Speaker 1: Hello, and thanks for joining us here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Well today we continue in our series called God's Prescription for a Healthy Life. In it, Pastor Rick will show you how to improve your health physically, spiritually, relationally, and emotionally by applying the five essentials needed.
Speaker 2: For a more vibrant life.
Speaker 1: If you want to have what it takes to live out your calling in life, stay with us for this amazing series. In just a few moments, we're going to tell you about Pastor Rick Warren's best selling book called The Daniel Plan. This amazing book will revolutionize the way you look at health, food, and friendships forever. You can find out more right now by going to Pastorick dot com while you listen to today's message, or you can just text the word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com or the Daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick with part one of a message called God's Prescription for Health.
Speaker 3: This week, I want us to look at your physical health and we're gonna look at God's Prescription for physical help.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Before we look at this, I need to begin with a confession. I grew up in a family where we were taught you don't drink, smoke, cuss, chew, or run around with girls that do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: In my lifetime, I've never smoked a cigarette. I've never tasted alcohol. I've never taken an illicit drug. But I love pasta, and that's why they call me pasta rick. All right, Now, we all have our drug of choice, and my drug of choice.
Speaker 2: Has been food.
Speaker 3: Now, I grew up in a family with the centerpiece that literally dominated all the other furniture in our house was the dining room table. Now I'm not just talking about a little kitchenette. This thing was twelve maybe fourteen feet long. It was at least five feet wide. I'm not making this up. It was a four inch thick slab of a single piece of redwood. I grew up in northern California, in the Redwoods, in a little town called Redwood Valley, and we had a lumberman who actually milled this from a single tree. The dining room table at the Warren home dominated not just the dining room, but the room and every other room of the house, and every major function of our house. Revolved around that table. Every happy memory in my life growing up was connected to food. Every sad memory in my life was connected to food. Everything between those two extremes was connected to food. And so while we didn't drink some custome, we certainly did enjoy a lot of food. My mom liked to cook, my dad grew at least an acre in garden, We raised their own cattle, and there was always plenty on the table. And I have to be honest with you, I've never really paid much attention to my health until my mid twenties. I was as skinny as a bean pole. I mean, I was one of those guys you hate who you could literally eat everything and not gain an ounce. And that's why it was. And then I got married. Now I'm not blaming k she has no responsibility that she's an incredible cook, but I don't know. Something slowed down in me and I started packing on the palace and honestly, never really did pay much attention to my health until this year. I had a little epiphany, a Damascus road experience. The light kind of finally clicked on in my mind. And it happened the day that a few months ago I baptized on a single day, over eight hundred of you.
Speaker 2: Now, by the way, at the end of that day.
Speaker 3: I was stith, can shoot, I think I'm going to become a Catholic. I like this thing about the sprinkle little water, you know, this thing about dipping them underwater. Shoot, Methodist Presbyterian, I like that. You know, forget what Jesus did. Let's just do it the easy way. Okay, let's just throw a little water on. Let me get a fire hydrant and you know, gota maybe we'll throw in a car washed.
Speaker 2: With it, you know, And no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: But after baptizing eight hundred people in our church by immersion, I realized we're all getting heavy. This is your father's saddleback. And so I started doing a little research on this, and I discovered that nearly seven in ten Americans, sixty nine percent of Americans are overweight.
Speaker 2: Overweight.
Speaker 3: I discovered that diabetes and heart disease have exploded as pandemic diseases because of weight related issues. We now have eighty million people in America who are diabetic or pre diabetic. That's phenomenally large number compared to even just ten years ago. I studied some CDC Center for Disease Control statistics and learned that in nineteen ninety five, there was not a single state in all fifty states that had more than twenty percent obese in their state. Today, there's not a single state that doesn't have at least twenty percent obese in their state. We are packing on the pounds. And then as I thought about globally, as we've traveled around the world in these one hundred and ninety five nations in the last seventy seven years, and you know, peace stands for plant churches, equipped leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, educate the next generation and the sea, and care for the sick. We have focused almost exclusively on infectious diseases for the past seven years in the Peace Plant and so we've helped people with measles and mumps and malaria and yellow fever and typhus and polio and aids and their infectious diseases, water born eye diseases and things like that. And I discovered that actually infectious diseases in the world are actually going down, and chronic diseases are going up. In other words, by the end of this decade, twenty million people a year will die from infectious diseases in the world. Now, that's unacceptable, but fifty million a year will die from weight related diseases.
Speaker 2: More people are.
Speaker 3: Going to die from diabetes and from heart disease than from infectious diseases, a totally manageable problem. And then I discovered another amazing statistic that right now globally in the world, as many people are dying from obesity as are dying from malnutrition first time in history, one point one billion.
Speaker 2: In each category.
Speaker 3: As many people today are dying from being overweight as are dying from malnutrition in the world today. So I'm thinking, I cannot ask our church to get healthy. If I don't get serious about this, if I don't do something about myself, I cannot. I've never asked you to do anything that I haven't already modeled. Now the truth is, you already know what to do. This is not rocket science. It's not brain surgery. To get healthy, you've got to eat healthy, and you've got to eat less.
Speaker 2: You've got to get moving.
Speaker 3: You've got to move it okay, You've got to get proper sleep, and you've got to lower the stress and get more rest in your life. This is not rocket science. You know this, so there's nothing I can teach you on that today. But what I want to do today is to focus on the motivation, the.
Speaker 2: Why why do you not stick?
Speaker 3: And why do I stick with get in shape programs, get healthy programs, diets, exercise and whatever. How many times have you set a resolution to get in shape and a month later it's out the window? And the reason why is if you don't have the right motivation, you will not stick with it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us today for Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. A short time back, God put it on Pastor Rick's heart to connect with the team of leading health experts to create the Daniel Plan.
Speaker 2: Meet Joel.
Speaker 5: I tried to lose weight. I tried to make the changes, and nothing seemed to work because it was all based on my willpower. When I started with the program, I immediately noticed changes mainly because I wanted to be healthy. I had the tools to eat properly, I understood exercise, and I had motivation. I saw that I could get healthy finally, that I could make the changes that I tried my whole life to make.
Speaker 4: More than one hundred and eighty thousand people are following the Daniel Plan to lose weight, increase their energy, and improve their relationships, all while growing closer to the Lord.
Speaker 5: With the Daniel Plan, I've lost seventy five pounds and I've reached what I think is my ideal weight where I feel healthy. In fact, I just recently competed in an Ironman triathlon competition that's one hundred and forty point six miles of racing. When I found the Daniel Plan and its principles, I was given the tools to finally make the changes.
Speaker 4: Let Pastor Rick send you a hardcover copy of his best selling book, The Daniel Plan today as his way of saying thanks for your financial gift to this listener supported me ministry.
Speaker 2: Go to pastor Rigg.
Speaker 4: Dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four right now. That's pastorrig dot com with two rs in the middle or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four and thanks for prayerfully considering giving to help support this ministry. There are only two days left to get this special offer and receive the Daniel Planned Book, So act now and call one eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or visit pastor Rick dot com.
Speaker 2: Once again, here's Pastor Rick.
Speaker 3: All right, first, let's look at what God says about the importance of your physical health. And the Bible says this. First Corinthians, chapter six is the classic passage on the body. Here it is on the screen. Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me. In other words, I got the freedom to do anything, but I will not be mastered by anything. What does God saying here? He said, you know some things in life, they're just not necessarily wrong. They're just not necessary. Does that make sense? Okay, You're free to do whatever you want, but not everything is beneficial or or. And I'm not gonna be mastered by anything. I'm not gonna let it dominate me. I'm not gonna be addicted to anything. Food is for the stomach, and the stomach for food, but God's going to destroy both. In other words, they're not gonna last forever. So that's not the real reason you're here. Then he says, the body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the.
Speaker 2: Lord, and the Lord for the body.
Speaker 3: By his power, God raised the Lord from the dead, and he's gonna raise us up.
Speaker 2: I mean, He's gonna physically raise up your body.
Speaker 3: Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Now flee, The Bible says, from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body. But he has sent sexually sins against his own body. It's a different class. Do you not know that you're your body is a temple? This is where that phrase comes from. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God. You are not your own. You were bought at a price Jesus paid for you. Therefore, honor God with your body. Now, this passage teaches us six radical counterculture things about your body.
Speaker 2: You need to write these down.
Speaker 3: This is the exact opposite of what culture teaches you today, what the media teaches you today about your body.
Speaker 2: Okay, here they are number one.
Speaker 3: The first thing is that God expects me to manage my body. God expects me to manage my body.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not the owner. I'm the manager.
Speaker 3: God is the owner of my body, but I am the manager. The Bible word is the word steward. Stewardship is the Old English word for management, and we're talking about the stewardship of health today. In other words, I cannot blame other people for how I use or misuse or abuse my body. I can't blame anybody else. I'm the manager. My body is a gift from God on loan. God owns it and then he loans it to me. And one day I'm going to give an account. One day I'm going to stand before God and he's going to say, what did you do with what I gave you? Okay, We've talked about this many times, that life is a test, It is preparation for eternity, and God is seeing what he can trust you with. What did you do with the help I gave you? What did you do with the mind I gave you? What did you do with the opportunities, the abilities, the freedom, the wealth, all the things? What did you do with what I gave you. And one of the things is going to say is what did you do with the body that I gave you? And God is watching to see what you do.
Speaker 2: So I'm a.
Speaker 3: Caretaker of my body. God expects me to manage it. Number two, my body is God's property. Now that's fighting words here in America because all of us were taught growing up. My body is my own body, and it's my body, and I'll do what I want to with it, and God says, no, you won't. It's not your body. It's my body. I just loaned it to you. It's not yours because you didn't create it. Everything that you see was created by God and the creator owns it all. You don't own anything. It's loaned to you. Just like we talked about your money last week. You don't own your money. It's loaned to you for about eighty years. It was somebody else before you were born. It's going to be somebody else after you die. You just use it while you're here. He owns it and he loans it. And my body is God's property. The body, the Bible says, is not meant for sexual limorlity, but for the Lord. Why because it's his and the Lord for the body. In other words, I don't have the right to just share my body with anybody, and neither do you. Now that's a radical concept. See what Americans do today that make the common mistakes that the Greeks did, which is called dualism. Back in the days of Aristotle and Socrates and Plato, the Greeks believed in dualism, which was we separate.
Speaker 2: The mind and the body.
Speaker 3: And they said, you know, really what matters is just that your spirit or your mind, your spirit is.
Speaker 2: Right with God.
Speaker 3: And if your spirit is right with God, doesn't really matter what you do with your body. They devalued the body. In fact, they taught the body is evil, so really it doesn't matter if you mess up your body because it's just evil. What only really matters is your spirit. And the Bible says that's absolutely false.
Speaker 2: Your body is not evil.
Speaker 3: Your body is holy because God made it, and everything God makes he makes for a purpose. God has never made anything else without a purpose. And so don't compartmentalize that. You know, all it really matters is my spirit, not my body. It both matters.
Speaker 2: That's a myth.
Speaker 3: Now I have to admit that growing up in a church home, I never in my entire life heard a single sermon on the body, not one. I've never heard one. I've heard him talk about the importance of your spirit, the importance of your soul, the importance of your mind, the importance of your character, the importance of your values. I'd never heard a single sermon on the importance of your body. So most Christians have no theology of health. But the fact is God owns your God He's the boss of your body. You may not like it, but it's a truth. God owns it and expects you to manage it well. Number Three, the third thing this passage teaches is that my body will be resurrected after I die. My body will be resurrected after I die. Now, God never waste anything. He never wastes a hurt. If you'll give it to him, He'll take even the hurt things in your life and turn them around and use them for good. He doesn't waste any God recycles and God says, I'm not you think that body gave you that's just it. No, No, we're gonna We're gonna recycle it. Right now, you're living in version one point oh. In heaven, you're gonna get version two point oh, but you will have a body. Some people think that when you get to heaven you're just gonna be this. I'm more for a spirit, just kind of floating around like me, the forest be with you. Other people think they're gonna be angels. You're not going to be an angel. Angels or angels. People are people. A lot of times people get their idea of heaven is white, robe wings, playing a harp, sitting on a cloud.
Speaker 2: Friends.
Speaker 3: To me, that would be hell. I can't think of anything more boring than that. And why is heaven all white?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Who do you think created color? God did? Who do you think created taste buds?
Speaker 2: God did?
Speaker 3: Who do you he ain't created all the sights and sounds and gave us music?
Speaker 2: God did?
Speaker 3: Who do you think created all of beauty and gave us eyes to see it?
Speaker 2: God did?
Speaker 3: And if the world is broken and it's this beautiful, what do you think Heaven's going to be? Like multicolor extravaganza?
Speaker 2: Like you can't believe? Not some white cloud thing?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right now, the Bible says this one Corinthia six fourteen by his power. God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us up. Also, do you see how important your body is? God says, I'm not through with this. You know, I'm gonna resurrect your body. Said, well, what is it gonna get all the kid in the ground? Well, yeah, or you might be cremated. But God says, I'm still going to resurrect it. I'm gonna put it together in version two point zero. And he can do anything if you created a universe, he said, what's my resurrected body going to be?
Speaker 2: Like, well, we don't really know. We do know that.
Speaker 3: After Jesus was resurrected and he walked around Jerusalem for forty days one time was seen by five hundre people and talk to them different people that he could actually his body had some kind of capability to dematerialize, because he could appear in a room without walking through the door. That'd be kind of cool, okay, kind of like Star Trek, you know, de materialized. But everybody recognized him. They recognized him, and so that gives us a clue that when you get to heaven, you're going to have a different kind of body than you've got right now. But everybody's going to know who you are. You're still going to be you. You're just going to be you version two point zero with no blemishes, perfect in every form. You're going to be you in perfect format. Now, no, I want you to circle on this phrase. The phrase by his power. By his power, God raised the Lord from the dead. See, this is one of the three reasons why we don't stick with diets, one of the three reasons we don't stick with our get healthy programs, And the first reason is we use willpower instead of God power. Now, willpower, friends, works for about three weeks, and then you get tired and you go off the diet, you start smoking again because willpower is not enough to change.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's daily hope. We're so thankful that you've chosen to spend time with us. If you've missed any part of this broadcast, including portions we didn't have time for today, just go to Pastorrick dot com and listen online anytime. Rick will be back to close out our time today. But first, after baptizing more than eight hundred people in one afternoon, Pastor Rick quickly realized just how out of shape he was and everyone else in that baptismal pool. Soon afterward, God put it on Rick's heart to connect with a team of leading experts to create The Daniel Plan, a powerful Bible based program that has helped more than fifteen thousand people lose weight, increase their energy, and improve their relationships, all while growing closer to the Lord. Stop starving yourself to lose weight and then blaming yourself for putting it back on. Start enjoining whole health Today. Let Pastor Rick send you a hardcover copy of his best selling book, The Daniel Plan today as his way of saying thanks for your financial gift to this listener's supported ministry. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four to get this powerful resource, or you can visit Pastorick dot com today. There are only two days left to get this awesome study tool, so please contact us today again. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or Pastorick dot com. Here's Pastor Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: I share a letter from John who says he's been reading the Daily Hope Devotionals for ten years. Wow. Great John. John says he uses these written devotionals every morning to start his daily prayer and Bible reading, and he writes this, Pastor Rick, I started receiving your Daily Hope devotionals about ten years ago. Not only did they bless my life and help me with my daily walk, I would save them and send them to my friends when issues or questions would come up. So I look forward every morning to reading these devotionals, which typically start my daily prayer and Bible reading. You know, I recently got my boss signed up for Daily Hope devotionals and it hit me how powerful they really are. You know, my wife and I decided to support Daily Hope over and above our tithe to our church to help you bring one more to Jesus. Well, John, your message is so special to me. You have really blessed me with this letter because I'm glad for three reasons. First, that you have grown as a Christian through Daily Hope. Second, I'm glad that you're using the Daily Hope to help you study God's Word in a personal basis. And third, I want to thank you for karen enough to help other people that you have given generously of your funds and gifts to help us stay on the air and to allow us to actually even expand into other stations to take the good news of hope to places where it is desperately needed.
Speaker 2: So John, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, please feel free to send him an email at Rick at pastorick dot com. That's Rick at pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.