Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of October twenty eighth, we're continuing with Lost, Season one, episode seventeen dot dot dot in translation, Lost in Translate, get it, get it, get it, get it, Pope, Pope poke. They do enjoy he do, except as a copy editor, I have to say that they uppercase the eye in the middle of the episode. And that doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Then no, I know that, but okay, so.
Speaker 1: Whatever, yes, so I'm just putting it down, okay, editing.
Speaker 3: Them very good.
Speaker 1: So this had to be either a Sun or Gin episode, and it was in fact a Gin episode, which pretty much went over the same territory as Sun's episode. From his point of view, I think we kind of got his point of view. Yeah, mostly the first time, but this gave us really not much new.
Speaker 3: Well, this time we got not just daddy issues, but daddy in law issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, his actual dad seemed like a cool guy, right, he maybe the first good dad on this show. Yes, except for absolutely prompted Jin to get on that airplane, so that didn't work out so well for him, But absolutely no influence of his child. But well, except for that, I guess the.
Speaker 3: Issue were him the way he felt about his dad and the way he was ashamed, and the way night basically didn't existence.
Speaker 1: But hey, he got in with the rich dad. Don't you feel so much better? Buddy? Wasn't that great?
Speaker 3: How's that working out for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And so we saw the other side of the getting the puppy, and we saw the other side of the coming home with the bloody shirt, which in fact did not involve guns. So I take back my earlier supposition that Jin must know what to do with a gun, and why don't they ask him if they knew anything or could communicate with him at all? So he knows one English word now, Yes, he knows how to beat people up real good. Yeah, and he knows boat and he knows now that he has a translator right there on the island. How convenient. Not that he's going to speak to her for any for a while now. But oops, the son was caught in a very bad dilemma where they were going to kill him unless she spoke up in English. But once she spoke up in English, all sorts of other bleep was going to hit the fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, but I didn't understand when they were having Sin and John were Sinn Son and Jin. Son and Jin were having their their final argument as he's packing up his stuff and leaving in a huff to walk right, I don't know, one hundred yards away to the beach or whatever.
Speaker 1: The people have recently been trying to kill him, but okay.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, they were speaking Korean when they were fighting, and then she said like two lines in English, yes, very important lines about like how I was going to leave you, but I yes, then I decided that you still love me or something, so like what happened.
Speaker 1: And she said, I think she said, can we start over? And he said no in Korean? Yeah, he said it's.
Speaker 3: Too late, So like were we supposed to be thinking that she was speaking Korean at that time? Like, yeah, what I mean confused about on this show? I know it's low on the list, but still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah. I also felt that was very odd and also sad that they couldn't just everybody gets a new wife on the island, ask Shannon, Yeah, who I'm sure has only honorable intentions towards sight and Boone is completely wrong. You know, you can you cannot like him saying it and still think, yeah, he's probably right, oh dear.
Speaker 3: Not saying he's he can take care of himself.
Speaker 1: But she's very pretty, shiny object shiny hair. Yeah, very very pretty hair. Her hair was like glowing from across the Yeah. No, I actually think that was I think that was. I couldn't figure out who was that on the rocks way in the background at one point, but I think it was Charlie and Claire Claire. I think it was Claire's golden locks gleaming in the room, like, yeah, man, we gotta find they should have done a sponsorship thing where the storyline would be that they had one hundred cases of a certain brand of shampoo in the cold of the plane exactly, and that's why their hair looks so fantastic. But I, aside from the fact that it didn't really break any particularly new ground in the flashbacks, I had a very bad problem with this episode, and that is that I was watching it from the couch on my TV set. I must don't want to read subheads from the captions from that distance. They're just especially if one time, like he turned around and the caption was up against like a light blue shirt, I'm come on, right, not enough when it's actually there's some cond now you're gonna do this, So I just you know, I also multitask while I watch, so it's like, oh, wait, I have to look at the screen now, and oh I can't really see what it says, and it's giving me a headache trying to look so uh.
Speaker 3: Down, there was a fair amount of running around and bouncing around that yeah that bothered you, That bothers me. So we both had issues.
Speaker 1: So and and really at the end of it, if we had skipped this episode would have made any difference. Well, I guess, okay, everybody now.
Speaker 3: Knows how everybody in English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also the raft. Yeah, well the raft. The raft didn't exist before this episode, and now it doesn't exist at the end of the episode. So we could just have thought next episode that they were just building.
Speaker 3: It since they're starting over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Locke is continuing to be I mean, I think he's he's for island dadding. He is very perceptive. He uh, he knew that it was Walt. He figured that out, that said the raft on fire. He told a story to distract everybody else, saying that it was the others.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he knew at that time that it was Walt, but I think he did. I'm gonna tell myself he did that. He was just taking the focus off.
Speaker 3: I at that point I thought he had done it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought so too.
Speaker 3: Throwing suspicion a member self.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be reasonable, a reasonable take as well. But I I don't blame Walt. I mean, from a kid his age's point of view, running around the island seems like a lot more fun than the flat iron building. I mean, we're going to go to New York where there are buildings. Man, none of these trees and beach and dog running around and all that. No buildings. It's super keen up.
Speaker 3: In the one bedroom apartment. Can't wait for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know that I would have gone to the link of burning the raft, but I can understand where he's coming from.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and then that gave a Locke the chance to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it here too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, yeah, we figured that out about you.
Speaker 1: League of Escape Thwarts. Those two. Boone probably likes it. They're fairly well too, because it gets to be jungle Boy and uh be rude to his sister. See, if they were home, somebody would be give them a talking to for that. That's right from a parenting point of view.
Speaker 3: As we've as we've surmised, those two didn't have the greatest parent.
Speaker 1: They did not, no, no more the greatest relationship. So you know she deserves a little a little bad talk, yes, but you know rise above Boon learned that from Lock Maybe log is just mister philosophery. He gave Shannon advice. Didn't need to like, you know, do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: What do you Why do you care what Boon thinks? Right?
Speaker 1: Leave them alone?
Speaker 3: Well, and that was another their like island popa moment of like, yes, you know, one kids to complain to you about their sibling, the parent has to be like, why do you care what he thinks?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yes, that was some very parenting advice, very parenting advice. Right, So, I don't know, I don't know locks showing some skills. Jack was mostly just a man at Sawyer forgiveting a seat on the road. Yeah, and really don't they want to ship that guy away? I mean, there's no guarantee this raft is going to get anywhere. Wouldn't he be the first person you put on it?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Maybe you're going to make it and save us all. Maybe you're going to fall into the ocean. Either way, it's a way.
Speaker 3: Either way it works out for me.
Speaker 1: We don't have you underfoot exactly.
Speaker 3: So what they said it was four people, So it was Michael Walt Sawyer And who was the other one?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that there's one left that. I don't know how they were to decide who got the fourth unless Jack was asking him about who is going to go with you? And he said, well, one of the seats was already taken, so who else if you were my I mean, I understand Michael wanting to get Walt off the island. That's a solid parenting thing, regardless of whether he enjoys it there or not. That's not a good place. But you're going to take him on this raft that seems to me has a pretty high possibility of sinking at some point. Why would you not say, I am going to go do this for you son, I am going to take this raft. I am going to go and I'm going to bring somebody back to save us. Take the kid with you, do you?
Speaker 3: Well? It's a I think, Michael, one of those big dilemmas for a parent, right, Like it would be yes, do you do you take him with you so that you you know, you have your eyes? Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: He has left him behind before. I mean, he has had to do without him being under his care for a long time. So I just can see where he wouldn't want to let up, right or do you? But but the trade off is it's frisky, pretty decent chance y'all are gonna drown. But that's okay, you know, just build the raft and send other people off on it.
Speaker 3: Make them promise you come back here.
Speaker 1: Sawyer seems eager. Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: You can count on that guy to come back, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super scary on that island, and there are these unknown others who have you know, killed people and just seem extremely scary, and there are animals and stuff. But that raft don't look like such a good bat, right I think I would be. I'll stay here and keep the fire going, y'all. You go ahead, bring me bring me back something, will you? Yeah? I don't know. That is a quandary, I guess. But they'll build it back stronger, better, possibly.
Speaker 3: Just always more parts of the airplane to be scavenged.
Speaker 1: That airplane is uh, you know really uh you know, versatile piece of crop. It can pretty much expand to whatever you needed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the Harry we found another plane. It's fine.
Speaker 3: In the Harry Potter universe, there's something called the Room of Requirement, and it's just you know, when you go in there, it's it is whatever, it's whatever you require it to be. Ah, So that would be nice kind of what the plane is?
Speaker 1: Where do we get one of them? Yeah, it's like the deck on Star Trek.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, you know, if you feel.
Speaker 1: Like having an episode today set in the roaring twenties.
Speaker 3: Hey, right, gotcha, exactly, that's what the that's a super handy plot device, Yes, absolutely, And that's what this plane is.
Speaker 1: The plane is somewhat of that. They don't even have the whole plane, right, they just have like two thirds of it. Yeah, lots of materials.
Speaker 3: Oh well, well, and they burned it, remember they they Yeah, that's right, a big piece of the plane.
Speaker 1: So that's why all the pieces of the raft look all burnt up. But then why is the raft destroyed if this thing has already gone through the fire once. I guess the metal pieces are probably still okay, but all the rope or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michael even said that they burnt all my twine, Like, oh sorry, Michael.
Speaker 1: I want to like Michael, I really do. He got a raw deal, But boy, he doesn't seem I think I'd rather stay on the island with Locke and like, you go ahead, dad. He just he's like a fight, you know. He just doesn't seem like you'd be a lot of fun to be stuck on an island with.
Speaker 3: He's going through some stuff.
Speaker 1: He's going through some stuff. There's some chips on them shoulders. Yeah, and uh, this whole I mean, the thing with Gin and him fighting has been established since the beginning, but it takes some time off in between. Yes, and then all of a sudden they're just right as hating each other as they were before.
Speaker 3: Right, and we wonder where that all came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as we've known, don't cross Sawyer. He looked like some pretty vicious beating down going on there. Poor Jin so misunderested. But you know, I think he's going to be tied to Sun for the time being, just for trans if nothing else. Yeah, yeah, unless they can they can get them one of those learn English in you know, twenty days books or tapes that just happened to be survived the crash. Yeah, we found this under a whole bunch of hair conditioners here words for you, picked up some beers and it was right underneath.
Speaker 3: But some coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just was just out in the jungle, or was trying to learn how to speak English. Not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No, not as smart as Gin, those bores.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and poor Hurley. First, Hurley tries to be friendly to the island outcast Gin and gets completely blown off. Although if a guy's plan playing golf with rocks, I would probably back away. It's just somebody who is significantly angry. You probably don't want to be anywhere he can hit a rock at you. But still, that's who Early is. He's that guy. He goes off after the misunderstood person and tries to help, but at the end of the episode, this is what he gets for his troubles. The battery on his player finally dies. That was a nice touch though that it appeared to be background music for the ending montage and then it just stopped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm like hitting the volume button on my on my TV.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, you and Hurley are both lost. But I wonder if that means anything? Is there some significance to that well run out?
Speaker 3: Yay for next week being a Hurley flashback, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, finally we have Yes, Yes, it's his turn for sure. Yes, and love that guy. What a great character he is just always therefore a little light light relief. Yes, please let us not find out that he was tortured and has had many traumatic events in his past.
Speaker 3: Or that he was torturing like he.
Speaker 1: Was he was a hit man, and then he just decided no, I'm gonna just stop doing this, and then this is what happens to him. Yeah, maybe he could have used a gun. You never know. Nobody thought asking him.
Speaker 3: Nobody asked him, underestimated really Yeah, well we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, hopefully much more more informative episode than this one. So next Tuesday, we'll continue as promised with season one episode eighteen of Lost Numbers, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building. Numbers are kind of a big deal in this show, so we have we haven't really been introduced to the numbers all that much. It's a whole episode named after them. Numbers. Seriously, anytime they say a number on the show, read now yeah, because I will to say thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years