Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave Media podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Blake, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm cold, Ben, because I don't have a Monster Talk T shirt.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what would be really cool, Blake, would be if there was a Talk T shirt. Yes, that's just That's just what I was thinking. Why why don't we have somebody designed a T shirt?
Speaker 1: Blake?
Speaker 3: But Ben, who could we ask?
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Let me think, don don Hey, I have an idea, Blake. Why don't we hold a contest and we'll have our listeners, many of whom are very creative and frankly much better artists and are smarter than we are, and ask them to submit some designs for our super cool, awesome Monster Talk T shirt.
Speaker 3: I like this idea, but how can we properly incentivize our listeners to participate?
Speaker 2: That's a great question, Blake. Let me think, Hey, I know me. We could offer prizes for first, second, and third place designs, and of course, the grand prize, the best one, will be put on a Monster Talk T shirt. What do you think of that, Blake?
Speaker 3: I think we should use the losers too.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that's great idea. Well, why don't we do this? Why don't we have an official monster Talk T shirt contest challenge Thingy will have like the deadline be the end of the year.
Speaker 4: The twenty twelve Monster Dog T Shirt Contest Thingy. Submit your designs to contest at monsterdog dot org. Deadline for inch Fury December thirty first, twenty eleven. Winners to be selected in January.
Speaker 3: Chances are they're not what you think they are. All your life, you've been shown images of genies as powerful magical entities which have, through one method or another, been trapped in a lamp or a ring, and are forced to do the bidding of anyone who possesses such items. But those so called genies have about as much to do with traditional Gin of Arabic folklore as Casper the friendly ghost has to do with the Shining. Here's the most important difference between the genie from pop culture and the creatures called gin. Many people all over the world believe that gin are real, often malevolent creatures, which are responsible for hauntings and possession. They fit the cultural niche that ghosts and demons fill in Western culture, and are generally not at all the sort of creature you'd want to let out of a bottle or encounter in a desolate valley or an abandoned home. And while they inspired I Dream of Genie and Disney's Aladdin, they also fuel the writings of HP Lovecraft and Robert E.
Speaker 4: Howard.
Speaker 3: So sit back and prepare to uncork a bottle of gin on this episode of Monster Talk. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, very creature Part eight, part of mat.
Speaker 4: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster tal.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and together with Ben Radford, we're going to chat with author Robert Lebling about his new book, Legends of the Fire Spirits. It's a very comprehensive book about the folklore surrounding creatures known as jin. Of course, Ben and I are skeptics, and Lebling's book presents the legends, folklore and modern anecdotes from a neutral stance. He's living in Saudi Arabia in a culture where these entities are not only believed by the public, but also endorsed by the Koran and by Islam. Listeners to Monstertog will recognize that I have an affinity for tales of the paranormal and the supernatural, and so do my co hosts. If you're into that sort of thing, I think you'll find Lebling's book a fascinating read. We don't have him on to debate the existence of these entities, but to talk about the legends. Some of the tales of gen will describe phenomena similar to a haunting, others to possession, yet others to fairy tales and folk tales, and even alien abduction stories. All of these classes of phenomena are familiar to skeptical paranormal enthusiasts, but it's fascinating to hear these same kinds of experiences atributed to an entirely different entity. I find that interesting as a skeptic and as an enthusiast of anthropology and psychology. I suspect you will too if you give his book a read. Let's get to our interview with Robert Leveling.
Speaker 4: Right now more obstrutal.
Speaker 3: What led you to become interested in GEN?
Speaker 1: I suppose my interest in the Middle East probably led to that. I'm interested in anthropology and did some study in college and started to hear stories over here in Saudi Arabia and other countries in the region, and I became interested in finding out what was behind the stories. So I did started to research into it, and I've got access to a very good library of old material and new material, and from there I decided I start my own Yahoo group and start chatting with people about it, and before you know it, the Gin Group was born, and from that I started collecting material. Over the years. It's been still it goes back to the nineteen nineties, because I've been here since ninety four in Saudi Arabia and it's now it's just one of those things that it's kind of hard to shake. So I've been you know. I decided eventually the material I collected was worth putting into a book, and after working on it through a number of iterations with my editor at ib Taurus, we finally found something that we thought would work, a narrative history, and so that's where we are. We've told what we think is the origins and the and the scope of the Gin phenomenon around the world world, primarily in the Muslim and Arabic speaking world. But I don't know. There's more. I've collected so much material over the years about other supernatural phenomena, spirit creatures and the like, that may spin those into another book at another time, drawing and discussing the parallels between the genie or the Gin phenomenon and those of other countries, for example, a Celtic tradition the elves and fairies and so forth, Yeah, and so forth.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you know, I've read your book, of course, Legends of the Fire Spirits, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It just it had such good, rich historical context, in anthropological context. It was fascinating to me to read an account of Gin that was in depth and scholarly, because a lot of the stuff that I'd read about because you know, this is one of my just and so much of with just sort of superficial, you know, mentions in passing. And I was struck by the research that that went into it. Now, can you talk a little bit about that research.
Speaker 1: Well, I started collecting stories and and talking to people in Saudi Arabia, particularly about what how they perceived the Gin. It's a question of perception clearly, and and of of explanation. How do you explain phenomena that that are puzzling and perhaps don't fit into your into the normal experiences of your life. The people of the Middle East and the greater Islamic world believe firmly that gin are real creatures. They are this this comes primarily from from the the passages in the Quran, the Holy Book of Islam, that that verify the existence of genies for Muslims. And you know, for us in the West, it's kind of it's an alien concept, but there were things about it that really it seems similar to phenomena that I was seeing in other countries. And I was also interested in comparing how the how the Gin behaved with with the alien phenomenon in the United States, alien abductions and so forth. In the Middle East, the Gin do the same kind of abducting as as aliens in Western culture are said to do. And so I thought there were there might be some parallels here and things worth exploring. And I started digging deeper into the material, and before you knew it, I'd come up with a plan, and I put it down on paper and moved from there The people that I know in Saudi Arabia who believe in the Gin phenomenon are very reasonable, ordinary folk, and the fact that they take this so seriously indicates to me that I should at least try to understand where they're coming from. And that's what the book is about, an attempt to understand how people can believe in a phenomenon like this, and what does it mean for them? And does it have more meaning than simply a fireside story. Is it more than something to scare kids with in the evenings, or is there something to it that is deeply embedded in human nature? And I think there is, I really do. I think that the belief in in Gin here. I've compared it among the number of societies and in some cases, I mean, it takes a while to get into the Gin phenomenon. But there are evil Gin and good Gin. There are the Gin r a creature of a sentient being with the ability to distinguish right from wrong, the ability to act on free will and make choices. And some of them end up being believers in God or a higher power, can be any religion. Others reject religion, and yet they're inextricably linked with it because they associate themselves with the devil, and you have the evil gin are they fall into several categories. You've got the effrite, well, actually you got a lesser category called the Chatans, which simply means the Satans like demons. Then they're the Afrite, which are are often larger and more frightening than the Chatans. And then you have the Marids, which are the largest and most powerful of all gin. And all these beliefs in evil gins are balanced by a belief that there are good gin. Some of them become partners of people and protect them. Some of them protect houses like the old and the old Roman concept of the genii or the genius household deity. And so we have to have all these kinds of things going on at the same time, and it's it's kind of interesting to try and separate them out and figure out, you know, why somebody belie use in this sort of thing, and why and to what extent it prevails. I mean, you'll find some people who will tell you that they think this is these are all fairy stories, or or they're like that they're not really they're not really true. And then yet you will find these same people are uh, will be frightened to go into an empty house for fear of disturbing the Gin. And and also they'll use you use religious formulas to protect them from the Gin under many, many circumstances.
Speaker 2: So how seriously are the Gin taken? I mean, as you said, some people, some people believe in them, and others don't. Is it is it a case of where all good Muslims necessarily believe in the existence of Gin, or is it a case for example, Well, for example, I mean that one analogy that I got from the book was in some ways you might compare Gin to demons or angels, probably demons in the Bible, where you know, not all Christians necess already literally believe in the existence of angels, but many of them do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, now, this is right. If you talk to a westernized a Muslim in this part of the world, they'll often tell you that there may perhaps be a metaphorical explanation for the Gin. There are some interpretations that say GIN could be simply bad people or unusual people. There are some who feel that who don't accept the concept at all. I mean, you have a complete spectrum of people. The more religious the people are, the more they tend to believe in it. The more traditional they are, the more they tend to believe in it. And we have a lot of traditional people here in Saudi Arabia, and they tend to tend to accept it. In fact, the government of Saudi Arabia is very very opposed to the the notion of black magic, which would be the kind of sorcery or magic that summons gin to do your bidding. That can be a criminal offense here. In fact, in some cases you can be sentenced to death for it, which indicates that they believe it's not simply a case of fraud but of a person trying to defraud someone by by claiming that they have access to the gin and can tap their powers, but rather that they that indeed it is a real threat and it's a threat to goodness and really disbelief.
Speaker 3: So so how is how is the the Arabian gin concept different from like the Western eyes version of the genie in the bottle?
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's pretty much entertainment. And you do find that in the culture here. If you go back to the Arabian Nights tales, there are a number of those there. There are genies and bottles, but they're only a small it's a small, uh small fraction of of Gin belief, and it really is is purely for entertainment. The storytellers will tell stories about Gin who have have these powers and that you can you can call on them to do these do things for you. But in terms of day to day life, nobody here expects to come across a bottle with a genie in it on the beach. What they what they think will happen, is that they might encounter Gin in in remote places, places that are desolate ruins, archaeological ruins for example, uh sewers, dark places, caves.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that. I that was actually one of my questions was it seems like they inhabit abandoned places in that way, in in that particular way, they sort of fulfill the same niche as ghosts do here in the US. For people, it's a haunted thing of it haunts ruined places. Is there more belief in Gin than ghosts in Saudi Arabia or they don't.
Speaker 1: There isn't a belief in ghosts as we know it, Okay, ghosts being spirits of the dead. At least I haven't come across it. Anytime someone will tell you that an abandoned old building is haunted, it's haunted by gin. And gin are not considered to be the spirits of the dead. They are a separate species of being, an intelligent being that lives on earth with man. In fact, lives in other places as well, perhaps in another dimension. Perhaps since they're invisible frequently, it's hard to tell where they where they hang out, but there are stories about about that. But the Gin have the ability to pass from invisibility to visibility, and they do that through means that though we can't explain, and there's some people I think my book indicates some people who tried to speculate as to whether perhaps the Gin are visible in spectra that we can't see the infrared or the ultra violet. Infrared generally for gin and ultra violet for angels. Is the way that people in this part of the world look at it. Anyone who tries to find a scientific explanation for these creatures. But they live, they guard treasure, they live in abandoned places. They and yet at the same time, the Gena are known as as a tribal people. They are said to live to have families and like human beings and tribal groups clans. There have been stories of them doing the pilgrimage to Mecca by camel caravan, people encountering them in the desert, So there are they have a whole lot of a whole range of actions and experiences that they go a little bit beyond haunting. They also seem to have the ability to possess human beings, much as a demon would in the Western tradition, the exorcist kind of thing. And there are people in this country and in others in the area, religiously oriented people, religious scholars and so forth, who specialize in helping to exercise demons from afflicted people. This gets into the area of psychology, of course, and some people. There are cases of people who have gone through psychiatric treatment without benefit and then went to a religious leader and were exercised and were cured. Of course, there are probably many cases where that doesn't happen, but there are people will do talk about that. So you have possession as one another aspect, and well you have a whole lot of things. The origin of gin are getting go way back. I mean, this is not something that started with Islam, even though the Islamic faith confirmed the existence of gen as. The people here would say they go back at least as far as the ancient Sumerians, and and there were there were a number of Oh, I guess they were. One would consider them early deities, perhaps nature spirits, wind gods and that sort of thing who eventually became gin. And you hear about the the demon of the Exorcist the movie and and the book was that is thought to be an early gin form. He he comes out of the basu uh is comes out of the hot desert wind. And that is one interpretation of how the gin are born or or created. Generally, people here believed that they were they're created from smokeless fire, that God originally created them from smokeless fire, like he was is supposed to have created man out of clay. But they there are some who believe that that the that the Gin actually come from hot desert, the scorching desert wind. But for the purposes in my book that when I call them fire spirits, I'm referring to that origin, not that they have any connection with fire. Now, just as humans would not be considered to be clay creatures. But it simply identifies their origin and the views of most people in this part of the world.
Speaker 2: Getting back to you're talking about how it was originally associated with the winds and stuff it was. It struck me reading the book that in many ways, the gin come from a long tradition of blaming sort of the supernatural or natural other for bad things that happened. You know, you have drop, you have sandstorms, you have bad areas or areas where where wise travelers either don't go or tread very lightly, and it seems like that the gin reside in those places. And so in some ways it seems like the gin are used as other monsters are throughout the world, as well as sort of a boogeyman, you know, watch out, you know, if you if you don't stay too far off the path, because you know, bad things will happen to you. And you also talk for example, about how about how gin are said to appear in the form of snakes, and that there's a prohibition against killing snakes because well, don't don't kill a snake because if it turns out to be a gin, you're going to be in bad trouble. So it's sort of again sort of the the social control aspect of of of gene. Can you can you talk a little about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's this. They can take the form of many things. Snakes is one of the most common.
Speaker 5: But uh.
Speaker 1: There the fact that I mean the number of stores is uh. In Islamic lore about people who have killed snakes and have been punished for it either gone before gin courts or or or been put to death or by by spirits or there are lots of ways that they could take revenge.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But the idea of in Islam is that if you if you have a doubt as to whether a creature is is actually a gin. If you if you see an animal and you think it perhaps is a gin, you use a religious formula. You recite a religious formula to determine if that's the case, generally what they call the bismela or in the name of God bislaman Rahim, in the name of God the compassionate and merciful. If you say something like that, and there are a number of other formulas, but that's the most common, the gin will flee from you and you won't have to worry about having to kill them. In the case of a snake, it would leave you or even insects in your house if if they happen to be jin and you recited one of these formulas, then they would leave you.
Speaker 3: Well, that's very similar to the way that Christians often deal with demonic forces. Is an incantation of hill Mary, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, and what you were saying about the about the forces of nature is actually, I think pretty pretty close to the case in some respects. Certainly there are all kinds of environmental hazards in this part of the world that it can be explained by by the by the intervention of supernatural creatures, and I think that's that probably is the case, but they're also there are also other there are explanations that that are not related to nature, and so we have we have all kinds here. The animal thing is is interesting. Shape shifting seems to be one of the characteristics of the most common characteristics of gin and why they would take one shape rather than another as hasn't really been well explained to people. But you do see them in just about every animal form except the wolf, and that is has is kind of mysterious. But there there is apparently the gin cannot or will not emulate a wolf, for some reason there there is a Gin creature in Yemen that does take the form of a wolf, and that's the sort of the exception that proves the rule. It's something called the Udrut and it appears on the scene when someone has been killed and there is blood, When there is some sort of a violent act and there is a dead person, the groot creature as a wolf will come and lurk and scare people. But it never does anything. I mean, it never attacks anyone. It's just a visible presence. That's the only time that I've ever come across Gin in the form of wolves, and that's only in Southern Arabia. In the other parts of Arabia that they would never the Gin would never take the form of a wolf.
Speaker 3: So is the scope culturally? Is the scope of the influence of Gin tied to Islamic culture or is it tied to North Africa or how do you think that plays out? Because I know there's a lot of shape shifting beliefs and sort of shamanistic parts of Africa, But I don't remember in Southern Africa, for example, hearing about Gin. I don't remember coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you do have the Gin in in certain parts of Africa, mostly ones where the influence of Islamic culture is uh the strong, particular areas where Arab traders came through, but and also in Nigeria up up near the Sahara where the influence came across the desert from the Berbers, the tware Eggs and other nomadic people. But North Africa has its own They have its own twist. The North Africans have their own twist on on Gin belief. Some of it's really interesting, UH that there's the famous character of a woman who is like a Lilith figure. In the book, we talk about Lilith as being not only creature of of Jewish law, an ancient Jewish law, but also of of Arabic law and also pre Islamic Arabic or because the ancient Babylonians have a Lilith figure, which would be a female that seduces men and and uh Greek's havoc on on babies and does a number of things very anti social things that that result from how that that legend developed the the Lilith creature. In fact, Lilith is sometimes viewed in the in the Babylonian tradition as a vampire, which maybe I mean there are some Middle Eastern parallels to to some of our famous Western monsters, and that that may be one. But the this Ayisha Candisha character in Morocco and Algeria, to a limited extent, Tunisia is is a very powerful force. This is like, uh it so along the lines of the incubus or succubus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly that.
Speaker 1: Seduces men particularly uh well, not just single men, but they seem to be particularly often victimized, but also married men because the tradition is of course that Lilith or Ayisha Kendisha as was, was rebuffed by well left Adam. Actually she made the choice to leave Adam because of her unwillingness to accept his domination during very sexual relations and because she wanted to be on top basically, and that that that belief that that she h in leaving Adam was filled with rage and and went to the Red Sea and made it with a number of demons and produced all kinds of evil gin Particularly this character, this Lilith character is in North Africa has become is named Ayisha Candisha, and she is there's even a band that's named after her. It's quite interesting how powerful that influence is. You also find character. You also find in Tunisia some some strange stuff. Uh. They have Gin of of the land, sea and air and and this is probably the only place where you'll really see an in depth portrayal of Gin as aquatic creatures. They're sort of like mirror creatures merman and mermaids. So that's that's really interesting. But it comes out of the fact that Tunisian is as strong merchant tradition, and there's the sight of ancient Carthage and so forth, and that belief goes back at least as far as the Carthaginians.
Speaker 2: Mentioned the historical character Willith. If I'm not mistaken, King Solomon is also supposed to have a connection to Gin. Can you talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, King King Solomon. It's funny this time of year in Saudi Arabia, when you're walking in an area where there are trees and some grass, you'll often see a bird called the hoopo. It's a rather colorful but it's it's a light brown bird with black stripes on it and a tuft on its head, and it's really a striking looking bird. You see a lot of them this time of year. And this was a bird that is very famous uh in ancient lore in Arabic, it's called the hood hood Hud Hud and this, and it's also very important in Jewish law. And the Hoopo brought to King Solomon and Jerusalem word of the Queen of Sheba the first time he ever heard of her. Now, Sheba is supposed to be Asian Saba, which is down in the corner of Arabia and Yemen, and she is supposed to be half Gin. I'm trying to think now whether it was her mother or father, but I don't know which one. Uh was supposed to be of Gin origin and Uh, the Hoopo told Solomon, because Solomon had the the ability from God to communicate with animals, and Gin told Solomon that this beautiful queen was was down in uh Saba and that that he really ought to check her out. So he invited her to come up to Jerusalem. And then you know, the rich lore of Solomon and Sheba followed out of that. In fact, he even at one point wanted to find out whether she had Gin characteristics. And Solomon is said to her have created a fake pond in one of his palaces a pond that looked like water but was actually glass, and invited the Queen of Shebos, she was known an Arabic tradition as Bill Tice asked her to walk across it. It was very shallow, of course, it seemed, and she did, and she lifted her skirts, and he wanted to catch a look at her legs to see if she could possibly be a gin. Based on her legs, some people said that they had hairy legs or even goat feet. These beliefs, of course, they vary depending on where the story comes from, but there is the outcome of that particular incident has been kept secret from all of us, so we don't know exactly what Solomon saw. But Solomon he did have the ability to control the Gin based on a ring that God gave him, This magic ring which had the seal of Solomon on it, which is essentially the star of David. This ring has been lost to history if it ever existed, but it was said to have the power to make evil Gin do his bidding, and they in effect became his servants and built a number of palaces and castles throughout the Middle East on Solomon's behalf. There are a number of other stories that talk about these gin when they have some of them got free, and you know what happened, what happened there there. There's some good stories in the Arabian Nights in relation to this. Some of them are tied in with some very old history from al Adolis or Islamic Spain, in connection with something called the city of Brass. There was said to be in the Sahara as somewhere as city built of brass, and one of the governors of Aldolous, at the request of the Caliph in Damascus, went on an expedition into the desert to find the city, and in the process he found the city. But he also found somewhere near the sea a collection of sometimes described as casks, sometimes as other types of containers that were in the that were at the bottom of the sea, and they were said to contain gin. And he had them brought out by by divers and placed on the shore and opened, and as he opened them, the the gin who were in the these casts flew out rapidly into the sky and expressed great fear of Solomon. They thought Solomon was still alive, and they fled from him because he had put them in these boxes many many years ago, according to tradition.
Speaker 3: Would you say that fear of Solomon is their generic response.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are definitely generically frightened by Solomon. He was the guy with the power, and that's why there have been some people who have looked for that ring of power that he had and tried to figure out where it could have been. Of course, that assumes that the story is true. But all we know is that it's a great story. And there are a number of castles and structures various parts in the Middle East, and this one that I mentioned in the Sahara was supposed to have been built by Solomon too, with Gin laborers. The story of Solomon is grander than the reality, obviously, and his the extent of his empire was was immense according to the ancient belief. This is the same as Alexander the Great, of course, who was was dramatized even more. I think in the romances of Alexander the Great. I don't have any good, good jin stories about.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of stories about them doing miraculous things, but then there's the more sinister side about abduction. So why do you think they're reported to abduct children. What is that all about.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what it's about. I think it's basically it's it's an explanation, you know, for for for having a child that it doesn't appear to be the child of the of the parents. It's it's one way change. It's the changeling and uh, you know you see that sometimes and who else could have taken the child? But but the Gin and substituted one of their own, who is obviously not from our family. I don't. I don't know really, But there are abductions of adults as well that take place. In some cases people that lived many years with the Gin, some of them eventually escaped. There was I remember reading one there's a story in the book about this. There's one one guy who was I think he spent seven years with the Gin and he finally escaped when he came across some roue, which is a plant that the Gin hate, and was told to stay away from it, that they hated it, and because they had him, he was out and in and the wilderness with the Gin, and they by by running toward that rue and grabbing it and holding it to himself, he managed to frighten the generally, so he was able to go home to his family. But there are cases where you know, people are captured by them and I guess enslaved by them. But that any kind of story you can imagine probably has been told somewhere in the Middle East about the Gin. I think they they cover a multitude of sins. I was going to ask.
Speaker 2: One thing that intrigued me about about the book and your discussion of Gin was that is that they not only can they take basically any form they want, primarily of course animals, but of course they can look exactly like us and so and you know, in your book talks about people who believe or sort of suspect that they may have encountered Gin previously, people either who either did bad things to them or did good things to them in a couple of cases do favors for them. So how assuming that gen exists, and that that's a big assumption, assuming they exist, how would we how would we know who's the who's the Gin and who's not? I mean, if if they can act like us, if they can get married, if they have kids, if they have you know, jobs and religions and faith and if if in just about every other way they can be exactly identical to us, are doppelgangers, how do we tell how do we tell them?
Speaker 1: Apart we can't that they they can duplicate people and and act just like them. And there if they're not doing it for evil purposes, there's no way you can tell if they are doing it for evil purposes. You can use religion two to expose them because they're they're they're the evil gen fear the word of God according to tradition, and you can use the uh, the formulas to to sort of like garlic, you know, to bring them out as as as you might with the vampire. I think there are probably cases, and you read about them in lore of you know, people who were who are gin and go many years without being detected. But generally something they either they slip up or or in the cases where or they are somehow detected. But you know, generally, uh, you know, they can do it for quite some time and you wouldn't know. And then you see examples of modern examples of this in the book where there's a girl of Bangladeshi girl who is talking about a girlfriend or hers who that she's convinced is ginya or female gin, But there are and she didn't realize that at first. But you know, people then they conclude, after seeing certain behaviors that that these people are gin.
Speaker 2: So so often sort of a retrospective diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's an explanation, you know, how do you explain some bizarre behavior or how do you explain anything? Will you draw up on your traditions? And that's where the gin come in, And they're I'm trying to think of some interesting examples of that for you.
Speaker 3: But I well, they can read the book, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it's for me. Basically, I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything in this book. I really I just want to open them up to the to the tradition and let people look at it and enjoy it, because I think there's some interesting and amusing and scary stuff to be learned from it.
Speaker 3: Well, and for a lot of us, even people who read up on monsters in this supernatural a lot the just because we live in the Western nis world, we aren't able to be exposed so easily to some of the folklore and cultures from other parts of the world. So This is a great thing for you to put that out.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I want to do some more writing on the connections between our traditions and the people here in the Middle East, because I've found some interesting connections of some of our monsters from the European tradition. And i was just doing some study of one of the monsters that's well known in the West, even though it isn't European phenomenon. That's the zombie, it is very popular today. Originally comes out of a Haitian tradition, and before Haiti came out of Sub Saharan Africa. But the zombie as we see it today in modern folklore, which you'd have to say includes some motion pictures, is quite different from the zombie of Haiti or New Orleans. Even the zombie that we see in George Romero is the Knight of the living Dead, is actually bloodthirsty, flesh eating creature. And I've seen a recent, fairly recent study of George Romero's work, and he's a real pioneer in the modern zombie. It says that he actually borrowed that concept from the Middle East from the ghoul is a very is a flesh eating monster. It's a. It's a Gin origin and it's when you think about it, it ties in very well with a Knight of the Living Dead.
Speaker 3: And my next question is going to be you cover gouls quite a lot. What is the relationship between the ghoul and the gin.
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of a specialized gin. It's an evil one. It's that it doesn't fit into the major categories when I said the sheik Tan and the Afrite and the Mayri, that's it doesn't fit into those or into the run of the mill gin, which would be either just the gin as we know it, or the jan which is the collective of all these creatures. They call them jan j n n. But the ghul Is is a particularly frightening example. It's almost universally believed to be a gin. However, I'm sure there are some you'll find some people say no, no, it isn't. But it is a monster that is said to inhabit caves and remote places that will trick you. Often it's it's a female, often called the gula, and the Gula will will first present itself as being very beautiful and then suddenly reveal it's it's It's a frightening appearance it's it's a large, hairy, ugly beast and and it loves to eat human flesh. And there's some wonderful stories out of Yemen on this. There was a guy, King Safe, who's one of the kings of Yemen, who ends up going to He gets an effect dropped into a valley of the Ghules and it's kind of is stuck there and trying to figure out how to survive because he knows that this valley in Yemen is filled with these evil ghouls. So he goes up into a tree and to spend the night, and when he wakes up in the morning, there's all the tree is surrounded by these monsters that just want to eat him, and they can they can smell him like Jack and the beanstalk Giant, you know Feefi Foe from They know they can smell human flesh and human blood, and they were around the tree ready to chomp on him. He eventually gets out of this by cutting a deal with the queen of the Ghules, and it's a long story, but he's a hero, so he gets to escape. But these kind of things, the Ghules are, those legends still exist in Egypt. They're very popular in Egypt. I haven't heard a lot of that in Saudi Arabia, but as I said, Yemen is rich territory for the ghoul as well.
Speaker 3: Well do you do you do? You do you read HP Lovecraft or Roberty Howard? Sure, yeah, I was gonna say it's interesting how especially Howard's work ties in the sort of Arabic gin and the sort of take on the Celtic little people and Arthur Makin's take on the little people as not something that's just a fairy tale, but something that's really horrible and frightening. So this looks Captain Howard sort of form that nexus within fiction of tying that folklore together really neatly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I agree, it's very very interesting, and a lot of this stuff that comes out of the Middle East has been integrated into into Western literature, and I think that's well, that's one of the reasons I got interested in it. I came into it sort of to the back door and then realized, oh, this is the Middle East. I mean, they're all talking about this area where I live, and I was happy to be able to do the research to find out more about this, and I this is something that I think people around the world can enjoy, particularly as literature. I mean, there's a there's a lot of really interesting general related tales that the people can can I can grab onto if they are of a mind to. It's if you're if you're tired of the old monsters, try some of these that are even older. But they look a little newer because you haven't you haven't seen them much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're there. There's sort of a new a new variation, new twist on a lot of a lot of what people think. That's That's one of the things that I was that surprised me, frankly about your book was that, you know, I knew it was about you know, genies and Gin, but then all of a sudden, we're talking about ghouls, and I'm talking about you know, urban legends, we're talking about suck you Bay and and it was interesting to sort of see how how there's all these these tangential monsters and creatures that are actually actually you know, trace their roots back to Gin and certainly have common common roots. Let me ask about you talked about one very one version of it, uh in seducing men, So people believe that you can have sex with Gin well, what do what did the the gen experts say? I mean, is it the other There are people.
Speaker 1: Who there's a lot of dispute over that that it is not. It's not one hundred percent. If you ask an Islamic scholar, you could come up with one one answer or the other. There are a number of them who say, oh, yes, it's it's purely normal and natural for these two different species two to have relations sexual relations. Others will say, no, it's impossible, and and I think I referred to both of these traditions, but there the more interesting one is where where the two species can interact in that way, And there's I think that I think on the popular level it's it's more it's more accepted than than the one that says that they can't have relations. Uh, it's accepted because it's it's more interesting, it's more tantalizing. And also some of it ties in with these I don't know, there's there's an awful lot of heavy symbolism involved in all of this stuff. That's the gin stuff. And one of the things I'm thinking of an example would be the Palestinians. The Palestinians who have have had had relations with Gin that who were Jewish Gin had sexual relations with them. So, I mean it's kind of a I mean, it's sort of like trying to solve the Middle East conflict through bizarre monster. I don't know, it's kind of really unusual, but there. I mean, if you read up on in the ps psychiatric literature in Israel, there's a lot on this there. Israeli psychologists and psychiatrists have taken great interest in the in the belief in in the Gin and and there and the connections with the political situation. And generally it's the Palestinians who were the ones who were most affected by the gin phenomenon there. Most of the Israelis are pretty westernized or modern in their perspective.
Speaker 3: As Islam has spread, have the Gin spread as well? I mean it's like is American people, Uh, would would they expect American Islamic people? Would they expect to see a gin instead of a ghost in the house? Is that you know what I mean? I mean, as a floor, it's carried over.
Speaker 1: It carries over. And there are cases of gin possession and gin activity in the States. They've been I've been collecting this kind of lore for a long time and only could put a fraction of in this book. But there are a lot of news stories. You'd be surprised how many times did GIN pop up in places where they're not expected. One of them is in the United States and it's been involved in Jin belief was tied in with with the the terrorism issue. There there were cases of people who are associated with terrorist groups who were believers in GIN, and I think you saw some of that in Iraq as well. There were people who were saying that Saddam Hussein and made a pact with the GIN. It looks like they didn't keep their side of the bargain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna ask about that because I earlier this year there was actually a story that came out that ad ran his foes and and I think people in his cabinet were accused of using GIN and using for their own purposes. So it's fascinating to me again to sort of see the way that this ancient tradition can be sort of rebottled and respun and used for for political purposes and you know, just dust it off. Do you think that's going to continue or what? Do you Why is that such an effective If it isn't if I don't want to put words in your mouth, Do you think that is an effective strategy?
Speaker 1: And if so, why, well, I don't. I don't think it's it gets as far as as it as it might have been the old days. I know that that issue did come up, but I think it also died down pretty fast. So I don't think it was as effective a tool, particularly in those among those people who are not extremely traditional. Now you have someone like madinajad Is, but he's a mixture, you know, and he comes out of a tradition that's very, very supportive of the GIN. But at the same time he's he's tried to distance himself from some of the religious leaders who support that kind of thing. So I don't know. I don't. I think you're going to see more of it in particularly in developing countries, more GIN references as as political excuses, you'll see. I think we've seen that in We've seen it in certain countries in Africa. I think we saw it in Afghanistan, and but this is uh. I don't. I don't think it's something that's that's on the rise, because the belief in the GIN, I don't think is necessarily on the rise. I think it's reached a sort of a stabilized level, and if anything, will be declining as time goes on.
Speaker 3: So how would when distinguished a gin from some other supernatural entity? What what kind of powers did they have of that make them unique?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Different gin have different powers. They have the power to enter a human body, which is one thing. They have the power to fly. Many gin have been known to fly great distances and very very short amount of time. And and this is Solomon and others used to use this ability to for reconnaissance that they would find out about what was going on in a neighboring country by sending gin off. There are depends on again on the on what type of gin there are. Some of them have the ability to two to speak through human beings when they when they possess they can take over the In addition to controlling the they control the body and the mind, apparently because they're able to speak through the person and say what they want to be said. I think. And then you've got gin that are just they're just living their lives and they're not trying to perform tricks or exert powers over people. I've talked to people who've actually said they were Gin. You can never these are actually remote contexts by email and then have no validity scientifically. But people who who are actually Saudi and said they were Gin and described in great detail the kinds of lives they led and where they came from, where they went to school, and what their tribe was like.
Speaker 3: Did you notice which internet service provider at the GIN prefers.
Speaker 1: I think they're wherever there is email, there are GEN.
Speaker 3: I know that in at least in Western culture. The Gin are really famous for having these really tricky contracts, like in order to get them to do something for you, you have to be very specific in how you word it, and that sort of conflict between that kind of contract mind and the people who do internet service providers contracts. Oh clever, it could be really, it could be tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really could. But I for the most part, Gin are not going to do you any favors. You can count on that, and if they're forced to, they will, But you're going to have to find a way to compel them. And that's that's where the problem lies.
Speaker 2: That's let me ask you about that, because the first time that I really investigated GIN was in Africa in two thousand and seven when I was in Zanzibar, off the coast of Tanzania, and I was looking into a mysterious creature called the Bawa, which is the means bat wing or batfoot, and it's this sort of combination of gin go most vampire creature. And I interviewed locals about the monster, and some some people believed a lot of them didn't believe in it at all. They just thought it was just sort of a piece of folklore, but many of them did. And what really interested me was that when I asked them, well, where what do you think the nature of this creature is? Oftentimes the explanation was that it was a gin. It was not only was a gin, but it was basically a gin that had escaped its master. Uh. And I was told that there were for lack of better word, wizards or witch doctors who lived near Zanzibar, maybe in Pemba or in the Comoros islands that that could control gin. And and you talked a little bit about that with like the Seal of Solomon. But I guess I have two questions. One is, how would a modern day wizard either capture and or control a gin? And number two, how do modern Muslim sort of reconcile the belief? And again you sort of touched on this earlier, but you know, how how did they go about their daily lives thinking that there is, you know, an evil gin that's doing bad things in their midst.
Speaker 1: Well, the wizards use spells, and there are spell books, medieval spell books that teach you how to how to do this sort of thing, how to control the gin. I haven't seen any of these. I've just read about them. I did have an offer to see a translation of one at one time from a Pakistani graduate student who said he was going to try out some of these spells. Unfortunately, he had a very bad experience and only shared a little bit of it, but he insisted that it worked and that it left his apartment scorched black on the walls, and that he never wanted to do this again. So I don't, I haven't. This is not an area where, particularly in Saudi Arabia, you don't get into this sort of thing in any great detail. It's it's considered black magic, or what they call the condemned system sorcery is uh is not legal in Saudi Arabia. However, there are people around the Islamic world who practices and we all know that that's the case, and they use spells, and I would venture to say that most of them are very ancient Arabic groomoires basically, and these books are out there, some of them are are accessible. Whether they work or not, I can't say.
Speaker 2: Well, put.
Speaker 3: So we have to ask every everybody who comes on our show, we try to ask them what is your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: My favorite monster? M hm. I would have to say Pazuz the demon. I would say he's the best.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. A lot of people like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, simply because I really enjoyed The Exorcist and I didn't realize that it actually had an actual basis and one of the Middle Eastern demons.
Speaker 3: So it's a film that turned a lot of heads.
Speaker 1: And I've spent a lot of time in Georgetown where they did some of that shooting, the video, the filming of that movie.
Speaker 3: So yeah, my niece is at Georgetown now, so I want to I want to go visit at some point and get a picture of the staircase.
Speaker 1: So you have to have to go it.
Speaker 4: Will well.
Speaker 3: I want to say, Robert, thank you so much for being on the show. Your book's very interesting and we'll put a link to it in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a really fine piece of work, and I meaning I would consider essentially the definitive book on Gin. I mean, I know there are others out there, but this is certainly the most recent and I think the most thorough and it just does a does a great job.
Speaker 1: So good job on it, Thank you. I point out one thing but before we go, this being the end of Ramadan. During the month of Ramadan, the Gin are imprisoned by God and they're all chained and they can't do all the evil that they normally do. This is God's way of giving cutting a break for mankind. But Ramadan's over, so they're on the loose again. Better be careful.
Speaker 3: At least you can have something to eat while you ponder how to handle that.
Speaker 1: Right. I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Thank you very much, Monster. Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. You've been listening to Blake Smith and Ben Radford interview author Robert Lebling about his book Legends of the Fire Spirits, which is all about the Arabic tales of Jen, Jeanie and Ghoules. A link to his book is in the show notes. If you've enjoyed Monster Talk, I hope you'll consider donating a buck or two to our transcription project. Thanks to listeners like Gherko Balentien, Robert Smith, James f Stein, Katie Alvarado, Brian Beeden, John Saint Clair, Shane Brady, and David Rodriguez, we've managed to get six episodes ordered up for transcription so far. Having the transcripts helps in several ways. It helps Google searchers find us, it helps people reference our content in Wikipedia, and it will be vital from my upcoming YouTube project which I'm planning. For the show. It costs between sixty and seventy dollars to get an episode transcribed, so even just a few dollars is very helpful, and thanks to everyone who's given so far, we really appreciate it. If you want to meet other listeners to Monster Talk, come join our Facebook group. It's free and there's a lot of fun content posted there. You can find it by searching Monster t Talk on Facebook or come to MonsterTalk dot org and you'll find links to the Facebook page as well as contact info for all the hosts and links to our Twitter feed and other content. Monster Talk is produced for the help of Skeptic Magazine. Thanks Skeptic Magazine. Music for today's episode included Arabian Landscape by Guardian Mind Mix and as always our theme music's by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thank you again for listening.
Speaker 5: Onwarding for more skepticism.
Speaker 4: Want to learn the true ruth about.
Speaker 5: The scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 3: It makes sense that they would be communicating with telephones because they could be locked in with Solomon's ring tone, a.
Speaker 1: That would have tremendous power if we could think we could duplicate Solomon's ringtones.
Speaker 3: I'll promise Ben, I'll take these jokes out and post