Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosen House along with you from Guardians Spring training, goodyear Arizona, and it's great to have you with us as we talked baseball for the next hour on the radio and then in podcast form. As the Guardians continue to get closer to the start of the twenty twenty five season, one week's worth of Cactus League games are in the books, and we've seen some good performances, some very encouraging performances from starting pitchers, and we'll get to that as we move along. Good show lined up for you today is in the second half of our show, we will hear from Hunter Gaddis, who had a breakthrough year out of the bullpen for the Guardians a year ago. We'll get an update on his spring as he gets ready to roll here. Hasn't pitched in the game action yet, but so many of the relievers who pitch so often a year ago are in that slow build up in terms of game action, so we'll see him soon. On the game mound. We'll also visit with associate manager Craig Albernasi was the bench coach a year ago and as he'll tell us, the responsibilities are pretty much the same, but a title change for him and for good reason. And we'll get into that when we hear from Craig Albernaz in the second half of our show today. And also on the other side of our break, we'll visit with Chase de Lauder, who is one of the top prospects for Cleveland but has had a hard time staying healthy so far in his pro career, and we'll get an update from him on that situation as he prepares for a new season. But first, the news of the week, and it was sad news earlier this week with the passing of Guardian's owner Larry Dolan. He was ninety four years of age and had been the primary owner from the time that his family purchased the team back in the two thousand winter February fifteenth, they purchased it from Richard Jacobs, and Larry was the primary owner up until January of twenty thirteen, when Paul Dolan was approved by Major League based as the primary control person for the organization, but under the Dolan ownership sustained winning, particularly the past twelve seasons. The Guardians have the third most wins in all baseball during that time, more than a thousand victories, trailing only the Dodgers and the Yankees. And that, as so many of I'm sure our listeners know, is just the tip of the iceberg to what mister Dolan meant to the city of Cleveland, not just Cleveland Baseball, but the city of Cleveland. And no one better to fill us in and take a look back at the life and times of Larry Dolan than Guardians Senior Vice President Bob D. Bassio.
Speaker 3: Cleveland sadly lost one of its own today, Lauren in Cleveland Heights in nineteen thirty one. Lawrence J. Dolan invested his entire life in Greater Cleveland and impacted our community on so many levels. From his service to our country as a lieutenant in the United States Marines, his many philanthropic acts of kindness, career in law, business, education, and sports. Many benefited from his engagement, influence, and passion, especially in the world of sports. Larry's love of sports began on the sandlots of Cleveland heights and high school fields across our city. As a running back, defensive back and catcher at Saint Ignatia's High School, he was blessed to realize two dreams of most every Cleveland athlete of his generation. To play on the field at Cleveland Stadium, where his boyhood idol Lou Boudreau starred, and to own one of our city's professional sports teams. On Saturday, November twenty sixth, nineteen forty nine, a Chili Day at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, more than thirty thousand y such does Larry help lead Saint Ignatius to its first ever charity game victory and only second city championship in school history. As a senior running back, he tossed a touchdown pass and had an interception as a defensive back in the thirteen to nothing win over East Tech. In February two thousand, he purchased his beloved hometown baseball team. We are forever grateful for his passion in supporting the Northeast Ohio community in the Cleveland Guardians organization. Through his initial leadership, the Dolan family continues to be the longest tenured owners in franchise history.
Speaker 2: Just a tremendous piece there from Bobby d on Larry Dolan passing away at the age of ninety four. And when we look around at at members of the front office who have been with the organization for a lengthy period of time, no one worked more closely with Larry Dolan than Chris Antonetti, who is now the President of Baseball Operations and has been for quite some time and has worked in various capacities within the organization on the baseball op side. And Chris stopped by the radio booth during our broadcast on Wednesday and joined Tom Hamilton, and they talked about the life and times of Larry Dolan.
Speaker 1: Everybody with heavy hearts Chris, and yet a celebration of an incredible life of owner Larry Dolan.
Speaker 4: It really is, Tom. I mean, we have those mixed emotions, obviously a great deal of sadness, but we all have the opportunity to reflect back and think about the impact Larry has had in the broader Cleveland community, our organization and on so many individuals. You know, he meant so much to me personally, had the opportunity to know Larry for twenty five plus years and couldn't imagine working for and with a better person. I mean he led with with kindness, with humility, always treated everybody with a great deal of respect, and was a great steward for the organization.
Speaker 1: Chris. People wonder, you know, how have the Guardians been able to keep a Chris Antennetti, a m. I chern Off and others that have come through here and have stayed here. Well, it starts with the people you work for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would flip it the other way. I would say, it's just been such an honor and a great privilege for me to have the opportunity to continue to work for such a tremendous family. They have treated us incredibly well throughout the organization and set a great environment to come to work. So we will all miss Larry a great deal. And not only did he have impact on so many of us individually, but he cared so deeply about the organization and its place within the community and took that responsibility very seriously as a steward of you know, what is a civic treasure. And I think you know, under his leadership, we've tried not to say we're perfect, but we've tried along the way to be guided by that and be great civic partners for the community and put out a great product that our fans can be proud of.
Speaker 1: Chris, I mean, you know, he had big shoes to follow because of the great job that Dick and David Jacobs had done here. When did you first realize or was there a tip off to you that you were working for a very unique and special man.
Speaker 4: Well, from the very first moment I met him, he you know I at the time, I think I was an assistant in baseball operations, and you know, he took the time to get to know me too. You know, he always treated not only me, but everyone with a great deal of respect and curiosity, and you know, he was always interested in what their experience was and what their story was. Not something that I will, you know, continue to remember as in the way Larry treated me from the first day I was here, and hopefully I can pay that forward.
Speaker 1: Well, and uh, the old adage the appleton't fall far from the tree. I mean, Paul Dolan's same kind of man.
Speaker 4: Exactly the environment that you know Paul continues to create, and obviously Paul has been far more active over the last ten year twelve years as Hilarry has taken a step back, and he's you know, continue that and continue to build on, you know, his father's leadership of the organization. And I feel the exact same way about Paul. It feels so privileged to have the opportunity to continue work, to work for him.
Speaker 1: You talked about it the other day and saw the story and the Plain Dealer today and we were sitting in there with you when you were asked by Paul Hoyns of some of your memories, and I just thought it was a really neat story that you told about that celebration in Toronto.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and back in twenty sixteen when we had the opportunity to clinch in Toronto and advance to the World Series. The you know, the sense of joy and pride and accomplishment that you know, Paul and Larry shared together knowing that we had then the opportunity to try to secure that World Series championship that we also desperately are seeking, and just the way in which, you know, how happy they were in those moments. And as I shared, you know, I have this vivid memory of kind of coming back on the team bus looking to my right and even Larry is sitting there and Larry's holding the Al Trophy like a baby in his arms. So and Larry more than anything wanted that World Series Championship, and just for him to realize we were that close and had the opportunity to do it. Obviously, it didn't play out the way we had all hoped, but and that moment, you know, it was still a possibility, and the joy and pride that he felt was an enduring memory for me.
Speaker 1: And he also had such a quick wit, but also a great perspective in that how badly you want to win, and at the end of the day, this is still a game he did.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was as competitive as anyone, and he would ask very thoughtful, probing questions. As I mentioned the other day, he had this unique ability to distill an issue down to its essence and said, oh, yeah, okay, I hear all that, but tell me what you really mean. And I always appreciated that with him, with just the way his mind worked and the way he was able to put pieces together like that.
Speaker 1: He didn't micromanage you guys either, did.
Speaker 5: He not at all?
Speaker 4: I mean, he would stay engaged much like Paul. He stays engaged in his Cureius and asked like, how does how can he support the goals that we're trying to achieve as an organization, whether us on the business or baseball side, and then you know, allows us to continue to build those environments. And I'm like I said, I couldn't be more grateful and feel like I have the privilege to continue to do what I do with working with such an extraordinary family.
Speaker 1: President Chris Antonetti with us and his reflections of Larry Dolan, and on top of everything else, the example they are for the rest of us is husband and wife, parents, But how Larry and Eva keep giving back.
Speaker 4: It's incredible every you know, every organization, every community that they've touched, they find a way to help and make it and make it better. And that extends back to his high school days, the Saint Ignacious or his innumerable charitable causes that they were involved with, not only in the Cleveland community, but in the Dry were They're truly extraordinary people and again set so many great examples for us, not just on the business front, but on the personal and community front as well.
Speaker 2: Stuff there from Chris Antonetti and also Tom Hamilton talking about some of the great memories they have of Larry Dolan, who passed away earlier this week at the age of ninety four. Stay with us, We'll lot more to come as Guardian's Weekly continues on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Drivers to switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds With that kind of money. You could go big time on a fency water bottle with ultra titanium alloy metal. You're not sure why you need all that. I mean, it just holds water, but you're getting it anyway. Because if you're hiking near an active volcano and do you accidentally drop the bottle into molten lava, your water will still be icy gold. Switch to Progressive and you could save big time for water bottles. Progressive Casualty in tern company in affiliates not available in all states. Potential savings will vary.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly. Jim Rosenhaus back with you from Goodyear, Arizona and Guardians Spring Training, where Cleveland will be back in action this afternoon. They'll take on the Chicago Cubs of your tune to this on the radio on Saturday. They'll take on the Cubs with a three to zero five first pitch over in Maysa the cubs Beautiful Ballpark there and again at the three oh five start time radio coverage for you beginning at two point fifty nine on the dot.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Chase de Lauder is a top prospect in the Guardians organization. Man that he have some kind of spring training a year ago really burst on the scene, but in terms of his pro career, the former first round draft pick has been limited tremendously due to injuries. In two pro seasons, He's only managed to play in ninety six games and so far has not appeared in a major league spring training game just yet. We had a chance to visit with him earlier this week and he talked about where things stand in terms of his health and where he'd like to be by the end up spring training.
Speaker 6: No, I feel great. I mean, I'm excited to goe out there with the guys. I've been out here and I got out here pretty early this winter, trying to get the body healthy, get body going, and I'm excited.
Speaker 2: And from that health standpoint, is it just maintenance now at this point, just trying to keep yourself healthy so you can show what you can do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, I'm just trying to, you know, keep myself out there. And I think now it's more of a how do I prep for the day, how do I get in the training room early and you know, get my body ready to you know, explode on that very first pitch.
Speaker 2: So I saw you the other day live batting practice against Luis Ortiz, who has nasty stuff, and you handle it great. It seemed like you were swinging the bat well and you were saying it not that it comes easy, but it seems like you're comfortable. And where does that come from?
Speaker 6: I think that's kind of been a big focus for me the last honestly couple of years with my swing is just kind of having the same intent, the same feel, the same load every time I step in the box. And you know, this winter I've e gotten into using the traject a lot and the cages. I'm here at the facility, which is for people that don't know, it's just kind of it's a three D print of the picture comes out of the machine, you know, with his really with his like load and release and everything. So I feel like that's been a huge help and going into a live at that so far the spring just kind of feeling like I can treat it as training purposes, and I'm not kind of stepping in there and feeling like I'm thrown into the fire of like a real pitcher. It's kind of feel like I've been facing it for the last couple of months, and like we were talking, even when I take some downtime, the big focus for me is having the same consistent feeling mood every time. So I mean if even though I take a month off, I feel like I can kind of, you know, get back in the box, take a couple of swings, and honestly feels pretty similar to however long I've been playing.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the machine that you hit off of this organization, rightly or wrong. They're known for its pitching, but how about on the hitting side. What what are some of the things that that they're doing for you? And how extensive is it in terms of things that you're dispowed if you want it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, these guys are great. I mean we have I mean, you guys can walk walk around our cages. We have the absolute best resources all we could ask for in the cages in it and I think the staff is unbelievable at like individualizing plans for players. You know, for instance, like my routine is going to be very different from the guy next to me routine, and so on and so forth. So those guys are great at making sure each person is getting what they need, and we have all the resources in there to do it. And you know, if you wanted to make it happen, those guys can make it happen for you.
Speaker 2: A year ago, we saw you a bunch of spring training, but you weren't in major league camp. Explained to fans the difference now the first major league camp. What is the difference.
Speaker 6: The big difference is being in the clubhouse, being around the guys on a daily basis. And I think that's the best part, you know, trying to build more meaningful connections, not just kind of you know, being with them outside and being with them in the game. It's now I can kind of I'm eeting with the guys, you know, I'm in the locker room with the guys them kind of around them all the time. And you know, I wouldn't say I lacked any confidence last spring, but I feel like, you know, being around the guys and you you know, I say what's up to Hosey in the morning, and just kind of instills that confidence that you can go out there and play with them.
Speaker 2: And when you look at the last year, or maybe even a couple of years from that mental side, how difficult has it been to stay positive and know that once you get healthy you can produce while while you're missing significant time.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's absolutely tough. I mean, for anyone that says going down is no big deal, it's it's hard. It's hard on the mind, it's hard on the body. But we have the best best staff in the world, and you know, take those days, you know, you talk to the people you need to talk to, the people you love that support you, and then you just get back to work. I mean, you trust that those guys are going to put you back in the best spot, and you trust that what you're going to do each day is going to put you back in the spot being ready to play like I was before.
Speaker 2: It's chased a lotter and man, it's exciting if he can be healthy to see what he could do. There's your power bat that everyone's looking for, and he showed it last spring. Hopefully he gets a chance to show it again this year in the Cactus League as well.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: We come back. We'll visit with Hunter Gaddis, a key member of last season's MLB Best Bullpen and he expects to be once again in twenty twenty five. That's next down the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Gaddis's vela has ticked up because he's not a starter anymore, so he can just air it out for an inny man. What a weapon he is now the kick and delivery as that was just way overmatched, was so sunk against Hunter Gaddis. Here's the O two swim struck out Perez. That's gotta be a huge shot in the arm for Hunter Gaddis. From the set. Gaddis is ready. Here it comes swinging a miss, struck him out, get him on a slider, the pitch and he sends one high in the air to rite, but this isn't deep. Will Brennan's coming in. Will Brennan makes the catch and Hunter Gaddis throws up another zero. Now the two to two pinch to earlink, strike three call and a change up. Gaddis gets out of it and Cleveland keeps the lead.
Speaker 2: Well the back the Guardians Weekly. We're in Goodyear, Arizona this weekend and we will be for the month of March, Jim Rosenhouse along with you talking baseball, and we are talking about the Guardians bullpen, a sea a go, the best in all of Major League Baseball. Big reason why. Some surprises out of that ben, including Hunter Gaddis, who for the most part throughout his career, had been a starting pitcher prior to last season, but about midway through spring training he started to see some time late in games in short spurts, and he proved to be a huge key out of the pen for the Guardians in twenty twenty four. And when the big right hander looks back on last season, he says, there were several keys that allowed him to have great success in a different role.
Speaker 8: You know, I think it was overall a good thing moving to a bullpen. I had fun. I enjoyed it, you know, I had. It's been a full season there, which is really nice, learned from a lot of the guys, and you know, overall, I really enjoyed it and looked forward to staying there for sure.
Speaker 2: If I remember correctly, this time a year ago, they were still stretching you out and it wasn't really a thing yet. But was it? In spring training where they started to say, you know what, this could be intriguing to see what he could do as a reliever.
Speaker 8: Well, I know, I had a couple opportunities in twenty three where I would come out of the pen and whatnot. And actually my last time pitching and Columbus in twenty three was out of the pen, and I threw the hardest I ever had at that point. So I think that kind of got it into some people's heads where it was like, he can do it. But yeah, I mean I came here and ramped up as a starter. I was throwing Jill was it sixty pitch bullpens and whatnot. But I think they didn't really say anything to me directly. I started just throwing one inning in the spring games, and then it kind of like, you know, three four games in, I was just throwing that one inning. I was like, okay. And then you know, when they said it last year, it was like you made the team punch you in the bullpen. I was like, all right, let's ride.
Speaker 2: When you look back on the season, you got off to a good start, just that slight hiccup of the games in Atlanta, But when you look back on it, How important were those games, especially what happened after where you settled right back in and picked it up. How important was it to know that you could have a tough one but mentally you're okay and you can go out there and still get out.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean, I think everything's easy when stuff's going well for you, and it's when you have that tough stretch and coming off of that. I mean, and they always say it's not about getting knocked down, its probably getting back up or whatever. I think that's very true in the bullpen for sure, because you can go out there and just not have your day and it's like you could be going again tomorrow. So you got to bounce back really well. And it was kind of a good thing that it happened, you know, and then learning from it and bouncing back and just you know, there's still a lot of games to play.
Speaker 2: You mentioned some of the good things about being in the bullpen, especially with that group by far and away best in baseball, and were you aware of that as it was happening and then after the season. I don't know if you look at numbers at all, but literally numbers wise that Cleveland's bullpen best in baseball.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's that just shows like the guy in our bullpen, we really worked well together. It showed it didn't matter whose name was called, it was to go out there and try and get a W for the team. I don't think we didn't pay too much attention to it. Like I didn't hear any talk in the clubhouse or in the bullfit about it. I think that was the good thing about it. It was just kind of we were going out there and playing ball off season.
Speaker 2: A little different for you you're from Atlanta and spend some off seasons there. He spent a lot of off seasons out here in Goodyear. But this year back in Columbus, And how was it in a northern city not too far from what we experienced in Cleveland.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was good overall, you know, really my first time up north for a winter. A lot of snow, a lot of cold, which I don't mind the cold, but the snow was fun for about a week and then I was I was getting over it. I was tired of it.
Speaker 2: And what did you do to find out a good spot to keep your routines and what you like to do in the winter.
Speaker 8: I had a couple of connections, you know, obviously playing there, the coaches there, A couple of coaches lived there, so they were able to steer in the right direction where to go people they knew, so it was pretty seamless on you know, finding a spot to go train.
Speaker 2: But you still come out here early. And what's the benefits to that for you?
Speaker 8: Well, the weather for sure, compared to where I was in Columbus. But you know, it's just you have every resource here. You have, you know, coaches that are willing to work with you, other players out here to you know, help push you throughout each d each and every day. And you know, of course I like to get out there on the golf course. It's nice out here. How far are you bombing your drives? Oh it matters if I really didn't one, especially out here in Arizona, and I get some good role you know, I can get it out to three eighty, you know whatnot, but I like to try and just say, you know, three hundred on a good day is good.
Speaker 2: So you're making par fives a egal opportunity.
Speaker 8: Usually if it goes straight, I'm usually in a get spot to at least s go for the green on shot too.
Speaker 2: You walk into the clubhouse and guys start showing up. Obviously, everybody here is here early. How quick do you do you get that good feeling that this team had so often last year, especially toward the end in the post season.
Speaker 8: It's so good to see everybody again. Everybody's out here working again. It doesn't even feel like too long ago we were in season, so it's kind of just picking up where we left off so far and it feels good. Hunter, Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's relief pitcher Hunter Gaddis getting ready for a new season. Last year seventy eight appearances, he was six and three with an ERA of one point five seven, And that was the norm for those who worked back end of the pen, especially the young guys like Gaddis, Tim Herron, Kate Smith, you name it. They were solid. Setting up a minual Class A stay with us when we come back. We'll visit with Associate manager Craig Albernaz. That's coming your way next the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Gannis from the third bay side of the rubber pumps delivers data strikes out the side.
Speaker 5: Drivers to switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds with that kind of money. You could go big time on a fancy water bottle with ultra titanium alloy metal. You're not sure why you need all that. I mean, it just holds water, but you're getting it anyway, because if you're hiking, you're an active volcano, and do you accidentally drop the bottle into molten lava, your water will still be icy cold. Switch to Progressive and you could save big time for water bottles. Progressive casual tea terms company affiliates not agatable in all states. Potential savings will vary.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, Jim rosen House along with you from Guardian Spring training in Goodyear, Arizona. We continue with our show. Our final segment visiting with associate manager Craig Albernez. A year ago he was the bench coach, a title change. We'll get to him about that shortly, but what a great career in the game of baseball for alburn As you always look for that bench coach to have that good experience. He played eight seasons of pro ball in the minor leagues, actually nine seasons, eight with Tampa Bay another with the Tigers. He's been in the coaching or managing game either in the minor leagues or the major league since twenty seventeen. A longtime teammate of Steven Votes in the Tampa Bay organization and joined him last year as a Vote got the manager's job, and he brought Craig Albernaz along with him, a bench coach a year ago, now associate manager. And when we visit with Craig earlier this week, we asked him, a title change, does it change responsibility?
Speaker 7: No, it does not change my responsibilities. It was a surprise that happened this offseason. I guess I would say, you know, Chris, Mikey Madden and Steven let me know they're going to change my title, but my responsibilities.
Speaker 2: Do not change.
Speaker 7: They they let me know that they view me more as a bench coach, and that's the way of reflecting it. So it's just it's awesome to obviously to be recognized, but as far as the day to day the same.
Speaker 2: And for fans who don't know it, for a bench coach or associate manager, whatever you want to call it, how vital is your role during the course of the game to kind of free up Steven Vote to do what he needs to do. As as far as someone who kind of keeps an eye on some stuff that could be really important.
Speaker 7: I think it's vital. I don't know. The only thing I try to do is just make sure voter is prepared the best way he can. I try to give him all the information that he needs to make any in game decision that he has to make. You know, I think it's as you're going through the game, it gets fast, you know, as vote, he has to recognize pinch hit matchups if he wants to go that way, forecast a bullpen, talk with pitch count with Carl, and he has to you know, do we have to pinch run? Like all these these scenarios. So I just try to give him all of them, lay him out, and then we talk through him. Then he has to make the best decision. So I just try to make myself over prepared for him so he's ready for anything.
Speaker 2: Obviously, trust is a big part of any manager bench coach relationship. How far back do you guys go in terms of your relationship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we go back all the way to two thousand. Yeah we go oh eight Minor league spring training in the bullpens, get up butts kicked every day, catching all those bullpens. So yeah, so we go all the way back from there, and obviously we kind of have We're very different but also the same personalities. You know, we like to have fun. So we kept a light in spring training because as we're catching eighteen pens a day, so that we kind of just went from there and everything cultivated, you know, as we got older, got married kids. You know, our families are very close, so it's just it's just fun to kind of see this all happening. And then when you get to work with one of your best friends every days, that is nothing better.
Speaker 2: Stages of life are always interesting. You mentioned married kids, all that kind of good stuff. You guys, one of your minor league seasons shared a place and kids are coming along at that time. How how tight were things in terms of what you had to do just to get by as a minor league player.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's a grind, you know, And I think that's where this was the old minor leagues too, when you know you weren't making a lot of money, which was awesome because you get to learn how to survive, not survive, but how to make ends meet with with the little space you have in the apartments, but was awesome. I mean, we just got to know each other on a different level, had some fun, you know, but also you kind of get to get a glimpse of, you know, each other being your dad, you know each other being a husband, and you kind of get to see those little interactions and it just makes your friendship little tighter in a little more lasting because you know what type of portion they really are, because you never really know. But to see that him be a husband and him being a great a great father, it's just it just means the world.
Speaker 2: You're getting ready for a new season with Cleveland, there was a distinct possibility that you would not have been back for for a great reason. Explain your off season and why you're back here after some excellent opportunities opened up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: Off season started off pretty hectic in a good way, I guess, you know. I had a chance to talk with a couple of teams with their manager openings, and at the end of the day I had to I had to decline on them. It's always I don't really like talking about myself, so this is like not hard, but you know, at the end of the day, it's always humble and honored to be asked for those roles and be considered. But the support of Chris, Mike and Matt and vote was awesome during that process, And ultimately what I chose to come back is like, this place is awesome for me and my family, I'm learning a ton and for me to even be considered to take that next step and take on a job of that responsibility. I know what great looks like and what great is here. The support, the people, how everyone pours into to get you better. And also they're about the people, you know. I think a lot of that gets lost in this game nowadays, but here is always about the people. So it was it was for me, it was I wouldn't say an easy decision, but I think it was easier than I expected.
Speaker 2: And obviously for all the reasons you just outlined and for folks who work here that they know. But did you hear from people in the game and said, what are you not to you not taking you know, not having an opportunity to manage and declining.
Speaker 7: That that's a that's a funny question because I thought it would be the same way, But honestly it wasn't. I think a couple people reach out saying that, but the outpouring of support throughout the baseball community was awesome. I think they they recognized me as a person and what I'm about, and then also they recognize the the the position I'm in here with the group of people I'm around, and they feel like it's like it's a perfect match. So it was great. I wouldn't say reassurance because obviously you make your decision and I know it's right, but just to see the the baseball community kind of reach out, it's it's always great. You know, you get to hear from people you haven't heard and from from the longest time that still follow you, So that was it was always good to kind of catch up with those. But yeah, it was. It was crazy to think that that it went the other way because I thought the same thing Rosie. I was like, all crap, like everyone's going to reach out, like what do you do in Albi there's only thirty jobs. But now it was a complete opposite, which was cool.
Speaker 2: Great reflection on you and the organization for sure. Uh so you get here and the team's coming off a wonderful season a year ago, what are you seeing early in camp so far that that says, hey, this could be good again. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think one the whole team's been out here since you know, end of January, I wouldn't say we had everyone here. So I think the commitment to their work it's unbelievable. I mean, to get out to give up their off season to come to Goodyear Arizona to get ready for the season. It just speaks to the culture that was built, you know, from the minor league's PD and you know, and then just all the coaches here in front office, but the guys here, they've been working a lot of great work. Kai Korea is running a great camp right now that everything is detailed, We're getting what we need in the communication has been outstanding and at the end of the day, like these guys are, all of our players are challenging themselves in the training environment, which we want, you know, we want to push the envelope on the training environment, whether it be you know, catching, hitting, pitching, infield, defense, outfield, you know, check the boxes on everything, just to make sure that we're really getting after it. And they are, and the players are, they're answering the bell right now. You know, we're being constants of the workload build up as we go through this spring training. You know, we want to make sure the guys are hitting the ground running with the legs underneath them when the season starts, especially opening Kansas City. So right now I think we're everyone is pushing each other and also having a lot of fun as well, because, as you know, Rosie, spring training gets to be the dog days a little bit waking up early, but everyone's having a great time.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that we're doing this, I don't know a little bit after a little bit before seven am. You've been here locked in for a couple of hours already. How different is that for for a baseball person because during the regular season that your time frame flips because of the night games.
Speaker 5: Oh this is completely one eighty.
Speaker 7: I mean I mess around with where jd Are, I head athletic trainer, and he always says his wheelhouse is between noon and one am. This is not his wheelhouse right now. I don't think it's anyone's wheehouse. I mean I was up at four fifteen today to FaceTime the kids back back home to you know, to say hi, good morning and see them off the school. So I'm actually having my first cup of coffee right now. So it is. It is completely the flip side of everything we do in this game, but you just have to get through it. But it's a great test for the boys to kind of rest their bodies, get their sleep going, and then it's always easy to kind of sleep sleep in late as opposed to the other way where That's why I think everyone dreads the night games here in spring training because you get such on a great sleep schedule, you get reacclimated, and then it's just a shock to the system when you have a night game at spring training and then you have to wake up the next day and have a day game. So you know, I think we're we have a little bit of a ways away for a night game, but that's the one kind of everyone's dreading. But yeah, this time it's tough to get.
Speaker 2: Used to all part of the cycles of the baseball calendar. Albi, thanks for coming. I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks Rosie os Ray bubing you.
Speaker 2: That's Craig Albert has always has some good stories, great perspectives and real resource on that coaching staff that did such great work a year ago. That's going to do it. For this week's edition of Guardians, Weekly. Don't forget. You can hear our show each week on the radio at seven am on Saturday mornings on WTAM in Cleveland, Wman and Mansfield and WMRN out and Marion, and eleven o'clock Saturday mornings on WKBN in Youngstown, and of course whenever you like in podcast form wherever you download your favorite podcast, and we'll do it again next week. Until then, thanks to Brian Motse for putting together our shows each and every week. This is Jim Rosenhouse reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance