants to cut the Queen movies over m Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah this, Yeah, I've said this a bunch, but this was the most fun.
Speaker 3: This was the most campy.
Speaker 1: Like, if we're going for a over the top insane comedy, that's campy. This has like hit all the marks for me. So it nobody's going to watch any of them. But if you had to watch one of these movies, I would go Desperate Living. I would go My rankings for these four would be Desperate Living, Pink, Flamingos, Cry Baby, Female Trouble.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I think weirdly because this is I think weirdly because this one is in such a fantasy world. I feel like this movie has the least impact of a lot of his movies. I think that's the reason why. Not in a bad way, but I think, like I get that, I get that, Ryan, I mean, I love this one, but I'm saying I think the reason why it's not as like seen as like shocking as other ones are more insane, I think is because it's such a different world and it's so clearly made up.
Speaker 4: This is actually the safety of the convention. Actually, it takes you into the fantasy world. This is what Tim said. This is the Alice in Wonderland kind of situation. It's just it's it's a safe distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and have you I've seen Polyester.
Speaker 2: I have, actually him and I were talking about that because like Hairspray, Polyester was on Comedy Central a lot when I was a kid, and it also had this smelling card too. That was the big thing. He gave out smell cards in the theater, so when they told you on the screen to scratch it, you could do it.
Speaker 5: I've seen probably Esther, but I don't remember what exactly happens, and I feel like I remember more the scenes of of Desperate Living.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, yeah, it's I remember because the big thing with it was tab Hunter, yea, a guy who was like because they just I was. I mean, people haven't seen it. It's played as like a very straight up melodrama where just divine and is playing a woman and tab Hunter plays her husband, and it's just kind of about like this kind of like again fifties thing. But I remember because the commercials on Comedy Central Fur it would always be like the two of them running and embracing in the house, and it was just called like like why is called polyester? And it was just like always the commercial for it. But I also knew, like I think John Waters similar to other people like he like he has Patty Hurst. He loves people who have interesting histories, where like tab Hunter has an interesting lynk. I believe he was closeted gay for a very long time, and I think when he came out it was just kind of like over for him as a star. So I think a similar thing where like he was bringing him back into people's lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do do we want to give desperate living it Tammy?
Speaker 5: Or I was one one thinks this is the kind of the end of the you know series. I did also read I don't know if you guys read this, that like John Waters made a screenplay for a sequel to Paint Flamingos and apparently Divine did not want to do it.
Speaker 4: Like they were either.
Speaker 5: Focusing they said like partly they were focusing on more like serious acting roles, and then also that they were thinking that this sort of like crude humor wasn't going to work in the kind of eighties. Uh, And then Edith Massey died and then Divine died shortly after that, so it never got made. But apparently the screenplay exists. And I think John Waters actually like like has has it in some book of his that you can read the screenplay of Flamingo's Forever.
Speaker 1: So I will mention like Tam Tammy's making love speaking of Divine, o, she's our our queen. Tammy is making love to the microphone. So non short films, he made Mondo Trash Show, Pink Flamingos Female Trouble, Oh, sorry, multiple Maniacs. It goes Mando Trashow, Multiple Maniacs, Flamingo's Female Trouble, just for Living, Polyester, Hairspray, cry Baby, Serial Mom, Pecker cecil be demented in a Dirty Shame, and then after a dirty shame, he has not made a feature length movie because studios finally were like, wait, why are we doing this? And he has not been able to make a movie since. But it's been It's happened to Like John Carpenter, it happened too. And there are some great directors that just can't get movies made anymore.
Speaker 2: I think it's the idea, Like they always say, like the joke, it's like you become like, hey, they want to reward you. Hey, they wanted you to come speak. But if you ever want see people like hey, I have an idea for a movie, they just ignore you. They don't know anymore correct. He's written a few books. That's another thing too. He has been writing a lot of just novels of his ideas, which I think a lot of people who have a hard time getting things off the ground do that too. So he's kind of had something out there, but it just sucks that he can't get one more out.
Speaker 1: Let's first give desperate living advice. And I would say my desperate living advice is, you know, don't don't use the bathroom in a scenario where if you're like, if you're on the street and you don't feel safe, don't use the bathroom there.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be worse.
Speaker 2: Ryan, don't buy the street pie. When they first get to Moretville, I just died that cart. That guy and there was chocolate and lemon oh chocolate Lease. Just the immediate reaction was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's like in Game of thrones to go back to that. When uh Aria is like masquerading as an oyster salesman in the city and she's just walking down the street with like a basket of oysters, going like oysters for sale, I'm like, whoa, who the fuck is buying that? That's instant death or sick for four days? But Mark, was you just for living advice?
Speaker 5: I was thinking, if you do need to go to Mordville, I think you should move into the Newdest Colony because it seemed like they didn't have to follow rules, and it seemed like generally they were having a good time in the aside from that guy getting shot, but he had connection to Cuckoo, so otherwise it seemed like if I had to be in Mordville, I wouldn't stay at the Newdest Colony.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to quote what was her name? Peggy? Was it Peggy, the one who had the mental issues in the first place? Peggy? Yeah, So the moment she is about to get shot, she says a single gun shut can never destroy the beauty of fascism.
Speaker 1: That that is a great quote.
Speaker 3: That is a fantastic quote.
Speaker 2: No, well, sorry, go ahead, Ryan, Sorry just speaking.
Speaker 1: I was going to transition to something else. So if it's relevant, I mean, you're probably wasting everyone's time. But if it's relevant, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Hasn't all this been that?
Speaker 3: Go ahead? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Never mind, it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Though, No, no, no, for real, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Go ahead please.
Speaker 2: In the opening credits, I just love as an actor named Turkey Joe. I thought that was great. Name is Turkey? Just says Turkey Joe. Like in the list of actors, it's like Joe Stevens, Vincent Peranio. Turkey Joe was Like, who the fuck was Turkey Joe?
Speaker 4: He was the cop he was he was the cop who like wants their panties.
Speaker 1: Oh really perfect, I would say that. So I think we should transition now to John Waters overall advice, And my John Waters overall advice is, even if this is not for you, and this is insane and gross and you hate this, you have to admit It's like I've said this about movies before, where.
Speaker 3: I didn't like this, but I'm glad it exists.
Speaker 1: You have to be glad that someone like John Waters exists and is somewhat mainstream, because we need, we need.
Speaker 3: John Waters in society.
Speaker 1: If everyone was the same society would be so boring and so strict, and we need John Waters to push the boundaries and just freak out the squares and freak out the hippies to like I said earlier, you know, we need somebody that's like, oh shit, I'm gonna turn your world.
Speaker 3: Upside down today.
Speaker 1: Even if we don't like it, we have to respect that. There's something like, we're so free in America. We're such a wonderful country, even though like nowadays is very flawed and we're in a real bad state. We're so free of a country and so wonderful that people like John Waters can flourish in America.
Speaker 3: And there's very very.
Speaker 1: Few opportunities like that where people can flourish in the world being artists like John Waters.
Speaker 3: So I think that he's a unicorn.
Speaker 1: That's what I said earlier, and that's why I love him so Ryan, what's your John.
Speaker 3: Waters advice.
Speaker 2: That doing something creative with your friends can pay off? We were saying off Mike, he said the same. Cast primarily, even when he went more mainstream with like Serial Mom and stuff and got bigger stars, he still cast most of these people in his movies. He used the same crew, casting people, cinematographers, everything, all of them stuck with them, and it just kind of it's just kind of nice that that kind of thing can exist, where like you guys started out making these backyard movies and now when you got this successful, he stuck with you. You stuck with him, and you just get to keep doing this. And I think that's just a really nice thing to see, as corny as that sounds, that that kind of thing can pay off for all of you. Mark, It's really nice.
Speaker 5: I mean it's kind of to echo like what like you were saying tough as well, because I feel like when I was watching is like when I was watching what's it called Crybaby right before this, I just felt like John like what we were watching, like John Waters saw in his life and was like this needs to be made fun of in order for us to progress, like you know, like this like this bunny hop, Like I know he saw people doing the bunny hop and he was like, what the hell was this? And I feel like this is also very healthy of a society to be able to create a eyes some of the things we've gone through. And I think John Watererce is a really good way of being able to do that like make things very uncomfortable, but you know, do it in a way that make the uncomfortable comfortable in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that this goes back to what I was talking about, like if you this, this is like the squares doing the bunny hop is like when I see a man in a blue polo shirt going to a Dave Matthews concert, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, are you really that boring? Are you really that boring?
Speaker 1: And we need people in life to be like, are you really that boring? Refall, what is your John Waters advice?
Speaker 4: Well, I would kind of also the same route, the similar route. I would say, that's whatever fringery in your allegitimates, Like you're just fine? Do you do you? Because I read I read like, especially in cry Baby, I really love this idea. That's like we're kind of talking about John Waller as being the sort of icon of queer cinema whatsoever, and then he's actually giving a portraits of hillbillies who are who are now out of Norway becoming the characters that we associate ourselves with. And this is how he's really, in a brilliant way, kind of blending the boundary and he's showing you, Okay, whatever the hell fringe you're in, and you kind of find yourself comfortable. You're fine. Just live your truth.
Speaker 1: I love that, Live your truth, Live your truth. So the reason why not that like gay cinema is so fucking weird and out there. But I love doing this series because it's just, you know, like most of the time we're talking about Goodfellas or Batman or you know, bullshit, and this is a way too, you know, like I talked about on the hen Reportrait of a Seriracular Podcast, I want to play some music that'll scare the hell out of people. I like making people uncomfortable, which Mark has noticed about me probably fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: But I'm glad that that we.
Speaker 1: Can discuss movies like this every year, only if they're in English and not if they're in any other language. So thank you so much for doing this and for contributing to the John Waters theme, especially when it's very difficult to watch these movies in Iceland, but Mark pyrates all of them. Yeah, so until next year. I mean, I hope Mark will be on before then. But this was wonderful and thank you so much for being here guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having thanks for having this. We need to do euphoria next.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your marriage.
Speaker 3: We do need to do you for.
Speaker 1: I'll be in because I'm so straight and Sidney Sweeney's got boobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Said, I'm more of a I'm more of a Maddy guy personally, if you want to go that way.
Speaker 1: Really interesting, absolutely absolutely, Ben text, Ben.
Speaker 2: Text, she's one of the few this season.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ben is.
Speaker 1: Ben is into very very thin women, like way more so than I am. And he texted me He's like, I'm not saying Sidney Sweeney is mid. I'm not one of those like in cells it's going to say that. But and then he proceeded to tell me how Sidney Sweeney is mid and I'm just like, no, no, I mean you can like see her ribs when you know, when you're looking at her torso she just happens to have big boobs.
Speaker 3: But no, I don't agree with that at all.
Speaker 1: But anyways, so this is what happens when you live in ten here, Scottsdale for twenty years.
Speaker 3: Sidney Sweeney has average to you.
Speaker 1: So all right, well let's end this before anything bad happens.
Speaker 3: And thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mark and Refall, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry but I did not catch your name.
Speaker 2: By Brian Brian.
Speaker 1: Thank you Brian, and we will catch you on the lit