Speaker 1: So you see, it was my fault. I got missus Crabapple drunk, and then I was going to do the same thing to Zach, but I decided it was better to just tell the truth.
Speaker 2: Mart.
Speaker 3: You deserve a reward for telling the truth, and that reward will be in the form of a severe punishment.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter as long as Edna gets her job back.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Bart, but I can't just get rid of a teacher if he's doing a good job or an adequate job, or just shows up and doesn't touch anyone.
Speaker 4: Four Finger Discount, Dude, Welcome to Forefinger Discount, where this week we are going to be reviewing episode two of season twenty one of The Simpsons.
Speaker 2: It is Bot gets a z I'm Danda and.
Speaker 5: No, I'm going and we're in astrada. Now I know it's bockets a z z I, but it is an American show, so maybe do bockets is w.
Speaker 2: X Y and z A. He said, Yeah, I feel like it's one of those words like no, I also garage. You say garage, but I feel like z or z I just it just depends on what mood on me. That is correct. Yeah, Sometimes that's dead, baby, Sometimes that's dead yeah, but it's technically Z in Australia, that's right.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yes, but as I said, an American show, let's go with Z yeah, because now the name of it was apparently when the teacher says on Wikipedia that Matt Sallie must have said it in the commentary or something, but Matt someone has said that the bar gets a Z was a reference to the fact that the original.
Speaker 2: Crash out of the teacher Zach what's his name, Zach, Zachary Vaughan, Yeah, Brady Yvaughn, Yeah, a very cool guy name, Yeah Vaughn, Zachary Vaughan, a cross between Zachary Lee, Levy, Levo Ley Levi, Yeah, Zachary LeVar and Vince vaughn N s Swawn. Yes. But he apparently gave everyone z's when he was crushing outs. How they went or what's wrong with this guy? Blah blah blah, and they changed the way crashed out. He was drinking vodka and they kept the title though. I'm like cool.
Speaker 5: I love how you are now using the kids slang. You've been it's clearly school holidays here, you've been hanging with children and now using the term crash out, not the way that we should use it, which is terms of like I'm really tired, I'm going to crash out. You're doing it in the way of like free Yeah, in the way of like.
Speaker 2: Freak out, Yeah, freaking out or crash out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been listening to all Morning Capop and the Demon Hunters. I feel dumber. Well you are.
Speaker 5: It's just CA Pop Demon Hunters. You've been I call it you K pop and the Demon Hunters like pussy Cats, not quite not quite the k but the CA Pop colon Demon Hunters is that's what it is. I think it might not even have the colon. I think we're just we're just throwing grammar completely out the window. In the year twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five, the kid's caught Keep up, Listen to keep Up. It's such good marketing, it's really good. Mark just wants you to because they want you to listen to K pop and the kids at this coin. Let's listen to K pop. Oh yeah, not the just cap pop and chat A little BT song yeah yeah, I think I don't think I've said anough. When BTS were on SNL, so many acronyms a couple of years go shout out to our pal doing the SNL podcast made Man's ac Yeah Saturday and our dive. Yeah, check it out if you're a fan of SNL. Indeed, indeed, I think Emma Stone was hosting and BTS were on, and I hadn't really heard that much about it. I was like, oh, there's something. The kids are into it not and give a fuck, but I do like an star so there. I checked this out BETS and I was like.
Speaker 5: My super fan, these guys are really good.
Speaker 2: I'm really into this song.
Speaker 5: And plus it was like the Beatles were on. It's Sullivan, very old riffent for aw you kid Jay. But yeah, you never hear the crowd at SNL go wow soone, so you could hear them. Yeah yeah, I mean and that song Golden that you were listening to this morning from.
Speaker 2: There's one called Soda Pop which was actually quite catchy. Okay is that from? It's from It's from Capop Colon, Capeop, Demon Hunters, Camp play Cup and the Demon Hunters. Is it like I'm sure? I said this? Is it like Sugar Rush from Record Ralph because that's I honestly felt the same way when I was listening to it. In turn, your racing car. Sure, but that's enough about that. No free clout for K pop. Demon Hunter doesn't need it. No semi related by the way, apologies, I've lost my voice a bit from being at the football last fighter where my Mighty Cats, our Mighty Cats defeated there the Hawks.
Speaker 5: Indeed, you might know that we're a little smiley today, feeling pretty good about our So was the Geelong Cats are in the grand final for our US listeners.
Speaker 2: Can your super Bowl series? It's a bigger deal, Let's be honest.
Speaker 5: What Yeah, so we're both pretty happy about it. Yeah, it's just about to say. It's Monday as we're recording this. Box office results for the US are out and apparently something called Demon Slayer just like number one with a bullet another eyes. It's a Korean anime, but it certainly have they made enough?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well they made a film for it, have they?
Speaker 5: I could look it up, but I can't be bothered. Okay, let's talk about the Simpsons.
Speaker 2: Yes, but yes, so we hit to where Bart gets a z Z. Whatever you want to say, let's go z. Let's go z buckets Z. That's the way they want to reference it on the on the episode I like missus K a lot, so I enjoy missus K episodes, but I wouldn't say this is all that memorable. You just it's one of those episodes where you just knew where it was going from go to woe. You knew she'd she'd have, she'd struggle, but would try to help her get a job back, and then she'd eventually get a job back.
Speaker 5: It starts off with a downer, gets even more fucking depressing, and then becomes kind of predictable. Yeah, I mean I didn't. I didn't think it was a bad episode by any stretch. Written by a man that's salmon correct. Yeah, there was a lot of good stuff in it. Yeah, it was very of its time, but it was also very kind of like relevant the present day as well. Then, Yeah, which is kind of sad when you go, oh, the kids are on screen, so like, you know, they're incommunicative all this kind of stuff. Oh, you know, the old ways are going out the window, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And it's so true though because as a parent, right of a kid who's now seven, he's got friends whose parents are allow letting him, let him have phones or iPads and that kind of stuff. Right. Oh, and we're not anti iPad. The kids got iPads, but we just limit it, right, you know, it should be a treaty. It's not just you sitting on your iPad. Ali goes outside kicks of football. Ally she's doing playing with a dolls, she's playing with cars or you know, not the cars at the front, but you know she's just playing with something, right, She's she's using her body and being creative. Ali's got friends, you know, they will come over and they're walking and looking down at the iPad and Al it's like, do you want to go keep the footy? And they'll go outside to play football, but they're still holding like their iPads. They can't get away from these screens. And it's just you got to find that balance of you can because you don't want to be that parent of goes you can't have a phone and atlists not having your phone till their teenager, it's just not going to happen. They don't need as I said, your kids, you don't need phones. Oh yeah, very very good line in this. Yeh yeah, I thought it was very relatable. But the case of because now we've got things like phones and watches and whatnot. They can be phones. You don't need an actual phone with a plan kids into someone watching him like hey, because some of Alliot's friend at schools that hit the footy with them up the school. The little phones got off like the power and I'll be out there now and I'm like that's pretty cool. What a time to be like yeah, yeah, so you know, kids don't need phones. In my opinion, kids don't need phones, but the idea of screens just consuming kids and changing them as well. Because I was with one of Elliot's friends today and he had his little iPad thing and when his iPad was there, it was like he wasn't in this world. No, no, it is. I had to literally shake him to get his attention, like dude, dude, this is now on the record of the Dano Shakes kids. Yeah, but no it is.
Speaker 5: It is rewiring brains on a on a yeah, fundamental level, But enough about that. I mean, well, look is relevant to this episode absolutely.
Speaker 2: But when the new teacher came in, I was like, of course it's the cool teacher. The kids are going to be no confused, what do you want to do it? Missus kback because we feel bad, but we don't want to get itt of this cool new teacher. But the cool new teacher never lasts. No cool teacher. While cool teachers are not to be trusted. No, No, they're never going to be the ones that gets you to where you need to be. You will fail the test of life of these teachers.
Speaker 5: You need that good balance again. I mean, I've had quote unquote cool teachers, but that cool teacher was also not necessarily disciplinarium. But you also know they didn't stand for any nonsense, you know. You know, Look, I'm here to teach you. I'm here to teach you in ways that may not be you know, additional sort of stuffy method that you may have experienced before, but at the same time you're doing the work. I'm here to teach you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, as opposed to just like he guys, let's do it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, very bad Zachary Born in personation there. But you know, no, not to be trusted.
Speaker 2: I have said to I've said many times in this podcast that the teachers I've looked back on when I was back on my school, the ones I respect the most now, the ones that I kind of thought at the time, Oh you're really grumpy or you this, that and the other. But I look back and go, you know what, they were the best teachers. They you respected them by the time I was in year twelve. When I was in year seven or eight, I thought, ah, they're grumpy there, met I didn't get them. And then when you get to like year ten, eleven, and twelve, you think it's got time. I need to actually learn some shit to understand how to live my life once I leave this place. It's like, oh, these are the ones that are going to guide me through this. Yes, these are the ones to follow.
Speaker 5: Having said that, I've had disciplinarians who took the disciplinary aspect a bit too far. I'm not talking about being like a corporal punishment kind of guys, but just like, yeah, you're bitter now, and you're and that bitterness is manifesting herself, is like.
Speaker 2: Do it this way?
Speaker 5: Yeah, shut up, it wouldn't it be? Sometimes that's sometimes that's relevant, Sometimes that's valid.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like the discipline. It's more than just the teaching methods. It's not that you're get in the classes like we're just we're not hit the fuck about. We're here to get our work done. And when you in year eleven to go, you know what, this room's quiet. I'm getting work done. Yes, indeed, this is this is actually sticky, this is this is necessary. Yeah, I always say, shared to mister mister Cabrey. At Geelong High, we all thought it was his weirdo. And year seven and eight we got to like year ten eleven and we already know what this guy has our man, mister Cabrey. Yeah, no, we've all got teachers like that, shared out to Roderick McKillop. Yeah, solid, dude, he my favorite. Did you have any favorite moments from this episode? I had one what to do?
Speaker 5: I had three exactly if away three well actually, and one of them is like a subset of the other one, so I really got too. I did like when Edni Kay was drunk and sort of parading through various things and she breaks into the I guess the exchange student farewell.
Speaker 2: I like that the song the Fairwell. Yeah, I've got miss Kay with the dad joke. Yeah. And coming on to uh.
Speaker 5: Mister Lago, who we learned his first name is Dewey.
Speaker 2: Dewey. Yeah, I did not know this beforehand, whether this was common knowledge beforehand, I don't think he's never I love that a great This is a great come on. That tells you a little something that we already probably knew about Dewey. I'll get you, I'll get you off Broadway. But just miss like, how can you not love missus? K that's pretty good. Yeah, just even like in the morning, it's just you feel so sorry for it. I'm just like, well that what a woman that was?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, good honor for be you know, embracing the positivity even you know when it's really.
Speaker 2: Tough to do.
Speaker 5: So anyone who's sort of felt like, oh my god, what's the point has had that thing where they tried to snap themselves out it. They will look in the bathroom mial, they will say the affirmations, it's gonna be a good days, gonna be a good day.
Speaker 2: Positive mental attitude.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, And I mean you can rewire you're thinking if you do that enough and you're convincing enough.
Speaker 2: I mean I had to do it during the Geelong Hawthorne game last week. So he shout out to Elliott. Right, So Elliott, die Hardcats fan loves his footy as all you thistens to be well aware. R at the game and the team Hawthorne there sort of arch rivals of Geelong, long storied history. There last final. It's been nearly twenty years as I've been to a final because I went to a losing Grand File against Hawthorne and I just could not bring it to do it again, couldn't do it to myself. And Elliott really wanted to go, and I thought, I said, I really don't, I can't do it. Nicola goes, look, the only way to experience like the glory of success is to be willing to experience failure. And I was like, it's very Where'd you pull that one from? Nikola?
Speaker 5: But like, oh no, it's true, right, oh exactly, Yeah, sorrow was the price of joy.
Speaker 2: And she's like, you know, if you are there when the Geelong and Cats beat the Hawks with Elliott to be a memory, you don't forget. And I'm like, we'll do it right. And we get there and Cats were hot favorites and Hawthorn get the first couple of goals, our best player goes down with an eighteen injury and the next best player goes down. There two best defenders are gone on in the first ten minutes of the game. They have kicked three goals. I turned to Allie is openly weeping. He's just balling his eyes out. This isn't fair. What's why it's going? Why is Tom Stewart hurt? And I at that point had to make a choice. I had to go normally because I was dying inside as well, because see it in his face, And I went, I have to be the brave one here. I have to put on the brave face and go. Wait, it's all good.
Speaker 6: First call it off.
Speaker 2: There's four of them. It's fine, it's only three goals. I said, Do I look worried? So no. If I don't look worried, you shouldn't look worried, like as I said to you offair. Meanwhile, I was literally dying in size. I thought, they've done it again. Why don'd I come? They've done it again? But I kept my cool in that moment, right, And I was saying to Nicola yesterday, I said, me keeping my cool for Elliot's sake really helped me cope with the situation as well. Sure, and throughout the game there were moments where like just Loong hit the front end, Hawthorne would come back and I'm going, it's all right, buddy, it's all good. It's all good. Normally I would be in meltdown mode, but sometimes it's best to just have that positive mental attitude and just learned to relax a bit.
Speaker 5: It sounds like someone found the answer.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that. We'll get to that when there's a bit to get to about that. Yeah, exactly, because you were talking about how the episode was relevant at the time. So but yeah, it was just shout out to Elliott, who was just going through a really shit time in that moment, borne his eyes out and it was just such absolutely when they came back and the Cats one at the end, it was just like, honestly one of the greatest moments of my life just being there with Elliott. Sure. Yeah, because well I watched it with the Lovely Louise.
Speaker 5: I got over there. You picked up some Japanese. When I got there, like the tail end of the first quart it's like, holy shit, we're going down. This is not looking good. I didn't say we're going down. I was like, oh, this isn't looking good. For the Cats enjoyed our bento box. Cats started to lift. You know, we're leading at half time. Was important by one point, it's like this is good. This is not just good from a point standpoint, but also yeah, a psychological standpoint, even if only one point up, that's great. Second half. Bang, it was a remarkable I'm sorry, we don't want to turn this into you know, wide wild sports, but.
Speaker 2: It took five minutes. Oh absolutely, yeah, but and also yeah, the Cats will generally start well and they may not have a lot left in the tank by the by the end. It's usually the way around, and now.
Speaker 5: It's the other way because you looked at the Cats by the end of the by the end of this match, they could have gone a whole other quarter.
Speaker 2: They wear you out and they just go boom Tyson. Oh absolutely their homer with boxing punch and bunch, punch, punch and just push him over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a bit with yeah, the controversial Bailey Smith. Fantastic player, sure about him off the field, but he got the ball and broke away from the packets. Some says like, holy shit, it's like this guy just gone and just stand it on the field. Incredible, fantastic stuff. But you know, you've got other shows that you may watch on television or listen to for that kind of stuff. We'll talk about the since instead other stuff that I liked. This episode was fine. This episode was good. I enjoyed it for the twenty something minute duration. What would have made it great if the whole twenty something minutes was basically that Rodney data Academy.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was Hank doing the Rodney Dangerfield I think so, yeah, when did he die? Two and nine? I'm not sure when Rodney.
Speaker 5: Actually that was basically good good gags. Oh yeah, it was just back to school. It was just the Rodney Dangersfield movie Back to School, which is a fucking stone cold classic that you should check.
Speaker 2: Out well and dow gag will be the she It was just a great share at four he passed away.
Speaker 5: Not just a Rodney, but you know that whole tradition of like slobs or wise guys just sort of not poking fun at various but they always tend to have like a straight woman who's a bit stuffy and kind of like, oh no, you know, the Marx Brothers did it. Rodney did it, And this was fantastic. I just enjoyed it so much. Plus he got a little George Plimpton shattered as well, because he was the I guess crusty Dean. If you've seen Goodwill Hunting, Sorry I keep looking at the camera, but yeah, you may remember him. He's the He's the shrink that Goodwill he's trying. You need to clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need clear backt with Hunting. No more Bally who than you know? Wills? Like, do you heart?
Speaker 5: Do you find it hard to hide the fact that you're gay?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just laughed very much at that whole thing. I thought the whole high brow academy thing was just hilarious for me.
Speaker 2: Rodney's best bit on The Simpsons put it back in She's not done yet, debuted this past season just love. Oh my god. I think it was this spring. It was something that put it back in. Rodney. What a lure. That man just had cracker Jack watching him on talk shows. He would just sit there for tennis and just throw jokes and like wouldn't work, but he just keep sucking going, Oh yeah, just yeah, what you call dad joke? Yeah? My wife, I tell you. I said, you want to go on vacation. I'd like to go somewhere I've never been before. So I said, how about the kitchen. It's like, that's real pine eid stuff, but it's also just my nose. He's joking though, Oh yeah, yeah, fantastic. Those were my favorite moms. What did you enjoy? Oh you put literally now two of mine high by Academy and missus k Yeah, so what else did I have? My favorite moms? Just get him back up? There was there anything else? I didn't mind when Zach was crashing out and Skinner was like faculty talking in the hallway, because that's one thing when you're kid of school, what did the teachers actually do? And you see him go in, you try and peek in. But I remember only once in high school the teacher said I need to get can you get something for me out of the at the teacher's lounge we call here the teachers can teachers land or whatever, and we're in there, and I felt like I am not supposed to be getting in and going. It's kind of boring here, but I felt like so weird. I was like, I'm in the teacher's lounge. Yeah, did you ever get into the teacher's lands of school?
Speaker 5: I sore inside it once inside the stuff him as we call.
Speaker 2: Stuff, and that's what we call it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, just a brief glimpse through the door, and you know, see having their coffee, comfortable chairs and a coffee table.
Speaker 2: I believe they call that tasty in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it looked like someone will smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this was the seventh where he said he cooks on the TV. Yeah, good times. Yes. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount.
Speaker 3: Next question, you there eating the beast?
Speaker 2: All right, trivia time. My first question for you is what was the flavor of the Goddess bar? Is that your first question? You smile? My first question lunar lemon of the Goddess Bar? Correct?
Speaker 5: My first question to you then, Ye, the word jammers is recommended from age.
Speaker 2: What to what? Oh? Talking about the computer game word jammers. I know it's like three to five or something, so it was actually six to twelve twelve. It's really basic worth though, I know, but I get the filling. That was a pretty basic game, yeah, on a pretty basic computer. Okay, My next question for you is twenty minutes of what was that was the homework that Zach gives them? Tweeting, twittering as it's called two and nine. Apparently all are twittering, Oh okay, minutes of twitter Yeah, now known as h Yeah, anyone call it that. I think anyone calls it X No. I think people are promoting their Twitter go my Twitter handle is this? It's still Twitter? Oh very much. Though, not to get too political, you can cut this out if you like. Apparently Elon and Donald have made up. Oh fair enough. Yes, they were apparently hugging it out at the memorial service, one Charles Kirk. Maybe Elon wants front row tickets to the UFC on the White House. That's classy, that's classy events.
Speaker 5: Oh my good, UFC. Oh my god, we're not going to talk anymore. We might get canceled. Like Kemel, I was going to ask this. I figured it was gonna be one of those sorrow questions, but it got used a fair bit, so you'll you will know the answer to this. But what is Zach's energy energy drink of choice Blue Broncho. It's blue Broncho, Yes, yes, And my final question for you is what is the name of the newspaper the skinner reads? I think skin, Yeah, skinner reads and finds out missus k is drunk and she said size of principal's penis damn it. I remember just about everything else. It was it the fourth grader? Well, fourth Gradiano Grady is nice. Any more questions for me?
Speaker 2: I got one more? Hit me? What is Edna Kay's mailing address? Oh? I have no idea because she got a lot of letters until they are put a little smiley sticks on them. Ah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she's on eighty two Evergreen Terrorists. I thought she lived in an apartment so is it like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't have like a number.
Speaker 5: Dash's weird, Yeah she was. I swear it looked like an apartment complex, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It did? Well, I know she lives in apartment complex, but yeah, I'm trying to remember whether we saw it from the outside and this wanted to be have any exterior shots of the year. I think we did be Okay, anyway, this is Kay good lover, what a what a lady. It is time for some stone Cutter Shadow started with the incredible Katie g with her one hundred sport Thank you so much, Katie, Oh yeah, ooh yeah, and Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macher, Elliott, j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean d V, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dazel, Planned Flood of Bello, winder Bane, Jack McFadden, Heath Apple, be Adriam McLeod March, Levan Ginger and Pickle Preston Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan By, James Shepherd, Joe Ridden Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavilange, Dammy Miller, Charlie Joe and Abigail b shop Cut. I think if it being stone cut of top tier supporters of ours at four Figer Discount, what a dream team team indeed, and stone Trotters. The stone trot Alley oops all over the place, but we're always happy to welcome more into the fold, so you feel like being a patrons been one. Do it? Do it? Do it? Speaking of that guy, Ben's still right. The kids watched the movie the other day called Heavyweights, and it's about fat camp and whatnot. It is Nicholas watching it going watching his name is appropriate. It's very it's very of his time. I was like, there's no ninety four and Ben still is in it, and I was gonna message you. At the time, I thought I won't bother them on the weekend, but I thought Ben's still a right. Has he just gotten away with having a career pretty much playing the same character in like ninety five percent of his films. He's just the same thing. There is a bit of that. Yeah, it's just the same thing. Granted there are some roles where he's different. I think like a long came poll, he's more like more a romantic film whatnot. When it comes to comedy, he's got one bit, he's got a couple of He's got two modes. He's either the arrogant I'm an arrogant work, Yeah, we do about it.
Speaker 5: It's he's either happy Gilmore mode yeah, or he's along came polymode yeah, where he's or meet the parents mode. Shall we say where he's put upon? Yeah, and yeah, that's pretty much it. I mean, look talented guy, absolutely. I mean he's done some superb work behind the camera, and I kind of like him on screen as well. But yeah, I wouldn't say he's got the biggest range.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's get into a review of Bart gets a z Z. We go on with Z Bart gets a Z. The original edit of this episode was a top fourth two thousand and nine of the top three films at the box office. Number three was a re release of Toy Story. Wow, it would have been the fourteenth anniversary how we why? Maybe two? Toy Story three was coming out of something possibly anyway. Number two was Cloudy with a Chance of meat Balls, and number one was zombie Land. Oh, not a bad movie. I've never watched it. It's pretty good.
Speaker 5: You can avoid this too, right, Yeah, so he can avoid zombie Land? Double Tapody, Haraldson one, Jesse Eisenberg, Yes, Emstone, the afore mentioned Emmstone, and Little in the Sunshine herself. For Abigail Bresley, isn't Bill Murray in that movie? I don't know, it's a spoiler.
Speaker 2: No, he's in it. Okay, yes, yeah, and number four was Surrogates. If you don't do the re release Surrogates any good? Well, we talked, we talkedout last week was this movie that I'm not gonna spoil. Okay, all right? And the episode, as we said, was written by Matt Salmon, directed by Mark Kirklan. Plushure code l A B F one five chort board gag. Chop boarding is not torture. And the catch gig was the Simpsons of or Juste cowboys shooting at each other and Maggie has one of those, one of these a machine gun. It's yattling gun. I believe it's just it looks like a machine gun. Yes, and that is America in America. Boy, by the way, Billboard gag new segment Billboard, Yeah, what was it? It can be your bit. You can do the billboard gag. Can I'll be chop billboard? It was my understanding there would be no extra work. No, I'm having too bad, Okay. The billboard is a poo the Quicker Mart saying porno is now on the lower shelf. Oh for you kid, he's out there. No porno sounds so much then poor it does porno. I watch porno. Well, sounds very ousy. I said to Nicola, I want to make a porn film. She'd be like, I watch to both make a porno. She like it sounds makes sounds so dirty. So yes, it sounds very ossy porno. So lend me alone on me smoke. Ca shouted to the chats, they're be coming on the show. They will come on the show. We'll make it happen. Listening to smoke a lot over there, and such a good song, such a good song. So the episode kicks off of missus k. It's pretty much just a spotlight on what her life is like. Who sings that song? Is that so that? This was Another Day? Is the song? It's just another Day? It was Paul McCartney's first solo single, released in nineteen seventy one, Just Paul, not Paul and Wings Paul, Paul's first solo single not released on an album. It was just a single, okay, yeah, apparently co written by his wife, Linda Nice McCartney. What a guy. Yes, indeed, yeah, So it's just him and Ringo left now, isn't it. I'm glad I've got to see him live. It's one of those thing where it's like you're off the bucket list lot, we're going to see Oasis, Like I really like Oasis, but it's like it's like a couple of days on the weekend. A couple of days ago on the weekend, I said Nickolin, do I just want to sell our tickets? Can we begoved? And she's like no, no, it's like Oasis is one of those bands. Was like, yes, tick it off. Oh yeah, that's the thing. I mean, I'm I'm probably never going to see the Stones and there's all there's I've never seen him either, Yeah, we can't see the original band Elton. I was like, I saw Alton. Yeah, it's just again bucket list. Yeah, there are certain buckets. Never got to see Jackson, Michael Jackson, m where you go see MJ the musical? I could, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was recording episode of the movie Guy with Molton Davis this morning. It's a remembrance of the late great Robert Redford. But we were sort of talking about how, yeah, we're entering this twilight phase where were going to be you know, next couple of years, we're going to be losing Michael Caine, We're going to be losing Jack Nicholson, We're going to be losing Martin Scorsese. You know, Spielberg's probably close to being in his eighties. Ye, Robert de Val, he's going to go. It's John Williams, Yeah, oh my goodness, yeah, John yea Johnson his nineties.
Speaker 2: But I think when John Williams goes, Hollywood won't feel the same anymore. It already doesn't, but it's even dimmer. It can't get back to what it was.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, you know, Clein Eastward's ninety five and you're saying might direct now the movie.
Speaker 2: It's like you shan't do it? Do it? Yeah? Yeah, yeah. Missus case, her life is just basically it's groundhole days. She's waking up surrounded by test papers that she's obviously been doing after hours later at night, laying in bed, she's fallen asleep. She's just marking bee and everything just to sort of get through the day, including Nelson and Martin both get a bee. She's replacing her wine from the night pride with her mouth washes to get through it all, just clean her mouth out. She threw a sit ups a broken style. I think someone said the woman says, your new husband or whatever, you're a man going to love these new abs, and she's just nuts. She rolls over face down in cold water. Yep. And then she dips a the bar. What is it, goddess bar? It's a lunar lemon goddess bar. But dips in the peanut. But but it doesn't finish it. And I saw that moment I went, that's so relatable as just like dad life of in the morning. I've been spending all morning geting the kids with he', getting them dress, getting their teeth brushed. I haven't looked after myself. I'm aout to live like shit, I'm not dressed, haven't my teeth. I just grove like a musically bar on the way and I don't even ever finish, take a bite, leave on the kitchen bench. It's like, this is what life is like when you're trying to raise little kids. Sure, yeah, he's gonna just get through the day basically. But she now arrives. First of all, she gets to school, she is singing the song Let's transition to her in the car. Yes, that song is now playing on the radio. And then young guys mock her for singing a million year old song. Fuck those guys, I know, right, Fuck those guys. Me though, We're driving home from the Cat's open training session this morning and we listened Teenage dirt Bake came on. Because I listened to teenage dirt Bag. No shout to Brendan Brown singing. Void just came in the show last year. The kids really like teenage Jr. Bak the song, and Ali's friend's like, my young I was like, teage bag, it's a great song. And now I thought about it, I went, you know what, this is the equivalent of me putting on my mum putting on a song from the sixties when I was a kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm listening to you brother Loves Traveling Salvation Show by Neil Darmond's like, what a bang it?
Speaker 2: I was raised on Abra and Meatloaf. Oh yeah, it was just like ab the Gold and bad Ada. Hell that was just what That's all Mum and dad? Good music? Oh absolutely, anyone who bad MOUs Abba doesn't get music, mate? Oh no, the idiots people used to say Abba is just so overrated. I'm like, sure, buddy, sure you're over So now at school, she takes a big deep breath before she goes into the classroom. She's like, what to say. If I can teach one kid one thing today, that's been a success, that's all got to do. Teach one kid something and she enters the root. Okay, I got so much time for teachers, especially now, especially now that I've got kids and I know the soone at school trying to teach them and seeing that they actually are learning stuff right, Like, these these teachers aren't just doing nothing. I will say that I feel like now more than when I was growing up, they're watching a lot more screens like TV and watching YouTube videos and stuff. And I'm thinking, I understand that you've got to progress, and it probably is easy for the teachers. You got to take some strength to teachers. But they're going to school and just watching a screen. Yeah, well, ways of learning are evolving at at the same time, think a teacher would be hard, Oh yeah, undervalued? Lou asked if I wanted retrains the teacher. I'm like, you couldn't pay me enough, and you probably wouldn't pay me enough because the kids never appreciate you in the moment. Some kids do, obviously, but yeah, it's just it's when they look back and go, oh ship, yeah they helped me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, my sister at Weena, there's been a lifelong teacher what got us in Hillary mostly primary And still she's at the tail and the degree now and she I can see how just which is elementar? Yeah yeah, but it's like, oh man, clearly just wearing her out. And I don't mean that a bay way for a waeno. I just mean that the system and the way kids are these days and all this kind of stuff is like they.
Speaker 2: Really ramping up the degree of difficulty in a lot of ways. What you can and can do, well you can't do Yeah yeah, I mean, well I can't slam around anymore teaching what's what exactly? But so she walks in and all the kids just have foes in their hands.
Speaker 7: Now, class class past, least have that giant text agle text agle, your hair.
Speaker 6: Your children? Why do you all need cell phones?
Speaker 4: Safety? Emergency, safety, educational?
Speaker 2: Could you at least set them to vibrate?
Speaker 6: That's it? Everything in the box.
Speaker 2: She takes all the phones off and puts them in a box. What was on the box Laryeah, Larry box carton. So then she chucked them in the drawer with all the biology frogs. Then Nelson asks her to teach something with the knowledge that in her head, and she quickly realizes, oh, yeah, shit, even I can't do that. So what does she do? She pulls out the game, pulls out word jammers. Yeah, word jammers, which is spelling game, very rudimentary. You have the old floppy discs, the really big ones, but five and a half inch floppies that what they called. But we alwish we had one, and I took that person. But then a bit of a poor taste gaging when Nelson says, my stoked, our grandfather has more memory than that thing. I thought, yeah, I mean it's not terrible, but it's just well, you know, they cover their butt bye, you know, having that whole house. How's he doing? No, he's doing great. I do feel like they do that kind of joke a lot at the moment. I think it was last time saying somebody's taxes in the first episode and they go like, ohy, how is that situation? And got no good. It's like they make a mean spirit of joke and it's like, by the way, how is that person? Yeah? Just I know whatever, We're.
Speaker 5: Two episodes in and they're already recycling game.
Speaker 2: Well the recycling the way the episodes end as well, we didn't get to the secret. We should probably touch the se talk about there get the secret. Yeah, so it's now the kids were having a meeting in Bat's backyard because how dare the teacher take away our phones during class? I thought, did any still ever allow phones during class? Not really, No, I think we were allowed to have our phones but had to be turned off. I do remember like playing Snake on one Nokia thirty three fifteen. This is way before my time, or way way you were playing your game and watch I was bringing the old landline. Yes, the typewriter. They did find a way to help missus k chill out, and I thought that's what I liked about this episode, the angle of but didn't get her fired from being a shithead. It was more immaturity and not thinking of the consequences of his actions. He just wanted to make her chill out so they could use their phones, not get her fired. Yeah, this reminded me of something time from a guy to put on his movie nerd Hat. Okay, there was a movie that came out in twenty twenty a Danish film ilo called Another Round that was the English title, basically about these four friends who were sort of in the in middle age. They all work as teachers at this school.
Speaker 5: They're all area primary secondary. Yep, they're all feeling a bit kind of God, what's the point. Yeah, they've got typict midlife malaise, but also, you know, work in the education. Said, no, one's listening to what's a white Pilot episode? Kind of kind of that thing. One of them is like, I would be scientists, and he said, I've read this study that says if human beings have like a slightly elevated blood alcohol content, they operate more efficiently.
Speaker 2: Really waste movement on playing sneaker. Oh yeah, we're going to do this in an experiment.
Speaker 5: We're going to take a very small amount of alcohol in the mornings and we'll see how that affects our lives and how you know, not enough to make us drunk, but enough to just sort.
Speaker 2: Of lift lift us up a little bit. Yeah, and yeah, put a bit of sous on it, and for a while, for a while, it works, but then, of course other things get in the way. But it's a it's a really really good movie. I mean SMIng is someone who's quite unquite middle aged. Really hits home in a lot of ways. Dur performance by Mads Michelson and the lead you're aware of Mads. He is in Rogue One, He's the guy who but built the floor into the Dead Star. He's Doctor Stranger's enemy in the First Time Strange. But he's probably best known as Hannibal in the TV series Hands. Yeah, great show. You love Hannible Love Hannibal. Rewatched it recently all three seasons. Good show, but yeah, definitely worth checking out if you'll. Yeah, it's called Another Round, and I think they're trying to do a American remake with Chris Rock more people. But yeah, that's what this reminded me of.
Speaker 5: Feel she might feel better if she just gets a little bit of pep in a step, by which I mean a little booze and the sistan they.
Speaker 2: Go too far, They go too far. They do go too far. Indeed, so before they do it that I think it's they're gonna put the booze coffee out there. That's what they sees.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, they're using Homer as an example. And I must admit this first it was kind of like, oh God, we're going is this going to be a homer all through the episode?
Speaker 2: Because I hated that was pretty shit throout this entire episode. Really, Yeah, but this was the lowest of it as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, probably there are other bits and pieces and throughout you I'll be the dog and you be there. Yeah. But then all of a sudden, all those clothes are gone. I'm like, what the dog's wearing his clothes? Yeah, But they say, well, my dad's always happy when his drunks will try and make her happier by putting booz in hers, and he sends them off to go get their own various boozes alcohol from the house and Millhouse has like the alcohol cabinet because she's a alcoholic. I think Hibbitt's son uses it the ringe to get wine out of the bottle or something back in his arm to make him happy again.
Speaker 5: Nelson that mum is working at the Is mom working the strip clothes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's dancing and he's collecting the money yeah.
Speaker 5: Again and tipping half drinks into his bucket. And there is also a delivery of absolute crusty.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm twenty one years old. Yes, I am if you need so. Then we're at school and they say they're looking at the door, and they say, she's almost done flirting with the vending machine guy. So they quickly step the booze and her coffee and they say, Hazel not Kreamer, covers all the sins, so she'll be able to tell this alcohol in there, and then she's not completely wasting class. She gives Millhouse an extra siket because she says, you're gonna have a really hard life. She can't write in the top board. She's just yeah, she's going downhill fast. She's really drunk. Seventy good time though, well yeah, and also talent like it is because as our friends in the olden daisy to say, in vino veritause, yes, in wine there is truth. But then she goes and she interrupts the Exchange student assembly. I did like the song.
Speaker 6: You you know why they call it a choir? Because choir are we listening to this crap? These pantyholes are all twisted.
Speaker 3: Up, and that please, even the Union can't protect you from this.
Speaker 2: Give me one night, Dewey, I'll get you off Broadway. Never missus k never anyone who could just say give me one night, like, yes, man, I'll take it, and then she runs away from Skinner and we come back from commercial. She's made front page of the Daily fourth Gradient and she reveals that teacher reveals side of the pend wang wang yeah wang yeh Jimbo no is wasted and this was wasted ye. Skinner then fires her, let's it go, and she says, I'm gonna cry. So he tries to make it feel bit about giving her a hanky, but it's a magic hanky.
Speaker 5: Magic tricks, which had a nice payoff with the revolving chair.
Speaker 2: She was a private moment. He'spin around as a rabbit and he's trying to get out under the rug and I think he says like he's a formulat to extend your health insurance, something along those lines. Anyway, the kids are all watching her leave at the window and but it's like, you know what, maybe I should come clean. But as he's pondering that, that's when Zagary Vaughan Vaughan Yvonne walks in. He's an med from Tufts University.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the kind of name that you to have on you know, like hanging with mister Cooper or saved by the bell. When the new yeah, when the new cool teacher works up, Hey kids, a mister Vaughan, but you can call me Zach attack.
Speaker 2: I feel like those teachers never work, as we're saying earlier, because you feel it's so cool, but it comes to point where they have to be a teacher. Oh yeah, and then you're just like you no, no, you're one of us. I don't respect. Yeah, and you have no respect, and they don't listen, and then they crack and they lose it.
Speaker 5: That's correct. They crash out, as one dando.
Speaker 2: Might say, yes, but he gives all their phones back and he says, your homework is just twenty minutes of twittering. And I think a millhouse is that text was well worth the fifteenth cents to receive it, and I was like, wow, that was really a thing. We used to have to pay the text. That's that's why, thankfully, because that's no longer a thing. I feel like abbreviated words is gone now, that's right. Do people still stay long yes? Or you are? Yeah? You are? Emojencys is a new thing, yeah, of course, yeah, but yeah, just which is.
Speaker 5: Probably even more damaging. We're basically going back to hieroglyphics, we used.
Speaker 2: To say like wehender, like w E n d A whender. Hell, it's just everything was a shortened version wyd what you do? I'm down? But yeah, so just just crazy. But then back at home and Bart loves the new teacher because you know, he's live blogged, he skyped, he even friended him on Facebook. Again, very out of touch, and marg just work for missus K and Bar's like, now, how you got up on the four square court that she's that she's okay. Then we're at the school again and Zachary is drinking blue Bronco. Who can tell me what the Monroe doctrine was? And Martin knows and he's like, wait, you use your brain for that. You've got your phone, You've got Google. And it's like, this guy's not a good teacher. No, No, I can't remember how many times I've said recently to the always like yeah, we'll be watching TV's like personal looks familiar or what does someone saw? Actually, then like, wait a minute, We've got all the information in the world right here, let's look it up. It's like, but we should know these things. I had something the other day I couldn't think of someone's name, right, I was you know who it was? It was Seth Rogan. I'm like, I'm like, what was the guy's name? Not the one I'm like. And I sat there and I was like, you know what, I am not getting my phone out. I'm going to sit here and fucking remember it. And took me about thirty seconds, which felt a lifetime. I'm like, why can't I think of his name? And I was like, well, Seth Rogan, and I was like, such a relief to go. I used my brain for this. Yeah, but it's like when your phone is running slow and your hard Drubb is running slow or something. It's like, we'll get there eventually. But oh my goodness, I've said yes many times in the past of that. It was scary. It's in there. Access access, access, access, Yeah, but there's a relief when I got there, Oh my goodness. I nearly gave up and nearly went I'll just get my phone out. I was like, no, no, don't don't do it. Don't do it. Use that brain of yours. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Siefould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. But as Martin says, he have crammed my head full of garbage, and then he finds all smiley stickers and he's basically like, now, I run a paperless classroom. We don't need any of this nonsense whatever you know, I use a nonsense punctuation, No tony pond sideways, it's a smiley face. Imagine the first time someone got that their mind was fucking blog. Zachary probably thinks always running a paper free classroom. You know, he's been good for the environment a little and lowing that you know, data centers are just destroying the planet exactly. Yeah, And Bart says, I'll take the stickers to missus Casey as she's going she probably got a job some fancy school. Cut to Harrow Academy, make away for the new freshman.
Speaker 8: Where do I find the books? The bulls and the bronze. Indeed, how about a little privacy. I've got a matriculate, sir.
Speaker 9: This is a benefit to increase our endowment.
Speaker 6: Honey.
Speaker 8: If we increase your undumb and anymore, we'll all be in the sheet. You're all right, Hey, everyone, desert's on me.
Speaker 2: Rodney. Yes you think it's Rodney And it pans out. She's watching the movie on TV, which I thought was, yeah, very good, but yeah, just roddy hilarious, right, just an endowment joke. Yes, that's coming up little bit later. But this is where bart enters. She says, it's sad to see a teacher falling so low. It is true. It's weird when you're a kid and you see your teacher be human. You see them like outside of workouts, just being normals, like ah, you're not that, you're not missing so and so, you're just your edna, you know, and seeing them sometimes overseeing a teacher she was crying in the hall because something tragically happened, like someone passed away or whatever. Jobs just be giving the news and it's like, oh shit, yare the human. Yeah she's like she was like the mean science teacher. But I'm like, ah, but you know what, She's not a mean science teat. She's just someone trying to help us get through life. And then you're cry and you're like, oh wait, yeah, you're just a human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've got a teacher that.
Speaker 5: I had when I was like in middle school, when I was like form two year eight something like that, and I'll see him pop up on the aforementioned Facebook occasionally in like comments from people of my era. I don't know how old much older than this and none this guy is than me, but it still feels weird. Yeah, yeah, it's like you wouldn't be talking with us, even even though we're all adults now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the same times thing. I don't know, dude. Yeah, I saw the teacher who basically got me out of my anxiety when I was a kid. He like pushed me in front of the assemblies and I just have to do this and do that, and like I credit him for I wouldn't be doing podcasts. It wasn't for this guy. Steve Dirk is his name, but I still call him mister Dirk, and he's like, give me, Steve. I'm like I can't, actually, I just I can't do it, mister Durkan shout out to Steve and missus case now putting stickers on overdue payment notes, the one that has brought to her she hasn't watched her hair for two weeks. This is actually a good gig. When's the last time watched your hair? Like two weeks ago? Than me, She says, I'm out of work, amount of money, and the only guy that wants me is disco stew Well he's not just in the disco, apparently he's also a super Christian super Christian as well. Yeah, but now it's parents night and on the board it'says zack attack dot com. Look this up zach attack dot com. Zach Attack is a cover band for parties for real yeah birthdays. Where are they based? I think the US? Zach attacked to type in dot com dot au to get the local version zacho. So Homer says, basically, it's just like, look, there's a big game on, don't waste my time, just you know, tell me this time. Let's get through this and you can relate. It gives him some money to just sort of give some good grades. Not a's just something that incompass yet and then he says, no, lock a challenge, you know, and and I was like, let's not be stupid. Then it says to Homer, all you need to do is relax cause I can see that you're a caring father, and I'm like that advice would probably help a lot of men, Like I know you're putting on this tough facade, but like you can relax. I feel like this, this, this advice would work for my dad. It's like, I know that you're loving dad, so just chill. Had a little bit like you don't have to be so on on all the time. Yeah, Beho burst out crying, which I thought went on for too long, but at least they backed it up with a gag where he said let it out, let it out, kept going. Yeah, And I was very much of a mind like, hey, if I was writing this, I had I would say keep something, you can keep something, and then and then they said keep it in and keep it in. Yeah. So I'm like me and Matt Somelmon, We're pretty.
Speaker 6: Much like this.
Speaker 2: Take you at dinner next time. Correct, but now at book of Chino's and they've ordered two hot chocolates with hot fudge boost. Yeah, Well, what's your best Basically what you want. Isn't it do you want? Was it a bookstore or was it video store? You want to? Oh, all of the but.
Speaker 5: No, my my mini dream was always there was a I've said this before, there was a small cinema in Geelong called The Picks. Closed now it's been too my pants at Casper, the Picks Theater understandable. I don't need to go, and Dad's like, we can wait this ten minutes left and I was like, I can't wait. I pissed my pants, Dad, because Casper is so spooky. I need to relax.
Speaker 2: But you need to let your son take of that movie. I need to see if it becomes human again. I need to see.
Speaker 5: We're going to get another clinics with Cameo. Apparently there's a cleanest with Cameo in in Casper.
Speaker 2: I can't recall. Kids watch it recently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're like looking in the mirror or something, and oh, you're right, Gibson in there as well.
Speaker 2: I can't remember. I can't remember.
Speaker 5: Continue anyway, Yeah, but Picks it's closed now or it's been refurbished into little townhouses which are kind of ugly in all honesty. I was like, I love to turn this into a rep cinema that's open, maybe like re nights a week shows old movies. It's got a coffee shop in the front and a bookstrap off to the side. Yes, nice, a little artistic hub and Elizabeth streets along.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Rodney Dangerfield, Eatwitter, Mel Gibson cameo in Casper. Rodney and there is what do we call that down unified theory of four finger disc that's insane, right, I don't know if I don't even know if this camera is still on. I'm looking at it. It's like the new name Jones. We're going to this fucking blind. We didn't know that Rodney danger Bell was in Casper. We're going to be talking about it. Holy Mullet's Brilly.
Speaker 5: But book chetos Yes, but yeah, I mean this used to be a proper country, used to have things like Borders Borders bookstore where you could go get a coffee. Yeah, not necessarily read the buy the book. You can actually just take it off the shelf and have a bit of a thumb through while you're drinking a coffee and put it back on the shelf. It's a pretty crummy business model now I think about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, a Millhouse says that we can't lose. Would be great, get missus k a job back, but we need to keep Zach around as well, because he says, let's check out this video we just sent and he's showing these multiples of seven various jerseys. Yeah, oh god, the T shirt trend. Yeah that was the thing, wasn't it. Now he says, bookstores don't have answers. Just crip you guys. At the end of vials, most sitting there reading a Doris Kurz Goodwin's Team of Rivals book. Yeah, that's about about Lincoln, I think, okayu. He's like, guess no one's ever written a book to help a middle aged woman turn her life around. You The answer, The Answer, which is a takeoff of The Secret, which was a big deal in two thousand and six.
Speaker 5: The Secret was indeed a big deal. And guess what written by a nussy.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why there's a nausey accent in this little video, a little clip writing the book.
Speaker 9: My life was over, I lost my job, my husband left me, I had to sleep in a kangaroo's pouch, and then I found the answer. The Answer was discovered by the philosophers of ancient Greece, who hit it under a rock where it was discovered by the knights of King Arthur, who placed it in a bottle and set it in the ocean, where it was found by Pat Sajak. These great men knew the answer. The answer is the secret to achieve in your heart's desire. Learn the answer and change your life.
Speaker 3: Available wherever it do be, as queasi scientific self help books are sold.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something about Ronda Burn do it the writer? Tell me creator of the secret? Was she discovered by Pat Sajack?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately not pats Ajack, not affiliated with the secret, very associated with the answer.
Speaker 2: We was real big fans of real fortune. Not the same, right, Seacrest? Yeah, pats Ajack, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, No, in this household, we yeah, worship and revere Pat's Ajack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Secrest. Oh he's doing one for himself. Yeah, let's stop on that. He's not such Oh no, God, but yeah. Ronny Byrne was a producer of television show Okay, shows like Oz Encounters UFOs in Australia and I'm not sure how many seasons of the World's Greatest Commercials, but certainly more than one. They were a huge thing. Yeah, Andrew Daddy used to host. Oh, absolutely, well, it's funny convention before.
Speaker 5: You had YouTube supercuts of like blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd like twenty to one. I can't believe you just said that. I found out of VHS TEP there that they put it in as one for when were a kid as Simpson's but at the end of it has an episode of Bob Downs twenty to one. Oh my goodness, as Bob Downs twenty to one one hit one or whatever, and I was like, Bob Downs.
Speaker 5: This guy, Oh yeah, yeah, very campy celebrity sort of persona that this guy.
Speaker 2: Created listicles before listicles were a thing, very much so.
Speaker 5: But I'm taking this from Wikipedia, which is we all know was one hundredercent accurate. After the death of her father in two thousand and four, Burn became very depressed. Who knew cameras when every hadn't found the answer why am I looking at the camera? At the instigation of her daughter Hayley, she read a book called The Science of Getting Rich and then began to work on the secret, which I might be a bit of a ripoff of the science of getting rich, because it's essentially it's the law of attraction. You know, if you put it save money. Yeah, no, no, it's nothing like that. It's basically, I believe the kids today called it manifestation. If you want good things to happen to you.
Speaker 2: If I've said a podcast I now.
Speaker 5: Essentially it's like, hmmm, I think I'd like to have a million dollars. How can I What advice can I give to my future self that will help me get that million dollars? And you basically just have to sort of think about, Yeah, I want this, I want this. Two words only fans. Two words work hard because like the other day, how were going to Disneyland a couple of years and I was like, only fans. She's like, nah, you pondited it for a second.
Speaker 2: You said to it. I didn't mean you just in money, guys making incredible I've got lonely fans. Yeah, but look, I'm not sure how much money uh Ronda made from the secret, but it's like it's that old thing enough. People don't get rich digging for gold. People get rich by selling shovels to people who were digging for gold. Barefoot Investor and yeah, well that guy's legit. Yeah, I like The Barefoot Investor. But yeah.
Speaker 5: Ronda also came up with The Secrets, the book, The Secret, a documentary film. She then came out with The Power and The Magic. I've read none of these things.
Speaker 2: But also I feel like it just creates a reputation where people just felt like their life was on track if they owned it. You know, I hadn't read. It's like I've got this now. Oh yeah, I'm able to get my life back on track.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: So many people are like that, and unfortunately I can myself among them in terms of like, Okay, I've got this self help book, I need to read it.
Speaker 2: I've got it. Yeah, I've taken the first step into a larger world. Yeah. But in two thousand and seven, burn Rounder Burrn was featured in Time magazines one hundred Most Influential People. She gained mainstream popularity and commercial success after repairing on The Oprah Winfrey Show. So the book was based on the earlier film of the same name. So this was a film first, What was it? I get the feeling it was. So The Secret is a two thousand and six self help book by Ronda Byrn based on the earlier film of the same name. Oh okay, yeah, oh the film and the conversation. Yeah, I remember. I was gonna say, I remember my mom my sisters be into this kind of stuff, getting my mum to watch this thing. And the mom's like, can you get a copy of the secret for me? And I was like, what is this? And I found it. I found I'm like, what in the fucking hell are you watching, mum? But there's like this documentary about getting your life back on track? Okay.
Speaker 5: For much of February through April two thousand and seven, both the book and the DVD versions were number one.
Speaker 2: That's why Book Slash DVD. That's where there we go.
Speaker 5: At Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders. Holy moly, yeah, get the feeling on the burn is probably, as I like to say, sitting on a beach.
Speaker 2: Yes, But this is where they get the idea of, well, we'll take this book to to missus Kate, so helpe we get a life back on traits. So they take the book slash DVD to her house, but she's not buying it at all. She can see through it or she's like, no, this is all bullshit.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, I mean, look, they make a good case. Look at all the people who are benefited from the answer. Saint Peter, Charlemagne, Jack the Ripper, Colonel Sanders, Barry Bonds, noted baseball player, might in steroid controversy, the guy who Mary brookshields.
Speaker 2: He did alright from Tom and Santa any clause. But, as Bart says, the Simpson never gives up unless they've tried one easy thing. So he gets her to write her dreams down on an index card. What's your dream on an index card? Of fate, he says, And she wants to own a muffin store, So he says, break your wish to break break down your wishes into wishable actions or something along those lines.
Speaker 5: Look, which is actually not a bad idea. I mean, yeah, if you've got a huge task ahead of you, how do you make it happen?
Speaker 2: Yes? You break it down into small tasks? Yes? How do you eat an elephant one bite at a time. It's like going to the supermarket, Just no, no list. You're in trouble. You're gonna buy all the ship. You don't need to have a list in front of you know what you need to get you're walking in you'll save money and you're having to go. I've actually got everything that I.
Speaker 5: Need and then got to have a planned It's like a very stable individual Will Smith's.
Speaker 2: Age two. Can you build that wall one brick at a time? I mean, there's no way that really happened, but it's a good story. It's a good story. Yeah. But there's now time for the grand opening of Edna's Edibles, which is apparently a take off of something TV. Where was it was in the Wikipedia page where say the line.
Speaker 5: Which which always steers is clear, which is always one hundred percent accurate?
Speaker 2: Accurate? Yes, the store business opens. It is called Edna's Edibles, a reference to the store that Missus Garrett owned on the Facts of Life. Oh you're aware of the Facts of Life. I'm sure I am not. No, no, no, sit come from I know it's an old show, but I have known nothing about it.
Speaker 5: Sit come from the eighties set in a girls school. I believe that Missus Garrett, she might have been the housekeeper for mister Drummond in different strokes, okay, and made such an different room. Yeah, but then they she got her own spinoff where she was.
Speaker 2: Like the I loves doing spinoffs back then, didn't they I'm doing spinoffs. I think she was like the housekeeper or the house mistress of like a girl's boarding school or something, and at least four girls. This is quite a big show for a while. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both.
Speaker 5: And there you have the facts alive, the facts alive.
Speaker 2: You can look this up on YouTube. The back to the life. Well, I guess maybe she opened up a store, early role for early real early role for George cliney, Oh, there we go. It was like handyman named Buster or some ship like that. I don't know, man, but the grand opening is going well, and she asked, but what's your dream? And it's flame vision. It felt actually kind of felt like an early SWAT's Water kind of gag where he nex across the street. He's trying to get start a barbeque on fire.
Speaker 5: He's done well, light of petrol, boars were okay, yeah, gas gas station.
Speaker 2: That's right. I guess. So Flanders orders a cran brand for the Flanman. What did he want? I noticed game with banana. I thought this might have been the moment that Flanners and missus Ka fall in love because they get married. Spoiler alert spoiler alert, Yeah wow. But she thinks Bart for helping turn her life around. He says, one because I'm off the hawk now was like, what do you mean? Oh, I guess it's don't tell the truth. I better come clean. And then she rages and she says, you know, my real dream was to be a teacher, and I thought they need to focus more on that. She's like, this isn't my dream. My dream was to teach you. I wanted to do that. That is my ideal life, and they need to sort of they punched that line and that that was there to be a key part of this episode. Was No, my dream was what I was doing. That was my dream. My life seemed like it was hard, but I loved doing that. That was my dream to teach you guys. She says she's up to her ears and dead and there's four more Muffin stores opening across the road.
Speaker 5: I like these names indeed, now, yeah, please say them because I was going to write them down, but I did not.
Speaker 2: Muff said crumbs, keep on muffin, hr muff and stuff was that's the one. That's a good one, and muff Mart fifty k fifty thousand square feet of nothing but muffins and coming soon a muffin store. Then she he destroys the answer book by burning I believe. He's like, no, I read a fun phone number in there, and she thought there was a spark of decency in him. She's like, no, you know what, you are bad on the inside. She's he's disappointed her and Bart can't take this at all. He's at home and he's worried. He asks Homer if he's bad on the inside, and hope it just gives classic terrible advice. No, but your layers are bad on the outside. Go almost all the way. At the same time, Yes, I thought this was all right.
Speaker 5: I mean, this was reminiscent of I forgot which episode it's in, Yeah, but it's one that we've covered on going on Springfield recently. But you know, when they pass each other on the street, they know the boy who knew too much? That's right, how do you do so sucker that kind of but the whole sort of wink, that kind of I like it when they're co conspirators, you know, even even in this stage where they kind.
Speaker 2: Of dropped the ball and you go just for the sake of home and being a dumbass. Yeah, but he asked, Homer, is okay, if I tricked the new teacher, it means the old teacher gets her job back. And he's like, when he's a teacher, do you mean my parent? No? No, I mean teachers. That's all right. Then then Bart sneaks into class and he's about to spike the Blue Bronco. But then he just you be cutting him telling the truth. He's like, I was gonna do the wrong thing again, but two wrongs don't make it right. I'm going to come clean. And Skinner says, your reward will be a severe punishment. But he says, I think and this again another one the need to double down on. Bart's like, I don't care if I get punished, as long as they get said job back. And when was missus cake it's a job. I don't care if I get in trouble. I deserve to get in trouble. And he says, Unfortunately, I can't just fire mister Vaughan for nothing. He has to do something wrong. Immediately we overhear him. He's out in the hallway yelling I hate children. Just faculty talking the hallway.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, Skinner gives the reasons why. It's you know, you can't fire a teacher for being in combat or even though just show but not touch anyone.
Speaker 2: We got to keep them all. Yes, does anybody else want to ride the Indigo pone?
Speaker 9: Is there extra credit in it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: They're going to eat you alive, cal Tech boy alive? Oh yeah, please, there's a prison down and down. Oh you kids just screw down and down kids and fine, God.
Speaker 9: It's all the ways, the good ones that go crazy, the fastest get off.
Speaker 2: You can get rid of me, but you can't get rid of the truth.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: The schools glorified hamster wheel run by incompetent bureaucrats who can get you through a test, but you will.
Speaker 3: Fail the test of life. Gentleman, fingers in your errors and make the lalla sound.
Speaker 6: La la la la la la la la.
Speaker 2: Why he did this? It just makes it okay. It just feels like this guy's crash out. As I said, crash out. The kids would say, m M. Came out of nowhere, unexpected warrant. It's just like we need him gone. He's going to spike his own drink.
Speaker 5: You're like, why yeah, look, I'm not sure it would have worked for comedic slash dramatic purposes, but you needed a little gradual loss of respect, a little loss.
Speaker 2: Of control exactly as I was going to say, yep, exactly, yeah, to the point where he's kind of like ah, yeah and he crashes out yes, yeah, because I just feel like him seems he seems like he's such a good space absolutely, so why was he doing this? He needs to show that, Oh, the kids don't respect me, even though but I'm lett you do what you want. It's like, yeah, it's still a teacher.
Speaker 5: Or you do a little sort of sneaky ending where it's yeah, not necessarily morally right, but you know, Edna snuck it, and like Spark.
Speaker 2: You can't do that, you can't do it. They reflect to poorly on Edna. She need to get a job, back to the right way legitimately, but you're right there, and they need to have a moment where he sort of tried to teach them something. They go, you're not a teacher, you're you're a friend or whatever, and then he's like realizing, oh ship, these kids don't respect me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: In need a scene where like Skinner or charmers. These kids out learning anything. Yeah, it's gonna you know, the grading curve is dropping or something. It's like, oh, we're about to lose funding, you know, because our kids they need to pass this test, at which point he goes, all right, kids, knuckle down, Fuck you, Zach.
Speaker 2: Because what does he yell out this this school is a glorified hamster. We'll run by bureaucrats who can't get you through a test, but you'll fail the test of life. So that's that line would have worked well if it was as he said. Skinner went to him and said, look, these kids grades are going down. I know that they might be having a good time, but we need to they need to pass the test. They're not passing with this math. We go we fixed it. Matt happy to help. Yeah, but missus Case get some dinners on you. She gets her job back. What wasn't here was on Phil recenthal actually stop rubbing it in. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, speaking of the Hill, talking Sifould, the one about friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. But missus k she gets a job back and she offers everybody's yummy muffins, and this is her payback because stay, you will eat the muffin. And then we get the same kind of voice of it as we did last week with last episode with every Man, like every Man will be here to save the day or whatever. He's on the mountaintop. That's right, This one here, says a simple school teacher found fulfillment in muffin based revenge, all thanks to the answer weird yeah comes out probably that gay probably worked in two thousand and nine because the fresh yeah. But if you're watching this, I like those muffins watching this. How sixteen years later is sixteen eighteen twenty five minus nine is what? Sixteen year sixteen? I was right? Mass is okay? So I'm still there. Yes, you didn't use the calculator. I didn't know, so sixteen years later, Yeah, it was very much just a fad, wasn't it. It was?
Speaker 5: But it's one of those fads that you know, we don't really grow out of if you're not you know, like I said.
Speaker 2: Every generation has this secret. Oh yeah, if you're brave enough to get on TikTok, or if you're already on there or whatever a new type in manifestation, you will just be inundated with shit I've got, like, I've seen like two or three people who there's a couple of guys who went in particular who wouldn't call him a friend is an associate. He's always been friends with my friends. And he's that guy who you acquaintance. He's that guy who you never really know what he does for a living. He's like sometimes he's dejing and sometimes he's organizing events, and it's like it's just a hustle. He's just hustling, hustling, hustling. It's mitchru that's not mitched. No, it's always hustling. And then the other day went on Facebook and I saw he started a new podcast about finding fulfillment and laughing like, a fucking course, this guy has Liken't fucking course he has. I said this the other day on Facebook where the cool kids are hanging out, I'd read some article in a major newspaper and there was this guy who sort of built himself as a life coach. He looked like a little Wenus by the way, but he was talking about, yeah, there's no such thing as workload balance and all this kind of stuff. But then he sort of he was talking about what you have instead of work life balance, and he was talking about work life balance. And I was like, if this guy, who was probably making halfway decent bank by suckering people into like this is how you optimize your life or whatever, if it's this easy, if I had no shame at all, I would just I would do this. I would be an absolute fucking self help grifter. Yeah, you know, you come up, you type in you're type in the GBT or copilt or what it. It's like, give me ten mottos for self optimization and living a quote unquite good life. It'll give you that.
Speaker 5: You then sort of put a little week. Yeah, you put your own clock in it. Put a clock in it, yeah, exactly right. Put a little spice on it. It's level of hot sauce on or whatever. I've used all my cliches. You give it a title that includes the words fuck or badass and then you just board that gravy trained baby.
Speaker 2: We should do it? How many?
Speaker 5: How many times have we said, look, we should either write a Christmas song a children write a children's book.
Speaker 2: I feel like I could genuinely write one as well. I got a children's book for a Christmas song, both, especially children's. But I've read some children's books and I'm like, how the what the pick? Pick the pug?
Speaker 6: How is this?
Speaker 5: Like you're talking about the Is he the guy who wrote The Bad Guys? There was an article about him?
Speaker 2: And looks actually yeah, it was a pug and I'm sorry to say he was very terrible and almost every way I'm like, what the the fucking hell is going on? I can write this ship Andy Lee and do not open this book, and I'm like, there's a TV show for this, now, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 5: Okay, let's let's back off from eating all these our grapes, all right, we shouldn't we shouldn't be doing it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not sour Grasman just like wal credit Tom And I'm like, oh yeah, but it's this easy.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but that yeah, that kind of grift. Yeah, but it still exists absolutely. It's one thing I really don't like that sort of self optimization kind of deal. When did we start, you know, glorifying salesman. Maybe it was just the Wolf of war Street could be Yeah, oh that's the thing. You're always going to have a whole bunch of people who would just take the wrong lesson from various things. People like, you know, he's a real hero, is that Tony Montana, real driven salesperson, Tony soprano?
Speaker 2: Mate, Well, yeah, it was like you know who's Rise and Grind said, I really admired Patrick Bateman, Walter White and people who just don't get the message of the Wolf of Wall Street, who see by the end that this guy has lost everything and he's just starting another grift and people are still buying into it. Sell me this pip, this pan.
Speaker 5: It's brilliant, but it's so fucking dark because this is a whole generation of people are like, well, if they see you this pin, then then I'll learn the secret ahead to sitit you and I'll end up like fucking Leo in The Wolf wolfs what a dumb ass di spiriting time to.
Speaker 2: Be a lie. You might get Margot Robbie though, so you might What do we learn, Bomber? What'd you learn from the episode? What did I learn from the episode? That is best to sometimes best to keep it in, always keep it in in. From forward, your names will be is the Guy Davis New Name Challenge for season twenty one. The current leaderboard stands at this In the third position, we have Dave McNally on one point, In sex position we have Nathan Briggs on two points, and in first position we have Clever Kayle on three points.
Speaker 5: Take it away, sir, okay. One point goes to the breakfast.
Speaker 2: Flub breakfast flub, I like it. That is Jack McFadden with his first point of the season. Well done, so nice work, Jack. Two points goes to wasted potential. Wasted potential, Yes, she was indeed wasted. It is Clevi Carver Clever. That title is his second time he's got points, So that's two. That means that puts him on four points. He's now out right first wild uncle over Carle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're still gonna give her three points, so anything could happen. Almost anything could happen.
Speaker 2: Three points goes two shots for teacher. That is Justin williams weld On Justin nice work Justin indeed all right, so that means clever Kyle's in first position of four points. It means Justin Williams is in second on three points and Nathan Briggs is in third position on two points. Very tight there at the top. After two rounds. The race is just beginning. Who knows where it's gonna lead. As we say, guys, you can also get in touch with us. It is Mailbag at four figure Discount dot com dot You've got a Mailbag episode coming up. We want all the questions of the messages coming through and if you've got any ideas for Guess you'd like to see, oh here on the show as well in the future, let us know. Mailbag at four figure Discount dot com dot are you? But this has been our review of bar Guess a Z. Mister Davisendy find words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 5: We hope you enjoyed this episode of four Figure Discount, the podcast that just shows up and doesn't touch anyone.