Speaker 1: H l.
Speaker 2: Well hm hmm, come on, man, helps.
Speaker 1: Helps good for dude.
Speaker 2: It's Friday.
Speaker 1: Day Day.
Speaker 3: It is in fact Friday, and you show how it's Friday because I forgot to take things out of loop. John, hear you there. It's a Friday. It is a match day Friday. It's a freestyle Friday. At Lanta United getting ready for a trip. Hopefully they can get out of here before the rain starts down to the erector, setting Fort Lauderdale to take on Messi and Friends. Match Day three. Match Day three. Dominant in the Eastern Conference in Major League Soccer, not so much in the West. Everybody, pretty much everybody in the West is kind of sitting there going, you know, can you kind of gig out of work on here a little bit? You guys, just do your thing. We're gonna sit here. We're gonna heal up and do our We're gonna do our thing.
Speaker 1: We'll watch.
Speaker 3: That's where we are morning, John, hear you there, And whatever's on your mind as we get you ready for a match day three weekend in Major League Soccer for the MLS Cup playoffs. At Lanta United getting ready for their trip to Fort Lauderdale and we'll go over all the juice boxes, go through all the news and the numbers and everything that's attacked. We've invited everybody else from the week back in, so if anybody wants to wander by and sit there and go, it's Friday, and I haven't had the chance to think about anything over the last however many days it was since they were here in the building. So everybody's got the everybody's got the invite, and we'll see what's on everybody's mind as we go here this morning.
Speaker 1: We'll go through.
Speaker 3: Everything in Major League Soccer, everything overseas, news of the am, anything on your mind. We had some interesting stuff happened yesterday during the show where it was announced that Jim Curtin is being relieved of his duties. Mutually agreed to part ways whichever you wish, and then that conversation comes into play.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, tom and good morning, and we'll we'll.
Speaker 3: Get into that since that seems to be a topic of conversation as well. So we got all the stuff overseas, we got all that to get into. We've got all this stuff here to get into. Whatever is on your mind to get into, and we'll get you ready for the weekend across the board.
Speaker 1: So good morning, everybody.
Speaker 3: Let's get into opening Kickoff brought to us by our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. Let me start your day this way from our friends there at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. You hit the QR code and it takes you to Kickoff Coffee. Don't forget to use the code soccer down here fifteen When you check out, you get fifteen percent off your purchase. They in turn take ten percent reinvested into cool things and youth initiatives, very very cool stuff from our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. College soccer right now is in their tournament stages you're seeing, and we go over this a lot with the rundown of what to watch, where to watch it, how to watch it. Some of the stuff is in opening round play, some of it isn't, and some of them are trying to figure out who's going to be attached to the rundowns of every of everything when it comes to who's gonna be making postseason runs and all that kind of stuff. And we'll keep you posted on stuff here in this footprint involving Division two and all the appropriate conferences there, Fun Belt, etc. Don't know if you had the chance to catch a couple of matches in the acc And when North Carolina and Duke get together on the women's side, you know that North Carolina and do get together in anything. It is one of those kind of must see. You know they're gonna trade haymakers for fifteen rounds and figure out maybe a winner after ninety minutes. North Carolina was the four seed going into the tournament. Duke the number one seed going into the tournament. Duke took a one miller lead at the halftime break. Cameron Roller got a PK and then Linda Olmark scores from distance to give North Carolina the equalizer in the fiftieth minute.
Speaker 1: So that gets us to a moment with ten minutes to go.
Speaker 3: After going winless in their previous four meetings with Duke Duke, North Carolina had a chance to win their first over their in state rival since September the eighth of twenty twenty two. September eight, twenty twenty two, you get a moment like this, ten minutes to go, and that's going to go a long way for you, courtesy of our friends at the ACC Network and ACC Extra.
Speaker 1: The guy with the corner.
Speaker 4: Away strong, the defects i NW fake Schemiro exaten minutes North Camrolina lege Duke.
Speaker 2: Well had to be armstrong.
Speaker 3: How this is the player that's been outstanding tonight defensively doing everything.
Speaker 1: She has to do.
Speaker 3: Trinity Johnson's header in the eighty first gets to be the difference. Two second half goals give North Carolina to win. The number one seed is out in the tournament. But there was another moment on the men's side that I don't know if you've had the chance to see. It's probably been on those those top tens that have been all over the place, you know. And when you have a moment like a hail Mary, and I mean literally, time is running out. There's there's no extra, clock's running down, and you end up with a moment like you do, and you sit there, you tip your hat and you're just like yep, Stanford and Notre Dame number seven versus number ten, And it comes down to time running out, and I mean time running out. You're looking at like ten seconds and nine in counting down, So leave it. It leave it to the feet of Dylan Hooper. Dylan Hooper will probably go down in ACC lore anyway for this moment that happened once again courtesy of our friends at the ACC Network and the Atlantic Coast or the All Coast Conference, but now it's the ACCV the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Speaker 1: This moment from Dylan hoops a hail Mary of a shot that on second left. You gotta be kidding me. I've never seen anything like that. Ferguson draws level nothing like that. So there you go.
Speaker 3: So that was the moment Dylan Hooper from his half as time is running out ACCN Network Extra with the call there.
Speaker 1: That's what this part of the season is all about. First goal of the season.
Speaker 3: Stanford got to the second round of the ACC Tournament, advancing to play number two Clemson on the road on Sunday. So Stanford goes to nine to four and four. And we always talk about how you're going to afford programs and things like that. Jeremy Gunn is the head coach at Stanford, and after the match he was asked about it, he goes, it was a crazy game of soccer. Seen a lot and I've been in a lot of games. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that at the end of the game end quote. The men's soccer position at Stanford has what we've been kind of tongue in cheek referring to as the tenured professorship. It is the Knowles Family Director of Men's Soccer at Stanford. It is a sponsored title, the Knowles Family Director of Men's Soccer, Jeremy Gunn. So when you become the head coach of the men's soccer program at Stanford, you become the Knowles Family Director of Men's Soccer. So Jeremy Gunn got the quote as the Knowles Family and literally that is in the release, that is in the post match release for this game. The post match release it was a crazy game of soccer. Knowles Family Director of Men's Soccer, Jeremy Gunseat. So it is a tenured professorship. Good on the cardinal for thinking in three dimensions and if you got to do something, if you got to do something like that, you do something like that. And so sure enough you end up with with that as part of your part of your DNA when it comes to college soccer. Will Riley, by the way, blast out of the past. So Will Riley got a goal in that match too, so blast from the Past Will Riley is a part of the discussion too.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so when you got moments like that in the postseason, very very cool to have these kinds of wild things go down. And since we're there, we'll go ahead and let you know what's going on on the planet as a part of opening kickoff morning, Rich and yes, we are going to talk about Jim Kurt So the women's conference tournament play. Obviously we mentioned the ACC Big ten. UCLA beat Washington two nil in the semis at I guess it's still officially City Park in Saint Louis. It's not quite Energizer Park yet. Ryan Campbell got her fifteenth shut out of the season. Bruins go to the final against Ruggers, and so this is a smart play.
Speaker 1: Meet in the middle.
Speaker 3: You're not having folks come from what's left of the Tupac and heading to go all the way over to the East coast. You meet in the middle, you play in Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Good call.
Speaker 3: So shootout winner over USC and the other semi final was Ruggers. All but the Scarlett Knights were former PAC twelve teams playing in their first season in the B one G. South Carolina knocks off Mississippi State. Mississippi State had a fourteen game win streak. Brionna Beams scores two. Catherine Barry, another fifth year player, had her sixteenth of the season. They're going to face Texas Sunday in the final in Pensacola, Florida. So that was the women's side of things on the UH and so you got to keep an eye on all of that. So what to watch, where to watch it, how to watch it, and we're going to expand it with the colleges and so we'll go there.
Speaker 1: So today.
Speaker 3: Kind of busy, we'll get you ready for everything being and being an Espanol Marseillan h share it to forty five. If you don't have ben, you can get all the b NS at FINTS, FNTZ dot co slash Soccer down here and you can get all the BNS neuester Tela cedio cdo for the fans, tay say uh lego one max Lego one max Pro, all of the above. You can get it at finaates. Be a true degenerate like the rest of US CBS sports Networks got Siri, I let you an employe at two forty five. ESPN two has the English Women's Super League Manchester City and Spurs at two thirty uh.
Speaker 1: Coming up in about a half hour.
Speaker 3: The league that we neither condone, endorse nor promote has a game on FS two once again, be in a n Espagnol simulcasting. League deport this La Liga Ryle viaconnell Os Palmas at three Fox deport this.
Speaker 1: This is very, very busy.
Speaker 3: They have that league that we talk about at nine to forty five, and then at noon Gold TV Portuguese Premier Moro Renz and hil Vicente at three point fifteen Rossing and nacion alaut to Urguay at six thirty. You can catch our buddy at Nino Torres calling a lot of stuff in Portugal this weekend on Goal TV, Amazon Prime. The playoffs are underway in the NWSL. We got to talk about that before we go. Orlando and Chicago at eight Apple TV in season past. Tonight playoffs out West LAFC and Vancouver match Day three at BEMO at ten thirty, which means ten forty listed at ten thirty, so add ten minutes, so ten forty kick with the Vanni Sartini forcing a match Day three and the rest of the white Caps forcing a match day three with LAFC do Zone USA. I have north idea how to get disown USA. I imagine you can dial up Dezone and you can subscribe to it. French Division Ie Feminine, LaHave and Leon at three The Plus we mentioned the Women's super League Bundesligga b Untruk Braunschweigen Hamburg at twelve thirty, while Byaconnellis Palmus at three. Fox Soccer Plus has that noon game in the league that we neither condone, endorse nor promote. Paramount Plus a light day for them. English Championship Friday Night Football Watford Oxford United, that's at three o'clock Syria, and then the Scottish Championship Greenock Morton and Air United at two forty five.
Speaker 1: So that's that's today.
Speaker 3: Obviously tomorrow you've got League UH in WSL playoffs on Big CBS Kansas City and North Carolina League One WREXOM if you're up at seven thirty taking on Mansfield Town CBS Sports Network. ESPN two's got the Bundesleague at nine to thirty. Premier League doubleheader will get into those juice boxes as well, being an Espanol's GOT League uh Strasburg, Monico, Lens nonte Anger and PSG and their triple header hon Duran Primiras on BNN Espanol Municipalimagno and Plateense ESPN Deport's Bundesliga at nine thirty LA Liga has eight, ten, fifteen, twelve, thirty in three, so they're all Lalliga all the time. On Tomorrow, Fox Deportees Siria noon in two forty five Guatemala Liga. This is true to generate stuff. Antiga and Shina Bajul at seven. Hon Duran League Nacional Olympia are friends from Olympia from the concak CAF Hemispheric Extravaganza and UPNFM. That's an interesting blend. Eight thirty goal TV Portuguese, Permira Uruguay Promira, Telemundo's got Lega MX today AND's got Liga MX double header, UNI Versa's got Your double header in the Premier League Lega MX at six Univision simul casting. And then the playoffs four, six and eight with FC Cincinnati, NYC, Orlando City and Charlotte Inter Miami Atlanta United four six eight SO four ten six ten eight ten. Next Pro Cup Final North Texas SC in Philadelphia, Union two is at eight thirty. The Plus has a bolt Looatus stuff on Saturday. Airdavizi Bundesliga Bundesliga b Laaliga Laaliga two USL Championship playoffs. We gotta get into that League one playoffs. We've got to get into that there in the semispox. Soccer Plus has your title game in the Canadian Premier League Cavalry and Forge Golosso Network, Argentina English Championship Syria. The dot com at NBC Sports has your double header simulcast on the Premier League Paramount Plus on Saturday. Argentina English Championship League One Syria NWSL Playoffs. Peacock has everything else in the USL Super League with two matches at seven and one at seven thirty.
Speaker 1: So that's Friday and Saturday. You want to watch, Where to watch it, how to watch it? All right?
Speaker 3: That's opening kickoff, your preview for tomorrow and today. That's your opening kickoff, brought to us by our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot Com. Right there, you start your day with our friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. You click through that and you end up with starting your day with Kickoff Coffee. Don't forget to use the code soccer down here fifteen. You get fifty person off your purchase. They in turn take ten percent reinvested youth games.
Speaker 1: You finish.
Speaker 3: It is very very cool stuff from my friends at Kickoff Coffee and Kickoff Coffeeco dot com. Okay, since Tom mentioned it and Rich is here, we'll go ahead and get into this.
Speaker 1: Tom, welcome back.
Speaker 3: By the way, I know that work gets in the way sometimes morning, Rich, and so Rich, I need your assistance from the Philadelphia side of things to let everybody know what's going on from that perspective. As we talked through this. The question by Tom Rousso this morning the Airborne djit obvious three questions. So I guess we're doing three questions to start. Does Garth call curtain again?
Speaker 1: One? Does he even take the call this time? Two? And do we even want him?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 3: And then Tom goes for is the internece one over Arsenal yesterday? And so all right, so Tom, to answer your three questions. One, does Garth call Curtin again. This comes from Tom Bogert at Gimme Sports and his talk at GMS said that uh in the fall, Earlier in the fall, a couple of months ago, that Atlanta United had reached out to Jim Curtin. Ah, thank you, Rich Rich doing the the public service and letting everybody know about the Union Soccer blog and what's going on through Joe Tansey. All right, So the three questions, does Garth call curtain again? Does he even want does he even take the call?
Speaker 1: His time?
Speaker 3: And do we even want him? Let's work backward. Does Atlanta United want Jim Curtin? I would say on a couple of different fronts, And I'm going to take my Vaughn's, my Vaughn's club card and use it. After a comment where he's referring to plastic, I don't know if you want that here unless you want to sit there and bring in the top. Heel to be the guy in charge of what's going on. So when Jim Curtin talks about plastic fans, do you want that guy standing on your touch line? That would be my first thought. Second, does Garth call curtain again? That goes back to and I'm going I'm jumping from three back to one. Does he even take the call? I don't know if Jim Jim Curtin takes the call. There there is another there's another opening out there that I think would fit and and taking taking the taking the plastic comment from from you know, taking that to the side, and all the other shenanigans that go on. And we've discussed Audenfinitem at Dausium about stylistics, philosophy, all that kind of st oh. I know, I know Rich he was being a wrestling heel. I know, and that's and that's part of his persona. He's being a wrestling heel.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 3: When it comes to if we just take that and put that to the side. Philosophy, I think is the element here that we have to focus on. When Jim Curtin brings out a four four to two diamond and it is physical and you're trying to figure out, you know where you can you know where your line is when it comes to being physical and you're trying to create short fields, be clinical, all that kind of stuff. I just think philosophically, I don't think it fits because the athlete that Jim Curtin has attached to what he did in Philadelphia, not this past season, but you know, say when they were younger. But that whole idea of the four four two Diamond and the athletes that you currently have in Atlanta, I think that would be square peg, round hole. And you don't want to do that considering all the money that you've invested in folks like Miranchuk, Saba, et cetera, and that you have all of this stuff waiting for the off season to invest in and trying to find folks to come and be a part of things. I just think philosophically, I don't think it fit. So that would be that would be it for me. The the the Curtain philosophy here with the personnel on hand in Atlanta, I don't think it's I don't think it matches. I think that if you wanted to take him philosophically and apply him to a situation, I think Saint Louis would be more I'm not gonna use the word appropriate, that would fit better. I think that if you had the Saint Louis style of play, I think that would fit Curtain stylistically more than coming to any other opening, because it is that that to me would be where we are here. So someone that is red bullsyan which is kind of what which is what Saint Louis is with what fun and Steel and Bradley Cornell at the time wanted to create. They wanted to do something red bullsy and where you're pressing short fields, you don't care about possession, those kinds of things, those kind of red bulls light in Saint Louis. But I think philosophically that would fit him better. And I had that John Hackworth would probably sit there and he's probably pressing on the door that would enter into the training facility for for all caps. You know John Hackworth, like you hear a knock on the door and you know it's it's like, who's that, Jim Curtin, John Hackworth, nobody here, you know. So I think that Saint Louis would fit Jim Curtin philosophically. So I don't know if you make that phone call again, So that that would be the bigger element in this for for me looking at things, and I will I will recommend for those of you who might be new to our discussions and too rich and to everyone from the Philadelphia side of things. When this seemed to be getting to its head, to its you know, to its zenith, when it came to the Philadelphia fan frustration and all of that, we did a deep dive into Philly. So go back into our archive on the app and over its spreaker, we did a deep dive into Philadelphia and it was a really cool deep dive where we analyzed everything. And this was what three four months ago when we could kind of see the riding on the wall where Jim Curtin publicly would be frustrated in postmatch comments and it would be thinly veiled. Then it wouldn't be so thinly veiled.
Speaker 1: And so rich.
Speaker 3: To your point, Curtin may have had a strength, a strength in it, but he was also forced to use formations by the GM and the sporting director.
Speaker 1: So with the.
Speaker 3: Resources he had on hand, he was doing four four to two diamond, et cetera with that personnel and with what was being developed through the academy system with Philadelphia Union and Union two. Philosophically, I think that he would be more suited for Saint Louis than he would right now any place else. But go back and listen to the deep dive that we did on Philadelphia across the board, and it was a look at the ownership the investment where they were focusing more on infrastructure and buildings as opposed to bringing in people in transfer fees to help things out. Then, so you saw in the twitch pitch the Joe Tansy piece that Rich linked us to. So Joe Tansy right there at the Union Soccer blog. But I would go back and listen to our in depth run of Philadelphia. We analyzed pretty much everything we could, and Rich being our eyes and ears up there, kind of helped us out navigate what was going on ownership, front office, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Using that as our evidence in hand.
Speaker 3: Plus Jim Curtin in postmatch comments discussing front office and all of the extra year of running it back with the same personnel, not getting a whole lot of investment, that kind of a thing. So you have public comments, and I imagine it was far more heated behind the scenes. So I would say you add one plus possibly one to come up with two. You just get to this point to where after X number of years, you're just kind of like, yeah, we probably should just you know, we should just break up and be friends. So I think that the relationship from that perspective got to the point to where it was untenable. Because if you have a head coach who in his postmatch pressers and and any other press conference is sitting there and discussing lack of resources and what have you and displeasure just general displeasure about the situation and where things are going, it made sense for the two of them to break up. And you know, it's not you, it's me. You know, I need to focus on me to become a better person, all those kinds of things. So that's where it just it gets to a point, it gets to it. So that's where we are. So go back and listen to our breakdown of everything Philadelphia. It's nine point thirty and we now have that that time where we catch up with our friends from beyond goals entering. We get to talk about a couple of different things, including postseason playoffs for a particular mogul in training and find out what it's like to go on the road. We get to find out and see what happened in the opening round of the USL Championship and USL Championship playoffs. But before we do that, we have to run kind of special opens and things. So we're gonna run a special open and then welcome to somebody to the show.
Speaker 1: What's happening cap?
Speaker 5: Good morning?
Speaker 3: So, uh, before we get into two mentoring, did you go to Indianapolis, sir?
Speaker 5: I sure did, and and it was a lovely experience.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, what a what a win? What a game?
Speaker 5: I mean it was. It wasn't obviously a great accomplishment to make the playoffs year one uh for an ISFC, but you know, we we actually felt I felt crazy confident going into that game, where I'm like, we're a year one team or the underdogs were the five seed, but I don't know why. It just felt really confident. I mean, I guess second half of the season we've been I think the third best team in you US up. So yeah, I felt pretty good going into the game and obviously had a great start to the game, and it was a little hairy of a finish as it always is, but it was it was really really awesome to be there and experience.
Speaker 3: It well, you know, and we had the chance to catch up with with Conno for a one v one before the playoffs started, and to be able to I guess, just become more acclimated with one another and what you're trying to sit there, It's like, okay, so I know that if you do this, I get to do this in return becoming more more adjusted to each other on the field, those draws turn into wins.
Speaker 1: And it was a four or five.
Speaker 3: But obviously you had to go on the road in that one, and I did not have JJ Williams and hat trick on my on my bingo card.
Speaker 5: By the way, especially not in back to back weeks. No, yeah, he's been uh, he's been a beast for us obviously, and when we needed it because you know, Albertico, last year's league MVP went down with a groin injury a couple of weeks ago and we thought maybe he was done for the season if it was a hernia, but you know, he's bounced back. But yeah, now we can't get him in the lineup because JJ Williams is scoring six goals in two games. So it's good problems to.
Speaker 3: Have, absolutely, And so now you get to to get to advance to a round number two. Are you traveling this weekend, sir?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately not, and it would be only a four hour drive for me, but I had some plans already lined up. John, So.
Speaker 3: Dude, Oh, Eastern Conference semifinals, that's gonna be uh, it's gonna be fun. Low City and Rhode Island seven thirty on Saturday night. It's on the plus and so cap much like everybody else that is not making the four hour trip from where he is to Louse City and Lynn family has to watch on his favorite streaming device and all that kind of stuff. So congratulations on so far what you guys have been able to accomplish this year. It's been fun to see the growth and the evolution of the draw Kings and knowing that you're going to be a difficult team to play because a lot of times it's going to be one point and you're gonna have to fight in scratching claw for that against Rhode Island FC, and you end up getting the duke and you're going up against the team that you beat the bricks off of. And I thought it was one of the turning points of the season where you guys just went in to lend Family and decided to remind him that you weren't going to be a pushover. Earlier in the regular season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, that was. It was a turning points.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It really marked the difference between the first half and second half of the season for us. And so yeah, hopefully that gives the guys, you know, confidence going in there, because I think lou City probably lost twice at home all season.
Speaker 1: I don't know, ye beat the breaks off a loose city, sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Let's hope it doesn't give them a false sense of like, oh, we're going to go out there and put five up on them again, But hopefully it does give them confidence to go in there and say, hey, yeah, we can do this.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So then let me use that as our entry point when it comes to mentoring and the wide ranging conversations that we always have confidence versus cockiness when it comes to dealing with mentees. How do you when it comes to younger athletes specifically, do you find them to be more cocky when it comes to your first conversations and you have to dial them back into being confident or are they confident in understanding the balance or do you have to try and find confidence and have them focus on that. Where are most of your mentees these days when it comes to their own self identification.
Speaker 1: When it comes to who they are on the field.
Speaker 5: The majority are in the last two buckets. They're either confident yet very wary of getting too confident, or they're not confident enough. And I think that, and it's something I talked to about a lot, is there is a very very fine line between two cocky and uber confident, and you need to toe that in order to have big success in anything, really. And one of the things that I try and get across is you can be a little bit different on the field than you are in life and in the locker room, right, you can be and toe that line, maybe a little bit over on the side of cocky out on the field, and yet still be a you know, a great human being off the field and easy to talk to and get along with and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And you know, I.
Speaker 5: I didn't toe it as much as I try and tell mentees, although I was very confident. I mean maybe I was. Maybe I was actually looking back, quietly confident and a little bit cocky in myself. But two guys, two examples of guys that did it better than anyone else I ever saw or played against, were Clint Dempsey and Joseph Martinez. Yeah, just unbelievable and really good guys and yet just so so confident and cocky on the field, but a good arrogant. So yeah, it's it's definitely something that we talked to them about a lot, because I think some of them are too afraid of being confident and showing up people and and I get that, and that's a that's typically a good thing, but sometimes you have to have that killer instinct out in the field and really take ownership. And so sometimes that can help with.
Speaker 3: That because you've got to figure out and I imagine this obviously comes with agent experience, You've got to figure out when to turn it off, when to turn it on, and make sure that that on the field persona doesn't carry over into the off the field you and I would think that that's it's a delicate balance to try to figure out. It's like, Okay, I know that when I step across that line, I have to be, you know, mister badass extraordinaire. But then remember that once you go back after a match is over and you're out, you know, you're out in the parking lot or you're hanging out at dinner, that person.
Speaker 1: Has to be put to the side.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to take these multiple personalities and understand where to where to turn it off, turn it on, and then put it in the closet and not have it be there as that part of your aura the whole time.
Speaker 5: Totally, totally, And that's that's a big challenge for a lot of people. And that's a big challenge for younger professionals or you know, high level youth athletes where maybe they already are confident and do really well in that area, yet in the locker room or out in just life in general, they need to understand, like some people just don't care, right just because you're a great soccer player, you know, that doesn't mean anything when you're out and about in life doing other things, like you still have a responsibility to be a good human being, and nobody cares that you can kick a soccer ball really well, or that you're a gifted sixteen year old or seventeen year old, whatever it is. It doesn't go that far. So that's that's tough though, because sometimes they get in this world of like, oh, I'm the man or I'm the woman, and I'm everybody bowed down to me because I'm so good, and yet you know, away from the soccer field, nobody cares.
Speaker 3: Then there's that moment where they get that first dose of reality or the dressing down, or it's a blowout or however you want to phrase it, and then that confidence gets shaken in that moment. It's like, well, I you know, I guess I'm not who I thought I was, or I'm not to that level or to that extent of an individual who I thought I was.
Speaker 1: How do you help navigate them to remind them? Look, that's just a one off.
Speaker 3: Don't let that you know, dwell, understand what happened, learn from it, move on and get to the next step. Don't let that weigh you down to take away from who you are and who you want to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, And that's that's tough. And before I talk about that, it's it's one of the main reasons why throughout my career you could see a huge difference between somebody that went to college and somebody that didn't, because you get that dose of humility when you step on a campus and you play with guys, especially nowadays where players don't play high school soccer and a lot of them anyways, I know, some still do, but a lot of them don't, and so they're always playing with kids their own age or maybe a year older. But if you then step into an arena where you're playing with players that are four years old or five years older than you, things change. And those guys don't care if you're on a full ride or you know you're coming from an MLS academy. They don't, right, They know that they probably aren't going to turn pro, but they want to enjoy the heck out of their college career. So, yes, you're a teammate, but yes you're also a competition, and yeah, I'm going to show you your place because you're so much younger than me. And in a good way. That builds humility and you know, it builds like responsibility within players, and you could see it in a professional locker room. You could see the guys that went to college, even if it was for a year, so it was it's part of the growth. And that's exactly how they have to view it when you do get a dose of reality that this is just part of growth and it's necessary and in the long run, good for you. But yes, in the short run, take it in and try and see it from their perspective. Use what you can from it. But yes, of course that doesn't change anything about how you are as a soccer player out in the field, so hopefully it doesn't. It doesn't hurt confidence, that's not the purpose of it. It's more just growth as a player in person.
Speaker 3: So when did you get that first wake up call on a college campus when you first wandered into the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit different for me and a lot of players my generation because we all played high school soccer. So you got that in high school where all of a sudden, you're a ninth grader and you're playing with eighteen year olds who are at the time, you're thinking like, holy shoot, that guy's a man, right, Like these guys are big, they're strong, or I'm like, I'm like ninety five pounds and not mature at all yet physically, And yes, that was I got it in high school a little bit, but for sure you get it in college too, because yeah, I was recruited obviously in expect I had expectations when I showed up at wake but at the same time, you could tell like these guys were like, you better rise up to those expectations like we're depending on you type thing in that situation, so I got a lot of support from the team. I also kind of fell into a good situation where a couple of players got kicked off the team for issues right before I arrived, and there were both defenders, so I kind of worked in my favor. But so, but I definitely went through that in high school a little bit more than college.
Speaker 3: And that obviously set you up because when you're a ninth grade or here in some states you could be an eighth grader because middle school didn't exist, and you get to see somebody who's a full head taller than you, might outweigh you by thirty or forty pounds, and those get to be those first challenges of Okay, he's a lot bigger than I am. How do I attack this and how do I reinforce my own skill set in these kinds of things. So, you know, I definitely can see the idea of Okay, I had that in high school. I can take that experience and apply it now that I'm having to go through it all over again from freshman and seniors in college.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's John's sorry interpreted that that's part of the growth and the challenge of Okay, maybe you're not a freshman or whatever, maybe you're a new player to a team, But how do you find your place within the team, understand the dynamics of a team, and yet still play with that cockiness arrogance of like, yeah, I'm a baller, right, That's that's sometimes the challenge, right, because there are players that, especially if they're old school players, that don't really love that type of player. But if that's what you need in order to play well, you don't want to lose that. So how do you play with it and yet still show respect for your teammates and especially the older players and find your way within the locker room or a new team.
Speaker 3: How long did it take you to find your way where it's like, Okay, this is who I am. I still get to learn from these upper classmen. I get to add that to my skill set. But how long did it take you to adjust as that freshman either high school or college?
Speaker 1: And was that different?
Speaker 3: You know, was the level of adjustment different in high school versus college? How long did it take you to adjust to become a part of the collective? Was it like a full season, you think just it's under to understand the dynamic that was in play a little.
Speaker 5: Bit less for me because I played, And I think that if you're a freshman that doesn't play a lot, it probably takes a whole year just to feel confident around the entire group and sure of yourself and on and off the field. It can be tough because I was playing every game and a lot, like you get a little bit closer and guys depend on you a little bit. But even in that sense, like as a center back, I didn't feel uber confident telling a twenty two year old what to do when I was eighteen, you know, as a college freshman, and even though I'm playing center back in the middle of a three and should be the guy that's, you know, organizing most of the team, like it was, it's a weird dynamic and it takes a lot of confidence to think like, okay, age doesn't matter here, it's it's I'm trying to help the team win. But even in that regard, it took me a little bit of time.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: But then there's the senior who is, you know, either four or five years older than you, and they have to put their pride or whatever word you want to use a side because there's someone who's a lot younger behind trying to tell them what's going on. It has to be on that older person. They've got to be willing to listen and understand that you're not just being that eighteen year old you know, kaky, you know what, trying to tell you know, a twenty two year old look do this. No, it's like, look, do this and we'll all be fine. That's that's got it, that two way streak coming from the older player back to the younger player. That's got to be an adjustment too, you know for sure.
Speaker 5: And there's no doubt about it that you can have this attitude out in the field or arrogance or ability to talk to older players and they will be more receptive of it based off of who you are in the locker room, what you do off the field, right, do you do things the right way? Do you respect people? Like all that stuff, And that's why that's so important because that way when you get on the field and like, if a younger player is telling me what to do, if I know what's coming from a good place, that's helped the team win. And this guy's not just being an a hole and thinks he knows better than me or whatever. It is, right, because I know and I see on a daily basis what he's doing to prepare himself, that he takes the game seriously and all that stuff. But if he's a last guy in the locker room, first guy out, barely does anything in the gym and all that stuff, and then you're gonna come on the field and tell me what to do. That's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: How much reorienting do you have to do for men tees and dress them down and set them, set them straight about their their attitudes? Are they are those more outliers in a bell curve?
Speaker 1: How is that for you?
Speaker 3: When it comes to talking to those men tees? It's like how many how many times have you had to sit there and really reel somebody in and give them the the you know, the the dunk of the cold water glass over the top of the head and go now it's not gonna work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those are outliers.
Speaker 2: But it occurs.
Speaker 5: And you know, every team has has a player or too probably that could use it. Some players some teams have more uh and and sometimes it's the parents that just can't get through to them, or sometimes it's egged on by the parents honestly. Uh and and again it's it's that balance of like not killing confidence, but understanding how important it is who you are as a human being and what your actions are off the field and how they show people who you are. Like I make these videos and I talk about these things all the time, Like you see, for example, Hector Herrera spit at the feet of a referee. You know, it's it's attitudes things, and you know, we see it at the highest highest level, So of course we're going to see it at the youth level. But if that's a high school kid that does it in a game, any scout that's watching is a permanent X. A permanent X, there's no chance you get recruited, right, And so it's yes, these who you are and how you carry yourself and your actions and reactions and how you communicate with guys on the field. It's noticed. It is absolutely noticed, and it will overshadow anything you.
Speaker 1: Do with the ball.
Speaker 5: You'd have to be the best player in the country if you're going to be in a hole and still go to a college or get drafted to a team because honestly, for most organizations, it's not worth it. It's not worth the headache.
Speaker 3: Michael Parkers Beyond Goals Mentoring, hanging out with us on the Friday free kick before maybe a round of golf, maybe going back into the bunker to look at tape for Rhode Island FC as they get ready for a trip to lu City this weekend in the Eastern Conference Semifinals gets to hang out with us every once in a while and ask and gets questions asked about mentoring and mentees with all the work that he and Greg Garza do at Beyond Goals Mentoring at BG Mentoring on the two hundred and eighty character app, and he is at m F Parkers on the two hundred and eighty character app.
Speaker 1: When it comes to.
Speaker 3: Dressing somebody down and you mentioned parents, how much of an issue I'm not going to say problem. How much of an issue are parents these days in steering their student athletes in one direction before you get to try and over correct them and make sure that the parents understand that there's something larger at play here. How much intervention I guess maybe how much over correcting or how much correcting have you had to do when it comes to your mentees.
Speaker 5: A little bit here and there. It's a fine line, of course, right, parents are doing their best and they want.
Speaker 3: Them, But then there are sometimes where parents turn into like the dad who was the manager of the Yankees and Bad News Bears, the Vic Morrow character, where you get that kind of a stereotype. I mean, so they're out there, but I would imagine, as you said, that they're the edges of the bell curve. And thankfully they're not more closer to the middle of that bell curve in these situations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of the most important things that parents of youth athletes need to understand is they can affect the child's ability to make a team or a school or something. And I don't know if I've told you on the show before or not, but we were we recruited, not recruited. We went and saw a player for Rhode Island FC, a young teenager and play, and we decided not to pursue him because we could see that the dad was going to be a real pain in the you know what, and this is not worth it. And so if we're saying that, there's no doubt about it that college coaches are saying it too. They don't want to deal with a parent that's going to helicopter, going to call every week, right, going to be on the sidelines, go nuts. It can affect your athlete's chances here and there, And I think that's important for them to understand because they have the best for their children, but sometimes they're unable to control themselves or see the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Pressure in a deadline situation.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's a team that you played for that they are in a winter go home situation, and it's not the first time in a row that they're in a winter go home situation in recent history. They win last day, the last match of the opening of the regular season, they win the eight to nine to advance, and right now they are a win away from knocking off the number one seed in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: How when you're in a situation like this where everyone's kicking dirt on you and you keep proving everybody wrong. You prove them wrong, you prove them wrong. Everything's coming together and you are you're at the you're at the table, and you're you're running sevens elevens. I mean, you are just rolling everything and everything's great. How do you in a in a situation like this balance the idea of good pressure and is there any bad pressure at this point considering what's at stake? I mean, how do you how do you balance those notions of pressure in a situation where it seems to be the pressure might have flipped to the favorite now because of what you've been able to do? How do you handle pressure in a situation like this where it's win.
Speaker 1: Or go home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, You're gonna feel pressure, no doubt about it. It's a playoff game, it's a big one, so you're going to feel pressure. But that's okay. Uh pressure, I talk about it all the times, okay, And it can be perceived as a good thing. And then for at Lanti United situation, absolutely it's a good thing because Miami face much more pressure than at Lanni United in this game.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 5: At Miami's fragile right now. I think they are, and you can see that they get frustrated.
Speaker 1: They you know, sowar as.
Speaker 5: This body language is brutal sometimes and I really think if they can get to halftime zero zero or even wherever it might be, Miami or fragile like, they will be on top of each other in the locker room. They'll be starting to freak out and things open up, and you know, Atlanta have shown that they can score against Miami. That's not a problem, So you know, I'd look at it. It's such such an awesome opportunity to knock out the clear favorites of MLS Cup and you know you're playing with house money. No one expected there to even be a game. Three MLS brass is probably over there pooping themselves thinking, holy smokes. The only reason why they're not actually is because it's Atlanta and at Atlanta goes through, like I guess they wouldn't have a home.
Speaker 1: Game likely, but they're done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah they're themselves. And so I would take that and really embrace it. Yeah, of course you're gonna feel some pressure, but I mean, no one expected it. So you're really playing with house money here.
Speaker 3: When what's that feeling like in a locker room where? And like I said, you can go back as far as high school and college or pros or if there was any example for you when you're in a situation like this and it is a house money situation, do you I mean you're playing freer. I would imagine but how much freer are you playing knowing that you can't just kind of yolo.
Speaker 1: Everything and go out there.
Speaker 3: But obviously the you're sitting there and you're stared at the other guy in a staring contest, and you're going, okay, yeah, all right, I'm ready. You know, what's that kind of confidence like in a situation like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the best example for me person is probably like Champions League games, right, where you're playing in Champions League. So there's pressure, right, you want to perform well, you don't want to get embarrassed, you want to show well. But we are a minuscule team compared to playing against Chelsea, Juventus and Shack Tar, right, no one expects us to come even close in these games. Right, So you're kind of out there like, hey, let's show them what we got. Let's shock the world here, and let's give a good performance. And if we lose, like hey, let's at least feel proud about like what we go out there and show. And so you're still going to feel pressure because you understand that you know you can do something crazy, and yeah, you don't want to lose and you don't want your season to be over. So there's going to be pressure. But I think that in this situation, the the possibilities and the dream I think overshadow the the pressure and the nervousness come kick off where I think it's the opposite for Miami. I mean outside of the stars.
Speaker 3: And especially the young kids in that situation who are on that roster, surrounded by the gulf stream galacticos, and it's just like, you know, you don't want to let the big names down, but there's that pressure, that internal pressure of okay, you know, I'm kind of like almost on eggshells here because I don't want to mess up. But I have this I have this thought pattern those younger players might be really tight, and you have those that have been there before and the ones that are really tight, and there doesn't there probably isn't some kind of an in between, and it's gonna make for an it makes for an interesting, uh staring contest for those younger players that you're going to be playing against.
Speaker 5: Totally, and that's why I'm surprised, honestly that Gresslow hasn't played much for Miami. I mean, I'm surprised I brought in the Kumashki player. You know, he's a good young player, but he makes a mistake that leads to Atlanta's goal. You know, they're late in the game trying to take that ball down, and you don't think he's going to be a little tense here going into game three.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: That's to be on the back line or to be a midfielder and not be one of the big guys on the team. It's very difficult, right, because you're expected to be perfect and if you're not and you end the season, you end messy season, right, You're going to feel brutal. Right, So you're like, man, I don't want to make a single mistake and that's a really tough way to play. So if I would land on land anytime I got a one on one, like, I'm just going after these guys because you know, just put them under pressure.
Speaker 3: And then what's it like to see a bald polar bear at the age of forty where life begins and you're a man? According to Mike Gundy, what's it been like for you to see Brad come through all of this and just be out of his mind to time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I send him a text after game one and I'm like, dude, stop acting like you're tired, You're a sicking goalkeeper, Like come on. So he responded and said he was dead tired, and then like, come on, man.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that you've used other words other than yeah, come on now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's it's crazy. I mean, I can't imagine how my body would feel if I was still playing. So, I mean, I know he's a goalkeeper, but you know, even what he does, you know, at the end of the season, and to have those performances, yeah, that's that's a lot. And to know, like, hey, you're kind of on the brink, right, I know he wants to play again next year, but there's no contract there, I don't think, so, I don't know. It's a little iffy. And to do that, like that's a little bit of pressure, right, same thing with Dax, right, you don't want your career to end here. And so yeah, I'm happy for him. He's putting in some good performances.
Speaker 3: Well, he told he did tell Saba. Saba's got a bet with him that if they win MLS Cup he's coming back. So and that bet still is in play. So so you got to talk to Saba and Dax about that one. What's going on with you and beyond goals and Greg.
Speaker 5: What is going on? Just doing a lot of videos. We definitely are on the hunt now for the right fit to add to our team in a former female, well current female female. I meant former college athlete. So yeah, we'll see. We want to expand and bring a female on and that's a that's a high priority between now and jen One.
Speaker 3: Very very cool as always, Cap It's great to see you. What are the planes this weekend that you're not able to go to Louisville? You're playing golf? You want to you want to scramble?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: No, John, it's not that exciting poorly timed triple date that's been in the works for a while and going to a comedy show and staying at a hotel and so it'll be fun, no doubt about it. Just just poor timing.
Speaker 3: Can you shift the comedy show to UH to Louisville, make it make a weekend out of it with the trip date? Have just get everybody in like a like a like an uber or like a jeep wagonear or something and take everybody to hey field trip, We're gonna go here.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if the comedian is gonna find it too funny if I'm watching the game on my phone as he's up there performing, he or she.
Speaker 3: Hey, well, I mean you get the comedian to sit there, and you could be a fodder for the comedian.
Speaker 1: I'm busy, I'm an owner here, and then you can get into the discussion with the comedian. As always, my friend.
Speaker 3: Great to see you, great to catch up with you, Great to find out what's going on with Beyond Goals minnering, and always fantastic to pick your brain about these situations and how you and Greg and everybody are impacting folks. Enjoy your triple date, and I know that you're gonna have a I know that you're gonna ask for a table in the back of.
Speaker 1: The room so you can sit there and watch what's going on with Lucy, no doubt about it. All right, be good, friend, Yeah, all right, be good.
Speaker 3: That's Michael Parkers, everybody, and so Cap is on a roll, Rhode Island, f C, Atlanta United, all the points, all the points. So he's a very busy time and it's always great to catch up with our friends at Beyond Goals mentoring and find out what's going on. Okay, So who's here this morning? Tom Russo is here, Rich Ransom is here, Michael Head is here, and for Card is here. Good morning, four Card, Morning Jordan, and apparently according to Jordan, it looks like Sergei Busquet is out again. Morning Harry and morning four Cards. So there we are this morning, and it's it's yeah in four Card. It's really cool. Four Card says he loves having Cap on the show on Fridays. It's great to be able to pick Greg Garz's brain, in Michael Parkhurst's brain about how they're impacting folks through beyond goals mintoring and to be able to share their wisdom and apply it to not just mentoring student athletes and that kind of stuff, to the every day because these lessons also apply to all of us in our data day. So in a way, when they're not traveling the planet and bettering humanity as they do, it's a chance for us almost to get our own mentoring session. And I've always thought that to be very very cool to be able to understand where talented professional athletes are coming from and how it can apply to us in the day to day.
Speaker 1: So that.
Speaker 3: Was that's a thing, a cool thing for me to be able to have this kind of pick your brain half hour with the two of them and find out how things are in professional soccer, and how things are with the up and coming student athlete, and how they are with not just athletes but young folks, and how we can learn from that, and how we can take that information and turn it toward others. So in a way, it's like I said, it's like our own mentoring session, and then we can take the information and spread it to others and we can continue to just you know, touch others with what Michael and Greg get to teach us on Fridays at nine thirty. So it's always cool to have the Friday free kick and see what's going on there. Okay, So yeah, Jordan good vibes on a five strip Friday with Parky and you know four card.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I actually get to see the emojis now, Okay, So because there were times where with the old software you couldn't see the emojis when they're when they're popping up. But now apparently you can see the emojis as they go. All right, So we've got all of the stuff to preview, We've got juice boxes to look at. We've got the officials to look at in this weekend, and so what we'll do now we'll go over the assignments for the weekend, the match day three assignments courtesy of our friends at PRO and you can go to Pro Referees dot com and you can see them. But here's the rundown of who's doing what this weekend. For tonight LAFC and Vancouver at BEMO ten forty start. Joe Dickerson is the man in the middle, reserving comment. Jeremy Keiso is your AR one, Kylie Smith your AR two. Your fourth is Armando via Real. Chris Penso is your VA R. T j Z A BLOCKI is your A v R. So you have Chris Penso at VAR. You have Joe Dickerson in the middle. Tonight in Los Angeles, reserving comment tomorrow the three matches tomorrow, FC Cincinnati and NYC four o'clocks of four ten at t q O. Drew Fishers is in the middle. Logan Brown and Michael Barwagon are your ars. Pierre Looke Loosier is your fourth. Your VR is Kevin Stott, Tom Supple is your A v R. And what you're seeing in these situations with var and a v ar. As you're seeing these pairings consistent, and I think that that's just as important when you have the experienced referees that know how to to calm things down and read temperatures of rooms. You have the pairings for your var and your av ar, they are consistent as well going forward, so you don't have a different avar with a var, so you know what the conversations are like, you know how someone might respond in a situation like that. And something that just kind of hit me the other day. Oh, they're having consistent lineups in the booths as well, and so it's not just one or the other.
Speaker 1: So it's not just random dude, Oh, who do you want to have?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, oh, okay, so we'll have that this dude paired with center var. So you're having these folks line up with each other throughout the season. It just literally it was like I was today years old. So til you know, til you pay your var and your avar throughout most of the season and especially in the postseason. I think that's what the kids do. Is til Or a purple team, and Charlotte in Middle Florida is mere Pek Mitch is the man in the middle at six ' ten. Nick Yurannga, Jeffrey Greeson your ar. Sergey Boyco is your fourth. Ismael l Fath is your var. Jonathan Johnson is your avar. And I think that that is just as important in a VAR setting as it is a center ref setting, where you have someone with experience who knows how to read a room and those kinds of things. To have an Ismael l Fath. As much as I enjoy having Ismail el Fath and Jayramrufo outside, I think it's just as important to have Ismael el Fath if you can't be outside and in the middle, have him in a VAR position where he knows what it's like to be in high pressure situations and things like that for an elimination game in an opening round of a playoffs. Here then for Messi and Friends in Atlanta United in Fort Lauderdale, the erector set Lucas Sapala is in the middle. Corey Rockwell Andrew Bigelow. Corey Rockwell has been voted in the past year Ar the Year. Rockwell and Bigelow your ars. Tory Penso is your fourth. Jose Carlos Rivero is your VR, Mike camp Minor is your AVAR. So that's where they are in the booth. And you've got Lucas z Apala as your center F for this match day three. And let me double check Michelle Kaufman to see what she has to say, because Jordan with what you mentioned involving who is and who isn't. So Michelle Kaufman, let's see if she has a break down the playoff series. Boosy and Bright status NIMA and so it looks like Boosy and Bright were the two that were not engaged earlier in the week when it came to practice and they were trying to There was one day where Bousy and Bright were not available in the opening visual session where the media could be on the field and they could see all of the early rondos and things like that, Boosy and Bright were not around. So, uh, you're looking at Lepeers and I'm gonna like I'm scanning the article. So uh, with Michelle Kaufman's article quote, other Miami players have to step up. Last game, the team was missing Busketts due to illness. He's like an assistant coach on the field, making smart decisions directing others to do the same. His leadership was missing. Busqutt's absence was even more noticeable in the second half after Yannick Bright, one of the team's most reliable, defensive minded midfielders, left the game with a hamstring injury. And this goes back to what we were talking about. Neither Buskets nor Bright was that the open media training session Wednesday morning, and their availability for Saturday's game is unknown whether they play or not. Teammates fowed to win at home move on to the next round. Fredericka Rodondo quoted beautiful thing about soccers that it doesn't matter what happened in the past.
Speaker 1: You have to win in the present.
Speaker 3: Everything we did in the past is for not If we don't win this week, I hope Saturday we did the first game and are able to win in advance. Redondo is asked why Atlanta is such a tough matchup. They're always a difficult opponent. They are very tough. We have to go at them, and they have a goalkeeper who in these past two games has played great between the posts. David Martinez said the team remains calm and confident heading into the clinching game at home. Rodondo adds that the loss of Yanick Bright was a big one. Yanick is an extra quote. Janick is an extraordinary player who helps us so much defensively. He's a tireless worker on the ball, very disciplined. Having him on the field next to you makes you better. We would miss him if he can't play this weekend. Heading into Saturday's game, Intermiami players motivated to live up to expectations, Redondo quoted minlest is a very unique league because any team can beat any other team. We're seeing that with Atlanta. They barely got into the playoffs while we came in as the top team. We've been the best all season, and they're making this series very complicated for us. I think that's a good thing about this league that any team can pull off a surprise. So that's the questions are boosy and bright. Traditionally I would think that those to have a holiday that's boosy and bright. That seems like something that's more Christmasy than November the ninth. But we will all be down there. Maddie and I will be down there, Jason obviously, and Mike will be down there. Remember broadcast is on Star ninety four because the Hawks are on ninety two nine in the game, So the Hawks are on ninety two nine. The game Atlanta United with Mike and Jason five Stripes Countdown starts at seven, kickoff at eight ten.
Speaker 1: That's going to be on Star ninety four.
Speaker 3: SDH will be down there as a matter of fact, flying down tomorrow morning and we'll be down there getting in early afternoon and we will be there. You'll just set your notifications on social media for me and Maddie and Mike and Jason and everybody. You know what's going on down there in Fort Lauderdale at the Erector Set, So set your notifications on all of our social media platforms. SDHILL be down there for the decision, the decider Game three, so be ready for all of that tonight. As we mentioned, it is LA and Vancouver, and you wonder which LAFC team is going to be there at BEMO Obviously it is a massive home field advantage for them at Bemo Field Remo Stadium, Bemo Stadium because BEMO Field is in is in Toronto, Ontario for Toronto FC and they are not in the playoffs, so at home this season, LAFC at home eleven two and four. The only team that was better than them at home in the Western Conference lag At thirteen one and three at LAFC eleven two and four at BEMO this year away from home, they're fairly you know, they're fairly normal. They were eight six and three in the regular season away from home. And you're looking at a team in Vancouver that's riding in is an eight seed, and they're just like, yep, okay, we got them three nil at home, and you know, we're we're cool. We're gonna go in there, We're gonna do our thing and we are going to make life trouble for LAFC. You remember Nico Moreno yesterday said that, uh, you know, Olivier Gerroux hadn't been all that since he's been there at LAFC. So, uh, it will be interesting to see what LAFC does. Obviously, you get that push, and we all know about that home field push and what it's gonna You know, you look at bu Wanga and Bogush and all of these weapons that they have at LAFC. Hugo lures between the sticks, all of air, all of these weapons that they have and and they have been fantastic this season, sixty three goals scored. They were third in the Western Conference. Actually fourth in the Western Conference, so they were fourth, but not by much. And it was the two teams at sixty five with RSL and Portland, and then you had LAG at sixty nine goals. But LAFC at home tremendous in their eleven two and four run. You look at the juice boxes in this one and no real surprise, you had the two. You have the two games on Saturday leading up to Atlanta United and Messian Friends, where the I think, I think the juwice boxers just got kind of a little lazy and oh no they changed things. Okay, so LAFC juice boxes minus won sixty seven LAFC to win ninety minute draws, A plus three thirty four. Vancouver went outright, so a plus four hundred in the composite three ninety nine. That's courtesy of our friends at odds Portal and Odds Portal. What they do is they have, I have a list of fourteen different in this case, they have fourteen different juice box purveyors, and they take all the numbers Adam together come up with an average and that's where we are. So you end up with Vancouver in La. Vancouver basically is a plus four hundred. No real surprise that the number is like that. You get Ryan White, you get to Bryan White from Ryan gauld and Armstrong and taka Oka who has been on he has been between the sticks. He has been hard to take advantage of at home, and so a team that was two games over five hundred on the road this year gets to go back home and try to take advantage of things Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Honestly, get this.
Speaker 3: Vancouver at home this year was only one game over five hundred in the regular season seven six and four. How were they on the road? One game under five hundred. That's how you end up at thirteen thirteen and eight. Literally one game above five hundred at home, one game below five hundred on the road. Fairly tight plus three in goal difference. They scored fifty two on the year in the regular season, so thirty four and fifty two is eighteen, so almost a goal and a half average on the year. So how do they respond being on the road? Sorry I had that reverse. They were better at home, I mean they're better on the road. They were one game above five hundred on the road. This year, I had that flipped. So seven six and four on the road, six seven and four at home, so I had that flipped. They were better by one match, by one win on the road than they were at home. So we'll see what happens. But you know, Beny Sartini once again, uh, not afraid of anybody, and that one eight is going to be tonight. That one to eight is tonight. Then the three matches tomorrow, Cincinnati and NYCFC. And in this one, you know, mentioning the juice boxes and how things are and how things might have been a little different. Initially, all week long, you could take the Cincinnati favorite number and the Orlando City favorite number and double it and you end up with inter Miami's number to minus two fifty six. That changed a little bit. The margins grew to where it's minus one eighteen and one nineteen and inter Miami Messi and friends are now to minus two fifty six to win at home. We bring in Jared for our number two.
Speaker 1: How are you, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, how are you?
Speaker 1: It's a it is it is a Friday, and everyone is is dialed in as.
Speaker 2: We say, I mean, yeah, we got uh, we got two days of game threes coming up. Yeah, the state of Louisiana might implode.
Speaker 3: Okay, So for those that haven't heard, go ahead and tell that story, because that one's a piece of work.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, a long time ago, in a galaxy are far away, Louisiana State universities fighting tigers used to put their tiger mascot on the field before games. So the legend goes to my understanding is that if the tiger roared for every roar, it would be a touchdown for them that day. So it was like a good omen Uh. This led to them, as my understanding, antagonizing the beasts and making it roar more, trying to coax more touchdowns out of the damn animal. All this to say, they haven't put the tiger on the field in a.
Speaker 1: Long ass time, in a decade, I think, I believe.
Speaker 2: So they have a if you ever go to LSU, they have a very lovely enclosure for Mike the Tiger that he basically just lives in, just living his best life over there. That being said, the Governor of Louisiana, who has never met a controversy he does not like, has decided to to He wanted the tiger on the sideline for Alabama. LSU this week, ls you said, now we're good. They said, no, he lives there, he doesn't stay on the field. We don't do that anymore. The governor said, I want a tiger on the field and LSU said no, So he went and ordered a tiger from out of state. It's a tiger named Omar from Florida. This is just going to end poorly for everybody. Also, the person who apparently this tiger has actually like gotten out before. The tiger has a record of escaping. They're just good, but they're gonna put the damn animal on the sideline. And John, if they lose Alabama with a fake tiger on the sideadline, they might impeach the governor tomorrow morning. Oh my god, like that might be what happens Sunday morning. The governor doesn't have a job anymore, yeap, because he just decided to yolo it.
Speaker 3: And I just had this vision of the Billy Nunguess are sitting there and leading that charge. It is so literally what they're doing is they are they have gone out of state.
Speaker 1: Yep. And apparently this dude.
Speaker 3: Is like he rents out this tiger, and the governor is like, Okay, well I'm going to rent a tiger and I'm going to I wonder it's you know, it's kind of like renting a car.
Speaker 1: Literally, it's like you call the dude up.
Speaker 2: It's not quite tiger King, but it's also not not quite tiger King.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and literally the this tiger has escaped twice from his handler and his real estate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have this.
Speaker 3: This doesn't really bode well at all with this animal feline history of escape at a night game in Baton Rouge involving Alabama.
Speaker 2: What It's functionally an elimination game. By the way, LSU and LSU and BAMA both cannot afford to lose this game if they even want to keep their hopes of playoff berths alives. This is functionally an elimination game. Also functionally a how much does Kaitlin want to Kaylen de Bor want to have to replace the glass in his house if it gets shattered after this game, even though it's on the road. Yeah, man, like not even like the animal welfare of it all, but like because of the the superstition and pageantry that is college football. If this goes poorly, LSU fans are going to shit a chicken because somebody will have brought it out of state tiger that isn't their own tiger into their stadium and they will have all of the questions known to mankind. The Mike the Tiger Twitter account has already started sub tweeting all of this, like, I love this sport for all of the wrong reasons. This is going to get somehow dumber before it doesn't. And just to get there, we still have to again go through MLS playoffs for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And Rich makes the point, it is a Florida Tiger, So let's bring in Jason. Uh So, you see where our conversation started. The timeline JAREDTT basically led into us about five minutes ago discussing artificial tigers in SEC football.
Speaker 1: It's a fake tiger.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not a fake tiger. It's a real tiger. But it's not Mike the Tiger that is the official mascot of LSU. It's an import from Florida.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good. Oh it's not.
Speaker 2: Also, the Mike the Tiger Twitter account, like the Twitter account of the Tiger that I guess like one of his handlers, probably Runs, has started subtweeting everything possible about the imported tiger.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, fair enough. Yes, this has gotten exceptionally stupid.
Speaker 2: Yes, well yeah, like I told them, this is functionally an elimination game for Alabama and LSU. The loser is not going to make the playoff, so it's even funnier.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine Paul finebaumb on Monday. They don't want to that's I mean, that's where we are with this. Oh yes, Zat's Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a real fake tiger. Again, it's not quite Tiger King, but it's also not not Tiger King.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Anyway, there are there are actual soccer games, including tonight, that we should probably discuss as well. Everybody can pay attention to the tiger later.
Speaker 1: Yes that's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So yes, so Jason, before we get into uh inner Miami and Atlanta United tonight tonight tonight. Quoting Genesis H Phil collins Brand, we have a we have a game where Vancouver as an eight seed as a plus four hundred going to LAFC in an elimination game. Uh, not that you've really spent a whole lot of time focusing on that one, considering there's one that's far more important.
Speaker 1: But thoughts on the one eight dare you three?
Speaker 2: I know Danny Sartini will find you eat your liver.
Speaker 1: Vanny Sartini will be very happy if LAFC plays the wrong lineup. And that's what this skits is gonna come down to, you know, and said it. When they signed Olivier Erude, did they need him? Did he make them better by adding to that roster? Not really, and he potentially created some very complicated situations like this one. They're better without him in the starting lineup, but they have to make the decision to leave a World Cup winner on the bench, and that's look not an easy decision to make. But when you sign these kinds of players and you're an LA Galaxy, an LAFC, an Inner Miami some other clubs in the league have done this before too, you have to have everybody on the same page and you have to figure out how the best to use that player. I think the Galaxy have figured out how to use Marco Royce very effectively. I think he was on board with it. I don't know what the situation is with LAFC, but I think it's pretty clear that this team is best with Matteos Bogush up top, and they need to do that in an elimination game, and if they don't, they're giving Vancouver an opportunity to pull an upset. I think LAFC wins. I don't think it's pretty I think it's going to be a long night in general, because even in Game one, Vancouver made it a kind of long night. The score line was a little flattering because the Vancouver goal came at the very very end. But LAFC should win this. They need to make the right choices in the lineup and if they do, they'll they'll win. If they don't, they open up the door to chaos.
Speaker 3: And we enjoy opening up doors to chaos. Jarrett, your first question for Jason here on a freestyle Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to Jason's point, LAFC did this the year they won the Cup when they brought in they brought in the golfer extraordinair.
Speaker 1: But they figured out he was the bench, didn't they They did, But it took him like two months.
Speaker 2: It took him like two months of trying to shoehorn his ass and to line up before going He needs to come off the bench and we'll win a cup than they did. And it was kind of complicated. Sorry, Rich, but they took him a lot to figure that out. That you can't do.
Speaker 5: This isn't FIFA.
Speaker 2: You can't just shoehorn players in and just expect to hit a button in it magically works. I actually want to ask you about one of the other games before we get to Atlanta is on the East Coast. We have another game three. I think someone from Charlotte deemed this operation Bugs Bunny that it is up to Atlanta and Charlotte to do the bugs Bunny jiff of sowing the state of Florida off. Charlotte has to go try and saw Orlando in Orlando. What's your thoughts on that one coming up?
Speaker 1: How did Atlanta go into Orlando and be the only team to beat them in their building in the last five or six games. They were aggressive off the jump. What has Charlotte's issue been all season under Dean Smith? They've been defensive? They have to be aggressive this Orlando team. Look, there are some similarities between Orlando and Miami. I think both teams are substandard defensively. Orlando has pretty much the same group defensively that they've had for a long time. Robin Johnson hasn't gotten younger, he didn't find the fountain of youth in Central Florida. Rodriguo Schlegel is a downgrade from Antonio Carlos and it's a team that you can get at, and Atlanta did with two goals early and it was enough. Charlotte's got to be more aggressive, and I think they've got to start Patrick Agumon and they've got to get him in behind, and it's it's doable, but you have to be brave, and I just don't know if they will. If you're not, then you need Christian Kalina to stand on his head, which he has before. I mean, it can happen. You probably will need to get through in penalties, which you can and you have, you've done it before last game. But this is an Orlando team that you can beat even in their building. They're very good. They're very good attack wise, and you have to respect that. But I think what we're seeing play out in these playoffs, and I think just the theory that I subscribe to you, when you have teams like Miami and Orlando that are tilted, they're much better offensively than they are defensively. The easy way to try to deal with that is to be defensive, to try to take away their attack, and then hope that a limited attack will beat their limited defense. I think the best way is the opposite. I think you go at them, you break them, you score goals on them, and then you put the pressure on their offense, which is very good, and you can look. You can start aggressively and if it doesn't happen in fifteen twenty thirty minutes for you and it's going to be a slog, okay, then you can bunker down for the log and you can be defensive. But I think you have to try to exploit their weakness first rather than try to take away their strength. That's the approach in my opinion. And I just don't know if Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Will do it, okay, So I'll ask about FC Cincinnati and NYC, So then Jared can start the questions with Atlanta United and Inner Miami, FC Cincinnati and NYCFC.
Speaker 1: What do you think Cincinnati should do it? I think NYC is about who they are, like when you look at where they are in the table, you look at the quality of that team, you look at what they've done this season, I think they've pretty much gotten what they should get out of that group, and even a Cincinnati group that is not as good as they were in the first half of the season before injuries affected their center back room, they still should be able to get through this NYC team. I just don't think NYC has really progressed over the past couple of years. I think Cincinnati's got enough on both sides of the ball, and they should get it done. I think they will. I think they'll advance. I think it'll be like a three to one kind of game. It's not going to be a blowout, but I think it will be a semi comfortable win for Cincinnati. All right, Jared, go for it.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna break the rules. I'm gonna ask you a question about NYC because their coach has been in the news recently with Nick Cushing. It sounds like he's going to be back at NYC. I know it's like a move that I thought he would be a guy who I did not think he would survive twenty twenty four. They stabilized, they were fine, but move to keep him and does it limit their ceiling potentially by doing so. I know that's like not really a fair question, but I'm asking you anyway.
Speaker 1: I think he's a fine coach. I don't have an issue Nick Kushing is a coach, so I don't think he limits their ceiling. I think they just need a better roster. I don't think they have a good enough roster to get into that top tier in the East. And you know, look at the right this season, that top tier has been Miami, Columbus, Cincinnati. I think Orlando is a step down. Cincinnati, you could say, is a half step behind Miami Columbus. Now Columbus, you have questions, do they keep Kucho or Nandez if they don't got to get that replacement right or you're not in that same tier. Miami's going to be a year older. Questions obviously about how that affects them, because you never know when father time reaches up and slaps you in the face. Atlanta's going to be better than they were this past year. They're gonna have a better roster, and we know that for a minut You're going to have other teams in the East that are going to be aggressive and go out and try to make their roster better. So NYC has to do that, and if they don't, I don't think it really matters who the manager is. I think Cushing is a very good manager. I think he'll get the best he can out of what he has to work with. But he's got to have more to work with to be a contender in the East in my opinion. Okay, since Jarrett went there, I'll go there and fill in the other holes. Yesterday, actually the news broke during the show for a change, Jim Curtin out in Philly, and then Bruce Arena the night before is going back into the coaching business in San Jose with multiple titles. What do you think about those two? Bruce Arena to San Jose. He'll make them better. I don't like the multiple titles thing. I think even if you are that, in reality, I don't think it's a good look because it's two full time jobs and I think it's very hard to do it. And that's why maybe Sporting Kansas City has had some limitations with Peter Vers, he's surely being the only one to do that. I think Greg Burheld is going to have these same issues in Chicago. You have to again, even if you are the ultimate decision maker, I think I would not want it to be put out there that I am the sporting director and the technical director alongside being the manager. Would I want somebody in that role that I vibe with and I can direct, absolutely, But don't put that on me. Like put that on somebody else and I'll tell them what to do behind the scenes. Like that to me, you just set yourself up for lots of criticism on two different fronts as opposed to just one. But I think Arena will make them better. He is a very competent manager. He did very well in New England before the wheels fell off.
Speaker 2: And schedule the New England game right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean look in the season with it. I'm fine with it. I don't know what happened exactly. There's all kinds of conjecture and there's all kinds of whispers like is it somebody in Richie Williams who knew he wasn't going to come back, who found his escape hatch to stay in a role which they had a bad year renewing the revolution too, But doesn't look like he's going anywhere? Is it?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Arena said things that he shouldn't have said, even if they were in private company. Is it Arena being an old man who probably is speaking out a turn for what twenty twenty four going into twenty twenty five is probably all of the above. Honestly, he's a good coach. He's going to go there and make them better. But kind of go back to the same idea, like what's the ceiling for San Jose. It's not very high because you have an ownership group that isn't really going to spend. And look, we had the same conversation about Arena going to New England. You know, remember this was the exact same conversation about well, you know, why is he going to New England? They're not going to spend? Well, they did, and I don't think he would have went there if they didn't spend. Robert Kraft opening up the checkbook is very different than San Jose's ownership group opening up the checkbook because you can actually believe that it'll happen in New England and it has. I don't see that happening to the same extent, even in the ballpark, at the same extent in San Jose. So will he make them better? Yeah. Can he get them into the playoffs? Absolutely? Do they need more talent to be a true contender? Yeah, And I don't think they go get it. And otherwise you're gonna ask your academy to develop it for you, and that's gonna take time. They have a good academy, They've developed talent. I just think they're gonna be better, but not that great. And I think ultimately it's not gonna last for Arena. And the other question because we saw it in New England. You know, he took his core guys were there to go do that job. Well, one of his core guys in some way turned his back on him. And now who are his core guys. Who's gonna go to San Jose with him, Who's gonna to help him do all the things that need to get done. I don't know. I'll be really curious to see how that plays out. Jim Curtin and Philly. I was really surprised about the way that it went down. I remember saying, this is not look I've I've been outspoken about not liking the style of play and not liking some of the comments and not liking some of the ways that the team has played not style of play, some of the more cynical aspects that we've seen from Philadelphia over the years. I don't take any of that back. That's how I feel. I do think that with Jim Curtin, he was never really treated fairly by the ownership group and by the sports leadership at Philadelphia. You know, I remember being very critical of their decision when I think Ernest Tanner took over of just giving him a one year contract at that point basically a show and prove. He had shown and proved, and I thought that was really putting him through an exercise that wasn't fair, And in a way, I think it shows maybe what they thought of him all along, which again is not fair. I think in terms of the amount of talent that he was given, he punched above his weight for a while. And we're never gonna know exactly how it went down behind the scenes about bringing guys back for another year when maybe it was time to move on, trusting the young players or not trusting the young players. We're never gonna truly know exactly how that played out. But in terms of the quality of the roster and in terms of the results, Jim Curton punched above his weight for a long period of time. Some of that is down to the style. Some of that is down to a style that isn't really as reliant on star players. I'm surprised with what he did in very recent history. This year's really the first blip. I'm really surprised that they handled this the way that they did because I don't know if you're going to for what they're going to give their manager, I don't know if you're really going to get any better. So we'll see. It's another group that kind of like San Jose. You can put whoever you want in the dugout and in charge of the team on the field, but if they don't have enough weapons to work with, the ceiling's low, and you know, I don't like to see it become an arms race of who's going to spend the most, But that's how you guarantee success the easiest way. Otherwise you're gonna have to be really creative. You're gonna have to be really savvy in how you manage things with honestly less talent than the opposition you're going to be playing. So we'll see. With Philadelphia, I think he deserved better on the way out. I thought he would get the chance to walk before they would push him out, especially after essentially one year of a dip where that roster's old and probably needs to be overhauled. He's not going to be the one to do it. I don't know who is, all right, Jared, go for it, all right.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question while we get as we get into Atlanta and Miami finally and satisfy people's requests. Something we talked about after the game, Jason, was the change that Miami made at halftime or after halftime where they you know, Sushio Busquets wasn't available, you had a more defensive minded midfielder in the game, you took him out. Yeah, if Busquets is unable to go, how do you piece together that midfield if you're Miami, so you do not get absolutely massacred on the counter, because, yeah, Miami's going to dominate the ball almost certainly, But there are moments in any game where you cannot dominate the ball for one hundred percent of it.
Speaker 1: You don't have an answer. You flat out don't have an answer in that position with what we have really seen, because Sergio Busquets and Yonick Bright not training this morning. According to reports out of South Florida, Janick Bright is the more defensive midfielder of the rest of them, after Sergio bus Getz, Who's such an important element for that team in the way that they play, in the way that they stay organized, even though defensively he's a liability, right, not really a liability. I think he's been very good for this team. And when you have a team that is so top heavy like Miami, you got to hit on guys like Janick Bright, whether it's from the draft or from the league or what have you, and they did well. He's going to be out, according to I can't remember which player talked about it. He's not gonna play. So how do you deal with that? I don't think there's an easy answer, because you know, we haven't seen Julian Gresseol in this playoff series. You can't put him there and ask him to defend in that way. And Tota Martinez has played him as a central midfielder, but he's a liability defensively and we've seen that throughout his career. Who else can you put their David Ruiz is out, so that would be another player that you could have put there. He's not available. You're gonna have to put somebody there and ask them to do a job that they don't do. You know, can Benjamen Kramowski do that job to an extent? He can run, he can do things, but he's not a six. He's not a defensive midfielder. Do you put a Noah Allen in there? You played no Allen as the central of three center backs in the last game, which was crazy to me. It worked, Okay, I don't think Atlanta exploited it enough. But can you move him up and bring another center back into the group. Maybe. But this is where MLS rosters can bite you at various points where you have limited depth, and you're gonna have to make decisions on where that depth is limited when you construct a roster. Miami made a decision to have really three guys who can play the sill to varying degrees, and all of them might be unavailable. So how do you handle it? If you're Miami? I think you have to handle it by going out and trying to score ten goals. Yeah, I don't think you can handle it in another way. So it's gonna be fascinating because that's generally not taught to Martino's moo in these games. When you get to the stage of the season and you get to these kinds of big games, he gets more conservative than usual. I don't think he's gonna have that luxury. And if he does, look, he's gonna have to find something in someone that we haven't really seen. And I don't think it's gonna get talked about. I think he's just gonna get glossed over and you know, we'll be talking about it on the radio. Because if he plays David Martinez in that role, for example, does he have the characteristics to be able to be a six? Yeah, I think he does. He's never really played it. I'm sure there's some point where he played it for River or played it at Defensi Houstisia, but he's not a six. Can he be a six for a game for you because you don't have another six. That's where you're down to the experience and the qualities of tota Martino and can he find that or is his option gonna be unorthodox for him and say well, we're just gonna get hit there and we're gonna concede goals, but we can score more goals than them at home with the offensive talent we have. I don't know what his answer is going to be without Janick Brighton, Sergio Busquez, and we.
Speaker 3: Had Michael Parkhurst on in our number one, and we were discussing pressure in elimination games. And you have the younger players that are there at the Kramowsky age and the pressure that's going to be on them in this match with the older players that have been there before, Messi Suarez, Geordie al But et cetera. Mixing that with the younger players who haven't been in that situation. The pressure, the emotional pressure of not wanting to mess this up. I think that that ratchets things up also emotionally for Inner Miami, no matter how they line things up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if the younger players are gonna necessarily think about it that way. I think it's just pressure. I don't know if they're worried about letting somebody down in these moments and that kind of stuff. I'm really curious. I mean, Federico Rodondo would be the other one, but you're gonna ask him to stay home a lot more and try to figure that out. But Rodondo's got to handle this moment. Diego Gomez has got to handle this moment. Tomas Abules, David Martinez have to handle this moment. And the thing about it when you really dig into how this game can flow. If Atlanta scores early, how does Miami respond? If Atlanta keeps Miami off the board for a period of time and at zero zero for a long way, how does Miami respond? How do the young players respond to the crowd getting antsy? How do the young players respond to that feeling of oh crap in the stands. I don't know. The veterans will handle it. The veterans will be fine with it, but how do those young players handle that. I think it's more of that than you know, this idea of it's not Argentina in the World Cup in twenty twenty two or Copa America in twenty twenty one, where the young players did not want to let Lionel Messi down. That's different. You're talking about a cultural icon and one of the last opportunities that they're going to have to win something. This is not that. I don't think Ben Jim and Kremowsky has that exact same feeling about Lionel Messi, he's going to be one of the closer one. Some of the other South Americans are going to have that to an extent, but it's not the same. This is more of the individual to me of how do you handle being a front running team but not being able to run out front? How does that get dealt with? And I don't know what the answer is going to be. And these are the moments where you learn a lot about individual character. And we'll see. I think we've seen from Atlanta in these moments as of late that they have risen to the idea of being that underdog and that's what they've rallied around, and they have handled those moments very well. Miami hasn't been in these moments very much as a group, and we'll see what happens with them without potentially Sergio Busquet's and Yonick Bright sounds like neither one train today. It's going to be a big ask for them to be able to go. If anybody can handle that, it's Boo gets because of his his history and his intelligence, but Kenny run because intelligence doesn't make those legs move any faster. How does Miami handle not having an ideal six. I don't know, and Atlanta has to try to exploit that if that's.
Speaker 5: The case.
Speaker 2: And shift sides to the field now because I do want to get to the flanks. Something we talked about as well is that Savola needs to might not actually have an empty sign on his tank, and the way he played and the way he moved kind of trying to stalemate Jordi Alba to where they're kind of even even if they're canceling each other out. I wanted to ask on you know, how you see that potentially playing out in a game three.
Speaker 1: Jordi Alba is the player for Miami that scares me the most. I know that's sacrilege on a team with Messi and Suarez, but if Jordi Alba went the side of the field, he's the one who can change everything because then you're getting something it's not unexpected, but it's coming from an unexpected place to tilt the game, and he tay. If that's the case, he's probably eliminating Saba from joining the attack for Atlanta. So that's the battle to me that determines the game if it's a stalemate like it was on Saturday night. In my opinion, then that opens the door, honestly for Messi and Suarez to do what they can do, but it opens the door for other Atlanta players to try to win their battles. And the opposite side is an interesting one because if if you go with the same group for Atlanta and you play Saba as a wing back, and it's Saba dealing with Jordi Alba up and down the field, Okay, the other side, you're not going to ask Pedro Amador to exactly do the same things as Saba. You're gonna ask him to do a decent bit of them. And Marcela Wagan is not Jordi Alba. So can you exploit that side more in the run of play. I think so, and you're gonna have to be smart with it. Look in another issue here that is definitely flying under the radars Jay Fortune. He's banged up, he didn't train fully. Yesterday Rob Valentino talked about it and he took a knock and also a roll of the ankle in the game. Rob said it was pretty surprising that he was able to do as much as he did for as long as he did in that match, and he had a huge play on Messi late at the top of the eighteen. That was vital in Atlanta getting the opportunity to go win it to be able to do the things that you want with Saba and Amador getting forward and exploiting Miami's want to get forward from their fullbacks, You've got to have central midfielders that can run in those moments. You don't have another one like Jay Fortune on the bench, Tristan Milliam, Bob's not the same player. You're gonna then have to reconfigure your midfield a little bit. If it is Mulliam, bah McCarty and Sleish. Sleish can do it, but he's one person. He's already doing it on one side, So how do you handle that if you're Atlanta. It's a more subtle issue in the central midfield than not having a dedicated six or asking Ridondo or asking a center back to play it. But it is going to have an impact, and it's going to potentially affect how much Amador and or Saba can get forward to make that fullback from Miami have to defend more. I think it's gonna you're probably gonna have to make the trade off a little bit more. You're gonna have to deal with Alba more. I mean, look, if you're thinking about which weapon am I more afraid of, Jordi Alba over Marcella Wagan, So you're probably gonna have to have Sleish to that side of the field to help deal with that just in case. And that's what we've seen and I think that is fine. But then Amador's gonna have to adjust to Mullyambah not being able to cover as much ground as Jay Fortune and help as much and maybe stay home a little bit more at times. So it's gonna be really interesting, like those little chess matches in this game are gonna determine it. And I think it's been a fascinating series so far and it's only gonna get more fascinating in Game three. What about other injuries. I know that Steaan was back at practice yesterday. Yeah, I don't know if he's good enough to start. I don't know. You obviously would love to have him back because I thought he has been really good down the stretch once he got healthy and got consistent games. Derek Williams has been outstanding. I thought he had his best game for Atlanta in the Game two, and that's not just because he scored. He was really well organized, really good at leading the line and stepping out when he needed to step out and closing down that space at the top of the eighteen, I thought he was great. You're gonna need that from him, and Luisa Bram has been very good in the moments we've seen him against Miami. You're gonna need that as well. I don't if if Stian can go, I think it's gonna be hard for him to go ninety. Do you want him to close it? Do you want him to start it? I don't know how deep he can go and do it. So that then potentially gives you the ability to change up your shape though, if you want to or change up how you organize it. Because with Saba as a wing back, because you've played Ronald Hernandez as a central as a center back, do you want Hernandez as a wing back to try to defend Jordi album more? Maybe not be able to get forward as much, but does that give you the ability to go to more of a five two two one uh three four three three four two one, whatever you want to call it. Think of al Marim and what he's done with Sporting and what he's probably gonna do with Manchester United. Do you want Saba and maranchuk as those two tens behind and tra which we would assume would start and in front of two central midfielders, or do you want three central midfielders and then have to sacrifice somebody or do you keep Hernandez in? Like again, see lots of questions. And that's the thing when you add gregorson back in, is it just straight up for a bram or does it give you the ability to move other pieces around? If it doesn't from the start, it might at some point in the game. And that's what I kind of come back to you with this one is Game two. The way that it played out, you really didn't have to make a dramatic change in the shape until the very end, and you didn't really have a clear cut option when fortune had to come off. You went aggressive with Silva and it paid off. I don't think you start wide open aggressive here, but do you have to turn to that at some point? And does it give you the ability getting Gregor's and back even with potentially losing fortune or having a limited fortune, does it give you the ability to get more of a three front or a one in front of two, which can expand to three depending on how you want it to look. Yeah, it does, but I don't know if you start that way. So to answer the questions about the lineups and the individuals, I don't know how it starts. I think Rob Valentino has been really crafty and how he's put this team together in these games. I don't think there's a guarantee that it's different than the team started against Miami in Game two, but I do think you see more evolution of how the team finishes between the start and between the final whistle. All right, Jered, go for it. What else is on your mind?
Speaker 2: I just realize we're running Jason up against the clock here, and we're making work over time to your point about not just the kids on the roster, but even the veterans on the roster, And we talk about this in all the playoff games, So why not just finish it off here? The longer this game stays scoreless or tied, you know, how do how does everybody deal with that and deal with the pressure of you know, if you're the home team, I don't you want this to go to penalties, especially with Brad Guzan deciding to I don't know, enter his avatar state in the last uh in the last month or so. But the longer it goes, you know, how do you how do how do players deal with it, not just the young players, but even the veteran players, of that pressure of we got to get something, we got to get something.
Speaker 1: I think on the Atlanta side, they'll handle it fine. They're they're not going into to play for that. They're going in to play to win. It's a ninety minute game. It might not be wild risk taking early, but they're going in to win the game. I do not think they're going in to defend and hold on. They're gonna pick their spots, they're gonna be smart about it, but they're looking for ways to win the game. For Miami. Yeah, I don't know how they handle that. I don't know how they handle backs against the wall, struggling to score goals. I don't know I will I don't know how that fan base will handle it. I don't know how the stadium will handle it. I don't know how it will feel in the building. You guys know what a feeling of that anticipation is in a building. You know it from your roles. I know it from my role. It's different in how it affects you on the field and does it make you try to do too much? Does it make you scared? Does it make you too tentative? Does it in some For some players it makes them rise to the occasion. I don't know. With some of these guys, Messi, Suarez, Alba, They've risen to the occasion so many times in these situations and they very well could. And even if the young players around them struggle and fall apart, Messi's good enough to win this, Like that's just real talk. You have to try to take that away from him. If you try to take Suarez away in albow way, and that's three guys you got to try to take away. But all them are capable of rising to that occasion. The question is going to be is the rest of the group capable? And even if they can't rise to the occasion, can they prevent making the mistake that ends up sending shockwaves to this league? Because look, it's a it's not a question about who the league office wants to win this game. And that doesn't mean something's going to get tilted. That doesn't mean, there's going to be a bad call here and a bad call there. Those happen on their own, but everything is against Atlanta United and they know that thought. Brad Gazan's question about if there had been any punishment for Miami coming out late for the second half was very interesting because I think it gives you the mentality feeds into the FBA attitude, doesn't it. That's something that Lanta United's gonna feed on when those moments happen in the game, and they will again it happens in a normal game in May, it's gonna happen in this game too. There's gonna be a bad call, There's going to be a call that you think is a bad call. There's gonna be something that drives you crazy for Atlanta that's going to fuel them. I think, I really do so. I'm not worried about the effects of those sorts of moments. I am worried on the Miami side of how that back line defends when their offense isn't getting goals, and I don't think they handle it well. But Atlanta then has to topple them over and they have to find a way to be attacking enough and in the right spots to punish Miami. If Miami comes out with the same group and No Allen's at center back, Atlanta has to find a way to get Crosses into Jamal Tira matched up with no Allen and if then things move around. I like No Allen as a player, He's just not a center back. If Miami's able to adjust and get Martinez or Aviles matched up on tra in those moments, then Atlanta has to find the cut back to the top of the eighteen, and it's gotta be Moranchuk coming back across or one of the other central midfielders making a run in. It very well could be a Tristan Milliam Bah who I think finds those space as well. You've got to exploit that. That is where Atlanta can beat Miami. The flip side. You know how Miami can beat Atlanta. It's talent. It's sheer talent with that attacking group. It's finding that space at the top of the eighteen. Atlanta has to be so dedicated to taking that away, making Messi go wider to try to find opportunities, making Suarez drift away from the middle to go try to find opportunities, try to prevent Jordi Alba from killing you and make it be one of the other seven guys on the field. Try to take those three away as best as you can. A lot of teams have tried it, very few have done it over three games. We'll see if Atlanta can do that. But in my opinion, the other way is what we'll decide it. For Atlanta. They score, it's gonna be hard for Miami to handle that. If Atlanta can hold on for a long time. But if Atlanta gets a goal, I think Miami's going to struggle to handle that. Atlanta's gotta find ways to attack, not all the time, not with abandon but in very intelligent ways and punish this weak defensive group for Miami, and we'll see if they can do it. Broadcast plans one more time partner seven o'clock for the five Strips Countdown eight ten. Allegedly, if Miami shows up on time for the kickoff in Fort Lauderdale at Chase Stadium, we will be on Star ninety four on your radio, ninety four point one FM on the Odyssey app. Type in start ninety four not hard to find. You won't be able to listen to us on Apple. You'll have to sync that up. Not too hard, you can handle that. Make sure you're following Soccer down here on all of your platforms, because we're going to have a ton of content. Barring some late changes of things, we are sending the most media to Fort Lauderdale to cover Atlanta United, maybe some of the most media in terms of sheer numbers to cover any Atlanta United postseason match in the club's history. It doesn't happen without you guys consuming the content. It doesn't happen without all of us being borderline insane. It doesn't happen without the support that we have gotten from you guys, from people like Kaiser Permanente, from Scott Flood, you know, finding those partnerships for us. It doesn't happen without the dedication of the people that are doing all this. So there's going to be a lot of content starting in the middle of the afternoon from Fort Lauderdale, all over your Soccer down Here platforms. So hopefully you enjoy it. Hopefully you are with it in spirit if you're not in Fort Lauderdale, and it is an epic kind of night in the history of this club. So I hope that all of you enjoy it wherever you.
Speaker 3: Are, all right, partner, I know the fourth held up the lightboard a long time ago.
Speaker 1: We'll see you down there in Fort Lauderdale. Audios.
Speaker 3: All right, that's Jason. Jason has to like hop on a plane and head south.
Speaker 1: Four card.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is no borderline. Yeah, we are all insane. That is absolutely true. So yeah, we're we're sending the SDH Army down to down to Fort Lauderdale. My flight lands, I think Maddie's on the same flight that I'm on, but my flight I think is either late morning or early afternoon, and get down there about two thirty and from that point, when we can get our plane phones off of airplane mode and get to normal transmitting, that's when things will start.
Speaker 1: So we'll be down there for the whole experience.
Speaker 3: And I'm still got to go and get a cover and a protector for the new phone because I got the wrong one. So I got to go to Best Buy at some point today and get something that protects the new phone because yeah, all that stuff that we went through last night, Jarrett, and trying to get a get a protective device, wrong wrong.
Speaker 1: Size, wrong model.
Speaker 2: Would you get the oh you got the nine. Did you get like a nine instead of a nine pro one nine?
Speaker 1: It's the nine pro XL. Yeah, and so literally on the on the box that is the that has.
Speaker 2: The this is pixel. He's not buying an iPhone nine.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, this is yeah, this is this is Google Pixel nine Excel pro. This is me getting into the twenty first century when it comes to phone manufacturers. I went from Motorola to Google Pixel.
Speaker 2: And so look, if you want a non bloat weird android, Pixel is a good one for that. It's not gonna have blot where it's going to have a clean copy of the Android, and you're gonna get secured updates before most other people do, so you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yes, in theory, So I go to best Buy last night and I'm trying to find it. Literally, I'm carrying my case that has the name of my phone with me. So I'm not getting like the wrong because Pixel nine versus Pixel nine XL and pro and all these different things. Literally to the letter. I wanted to know what I had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they over complicated it this year with their new release and yeah, like a new model.
Speaker 3: And so I go into best Buy with the information that was on the box that had my new phone that I pulled said new phone out of and have been wandering around the house with and still got the wrong carry case because it did not have the charging It did not have the charge.
Speaker 1: Port on the underside.
Speaker 3: Even though it said it was the right box and the right model, it did not have the charger entry point on the casing. So I I have to go back to Best Buy, exchange the case and start all over again.
Speaker 1: So yay me.
Speaker 3: So I got to do that before Tonight's Carver Atlanta Hatepril Charter game on GPBA, and it's going to be a street fight. Yeah, and we'll be at Banneker at seven point thirty seven region titles still to be decided tonight. There's fifty one games in the state, about twenty five percent of the schedule, and this is all of the Hurricane Helene pushback that was postponed and eradicated bye weeks and things like that, and so yeah, so I've got to go there before I go to Bannaker, before I hop on a plane tomorrow and we all head down to Fort Lauderdale to get you ready for match Day three involving Atlanta United and Messian Friends at the Erector set. So we have we mentioned MLS bet Noods, FC, Cincinnati's and minus one eighteen Purple Teams of minus one nineteen, and they've upgraded Messian Friends to minus two fifty six at Landy United by the way to win in ninety minutes a plus five nine zero.
Speaker 1: Sure, why not? You got some? You got some extra juice boxes? You sit there now?
Speaker 2: How much sure Halloween candy? You can throw a hundred grand bar on.
Speaker 3: That, absolutely absolutely true USL Championship. You're down to the final eight out West Colorado Springs of minus one ninety two hosting Orange County lou City of minus one forty seven hosting Michael Parkhurst and his Rhode Island FC at a plus three zho nine, New Mexico on the plus side against Vegas in the one four in the in that in that matchup plus one nineteen, Vegas of plus one ninety two. Charleston and Tampa Bay at Patriots Point on on Sunday. Charleston's minus one thirty two Tampa Bay on the road is a plus two eighty five. So you've got uh, you've got that there. USO League One. They're down to the final four, Union Omaha and Greenville on the left hand side, Union Omaha minus one eighteen. Greenville's a plus two sixty seven. Spoke Can the seventh seed that got the upset in the opening round knockt off Northern Colorado at four rivers Spokane on the road at Ford Madison is a plus four to twenty five. Ford Madison is a minus one seventy nine. Ninety Minute Draw is a plus two to ninety two. The MLS Next Pro Cup And if you missed the interview with Matt Denny the GM at North Texas SC that is on the network, North Texas favored. It's at Toyota. It is not at Chalktaw. If you go to Chalktaw you'll be the only person there. It's at Toyota, North Texas s C A plus one to eight. Hosting Philadelphia Union two, who is at a plus two twelve.
Speaker 2: So that real fun story out of Philly two, well not fun, but really inspiring story out of Philly with the tragedy that fulfilled that club for them to make this run.
Speaker 3: Yes, Orlando, it is a minus three seventy in the NWSL taking on Chicago Red Stars only for the rest of this season. Red Stars tonight or a plus eight twenty seven. Orlando with the incredible run they had this year, They're a minus three seventy Tomorrow at noon on Big CBS, Kansas City Current at home of minus two thirteen hosting Courage, who are a plus four seventy one. Trying to see if there are any other leagues that I might have missed while I was bouncing around looking at juice boxes.
Speaker 1: USL Super League.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow Carolina Santa minus one sixty nine hosting Spokane Zephyr and Dallas Trinity, and minus one twenty eight at Lexington, who is a plus two to seventy two. On Sunday, Fort Lauderdale's a plus one fifty hosting Tampa Bay Sun, who's a plus one sixty two. I think short of the Premier League, that's all the news that's fit to print. What else is on your mind before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much it. Yeah, it starts tonight at eleven o'clock because MLS doesn't believe in reasonably timed games for the East Coast. Yea god, let's have some. Let's have some playoff chaos. Let's knock out some one seeds and let's get weird with this. That requires Atlanta to do their job, and it's going to be tough for them. But you know, they've they've been playing against It's funny they've been playing against They've been playing against the Grain for the last month. And it's a club who for most of their history has gone in as kind of the favorites and the darlings. And now they've they've had the shoe put on the other foot and they've embraced it. I don't know how long that lasts. Like going into next year, that roster, by all accounts, should be turned over with more talent and be a favorite. So with you becoming a favorite next year, this might be your last chance to be able to play this card. But you still got to play not completely reckless, but you know, loose and kind of care free about it. Of you know, we this is on you to lose, Miami, like we're going to try and take it. You got to Atlanta gets to go try and win this game. Miami gets to go try and not lose it. It It kind of has that feel of what could have happened in the World Series if the Yankees knew how to field a fly ball or a ground ball or And I'm still not mad at Anthony Rizzo as much as I am as much as I am Garrett Cole for not covering first base. Everybody mad at everybody who was strictly mad at Anthony Rizzo never had to do pitching fielding practice. And it shows so much because if you had, you'd know the pitcher sprinting to the line like that he needed to get his ass up the line to cover the bag and at least make himself an option. But what you could have had is a situation where you go back to LA and you put all the pressure on that, where it becomes a LA has to just try not to lose. Well, right now, it feels like Miami has to try not to lose this series.
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Can they do that? We'll find out together, all right?
Speaker 3: You know how we've been keeping an eye with Michelle Kaufman and her two hundred and eighty character app what happened training update, per Tozzo, Martino, Bousquets, Bright and Ruiz all out. Busquet's a contusion the first playoff game led to pneumonia like issues his return timetable is unknown. Johnick Bright might be back next week if they advance. So no Busketts, no Bright, no Ruiz for this matchup.
Speaker 2: Okay, well.
Speaker 3: Look everybody, yes, so that is the that's your update before we get out of here. Like I said, well, I'll be down there in Fort Lauderdale. It all out for you. So that's your inner Miami update. Let's see who the six is, Let's see who the back line is as it Landy United makes their way down south. So Jared, you know, it's that time on a Friday, so that means, uh, we got to say goodbye, but we got to say goodbye in a particular manner safe. Everybody will see you from Fort Lauderdale. It's uh, it is that day of the week, so we got to go this way, see you later and maybe if I, oh, I don't know, that's great. You know, you sit there and you tease up everything and you forget to move the volume up. Good job by me. Way to go, Nelson, all these teases and you screw that damn thing up. So let's try that again. Let's see if it recycled itself. I doubt that it did, but once again, we'll see it from Fort Lauderdale. We'll see you here on the cheese.
Speaker 2: Stick it into our fingers.
Speaker 4: Equipment, questions, papers sent electric shocks just through our body, like a cattle prod out in the warehouse. The trucks kept banging into the docks, not even thinking about stopping. Our frail bodies were strapped to the chairs.
Speaker 1: And our chairs were chained to the desks.
Speaker 4: Our please for justice were ignored, and the end seemed near. But we busted our save drivers, little bitty balls we've judged high. Their breakftress the streets.
Speaker 2: Our hearsty guys.
Speaker 4: Yes, Friday, Fridayday, Fay Day, you didn't