Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: No versus necessary d wherever I lost et terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 4: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 3: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumbu Casino. Chum, that's right, chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 1: Chum chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 5: Nocess eighteen plus terms conditions of plus retails.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten Lucky.
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the deli.
Speaker 1: I guess ah in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 6: Actually do I.
Speaker 7: Have to say yes? You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 7: I never win?
Speaker 6: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 4: Nobri? Just necessario?
Speaker 2: Where my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of pluck seems aver details?
Speaker 1: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you? What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, A handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbuckcasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever. At Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: They're eadievery by lost your reconditions eighteen class.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 8: Good Evening on a hot night. In July nineteen ninety five, Janet Downing, a forty two year old mother of four, was brutally stabbed ninety eight times in her home in Somerville, a city two miles northwest of Boston. Within hours, a suspect was identified, fifteen year old Eddie O'Brien, the best friend of one of Janet's sons. But why Eddie. He had no prior history of criminal behavior, He was not mentally ill, He had neither motive nor opportunity to commit the crime. Yet none of that mattered, because powers beyond his Somerville neighborhood decided that Eddie needed to be guilty. The timing of this case did not bode well for Eddie. A movement hoping to stop the supposed rise of young super predators was sweeping the nation, and juvenile offenders were the targets. Both the Massachusetts governor in an elected district attorney who personally litigated this case, supported juvenile justice reform, and both aspired to higher offices. Eddie O'Brien's case garnered both local and nottional publicity. He was a youthful Irish Catholic boy. Next door his grandfather was the retired chief of the Somerville Police Department. Court TV covered the trial in adult court gavel to gavel, calling it the Altboy Murder Case. His highly publicized case changed the juvenile laws in Massachusetts. Other states began to follow suit. But did the justice system fail Eddie? That's the contention of author Attorney Margot Nash in her explosive expose The Politics of Murder. Appointed Eddie's guardian ad litem, Nash attended every court session eventually gained access to all his files. Now, after painstaking research and examination of each step of the investigation, trial transcripts, and the forensic evidence, Nash makes the case that Eddie could not have committed the crime and that other viable suspects were never properly considered. The book that we're featuring this evening is the politics of Murder with my special guest, journalist and author and attorney Margo Nash. Welcome to the program and thank you for agreeing to this interview.
Speaker 4: Margo Nash, Thank you Dan, and thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much. Fascinating case. Again, as I mentioned before, I'm learning so much for the differences between the vast differences between state law. Incredible difference. Let's get right to this. I won't ask why you got involved with this because we will see very early on why you were involved with this. As I mentioned, you were appointed the guardian ad litem. Let's just start with what a guardian ad litem is. Give us that background, and give us your background as a lawyer before as an introduction to how you came to this case.
Speaker 4: Sure, a guardian lightem is an attorney, usually an attorney. It doesn't have to be appointed in a lawsuit, and generally it happens in child custody proceedings and they are appointed to protect the interests of the child who is a mayor. And in this particular case, Eddie's attorneys asked for the appointment about guardian ed Letham for various reasons, and the judge appointed me to help Eddie navigate his way through the system he was in the juvenile system at that particular point, to help him understand the proceedings and various things that were happening to him. My background is that I graduated from law school in nineteen eighty three and for five years I was an attorney with the State Department of Social Services, where I prosecuted abuse in neglect cases. And I then went into private practice and did a number of different areas of law, one of which was juvenile law, another was divorce and child custody. And I also was certified by the court after taking certain courses required courses to be a guardian ned lightem tactics, a guardian dead item, so that I could protect children's rights in the court system.
Speaker 8: Now, as you talk about in the book, here we you set up the story. Begin the story with a little background on Eddie O'Brien. His grandfather's birthday was a week before this incident. His grandfather, TJ. Or Chief, as he was known, was the chief of police for the Somerville Police as we had mentioned, and he had retired years before. Eddie's Father's name is ed. So tell us a little bit about who Eddie's family was, the members of his family, and tell us about the Downing family which was right across the street before we talk about this little neighborhood a little ways out.
Speaker 4: Of Boston, Okay. Eddie's parents, their names are ed and Tricia Patricia and Tricia was her maiden name is also O'Brien. They both grew up in Somerville. They both come from Irish Catholic families with several siblings. Ed is the youngest of his group of siblings, having been born much after some of his older siblings. He grew up in the house that Eddie later and his siblings later grew up in. It was a family home owned by the chief. There were five children in the house. Eddie had an older sister named Jean Eddie Jessica was twelve at the time, two little girls named Mary and Meghan three years old and three months old at the time of the incident. So that's who was living in the Eddie O'Brien house. And Papa, the grandfather, the chief, was in the house. As you said, There was a birthday party for him the week before this incident. He had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he was not well and he would die not too long after Eddie's arrest of cancer. Across the street, the Downings, they purchased a house whereas the O'Brien family had lived in that house for at least one generation so far. The Downing family moved into that house when Janet married her husband, Paul Senior. At the time of the incident, Paul and Janet were divorced, had been divorced, I believe Paul. I know Paul was remarried at that point and lived in another town. Janet lived there with. Janet had four children. The oldest was Carrie Anne, and then Aaron, and then the twin boys, Ryan and Paul Junior were fifteen sixteen years old at the time and in the house. The only child that was not in the home at the time living in the home was Carrie Anne. The family. I'm sorry to go ahead, I say that I'll wait for your question.
Speaker 8: To round this out. You have you mentioned that Janet rented the other part of the duplex that she lived into Barry and Virgina Wrecley, And you also talk about again a very crucial person and character in this story is Gina Mahoney. So let's talk about Virginia and Barry Wreckley, and then we'll talk about Gina Mahoney to round out this this very very important neighborhood in this story.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was gonna say earlier that Paul Downing Senior and Janet Downing were not from Somerville. They were not originally from Somerville or from that neighborhood, unlike Gina Mahoney, who is the third has the three generations of Mahony's have grown up in her house. She lives two doors down on the on the O'Brien's side of the house. There renters. I don't believe they were from Somerville, but they were renters there for about five years. Since they had a daughter who was married, who had not been married when they first moved there. They were only renters there for about five years.
Speaker 8: Now, you talk about Gina Mahoney, and you talk about how close Janet was, and so tell us about where Janet was that day that we're talking about, July twenty third, nineteen ninety five. So you talk about the time Janet spent with Gina, tell us about what Gina recalls from that afternoon, that many hours that they spent together. What did they talk about? And tell us a little bit about Gina Mahoney.
Speaker 4: Gina Mahoney is a wonderful, wonderful person. She's an icon in the neighborhood. Everyone knows her. She's been there forever. She grew up there as a child. She's known Ed Senior since Ed Senior was smaller. He there. There's at least ten or fifteen years difference between the the uh uh Gina Mahoney and the O'Brien parents.
Speaker 8: And she.
Speaker 4: Uh she as I said, she lives two doors down from the O'Brien's and she is just a friend to everybody in the neighborhood. Janet came over to her house very early that morning was a hot, hot, muggy day, and it had been a hot week air conditioning. Air conditioning was not prevalent in the neighborhood. These are old three three decker houses and wooden framed houses, and and there may people may have an air conditioning unit in their bedroom, but there was no such thing as central air. And Janet came over in that hot morning and brought her coffee, and she wanted to talk to Gina because Gina had worked in a union office for a utility company all of her life and knew a lot about labor relations and about unions and about employee rights. And Janet was concerned because she felt she was being pushed out of her job at a local health insurance facility where she was a clerical worker, and she wanted Gina to review her performance reviews and to give her an opinion as to whether or not she should try to fight the potential discharge that she thought was coming, and that's what her initial purpose was when she came over. During the day, Gina's daughter, Danny came in and there was some discussion about her going out that and Janet immediately remarked, you know that she should be careful where she goes at night, because three months before this, a young girl named Deanna Kremons had been brutally murdered just blocks from where this house is. And no, they had never they still have not charged anybody with that murder, or they don't know who killed Deanna Cremons. She's been dead now almost twenty three years, so that was much on everybody's mind. And after Danny left the room, Gina explained to to Janet Downing that Danny was friends with Deanna Kremens, and that was upsetting, you know, And she was still very upset about that, and at which point Janet said, if anything like that ever happens to me, I want you to promise me, Gina, that you will investigate, investigate, investigate, And she pounded her fist into her other into the palm of her other hand and saying, investigate, investigate, investigate, and I would never kill myself, and even if it looks like an accident, promise me that you'll have the police investigate. And Gina was taken aback and she said, my god, is something are you afraid of something? Is something happening? And why would you even say that? And she then explained that she was afraid of someone, and she explained why she was afraid of this person. And this person happened to be a family member of hers who she felt was following her and was trying to terrorize her. And she believed that he had been coming in and out of her house while she was at work and moving things around, taking her personal diary from the nightstand. Another parrowing incident which had happened maybe several weeks before that, when she was coming home from work. The family member who she was afraid of worked for a cab company, and she was coming down a one way street and suddenly she was surrounded by these cabs and there was one on either side of her, one in front of her, one behind her, flashing in their bright lights it was dark out, honking their horns and penning her in and she said she was so scared. All she could do was look straight ahead and try not to hit one of the cabs. And it was this family member's cab company. And she was absolutely unhinged by that incident, and it really really terrified her. And as I said, another incident, she found a personal diary missing from her night table. She couldn't figure out what had happened to it, and she had actually went over to her house to get it to bring it to Gina's to show her. And then she said that several weeks after the diary went missing, this family member, her brother in law, she was getting in her car again from work and he was standing beside her car, and she looked up and she was startled, and he had the diary in his hand and he handed it to her and he said he had found it on the street somewhere, you know, that was absolutely not plausible. That scared her. And then she said to Geena, do you notice do you ever notice cabs here at my house when I'm not home? And Gina said, there's a cab every day in your driveway. He's here all the time. Gina knew this brother in law because the brother in law had lived with Janet and her family for a year. When they became homeless, they moved into Janet's den, and her sister and her brother in law and their baby moved into the den and lived with them for a year. And it was in March of two thousand, I'm sorry, of nineteen ninety five that Janet had to ask them to leave the house because, according to Janet, the brother in law was dealing drugs to the neighborhood children from her basement and she would not tolerate that. And he was very angry at being asked to leave. And she had asked him many times to get her keys back, and he said he didn't have them, that he lost them, but apparently it would appear that he still had them because he was in her house every day when the children were at school, and she was gone. Gina saw him there. So that is a lot of what they talked.
Speaker 8: About right now with this as well, they also talked about Carrie Anne being a problem because Janet.
Speaker 4: Had a struggles. Yeah, she had had struggles as a teenager. She struggled with I think dabbling in drugs. She had some you know, issues of anger and rage and various situations that had caused disruption in the family and caused Janet to have to call the police several times and go looking for her several times when she'd run away. And I believe she was a truant at one point or you know, there had been a difficulty in that situation. So carry Inn at the time of her mother's murder was living in a women's shelter with her baby.
Speaker 8: Now you talk about Virginia and Barry, and they had been next door for five years, and that day, July twenty third, nineteen ninety five, they were home. Virginia and her daughter Christine heard a loud boom at eight fifteen and they knew They noted that the time, sounding like make you right, that someone was falling down, had fallen four or five steps downstairs. Now, apparently the daughter was alarmed. They didn't hear janets and typical barking dog. So what was their reaction other than noting that they heard something, What did they do? And tell us what happens? What they soon see? Ed O'Brien, Tricia's husband, tell us what happens after they notice and shortly after what happens involving the senior Ed O'Brien.
Speaker 4: Okay, they the Recklers were home all day babysitting for their granddaughter, Christina's daughter, and they had dinner. Came at six o'clock. They had dinner together. It was Barrie's birthday. They brought the After dinner, they had spaghetti and meatballs. After dinner, they brought the baby out to the backyard to give the baby a pool in a little waiting pool the cool or down. They played out there for a while and when they came they were going back in the house to have birthday cake and both Christina there was a clock right over the cellar stairway as you walk in the back door. It was right there. Both of them noted that it was about ten after eight, eight fifteen when they walked in the house. They went to the dining room to change the baby, the mother, Christina and Virginia directly, and the baby went to the dining room, and the dining room wall is the wall that is the party wall to the Downing home where they were changing the baby, they heard what sounded like somebody crashing down the stairs or falling down the stairs at Janet Downing's home, and Christina was so alarmed. She said, oh my god, did you hear that? Should we do something? And they stopped for a minute to listen, and Virginia said, you know, their dog barks at everything and not barking, so I think it's probably okay, or the dog would be barking. So the fact that the dog wasn't barking gave them some reassurance that everything was okay, that it wasn't anything untoward. But they were very clear, and they both were very clear about what time this happened. And then they had the birthday cake, they had the celebration, and they packed up the baby and Christina and her husband and the baby left at about nine o'clock and she Virginia went in to do the dishes. They had heard nothing after that bang, and she noticed when she turned on the water to do the dishes at nine o'clock that there was no water pressure. This was a constant problem that they had in the house, and they'd had for five years. When anybody was using the water on the downing side of the house, there was no pressure on the wrectless side of the house. So she said it took five minutes to fill up the spaghetti pot with sudsy water to let it soak, and then do all the dishes and the cake dishes and all of that stuff. She said it took a long time for her to finish the dishes. It was nine thirty or after nine thirty by the time she finished the dishes, and the entire time there was no water pressure in her house. She went into the living room. She was sitting on the couch. Barry was watching television, and she was there for she doesn't know how long, she said, sometime a short time after she finished the dishes and went into the living room, she saw and heard Big At O'Brien as he's known in the neighborhood, run by their front window and say, Barry, come and help me. There's something wrong. And they both rushed out of the house and followed him into the downing house, and when they got inside the downing house, they saw Janet lying in a pool of blood in her dining room and she appeared to be deceased. And at that just at that moment, Ryan, who was Eddie's best friend and one of the twin sons, started to come into the house and his roller blades in Virginia was in her bare feet and she stepped on it. What was a picture frame that had fallen in the struggle that Janet had had, and she hoped she hadn't cut her foot or broken the glass, but she knew she had to get Ryan out of that house, and so she took him outside and ed called the police.
Speaker 8: Now you talk about, yes, you talk about. Virginia and Barry were never interviewed by Summer police immediately after or state police until you'll before they were going to testify.
Speaker 1: So now, hello, it is Ryan. And I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing chumba casino coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at chumbucasino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus. That's Chumbu Casino dot com and lived at Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: No necessary d lost in the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 8: Tell us how police proceed here, with what they do find and what they do conclude. Tell us who is involved and what they conclude from the evidence there. When do they talk to Eddie O'Brien and tell us how long it takes for that arrest.
Speaker 4: The police arrive and there were approximately seventeen people including police, civilians, detectives, EMTs in and out of that house before they secured the perimeter, so it wouldn't be contaminated by everybody walking around in this blood and so in other words, I'm saying that the scene was terribly contaminated by the failure of the police to secure the scene. The police officer who was there would not let the EMTs in in the beginning because he determined by his own calculation by going over to the body and feeling for a pulse in her neck, that she was deceased. She was cold to the touch, that's what he said, and that there was no hope of reviving her, so that he would try to preserved the scene. At some point he changed his mind and he let them in. So the EMTs came in, three or four of them, and they cut her clothes off and they they you know, they intubated her, they did cp R on her, and finally they put her on a stretcher to carry her out of the house, and she was there was so much blood that it was drifting down off of the stretcher and they had to stop at some point and secure the stretchers so that they wouldn't just have a trail of blood wherever they were going. She was stabbed ninety eight times.
Speaker 8: Now you talk about he stabbed ninety eight times, but there's more. He removed eh bra. Perpetrator moved her bra, sliced that bra thirty six times, and placed it back on her body. And he's also supposed to spend some time inflicting twenty two other slice wounds, some of as deep at four inches on her neck or the fourth.
Speaker 4: The insize wounds are not superficial. They break the skin, but they're not deep wounds. They're not four inches long four inches deep. They're twenty they're ear to ear across her neck, twenty two insize wounds like that. There were stab wounds to her the middle of her chest, but not on her breasts. However, the bra that she was wearing had thirty six stab wounds in the cups of the bra that didn't correspond to any stab wounds on her body, so they concluded that the perpetrator had and they also she was terribly bruised. Her ear was bruised, her chin was bruised, she was beaten, and there was blood up and down the stairs, the last four or five stairs, on the wall, on the baseboard, on the stairs, in the in the entrance to the dining room, and then a huge amount of blood in the dining room. They determined that she had been she had struggled, and that she had tried to find her way into the dining room. They believed that she tried to turn the light on or off, it's unclear which way it was when when she was found and they found her, and they determined that the person had at the perpetrator had at this time undressed her, stabbed the bra and then replaced the bra back on her. Because the bra was on her, but it was not hooked in the back.
Speaker 8: Okay, now, so we have the police trying to examine this, but meanwhile you have information later we put as you put in the book. Her neighbor Gina Lamhoni, would spend ten hours with Janet, was taking once in the action unfolding from her porch, and she thought at first it was maybe another incident with carry Enne. However, she saw Ardie Ortis, her brother in law, that's the brothers from the hamlet street towards her house. So describe what she saw. What was his description which seemed out of whack for out of out of the norm for the considering the temperature. So tell us what she saw and what she thought at that time.
Speaker 4: Well, Gina went over to the house. Gina went over to the downing house. She went inside, so she was one of the other people inside. Nobody had protective booties, nobody had medical gloves. You know, there was medical debris all over the place. They'd been thrown about, but they were still working on Janet. When when when Gina went in there Gina said no. She said, there's too many people here, and you know, I'm going to go. I'm going to leave this scene and go back to where go back to my porch. And just as she was on her porch, she saw Bartie Ortiz, who is janice brother in law. He used to live with her, walking up from the direction of Janet's backyard, passed his cab and his cab was penned in by the ambulances and first responders, the fire trucks and police cars, so that he had been parked there obviously before they got there. And they got there about two minutes after ten, and she she saw him. He walked over to her house, and she said, it was the hottest, muggiest night, and he looked like he had just stepped out of a shower and he was, you know, very well groomed. And he claimed that he'd been driving cab and he claimed that his dispatcher called him and told him that his sister in law had been murdered. And this is seconds after Janet was still in out. Her body was still in the house and they were still working on her, so she had by no means been dead, and that seemed very odd to Gina that he should do that. Then he asked to borrow her phone, and he borrowed the phone and he said that he had called it. I can't remember quite who he said he had called, but I think his words were, well, she's officially dead now, but she hadn't even been transported to mass General, which is where she was declared dead. So it was very, very very odd his behavior and his comments about the state that Janet was in, and the fact that his car was parked there before the first responders, So it appeared from what Gina could could see that he had been there and had been at the scene long before anybody anybody was called.
Speaker 8: You also write that he sprinted across the lawn and was stopped by an officer. He told the cop that he lost his keys and wanted to go to the backyard to look for them. He told Gina the same and said like, essentially, I'm screwed, you know. He it was he was in a panic over the lost keys that he said, we're in the backyard.
Speaker 4: He said he'd lost his keys in the backyard, and the police at this point had put the yellow tape around the house and the backyard because the escape route of the perpetrator was through the backyard, through the back door, and that's what's assumed. Anyway, there was blood all over the back door, so uh and and the and the cellar door was wide open.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he he they wouldn't let him go back and get his keys, and he had to call a tow truck to come and get the cab. Gina didn't know that the back door was open at that point or what role that had played in the whole scenario. And she tried to calm him down and said, you know, don't worry. I'm sure this happens to cab drivers all the time, and just call them. They must have an extra set of keys at the office. And he said, no, no, no, you don't understand, you don't understand. I'm really this is really bad. And she said, well, and then apparently he called it a tow truck, and the tow truck came and got the cab. And I don't know, actually whatever happened about his keys. I have been told that they were retrieved by the police and returned to him, but I don't know that for a fact.
Speaker 8: Sorry, you ask, well, you talk about Gina, and of course, Gina is a friend of Janet and the family and a neighborhood fixture, and so investigators asked her a couple of questions, When was the last time you saw Janet Downing and when did she leave your house? So then, Gene, that was the following day she made a day that she had additional information, So tell us about what she wanted to tell them and this transaction where she couldn't get that information to these police, and why.
Speaker 4: She wanted to tell them about Janet's fear of her brother in law and her brother in law's behavior the night before and his appearance the night before while Janet was being worked one by the EMTs, and what he had done at her house and what he had said at her house, and also what Janet was afraid of, and that how she expressed that fear literally hours two hours before she was murdered. And they said they didn't need to know any of that. That's all they needed to know right now, was they didn't need to know anything else. They needed to know what time Janet had left her house and was that the last time she saw her? And that was it. She said, I have a lot of information about this. She was with me all day and they said, no, we're all set. That's all we need to know right now. And then for a year she Gina called the Detective Bureau to try to get them to interview her and to tell them that she had information she thought was relevant, and they just said, we have all the information we need. Thank you.
Speaker 8: Now you take us back in the book to where Eddie tells his dad he's going to the Burger King, and then he goes to his friend's house, which is next door, Ryan Downing, and wraps on Ryan Downing's window like he had done many a time. So what does he hear and what does he do as a result of what he hears? When he bangs on that window next.
Speaker 4: Door, he heard what he thought was somebody saying help me. And it was very dim, and the front door was wide open, and he walked into the little foyer and then he opened that door that opened into the house itself, and he looked and he saw the blood he saw, and straight ahead in front of him he saw the bathroom door open, the saint running at full force. And he turned to his right he saw Janet lying on the floor, and he thought maybe she had fallen or fainted. He didn't know she was on her side and he and he didn't know, he didn't know what had happened to her. So he went over to her and he knelt down and he he he, and he shook her and he said, Janet, Janet, are you okay? Are you okay? And and she didn't respond, and she felt funny, and he turned her over and that's when he saw all the stab wounds in her chest and he realized that she was terribly terribly not you know, injured, and not by simply falling down. He then stood up and turned to go back out the front door, and it was he didn't know where this person came from. It seemed like he had come from behind the front door, he said. But a person who had a nylon stocking over his head confronted him with a huge knife and told him to close the inner door that he had come through, the inner fourier door. And Eddie backed himself up to that door and closed it with his hand, and the guy held the knife to his neck and he said, you know, if you tell anybody what you've seen, I know where you live, and I know, and I'll kill your whole family. At that point, they both the perpetrator and Eddie heard the knock at the door of the three friends who had shown up at nine to twenty, and after the three boys stopped knocking, he told Eddie, you know, to get out of there, and you know, just get out of here and don't say anything, and if you say anything, I know where you live to kill your old family. So Eddie took off. He ran through the kitchen, down the cellar stairs and ran straight out the back cellar door, which was wide open. It was already wide open, and he ran through there. In fact, he didn't want to go turn right and go into onto Hamlet Street because he was afraid the perpetrator might have gone out the front door and be running down Hamlet Street and he would get him and kill him. So he ran into the bushes and they were behind Janet's house, and that's when the three boys who had been knocking at the front door moved. Three friends of Eddie's and Ryan moved towards the backyard and heard the rustling of Eddie and the bushes, and Eddie jumped out of the bushes and ran down Hamlet Street. And that was at nine twenty. As I said, so, Eddie had left his house telling his father that he was going to burger king, and he decided he would stop to see if Ryan was home. Yet Ryan had gone swimming, and he knocked on the window encountered that scene that I just described, and that was at nine point fifteen. He left his house at nine fifteen, and at nine twenty the boys knocked on the door, and that's why the guy told him to get out. So for Eddie to have committed this is why it's ludicrous to think that Eddie could have committed. One of the reasons why it's ludicrous because Eddie would have had five minutes to walk across This is twenty five yards away, and Eddie's spots on the front porch. Most of the neighbors are on their front porch. The whole neighborhood is out to walk across the twenty five yards fifty two feet. I think it is across the street. Murder his neighbor in five minutes, not going to drop of blood on him and flee out the back door without all within five minutes is just that. It makes absolutely no sense.
Speaker 8: But not helping him is the one of the most profoundly unbelievable stories I've ever heard. He then encounters at the burger king another two teenagers confronting him, demanding his money seventeen dollars, flashing knife, saying now I have to cut you because I may I saw your face. And he side steps if he gets it, but he gets his hand cut, you know.
Speaker 4: So well that's where he got his hand cut. Yes, he was in a complete state of shock, you know, he was. He went to the burger king, he did in order food, He went to the bathroom and he just sat there trying to compose himself. I mean he he was. He was completely in, you know, in a fugue. And he doesn't remember his hand being cut then and he finally, after he composes himself, he leaves burger King and he starts walking down Somerville Avenue toward the convenience store, which is where he worked. And it was on that little walk that he gets confronted by two teenagers to say give me allion money. He gives him seventeen dollars and he and one and the guy says, well, I think you looked at my face and now I'm going to have to cut you, and sort of lunged at him with the knife, and he grabbed a knife, and he thinks that's where he got cut. But he you know, he doesn't remember feeling that he got cut anywhere. I mean, he doesn't remember getting hurt in the bushes, which he did. He was not in a he was in a complete state of shock the entire time. You also say, too unbelievable. How many how many fifteen year old boys see their best friend's mother murdered and within another half an hour get mugged. I mean, the chances are a gazillion to one. And as an attorney, it's like you cringe when you hear that, because you think, I will never get a jury to believe that. You know, and sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, and it's very very hard to deal with. And no one ever believed the mugging story. That's how Eddie became a suspect. You asked me, what evidence did they have? They had no evidence whatsoever. The only evidence they had was that after Eddie got mugged, he walked into the store where he worked, and they called the police to report the mugging, handed Eddie the phone. So that this is at about ten o'clock that he was mugged. So that's exactly when the first responders are getting to Janet Downing's house and finding her murdered. So they patching these calls, they learn through their radios that Eddie has a cut on his hand at midnight, convenient, and Janet Downing is stabbed. Therefore we should look at Eddie. That is basically what happened, because when the police came and looked at the empts came, they looked at Eddie's hand. They said there was no blood. He wasn't bleeding, He didn't have any blood on his hands, you know. They said, you know, we think you're okay to just go home. They let Then the police drove him home, and it was his grandfather who said, no, you need to go to the hospital and you need to get a technis shot if nothing else, And so his family drove him up to the hospital. And it was then that the summer of a police dispatched somebody from the District Attorney's office and somebody from Somerville up to the hospital where Eddie was being seen for the cut on his hand and swabbed the blood on his legs.
Speaker 8: We use this as a top gon. Use this as an opportunity to take a break to talk about today's sponsor, which is Zip Recruiter. Are you hiring? Do you know where to post your job to find the best candidates. Posting your job in one place isn't enough to find quality candidates. If you want to find the perfect hire, you need to post your job on all the top job sites, and now you can. With ZipRecruiter dot com. You can post your job to two hundred plus job sites, including social media networks like Facebook and Twitter, all with a single click find candidates in any city or industry nationwide. Just post once and watch your qualified candidates roll in to ziprecruiters. Easy to use interface, no juggling emails or calls to your office. Quickly screen candidates, rate them, and hire them. Hire the right person fast. Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by Fortune one hundred companies and thousands of small and medium sized businesses. And right now, my listeners of true Murder can post jobs on ZipRecruiter for free by going to ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder one more time to try it for free. Go to ZipRecruiter slash Murder. When we last last off Margo, When we last least off Margot, we were talking about some of the the circumstances that Eddie O'Brien came to be the number one suspect. Let's talk about what happens to Eddie O'Brien immediately after, and you can start introducing some of the legal people that are responsible for Eddie O'Brien being arrested. Shortly after this little bit of information comes to light. For those people, the.
Speaker 4: Only information they had was that Eddie had a cut and Janet Downing was stabbed. That's really the only information they had for two days. But that night, the night of the murder and the night he was at the hospital, they brought Eddie down to the police station. They took his clothes, the clothes he had on, They took his fingerprints. They asked him if he had been at Janet Downing's house. He had left earlier in the day when all the boys were there hanging out, and he said he had not returned. He was not going to tell the police anything because he was terrified that his family was in jeopardy. His mother had just had a baby, his grandfather was dying. He you know, family would have to leave the residence. He just you know, so he did not tell the truth to the police. It was some time later that they they, as I said, they swabbed the blood on his legs and they claim they allege I don't know because we haven't tested it to but they alleged that one of those one swap one drop of blood on his shin tested as an AB type blood and his blood was oh and Janet Downings was AB. Now they never did DNA on it. We never determined if it was Janet Downing's blood or not. But they determined that because that blood was a match, and his fingerprints were found in Janet Downing's blood on the back of that door when he closed the door, that not only was he the prime suspect, he was the one and only suspect from the minute he called in to the police, from midnight convenient until he was tried and convicted two years later. They never ever.
Speaker 1: Think, I said, is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic one. I can I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there. I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: No be necessary, d I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: You're dedicated to building a bright financial future. Grow your investments with Millibank's high Yield Savings account. Earn a highly competitive annual percentage yield with no fees or minimums. Getting started is simple to download the app, link your account and start growing your money. Welcome to a new way to save more for the things that matter most. Welcome to Millibank, visit Milli dot bank or download the milliapp today.
Speaker 4: Look at another suspect.
Speaker 8: At the same time, the uh or To and his wife Carol, they say said that there was something about a the wishes of Janet, that they wanted that Janet would want them to have her car and to to continue taking care of their home and raise their children. Even so with that audacious claim to try to get their stuff, still never raised any red flags with anybody in law enforcement. Did it.
Speaker 4: Law enforcement didn't know about it because they told that. They told that to Gina Mahoney. The next day, the day after Janet's murder, Artie came by and said, listen, Janet told her me. We had a long talk, and she told me if anything ever happened to her, that she wanted me to have her car. And you know, Gina thought, this guy is delusional. She was terrified with you. She would never have done that, and that she even wanted us to move back into the house and take care of her children. And that was all the info that Gina had that the police said they didn't need.
Speaker 8: Right now. Also, what happens is that in short order, again Eddie's cooperating and his father's cooperating, and he submits to the sodium amatal, so the truth serum, and what's the results of that, even though it's not admissile, what's the results from that?
Speaker 4: The results of that were that he told the exact same story before he was administered any truth serum and after he was administered truth serum, and the results by the PhD psychologists who administered the test said that he was being truthful and that he had not committed this crime.
Speaker 8: Now they realize that there's nothing. There's the person, the keys were in the kitchen counter, there's no robbery. Right, What is their initial idea, because quickly they have some kind of id that what this crime was all about. And of course that changed. Wait, is it initially they think that there could be a motive or reason for Initially? Initially they said.
Speaker 4: Initially. District Attorney Tom Riley, who personally oversaw the investigation and personally litigated the case. He was the elected district Attorney for the County of Middlesex, he said, we have no idea as to motive. It's going to take us a while to figure out motive. And that was there was no suggestion of motive. Really, there was a complete perplexed. Everybody was perplexed, including the investigators as to motive until the psychologists who evaluated Eddie in the juvenile facility for the court. The court ordered a psychological evaluation until the psychologist submitted his report in December and said, you know what's striking is the absence of motive and uh, it was once that report was submitted and the district attorney realized what trouble he was in, even though he doesn't have to prove motives, immediately came up with theories of a motive. And his theory started with that Eddie had an unusual interest in in Janet Downing, that he was more curious about her than he should have been. And then it evolved into that this interest had a sexual overtime to it. And you know, by the middle of the of this, the transfer hearings and the course that this case took in the juvenile court, you know he was he was a full blown sexual predator essentially, is what they were trying to say. And that of course never never held water with anybody and was not ever presented at his adult trial because it was just not provable. Uh there there, you know, but they went with the most they went. By the time they got to the adult court and did the adult trial, they went back to he had an unusual interest in her.
Speaker 8: Now that was what the biggest motiv The biggest issue of this when you and the reason why you call it politics of murder, is that there are some changes in juvenile law, incredible changes, so I'm going to get you to tell us what was before, what was the juvenile law and the split sentencing, and then talk about why there were changes in the juvenile law and why at this time and why Riley, and tell us about the politics of murder.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of talk at the time and about the super predators about running our inner cities, running you know, crazy through our inner cities and killing innocent people. And we have to titan and toughen the juvenile laws. And the governor at the time, Governor Bill Weld, was very much in favor that, as was Attorney General General Riley. I mean, yeah, I'm sorry, District Attorney Riley. And at the same time, Governor Well was seeking to run for a Senate seat and mister Riley was seeking to run for the Attorney General's office in preparation for eventually running for governor. And this was a perfect storm, a perfect cause to come to the people with that you know, we're going to get tough on juvenile crime and we support these laws. So that the law used to be that if you were under the age of sixteen, that the government had if you were between the ages of fourteen and sixteen, you could not be charged with murder and adult court if you were sixteen or sixteen and above, the government could come in and prove that you were not a good candidate for rehabilitation and asked that you be transferred to adult court. While Eddie was in the system, those laws changed, and they changed as a direct result of this case and some others that had occurred in downtown Boston, and so that eventually what we ended up was with the law that juveniles as young as fourteen can be tried in adult court, and that it was their obligation to prove to a juvenile judge if they were between fourteen and sixteen, it was the juveniles obligation to prove that he could be rehabilitated. So you can see what the conundrum was for Eddie O'Brien. He had to prove that he could be rehabilitated from a murder he didn't commit. Plus, they were creating a whole new juvenile court system, and so the courts were in flux. And then there was split sentencing where you could they could sentence you and you do part of your time as a juvenile part of your time as an adult. And Eddie was one of the first people to be uh to be subjected to that law. And the governor was vocal in his support of that law as Eddie's case was pending and referring to the case, and the governor was appointing judges to the Supreme Court of Massachusetts who would who would rule on that case, and and and he was appearing in rallies with the Downing family standing beside him, and it was pretty spectacular.
Speaker 8: Now, you talk about we won't be able to cover everything, but you talk about some really glaring non evidence here in that he claims to have worn some clothes and he's in the same clothes. So you give us the three or four points that you have that seemed to be incredulous that Riley, despite his political aspirations, should still be an acting district attorney with some kind of moral, you know, ethical boundaries. And so what is he ignoring in your view that's so glaring in terms of evidence.
Speaker 4: A couple of things that he's ignoring. One is is that for Eddie to have changed his clothes, they seized his clothes, the clothes he had on that night, they seized them. They were the same clothes he had been wearing all day no blood on them, and white T shirt with no blood, sneaker with no blood. And they say, well, you know, that's easy. He must have changed his clothes and that so how did he change his clothes? And into what and when and where he would have had to change his clothes hide his old, sweaty clothes. And then you know, anybody who committed the person who committed this crime, or the people that committed this crime, if it was more than one person were covered in blood head to toe, in their hair, under their fingernails, on their eyes, on their eye lashes, they would take more than a shower to get the blood off of you. So he's claiming that he walked out of this scene covered in blood somehow put in his old clothes without getting any blood on them, and without having the opportunity to shower. And it was just ludicrous, ludicrous. So and the timeline, you know, I mean, how how he's ignoring the timeline, he's ignoring the fact that there's no suggestion that he ever changed clothes. People saw him at nine p fifteen in these clothes, They saw him at ten o'clock in these clothes, and there was no change of clothes, and they're also ignoring the fact that he didn't have time to do any of the things that needed to be done in order to change his clothes and murder somebody and then come out with out any blood not only on his clothes, but on him anywhere at least around his cuticles, under his fingernails. Nothing.
Speaker 8: Let's talk about the murder weapon and the conclusive conclusiveness of that in terms of being the smoking gun here, how strong or weak is the murder weapon evidence?
Speaker 4: Well, the Commonwealth, the District Attorney alleged that or this theory was that Eddie had committed this murder with a three inch pocket pen knife, and meaning the blade was three inches long and then the handle was another two and a half inches. Let's say it was a very small decorative knife. And they made that allegation because they found a piece of metal which they said would have been the hilt to that knife that Eddie had shown other people at some time previous to this. The Again, it's the wounds that Janet Downing suffered, Some of them were up to four inches deep, which would have meant that and the knife Eddie had had two hilts, not just one. They found one hilp, so that the perpetrator, if he used Eddie's knife, or if Eddie were the perpetrator had used the knife, he would have had to have downing with a three inch knife and gone one inch into the handle with one of the hilts still on it. And there was no evidence of any markings of that kind, no bruising around any of the stab wounds that she had, and some of them were four inches deep. One wound went through her chest, severed two ribs and punctured her lung and went into her liver. I believe that's how deep it was. You just can't do that with a three inch blade. It was five eighths of an inch wide, and some of the wounds were twice that wide, So it didn't make any sense that that would be the murder weapon. But that's what he went with. That's and he got his conviction with them.
Speaker 8: Before we get to any kind of conviction, we've got to talk about steps along the way and the brave people that came and gave you interviews and gave you the information for be able to do this incredible expose. As we talked about, you interviewed Richard Barnum you did interviews with family, you got grand eury minutes, and you butt more importantly, you interviewed Judge Paul Hefferman, the presiding judge in these transfer cases. So the transfer is to see if he's going to be raised to adult court. Judge Paul Hefferman as the judge. How does it proceed with Judge Paul Hefferman before we talk about jump ahead, that tell us what he said at the time, what he was asked to do at the time.
Speaker 4: Judge Heppernon heard the transfer hearing and he weighed all the evidence and he determined that even if Eddie had committed this crime, that he certainly was a candidate for rehabilitation and had no history of mental illness and was found to be have no mental illness and no need for any mental health care by the psychologist appointed by the court psychiatrist appointed by the court. Judge Heffernan determined that he should remain in the juvenile system, where if found guilty, he would have done time in ju juvenile detention until his twenty first birthday, at which point he would have been transferred to an adult jail or prison for another fifteen years after that. In other words, even if if he'd been found guilty as a juvenile and Judge Heffernan had not been removed from the case, he would be out of jail by now. He'd be free. Judge Heffernan. However, a week after he made his decision, he was called by a fellow judge who told him that the judges above them had made it clear that unless he changed his opinion, he would be removed from the case. Judge Heffernan, and thank God for Judge Heffernan, because he's the only one who tried to stop this train wreck. Judge Heffernan's response was, I would rather walk naked through Sullivan's station than change my opinion. Let them do what they have to do. And he just sat back. And so the District Attorney appealed the heffern In decision and asked that heffer be removed. The Supreme Court sent it back to Judge Heffernan to consider additional evidence. Judge Heffernan. The district attorney presented a motion for rechoosal, asking Judge Heffernan to step down. Judge Heffernan denied that he refused to step down and he said they would proceed with taking new evidence as ordered by the Supreme Court, and at which point the District Attorney appealed the judge's denial of his motion up to the Supreme Court, who had already considered he had asked already to have Judge Heffernan removed, and the Supreme Court declined to do that, although they had been told that he was going to be removed, and so after the second appeal and Judge Heffernan refused to voluntarily recuse himself, the Supreme Court ordered him off the case.
Speaker 8: You talk about the political aspirations when you talk about Judge hefferman In. His friend and longtime colleague, Judge Soul had spoken to him in a week later called him again and said listen, we need you to change this. They want you to change this decision. Yet they still remain friends. But it demonstrates and illustrates how important this was for the political aspirations of Riley, the DA and the governor had other aspirations as well well. This is you talk about to make a claim of manipulation.
Speaker 4: Judge Zohl was not the person who was asking or suggesting that Heffernan should change his decision. He was Judge Zohl's immediate supervist. He was Judge Heffernan's immediate supervisor. He was the one who got the call from up above saying have him change his opinion, and he told they were friends. He said, I'm not going to change my opinion. Judge Zohel I think applauded him for standings, for standing his ground and saying I'm not going to do what they want done politically because it's not it's wrong legally. Yes, so Ja Zoel's a good guy, is what I wanted to say right.
Speaker 8: Now. You also talk about again, manipulation is what the word you use. So this is a strong word manipulation, impropriety, some of these things that any other way of calling a travesty of justice. And also with this doctor Richard Barnum, and something very interesting legally adding making a forty one page report assessing whether he can be rehabilitated, Eddie O'Brien, but just addendum and then so explain them the actual manipulation that you describe with Riley and with this Barnum and what they want to do and how they twist some information and try they do not get it through with Hefferman, but they're still always trying to get a certain amount of information tell us about that manipulation and what that information is that they've tried to squeeze out of.
Speaker 6: Dubious sources.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: That actually happened after Hefferingon had made his decision. They immediately well after the I'm sorry, it wasn't after they made his decision. It was after doctor Barnum produced his first report noting that there was an alarming absence of motive here and no mental illness, and it was a very confusing situation. And d A. Riley immediately met with him and and told him, oh, oh, well, then you don't know about the fact that that that he was questioned when some of his friends put a mailbox on fire, And you don't know about all the things that we should have told you about. There was a laundry list of things that he came forward with that he had every opportunity to talk to Barnum about at any point during his three month investigation, But only after he submitted his report did he determine that these things should be shared with doctor Barnum. They were completely in my opinion, this is all my opinions based on what I see as the evidence. He gave Barnum a list of things that would be troublesome, for instance, some allegations of watching women undress and being concerned about whether or not Janet Downing was having a lesbian relationship with one of the one of her best friends, or things, you know, just things that would were of absolutely no consequence or import or relationship to this case that he suddenly decided to throw into the mix. And essentially, uh, he the district Attorney Riley, had Barnum go and interview all these people to give him these stories. Uh. And none of those stories were ever proven to be true, and none of them were ever ever raised at his actual trial because they were not based in fact. So uh, that's you know, it's best basically trying to create a motive, and that's what he was trying to do.
Speaker 8: But in.
Speaker 4: Doctor Barnum made it clear to me that he felt that he had felt the political pressure of the case. I mean, it was in the newspaper every day, everybody was talking about it. There was nothing positive ever being printed about Eddie. Everything was negative. It was all coming from the quote unquote police sources and degative sources and things like that. Nothing was coming out of Eddie's side to say the things that I'm saying now, for instance, so the public's view. And I think I pointed this out when I showed that virtually there was only one person in a pool of two hundred and seventy five people who were considered for jury duty in this case that had not heard about this case. Thirty three percent of those people had already decided he was guilty and had to be excused without a piece of evidence being heard. The case against him was a foregone conclusion. It had been tried in the press by that point. And I asked Barnum about that, and I asked him about why he changed his opinion, because in his addendum to his report, which was twice as long as his original report, he decided no, Eddie O'Brien wasn't amenable to rehabilitation, and that just never sat right. I mean, that felt to me that he was capitulating to the political pressure that he was feeling. He was the director of a court clinic at that point, he was a government employee, etc. He said to me that yes, he felt the political pressure. Basically, he changed his opinion because by the time this Eddie was we got to this point in the proceedings, Eddie was now seventeen years old, not fifteen when he first met him, and he would be aging out of the juvenile system at eighteen now, so that there was no point to talk about rehabilitation because by the time his adult trial took place, he would be too old to be in the juvenile system. So, I mean, I just I asked him, why didn't you just say that, Why didn't you just say, you know, I don't need to write an addendum. I can just tell you that there's no system that can provide rehabilitation if he needs rehabilitation in the time that he has left in the juvenile system. And he said, that's a very good point. Maybe that's what I should have said, because essentially it raised the whole course of the case because once he wrote that addendum, Heffrinon refused to accept that addendum into evidence, and that's what started the appeal process, and that's what the Supreme Court remanded the case for to say that Judge Heffernan should consider Barnum's addendum. That's why that's sent back. And I believe that the judges in authority were hoping that Heffrinon would quietly step away voluntarily, and he was not going to do that. He was not going to betray his moral stance that he had made the right decision and I'm not going to capitulate to political power.
Speaker 8: Now, you talk about DNA in nineteen ninety six being in its infancy in comparison to now and day developments in the turn of the century, what was the forensic evidence other than what could be explained away by Eddie O'Brien's story of touching her and touching this and touching that. You talk about DNA under Janet's fingerprint fingernails. Tell us about all the DNA this is the evidence is very strong. Tell us what the DNA evidence was. The forensic evidence was.
Speaker 4: The DNA forensic evidence is for Eddie's DNA was completely consistent with his story that his DNA was found on those fingerprints, and every completely consistent with the story he told after right after the crime, when he it was two weeks later that he told what really happened and he admitted that he had seen this guy and that he had run from this. He stayed in jail. He didn't even tell his parents because he was so afraid for their safety. H And finally after two weeks he told them and he said, listen, I did go in there. But anyway, that all of the DNA that was found, that that was attribute built to Eddie was consistent with his story, completely consistent with his story. The DNA under Janet's fingernails, Eddie is excluded as the primary source of that DNA. There's a DNA of Janet and another DNA unidentified DNA on the alleged murder weapon, the alleged hilt of the knife that they found, the metal piece. Eddie was completely excluded from as a contributor to DNA on that, But there is an unidentified male DNA on that hilt and Janet Downing's DNA, so he is not tied to the murder weapon by DNA. He is not tied to under Janet's fingernails, which is the first source of DNA that they looked for, because that's what she bought for her life with. They didn't even test the DNA under her fingernails until right before the adult trial. I think, well, I don't know, I don't know why. My opinion again, is they didn't do it because they knew it would not be Eddie's and they wanted to wait until the last possible moment before they revealed that that DNA was not hers, and their expert witness testified that it basically, in her opinion, the DNA was inconclusive, which is not allowed into evidence. If it's inconclusive, it's not allowed into evidence. So it never should have gone in if it was inconclusive. There's definitely identifiable DNA that is not Eddie's on the murder weapon.
Speaker 8: Now, you mentioned Gina and her finally getting to speak, and Vicki and Barry. But despite all of this, what's the conclusion in adult court? Before we talk about your interviews with Eddie, your continuing correspondence with him, tell us a little bit about what's the result of this trial. Despite what you just mentioned.
Speaker 4: The DNA evidence just never came into evidence that way. It was. First of all, there was a big failure of his defense counsel at trial. He never he never had any of these exhibits or pieces of vdence tested independently, and so he too could have had the DNA under Janet Singer nails tested, but did not so there there is some blame to go around. What what happened at trial? What and what happened at trial was that the evidence did not come in that clearly, so that the DNA evidence, as I said, uh, the jurors. Jurors were overwhelmed with it and and uh, and it was it was very confusing. His own attorney did not capitalize on the fact that Eddie's DNA was absent from the two most important places that it should have been found, either in his opening or his closing statement. He alluded to it in his cross examination, but frankly, it appeared to me that he didn't understand that Eddie's DNA was excluded from this. He got the reports very late, and I don't think he was completely familiar with them for what they meant. He didn't have his own expert to explain them to him. The only real thing they came out at trial was that there was on the hilt of the knife the DNA was identifiable, and it was not Eddie's. As to Janet's fingernails, that was never really an issue at trial. It just slipped by and slipped in as inconclusive. But in fact the report is clear that he is excluded, it's not inconclusive, and I didn't have the report at the time. I didn't know that. I didn't know that until I read it this year when I was writing the book. His parents didn't know that until I read it this year when I was writing the book. Many of these things were complete revelations to me, and I had been with the case since the very beginning. I did not understand that I had no access to the reports. I wasn't given the reports or the evidence, and I trusted that his attorney was doing what he needed to do and was presenting whatever evidence in Eddie's favor there was. But in fact, there was a lot of evidence in Eddie's favor, including the fact that there was communication between the District Attorney's office and the laboratory where they did a preliminary DNA test on the help of the knife A year four. At EA's trial, herman at his DNA was not on it, and he stopped all further testing until further notice, but didn't tell the defense that they had done a preliminary test, and then they told the trial judged that they had just sent that hilt out for testing. A couple of weeks into July of the before his September trial, when in fact that had been sent out for testing a year before and they knew his DNA was not on it and was not going to come up on it. So the final report issued saying his DNA was not on it, but that was news to his defense attorney. It was only me comparing the reports and the correspondence between the lab and the district Attorney's office that I realized they learned that his DNA wasn't on that a year before that, and then they ordered all further testing seek to cease so that they didn't have to produce a report and that would have gone into the juvenile case.
Speaker 8: We've got just a few minutes to tell the story left in this interview. You interview. You start off as guardian ad litem, but your relationship morphs into something much more. He grows up literally, physically and psychologically. Tell us briefly the correspondence who he is, who has become, and what your relationship is and how he is dealing with life without the possibility of parole. Before we talk about the one bright spot in this story, which is the Innocents Project.
Speaker 4: You have to meet Eddie. You have to meet him. He's a remarkable, remarkable kid. You have to understand that he's been in jail for he almost twenty two years, and he was only on the outside for fifteen years. He was a baby when he went into prison, and he has been incarcerated every day since then. He has He was going into a sophomore year of high school when he was incarcerated. He missed high school. He is self educated. He has spent his years in jail educating himself through voracious reading. He reads tons of history books. Is he stays current on political issues, and he's very, very opinionated about political issues and has very strong feelings about things. He's got a wonderful sense of humor. When I first met Eddie, he was a little kid. He blushed every time I talked to him. Okay, cheeks would turn bright red. He would stare at his sneakers, he would smile. You know, he just he was a child. He was he was such a young adolescent, you know, with no experience whatsoever in the ways of the world. His neighborhood was a pretty protected little neighborhood, and you know, and he had a little group of friends that he hung with since he was a toddler. You know, his life was completely different. He was incarcerated with violent juveniles who had murdered and who would murder again. He was with kids who had mental health problems, learning disabilities, all kinds of behavioral issues. That's where he grew up. That's where he learned, and you know, that's who he had to socialize with. And he does not call jail the real world. He knows what the real world is. The real world is his friend are his friends and his family outside of prison. They have stuck by him completely for the last twenty one plus years. He talks to his parents every single day on the phone. I think twice a day. He speaks to his siblings every day, one or more of them. He's a godfather to his nieces and nephews, not nephews, no nephews. Yet the babies come to visit him. They know him his uncle Eddie. He you know, he has just done everything he can to remain as socialized as he can with people from the outside. He deals with life the way you have to deal with it. You have to take it one day at a time. Nothing is guaranteed. And he said that was the most important lesson he learned. When he arrived in a dope prison. Some old timers took him under their wing, and they taught him how to do time. And that's what he said to me. He said, I wouldn't have made it if they hadn't taught me how this, how to do time. He's patient, you know, he is funny. He he loves to joke around. He loves to call, he loves to find call me out when I'm wrong, and and and uh, you know, needle me about it. He argues with me. Sometimes, he gets angry with me if I don't agree with him. Sometimes he you know, he's a normal kid. He's not a kid now, he's a man. He's thirty six years old, he's got gray hair. He's not that little kid anymore. He knows. He's very, very why so wise. He's so much wiser than I was at thirty six. And he was so much younger at fifteen than I was at fifteen. It's unbelievable. But he's just a wonderful guy. He proudly, proudly calls himself a Roman Catholic. He belongs to a Rosary group. He goes to the ass every Sunday. He's never stopped doing that. These are not things he does because he hopes to get paroles someday, because he knows that's not going to happen for him. He does these things because this is what makes his life worth living.
Speaker 8: Just to wrap up what the Innocence Project was interested in this case? What was the status of the case for them? What is it for Eddie O'Brien.
Speaker 4: The it's the it's called the Innocence Program. It's a different it's a state program that is very much aligned with the national program which is called the Innocence Project. This is called the Innocence Program, and he h Eddie has Eddie has a team of lawyers that he's working with and they are actively working with him, and it certainly is a ray of hope. For years, he's had really not no representation. He's never filed anything. He got a direct appeal automatically, because everybody who sentenced to life without parole gets an automatic appeal. That's the only thing he's really filed. He has many, many, many appellate, very very strong appellate issues in that legal issues that that will be brought to life, I'm sure by his legal team, and they're working very hard at that as we speak. So it's an open case and and you know, I would I just can't wait until there is some some more movement, and I would love to see the case, the investigation reopened, because I don't I want to know who is it that killed Janet Downing, and I would hope that her family wants to know that. And I know that they've been convinced that this that Eddie must be the true murderer because he was convicted and because they were told that, but they weren't told all of the things that I discovered when I went through the entire file. And I think the Janet Downing deserves that much respect that that we would find her a real killer and bring her real killer to justice. Now that may or may not free Eddie. There are lots of stories of people confessing to murders that other people are doing time for and the court's still not letting them out. You know, it's a very arbitrary and uphill situation trying to undo a wrongful conviction. But I have every confidence in the world that that's going to happen in this case. And I know that because I've you know, I know Eddie, and I know Eddie can stick with something until the right thing happens, and he I just believe, you know, I believe that this is going to happen, and I believe he is going to be returned to a normal life. And if I didn't believe that, I would have a really hard time putting my head on the pillow every night.
Speaker 8: Now, before we let you go, this is a wild Loop Press release. And for those that might want to contact you or see some of your other work, do you do a website? Tell us how people might contact you or see your other work.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a website called the Politics of Murder dot com. The Politics of Murder dot com also Margo Nash dot com and the most material that you can find, including other writings that I've done and and reviews of the book, you can find at www wabou press dot com under the author profile.
Speaker 8: Well, I want to thank you very much Margot for coming on and talking about this Expose the Politics of Murder. Fascinating story. Thank you very much and you have a great night.
Speaker 4: Thank you Dan for having me.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Hello, Savor. Whether you're saving for that trip to the tropics or saving for an emergency. Now is the time to take advantage of Wells Fargo's savings options. Wells Fargo offers savings accounts that can help you save towards your goals. So what are you saving for? Visit a Wells Fargo branch or Wells Fargo dot com slash save to open a savings account today.
Speaker 2: Wells Fargo Bank NA member FDIC