Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 1: A giant, hairy creature. Park eighte part in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Hey.
Speaker 1: They're Monster Talkers. This is Blake Smith reporting live from Cryptic Con twenty twenty four. What follows is a discussion that Karen and I had last night about the events of the first day of Cryptic Con. I would not be here were it not for the general support of our listeners, so thank you so much for making this episode possible. My apologies for the audio quality of these in caps. This is not my normal recording equipment and I need to clearly invest in a travel kit for doing this kind of stuff on the road. Most well, thank you for meeting with me on such short notice. I know this wasn't exactly how things were planned for this weekend, but this is Hey.
Speaker 3: We fly by the seat of our pants.
Speaker 1: Lucky to get off the ground, lucky to get I'm.
Speaker 2: Really excited that you're at crypto Con and I want to hear all about bitcoin and a theory.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so cool, it's so cool. That's extraordinarily funny. Yeah, yeah, it's cryptid Con. Yeah. I got onto some ban lists on Blue Sky, which I've moved over to Blue Sky. I'm enjoying it there. But somebody, yeah, well you actually brought that to my attention that someone had put me on a band list because of Yeah, yeah, exactly, crypto cryptid exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, so easy to confuse the two.
Speaker 1: I think. What did I say back is that there's bullshit and then there's bullshit, right.
Speaker 3: Distinction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, you are in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Juli Ryan, you know what. Okay, first of all, let me say I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for the fans coming together, because literally the day before I was about to leave my van, water pump failed and we just, yeah, absolute disaster. People came together and helped us out, and so I was able to salvage the trip, which I was delighted by. For the patrons, I gave little video and audio postcards along the way. I did make it up to Kelly Hopkinsville successfully, you're more about that later.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, this is a very important business.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, you need to report to.
Speaker 1: Us from me, I need to report. But also it was like my wife was so upset that I wasn't going because she's like and I thought.
Speaker 3: Well that alone was worth the trip.
Speaker 1: It was suspicious, but she really she knew how much I wanted to go. She really did not want me moping around the house all week and complaining that I wasn't there. So I appreciate it so much from everybody, so thank you.
Speaker 3: We appreciate our listeners so much.
Speaker 1: So much, so much, especially, I mean, we appreciate all of you, but your patrons really really helped us out and you keep her bills paid and we are extraordinarily grateful. And if you're not a patron, you suck. No, not really, no, But we appreciate all our listeners, you know, but if every little bit helps, so you know, if you can't be a patren, we appreciate it a lot. But here I am, I'm in Cryptid Central, I'm in Cryptic Con and Lexi, Kentucky, and I thought I would report back on the day's events because I basically spend all day listening to lectures, which was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I've just got a couple of questions up front. How long has it been around for?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know, I was at the first one, which I think was twenty seventeen maybe maybe okay years now, yeah, yeah, several years. Of course they had to shut down for COVID like everything.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, but yeah, there.
Speaker 1: Were some surprises here. This was really I mean it's first of all, you know, if you like monsters, cryptic comes are really great convention if you need to get your branding updated, because holy cal they've got some great vendors here with just some tremendous items posters, t shirts, buttons. If you love cryptids, they've got you covered, I mean, and some of them are extraordinary. There's a Loveland Frog artists down here who's like made a like a poster for the lovel of Frog and it's so accurate to the original, yet artistically more thatch than the original. So the original Littland Frog was very lopsided and weird and had a magic wand and yeah it's a very strange story. But he clearly has read his material as well as being a skilled artist, so I fantastic. Yeah, I'm gonna have to figure out how to get some of that stuff. That guy's name is Jeff Collins with a K Star Cruiser Studios. No, he doesn't give me anything for that, but I just have to mention how freaking amazing that stuff was.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I've seen some videos on YouTube. It seems like there's a lot of cool merch there for any Cryptid fans.
Speaker 1: Now, when they did this years ago, like when they first started, they had kind of like a split track, so you kind of had to pick between speakers. This year, this hotel doesn't really have a setup for that, so it's all one main track. They have seating for about four hundred and fifty people. It's a little more than that because there's some seats in the back that're just kind of loosey goosey.
Speaker 2: But I have to ask, is this conference for everyone or is it mostly for believers?
Speaker 3: Their mix of skeptics and believers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question. I would say it's very much geared towards people who watch paranormal and Cryptid TV. It's put together by TV ghost Hunters, and there are ghost hunters here and there's some UFO people here, and we'll get to that. There's some surprising people. I sort of the headliner doesn't really have much to do with cryptids at all, but he was certainly a presence here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing about that. Yeah, so where do we begin, Well, let's start with the.
Speaker 1: First talk was by Charlie Raymond, who has been on TV before. He is the head of the Kentucky Bigfoot Research Organization, which sounds similar to the Bigfoot Field Research Organization, and apparently he works with them. I don't know how much he works with him. He told me or he told me he told everyone because it was giving a lecture. He has about seven hundred cases that he has. I don't know if investigated is the right word. Interviewed the people, he's interviewed the witnesses and collected data about that. But that's a private database. And you know, I think one of the problems with these sort of fringe ideas is people hoard their data and so you don't know if are you repeating investigations, are you making important insights? You know? Could someone else have something to add, you know?
Speaker 3: So that makes me think of that.
Speaker 2: Gabriel amph you know, the exorcist in Rome, and he claimed that he'd done something like one hundred thousand exorcisms, but some of them were exercising the public if there was a big crowd of people. So yeah, it sounds like a bit of fudging maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or at least you know, in some sense, a lot of cryptosology people are not doing science, but they're emulating it, you.
Speaker 3: Know what their version, their brains, right.
Speaker 1: But as someone who loves cryptozoology and loves monsters, what I wish is there was more of a scientific base, like some baseline training. All these people going out in the woods could be doing citizens science. You know, bird watchers collect data and share it, amateur astronomers. The Bigfoot world does not have to be locked up in just it's just stories. It didn't have to be that way, it just is, and I wish that would change.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to ask you to just explain a phrase to when you texted me earlier this morning. You said it's a pelts and.
Speaker 2: Pause crowd, and I'm wondering exactly what does that mean for our listeners.
Speaker 1: Well, and this is very on point for his talk. So pelts and pause or is basically the idea that whatever Bigfoot is, our cryptids are that they're real, physical, natural animals, just mysterious and hidden, but they're real, they're normal, they're biological, they have DNA, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So legendary creature is that kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing, right, right? Right? I mean there was a table here for the ho Dag because they're putting together a Hodag festival, but nobody believes there's literally a Hodag. It's very tongue in cheek. It always has been, it was, it was, yes, much more, can't we have? I don't think we've ever done a pure episode on this, but this whole the whole idea of like the lumberjack monsters, like the the Colorado was it the sidewrock Slider, the one oh that I h yeah, that's just stolen from that's funny. But there's a bunch of those, you know, there's there's there's so many of those, like they're just campfire stories for lumberjacks. Yeah, we love them, we do, uh you know, I I love basically all monsters. But but but the Pelts and Paul's crowd really wanted to be biological. But Charlie, when he started his talk before he ever got into talking about, you know, the data he's collected and the expeditions he's been on. He asked the audience for what did they think, you know, and yeah, no, I didn't do a headcount, but I did some eyeballing.
Speaker 3: So it looked like so some eye rolling.
Speaker 1: Well, so let's say there, I believe there were about four hundred and fifty seats on the floor and then it was about eighty percent full at that first talk. And when he asked, first of all, he said, you know, do you think Bigfoot might be paranormal? That got about five percent of the audience to raise their hands. When he said flesh and blood, he got about twenty percent. When he said a combo, that number dropped. It looked maybe like fifteen percent. He asked if people thought it might be aliens? A few more than more than five.
Speaker 2: Georgio put his hand on he was back in the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was back there selling autographs or whatever. But then he said, to think it might be a government experiment, and one person raised their hand, you know, or a government cover up. You know. Also you know what that was, you it was. It's funny he said that because like one person raised their hand, and maybe what he should have done is asked to survey again after he gave his talk, because he did tie into that whole missing four one one stuff and how the national parks have people missing and maybe maybe they know something, you know, that kind of thing. So he was leaning into that towards the end. But he said he had six hundred and eighty eight documented reports and then he's got I guess twenty two that are super secret that people don't want to be, you know, revealed. So since nobody can see these reports at all, it feels like they're all hidden. But whatever, does.
Speaker 3: He plan to share them at any stage or not?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm actually planning to maybe talk to him and to talk to Cliff Barrickman tomorrow if I get a chance. Cliff. When I met Cliff at twenty nineteen at this convention, and he was willing to come on to Monster Talk, but then something happened like it's when I can't remember what it was, but it really distracted me and I lost track of things. I can't don't remember what it was. Anyway, whatever that was, it's over now, and I I need to talk to Cliff because he was one of the talks, So we'll get to him in a minute. But I really like him and enjoy chatting with him, so I'd love to have him on only he wanted to talk about possible in twenty nineteen. He wanted to talk about possible human ancestors that might still be relic populations that could account for Bigfoot stories. But what I really want to talk to it is interesting. I am grossly unqualified to talk about human like the sort of that sort of anthropological view of ancient humans. But what I am interested in talking about he might be interested in talking about is And I have to ask, is this exact thing we're talking about, which is the split between the Pelts and Paul flesh and blood people and the paranormal people. Because there's so much paranormal stuff here, you know, and if you I feel like the Pelts and Pause people feel like that's not being a serious investigator. If you're looking for portal Bigfoot or ultra dimensional Bigfoot or demonic Bigfoot or angelic Bigfoot, that those things aren't science. I'm here quote those aren't scientific.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I could see there being some rivalry and a real split between those two groups.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I think the most interesting thing was as subdued as Charlie was. He kept talking about, you know, you don't get guaranteed you'll have an experience, but then he would say things like when you're on one of these adventures and then like a big male bigfoot bluff charge of you. You know, it changes your life, you know. And I'm like, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: You know, Okay, you just said the.
Speaker 1: Forest was safe, but also you're being bluff charged by giant male big feet. So yeah, I don't know mix signals MC signals.
Speaker 3: Well did he talk about evidence that he had.
Speaker 1: He did, and he showed some video. His evidence was primarily audio. He got into the Sierra Sounds and talked about nice he had a uh he I guess one of the interesting things was he had recording here in Kentucky recent that was a very close sound structure map to the original Sierra Sounds whooping sounds. And he showed a video where he compared a human whooping into a microphone to what they got in those recordings. And so I haven't had a chance to sort of like dive in on that at all or see if that's stuff that we could look at because it's very visual, even though it's an audio presentation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of stuff that interest me.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, no, no, of course. Yeah. And Ron Mooreheads still alive and the Sierra Sounds are copyrighted, so I've always been hesitant to play them on the show. I know a lot of book bigfoot people do, but they're not in the public domain. This is, you know, so, and I don't know how lightgious mister moorehead is, but I'd love to talk about that at least, you know, under exactly if we're adding commentary and analysis, I'm sure it's fine, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Some days.
Speaker 1: Oh I think at the end of his talk, he said, just kind of in passing, it's like, you know, and one of the most startling stories I've heard was about the Fort Knox Bigfoot massacre. In my eyes, you know what it's like, Yeah, he said, I guess an old soldier from Fort Knox gave a deathbed confession that the army had killed or Bigfoot but let a young one get away. And I was like, yeah, I would love to hear more about that story. But yeah, like all deathbed confessions, this one is or maybe not all over like this, but this one is a deathbed confession, unattributed to any particular person, so certainly newsed to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, it'll be a hallucination or something. I don't know, you gotta wonder, but yeah, like to hear more about that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if he was, you know, dipping into the paranormal. The next group was bathing in it so or eleven forty five talk was from a YouTube channel called Hellbent Holler, which is the husband and wife team of Jesse and Joe Doyle.
Speaker 3: And I must admit I have not heard of them before.
Speaker 1: I hadn't either, No, no, no, this was the first I'd heard of them. They seem, you know, the name of their group is Hellbent Holler. I can't help but feel like they're kind of doing a sort of more cryptid version of the hellier stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that kind of was in the back of mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I don't know. I mean, they very much kept talking about their experiences being bordering on They kept bruning into the occult signs of people performing rituals in the woods of North Georgia and in the land between the Lakes. The land between the Lakes is a park area here in Kentucky between two bodies of waters is like a I think they called it the longest inland isthmuth in the United States. I don't know, but it's people go camping there and stuff. But people have been reporting a lot of weird things there, and so when they go out and do their videos, they're finding things like the blair Witch style little hanging stuff from trees. They did a lot of stuff with brown mountain lights. What they showed us some video that was really interesting, but it looked more like a UFO than anything I've ever seen. The brown mountain lights.
Speaker 3: Described as so, why is it bigfoot?
Speaker 2: Then it's involving all this paranormal activity.
Speaker 3: What makes it bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, they weren't saying it's all bigfoot. But they basically do cryptids, creepy, the occult, anything that's kind of weird or dark or mysterious. But uh, I noticed gear, tactical gear, and uh they both carry. There's they've got a bunch of videos with them firing guns and shooting machine guns and stuff, and and uh, there's one video they were heard a noise and Joe pulled his pistol out was pointing his flashlight as pistol in the dark, and I'm like, I I didn't I don't know how I feel about that. Not safe. I don't want to go to Bigfoot somebody's you know, packing heat because if tensions get high, Uh, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I have a very yeah with this crowd.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah. But on the other hand, they look like the kind of people who could sell black rifle coffee. I mean, you know what I mean, like they they they I don't know, I don't know. They seem nice enough, but it's super divorced from critical thinking, is I guess, kind of way of putting it. Reported a lot of tree structures. They made a special note that people had put a circle of quartz stone around a witch tree. Uh, and they were hearing humming sounds. So I mean they're all over the board with what they're into.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeahs pretty mundane summertime.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the things that we've talked about, like the tree structures.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, that's so right. And I thought that was kind of funny because several people that seemed to be a topic of contentionent here. Some people are like, yeah, that's uh, you don't need to have a bigfoot to get those. That's just happened, And there's other people like that's clearly the work of an intelligent creature building something like what are they building? Yeah? Yeah, but the big you know, the big speaker, the big speaker comes in at one like a rock star, really really really you know. And I say that, but like everybody had introductory videos where they played rock and roll music and showed little clips of them running around in night vision.
Speaker 2: I'm not even joking, Like, so we're talking about of course Georgio.
Speaker 1: Georgio Suculo's now you may I you know, he didn't. I was kind of disappointed. I was excited to see him in real life, just to see how tall he is. Is he really as orange as he looks on the internet? And the answer is no. His hair is absolutely just as big, but his skin is not nearly his orange. So yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: He was a very passion speaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, but I mean that is one thing I like about him. He is I mean, he says a lot of ridiculous things, but his passion for the topic is very really rubs.
Speaker 1: Off and yeah it's infectious as.
Speaker 3: Long as you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is as long as you can sit down with some popcorn and treat it for what it is and not believe in it.
Speaker 3: I think he's good fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's more like ancient failures podcasters what they kept talking about it being a show to this design. So you could be making dinner and walk through the living room and go, oh, that's interesting and walk back to the kitchen.
Speaker 2: That's right, something for the dinner party. But so you said that he did it. It was a kind of a Q and a say.
Speaker 1: That was what I was disappointed by. It was absolutely an Ama asked me anything, and everybody wanted to ask about the congressional hearings on UFOs, the cover up when this disclosure coming, Like I am to be blunt, i am not a cryptic con for UFOs. I'm a crypto con for cryptids. So I got a little bored of that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I guess he is just a kind of figurehead for that. But I thought, maybe he seems to tie in his beleefs with just about anything anything any the whole.
Speaker 3: Series, So I thought, oh, he's going to have some links to it.
Speaker 1: Did have a few. I mean he talked about the idea that maybe Bigfoot was the real and natural progression of what humanity would have been had it not been for alien intervention. So that's there we go. Yeah, there you go. Yeah, if it hadn't been for those aliens, we'd all be out naked and having a good time in the woods. And you still can. But it's a lot colder without that fur indeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I think that would have been interesting to see. Anyway, He's just got such a huge following.
Speaker 1: He uh. One of my favorite questions that somebody asked him. I tried to scribble it down, but it was like, I don't understand how they could post these amazing videos like the go Fast video, and then these government people will just come in and they'll try to use trigonometry and physics to explain the whole thing away.
Speaker 2: Good learn shorthand yeah yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 1: Using that trigonometry of physics. It's a conspiracy. I'm wondering ti the terrorist group algebra.
Speaker 3: The base.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, but these videos that these talks and interviews, will they be publicly available?
Speaker 1: Oh I don't think no, no, no.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 2: So just at the comet. Well, that's a shame in a sense that all of these things. It's great that you're reporting on them because we won't get to see them.
Speaker 1: So I wish he had talked about cryptos. That would have been better, but you know, it was what it was.
Speaker 3: It would be more on point.
Speaker 1: But yeah, then hell a little for food. And then Cliff Barrickman came up and he did great. I really liked his talk. He's a very reasonable guy. I mean, I again, he very much believes in Bigfoot, but it is no trouble at all to talk to him. He has lots and lots of data. I'm going to say that I don't want to knock his stuff. You know, he's got footprints and handprints and all kinds of things, and he really cares about fearing information and like I, you know, I think we have very civilly agreed to disagree. And I really, I really hope he'll come on the show and talk about some of the stuff because he's a really interesting guy.
Speaker 3: We've had guests like that before on the show, so we don't shy away from golf. Do you believe in these things?
Speaker 4: Are?
Speaker 3: I think it's certainly just all part of the fabric of our show. It is, and people.
Speaker 1: Like this he is he has made. I guess since we talk to twenty nineteen, he has built a museum, the North American Bigfoot Center, and put a lot of it. Uh, that's a really great question. I think it's at North American Bigfoot Center dot com according to my notes, but I don't remember what to say, the Pacific Northwest, but I don't remember which state.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's all online then, or.
Speaker 1: It's some physical No, No, it's a physical place.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, let me see.
Speaker 1: I'm looking it up. It's boring Oregon, so I don't That does not mean that the museum is boring. It's just it's in boring Oregon. So I got a friend who lives in Oregon. I'll have to see if I get her to go take some pictures for me. That'd be cool.
Speaker 3: Added to the bucket list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, he gave a He talked about his museum has a big sasquatch mascot wearing sort of a flannel shirt. He said, he's sorry that it's kind of campy, but it's very recognizable. But I guess they got to show off at a big I'm gonna mess up. I don't know I'm just gonna say a basketball team sports event, because I recognize that the sport was basketball, but I do not know what the team was, and I know he said it, but I've forgotten. But also he kept saying how he didn't do sports, but he was excited to be able to be a part of this, and he complained that, you know, he plays Dungeons and dragons, is he's into Bigfoot, and people call him a nerd. But then if you talk to a sports person for just a few minutes, you realize they're nerds too. They're all about stats and stuff. It's like, yeah, okay, yeah, we're just different kind of Just because you have stats athletics people, does not make you athletic.
Speaker 2: That's my quote, not yes, indeed, Oh yeah. We'll have to bring him on the show at some point when he's available.
Speaker 1: And doc who was after that, Maria Mayer and Russ Accord, and they were giving a very funny talk. They are from Expedition Bigfoot. I'm gonna have to get here's the I don't watch Expedition Bigfoot. I collect it with the intent to watch it, so I really need to give it a watch. Her background is actually she was a Miami Dolphins cheerleader and then became an anthropologist and then became a TV personality. So she seems to have a strong career. Yeah, oh, very interesting. And she's absolutely got a strong stage presence and it is a good communicator. I don't know much about Russ. They were giving some background for him too. He's ex military. I mean they're both, you know, physically attractive TV people. But she seemed pretty sharp. That doesn't mean that what they're doing on the show is sharp, so I can't really endorse that, and I don't you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I admit it's another thing I haven't watched. I mean, there's just so much content out there nowadays. It's really hard to keep up with all of it.
Speaker 1: There really is. There is a lot. Sorry, I'm drinking some up water here because I am dehydrated. Anyway, So Maria and Russ we're giving a very funny talk. But again, I felt like I don't know much about the show. They were mostly talking about how they got into the show and the show itself. But I, you know, that's I need to actually watch a few episodes. But she because she's an anthropologist, My first thought was, oh, she might be, you know, giving some good signs of information. I don't know if that's real. You know though, because so many of these TV shows, it doesn't really matter what your qualifications are. The editors tell the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, we know that. But yeah, I mean you make me curious about checking it out.
Speaker 1: She's trading on her anthropology background. I just don't know if when you watch the show you get any of that. That's what I'd like to find out. So yeah, but that.
Speaker 3: Brings us a minor.
Speaker 1: Well, it brings us to a very it's a very nice transition into the final guest for today, which was Renee Holland from Finding Bigfoot, the skeptic of the team. And you know, they used to when she would disagree with them, they would call it Renee saying, which I thought is extremely funny. But you know, she has not been at Bigfoot events for a long time.
Speaker 3: And so a reason for that.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it was actually well, her whole talk. I took a bunch of notes. Her whole talk was about four concepts that she thought were really important if you want to stay in Bigfoot. Bigfooting, which is a sense of belonging, a strong sense of curiosity, lots of patience, and persistence, and she said that you know, those are values that she holds deer, but she also really believes in the scientific method and won't accept evidence that other people will because it doesn't hold up to the scientific method. And she gave some examples about like in the bigfoot community, how they get all excited about DNA studies, and then you know, there was the Melbourne catch which turned out to be a complete fiasco, and there's Brian Syke's study which turned out to be funded you know, by the people putting together documentary, not like really approached from a cold scientific perspective. Yeah, So her point, I think was, you know, if you and she kept using Carl Sagan quotes, which I loved, which is basically, if you don't engage in skepticism, then you're not equipped to differentiate, you know, a fact from the most ridiculous lie. You know, you just don't have the tools for it.
Speaker 3: Sure, And how did that go down? How was that received?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I took some photos of the room because but it was the last talk of the day, so the seating was like half empty, and then a few people left after she started talking. But I thought it was a really good talk. Now, she started by saying she was super tired and hadn't gotten much sleep. She had a few trouble with the slide show, but once she got rolling, she was giving a really strong message about how Bigfoot can be used as a tool to teach scientific curiosity, and that the community should embrace scientific methodologies and scientific thinking and how they approach the problem.
Speaker 3: Right, Kindred Spirits totally.
Speaker 1: Felt like that. Totally felt like that. And she also talked about herself as being like the Scully but she has three molders to contend with, which was extremely funny. But yeah, it was a good talk, you know. And after it was over. Oh, and she also spent a lot of time talking about proper use of environmental DNA, the history of environmental DNA, how there are projects out there where people could contribute, that it's not that hard or expensive, and you know, the lack of basic you know, scientific literacy and methodology makes it hard to make use of any of the stuff people do collect. Right. Oh, yes, so it felt real good. But she also had gotten and this is my word, not hers, but basically burned out by the Bigfoot community. There's the way I felt she was describing it, And so I think she basically disappeared from the scene for quite a while, only coming back to like any kind of events for the first time in twenty twenty one, and it's been very She doesn't do podcasts, she doesn't do anything, but she has started to kind of re embrace the community, and I really commend her for coming back. If it's that much pressure and it's that hard, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think just in our experience, that's what we've kind of come across when we've been interviewed for TV or interviewed for podcasts. I think that you do get that sense of burnout pretty quickly when you're saying things that people don't want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She pointed out that of all the Bigfoot shows, she did a really cool thing where she took a real info graphic science brochure that's designed to teach people how to be citizen scientists as well watchers, and she said this was a very effective campaign. I tried to do the same thing with Bigfoot. So she basically made the same infographic using Bigfoot to talk about what you can do and how you can be a better bigfooter and be more scientific, which was good. But one of the things in the corner was don't get all your information from Bigfoot television. And she made the point that Finding Bigfoot is the only Bigfoot show that she's aware of. Where it was in the contract that the producers could not fake evidence they could, they weren't allowed to add anything or sweeten it or you know, do anything to make it fake. You know, I don't know how you police that because they've got the editing tools.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we know a lot about Yeah, but at.
Speaker 1: Least they tried, you know. I mean, it may be in the contract. That doesn't mean it didn't have but at least they didn't care enough to try, you know, so it matters.
Speaker 2: Depressing state of affairs though that's really a clause to about that. I mean, you just I think that a lot of most viewers would just expect that this is all on the up and up. Oh so I didn't think, Yeah, I've got to really pay attention to those disclaimers, you know, about entertainment purposes only.
Speaker 1: I have a good college educated friend who still thinks that the Ghost Centers TV show with the plumbers was doing science.
Speaker 3: Oh, blind spots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were not.
Speaker 3: Never did. Yeah, well, I think they started off a little bit more skeptical.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, I mean, I just I don't want to get into it. I do, obviously want to get to we've been doing it in two thousand and another day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh boy, Well that sounds to me like it would have been one of the more interesting talks for you, would have been for me to And it's a shame that it was, maybe, as you said, being the end of the day as well, people were kind of drifting off to go and get there to knock at their mint julips, and it was.
Speaker 3: Just a little quiet.
Speaker 2: But I just wonder how many people in that community really want to hear that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. I think a lot of people are here to have fun, you know, just you know, just to hear fun, scary stories, be told that the woods are spooky. You know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that that I can appreciate too, me too.
Speaker 1: But there's a whole lot of haunted Appalachia kind of creeping in here. I heard spooky Appalachia, haunted Appalachia, cursed Appalachia. I heard a lot about the hillfolk and what is getting what's happening out there? And it's weird to me because like this is not like the manly Wade Wellman fiction stories where you've got conjuring people. You know. Well, I guess maybe it is a little though I like, I don't hear any split between like white folk magic and I don't mean like white people, but I mean folk magic versus satanic ritual because some when they go on these trips and there's finding occult stuff, it's classic satanic panic stuff. It's not it's not herbal remedies and the long Lost Friend or whatever. It's just something else. It's so one of the stories they told was they told a story about some people who came up on a ritual and there was a child in the middle of a circle and hooded figures wearing cloaks were doing something and they tried to intervene, but they got chased off by the cultists. And I'm like, what what, like, what did you call the police? Did you do anything? What are you talking about? That's you know, So there's a whole lot of folklorish kind of stuff going on here, which can be good fun or it can kick off a cultural oppression of people who were different, so you got to kind of watch out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, absolutely, yeah, I think it's good that you kind of are there to just observe everything and be able to write about it and talk about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how well it would go down if you were too. I don't know if you've been engaging much with other I am quietly.
Speaker 1: I decided to go incognito this year, so I'm just quietly asking questions. I'm not I will know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big pair of glasses and.
Speaker 1: If I had a wig at all, that would be a good disguise, that would be Yeah, I'm going as this is a great disguise. I'm going to that guy with a goatee, right, that's me. I've got I blend, I assure you. So I'm not even that fat anymore. I cas I shouldn't even say that, but yeah, no, I just white guy with a go tea is a great costume here. It works out real well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, fit in.
Speaker 1: Well that's all I have to report so far from cryptocon.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean we'll we'll have to pick things up and find out a bit more about the day two to the events, but it sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if you might encounter any monster.
Speaker 3: All listeners too, we.
Speaker 1: Have in the past. I haven't seen any here. I've definitely run into it. I didn't get a chance to really promote that I was going to be here in time, I think. But and also previously I was giving talks, and this year I didn't even try to. I didn't know I was going to be coming till the very late. And then once I got it, you know that it was happening that it almost didn't have It's just been a little I've been playing it quiet and just absorbing everything I can because it's just it was just not a year for self promotion. It was a year to learn things. So that's all right, fair.
Speaker 3: Enough, good to sometimes just listen and pay attention. Well, enjoy the rest of the conference, and I look forward to hearing more about what transplirees tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, it should be a good day. I'm excited about heading back home. Last thing of the day is a Bigfoot town hall, which is kind of like a prayer meeting for Bigfoot. But I really want to get home. Yeah. So basically it's so I know that's not your background, but you know, I grew up in a very fundamentalist church. So you know, there's Sunday morning service, Sunday evening service, but Wednesday night's prayer meeting, and in prayer meeting, people will get up and give testimony about all the ways the Lord has been in their life, you know, like what things have happened if they pray and a thing came, you know, it's a it's a reinforcement way to talk about all the way the Lord's been helping you. But in the Bigfoot world, these town halls to me, and they seem to sort of be the same thing. It's people get up to tell their personal story, which is most of Bigfoot data is stories. It's it's a it's a very much a story kind of field. What's a Bigfoot town hall? They used to do these on the Finding Bigfoot show and now it's like a pretty common thing at these kind of cryptid conventions to.
Speaker 3: Actually, Okay, I wasn't aware, y yeah.
Speaker 1: And I wish I could stay, but I really I won't be able to stay for that because I really need to get hold. Yeah it's a five and a half hour drive, so.
Speaker 3: But I do see the parallels with religion that's.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, very very well. I think there are probably religious study people out there who were studying this stuff as religion, you know, I know the UFO side certainly has it. I would be shocked if the Bigfoot side. Well, even when I went to the conference with Joe Letcock and Natasha Michael's the the whole like the questionnaire, they can't be asking you, I would say it's big for a religion, and there was like, how is it not a religion? And I'm like, well, wait a minute, what's a religion? You know, It's like it's like, but the religious well, religious studies and cultural studies are both well equipped to sort of categorize, dissect, and better understand this stuff than you can just from the inside, right. I mean they sort of do a meta analysis, which is very interesting. Now, some people might say that sort of SAPs the joy, but it also reveals things about how we think and how culture progresses, and that doesn't mean gets better, just means moves on down the line. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh no. I remember my old professor doing research into humor and to laughter, and some of it wasn't really funny at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it turns out jokes are best when alive. When you deconstruct them, they're just dead. Well, thank you very much, and again thanks to the listeners who made this possible. I've been having a wonderful time and I hope that the content that I sent you guys was enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to check that out too.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Thank you for reporting on site.
Speaker 1: You are welcome. Have a great night.
Speaker 3: Yeah you too.
Speaker 1: Monster You've been listening to Monster Doc, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. Thanks for tuning into another Monster Talk. Sorry for the audio quality of these endcaps. I definitely need to work on my travel gear because this isn't as good as I'd like. It ain't great, just grating. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. With five and a half hour drive ahead of me, I can only think keep on trucking. This has been a Monster House presentation.