Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and it's time to start talking back to schools and packing the backpacks.
Speaker 2: And we have Debbie and Cindy here with us today. How are we doing, ladies, great, we're good.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: What I tell you what?
Speaker 1: It's been a short summer, it seems, but you're ready to get things rocking and rolling.
Speaker 4: We've been very busy, Oh my gosh, buying things.
Speaker 2: How's the shopping being going along?
Speaker 3: Well, so far, so good.
Speaker 5: I ordered like seven hundred and twenty notebooks and we're just getting ready.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just a drop in the bucket, tom.
Speaker 2: Oh it is. Well, that seemed like a large number. Now how many backpacks you're thinking we're going to be using.
Speaker 4: We are going to be packing two thousand, five hundred and one backpacks. And that's the number of applications that we've received this year.
Speaker 3: And then we do get light backpacks.
Speaker 5: They don't get a backpack, but they get what supplies we have left.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So yeah, how long you've been Has this been an operation.
Speaker 3: Twenty five years? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yep? Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, this is unbelievable. So do you need volunteers?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Do you want to go?
Speaker 2: We need them. I just saw that a little thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So in the next eight days we're going to pack all of those backpacks and distribute them. So there are four packing times this Thursday the thirtieth from six to eight pm, Friday morning from nine thirty to eleven thirty, Friday afternoon one thirty to three thirty, and Saturday, August I from nine thirty to eleven thirty. And we will be completely finished when we finish those shifts.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, City, You've told me this time and time again. It's a well oiled machine. A lot of folks already know what they're doing before they can get in there.
Speaker 5: People are so impressed when they come and they realize how organized it is.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you do it so many years, you learn better and better how to.
Speaker 5: Do it, and so we think we have it fairly perfected, but then you never know what might happen.
Speaker 1: We're ready, So volunteers, how do we become a volunteer?
Speaker 3: Well, we do have a.
Speaker 4: Sign up genius site that's off of our website. But even if the shift is full, just come on down to Saint Luke's Episcopal Church during the times that we've said and just there'll be a desk there and a lovely lady named Pat will sign you in and get you going.
Speaker 2: Wow. I understand we have some fun coming up too, we do.
Speaker 5: We have Bingo September the eighteenth. It's a Friday night.
Speaker 3: At Saint Luke's. And you know, every we.
Speaker 5: Tried to have something besides Frido Chili Pie, and we had people kept saying, where is that Fredo Chili Pie?
Speaker 2: Got to stick with.
Speaker 3: That is exactly right.
Speaker 5: And then we also have two days where they can support us by going to local restaurants. They can go to mc allisters on August the tenth between five and nine and I think we get twenty percent of the yes. And then Panda Express on Friday, August the fourteenth, all day, So go out and eat, folks, then help us out.
Speaker 1: I don't need to be convinced too much now that it's for a great cause. Double it up, baby, Let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Check our Facebook page Washington County School Supply Drive for more details about those fundraisers.
Speaker 3: There'll be flyers on.
Speaker 4: There and we'll also be handing them out during the time our parents come and get the backpacks Layter.
Speaker 1: Wow, So that that's got to be a day right there, two days, two days, that's going to.
Speaker 2: Be two days right there.
Speaker 1: Yes, where parents come in and I can just imagine the relief on their base.
Speaker 5: Well, and I signed kids up at it Mary Martha Outreach and a lot of the parents will come through on this. I've already signed up online and they let me know. And we really try to reach a lot of people. You know, we all go to a copy and we have flyers all over, so we really are trying these parents rely on us.
Speaker 2: Now the use for Washington County kids primarily all.
Speaker 4: Washington County schools in Washington County, even private schools.
Speaker 3: Wow, we apply well.
Speaker 5: And the main reason we do private schools because we want people to realize it's because someone might be on the scholarship. Sure, so we don't just necessarily say if you send your child to our private school, you can get our supplies.
Speaker 1: There are some kids in that private school by the skin of their financial.
Speaker 5: Saclan and so we really want to and not only do we help students, we feel like we help the teachers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do I've got a lot of educators in my family, and I can't tell you the quiet time, they don't say much about it, but they dig into their own pockets quite a bit.
Speaker 3: You have to yeah, right, God, so this is.
Speaker 1: Wonderful now outside of going to the restaurants and you know, enjoying a nice meal and putting a fabulous twenty percent into the backpacks. Are you opposed to anyone writing you a healthy check for proble?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I just want to make sure I didn't want to insult anybody.
Speaker 3: No, And we do apply for grants.
Speaker 5: There's certain stipulations and so the people that apply on our behalf and our group have to go through quite a bit to get the applications ready to see and in so we are appreciate any and everything we get.
Speaker 4: We also have a very active church group of churches that are doing what we call Product of the Month, and every month we send out the item that we would like for them to purchase and they will we come and pick it up and they and they have really made a difference in our in our things that we get donated, actual things, you know, like products like twelve count colored pencils or crayons, or black dry erase markers. Do you know that we use over seven thousand bluesticks.
Speaker 3: In this operation.
Speaker 2: I believe that somehow for that kind of adds.
Speaker 4: Exactly, And so they they really enjoy at Saint Luke's. They just have a ask it outside the sanctuary and you just pop in your thing and at the end of the month they'll bring it to us. So if any churches out there would love to join in our group, they can send a contact in through our.
Speaker 3: Website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pack the Backpacks all one dot org.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think this is a good time too to plug Saint Luke's. They are fantastic to us.
Speaker 5: They let us in in June and we just take over there downstairs and then they let us have a whole week upstairs and they're just amazing for what they do for us, and we just they are a true supporter of our community and.
Speaker 2: Pack the Backpacks wonderful partners, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know what we would do without them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be harder, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So once again, we have the website, we have the Facebook page, and of course we've mentioned the dates we're going to put that in the news story that we're going to put out here a little bit later today, so that it's in case you heard the dates and you didn't have a chance to write them down.
Speaker 2: We're going to go ahead.
Speaker 5: And take care and we will give those to you right now before we leave.
Speaker 2: Let's do that again right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, which part?
Speaker 2: Let's go with the packing dates.
Speaker 4: Okay, packing dates volunteers. Yeah, Yes, Thursday night six to eight, Friday morning nine thirty to eleven thirty, Friday afternoon one to three thirty, Saturday morning nine thirty to eleven thirty. And this is a family friendly event. Yes, kids love to come and help us pack the backpacks.
Speaker 3: So to get a kickout, yeah, brand your whole family.
Speaker 1: Du Yeah, oh my, well, you know it's because all of a sudden they're helping like.
Speaker 3: The big people exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's also a great way to teach them the spirit of.
Speaker 3: Volunteerism too, exactly.
Speaker 5: And that's one of the most important things you can do is get back to your community.
Speaker 2: Sure it is. Yeah, the community gives us a lot.
Speaker 5: And then don't forget Mingo September eighteenth, and we also go to Mcallisters on August tenth and Panda Express on August fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, those dates are very very important and we'll make sure that we have those clearly marked in the news story. Well, thank you ladies for coming in. I want to thank you in advance for all the time and effort you're going to be putting in packing those backpacks this weekend.
Speaker 3: And we thank you for always having us door.
Speaker 2: It's always open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 2: He thank you very much. Folks. You've been watching and listening to our community connection