Speaker 1: Here is your channel night first one I one forecast gonna have some scattered showers of storms today. It's going off to eighty five degrees overnight clouds sly chance of rain seventy one tomorrow, little chance in the morning, but they say a possible storm in the afternoon coming in after one or so high eighty six so overnight lowest seventy two is gonna be very humid, which is the spotty chances some storms and a very humid Sunday with the chance of storms eighty seven be to high end. Right now, it's seventy three degrees in time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UC UP Tramping Center of the U See Help Brain Tumor Center finds answers for some of the most complex brain tumors. Learn more at UC health dot com. Cruise continue to work for the reck southbound seventy five at Preman. They're over on the right shoulder and southbound seventy one on the ram for Smith Edwards. There's a wreck on Cincinnati Dayton at Princeton with a poll and wires down. Chuck Ingram on fifty five kr Seed the talks.
Speaker 1: Hey seven thirty here fifty five CARCD Talk Station. Moving away from things political. Welcome back to the fifty five Parase Morning Show, hair Don Heinrich Toltzman to talk about this book that he actually was the editor of. I Am Innocent Statement from the Death Cell, the Gate and ze Herr Holtzmann Bill commend Morgan.
Speaker 3: Good Morgan, thank you, Brian. I. In the past, I've come on and talked about a lot of different topics relating to the German heritage, and one that I became interested in was the trial of Bruno Richard Hauptmann. And I had found by reading through the German American papers that many, especially German Americans, felt that he did not get a fair trial, that he'd been framed and reilroaded during the trial for the Lindbergh kidnapping case. And when I was in Germany and I happened to visit Hautman's home town comments in Saxony, and I found that part of his autobiography had been published in German, but it was part of a larger manuscript that he had written. And when I came back to the US, I founded at the New Jersey State Police Museum, parts were missing. The part that had published in Germany. So I translated them into English and put together the full manuscript, and I think it sheds light of the case, and I added a lot of notes to it based on my research, which I think clearly showed that he did not get a fair trial. It was really an absolute farce. And I should say too that the kidnapping that took place in nineteen thirty two, it made international news.
Speaker 1: Was the first man to cross the Atlantic in an airplane. I mean, he was a global hero.
Speaker 3: Today we take it for granted back and forth Europe, but in nineteen twenty seven he flew the first NonStop transatlantic flight and he was like John Glenn, who you know, the man in the Moon. I mean, he was famous beyond it was I mean, you're just incredible. So so the kidnapping took place in nineteen thirty two, and we'll go into some of the details. But after Haupmant was arrested, the police beat him to a pulp tried to get a confession from him, but they failed. He maintained his innocence. The police there too, from their perspective, they were under tremendous pressure. Been two and a half years after the kidnapping. They had not found anybody, and they offered money to Haupman if he would confess, They offered him and see, but he maintained his innocent. So I edited the autobiography and it gives him a posthumous opportunity to tell to tell his story. And you know why is that important? Well, it was called the crime of the century, and it was you know, even then already people questioned that the evidence was manufactured, witnesses were bribed and so on, and you know a problem for the Hautman. That's time anti German sentiment was right after World War One, anti German feeling. Hitler just came to power. So here he was a German immigrant and that made it difficult for him. There was an underlying cause against him that was against him. And also his lawyers totally incompetent. They met with him very actually very few times, and uh they were incompetent. Then you know, I wouldn't mention the witnesses. The witnesses who testified him against him. One of the lead one was John Condon and in a police lineup and then in a meeting with Hautman for an hour, he denied that Hautmant was the man he had spoken with when ransom money was transferred.
Speaker 1: And I was going to ask you specifically about doctor John Condon described as a key witness as the person who acted as a mediator between Lindberg, who was the alleged between Lindberg and the kidnappers. So Charles Lindberg still around, he wants his son back. The kidnappers obviously, I guess want their their money. They're they're they're there, they ransom demand. How did this Condon guy end up being the liaison between the kidnappers and the Lindberg family.
Speaker 3: He's really a strange person in the New York area. He read about it. He contacted Lindbergh and said, could I put a note in the paper asking the kidnapper or kidnappers to contact me and I will act as a mediator. And so he came out of nowhere. Was he himself involved in the kidnapping, that is a question, but he popped up into the case totally an unknown factor. And then he met on two occasions with a person to transmit ransom money to him, and he spoke with it with that person, and later on then he met with Hautmann in jail, but he denied that that was the person he had spoken with, But then on the during the trial he said he was a person.
Speaker 1: Oh, change your heart there, No, that's not the guy. Yes, it is the guy. There's a red flag. Harr Holtzman. Let's pause. We'll bring you back to talk about some more of the interesting details of this case. Seven point thirty six. Right now, fifty five kre ce Detalk station. Get touch with Chimney Care fireplace in stove. You got a wood burning fireplace, take care of your safety right now. It's such an easy thing to do. You call for an appointment to go to the website, make an appointment and you will get you take advantage of the special the woodburning sweep and evaluation. They will use a video camera and inspect your entire chimney. Check out the creoso build up that's in there. Find out if you had a prior chimney fire. You don't want a second one. Your house will burn down. At least that says a leading cause of home fires. An uncleaned, unmaintained chimney that's filled with a bunch of soot that catches fire. Creoso build up from the wood, get it all cleaned out so you can hit the ground running in the fall when the temperatures drop and you want to use it. So it's a great time to do it. They've got opportunities for you to have your whole thing taken care of, so think of your safety in the off month. Call them for the appointment. It's only on in sixty nine ninety nine plus tax good savings there five one three two four eight ninety six hundred. That's an insurance policy, isn't it Five one three two four eight ninety six hundred. And you can book the appoyment online and learn more about the showroom and all the services they offer. Go to Chimneycare Co dot com fifty five KRC. Here. Here is your Channel nine first morning weather forecasts. Scattered showers of storms possibility today. It's going to be a high of eighty five seventy one overnight with another slight chance of rain storms and showers tomorrow as well, most likely after one pm. They predict eighty six for the highest, seventy two overnight, very humid and a spotty chance of storms. Plus Sunday also a very humid day with a chance of storms. Eighty seven on high Right now it's seventy three in time for traffic that you.
Speaker 2: See how Traffic Center that you see Health Brain Tumor Center finds answers for some of the most complex brain tumors.
Speaker 3: Learn more.
Speaker 2: You see how dot Com sevebound seventy five crews continue to work with an accident right hands in Preman that traffic is slowed from zer Charles. There is an accident on eastbound Vierls Ramp to ridd single car wreck with a car into the ball entered. Accident on Cincinnati Dayton at Princeton took down a utility pole. Chuck Ingramont fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's seven forty fifty five KRCD talk station Broent Thomas with Don Henry Toltzman with a really fascinating story. He's the editor of the book. We're talking about I Am Innocent, A statement from the death cell. We're talking about the alleged killer of Charles Lindberg Junior, the son of the great Charles Lindberg, first person to fly across the Atlantic, A real, genuine, true world global hero. A picture on the front of all the newspapers around the globe. For a long period of time. They're just the very famous man he was. So of course his son being kidnapped and ultimately murdered drew the attention of the American people. And this guy, the person who was convicted, Bruno Richard how wrote a book in German and that's what Harr Toltzman has uh has translated into English, so it's his words. But also the commentaries were learning from Don Toltzman about why this was probably a total farce, this trial. And as I read your notes, Don Man, this guy was he was railroaded.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, he was completely railroaded. And I said also earlier he had been severely beaten, almost beaten to death, and attempted to be bribed. And the witnesses were, uh, Condon was completely in the main witness was unreliable. Other witnesses one said he had seen Houtmann near the Lindbergh Home, but he was partially blind in one eye.
Speaker 1: Reasonable.
Speaker 3: Another witness was paid for by his testimony by the police. And another witness said they had seen him, you know, the Lindbergh Home in a green car, but Helpman had a blue car. Now, there were other witnesses that said Hotman testified that he had picked up his wife, as per usual, from a bakery in New York. There were several testified he was there. They were completely blown away and ignored. And so the whole thing about the witnesses was absurd. And I think maybe you, as a lawyer could understand that readily.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the ransom notes another thing. They said that the so called experts said that he had written them. Well, the police told him to exactly copy the ransom notes. He was supposed to exactly meet him a whole day, night and day to copy them looked exactly like the ransom notes. Then they had the so called experts say, look what he wrote the same as the ransom notes, but that.
Speaker 1: He did what he was instructed to do, which was mimic the handwriting in the ransom notes rather than penned in his own hand. Yes, oh that's insane. Now, you know, any effective lawyer would have blown these witnesses away on cross examination. You could create reasonable doubts so easily. What the hell was this? What was the deal with Edward J. Riley, his attorney.
Speaker 3: Well, the Riley was really incompetent. He spent a total of about forty minutes, only forty minutes. Most of the meetings with Hautman last at five minutes. He was often intoxicated, He was a big blow hard, and it was completely incompetent. So his lawyers were also, you know, there was an assistant lawner, but they were really incompetent. And then there was other evidence. One thing that they talked about was the wooden ladder that was used. Yeah, well, when they first searched Houtman's garage, they couldn't find they didn't find anything, But then later they found a board that they said matched the wood used on the ladder. Well, it obviously looks to have been planted there by the police. And when you looked at the ladder, it did not even reach the window of the Lindbergh home. And also it wouldn't have held somebody of haut Month's weight. I think there was a test done on and one of the lower rungs of the ladder broke. And also it was about two feet below the window of the second floor of the Lindbergh home. And so how somebody could have crawled out of the window carrying a like a thirty pound infant and get down there was incredibly you know. And also Lindberg's her Heutman's fingerprints were found nowhere, and so the whole case really looks like a farce. And also I alluded to a recent research by Lisa Pearlman who has a book called The Lindbergh Kidnapping Suspect Number One, The Man Who Got Away.
Speaker 1: And she.
Speaker 3: Convincingly argues that it was Charles Lindberg who masterminded the whole kidnapping, that he was behind it.
Speaker 1: Base of all, I don't go down too too far down that Lisa Pearlman rabbit hole. But based upon what why would Lindbergh want to have his own son kidnapped?
Speaker 3: His son had Ricketts, which a disease re lots were results in bowed legs. He was considered had mentally deficient. Lindbergh believed in eugenics and genetic superiority and purity.
Speaker 1: And he was an anti He was an anti semi too, if I recall my history correctly.
Speaker 3: It was an anti semi. He went to Nazi Germany and he received an award from the Nazi regime. He was criticized for it, but he refused to return the reward. Whereas I should say from my research, other German Americans would not accept any medal or award from Nazi Germany. Now, when they did the autopsy of the of the infant, they found that parts of it were organs had been removed surgically. And in this recent publication I mentioned it was found that Lindberg was in tough with a surgeon and it thought that the baby was operated on to investigate what was the cause of his of the Ricketts and the disease. And this related to Lindbergh's in the same belief in eugenics. He couldn't understand that he fathered a a physically diseased child.
Speaker 1: So it's in case itself.
Speaker 3: I mean, the trial was an absolute farce. It wasn't he was, and he he was browbeaten to during Houtman during the trial, wasn't given a chance to tell his story. So that's why I edited his autobiography, which he wrote in a jail cell, and to give him a chance to listen to what he had to say, because he didn't get a chance. He was mocked and browbeaten and physically beaten.
Speaker 1: And so I got a couple of questions though considering all of this damning evidence in so far as the prosecution and the in the in the prosecutorial conduct from law enforcement all the way through trial. First off, real quick here, harr Holman, uh Toltsman, how did they finger Houtman as the guy the suspect? I mean, what brought him into the field division of law enforcement in the first place? Given all this you know, exculpatory evidence that's floating.
Speaker 3: Around, the reason that he was arrested was that he uh the the ransom money that had been given to the person that Condon met at a cemetery at the serial numbers haven't copied. Well, a couple of years later than Hautmann had gone to a gas station and he had paid for a gasoline with one of the bank notes and it was what was called a silver certificate, and they were being turned in at that time, and so the serial numbers were copied and when the attendant there noticed that, and he contacted the police about it, and he had copied on the license number on Haupmann's car, and so they traced it to him and that's the way he identified it.
Speaker 1: But given years later though that it's a possibility that the actual ransom recipient had passed those notes around and he just ended up with one in his pocket.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true. And the ransom money also was turned in at various banks around the country, even in the Midwest. Three thousand dollars were turned in at a bank in New York City and none of these notes had any connection.
Speaker 1: To He wasn't there when.
Speaker 3: He said that it had been given to him to a business associate who had returned to Germany where he died.
Speaker 1: And all right, so and his.
Speaker 3: Name happened to be fish and the police mocked that story that that his round had given him when they called it a fishy story. So well, all the way around he was.
Speaker 1: He was railroad. Yeah, clearly, clearly Diehartols were out of time. It's fascinating what you've done here. And of course, obviously the extent of the wrongdoing against the defendant, who ultimately paid the ultimate price. They executed him, and apparently while he was waiting execution, they offered him lean seeing he turned it down because I'm not going to confess to a crime I didn't do. So it sounds like getting nail on his on the head here, don Heindrich Toltzman I appreciate you doing the translating and doing the commentary on the book, and I know my listeners is going to want to get it, which they can do. Got a fifty five krs dot com where Joe's got a link to the book on the page. Don It's always great talking with you, my friend. Keep up the great work. I'll look forward to having you back on. We have other German things to talk about. Seven fifty one. Right now, we'll catch yourselves a crime stopper, bad guy of the week here in a moment. Just don't go away. First, I want to mention foreign exchange. We can get your car fixed for less money. That's the point of foreign exchange. You get your car fixed, you get a full warranty on parts and service, an ACE mechanical work on, an as certified Master technician working on your car. So either got a traditionally Asian or European manufacturer car or a Tesla. Yes, they fix Tesla's at foreign exchange as well. Get it in there and save a heapload of money. Just that's what it's all about. And repairs are getting really expensive. You haven't noticed. In fact, my son's got his car in there right as I speak. Tylersville location is where that car is sitting right now. To take the Tylersville Likes It Office seventy five, go east just two streets and hang it right on Kinglin Online Foreign xform the letter X dot com. Here's the number for west Chester five one three, six four six twenty six. That's six four four twenty six twenty six fifty five k rc
Speaker 2: Man the summer