Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk. Like back Tamn catsrever Ryan.
Speaker 2: What a performance for the Dodger rookie right hander, just what they needed as the Dodgers get the win in Houston six to two. Hi, everybody, and welcome to postgame Dodger Talk here on AM five to seventy LA's Sports.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us live everywhere.
Speaker 2: On the iHeartRadio app wherever you may be on this Sunday afternoon and join this beautiful warm weather, whether you're at the beach, by the pool, by the lake, driving around, just running errands, whatever you're doing, Thanks for being a part of your Sunday afternoon. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. I got one line open for you Dodger fans if you want to grab it right now. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the Dodgers get the win in Houston, and I think it's one of those exhale moments with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: You needed to get this win.
Speaker 2: To avoid getting swept in Houston, to have that taste going into your mouth into Tuesday's matchup against the San Diego Padres. And I think for a couple of reasons. One, yeah, you got a day off tomorrow, and the last thing you want is just lingering over your head that you got swept in Houston. The sky is falling. It's the end of the world. We can't win on the road. We're struggling away from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Two, you have the trade deadline. That's Tuesday at three o'clock Pacific.
Speaker 2: So the next time the Dodgers play a game, there could be some moves made or moves not made in that Dodgers clubhouse. Guys could be coming, could be going, We just don't know. Over the course of the next forty eight hours away from this trade deadline, with this Dodgers team could look like the final two months of this regular season, and come the postseason could look drastically different. Could be some additions, could be no additions to this Dodgers team. So that's something also lingering the trade deadline between the now and the next time the Dodgers play. And I think for guys like River Ryan, this Dodgers bullpen. They needed to get some positivity and get something good on paper moving into their next start, into their next game, and certainly this Dodgers' bullpen has something now to build on, especially Joe Kelly and Brent Honeywell eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. For River Ryan, it was exactly what he needed to do. Get a second start in the big leagues, away from Dodgers Stadium, against a good offense in the Houston Astros, against a team that plays in a small band box, if you will, that is minute made park, with the short left field high wall, the short right field foul poll down the line, it's a.
Speaker 3: Tough place to pitch.
Speaker 2: Certainly, there's some gaps in left center and right center field that are open and the ball plays there, but down the lines to left and right field, the ball gets out quickly because of the short porches there on both sides, and it could be tough for starting pitchers. River Ryan came out and had a leadoff walk and then walk the second batter of the game. Alex Bregman and I thought, probably like in many of you Dodger fans, just like I felt with Clayton Kershaw on the mound the last time I did Dodger Talk with you on Thursday? Uh oh, what's gonna happen? Are the wheels gonna fall off? Is this gonna be a bullpen game? Are we gonna see River Ryan implode on the mound in his second start? Just like with Clayton Kershaw got into some trouble in the third inning on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, how is he gonna respond?
Speaker 2: How is he gonna go out there and navigate himself through a tough situation against the San Francisco Giants? Now today, first and second nobody out back to back walks in the first inning to al Tuo Vey and Bregman. He buckles down Jordan Alvarez flies out to left for the first out of the first inning, and then get to youan air Diaz to ground out on a six four to three double play. Right before that, Rick Monday said on the broadcast here man, a double play ball would make everything feel a lot better for River Ryan to get out of this inning.
Speaker 3: And exactly what he did.
Speaker 2: He had a sinker ball down in the strike zone and he gets Diaz to ground out to a met it short and start a six ' four to three double play inning over and he gets out of what was a leadoff walk, and then a'll walk to the second battery he faced in Bregman, and he felt really good about River Ryan at that point. Comes back out in the second, strikes out the first two batters he faces, comes back in the third, a lead off walk, gets around that with a couple of strikeouts in a flyout. Anytime he faced adversity, he was able to get out of it. And there's a theme here that I'm getting to. First inning, first and second, nobody out, gets out of it. Third inning, lead off walk, gets out of it, fifth inning, leadoff double, and he was able to get around the Singleton double off the wall in center field by getting a ground ball out and then a.
Speaker 3: Runner at third in a one nothing game. This was huge.
Speaker 2: Singleton leads off the fifth inning, Dodgers has just scored to take a lead one nothing. Singleton doubles off the wall in center tye and run at second base, moves over to third on the ground ball out, and what does River Ryan do.
Speaker 3: It was impressive. Carrottini strikes out.
Speaker 2: Then the next batter two outs, he strikes out and gets out of the jam no runs for the Astros. They strand the tye and runner at third with one out because River Ryan got back to back punch outs to end the fifth inning, got out of his own messes in the first, third and fifth inning. In the sixth inning, a leadoff double by All two V. Bregman flies out to center. Alvarez flies out to center on a one to two pitch.
Speaker 3: All two Vs.
Speaker 2: Tranded at second because of fly ball outs back to back from Bregman and an Alvarez and two great catches and throws back to third by ALBN. You can't underscore that, holding the runner at second base not allowing him to advance on deep fly balls there to center field.
Speaker 3: Great job by James Allman.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday addressed it on the broadcast and said he did a great job getting behind the ball, getting this momentum forward and throwing the ball perfectly the third base and not allowing All two bay to tag up and get the third in scoring position. So two outs, runners still at second base, and that's when Dave Roberts elects to pull River Ryan.
Speaker 3: All two Vas.
Speaker 2: Stranded at second, back to back flyouts, and you're facing the cleanup hitter. Diz and Dave Roberts comes out of the dugout, and I'll be honest with you, I was surprised what happened yesterday with Justin Robleski, And after the game, Dave Roberts talked about that's when the momentum changed, and you kind of heard a little bit of disappointment, I guess in his voice last night. He comes back out today, sitting on ninety one pitches, was River Ryan deepest he had gotten this season, and he pulls him. He pulls him in favor of the left hander Alex Vessia. Now the numbers are what the numbers are, so to speak. And I know I'm getting tweeted. Look at the reverse numbers for Diez. He actually does better against right handers that he does left handers.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: But right there in the moment with this kid pitching his tail off, and I know you don't want to be a prisoner of the moment, and certainly I hate that in a game, in a series, over the course of one sixty two you can get caught up in that and you have to try not to. But at that moment, today, second Big League outing a guy who doesn't have a lot of innings underneath his belt because you were slow ramping him up here in twenty twenty four out of spring training to be on ninety one pitches to still hit what ninety seven what was his last pitch? Four seam fastball ninety six mile an hours to Alvarez right before he got him to fly out on a slider. So he's still pumping ninety five ninety six, ninety six, ninety six, ninety one on the slider. He's still got the velocity, and I get it's the third time around the lineup. But after he gets the two three hitters to fly out, all to of a sitting at second base, you've got a three to nothing lead, and in my opinion, I'm letting the kid work out of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Diz comes up and.
Speaker 2: River Ryan's still out there, and Ryan serves up a two run home run. Okay, it's still a three to two Dodgers lead, and you let the kid got there and try to get himself out of that final jam. You let him try to earn his way out of it and get through six innings. What happens if he gets a fly ball final out, It's three to nothing and the kids walking off the man to a standing ovation from the Dodgers fans, and he's getting a lot of slaps on the rear end from his Dodger teammates and coaching staff in that dugout for what he did to battle out there in that sixth inning.
Speaker 3: Instead, you go to Vessio.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're bringing your Dodgers' bullpen, but a bullpen that's been taxed, a bullpen that's faced a.
Speaker 3: Lot this season. The numbers don't lie.
Speaker 2: Dodgers bullpen fourth in Major League Baseball in highest usage this season, fourth in all the big leagues, while the starting pitchers for the Dodgers twenty fifth in the major leagues and innings pitched.
Speaker 3: You've asked your bullpen to do a lot.
Speaker 2: I personally want to let River Ryan go out there and finish that final out of the sixth. Okay, maybe that last batter, because if he gets Diaz out, he's through six, then you can go to the bullpen to start a clean seventh inning and a three.
Speaker 3: To nothing lead.
Speaker 2: As it is, you take him out with two outs. Diz hits a two run home one on the very first pitch from Alex Vessio. Oh no, you talk about worst case scenario taking River Ryan out, Dave Roberts having to make that decision, and the first pitch Vessia throws is an eighty nine mile an hour fastball that Diez just turns on and hits a two run home run, still a.
Speaker 3: Three two Dodgers lead.
Speaker 2: But you had that feeling in your stomach like, oh no, this is last night all over again. And Tim never even said, uh, oh, we've seen this before. Yeah, last night, which the Dodgers blew at five nothing lead and a six four lead in the eighth inning, with what happened less than twenty four hours go at minute made park. Looking at where River Ryan was through five and two third innings, sitting on ninety one pitches, I would have let him go one more better. But I'm not the manager, not my decision. I'm not second guessing Dave Roberts at all. I'm just telling you what I would have done if I were the manager. As it turns out to run home run given up by Vessia, Vessia comes back in the seventh as a one to two three inning. Okay, clean Dodgers' offense says, uh huh, We're not gonna keep this a three to two game. We're not gonna keep it a nail bier. They tacked on two in the eighth, one more in the ninth and put it out of reach at a six to two Dodgers' lead. Ninth innam belonged to Brent Honeywell and his turtleneck, which is unbelievable to see Brent Honeywell and the lettuce that's flown out of the back of his hat and the turtleneck. Dude looks like he's straight out of nineteen ninety three. That's what he looks like pitching out on the mound. Now, if he went with the old school stirrup socks that guys like Scott Erickson and those dudes in the early nineties, Maddix Glading, all those guys used to wear to print it on, just striped stirrups that were socks that my boy Rob Dibble used to wear all the time, then he would really be old school nineteen ninety three ninety four. But Brent Honeywell, pitch Well is eighth outing for the Dodgers, comes in and get to one, two, three, ninth inning in a non safe situation. But again addressing the river, Ryan pulled after five and two third innings. I personally would have left him in, let him get one more bet. If he gives up a two run home run like Vessia did, then you go out there, you take the ball from the young man and say, hey, you pitched your butt off. Maybe a hitter too far, but we gave you the opportunity. We let you figure it out. And at this time you're gonna lead with the one run lead at a boy, slap him on the in, let him get an innovation, and you go to Alex Vessi or somebody else in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: But I would have let him figured it out.
Speaker 2: And I don't think you're, as Dave Roberts said, and just my old opinion, I don't think you're saving himself from himself, so to speak, by leaving him out there for ninety one pitches and maybe trying to get to ninety six, ninety seven. Maybe he gets to one hundred pitches and it's too much. I think the situation, he wasn't gassed, he wasn't just.
Speaker 3: Dripping in sweat.
Speaker 2: You're looking at him, going, man, this guy is laboring from batter to batter and they're just tattooing him. He's getting lucky, this ball staying in the ballpark. Oh, somebody goes save himself, get him out of there. No, no, no, You felt like he was still hitting ninety six ninety seven and could have gone batter to batter continually there in the sixth And he even said it afterwards, he begged Dave Roberts to stay in the game. But you know he respects the decision of the manager. They take the ball from him. Alex Vessi gives Hip the two run home run. As it turns out, Yeah, it's to earn run there, River Ryan. You hate to see it after the way he pitched, but he still gets the win and the Dodgers get the win.
Speaker 3: And on top of all this, the.
Speaker 2: Padres lost, so that means the Dodgers pick up a game on the San Diego Padres. Now six and a half games up in the Division eight six seven, two five seventy. Let's get some phone calls we will hear from Joe Kelly coming up in just a little bit. Joe Kelly was lipping off during this series from the dugout at the Houston Astros and got into the game today pitching in the eighth inning and was pretty pumped up to be out there on the mound. And afterwards David Veassi had a chance to catch up with Joe Kelly because we remember all remember the powdy face? Right, what was that twenty twenty the powdy face. It's all famous now with Joe Kelly, the powdy face towards the Houston Astros dugout even though he wasn't a member of the twenty seventeen Dodgers.
Speaker 3: He's with the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 2: In still he's allowed to make the powdy face, and he did in twenty twenty, and he doesn't like the Houston Astros. And we'll hear from Joe Kelly. Come up a little bit. Let's go out to the phones. Let's go too. Steven Lahabra is gonna start things off here on the Sunday afternoon after the Dodgers get the win.
Speaker 3: Steve I doing, I'm doing all right, Tim.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know, why would the Dodgers ever consider trading a River Ryan for some veteran established pitcher. I mean, he's not making a lot of money. The guy can obviously pitch, so you know, throw these young guys out there, and if they can pitch, keep them. Why would you even think about trading these guys. I would never trade a River Ryan.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think. I don't think River Ryan. This is my opinion, Steve, I appreciate it. I don't think River Ryan is a guy that's going to be dealt at the deadline. That's just my hope, certainly. Now I'll get into it in a few minutes. The trade deadline is a seller's market right now. And to see what the Padres had to do to get some bullpen help today, to see what the Angels got back in trading Estevez, their closer, who's really good by the way, to the Philadelphia Affilies to bulshit, they're a bullpen. They got two top minor league pitchers who many consider are going to be pitching in the major leagues here in the next year or two real quick. The Padres today acquired Jason Adam from the Tampa Bay Rays. He's a thirty two year old reliever who's got a sub three ERRA, fifty strikeouts and forty seven appearances. He's top ten in the American League and holds appearances and has held opponents to a one sixty four batting average.
Speaker 3: He's had a really good year. Jason Adam.
Speaker 2: Jason Adam, who's been with Kansas City, Toronto, the Cubs, and with the Rays the last two years. If I lined up Jason Adam and told you to pick him out of a lineup, you have no idea who he was. Probably still don't know who Jason Adam is. But he's one of the better high leverage relievers in baseball here in twenty twenty four in Tampa. Now he's going to the Padres. The Padres had to give up three of their top twelve minor league prospers, and this is a minor league system they've had to replenish in the last two years because of trades. They give up Delan LESCo, who's the right hander they like.
Speaker 3: A lot, JD.
Speaker 2: Gonzalez, a catcher, and Homer Bush junior, an outfielder who they drafted at at GCU last couple of years. Three of their top top of their top twelve prospects they had to give.
Speaker 3: Up to get Jason Adam.
Speaker 2: That's just an example of what the market is for Jason Adam to be a part of your bullpen. What do you think of Garrett Crochet is going to cost somebody to go out and get what do you think of Blake Snell? Is going to cost for a team to try to go out and get a Trek Scooble. That's why the asking price for these starters is through the roof. In order to get one of these top three starters, you are going to have to literally give up your top prospects, and a lot of.
Speaker 3: Them in order to get them.
Speaker 2: So we'll see if the Dodgers are in the running for any of these top three pitching prospects. I got a couple other names out there that I think are more likely the Dodgers go out and get.
Speaker 3: And it's not settling.
Speaker 2: By any means, but I don't think the asking price is worth what you're gonna get in a starting pitcher back the rest of the season. And I got more on that coming up eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. It's going to Eric in Hollywood is next up here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Eric?
Speaker 5: No dirt day shod Yo kids. Alman is back man. I like him, man, I'm glad he hit that home run today. Man, I wish he got some more at bats. I wish he's got a little more heater in that or tay Man Baseball is baseball's top river ryot Is pitching. Man, I love this guy, bro, What a find, What a find by this guy? Be what that naked is what we trained this guy for. Talk so that this guy's fantastic. Uh Oh, I gotta give some I've gotta give a lot of dirt to the Astros. I'm a big time dodgerphant. I know it's been seven years, and kickt Hrdad. They said it. He posted. He's all like whatever, it's been seven years. But hey, man, I still hate these guys, bro, the trash throws, the asterisks, you know, whatever you want to call them. I hate these guys. I will always hate these guys. Cavar Bi show, Craig b Shoe like, that's okay, that's the only love I'll give him. But uh, I hate I hate the asterisks. I hate a man. But uh ah. Gotta give a shout out to LUs Yeah, Lucks just turning things around.
Speaker 2: Man, Luxy Austin Barnes is turning things around. Appreciate the phone call eight six ninety seventy Andy and Lake Elsinore is next up here on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers defeat the Astros six to two.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Andy?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 7: Tim?
Speaker 8: How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 9: I was calling just I want to talk about, uh, you know, Pa has going back down to the minors or maybe being trade bait. But uh, when Mooki comes back that really like to see the outfield him go to right field and then maybe center field to Oscar and then left field Hayward.
Speaker 7: I think that'd be a better outfield for the playoffs because these guys they're going to be like deer in the headlights in the playoffs. They are both out men and empires. I don't expect anything out of them in the playoffs. And then the other thing is also I.
Speaker 8: Want to talk about why is Dave Roberts not, you know, just having more faith in his pictures and getting them out just one not too soon.
Speaker 2: I don't get it all right, Edie appreciate it. I sort of explained it just a few minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: He certainly said the momentum changed with Justin Robleski left Today, Certainly the momentum changed when you took out River Ryan. The Dodgers, fortunately offensively, were able to pick it up and get some big insurance runs to give it him a six to two lead going into the bottom half of the ninth inna Yenair Diaz. His numbers, it gets pointed out to several people on me on Twitter against left handers, hitting two sixty three with two home runs and a six ninety one OPS. Against right handers this year, hitting nearly three hundred with an OPS of eight hundred and six home runs with forty one RBI. So the numbers do show that he hits better against right handers. So that's why they went to the left hander. Alex Fatia. Okay, I get the numbers. They're right in front of me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it. I could go onto a computer and look up any number. I understand.
Speaker 2: But in the moment, the way he had just gotten back to back outs to the two and three hitters Alvarez and Bregman and al two by still stuck at second base, and you're still pumping ninety five, and he's got the nasty curveball and slider working me personally, in the moment, I see ninety one pitches.
Speaker 3: Yes, I see a.
Speaker 2: Young man out there who I would have let go to one more batter.
Speaker 3: And again I said it earlier. If Diez hits a two.
Speaker 2: Run home run off of you, like he did Vessia, then then you go get river right, and you still have a three to two lead to work with when he leaves the game. If he hits a base hit and scores all two b it's a three to one game. You know what, You go out there, you take the ball from him, and you still got a two run lead. I would have just let him go one more batter.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: And it's easy to say now because Vessia came in the first pitch, he gives up a two run home one. But at the time I was saying leave him in, leave him in one more, one more I would have left him out there. And with all that being said, your bullpens tax, why not allow him to get one more out? So your bullpending come in and only have to get nine outs and get a clean seventh inning to start with. So a lot of Kulda would have should I understand that's part of second guessing, that's part of the game of professional sports.
Speaker 3: The moves that are made or are not made, the.
Speaker 2: Decisions that backfire you, the decisions that you push the right buttons. We talk about it, win or lose, good and bad. We break it down. But that's the beauty of a postgame show. You get to talk about what just happened in the moment, during the course of a night game and it backfired. It for the moment against Alex Vessi and bringing him in with the two run home run that he gave up with the Dodgers offense helped him out and put up two in the eighth, one more in the ninth, and the Dodgers get a sixty to two. Well, we'll take a quick time out. We'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls. We also here from Joe Kelly. David Veass had a chance to catch up with them and ask him what he thought about the booze from all the fans at mint Mide Park.
Speaker 3: You're gonna love his reaction.
Speaker 2: Dodgers win in Houston, they defeat the ash Shows six to two. We're Dodger Talk coming up right here on AM five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy La Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: All love those things.
Speaker 1: Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: We're streaming online. We stream every game too. Come find them.
Speaker 1: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports going on.
Speaker 9: Nobody out and there's leads at the first pitch, swung on well, hit to right, going back onto.
Speaker 7: This low for fit.
Speaker 3: He's at the track, He's at the wall. He looks up. It's gone a home run.
Speaker 10: Gavin Lucks a two run shot to right field and the Dodgers lait at three to nothing.
Speaker 2: Gavin Lutz with the two run home run that gave the Dodgers a three to zhing lead in the top half of the sixth thitning Boy, was that a big home run for what would happened in the bottom half of the sixth thinning? Won a second half of the season for Gavin Lux, hitting over four hundred in his last fourteen games. Nationally Player of the Week for the three games against the Boston Red Sox last weekend. Gavin Lucks extra base hits is up in the second half of the season, home runs now up in the second half.
Speaker 3: Of the season.
Speaker 2: He is a hitting machine now. Gavin lucks whether he's hitting third or he's hitting ninth. Gavin Lux Today goes one for two with the two run home run, but on base four times as he was walked three times in this game. Today is now hitting two thirty eight on the season with a two ninety seven on base percentage. The Daniels Jewelers the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamonds. By any Daniel's Jeweler's location and say home run for your free team bracelet at a fifty dollars gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream. We'll get into the trade talk, trade talk, my numbing trade talk, and some rumors that are out there coming up in just a couple of minutes. We got to Jerry in Thousand Oaks, though it is next up here on postgame Dodge Talk after the Dodgers win at sixty two.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Jerry?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I just want to talk about the lack of quality Adva's as much as I was thrilled to James Upmann hit that home run. He just looks so tight. And the most frustrating at that was when there was second and third. I mean, was there no outs or one out and he was up there and just there's no situational hitting. It's just swinging from the heels. And I don't know what goes on down mind leagues, what kind of adjustments they try to make with these guys when they go down, But I just don't see it. I mean, as opposed to Cap and muck has just taken off. But you know, James just looks so tight. You could just tell by his facial expressions. I wish he would shorten up some swings or hit situationally, and just like to know your opinion.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 2: I think you're sitting better swings out of him and the guys in the bottom half of the lineup. Hopefully Cavin Biehio can build on what he's done in the last two days now, maybe going home to Houston or his dad's a Hall of Fame catcher slash second basement slash outfielder. Maybe this is jump starting him. Maybe offensively he can get it going now because he hit the ball well last night. Today he hit the ball well. Also at the bottom of the lineup. Gavin Lux now batting third, has played really well, defense not an issue anymore, and starting to heat things up offensively at the plate. I hope this is a sign for this Dodger team top to bottom that things are going to turn around. Austin Barnes extends is hitting streak to twelve straight games. Now I mentioned it earlier. James Outman today had the home run. It was his first hit of any kind in his last nine games. He was oh for his last nine games. This was game twelve for him since being recalled. He had hits in his first two games back and then he was over the next nine. And he comes back today and gets to a home run, a huge home run for the Dodgers in the fifth inning to jumpstart this offense and get him on the board and give River Ryan a one to nothing lead. So hopefully this is the start of something. And I keep thinking a six and a half game lead. With everything that's gone wrong injury wise for this Dodgers team, certainly things could be a lot worse. This lead could be down to two and a half. Heck, this could be a Dodgers team that wasn't in first place after building a big lead because of injuries to Mookie Betts and Max Muncie and a starting rotation at one point had four to fifths of their starting rotation from the beginning of the season on the injured list or on minor league rehab assignments, and White all that this is a team that's slowly starting to get players back from injury, and let's give you a quick injury update. As far as Dave Roberts before the game today, talking in particular about three players, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, we'll throw a bullpen Dodger fans on Friday, so that is positive news. He's not eligible to come off to sixty DAYIL until mid August, but as we flip the calendar to beginning of August here midweek, he gets two weeks to ramp up and a couple of minor league rehabit signments after that, so we could see most likely Yoshinoba Yamamoto, if I'm doing the math correctly, if he throws a bullpen on Friday, probably another bullpen after that, and then a couple of minor league rehabit signments to get his innings and his stamina built up with the arm again, You're probably looking at the end of August as far as a return for Yoshinoba Yamamoto if everything continues to trend in the right direction. Mookie Betts, Dave Roberts said pregame today that he's doing t work, he's doing soft toss, he's swinging a bat, he's fielding ground balls, and he'll start taking VP here soon. And according to Dave Roberts his words, his return is sooner rather than later, so that's positive. You're looking at maybe the back third of August for a return for Mookie Bets, and it's no need to have him rush back. There's no need for him to come back, soonerer just to get him back on the lineup just because you need him. They'll be okay without him. Certainly you want him at the top of the lineup. Things are great when he's there, and defensively things are better when he's there. But there's no need to rush Mookie Bets back. Let's make sure that risk heals right and he is good to go for the stretch run of September and October, and finally an update on Max Munsey. There is no positive news for Max and Munsey right now, and that'llblaque. Dave Roberts word was stagnant. Tests have all come back clean as far as the oblique, but he still says he doesn't feel right, and he says he feels discomfort still in the area. Now ever, gonna feel one hundred percent right during the course of a season, You've got, you know, things that are always sore. It's one hundred and sixty two games, you get hurt. You know, you don't necessarily feel right till the offseason.
Speaker 3: It's all part of sports. I get it.
Speaker 2: If the tests all come back clean, what's wrong then with Max Munsey?
Speaker 3: Is it a mental game now?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 2: He doesn't feel one hundred percent And until he feels one hundred percent, he's not coming back well. To me, this is the biggest question mark going into the trade deadline. And we'll get to your phone calls and one money here. If Max Munsey is quote unquote stagnant, the Dodgers need to figure out third base. That is a bat in a position they need to figure out now. Is that Key k Hernandez and Cavin b Show going back and forth, depending on if there's a lefty or righty on the mound maybe or they need to go out and make a move to get somebody there at third base down the stretch.
Speaker 3: And if that's the.
Speaker 2: Case, that takes away your assets to go get a starting pitcher and a reliever and maybe an outfielder to help you. This is maybe now a position and a spot you weren't necessarily thinking you needed to better via trade because you thought.
Speaker 3: Max Munsey was coming back.
Speaker 2: But if he's not gonna be Max Munsey and be able to contribute to this team, and quite frankly, now as we get ready to flip the calendar to August, he's got two months, he's missed a lot of time, and he still feels discomfort and he's not good enough to come back. You may have to turn the page on him coming back and being the starting third baseman now here in twenty twenty four. If that's the case, again, that takes away trade assets prospects that if you want to go get somebody to fill that position or try to fill it like a Vlad Guerrero Junior to play third base, then that takes away some of those prospects that you would have had to go get a front end starting pitcher, maybe from the Tigers or the White Sox or the Giants or somewhere else, or a back end bullpen help from the Tampa Bay Rays or the Marlins.
Speaker 3: So this greatly.
Speaker 2: Affects the Dodgers' decision at the trade deadline. And if you're Max Muncy, you either got to come back if you're being cleared, or your test all come back clean. As Dave Roberts said, test came back clean. That to me means you're.
Speaker 3: Good to go.
Speaker 2: You gotta start going out there and playing through whatever swords you have if you can. If not, they need to figure out their base, and they've got forty eight now forty seven and a half hours to do it before the trade deadline. That doesn't leave them a lot of room. And at that point, who are you gonna go out and get that's gonna be an upgrade at third base over a combination of Kik Bigo At third you only have so many prospects, and it's a seller's market already, and if you're gonna make a big time move, it's gonna cost you. But now you've got to think about third base.
Speaker 3: This is tough. This is certainly not a situation.
Speaker 2: I think Brandon Gomes and Andrew Freeman wanted to be in at the trade deadline having to fill and void at third base now rather than just starting pitching and maybe an outfield spot and a bat off the bench, This to me, could be a spot they have to fill and what third bases are out there that can come in and fill that. In me, it's gonna be an interesting forty seven and a half hours now for this Dodgers front office. And keep in mind the relievers like Tanner Scott of the Marlins. If Jason Adams is gonna cost you three of your top twelve minor league prospects for Jason Adam, what is Kyle Fagan of the Nationals gonna cost you? Who's under control now for another year and one of the best relievers out there, Tanner Scott, one of the best land left handed closers out there from the Marlins. You're gonna have to give him up more than just three of your top twelve prospects for one of those guys. A name that could be intriguing is Dylan Floro. Yes, that same Dylan Floro who's been with the Dodgers, off and on again for the last five years. He's with the Washington Nationals right now over fifty appearances a one ninety four era. He's gonna be a free agent at the end of the year, so he's gonna walk to me. The asking price is still gonna be high because of the seller's market, but it won't be as high for a Tanner Scott or Kyle Finigan. If you want Dylan Floro, that is a possibility. That's a name they can keep an eye on. As far as the starter, Jack Flaherty, why not kick the tires with the Detroit Tigers and instead of going and asking for screwball, say no, no, no, we would rather have Jack Flarerity. Now for Jack Flarity, this is the guy who is gonna be demanded by a lot of teams as well, and as the front runner for the Al comeback player the year he's a free agent at the end of the season. He bet on himself signing with the Tigers almost sign with the Dodgers. I don't think you'd have to give up everything like a scerball or a crochet, but certainly it's gonna cost you to go out and get Jack Flaherty as a rental player or possibly a guy who signed at the end of the year, and he comes back home to southern California, a Burbank kid that went to Harvard Westlake High School in Studio City. So there are other options and really good options, but again it's still gonna cost the Dodgers. I just shake my head if Jason Adam takes three of your top twelve prospects in your minor leagues for the Padres to acquire him, a thirty two year old who's having a good, really good season in Tampa. What's the asking price and what's gonna be the demand for guys who are proven relievers and guys who are top of the rotation starters. It's gonna be a high asking price. Ken and New for your next up here on Dodge Talky, how you doing, I.
Speaker 10: Hate Kim A couple of quick things. You have a guy talking about out man. I don't care if the guy hits one twenty. By far, he's the best dealers you have and the most important place in the outfield. You're comparing the Pajas. It's not even close. He's worth at least two runs saved almost every game. Let him alone, let him stay there. Defense is extremely important. Number Two. The last two days and I've been pretty upset prior, but for the last two days right now, the two best storting pitchers you have are the two rookies that pitch those last two games. That is massively important because they have been pitching really well. He he just needs to back off and realize you don't need to pull him that quick, especially when we got some problems to the pin. That's important. Yeah, going to San Diego, those two guys don't be able to pitch, but still those two eyes were great and leave out on alone, serpeople, is extremely important.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Can appreciate the phone call today. We saw Joe Kelly get into the game. It pitched the eighth inning. Joe Kelly, famous for the Poudy face. In twenty twenty, over the weekend, was it last night, Colin when Valdez was or was it two nights ago and two nights to go? On Friday night, Little Chippy from Joe Kelly in his words towards Frambury, Valdez out there in the mound on Friday night and had some things to say.
Speaker 3: It was last night. It was last night against Blanco. You're right, but Joe Kelly's never won to hide.
Speaker 2: His feelings or his emotions and doesn't like the Houston Astros and made the Poudy face in twenty twenty that has been talked about and put up on murals around southern California. Well, today he got there and got to pitch in the eighth inning and pitched the scoreless eighth inning, and afterwards, Dave Roberts or excuse me, our David Vessa, speaking of days are out, David Vassa had a chance to ask Joe Kelly, what do you thought about the booze from the Astros crowd?
Speaker 7: Did you hear the booze?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 11: I was so focused, it's crazy. They weren't loud enough. Honestly, New York. When I forgot that one fight with Tossin, it was loud, super loud Sunday church crowd. So they're kind of like, probably too many kids here. It wasn't active.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Joe Kelly, so he's been booed louder in New York and this was nothing. The booze that he got today. Well, partially because the Dodgers at that point were up five to two against the Astros. It was a Sunday day game, you know, the crowd a little different than a Friday night or Saturday night, but nonetheless very excited to see Joe Kelly out there fired up. I love his passion, his enthusiasm. I even love the chippiness that he brings with the talking from the Doug guy. I'm okay with that. I have no problem as long as against the Houston Astros. So queeze on one more call call Let's treason one. Let's go to Don and City of Industry is our final call here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: How you doing, Don, Jim Kates, how the heck are you? Man? I got so pumped just listening to you advocate for River Ryan Man again as you say your passion, the emotion. I thought you were a Stewart and mister Smith comes to Washington say you think of.
Speaker 5: Lick but I'm not Lick.
Speaker 3: Do we lose you Don? Are you filibusting?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 12: I'm okay, there you go. I'm still go ahead. No, it's still no. Yeah, No, it was just great. I loved your take. You know, I love what some of these young pitchers are doing, you know, coming up and man, just just keep advocating.
Speaker 2: All right, don appreciate it. A little little issue to your phone there, but we heard a majority of what you had to say.
Speaker 3: We appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fired up for River Ryan and would have loved to a scene, like I said a couple of times already, would love to a scene. We have the chance to go out there and face Diaz with two outs and all two bastanding of the second base, try to get out of that inning without any damage done. If he gives up an RBI single, he gives up the home run, it's still a three to one game. It's still a three to two game because the Dodgers were up three nothing at that point. And then you go out and you pull them and you go to Alex Vesia and the Dodgers bullpit as it is, they take him out.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 2: First pitch from Alex Vesia a two run home run. The Dodgers offense so prevailed with two runs in the eighth and a run the ninth. With that being said, the Dodgers get to win sixty two over the Houston Astros. Many thanks to Colin Ye, thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Thank you for podcasting as well.
Speaker 3: We appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I'll be back with Off Night Dodger Talk tomorrow night Monday from seven o'clock Pacific until eight o'clock. We'll have the very latest on the MLB trade deadline, which is Tuesday at three o'clock Pacific. Will the Dodgers make a move? Will they not make a move. We'll find out. It is definitely a seller's market. Guys are starting to come off the board, move around at a high price. Will the Dodgers be buyers? We will see their winners today, that's for sure. Six to two over the Astros now sixty three and forty four, and they pick up a game on the Padres now six and a half games up in the division.
Speaker 3: Off tomorrow with Off Night Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Dodgers back at it on Tuesday, six forty First bitch wrong because you know, Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 3: Gets all started at five to thirty.
Speaker 2: Have a great safe the rest of your Sunday afternoon, So everybody