Speaker 1: We're Tom Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest Telekitt's Welcome back to another edition of the Pso I'm the Tea and you're Tee Low Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the Low and your t less my love husband, I do how.
Speaker 2: We Hunter is here too. It's so funny. Every time.
Speaker 1: Big twenty pounds boy cat, Yes, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Every time we set up the equipment, he jumps on the table and he wants to befart of it. So it's really cute.
Speaker 1: Sticks his butt right now, you and everyone. Every once in a while someone will ask why we never hear him. Tab is not now. He's a silent gentleman.
Speaker 2: He's very gentle.
Speaker 1: He's not a mewing cat. He mind's a little bit every now and then, but he's not someone who's going to be out into the mics thet all right. So for this week's podcast, we are going to unpack the season three finale of House of the Dragon, and that'll be the back half of this podcast. But for the front half of this podcast, we thought we'd talk about a movie discussion that's been happening all week long and it gets into larger discussions about the culture and about generational differences and what we want out of our entertainment. And I am talking about the film One Night Only starring Callum Turner and Monica Barbara. Is it Barbara or barbaro?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: You know, good question. I've never heard her name set out loud.
Speaker 3: Probably Barbara, Yeah, yeah, don't know, Okay, So I one not only is the film that most people are referring to as the sex spurge film, which the premise of the film is that it's a it's a sex comedy, it's a roman.
Speaker 1: Actually it's a romantic comedy because there's not surprisingly, not that much sex in it. And it's about two people who meet on the one night of the year where unmarried people are legally allowed to have sex. Yes, that's as dumb as it sounds.
Speaker 2: But it's KELLM. Turner.
Speaker 1: The whole film hinges on this highly unlikely idea, and it goes to certain lengths to explain the mechanism behind it, like they people are fitted with sensors to make sure that they're not you know, they're dopamines. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: It's weird. It's just a weird setup. But yeah, and there's not much story there. That's pretty much the story. But there's KELLM. Turner, so the reason to watch it. But the funny thing is that any discussion you see about the movie is about sex, is about these people having sex. And then the director, I forget his names, gave bilg luck there you go, Will Cluck gave an interview to Varietyvariety, Primary Variety and so talking about the movie and all that, and then the interviewer said, recent studies have found that gen Z and Jen Alpha don't want to see sex on screen.
Speaker 1: So can I just jump in here right right there? No, No, I just I want to add something here, which is that the film has gotten very poor reviews. I initially had heard that it was getting good reviews, but actually they were getting good Callum Turner and Monta Barbara were getting good reviews. But most of the reviews have trashed. I think it's something like twenty seven percent on No, maybe it's not that low. I think I'm getting that confused with The Last House, which I watched last night. But I know the critics have drafted and one of the things that have been you know, I'm gonna spoil this about the film spoiler. They never have sex in the film, the two lead characters. I mean they do. They wait a year until the next night where they are legally allowed to have sex. And I'm not gonna get into criticisms of film that I haven't seen, but there are there was a pretty uniform set of critiques against this film, one of which is that the characters don't actually have The lead characters don't actually have sex, and the film doesn't make a very good argument as to why that would be. It doesn't explain the world that any of these people live in very well. And I think there was there's been a lot of backlash, and I think the director Will Gluck has been unprepared for this. He seems a little defensive in some of these interviews, and he says, you know, the stars are are being forced to explain this too much, and blah blah blah blah, and people just need to watch but you know, you're not giving us a reason to watch it. This story makes very very little sense right now. The reason this has exploded as a topic and in the discourse this week is that one of the things Will Gluck said was that, as you noted, gen Zi and jen A. Audiences typically do not want to have sex scene, do not want to watch sex scenes in a movie theater, in a mainstream film, and he admitted that he had the film actually did have a lot more sex in it. It does not sound like the main characters, I mean, their arc remains the same. But he said there were always people in the background having sex because that was the point of the comedy, is that everyone was just banging in the street because it's the one night that they can do so. And he pulled all of that out because test audiences didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, so he cut out all the sex scenes and nudity and all that. And that's the explanation he gave, which I don't know if the movie is about sex, I mean there should be sex in the movie, that's my mighty. And this whole thing about gen Z and Jen Alfa not comfortable with, you know, sex scenes and stuff, well, yeah, I explain heated ribery to me.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I can explain that to you. That's not in a movie theater. And he actually made that point. Well Gluck made that point, and several other people have made that point as well. It's the public aspect of it. People now see sex as something that you watch at home, or you watch on your phone, or you know that sort of thing. It's not so much. And because the rhetoric goes in one direction and everybody starts saying the same thing over and over and so all week long it's ben gen Z and Jen Alpha are a bunch of prudes and prime example is something like heated rivalry, not just that only fans. You know, like, there's plenty of sexual material out there, and young people are accessing it at the same level that previous generations were. What they don't want is sex in a mainstream film.
Speaker 2: So we're back to sex is dirty, and it should be done in your price. It should be.
Speaker 1: Done in the privacy of your home. Great, wonderful whatever. I'm not here. I'm not sitting here to tresh I mean whatever. I think it's an interesting development. And when you talk and you know, it should be clear that when you talk about gen Z and Jena Alpha, you were talking about the only generation who literally grew up with pornography. And by that, I mean it was accessible to them when they were children. And we can all pretend that that wasn't the case with the Internet but pretty much anyone under the age of thirty can tell you when they first saw full blown pornography, and it's a lot younger than you might find acceptable.
Speaker 2: I guess. I guess.
Speaker 1: So we created the world that they're in, and we can't start rolling our eyes and making fun of them because they have different ideas about sex than say Gen X or baby boomers.
Speaker 2: That's that idea that you know, it's accessible, it's easy. I don't see the big deal. That's why I don't want to see it kind of thing. Maybe I don't know. I do think that sometimes sex is necessary movie, or it doesn't have to go on forever. In fact, sometimes I think some sex can go on forever.
Speaker 1: And I do think they're boring. Yeah, And I'm like, all right, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean it is uncomfortable if I'm watching a movie with my mother and somebody start banging somebody, no matter what, gaye straight, forerever, there's always that uncomfortable feeling. I joke about having a bunch of people here to watch something I forget, and there was a lot of texts and I was like, so uncomfortable I think with family members and I'm like, oh, so, how was the driving and I kept like talking while they were having texts, like yo, was it easy to park around here? And because I wasn't coomfortable with them sitting next to me. So I kind of understand. But cutting out something from a movie or TV show because you few blah blah blah, I think that's completely bullshit and that shouldn't be done well.
Speaker 1: I mean, if audiences didn't want it, that's very common. If audiences didn't want it, then do you cut that stuff out? But granted, the film's a flop, so I'm not suggesting that, but I think the film is a flop, not because you cut out these sex scenes, but because it was such a confused idea I feel. I let me just state this. I'm one hundred percent for sex scenes when and you know, I was just about to say when they're warranted. But even that, screw it. If you just want to put hot people together on screen, right and you think you can make something interesting out of that, fine, put a sex scene in the middle of a cop movie or something like that, science fiction movie or anything like that. Not only that, sex is a huge component of everyone's life. Not everyone, some people don't have sex, but it is a huge component of life. Generally speaking, most of it is a big part of our lives. It is a big part of our development. And the sexual act can range from something that's you know, fun and dirty, to something that's very meaningful and emotional and profound, for the two for the number of people involved in it. I'm trying not to be heteronormative here or anything like that, but my point being, if you're telling stories of human existence, then yes, sex scenes need to be part of that. And there's an argument to be made that, well, you know, you don't show people shitting. That's part of human experience and a there are there are movies where people have been shown to actually, there are plenty of movies like Bridesmaids. They're like shitting in the street. But not only that. Sex is not a bodily function. It's like, as I just said, it has tremendous meaning, it has emotion, it has it can be tremendously fun, and it can be demeaning. It can be all of these things. Taking a poop is taking a poop. It's not something that you know, whatever, If a filmmaker has a reason to show it on the screen, fine, But it's not comparable to a sex scene. That's silly.
Speaker 2: I think. I think it's part of it's part of the conversation. It's part of the story most of the time. And I think you should they I think they should show it. If you don't want to see it, then don't see it.
Speaker 1: But I just think it's silly to make a sex comedy a film that is that's it. It's an old school sex comedy and you are afraid to have sex scenes in it. And like I said, test audiences didn't like it. But clearly, with the film flopping, it wasn't a good idea to take those scenes. It probably didn't help the film to take those scenes, right, Because here's the thing. The premise of this film is very stupid and it makes no sense at all. Right, but if there had been a lot of hot sex in it, it would have been a huge hit. Like people would I'm sorry, people would line up to watch Calm Turner, Monica Barbara go for it.
Speaker 2: But if things go that way, then you know it's just gonna be stupid. Okay, So if you don't want to see sex, go see a movie. You want to see a lot of sex, go watch TV. It's just like ridiculous. So we're like, Okay, we have we have a story here that would like to develop, but we can't do it for a movie, So we're gonna have to do a TV show because nobody wants to see sex in the in the movie theater. That's just so ridiculous. I don't buy that. I don't buy those studies. I don't. I don't. I don't know. I don't know if they're actually one hundred per cent ecurate, But I don't know. I you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the the dislike of sex scenes is pretty well documented among gen Z and Jena, So.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is their problem.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing a I'm sorry, I'm not doing it generate if you want to trash people anyway, Yeah, you're annoyed by I think it's a step back, to be honest with you, I just think it's a development. I just think again, we handed them the Internet when they were ten years old. They've been looking at pornography their whole lives. They can which they can get some of the most sexually explicit television shows in the history of television, and they love them. So it's really not about them being prudes. It's simply about them having a preference as to where they want those scenes.
Speaker 2: But there's a much bigger picture here that goes beyond sex. I mean, what I fear is that these people don't want any interact or any public anything at all. Silly, silly, it's not silly. It's a much bigger picture here that the Yeah, I see what's going on out there, So I feel like, yeah, the less outside the better. The more inside your home and on your phone, you know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not doing one of those generational things. So you ahead, No, I'm.
Speaker 2: I think it's beyond sex. I mean, sex is the topic here, but I think it's beyond sex when it comes to things they don't want to do anymore.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a goofy film and a very confused director who did know what he wanted out of it. And I should note that he didn't write the film. And I looked up the guy who did write the film, and I don't want to trash someone's resume, but most of his resume is children's television.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like Poppy dog Pals and monsters at work can up at babies and maybe you maybe you don't graduate from that stuff directly into an adult sex comedy if you cannot handle the premise of it.
Speaker 2: I just few and I'll repeat here. If that direction, we're going, okay. If it's something we see in public with other people, then we can't have sex, and if something we see on your screen at home, then we can have plenty of Second, that's stupid. I don't have a creative speaking creative speaking, I mean, you know, in terms of creating something entertainment, that's stupid. If that's the conversation you're gonna have, we can't have more, say, we can't have sex anymore in a movie theater, that's stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't think. I don't really have an issue with that, especially since most people don't go to movie theaters at all anymore. They watch everything at home. So it's not a distinction that matters. That's my point. It's not a distinction that matters.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If if there was evidence that you know, younger generations are completely prudish about sex and don't want to watch it in any form at all, then you have a social issue that's worth discussing. But as as you said at the top of this discussion, heated rivalry puts all of that to rest. They have healthy attitudes towards sex. They just don't want to sit in a movie theater with strangers and be exposed to it. Oh, I don't have an issue with it. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me, right, it.
Speaker 2: Bothers me creative as a speaking because then you are restrain yourself from creating something.
Speaker 1: No, you're not. You're just making it for television.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then I gain so.
Speaker 1: No, but what's the difference between a you know, an Apple TV movie and a movie.
Speaker 2: Well, things are getting smaller and smaller and the same. But no, But anyway, the lines are blurred when it comes to movie and TV these days. But you're still saying, you know, we can't do this for this form of entertainment anyway, that's my thig.
Speaker 1: I agree or I don't agree, but I agree. I think it's an interesting discussion anyway. I would love to know what all y'all feel about this. If you think this is a disturbing issue, a generational issue, or simply a blip in culture happening right at the moment. And I also want to say that I think some of this, honestly, is very wrapped up in COVID lockdown and all of that. I think our attitudes towards this sort of stuff has changed a lot because of lockdown. But we'll see. All right, let's take a short break and we'll come back and talk about House of the Dragon. Yes, we're back, and then we're going to talk about the I was going to say explosive season finale of House the Dragon, but I really wouldn't say it was explosive. I was a little surprised to see that some people thought it was anti climactic in the manner of last year's or last season's finale, but I don't actually think it was. In fact, there's so much happened that I have to get you know, I had to, you know, put together some those to keep track.
Speaker 2: Of it all. A lot happened. Some characters didn't show up at all. Yeah, Alison got hurt five seconds and the dragon girl I forget her name now, Raina, Yes, they just did show up at all. Anyway, I saw a lot of discussion on line, especially book read. It's obviously about how they expected more in terms of the battle that the battle was kind of like low key right then they were expecting more and a longer battle. They thought it was a little short.
Speaker 1: I don't Yeah, yeah, I don't agree with I mean, I don't know what a longer battle would have done. And I hear this all the time from book fans about well, they cut that battle shorter, they cut that battle out, And it's like, do you understand that long battle scenes are first off, insanely expensive to shoot, which and this show has a budget. They also slow the story down, and not everybody wants to sit through twenty minutes of battle scenes. I think it's a smart idea to keep doing, especially since this whole Dance of the Dragons thing is nothing but battle after battles, skirmish after skirmish all over the place. You've got to condense some of that in order to have like drama, in order to have a real story.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't like violence most of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so every time opposed to that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not opposed, but I personally don't like it. So when there's a battle like that and people are dying left and right and stab like, I usually just wait until it's over. I'm just like, all right, I'm just gonna wait until this is over because I'm just not uncomfortable with that thing. Not that I ask people to not see that in a public a movie theater or something like that, just watch it on TV, but I, yeah, that's just me. But I thought it was okay. The scene was okay. The bad the battle, I thought the battle was okay.
Speaker 1: So the episode opens with Ryaniera having an absolute mountdown because she finds out that Agon, the king who is many people consider the rightful king, Agon, is alive and his dragon is alive. And I thought that was an interesting scene. Emma Darcy was great, well, Emma Darcy has been great all season long, and they have to do something that uh, you know what is his name? Emily Clark could not pull off. And part of that was because of the writing for Denaris and House of the Dragon. But she's doing or I'm sorry they're doing Emma Darcy is doing a slow turn towards madness and h they're making it extremely clear to the audience without being you know, without and that was the problem with the Danaris turn. It was just she went from being kind of tense and to like this snorting super villain overnight and was it always felt weird here. We feel that encroaching sense of targarian madness in her.
Speaker 2: I think it has a lot to do with Emma Dorsey's talents as an actor.
Speaker 1: But I do think the writing's better.
Speaker 2: The writing is better, and people love it. I mean, if you read discussions online, they absolutely love this queen. They think this queen the madness is what they're we waiting for, right, Like they really wanted to see her full blown, you know, crazy, and well they did.
Speaker 1: What I thought was interesting about that opening scene though, was that she I'm sorry, well she We're gonna talk about the character. It's very different. It's very difficult because I'm sort of going back and forth between the character and the actor. They made a very good choice, very smart choice, or a very interesting choice to play her as weepy and nearly hysterical, right, And that is not a great image of Ryani Era. It doesn't actually elevate her as a very strong person or a capable It actually makes her look completely overwhelmed by this job. And as I said, I've been interested all season long in the in the fact that the show and the story comes very clearly down on the idea that she should not be king. She's not capable of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole speech thing. You know, everybody was just looking at her.
Speaker 1: He was great, it was really good. Ranierra demands to go to the sept and she's gonna demand to be anointed by the High Sept and who had already turned her down, and when and he turned her down even more forcefully this time and came out and said that Agon is the rightful king, which is treason to you know, if you were standing there talking to the person who actually does sit on the iron throne, then technically that is treason. And I'll get to the speech in a second, because we need to talk about Sir Allen of Hall, Yes, who has turned well, there are lots of turns this episode, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Again. People were talking about how fast he's changed. Happened, like, you know, Sir Alan's changed.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think that's really well documented. There was so much resentment towards his father. Then his father acknowledged him right and he got asked to sit at the queen's table like he was a bastard. He had no standing whatsoever. And now he's commanding men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and his ambition, you know, like she wants, he wants.
Speaker 1: To want completely disappointed in him, and yeah, he steps over a line and he kills the sept the Sceptin on her command, and that's you've made your choice. And honestly, I don't think his father would be happy with him for that. In fact, I know he wouldn't because his father seems to be pretty much turning against the whole thing, the whole thing. So that's an interesting turn. And then Ryanira comes out and stands in front of this whole out and gives a completely insane, insane Hitler speech. First off, she gives most of it in high Valirian, and I don't think any of those people could speak it, so they're just watching someone babble weirdly up there. Got to say her costume is amazing, Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: I actually posted in the lounge one of the lounges.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I think they talk about with the dragon wings and gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting about that is that rhani Era basically gives away the whole Song of Ice and Fire, the prince who was promised prophecy, all of that which has been a family secret. Nobody knows about it. Granted she did it in high Biliian, so I don't even know if anybody.
Speaker 2: They just looked at her and she's crazy, just.
Speaker 1: Went out there, actually super fucking crazy. What what do you want to talk about? Name a character, just name Helena.
Speaker 2: Helene that that her whole thing is very sad, and she knew what was going to happen. She knew was coming, and you know, she knew she was going to die at some point she saw the whole thing, right U, And she chose to you know, in her life, which it's interesting. And then you see the last scene. The only time we see, you know, Alison is when she see the butterfly and she understands that, you know, she's dead.
Speaker 1: I know there's some butterfly imagery with Helena in the past. I'm not sure if that was delibered or not. I thought that was a little goofy as a way of showing that show. I mean, it was Alison's only scene. And also, where the hell are you? Who are these people you're with? Literally ran out of her with nothing but a dagger, so where are you?
Speaker 2: Well, the uber didn't show up.
Speaker 1: She had to walk well, actually, I do want to say something about that is I think the show is slightly falling into a trap of that house the Dragon fell into in its last couple of seasons, which is people are just bouncing around all of over the place, and it's like as if they have cars or planes. And I get that some of these people are dragon riders, but again, you can't cross a continent on a dragon in like a couple of hours, right, And people are showing up and then disappearing, and it's happening a little too easily, I think. And one of the things I liked about the earliest seasons of Game of Thrones was that when people needed to go somewhere, it took several episodes and you went with them, like you camped with them, you were on the roads with them. And you don't really get that with this show because they've got so much ground to cover, so they have to do it fast. Helene's death was sad. I really don't understand. I don't know if it's a book thing or whatever where she saw the image of the horse and the cart or she saw the horse and the cart that she saw in her dream, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was that?
Speaker 1: Did that have any meaning or is that just her telling her it's time for you to kill yourself. I didn't really get that. I did get all along that the tapestry that we were watching during the opening credits was the thing that she was working on the other point that she was working on, which is interesting and I don't know how much of it we're going to get to see going forward, but apparently it was fairly prophetic. The image of Rhiniera sitting on the throne and it looks like she's surrounded by flames. So that's not good. No, and she saw that, she she did, but the typical Ryania, I think she's probably going to ignore it.
Speaker 2: She ignores a lot of things. She's been ignoring a lot of things lately. I do agon, I thought.
Speaker 1: Before we get into Agon, I do want to say Bayla because she only has a small scene and it's a good one.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: That was a really well. It was good to see her angry. Yes, no one's allowed to get angry with Rhinira, right, but clearly everybody is, and it was good. This is like her stepmother, This is her, Yeah, this is her stepmother and also cousin.
Speaker 2: And also her her whole family, her whole house is it's falling apart.
Speaker 1: And you know, Raniera has not been a good friend, and they have been a good friend to her. So I was really good, I'm sorry, very loyal to her. So yeah, I was really glad to see be able to have that moment and get to get to say that. But again, it was a short vignette that really showed you how far Rania is gone because she grabbed her face rather violently and called her an insolent child, which again that doesn't even sound like the Venia from last season. This is how far she's gone.
Speaker 2: But she's a mad queen.
Speaker 1: Now she's a mad queen, let's see. And I do want to get into agone, but I'm trying to do all these side characters. Misaria, Oh yeah, that was interesting. Yes, who didn't see that? Everyone saw that coming except MISSI do. We don't understand this character, to be honest, if she was some sort of mastermind, I would be like, all right, I understand why we're paying attention to this character, but she doesn't really do anything. What does she do? So I don't understand why we're spending so much time with her, Like I think the Mistress of Whispers is an interesting position. I think if someone's really good at it, wasn't that little Finger in the old wasn't he the Master of Whispers? And I think if someone's good at it, they can be an interesting character. She doesn't appear to be very good at it, So I don't understand why why are we spending so much time with this person who doesn't seem to have much information. She's just constantly bad mouthing Damon to her. I understood why she sent her away even though they slept together at the end of the last episode. It's I mean, that's scene at the beginning with her melting down when she finds out that Eggon is alive. I'm talking about right near her Damon gives her that speech and Valerian where he's just like, it doesn't matter, We're just gonna take it. We're just gonna you know, it's the Targarian speech. Basically, we have the dragons, we have the power, We're going to kill anyone who stands in our way. And she's been spending all season listening to Misaria whisper in her ear that you know, Damon can't be trusted. That the small folks. You need to worry about the small folks. So from a storytelling perspective, I do understand that that Misaria represents, in some ways one more thing that Ranier is turning away from right.
Speaker 2: She doesn't want to hear any of that because it's the truth.
Speaker 1: I just wish Misaria had been had a couple wins under her built, had done something to make us believe that she's she's smart, she's manipulated, whatever.
Speaker 2: I think that's the rush with the show. They have so much to cover. Maybe we should have more seasons like Game of Room to have like five.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I am loving that this is ending after next season. I really am. It's really energized the show, and it I realized that for book fans things are getting cut out left and right. But I also don't think I would have sat through eight seasons of this story. These are mad, crazy, violent people. There isn't a good person in the lot. It's a fascinating story, but I don't need it all drawn out. I don't need more battle scenes and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Guy, I think what I liked in the beginning of this show was how how is it was slow? Paid? Very slow, a lot of conversations, you know, and all that. I like that, but I understand you can't have that forever for six seven seasons. But because these characters are terrible, right, I mean, there's nobody rooting for or or that you like. So maybe that's that's why with Game of Thrones, I mean, you actually liked a bunch of people and you follow them.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting to kind of wonder what's happening with the Valerian family because Bela is on the ounce with Rhanier or who I mean, Rhinier is not putting in a redungeon or anything. She grounded her right like, she couldn't.
Speaker 2: Fly, she couldn't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Alan of Hull is off killing Septans on her behalf, and Corliss tried to negotiate a peace and then got taken Damon's prisoner. I mean, they're heading back to King's landing. But it'll be very interesting. There's you know, there's like four people left in that family or no, and oh there's then there's Raina, who is I guess she is in a dungeon. So that whole family is completely splintered. And actually I feel like they are wild cards, Like, I really don't know where all of this is going to go with that family in the endgame, because she has screwed them over and there are so many competing, you know, perspectives in that family that I feel like it's really volatile, right anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't think she I don't think she cares, you know, Rinier the Queen. She wants power and she doesn't care. And I don't think she's going to listen to anybody anymore except Damon. Yeah anyway, and he's not going to die anytime soon. I wish she did die. We'll see why.
Speaker 1: Don't we take a break and come back, and we'll come We'll cycle through the rest of the cast members. We'll be right back. We're back to talk about my favorite witch, Alice Rivers at Heron Hall. She had a great scene this episode, played by Gil Rank, and I should say where we got to hear Alice rivers whole story story and it turns out she's a noble lady. She's a lady of Parenhall, and in fact, she was the mother of the heir to Aaron Hall who was killed by Dragonfire. And of course that happened centuries ago. Or a century ago and she's a witch. She's a witch and she can't die.
Speaker 2: I thought that was lovely.
Speaker 1: It was a great scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a fantastic actor, and uh and you get to know more about her because you knew nothing.
Speaker 1: You just I also like when these shows. One of the things I didn't like about House of the Dragon was how scared the show was of depicting anything supernatural, even though George R. Or Martin put it all through there. Dragons are supernatural, white walkers are supernatural. You know, the children of the Forest are supernatural. But the show was very you know, circumspect about depicting any any and still to this, I mean, even House of the Dragon, it's not depicting much in the way.
Speaker 2: You meagine you made Game of Thrones in the beginning.
Speaker 1: In the beginning, I was talking about Game of Thrones, and now I'm saying that show never liked shit depicting magic, even though right there's so much supernatural stuff in that world, and Hou's of the Dragon. Similar issue. Although this story is not nearly as supernatural in nature as Game of Thrones. It's because Game of Thrones dealt with the prophecy that dealt with you know, zombies and then encroaching apocalypse and all this other stuff, and House of the Dragon is just about its succession with dragons. It's just a family fighting for the inheritance, so it doesn't have as much of that scope of like it's not using you know, the the Red Priestesses or any of that stuff that was in House of the Dragon that was in Game of Thrones, but it was nice to get this little indication that, yes, there are supernatural things that happen in this life, and she's one of those pople And actually, I like, I like this idea that you know, almost like the Jedi in Star Wars, where it's like people know that those things exist, but when they actually encounter someone who admits to being one hundred years old, like Aiman was a little freaked out by that story, Like, yes, they live in a world with that stuff, but it's not like they're all walking around encountering supernatural stuff all the time. That I mean, the thing with the Children of the Forest in House of the in Game of Thrones was that they were hard to find and almost nobody had ever seen them. So I don't I'm not wishing for some sort of supermagical dungeons and dragons style world. But I do like when this world because, as I've said, you have dragons, they don't exist in the real world, and there is no biological explanation as to why those things breathe fire, so clearly their magic right anyway, So I yes, And Gail's Rankin is a great actress. And what I love about Gail Rankin because she was she used to be on the Orange is the New Black or no, she was in Glow, Actually she was, Yes, she was in Glower. Remember she was an Orange in the Black House. And she always played weird, weird characters, slightly weird. And this is one of the things I like about Alice Rivers is that I think the last season I said she was like this working class witch because you know, the the impulses like to play like Melissandra in you know, The Night is Dark and like these matresses, these sorceresses. You know, there's a certain way of playing that kind of cat. And she is a temptress, Alice Rivers, and there's a certain way of playing that character, like Calypso in the Odyssey and everything, but she doesn't play her that way. She plays her as sort of sarcastic. She's got all these little asides. She gets annoyed with everyone, and she's not particularly alluring. She doesn't try to be because she thinks everyone around her is kind of dumb.
Speaker 2: And she's desperate, you know, like.
Speaker 1: In a there is a certain desperation there, yeah, which I like, which you don't get to see until other people show up. So when Alison showed up last episode, it was very clear she's like, I got to get this pitch out of here. This is not good, this is fucking up my plans.
Speaker 2: Right, And and then the other one shows up.
Speaker 1: Well, then Agon shows up and she's nervous, like you can tell. Well, first off, okay, let's just unpack the scene. Tom Glenn Carney, who plays Agon, has been doing spectacular work all season.
Speaker 2: No idea he could do that.
Speaker 1: He just gets better with each episode. And that's the thing is like, No, the show does not give you someone to root for her. I am not rooting for Agon. He is a slout, monster up.
Speaker 2: Crazy like everybody else.
Speaker 1: But he's fun to watch. And this was always my complaint with Rania and Allison, when the show had made them the center of the story. It was like, these two women are not interesting or fun to watch. They're morose and unpleasant, and you know, they do stupid things all the time. You got to give me a villain or a main character or someone that I'm like, all right, I'm just on board with this freak show. And when he he showed up and laughed in his brother's face, it was perfect. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I think he's very real, Like the whole thing when he went on that journey, like how he would get impatient with everybody because he was the king. You know, right, that's real, Like he couldn't even hide it. And now he's back and you know, facing his brother and the whole thing was just hilarious. The brother started to polo jet. He's like, no, no, no, yeah, he was like, what, I'm not expecting to. I I do think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Again, I don't know whether this is the plan or or they know that they're doing this, but they're making the argument that Agon should sit on the throne. They're making the argument in this story that I mean, look at him, look at all that he's overcoming. He came back from death and he has scratched his way back and he is command, and his brother is falling to his feet, and Alice Rivers is nervous around him, and Rhiniera can't even handle bad news without melting down, right, It is making that point, Like, it's slightly making the point that like Aimon would have been a bad king because he's a psychopath, and Raniera is a bad king because she's just you know, there's just a bundle of issues psychological issues there, and it's making the point, well, he probably should be king because he loves it and he isn't like tortured over it, and yeah, he is a psychopath because everyone in that family is a psycha. I'm not really arguing for his you know, but whatever, But I feel like this show is making the point that if you need to put someone on the throne, he's probably the best bet for it. He's the most suited for it, and he has the most I'm not saying that's how the story ends, because I do know how the story ends, but I feel like the show is making that argument with him, whether they intend to or not. He seems the most kingly in that scene with Amond and where he's shutting up Alice before she can get her claws in It felt very kingly in that old school.
Speaker 2: And there's also the whole thing with the people. Everyone.
Speaker 1: The people want him, thinking that he's a miracle or the dragon resurrected the dragon and all that, so you know, he might have their support. It was a mistake not to make sure he was dead, and that's Damon's fault. Speaking of Damon got his ass kicked and Dumbleton. That was lovely to say.
Speaker 2: God, finally, these people I kept saying all the time, Yeah, you know, to you, Funny told me to shut up. These people are not invincible. I mean they shouldn't be, you know, like the people they just yeah, I mean, get a few punchs here and there, people come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great scene to say. And it was fine, you know, and you're right, especially when it comes to someone like Damon, who you know, just walks around all cocky like he's you know, Superman or something. And there's no reason why someone can't beat the shit out of that guy. And what is his name, sir Roxon or whatever his name is the actor was on and or he's a huge guy. So it was a it was a believable route and it was it was just really nice to see his face all bloody and him looking scared. That was a great choice on Matt Smith's part. I always want to call him Matt Damon because the character's name is Damon and his name is Matt. Anyway, it was a great choice on Matt Smith's part to actually play him scared during it, like, oh shit, I'm going to die here.
Speaker 2: No, I have to say, I hate the character, but he's doing a fantastic He's really good because I hate that character.
Speaker 1: And when I first saw Matt Smith and Doctor Who, he was playing the most lovable children's show character he could ever ever fine, and he is playing the sleepiest asshole. So Tumbleton. Tumbleton was like the Helm's Deep scene, I know. And it sort of gets to my point using that reference of Helm's Deep, which of course I'm referring to the Two Towers, the massive battle scene in the Two Towers. You can't do a scene like that without everyone comparing it to the I mean with the lining the kids up on the wall, and this is very Helm's Deep, and that's I'm not I'm not criticizing them for that. Actually it was a good bit of character, you know, info that Ormond would line the wall with little boys. That's just what a shithead he is. But it goes to my earlier point about you don't want to overdo these battle scenes because you know they've been done and you're gonna just get garner these comparisons to bigger, better scenes.
Speaker 2: I guess if you read the books, you expect that kind of thing, the same way people are expected when they read the books. You know, Lord the I think that's I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying you don't need to do episode long battle scenes anymore. I'm fine with the Battle of Tumbleton only taking up part of this episode. Real quick. I don't see the point today, Ron, the the other king, the Ormond, Like, I don't see the points of this character or where he's going or whatever. I'm like, why are they gonna kill this kid? But I mean, it was interesting that GWayne high Tower and Hey went to Damon with a plan behind Ormon's back, and that would have gotten them both killed. But luckily for them, Ormond got killed in the worst funniest.
Speaker 2: I love that man. He gave it a whole interview about how he died. I think it's hysterical. I think he's such a great actor and he's everywhere. I love him. I love it as a guy, and I think he did a good job. These costumes were insane too, So yeah, good job there. And like I said, I'm not a fan of battles and people dying, getting stabbed all that, so I'm fine with the short version of it. I usually, you know, that's just me. But I thought it was kind of well done. And as you said, you know, some of the fights and all that. I did think was interesting that the dragon writer what's his name again, completely went insane and killed everybody.
Speaker 1: All the way. Yeah, and I do one of the things I like, and I think it's a little bit better in House of the Dragon, although it was a good it was decent in Game of Thrones as well. Is that sometimes disaster comes because there are just too many moving pieces and someone doesn't have the correct information, or someone makes an assumption that they shouldn't make, And there's something about that that's very human that I like that. So that's a very human way to tell these types of stories. And in this instance, Ormond high Tower, so high on his own supplies, so full of himself, thought that he just had to slap off around the couple of times, and he was going to do what it was and that was your That was his downfall. The Ormance downfall was partnering with Olf and then mistreating this angry drunk. So it's interesting to see, I know, it'll be interesting to see the fallout front of us.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen. Yeah, Hugh.
Speaker 1: Was supposed to stay in King's Landing to guard the dragon pit Hue the Hammer, and instead he flew his dragon. Oh that's what I That's what I'm talking about. People are like flying off to Tumbleton and what, hiding their dragons in a in a garage and then walking into town. Like how does that work?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: Uh? And Old the White he was in town drunk, uh huh. But then he's on his dragon and I'm like, okay, so where was his dragon? He partnered close? I mean, it would have taken him a day to walk to it. Similarly, with Hugh the Hammer, it's like, well, somehow he got inside the well. They did show him getting inside the city walls last episode, but where you're dragon anyway, whatever, There's gonna be a huge fallout from that because he was supposed to be back in King's Landing and he flew off, so it'll be Yeah, it's all falling apart in kings Landing. But Tumbleton was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It was great to see Orman High Tower killed. I'm trying to think, is there anything else that's it?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I think the final scene, we're near closing the windows because she couldn't deal with the with the disaster that she created. Yeah, very Telly, And I can't wait to see Wendy come back. You know what's gonna happen. She's going to be in denial. She still thinks she's, you know, the best thing that ever happened, and she's gonna go crazy and Damid's going to be playing her. Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see how things, you know, work from that point. Alison Beck, what's gonna happen to her? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm assuming Alice Well, I don't know where Allison's gonna go. I thought she was going to go to be among her people.
Speaker 2: But maybe she'll support her son that she I don't think she knows well at this point. Maybe she does that her son is alive.
Speaker 1: And no she knows, but she hasn't seen them since, so.
Speaker 2: So maybe she will be back with him and support him, and you know.
Speaker 1: We'll say, but it's it was a good season. I really I enjoy I was not into this season when it started. I was like, whatever, this has been going on too long and I don't even know if they know what they're doing. But they really showed me that they do know what they're doing, and I have a lot of faith. I know the book fans are going to be really pissed next season. I know they are, but I have a decent amount of faith that the creators of this show are going to create craft a good ending to this television show that is not going to match the ending to the books.
Speaker 2: Well, they keep changing things every now and then, and they have to. I mean it's necessary. I think they're doing a good job. And I agree with you. In the beginning, I was like, oh, I don't know, But then he kept getting better and better and better. And for someone who didn't read the books like me, I think the explanations quote unquote explanations kept getting better and better, you know, like, so you begin to understand more where the characters came from.
Speaker 1: Agreed, I think we have beat this one to death. I think we've talked about pretty much every living character. So we'll be back next week with whatever crosses our eyes across our desk. Until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it. Bye bye bye