Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App Kamala Harris and Donald Trump both highlighting economic policies as they continue their outreach. Specifically, former President Trump in Durrow, Florida, for a town hall meeting on the economy. Vice President Harris is talking to NBC's Nightly News tonight, sitting down for an interview with them, but doesn't have any other events planned campaign wise today. We were talking earlier about the Oh, just just a quick just a quick note about it.
Speaker 3: Gary.
Speaker 2: I think even like American airlines in Southwest have the TVs on the plane.
Speaker 1: So basically you're telling everybody you're Weirdoly fly Spirit.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I've never flown Spirit and if you did, that would be okay too.
Speaker 2: Why is I have no idea what makes him angry about it?
Speaker 4: I don't think it's about the Spirit.
Speaker 2: Most recently, I've flown Southwest, fly Southwest a lot, because we're in the Southwest. I've flown Alaska a lot, but I've never flown aund Alaska plane that has TV screens. They do, some of them do now I was on a United flight coming back from Chicago. They didn't have screens in there. I mean most of them all have You can use your own.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, then that's the other thing.
Speaker 1: A lot of people just use their phones or iPads or what have you.
Speaker 2: But well, we were talking about the phone setup why people use the speakers on their phone.
Speaker 5: Hey, good morning, Gary and Channon. I hear what you're saying about the speaker phone issue. However, my phone is not working properly right now, and I can't have a conversation unless it's on speaker. And I cringe when I'm in public and I have to be on a call because I think it's rude as well.
Speaker 4: But I write now, don't have a choice, got it.
Speaker 2: So your phone is broken, that's understanding, that's understandable.
Speaker 4: I can get that. We'll do more of those here in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Remember the Turpin siblings, the six Turpin siblings subject to years of child abuse the hands of their foster parents.
Speaker 4: This was after enduring more than.
Speaker 1: A decade of abuse by their biological parents.
Speaker 4: This was the house of horrors.
Speaker 1: Remember the one of the little girls escaped while she was about fourteen or fifteen, But looked about eight or nine malnourished kids, kept in the dark, couldn't leave the home the whole bit, so six of them went to foster parents, where they apparently were abused some more. There has been a conviction and sentences of handed out to those former foster parents, but now the attorneys who represent the siblings are going after Riverside County and the foster agency that placed them as well.
Speaker 2: Rosa Lenis and Marcellino Olgeen were the ones that were taking in these kids, some of the kids. They've been sentenced for several counts of child abuse. Just last week, Rosa and Lenni so Olgein had their sentences suspended, given four years of probation. Marcellino pleaded guilty to charges of sexual abuse in addition to the child abuse, instead sentenced to seven years of state prison. An attorney says, the damage that this foster family was capable of doing was limited to the number of kids they had in their home. It was terrible, it was tragic, should never have happened. Caused great harm to our clients that were already already messed up by their own line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: The foster agency or the authorities that b would be extra careful to place these kids after what they had gone through. It was twenty eighteen when one of these thirteen Turpin siblings escaped from the home contacted law enforcement. It was David and Luis Turpin who arrested, pleaded guilty to multiple counts of child abuse, torture, and false imprisonment, sentenced to life in prison. But this case got so much publicity, so much media attention, you would think that all eyes would be on where did these kids land and the fact that they landed at a home where such abuse was and maybe it's just so pervasive in the foster care system. I have no idea, but you would think that there would be extra attention paid to where they were placed. You would hope, you would hope for all kids right there are, but especially when they're in the spotlight.
Speaker 2: A Riverside County spokesperson came out and said, we remained the county. We remain committed to their well being and their lifelong journey of healing. We appreciate our county and community partners who collaborate with us to support the family and every family with services and resources. All but one of those kids is now adult. So out of the thirteen kids, one of them still technically in foster care with foster parents. Said that basically that they're doing She's doing well. The others are all out on their own, some are in college, some making their own way in the world, at least according to the lawyer.
Speaker 1: So just to sad, be careful what you say in public because somebody is always recording these days.
Speaker 2: Well that and people are on their speakerphone all the time, so you got to be careful what you say.
Speaker 6: Gary Chaanning, I'm a military event.
Speaker 7: I am hard a hearing.
Speaker 4: When I put the phone up to my ear, it sounds muffled. I can hear a lot more clear when I was on speakerphone. Interesting, So yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't do it in public though it's just around the house.
Speaker 4: Good, I love your shood day, Thank you.
Speaker 1: For your service. I I'm the opposite. I have a really hard time hearing when it's on the speaker phone. Yeah, words don't they're all muffled.
Speaker 2: But those are two great reasons that we didn't think of why people would talk on their speakerphone in public.
Speaker 4: Although he said he doesn't do it in public, he would do it at the phone. But your your.
Speaker 2: Phone is broken. You have hearing issues. I understand. I mean, these are shiny little speakers that aren't designed for sure, But what about the other people? But there are others.
Speaker 1: So I have a Korean market near me, and Jacob asked if I could pick something up from the Korean market, and I said absolutely, it's right.
Speaker 4: On my way home.
Speaker 1: I said, send me a picture. He sends me a picture of this salted shrimp. But it's like in a jar and it looks like it's chopped up, and I just I go to the market. My husband asks for this particular kind of granola, and I go to the Ralphs and I spend like ten fifteen minutes trying to find the granola that's like this honey nut organic granola because I never remember what aisle the granola is in, because I don't usually buy granola, And that's a struggle for me to get an item that I'm not familiar with at my local market at the Ralphs where it's in English. How the hell am I I'm going to wander the aisles for like an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is show somebody that, okay, and they'll help you.
Speaker 4: I'll just be an idiot instead of time concerning Okay, every once in a while, it's okay, just to get you out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 2: I mean, or you know what would be better is you call Jacob while you're walking up and down the aisle.
Speaker 4: Oh, we have to talk to him on speaker phone and be like, can you look at that? And they look like maggots? Someone's calling you? Should I answer it? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, ask her, it's my sister. Ask her how to pronounce the name of the Nascar Brothers.
Speaker 4: The question, the name of the Nascar Brothers? Is it? He starts with the room, No, starts of the tea, doesn't it? Remember, Amy King.
Speaker 2: Asked us earlier, Frankie Munez is going to be driving for this NASCAR team, and she was looking for the pronunciation.
Speaker 4: Oh r E A U A U M me. She doesn't know, she doesn't know.
Speaker 2: Wow, she said, it's the it's like the NASCAR minor leagues that she doesn't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, got it all right? Thanks bye. Well that was a good start. Did you see what this shrimp on speakerphone? Yeah, that's not that's not real. That's what is that imitate shrimp. What is this shrimp? They look like little maggots jakes for Kimshi Fried Rice.
Speaker 1: Oh that's very exotic, Okay, I do like fred Rice. Well, the candidate running to unseat Kevin d Leone who got caught on hidden tape talking about a fellow city council member's adopted son, saying that he was an accessory like a designer handbag, the adopted son being black, the city council member being white.
Speaker 4: That did not go over well.
Speaker 1: The candidate running to unseat him has been caught on tape now saying f the police.
Speaker 2: Isabelle Jarado is running in the election to represent the neighborhoods from else Reno to Eagle Rock basically, and someone was asking one of the potential constituents was asking about abolishing police.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize we were still on that.
Speaker 3: As a residency fourteen Yes, and punk from East LA who active in the scene kind of still I'm retired as someone who's myself pro abolishment of police, where do you stand on that spectrum? And also, what do you think about Capnillion's discretionary fund spending on overtime for police?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What's the rap verse the police. That's how I see him and reach against the machine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's not on hidden that sounds like a microphone that that guy's on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she and it's a public forum.
Speaker 1: This is an I thought this was going to be an offhanded comment, off to the side in a private conversation. This was in front of people, and her excuse for it was I was just quoting the song. But she says, what's the rap verse f the police? And then says that's how I see them.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and then goes on to talk about rage against the machine. It wasn't clear what song she was referencing, but it's probably killing in the name.
Speaker 1: Also Kevin de Leone's plan to use discretioninary discretionary funds to pay for overtime. He's gaining some ground back with me for that take in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: It's an Listen.
Speaker 2: You don't have to capitulate to constituents if they say something as absolutely ridiculous as we want to abolish the police department, where do you stand? You can say, I have plenty of beefs with the police department.
Speaker 4: I've had a history of bad.
Speaker 2: What do you call experiences with police and law says, whatever her history is, she could lay that out and not say F the police.
Speaker 1: Now she says, it's not the rage song, but it's a Kanye song. Kanye West song All Falls Down features the line I say F the police, That's how I treat them.
Speaker 4: That that was more in line.
Speaker 1: With her saying off the police, that's how I see them, still quoting Kanye, which is still a problem for me.
Speaker 2: It didn't come back, thankfully. Police Chief Dominic Choi interim issued his own statement and said that saying things like that diminishes the hard work and the dedication of the men and women of the l a p D. It's rare that a police chief would get involved in something political like this, but said that this divisive language only serves to e road what should be a positive and collaborative relationship between the police and the people we serve. Are the words that she said dangerous Now she's just she's it's moronic, But it's not dangerous.
Speaker 4: Is she calling back? Reum? Just how it's just how it looks. Ok thank you for doing your due diligence.
Speaker 2: That's how we do research on this show, as we call O.
Speaker 4: Got it? Okay? That makes sense. Yeah, why it would be a little.
Speaker 2: Chris uh Elon Musk and Gavin Newsom actually agree on something, right now, Well they're rich dudes.
Speaker 1: He's not that rich, No, it is much, but they're the same kind of dude.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an interesting political thing that they agree on. That kind of surprised that President Putin is playing host to some of the biggest gatherings of world leaders since the invasion of Ukraine, using the Bricks Summit to show the United States and other Western countries that Russia is no pariah. So they've got the Chinese President Shi Jinping, Indian Prime Minister Modi, the South African President Ramafosa. They're all joining Vladimir Putin, alongside leaders of some new Bricks countries. Iran, Egypt, UAE, Ethiopia are now all in This.
Speaker 1: A weird story out of Washington. Teenage boy in custody, five people killed inside a home outside of Seattle Fall City. Have you heard of false? Oh yeah, oh, I had not right up off of I ninety. It's just north of ninetyes.
Speaker 4: All right, I guess it's just been a while too.
Speaker 1: Police responded to reports of his shooting yesterday there in Falls, city east of Seattle, found three children and two adults dead at the home. Another person in their mid teens was hospitalized and stable condition. Don't know what the relationship is, but it looks like a familial mass murder.
Speaker 2: I saw a report that it was a fifteen year old boy, three brothers, mom, and dad, and that the survivor was the sister, which she was shot right, shot twice.
Speaker 4: I think, so was it a murder suicide?
Speaker 2: He didn't kill himself? Oh, he did not, And there was They said, no incident. No, what would you call it? It was an easy arrest. I guess for when officers did show up.
Speaker 1: Forbes is out with the list of the best Halloween vacation destinations. I didn't know that Halloween was a vacation time.
Speaker 4: Strange list.
Speaker 1: At the top of the list is New Orleans, No think Witchy somewhere up in Massachusetts. Salem, Massachusetts, the site of the witch trials of sixteen ninety two. Next up is Sleepy Hollow, New York, setting in the famous Washington Irving tale about the Headless Horseman, and then New Orleans for turning its Halloween celebrations up to eleven Anoka, Minnesota, gets a spot on the list for its family friendly celebrations, including numerous parades. Oh and then Savannah, Georgia's number five one of the most haunted cities in America.
Speaker 2: I know that we talked about using your speakerphone in public for some reason, and we didn't understand exactly Aarian Shannon.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm one of these speakerphone talkers, though I don't like to do it around other people, and I try to self manage myself to not be around other people. I don't need them here in my phone conversations, but one is just more comfortable and easier. Two I don't like putting up to my ear and then three my phone, my iPhone is a little tweaked and broke, but I can't do plugin headphones, and to get Bluetooth headphones is expensive.
Speaker 4: Et cetera.
Speaker 8: So I like to use my speakerphone all the time. It's my norm, but not around other people. That is annoying.
Speaker 4: That's okay, fair.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know why it's easier to hold it out in front of you than it is to if you're at home and you could put it somewhere.
Speaker 4: That's one thing.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking about people that are going for a walk or sometimes jogging even and they're holding their speakerphone out.
Speaker 7: Hey Gary is shan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately with my phone, I have to speak on a speakerphone because the little ear piece thing at the top of my phone doesn't work, and I can't afford to upgrade my phone, so I kind of get stuck and dealing with having to speak on the speakerphone. Personally, I don't like doing it either, But you know, you do what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Do what you gotta do. You do it is what it is, Do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: Gavin Newsom has made some comments to Pullo during an interview as he was campaigning for Vice President Harris in North Carolina. How does Gavin Newsom go over in North Carolina. I'd love to know what people think of him. Yeah, flying in from California and campaigning for anybody in North Carolina. But there is a legal dispute going on between Elon Musk and the California Coastal Commission over the number of rocket launches that SpaceX can do from Vandenberg Space Force Space, and when the Coastal Commission voted against increasing the number of SpaceX launches.
Speaker 4: There was apparently some.
Speaker 2: Suggestion that it was Gavin new Sorry, that it was Elon Musk's political considerations, his political leanings and his vocalization about politics, that made the Coastal Commission vote against him. As opposed to anything scientific about all of this, Gavin Newsom said over the weekend, I'm with Elon.
Speaker 4: All of this was.
Speaker 2: Again around the Coastal Commission's rejection of SpaceX's plan to increase the number of rocket launches.
Speaker 4: They wanted to go up to about one a week.
Speaker 2: That'd be fifty a year, and the Commission is trying to figure out their job is to regulate development of land to protect natural resources along the coast. They most recently agreed to up the number to thirty six SpaceX launches a year, and so far this year they've launched thirty four. The most recent one just happened on Saturday, so they they're on track. I mean, they're going to hit that number, no problem. Military officials said they expect to submit another request in a few months to increase the number of launches to one hundred a year, but they did cite Elon Musk's political influence and his company's labor records as reasons why they voted to reject the place. Nothing about regulation of land development or protecting natural resourceage, which is their job. They said it was all about politics and what he said was his the labor record at companies that he owns. SpaceX has sued and the governor is at least on SpaceX's side here.
Speaker 1: Apparently he was at UNC Charlotte talking to students, so not at like an adults rally.
Speaker 4: That's a little brutal, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: And this is more I said to see me and I'm calling about the speakerphone.
Speaker 7: I do that all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm totally guilty of it, and.
Speaker 5: It's because it's just I can multitask better if I'm holding the.
Speaker 1: Phone, and I feel like I can hear the person better and the phone doesn't get hot on my face.
Speaker 4: But I am aware that it is rude.
Speaker 1: So I'll catch myself like a costo, like, oh, I got to like not be on speakerphone.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I hope that helps.
Speaker 9: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: I want to know what that realization is, though, what do you what?
Speaker 2: I would you just say out loud that maybe someone turned and looked at you and reacted to what you were saying out loud that you then said, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I so the woman who walks by my place when I'm sitting outside with her dog and uh and is on the speaker phone and just having her conversation out in the open. It was a quiet day. When she notices me sitting outside and that with I'm in earshot, she gives me a look like how dare you?
Speaker 4: How dare you listen to my phone? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like why are you listening? And I'm like, I'm just sitting here reading a book. Lady, you know you're the one who's opening up your life to everybody. I don't want to hear this conversation.
Speaker 2: And then she says down onto the phone, I can't believe this lady is totally interrupting my ranks.
Speaker 4: It's totally eavesdropping. It's like, how can you not I love.
Speaker 7: The show this morning.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I always to use the speakerphone phone because I don't want to get the Dane Brammage holding it to my head.
Speaker 4: The Dane Brandage. Fine, did he just say the Dane Brammage? Yeah, he's being funny.
Speaker 8: Oh, I was talking on the speakerphone because my face is too fat and sweating. And when I have the phone up starts pushing buttons and stuff and dialing.
Speaker 4: Honest crap, and I'm on the phone. So yeah, I was totally get that phone does this? So do that because when I if you.
Speaker 1: Might as a press buttons, but I have like I won't. I was in Pittsburgh for that game and it was really hot. I was on the phone. I take my phone away from my face. That was sweating profusely.
Speaker 4: And you could see your face.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting makeup and sweat.
Speaker 4: Sorry cool, I know, right, guys. Great news.
Speaker 2: You could walk from Dodger Stadium to the nearest Metro route in twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: The fact that Metro put this out is a liability problem because it's a sketchy route. What they're trying to do is get you to the A line in Chinatown and they take you on some shape. I've walked a lot around Dodger Stadium. I've never taken a route this shady. This is the Eye ten pedestrian bridge. You will get shanked and die.
Speaker 2: Metro post my disclaimer on social media, urging fans to walk to and from the stadium to the Chinatown rail station. After the home games as they appear. The first two games Sunday month or Friday and Saturday going to be at Dodger State Friday is going to be an absolute nightmare, oh wise, because you've got the Dodger game, Dodgers playing the Yankees first game of the World Series, you have USC playing Rutgers at the Coliseum.
Speaker 4: I believe there's a game at Crypto. There's a concert at Crypto, doesn't matter because it's really far away.
Speaker 2: There's a concert at the Forum, there's a concert at the into it, there's a high school football game at so far Crypto.
Speaker 1: I was thinking into it, into it and the SOFI Stu Englewood.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: But if you drive from Huntington to Dodger Stadium to go to the game, you're gonna get caught up in all of this stuff. So that's why Metro puts this out giving you an option to walk to and from. So somebody from Channel seven I actually walked this path. The video says it could be done at about twenty five minutes, and they tip it off and say, hey, most of this trip from Dodger Stadium to the Chinatown rail station is downhill.
Speaker 6: Yes, you can walk the Metro rail ass at Dodgers games. It's all downhill and only takes about twenty five minutes. Start by taking a walk rate to the downtown gate. Yeah, that's right, I'm walking here.
Speaker 1: It shows it's a catchy song.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then take a right on Stadium Way.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where I want to stop you. Yes, you take a right on Stadium Way to get out of the gate, to get to Stadium Way. There's no sidewalk. No, it's not designed for large groups of people to walk with their feats and their chevro legs. There's no lighting and there's no I you know what they I shouldn't say this. I shouldn't say it's all. They should add lighting. They just should know that they have had problems in the past.
Speaker 1: But I have gone in recent years and it's still not a well lit area even where there are lights.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The channel area Channel seven says they did it in fifteen minutes, just over fifteen minutes, so it was better than the estimate that Metro put out, and also said that it wasn't from the base of the stadium that could add about five more minutes.
Speaker 4: On to the walk.
Speaker 2: Executive director of Safe Streets Are for Everyone Safe Sorry, seat Streets are for Everyone called Safe. Damien Kevitt is the executive director. They have talked about one of their big pushes is to make streets safe for pedestrians and bicyclists, and Damien says, possibly a lot of people are laughing at this and going, are you kidding? I would never walk this is Los Angeles. But we need to walk more. It's true we need to walk more. Okay, which comes first, me walking more or it being safe for me to walk more?
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 2: As far as physical safety, there's some concerns that people may see as deal breakers. And again this is the guy who tries to make streets safer for pedestrians in La even he says, there are some sketchy spots along that walk there, so it's probably not a walk that everyone should be comfortable with. There's some crossings there that are a little bit on the sketchy side from a road safety perspective. Not to mention just getting out of the stadium, you have a lot of cars leaving the stadium at the same time.
Speaker 1: That pedestrian walkway looks like a freaking crime scene.
Speaker 5: Is that the one?
Speaker 7: The one?
Speaker 5: Ten?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, some some tricky situations there, especially where you've got crossings, But Damien says he thinks Metro's idea is a solid plan could help alleviate traffic messages that come with Dodger games, and you may actually save time. The only time I've taken rideshare away from Dodger Stadium, I think we did it once.
Speaker 4: It was it was awful. It was I don't know if they've changed it.
Speaker 2: That was three or four years ago, but I don't know if they've changed it since then, but it was awful.
Speaker 1: I've it's gotten better at stadiums, but the last time I took it and was at Levi's, I think, and it was a complete nightmare, complete nightmare. Confusion, the weight, the lack of signage, all of it. Leaving stadiums is my least favorite thing. My dad used to have this it also means that the game's over. Well, no, it's just too many people alter to get out at same time. My dad used to this rule when we'd go to Niner games that we'd leave the very latest we'd leave is four minutes on the clock. And it drove as crazy as kids, like, what do you mean, there's still four minutes on the clock. We want to stay unless it was a close game, and then he would start walking out with four minutes on the clock, but like stop at the top of the just so that you could get in your car and get out of there before everybody else. And it was only till I was adult and I drove to the game's my own that I was like, Okay, that makes sense because it sitting in the car for two hours trying to leave a stadium win or lose sucks the fun.
Speaker 4: Out of it.
Speaker 2: My nightmare scenario happened at Candlestick Park. There was a kid who was reported missing in about the seventh inning, where they made an announcement in the stadium something like, hey, hey, Bobby, come meet your parents at the so and so arena or find the nearest security usher or something like that, and they kept saying that. They came back of the eighth inning and they said something the ninth inning and they said something, We get in the car to leave, and they're inspecting every car leaving Chastic Park.
Speaker 4: What year was this man? Ninety two three four somewhere in there. Yeah, and I mean, is shelled abduction high high season. It took three hours to get out of the parking. That's awful. Wow, And you're tired.
Speaker 1: And you don't want them seeing all the drugs in your car. I bet you were packing heat and everything.
Speaker 4: Not then, oh, not that. Two reasons for speaking on speaker phone One carpal tunnel. Two everybody thinks they're going to get cancer from their phone. What is the carpal tunnel?
Speaker 1: I guess if you're holding it, I guess, So don't do that with your hand.
Speaker 4: That's definitely gonna give you a carpel tunnel.
Speaker 7: So I'm an amateur radio operator and my wife and I was at a grocery store and this guy's walking down the aisle with his Bluetooth earpiece sticking in his hand. And I laid over to my wife and I says, look at this guy, like anybody is concerned about what kind of green beans he's going to buy today. He's so important he might get a call any second. So I'm just going off on this guy being a total jerk. And my wife means back to me, and she says, you have a ham radio on your belt.
Speaker 4: Ooh oh. I hope you guys are still together. Ham Radio on your belt. That's next level. He's a dedication to radio. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app